PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Squad, Signings and Rumours Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

lonegull
05-11-19, 07:52 AM
New thread to discuss 2020 signings and rumours

Bayside Titan
05-11-19, 09:10 AM
This thread will have crickets in it for a while :-).

Detwelve12
05-11-19, 02:11 PM
The 25 Titans players who commenced pre-season yesterday are:

Jai Arrow

Shannon Boyd

Tanah Boyd

AJ Brimson

Bryce Cartwright

Dale Copley

Anthony Don

Darius Farmer

Moeaki Fotuaika

Keegan Hipgrave

Ryan James

Brian Kelly

Leilani Latu

Tyrone Peachey

Nathan Peats

Kevin Proctor

Mitch Rein

Tyrone Roberts

Phillip Sami

Treymain Spry

Sam Stone

Ash Taylor

Jarrod Wallace

Kallum Watkins

Jai Whitbread

Menoitios
05-11-19, 02:57 PM
Cheers D12!

There's a lot of talent there. I can't wait to see what the coaches can do with it! I really hope they can turn this side into a force.

Titanic Believer
05-11-19, 04:20 PM
5 spaces to fill should fill some gaps eg. backup fullback, unless they put Peachy there?

T0ken
05-11-19, 05:16 PM
Development Players

Juwan Compain

Kea Pere

Ioane Seiuli

Toby Sexton

Train and trialists

Jayden Campbell

Erin Clark

Jed Edwards

Will Evans

Alex Gerrard

Lofi Khan-Pereira

Tristan Powell

- - - Updated - - -

Also with the sharks committing Ramien into their cap we may be able to make a play at capewell.

It appears matterson will return to parra as they are the only club with a formalized on paper offer

Mr Bods
05-11-19, 06:17 PM
The 25 Titans players who commenced pre-season yesterday are:

Jai Arrow

Shannon Boyd

Tanah Boyd

AJ Brimson

Bryce Cartwright

Dale Copley

Anthony Don

Darius Farmer

Moeaki Fotuaika

Keegan Hipgrave

Ryan James

Brian Kelly

Leilani Latu

Tyrone Peachey

Nathan Peats

Kevin Proctor

Mitch Rein

Tyrone Roberts

Phillip Sami

Treymain Spry

Sam Stone

Ash Taylor

Jarrod Wallace

Kallum Watkins

Jai Whitbread

Good Lord. The same bunch of campaigners that took us to a most well deserved Wooden Spoon. We need the most amazing year with lack of injuries and Holbrook needs to be the next Bellamy for us to avoid the spoon.
They are all clinging on and refusing to piss off.
Another season of granite coming up followed by a huge clean out of dead wood.

Mr Bods
05-11-19, 07:22 PM
We all know how fickle league players are with their form If they are under contract and it appears that all our players had job security this year.
One thing in our favour in terms of seeing some improvement is that so many are coming off-contract and they no doubt will play with more desperation as that’s what league players do.

Holbrook (and the fans) needs to not get sucked in by that though and say sayonara to them regardless.

Mexican titan
05-11-19, 08:40 PM
Good Lord. The same bunch of campaigners that took us to a most well deserved Wooden Spoon. We need the most amazing year with lack of injuries and Holbrook needs to be the next Bellamy for us to avoid the spoon.

Yes Bods unfortunately you are right. There is sfa to look forward to (unless you are Meno, who is obviously on the gear). That is a very ordinary list of players, particularly when you get to the bench.

RavShamrock
05-11-19, 10:23 PM
Holbrook is no idiot so what is it he envisages for this squad?
I guarantee this bloke isn’t here to speculate on his future.

Upthetits
06-11-19, 06:27 AM
Whats the go with arrow? Been on the market for ages now. Would be good to know if hes going or not. Perhaps the club should set a deadline so we can atleast make a play at fifita from brisbane

Menoitios
06-11-19, 07:40 AM
Development Players

Juwan Compain

Kea Pere

Ioane Seiuli

Toby Sexton

Train and trialists

Jayden Campbell

Erin Clark

Jed Edwards

Will Evans

Alex Gerrard

Lofi Khan-Pereira

Tristan Powell

- - - Updated - - -

Also with the sharks committing Ramien into their cap we may be able to make a play at capewell.

It appears matterson will return to parra as they are the only club with a formalized on paper offer

Was the interest in Capewell from the club, or from the forums here? It didn't seem to gain much traction.

I wouldn't mind seeing him here.

Menoitios
06-11-19, 07:54 AM
Yes Bods unfortunately you are right. There is sfa to look forward to (unless you are Meno, who is obviously on the gear). That is a very ordinary list of players, particularly when you get to the bench.

Jeez you're boring.

Hey...what are manly doing with Cade Cust? That lad has some potential! Surely he'd want to get out of the northern beaches (he seems reasonably bright)...or will Des try him in the 9 next year?

Ahh...doesn't matter. Ash will be a shining light for us next season.

;)

Dooldog76
06-11-19, 08:07 AM

Nothing against you personally bodsie but I think we need to be mindful of being all doom and gloom too early. That is the same lineup that many tipped to make the top eight before last year. I think it is important to see how a coach who has considerable experience goes with the squad. Give them until round six and the gloves can come off.
I also think that it's comforting we are not in the media every day trying to hunt everyone available. It tells me that they are focussing on the squad they have and the focus is footy, not chasing other teams leftovers. We really need to be patient and see what type of footy Mr Holbrook and the squad deliver. I still look at that list and think that if everyone does their job we can be competitive and that's all I ask as a fan. I want to be in engaged in every game.

Mexican titan
06-11-19, 08:08 AM
Jeez you're boring.

Hey...what are manly doing with Cade Cust? That lad has some potential! Surely he'd want to get out of the northern beaches (he seems reasonably bright)...or will Des try him in the 9 next year?

Ahh...doesn't matter. Ash will be a shining light for us next season.

;)

I'll let the boring comment go Meno. This time!
As for Cade Cust, the word is that he will get a go at hooker and there are plenty down there that think he can make a go of it. I also think he has potential and adjusted fairly well to NRL level in his first few games. Injury stalled him and then the team was going well with Walker back and at 5/8 when he was available.

Menoitios
06-11-19, 08:17 AM
I'll let the boring comment go Meno. This time!
As for Cade Cust, the word is that he will get a go at hooker and there are plenty down there that think he can make a go of it. I also think he has potential and adjusted fairly well to NRL level in his first few games. Injury stalled him and then the team was going well with Walker back and at 5/8 when he was available.

He'll go alright in the 9. He's got that mongrel in him. That tenacity and will to win. He's all effort...for himself, for the team and for the win. He's the sort of bloke that doesn't cry and whinge when he's knocked down...he just bounces back up and gets back into the fight!

I wish we had more supporters here with those qualities, and I trust the Titans will be likewise on the field next year.

As for the boring comment...don't throw them if you can't catch them. LOL!

Mexican titan
06-11-19, 08:31 AM
He'll go alright in the 9. He's got that mongrel in him. That tenacity and will to win. He's all effort...for himself, for the team and for the win. He's the sort of bloke that doesn't cry and whinge when he's knocked down...he just bounces back up and gets back into the fight!

I wish we had more supporters here with those qualities, and I trust the Titans will be likewise on the field next year.

If we had players with those qualities you wouldn't have to question why the supporters aren't the same.

Titanic
06-11-19, 09:17 AM
Sitting in a restaurant at Palo Alto wishing I was anywhere else but here, I add to the conversation:

1. Perhaps if the coach focused on the football, the football department focused on recruiting and the club focused on our fan base then we would be in a better position.
2. This squad will now be tested under a more realistic benchmarking microscope so we will find out what we’ve really got.
3. Without genuine pace out wide and strike in the centers the whole thing is purely an exercise in futility.
4. A 12th placed finish would be a reasonable outcome in truth but a potential club killer in fact.
5. I’m vaguely optimistic about Holbrook and this squad (ESL is not the NRL) but feel our lack of depth will hurt us. I don’t want anymore marquee players, just add three more juniors and two up & comers from other clubs to work on.
6. I think Meninga should take a flying fark off. We have the perfect club culture personality in the uniquely Gold Coast and creative P. Campbell. He is ours and represents our heart and soul instead of some out of town over-fed, over-rated and over-paid “immortal”.

Menoitios
06-11-19, 09:28 AM
If we had players with those qualities you wouldn't have to question why the supporters aren't the same.

I don't know how anyone can support a team without naturally possessing those qualities.

Sure...we can all feel angry, pissed off, depressed and let down at times...but to feel that way all the time is unhealthy to the extreme.

At the moment, we may only have small positives to concentrate on...but what is the point of continuously making yourself feel low by reminding yourself how bad we've been, and pointing out our flaws? Maybe some of our supporters display masochistic tendencies. Oh, that's right...I forgot...it softens the harsh blow of "imminent failure". What an outlook to have...

Well, count me out for that crap too!

To me...it seems wise to acknowledge our flaws (I do), concentrate on our strengths (as small as they may seem) and trust the direction the club has taken.

Above all...keep flying the flag! If our defiance to bow down to the "power clubs" and their supporters does little more than piss off our enemies...I'll take that!

- - - Updated - - -

Sitting in a restaurant at Palo Alto wishing I was anywhere else but here, I add to the conversation:
1. Perhaps if the coach focused on the football, the football department focused on recruiting and the club focused on our fan base then we would be in a better position.
2. This squad will now be tested under a more realistic benchmarking microscope so we will find out what we’ve really got.
3. Without genuine pace out wide and strike in the centers the whole thing is purely an exercise in futility.
4. A 12th placed finish would be a reasonable outcome in truth but a potential club killer in fact.
5. I’m vaguely optimistic about Holbrook and this squad (ESL is not the NRL) but feel our lack of depth will hurt us. I don’t want anymore marquee players, just add three more juniors and two up & comers from other clubs to work on.

Well said.

Point 4 is a very real possibility. That said...I will never fall on my sword. I say we fight hard, together in the one direction...club, team and supporters! I'd rather fight and be killed than agree with the naysayers (those with the power to eliminate us) and whimper my way to nonexistence.

A little dramatic...but think about it.

mdrew
06-11-19, 04:52 PM
Great to see some of the talented Titans junior players will get an opportunity to train with the Titans NRL squad this offseason and showcase themselves to Justin Holbrook.

The likes of centre Will Evans, fullback Jayden Campbell, second rower Tristian Powell, hooker Jed Edwards and winger Lofi Khan-Periera are all future Titans and the work that they will do with the NRL squad will stand them in good stead to get to the NRL sooner rather than later.

Will Evans in particular has a great perigee including playing two Queensland Cup matches for Burleigh this season as an 18 year old including Burleigh’s first final and also playing in two of Wales three Nines pool matches recently. Will Evans first match in a Titans jersey was as an 13 year old when he played at fullback against a Marsden SHS side (he was outstanding that day) at Pizzey Park thus it is great to see him training with the Titans NRL side.

Jayden Campbell, the son of legend Preston Campbell is another great Titans story in the making and was the leading try scorer and points scorer in the Hastings Deering’s Colts competition this season with the Titans beating a number of Sydney clubs for his signature on a three year contract.

Tristian Powell and Lofi Khan-Periera graduate to training with the NRL side from starting for the 2019 Queensland U18 side and even though Jed Edwards 2019 season was cruelled by injury he is a former Queensland U16 hooker and yet another local junior on the rise.

In relation to the players on NRL Development contracts I can see 18 year old second rower Juwan Compain making his NRL debut late in 2020 and also Ioane Seuili (who transitioned from centre to second row in 2019) also getting an NRL shot. Ioane Seuili is still U20 eligible in 2020 but spent the entire 2019 season (until his shoulder injury) in the Queensland Cup and Juwan Compain played in two Queensland Cup matches as a 17 year old, both playing for Tweed Heads.

Juwan Compain’s first match in a Titans jersey came when he was just 13 years old so it will be great to see a local junior progress all the way to the NRL when he makes his debut.

Former Australian school boy and PBC co-captain Toby Sexton will likely start the season in the Colts competition for Tweed Heads but clearly is highly thought of as he has been doing the drills as starting five eight in the early pre-season sessions in his first season out of the U18 ranks.

Kea Pere’s first season with the Titans was impacted by injury but has undoubted talent as well as size and speed. Late in the 2019 season he actually spent some time in the second row for the Burleigh Colts side and it will be interesting to see if the Titans are considering a permanent move there from the outside backs.

Of course there is also star in the making second rower Darius Farmer (who signed with the Titans as a 15 year old) who has overcome health issues to be on the verge of realising his deserved NRL dream as early as Round One against Canberra next season. Make no mistake Darius Farmer will bring aspects to the NRL side that no other Titans contracted player has with his size, skill and outside back type speed on the right side of the field.

Regardless of what happens in 2020 in the NRL (and we all hope we do well) the future is incredibly bright for the Titans and I can only try to assure people that the Junior Titans System (JTS) is the envy of all other clubs in the NRL. We may never get to the stage where every player that wears a Titans jersey is a local junior but heck we will not be far away in the next two or three years.

I have mentioned only the players that are training with the NRL squad in some capacity this off season but there are plenty more that will follow these players to the NRL in a Titans jersey.

Mr Bods
06-11-19, 06:00 PM
I’d be happy to move on pretty much every out of town player coming off contract at the end of next year and replace them with every top end talented teenager and just watch them come through and organically take us up the ladder rather than fill our list with the Peats, Reins, Cartwright’s, Latu’s, Peachey’s, Copley’s etc of this world that end up here because it’s an inviting superannuation top up.

Upthetits
06-11-19, 06:50 PM
Love reading those posts mdrew, thanks for taking the time

lonegull
06-11-19, 09:00 PM
Thanks Mdrew for keeping the info coming

Titanic
06-11-19, 09:51 PM
mdrew love your work, as always.

SCoast Titan
07-11-19, 06:23 AM
I think peatsy actually loves the place. He has spoken many times that he would love to finish his career with us and regardless of where his career takes him, him and his family love the gc and he will probably live here when he retires. Also now the mark minichiello has retired and come back the club should be getting him involved somehow.

Bayside Titan
07-11-19, 07:28 AM
I think peatsy actually loves the place. He has spoken many times that he would love to finish his career with us and regardless of where his career takes him, him and his family love the gc and he will probably live here when he retires. Also now the mark minichiello has retired and come back the club should be getting him involved somehow.

I have always liked Minichiello. He would be great as he had a lot of passion for the club and could gee the players up a bit. But I guess want and $ speak a lot as well. I think now explayers that have a coaching capacity need to have or working towards a coaching qualification. One thing that I did learn is that some former players want to be around clubs but want to be paid more than what the role is actually worth. Or some clubs just don’t have the budget to do so as well.

Menoitios
07-11-19, 08:01 AM
Great to see some of the talented Titans junior players will get an opportunity to train with the Titans NRL squad this offseason and showcase themselves to Justin Holbrook.

The likes of centre Will Evans, fullback Jayden Campbell, second rower Tristian Powell, hooker Jed Edwards and winger Lofi Khan-Periera are all future Titans and the work that they will do with the NRL squad will stand them in good stead to get to the NRL sooner rather than later.

Will Evans in particular has a great perigee including playing two Queensland Cup matches for Burleigh this season as an 18 year old including Burleigh’s first final and also playing in two of Wales three Nines pool matches recently. Will Evans first match in a Titans jersey was as an 13 year old when he played at fullback against a Marsden SHS side (he was outstanding that day) at Pizzey Park thus it is great to see him training with the Titans NRL side.

Jayden Campbell, the son of legend Preston Campbell is another great Titans story in the making and was the leading try scorer and points scorer in the Hastings Deering’s Colts competition this season with the Titans beating a number of Sydney clubs for his signature on a three year contract.

Tristian Powell and Lofi Khan-Periera graduate to training with the NRL side from starting for the 2019 Queensland U18 side and even though Jed Edwards 2019 season was cruelled by injury he is a former Queensland U16 hooker and yet another local junior on the rise.

In relation to the players on NRL Development contracts I can see 18 year old second rower Juwan Compain making his NRL debut late in 2020 and also Ioane Seuili (who transitioned from centre to second row in 2019) also getting an NRL shot. Ioane Seuili is still U20 eligible in 2020 but spent the entire 2019 season (until his shoulder injury) in the Queensland Cup and Juwan Compain played in two Queensland Cup matches as a 17 year old, both playing for Tweed Heads.

Juwan Compain’s first match in a Titans jersey came when he was just 13 years old so it will be great to see a local junior progress all the way to the NRL when he makes his debut.

Former Australian school boy and PBC co-captain Toby Sexton will likely start the season in the Colts competition for Tweed Heads but clearly is highly thought of as he has been doing the drills as starting five eight in the early pre-season sessions in his first season out of the U18 ranks.

Kea Pere’s first season with the Titans was impacted by injury but has undoubted talent as well as size and speed. Late in the 2019 season he actually spent some time in the second row for the Burleigh Colts side and it will be interesting to see if the Titans are considering a permanent move there from the outside backs.

Of course there is also star in the making second rower Darius Farmer (who signed with the Titans as a 15 year old) who has overcome health issues to be on the verge of realising his deserved NRL dream as early as Round One against Canberra next season. Make no mistake Darius Farmer will bring aspects to the NRL side that no other Titans contracted player has with his size, skill and outside back type speed on the right side of the field.

