PDA

View Full Version : Round 19: Sydney Roosters v Gold Coast Titans

JunctionBlock
29-07-19, 01:09 PM
Sydney Cricket Ground (Sunday 2pm)

- - - Updated - - -

Dammit, did it again. Round 20

Sydney Roosters v Gold Coast Titans at Sydney Cricket Ground (2pm)

Roosters tips: Roosters prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves is facing another suspension for a hit on Bulldogs half Jack Cogger and will miss the Titans clash. Front-rower Siosiua Taukeiaho is in doubt after limping off with a calf injury against the Bulldogs. Skipper Boyd Cordner will also be monitored after suffering a calf complaint. “It’s not his first calf. There’s usually a little bit there, it won’t be long, but enough to annoy us,” Trent Robinson said. Robinson also revealed that English winger Ryan Hall (patella) will be out for “two or three” weeks, while rising lock Nat Butcher is also recovering after playing the last month with a broken rib, joining captain Jake Friend (broken arm) on the sidelines.

Titans tips: Winger Phillip Sami (concussion) and centre Dale Copley (knee) are in doubt after going down with injuries against the Broncos. Jai Arrow is unlikely to overcome his ankle injury in time to take on the Roosters, with a return still another week away at least.

willhelm
29-07-19, 01:52 PM
Sami and Copley out will require a bit of a reshuffle. What do we reckon the backline will look like? For me:

1. AJ
2. Don
3. Watkins
4. Kelly
5. Gordon
6. Roberts
7. Jacks

Not a fan of Jacks but not many other options. I don't like AJ at 7 and would rather have him at fullback with Gordon on the wing.

I really cannot stand Stockwell and don't ever want to see him in the side again. I mean just look at this rubbish:

Wallace: 52 min, 16 runs, 164 m, 32 tk, 0 mt
Whitbread: 49 min, 11 runs, 99 m, 34 tk, 5 mt
Stockwell: 46 min, 6 runs, 57 m, 37 tk, 2 mt
Fotuaika: 46 min, 16 runs, 186 m, 35 tk, 3 mt
Latu: 23 min, 6 runs, 54 m, 15 tk, 5 mt

Absolute plodder. How do you play 46 mins as a prop and only make 6 runs?

Mr Bods
29-07-19, 03:30 PM
Sami and Copley out will require a bit of a reshuffle. What do we reckon the backline will look like? For me:

1. AJ
2. Don
3. Watkins
4. Kelly
5. Gordon
6. Roberts
7. Jacks

Not a fan of Jacks but not many other options. I don't like AJ at 7 and would rather have him at fullback with Gordon on the wing.

I really cannot stand Stockwell and don't ever want to see him in the side again. I mean just look at this rubbish:

Wallace: 52 min, 16 runs, 164 m, 32 tk, 0 mt
Whitbread: 49 min, 11 runs, 99 m, 34 tk, 5 mt
Stockwell: 46 min, 6 runs, 57 m, 37 tk, 2 mt
Fotuaika: 46 min, 16 runs, 186 m, 35 tk, 3 mt
Latu: 23 min, 6 runs, 54 m, 15 tk, 5 mt

Absolute plodder. How do you play 46 mins as a prop and only make 6 runs?

Agree but I’d like another try of Peachey at 5/8 rather than Jacks.
Not sure what the Go is with Boyd but if available a straight swap with Stockwell for sure.

willhelm
29-07-19, 03:42 PM
Yeah I'd be happy to give Peach a run at 5/8 with Tyrone at 7. Honestly can't be any worse than Tyrone/Jacks.

timor 2
30-07-19, 04:02 PM
No AJ Brimson this Week?

NZFan
30-07-19, 04:06 PM
Yeah I'd be happy to give Peach a run at 5/8 with Tyrone at 7. Honestly can't be any worse than Tyrone/Jacks.

I'd be going Jacks/Peachey. Im so sick of seeing Roberts and Don in Titans colours. They are both prime symbols of how mediocre this team is. They both do one good thing every three or four weeks and everyone thinks that the sun shines out of their a@#s, but then turn in below average performances every other week.

