PDA

View Full Version : Round 3: TITANS vs COWBOYS (2020)

DIEHARD
17-05-20, 08:57 PM
TITANS vs COWBOYS

DIEHARD
17-05-20, 09:03 PM
We are nearly back in business.

6pm, Friday 29 May 2020.

Mr Bods
17-05-20, 09:11 PM
Right I only got to say this once last year.
I hope it’s not repeated this year.
At 0W and 2L this match is a must win to be a top 8 contender

MINI GF

Toads
17-05-20, 11:57 PM
Might be in with a shot here with Morgan out. Though I'd imagine the Cowboys will want to step it up after the Donkey's ruined their chance of a win at the inaugural game at their new stadium.

JunctionBlock
18-05-20, 08:48 AM
I’m working nights now with the split shifts to allow for business continuity and distancing so I hope the company is fully aware that I’ll be streaming this on Kayo and Friday will be a write off as far as productivity goes.

JunctionBlock
20-05-20, 04:50 PM
halfback Ash Taylor at five-eighth
Travis Meyn, The Courier-Mail
May 20, 2020 4:05pm
Subscriber only

Gold Coast halfback Ash Taylor is set for a shock move to five-eighth as Titans coach Justin Holbrook searches for a way to ignite the club’s million-dollar man.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Holbrook is weighing up moving Taylor into the Gold Coast’s No.6 jersey after elevating Intrust Super Cup gun Jamal Fogarty to the NRL.

Fogarty will partner Taylor in the halves when the Titans resume their 2020 campaign against North Queensland in Townsville next Friday night, with regular five-eighth Tyrone Roberts shifting to fullback.

Taylor, 25, has made all 82 of his NRL appearances at halfback and was a gun No.7 as a junior, even making his debut for the Broncos in the key position in 2015.

But he has struggled over the past few seasons under the pressure of being halfback and the Titans’ highest paid player, prompting Holbrook to contemplate making what could be a career-defining move for Taylor.

Holbrook confirmed Taylor could be wearing the No.6 against the Cowboys at Queensland Country Bank Stadium on Friday week.

“Yeah, definitely, that could free him up,” Holbrook said. “The No.6s tend to touch the ball once or twice in a set of six.

“We all know how skilful a player Ash is. If we can get him in that type of role without having to run the team as well, he can just worry about playing. It might make his job a bit easier.

“Whether Ash is seven or six, we’ll get him to play the same way. In terms of how we’re going to play, I don’t think it matters. I haven’t really locked that in. We’ve just been training.”

The eight-week shutdown for the COVID-19 season suspension and confirmation gun fullback AJ Brimson (fractured back) will miss at least another two months has given Holbrook an opportunity to prepare with a new-look team.

Tyrone Peachey and Dale Copley will be the Titans’ new centre pairing in place of Kallum Watkins and Brian Kelly, while Keegan Hipgrave will replace Bryce Cartwright in the back row.

The elevation of Fogarty, who made two NRL appearances for the Titans in 2017, will see Roberts replace Phillip Sami at fullback.

Fogarty, 26, has starred in the Intrust Super Cup for Burleigh over the past few years and Holbrook said he had been impressed by the tenacious playmaker.

“He is a good organising halfback with plenty of experience,” he said. “I wanted to slot him in and see how he goes.

“We’ve got a few options there and he’s one of them. He is a good player.

“Tyrone’s an extra half that has played fullback before. He understands the game really well.

“Without AJ, we’ve upskilled Phil Sami, who’s done a good job but it’s not completely natural to him.

“With Tyrone as an option there, he understands the game, defensive numbers and has the skilful attack of a half with his passing game. There are a lot of strong points for Tyrone there.”

The Titans have gone from originally having a horror draw to start the season to now facing the Cowboys and Wests Tigers (at Suncorp Stadium) over the next fortnight as they search for their first win of the year.

ozynorts
20-05-20, 05:21 PM
Well that is good news. I have wanted that to happen for a while now, he seems to play more like a second receiver, especially close to the line.
Not convinced by Roberts at Fb though but it has been a problem position for us for a long time. Time to develop some real depth there.

GCTTSD
20-05-20, 07:03 PM
I like the fact that Holbrook is changing things up and can clearly see what's not working and giving Fogarty a chance, this is something we didn't really see with Garth

Mexican titan
20-05-20, 07:12 PM
I like the fact that Holbrook is changing things up and can clearly see what's not working and giving Fogarty a chance, this is something we didn't really see with Garth

I agree. It is almost Taylor's last chance as well. The first two rounds put paid to the off season BS talk. Time to perform or out, regardless of what he is being paid.

Titslover
20-05-20, 07:39 PM
Is Kelly getting dropped because of the whole drama? I really don't like the sound of Copley starting in the centres

GCTTSD
20-05-20, 07:49 PM
I agree. It is almost Taylor's last chance as well. The first two rounds put paid to the off season BS talk. Time to perform or out, regardless of what he is being paid.

Yea I really hope for the whole clubs sake that Fogarty can really kick on and become that solid organising half that we havent had for a long time and really put pressure on ash and Tyrone

Mr Bods
20-05-20, 07:51 PM
Holbrook is being the boss.

Upthetits
20-05-20, 07:57 PM
Really like what Holbrook is doing. I feel ash will be better with someone else taking that organising pressure/spot light off him. I really hope fogarty gets an extended run to find his feet if he doesn't hit the ground running. We have nothing to lose.

Croc
20-05-20, 08:42 PM
Yeh like the sounds of the halves changing! Don’t like Copley In the centres, he rarely gets through a game! Why not chuck GL or spry (apparently) the next Latrell.. kelly is our only centre who can break a tackle! Peachy has already proven a horrible centre!

Titanic
21-05-20, 04:01 PM
I feel Holbrook will deal with it issue by issue ... half’s first etc etc ... happy enough with that rather than wholesale changes. It’s a work in progress and we have issues right across the squad.

JunctionBlock
21-05-20, 04:12 PM
Is Kelly getting dropped because of the whole drama? I really don't like the sound of Copley starting in the centres

I would prefer him on the field TBH. Roberts no where near it but I guess Ash needs his security blanket. Last time we threw three halfs out there they all stepped on each others toes trying to out do each other.

NZFan
21-05-20, 07:09 PM
I would prefer him on the field TBH. Roberts no where near it but I guess Ash needs his security blanket. Last time we threw three halfs out there they all stepped on each others toes trying to out do each other.

Yip it was an absolute disaster. Roberts woeful defence was amplified at fullback as well. Man other teams must be rubbing their hands together knowing that as soon as they break the line it all but guarantees a try.

It's great that Fogarty is getting a run but why not just remove Taylors hand break all together.

DIEHARD
22-05-20, 01:08 AM
Michael Morgan locked of stadium; coaches push second-tier competition
https://www.couriermail.com.au/

Cowboys capatin Michael Morgan will be forced to watch his team’s round three derby from the couch, NRL coaches push for a second-tier competition and Titans’ new ‘Alfie’ - it’s all in BLINDSIDE.

He is North Queensland’s skipper but injured captain Michael Morgan faces being locked out of the Cowboys’ new stadium for their season relaunch against the Titans next Friday night.

Morgan will miss the round three clash after recently undergoing shoulder surgery but was at least hoping to support his teammates by joining Paul Green in the coaching box at Queensland Country Bank Stadium.