Regardless of what happens in 2020 in the NRL (and we all hope we do well) the future is incredibly bright for the Titans and I can only try to assure people that the Junior Titans System (JTS) is the envy of all other clubs in the NRL. We may never get to the stage where every player that wears a Titans jersey is a local junior but heck we will not be far away in the next two or three years.

I have mentioned only the players that are training with the NRL squad in some capacity this off season but there are plenty more that will follow these players to the NRL in a Titans jersey.

Thanks, Mdrew. A great post and very much appreciated!

Dobes
07-11-19, 04:45 PM
Apparently we've thrown our hat in the ring for Latrell Mitchell haha

willhelm
07-11-19, 04:55 PM
Apparently we've thrown our hat in the ring for Latrell Mitchell haha

Nah that was a Betoota article

NZFan
07-11-19, 06:02 PM
Cheers mdrew for that insight. Can’t wait to see a few up and comers pull on the jersey this year. Does anyone know what sort of contract Jayden Campbell signed? I find it confusing that he is train and trialist but signed a formal contract with the Titans.

Also well said Titanic. For the most part I think you have hit the nail on its head. Can’t agree regrading Mal though. His hands have been tied when it comes to recruitment and retention because of the shambles of a roster that he inherited. It’s pretty clear that he is now taking a more hands on approach to this aspect of performance and culture and who better are we to have in that position than the Kangaroo coach? It has been Mal that has been the face of negotiations in respect to Brimson and Arrow. A lot of people on here have been very critical of the club paying overs for players and this is his first step to rectifying that. It’s going to hurt if we lose either of them but I trust that Mal knows exactly what their market value should be. I’ll happily eat my words if Mal turns out to be a flop but I feel most people are happy to sink the boot in when he hasn’t even had the chance to achieve anything.

Bayside Titan
07-11-19, 06:24 PM
One thing that some people forget. That is Mal has a reputation to keep intact. He is not going leave the club in a poorer position than what he arrived in. To do so will forever taint him.

ja4220
07-11-19, 08:36 PM
Cheers mdrew for that insight. Can’t wait to see a few up and comers pull on the jersey this year. Does anyone know what sort of contract Jayden Campbell signed? I find it confusing that he is train and trialist but signed a formal contract with the Titans.

Simple answer is he has signed a junior/development contract but is trialling for a NRL top 30 contract. Will, Toby, Juwain, Tristan etc are all in the same boat.

JunctionBlock
07-11-19, 08:40 PM

6. I think Meninga should take a flying fark off. We have the perfect club culture personality in the uniquely Gold Coast and creative P. Campbell. He is ours and represents our heart and soul instead of some out of town over-fed, over-rated and over-paid “immortal”.

I've just got off Fraser and this sums it up for me too. Don't think we are a chance of 12th though. Mal has had 12 months and has failed in 90% of his job. If we lose Arrow and AJ then he has well and truly got no value to add to the Titans. Kallum Watkins jumps to mind as an example of his idea of a good signing.

Mexican titan
07-11-19, 09:21 PM
I’ll happily eat my words if Mal turns out to be a flop but I feel most people are happy to sink the boot in when he hasn’t even had the chance to achieve anything.

I agree that Mal inherited an average roster, however his title included the word "Performance" and he was here for nearly a full season and our performance went backwards. I haven't checked but not many teams finish a clear 4 games last.

That shambles of a roster you (correctly) refer to is almost certain to be the same roster next year. If there is an improvement does the new coach get the credit, or Mal. The coach in my book.

Titanic
07-11-19, 10:26 PM
Just on the Meninga thingy: I don’t like to sink the boot too early and have only done that thrice: Searle (tick); Annesley (tick); and now the big fella ... as an administrator he was a pretty good footballer ... I’ll say no more but he will forever be the Stupid League traitor who has always had his snout in the trough.

NZFan
07-11-19, 10:32 PM
I agree that Mal inherited an average roster, however his title included the word "Performance" and he was here for nearly a full season and our performance went backwards. I haven't checked but not many teams finish a clear 4 games last.

That shambles of a roster you (correctly) refer to is almost certain to be the same roster next year. If there is an improvement does the new coach get the credit, or Mal. The coach in my book.

I think the coach most certainly gets the credit. Just as I am reluctant to blame last season on Mal because I firmly believe that Brennan and the decisions that were made before Mal came along were the causes of last season. Mal spent half the season conducting an in depth review (it is frustrating that it was never made public) and then spent the second half finding a new coach and taking on a general manager role - which he was never employed to do originally. It is frustrating that we have no new signings on the horizon and twice as frustrating that we haven’t been able to get rid of any dud signings but I would still rather be in this position than in the past when we bid on every person off contract and paid way too much for them. I’m just saying that I think it is stupid to throw the baby out with the bath water just because results haven’t been immediate.

psmitty
08-11-19, 07:00 AM
Anyone have access to the Courier Mail? Yesterday there was an article called Gold Coast Titans eye monster $4 million dollar roster overall. If anyone has it can they post it. Thanks

Titanitis
08-11-19, 07:48 AM
The Titans are weighing up a $4 million roster overhaul as more than half of new coach Justin Holbrook’s top squad faces an uncertain future on the Gold Coast.

Thirteen of the Gold Coast’s top 25 players are off contract at the end of the 2020 season, allowing Holbrook to orchestrate a comprehensive clean-out if he feels necessary.

A host of big-name players are fighting for their NRL futures following a shocking wooden-spoon season which saw the Titans win only four games and culminated in the sacking of coach Garth Brennan.

Among the off-contract players is captain Ryan James, New Zealand Test forward Kevin Proctor and former NSW Origin hooker Nathan Peats.

The Titans have identified rising stars Jai Arrow and AJ Brimson, members of Australia’s recent World Cup 9s winning squad, as priority signings.

But the other 11 players – which includes Anthony Don, Dale Copley, Leilani Latu and Tyrone Roberts – face the prospect of having to prove to Holbrook they deserve new deals as the Titans weigh up another roster overhaul.

Holbrook is the Gold Coast’s third coach in three years, with the club undergoing significant squad changes under former mentors Neil Henry and Brennan.

There is a possibility of the Titans’ squad for the 2020 season also changing, depending on player movement around the NRL.

Culture chief Mal Meninga is playing a lead role in shaping the club’s roster, but he said Holbrook would have the ultimate say on his future squad.

“He’s the head coach and has got some really good people around him in (assistant coaches) Jim Dymock and Jim Lenihan,” Meninga said.

“He’s got good staff and will be in control of all that.

“We’ve got a recruitment and retention committee and (football manager) Anthony Laffranchi has increased his role around salary cap compliance.

“Justin and his team will get a feel for the club and players and what he needs. We’ll make some decisions based on those outcomes.

“We’re not quite sure (if there will be player movement before 2020). It’s dependent on where Justin sees the players fitting in the team, particularly the top 17-20.

“There may be some movement with the players. We’ve got to be patient with what we do.”

The Titans have not offered contracts to 2019 players Jack Stockwell, Brenko Lee and Ryley Jacks, who are yet to secure deals at other clubs.

Former Warriors and Raiders halfback Erin Clark has been offered a train-and-trial contract by the Titans for the pre-season.

Jai Arrow is high on the club’s retention list. Picture: Jerad Williams

Meninga has previously declared he wanted to target some of the NRL’s top players to bring to the Gold Coast.

And he believes the Titans’ poor performances in 2019 won’t hurt them in the recruitment ring.

“We’re really working hard behind the scenes,” he said.

“We’ve improved our development pathway programs and have a really good football department now.

“We’re going from strength to strength.

“Things behind the scenes, beyond the football area of the top 30, are really strong. We’ve got a really good story to tell around recruitment.

“We need to build our foundation to ensure we get sustainable success. We can’t make poor decisions that will impinge on our future.”

SIGN THEM UP

Jai Arrow

AJ Brimson

WAIT AND SEE

Ryan James

Kevin Proctor

Nathan Peats

Phillip Sami

Keegan Hipgrave

Treymain Spry

Sam Stone

FIGHTING FOR LIFE

Dale Copley

Anthony Don

Leilani Latu

Tyrone Roberts

Menoitios
08-11-19, 08:20 AM
With Matterson joining the eels...Mal has reiterated his want for David Fifita to join the Titans.

This could be a big tell as to how much pull/influence Mal has.

Can't wait to see the outcome!

JunctionBlock
08-11-19, 08:43 AM
I think the coach most certainly gets the credit. Just as I am reluctant to blame last season on Mal because I firmly believe that Brennan and the decisions that were made before Mal came along were the causes of last season. Mal spent half the season conducting an in depth review (it is frustrating that it was never made public) and then spent the second half finding a new coach and taking on a general manager role - which he was never employed to do originally. It is frustrating that we have no new signings on the horizon and twice as frustrating that we haven’t been able to get rid of any dud signings but I would still rather be in this position than in the past when we bid on every person off contract and paid way too much for them. I’m just saying that I think it is stupid to throw the baby out with the bath water just because results haven’t been immediate.

I think the players betrayed the coach as much as the coach was incapable. So that puts some blame on the culture. Our incoming coach has gone on record as saying the culture is the issue. As for throwing the baby away with the bath water....the baby has moved interstate and the parents are still on the Gold Coast. Next step will be the club saying we need someone fulltime and there will be a mutual parting of ways.

NZFan
08-11-19, 11:07 AM
Next step will be the club saying we need someone fulltime and there will be a mutual parting of ways.

He was only ever employed on a part time basis, which is why he came so cheap. I can’t see the club getting rid of him just because he wants to spend more time with his family and he is still filling the obligations of his contract.

JunctionBlock
08-11-19, 12:28 PM
Titans co-owner Darryl Kelly said he trusted Meninga to contribute to the club, but admitted contracts could change.

“He is committed to seeing the club get to where he thinks it can get to,” Kelly said.

“The original contract was for three years, but like all contracts if they need to change, they need to change. No one is going to be holding people here that don’t want to be here or can’t be here.

“He’s got enough integrity to say he can’t do the job because of other commitments – he will know when he’s not contributing. I don’t doubt his integrity at all.

“Mal is maintaining a residence here. He will still be here when he’s required.

“He’s still fully committed at this point in time.”

Exert from an article. Guess you read this how you want to read it, half full, half empty.

Mexican titan
08-11-19, 12:52 PM
Titans co-owner Darryl Kelly said he trusted Meninga to contribute to the club, but admitted contracts could change.

“He is committed to seeing the club get to where he thinks it can get to,” Kelly said.

“The original contract was for three years, but like all contracts if they need to change, they need to change. No one is going to be holding people here that don’t want to be here or can’t be here.

“He’s got enough integrity to say he can’t do the job because of other commitments – he will know when he’s not contributing. I don’t doubt his integrity at all.

“Mal is maintaining a residence here. He will still be here when he’s required.

“He’s still fully committed at this point in time.”

Exert from an article. Guess you read this how you want to read it, half full, half empty.

Yep.
I think the bottom line is that you cannot do the role when you don't live here. I believe that whoever does this job, if it is really needed, that person needs to be in and around the club and players everyday. I think the second paragraph of Darryl's comments say a lot.

gotitans101_
08-11-19, 01:11 PM
With Matterson joining the eels...Mal has reiterated his want for David Fifita to join the Titans.

This could be a big tell as to how much pull/influence Mal has.

Can't wait to see the outcome!

Good luck with that happening is all I have to say to that.

JunctionBlock
08-11-19, 02:35 PM
Yep.
I think the bottom line is that you cannot do the role when you don't live here. I believe that whoever does this job, if it is really needed, that person needs to be in and around the club and players everyday. I think the second paragraph of Darryl's comments say a lot.

IT's the coaches job. Holbrook knows it too.

“It’s always the culture or the leadership, and that’s obvious.

“The answer is yes (the culture does need an overhaul) and that’s something we’ll work through.

“Culture is an everyday thing, you don’t all of a sudden have a good culture or a bad culture, it changes over time.

“We get to start fresh Monday and lay down some standards and behaviours that we’ll work in with the players over the next few months.”

It’s a culture defibrillation Holbrook has conducted before.

mdrew
09-11-19, 10:18 AM
Erin Clark is an interesting player that the Titans have brought in to have a look on a train and trial basis at over the course of the preseason.

The nuggety hooker played one NRL match in his time at the Warriors when he debuted against the Melbourne Storm in 2017 as a 20 year old. In 2016 the former Junior Kiwi made his International debut when he played for Samoa against Tonga.

In 2018 he joined Canberra but did not add to his one NRL match in his two seasons with the Raiders.

It will be interesting to see how he goes over the off-season and 2020 NRL trials.

Menoitios
09-11-19, 11:11 AM
Erin Clark is an interesting player that the Titans have brought in to have a look on a train and trial basis at over the course of the preseason.

The nuggety hooker played one NRL match in his time at the Warriors when he debuted against the Melbourne Storm in 2017 as a 20 year old. In 2016 the former Junior Kiwi made his International debut when he played for Samoa against Tonga.

In 2018 he joined Canberra but did not add to his one NRL match in his two seasons with the Raiders.

It will be interesting to see how he goes over the off-season and 2020 NRL trials.

Could turn out to be a good move for Erin. Hard for a young bloke to get a start at the raiders in his time there with Hodgson and Havili in front of him.

I hope he kicks on with us.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck with that happening is all I have to say to that.

Tricky, no doubt.

I wonder if Mal did swing it and gets Fifita here...would he then be considered worth having around?

I also wonder if Fifita doesn't sign, for whatever reason...would that be seen on here as another mark against Mal?

I'm with NZFan on this one.

psmitty
09-11-19, 04:03 PM
David Fifita may become available soon. Mal might get his wish.

Mr Bods
09-11-19, 04:37 PM
David Fifita may become available soon. Mal might get his wish.

Could you or anyone else in the know expand on this?
If Arrow/Brimson signed new contracts and Fifita came home to us then things could turn rapidly for us.
It could open the floodgates for all our juniors to either be determined to play for us or for the ones that have left EG Haas to want to come home to us.

It would be a game changer.

amaline
09-11-19, 04:45 PM
Could you or anyone else in the know expand on this?
If Arrow/Brimson signed new contracts and Fifita came home to us then things could turn rapidly for us.
It could open the floodgates for all our juniors to either be determined to play for us or for the ones that have left EG Haas to want to come home to us.

It would be a game changer.

I assume this is what is being referred to?

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/09/david-fifita-arrested-over-bali-nightclub-incident/

Mr Bods
09-11-19, 04:49 PM

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/09/david-fifita-arrested-over-bali-nightclub-incident/

Well smitty is dreaming then.
The Drongoes are the very worst club by miles in world sport for not giving a stuff about off field atrocities.
Their fans indifference to all forms of violence against women in particular is shameful and backwards.

So a nightclub incident in Bali will be totally meaningless at Red Hill.

JunctionBlock
09-11-19, 07:13 PM
I wonder if Mal did swing it and gets Fifita here...would he then be considered worth having around?

I also wonder if Fifita doesn't sign, for whatever reason...would that be seen on here as another mark against Mal?

I'm with NZFan on this one.

Yes it would be a mark against Mal, the same way he opens his mouth and says that anyone that doesn't buy in to the ethos will be moved on. No ones gone. Mal said we will go after Fifita, no fifita then it's a blight against his name. He is here to attract players, if he can't do that then it's another thing he hasn't performed that makes up his role at the club.

Titanic Believer
09-11-19, 08:30 PM

Club officials must just pull their hair out over the stupidity of their players. Same bar as the Solomono incident. Duuuhhhhhh?

JunctionBlock
09-11-19, 08:43 PM
Well smitty is dreaming then.
The Drongoes are the very worst club by miles in world sport for not giving a stuff about off field atrocities.
Their fans indifference to all forms of violence against women in particular is shameful and backwards.

So a nightclub incident in Bali will be totally meaningless at Red Hill.

https://i.imgur.com/4Q6T3gb.png

Hahahahahaha

Whats Doing
09-11-19, 09:17 PM
Both Fifita and his father are both locked up . The fafita quinella

DIEHARD
09-11-19, 09:23 PM
Isn't that the second incident in Bali in a couple weeks?! I'd be really reluctant (Actually I never would) to do that in a foreign country, let alone what amounts to Indonesia.

DIEHARD
09-11-19, 09:32 PM
The Bulletin looks at five Titans players under pressure to perform in the NRL next season
https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

WITH a host of Titans off-contract at the end of 2020, the Bulletin looks at five players under pressure to perform in the NRL next season.

ASH TAYLOR

Viewed as the future of the club when he penned a three-year, multimillion-dollar deal at the end of 2017, Taylor was a shadow of his former self this year.

In form, the 24-year-old is one of the best halfbacks in the competition so getting the best out of him is one of new coach Justin Holbrook’s most pressing assignments.

LEILANI LATU

One of a number of former Panthers recruited by former coach Garth Brennan, Latu has so far proven to be a big-money flop.

The 26-year-old prop has all the attributes to become an NRL force but time is now ticking after spending most of his time on the Coast with Tweed in the Intrust Super Cup.

KALLUM WATKINS

Brought to the club from the Leeds Rhinos in June, the 28-year-old centre had limited chances to show his wares this year, playing just six games in a struggling Gold Coast side.

