PDA

View Full Version : QCUP Finals 2021

Titanic
12-09-21, 10:41 PM
Congratulations to our QCup teams for progressing to their respective qualifying finals Bears (3) and ‘Gulls (4). Also to the Tweed Colts (6).

Hail Sezer
13-09-21, 08:34 AM
Thanks for posting T. Re ISC - it's going to be interesting for Tweed who are desperate to have access to some of the Titans squad members now that they're out of the bubble. Burleigh have plenty of experience at this end of the competition.

That Tweed Colts side have done well with a lot of U18 eligible boys. The Burleigh Colts side on paper was a mile better, they've very much underperformed and have looked like a pretty uninspired side that was poorly coached.

Titanic
13-09-21, 10:46 AM
Awesome HS, I’m sure many of us place a lot of hope for our future on the “juniors” (covered so well by mdrew et al) and transitional platforms like ISC (it will always be QCup to me). The QRL’s live coverage is a great but insider info is not so accessible for those of us somewhat removed. Appreciate very much the snippets that filter through.

Hail Sezer
15-09-21, 09:15 AM
Toby Sexton has been given the green light to play for Tweed

Game will be televised on Kayo this saturday

DIEHARD
17-09-21, 11:43 AM
The QRL’s live coverage is a great but insider info is not so accessible for those of us somewhat removed. Appreciate very much the snippets that filter through.

Absolutely. I suffer the tyranny of distance too.

When the borders open. Let's get together for some QCUP games.

Toby Sexton has been given the green light to play for Tweed

Game will be televised on Kayo this saturday

Excellent. Let's give it our full attention.

Do you mean Sunday? The QRL website is telling me Sunday. https://www.qrl.com.au/draw/

Hail Sezer
17-09-21, 12:30 PM
Absolutely. I suffer the tyranny of distance too.

When the borders open. Let's get together for some QCUP games.

Excellent. Let's give it our full attention.

Do you mean Sunday? The QRL website is telling me Sunday. https://www.qrl.com.au/draw/

Yep Sunday

Bears game on Sunday too and is also televised I think

Mr Bods
17-09-21, 01:26 PM
Go Seagulls

GCTTSD
17-09-21, 02:45 PM
I hate having no titans games to look forward too can barely watch the finals now so this game is perfect, go seagulls

Hail Sezer
17-09-21, 02:54 PM
Shallin Fuller should be playing for Burleigh too. They're up against a pretty stacked Wynumm side featuring Selwyn Cobbo, David Mead, Jesse Arthars, Richie Kennar, TC Robati and ex-Titan Zeb Taia

lonegull
17-09-21, 04:02 PM
Thanks HS will be watching fuller with interest

GCTTSD
19-09-21, 02:26 PM
Good tackle from Boyd there on the line, I really hope he gets a full pre season training at 9 get friendy or Smith in to teach him could be a solid 9 I reckon

- - - Updated - - -

OMG SHALLIN FULLER what a freak

lonegull
19-09-21, 02:27 PM
Fuller just showed their what a freakish talent he is

GCTTSD
19-09-21, 02:29 PM
Unlucky there but I like how he backs himself, such a raw talent keen to see him after a full pre season

psmitty
19-09-21, 02:31 PM
Be good to see Sexton in the second game. Hopefully he has a blinder. Tanah Boyd looks pretty ordinary in this game.

lonegull
19-09-21, 02:42 PM
The ref should have a Wynnum jersey on this is so one sided with them getting all the calls it’s ridiculous

Hail Sezer
19-09-21, 02:43 PM
The ref should have a Wynnum jersey on this is so one sided with them getting all the calls it’s ridiculous

Yeah he’s been shocking. Too scared to call against the home team full of Broncos boys

Mr Bods
19-09-21, 02:44 PM
Hey I’m a rolled gold Tweed man but this pissant referee has totally robbed Burleigh of any chance to win.
What a knob.

lonegull
19-09-21, 02:44 PM
And another 2 disgraceful calls in a row this is shocking standard

kwigibo
19-09-21, 02:45 PM
There may be unheralded playing talent in the QLD cup, but I now understand why Ashley Klein still has a job, the reffing in this game is absolute garbage

Hail Sezer
19-09-21, 03:03 PM
Im picking Treymain Spry to have a blinder for Tweed

Titanic
19-09-21, 03:15 PM
I’d be looking at Wolff for 9 but Norths are full of our rejects.

