PDA

View Full Version : Round 2: TITANS vs NZ WARRIORS (2022)

DIEHARD
28-01-22, 01:58 PM
TITANS vs NZ WARRIORS
2pm Saturday, 19 March 2022. Cbus Super Stadium, Gold Coast

Match details: https://www.titans.com.au/draw/nrl-premiership/2022/round-2-titans-v-warriors/

DIEHARD
10-03-22, 07:37 PM
5 reasons to buy a ticket to our Super Saturday Double Header!
https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/03/10/5-reasons-to-buy-a-ticket-to-our-super-saturday-double-header/

Footy is back on the Gold Coast on Saturday, 19th of March.

And if that didn't get your blood pumping, we've put together the top 5 reasons to buy tickets and come along and watch the action.

BUY TICKETS NOW (https://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/Show.aspx?sh=TIT0222)

1. $20 from every ticket goes to Flood Recovery Programs!

With communities from Logan to Lismore impacted by the severe weather event, the Titans have announced that the club will donate over $100,000 to help people get back on their feet.

As part of this, the club will donate $10 from every ticket sold for the fixture on March 19th at Cbus Super Stadium.

Village Roadshow Theme Parks have announced they will match that amount, meaning $20 from every ticket sold will now be sent to flood recovery.

That’s most of the ticket price, so do your part to help us raise even more money by packing out Cbus Super Stadium next week!

2. Witness the debut of our live in-house band!

Earlier this year, we ran a competition with our partners 102.9 Hot Tomato to find the Gold Coast’s most energetic live band to rock out every Titans home game this season.

Well… we found them! And our first home game against the Warriors will be their first time on stage turning up the noise and building the atmosphere.

BUY TICKETS NOW! (https://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/Show.aspx?sh=TIT0222)

3. Our first ever NRLW home game
Saturday March 19th is our first ever NRL and NRLW double header!

Fresh off their first win, our women will go up against the Brisbane Broncos in the NRLW’s first ever Queensland Derby.

This NRLW season has been the most watched, most successful season yet – come early and get amongst the action as the women look to make it 2 in a row.

4. Dave Fifita scored 3 hat-tricks last season
We have one of the most electric attacks in the NRL. A combination of youth and skill, our attack is spearheaded by the likes of Dave Fifita and Jayden Campbell.

Fifita scored 3 hattricks at Cbus Super Stadium last season, on his way to scoring the most tries by any forward in the competition in 2021.

If you love fast footy, big moments and highlight reel moments – don’t miss it.

5. Where else would you rather be?
Rain, hail or shine, Cbus Super Stadium is the place to be this season when the Titans run out.

Whether it’s with your family, your mates, or with the Titans Legion, there’s a place for everyone in our Stadium and we want you there with us.

Feel the energy on Saturday, March 19 as we kick off our home game season with a massive double header against the Warriors in the NRL and the Broncos in the NRLW!

willhelm
11-03-22, 12:25 PM
Hope Ash gets a run

5 Year Contract
13-03-22, 08:55 PM
The final game of last year aside the warriors always seem to turn up against us. I just hope we build on this weekend and don’t stumble out of the blocks again. Hopefully AJ and Thompson in

Dobes
13-03-22, 10:59 PM
Hey guys sorry if this is the wrong thread for this but I'm not sure exactly how the membership works as I've only just joined this year.

Do you have to pay for your seat if you have the access card? And how do you get in with the access card if not?

Also wondering how to get the extra discounted tickets with the membership?

JunctionBlock
14-03-22, 10:30 AM
Hey guys sorry if this is the wrong thread for this but I'm not sure exactly how the membership works as I've only just joined this year.

Do you have to pay for your seat if you have the access card? And how do you get in with the access card if not?

Also wondering how to get the extra discounted tickets with the membership?

Depends on the level of membership.

If you have a full membership you should have allocated seating and you have your members card scanned at the gate and go to your seat.

If you have a 4 game flexi pass, I'm not entirely sure how that works, I think you can log into your account and choose games when they become available.

I also think you can buy extra tix through your account on the Titans members page and it will redirect you to ticketek from memory.

Dobes
14-03-22, 11:48 AM
Depends on the level of membership.

If you have a full membership you should have allocated seating and you have your members card scanned at the gate and go to your seat.

If you have a 4 game flexi pass, I'm not entirely sure how that works, I think you can log into your account and choose games when they become available.

I also think you can buy extra tix through your account on the Titans members page and it will redirect you to ticketek from memory.

Cheers for that JB. Much appreciated!

hungryjacks
14-03-22, 12:44 PM
Would anyone else prefer in a game with AFB and Lodge starting that you would prefer to have Joliffe starting and Mo on the bench?

BundyTitan
14-03-22, 04:39 PM
Warriors Shaun Johnson ruled out for 4 weeks due to pectoral strain #NRLSupercoach

From Wackos Whispers on Twitter

Titslover
14-03-22, 04:44 PM
Wow SJ usually tears us up so we have no excuse not to win and win well. DWZ and their young centre Vailea are out as well.

Is that Ash Taylor’s music??

Hail Sezer
14-03-22, 04:58 PM
Even with SJ out this has all the makings of a trap game for us

Especially after we towelled them at the end of last year at CBUS

gotitans101_
14-03-22, 05:44 PM
SJ injured again hey.

Well I never.

Whats Doing
14-03-22, 05:57 PM
Reece Walsh is back in

Nam78
14-03-22, 06:30 PM
I actually want to see Will Smith back in the halves with Sexton....i didnt give him enough of a wrap! Just where to place AJ? But have to remember its the 2nd round...but we need to start winning these games. I really like Campbell, but hes still young, maybe put AJ back for this game....see how that works...lets see what the team list provides.

DIEHARD
15-03-22, 02:25 AM
I really liked what I saw of Smith. He will be very useful dropping to the bench. Hopefully we can see what the 1. JC 5. AJ project can do this weekend.

Sorry to hear about SJ's injury. We may very well see Ash Taylor coming back to the GC in an enemy uniform. We will also see the return of everyone's favourite, Matthew Lodge...

DIEHARD
15-03-22, 05:42 AM
NRL clears Campbell despite challenge leaving Eels teen with punctured lung
By Adam Pengilly and Christian Nicolussi
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/nrl/

The NRL’s match review committee has defended its decision not to charge Gold Coast fullback Jayden Campbell because he didn’t “dangerously lead with his knees”, despite teenage Eels winger Sean Russell being laid up in hospital with a punctured lung.

Russell, 19, remains under observation in severe pain after Parramatta confirmed the former schoolboy star faced an extended stint on the sidelines with broken ribs and lung problem, reminiscent of the same injury suffered by Roosters utility Drew Hutchison last year.

While Eels five-eighth Dylan Brown was suspended for his knees-first collision with Hutchison in an almost identical spot at CommBank Stadium, Campbell avoided sanction for his attempted try saver on Russell, who left the ground in an ambulance after a first-half hat-trick.

Russell’s injury has only compounded the wing woes for Eels coach Brad Arthur, who is without Maika Sivo (ACL) until later in the season and lost Haze Dunster to a season-ending knee injury after a tackle in a trial from Dragons forward Tyrell Fuimaono, who was suspended for five weeks over the “hip drop” incident.

Asked why Campbell avoided sanction for the collision with Russell, NRL head of football Graham Annesley said the match review committee didn’t deem his actions careless.

“They did not believe Campbell dangerously led with his knees and felt the review showed Campbell lowering his body and leading with his arm in a genuine attempt to stop a try from being scored,” Annesley said.

“Campbell’s arm makes contact with the ball before it reaches the line, however his knees make simultaneous contact with Russell, which the match review deemed accidental in an attempt to stop the try.”

Russell’s extended absence is likely to expedite the Eels’ pursuit of an outside back in the player market.