But the NRL’s strict COVID-19 guidelines around game-day staffing and attendance could result in captain “Morgo” being relegated to his lounge room for the NRL’s Project Apollo kick-off on May 28.

Under the crowd-lockout rules, each NRL club can have 20 players and 12 club-related staff in attendance on game day, with Morgan set to be squeezed out.

“There’s only a certain amount of people can go there so I think I’ll be watching our game on TV,” Morgan told Blindside.

“I only just got told so it stung me a bit. I was hoping to be there supporting the boys but it looks like I’m locked out.

“The Cowboys can name a certain amount of players and only have a certain amount of staff inside the venue.

“I assumed I would be allowed to go because I have been training with the team every day, but because I’m not playing, I can’t be there which is disappointing.”

Dooldog76
22-05-20, 07:24 PM
Roberts is not fit enough to be fullback. Full stop.

Menoitios
24-05-20, 10:46 AM
TR's dodgy achilles tendon will be put under more pressure at fullback.

Overall...our defence has been awful this year...and the covid break will have done us no favours in this department. I was hoping Dymock could have quickly instilled some grit and determination into the squad for this season.

Instead...in 2 games we lead the comp in conceded line breaks with 15, missed the most tackles - 80, and conceded the most offloads - 29. We have the worst completion rate - 64% and we are also in front on penalties conceded with 21. All this will most likely rise with the new "6 again rule".

As far as errors go...we sit on 25, which is less than the storm, eels, roosters, raiders, sharks, sea eagles and bulldogs...but their defence is better.

Until our defensive attitude and discipline improves...wins will be few and far between.

Mr Bods
24-05-20, 12:10 PM
What’s our travel arrangements for this MINI GF?

psmitty
25-05-20, 04:48 PM
It’ll be 356 days since the Titans’ last NRL win. Here's how they aim to stop it becoming a full year

May 25, 2020 1:19pm
by GEORGE CLARKE
Source: FOX SPORTS

Get ready for the return of the 2020 season by joining Ben Ikin and Paul Kent as they discuss the game’s big issues on Fox League’s NRL360 Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights at 6.30pm.

When the Titans take the field to face the Cowboys on Friday night, it will be 356 days since they won an NRL game.

With North Queensland priced at $1.30 on home soil, the bookmakers are expecting the Titans’ winless run to stretch out to a close to a full year.

Since 1998, only Manly and Souths have had longer spells between wins, although that reflects the time the former merged with Norths and the latter was out of the competition.

The Gold Coast haven’t won since a gritty 6-4 victory over Brisbane at CBUS on June 9 last year – 13 games.

Only Wests (Round 15, 1998 – Round 5, 1999, 14 straight losses) and Newcastle (Round 7, 2016 – Round 1, 2017, 19 straight losses) have longer stretches without a win since the Super League war.

Winless to start the season with losses against Canberra and Parramatta, the bleak outlook is compounded by the fact the Titans scored just 12 points across those opening two games.

Lock Jai Arrow, however, says it’s the furthest thing from the squad’s mind as they prepare to travel to Townsville this Friday.

“It’s not something we’ve spoken about [and] we won’t dwell on it, we have to do our job as a team and focus on playing footy,” Arrow said on Monday.

“Hopefully if we are doing that, then the rest takes care of itself.

“We all want to win, we all love winning, but it just hasn’t gone our way of late.

“We’ll just stick to our jobs and hopefully it comes off the back of that.”

The Cowboys, like the Titans, are looking to have a better year than in 2019 having missed out on the top eight.

They finished Round 2 with a bang, with Arrow’s opposite number Jason Taumalolo putting on a clinic against the Bulldogs.

The Tongan international ran for a record 318m against the Dogs, and Arrow is aware that stopping the dynamic forward is key to any hopes the Titans have of ending their win drought.

“I don’t think anyone has worked that [a way to stop Taumalolo] out,” said Arrow.

“I think he’s the best middle in the game and has been for a number of years, he’s someone we’re going have to get numbers in and control because he can score 40-metre tries.

“I think they’re a big forward pack, [but] fatigue in the middle can get to them.

“If you can get a quick play the ball [you can] get the big boys turning their backs and making them come out from their own end.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/titans/nrl-2020-gold-coast-titans-v-north-queensland-cowboys-jai-arrow-jason-taumalolo-worst-records-nrl/news-story/96936742aa9155451979207708c5a347

Croc
25-05-20, 05:22 PM
A gritty 6-4 win over the broncos? Does this guy even do his research before writing articles.. it was 26-18 win to the titans at suncorp last year on that date.. I was there to enjoy it..

Titslover
26-05-20, 11:58 AM
Why are they writing an article about it almost being a year when the 9th of June is almost 2 weeks away, they could’ve waited another 2 rounds and if we win this week it’s totally irrelevant. Just typical media giving us **** as usual

Titslover
26-05-20, 04:10 PM
1. Tyrone Roberts 2. Anthony Don 3. Dale Copley 4. Tyrone Peachey 5. Phillip Sami 6. Ashley Taylor 7. Jamal Fogarty 8. Moeaki Fotuaika 9. Nathan Peats 10. Sam Lisone 11. Kevin Proctor 12. Keegan Hipgrave 13. Jai Arrow 14. Erin Clark 15. Jai Whitbread 16. Jarrod Wallace 17. Shannon Boyd 18. Bryce Cartwright 19. Mitch Rein 20. Brian Kelly 21. Jonus Pearson

I'm pretty disappointed that Kelly isn't in the team, but I like that hes punished him and Cartwright, and dropped Rein and put Wallace back to the bench for poor games against the Eels. It should really put the team on notice that no ones spot is safe, and hopefully will lift the standards. I'm also keen to see what Clark can do.

JunctionBlock
26-05-20, 04:15 PM
https://i.imgur.com/DlrtZRn.jpg

Hail Sezer
26-05-20, 04:19 PM
Stoked for Jamal. I really hope he goes well.

JunctionBlock
26-05-20, 04:22 PM
And a shame for Jolliffe.

Interesting to see what the reshuffle will be when Boyd and Copley get injured.

ozynorts
26-05-20, 04:41 PM
Really happy to see some changes in the team. Not happy with Roberts at Fb but we are very thin there.
Hope that Fogarty plays well and locks up the 7.
Hope that the forward pack plays well enough to keep Cartwright out of the 17 altogether. I really like the look of the starting props and it will be interesting to see how Boyd and Wallace go off the bench.
Clark in the 14, love that too.
I think the break has given Holbrook time to assess the team and he is starting to make a few changes. I know some have been forced by injury but I like what he has done to cover that with the exception of fullback. We need to make a play for the Bronco's kid.

Croc
26-05-20, 05:00 PM
Pretty happy with the team apart from Copley in and not kelly.. good to see Clarke and fogs in! Hopefully Clarke makes hooker his own! Can’t wait to see how they go!

NZTITAN
26-05-20, 05:29 PM
Keegan Hipgrave :drool:

Thing I love most about this team list is Holbrook wielding the axe.

Not every Q-Cup player gets a second chance in the NRL, happy for Fogarty, intrigued to see Ash at 6 and I think Erin Clark will do a fine job off the bench.

Dooldog76
26-05-20, 05:53 PM
I like this a lot. Surprised at rein missing out and I don't agree with Roberts at fullback but at least he is mixing things up a bit. My major concern are the plodders on the bench. They will need to rip in.

