PDA

View Full Version : Round 10: STORM vs TITANS (2020)

DIEHARD
11-07-20, 02:01 AM
STORM vs TITANS

Mr Bods
11-07-20, 06:50 AM
Venue?????

ozynorts
11-07-20, 07:14 AM
Sunshine Coast Stadium Bods.

Mr Bods
11-07-20, 07:41 AM
^^^ thanks. We might have a few fans living up that way.

Hail Sezer
11-07-20, 08:15 AM
What a treat I finally get to watch the boys and my new favourite player (getting in early so I don’t get JB/Fermor’d) Tiiiinnoooo

shamus
11-07-20, 08:18 AM
Back to earth now

elltee
11-07-20, 12:08 PM
I think peats will have to come back for the next three games at-least. Realy tighten up the middle defensively. I like Clarks energy but lacks polish. We will need peats experience against the big 3.

NZTITAN
11-07-20, 03:04 PM
If Hercules Hipgrave is named then Titans by 10 at minimum no question

Dobes
11-07-20, 03:12 PM
We did beat them that time up at Suncorp when they still had the big 3. So I guess not completely impossible, but it will be difficult

Mr Bods
11-07-20, 03:25 PM
Paying $7 for the win. Long odds.

TitansState
11-07-20, 04:41 PM
Tino's starting in the second-row tonight vs Raiders. Been wondering if he can play the full 80 there.

Hail Sezer
11-07-20, 08:04 PM
Are we expecting anyone back from injury this week?

indoallstars
11-07-20, 08:34 PM
Are we expecting anyone back from injury this week?

Hoping Brian Kelly will be back, don't know the extent of his injury but that would be a nice to have so carry can piss off

Mr Bods
11-07-20, 08:54 PM
Copley?????

T0ken
11-07-20, 09:09 PM
Tino looks good for us next year.

For next week hope copley and kelly are back that should shift fermour to SR and spry can keep his wing spot or switch kelly and spry. Just treat it like any other game and play with the same grit and I’ll be happy. Melbourne just never lose to us except for that 1 game lol

Mr Bods
11-07-20, 09:37 PM
If Copley and Kelly are available then team selection will be very interesting.
Got the impression from the match report that Hipgrave is expected to be able to play.
Wouldn’t surprise me if Peats gets the nod at starting Hooker this week too.

NZFan
12-07-20, 09:04 AM
I think with Fogarty stepping up and starting to settle into his role it would make sense to bring Peats back. I haven't been impressed with Clarke at all. He's nuggety but that's about it. A simplified game plan would help Peats.

I'd like to see Spry moved to right centre also. It is his natural side and I think he could form a decent combination with Don during this period. They are both tall players so it would further strengthen that ride side kicking option.

Titanic
12-07-20, 12:15 PM
Is it only me or is Spry carrying a lot of bulk?

mdrew
12-07-20, 01:03 PM
Always has had that body shape mate to be fair

Is it only me or is Spry carrying a lot of bulk?

Croc
12-07-20, 01:04 PM
He looks similar built as Latrell to me.. big winger

FalconSloth
13-07-20, 08:29 PM
I think the biggest positive to our chances of beating the storm is also the biggest negative. Last week the storm were sloppy and a long way from their best, if they continue that into this week it would be great for our chances but the storm always find a way to play amazing following a mediocre game.

Mr Bods
13-07-20, 08:39 PM
Our odds have blown out from $7 to $8
A famous GC win coming up this week.

Hail Sezer
14-07-20, 04:05 PM
I like the lineup. Fermor starting on that left edge. Carty out altogether. Sami getting a start at centre. BK back. Will wait for JB to post it all pretty n nice

Titslover
14-07-20, 04:05 PM
Kelly back at 3 and Sami at 4. Fermor and Hipgrave 2nd rows, Stone out of the 17 and Cartwright out of the 21 altogether, I'm assuming dropped for that offload. Not sure how Sami will do at centre but other than that really like the side.

TitansState
14-07-20, 04:13 PM
Spry at centre with Sami on the wing could've worked too

JunctionBlock
14-07-20, 04:14 PM
I like the lineup. Fermor starting on that left edge. Carty out altogether. Sami getting a start at centre. BK back. Will wait for JB to post it all pretty n nice

https://i.imgur.com/O7q3kAI.jpg

willhelm
14-07-20, 04:18 PM
Don’t understand the Sami/Spry positioning. Spry plays right centre in QCup so why not just play him there instead of playing both him and Sami out of position?

Would’ve liked to have seen Peats in for Clark too. Not very impressed with Clark so far. He has heart but no head.

JunctionBlock
14-07-20, 04:19 PM
With the exception of Wallace (for obvious reasons) and Spry (due to better injured talent) I don’t think we can field a better team.

Add Rein to that lost too.

Hail Sezer
14-07-20, 04:22 PM
With the amount of defensive responsibility a centre has, and with no ISC to put training systems into practice week in week out, I wouldn’t be throwing a one gamer like Spry at centre just yet. Especially against Melbourne.

Titslover
14-07-20, 04:25 PM
Yeah agreed and he doesn't quite look fit enough to handle defending in the centres yet. HS do you have any idea if Sami has played much centre before, or how you think he'll go there? Feel like his attack will be good but a bit nervous for his defence.

Mr Bods
14-07-20, 05:01 PM
Sami played most of his NYC for us at Centre and sometimes he’d be put back to Fullback if injuries happened.
I always saw him back in those days as a future Centre prospect.

Hail Sezer
14-07-20, 05:03 PM
Yeah agreed and he doesn't quite look fit enough to handle defending in the centres yet. HS do you have any idea if Sami has played much centre before, or how you think he'll go there? Feel like his attack will be good but a bit nervous for his defence.

He played there in MM and NYC, only converted to a full time winger once he was in top grade. Ran a good unders line but is a much different player to back then. Can’t comment on his defence tbh

gotitans101_
14-07-20, 05:05 PM
Munster back lol

Upthetits
14-07-20, 05:05 PM
I thought sami played a game at centre before? Maybe 2? I dont think his defensive reads were very good but that was before the new coaching staff. I honestly hope he kicks on and becomes a really good centre

Titanic Believer
14-07-20, 05:58 PM
Am liking that Holbrook is trying out new combinations. When it comes to next year's recruitment/ditching dead wood it will be invaluable.

Dooldog76
14-07-20, 06:34 PM
I like fermor straight in the back row. So good, hopefully he keeps it when cokey comes back. I am surprised to see Cartwright go, hopefully this fire's a rocket up him to perform or to move on. I still like the look of him in our squad as a utility, but not for what we are paying him. I would have l i ke to see stone in the 17 as well. He played his guts out last week. Also good to see Kelly back.

JunctionBlock
14-07-20, 07:10 PM
I like fermor straight in the back row. So good, hopefully he keeps it when cokey comes back. I am surprised to see Cartwright go, hopefully this fire's a rocket up him to perform or to move on. I still like the look of him in our squad as a utility, but not for what we are paying him. I would have l i ke to see stone in the 17 as well. He played his guts out last week. Also good to see Kelly back.

Stone may still come back pending Hipgraves ability to play this weekend.

Dooldog76
14-07-20, 07:18 PM
Stone may still come back pending Hipgraves ability to play this weekend.