They unsuccessfully tried to lure Brisbane’s Jamayne Isaako to Sydney for 2022 before he joins the Dolphins next year, but have signed former Tigers winger Zac Cini on a train-and-trial deal. Cini had been part of the Sharks squad during pre-season in the hope of landing a top 30 contract.

Tom Opacic could be in line for a recall against Cronulla at PointsBet Stadium on Saturday after scoring four tries in the NSW Cup last week, while Hayze Perham is also an option for Arthur.

The fallout from the Eels’ wild win over the Titans was continuing on Monday night with NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo still reviewing post-match comments from Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook.

Holbrook argued his side didn’t get the rub of the green from match officials in the second half because they’re “not one of the big clubs”.

Sources familiar with the situation said Holbrook would likely escape a fine, but be warned over his remarks.

Annesley was just as forthright about his opinion on the final seconds of the match when Eels halfback Mitchell Moses blatantly watched the big screen while lining up a penalty goal to ensure he used up as much time as possible. His side led by two points at the time.

Under the NRL rules, the clock is stopped for conversions inside the final five minutes but continues to run for penalty goal attempts.

In that situation I felt it was allowed to go on for too long. I don’t think that’s a good look for the game

Graham Annesley

“I felt personally it wasn’t a good look,” Annesley said. “You can’t blame Mitchell Moses, he was quite happy to stand there until the siren went if we allowed him to.

“But the referee always has the ultimate power to call a timeout if they feel time is being wasted. In that situation I felt it was allowed to go on for too long. I don’t think that’s a good look for the game. I made my feelings known on that.”

JunctionBlock
15-03-22, 09:57 AM
Why would you have a rule that it stops for conversions but not penalty goals?

Jayden was lucky to escape sanction purely because of the severity of the injury to Russell.

Happy to donate to the Holbrook ref comments fund if need be

GCTTSD
15-03-22, 10:09 AM
Better bring back Wallace for round 2 with lodge and come up with a plan to send fifita at ash and Kodi

Titanic
15-03-22, 11:15 AM
Not really for here but did anyone else notice that our lack of a trial was ignored by commentators while the Roosters were talked up as their excuse and 360 didn’t critique our game at all? … last week NRL Tonight ignored us as well. Holbrook is 100% correct and we should create a siege mentality.

hungryjacks
15-03-22, 03:08 PM
Not really for here but did anyone else notice that our lack of a trial was ignored by commentators while the Roosters were talked up as their excuse and 360 didn’t critique our game at all? … last week NRL Tonight ignored us as well. Holbrook is 100% correct and we should create a siege mentality.

When people thought we were close to getting kicked out of the comp a few years ago all the other fans from other other clubs layed their boots into us hard and were mocking us a club and were basically happy to see us go if that was the case. I haven't forgotten this at all.

Also you are completely right we just get ignored, the pundits when talking about us talk about us in a way that would assume they have watched none of our games.

Titslover
15-03-22, 03:15 PM
Ash Taylor revenge game this week, named at 7 for Warriors

lonegull
15-03-22, 03:26 PM

Holbrook would be licking his lips

NZFan
15-03-22, 03:31 PM
The bias in the comp is really systemic. There is a reason why Holbrooks comments aren’t gaining attention and that is because he is right. Jayden’s “leading with the knee” articles have been made instead as a diversion.

There are countless examples in the media that show how bad it is. For example the first time Magic Round was announced, 3 of the 16 clubs weren’t shown in either channels promos (including us) yet other clubs featured multiple times. It was almost laughable that their marketing line was “all 16 clubs in one place” yet they didn’t care about 3 of them enough to show them.

Unfortunately for us, we are going to have to demand the respect from the NRL and media by winning and becoming a powerhouse. It’s not going to be given to us like some of the big clubs. Penrith we’re the same before they started winning consistently.

Titslover
15-03-22, 03:32 PM
Holbrook would be licking his lips

If Ash is on the left against Fifita it could be a long afternoon for him

Titanic
15-03-22, 03:51 PM
Can foresee him kicking behind our dysfunctional right edge … and Herbert drilling him.

JunctionBlock
15-03-22, 05:02 PM
https://i.imgur.com/uMFJ8VA.jpg

DIEHARD
15-03-22, 05:03 PM
Oh boy oh boy. Holbrook should have quite an insight into how Ash operates.

Hail Sezer
15-03-22, 05:08 PM
Hope GL spends the week doing defensive drills and watching tape

JunctionBlock
15-03-22, 05:25 PM
Hope GL spends the week doing defensive drills and watching tape

Hope he practices catching a high ball after a kick on the fifth

Ash looks terrible in that jersey.

Titans83
15-03-22, 06:03 PM
The bias in the comp is really systemic. There is a reason why Holbrooks comments aren’t gaining attention and that is because he is right. Jayden’s “leading with the knee” articles have been made instead as a diversion.

There are countless examples in the media that show how bad it is. For example the first time Magic Round was announced, 3 of the 16 clubs weren’t shown in either channels promos (including us) yet other clubs featured multiple times. It was almost laughable that their marketing line was “all 16 clubs in one place” yet they didn’t care about 3 of them enough to show them.

Unfortunately for us, we are going to have to demand the respect from the NRL and media by winning and becoming a powerhouse. It’s not going to be given to us like some of the big clubs. Penrith we’re the same before they started winning consistently.

There’s a huge bias against us. I put it down to the scheduling of the free to air games. How do you expect anyone to care about us when we aren’t on tv? We play 2-3 times a year and because of that we have no fans. The commentary have been told we don’t generate interest and we don’t. Hopefully winning helps

DIEHARD
15-03-22, 07:20 PM
Taylor gets chance against ex-club Titans
https://www.espn.com/nrl/

Six months after being left on the NRL scrap heap, Gold Coast's one-time million-dollar man Ash Taylor will make his NRL comeback against the Titans.

Discarded by Gold Coast at the end of last year, Taylor has been named in a new-look Warriors spine for Saturday afternoon's clash at Cbus Super Stadium.

Taylor takes the place of the injured Shaun Johnson, while Kodi Nikorima has been dropped after last week's loss to St George Illawarra.

Nathan Brown has in turn moved Chanel Harris-Tavita moved to five-eighth, with Reece Walsh returning from suspension at fullback.

When Taylor signed with the Gold Coast from Brisbane in 2017 on a $1 million-a-year contract, he was expected by many to be the NRL's next big thing.

But his form dipped amid several injuries to the point where his career looked in jeopardy at the end of last year before picking up a train-and-trial deal at the Warriors.

The 26-year-old has since admitted he did not cope well with the big-money status and expectations at the Titans.

"I felt like I was ready for it but obviously I wasn't," Taylor said in December.

"Life goes on, I can't stay stuck in the mud. I want to keep moving forward in life.

"My mind is a lot more relaxed than what it was.

"Coming off a big contract it was just a weight lifted off my shoulders."

Taylor's return comes in a round of big-name comebacks, with the half set to mark up against former teammate AJ Brimson after the Titans five-eighth recovered from a groin injury.

Titslover
15-03-22, 07:30 PM
Fifita joking on 9 news about not getting much ball on the weekend, good to see he’s determined to get involved and hopefully he’s working with Toby and the coaches to make sure we give him better attacking opportunities this week.

https://twitter.com/9newsgoldcoast/status/1503640894997774338?s=21

DIEHARD
15-03-22, 07:34 PM
NRL Teams: Titans v Warriors
https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/15/nrl-teams-titans-v-warriors/
:video:The Gold Coast Titans and New Zealand Warriors have named their squads for Round 2 of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership

coreythompson
15-03-22, 11:26 PM
Sorry guys I'm out for another week

JunctionBlock
16-03-22, 01:33 PM
Can we get in early for the NRLW?

DIEHARD
16-03-22, 06:15 PM
Can we get in early for the NRLW?

Times are approx. and subject to change at any time.