JunctionBlock
30-07-19, 04:08 PM
https://i.imgur.com/K69gzNR.png
https://i.imgur.com/sDLqoA3.png

NZFan
30-07-19, 04:10 PM
Just when you think you've seen the worst Titans team on paper they pull these selections.

BundyTitan
30-07-19, 04:12 PM
Oh my god I just fell off my chair at that bench. Peachey, Cartwright and Lee on the bench will surely strike fear into the Roosters... I know we have a few injuries but that team is absolutely awful. As much as I love my Titans, if we don't get towelled up I would be shocked

JunctionBlock
30-07-19, 04:15 PM
No AJ Brimson this Week?

Didn't he get a cork in the thigh?

BundyTitan
30-07-19, 04:21 PM
Didn't he get a cork in the thigh?

That must be it as they have said that it's a "hip" injury. Probably something he'd play with if we were challenging for the 8 but I suppose not worth the risk with us being on the bottom. Geez we are lacking some strike though without him

JunctionBlock
30-07-19, 04:27 PM
Just tried to find out where the hell Hipgrave is. Just saw Shannon Boyd is out for the season for a shoulder reconstruction. He must have hurt it falling to the ground immediately after being tackled because it couldn't have happened when he was tackling someone else surely?!?!?

Could find anything on Hipgrave though.

willhelm
30-07-19, 04:34 PM
Oh my god I just fell off my chair at that bench. Peachey, Cartwright and Lee on the bench will surely strike fear into the Roosters... I know we have a few injuries but that team is absolutely awful. As much as I love my Titans, if we don't get towelled up I would be shocked

Friend, Cordner, Taukeiaho, Waerea-Hargreaves, Butcher, Hall all out but we're still gonna lose by 40.

- - - Updated - - -

That must be it as they have said that it's a "hip" injury. Probably something he'd play with if we were challenging for the 8 but I suppose not worth the risk with us being on the bottom. Geez we are lacking some strike though without him

Sounds like a grave injury. I'll see myself out...

Mr Bods
02-08-19, 05:31 PM
Ash Taylor will be playing the Cocks Salary Cap Cheats on Sunday

New era-let’s get behind him

willhelm
02-08-19, 07:21 PM
That’s great news, Bods. Hope he kills it.

BundyTitan
02-08-19, 10:06 PM
Sounds like it might be a straight swap for Roberts who is in doubt with an achilles injury. Not sure that's a loss with the way he has been playing lately...but would've preferred him over Jacks

Toads
03-08-19, 02:14 AM

Dunno if I'd be throwing the word "Cocks" around too much, man. Because our mob could easily be labelled the soft cocks this season.

Off topic: I wonder if Bronco Bill will blow by this week and have a little chat about the drubbing the Storm dished up to his almighty Drongoes last night? Premiership contenders... Pigs ****!

Whats Doing
03-08-19, 04:19 AM
Dunno if I'd be throwing the word "Cocks" around too much, man. Because our mob could easily be labelled the soft cocks this season.

Off topic: I wonder if Bronco Bill will blow by this week and have a little chat about the drubbing the Storm dished up to his almighty Drongoes last night? Premiership contenders... Pigs ****!

I was thinking the same thing about Bronco Bill. I am sure he will not venture back here for a while as the horse has been well and truly flogged so much so that the RSPCA has been called in to put the poor thing down and to put their supporters out of their misery

Mr Bods
03-08-19, 09:31 AM
^^^ referring to Easts as “the cocks” I thought was fairly common. All my mates call them that other than the one tool in my circle that goes for them. Am I wrong?
Is there any word on who drops out of the 17 for Taylor?

Dooldog76
03-08-19, 09:54 AM
That’s great news, Bods. Hope he kills it.

^^^ referring to Easts as “the cocks” I thought was fairly common. All my mates call them that other than the one tool in my circle that goes for them. Am I wrong?
Is there any word on who drops out of the 17 for Taylor?
Roberts or jacks, No loss either way.

Toads
03-08-19, 10:07 AM
Can't say it's a familiar term to me, known them as being referred to as the chooks, primarily. Obviously calling them the cocks is a attempt as being derogatory towards them. Though it could interpreted as going the other way, considering how much a pride/stature a rooster holds himself to.

But hey, what would I know.