I hope it's not at Hipgrave's expense. He was great for us last week. A pity stone can't play in the front row. I know who he'd be replacing on the bench.

Upthetits
14-07-20, 07:21 PM
How long until proctors back and what will happen with fermor if hipgrave is fit and firing?

Hipgrave to front row and proctor to right side?

elltee
14-07-20, 07:49 PM
Great to see Cookie and Benji getting on the Titans and saying Fifi should sign with us over the gronk's.

Titanic
14-07-20, 08:04 PM
Maybe the secret to Hipgrave is to play busted to keep him focused. Like this team much better ... not as winners but as a stepping stone towards winning.

JunctionBlock
14-07-20, 08:09 PM
How long until proctors back and what will happen with fermor if hipgrave is fit and firing?

Hipgrave to front row and proctor to right side?

Proctor tore his bicep and was supposed to be a couple of weeks. Not sure how the team will look with Proctor available but our bench will look stronger.

JunctionBlock
14-07-20, 08:28 PM
Just thinking that Sami dislocated his shoulder and was suppose to miss 6 weeks. Hope he’s not rushing back. No disrespect to the squad but the next three weeks odds will be against us. If he’s not 99% it may be best to rest.

Dooldog76
14-07-20, 08:31 PM
Gee It would be good to jag even one of the upcoming games against Melbourne, Panthers and roosters. Not likely, but gee it would be good.

Sami Erect
14-07-20, 08:43 PM
Brenko Lee revenge game

elltee
14-07-20, 09:11 PM
Just thinking that Sami dislocated his shoulder and was suppose to miss 6 weeks. Hope he’s not rushing back. No disrespect to the squad but the next three weeks odds will be against us. If he’s not 99% it may be best to rest.

My thinking as-well. Interesting GL in the 21. Could be a game day switch on the cards perhaps.

Titanic
14-07-20, 10:12 PM
I think our coach plays it straight.

psmitty
15-07-20, 10:17 AM
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/coach-killers-the-sinners-at-your-club-nrl-gifting-opponents-and-sparking-reactions-like-this/news-story/6aba8c61c8e8941a5e091cc2b19311c2

Our worst offenders this year:

ERRORS

Ash Taylor 14
Bryce Cartwright 11
Anthony Don 10
Tyrone Peachey 9
Erin Clark 7

PENALTIES CONCEDED

Moeaki Fotuaika 3 penalties + 9 set restarts = Total 12
Tyrone Peachey 7 penalties + 2 set restarts = Total 9
Jarrod Wallace 5 penalties + 2 set restarts = Total 7
Bryce Cartwright 5 penalties + 1 set restart = Total 6
Kevin Proctor 1 penalty + 5 set restarts = Total 6
Keegan Hipgrave 2 penalties + 4 set restarts = Total 6

MISSED TACKLES

Ash Taylor 26
Tyrone Peachey 21
Bryce Cartwright 20
Keegan Hipgrave 18
Tanah Boyd 15
Brian Kelly 14

TRY CAUSES

Phillip Sami 11
Tyrone Peachey 7
Brian Kelly 6
Ash Taylor 5
Bryce Cartwright 5
Anthony Don 5

JunctionBlock
15-07-20, 10:28 AM
Cartwright and Peachey on all four lists. Surprising to see the set restarts for Mo and missed tackles for second rowers and replacement hooker.

gcboyz
15-07-20, 10:41 AM
Certainly not unhappy with Mo's numbers. Effectively 12 penalties from nine games playing big minutes.
Taylor's numbers also expected to be high as he touches the ball every attacking set and the little guys get targeted every defensive set.

willhelm
15-07-20, 10:50 AM
Those stats don't tell the whole story as they need to be corrected for exposure, whether that's time on the field or number of touches. For example, looking at just the total number of penalties conceded makes Mo look like our worst offender. However, when you correct for minutes played, he's far better than Wallace. According to NRL.com, Mo has played a total of 463 minutes this season while Wallace has played only 209 minutes. Therefore, Mo is giving away a penalty or set restart every 39 minutes of game time compared to Wallace's 29 minutes. The infringement rate tells more of a story than the total infringement count.

Similarly, Ash has 396 receipts and 14 errors for an error rate of 1 error per 28 receipts. NRL.com doesn't have Fogarty listed for some reason so I can't directly compare, but the others listed above are as follows:
- Cartwright: 111/11 = 1 error per 10 receipts
- Don: 157/10 = 1 error per 16 receipts
- Peachey: 209/9 = 1 error per 23 receipts
- Clark: 311/7 = 1 error per 44 receipts

This doesn't even account for try assists, linebreak assists, forced dropouts, etc. which are higher risk plays and hence more susceptible to errors. At face value, it looks like Clark is a much more disciplined player than anyone else, but then we need to consider that he plays as a hooker who simply distributes from the ruck, whereas Don plays on the wing and is often on the receiving end of high risk plays at the end of sets. The higher error rate therefore makes sense for Don.

What I do take from these stats is that they confirm what we can all see with our own eyes: Cartwright tends to overplay his hand resulting in frequent errors. For direct comparison with another player in the same position, I looked at the stats for Cordner, whom I consider to be the cream of the current crop of second rowers. He has 120 receipts for 4 errors, or 1 error per 30 receipts (I had to get the errors from Fox Sports lab as NRL.com doesn't have them listed for some reason). Cartwright is therefore committing errors at 3x the rate of Cordner. Cartwright is known for his skill, sleight of hand and ability to create something from nothing, but he has 0 try assists, 0 linebreak assists, and only 1 total try involvement. He also has 20 missed tackles, 8 ineffective tackles, 5 try causes, 6 linebreak causes, and 11 defensive errors. Again, compare this with Cordner who has 0 try assists, 0 linebreak assists, 3 total try involvements, 12 missed tackles, 8 ineffective tackles, 2 try causes, 1 linebreak cause, and 4 defensive errors.

I'm glad Holbrook dropped Cartwright this week and I hope he stays dropped.

Hail Sezer
15-07-20, 10:54 AM
Those stats don't tell the whole story as they need to be corrected for exposure, whether that's time on the field or number of touches. For example, looking at just the total number of penalties conceded makes Mo look like our worst offender. However, when you correct for minutes played, he's far better than Wallace. According to NRL.com, Mo has played a total of 463 minutes this season while Wallace has played only 209 minutes. Therefore, Mo is giving away a penalty or set restart every 39 minutes of game time compared to Wallace's 29 minutes. The infringement rate tells more of a story than the total infringement count.

Similarly, Ash has 396 receipts and 14 errors for an error rate of 1 error per 28 receipts. NRL.com doesn't have Fogarty listed for some reason so I can't directly compare, but the others listed above are as follows:
- Cartwright: 111/11 = 1 error per 10 receipts
- Don: 157/10 = 1 error per 15.7 receipts
- Peachey: 209/9 = 1 error per 23 receipts
- Clark: 311/7 = 1 error per 44 receipts

This doesn't even account for try assists, linebreak assists, forced dropouts, etc. which are higher risk plays and hence more susceptible to errors. At face value, it looks like Clark is a much more disciplined player than anyone else, but then we need to consider that he plays as a hooker who simply distributes from the ruck, whereas Don plays on the wing and is often on the receiving end of high risk plays at the end of sets. The higher error rate therefore makes sense for Don.