However, the Titans have a history of recruiting English flops and Watkins will be desperate to avoid having his name added to the list.

NATHAN PEATS

A three-game NSW Origin representative in 2017, the 29-year-old hooker has battled injury and inconsistency ever since.

While his workrate is unquestioned, he must find a way to become a creative spark for the Titans to become a finals hope.

KEVIN PROCTOR

The Kiwi veteran is a polarising figure among Titans fans.

Some say he is underrated and pure statistics don’t do justice to his value; others lament the former Melbourne back-rower hasn’t delivered on the things the club hoped he would bring.

Either way, next season may be the 30-year-old’s last chance to prove his worth.

Menoitios
10-11-19, 09:50 AM
Yes it would be a mark against Mal, the same way he opens his mouth and says that anyone that doesn't buy in to the ethos will be moved on. No ones gone. Mal said we will go after Fifita, no fifita then it's a blight against his name. He is here to attract players, if he can't do that then it's another thing he hasn't performed that makes up his role at the club.

I thought it was, buy into the ethos or leave. No one left. Semantics?? Maybe.

The "love it or leave it" rev up is an old chestnut. "We won't pay you out...you can leave if you wish (breaking your contract)...where will you go?" Etc...

I reckon next season is when it will be brought into effect. Whatever Holbrook can add to the team ethos (a Greek word for character that seems fitting here at the Titans, lol.) will be important.

We could really use the three artistic proofs that Aristotle came up with to help build culture within the playing group...and the supporters.

Ethos, Pathos and Logos.

Ethos, to convince our players and fans of our credibility by ethical appeal.

Pathos, to persuade the players and fans by emotional appeal.

Logos, to convince the players and fans through logic and reason. (This one could be hard here at times)

Titanitis
10-11-19, 09:54 AM
Quite frankly if some of the players can't find personal motivation to perform to the best of their ability next year, then they are as good as retired. Surely they are aware that the won't be another opportunity in Australia for most of them if we finish with a fizzle again in the 2020 season.

Menoitios
10-11-19, 10:14 AM
G'day Titanitis!

Mate, I'd say the players would be acutely aware of what the club expects from them next year.

The media stories and club announcements are always as cheery and positive as they can be...but I'd be very surprised if there haven't been quite a few blunt conversations to lay emphasis on what is required next season.

We'll never be privy to those talks. We just get the media fluff.

gotitans101_
10-11-19, 04:03 PM
The Bulletin looks at five Titans players under pressure to perform in the NRL next season
https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

WITH a host of Titans off-contract at the end of 2020, the Bulletin looks at five players under pressure to perform in the NRL next season.

ASH TAYLOR

Viewed as the future of the club when he penned a three-year, multimillion-dollar deal at the end of 2017, Taylor was a shadow of his former self this year.

In form, the 24-year-old is one of the best halfbacks in the competition so getting the best out of him is one of new coach Justin Holbrook’s most pressing assignments.

LEILANI LATU

One of a number of former Panthers recruited by former coach Garth Brennan, Latu has so far proven to be a big-money flop.

The 26-year-old prop has all the attributes to become an NRL force but time is now ticking after spending most of his time on the Coast with Tweed in the Intrust Super Cup.

KALLUM WATKINS

Brought to the club from the Leeds Rhinos in June, the 28-year-old centre had limited chances to show his wares this year, playing just six games in a struggling Gold Coast side.

However, the Titans have a history of recruiting English flops and Watkins will be desperate to avoid having his name added to the list.

NATHAN PEATS

A three-game NSW Origin representative in 2017, the 29-year-old hooker has battled injury and inconsistency ever since.

While his workrate is unquestioned, he must find a way to become a creative spark for the Titans to become a finals hope.

KEVIN PROCTOR

The Kiwi veteran is a polarising figure among Titans fans.

Some say he is underrated and pure statistics don’t do justice to his value; others lament the former Melbourne back-rower hasn’t delivered on the things the club hoped he would bring.

Either way, next season may be the 30-year-old’s last chance to prove his worth.

Only 5?

JunctionBlock
10-11-19, 06:39 PM
I thought it was, buy into the ethos or leave. No one left. Semantics?? Maybe.

The "love it or leave it" rev up is an old chestnut. "We won't pay you out...you can leave if you wish (breaking your contract)...where will you go?" Etc...

I reckon next season is when it will be brought into effect. Whatever Holbrook can add to the team ethos (a Greek word for character that seems fitting here at the Titans, lol.) will be important.

We could really use the three artistic proofs that Aristotle came up with to help build culture within the playing group...and the supporters.

Ethos, Pathos and Logos.

Ethos, to convince our players and fans of our credibility by ethical appeal.

Pathos, to persuade the players and fans by emotional appeal.

Logos, to convince the players and fans through logic and reason. (This one could be hard here at times)

I think if you asked our current playing group about ethos, pathos and logos they'd think you were talking about the three musketeers. Players get payed well to do what they didn't do last year. If they played like they're paid then the fans will be back with interest. Still leaves the club itself and the staff and management. Big year coming up. Lots to prove. Even more on the line than ever before.

NZFan
11-11-19, 10:55 AM
I think if you asked our current playing group about ethos, pathos and logos they'd think you were talking about the three musketeers. Players get payed well to do what they didn't do last year. If they played like they're paid then the fans will be back with interest. Still leaves the club itself and the staff and management. Big year coming up. Lots to prove. Even more on the line than ever before.

Although I don't completely disagree with this statement, I still feel that Brennan, and then later Hodges, game plan and team selections were the primary factors for the teams poor performance. At times it was laughable how clueless we were on the field going from side to side with no penetration in the middle. What made things even worse was our roster was (and still is) top heavy in the forwards and we didn't use them. Don't get me wrong there were some really poor individual performances throughout the season but it seemed to me that we had the wrong bunch of players out there for the style we were trying to play.

It is very frustrating because I think that we would all like to see a roster overhaul but the simple fact is that we payed way too much for the players that we have and nobody wants to take them off our hands.

Out of curiosity would people still want to have Fafita here after recent events? I can't see him signing a contract anytime soon as his asking price will be scrutinised but I'd still be open to the idea of having him here.

Mr Bods
11-11-19, 11:08 AM
Although I don't completely disagree with this statement, I still feel that Brennan, and then later Hodges, game plan and team selections were the primary factors for the teams poor performance. At times it was laughable how clueless we were on the field going from side to side with no penetration in the middle. What made things even worse was our roster was (and still is) top heavy in the forwards and we didn't use them. Don't get me wrong there were some really poor individual performances throughout the season but it seemed to me that we had the wrong bunch of players out there for the style we were trying to play.

It is very frustrating because I think that we would all like to see a roster overhaul but the simple fact is that we payed way too much for the players that we have and nobody wants to take them off our hands.

Out of curiosity would people still want to have Fafita here after recent events? I can't see him signing a contract anytime soon as his asking price will be scrutinised but I'd still be open to the idea of having him here.

Yeah-the one thing I can’t stomach is violence against women and children and he didn’t cross that line. Plus he is a local junior, if he wasn’t a local junior then under the circumstances I would be against it though.

So all things considered, yes I would.

willhelm
11-11-19, 11:39 AM
Yeah-the one thing I can’t stomach is violence against women and children and he didn’t cross that line. Plus he is a local junior, if he wasn’t a local junior then under the circumstances I would be against it though.

So all things considered, yes I would.

But it’s ok against men? Strange logic.

I’m a very forgiving person, so if Fifita expresses remorse (which he seems to have done) and shows that he has learned and grown from it, I’ve got no problem with him.

For the record, I’m with NZFan in that I believe the coaching was the biggest issue last year and there’s still a lot of quality in the roster waiting to be extracted. I recall how excited we all were prior to the 2019 season. Nothing has changed roster-wise, so we’re in the same position but with what appears to be a better coaching team.

gotitans101_
11-11-19, 11:59 AM
Just watched the short clip on the website of us training, and.....I can't believe we're going into next year with nearly the exact same team that gave us the wooden spoon this year, other than the coach and assistant coach. Seeing the likes of Taylor, Roberts, Latu and Peachey in there just made me throw up in my mouth a little. It's ridiculous to expect Holbrook and Lenihan to be miracle workers and turn this wooden spoon side into even somewhat of a competitive one.

Mr Bods
11-11-19, 12:24 PM
But it’s ok against men? Strange logic.

I’m a very forgiving person, so if Fifita expresses remorse (which he seems to have done) and shows that he has learned and grown from it, I’ve got no problem with him.

For the record, I’m with NZFan in that I believe the coaching was the biggest issue last year and there’s still a lot of quality in the roster waiting to be extracted. I recall how excited we all were prior to the 2019 season. Nothing has changed roster-wise, so we’re in the same position but with what appears to be a better coaching team.

Haven’t you ever been out after midnight? It happens.
Wilhelm you just verballed me and said I think violence against men is ok. That is absolutely appalling. I talked about where the line is in terms of signing players.
I’m answering NZFan’s question about whether to take Fifita back or not and giving detail.
Read people’s posts before you go about attacking people and verballing them.

JunctionBlock
11-11-19, 02:40 PM
I've lived on the Gold Coast all my life, who hasn't punched a bouncer and vice versa? If we can get Fifita then grab him. Do I think we have a chance or are even in the running? No. Brisbane have done the same thing they've done with Lodge, got him off the hook, now he owes them. Should count as part of their salary cap.

Coaching was definitely a factor last year, no doubt. Problem this year is that we have no idea if we have fixed that. Same team that for two years now has given up and blamed the coach. What would give me satisfaction?, sacking half the team. Can't happen and won't happen. Might explain why I'm on the other side of the line of excited for our prospects this year.

Mr Bods
11-11-19, 02:52 PM
I've lived on the Gold Coast all my life, who hasn't punched a bouncer and vice versa? If we can get Fifita then grab him. Do I think we have a chance or are even in the running? No. Brisbane have done the same thing they've done with Lodge, got him off the hook, now he owes them. Should count as part of their salary cap.

Coaching was definitely a factor last year, no doubt. Problem this year is that we have no idea if we have fixed that. Same team that for two years now has given up and blamed the coach. What would give me satisfaction?, sacking half the team. Can't happen and won't happen. Might explain why I'm on the other side of the line of excited for our prospects this year.

Yeah I lived a few years in my mid 20s living/working/playing footy in Far West NSW so a brawl after midnight to me while it being something I hated was something you’d also just have to deal with sometimes. Groups of blokes ganging up on individuals or smaller groups is untolerable or if there’s a power/age differential that makes it a cowardly act too are unacceptable.
Go after a woman or kid though and you deserve a maximum response.

Not keen on taking other clubs trouble but I’m willing to make an exception for any local junior in this case as it’s not crossed the lines I’ve outlined above.

Menoitios
11-11-19, 03:04 PM
I'd take Fifita in a heartbeat!

In general...I don't think players lose their ability to play the game to their best. They lose confidence in the set up around them and that affects their performances. Yes they are professional athletes...but they need to have confidence building coaches around them. Every sporting team does. That's what good coaches do. They instil belief and encourage further development through confidence building.

We have a number of rep players in our side...and we have some genuine young contenders on the books. We had no idea in the coaching department this year, or the year before that if I'm honest. No idea. Our coach even seemed to hold some sort of grudges against certain players and was loyal to others.

What does that get you? An entire team of players that in one way or another don't give a crap. Some are pets and don't put in much effort...the others give up because they know their efforts won't get them picked.

Add injuries and you've got yourself a classic mess. Once Brennan was punted...Hodges and Burt went on to show that they had no control or ideas for the team. They simply went through the motions until the last round.

I am very, very sure that the new coaches will know how to get the best out of this side. It may take a little while...but that's what the off season/trials are for.

All that is my personal opinion only.

NZFan
11-11-19, 06:01 PM
Just watched the short clip on the website of us training, and.....I can't believe we're going into next year with nearly the exact same team that gave us the wooden spoon this year, other than the coach and assistant coach. Seeing the likes of Taylor, Roberts, Latu and Peachey in there just made me throw up in my mouth a little. It's ridiculous to expect Holbrook and Lenihan to be miracle workers and turn this wooden spoon side into even somewhat of a competitive one.

Did anyone else notice how small Stone is? I really don't understand why we signed him. Cracked me up a little when they were talking abut focusing on the basics and Peachey is in the background throwing a pass well over shoulder height during a simple drill.

Firetruck
11-11-19, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=NZFan;399314]Did anyone else notice how small Stone is?
Really? I have been to three of the sessions this year and in none of them did Stone look small. He is a tall, rangy lad and he looks pretty fit coming into the preseason.

NZFan
12-11-19, 08:30 AM
Really? I have been to three of the sessions this year and in none of them did Stone look small. He is a tall, rangy lad and he looks pretty fit coming into the preseason.

Watching him lift those weights I thought that he looked very lean. Like he is 10kg off where he should be. Might just be my biased opinion

Menoitios
12-11-19, 08:34 AM

Sam is around the 6ft 4in mark and about 103kg. Some think he needs to add more weight...but that can work against you sometimes.

I compare him in body size to Steve Simpson who was 6ft 3in and 104kg...and a very handy backrower.

toddythetitan
12-11-19, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE=Firetruck;399317]

Sam is around the 6ft 4in mark and about 103kg. Some think he needs to add more weight...but that can work against you sometimes.

I compare him in body size to Steve Simpson who was 6ft 3in and 104kg...and a very handy backrower.

I could see how people could confuse Sam Stone with Toby Sexton they look similar

Menoitios
12-11-19, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=Menoitios;399320]

I could see how people could confuse Sam Stone with Toby Sexton they look similar

Do you think that's what happened? I haven't watched the footage.

LOL!! They do look similar...around the face!

Just-a-Fan
13-11-19, 11:59 AM
Written By
THE LURKER @TheNRLLurker
I'm back with your mid-week dose of rugby league news, and while it might be off-season, there's always plenty happening.

Today, I've got some mail on Shannon Boyd's future and some backroom movement at the Dragons.

Read on for the details.

Getty Images
#1 Gold Coast keen to shift pricey prop
Former Test prop Shannon Boyd came to the Titans this year as a top flight signing from Canberra on a rich four season deal worth over $2 million.

But after just one season, the Titans are trying to offload the giant front-rower.

New coach Justin Holbrook is clearly not a fan of Boyd, who managed just 13 games in his maiden season at the club and failed to make any great impression.

Holbrook is looking to make changes to his roster, with moving Boyd on near the top of his list.

No NRL club is likely to take on the big forward’s hefty contract, and his best bet of finding a club appears to be in Super League.

The Titans are expected to offer to pay some of Boyd’s wages to sweeten the deal.

JunctionBlock
13-11-19, 12:22 PM
Hopefully the exchange rate helps us out with the British pound. Don't see him going though, he's a country boy with a family. Better off pushing the early retirement barrow with him. He might lose interest in rugby league again.

Mexican titan
13-11-19, 12:57 PM
Hopefully the exchange rate helps us out with the British pound. Don't see him going though, he's a country boy with a family. Better off pushing the early retirement barrow with him. He might lose interest in rugby league again.

Surely some NRL club will take him at a discount. At least one club should be interested in buying duds. Now let's see that club is..........the Titans. So whoever at the Titans can swing this deal would be able to sell sand to Arabs.
Hopefully he is the first of many.

Titanic
13-11-19, 01:08 PM
The Japanese are still hunting whales aren't they?

JunctionBlock
13-11-19, 02:04 PM
The Japanese are still hunting whales aren't they?

Toronto like to over pay. Could go hunting in the vast wilderness of Canada and Alaska. That might actually suit him.

Titslover
13-11-19, 02:12 PM
JB has a good point about it being unlikely he would want to live in England, but if we could somehow sell him to St Helens and get Luke Thompson in return, we would be stacked for middle forwards.

JunctionBlock
13-11-19, 03:27 PM
JB has a good point about it being unlikely he would want to live in England, but if we could somehow sell him to St Helens and get Luke Thompson in return, we would be stacked for middle forwards.

Who ever pulls that deal off deserves a pay rise.

Mr Bods
13-11-19, 05:57 PM
Signing Boyd was ridiculous
The moment JWall signed his contract extension we should have withdrawn our offer to Boyd
Mr Integrity Annesley though wouldn’t withdraw it because his image is more important than our clubs roster and salary cap balance
Now we are stuck with a Lemon who does a calf when running a lap of the oval and is out for multiple weeks with concussion when given a kiss on his forehead by his Mrs

Disastrous signing taking up an outrageous $600k a season on our cap

Thanks Garth Thanks Graeme

DIEHARD
13-11-19, 09:47 PM
Englishman Alex Gerrard trialling with Gold Coast Titans after signing with ISC side Tweed Seagulls
https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au

HE’S the latest Englishman hoping to make his NRL mark on the Gold Coast but Alex Gerrard is putting no pressure on himself to become the Titans’ first major Super League success story.

A veteran of more than 100 appearances for former Super League side Widnes between 2010-18, the 28-year-old prop has signed with Tweed Seagulls for next season after spending this year with Intrust Super Cup rivals Mackay.

As part of his Tweed deal, Gerrard has been given a six-week train-and-trial opportunity with the Titans, whose flirtations with players from the UK’s top competition have so far proven largely unsuccessful.