Hail Sezer
19-09-21, 03:40 PM
I’d be looking at Wolff for 9 but Norths are full of our rejects.

I really like Liam Hampson as an impact 9

Hail Sezer
19-09-21, 04:10 PM
Who is Tweeds defensive coach?

DIEHARD
19-09-21, 04:35 PM
Just tuned in in time to see Sexton set himself up for a try with a grubber.

Devils just scored 16-16... 12 mins to go.

GCTTSD
19-09-21, 04:38 PM
Watch Sexton do what he should've been doing against the roosters and kicking a match winning field goal

Hail Sezer
19-09-21, 04:43 PM
Lol what on earth was Woolf doing there

DIEHARD
19-09-21, 04:49 PM
That was a comedy of errors. Seemed like it start with a communication error between winger and fullback on who would take the ball.

Well that's a wrap. Norths 22 Tweed 16.

Titanic
19-09-21, 04:57 PM
Enjoyed it except for the fade at the end … now to next week

Mr Bods
19-09-21, 08:05 PM
Spewing Tweed lost. Great effort.

Titanic
25-09-21, 03:14 PM
V. Reddy

Good start and let them back in … playing with enterprise but without luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Jacobs on the wing puts his foot into touch without pressure and bombs a try … amazing.

Titanic
25-09-21, 03:26 PM
After kicking away to 28-12 we shoot ourselves in the foot with unforced errors and let Reddy back in.

A smart run and barging try from Woolf adds a buffer … Sexton on target 34-18

Sexton himself, steps, under the posts and that’ll be all she wrote I’d reckon … 40-18.

Nope … Jayden Nikorima intercept leads to a long range try to Preston Riki 40-22.

Nope … Sexton drills a last second field goal … rest easy Bodsie 41-22 … next week our ‘Gulls v the Numnum’s.

JunctionBlock
25-09-21, 03:37 PM
Sexton scoring from nowhere. noice

Mr Bods
25-09-21, 03:39 PM
Take Toby off now. Don’t risk him.
Go the mighty Tweed!!

Hail Sezer
26-09-21, 02:32 PM
Burleigh on today at 3pm :)

GCTTSD
26-09-21, 02:36 PM
Hoping to see abit more of fuller magic hopefully he gets more game time

Hail Sezer
26-09-21, 03:03 PM
A lot of these Burleigh boys will be announcing their retirement from footy at the end of this season, so hopefully they can go out on a good note

lonegull
26-09-21, 04:08 PM
Gee kurtis Rowe form has taken a dive

Titanic
26-09-21, 04:13 PM
Bugger, it’s a work day in China for the impending National Holidays and will have to watch a replay.

Hail Sezer
26-09-21, 04:36 PM
Gee kurtis Rowe form has taken a dive

100%, he’s a mile off where he was in 2019. It’s criminal that Taine Taupiki isn’t starting at fullback tbh.

Man Burleigh play a boring brand of football. Rick Stone effect

Edit: Kurtis Rowe must’ve read my post bc he’s making me eat my words

JunctionBlock
26-09-21, 04:49 PM
Shout out to the grounds keeper/s at CBus, sorry to see Pizzey Park on such severe water restrictions.

lonegull
26-09-21, 06:48 PM
Grinding win by Burleigh, agree JB must the grounds man must be on holidays or someone forgot to pay the water bill.

Yes HS he was ok in the last 10 minutes but he had a lot of making up to do, I thought Burleigh looked better with Tanah at hooker late in the game he really got them going forward, I thought lynch of the bench was one of the best on the park

Mr Bods
26-09-21, 08:04 PM
Wonderful that both our clubs won and they are playing on GF Day and not against each other.
Good times.

DIEHARD
02-10-21, 09:01 PM
Intrust Super Cup preview: Preliminary finals to provide plenty to entertainment
https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/10/01/intrust-super-cup-preview-preliminary-finals-to-provide-plenty-to-entertainment/

It’s preliminary finals time in the Intrust Super Cup – and things are heating up on the field.

Sunday’s opening match will be a ‘flockbuster’ of epic proportions between Wynnum Manly Seagulls and Tweed Seagulls in a repeat of their 2011 grand final which was won by the green-and-red variety of Seagull.

The afternoon’s later match will see the minor premiers Norths Devils take on the defending premiers Burleigh Bears in what promises to be a heavyweight clash.