What I do take from these stats is that they confirm what we can all see with our own eyes: Cartwright tends to overplay his hand resulting in frequent errors. For direct comparison with another player in the same position, I looked at the stats for Cordner, whom I consider to be the cream of the current crop of second rowers. He has 120 receipts for 4 errors, or 1 error per 30 receipts (I had to get the errors from Fox Sports lab as NRL.com doesn't have them listed for some reason). Cartwright is therefore committing errors at 3x the rate of Cordner. Cartwright is known for his skill, sleight of hand and ability to create something from nothing, but he has 0 try assists, 0 linebreak assists, and only 1 total try involvement. He also has 20 missed tackles, 8 ineffective tackles, 5 try causes, 6 linebreak causes, and 11 defensive errors. Again, compare this with Cordner who has 0 try assists, 0 linebreak assists, 3 total try involvements, 12 missed tackles, 8 ineffective tackles, 2 try causes, 1 linebreak cause, and 4 defensive errors.

I'm glad Holbrook dropped Cartwright this week and I hope he stays dropped.

I endorse this post

indoallstars
15-07-20, 11:04 AM
Great post willhelm

lonegull
15-07-20, 11:08 AM
thanks for the post willhelm explains the stats a lot better

willhelm
15-07-20, 11:17 AM
I live to serve

JunctionBlock
15-07-20, 12:39 PM
I live to serve

Great breakdown. Shame we can't reduce Wallace's mistake rates to 0 by reducing his mins to 0 as well.

willhelm
15-07-20, 01:15 PM
Since my last post was a hit and as I have a bit of time on my hands today, I did a bit of a deeper dive on Ash as he cops a lot of criticism, some of which I think is unfair. I've noticed that rugbah leeg fans tend to skew towards pessimism and hone in on the negatives, so hopefully these stats help to make the bigger picture a bit clearer. Namely that Ash is one of the best attacking performers and is far from the worst half overall. Criticism of my scoring methods/analysis is welcome. If mods think this belongs in its own thread, I'm happy to split it out of this match thread.

Method
I looked at 3 key areas: 1) Attack, 2) Defence, 3) Discipline. I didn’t have time to compile stats for all halves currently in the league, so I picked out some of the more prominent halves like Pearce, DCE and Keary as well as some of the younger guys like Flanagan, Clifford and Croft. I also included some players such as Cleary, Walker, Milford and Brooks who should be roughly equivalent to Ash in terms of experience / role in the team.

For Attack, the key stats I looked at were: Try Assists (TA), Try Contributions (TC), Total Try Involvements (TTI), Linebreak Assists (LBA), Forced Dropouts (FDO) and 40/20. An overall Attack Score (AS) was then taken as the sum of each of these key stats. Attack rankings are in order of highest Attack Score to lowest.

For Defence, the key stats I looked at were: Tackles (TK), Missed Tackles (MT), Ineffective Tackles (IT), Tackle Efficiency (TE, %), Try Causes (TC), and Linebreak Causes (LBC). The overall Defence Score (DS) was taken as the negative sum of Try Causes and Linebreak Causes, then adjusted by dividing by the Tackle Efficiency, i.e. a lower Tackle Efficiency results in a more negative Defense Score. For example, a total of 10 Try Causes and Linebreak Causes with a tackle efficiency of 100% results in a Defense Score of -10, whereas the same number of Causes with a tackle efficiency of 75% results in a Defense Score of -13.33 (-10/0.75 = -13.33). Note that the Tackle Efficiency was taken as the proportion of Tackles to all tackle attempts, i.e. TE = TK / (TK + MT + IT). For this purpose, Missed Tackles and Ineffective Tackles were treated as equivalent. Note that defence rankings are in order of highest Defence Score to lowest.

The Overall Score (OS) was then taken as the sum of the Attack and Defence Scores.

For Discipline, I looked at: Minutes Played (MP), Possessions (PO), Handling & Defensive Errors (HDE), Kick Errors (KE), and Penalties (PE). I then took Total Infringements (TI) as the sum of all errors and penalties and the Infringement Rate was calculated as the Total Infringements per 80 minutes, i.e. infringements per equivalent full match. The Error Rate was then calculated as the number of Possessions per Error (P/E) and the involvement rate was calculated as the Possessions per 80 Min (P/80). No overall score was calculated for Discipline but instead these stats were used as general indicators to supplement the Attack/Defence scores. Discipline rankings are in order of most Possessions per Error to least.

All stats were sourced from the Fox Sports Lab.

Results

Apologies for the formatting of the stats. I couldn't figure out how to embed a table. If anyone is interested, you should be able to copy and delimit by space in Excel. If anyone knows how to fix the formatting, let me know and I'll edit the post. The key stats that I ranked the players by in each category are highlighted in bold.

Discipline
MP PO HDE KE PE TI P/80 I/80 P/E
K. Flanagan 725 335 3 0 7 10 36.97 1.10 111.67
N. Cleary 559 473 6 5 1 12 67.69 1.72 43.00
D. Cherry-Evans 710 577 10 4 3 17 65.01 1.92 41.21
M. Pearce 645 558 13 5 3 21 69.21 2.60 31.00
C. Walker 550 293 8 3 7 18 42.62 2.62 26.64
B. Croft 654 387 10 5 2 17 47.34 2.08 25.80
A. Milford 720 278 9 2 5 16 30.89 1.78 25.27
L. Brooks 560 331 10 4 1 15 47.29 2.14 23.64
L. Keary 725 435 15 4 1 20 48.00 2.21 22.89
J. Clifford 560 274 8 5 4 17 39.14 2.43 21.08
A. Taylor 702 401 14 6 4 24 45.70 2.74 20.05

Attack
TA TC TTI LBA FDO 40/20 AS Errors per Attack Score
L. Keary 11 8 23 7 5 0 54 0.35
N. Cleary 5 10 17 4 7 2 45 0.24
M. Pearce 7 4 13 8 4 0 36 0.50
A. Taylor 8 2 11 6 7 1 35 0.57
K. Flanagan 4 5 13 5 4 0 31 0.10
D. Cherry-Evans 4 4 10 8 5 0 31 0.45
C. Walker 7 2 12 5 2 0 28 0.39
J. Clifford 4 1 6 1 8 0 20 0.65
B. Croft 4 4 9 0 2 0 19 0.79
L. Brooks 3 2 7 3 3 0 18 0.78
A. Milford 5 0 6 1 3 0 15 0.73

Defence
TK MT IT TE (%) TC LBC DS
N. Cleary 109 18 12 78 0 0 0
M. Pearce 187 32 8 82 1 2 -4
L. Brooks 148 17 4 88 1 4 -6
L. Keary 130 16 10 83 2 3 -6
J. Clifford 135 20 15 79 3 2 -6
C. Walker 118 12 8 86 3 3 -7
D. Cherry-Evans 137 11 6 89 4 3 -8
A. Taylor 133 26 17 76 5 5 -13
B. Croft 169 15 13 86 6 6 -14
K. Flanagan 219 19 18 86 7 6 -15
A. Milford 81 24 5 74 8 8 -22

Overall
OS
L. Keary 48
N. Cleary 45
M. Pearce 32
D. Cherry-Evans 23
A. Taylor 22
C. Walker 21
K. Flanagan 16
J. Clifford 14
L. Brooks 12
B. Croft 5
A. Milford -7

