PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo Olympics 2020 (2021)

DIEHARD
21-07-21, 11:19 AM
I'm all in on this. I even ordered a heap of merch from the AOC.

I ordered and then got an email two weeks later saying my order had left the warehouse.

I replied, "Gee, I hope our athletes are faster than your warehouse staff." :eyebrows:

JunctionBlock
21-07-21, 11:36 AM
Imagine spending 4 billion dollars on stadiums that won't be filled. Could have just had it at a school oval.

DIEHARD
21-07-21, 12:04 PM
Imagine spending 4 billion dollars on stadiums that won't be filled. Could have just had it at a school oval.

Unimaginable they couldn't have sorted it out in 18 months. Who even knows what the opening and closing ceremonies will look like.

Probably won't have the traditional athlete parades and especially the one when they mix at the closing.

DIEHARD
21-07-21, 12:07 PM
http://www.diehardtitan.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/1C9D56D5-0324-41BA-83CF-3BA6B021C0A0.jpg

RavShamrock
21-07-21, 07:11 PM
Hey found this link for event times for Aussies @ the Olympics.
Always pisses me off when I hear a result I didn't know was on.
Happy days if someone has a better way to stay on-top of our schedule (probably an app out there I guess)

https://www.theroar.com.au/olympics/olympics-events-schedule/

DIEHARD
22-07-21, 02:20 PM
Hey found this link for event times for Aussies @ the Olympics.
Always pisses me off when I hear a result I didn't know was on.
Happy days if someone has a better way to stay on-top of our schedule (probably an app out there I guess)

https://www.theroar.com.au/olympics/olympics-events-schedule/

God send. Thanks!

The further away from Australia I am the more sentimental I am for it.

Really proud of Brisbane getting the Olympics. Finally I wont have to explain to people overseas what and where it is.

Although, strangely... there are heaps of people I've worked with and encountered in HK who have been to Brissie. Including my current boss. Certainly helped in the interview. :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
22-07-21, 02:21 PM
I wonder what is going to happen with the Opening Ceremony. Will the Japanese unleash their robots?

DIEHARD
22-07-21, 08:50 PM
I'm watching Argentina vs Australia soccer right now. Go Aussies.

DIEHARD
23-07-21, 07:18 PM
I enjoyed watching the Olyroos beat Argentina last night. I can't really get into soccer regularly, but World Cups and Olympics I can.

DIEHARD
23-07-21, 07:19 PM
Opening Ceremony
The Games of the XXXII Olympiad in Tokyo will be officially opened on Friday, July 23 in a three-hour ceremony, which will commence at 9pm (AEST), and run until around 12am (AEST), concluding the with the parade of nations and lighting of the Olympic cauldron.

DIEHARD
23-07-21, 07:50 PM
Tokyo Olympics to debut new sports, including skateboarding, surfing, sport climbing,3v3 basketball and karate
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-22/tokyo-olympics-new-sports-skateboarding-surfing-sport-climbing/100306346

RavShamrock
23-07-21, 09:56 PM
Opening Ceremony
The Games of the XXXII Olympiad in Tokyo will be officially opened on Friday, July 23 in a three-hour ceremony, which will commence at 9pm (AEST), and run until around 12am (AEST), concluding the with the parade of nations and lighting of the Olympic cauldron.

Was a bit boring for me I had to move on

DIEHARD
24-07-21, 02:16 PM
it got a lot better and what I expected later on.

Highlights for me were the drones of making the world above the stadium.

The video of the people making human pictograms of every sport. I can't find a video of it yet.

DIEHARD
24-07-21, 02:28 PM
Mens road race on now.

4:30 - Water Polo Women: Canada vs Australia
6:30 - Football Women: Sweden vs Australia

RavShamrock
24-07-21, 02:56 PM
Yes the road race is awesome!
Go Aussies any colour medal would be fantastic.

DIEHARD
24-07-21, 03:10 PM
If anyone sees any good things to watch, please shout out. It's a bit challenging trying to keep track.

And thanks RavShamrock for the roar link you posted. It's been very useful.

RavShamrock
24-07-21, 06:49 PM
Aussie womens soccer on right now on 73 against Sweeden.
I think they are a real chance for gold this mob so certainly worth a look.

As soon as I say it bloody Sweeden scores WTF.

RavShamrock
24-07-21, 07:08 PM
Sam Kerr is a legend

DIEHARD
24-07-21, 10:00 PM
Swimming has started strongly tonight.

RavShamrock
01-08-21, 08:01 PM
How good are the Olympics going and how great are us Aussie.
We have been sensational and and plenty more to come by the looks.

JunctionBlock
01-08-21, 08:09 PM
Why does Russia get to compete after being banned under a different name? Seems like it's just a slap on the wrist penalty when they've been caught cheating.

RavShamrock
01-08-21, 08:26 PM
JB I cut the below from an article on sportingnews.com as you made me curious with your question.
I suppose it's fair to ban the cheats but allow the innocent (if that can be ascertained).
Glad you asked it
Cheers

Why athletes aren't competing under the Russian flag?

Athletes aren't competing under the Russian flag because of a punishment handed down by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA). Originally, Russia had been suspended for four years of Olympic action, but in late 2020, that punishment was reduced to two years.

During that two-year period, athletes that weren't involved in the Russian doping scandal are still able to compete in Olympic competition. That's why there are 335 Russians competing in the 2021 Olympics. However, they have to do it as neutrals.
As a result, they aren't competing under the flag nor will the Russian national anthem play during the Olympics. They will, however, wear uniforms that incorporate the colors of the country's flag, much to the dismay of WADA.

- - - Updated - - -

Here comes the Aussie in the mens 100m semi…go son!

JunctionBlock
02-08-21, 07:49 AM
Should just have an olympics style event whereby there is no drug testing, lets see what we can achieve juiced up.

DIEHARD
02-08-21, 07:19 PM
One great thing about the Olympics has been lots of great wins and medals from underdogs like Taiwan, Hong Kong, Philippines, Indonesia. Also Tunisia and San Marino.

Lots of great Aussie efforts. Especially enjoyed Logan's medal in BMX. I hope the cycling can bag us some medals.

Sorry to see the Hockeyroos get knocked out of medal contention by India.

RavShamrock
02-08-21, 08:59 PM
Big game for the Matildas just about to kick off…go girls!

DIEHARD
02-08-21, 09:00 PM
Big game for the Matildas just about to kick off…go girls!

Yea I'm watching. Good luck ladies! I'm nervous after India beating the Hockeyroos.

RavShamrock
02-08-21, 09:06 PM
Yea I'm watching. Good luck ladies! I'm nervous after India beating the Hockeyroos.

I didn't watch the hockeyroos but I think the Matildas have improved since the Sweds beat us in the early round…Kerr (2) is phenomenal

RavShamrock
07-08-21, 06:34 PM
Boomers going for Bronze @ 9pm.
If we win I think it will be the first medal we have ever won from Olympic Basketball.
Go Boys!

DIEHARD
08-08-21, 04:22 PM
Really proud of the Boomers and especially Patty Millds.

So many magic moments in the games. I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've probably given every sport a watch, even if there are no Aussies.

I'm also looking forward to the start of the Paralympics.