Mr Bods
26-05-20, 06:48 PM
We need a Mini GF Effort from this squad.
If we are 1W and 2L there is some hope about
If we are 0W and 3L then it’s all about development and getting rid of dead wood.

Huge game for our Club.

lonegull
27-05-20, 08:12 PM
How in the world do we get Henry Perenara as a ref, this game will be a laugh with him controlling proceedings he couldn’t handle the game with two refs on the field he is a joke of a ref

Croc
28-05-20, 05:54 AM
How in the world do we get Henry Perenara as a ref, this game will be a laugh with him controlling proceedings he couldn’t handle the game with two refs on the field he is a joke of a ref

Could be worse, could have badger who penalizes us for being on the ground at the same time as him

Mr Bods
28-05-20, 06:39 AM
Could be worse, could have badger who penalizes us for being on the ground at the same time as him

“Could be worse...”, never gives me comfort.

Hail Sezer
28-05-20, 10:01 AM
Meyn on Twitter has said injury will see Don out, Pearson in.

Croc
28-05-20, 11:56 AM
Meyn on Twitter has said injury will see Don out, Pearson in.

Happy with that replacement! He looked good in the trials!

Hail Sezer
28-05-20, 12:01 PM
Tyrone Roberts also out, Sami to FB and Kelly to wing (hopefully swaps with Copley).

dammit Greg Condon

willhelm
28-05-20, 12:24 PM
Happy to see Pearson get a run.

What happened to Tyrone? Surely Kelly goes to center and Copley to wing if he’s out.

Titanic
28-05-20, 12:31 PM
Team looks a whole lot better like that 0-40 just went to 0-20

lonegull
28-05-20, 12:48 PM
stronger team I think than that first listed, also happy for pearson get an opportunity, played well in the nines and trials

willhelm
28-05-20, 01:05 PM
I know Peats has been getting a lot of hate here for a while now but I've always been a supporter and am glad to see him back as the #1 hooker. He's such a defensive rock, he's just the type of player we need right now. I think the issues with him last year were more related to Garth's game plan and Ash's inability to lead the team than to Peats' ability. Hope he gets an extended run and gets back to his best. Clark looked sharp in the trials so hopefully he gives us that much needed punch off the bench.

Mexican titan
28-05-20, 01:13 PM
I know Peats has been getting a lot of hate here for a while now but I've always been a supporter and am glad to see him back as the #1 hooker. He's such a defensive rock, he's just the type of player we need right now.

Since he has been here he has gone from Origin standard to well in to the bottom half of hookers. We, me included, spend a lot of time comparing Rein and Peats, but I've come to the conclusion that both are not much good.

willhelm
28-05-20, 01:18 PM
Since he has been here he has gone from Origin standard to well in to the bottom half of hookers. We, me included, spend a lot of time comparing Rein and Peats, but I've come to the conclusion that both are not much good.

I simply disagree. He was with us before he was selected for Origin. Then Garth came along.

NZTITAN
28-05-20, 01:38 PM
so its??

1. Sami
2. Pearson
3. Peachey
4. Kelly
5. Copley

Honestly, like it a lot, enough strike there, pretty good, would've liked to see Tonumaipea in there somewhere.

Happy to see Pearson get a go, I like the Don but I think he's cooked.

willhelm
28-05-20, 01:45 PM
so its??

1. Sami
2. Pearson
3. Peachey
4. Kelly
5. Copley

Honestly, like it a lot, enough strike there, pretty good, would've liked to see Tonumaipea in there somewhere.

Happy to see Pearson get a go, I like the Don but I think he's cooked.

Yep, agreed. I like it too. I think Kelly and Copley will revert to their normal positions though.

Mr Bods
28-05-20, 01:53 PM
What has occurred here with Brimson and now Don and TRoberts.
I always said the Catterick trio was our only good year in history for making players ready to go.

Under Condon the recovery took too long

And now a new problem, players ready to play and then being ruled out.

- - - Updated - - -

Tyrone Roberts also out, Sami to FB and Kelly to wing (hopefully swaps with Copley).

dammit Greg Condon

Wouldn’t you rather discuss these issues rather than have a crack at me.
I’ve always been respectful to you.

JunctionBlock
28-05-20, 01:59 PM
That’s a hugely improved team. Just need Jolliffe in for Boyd or Wallace and good to go.

Can we get Michael Gordon back?

willhelm
28-05-20, 02:00 PM
I always said the Catterick trio was our only good year in history for making players ready to go.

- - - Updated - - -

I read that as a bit of friendly ribbing, Bods. I've made Condon jokes at your expense too but it has always been intended as banter.

Hail Sezer
28-05-20, 02:10 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Not a crack at all Bodsy, just some banter :)

Apologies if it came across like that - I'd never intend for it to come across as disrespectful and I always value your contributions on here mate.

Mexican titan
28-05-20, 02:34 PM
I simply disagree. He was with us before he was selected for Origin. Then Garth came along.

All good mate and I hope you prove me wrong.
Garth certainly was a factor but there are some pretty simple things that a decent dummy half has to do, crap coach or not. A few darts from dummy half, crisp passes to supports without two or three pressure relieving clangers a game is what any decent hooker does. Peats best efforts in the last few years have been on social media.
At least this week he doesn't need to feel that Rein is breathing down his neck and he can just take control.

Mr Bods
28-05-20, 02:45 PM
Not a crack at all Bodsy, just some banter :)

Apologies if it came across like that - I'd never intend for it to come across as disrespectful and I always value your contributions on here mate.

Ok fair enough HS. I apologise for overreacting and being a bit sensitive.
Moving on now.

willhelm
28-05-20, 02:46 PM
All good mate and I hope you prove me wrong.
Garth certainly was a factor but there are some pretty simple things that a decent dummy half has to do, crap coach or not. A few darts from dummy half, crisp passes to supports without two or three pressure relieving clangers a game is what any decent hooker does. Peats best efforts in the last few years have been on social media.
At least this week he doesn't need to feel that Rein is breathing down his neck and he can just take control.

Admittedly Peats has never been the quick dart out of dummy half type. That’s probably his biggest weakness compared to Koroisau or Cook. His passing used to be top notch though. I remember back when he was playing Origin he was looping them out in front, right onto the chest. It was beautiful. I don’t know how an experienced player regresses from that though. It’s not like passing is affected by age-related physical deterioration.

Mr Bods
28-05-20, 02:50 PM
I read that as a bit of friendly ribbing, Bods. I've made Condon jokes at your expense too but it has always been intended as banter.

Thanks Wilhelm. Fair enough. I’ll read it in a different light in future.

- - - Updated - - -

Admittedly Peats has never been the quick dart out of dummy half type. That’s probably his biggest weakness compared to Koroisau or Cook. His passing used to be top notch though. I remember back when he was playing Origin he was looping them out in front, right onto the chest. It was beautiful. I don’t know how an experienced player regresses from that though. It’s not like passing is affected by age-related physical deterioration.

Peats needs to be an 80min hooker and we need to have a genuine utility on the bench in either Peachey, TRoberts, EClark or TBoyd.
Not Rein. Peats with reduced interchange in future too could be very valuable.

willhelm
28-05-20, 03:03 PM
Thanks Wilhelm. Fair enough. I’ll read it in a different light in future.