Discussion
• At first glance, Ash appears to be very poorly disciplined as he scored the lowest Possessions per Error with 20.05. Kyle Flanagan was far and away the best in this category, with a whopping 111.67. The benchmark halves (Cleary, DCE, Pearce, Keary) were generally around 30-45 Possessions per Error, except for Keary who was 22.89.
• In attack, Ash scored very well with an Attack Score of 35, placing him fourth behind Keary (54), Cleary (45), and Pearce (36). Apart from Cleary, Ash was well ahead of his counterparts: Walker (28), Brooks (18), and Milford (15).
• Normalising the Error Rate to the Attack Score better reflects the risk vs. reward of making errors in high risk attacking plays. Ash’s normalised Errors per Attack Score of 0.57 is around the middle of the pack and likely reflects that, while he makes more errors than other halves, his creativity also pays off more frequently. For reference, the most disciplined player, Flanagan, has a normalised Errors per Attack Score of 0.1, demonstrating that his attacking successes come at little discipline cost. The worst offenders in this statistic are Croft (0.79), Brooks (0.78) and Milford (0.73). These high scores demonstrate poor payoff for their attacking risktaking.
• In defence, Ash was towards the bottom of the pack with a Defence Score of -13. The best performer in this category was Cleary with a perfect Defence Score of 0 thanks to his 0 Tries Conceded and Linebreaks Condeded. The other benchmark halves of Pearce, Keary and DCE scored between -4 and -8, so Ash was a fair way off in terms of Defence, but it’s also important to note that he was ahead of Croft (-14), Flanagan (-15) and well ahead of Milford (-22).
• For Overall Score, Luke Keary was the best performer thanks largely to his immense Attack Score. His Defense Score of -6 let him down somewhat compared to Cleary, but he made up for it with his potent attack. Surprisingly, DCE scored quite poorly (23) compared to the other benchmark halves of Keary (48), Cleary (45), and Pearce (32). Ash was only 1 point behind DCE with an Overall Score of 22, ahead of Walker (21) and well ahead of the remaining halves of which none scored higher than 16. Notably poor performers were both Broncos halves with Croft only scoring 5 and Milford scoring a dismal -7.
• The scoring system described above does not account for the intangibles like leadership/organising qualities or effect of the players around the player in question.

Conclusions
Ash’s score of 22 is remarkably good when one considers that his Defence Score is likely significantly affected by the overall team performance. The Titans currently sit second last with 245 points conceded. Only the Cowboys have conceded more points with 253. With upcoming matches against the Storm, Panthers and Roosters, this is unlikely to improve in the short term. Compared to players of equivalent experience / team role (Cleary, Walker, Milford, Brooks), Taylor is second only to Cleary. Milford and Brooks are particularly poor performers, especially given the quality of players around him in Milford’s case. Taylor cops a lot of criticism in the press and from our own fans, but these statistics show that he is actually performing relatively well compared to other halves. If our overall team defence can improve, I expect his Defence and Overall Scores to also improve. I speculate that if Taylor were surrounded by the quality that Cleary is, he would not be far behind.

Titanic
15-07-20, 02:40 PM
Willhelm who Willhelm II ... great dual posts thanks ... a reality check never goes astray when emotion leads logic in a forum like ours.

JunctionBlock
15-07-20, 02:50 PM
Willhelm who Willhelm II ... great dual posts thanks ... a reality check never goes astray when emotion leads logic in a forum like ours.

I just use SuperCoach points to tell me who is doing well.

mdrew
15-07-20, 03:02 PM
Agree, Wilhelm great analysis

willhelm
15-07-20, 03:09 PM
Updated previous post to clarify that the Defense Score was adjusted by dividing by the Tackle Efficiency, e.g. a base score of -10 with a Tackle Efficiency of 100% remains at -10, whereas if the Tackle Efficiency is 75%, it reduces to -13.33 (-10/0.75 = -13.33).

Whats Doing
15-07-20, 05:43 PM
Wilhelm. You have far too much time on your hands

BundyTitan
15-07-20, 05:57 PM
Great analysis Willhelm, think Ash has been a lot better this year but it's probably still the inability to deal with high pressure situations that lets him down. It's not through a lack of effort or desire but rather the opposite of trying too hard which forces mistakes in crucial moments. I love Ash but I do doubt that we win that game on Friday v the Warriors if he was still on in those last 10 minutes

willhelm
15-07-20, 07:04 PM
Wilhelm. You have far too much time on your hands

Day off. I do data analysis for a living so it didn’t take me too long.

Upthetits
15-07-20, 08:08 PM
Day off. I do data analysis for a living so it didn’t take me too long.

I was going to say that would take me about 3 weeks to put together haha

Mexican titan
15-07-20, 08:12 PM
Great analysis Willhelm, think Ash has been a lot better this year but it's probably still the inability to deal with high pressure situations that lets him down. It's not through a lack of effort or desire but rather the opposite of trying too hard which forces mistakes in crucial moments. I love Ash but I do doubt that we win that game on Friday v the Warriors if he was still on in those last 10 minutes

I agree with your comments. Ash has been a little better this year but he is a very average nrl standard half. I've seen enough that I don't believe he will ever make it to top level and he doesn't have the ability or heart to sustain a consistent performance. I'm waiting for the day he is cut or plays Qcup as our back up on a substantially reduced wage. No coincidence we went better last week when he went off. We are wasting our time with him and the quicker we move on the better.
You can present stats as much as you want but I find my eyes to be the best judge. I remember a stat a few years ago where a team that came second last had the best completion rate. They completed but did nothing with the ball.

Numbers
16-07-20, 02:17 AM
Since my last post was a hit and as I have a bit of time on my hands today, I did a bit of a deeper dive on Ash as he cops a lot of criticism, some of which I think is unfair. I've noticed that rugbah leeg fans tend to skew towards pessimism and hone in on the negatives, so hopefully these stats help to make the bigger picture a bit clearer. Namely that Ash is one of the best attacking performers and is far from the worst half overall. Criticism of my scoring methods/analysis is welcome. If mods think this belongs in its own thread, I'm happy to split it out of this match thread.

For Attack, the key stats I looked at were: Try Assists (TA), Try Contributions (TC), Total Try Involvements (TTI), Linebreak Assists (LBA), Forced Dropouts (FDO) and 40/20. An overall Attack Score (AS) was then taken as the sum of each of these key stats

Conclusions
Ash’s score of 22 is remarkably good when one considers that his Defence Score is likely significantly affected by the overall team performance. The Titans currently sit second last with 245 points conceded. Only the Cowboys have conceded more points with 253. With upcoming matches against the Storm, Panthers and Roosters, this is unlikely to improve in the short term. Compared to players of equivalent experience / team role (Cleary, Walker, Milford, Brooks), Taylor is second only to Cleary. Milford and Brooks are particularly poor performers, especially given the quality of players around him in Milford’s case. Taylor cops a lot of criticism in the press and from our own fans, but these statistics show that he is actually performing relatively well compared to other halves. If our overall team defence can improve, I expect his Defence and Overall Scores to also improve. I speculate that if Taylor were surrounded by the quality that Cleary is, he would not be far behind.