Box Office: 11:00am
Gates Open: 11.30am
Corporate Gates: 11:30am
NRLW Kick Off: 11:50am
NRL Kick Off: 2:00pm

https://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/Show.aspx

DIEHARD
16-03-22, 06:18 PM
Wonder Will: Smith shows versatility from opening whistle
https://www.titans.com.au/

It comes as no surprise how handy the recruitment of Will Smith has been to bolster the Gold Coast line-up this season, and his all-round ability proved ever-so handsome right from the very start in the season opener against his former club.

A late minute replacement for five-eighth AJ Brimson - who wasn't quite 100 percent for the Round 1 showdown - the utility took the 80-minute playmaking role like a duck to water, with two try assists and a line-break assist in a complete performance in the halves with youngster Toby Sexton.

The only thing that would've made his Titans debut even sweeter was getting the two competition points in the narrow loss to the Eels.

"It was a tough game. I think we took a lot of confidence out of that game knowing that if we started a lot better than we did, I’m pretty sure we could’ve come away with the win," Smith said, on 4BC's Wide World of Sports with Peter Psaltis.

"There’s a lot of positives to take out of that game on the weekend, but you have to move on as soon as you can.

"You learn from those mistakes that we made in that game and we look forward to this week's game being our first home game."

Spending the last five seasons at Parramatta before making the journey north to the Coast, the 29-year-old relished the challenge of facing off against his old club at the weekend, but is quite enjoying his time at his new home.

"It’s always an awesome game to play against your old teammates and your team," Smith said.

"I was there for five seasons, so I had plenty of mates and had a good time there, but this is my new team and this is my focus.

"It’s been a very welcoming experience coming to the Titans, and from day one to now, I’m very comfortable to turn up to training and do the best I can with the boys.

"I’m loving my time here at the Titans."

The 76-gamer is also thrilled to be surrounded by such young talent who are all naturally gifted players and have progressed through the Titans junior pathways system.

We’ve got a lot of lads here who can play a lot of footy from basically anywhere on the field," Smith said.

"The likes of young Jayden Campbell and Toby Sexton, and you've even got Phillip Sami out wide… they’re all killing it."

With the imminent return of another club 'youngster' in Brimson, who is set to play in his first match of 2022 this weekend, the skilled utility will return to the pine, ready and excited for whatever role is needed to be undertaken in his first game at his new home, Cbus Super Stadium.

"It’s up to Justin on how he wants to use me but anywhere he wants to use me, I’m happy to just get out there and do my job for the team," Smith said.

"I just can’t wait for the experience to have my first Titans home game.

"Hopefully there is a full crowd... $20 from every ticket is going towards the flood relief, so hopefully we can get a packed stadium."

A familiar face will also return to Robina, with former Titans playmaker Ash Taylor set to make his Warriors debut up against his former club on Saturday, with fans from both teams expected to fill out the grandstands for the afternoon clash.

"It’ll be good to play against Ash and he’ll be keen to play against his old club," Smith said.

"The boys have said they get a good crowd out there against the Warriors, so hopefully all the fans get out there and we put on a good performance."

DIEHARD
16-03-22, 06:22 PM
Join Mal in helping raise funds for flood relief this Saturday
https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/03/16/join-mal-in-helping-raise-funds-for-flood-relief-this-saturday/

Rugby league immortal Mal Meninga has experienced plenty in his life as a player, coach, father, and even as a police officer in his early years... but nothing could prepare him for his recent trip to northern New South Wales.

The Gold Coast high performance senior advisor joined club chairman Dennis Watt and Titans staff touring Lismore and surrounding areas to see the overwhelming devastation, hear the harrowing tales of survival and help flood-ravaged communities in one of footy's biggest heartlands.

"It was very confronting and my experience was... very humbling," Meninga said.

"I met a lot of people at the evacuation centre which was fantastic because the spirit in that place was enormous. They’ve gone through so much trauma and hardship and just listening to their stories... certainly with ears wide open and my heart wide open was a fantastic experience.

"I know from the community's point of view, they just want to tell their story. They just want to open up and tell me and those I was with things they had to encounter. It was horrific.

"Hearing they had to hang onto their houses and even the roofs of houses for their lives. Not only the lives of themselves, but their pets as well. How when they rang the SES or Triple Zero and they were 500th on the list.

"Just to be there and hear those stories, certainly for me, it's an experience that I will cherish for a long, long time."

It's why the Queensland enforcer wants to see Cbus Super Stadium full on Saturday afternoon for the Titans' first home game of the year - a double header with both the NRLW and NRL teams in action. $20 from every ticket will go to the flood relief initiative, helping South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales recover from the recent disaster.

"We’ve got a really good opportunity this week and through the weekend to raise some much-needed funds. I know all of Australia and the world has got behind the people in the Northern Rivers and Tweed areas and that is a very important part of the Gold Coast Titans community," Meninga said.

"I’d love to see you along there on Saturday. I know it’s an early start, but $20 from everyone who attends goes towards raising some much-needed funds.

"A lot of people lost their houses, lost their possessions and have no way to get that back… some people don’t have any insurance and things like that.

"I really want our rugby league community and fraternity to get behind such an enormous fundraiser, particularly helping us on Saturday.

"You can support the Titans or support the Warriors... we’d just love to see a big crowd there on Saturday for this reason.

"We obviously want to see a great Titans victory, but for the people of the Northern Rivers, Tweed and South East Queensland, we’d love to see you there on the weekend.

"It makes you feel good to help support those people."

DIEHARD
16-03-22, 06:35 PM
Leaner Fifita is now built to go the distance with Titans
TRAVIS MEYN
http://www.couriermail.com.au

TITANS star David Fifita has admitted his weight ballooned during a turbulent 2021 campaign but the Gold Coast forward is out to silence his critics and prove he can be an 80- minute weapon.

Fifita will make his first home appearance of the year in Saturday’s clash against the Warriors at Cbus Super Stadium, which will also see fellow Queensland representative AJ Brimson return from injury.

The game will be former Titans playmaker Ash Taylor’s debut for the Warriors after he was not offered a new contract by the Gold Coast last year.

The Titans kicked off their 2022 campaign with a controversial 32-28 loss to Parramatta last Sunday, prompting coach Justin Holbrook to blast officials after his side was on the wrong end of numerous lineball decisions.

The Gold Coast registered its biggest ever win in last year’s corresponding clash against the Warriors, smashing the New Zealand team 44-0 in a spicy last-round clash to qualify for the finals. Coming off the bench, Fifita scored two tries that afternoon on his way to a club record 17-try season with the Titans.

But the former Broncos star wasn’t satisfied with his debut campaign on the Gold Coast, as weight issues and a rib injury saw his form fluctuate following an incredible start to the season.

Now back in the starting side, Fifita wants to prove he is an 80- minute player after punching out a full game against the Eels.

“I was happy I got to play the full game,” he said. “That’s the player I want to be – I want to be a full 80-minute player.

“Last year I started like that and then in the back end I put on a few kilograms. That’s on me and my discipline on and off the field. I’m heading in the right direction at the moment. I’ll keep training hard. I’ve got to do it again against a tough opposition.

“I know my body. You people, the audience and fans can be the judge of that (my performances).”

Officially listed at 107kg, Fifita wouldn’t reveal how much weight he has shed since the end of last season. But the 22-yearold looks a much leaner figure and credited a tough pre-season for getting him back into shape.

DIEHARD
16-03-22, 07:25 PM

DIEHARD
16-03-22, 07:28 PM
Titans Assistant Coach Jim Lenihan joined ahead of this weekend's Round 2 NRL clash with the NZ Warriors

<iframe width="500" height="200" src="https://webplayer.whooshkaa.com/player/episode/id/970573?theme=light&waveform-progress-color=%23FA6800&play-video-if-available=true" frameborder="0" style="width: 100%; height: 200px"></iframe>

DIEHARD
17-03-22, 07:30 AM
The Mole: Jayden Campbell apologises over controversial Sean Russell tackle
By The Mole

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-2022-gold-coast-titans-fullback-jayden-campbell-apologises-for-tackle-on-parramatta-eels-winger-sean-russell/

Titans fullback Jayden Campbell has reached out to hospitalised Eels winger Sean Russell, apologising for the tackle that has divided the league world.