- - - Updated - - -

Peats needs to be an 80min hooker and we need to have a genuine utility on the bench in either Peachey, TRoberts, EClark or TBoyd.
Not Rein. Peats with reduced interchange in future too could be very valuable.

Yes, in an ideal world Peats would be an 80 min hooker and we could have a utility forward, but having Peats 60 mins with a 20 min hooker/half utility isn't the end of the world.

Rein is done with us as far as I'm concerned. He had his shot in rounds 1-2 and blew it. For me, Rein, Taylor, Cartwright, Peachey all have to go at end of 2021 when their contracts are up, preferably earlier if we can find a buyer. Tyrone Roberts end of this year. Can't believe we're stuck with Boyd and Wallace until end of 2022.

Titslover
28-05-20, 03:07 PM
Before the Eels game I thought Rein offered way more than Peats, he’s actually quite quick which gives us a Cook style hooker, and I remember last year him doing some lovely passes close to the line where they would look like its going to a forward but would loop and hit the halfback out the back. He deserved to be dropped after those shocking errors, but I think it will take a while to workout who our permanent 9 iis

willhelm
28-05-20, 03:13 PM
Rein only looks like a Cook style hooker when he plays 20-30 mins. When he has to play longer, he really struggles with the fatigue and makes the most boneheaded plays. I think the main difference between Cook and Rein is about 30 IQ points.

JunctionBlock
28-05-20, 04:08 PM
Just a reminder while we talk about hookers. Rein was signed till the end of 2021 and Peats the end of this year.

Plus as for Peats being worse off at the Titans as opposed to the Eels, its hard to soar like and eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys.

willhelm
28-05-20, 04:16 PM
I wonder if Matt Parcell wants to come home...

Mr Bods
28-05-20, 04:40 PM
I wonder if Matt Parcell wants to come home...

Do you know where he specifically grew up??

ozynorts
28-05-20, 04:43 PM
The sections in bold are very interesting........

Coach Justin Holbrook spoke with the media this morning to preview tomorrow night’s fixture.
1. Excitement is building
“Yeah it’s great,” Holbrook said. “It’s exciting for everyone involved in the game and the fans as well. Peter V’landys has done a great job, and it’s fantastic to know that I can head home from training today and footy will be back on the TV tonight.”

Cowboys v Titans - Round 3

Cowboys v Titans - Round 3
2. Jamal the general
“It’s fantastic,” Holbrook said of the NRL return of halfback Jamal Fogarty. “Obviously I watched him guide Burleigh last year, and he played well in the trial against us as well. I suppose for us as a team we’re probably lacking that real general as the natural halfback. That’s why we’ve brought him in. He’s exactly what we need. He’s one of those guys who works hard on his game. As a coach, it’s a rewarding story. He’ll slot in nicely.”
3. Middle forward rotation about balance
“I think it’s different for the middles and being a bench player,” Holbrook said. “For me, we haven’t started well. We haven’t had Moe (Fotuaika) fit, and I’ve spoken many times before about getting the balance right for our side. Wal (Jarrod Wallace) will get the same amount of minutes and, being a middle, not a lot will change for him. When you’re in the forwards you obviously want to run out with the team, but it’s just what is happening for the balance of our side.”
4. Taylor the six
“I just think it’ll suit him,” Holbrook said of Ash Taylor’s move to five-eighth. “We’ve had him as the organiser, and it hasn’t worked. In the time off, I had a long think about every individual in our side and had to work out how we can get the best out of everyone. I think with Jamal being such an organiser, it makes it easier for Ash to just play the standard five-eighth role. He can touch the ball less, but he needs to make sure he makes it count.”

5. Anthony Don unlikely to play
“He’s struggling (with a knee injury),” Holbrook said. “Donny is unlikely, unless he does something fantastic today. His knee has been pretty sore. We’ll see how he goes today, but he’s unlikely to be honest. Both Jonus Pearson and Brian Kelly are there, so we’ll look to make a call on that later today.”

Holbrook is impressing me more every day....

willhelm
28-05-20, 05:13 PM
Do you know where he specifically grew up??

Australia I presume

Mr Bods
28-05-20, 05:55 PM
Australia I presume

Does anyone know where Matt Parcell grew up?

JunctionBlock
28-05-20, 06:00 PM
I wonder if these guys are injured or are unfit or just aren't making it into first grade but are given an out to save face.

- - - Updated - - -

https://i.imgur.com/okcjIIN.jpg

Upthetits
28-05-20, 06:15 PM
Really liking Holbrook. It certainly seems from those comments regarding fogarty that he is planning on keeping him in the side for an extended run which is good.

Again Holbrook seems to be making all the right moves with the pieces he has, I honestly believe this bloke will drag us up and up the ladder in the years to come and turn this club around.

timor 2
28-05-20, 06:18 PM
Yep Ipswich was coached by the Walker brothers....

Mr Bods
28-05-20, 06:43 PM
Yep Ipswich was coached by the Walker brothers....

Thanks JB/T2.
Shouldn’t be too hard to sell The GC to an Ipswich lad.

Hail Sezer
28-05-20, 07:43 PM
Parcell can play but was apparently a difficult personality at all the clubs he was at here

willhelm
28-05-20, 08:33 PM
So was Jackson Hastings but he has apparently grown up and wants to come back to the NRL soon

Mr Bods
28-05-20, 08:43 PM
We’ve got Perenara tomorrow.
That prick ruined us against Parramatta
If Mal farted in the stands he’d rule 6 to go against us.
He caned us in the penalties and cynically gave us some even up penalties in the last ten mins.

JunctionBlock
28-05-20, 08:50 PM
We’ve got Perenara tomorrow.
That prick ruined us against Parramatta
If Mal farted in the stands he’d rule 6 to go against us.
He caned us in the penalties and cynically gave us some even up penalties in the last ten mins.

Then I guess we should stop giving away penalties. I'm talking to you Wallace because you will cost us 18 points tomorrow with your slow reset and 5th tackle brain fades.

willhelm
28-05-20, 09:27 PM
Gee the Eels are looking good this year. Watching them demolish a stacked Broncos side makes me feel better about our boys getting toweled up by them. I think I might put a sneaky tip on our boys for tomorrow.

TitansState
28-05-20, 11:48 PM
so its??

1. Sami
2. Pearson
3. Peachey
4. Kelly
5. Copley

Wonder what they'll do with Copley. All he's been saying is being excited to have a clean run at centre. Team does look better NZ's way though.

psmitty
29-05-20, 08:03 AM
Game Day. I am looking forward to it. Would love a good win to start the weekend.

Mr Bods
29-05-20, 08:58 AM
Game Day. I am looking forward to it. Would love a good win to start the weekend.

It’s been about a year since I/We had a Titans Victory Scotch. It’s beyond ridiculous.

Mr Bods
29-05-20, 11:58 AM
https://twitter.com/goldcoastsuns/status/1266183915896594434?s=21

Bayside Titan
29-05-20, 02:04 PM
https://twitter.com/goldcoastsuns/status/1266183915896594434?s=21

I’m channeling Titan Pete. No Suns here. ( like the sentiment tho ).

- - - Updated - - -

Bryce Cartwright (18) & Mitch Rein (19) are heading up to Townsville with the @GCTitans.