- - - Updated - - -

If they slip Taylor back in, I don't think I'll bother for the rest of the season. I'm done done with his rot/nonsense.

Mr Bods
03-08-19, 10:11 AM
Can't say it's a familiar term to me, known them as being referred to as the chooks, primarily. Obviously calling them the cocks is a attempt as being derogatory towards them. Though it could interpreted as going the other way, considering how much a pride/stature a rooster holds himself to.

But hey, what would I know.

- - - Updated - - -

If they slip Taylor back in, I don't think I'll bother for the rest of the season. I'm done done with his rot/nonsense.

Yeah we say it to be derogatory towards them. They no doubt are cheats.
Taylor is playing tomorrow.

Toads
03-08-19, 10:15 AM
Enjoy the game then.

willhelm
03-08-19, 10:33 AM
Why is Taylor coming back the final straw? Would you prefer Jacks?

Titanic
03-08-19, 11:18 AM
If he comes back and plays well then it means he’s been dogging it and if he plays like before then it means he’s just a dog.

Mr Bods
03-08-19, 11:38 AM
Any forum members going to be at the game ?

Toads
03-08-19, 12:02 PM
Why is Taylor coming back the final straw? Would you prefer Jacks?

I could bang on a good part of the day what I don't like about the bloke. But I'll point out the most obvious one about him. He's a quitter, he checks out of games and has even been known to leave the field before full time for no apparent reason.

So anyone that has a crack in the position for the full 80 minutes is already streets ahead of Taylor. If my grandma was still around I'd be happy to have her slip on the jersey, at least I know she'd put in her best effort.

I think Titanic raised a good point too.

Mr Bods
03-08-19, 01:28 PM

Looks like my appeal to rally around him didn’t hit the spot.

JunctionBlock
03-08-19, 01:47 PM
Late Mail: Titans could have a couple of changes with Phillip Sami in doubt due to concussion. If he is ruled out we would see Brenko Lee come onto the wing with Leilani Latu coming onto the bench.

The Gold Coast Titans’ million-dollar man Ash Taylor will make his NRL comeback against the Sydney Roosters at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Sunday.

The former Dally M rookie-of-the-year has not played first grade since the Round 12 loss to the Cowboys after being stood down for mental health reasons.

Titans chairman Dennis Watt confirmed Taylor will start at half-back opposite Cooper Cronk.

“Ash is back to his old self,” Watt said, “he’s been terrific at training and enjoying being around the team. He’s keen and we think he’s ready.”

It is expected Taylor will come into the side for Ryley Jacks.

Dooldog76
04-08-19, 07:58 AM
I'm excited about today. I think we might cause the cocks a few problems. I'm not sure why but I think Taylor might step up today. Renewed optimism has risen after the signing of Holbrook. Let's rip in lads.

willhelm
04-08-19, 08:25 AM
Same here, Dools. I have a feeling Taylor is gonna come back strong.

(But not strong enough to change my tip haha)

JunctionBlock
04-08-19, 09:00 AM
I predict Ash to do 3-4 short balls to Proctor which go nowhere. Ash to go nowhere near the defensive line and take a hit. Ash to check out of the game by about the 68th minute. Roberts to step up so he can show up his mate. Either coach or an article about Ash this week about how he tried too hard and we shouldn't have thrown him to the wolves that are the Roosters. Happy to be wrong.

Titanic
04-08-19, 09:27 AM
Is Roberts playing?

Dooldog76
04-08-19, 10:34 AM
I predict Ash to do 3-4 short balls to Proctor which go nowhere. Ash to go nowhere near the defensive line and take a hit. Ash to check out of the game by about the 68th minute. Roberts to step up so he can show up his mate. Either coach or an article about Ash this week about how he tried too hard and we shouldn't have thrown him to the wolves that are the Roosters. Happy to be wrong.

Haha. It could go that way too. Who knows with this team.

JunctionBlock
04-08-19, 01:03 PM
https://i.imgur.com/rbbhZKX.png

DIEHARD
04-08-19, 02:09 PM
Come on Titans. Looks like a lovely day at the SCG.

JunctionBlock
04-08-19, 02:11 PM
Even the commentators know our left side is going to cop a flogging.