Match: WM Seagulls v Tweed Seagulls
FINALS WEEK 3 - SUNDAY 3RD OCTOBER

Match broadcasters:
Nine Network
Kayo
Foxtel
Nine Now

Wynnum Manly Seagulls (2) v Tweed Seagulls (4)
Head-to-head: Wynnum Manly Seagulls 24, Tweed Seagulls 16
Head-to-head in finals: Wynnum Manly Seagulls 4, Tweed Seagulls 1
Hashtags: #intrustsupercup #WYNvTWE
Broadcast: This match will be broadcast via Channel 9 in Queensland, Fox League, Kayo, 9Now
Kick-off: 12.15pm Queensland time

The Seagulls versus Seagulls match-up in the Intrust Super Cup is always an event, with the ‘flockbuster’ games becoming a noted rivalry in the competition.
Both teams will be confident of their chances, with Wynnum Manly having a week off to recover following their Week 1 grinding win against Burleigh Bears and Tweed flying high after putting in a dominant showing against Redcliffe Dolphins last weekend.
The last time these two sides met was in Round 2 earlier this year where Wynnum Manly prevailed 36-24 at Iona College.
In the head-to-head stakes, the Brisbane-based Seagulls have the advantage and have also won 10 of the past 13 games played between these two sides.
They also have the edge in finals matches and have won four of the five finals played between these two sides, with Tweed's only win coming in 2011. Wynnum Manly have also won the only previous game played between these two sides at Suncorp Stadium which was the 2011 grand final.
The last finals clash featuring these two sides played was in 2012, where Wynnum Manly again claimed the win, a 30-4 preliminary final victory at BMD Kougari Oval.
Going into this match, Wynnum Manly will be aiming for their 300th Cup win in their 562nd game. The club have 18 draws and 244 losses.
If this game wasn’t big enough already, this is also set to be the 100th Cup game for Wynnum Manly skipper Sam Scarlett, who also previously played with Souths Logan Magpies. The talented halfback now has 49 Cup tries and has scored 197 Cup points.
His coach Adam Brideson will be attempting to reach his second grand final in his fourth season in charge; Brideson’s last decider was the 2019 loss to Burleigh.
Opposing coach Ben Woolf is attempting to enter his first grand final in his third season at the helm of the Tweed Seagulls.
Young gun Toby Sexton scored 17 points in Tweed's win over Redcliffe last week, the most ever by a Tweed player in a final, beating club legend Brad Davis who scored 16 points against Ipswich in the 2007 knockout semi en route to their only Cup premiership.
The stadium surrounds will be a familiar place for a number of Wynnum Manly Seagulls, with the side fielding five players who featured for the Brisbane Broncos this season, with Selwyn Cobbo, David Mead, Jesse Arthars, TC Robati and Richie Kennar named to play.

Match: Devils v Bears
FINALS WEEK 3 - SUNDAY 3RD OCTOBER

Match broadcasters:
Nine Network
Kayo
Foxtel
Nine Now

Norths Devils (1) v Burleigh Bears (3)
Head-to-head: Burleigh 26 Norths 22
Head-to-head in finals: : Burleigh 3 Norths 1
Hashtags: #intrustsupercup #DEVILSvBEARS
Broadcast: This match will be broadcast via Channel 9 in Queensland, Fox League, Kayo, 9Now
Kick-off: 2.45pm Queensland time

This minor premiers versus defending premiers showdown is shaping up as a classic, with both the Norths Devils and Burleigh Bears fielding teams boasting talent and experience.
The Bears have hit their stride and overpowered an understrength Souths Logan Magpies side last weekend in a match that showcased the skills of their forwards, while the Devils did just enough in Week 1 to overcome Tweed Seagulls.
The last time these sides met was in Round 6 this year where Burleigh stunned the Devils with a 36-0 at Bishop Park; but fans will be expecting a much tighter match this time around. That loss was the only one the Devils suffered in the first 16 rounds of the competition and was only the second time the Devils have failed to score in a Cup game.
In the head-to-head stakes, the Bear have a slight advantage and have won the past two games between these two sides, with the Devils winning the previous four.
An experienced campaigner, Bears coach Rick Stone is attempting to become the first coach to make five Cup grand finals. Stone has coached the most games in Cup history with 229 and is taking part in his ninth finals series with Burleigh in 10 years in charge, only missing the finals in 1998 by one win.
There is more history to celebrate for Norths Devils as well, with newly crowned Intrust Super Cup Winger of the Year Jon Reuben currently sitting in sixth for all time try scorers in the Cup. Reuben has amassed 108 tries in 104 games.
Bears fullback Kurtis Rowe was in fine form last weekend and crossed for a try to add to his impressive overall tally and he is now only one short of Burleigh's Cup try scoring record held jointly by Reggie Cressbrook and Trent Purdon on 69.
Extra motivation to win will be with the Bears who will be keen to go back-to-back this season and send retiring skipper Luke Page out with a bang.