Russell is still in hospital three days after the incident with a punctured lung and two broken ribs.

Campbell slid in with his knees attempting to tackle the Eels winger as he scored a try - his third of the first half - at CommBank Stadium on Sunday.

Outraged Eels fans demanded the NRL take action against Campbell after Parramatta five-eighth Dylan Brown was suspended for a similar tackle last year.

But the video review panel cleared Campbell despite the seriousness of Russell's injuries - and both players are OK with it.

"Sean is still in a bad way but Jayden sent him a text and apologised and said there was no malice in the tackle - that he was just trying to stop the try," a source close to Russell said.

"Sean was good about it and just answered 'Yeah that's rugby league, hey'."

psmitty
17-03-22, 02:08 PM
What is this all about? A trio of the spine in doubt. Obviously AJ has been in doubt but who else?

The Roosters have a contingency plan in place if Victor Radley and Billy Smith are ruled out with concussion, while a trio of Titans spine players are in doubt.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2022-late-mail-round-1-teams-ins-and-outs-injuries-team-news-storm-v-rabbitohs-dragons-v-panthers/news-story/17fbbf5b08c9224738d6c15130df378b

willhelm
17-03-22, 03:35 PM
Clark, Brimson, Campbell are all in doubt due to injury. A few options for the reshuffle but if all 3 are out then I think we end up with a spine of Boyd, Sexton, Smith, Sami with Marsters coming in on Sami's wing. Turner is another option at fullback or 5/8 (he's set to play fullback for Tweed this week) but he looked pretty rusty in the trial so I think coach is more likely to go with the experience of Sami.

I note that Clark and Campbell are both knee complaints. I wonder if running the NRLW game on the same pitch before the mens game is a contributing factor. Surely a professional sport like the NRL should have the pitch in optimum condition.

Titslover
17-03-22, 04:08 PM
All 3 trained today so I’m not concerned at all.

Sauce: https://twitter.com/dloudon9/status/1504258222214971393?s=21

hungryjacks
17-03-22, 04:22 PM
What team are our young JTS players lining up for this weekend?

Hail Sezer
17-03-22, 04:30 PM
What is this all about? A trio of the spine in doubt. Obviously AJ has been in doubt but who else?

The Roosters have a contingency plan in place if Victor Radley and Billy Smith are ruled out with concussion, while a trio of Titans spine players are in doubt.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2022-late-mail-round-1-teams-ins-and-outs-injuries-team-news-storm-v-rabbitohs-dragons-v-panthers/news-story/17fbbf5b08c9224738d6c15130df378b

I tend to avoid most of Fox Sports content because they get their info by just reading what other journos have said and regurgetating it to get clickies

All 3 trained today as Titslover said.

- - - Updated - - -

What team are our young JTS players lining up for this weekend?

HDC (U21's) hasn't started yet so most are still a few weeks away from their season starting. All the young boys named for Qcup this weekend are either NRL Development or Top 30. I've listed them all and where they're playing this weekend in a recent post in the Squad, Signings & Rumours thread. A few Qcup debutants in Tony Francis (Burleigh) and Jojo Fifita (Tweed).

MM Cup is well underway featuring a lot of the JTS boys but they're all U18 and still at school. Expect a fair few to be doing the next NRL pre-season though.

willhelm
17-03-22, 04:31 PM
All 3 trained today so I’m not concerned at all.

Sauce: https://twitter.com/dloudon9/status/1504258222214971393?s=21

Mindgames then, good stuff

DIEHARD
17-03-22, 05:27 PM
That’s good about JC. I was legit concerned.

Thompson reported by Jim Lenihan to be back in about two weeks.

DIEHARD
17-03-22, 07:37 PM
'I am playing': Brimson news all Titans fans want to hear
:video:https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/03/17/i-am-playing-brimson-news-all-titans-fans-want-to-hear/

The best four words from AJ Brimson today is... 'yes, I am playing'.

Coming straight from the horse's mouth, the Gold Coast five-eighth is a confirmed starter for the Round 2 clash against the Warriors at Cbus Super Stadium and can't wait to run out in his return game.

"I’m looking forward to it. I had a really good session with the boys today," Brimson said.

"It’s a good opportunity to come home for my return game and I’m really excited."

Battling a niggling injury sustained in the pre-season, the No. 6 battled the odds to try and play last week, doing everything he could right up until game day; but club medical staff erred on the side of caution by withdrawing the newly-converted playmaker from the season opener in readiness for week two at home.

"I was a bit 50-50 throughout the week with some lower ab pain connected to the groin," Brimson said.

"I got a bit of training done last week, but I just wasn’t right and didn’t want to go out there and let anyone down. I made the call and Will (Smith) did a great job jumping in there.

"It's frustrating because I had the best pre-season of my career to be honest, and then just a couple of weeks before Round , I had a little bit of a niggle.

"To miss Round 1 was pretty sad, but I didn’t want to go out there after having a really good pre-season and not be where I want to be."

Although disappointed at not being on the field at Parramatta, the 23-year-old feels there is some good with missing the opening match through injury.

"I think it’s important to find the positives with these things," Brimson said.

"Like I am missing footy, but the positive is my legs aren’t as sore as the boys who played last week.

"I should be fresher and there is definitely some wins with those injuries.

Set to run out with a different number jersey on his back - playing the position he debuted in - the new playmaker has adjusted to the change with ease.

"I’m pretty excited. It doesn’t really cross my mind to be honest (that I've changed positions)," Brimson said.

"I’m pretty comfortable as a five-eighth now and it’s something I haven’t even thought of to be honest.

"I guess it’s pretty new to everyone else who hasn’t seen me training for the last five months in the halves, but I’ve been there all pre-season and that’s my focus.

"I’m a half now."

Set to face off against the Titans' former No. 6, Ash Taylor, who will line-up in the halves for the Warriors, Brimson wants him to flourish at his new club, but hopes his best footy will begin in Round 3.

"I’m really happy for Ash. He’s a good mate of mine and I’m happy for him to be out there playing," Brimson said.

"I hope he plays well individually, but not as a team. I’m happy for him to get his crack there and we need to be on our game because we know how dangerous he can be.

"I think we’ll see his best footy, but I hope he leaves that till next week."

DIEHARD
17-03-22, 07:40 PM
League Unlimited: Titans v Warriors preview
https://leagueunlimited.com/news/36951-titans-v-warriors-preview/

DIEHARD
18-03-22, 04:32 AM
'Last year... that's on me': Devastating Dave back to his best for Warriors bout
https://www.titans.com.au/

A very candid David Fifita has opened up about being pushed to the bench at the end of last season, feeling he could've performed better, as the powerhouse forward works towards getting back to his devastating best this season.

It's an incredible revelation from the 22-year-old; given he was the club's leading try-scorer with 17 four-pointers - smashing the previous club record - as well as the NRL's leading tackle buster and in the top seven players with offloads and line-breaks for 2021.

Those accolades alone are an incredible achievement... but his admission proves he always strives to continually be better, an admirable trait to have, and his commitment to finessing his footy has been noticed by general pundits around the NRL competition.

Titans fans saw just a small glimpse of the havoc the Origin star can wreak in the All Stars clash last month, before doing much the same in a formidable 80-minute performance on the edge in the season opener against Parramatta on Sunday.

And as he prepares to return to Cbus Super Stadium for the first time... a venue he loves to score points at with two hat-tricks and a double, the barnstorming back-rower wants to keep being that full-game player this entire season.