G’day Willhelm

Thanks for the detailed and interesting posts.

With your Attack Score though, as:
(1) TTI = TA + TC + tries scored (TS); and
(2) given that for halves (TA + TC) is usually much larger than TS (as your data shows);
(TA + TC) and TTI are very highly correlated and so in effect you have counted the same thing twice. This isn’t necessarily “wrong” - perhaps a TA or TC should be worth twice as much as an LBA, FDO or 40/20 in an attacking metric for a half - but it needs to be understood.

This leads to the more general question of how much weight should any particular stat be given in an overall metric to really capture what you are trying to measure? Check out baseball's "wins above replacement" stat if you haven’t seen it before with regards to the sort of thing that can be done with a decent sized data set.

Thanks again for the posts; the more numbers on the site the better I reckon!

Sunny86
16-07-20, 06:58 AM
The game is now a sell out

Mr Bods
16-07-20, 07:58 AM
Anyone from the forum going ?

DIEHARD
17-07-20, 02:20 AM
STORM v TITANS LeagueUnlimited review
https://leagueunlimited.com/news/34790-storm-v-titans-preview/

DIEHARD
17-07-20, 02:23 AM
Storm v Titans: Munster back; Gold Coast centres reshuffled
http://www.NRL.com

The NRL's newest neighbours will square off, with the Storm welcoming the Titans to their temporary home on the Sunshine Coast.

What would have been a 1700km trip to the Victoria capital is now a 180km bus trip for a Titans side chasing an upset.

Gold Coast displayed impressive perseverance to turn a 12-0 deficit into a 16-12 win over the Warriors last weekend while the Storm did what they do best and ground out another victory.

Storm: Star five-eighth Cameron Munster returns in place of Ryley Jacks. Brandon Smith starts at prop for Jesse Bromwich (knee) and Felise Kaufusi (knee) is back pushing Tino Faasuamaleaui to the bench.

Chris Lewis and Marion Seve replace Darryn Schonig and Nicho Hynes on the interchange. The Storm have won eight of their past nine games against the Titans.

Jacks and Schonig were omitted from the extended squad 24 hours prior to kick-off.

Titans: Brian Kelly (quad) and Phillip Sami (shoulder) return in the centres with Beau Fermor returning to the second row and Bryce Cartwright and Sam Stone out of the side. The Titans are chasing back-to-back wins for the first time since April 2019.

Nathan Peats and Greg Leleisiuao were cut from the reserves 24 hours before kick-off.

Match: Storm v Titans
ROUND 10 - FRIDAY 17TH JULY
Venue:Sunshine Coast Stadium, Sunshine Coast

Key match-up
Anthony Don v Josh Addo-Carr: In a battle of contrasting styles, the leaping ability and power of Don will come up against the blinding speed and elusiveness of Addo-Carr. Don will like his chances at gathering in attacking kicks, while Addo-Carr will be seeking one-on-one opportunities.

Stat Attack
Titans utility player Tyrone Peachey was back to his electric best in the win over the Warriors. He ran for 155m and made 33 tackles in his 54 minutes on the field. The Titans will need more of the same against the Storm.

DIEHARD
17-07-20, 02:25 AM
Holbrook urging Titans to start fast against Storm
Gold Coast Titans coach Justin Holbrook has spoken about the need for his side to overcome their slow starts ahead of the Round 10 match against the Melbourne Storm

Video: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/16/holbrook-urging-titans-to-start-fast-against-storm/

Mr Bods
17-07-20, 01:20 PM
Would a win tonight be our biggest ever upset?

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 01:46 PM
Would a win tonight be our biggest ever upset?

Do you seriously think we stand a chance?

Mr Bods
17-07-20, 01:56 PM
Do you seriously think we stand a chance?

Not really. A very slim chance. We’d have to start well and Melbourne would have to get flustered. That’s why I’m asking for opinions on if we won tonight if it would be our biggest stunner.

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 02:02 PM
I think it would be our biggest upset ever...though I do remember beating Melbourne once down in Melbourne in the Prince/Rogers era. Melbourne are nearly back to full-strength with Munster in the side though, can't see it happening.

Titanic Believer
17-07-20, 02:19 PM
I remember us beating them in a very high scoring game in the past. Too lazy to look up when it was.

willhelm
17-07-20, 02:23 PM
We beat Melbourne in 2017. I remember Koni Hurrell sliding in to catch a bomb and score the winning try. That was our greatest ever upset except for perhaps beating Souths in 2014 before they went on to win the premiership. I remember Kevin Gordon playing that game.

@Numbers cheers mate for the good pickup. I'll update the stats when I get a chance. Not too keen to introduce subjective parameter weighting as it was just a fun little interest project I cooked up in a couple hours, but you make a valid point.

Mr Bods
17-07-20, 02:26 PM
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/gold-coast-titans-upset-melbourne-storm-with-late-penalty-goal-20140406-zqrho.html

Here’s a game where Greg “Hipgrave” Bird kicked a penalty goal on the siren to win a high scoring game.
I remember he gave it to Cronk after the siren.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember a game it was the last one of the season and with a depleted team we beat the Roosters in Sydney.
Dave Taylor scored a try on the siren.
I remember thinking that was a huge boil over at the time.

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 03:29 PM
We beat Melbourne in 2017. I remember Koni Hurrell sliding in to catch a bomb and score the winning try. That was our greatest ever upset except for perhaps beating Souths in 2014 before they went on to win the premiership. I remember Kevin Gordon playing that game.

@Numbers cheers mate for the good pickup. I'll update the stats when I get a chance. Not too keen to introduce subjective parameter weighting as it was just a fun little interest project I cooked up in a couple hours, but you make a valid point.

Haha yeah, I forgot about that one. That was a really fun game.

Dooldog76
17-07-20, 05:58 PM
Let's hope the storm are complacent.

shamus
17-07-20, 06:00 PM
Haha yeah, I forgot about that one. That was a really fun game.

LG put up the kick for Don who padded it back for Koni. Didn’t come any better than that

Hail Sezer
17-07-20, 06:13 PM
Evening boys

willhelm
17-07-20, 06:24 PM
What the hell was Birdgrave doing rushing up there?

Titslover
17-07-20, 06:25 PM
Jeez we started well but errors are just absolutely killing us. Great play from ash before a
to almost set up the try, really poor errors from Kelly and Sami earlier

TitansState
17-07-20, 06:33 PM
Little similar to what happened to fogarty last week lol

Dooldog76
17-07-20, 06:33 PM
Pretty lucky there

willhelm
17-07-20, 06:37 PM
Little similar to what happened to fogarty last week lol

Everyone in the media was acting like the Warriors were hard done by with that call but Hetherington didn’t even ground the ball.

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 06:44 PM
can our forwards please do something?

Mexican titan
17-07-20, 06:45 PM
Everyone in the media was acting like the Warriors were hard done by with that call but Hetherington didn’t even ground the ball.

Yeah we noticed that as well.

Well that try just shows why we need a decent hooker. Dreadful pass straight after scoring, even though Fogarty should have caught it. Then a winger rushes in - a typical Titans period of play.

Errors just killing us.

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 06:46 PM
Hipgrave again

you can't expect Thompson to save that on his own against big Nelson.

Dooldog76
17-07-20, 06:47 PM
Errors......