Smakked
04-08-19, 02:15 PM
Wow not looking great so far

JunctionBlock
04-08-19, 02:15 PM
Watkins could be one of our better signings in the last few years. Taylor still trying to find air between 26 pairs of legs and Sam Stone is still highly unimpressive. Just stood off all that mess for Morris to score. Long day lads.

BundyTitan
04-08-19, 02:16 PM
This is going to get very ugly. Game over already.

Whats Doing
04-08-19, 02:17 PM
Our players are not physically strong enough. We need to a broom through the strength coach as well. It is embarrassing

DIEHARD
04-08-19, 02:17 PM
There has been some hope but the Roosters have got some opportunities against play and banked it. 12-0 after ten. I’m keeping an eye on Watkins. Hoping to see him bring us some much needed strike power.

Whats Doing
04-08-19, 02:19 PM
Yep Sam Stone was a ridiculously wasted signing who is not NRL standard. Only got a start at Newcastle because he was the coaches son

Dooldog76
04-08-19, 02:20 PM
Maybe I was wrong

indoallstars
04-08-19, 02:24 PM
Philip Sami is so ****, the faster this bloke gets punted the better

mdrew
04-08-19, 02:30 PM
Oh heck this is not good, not good at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Jai Whibread doing well though

Dooldog76
04-08-19, 02:31 PM
I hope the boys packed lube in their kits.

teke
04-08-19, 02:32 PM
This is gonna be a record hiding

JunctionBlock
04-08-19, 02:36 PM
Philip Sami is so ****, the faster this bloke gets punted the better

We have Brenko Lee on the bench hahahaha coaches must have known one or both our wingers would be terrible.

Point a minute. Hope the Roosters switch off after half time.

- - - Updated - - -

Taylor still can't find touch.

indoallstars
04-08-19, 02:39 PM
We have Brenko Lee on the bench hahahaha coaches must have known one or both our wingers would be terrible.

Point a minute. Hope the Roosters switch off after half time.

- - - Updated - - -

Taylor still can't find touch.

Brenkos out there, the coach must be reading the forum

JunctionBlock
04-08-19, 02:43 PM
Should have dropped Peachey back to FB

- - - Updated - - -

Is Sami at FB, I can't work out the reshuffle with Gordon off. Crazy.

Nols of the Goldy
04-08-19, 02:46 PM
Micahel Gordon now gone for the game by the look of it.

JunctionBlock
04-08-19, 02:47 PM
Taylor has disappeared already.

Proctor trying his best to step up. Same can't be said for Peats.

GCTTSD
04-08-19, 02:53 PM
I'm at the game, think I'm the only titans fan here haha, it really is boys against men, we look so slow and weak compared to them

Boonarga
04-08-19, 02:57 PM
Wow! Proctor reached through the line and delivered a good offload.
That’s more stunning than the score.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine the score if they had sent their A Grade team out.

BundyTitan
04-08-19, 02:59 PM
This club doesn't deserve us fans. I mean I didn't expect us to finish the season fantastically just because we sacked Brennan but we are still literally showing no heart whatsoever. Look at the Bulldogs compared to us. They are ripping in and trying their guts out, meanwhile we look like we are just counting down the days to the end of season. Embarrassing

JunctionBlock
04-08-19, 03:07 PM
Braith with the spray on the fox sports couch. We are a reserve grade team and wouldn't even win a reserves game at the moment.

Not mincing his words. Deservedly so.

- - - Updated - - -

Taylor found touch. Improvement after the break already.

JunctionBlock
04-08-19, 03:26 PM
Lattrell mocking us waltzing through untouched. Laughable.

gotitans101_
04-08-19, 03:34 PM
Where is everyone lmao

I haven't watched the game...checked the score...44-0. WOW!

- - - Updated - - -

Poor old Holbrook will be stuck with Brennan's team for another year or two yet. Oh dear.

- - - Updated - - -

Jeez it's awfully quiet in here. What a great side Brennan left us with hey?

JunctionBlock
04-08-19, 03:35 PM
Where is everyone lmao

I haven't watched the game...checked the score...44-0. WOW!

- - - Updated - - -

Poor old Holbrook will be stuck with Brennan's team for another year or two yet. Oh dear.