Jonus Pearson shifts to fullback for tonight’s match against the @nthqldcowboys

https://twitter.com/dloudon9/status/1266178442715787264?s=21

GCTTSD
29-05-20, 02:47 PM
Gonna be I interesting to see how Pearson goes at FB, also excited to see how Clark goes tonight coming off the bench running at some tired forwards, his running game really Impressed me in the pre season games

Upthetits
29-05-20, 02:55 PM
Very surprised at Pearson being fullback. He must not rate Sami as highly as some of us might.

Also with the speed of the game from last night i hope he doesn't leave boyd on too long. I'm worried he will burn out fast and become a liability in defence

GCTTSD
29-05-20, 03:15 PM
I would almost like to see Kelly given a go at fullback, I don't know how he'd go under the high ball but I know he played fullback in the 20s probably just cause he was the best attacker in the team but Id like to see him running with more open space

Hail Sezer
29-05-20, 05:04 PM
Sami is at FB, Dom got it wrong on Twitter bc I think she just read the team list from nrl.com which just auto swaps the injured player with the replacement.

Kelly named on wing.

willhelm
29-05-20, 05:07 PM
Don’t mind Kelly on the wing at all. He has better kick returns than Copley.

gotitans101_
29-05-20, 05:21 PM
Fox Sports reporting Sami at 1?

edit: what HS said.

indoallstars
29-05-20, 05:48 PM
Game day boys!

Really hoping Fogarty has a blinder would answer so many questions for us going forward, could really compliment our team if he plays like he did in qcup.

Looking forward to Hipgrave getting back into the squad after his concussion issues. Would also solve a major problem for us if he cements a starting 2nd row spot..

No harm in seeing Pearson at fullback or Kelly on the wing. Quite excited to see if we get better kick returns with Kelly out back.

Hopefully Tomo can be controlled, but he is also my captain in Fantasy ;)

JunctionBlock
29-05-20, 05:51 PM
I think we lose by less than 16. So better than the broncos last night anyway.

ozynorts
29-05-20, 05:55 PM
I’m buzzing, can’t wait to see how they play with the changes.
Cmon boys, rip in and have a go.

- - - Updated - - -

Game day boys! Hopefully Tomo can be controlled, but he is also my captain in Fantasy ;)

So do I. :surprise:

DIEHARD
29-05-20, 05:58 PM
Looking forward to seeing the footy back and the Titans. Can't believe it has been nearly a year since our last Premiership Round win.

DIEHARD
29-05-20, 06:02 PM
Congratulations Erin Clark (#153) and Jonus Pearson (#154) who will make their Titans NRL Debut tonight.

gotitans101_
29-05-20, 06:02 PM
Hipgrave really is a dead****.

ozynorts
29-05-20, 06:03 PM

He is up there with Wallace for boneheaded plays

gotitans101_
29-05-20, 06:03 PM
6 more

thanks Hipgrave

JunctionBlock
29-05-20, 06:07 PM

Doesn’t look like he has calmed his farm.

Didn’t take long for the ref to make a bad call on Peachey too

- - - Updated - - -

Good defence. Hope we can hold on for an error from the cowgirls

DIEHARD
29-05-20, 06:08 PM
It'd be nice to get ball! Well done Titans for holding them out.

gotitans101_
29-05-20, 06:08 PM
6 more thanks Proctor

JunctionBlock
29-05-20, 06:09 PM
Perenara should just 6 points instead of 6 more. What a joke of a ref. Just shows why they need two.

That had nothing to do with Proctor.

lonegull
29-05-20, 06:11 PM
We have the ball for 3 tackles in the first 10 minutes game set match

- - - Updated - - -

Perenara should just 6 points instead of 6 more. What a joke of a ref. Just shows why they need two.

That had nothing to do with Proctor.

That’s what happens when you get a referee who got his badge out of a cornflakes box I wouldn’t let him ref and under 6 game

gotitans101_
29-05-20, 06:12 PM
why do you guys always blame the referees and not the poor discipline of the players?

JunctionBlock
29-05-20, 06:13 PM
why do you guys always blame the referees and not the poor discipline of the players?

Because peachey didn’t drop it. LoLo was still walking forward when he was called held. Proctor was pushing him back. Open both eyes

DIEHARD
29-05-20, 06:14 PM
This is my first experience with the 6 again rule.

Whenever the one referee on field believes a defending team has infringed in the play-the-ball area, they will wave six-again and the attacking team will be off and running.

DIEHARD
29-05-20, 06:15 PM
Peachey definitely didn't drop it. Harsh call. But we got away with Hipgrave's rubbish.

JunctionBlock
29-05-20, 06:15 PM
Haha haha Kelly down the blind side looked like he was throwing the match. Then Kelly on the blind side pulls off some magic

ozynorts
29-05-20, 06:16 PM
WTF, how did BK score that? Wwooohhoooooo

DIEHARD
OOOOOOOOO Loved that try. The tap on, the flick pass, the spin. Well done Kelly.

DIEHARD
My team can score points. :cry:

JunctionBlock
29-05-20, 06:21 PM
Liking Fogarty and Pearson so far

gotitans101_
29-05-20, 06:22 PM
Interesting that what led to Kelly's try were 2 6 again calls against the Cowboys. Crickets in here after that one though.

JunctionBlock
29-05-20, 06:25 PM
Omg a challenge went our way.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting that what led to Kelly's try were 2 6 again calls against the Cowboys. Crickets in here after that one though.

If you want uproar go to a cowboys forum.

willhelm
29-05-20, 06:28 PM
Definitely not getting the rub of the green here. Feldt only got through there because two titans chasers were taken out.

NZFan
29-05-20, 06:29 PM
Peachey is no centre. He has turned in 3 times instead of defending his man.

ozynorts
29-05-20, 06:32 PM
Pearson needs to be in the team over Don.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Pears showing again why he shouldn’t be in our starting 17

JunctionBlock
29-05-20, 06:33 PM
Peachey with his usual “I’m tired” lazy penalty

If Young T is fit and Clark works out tonight he may struggle to make the team too

Croc
29-05-20, 06:33 PM
Peachy is having a horrible game so far.. penalties, missing tackles like usual in the centres

GCTTSD
29-05-20, 06:38 PM
The halves are the difference in this game, Fogarty and ash struggling with last play options and barely touching the ball during the sets

lonegull
29-05-20, 06:43 PM
Did I see that interchange correct 3 minutes until half time and Shannon Boyd comes on that is a strange one

- - - Updated - - -

The halves are the difference in this game, Fogarty and ash struggling with last play options and barely touching the ball during the sets

Yep totally agree

JunctionBlock
29-05-20, 06:45 PM
Good to see Arrow playing decent minutes again

lonegull
29-05-20, 06:46 PM
Forgerty got to come closer to the play seems to be camped out on the edge needs to get in the middle around the ruck more

NZFan
29-05-20, 06:49 PM

Certainly are but we look a lot better than usual still. The halves are playing far more direct than they do with Roberts there. Last play options have been awful though. We look so much better defending when Peats is in the middle

Croc
29-05-20, 06:49 PM
I think fogerty is doing good out there.. some nice touches and kicks, organizing behind play.. peachy is his usual, he shouldn’t be in centres.. Wallace makes me nervous when he gets the ball or tackles cos he gives away penalties! Boyd looks slow as out there, don’t see how the fast pass will suit him

jacksonm
29-05-20, 06:50 PM
Wallace is gone as a player, gives away penalties, no lateral movement, so looks slow and dull

NZFan
Forgerty got to come closer to the play seems to be camped out on the edge needs to get in the middle around the ruck more

Still seems like Ash is playing 7 and him at 6 doesn't it. Was good to see him barking at Ash though. Hopefully the coach tells the dummy half to feed Fogarty more

TitansState
One Jolliffe coming off the bench would've been real handy there.