Whats Doing
17-07-20, 06:49 PM
Hipgrave 2 soft tackles and let’s in 2 tries

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 06:49 PM
**** you Hipgrave

mdrew
17-07-20, 06:54 PM
Simple errors really hurting us

Dooldog76
17-07-20, 06:57 PM
Still looking pretty good. Hope we are not too gassed.

- - - Updated - - -

Taylor is looking sharp

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 07:09 PM
Hipgrave 7 missed tackles. Sitting on 10 points in 40min on SC. Pathetic.

- - - Updated - - -

you know what happens from here.

turned it off

game over

lonegull
17-07-20, 07:10 PM
Pathetic display stupid mistakes and disorganised

Whats Doing
17-07-20, 07:10 PM
Fermor hands are terrible

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 07:15 PM
Fermor hands are terrible

but he's the next big thing, didn't ya hear?

- - - Updated - - -

i lied, I'm still watching.

but fmd, errors errors errors.

lonegull
17-07-20, 07:16 PM
Schoolboy footy control the ball better

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 07:17 PM
what a bludger of a game. We just couldn't keep it together.

TitanPremiership
17-07-20, 07:18 PM
I hate bagging the kid but Tanah has made at least one error a week it is bloody killing me.

gotitans101_
I hate bagging the kid but Tanah has made at least one error a week it is bloody killing me.

doesn't help when he's playing out of position.

lonegull
Shows how much the game means titans players laughing with the storm players kids against men

Whats Doing
Boyd is not a hooker

TitanPremiership
17-07-20, 07:20 PM
In a more positive note Sami has been particularly impressive in defence.

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 07:24 PM
Nice kick Taylor ffs

- - - Updated - - -

Peachey well done

TitansState
17-07-20, 07:25 PM
Drop Peachy for that

Whats Doing
17-07-20, 07:26 PM
Peachey another idiot play. The deliberate penalties this goose gives away is a joke

NZTITAN
17-07-20, 07:28 PM
welp, at least Tino looks great

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 07:31 PM
Can't wait till the likes of Peachey comes off contract.

- - - Updated - - -

Boyd another error.

lonegull
17-07-20, 07:32 PM
Error after error no attack terrible performance

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 07:32 PM
It's true, I think we need both Fifita and Tino to fix this mess.

But a decent hooker first and foremost.

lonegull
17-07-20, 07:33 PM
Training run for the storm bloody disgraceful effort from titans

Whats Doing
17-07-20, 07:36 PM
To be honest we have no go forward and as uch we are getting murdered down the middle. Apart from Mo there is no go forward and we need more than Fifita in our pop gun forward pack

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 07:39 PM
Taylor is ****ing useless

TitansState
17-07-20, 07:40 PM
Big gap between the top teams and us this year. Nearly always a blowout. We have Panthers and Roosters next too. Can't wait.

Mexican titan
17-07-20, 07:44 PM
Error after error no attack terrible performance

Same same every week. Fermor has really come back to the field tonight and as someone said I hate bagging Boyd but he makes clanger mistakes week after week. He has plenty of mates that just shouldn't be repeating the same errors every week.
I would think this is our worst performance of the year, mistake and attack wise,and that's saying something. The defence has saved a smashing.

- - - Updated - - -

Big gap between the top teams and us this year. Nearly always a blowout. We have Panthers and Roosters next too. Can't wait.

I think the gap between the top 10 or so and the next 6 is huge and we are in the bottom 2 or so, well below the 11-14 group.

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 07:44 PM
Same same every week. Fermor has really come back to the field tonight and as someone said I hate bagging Boyd but he makes clanger mistakes week after week. He has plenty of mates that just shouldn't be repeating the same errors every week.
I would think this is our worst performance of the year, mistake and attack wise,and that's saying something. The defence has saved a smashing.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the gap between the top 10 or so and the next 6 is huge and we are in the bottom 2 or so, well below the 11-14 group.

I would love to know what your opinion is of Hipgrave, MT?

Whats Doing
17-07-20, 07:45 PM
Jolliffe just disgraceful in defence on your line

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 07:45 PM
Mo the only bloke trying to tackle big Nelson...says a lot.

jacksonm
17-07-20, 07:46 PM
Spot on ....our bench is offering nothing. Once our starting props go off we struggle. Middle defence could do with Peats, we have too many holes too often

Mexican titan
17-07-20, 07:46 PM
Taylor is ****ing useless

I've said for a few weeks now, that I can't wait for him to go. Personally I would drop him and give Fogarty and Boyd a go in the halves. Taylor just continues to bludge and has a dreadful kicking game.

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 07:47 PM
well we sure lost some fans on the Sunshine Coast tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice pass Hipgrave. Well done.

lonegull
17-07-20, 07:48 PM
Geez our second rowers were strong tonight. NOT

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 07:49 PM
Nah I'm done with Hipgrave. Way too incosistent. Has one or two good games against **** teams and then is nothing more of a liability in most other games. **** him off as far as I'm concerned. He'll never learn.

Mexican titan
17-07-20, 07:52 PM
I would love to know what your opinion is of Hipgrave, MT?

Well, to be honest I was impressed with him last week and I did think he was on the improve. He was getting some credit points back as I couldn't get it out of my mind his double sin binning last year.
Tonight he has been woeful like a few others. I thought after seeing his shoulder injury last week he would miss games and perhaps he should have. However he played so you cop the criticism.
Too many people on here, wrap blokes after one decent run let alone a decent game. The true levels of ability are shown up and not sustained so they should not be at NRL level. Hopefully next year, many will not be.

lonegull
17-07-20, 07:54 PM
What a terrible performance just goes to show how far the top sides are ahead of the rest the titans

jacksonm
17-07-20, 07:55 PM
A couple of errors but Ferm in the 2nd row has done a lot of defence and next to Taylor. The team disorganised tonite Especially left side. Can’t think of too many times we have had the ball to our wingers in general play, so we played a very narrow attack.
I expect Holbrook might make a couple of changes which will show no one is safe.

BundyTitan
17-07-20, 07:55 PM
Really disgusting loss that one. To be flogged by them is one thing, but we were in that game if we didn't make 13 errors. That sort of completion rate is not acceptable in the NRL. Think Holbrook needs to spend this week teaching them how to catch

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 07:56 PM
Well, to be honest I was impressed with him last week and I did think he was on the improve. He was getting some credit points back as I couldn't get it out of my mind his double sin binning last year.
Tonight he has been woeful like a few others. I thought after seeing his shoulder injury last week he would miss games and perhaps he should have. However he played so you cop the criticism.
Too many people on here, wrap blokes after one decent run let alone a decent game. The true levels of ability are shown up and not sustained so they should not be at NRL level. Hopefully next year, many will not be.

Cheers MT.

BundyTitan
17-07-20, 08:02 PM
Posted in the signings thread but will post here again. Hipgrave tonight...

80 minutes.
2 runs.
16 metres.
12 missed tackles.
2 errors.