While Canberra’s charge to this year’s NRL grand final was underpinned by Englishmen Josh Hodgson, Elliott Whitehead, John Bateman and Ryan Sutton, Gold Coast’s previous signing of compatriots Richie Mathers, Dan Sarginson and Joe Greenwood met a meek end.

Joined at Titans training by mid-season English recruit Kallum Watkins, Gerrard said he was desperate to prove himself in the NRL but conceded his future on the Glitter Strip was ultimately out of his hands.

“I’m just going to try and work as hard as I can and come the end of (the trial) I’ll see what happens,” the 102kg, 188cm forward said.

“You can’t be too confident. I just want to put myself in the best possible position and put the (contract) decision in someone else’s hands.

“It’s been really good (so far), I’m really enjoying it. The boys have been really welcoming.

“I’ve always wanted to come to Australia so I thought I’d try and make it into an NRL system. When Widnes got relegated (from the Super League in 2018) I thought it was a perfect opportunity to come over.

“I was offered a contract with Toulouse and that was a full-time deal (but coming to Australia) was something that I’ve always wanted to do. It’s probably the most competitive rugby league in the world so it’s trying to compete with the best and test yourself.”

In 20 ISC appearances for Mackay this season, Gerrard averaged 106 running metres and 30 tackles as the Cutters finished 11th.

Regardless of the outcome of his Titans chance, he said he now hoped to help Tweed build on this year’s first finals appearance since 2014.

“I really enjoyed it this year, it was a really good experience. It was very competitive … but at the end of the season my manager and I said (to Mackay) we wanted to experience all of Australia,” Gerrard said.

“We spoke to Woolfy (coach Ben Woolf) down at Tweed and we met up and things spiralled from there. Tweed have been improving every year.

“If I go back to Tweed then hopefully we can improve on last year and have a really good season.”

RenegadeGC
13-11-19, 09:54 PM
Englishman Alex Gerrard trialling with Gold Coast Titans after signing with ISC side Tweed Seagulls
https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au

HE’S the latest Englishman hoping to make his NRL mark on the Gold Coast but Alex Gerrard is putting no pressure on himself to become the Titans’ first major Super League success story.

A veteran of more than 100 appearances for former Super League side Widnes between 2010-18, the 28-year-old prop has signed with Tweed Seagulls for next season after spending this year with Intrust Super Cup rivals Mackay.

As part of his Tweed deal, Gerrard has been given a six-week train-and-trial opportunity with the Titans, whose flirtations with players from the UK’s top competition have so far proven largely unsuccessful.

While Canberra’s charge to this year’s NRL grand final was underpinned by Englishmen Josh Hodgson, Elliott Whitehead, John Bateman and Ryan Sutton, Gold Coast’s previous signing of compatriots Richie Mathers, Dan Sarginson and Joe Greenwood met a meek end.

Joined at Titans training by mid-season English recruit Kallum Watkins, Gerrard said he was desperate to prove himself in the NRL but conceded his future on the Glitter Strip was ultimately out of his hands.

“I’m just going to try and work as hard as I can and come the end of (the trial) I’ll see what happens,” the 102kg, 188cm forward said.

“You can’t be too confident. I just want to put myself in the best possible position and put the (contract) decision in someone else’s hands.

“It’s been really good (so far), I’m really enjoying it. The boys have been really welcoming.

“I’ve always wanted to come to Australia so I thought I’d try and make it into an NRL system. When Widnes got relegated (from the Super League in 2018) I thought it was a perfect opportunity to come over.

“I was offered a contract with Toulouse and that was a full-time deal (but coming to Australia) was something that I’ve always wanted to do. It’s probably the most competitive rugby league in the world so it’s trying to compete with the best and test yourself.”

In 20 ISC appearances for Mackay this season, Gerrard averaged 106 running metres and 30 tackles as the Cutters finished 11th.

Regardless of the outcome of his Titans chance, he said he now hoped to help Tweed build on this year’s first finals appearance since 2014.

“I really enjoyed it this year, it was a really good experience. It was very competitive … but at the end of the season my manager and I said (to Mackay) we wanted to experience all of Australia,” Gerrard said.

“We spoke to Woolfy (coach Ben Woolf) down at Tweed and we met up and things spiralled from there. Tweed have been improving every year.

“If I go back to Tweed then hopefully we can improve on last year and have a really good season.”

Burleigh have signed former Titan u20 player Greg Leleisiou from Parramatta and is on a train and trial with the Titans for next 6 week.

Most would remember him as GL from his juniors days. Be interesting to see how he goes after being in Sydney a few years

Mr Bods
13-11-19, 09:58 PM
Burleigh have signed former Titan u20 player Greg Leleisiou from Parramatta and is on a train and trial with the Titans for next 6 week.

Most would remember him as GL from his juniors days. Be interesting to see how he goes after being in Sydney a few years

I find that a bit exciting.

Titslover
13-11-19, 10:15 PM
GL lead NSW cup in tackle breaks with 196, the next closest was 104. He also made the most post contact meters, 1535 and the next closest was 1461. He also topped the stats for run meters with 4513 with the next closest being 4011, and total runs with 433 compared to 397 for the second best. He's obviously a weapon in attack and his runs and post contact metres would be a huge asset for us, I've just heard that his defence isn't too great? Does anyone know if his defence is too much of a weakness for the NRL?

NZFan
13-11-19, 10:54 PM
Don't know anything about this prop but I'm sure he can't be any worse than Stockwell. I really hope that Holbrook has the guts to replace Don on the wing this year. GL would bring some excitement to the backline

Randomologist
13-11-19, 11:00 PM
That's awesome! Would love to see him back. Much more x-factor than most of our backs, and he's a local

lonegull
14-11-19, 07:05 AM
Can remember GL in the NYC seen him score some of the best tries out of nothing and was touted as a player that could go all the way, his footwork has to be seen to believe, his big downside is defence and that is what has stopped him playing nrl. I have kept an eye on him since he went to the eels and watched a lot of his games for wentworthville (parra reserve grade side) he has still got what it takes to become an nrl player, if you want an X factor GL is certainly that this one is definitely a diamond in the rough could be anything if he fixes his defence

mdrew
14-11-19, 09:04 AM
Spot on Lonegull

Bayside Titan
14-11-19, 09:09 AM
I remember that HS thought really highly of GL and I was disappointed like most to see him go..... I think we lost a few juniors and other players at the time that the Plane joined us. Glad to see him Back up here and I am keen to see how he goes.

JunctionBlock
14-11-19, 11:56 AM
I'd say that if he didn't leave when he did he would have had a run in first grade with us given our alternatives.

willhelm
14-11-19, 07:45 PM
Haven’t you ever been out after midnight? It happens.
Wilhelm you just verballed me and said I think violence against men is ok. That is absolutely appalling. I talked about where the line is in terms of signing players.
I’m answering NZFan’s question about whether to take Fifita back or not and giving detail.
Read people’s posts before you go about attacking people and verballing them.

You said you want to sign him but only because his target wasn't a woman or a child, i.e. you're only ok with it because the target was a man. Seems like a strange and inconsistent criterion to impose.

T0ken
14-11-19, 07:58 PM
lol from wanting Arrow and Brimson they're going to end up with Sami

TIGERS ZERO IN ON TITANS FLYER

Wests Tigers have set their sights on off-contract Gold Coast flyer Phillip Sami.

Blindside can reveal the Tigers are preparing to go on a spending spree and have Sami in their plans along with Roosters star Latrell Mitchell.

Sami, 22, has played 42 NRL games for the Titans since debuting in 2017, scoring 21 tries.

The classy winger could move into the centres as his career progresses and is being monitored by the Queensland Origin team.

Sami is off-contract at the end of the 2020 season and has to prove to new Titans coach Justin Holbrook he is worthy of a new deal.

If he doesn’t remain at the Titans, expect the Tigers to have a red hot crack at luring him to Concord.

willhelm
14-11-19, 08:12 PM
lol from wanting Arrow and Brimson they're going to end up with Sami

TIGERS ZERO IN ON TITANS FLYER

Wests Tigers have set their sights on off-contract Gold Coast flyer Phillip Sami.

Blindside can reveal the Tigers are preparing to go on a spending spree and have Sami in their plans along with Roosters star Latrell Mitchell.

Sami, 22, has played 42 NRL games for the Titans since debuting in 2017, scoring 21 tries.

The classy winger could move into the centres as his career progresses and is being monitored by the Queensland Origin team.

Sami is off-contract at the end of the 2020 season and has to prove to new Titans coach Justin Holbrook he is worthy of a new deal.

If he doesn’t remain at the Titans, expect the Tigers to have a red hot crack at luring him to Concord.

I like Sami and think he has a lot of upside. I'd be sad to lose him and don't really see who would replace him unless we went to market.

Mr Bods
14-11-19, 08:40 PM
You said you want to sign him but only because his target wasn't a woman or a child, i.e. you're only ok with it because the target was a man. Seems like a strange and inconsistent criterion to impose.

Refer to my previous answers. It’s Strange you can’t comprehend them, it’s a pretty typical viewpoint.

T0ken
14-11-19, 08:44 PM
I like Sami and think he has a lot of upside. I'd be sad to lose him and don't really see who would replace him unless we went to market.

I would much rather we lose sami than brimson or arrow though. We can replace sami easier

DIEHARD
14-11-19, 08:49 PM
Skipper Ryan James could be casualty of Titanic shake-up
https://www.couriermail.com.au/

The introduction of Justin Holbrook at the Gold Coast Titans has the entire club preparing for mass change, and captain Ryan James could be the next man impacted by the arrival of his new coach.

The Titans could be set for a captaincy shake-up after new Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook admitted he was undecided about whether Ryan James would retain the role.

Holbrook has spent the past two weeks settling into life on the Gold Coast after replacing Garth Brennan, who was sacked as the Titans collected the 2019 NRL wooden spoon.

Holbrook has overhauled the Titans’ coaching staff and is putting his stamp on the club, which could include a new leadership model.

Stream over 50 sports Live & On-Demand with KAYO SPORTS on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Just $25/month, no lock-in contract. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >

James, 28, was appointed co-captain of the Titans by ex-coach Neil Henry in 2017 alongside Kevin Proctor before taking over the role solely midway through that season after the Kiwi international was embroiled in a cocaine scandal.

James retained the duties under Brennan in 2018-19, however he was restricted to only six NRL appearances last season after undergoing a knee reconstruction.

Tyrone Roberts and Proctor filled in for James while he was injured as the Titans slumped to a shocking season, losing 20 games to claim the club’s second wooden spoon.

A local product from the Tweed Heads region, James has made 144 NRL appearances for the Titans since debuting in 2010 and is the club’s longest-serving current player.

While James has done little wrong, Holbrook is overhauling the Titans in a bid to turn around three years of poor performances and that could include a new captain.

“I’m not sure yet, I haven’t given that much thought,” Holbrook told The Courier-Mail when asked if James would retain the role.

“We’re in no rush with that. We don’t really need one until round one so I’m not going to rush that.

“He is coming off a long knee injury and has got to get himself right. He’s still in the rehab process for a while to come.

“We’ll worry about that next year.”

If Holbrook opts for a new captain, Queensland Origin star Jai Arrow is a leading contender.

The 24-year-old is a proud Gold Coast product and has been sensational for the Titans over the past two years after leaving the Brisbane Broncos.

Arrow has a squeaky-clean image and is an on-field leader with his tremendous workrate and competitiveness.

The only issue for the Titans is Arrow is off-contract at the end of the 2020 season and is yet to commit to the club.

Holbrook said he could opt to introduce a leadership group if the players supported the idea.

“Leadership has been talked about here and it’s become more important across all sport,” he said.

“It’s something I don’t want to rush into. I don’t want to put a leadership group in place for the sake of it.

“As coaches we’re the leaders at the moment. Once we see fit, we will have player input, whether that’s a leadership group or not. I’m a coach that includes players.

“I’m not putting a time frame on any of that stuff to get sorted.”

DIEHARD
14-11-19, 08:51 PM
'Relentless attitude' to recovery ensures Mo will be good to go
https://www.nrl.com/

The Titans have received a major boost with teenage tearaway Moeaki Fotuaika declaring himself on track to be fit and firing for round one despite being three months away from full contact sessions.

The 2019 Paul Broughton Medal winner had off-season surgery on his wrist and knee and will work his way back to full fitness through the rehab squad.

With the wooden-spooners drawing six of last season’s top eight in their opening six rounds of 2020. they need all hands on deck and Fotuaika said he was confident he would be available for the trip to Canberra on March 13.

“I had surgery on a meniscus tear in my left knee and surgery on my right wrist in the off-season,” Fotuaika said.

“The staff are saying I should be doing straight running by the first week in December and full contact by mid-February.

“I am on track with my rehab I am confident of being available for round one. We came back to training last Monday and I was still 110 kilos. I haven’t been able to do much [training] but I want to take care of myself so I get the best out of my body.”

At just 19, Fotuaika was the shining light in a difficult year for the Titans, averaging 133 metres per game, including 50 post-contact metres every match.

As well as playing with great skill and power he also showed his toughness by defying those injuries to stay on the paddock at the back end of the season.

Titans head of performance Dan Ferris is also backing Fotuaika to not miss any early-season NRL action due largely to his outstanding attitude and application at a young age.

"With our performance team and Moe’s dedication around his work ethic I’m confident he will be fit and ready to go,” Ferris said.

"Mo has a relentless attitude to how he trains and plays. He is all in with everything he does.

“He understood quite early the dedication and commitment it would take to succeed in the NRL - the dedication at training, working with our coaching staff and being a good teammate - all these areas Moe’s stands out in.

"He holds all of our absolute records in the gym for physical strength, but a strong attribute that Moe has is the ability to transfer it to the field."

Fotuaika missed Tonga’s end-of-season Tests due to injury but did spend time in camp with one of his idols Jason Taumalolo in 2018.

It is the consistency of Taumalolo that the young Titan wants to emulate as he targets backing up his stellar 2019 season.

"My main focus now is to back that up and to keep improving so that I can stay consistent next year," Fotuaika said.

"I don’t want to have a good season and then have a bad year. When you look at all the great players like Tedesco and Taumalolo they have tremendous seasons every year. Jason has done that for the Cowboys and the Tongan team and I can learn a lot from him.

"We have got the players at the Titans to win games but for some reason it didn’t happen this year. With our new coach Justin Holbrook and the new staff it will really help us in the new season.”

JunctionBlock
14-11-19, 09:16 PM

Last time I checked football players fight on the field, it's 10 in the bin, no police involvement. We all love the "bring back the biff" slogans. I'd say there is a fair difference between man on man violence and violence against women and children. The point is probably moot because the Broncos will get their man.

willhelm
14-11-19, 09:24 PM
I would much rather we lose sami than brimson or arrow though. We can replace sami easier

Yeah I agree

indoallstars
15-11-19, 07:31 AM
I might be the only one here, but I'm happy to lose Sami if we can get a winger who has strong kick return carries and can get us out of our red zone.

Sami has never blown me away, he has been very complacent, I am sure there are some up and coming juniors who could fill a vacant wing position.

JunctionBlock
15-11-19, 07:57 AM
I might be the only one here, but I'm happy to lose Sami if we can get a winger who has strong kick return carries and can get us out of our red zone.

Sami has never blown me away, he has been very complacent, I am sure there are some up and coming juniors who could fill a vacant wing position.

He's capable, but hes rocks and diamonds. The amount of off contract players for 2021 is the another thing that will help this team lift for next year whilst all these players play for contracts either with us or with someone else.

Mexican titan
15-11-19, 08:02 AM

No, that makes two of us. He has that annoying jink as he gets to the defensive line which often costs metres and slows the playthe ball down. A few of our wingers have had this problem like Don, Nene, etc. Nothing frustrates me more than blokes who have big body size but don't use it.

Bayside Titan
15-11-19, 08:52 AM

Reagan Grace anyone ??? Just a thought ??

willhelm
15-11-19, 09:01 AM
Reagan Grace anyone ??? Just a thought ??

I'm always dubious about English backs. I know he has pace but how are his defence and kick returns? Maybe if Leleisiuao kicks on and can be that Oates-style winger for us, we can have someone smaller and faster on the other wing.

SCoast Titan
15-11-19, 09:04 AM
Can someone please post the article from the courier mail about Ryan James??

willhelm
15-11-19, 09:25 AM
Can someone please post the article from the courier mail about Ryan James??

DIEHARD posted it on the last page, post #100.

Just-a-Fan
15-11-19, 09:26 AM
TITANS
Skipper Ryan James could be casualty of Titanic shake-up
The introduction of Justin Holbrook at the Gold Coast Titans has the entire club preparing for mass change, and captain Ryan James could be the next man impacted by the arrival of his new coach.

Travis Meyn, The Courier-Mail
Subscriber only
|
November 14, 2019 7:00pm
Close

FOXSPORTS2:52
Boyd: The Gamechanger
NRL: Darius Boyd urges Brisbane Broncos teammates to follow his lead and turn vegan
MORE IN SPORT

Dudded XI: QLD’s hardest done by cricketers

Bancroft shock call-up, Burns to open, Ashes flops axed

Gentle giant still showing plenty of fight

COLMAN: Outrage junkies need a reality check
RICH TEEN: Broncos to cash in on Fifita saga
The Titans could be set for a captaincy shake-up after new Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook admitted he was undecided about whether Ryan James would retain the role.