Correction.... 46-6. I'll be interested to see the membership page after this weeks "performance". I don't think my pets even want to be members anymore.

gotitans101_
04-08-19, 03:38 PM
Correction.... 46-6. I'll be interested to see the membership page after this weeks "performance". I don't think my pets even want to be members anymore.

You're a trooper for sitting through this. Like I said, I'm not watching the game but how could any NRL side be this bad? Is there just no effort out there?

Dooldog76
04-08-19, 03:42 PM
50-6 now. Don is a human sieve.

JunctionBlock
04-08-19, 03:44 PM
You're a trooper for sitting through this. Like I said, I'm not watching the game but how could any NRL side be this bad? Is there just no effort out there?

Nah, no effort. I gave up going to a Thai cooking course today with the wife. Should have gone and just rubbed chillies in my eyes.

ozynorts
04-08-19, 03:45 PM
On the up side, I have Tedesco as my captain in SuperCoach today.

JunctionBlock
04-08-19, 03:53 PM
On the up side, I have Tedesco as my captain in SuperCoach today.

Me too. And I grabbed Morris off the free agents in my draft team. Will get me into the Final next week. Yeehaa, thank you Titans.

- - - Updated - - -

How many records and milestones did the Roosters achieve today? Morris 150 tries and 3 in the first half since 1986. Cronk 100 tries. Highest score by the roosters at this ground. I love it when we become part of someone elses highlight reel.

Roosters spend a million and get a guy that scores, breaks the line, try assists, defends like a legend and is probably the best FB in the world. We spend a million and get a potato.

mdrew
04-08-19, 03:54 PM
Hopefully Tremain Spry and Tannah Boyd geta shot next week, the Titans may as well see where they are with their development.

JunctionBlock
04-08-19, 03:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Bdr86T4.jpg
Aretem_art on FB

Toads
04-08-19, 04:00 PM
We spend a million and get a potato.

A potato that goes on holiday for a third of a season mid way through it.

Ahh well, we kept em under 60. There's a milestone for us.

gotitans101_
04-08-19, 04:00 PM
And to think the Roosters didn't even have a full strength side today either.

Toads
04-08-19, 04:03 PM
Betcha Braith is glad to move on after commentating that one. Gotta hand it to Gasnier for trying to talk it up as long as he did.

- - - Updated - - -

got to sneek in a 30 minute snooze in the second half, feel good for it.

Whats Doing
04-08-19, 04:13 PM
I remember at the start of the season that Brennan was crowing how much stronger we are than last year.

Either he was telling porkies or that our strength coach is not up todate on the physical aspects of the game as we were clearly inferior to the Roosters and being swatted off like flies.

I said before and I will say again our strength coach needs to go

Titanic
04-08-19, 04:18 PM
Commitment to the physical contest is what’s missing. What a bunch of Sheila’s.

TitanPremiership
04-08-19, 04:21 PM
Becoming increasingly desensitised to the garbage we present so managed to watch the whole game. The fact I was very impressed with Proctor was almost as disconcerting as the scoreline (props to him). Our try almost annoyed me as I thought Sami and Jacks were both very unimpressive all game. Might have it out for the bloke as that try was pretty nice but prior to that I thought he was about as creative as a wooden plank. All credit to him for that play... very nice. To have won four games all season draws comparison to the Knights in their spoon years and at least they were expected to be there with the players they had. Hard to say but it seems to have gone downhill since Garth left which really should say something about the players. Hopefully Holbrook can turn it around next year as I'll still be watching but I'm well and truly cautious about being too positive for next year.

JunctionBlock
04-08-19, 04:21 PM
I remember at the start of the season that Brennan was crowing how much stronger we are than last year.

Either he was telling porkies or that our strength coach is not up todate on the physical aspects of the game as we were clearly inferior to the Roosters and being swatted off like flies.

I said before and I will say again our strength coach needs to go

Who's that again? Can't remember his name after being told to give him a fair go.

RavShamrock
04-08-19, 04:24 PM
Hopefully Tremain Spry and Tannah Boyd geta shot next week, the Titans may as well see where they are with their development.

Yep I hope so mdrew.
Should have already happened in my opinion.