Absolutely dreadful but he's not alone. Can't think of one player who can really hold their head high tonight, would be shocked if all 17 didn't have at least one error each

Thank god for Tino at least, he's a machine

Dooldog76
I thought we had plenty of effort tonight. We ended up getting gassed through defending all the stupid errors. It's a shame because Melbourne made just as many errors as us. We couldn't capitalise and we were run over by the melbourne forward pack. I thought Taylor looked good tonight and we all know you need the forwards to go forward to let the halves play off it. A bit hard when you are getting spanked in the forwards. It was always going to be a big task. Always next week.

mdrew
I am a Hipgrave supporter but I agree he did not have his best match tonight, but I will bet on him bouncing back in the coming weeks.

Hail Sezer
17-07-20, 08:05 PM
Hipgrave missed 12 tackles and ran for 16 metres.

Passion and enthusiasm are admirable traits but I continue to question whether he is an NRL quality footballer.

Some other shockers tonight too. Poor all round.

Tino the shining light

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 08:05 PM
Posted in the signings thread but will post here again. Hipgrave tonight...

80 minutes.
2 runs.
16 metres.
12 missed tackles.
2 errors.

Absolutely dreadful but he's not alone. Can't think of one player who can really hold their head high tonight, would be shocked if all 17 didn't have at least one error each

Thank god for Tino at least, he's a machine

Might as well have stuck Carty out there.

ozynorts
17-07-20, 08:06 PM
If anyone thought we were a chance tonight you were dreaming. We are miles away from the top teams. I was hoping to see Consistent effort and determination not to be humiliated but unfortunately we gifted the Storm the win.
Hipgrave was obviously playing hurt and Fermor was shown up badly in defence. Peachey was meh, Tanah again made errors and overall we were poor.
Sami was solid defensively and could be a good option going forward.
Mo, as usual was enormous.
I hope Fogarty’s injury isn’t serious, he needs to be given control of the team, Ash needs to shut up and play his role as a Second receiver.

Bayside Titan
17-07-20, 08:07 PM
Pretty angry with that performance. Too many errors. Looked like we lost interest with 5 to go. Pushed too many passes. Also tired of watching our wingers rush up in D on our line and the opposition scores. Don did it once last week and did it again this week. Kelly and Peachey were really poor. I wonder with Hipgrave that he got a head knock which effected him ? He was really off his game tonight?? But errors with dropped ball is really unacceptable at this level. Boyd crowds the play the ball and needs to give room so that he doesn’t rush. He has done it the past few weeks.

Hail Sezer
17-07-20, 08:17 PM
Everyone put on the tigers broncos game to redeem your evening

ozynorts
17-07-20, 08:18 PM

This could be a massacre. Teo was just embarrassing in defence.

JunctionBlock
17-07-20, 08:27 PM
Watched it my parents house. Mum realised washing my mouth out with soap as a kid did little to curb my swearing.

At the end of the day we knew we wouldn’t be able to compete with the big boys this year. We showed we could for 32 odd mins.

Nothing much to like about the game and the next couple of weeks will determine a lot about the commitment of the team to show some pride.

Honourable mention to Anasta for being a dead set ****wit of a commentator.

Re-engage19
17-07-20, 08:27 PM

I feel better already, hope they go on with it��

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 08:28 PM
Watched it my parents house. Mum realised washing my mouth out with soap as a kid did little to curb my swearing.

At the end of the day we knew we wouldn’t be able to compete with the big boys this year. We showed we could for 32 odd mins.

Nothing much to like about the game and the next couple of weeks will determine a lot about the commitment of the team to show some pride.

Anasta didn't commentate our game.

Dooldog76
17-07-20, 08:29 PM

I thought it was Ennis tonight.

Whats Doing
17-07-20, 08:29 PM
We got murdered in the forwards. Melb 1735 metres to Titans 971. Our forwards were powder puff and were like boys against men

Dooldog76
17-07-20, 08:33 PM

Is anyone watching this on fox? So awkward and funny. Awkward because Walters is calling his son play which is dodgy as from foxtel. Funny because kevvy wants the Broncos coaching position and he can barely keep the excitement out of his voice. Gold.

Whats Doing
17-07-20, 08:34 PM
It was Ennis who was so far up Storms **** it was a joke

Dooldog76
17-07-20, 08:37 PM
It was Ennis who was so far up Storms **** it was a joke

Totally, at least he can talk I suppose, unlike anasta.

Whats Doing
17-07-20, 08:42 PM
The Titans need to have a good look at the intensity and commitment of the Tigers. This is what the Titans need to learn for 80 minutes if they want to be. top 8 side. I am enjoying seeing the Broncos being destroyed

willhelm
17-07-20, 08:44 PM
This Broncos game is making me feel much better

Dooldog76
17-07-20, 08:50 PM
On the bright side, we beat both these sides.

ozynorts
17-07-20, 09:00 PM
Ah love seeing the “glamor” club getting embarrassed. Hey Fifita, here is the team you are willing to sacrifice your families future on, showing just how good they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Mexican titan
17-07-20, 09:04 PM
This Broncos game is making me feel much better

Much better.
Anyone who hasn't seen the Broncos short goal line dropout and what became of it should try and watch it. Outrageously funny. Moment of the season for me.

willhelm
17-07-20, 09:05 PM
Much better.
Anyone who hasn't seen the Broncos short goal line dropout and what became of it should try and watch it. Outrageously funny. Moment of the season for me.

Yep I was laughing my ass off

Titanic Believer
17-07-20, 09:14 PM
You're all masochists watching our games. A quick look at the score from time to time lets me know all I need to know after so many years of the same old stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

The question that needs to be asked is whether getting two young players like Timo and Fifita would fix the basics missing in our team or will we just be another Broncos. Talented but missing leadership and motivation.

Nols of the Goldy
17-07-20, 09:14 PM
The Broncos being destroyed is making me feel much better. The news gets even better though as the Donkeys play the Storm next week :laugh:

Mr Bods
17-07-20, 09:47 PM
‪I saw both the Melbourne players and coaching box laughing at us tonight. That will stay with me for a very long time. It’s upsetting as someone that loves the club. It should upset our players and coaching staff too. ‬

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 09:58 PM
‪I saw both the Melbourne players and coaching box laughing at us tonight. That will stay with me for a very long time. It’s upsetting as someone that loves the club. It should upset our players and coaching staff too. ‬

Yeah I saw Ryley Jacks having a laugh up there.

mdrew
17-07-20, 09:59 PM
My only focus is the Titans, full stop. Sorry all

willhelm
17-07-20, 10:00 PM

How do you know that the laughing was directed at us? Maybe Bellyache let one rip.

TITAN PETE
17-07-20, 10:00 PM
Best part of tonight’s game was knowing the Donkeys were on right after us

48-0

gotitans101_
17-07-20, 10:01 PM

same, Broncos getting flogged is nice and all but I'm much more worried about our team tbh.

Hail Sezer
17-07-20, 10:09 PM
same, Broncos getting flogged is nice and all but I'm much more worried about our team tbh.

I think we all are

Doesn’t make the broncos loss less enjoyable

Bayside Titan
17-07-20, 10:17 PM

Yep same mate.

Mr Bods
17-07-20, 10:20 PM
I want to revel in the Drongoes misery but I can’t because our blokes have to spoil it by being utter rubbish tonight too

Titanic
18-07-20, 01:02 AM
Due to work stuff I won't see the game until later tonight. I know i'm going to have to steel myself for the inevitable nightmares and have left instructions for all sharp objects to be hidden but WTF that's what being a Titans supporter means.