Holbrook has spent the past two weeks settling into life on the Gold Coast after replacing Garth Brennan, who was sacked as the Titans collected the 2019 NRL wooden spoon.

Holbrook has overhauled the Titans’ coaching staff and is putting his stamp on the club, which could include a new leadership model.

Titslover
15-11-19, 09:41 AM
Surely if we make Arrow captain it will make it a lot harder for him to leave

Mr Bods
15-11-19, 12:03 PM
All for Arrow as Captain and giving James an enforcer role rather than leadership

Titanic
15-11-19, 12:07 PM
As long as it’s not Proctor or any other outsider then I’m good.

JunctionBlock
15-11-19, 03:40 PM
I'm happy with James. He just needs to command more respect from the referees.

Bayside Titan
15-11-19, 04:05 PM
In the junior tread there is an article re a young gun signing. Sound promising.

DIEHARD
15-11-19, 04:06 PM
I'm happy with James leading the team. Jai is certainly a fantastic candidate too who meets all criteria of captaincy. I agree with Titanic, not Proctor.

mdrew
15-11-19, 11:40 PM
More outstanding junior signings to come.

mdrew
16-11-19, 12:12 AM
Attended a few NRL training sessions recently , heck Darius Farmer looks good. NRL debut in Round One ???

NZFan
16-11-19, 09:23 AM
Attended a few NRL training sessions recently , heck Darius Farmer looks good. NRL debut in Round One ???

I'm really looking forward to watching play him in the trials. How was Spry looking?

mdrew
16-11-19, 09:50 AM
He is one solidly built young man mate, and just glides across the field effortessly.

I'm really looking forward to watching play him in the trials. How was Spry looking?

Sunny86
16-11-19, 10:25 AM
We can only hope

NZFan
16-11-19, 10:58 AM
He is one solidly built young man mate, and just glides across the field effortessly.

That's good to hear. There has been some big wraps on him. Hopefully he can get a crack in the centres next season, we could do with some size and speed out wide.

lonegull
16-11-19, 07:58 PM
How good is David mead still going been bloody brilliant for the kumuls would love to see him given a chance again at nrl

Whats Doing
16-11-19, 09:34 PM
Exclusive: Off-contract Gold Coast Titans flyer Phillip Sami set to secure long-term future
The Wests Tigers appear to have failed in their bid to capture Gold Coast winger Phillip Sami, with the Titans flyer expected to formalise a contract extension later this week.
Foxsports.com.au understands that Sami, who was one of the shining lights in the Titans’ dismal 2019 campaign, is likely to ink a fresh two-year deal in the coming days.
Stream over 50 sports live & anytime on your TV or favourite device with KAYO SPORTS. The biggest Aussie sports and the best from overseas. Just $25/month. No lock-in contract. Get your 14 day free trial >
The Tigers had been hopeful of snaring the off-contract Sami, in the wake of the departure of Esan Marsters after the Kiwi international headed to North Queensland.
Instead, it is believed the 22-year-old has rejected the overtures from Michael Maguire’s side to stay loyal to the Titans in a deal which will see him remain there until the end of 2022.
It would represent a significant boost for the beleaguered club, who are aiming to turn around their fortunes under new coach Justin Holbrook.
Sami has scored 21 tries in 43 games for the Gold Coast and also represented the Queensland U20’s in 2018.
MORE NRL NEWS
PLAYERS ARE ROBOTS: Latrell’s No. 1 shift is about more than money
UNDER PRESSURE: Bennett’s job on the line as Great Britain mount salvage mission
PLAN B: Manly make contingency plan for Fainu in 2020 as he fights charges
Comfortable anywhere across the backline, Sami can fill in at centre, but has spent most of his NRL career on the wing.
In the 2019 season Sami returned for an average of 112m per game, and notched the fastest speed of a player in Titans’ history.
That came when he gunned down Melbourne’s Josh Addo-Carr in a try-saving tackle.
Sami hit a top speed of 35.9kmh in the valiant 24-8 loss at the back end of the year, with his Titans teammates nicknaming him “the Hound”, given he had chased down “the Foxx”.

Just-a-Fan
17-11-19, 05:35 AM
This is great news a bit of loyalty shown its a shame Arrow and AJ dont do the same.
I hoping Sami and Kelly can get it together this year I also hoping Farmer gets the left edge forward job

Titanic Believer
17-11-19, 07:30 AM
This is great news a bit of loyalty shown its a shame Arrow and AJ dont do the same.
I hoping Sami and Kelly can get it together this year I also hoping Farmer gets the left edge forward job

Who says AJ and Arrow won't do the same?

Titanitis
17-11-19, 12:12 PM
Have we ever had a crop of players under 23 with so much potential across all levels of the club and development? Of course it's only early days, but I haven't felt like we were this close to actual progression since 2016. Holbrook's interview with Meyn in today's Courier Mail showed a lot of promising signs. When asked if he thought if some players were taking the club for a ride, it seemed to me that he had maybe already pulled a few guys aside, and went on to say that talk is great but cheap, and it will take more than one or two good efforts to convince him. That being said, we've all been fed some preseason honey before. Garth Vader springs to mind.

indoallstars
17-11-19, 02:36 PM
I did say previously that I wouldn't care if Sami left due to him being inconsistent and not good enough in kick returns, but booooyyy ohhh boyy do I like loyalty in a player, so if this is true it shows a bit more about the his character and hope he proves me wrong.

Bayside Titan
17-11-19, 02:48 PM
SPORT
Justin Holbrook opens up on bold move from UK champs to NRL battlers
Travis Meyn, The Courier-Mail
November 16, 2019 1:14pm
Subscriber only
Justin Holbrook is a former soft drink salesman who has gone from coaching the best team in the Super League to the worst team in the NRL – the Gold Coast Titans.

Holbrook has promised it is a fresh start for a club that won only four of 24 games in 2019, and in his first in-depth interview since joining the club, he tells TRAVIS MEYN he can see a light at the end tunnel ----

How did you get involved in rugby league?

I grew up in the Revesby area, which is in western Sydney – Canterbury Bulldogs territory. I was a Doggies fan growing up. I played my first year of rugby league in the under-7s with the Milperra Colts. The only reason I’m telling you that is because I played with Steve Price (former St George Illawarra coach), who ended up coaching Warrington in England. We coached the Challenge
Are you a career coach or did you ever hold a ‘normal’ job?

I played all sports growing up – I loved cricket, golf, surfing and footy. I started coaching as a captain-coach for the Dapto Canaries in the Wollongong competition. I worked with Schweppes soft drinks as a business manager in the licensed division looking after pubs and clubs. Before I went into coaching full-time, I finished at Coca-Cola looking after the golf clubs and pro shops for NSW. I got into coaching reserve grade at the Bulldogs in 2010-11 and won a couple of comps. I was coaching part-time while working. I enjoyed the commercial side of business. I loved coaching more and had to give up working in the end.

Holbrook played 17 games in the top grade. Picture: Gary Graham
Holbrook played 17 games in the top grade. Picture: Gary Graham
You played 17 first grade games for Newcastle, Penrith and the Roosters from 1999-2002. Do you reckon you were much of a player?

I was a halfback and played a lot of reserve grade – I was a reserve grade specialist. I had a couple of good first grade games and played with a lot of good players but wasn’t really a good one myself.

When did you decide to have a proper crack at coaching?

I was always a bit hesitant to leave my job (while coaching Canterbury reserves). I ended up coaching at the Dragons and Parramatta, then Trent (Robinson, Roosters coach) got me over as an assistant at the Roosters in 2015. I’d always loved coaching but I loved working as well. I knew it was going to take a while not having a player background, but I was okay with that. I thought if I could keep doing well in the lower grades it might lead to something.

Why did Trent pick you to join such a successful club?

I’m not sure. Trent had followed my coaching and had a vacancy. Two and a half years there was terrific for my coaching. I had always been a head coach and that was the first year I went in as an assistant and you don’t have to worry about a lot of stuff. You don’t have to do the pre-game, halftime, post-game talks. You don’t worry about away trips. It’s just about the detail of it. That was key for me. I got to learn the real details of the game.

Midway through 2017 you were appointed head coach of St Helens in the Super League. How did that come about?

It all happened so quick – we were halfway through the year at the Roosters. They weren’t doing well and parted ways with their coach Kieron Cunningham – one of the best players to ever play for St Helens. Their CEO flew to Sydney and I met with him. I had to speak to Trent as it was halfway through the year. He’d coached over there with Catalans and knew how important it was for himself. He was supportive of it, which was great.

Did you want to become a head coach again?

Even with the great learnings I had as an assistant, I missed being the head coach. I missed the things I said I didn’t have to do. You’re responsible for everyone. I always felt I would have to head coach somewhere (to prove myself). I might have got an NRL gig but you’re never sure. I thought if I was at another club I would have looked at it as Trent’s team and I’m an assistant. It was great for me to get over there. Not having a playing background, you’re never going to have fans and board members pushing for you. I wanted to get over there. I had two and a half great years there.

You won the Super League premiership this year following a remarkable season.

It was a great finish. We didn’t win the Challenge Cup which was tough but to finish winning Super League was awesome. We had the best season in the history of the game over there. We were 16 points clear of second spot. It’s an incredible level of consistency from the players to only lose three games all year. It was hard to leave. Everything was going so well and we enjoyed living there. I felt a lot better knowing I was leaving the club and town in a good spot.

Your success over there led to you getting the Titans job after Garth Brennan was sacked. How did you turn around St Helens?

They’ve always had a good club, they were just in a bad spot and needed a new direction to go in. I stripped it right back. What happens when you’re not playing well is you can tend to overcomplicate things and it gets worse and worse. I simplified it all and got back to two things. You need to work hard because if you don’t you won’t be any good. And enjoy what you do. You can’t do anything good if you don’t enjoy it. You’ve got to love it. I’ve always loved coaching and seeing players play well. The players bought into it.

Holbrook says he will strip things back at the Titans. Picture: Dave Hunt
Holbrook says he will strip things back at the Titans. Picture: Dave Hunt
You’ve gone from the best team in the Super League to the worst team in the NRL. What state are the Titans in after collecting the wooden spoon this year?

No one at the club is happy with the season. It’s a similar approach to St Helens. They’ve all got a fresh start, I don’t need to remind them they came last, they all know it. It’s about doing something about it now. We’re only halfway through our second week now but they’ve all come back in good nick. Dan Ferris (fitness coach) is really impressed with them compared to this time last year. That proves they want to do something about it. We’re here to help them. That’s what I want to instil. I want them to be better players, that’s our job as coaches. They’ve got to work hard all the time. I’ll create the environment where they want to come to training, that’s what it’s all about.

There is a perception that some Titans players have taken the club for a ride. Do you sense that?

That’s not for me to say. There is so much talk about the club and what’s wrong with it. I’ve addressed them. Regardless of what’s been said, it can be all perception and perception can become reality. They’ve got a fresh start and I’ll judge them on what I see. The early signs are good. They’ve taken their own initiative and I’ll make judgment over time. I’ve had meetings with them all and they’ve all said great things about what they want to do. Now it’s about seeing the evidence from them on the training field and delivering the standards every day, not just once or twice. It’s making it the norm and as staff we’ve got to create that. We’re all in it together.

Which players excite you?

You can see so much improvement in the younger guys like AJ Brimson and Phillip Sami. Tanah Boyd and Toby Sexton are in training and you can see they’re going to improve so much. Their improvement is awesome and their confidence goes up. Youth brings a lot of energy.

----

FAST FACTS

Family: Wife Nat, and four sons Harvey (10), Fletcher (8) and twins Deejay and Bodhi (both 6).

Playing career: 17 games for Newcastle, Penrith and Sydney (1999-2002).

Coaching career: Lower grades at Canterbury, Parramatta and St George Illawarra. Assistant coach to Trent Robinson at the Sydney Roosters (2015-17). Head coach of St Helens (2017-2019), winning the 2019 Super League premiership.

willhelm
17-11-19, 04:40 PM
Sounds great, though I'm a bit concerned he named his kids Deejay and Bodhi :laugh:

Toads
18-11-19, 07:57 AM
Glad to hear Sami has resigned. I expect him to flourish under Holbrook if Holbrook proves to be a decent coach. Tend to feel Sami's development may have stalled under Brennan's watch/rule.

BundyTitan
18-11-19, 10:39 AM
That's bloody awesome news to hear we are locking down Sami and to hear he turned down massive overs from the Tigers is superb. That's the sort of stuff where good culture is built from. Definitely agree Toads that Brennan seemed to have it out for Sami, so hopefully he improves in leaps and bounds under a coach who believes in him.

Now let's hope AJ and Arrow do the same, I'm confident about both but waiting to see before getting overly excited.

willhelm
18-11-19, 11:27 AM
That's bloody awesome news to hear we are locking down Sami and to hear he turned down massive overs from the Tigers is superb. That's the sort of stuff where good culture is built from. Definitely agree Toads that Brennan seemed to have it out for Sami, so hopefully he improves in leaps and bounds under a coach who believes in him.

Now let's hope AJ and Arrow do the same, I'm confident about both but waiting to see before getting overly excited.

Should've changed his name to Phillip Stockwell.

willhelm
18-11-19, 05:35 PM
Will be disgusted if Souths get salary cap relief for Burgess' medical retirement and then sign Arrow as a result. They knew about Burgess' history of shoulder problems and gambled on him anyway and lost. Salary cap relief would just be allowing them to offload the risk to other clubs which defeats the purpose of a salary cap.

-------------

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/rabbitohs/wag-holds-key-to-rabbitohs-securing-origin-star-jai-arrow/news-story/c3b726a6abdfe5808f07b6bea82e7d2e

South Sydney have confirmed they are eyeing off the signature of Queensland star Jai Arrow, and the trump card to the move may be Miss World Australia 2018, Taylah Cannon, the partner of the gun Titan.

With a possible war chest of around $3 million, South Sydney have made an approach to sign Queensland front-rower Jai Arrow.

Arrow’s partner Taylah Cannon, who was last year’s Miss World Australia, has told friends a move to Sydney could help her modelling career.

Now that Greg Inglis, John Sutton and Sam Burgess have retired — and George Burgess has shifted to Wigan — the Rabbitohs have money and are poised to have a crack at Arrow, who is off contract after next season.

Rabbitohs general manager of football, Shane Richardson, said his club had “an interest in Jai Arrow”.

Arrow, 24, didn’t re-sign before the NRL’s November 1 deadline and is testing the waters on the open market.

Six clubs are ready to pay the Gold Gold Titans and Queensland prop around $850,000 to $900,000 a season over four years. Many believe he will one day captain the Maroons.

Souths co-owner Russell Crowe is always prepared to use his considerable influence to secure a high-profile player but the Rabbitohs cannot make a formal offer until they know how much salary cap dispensation they will receive for the early retirement of Sam Burgess.

Arrow was born and bred on the Gold Coast and would prefer to re-sign with the club.

However, he has become frustrated over the Titans’ on-field struggles and wants to consistently play finals footy. A sense of loyalty means he will let the Gold Coast make the final offer.

“The club has made an inquiry about Jai Arrow through his manager but that’s all we have done at this stage, as we have done with a whole range of different players,’’ Richardson said.

“But we haven’t made an offer yet. Until we get a decision from the NRL (about Burgess) we can’t really move on anything.

“I haven’t spoken to Jai on the phone yet and neither has anyone else at the club, but I have spoken to his manager (David Riolo) about his availability from 2021 onwards.

“At this time, it is a very limited inquiry.”

Riolo was reluctant to discuss Arrow’s contract negotiations but did confirm strong interest in his client.

“Jai is a quality player and quality players are always going to attract a lot of interest in the market,” Riolo said.

“He will weigh everything up and look at all his options. He will work it out from there and probably (reach a decision) early in the New Year. Jai is a Gold Coast junior.”

Rivals clubs will want an answer on Arrow around Christmas-New Year so they can pursue other players if unsuccessful.

“Players who are going to cost between $500,000 to a $1 million a year are more likely to be approached earlier — and get done earlier — because interested clubs want to know whether they have them because it’s such big chunk out of their salary cap,” one manager said.

“And if you miss out, there may not be an equivalent player available. That would change a club’s direction.

“Clubs would want to now earlier rather than later what lies in store with current and future rep players.”

Mr Bods
18-11-19, 06:04 PM
I’m sure our offer will be comparable to the biggest offer. We will soon find out if he is going to be our local hero or if he’s a Bedwetter who cuts and runs looking for easy success.

I don’t buy this excuse about his wife and modelling. Models don’t work everyday and if a shoot comes up for her in Sydney, Melbourne, Vanuatu or wherever she can simply fly down for a few days and do the job and come home.

I don’t believe for a second that living here would cost her any opportunities in modelling.

I’ll be doubly appalled by Jai if he uses his Mrs as an excuse.

It’ll be a shocking vote of no confidence in Meninga and Holbrook if he cuts and runs.

Croc
18-11-19, 06:50 PM
I don’t get when they say they would prefer to resign with the club.. you got a reasonable offer on the table, then resign!! Otherwise don’t spit that crap out! I hope he stays, I like the bloke and his a good player! I think Brimson will stay, it’s a just a matter of when he resigns..