Hail Sezer
03-10-21, 01:49 PM
Wynnum with the most NRL player stacked team in the competition. Big ask for Tweed who will need to be at their best

Spud Carroll in the commentary is painful. Why they persist with ex players who have watched none of the competition and weigh in with continually out of touch takes I’ll never know

indoallstars
03-10-21, 01:54 PM
HS who's the number 9 for Wynnum, is he signed up with a nrl club? Don't watch that much qcup but he's having a decent game, how does he generally go?

Hail Sezer
03-10-21, 01:56 PM
HS who's the number 9 for Wynnum, is he signed up with a nrl club? Don't watch that much qcup but he's having a decent game, how does he generally go?

Jayden Berrell. He’s not signed anywhere, used to be with Broncos junior system but that was a while ago now.

He won the Qcup player of the year for this year. He’s good. But he’s also got probably the best roster in the comp to play with at Wynumm which helps a fair bit.

indoallstars
03-10-21, 02:15 PM
Jayden Berrell. He’s not signed anywhere, used to be with Broncos junior system but that was a while ago now.

He won the Qcup player of the year for this year. He’s good. But he’s also got probably the best roster in the comp to play with at Wynumm which helps a fair bit.

Cheers for that HS!

indoallstars
03-10-21, 02:34 PM
The more I watch this Berrell the more I think we should sign him, plays with heart and is slick from dummy half.

Hail Sezer
03-10-21, 02:35 PM
The more I watch this Berrell the more I think we should sign him, plays with heart and is slick from dummy half.

I can’t help but think there is something in his game or off field that clubs don’t like - he’s been good for a while but hasn’t had as much as a pre-season from anyone.

Can certainly play football though and is a great competitor. Would love to see him get a chance somewhere

Mr Bods
03-10-21, 02:37 PM
This is terrible viewing
Good season anyway by Tweed

indoallstars
03-10-21, 02:49 PM
I can’t help but think there is something in his game or off field that clubs don’t like - he’s been good for a while but hasn’t had as much as a pre-season from anyone.

Can certainly play football though and is a great competitor. Would love to see him get a chance somewhere

You must be right he looks like he's a calibre above in this game, so many teams short on no 9s and no one's taking a punt on him. What do they know which the fans don't? The Mitch Rein haircut doesn't help..

Hail Sezer
03-10-21, 03:51 PM
Lol odds on Blocker to death ride Burleigh due to association with the Titans

gotitans101_
03-10-21, 04:21 PM
Tanah Boyd is so bad. Can't kick, still can't tackle.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha #12 for Burleigh...so bad.

Hail Sezer
03-10-21, 04:23 PM
Tanah Boyd is so bad. Can't kick, still can't tackle.

He’s been pretty good this year for them mate. He had a bad passage of play there though, yes.

gotitans101_
03-10-21, 04:27 PM
Josh Berkers. Someone teach this kid how to tackle.

Hail Sezer
03-10-21, 04:28 PM
Josh Berkers. Someone teach this kid how to tackle.

Welcome to the world of Qcup GT

gotitans101_
03-10-21, 04:44 PM
He’s been pretty good this year for them mate. He had a bad passage of play there though, yes.

Horrible passage of play that turned the tide of the game. Burleigh never recovered.

- - - Updated - - -

Fuller came on towards the end of the half and immediately made a try-saving tackle.

GCTTSD
03-10-21, 04:46 PM
Praying for a fuller miracle here

Hail Sezer
03-10-21, 04:59 PM
Horrible passage of play that turned the tide of the game. Burleigh never recovered.

- - - Updated - - -

Fuller came on towards the end of the half and immediately made a try-saving tackle.

Ok. Point was, it was a passage in an otherwise good year.

- - - Updated - - -

Yaaaay Shal!

- - - Updated - - -

These in front of kicker penalties are embarrassingly bad

gotitans101_
03-10-21, 05:10 PM
Is Josh Rogers always this bad?

Hail Sezer
03-10-21, 05:11 PM
Is Josh Rogers always this bad?