"I want to be a full 80-minute player. Last year, I started that but in the back end, [what happened]… that’s on me," Fifita revealed.

"My discipline for myself fell away off the field, but I’m in the right direction at the moment and will take it week-by-week.

"The coaching staff have trained me hard throughout the whole pre-season and all the boys here have come in good knick, so for myself, it’s just about getting the match fitness back.

"It was good to be out there against Parra. We didn’t get the result we were after, but this Saturday against the Warriors, it’ll be a different game with tough opposition… we’re looking forward to it."

The enforcer ran for 122 metres and broke four tackles - including the incredible 60-metre line-break that resulted in a try in the following play. He also was quite handy in defence, making 24 tackles in his first start of 2022.

The Titans marquee puts his off-season shredding down to Gold Coast high performance staff, who have helped him ensure he continues to be a lean, mean, powerhouse machine.

"The high performance staff… Klint (Hoare) and Hoops (Steve Hooper). They do a good job with getting our fitness right," Fifita said.

"We’ve also got a new dietician (Ben Desbrow) on board who is really smart with what he talks about and what he says in front of the group.

"It’s evident with all the boys… we’re all in good knick and I’m looking forward to the season ahead."

The 67-gamer was a big fan of the direction the Titans are heading, with new halfback Toby Sexton impressing on the weekend, and is also relishing the return of his partner-in-crime, AJ Brimson.

"Toby Sexton is a good young player who is really good at organising the boys around the park. For myself, he just keeps it simple and if I want the ball, he gives it to me," Fifita said.

"Obviously I didn’t get much ball on the weekend, but for myself, I need to keep building the combination with him. He’s only a year younger than me and we’re still learning and still getting to know each other with our edge.

"His halves partner AJ is a great player and brings a lot to this team. But in saying that, Will Smith stepped up and did a really good job and played outstanding on the weekend.

"If we do have Brimmo back on the weekend, it will be a bonus... but Will is just as good there."

With plenty of fireworks the last time the Titans faced off against the Warriors, especially with Matt Lodge - who is expected to return to Cbus this weekend - Fifita is looking forward to the battle, hoping to get the side's first two points of the year in front of a big home crowd.

"I think [Matt Lodge] back this week. He’s a good mate of mine and I’m looking forward to the challenge. They have a good fan base here on the Goldy, so there will be a good split (in the crowd).

"We had a good win over them last year, but that was last year.

"This year is a new focus for us and I can't wait to get back to Cbus Super Stadium in front of all of our Titans fans."

Be there at Cbus Super Stadium on Saturday, March 19 for the Gold Coast Titans' first home game of the year. A double header with the NRL and NRLW Titans in action. $20 from every ticket goes directly to the club's flood recovery initiative.

indoallstars
18-03-22, 04:32 PM
I'm quite excited to see Will Smith in the utility role as he competes on every play. I think if he comes in off the bench into hooker, gives good service and has some darting runs it will really open up our attack in the back half of games. Good cover for the spine either way.

DIEHARD
18-03-22, 11:21 PM
Ready for the roar: Tino excited for first Cbus clash as captain
https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/03/18/ready-for-the-roar-tino-excited-for-first-cbus-clash-as-captain/

This Saturday will be the first time Titans captain Tino Fa'asuamaleaui leads his side out onto Cbus Super Stadium and the new skipper can't wait to hear the roar from his home fans.

"It means a lot. I can’t wait to run out as the captain and lead the boys out onto this ground in front of our home fans," Fa'asuamaleaui said.

"I’m excited everyone will get down here to support us and support the [flood relief] cause. It’s really exciting."

In the 22-year-old's first game as skipper last Sunday - which also happened to be only his 50th NRL appearance - the Gold Coast enforcer was proud of the defensive resolve shown in the second half, and even though they didn't finish with the two competition points, hopes his side can be inspired by continually denying the Eels of scoring tries in the final 40 minutes.

"We’ll take a lot from that. Last year, there were a few games like that game that we needed to hold teams out like that, but we didn’t. They’d score straight away," Fa'asuamaleaui said.

"That’s something we’ll take away from that game and hope to play like that every game this year.

"It was a great positive and a good sign for Round 1 and for the rest of the year."

The one improvement that has been a focus this week is starting better, with the Titans having to chase points early in the first game of the year, but hopefully with the cobwebs now blown out of side after missing the final trial, the team will be firing from the opening whistle.

"Obviously just starting better [has been a focus]. We let a few tries in at the start and that’s something we need to do better to stop the tries," Fa'asuamaleaui said.

"We know we can attack, so we need to make sure we stop those tries so we can put more points on and get the win.

"I just think communication could’ve stopped a few of those tries, but that’s obviously a learning curve that we’ve taken on board and we need to make sure that doesn’t happen again."

The Gold Coast are looking forward to running out full strength this weekend ready to avenge last week's loss. The side also has no injury concerns, with AJ Brimson confirmed to return and Jayden Campbell and Erin Clark also both right to go after receiving a few bumps and bruises in the season opener.

"Everyone is ready to go," Fa'asuamaleaui said.

"We weren’t happy with the loss on the weekend, so we want to play well this weekend to get our first win of the year, especially at home.

"We can't wait to get out there."

DIEHARD
18-03-22, 11:23 PM
A live band, a helicopter, access the field, oh and two games of footy
https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/03/18/a-live-band-a-helicopter-access-the-field-oh-and-two-games-of-footy/

Cbus Super Stadium is ready to rock!

Footy is back on the Gold Coast and it is coming in with a bang when the Titans host a HUGE double header that sees the NRLW side take on rivals the Brisbane Broncos, before the men tackle the New Zealand Warriors.

If you were at Cbus Super Stadium the last time the Titans played, you'd remember the ground shaking as the Titans piled on record points on their way to a 10-try victory and a spot in the NRL finals as they defeated the Warriors.

It wasn't just on the field that had the stadium shaking either.

Iconic scenes of Titans 'super fan' Daniel 'DJ' Gosling wildly waving his jersey in support of his Titans took the nation by storm.

Gosling has set the tone for the energy in the crowd this year and time will tell whether he will be joined by more of the Titans faithful.

Titans ready to rock!

Gosling won't be a one man band though, as the Titans unveil their new in-house band.

The winners of our 40-band competition with 1029 Hot Tomato, these guys will bring the energy.

Situated in the south east corner, Perry Street Park will be in charge of keeping the vibe high all afternoon long.

Post-game field access returns

Covid has stopped many things, but come Saturday afternoon it won't keep Titans fans off the hallowed turf of Cbus Super Stadium any longer.

After a two-year hiatus, the Village Roadshow Theme Parks Post Game Access returns and fans can walk the field of their heroes.

After the completion of the Titans NRL match fans will be invited to come on field.

You can even bring a footy along and have a kick!

Lifesaving Chopper to visit Cbus

The effort from all in the community, charity groups, SES and more to assist those in needs with the recent flooding can not be understated.

As a small show of appreciation, the Titans will welcome the LifeFlight Helicopter into Cbus Super Stadium at half time of the NRL match.

It will give a chance for all in attendance to acknowledge the great work done by so many.

Plus, in conjunction with Village Roadshow Theme Parks, $20 from every ticket sold goes towards flood relief programs.

DIEHARD
18-03-22, 11:29 PM
Titans v Warriors: Brimson to partner Sexton; Walsh, Lodge good to go
https://www.nrl.com

Three weeks after their pre-season trial game was abandoned due to the storms in Queensland, the Titans and Warriors do it for real in a clash that seems certain to produce plenty of tries.

The Titans were electric in the opening 45 minutes against Parramatta and came within an ace of a huge upset, while the Warriors rode the back of some astute Shaun Johnson kicking to push the Dragons all the way at Sunshine Coast Stadium.

The loss of Johnson to a pectoral injury is offset by the return of whiz kid Reece Walsh and hardman Matt Lodge from suspension while the Titans also get a boost with AJ Brimson (groin) back on deck after being a late withdrawal in round one.