DIEHARD
18-07-20, 01:09 AM
That was frustrating to watch. But I stuck in there. Much more competitive in the first half. Most of our players not NRL standard tonight.

DIEHARD
18-07-20, 01:15 AM
Post match press conference
https://www.titans.com.au/news/2020/07/17/post-match-press-conference/

DIEHARD
18-07-20, 01:15 AM
STORM v TITANS highlights
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xD9vrjYGu0Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bayside Titan
18-07-20, 08:53 AM
A few points for me is that as soon as NAS and Tino came on it was a complete moment and energy swing to the Storm. Having those two big mobile bodies hurt is big time. NAS and Tino only did what they would normally do and and line up and run at the smallest players and close to the line any small player is cannon fodder. This point shows what we lack and what we need to improve on which will be next year when Tino gets here.

The other point is I feel that we need a large outside back or strike back.

willhelm
18-07-20, 09:30 AM
A few points for me is that as soon as NAS and Tino came on it was a complete moment and energy swing to the Storm. Having those two big mobile bodies hurt is big time. NAS and Tino only did what they would normally do and and line up and run at the smallest players and close to the line any small player is cannon fodder. This point shows what we lack and what we need to improve on which will be next year when Tino gets here.

The other point is I feel that we need a large outside back or strike back.

Yep 100% correct. Smith just tore us apart with those short balls at the line.

I wanted Oates for that big body winger but looks like his career may be over with that compound fracture he picked up last night...

Hail Sezer
18-07-20, 09:33 AM
Pretty angry with that performance. Too many errors. Looked like we lost interest with 5 to go. Pushed too many passes. Also tired of watching our wingers rush up in D on our line and the opposition scores. Don did it once last week and did it again this week. Kelly and Peachey were really poor. I wonder with Hipgrave that he got a head knock which effected him ? He was really off his game tonight?? But errors with dropped ball is really unacceptable at this level. Boyd crowds the play the ball and needs to give room so that he doesn’t rush. He has done it the past few weeks.

Don rushing in was actually the correct thing to to in the defensive system - he’s just reacting to what the centre is doing. That instance was terrible defensive cohesion from Sami & co inside him.

All in all we got smashed by a really good football team and taught a lesson on how far away we are. Next week against Penrith could be a tough watch with Kikau opposite Hipgrave. Can’t believe I’m saying this but is Proctor any chance of returning?

Numbers
18-07-20, 11:37 AM
It’s not unusual to hear NFL commentators use the phrase “short field” when referencing the situation where a team turns over the ball giving good field position to their opponents - emphasising the fact that the team with the ball now only has to make short yardage to register points.

While I didn’t think we were much of a chance of causing the upset last night, we gave the Storm way too many short fields to have any chance of being competitive. Of the Storm’s seven tries, the first five were all from short fields:
- Kelly lost ball 21m out;
- Fogarty dropped pass 19m out;
- Fermor lost ball 43m out;
- Fermor stripped 45m out; and
- Boyd lost ball 49m out.
The first three were scored on the set after the turnover, the last two had one repeat set (didn’t clean up a kick on last, conceded a penalty).

Mr Bods
18-07-20, 11:39 AM
It’s not unusual to hear NFL commentators use the phrase “short field” when referencing the situation where a team turns over the ball giving good field position to their opponents - emphasising the fact that the team with the ball now only has to make short yardage to register points.

While I didn’t think we were much of a chance of causing the upset last night, we gave the Storm way too many short fields to have any chance of being competitive. Of the Storm’s seven tries, the first five were all from short fields:
- Kelly lost ball 21m out;
- Fogarty dropped pass 19m out;
- Fermor lost ball 43m out;
- Fermor stripped 45m out; and
- Boyd lost ball 49m out.
The first three were scored on the set after the turnover, the last two had one repeat set (didn’t clean up a kick on last, conceded a penalty).

Exactly right Numbers.
I call that not getting into the arm wrestle and not respecting possession of the ball. If we can’t do that then we will lose by quite a margin against all comers.

Upthetits
18-07-20, 12:11 PM
To be honest the first 25mins I thought wow we deadset came to play.

Then we just lost the ball so many times it was a joke. Im certain the storm were actively trying to strip the ball all the time in the hope that after 3 or 4 penalties against them the ref would start to say we were just losing it.

Frustrating night but there was glimmers of what the future could hold in those first 20 mins

Dooldog76
18-07-20, 12:37 PM
It was interesting to see the reaction in the pressers from seibold and Holbrook last night. Holbrook's outlook was a lesson learned and he also called out Taylor for kicking it dead twice. I also loved his response to " where to now?" And he immediately replied "to beat Penrith." Loved it.
Seibold on the other hand looked completely broken and had no real response to the situation they were in.
Guess I'm trying to say that I rate Holbrook a lot and I'm confident the boys will improve next week. It's a process lads.

GCTTSD
18-07-20, 01:06 PM
It's just so frustrating that it's our own silly errors in our own half that's killing us. I do rate Holbrook as a coach though and you can see were slowly improving but it much you can really do straight away till we get rid of some of the dead wood. We really need some big outside backs, we are terrible becoming out of our own end and if it's a coaching plan to shift the ball side to side all the time coming out of our own end I think it needs to stop or we'll just keep dropping the ball and getting. Flogged, that's the one thing I don't like that Holbrook seems to have done with the tactics

JunctionBlock
18-07-20, 02:59 PM
Yep 100% correct. Smith just tore us apart with those short balls at the line.

I wanted Oates for that big body winger but looks like his career may be over with that compound fracture he picked up last night...

Looks like Oates has been cleared of a fractured femur. It was a large bruise and deep laceration. Should be back in three weeks. So thankfully his career isn’t over.

Whats Doing
18-07-20, 03:10 PM
I do rate Holbrook but we are going sideways far too much before we go forward. Also I would like Holbrook concentrate on developing a harder edge in our team. We just don’t win any of the collisions which is why we are getting murdered in the middle. Madge has continued to change the mindset of the Tigers which overall is a fairly average team but their intensity and dominating the ruck and collisions against the Drongoes is something I wish Holbrook concentrated on rather than looking pretty moving the ball sideways which is not getting us anywhere

NZFan
20-07-20, 02:26 PM
I do rate Holbrook but we are going sideways far too much before we go forward. Also I would like Holbrook concentrate on developing a harder edge in our team. We just don’t win any of the collisions which is why we are getting murdered in the middle. Madge has continued to change the mindset of the Tigers which overall is a fairly average team but their intensity and dominating the ruck and collisions against the Drongoes is something I wish Holbrook concentrated on rather than looking pretty moving the ball sideways which is not getting us anywhere

I tend to agree with this post WD. I like the way that Holbrook handles himself and he has shown that he is prepared to back up his talk with tough changes but I feel like we play far too deep and wide and don’t attack the middle enough. Its the Same style that Brennan tried to implement and it didn’t work. I don’t know whether it is a relic of his coaching or something that Holbrook is also trying to implement

elltee
21-07-20, 12:13 PM
I think Holbrook has identified we lack the punch needed to get over the gain line in the middle with our current forwards and has tried to build a plan to go around than through. It seems to work, we do gain those extra meters on the fringes. Hopefully when we add some strike forwards it will straighten them up in the years to come.