PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Broncos; Final whistle for Berrigan

Queenslander
20-03-06, 10:41 AM
Final whistle for Berrigan
By Steve Ricketts
March 20, 2006

BRONCOS hooker Barry Berrigan is set to retire after further complications from a neck problem.

Berrigan, 30, played the full 80 minutes of his "comeback" match for Broncos feeder team Toowoomba on Saturday but reported pins and needles in the arms afterwards.

"He was very depressed when I saw him today," Toowoomba coach Mark Gee said yesterday.

"He was going to see (club doctor) Peter Friis when he got back from Sydney. Hopefully it is good news for Barry but I think he is on borrowed time."

The Courier-Mail

Eel 33
20-03-06, 10:49 AM
That's unfortunate for Berrigan and the Broncos. He's thinking of his health first, if you do retire all the best for your future Barry.

Queenslander
20-03-06, 10:52 AM
The signing of Michael Ennis was the last nail in the coffin for what was a good but short career at the Broncos. Injuries too played a major part its a shame that he has to retire, he would have played very well for Toowoomba in the Queensland Cup.

[BroncosGirl]
20-03-06, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the good times Bazza :p!! He had a good career, pity injuries got the best of him!

TITANS007
20-03-06, 11:27 AM
A terrible way for any player to have to retire. He was playing well prior to his injury. Must have been a great feeling to be able to play alongside you brother in a professional sport. Good to see he is thinking about his long term health rather than playing sport now. A neck injury is not something to take lightly, and I'm glad he's got his priorities right. Congratulations to Barry for making a tough and corageous decision, and for an impressive, even if short, NRL career.