So we've got rid of half of the toxic plays by dropping cartwright, lets get rid of the other half starting with peachey. Shocker so far.

GCTTSD
Yea Fogarty really needs to get his hands on the ball more hopefully holbrooks seen this and tells him because again it's just pass to ash and hope for the best on the last and ash is struggling. Pearson and hipgrave have been our best, peacheys probably been our worst, I'd move him to fullback Kelly to center and Sami back to wing and just let Peachey focus on attack to spark him to do something although Sami's been pretty good we are really struggling without a ball playing FB it's putting even more pressure on the halves.

NZFan
29-05-20, 06:51 PM
Wallace is gone as a player, gives away penalties, no lateral movement, so looks slow and dull

Agree, no leg speed whatsoever. He's just a pig pillow out there. Defence must love seeing him in the 17

GCTTSD
Hopefully Clarke can come on soon and give us some direction

Mr Bods
Great to see people finally realising Peachey isn’t a Centre
He has to play Lock/Hooker off the bench and some pinch hitting at 2nd row and 5/8 when there are multiple injuries in a match.

ozynorts
29-05-20, 06:53 PM
Peachey is a 14, pure and simple.

Mr Bods
29-05-20, 06:56 PM
Well halftime in the mini GF
If we don’t produce something special we are 0/3 and season becomes about development and learning to win.
Pull a rabbit out of our hat and we feel alive again

NZFan
29-05-20, 06:57 PM
Peachey is a 14, pure and simple.

I thought after the first two games we all agreed on that. It's so frustrating watching Holbrook make the same mistakes as Brennan.

JunctionBlock
29-05-20, 06:58 PM
Great to see people finally realising Peachey isn’t a Centre
He has to play Lock/Hooker off the bench and some pinch hitting at 2nd row and 5/8 when there are multiple injuries in a match.

I don’t think he deserves to be shoe horned into the team. Either he earns a spot on skill or he can have permission to negotiate with other clubs.

Boonarga
29-05-20, 06:59 PM
Even Arrow has given up. Weak as pi$$ defence to let that last break through.

GCTTSD
29-05-20, 07:09 PM
We really are so frustrating to watch we show glimpses of good football but always just beat ourselves

ozynorts
29-05-20, 07:11 PM
Pears again. Ffs.

lonegull
29-05-20, 07:11 PM
Pears again. Ffs.

What he said

TitansState
29-05-20, 07:13 PM
Tf is our problem with hookers and passing

jacksonm
29-05-20, 07:18 PM
We have the bench wrong, backrower required not props. Why isn’t Clark on......thought game is made for someone like him

lonegull
29-05-20, 07:22 PM
Yeah our bench with three props was never going to work with the new rules been exposed tonight

Mr Bods
29-05-20, 07:22 PM
Sucks being us

lonegull
29-05-20, 07:23 PM
One good thing to come out of tonight’s flogging, Wallace and Boyd cannot be in the same team with the new rules

JunctionBlock
29-05-20, 07:28 PM
Hipgrave again. Followed up by a Wallace “what’s going on?”

- - - Updated - - -

One good thing to come out of tonight’s flogging, Wallace and Boyd cannot be in the same team with the new rules

It’s only good if the coach thinks that too

gotitans101_
29-05-20, 07:31 PM
lol we're so bad

ozynorts
Peachey, nice defensive read there, not.

NZTITAN
we actually looked somewhat okay untill maybe the two least mobile forwards in NRL history in Shannon Boyd and JWall came on.

psmitty
29-05-20, 07:32 PM
Wow we are bad. We could be looking at the spoon again. Most players we have are useless we do not need to re-sign most of these guys. The problem is it is so hard to attract players to the club as we have been terrible for a long time.

jacksonm
29-05-20, 07:32 PM
Sami ain’t no fullback

JunctionBlock
29-05-20, 07:33 PM
we actually looked somewhat okay untill maybe the two least mobile forwards in NRL history in Shannon Boyd and JWall came on.

And the. arrow went off.

Mr Bods
29-05-20, 07:36 PM
All you loyal men who love this club (and the local kids) deserve better than what we are put through.
Ditto to the owners and staff at our club.

gotitans101_
29-05-20, 07:39 PM
Holbrook is stuck with this for another 2 or 3 years......that's if he or even the club lasts that long.

Thanks Garth.

JunctionBlock
29-05-20, 07:41 PM
We were better than the first two rounds. Same players we all know and have repeatedly identified are the usual suspects for leaving our team worse off when they are on the field. Hopefully some more smart changes next week.

lonegull
29-05-20, 07:42 PM
Wonder what Holbrook will do this week at training as the last week he went back to basics and simplified things but the players can’t even do that it, could get scarier next week with Roberts and Cartwright what a laughing stock we are

jacksonm
29-05-20, 07:45 PM
Holbrook is stuck with this for another 2 or 3 years......that's if he or even the club lasts that long.

Thanks Garth.

Any player with anything to do with Penrith can leave now please

lonegull
29-05-20, 07:47 PM
How good is MO geez I fell sorry for him bloody gives it his all week in week out

JunctionBlock
Everyone thank Shannon for being a brick wall that can’t move ffs go and buy a farm in Canberra and **** off

ozynorts
Holbrook is learning the hard way that the majority of the players he has are just not up to the standard required. How he and the club fixes this I don’t know. What club would want them.

JunctionBlock
29-05-20, 07:49 PM
Holbrook is learning the hard way that the majority of the players he has are just not up to the standard required. How he and the club fixes this I don’t know. What club would want them.

Knee cap them and retire them. Only answer I keep coming back too

lonegull
29-05-20, 07:50 PM
That’s the problem half the side so called NRL standard players will still be around for a couple of years yet going to be a long couple of years as they are still contracted

If you want to see a marquee player effort have a look at Ash in the last cowboys try, earning a million bucks a year for that

NZFan
29-05-20, 07:53 PM
We made our first interchange 5min too late and as soon as we did it was game over. Wallace is beyond hopeless, Boyd is the biggest guy on the field but only wants to tackle around the ankles and Whitbred is just meh. I like the fact that Whitbread is a local kid but he doesn't have the natural ability or size to be anymore more than a QCup player.

Only positive is the backs were marginally better than usual. Oh and the first 20min.

gotitans101_
29-05-20, 07:55 PM
Whitbread is massively overrated on here...he literally adds nothing that a standard QCup forward couldn't offer.

ozynorts
29-05-20, 07:59 PM
Both our “starting” hookers are average and we are thin behind them.
We have only 1 recognised fullback in the squad and he is in his second year and injured. Poor roster management.
Our second rowers are either plodders (Proctor), flakes (Cartwright) or bone heads (Hipgrave). Seriously lacking in a vital position.
Behind Mo and Lisone we have average props on big money.
And then there is Peachey.
I was so excited for tonight, I wasn’t expecting a win but I was sure we would see a much better effort. Boy am I flat now. More of the same piss poor effort from the same names.

Titslover
29-05-20, 08:02 PM
im so depressed

Mexican titan
29-05-20, 08:04 PM

Thanks Garth.