5 Year Contract
18-11-19, 08:35 PM
Glad to hear Sami has resigned. I expect him to flourish under Holbrook if Holbrook proves to be a decent coach. Tend to feel Sami's development may have stalled under Brennan's watch/rule.

I really hope you are right otherwise its just the same old problems with this club repeating. Nothing against Sami but he just hasnt come along as a player (Brennan may of been a factor) and we just seem to be wasting money in "what ifs". We arent in a position as a club to warrant players WANTING to come here and we certainly need to keep serviceable playing stocks in our backline but im hoping now we only keep players who have high potential. Now that may turn out to be Sami but I cant say ive seen anything more with the odd good game mixed with some absolute shockers. Obviously Hollbrook is keen to keep him so that gives me some faith that he see's Sami hitting his potential this year. The fact he turned down bigger offers to stay is music to my ears. Lets hope it shows on the field

Mexican titan
18-11-19, 09:08 PM
I really hope you are right otherwise its just the same old problems with this club repeating. Nothing against Sami but he just hasnt come along as a player (Brennan may of been a factor) and we just seem to be wasting money in "what ifs". We arent in a position as a club to warrant players WANTING to come here and we certainly need to keep serviceable playing stocks in our backline but im hoping now we only keep players who have high potential. Now that may turn out to be Sami but I cant say ive seen anything more with the odd good game mixed with some absolute shockers. Obviously Hollbrook is keen to keep him so that gives me some faith that he see's Sami hitting his potential this year. The fact he turned down bigger offers to stay is music to my ears. Lets hope it shows on the field

Pretty much summarised my views as well. Pretty average player if you ask me and never uses his size to try and bust the line. Seems to be living off "that Tackle" reputation wise. It shows we are having an average off season signing wise if we are getting excited over Sami signing.

As for Arrow, I'd like him to stay and be captain, but he loses a lot of credibility if he runs off after what he said about wanting to stay. He is getting offered huge money by us and even an extra $100k a year is nothing after tax. Don't use the missus as an excuse - it's ALWAYS about the money so I just prefer blokes to be upfront. As I've said before, if he leaves we might as well get the last one out to turn off the lights.

JunctionBlock
19-11-19, 12:14 PM
If I was to offer some perspective.... of the back line we have to choose from, I'm happy to re-sign him.

We have:
Don
Kelly
Copley
Watkins
Peachey
Pere
Spry

The only person I'd choose in this team before him is Kelly. Admittedly, players that have been on the market this year would be great but we have no cap for this year.

Mr Bods
19-11-19, 12:29 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/dloudon9/status/1196589741749067776

If you have Twitter could you reply to this please. We need numbers. I’m quite displeased that London who’s a Souffs supporter but is employed to cover us and gets to live and work here is pushing this angle.

Bayside Titan
19-11-19, 12:55 PM
From The Club Email

Dear

The fastest Titans player ever has been just as quick to commit his future to the Club, with winger Phillip Sami re-signing with the Gold Coast until the end of the 2022 season.

Sami was being chased by a number of rival Clubs after impressing in the first 42 games of his NRL career with the Titans.
His highlights so far include a hat-trick of tries against the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium in 2018, and his famous pursuit of Josh Add-Carr this season against Melbourne that earnt Sami the nickname “the Hound” because he chased down “the Foxx” – hitting a Titans record top speed of 35.9km/h in the process.

But the Ipswich junior said the chance to stay a part of the Titans’ resurgence under new coach Justin Holbrook, while staying close to family and friends on the Gold Coast made the decision to “stay home” at the Titans an easy choice.

“Obviously I had decisions to make in the off-season and the start of the pre-season,” Sami said. “I went back to the family, and they are very happy that I am staying home. I am very grateful for the opportunity that Justin has given me. Hopefully I can make the most of it here.

“On the off-season I had other clubs chasing me, and pretty much in the last two weeks my manager went back to the Titans – as in Ezra (Recruitment Manager Ezra Howe) and Justin – and told them the situation I was in.

“I was thankful that the Titans came back with an offer. For me, choosing to stay home is a big part of what I want to do here. I know this club has a big future, so I wanted to be a part of it.”

Sami said the chance to stay nestled in his off-field support network and remain with the Club he first represented in the Under-20s were most important to him.

“You have the plus side of having family here, and friends here that I have known for a long time,” he said. “So staying home was big part of my plans, and I am very grateful that the Titans gave me an opportunity to do that.”

Sami said he is now devoting his energy to making sure other Gold Coast juniors, like the off-contract AJ Brimson, follow his lead and stay with the Titans.

“I had a word with him about it, so hopefully he stays too,” Sami said.

Croc
19-11-19, 01:14 PM
I wasn’t too worried if he stayed or not.. he only really impressed me in a couple games this year, other times he lacks effort! Hopefully under some good coaching he can become consistent and play well

Bayside Titan
19-11-19, 02:11 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/dloudon9/status/1196589741749067776

If you have Twitter could you reply to this please. We need numbers. I’m quite displeased that London who’s a Souffs supporter but is employed to cover us and gets to live and work here is pushing this angle.

Not sure where you get Dominique is Pro Souths ? Tony Webke is however both reporters are Pro Titans as well.

Mr Bods
19-11-19, 02:14 PM
Not sure where you get Dominique is Pro Souths ? Tony Webke is however both reporters are Pro Titans as well.

I get it from reading their tweets. We need numbers here. Please reply to it and push our community.

Whats Doing
19-11-19, 03:54 PM
Interesting that Sami has mentioned to AJ to stay but no mention of Arrow. I might be reading too much into it but interesting

Bayside Titan
19-11-19, 06:00 PM
Interesting that Sami has mentioned to AJ to stay but no mention of Arrow. I might be reading too much into it but interesting

I feel that you might be right mate. Also may not be a popular opinion but if Arrow is gone then I feel he should go ASAP. Maybe a player swap with Eathan Lowe and Jaxson Paulo back.

Titslover
19-11-19, 07:24 PM
I'd probably put that down to him being best mates with AJ, they're the same age and came through at the same time. I was encouraged by both AJ and Jai sharing the photo about Sami's re-signing on their instagram accounts today and saying congrats. It might not seem like much, but I feel like Jai wouldn't publicise a team mate staying if he knows he is going to leave.

JunctionBlock
19-11-19, 08:29 PM
When Souths find out about whether or not they will get a salary cap exemption for Sam Burgess we will find out about Arrows future.

teke
19-11-19, 08:50 PM
Grew up with Tony Webeck from kindy to yr 12 in Coffs, him and his family are nice ppl and big Bunny fans.

No idea why the club would pull the trigger on signing Sami when the coach hasnt even seen him play a single game. If he has signed him because of 2019 footage then this is a problem

Mexican titan
19-11-19, 08:58 PM
Grew up with Tony Webeck from kindy to yr 12 in Coffs, him and his family are nice ppl and big Bunny fans.

No idea why the club would pull the trigger on signing Sami when the coach hasnt even seen him play a single game. If he has signed him because of 2019 footage then this is a problem

I thought of you Teke when I saw him described in the article above, as the fastest Titans player ever. I thought Meady would have lapped him and I would have thought we have had many faster than him. Yeah he caught the Fox but I wouldn't have thought he was as quick as him either. The Fox must have been exhausted from his hit ups and other stuff, surely.

Whats Doing
20-11-19, 02:40 AM
Not sure why Souths would spend so much money on Arrow when they already have Murray who is better value. I think lock is probably the best position for Arrow so if they want to pay overs let them. I don’t think Arrow is more than what we have offered so I wouldn’t be breaking the bank for him.

teke
20-11-19, 03:10 AM
I thought of you Teke when I saw him described in the article above, as the fastest Titans player ever. I thought Meady would have lapped him and I would have thought we have had many faster than him. Yeah he caught the Fox but I wouldn't have thought he was as quick as him either. The Fox must have been exhausted from his hit ups and other stuff, surely.Fastest titan ever :laugh: Maybe top 20, maybe. Meady would beat him right now. Fox was exhausted. Titans have had some bloody quick players at various stages in their careers.

Toads
20-11-19, 09:34 AM
They'd be some interesting stats to see..

BundyTitan
20-11-19, 09:52 AM
Geez you Manly blokes love to be negative don’t you :laugh:

“In round 23 of the 2019 NRL season, Sami set a new record for the fastest Gold Coast Titans player in history by running 35.9km/hr in a chase-down of Josh Addo-Carr.”
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/27/foxx-catcher-sami-can-get-even-faster-in-2020/

Of course it’s hard to tell as there’s no stats on Mead or Kev Gordon’s top speeds but “Addo Carr was tired”??? PLEEEEAAASSEE give it a break

- - - Updated - - -

For the record of course Sami has a lot to work on in his game consistency and defence wise. But he’s usually over 100 running metres, he’s just about our only back with speed and he knows how to find the line. And his chase last year plus turning down massive overs shows just how much he loves the club and I don’t know about you but those are the sort of players I want at our club. So you can’t blame people for getting excited with his re-signing.

Mexican titan
20-11-19, 10:12 AM
^^^
I hadn't read anywhere that he turned down massive overs to stay. All I gathered is that other clubs wanted him and that obviously would have given him job security. The Titans have now offered that.
I would be staggered if he was as quick as Mead, Gordon or a few others and until the Fox tackle I don't recall anyone thinking he was a "flyer".
Anyway, certainly not my intention to belittle him at all and as you say, a bloke with loyalty can only be a good thing.

BundyTitan
20-11-19, 10:30 AM
^^^
I hadn't read anywhere that he turned down massive overs to stay. All I gathered is that other clubs wanted him and that obviously would have given him job security. The Titans have now offered that.
I would be staggered if he was as quick as Mead, Gordon or a few others and until the Fox tackle I don't recall anyone thinking he was a "flyer".
Anyway, certainly not my intention to belittle him at all and as you say, a bloke with loyalty can only be a good thing.

Nah all good MT I know you mean well, but just laugh when people say that in the chase down "The Fox was tired". He may have been fatigued but Sami would have been too considering it was 70 odd minutes into the game. Plus the 35km/h is a bloody good effort and is only 1km/h slower than Jimmy the Jet and 2km/h slower than Addo-Carr's top speed of 37km/h. Meady and Kev Gordon were both bloody quick no doubt but without exact stats we can't be sure how they rate compared to Sami.

I think it's an amazing re-signing. He's not God or the best winger in the league but he would be on little coin and is the best winger we currently have.

JunctionBlock
20-11-19, 11:26 AM
https://twitter.com/nrl/status/1165760899048792070?lang=en

He mightn't be the fastest Titans ever purely on speculation but he also doesn't hold the record for fastest stabbing at a church dance either. Hahahaha

Bayside Titan
20-11-19, 01:34 PM
Should Arrow go else where who do you think that the club should approach? I’ve looked at Zero Tackle and there is nothing around that gets me excited.

willhelm
20-11-19, 01:51 PM
Should Arrow go else where who do you think that the club should approach? I’ve looked at Zero Tackle and there is nothing around that gets me excited.

No one. Assuming we can’t offload Boyd and end up playing him from the bench, I’d like to see James move to lock with Mo and Wallace starting props. Spend the Arrow money on another position as we have a surplus prop anyway due to the Boyd/Wallace debacle.

JunctionBlock
20-11-19, 02:37 PM
I'd move Whitbread into lock.

NZFan
20-11-19, 02:42 PM
No one. Assuming we can’t offload Boyd and end up playing him from the bench, I’d like to see James move to lock with Mo and Wallace starting props. Spend the Arrow money on another position as we have a surplus prop anyway due to the Boyd/Wallace debacle.

Agreed. I don’t know about James going to lock as he doesn’t seem to have the lateral movement that he used to but I think that we should be consolidating our cap before we make any more major recruitment decisions. We are far too weighted in the forwards at the moment. I think that Latu could potentially play lock as well if need be. He has a bit more ball playing ability than any of our front rowers but that would depend on him impressing the new coach.

For the record I think Arrow will stay. I don’t buy into the Sydney media that are printing stories purely because they have talked to his partners employer. He’s got the chance to do something special at the Titans but probably just wants to see how things pan out under the new coaching staff.

willhelm
20-11-19, 02:46 PM

That’s a decent idea too

Bayside Titan
20-11-19, 03:16 PM

Not a bad idea mate..... he could develop into a solid lock....maybe the style of lock that tackles all day and handy for a hit up or two.....mmmmmm pitty we don't have Max King at our disposal.....

I know we have Hipgrave as well but I worry he is too loose in defence and injury prone??

mdrew do you think Farmer could be a Lock ?? Thoughts on Whitbread at lock ??

lonegull
20-11-19, 03:25 PM
Not a bad idea mate..... he could develop into a solid lock....maybe the style of lock that tackles all day and handy for a hit up or two.....mmmmmm pitty we don't have Max King at our disposal.....

I know we have Hipgrave as well but I worry he is too loose in defence and injury prone??

Whitbread makes a lot of sense, I think farmer is a through and through edge forward so I just cant see him as anything else but a bloody good edge forward who will surprise quiet a few when he comes into scene

mdrew
20-11-19, 03:40 PM
Whitebread’s best position is definitely lock but for me Farmer should stay at right second row mate

willhelm
20-11-19, 04:06 PM
Whitebread’s best position is definitely lock but for me Farmer should stay at right second row mate

Can Farmer play left side? I can’t see Proctor being shifted.

GCTTSD
20-11-19, 04:15 PM
I noticed proctor played left edge backrow for one of the kiwis test matches so maybe he could shift to the left for us

Sunny86
20-11-19, 05:37 PM

Funny you should say that he covered lock in a Agrade game for Burleigh and loved it but he’s a second rower

NZFan
20-11-19, 06:19 PM
I noticed proctor played left edge backrow for one of the kiwis test matches so maybe he could shift to the left for us

I've been wanting this shift to happen for a long time. He's one of our best defensively and our left edge always leaks points. I'm sure it would help Kelly's defensive game immensely. Also he's been struggling in attack so why not give somebody else a go there? Cartwright actually looked alright when he got the opportunity on that side and we run a lot of attack down that edge

Sunny86
20-11-19, 06:28 PM
Can Farmer play left side? I can’t see Proctor being shifted.

He can play left

T0ken
20-11-19, 06:54 PM
Rivals circle but Brimson targets long-term stint as Titans fullback

AJ Brimson has set his sights on making the Titans fullback position his own long term as he finetunes skills under the guidance of Michael Gordon, the man he is set to replace.

The 21-year-old, who has also played in the halves in his 36 NRL games, had an extended run at fullback last season when Gordon was injured and regards the role as his best position.

Gordon, now retired, is back at the Titans as a development coach where he is assisting the back five with their skills.

Brimson is off contract at the end of 2020 and other clubs have expressed interest to his manager Jim Banaghan. Brimson, who went to school on the Gold Coast at league powerhouse Keebra Park High, said he wanted to stay at the Titans and has instructed Banaghan to make an extension his first option.

"At the moment I’m doing some work at fullback more so than the halves so it is up to me to make that my position my own. It is up for the taking," Brimson said.

"I am working with [Gordon] fairly closely. My main goal is to be fullback in round one."

As for his next deal, Brimson is in no hurry but made his priority clear.

"My manager is working on it at the moment. I am having regular chats with him but he knows that I have got family here and my main intention is to stay on the Coast," Brimson said.

Five key match-ups of the Titans' 2020 draw

"I think we will come to the right decision. Gold Coast is home for me and that is the main priority at the moment."

Titans captain Ryan James said the club wanted Brimson to be a player who started and finished his career on the Gold Coast.

James believes fullback is Brimson’s best position and said the time he'd spent in the halves, where he worked on his passing skills, would only enhance his potency at the back.

"There are fullbacks like Darius Boyd that made a career out of throwing that short ball/long ball … and that ball out the back that nine times out of 10 hits the winger on the chest for a try," James told NRL.com.

"Combine those ball skills AJ learned in the halves, which he is still working on, with his explosive speed and he can add even more to that role because opponents are afraid of his running game.

"He is the quickest at our club over 20 and 40 metres and I wouldn’t be surprised if he is the quickest in the entire NRL. You just don’t want someone at his pace coming at you who also has ball skills so if he can put it all together it will be the perfect mixture and definitely be his position."

James said Brimson had the perfect opportunity to fast-track his development with Gordon on staff.

"The fullback has to talk the players into the game and pretty much play the key role with the halves to keep the defensive line tight," James said.

"The best fullbacks in the world like Tedesco are excellent at those things and always in the right spot at the right time. AJ is a great young fullback but he has a lot to learn, and he knows that and is working on it every day.
AJ Brimson and Titans teammate Kea Pere encouraged Schoolies revellers to make the right choices with DrinkWise.
AJ Brimson and Titans teammate Kea Pere encouraged Schoolies revellers to make the right choices with DrinkWise. ©titans.com.au

"That is why it is great to have Flash [Gordon] on board to show him all those little things. Flash played more than 250 games and is a pretty good person to learn off."

On Wednesday Brimson was part of a Titans promotion with DrinkWise and Red Frogs, an organisation that helps young people make good life choices, at Schoolies at Surfers Paradise where he handed out water and spoke to school leavers about responsible drinking and making the occasion one to remember for the right reasons.