The Rundown

Titans: AJ Brimson (groin) is good to go after missing the season opener, slotting in at five-eighth with Will Smith sliding to the bench. Tanah Boyd is the man to drop out of the 17.

No changes to the squad in the 24-hour update on Friday.

Warriors: Some big ins for the Warriors as they welcome star fullback Reece Walsh and prop Matt Lodge back from suspension. Walsh's return sees Chanel Harris-Tavita move to five-eighth and Kodi Nikorima drops to the reserves list.

Injuries to centre Viliami Vailea (knee), winger Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (thumb) and halfback Shaun Johnson (pectoral) have forced more backline changes with Jesse Arthars coming in at centre, Adam Pompey on the wing and Ash Taylor at halfback.

Bunty Afoa shifts to the bench to accommodate Lodge's return in the front row. Ben Murdoch-Masila has gone to the reserves list.

Nikorima remained in the 19-man squad when cuts were made on Friday so he could still be a late addition to the side.

Key match-up
Moeaki Fotuaika v Matt Lodge: After launching his season in style with 124 metres from 13 runs, including 44 post-contact metres, Fotuaika is ready to welcome the powerful Warriors pack to his home turf. The 22-year-old has come of age in the past two years, playing four Origins for Queensland and carrying the Titans into the finals in 2021. Lodge averaged 126 metres in his six games for the Warriors after his mid-season move from Brisbane last year and will look to establish himself as a forward leader for Nathan Brown in 2022.

Stat attack
With David Fifita (17 tries) and Brian Kelly (11) leading the way the Titans ran in 104 tries during the regular season last year. The Warriors could muster only 80 tries, with none of their players posting double figures in that category.

DIEHARD
18-03-22, 11:40 PM

DIEHARD
18-03-22, 11:41 PM
League Unlimited online program for round 2
https://leagueunlimited.com/assets/Uploads/NRL-R2-Program-2022.pdf?d=1647406737

Titslover
19-03-22, 08:47 AM
Game day boys game day! Ripper of a day for some footy, feel like we should see some really exciting footy from the team today. Fifita minimum 2 tries :thumbsup:

Mt Smart
19-03-22, 09:25 AM
Another year, Another clash between my favorite teams.
As a wozzas fan I'm predicting your mob will thump ours.
I think you will enjoy a fair officiating display for a change, perhaps even favorable against Another ugly step sister club on your home turf.
One day I'm gonna travel to Australia and catch one of these games on the GC. But today I will be in my shakey Isles man cave watching as per usual.
Good luck today.

Titanic
19-03-22, 12:24 PM
Hey Smarty, should be a cracker and you wouldn’t feel like a stranger at CBus which will be full of ‘cuzzies’ for this one. Titans x 4

Mt Smart
19-03-22, 01:16 PM
Hey Titanic.

The fans over at NZ Warriors include a lot who watched the Eels game and are quite worried about how good the Titans looked compared to the Warriors error ridden disorganized rabble.

I'm thinking a Titans win today, the Warriors defence is giving up soft meters and the spine has no cohesion.
Lodge, AFB, and Pene are a problem though, all three are quite good at laying a decent platform.

But yeah I think we are always slow starters every year and will pay dearly for it today.

ozynorts
19-03-22, 02:57 PM
It's time for the men to cap off a great day by ensuring the club has wins in both comps. Go hard lads.

Titanic
19-03-22, 02:59 PM
A danger game for us … a mini gf? lol come out Bodsie

JunctionBlock
19-03-22, 03:01 PM
Yeah baby. That’s why. That’s why

DIEHARD
19-03-22, 03:13 PM
Wow AJ. What a statement with his first touch in 2022. Looks like a wonderful day on the Coast too!

DIEHARD
19-03-22, 03:16 PM
Oh beautiful. Good work JC seeing that opportunity. Greg banks if with a lovely fend. Great Rugby League.

Titanic
19-03-22, 03:18 PM
Marzhew’s fend compounded my groin injury from AJ’s start.

Sami’s honeymoon is over and our goal line defense is well below par. JC needs help or he will dropped in goal every carry.

Hail Sezer
19-03-22, 03:21 PM
Forgot to dub Sami with the Masterclass and that’s what we get

JunctionBlock
19-03-22, 03:21 PM
Rocks or diamonds

hungryjacks
19-03-22, 03:29 PM
Great tackle by Sexton on AFB. Pretty bad effort afterwards by fifita.

Titanic
19-03-22, 03:29 PM
Dodged a bullet

Then stupid challenge AND annoy the ref

Hail Sezer
19-03-22, 03:33 PM
Jesus Christ

- - - Updated - - -

What a pass from Fifita

DIEHARD
19-03-22, 03:35 PM
Try machine Marzhew. What a machine. Lovely pass from DF.

We needed that. Dramatic try reversal from the Warriors too. But correct call IMO.

Hail Sezer
19-03-22, 03:39 PM
That should’ve been easy points. BK should’ve just passed that earlier or let JC get it at first receiver. Marzhew would’ve scored again

JunctionBlock
19-03-22, 03:44 PM
We looked gassed with 6:30 left.

lonegull
19-03-22, 03:46 PM
Bloody hell stay out on the winger when will marzhew learn

Titanic
19-03-22, 03:47 PM
We look willing but very disorganized in defense

lonegull
19-03-22, 03:53 PM
Disgraceful

Hail Sezer
19-03-22, 03:55 PM
Holbrook going to give some kind of spray at halftime. Jeez.

DIEHARD
19-03-22, 03:56 PM
Yep… fair call on Sami unfortunately. I don’t really buy the put down. Another dramatic reversal decision and we are behind at half time. 18-16. Our defence in the 10m zone needs a lot of work. Walsh and Taylor playing well.

Dooldog76
19-03-22, 03:56 PM
Done with this reffing

Hail Sezer
19-03-22, 03:57 PM
Yep… fair call on Sami unfortunately. I don’t really buy the put down. Another dramatic reversal decision and we are behind at half time. 18-16. Our defence in the 10m zone needs a lot of work. Walsh and Taylor playing well.

Taylor been pretty bad. Every time we go to his edge we’re either getting through or threatening to because he can’t defend

NZFan
19-03-22, 03:57 PM
Can’t defend Greg on that one. We looked so gassed. I don’t think our bench configuration is quite right. Lisone brings impact but Joliffe hasn’t offered much this season. I think I’d prefer Wallace starting with Liu coming on to provide stability in the middle half of the game.

Quick play the balls are killing us.

Dooldog76
19-03-22, 03:58 PM
Not even the chopper is making me happy

Titanic
19-03-22, 03:59 PM
We deserve that score on the back of some really juvenile errors and restarts against a team we should be lapping. I understand having JC in the squad but he is a long way short of an NRL fb yet and he’s going to cost us more than creates for a longtime yet but not all his doing… Coach gets the chance to give them a spray. We can only improve.

Upthetits
19-03-22, 04:00 PM
Campbell needs to pass the damn ball

We look absolutely stuffed in defence

Hail Sezer
19-03-22, 04:04 PM
Lol at the fox guys clearly getting the word in the earpiece to stop calling the bunker decision wrong

lonegull
19-03-22, 04:05 PM
Getting sucked into trying to score of every set, not putting any pressure on the warriors what so ever playing straight into their hands. That last 10 minutes the titans were gassed warriors seem to be playing with a lot more energy

Titslover
19-03-22, 04:07 PM
I’m at the game and there’s been at least 2 times where Campbell needed to pass it. And why the **** are we not getting Fifita better ball

lonegull
19-03-22, 04:08 PM
Watch the Reece Walsh show in this second half

JunctionBlock
19-03-22, 04:10 PM
Sami “grounds it” I go to members bar, nek minut warriors in the lead. WTF

- - - Updated - - -

Annnnnd kick off

Wow

Hail Sezer
19-03-22, 04:15 PM
Really bad defensive set all round

DIEHARD
19-03-22, 04:16 PM
Another Twilight Zone episode and not a good one. We need to settle down. Hopefully this is our chance with us taking the Warriors over the sideline.