Hopefully he is not. I think about 10-12 blokes are off contract and many are on good money. I can't think of any worth keeping so a lot of $$ will be freed up. However who wants to come here. We are also limited to some degree to the pay that Ash is on. He is not a 200k player let alone what he is on.
My comments about Peats were bang on unfortunately. Other than Rein is there another hooker in our squad?

Croc
29-05-20, 08:05 PM
We were better than the first two rounds. Same players we all know and have repeatedly identified are the usual suspects for leaving our team worse off when they are on the field. Hopefully some more smart changes next week.

Yep, peachy is not a centre, rushes off his line which throws everyone else out every time and lets tries in, gives penalties away.. Wallace looks lost out of there and usually gives penalties away.. peats horrible, Taylor not NRL standard.. new guys in the team get a pass from me..

ozynorts
29-05-20, 08:05 PM
We all remember the sack carty hashtag, might be time to resurrect it. And start ones for Boyd, Wallace, Peachey, Proctor and Peats to start with.

Mexican titan
29-05-20, 08:08 PM
Both our “starting” hookers are average and we are thin behind them.
We have only 1 recognised fullback in the squad and he is in his second year and injured. Poor roster management.
Our second rowers are either plodders (Proctor), flakes (Cartwright) or bone heads (Hipgrave). Seriously lacking in a vital position.
Behind Mo and Lisone we have average props on big money.
And then there is Peachey.
I was so excited for tonight, I wasn’t expecting a win but I was sure we would see a much better effort. Boy am I flat now. More of the same piss poor effort from the same names.

Well and depressingly summed up Ozy. I actually thought we were a real big chance in that game. Thank Christ the TAB's are still shut. Bottom line is that with this side we just have to look forward to the changes and for Holbrook to get the team he wants. I think our posts will read exactly the same for the entire season. Has there ever been a more incompetent fool as a coach as Brennan.

NZFan
29-05-20, 08:10 PM
I don't think Peats was as bad as everyone is making him out to be. His defence was strong for the first 50min and then he fatigued quickly. It seems like the Clarke interchange was premeditated for the 60min mark and it was 10min too late because of the pace of the game. Both Peats and Rein need to go after this year though.

jacksonm
29-05-20, 08:14 PM
Forget who is on what money and drop the big name duds, bring in Farmer T Boyd and others prepared to have a dig

ozynorts
29-05-20, 08:15 PM
What we saw from Peats tonight is his best performance in 2 years IMO. He is past his best and continues to let us down at critical moments in games.

Titanic
29-05-20, 08:42 PM
When there’s a forward pass from dummy half there are two players at fault! Expectations were met and sadly surpassed ... won’t further depress anybody else.

mdrew
29-05-20, 08:46 PM
Moeaki Fotuaika with 154m and 43 tackles at 100% seriously!!!!!!

lonegull
29-05-20, 09:12 PM
Moeaki Fotuaika with 154m and 43 tackles at 100% seriously!!!!!!

Holbrook should get that stat printed out and shove it in the face of some of the other forwards

Ausphin
29-05-20, 09:26 PM
After such a long break and build up, really disappointing result and easy to say same old Titans.

One of my biggest frustrations is players who make errors or give away penalties because the are lazy or unfit and we have 2 of them in Peachey and Wallace.

The one hope I hold is Holbrook has shown some signs that he can see some of the problems. New coach with a new team, for the first 2 rounds he gave the established players a shot to prove their worth. The break gave him the chance to move Taylor to 6 which in the long run I think will prove worthwhile. He also saw Wallace for the plodder he was and pushed him to the bench.

We saw last night and again with our game, once a team gets the upper hand it is near impossible to contain them. Both the eels and Cowboys had around 65% possession.

I am not sure Peachey is even a 14. More like a 21. For me our centres should be Kelly and Copley, with Sami and Pearson on the wings.

I was actually impressed by Proctor tonight. He is not a gun but he worked hard tonight.

Whilst they weren't great we need to stick with Taylor and Fogarty at 6/7.

As much as I would dislike it, if someone offered me the wooden spoon now, but guaranteed that Peachey, Cartwright, Shannon Boyd, Wallace and Roberts were off our roster at the end of this year, I would probably take it.

NZTITAN
29-05-20, 10:25 PM
So I thought we weren't too bad for a reasonable portion of that game (which is sad considering this is supposed to be an NRL team but whatever), and a few things stood out to me.

Shannon Boyd and Jarrod Wallace are useless. No real mobility about them, or rangey enough to make up for it, just standard plodders who are hardly workhorses and complete liabilities on the defensive end. When both of them came on is when the game tipped imo.

Arrow was terrific, going to just be incredibly tough to replace what he does for this team.

Mo and Hipgrave are two guys you can build a forward pack around imo. Mo could captain this team at any point, and I love Hipgrave's aggression, we've desperately needed a guy in the forwards that the opposition somewhat fears in previous years and he could be that guy. Those two play with a legitimate passion for the jersey which is certainly refreshing.

Liked Proctor, Lisone looks to be another solid buy-low guy from NZ that we've had success with in past (Paasi, Peteru, Pulu etc), although I think his best role would be off the bench.

Pearson and Kelly were great, Copley was fine and its clear Sami isnt a long-term fullback although I thought he went okay. I'll give Ash and Fogarty some more time.

Peachey was bad. No idea what position he is long-term and it probably doesnt matter.

Whats Doing
30-05-20, 06:46 AM
The new rule changes makes Wallace, Boyd and Whitbred even more irrelevant in the game. Under the new rules players who lack mobility and lateral movement are a liability.

The new rules have put us further behind all of the other teams and we have to be realistic that even Bellamy cannot do anything with the current team. They are just not NRL standard and we will get blown off the park in more games than not under the new rules.

shamus
30-05-20, 08:02 AM
Cowboys 9 players run over 100 metres... Titans 8 players 20 or more tackles
Titans 3 players run over 100 metres... Cows 2 players 20 or more tackles

Fox sports stats...

As Holbrook says...gotta play smarter. Some dumb guys out there. No 1 was Peachey (absolute standout really). Sami gave up on saving 2 points twice and also gave up trying to get out of his own in goal. There was definitely 1 attempt he could have tried. All he had to do was catch and swivel and he would he would have seen an opening. He may not have made it but geez he could have tried.
Mo was our best and I thought Hipgrave after a poor start was also great. Taylor appeared to be the dominant half. I personally thought Fogarty was quiet but that maybe because a) I wasn’t watching him that closely and/or b) Taylor was trying to stamp his authority.

In a nutshell, absolute rubbish once again and if it wasn’t for Kelly and Frizelle I would have canned my membership ages ago.