"You can drink and have fun but don’t do it irresponsibly, and look after your mates," Brimson said.

~~How good is some loyalty!

Whats Doing
20-11-19, 08:25 PM
Sami, AJ has shown the type of player we want at the Titans. Now it is time for Arrow to follow suit and show the type of character he is

Upthetits
20-11-19, 09:14 PM
I've been wanting this shift to happen for a long time. He's one of our best defensively and our left edge always leaks points. I'm sure it would help Kelly's defensive game immensely. Also he's been struggling in attack so why not give somebody else a go there? Cartwright actually looked alright when he got the opportunity on that side and we run a lot of attack down that edge

Couldnt agree more

Titanic
21-11-19, 12:49 AM
Taylor running off Cartwright instead of trying to punch Cokie into holes sounds a lot better.

gotitans101_
21-11-19, 03:34 AM
Jim Banaghan is Brimson's manager? That can only be a good thing, imo.

Bayside Titan
21-11-19, 08:04 AM

Thanks as always mdrew.

jacksonm
22-11-19, 09:15 PM
Reading the play on twitter claims Arrow to the Bunnies is close

Bayside Titan
22-11-19, 11:00 PM
Reading the play on twitter claims Arrow to the Bunnies is close

Won’t be surprised if he does sign with them. Sami pretty much let the cat out of the bag the other day in saying that he would talk AJ in staying. Send him there for 2020 so we can move on. I like Arrow but if he does sign I see no point in him staying for the Titans rebuild.

gotitans101_
23-11-19, 12:09 AM
so we lose arrow and we have no lock

cool

gotitans101_
23-11-19, 01:35 AM
now that I think about it, as if Arrow won't go play for Souths under Bennett.

All respect I once had for Arrow now gone.

NZFan
23-11-19, 08:48 AM
now that I think about it, as if Arrow won't go play for Souths under Bennett.

All respect I once had for Arrow now gone.

He hasn't signed there yet mate. Twitter doesn't know anything, it's all speculation. He's a GC kid I'm sure the lure of playing for his home town is far more appealing than playing for an old washed up coach. Remember he's already walked out on Bennett because he wouldn't play him.

BundyTitan
23-11-19, 09:18 AM
Plus I don't really understand the Arrow to Souths talk, considering they have one of the best locks in the game in Cam Murray there already. Surely with us having a more than competitive offer he would stick around even for a couple of years before hitting the market again. Guess we shall see.

willhelm
23-11-19, 09:44 AM
Plus I don't really understand the Arrow to Souths talk, considering they have one of the best locks in the game in Cam Murray there already. Surely with us having a more than competitive offer he would stick around even for a couple of years before hitting the market again. Guess we shall see.

Arrow can play prop which is a position Souths are quite weak in

Whats Doing
23-11-19, 10:18 AM
Arrow would be a very small front rower and that money talked about would be crazy as he will play less minutes.

5 Year Contract
23-11-19, 11:07 AM
I would hate to lose Arrow but whatever will be will be at this stage. If he does I am extremely curious to see the reaction from the club. As others have said if he goes then we work with what we have. We CANNOT do what we have done in the past and just throw a stupid contract at whoever is available. Same goes for trying to retain players. If you want to bring a replacement then it needs to be a signing like when we originally got Arrow (him leaving after we gave him a shot and he really became a superstar while playing for the titans really annoys me...james roberts anyone) and bring in a player with upside who might not be getting the playing minutes at another club.

TLDR: if arrow goes we wait for the RIGHT player not throw a big contract at a proctor and end up with someone who will never live up to the dollars they signed for.

jacksonm
23-11-19, 11:53 AM
Many teams following the a Raiders lead in smaller more mobile packs- Arrow fits that
and did a good job playing in the front row for QLD

Titanic
23-11-19, 12:37 PM
Yes Arrow’s motor buys him a big contract as a middle forward. I want him to stay for his other attributes such as young, local and clean skin but he’s not indispensable on field, imho. Whitbread and others can do that job too, maybe not as well but adequately. I think assembling a group who will buy into the Titans culture (whatever the coach thinks that is) and play for each other is more important at our stage than star power.

willhelm
23-11-19, 01:11 PM
Arrow would be a very small front rower and that money talked about would be crazy as he will play less minutes.

They have Tatola and Tom Burgess for big boppers. Unfortunately, I think Arrow would complement their pack very well.

JunctionBlock
23-11-19, 05:17 PM
Well, if it is the case, use and abuse him next season till he breaks or breaks out for us.

BundyTitan
23-11-19, 09:54 PM
According to the Courier Mail, John Asiata from the Cowboys was seen touring Titans facilities

Titanic
23-11-19, 10:19 PM
Really like Asiata.

BundyTitan
23-11-19, 10:52 PM
Really like Asiata.

Yep with you there Titanic. Reckon he would be a really good buy and shouldn’t break the bank. My only worry is that I hope it’s not because the club knows what’s coming with Arrow...

willhelm
24-11-19, 06:59 AM
Yep with you there Titanic. Reckon he would be a really good buy and shouldn’t break the bank. My only worry is that I hope it’s not because the club knows what’s coming with Arrow...

I suspect that’s exactly the issue

Titanic
24-11-19, 12:45 PM
Im ok with a ball playing middle against a meter eater.

JunctionBlock
24-11-19, 02:42 PM
Titans coach Justin Holbrook makes first move with Cowboys enforcer John Asiata
Travis Meyn and Peter Badel, The Sunday Mail (Qld)
November 23, 2019 8:37pm
Subscriber only

Titans coach Justin Holbrook has set his first recruitment target after meeting with North Queensland’s NRL premiership-winning prop John Asiata.

The Sunday Mail can reveal Asiata toured the Titans’ high performance centre on the Gold Coast this week.

The 2015 premiership winner is off-contract at the end of next season and has started assessing his future.

Asiata, 26, has played 117 NRL games for the Cowboys since debuting in 2014 under coach Paul Green, who previously worked with him at the Roosters.

Asiata’s manager, Chris Orr, confirmed the Tongan and Samoan international met with the Titans.

“It is early days and Johnny was on the Gold Coast with family so it was a great opportunity to meet the Titans whilst he was here,” Orr said.

“The Titans presented a very professional presentation to John which will certainly give him plenty to think about.”

Asiata hails from western Sydney and came through the Roosters’ lower grades.

He was one of Green’s first signings when he took over the reins of the Cowboys and played six games in his debut season.

Asiata played 25 games in North Queensland’s historic 2015 premiership season and came off the bench in the Cowboys’ extra-time grand final victory against Brisbane.

A talented ball-player, Asiata made 12 appearances in the halves for the Cowboys last season.

Asiata played two Tests for Samoa in 2016-17 before switching allegiances to Tonga this year.

Holbrook is looking for ways to bolster his squad after the Titans claimed the wooden spoon last season under former coach Garth Brennan.

The future of poorly-performing prop Shannon Boyd has come under the microscope, but Holbrook this week insisted the ex-Kangaroos front rower was part of his plans.

Asiata is contracted to the Cowboys for 2020 and it appears unlikely he would make an immediate move to the Gold Coast following the retirement of North Queensland legend Matt Scott.

However the NRL player market is in full swing and the Titans need to add four players to their top squad before March 1.

Mexican titan
24-11-19, 03:53 PM

If we lose Arrow and sign Asiata, it's one step forward and two steps back. Just hopeless if we lose blokes like Arrow.

Sunny86
24-11-19, 05:54 PM
If arrow is after more money the titains haven’t got a hope in keeping him

willhelm
24-11-19, 06:29 PM
If we lose Arrow and sign Asiata, it's one step forward and two steps back. Just hopeless if we lose blokes like Arrow.

What if we refuse 900 for Arrow, sign Asiata for 400-500, then use the leftovers to go for a shiny new centre or winger?

indoallstars
24-11-19, 06:58 PM
We've offered arrow a very decent offer and if he doesn't take it we all knows his hearts not with the club. Every year there is a bunch of new guns which breakout at least we will have some funds free to tie some of them up.

Dobes
24-11-19, 09:37 PM
Boyd seven kilos lighter and ready to return to Test form

Titans prop Shannon Boyd returned to pre-season training seven kilos lighter than last year as he targets returning to the form that led to him representing Australia in 2016.

The 27-year-old is on track to be fit for round one next year after undergoing a major shoulder reconstruction in the wake of an injury suffered in the round 17 clash with Penrith.

Boyd is in the midst of a six-to-eight-month recovery period where he has kept himself in top shape and will be back doing contact work in mid-January.

"I was seven kilos lighter this year when I came back for day one training compared to last year. This year I was around 125 kilos whereas last year I was 132," he told NRL.com.

"I've watched what I've been eating and when I went back to the [family] farm in Cowra I did a bit of work and trained more than I usually would. I am running a lot better at training and feeling really good.

"Obviously you want to play your best and I think the best footy I played was in 2016. I have played well in games since and been where I wanted to be but I have been too inconsistent. I want to play good consistent footy next year and enjoy it."

Five key match-ups of the Titans' 2020 draw
In the trial game against the Broncos on the Gold Coast this year Boyd was on fire in the opening 20 minutes with his fierce charges and quick play-the-balls the catalyst for the Titans leading 18-0 early. He them came off with a dislocated thumb and the Broncos fought back to win the game. Boyd struggled to replicate that kind of form in the 13 NRL games he played for the Gold Coast in 2019.

It is the kind of football played by giant Melbourne prop Nelson Asofa-Solomona that Boyd wants to replicate in 2020.

"We have guys like Jai Arrow, Jai Whitbread and Moeaki [Fotuaika] who can all play big-minutes but I still think there is a place for us big boys in the game," Boyd said.

"You look at big Nelson [Asofa-Solomona] and he might only play 40 minutes but he runs big metres and is very effective. That is what I need to get back to with the big carries, quick play-the-balls and being more aggressive in defence as well. All of that can turn momentum in games."

Titans captain Ryan James has no doubt Boyd has put himself in position to play at his best next year.

"Shannon Boyd at his best played for Australia and that is the form we want him to get back to," James told NRL.com.

"He is just one of those players who adds the intimidation factor when he is fit and healthy. The shoulder injury last season didn't help but he has cut back a fair bit of weight and everything is in place for him to be fit for round one

"In the first couple of weeks of training he has probably trained the hardest of all of us and is getting the kilometres back in his legs running up and down the sideline."

Boyd said he had embraced the training of new head coach Justin Holbrook and was also enjoying working with assistant coach Jim Dymock. The penny has well and truly dropped with the players that last season's wooden spoon finish cannot be repeated.

"The way that Justin has approached everything has been really positive and there is a lot better attitude around the place," Boyd said.

"There is no whinging or complaining about things. Everyone is buying in and it is good to see. Everyone is really hungry after last season and the club is at that point where we have to do well.

"I like Justin's approach. He is not trying to be over-the-top. It is all about the basics and fundamentals. Last year we had so many errors and that is why we lost so many games. The little details he has brought in I think will be a big help for us. The field sessions seems to be running a lot crisper.

"Jim Dymock has been really good. His structures are simple but work well and that is going to help with our defence."

ja4220
24-11-19, 09:43 PM
We've offered arrow a very decent offer and if he doesn't take it we all knows his hearts not with the club. Every year there is a bunch of new guns which breakout at least we will have some funds free to tie some of them up.

Been my point since the whole “Arrow wants to test the market”. We’ve made an offer, we need the conviction to stick by our assessment. If we lose him, so be it. We will have had three years of a Origin player at a bargain basement rate!

Titanic Believer
24-11-19, 11:21 PM
What's this about us going after Mitchell? Courier Mail.

Dobes
25-11-19, 01:47 AM
From the Daily Telegraph:

NRL battlers Gold Coast Titans join two-way fight for Latrell Mitchell

This is the decision that could make or break Latrell Mitchell’s career on and off the field: Would you bank your footballing future on the Wests Tigers or the NRL basket case that is the Gold Coast?

The Titans are now the Tigers’ greatest threat in the race for one of the NRL’s most naturally gifted yet enigmatic young stars.

The Tigers have tabled an offer for three years starting in 2021.

But that deal essentially runs for four years from next season providing Mitchell is granted an immediate release from the Sydney Roosters, as expected.

The Tigers’ offer is said to be in the ballpark of $1 million a season.

They also have a genuine belief their club can not only help take Mitchell’s football but his life off the field to the next level during that term.

Given Mitchell is now at the crossroads after being dumped from the NSW State of Origin team this year before the Sydney Roosters grew tired of his antics, the Tigers are convinced they could be as good for him as he could be for them.

Not only would Mitchell be guaranteed the chance to own the fullback position, but the Tigers’ standing within the Sydney community is viewed as a far more powerful proposition than the Titans to elevate Mitchell’s off-field profile.

While the Tigers are yet to put a deadline on negotiations, a final decision is expected this week.

There does remain a genuine concern from within the Tigers that South Sydney could still emerge as a shock late contender for Mitchell.

It is understood the Tigers have only had one face-to-face meeting with Mitchell where coach Michael Maguire, chief executive Justin Pascoe and general manager of football Adam Hartigan put forward their pitch.

Upthetits
25-11-19, 05:52 AM
I dont know if hes worth what hes asking, dont think we need him

Mr Bods
25-11-19, 06:13 AM
Who wrote that article?

Whats Doing
25-11-19, 06:17 AM
Who wrote that article?

Paul Crawley

Croc
25-11-19, 06:46 AM
Must have something really against us to call the club a basket case.. I don’t see any quotes from anyone from the titans or anything.. seems like a made up story to me.. we don’t have the money for next season, even though his contracted to the roosters for another year, I’m sure he wants out ASAP.. plus we have brimson as fb.. I honestly think it’s a made up story and someone from the titans must of butt hurt him so he needed to have a dig at us and make up crap

Mr Bods
25-11-19, 08:10 AM
Paul Crawley

Thanks. What a scum bag. Easy to make spiteful comments like that down in Sydney about us. What a despicable thing to say given the work and money poured in by Darryl and Bec and the staff in recent years.

willhelm
25-11-19, 08:30 AM
Yeah I’m not buying this Latrell rumour

NZFan
25-11-19, 08:45 AM
Yeah I’m not buying this Latrell rumour

It's not even a rumour is it? It's one journo's opinion based on nothing. I would be great if the club did something about it and announced that they were considering filing a defamatory case against the CM or something. They wouldn't have to go through with it but it would make headlines and send a message to these people that this sort of journalism isn't tolerated.

Latrell Mitchell is the exact opposite of the type of player that we want here.

willhelm
25-11-19, 09:02 AM
It's not even a rumour is it? It's one journo's opinion based on nothing. I would be great if the club did something about it and announced that they were considering filing a defamatory case against the CM or something. They wouldn't have to go through with it but it would make headlines and send a message to these people that this sort of journalism isn't tolerated.

Latrell Mitchell is the exact opposite of the type of player that we want here.

Yeah, didn't know what else to call it. Clickbait?

Bit rough on Latrell to file a defamation case for misreporting that we want to sign him lol.

Bayside Titan
25-11-19, 09:17 AM
The difference in the two latest articles. John Asiata toured our facilities and has his manager on record. The Latrell article - a Hail Mary “From Staff Writers “ at Fox and Crawley with no factual link to the Titans other than a line Meninga said a while back stating that we will target a marquee signing.

Also agree Mitchell is not the player we want here at this stage.

NZFan
25-11-19, 09:36 AM
Also back on the Asiata thing. Assuming Arrow stays (I know a lot of people have doubts but lets say he does), where do we see Asiata fitting in? We have James and Wallace starting at prop and Mo off the bench which really leaves one more front row option on the bench. Holbrook has made it clear that Boyd is staying so you'd ave to assume that is his spot or does Asiata get the nod ahead of him? I think Peachey has to play 14 next year and Cartwright would have to have inside running on the final bench spot. The reason why I ask is if we replace Boyd with Asiata we have three 'ballplayers' on the bench but very little go forward apart from Mo. I like Asiata as a player but I'm just wondering how he fits in with the balance of our squad.

JunctionBlock
25-11-19, 10:51 AM
I think the article serves us as well as it serves Lattrells cause. Might give AJ a hurry up too.

In saying that I can't think of a time where we signed a centre with mental health problems to a marquee deal that backfired.

NZFan, Asiata would be a 2021 signing. No Jai., Hipgrave, James, Latu, Proctor and Stone all off contract and the opportunity to shop the cartwrights, peacheys to superleague in their last year with us.

willhelm
25-11-19, 12:09 PM
Also back on the Asiata thing. Assuming Arrow stays (I know a lot of people have doubts but lets say he does), where do we see Asiata fitting in? We have James and Wallace starting at prop and Mo off the bench which really leaves one more front row option on the bench. Holbrook has made it clear that Boyd is staying so you'd ave to assume that is his spot or does Asiata get the nod ahead of him? I think Peachey has to play 14 next year and Cartwright would have to have inside running on the final bench spot. The reason why I ask is if we replace Boyd with Asiata we have three 'ballplayers' on the bench but very little go forward apart from Mo. I like Asiata as a player but I'm just wondering how he fits in with the balance of our squad.

I wonder if he could play a G Bird/W Graham/G Stewart role in the second row.