Man they’re regular dudes with full time jobs who also play football lol go easy

gotitans101_
03-10-21, 05:14 PM
Man they’re regular dudes with full time jobs who also play football lol go easy

I'll admit I haven't watched any QLD cup games this year...but if these past two semis are anything to go by then it doesn't look as though I'm missing much? There's a few shining lights but other than that the quality is really lacking, well at least from our mobs.

Hail Sezer
03-10-21, 05:15 PM
I'll admit I haven't watched any QLD cup games this year...but if these past two semis are anything to go by then it doesn't look as though I'm missing much? There's a few shining lights but other than that it's a bog-average division.

Wow.

gotitans101_
03-10-21, 05:15 PM
Wow.

What?

These are the semis and both games have been blowouts.

Are you telling me the losers of these games are the best this competition has to offer?

zzz

Hail Sezer
03-10-21, 05:19 PM
What?

These are the semis and both games have been blowouts.

Are you telling me the losers of these games are the best this competition has to offer?

zzz

Are you sweet?

DIEHARD
03-10-21, 05:32 PM
:cry:Shame to see our teams bow out. We were out played in both though.

I'll be backing Norths now. They really are my most local side. Well from where I grew up not where I am.

DIEHARD
03-10-21, 05:34 PM
Farewell Luke Page. Cracker of a kick to cap it off. :laugh:

Whats Doing
03-10-21, 11:02 PM
Luke Page has been one of the best Bears for a number of years and today was no exception. We’ll done Luke for s good career and wish you all the best for the future

Titanic
04-10-21, 12:11 AM
Disappointing results but nevertheless pretty commendable efforts. Teams that have to lose or place NRL fringe players will always lack cohesion. No excuses just facts. The opposition fielded a litany of our own rejects to top it off.

Also wanted to add my salute to Luke Page … always played above his weight and with his heart on his sleeve. I hope the Kumuls keep him in their inner sanctum.

DIEHARD
04-10-21, 11:17 AM
Also wanted to add my salute to Luke Page … always played above his weight and with his heart on his sleeve. I hope the Kumuls keep him in their inner sanctum.

He seems to be very well respected by the PNGRL community.

Hail Sezer
10-10-21, 05:33 PM
This grand final is an absolute ripper

How good is the Qcup

GCTTSD
10-10-21, 05:40 PM
Yea I wish every game was shown on Fox/kayo

Hail Sezer
10-10-21, 05:58 PM
Woooow what a try

gotitans101_
10-10-21, 05:59 PM
This grand final is an absolute ripper

How good is the Qcup

shame it's none of our feeder clubs

Hail Sezer
10-10-21, 06:01 PM
shame it's none of our feeder clubs

Who cares

Enjoy the game

gotitans101_
10-10-21, 06:03 PM
Who cares

Enjoy the game

2 feeder clubs to the Donkeys. Nothing to enjoy.

Hail Sezer
10-10-21, 06:07 PM
2 feeder clubs to the Donkeys. Nothing to enjoy.

Why are you watching it then?

lonegull
10-10-21, 06:21 PM
What a game bloody cracker 80 minutes of entertainment

DIEHARD
10-10-21, 07:15 PM
What a game bloody cracker 80 minutes of entertainment

It was a stunning game. We have been so spoiled over the last few weeks. I am happy because I was going for Norths over Wynnum.

That last try for North was marvelous and a great example of why I love Rugby League. I'd have loved to have been there. The Norths supporter giving it to Campagnolo? and subsequently missing the conversion that would have put WM in front.

Great games lately. Really stoking my love of the game.

Titanic
10-10-21, 09:40 PM
The argument that there is not enough depth for 18 teams in the NRL doesn’t fly for me. For sure many of the players at QCup level are not NRL ready yet but there are so many fringe and emerging players who really only need more top grade exposure. I’d add Perth to the mix immediately and Kiwi2 plus another in 2025.

DIEHARD
13-10-21, 02:39 AM
The argument that there is not enough depth for 18 teams in the NRL doesn’t fly for me. For sure many of the players at QCup level are not NRL ready yet but there are so many fringe and emerging players who really only need more top grade exposure. I’d add Perth to the mix immediately and Kiwi2 plus another in 2025.

I agree. I want Perth and a 2nd NZ has a lot of merit indeed.

I was also thinking that if the Dolphins* are smart they will keep an eye out and the check book open during the World Cup next year. Might get some handy bargains.