….. and Tino drops it.

lonegull
19-03-22, 04:24 PM
Schoolboy errors

- - - Updated - - -

Seem to have no structure in attack

- - - Updated - - -

Defensive line on their heels why

DIEHARD
19-03-22, 04:25 PM
Game has been a real cold bucket of water for me.

Hail Sezer
19-03-22, 04:28 PM
Nice of JC to pass the ball

DIEHARD
19-03-22, 04:29 PM
Oh another lethal cut out pass. This time to Sami unmarked from AJ. Needed that.

lonegull
19-03-22, 04:30 PM
There you go a structured set and end of with a try

DIEHARD
19-03-22, 04:36 PM

ozynorts
19-03-22, 04:38 PM
Got out of jail there, no excuse for that charge down

Hail Sezer
19-03-22, 04:42 PM
JC been straight up awful on some occasions today

Just got outrun by Josh Curran lol

- - - Updated - - -

Just leave that Marzhew ffs. Compete after the catch.

lonegull
19-03-22, 04:42 PM
Warriors look the fitter side and more hungry

JunctionBlock
19-03-22, 04:46 PM
This game is making me angry

Why can the warriors get off the line hard and fast and we sit back 10 meters and let them come to us even when it’s not a quick play

Hail Sezer
19-03-22, 04:47 PM
Bring Fifita back on now

JunctionBlock
19-03-22, 04:52 PM
Repeat attacking sets and Fifita still on the bench

Wow

- - - Updated - - -

He’s stretching

Maybe

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind. Sitting back down

lonegull
19-03-22, 04:55 PM
Surely a repeat set is to play for their but no not the titans try a trick shot

psmitty
19-03-22, 04:57 PM
We just used our get out of jail free card for the year. Very lucky.

lonegull
19-03-22, 04:58 PM
Should never of won that one

gotitans101_
19-03-22, 04:59 PM
Warriors lost that one.

ozynorts
19-03-22, 05:00 PM
Very lucky win. Really did our best to lose that one.
Mo, Sami and AJ can hold their heads high.

DIEHARD
19-03-22, 05:04 PM
Phew. We limped to the finish line. I'll take it. AJ the pick. Lots of quiet players today. Lots of work to do in defence and organisation.

Another thing I learned today. New Zealand has Wendy's.

Loving the footage of Titans and Warriors players interacting on the field. And of course Holbrook having a good time with the players on the field. Great to have a coach with a personality and that smiles.

gotitans101_
19-03-22, 05:05 PM
I missed the first half, but I saw a few negative comments on here re Sami? He was enormous in that second half I thought.

Hail Sezer
19-03-22, 05:09 PM
Ugly game.

I think both teams will be pretty disappointed with the performance and we had a few guys who had some weaknesses exposed. Lot to learn from the tape for JC and Sexton in particular.

Happy to scrap out the W and I dare say that with the amount of possession we gave up, that’s a game we probably lose 12 months ago. Very lucky.

- - - Updated - - -

I missed the first half, but I saw a few negative comments on here re Sami? He was enormous in that second half I thought.

Just had 2x errors, one led to a try directly and one led to a try the next set (he offloaded it to then coming out from our end)

He was excellent in the second half

DIEHARD
19-03-22, 05:09 PM
Should never of won that one

Warriors lost that one.

Yea we were lucky we faced the Warriors today. Last week seems a lifetime ago. A week is a long time in sport.

Walsh will look great in a Dolphins jersey next year.

What's the story with Fifita? Is he injured?

Next up: Raiders in Canberra.

DIEHARD
19-03-22, 05:13 PM
I'd like to give a clap for the Titans fans who have had a long day there today supporting both our teams today. Both two point wins. Titans fans were loud on the TV. A hot day too for fans. Glad to see you all rewarded with a win.

It was a frustrating game that never hit a flow, but we won it. I agree with HS, this felt like the type of game we'd let go last season.

Titanic
19-03-22, 05:17 PM
I don’t mean to roast him as he’s a work in progress and should still be in QCup while AJ is fit but JC’s body shape means he can’t go anywhere near the sideline or goal line which means he’s restricted in attack. Doesn’t promote the ball, limited defense and zero line breaks plus kick off out on the full = not good enough.

Team started well but dropped off into a snooze fest. The youth in the team means we will have lots of frustration this year. Sexton needs Smith with him, the team needs AJ at the back and Fifita looked a lot better but got gassed. My other observation is the rotation seems too slow. Tino and Fifita need to be rotated earlier. Is Thompson better than Marzhew, no in my opinion and Sami holding his own for now.

In summary: happy to win, no doubt but would like to see AJ in 1, Smith at 6 and Boyd at 14. JC will get his chance later.

Yoohoooo a win!!!

DIEHARD
19-03-22, 05:21 PM
Titans sneak home in tight contest with Warriors
Martin Lenehan
https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/19/titans-sneak-home-in-tight-contest-with-warriors/

The return of AJ Brimson sparked the Titans to a 20-18 win over the Warriors in an entertaining Saturday afternoon clash at Cbus Super Stadium.

Brimson took less than a minute to lay on the game's opening try for Beau Fermor and finished the day with two try assists, a line break and a line break assist in his first game at five-eighth since 2019.

After the early strike by Fermor the Titans extended their lead in the 15th minute when Jayden Campbell lofted a pass to Greg Marzhew who put a huge fend on Marcelo Montoya and raced away to score under the posts.

A mistake by Philip Sami handed the Warriors field position and Wayde Egan cashed in with a try from dummy half to make it 12-6.

Marzhew then chalked up his double in the 26th minute when David Fifita put him away with a quality long ball and the Titans looked certain to lead at the break before a bizarre try to Adam Pompey levelled the scores.

Ash Taylor put in a grubber which Sami attempted to cover up but the ball spilled free and Pompey pounced, although there seemed to be plenty of doubt about the put-down. Reece Walsh's conversion made it 18-16 to the Warriors.

After five tries in the space of 25 minutes to end the opening stanza the game then settled into an arm wrestle before Brimson put Sami away with a sweetly timed pass and the Titans led 20-18.

That's where the scoring stopped despite the Warriors' best efforts to pull the game out of the fire.

Match snapshot
Titans winger Greg Marzhew was unstoppable at times, finishing the day with 209 running metres, nine tackle breaks and two line breaks.

Josh Curran got through a power of work in defence for the Warriors racking up 45 tackles for the match.
The Titans' tradesmen Jaimin Jolliffe and Beau Fermor went about their business with no fuss, running for 261 metres and 55 tackles between them.

Warriors prop Matt Lodge was physically sick during the first half as the heat took its toll and he played just 21 minutes for the day. Warriors trainers told Fox Sports the big man was 'overheated'.

Plays of the Game
It took AJ Brimson less than a minute to show that his switch to five-eighth will be a success as he split the defence wide open and found Beau Fermor in support for the fastest try in Titans history. After missing round one with a groin niggle, Brimson exploded out of the blocks and had the home crowd in a frenzy ... those who had found their seats anyway. Then with 22 minutes to play Brimson stepped up again to deliver a sweetly timed pass to Philip Sami for score to put the home side back in front.

What's Next
The Titans head to the nation's capital to face the Raiders and they'll have good memories of thier last trip to GIO Stadium - a resounding 44-6 win in round 16 last year. Experienced winger Corey Thompson could be some chance of returning from a broken hand but round four seems more likely.

The Warriors tackle Wests Tigers at Campbelltown Stadium. The last three clashes between the two sides have all gone the way of the Warriors - by two points, four points and six points.