JunctionBlock
04-08-19, 04:38 PM
Some of the comments on FB are hilarious.

6-58, when it's our turn to bat we should reach that in 20 overs.

I’d sack the coach after that effort.

There are certainly a few positives to take out of the game. One is the fact that we won the 66th minute.
The other is the fact we were 100% in conversions and the roosters were only 90%.

No team that has conceded 50 points in a match has ever gone on to win the comp that season.
Not looking good.

Ausphin
04-08-19, 05:00 PM
Wow, that was ordinary.

No doubt Holbrook has his work cut out for him next year.

I really like the Holbrook signing and obviously offseason focus needs to be effort, fitness and defensive structure.

Getting smashed by 50+ feels awful, but i wanted to go back and see if teams can turn it around in the course of 1 season.

It is an extreme example , and i will be ecstatic if we are even in contention for the 8 next year, but in 2012 Roosters finished 13th and then won the comp the next year after signing Trent Robinson as coach. Didn’t hurt that they also signed Moloney, Jennings and SBW.

Not so much they won the comp but they obviously improved their defense. In 2012 they had the following floggings-

44-4
50-12
40-22
52-14
42-10

Oh yeah, btw their captain in 2012 was Braith Anasta so at least he was taking from experience when he bagged us today.

Toads
04-08-19, 05:15 PM
Titans staring down worst ever season as Roosters romp to 58-6 win

Since coach Garth Brennan’s departure, the Gold Coast have conceded a whopping 124 points in three games and showed little signs of life.

Chris Honnery, The Courier-Mail

Ash Taylor’s return to the NRL has been marred by a 58-6 demolition job to the Roosters in the Gold Coast’s biggest loss in the past three seasons.

The Titans are staring down the barrel of their worst ever season record and the appointment of new coach Justin Holbrook can’t come soon enough for the struggling club.

In front of 9,763 fans at the SCG, the Titans were simply outclassed and outdone by the Roosters who have made a bold statement for this year’s premiership.

Taylor made his much-anticipated return to the NRL after taking two months off to address personal issues and it was a mixed afternoon for the 24-year-old.

He made three errors and failed to kick a penalty over the sideline but he did seem far more confident with the ball in hand.

He was criticised earlier in the season for not running the ball and on Sunday, he took the line on six times for 51 running metres and even managed to break a tackle.

It was always going to be a tough return up against the Roosters but the Titans simply lacked the energy and pace to keep up with the home side to slump to their biggest losing margin since the 54-0 defeat to the Broncos in Round 22, 2017.

The Titans now sit on just four wins for the season and are on track to finish the year with their worst win-loss ratio in club history.

The 2011 Titans finished the year with just six victories and this year’s side face Melbourne, Newcastle and Parramatta in the next five games.

Winning was never entirely expected of the club since punting their former coach Garth Brennan but their attitude had to change.

Since Brennan’s departure, the Gold Coast have conceded a whopping 124 points in three games and showed little signs of life.

Holbrook’s arrival at the club can’t come soon enough for the struggling Titans as they continue to search for a winning culture.

Their loss yesterday was compounded by a hamstring injury to veteran fullback Michael Gordon he suffered in the first half.

There is some light at the end of the tunnel for the hapless Titans, with star forward Jai Arrow on track to return next week.

It took the Roosters just five minutes to open the scoring after fullback James Tedesco sprinted onto an offload to score under the posts.

For the next 15 minutes, it was nothing but the Brett Morris show as the talented Roosters winger crossed on three occasions to bring up 152 NRL tries.

A Daniel Tupou try just before halftime extended their lead out to 28-0 and it didn’t stop there.

The tricolours ran riot in the second stanza, with Tedesco scoring a second, Latrell Mitchell becoming the first player this year to reach 200 points following his double, and youngster Sam Verrills scoring his first try in the NRL.

The Titans were able to get on the board through Ryley Jacks in the 66th minute but did little else to worry the home side.

SYDNEY ROOSTERS 58 (B Morris 3 L Mitchell 2 J Tedesco 2 C Cronk D Tupou S Verrills tries L Mitchell 9 goals) bt GOLD COAST 6 (R Jacks try A Taylor goal) at Sydney Cricket Ground. Referee: Peter Gough, Liam Kennedy. Crowd: 9,763

- - - Updated - - -

You couldn't blame Cartwright, Henry and Brennan if they happened to have a bit of a snicker at the lads leaking 124 points in the last three games.