Titslover
30-05-20, 08:33 AM
one thing I don’t understand is why Holbrook pairs Mo and Lisone together, and then takes them off for Boyd and Wallace. We go from having 2 powerful, mobile front rowers to suddenly 2 overweight plodders, and we lose all momentum in the ruck. Surely it would make sense to have a slow and fast guy together. I’d be starting Mo and Wallace together just for that reason

Just-a-Fan
30-05-20, 08:46 AM
Fogarty needs to play on the left side not right sorry but that he natural side
Taylor needs to be dropped I think and bring in T Boyd
S Boyd Wallace and Whitbread cant be in the same side all are just to slow
Clark was not as good as I think he should of been
Peachy needs to be just dropped might spark him but I dont think it would change him
Pearson did well outside Peachy
Sami is not a FB as we all know but still did ok need to be back on the left side
Lisone is a bench player offers more of there
Mofo was a 5 star player I think he out played Arrow and Arrow had a fantastic game
we miss James thats for sure
Proctor had a better game but I think he just after a contract ( sorry to say it)
as for the game mmmm cant say much other then we SUCK BIG TIME

BundyTitan
30-05-20, 09:32 AM
Geez I feel sorry for Mo. 150 odd metres and 40 odd tackles with no misses, yet he's surrounded by a bunch of plodders and stupid blokes. Once again we were in the game for the first 30 minutes but we continued to give penalties away and ultimately towards the end of the game we were running on empty. With these new rules you can't afford to do that or you will get rolled (think there will be a lot of blowout scores). And then, as hard as he worked and he helped us with defence big time, Peats goes full stupid and throws a forward pass just when we had our first opportunity in our own half...seriously!!!

Honestly doubting that we will win a game this entire season it is that bad. Our defence has improved but we do too much of it due to errors and penalties that we end up capitulating in the second half when we are buggered, and our attack looks clueless and unthreatening. The worst is honestly our last tackle options, 9/10 times we decide to run it on last or put a grubber straight to their fullback. What happened to Fogarty "taking over the team" when Ash still kept getting it on 5th tackle for some reason?

Gonna be a long year or two until we can change the roster massively unfortunately, there's a few blokes trying really hard that can be proud but there's also a lot that are stealing money from us in broad daylight.

Badel's and Badger's Mate
30-05-20, 10:27 AM
Gold Coast Titans 14th straight loss in big loss to North Queensland Cowboys

The North Queensland Cowboys have heaped misery on the Gold Coast Titans as they near a nightmare milestone.

Andrew McMurtry

The Gold Coast Titans are one loss away from being over 12 months without a win after the North Queensland Cowboys put the cellar-dwellers to the sword on Friday evening.

The 36-6 victory came off an impressive performance from the Cowboys who ran in six tries to one, while the Titans again capitulated.

While it was the first win for the Cowboys as their new home of Queensland Country Bank Stadium in Townsville, the win was also North Queensland’s tenth straight against the Titans.

For the Titans, it was ugly viewing.

With just 66 per cent of possession, the Titans had just 29 sets of six to the Cowboys’ 45 as the home side controlled the match.

It also means it’s been 356 days since the Titans’ last win on June 9, 2019 against the Brisbane Broncos in round 13 in 2019.

While the coronavirus has played a big role, the 14-game losing streak puts the Titans on par with the 1998-99 Western Suburbs Magpies and 1919-20 Annandale teams on 14 losses.

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/ae97c82c6bf99f452f4ee382ac37f686?width=650
The Gold Coast Titans have had a tough time of it.

The side will have one more chance to end its year of misery with a match against the Wests Tigers on Sunday, June 7.

But if the Titans want a way out of its rut, the side may have to look at the Cowboys’ dominance out of dummy half.

In a brilliant second half, interchange hooker Reece Robson tore the heart out of the Gold Coast Titans with two tries in four minutes.

But working in tandem with Jake Granville, the Cowboys dominated the middle of the field throughout the game with Robson blowing the scoreline wide open.

After he scored his second try, both coming out of dummy half, Fox League sideline reporter Brent Tate asked commentator Michael Ennis if the use of two hookers would be the way forward with the new NRL rules.

"I spoke to Greeny about it and he was unsure given the rules were untested but from what we've seen in the opening two nights of footy, the rotation of Granville and Robson could be a masterstroke for Paul Green," he said. "I'll be fascinated to see how the likes of Smith and Cook and Hodgson and Friend go in upcoming matches but this has looked good, I've really enjoyed the rotation of Granville and Robson this evening."

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/427c6419aecd5ad46e60d14128374c83?width=650
The North Queensland Cowboys were on fire.Source:News Corp Australia

In the absence of captain Michael Morgan, halves Scott Drinkwater and Jake Clifford also clicked to spark the rout.

Off the back of another monster game by lock Jason Taumalolo (274m), Drinkwater set up two tries for winger Ben Hampton while Clifford kept North Queensland’s foot on the Titans’ throat with his precision kicking.

Former Cronulla premiership winner Valentine Holmes had his best game since returning from a 2019 NFL sojourn, setting up three tries and running 113m.

It marked the third straight defeat for new coach Justin Holbrook in a nightmare start for the former Super League premiership winner with St Helens.

Holbrook wielded the axe before the round three clash, making six changes but was forced to make more before kick-off due to injury.

But the new look Gold Coast suffered the same old problem, suffering from errors and poor last play options to ensure North Queensland held the momentum.

Social media was quick to feel sorry for the Titans coach.

Quite conflicted here.

Cowboys are winning (yay).

But gosh I feel for Justin Holbrook. #NRLCowboysTitans
— Veronica Eggleton (@veggleton) May 29, 2020

When Justin Holbrook takes the the Titans to the finals in a few years time he’ll deserve a $50m bonus. That team is a rabble right now. #NRL
— Mark Gottlieb (@MarkGottlieb) May 29, 2020

Poor Justin Holbrook #NRLCowboysTitans
— Lloyd Johnstone (@lwjohns_) May 29, 2020

Source: news.com.au (https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/gold-coast-titans-14th-straight-loss-in-big-loss-to-north-queensland-cowboys/news-story/903b368d04a95fa13c28ec6547564df2)

JunctionBlock
30-05-20, 10:34 AM
When you need to forget about your micro penis and the Donkeys getting flogged.

Mr Bods
30-05-20, 06:26 PM
I see Mal is on The TV tonight
Did he have anything to say about us earlier??

Dooldog76
30-05-20, 06:26 PM
The new rule changes makes Wallace, Boyd and Whitbred even more irrelevant in the game. Under the new rules players who lack mobility and lateral movement are a liability.

The new rules have put us further behind all of the other teams and we have to be realistic that even Bellamy cannot do anything with the current team. They are just not NRL standard and we will get blown off the park in more games than not under the new rules.

I can't agree more with this. It was my main concern going into the game how our bench would go and my worst fears were realised. Boyd and Wallace are done. They should not take the field again. Maybe farmer and definitely fermor(when he is fit) should slot in nicely. Holbrook has a decision to make now. Keep playing a side that obviously has a losing culture or start trying Combos for next year and sweep the floor of the trash. I don't really care now for this year, time to be strategic for next.

willhelm
30-05-20, 06:56 PM
I’m not completely done with Wallace. He has had a shocking start to this season and single handedly destroyed any chance we had against the Raiders with those errors. That said, he has been one of our best for a few years now, and I think he could come good again. He needs to start with Mo though. We can’t have Wallace, Boyd and Whitbread all coming off the bench because others have said, they don’t have the mobility.

I am completely done with Boyd and Roberts though.

Dooldog76
30-05-20, 06:56 PM
And on carty, I think he will be an asset in attack with the new rules by an absolute liability in defence. Difficult decisions for Holbrook.

Titanic
31-05-20, 02:54 AM
One mobile middle (Jolliffe) on the bench, two mobile back rows (Carty and Farmer/Fernor/Whitbread) and a utility/hooker (Peachy/T. Boyd/Clark) for mine. Bye-bye Wallace, S. Boyd, Roberts and Don) soon to be followed by Taylor and Sammi.

Upthetits
01-06-20, 08:12 AM
When is fermor going to be getting a run?