DIEHARD
19-03-22, 05:25 PM
I don’t mean to roast him as he’s a work in progress and should still be in QCup while AJ is fit but JC’s body shape means he can’t go anywhere near the sideline or goal line which means he’s restricted in attack. Doesn’t promote the ball, limited defense and zero line breaks plus kick off out on the full = not good enough.

Team started well but dropped off into a snooze fest. The youth in the team means we will have lots of frustration this year. Sexton needs Smith with him, the team needs AJ at the back and Fifita looked a lot better but got gassed. My other observation is the rotation seems too slow. Tino and Fifita need to be rotated earlier. Is Thompson better than Marzhew, no in my opinion and Sami holding his own for now.

In summary: happy to win, no doubt but would like to see AJ in 1, Smith at 6 and Boyd at 14. JC will get his chance later.

Yoohoooo a win!!!

Pains me to say but I agree with you. That seems like a more safe and sound line up. My opinon also coloured by being impressed with Smith. Although I want to see AJ at 6 and see how he goes. JC has the height, he just needs some more weight and chance to develop. We have faith. But it's only Round 2 he'll get another crack against the Raiders.

Hail Sezer
19-03-22, 05:30 PM
Come on guys, we gotta give the spine more than 1 game together to show if it works or not :?)

JC certainly hasn't set the world on fire to start the year and today he had some shockers but he's not going to learn to play fullback at a high level in the NRL without playing fullback in the NRL. He was tearing up Qcup and the things that he needs to learn are NRL things that he didn't have to face at Qcup level. He's not terrible..I think we just expect a lot more. And so we should.

I honestly think AJ will prove himself to be too good at 5/8 to move. Particularly defensively what it does for that edge. The edge cohesion will only improve with time too.

DIEHARD
19-03-22, 05:30 PM
Gold Coast Titans v New Zealand Warriors | Match Highlights | Round 2, 2022 | NRL

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gGppmUW1ynY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gotitans101_
19-03-22, 05:35 PM
No way I'd shift AJ back to FB after one game at 5/8, which I thought he looked comfortable in. Also said as much in his post-match interview, that he was comfortable and that he grew up playing there. The switch has been made and it should stay that way.

BundyTitan
19-03-22, 05:43 PM
Great to get a win but boy was I happy to hear that full time siren ring :surprise: A win is a win though and we will take it but geez we would want to be better than that. As some have said though - last year we probably lose that game.

SPINE: Brimmo was absolutely brilliant at 5/8 and agreed HS, I think he’s in for a big year and needs to remain in the halves. Classy touches to set up two tries and more than held his own in defence. Sexton was also solid without being brilliant, his bomb kicking close to the line impresses me most. Campbell had a shocker. Completely hogged the ball instead of giving it to Fifita early, and would like to have some decisions over again. Clark was eh and Will Smith was dreadful I thought - knock on after he come on fresh and had no impact.

BACKS: Sami had a great game apart from that error on halftime which led to a try (which was not a try imo). Marzhew was also a monster in attack so not sure where Corey comes back into the side until one of these guys has a drop in form. Kelly was strong as always but gee I’m starting to lose patience with Patty Hebert. He was great for us last year but looks completely out of it this year. Poor decision making in defence and some of his crabbing across field runs leave a lot to be desired. Only early but he needs to wake up

FORWARDS: Captain Tino fantastic besides the dropped ball when we were attacking the line. Absolute workhorse and led through his actions. Fermor looked dangerous all game - AJ got him involved perfectly. MoFo solid, Lisone had some good touches and not sure why we had Proctor as our closing backrower but he wasn’t bad tbh. One thing we need to work out soon is how to use Fifita. As I said Campbell completely hogged the ball from him and Sexton hasn’t worked out how to play with him yet. Once we do we will be a much better side.

Anyway onwards and upwards to next week! Hopefully we can knock off the raiders at home two years in a row

DIEHARD
19-03-22, 05:48 PM
One of my mates just reminded me that his dad certainly overcame such worries. Let it rip JC.

Dooldog76
19-03-22, 06:04 PM
I think we need more kicking options. Sexton was largely ineffective with his first half kicks. Most of the time they looked like going out on the full.

indoallstars
19-03-22, 06:19 PM
I do want to see Wallace on the bench next game and McIntyre as well

ozynorts
19-03-22, 06:43 PM
Just watched the presser, apparently Fifita was cramping badly so couldn’t go back on.

lonegull
19-03-22, 06:46 PM
Anyone got the crowd figure

DIEHARD
19-03-22, 06:57 PM
Post match presser
https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/03/19/holbrook-and-faasuamaleaui-speak-to-media-after-cbus-win/

JunctionBlock
19-03-22, 07:08 PM

They didn't show it on the board but they did say it over the loud speakers bur I couldn't hear it over the sound of my eyes bleeding.

Titanic
19-03-22, 07:17 PM
Lol JB … I have to admit to developing a man crush on our coach … I wouldn’t swap him for any other coach. Always talks sense without the cliches, wears his heart on his sleeve and never avoids the tough questions.

RavShamrock
19-03-22, 07:37 PM
Yeah we won so no need for changes at this stage imo…although I do like the thought of Corey at the back if it turns out JC needs a little more time.

Dooldog76
19-03-22, 08:02 PM

14000 I heard.

Titans83
19-03-22, 08:58 PM
Sami and marzhew played very well. The work they put in to start the sets was great.
AJ looked much better than I expected
Sexton wasn’t nearly as good as last week, but still played decent.
Tino, Lui and Moe aren’t nearly as explosive as I hoped they would be. Lui to me made the most post contact meters. When tino first played for Melbourne I imagined he would be more damaging as a player. He’s seeming more like a toiler. He’s a great player and has an incredible work ethic.
It’s only early in the year but I’m worried we don’t have the defence and can’t grind out games again
AFB dominated and was a class above all the other middles.

DIEHARD
20-03-22, 12:57 AM

Source: Cbus Super Stadium

Maynard
20-03-22, 07:07 AM
AJ played far too good at 5/8 to move him anywhere else at this stage. If anything, he stays at 6 and figure out whether it’s JC or Will Smith at the back as the year goes on

Hail Sezer
20-03-22, 09:35 AM
Amidst the pain of watching that 80 minutes, one thing I did really notice yesterday is the improvement in defensive detail and effort areas. A guy like Isaac Liu does so much important work defensively that goes unnoticed and doesn't show up on the stat sheet because it's an effort/detail thing but when compounded over the course of a game, it adds so much to the team. Tino has always been good at that too. Fifita was particularly poor in these areas last year but judging by the last two games has improved a lot (if only we could give him some good ball..).

This is the kind of thing that Melbourne and the Roosters are built on. When you get this right, and you get it from all of your players, everything else improves off the back of it. I'm not saying we are there yet, or even close - but there are signs there we're improving.

Also, I really don't buy the "Warriors were a better team" thing either. We were bad, but when we needed to our key guys came up with big skill plays to score points. AJ to Fermor, Fifta to Marzhew, JC to Marzhew, AJ to Sami. And we should've scored another 2-3 in the first half with how we were attacking if not for some impatience and poor execution.

On the contrary, the Warriors scored - 1 dummy half barge over, 1 bunker try that wasn't even grounded when Sami couldn't clean up, and then one try from actual attacking shape where they made Marzhew make a decision and he made the wrong one.

Bayside Titan
20-03-22, 03:21 PM
Just watched the presser, apparently Fifita was cramping badly so couldn’t go back on.

Even on the sideline he was trying to stretch them out.

coreythompson
20-03-22, 10:39 PM
What about Corey Thompson to fullback
I really miss the impact of Mitch Rein on dummy half
We should of paid him more than Will Smith

Mitch Rein can play in the halves as well

Titslover
20-03-22, 11:10 PM
What about Corey Thompson to fullback
I really miss the impact of Mitch Rein on dummy half
We should of paid him more than Will Smith

Mitch Rein can play in the halves as well