Whats Doing
25-11-19, 01:15 PM
There is a link with the journo and Brennan. The journo is coach Mick Crawley brother who is friends with Brennan. I also recall that Crawley was supporting Brennan to become the Titans coach

Mr Bods
25-11-19, 02:31 PM
Good stuff AJ signing a new contract
Titan till end of 2022

Now for Arrow...

Titslover
25-11-19, 02:32 PM
AJ Officially re-signed until the end of 2022. Great to see the loyalty, time for Jai to follow

BundyTitan
25-11-19, 02:38 PM
Absolutely fantastic news. AJ is electric and probably our biggest strike weapon, definitely has to be our full time fullback. Still has a lot to work on (positioning, ball playing etc) but having Mick there should help iron out some of that.

Bayside Titan
25-11-19, 02:52 PM
Email from club.

Dear

Gold Coast junior and Australian Nines representative AJ Brimson has delivered another show of faith in the Titans’ future by re-signing with the Club until the end of the 2022 season.

One of the most in-demand young players in the game, Brimson recently represented Australia at the World Nines tournament in Sydney, as well as the Junior Kangaroos in their international against France.

Titans Head Coach Justin Holbrook said Brimson’s retention was an important step forward for the Club.

“It is terrific news that AJ will be with us again until the end of 2022,” Holbrook said. “AJ is a perfect example of the Titans production line in action – a local junior who came through the Club’s development system to play NRL in his hometown.

“AJ’s story is not unique to the Club, because we are lucky to have a lot of local juniors here who have followed that path.

“But certainly AJ is another example of the template that we will use to take the Titans forward on the back of the best talent produced in the Gold Coast and Northern Rivers region.

“AJ is an exceptional young player as we all know, highlighted by the fact he is now on the radar of representative selectors.

"But importantly he is also an impressive young man, and a quality human being who has a passion for this club and his community.”

After the retirement of Michael Gordon, Brimson is looking to establish himself as the Titans’ first-choice fullback in 2020.

The 21-year-old is a product of Keebra Park State High School. After making his debut for the Club in Round 10 of 2018, Brimson now has 36 NRL games to his credit.

willhelm
25-11-19, 02:55 PM
Oh hell yeah AJ

DIEHARD
25-11-19, 03:22 PM
I'm just so delighted that AJ has signed. It is a show of faith that resonates through the community. It'd be heartbreaking to see him leave. He is the type of player we can build a club on and that will win games and bring people through the gate. The player kids want to aspire to. Just like Prince and Presto used to be Titan icons.

Titanic
25-11-19, 05:30 PM
So let’s not put too much expectation on him and let him develop naturally ... he is probably two seasons away from his best.

indoallstars
25-11-19, 10:45 PM
Aj is our boy! I was impressed when I first saw his electric attack, then I noticed how he always puts his body on the line for such a small fella too....best off season news I've heard

JunctionBlock
26-11-19, 10:00 AM
So much for it being a rumour......

Why Latrell Mitchell should sign with Gold Coast Titans, not Wests Tigers
Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
November 26, 2019 9:52am
Subscriber only

The fight for Latrell Mitchell just got personal with Mal Meninga boldly declaring how he can help the out-of-favour Sydney Rooster reach his full potential as a footballer and an indigenous leader at the Gold Coast.

It follows The Daily Telegraph’s revelation that the Titans had now emerged as the Wests Tigers’ greatest threat to sign the two-time premiership-winning centre who wants to play fullback.

While Meninga couldn’t promise Mitchell would immediately wear the No.1 jumper at Gold Coast, he was passionate about how he could influence his future development.

“I think I can offer that guidance but Latrell needs to work out what he wants to do in life,” Meninga, the Titans’ head of culture and performance, said.

“I don’t know about parallel lives, but I understand where he is at in life as a 22-year-old with that profile. I believe I can help him.”

Australia’s Test coach also conceded that he had already had a telephone conversation with Mitchell and was anticipating a face-to-face meeting this week with new coach Justin Holbrook.

Holbrook also has an established relationship with Mitchell from their days together at the Roosters when the Titans coach was working under Trent Robinson.

The Tigers were expecting that Mitchell would make a decision on his future at some stage this week but this latest development could leave them hanging.

“We are interested, absolutely,” Meninga said. We want to get him up and have a chat to him. I’ve had a little chat with him.

“I just wanted to know if he was interested or not. He said, ‘Yeah, we will come up and have a yarn’.”

The rugby league Immortal explained: “I think I could provide him with a lot of help and guidance, just from my own experiences as a player and as a young person.

“I mean, he hasn’t peaked as a young fella, he is still finding his feet. He probably doesn’t quite know where he is in life at the moment.

“He has a bit of growing up to do maturity-wise and obviously with his footy that coincides with his maturity as a person. He is only 22 years of age. There is a lot in front of him.

“He would be a great acquisition for a club that was willing to put the time and effort into him.

“In the short term you are going to have your ups and downs and your bumps and bruises.

“But long term, particularly if he wants to work hard and reach his potential, there is a lot of upside.”

Part of the strength of the Tigers’ offer is a guarantee that Mitchell would play fullback.

Meninga stressed that decision at the Titans would be made by Holbrook but he believes Mitchell’s best position was still centre.

“With Latrell growing as a man and as a footy player I think fullback will become his position but at the moment my thoughts is that he is a centre and a damn good one.”

While Meninga conceded the Titans would struggle to fit Mitchell into their salary cap for the 2020 season as it stands that was not to say a deal could not be worked out.

Mitchell does have a contract with the Roosters for 2020 but Trent Robinson has already stated that the Roosters have moved on.

The Titans have a stack of players coming off contract at the end of next season but as everyone knows the NRL player transfer market is always a moving beast.

“To be honest I am not quite sure what the Roosters want to do and what Latrell wants to do,” Meninga added.

“It is like anything, if there is interest we will meet with them and see what we can do.”

**END**

Meninga is officially out of his mind. How about getting some runs on the board with turning around the $1 million dollar indigenous flop on our team at the moment. Why would you add another one.

gotitans101_
26-11-19, 10:32 AM
Please don't sign this moron.

**** off Mal.

Croc
26-11-19, 10:32 AM
I don’t see Latrell being a flop.. his made origin and Australian squad and is only young.. I think it could be a good buy if we can manage to get him but I don’t see it happening.. Taylor hasn’t made the origin or Aus team and Mitchell already has a couple premierships to his name aswell.. I don’t think we should pay a mill for him or anything but at the right price could be a good buy.. better then all the centres we have atm

Sunny86
26-11-19, 10:40 AM
He won’t come he wants to be a fullback

Mr Bods
26-11-19, 11:02 AM
This is so typical of our never learn from mistakes recruitment policy

Titslover
26-11-19, 11:16 AM
It seems like he's pretty much a done deal with the Tigers and could even get announced today, this could just be Mal forcing the Tigers to fork out more for him.

Boonarga
26-11-19, 11:26 AM
Mitchell? Didn't we learn from Idris not to sign lazy sods?
As for Boyd, that just reminds me of all the hype we heard about Taylor before this season. Fitter, faster, stronger. That worked out well.

JunctionBlock
26-11-19, 11:30 AM
He won’t come he wants to be a fullback

Lets not forget, Mal sees AJ as a utility.

willhelm
26-11-19, 12:23 PM
It seems like he's pretty much a done deal with the Tigers and could even get announced today, this could just be Mal forcing the Tigers to fork out more for him.

I agree. This is just mind games. He will sign with the Tigers.

Bayside Titan
26-11-19, 02:42 PM
This theory is not out of the realm of the impossible but stay with me here.
So we have no money to sign a big player.
Rumour is that Arrow is off to ?? He is on $350k $450k if he has signed say your free to go now and we don’t pay a cent
We sign a big name player for 2020 on Arrows money this year and pay the balance over the following 2021/22 years.

All possible if the cards fall. However I like Mitchell but can be hot/ cold and could hurt moral.

BundyTitan
26-11-19, 05:02 PM
My theory with Arrow is that his manager has told him to wait and see what happens with the Rabbitohs Burgess retirement, so they can get a formal offer from Souths. Because at the moment they wouldn't be able to give any offer until they get the green light.

Apparently the newest article on Fox Sports says that Titans expect a decision next week. We will see

gotitans101_
26-11-19, 05:23 PM
So Latrell has signed with the Tigers on a 4 year $5.7m deal. There's no way he's worth that much.

JunctionBlock
26-11-19, 05:27 PM
So Latrell has signed with the Tigers on a 4 year $5.7m deal. There's no way he's worth that much.

Just glad it wasn't us that signed him. THat should burn a fair bit of the Tigpies salary cap.

Titslover
26-11-19, 05:45 PM
That's a fake tweet, he hasn't signed with Tigers

Firetruck
26-11-19, 05:54 PM
This whole Arrow affair is leaving a very sad taste in my mouth...no matter which way it goes. FFS Arrow, just make a bloody decision so that we can all move on. He has been given more time than most to make his decision and he is still lagging. I may be cynical but I believe that he has informed the client that he will be leaving and they are just waiting for the right time, after announcing re-signings such as Brimson and Sami, to let the members know.
As for this heavy issue of whether to move to Sydney to allow his fiancé to further her career... well I just think it is an absolute crock! Sydney might be the Mecca,min Australia of the fashion and modelling industry but it is only an hour by air from the Gold Coast.I think it is reasonable to assume most, if not all of her work would be pre-booked so she could very easily plan her excursions down south. Nate Myles and his wife managed OK when they lived up here and she had TV and other commitments in Sydney. Likewise, Tara Rushton worked in Sydney while Cooper Cronk lived in Melbourne. I suppose what I am saying is that if they wanted it to work, they could make it work but I am afraid this matter has drifted into the realms of a Prima Donna exercise. Jai, don’t let the door..............( although I hope I am wrong)

Bayside Titan
26-11-19, 06:09 PM

It wasn’t from the official Tigers Twitter. It was a fake one. Another fake one saying we have signed Mitchell.

Only way Mitchell comes up here next week is if Arrow decides on Friday he’s heading to Souths.

Croc
26-11-19, 06:18 PM

Where did u hear that mate? I haven’t seen it anywhere and last I read was the titans want to keep arrow but if he wants to sign with another club, the titans may let him leave earlier to help try land Latrell

gotitans101_
26-11-19, 06:18 PM
That's a fake tweet, he hasn't signed with Tigers

**** you're right, thanks man

Croc
26-11-19, 06:20 PM
This whole Arrow affair is leaving a very sad taste in my mouth...no matter which way it goes. FFS Arrow, just make a bloody decision so that we can all move on. He has been given more time than most to make his decision and he is still lagging. I may be cynical but I believe that he has informed the client that he will be leaving and they are just waiting for the right time, after announcing re-signings such as Brimson and Sami, to let the members know.
As for this heavy issue of whether to move to Sydney to allow his fiancé to further her career... well I just think it is an absolute crock! Sydney might be the Mecca,min Australia of the fashion and modelling industry but it is only an hour by air from the Gold Coast.I think it is reasonable to assume most, if not all of her work would be pre-booked so she could very easily plan her excursions down south. Nate Myles and his wife managed OK when they lived up here and she had TV and other commitments in Sydney. Likewise, Tara Rushton worked in Sydney while Cooper Cronk lived in Melbourne. I suppose what I am saying is that if they wanted it to work, they could make it work but I am afraid this matter has drifted into the realms of a Prima Donna exercise. Jai, don’t let the door..............( although I hope I am wrong)

Totally agree mate.. don’t get what’s taking so bloody long.. to me it seems like his gone and just waiting for the perfect timing.. I hope not but I don’t get what is taking so long..

Mr Bods
26-11-19, 07:16 PM
Arrow has beat his chest saying he wants to play for us, loves his hometown, been given a fantastic offer by our club and has had the gall to play the Mrs card and none of us are buying it.
If he signs elsewhere then he will have really let down all of us in a way that I think he will regret for the rest of his days.

He can be our hero and try and be our talisman OR take the weak option, Jump on a bandwagon and go after easy unearned success.

SCoast Titan
26-11-19, 07:19 PM
Jai Arrow’s contract is the NRL’s most significant bargaining chip. That includes Latrell Mitchell

Here’s how it’s gone so far. Brodie Croft has moved from the Storm to the Broncos, Curtis Scott is about to go from the Storm to the Raiders, Dylan Brown is preparing to test his value on the open market and where Latrell Mitchell ends up is anyone’s guess.

Tigers, Titans, Cowboys, the only certainty is Mitchell won’t be at back-to-back premiers the Sydney Roosters.

Or if he is he’ll be shaking hands with North Sydney Bears reserve grade coach Jason Taylor.

Why Arrow has now become even more of a key signature is because of the Gold Coast Titans sudden interest in luring Mitchell to south east Queensland.

Stay with us here. The Titans gave Arrow permission to test his value on the open market prior to November 1 in the hope of allowing rival clubs to crunch their numbers, submit their bids and try and get the whole process wrapped up well before Christmas.

Of course, the Gold Coast want to keep Arrow.

They’ve tabled him a three-year extension worth north of $1.8 million until the end of 2023 and hope to have an answer by the end of next week.

Meanwhile, South Sydney were quick to jump straight up out of their chair with a big offer and have been working on selling Arrow the Redfern pipedream ever since.

The opportunity to play and learn under super coach Wayne Bennett still holds enormous cut through.

Now as recent events would have it, if Arrow opts to take up the South Sydney offer for 2021 all of a sudden the Titans may reconsider letting him go a year early. This was considered an absolute no-no only 48 hours ago.

And if the Gold Coast were to let Arrow shift to Redfern effective immediately for 2020, come on down Latrell Mitchell.

Mal Meninga is suddenly holding a different pair of Aces.

Funny game, rugby league.

None of this would have been possible had the Sydney Roosters not pulled a $1.6 million two-year extension to Mitchell on Melbourne Cup day.

Make no mistake, Arrow is an absolute priority signing for the Titans, similar to young gun AJ Brimson who recommitted to the club on Monday.

If Arrow opts to stay put at the Titans, then the only way the Gold Coast could pursue Mitchell for next season is by trying to take an axe to the rest of their roster. And that takes time. Which Mitchell still has about another five weeks of given he’s not due back at training until early January.

But the Titans don’t have given they’ve been trying to shop half a dozen players since August to no avail.
It’s a different story in 2021 when they’ve got 14 of their NRL squad off-contract and they’ll be cashed-up with an open cheque book.

Kangaroos centre Mitchell doesn’t seem like he’s in any great rush. Even if the Wests Tigers and the Sydney Roosters would like an answer yesterday.

The Tigers have been asked at what point do they pull their offer off the table.

Surely the club can’t just let it sit idle in the wind for weeks on end?

One view is there’s nothing to be gained by trying to put a gun to someone’s head.

The other is this is the business of professional sport and time equates to money.

The clock is ticking. Trouble is Latrell doesn’t seem to want to hear it.

Titslover
26-11-19, 07:37 PM
Before anyone over reacts, this article is from James Hooper who has a terrible strike rate, and just makes things up for the headlines. It is frustrating how long Jai is taking, but I'm staying optimistic. It might not seem like much but he posted about AJ's re-signing on his instagram story yesterday, and Sami's as well last week. I feel like it would be really hypocritical of him to praise these guys for staying if he already knows he's about to leave.

BundyTitan
26-11-19, 07:50 PM
Before anyone over reacts, this article is from James Hooper who has a terrible strike rate, and just makes things up for the headlines. It is frustrating how long Jai is taking, but I'm staying optimistic. It might not seem like much but he posted about AJ's re-signing on his instagram story yesterday, and Sami's as well last week. I feel like it would be really hypocritical of him to praise these guys for staying if he already knows he's about to leave.

I agree hangingon that the instagram posts gave me hope too, as he wouldn't do that if he was leaving you'd think. However, I think what has pissed me and a lot of people off is the fact he has messed us around and treated us like dirt during the whole thing. He's had offers on the table for months and our offer is probably the highest of the lot, yet he still hasn't signed the dotted line. We even let him go to market early and he's still mucking around. Has left a sour taste in my and a lot of other fans mouths, however I do hope he stays.

willhelm
26-11-19, 08:16 PM
I think Arrow is gone to Souths and the club knows it, so they are looking at Asiata as his replacement.

I don't think the club wants Mitchell but are bluffing to goad the Tigers into overpaying him. It also applies a bit of time pressure to Arrow to potentially backflip on Souths.

Best case scenario imo is Souths don't get dispensation for Burgess, Arrow is forced to accept our offer, and we get Asiata as a bonus and play him at left second row (he's played 5/8 and prop so why not?).

Upthetits
26-11-19, 08:49 PM
I think Arrow is gone to Souths and the club knows it, so they are looking at Asiata as his replacement.

I don't think the club wants Mitchell but are bluffing to goad the Tigers into overpaying him. It also applies a bit of time pressure to Arrow to potentially backflip on Souths.

Best case scenario imo is Souths don't get dispensation for Burgess, Arrow is forced to accept our offer, and we get Asiata as a bonus and play him at left second row (he's played 5/8 and prop so why not?).

Agreed. I think theyre using this to pressure arrow into making a decision sooner rather than later.

In a perfect world we keep arrow and sign asiata, thatd be glorious