Dooldog76
04-08-19, 05:18 PM
On a positive, I think Cartwright needs to start. He's about our only creative talent out there. I also agree that Proctor tried his heart out today.

Titanic Believer
04-08-19, 05:37 PM
The back end of the season is when top teams are supposed to peak. With nothing to play for except pride. And no foundation to build on we cant expect much more than this. I suggest we all go on holiday till next year, the players have.

Toads
04-08-19, 05:50 PM
I was thinking along the same lines if we forfeited the remaining games, TB. The club could save money on Stadium rental, we wouldn't concede anymore points for the season, and everyone could have a nice long break and come back fresh. But then it dawned on me the NRL wouldn't allow it due to the media commitments. We're screwed.

RavShamrock
04-08-19, 06:21 PM
Wow, that was ordinary.

No doubt Holbrook has his work cut out for him next year.

I really like the Holbrook signing and obviously offseason focus needs to be effort, fitness and defensive structure.

Getting smashed by 50+ feels awful, but i wanted to go back and see if teams can turn it around in the course of 1 season.

It is an extreme example , and i will be ecstatic if we are even in contention for the 8 next year, but in 2012 Roosters finished 13th and then won the comp the next year after signing Trent Robinson as coach. Didn’t hurt that they also signed Moloney, Jennings and SBW.

Not so much they won the comp but they obviously improved their defense. In 2012 they had the following floggings-

44-4
50-12
40-22
52-14
42-10

Oh yeah, btw their captain in 2012 was Braith Anasta so at least he was taking from experience when he bagged us today.

Good post mate

ozynorts
04-08-19, 06:27 PM
This result is another reason I am not a fan of calling other teams derogatory names. The Cocks are crowing loud tonight.

JunctionBlock
04-08-19, 06:56 PM
This result is another reason I am not a fan of calling other teams derogatory names. The Cocks are crowing loud tonight.

The cocks did what cocks are supposed to do I suppose........

Sunny86
04-08-19, 07:53 PM
Go hard????

Toads
04-08-19, 08:05 PM
Root everything in sight that has a heartbeat would be my guess. Even the Drakes (male ducks) aren't safe from what I've seen.

amaline
04-08-19, 08:10 PM
So. Do we bring in the young guys to give them some NRL experience? Or is putting them into a team in the situation ours is in detrimental to their development??

Mr Bods
04-08-19, 08:17 PM
I’m crook as rookwood and saw none of the game
Too ill to even watch Tele
That’s my positive

JunctionBlock
04-08-19, 08:32 PM
Root everything in sight that has a heartbeat would be my guess. Even the Drakes (male ducks) aren't safe from what I've seen.

I was thinking that they **** pussies and we were a team full of them

Smakked
04-08-19, 08:41 PM
Pretty disgraceful effort. Holbrook has alot of work to do in the off season.

Toads
04-08-19, 08:41 PM
Yeah well, they made short work of us, and probably had plenty to spare after they went through us. :D

amaline
04-08-19, 08:52 PM
Pretty disgraceful effort. Holbrook has alot of work to do in the off season.

There was a silly article on NRL.com about the work Holbrook has to do. Surely with us looking like garbage there is more room for improvement, making his job easier if anything. We can't get worse, right?

Boonarga
05-08-19, 07:29 AM
Even Greg Bird is angry about the performance...
https://wwos.nine.com.au/news/super-league-probes-ugly-scenes-in-france/73eb9009-114d-4e53-9320-c7876475df19?ocid=Social-NRLFS

JunctionBlock
05-08-19, 08:17 AM
Anyway, enough of the bull**** from the club. Our club has come out and made a direct commitment to us all that if the players aren't buying into the clubs ethos then they will go. Yesterday we had the majority of the team putting their hand up and saying to the club "Do your worst". So lets see what the club does now with these no hopers. Knights had the balls to say to Ramien "Don't come back, negotiate elsewhere". Time for the club to put up or shut up. Make it public, make it embarrassing, Come Tuesday at the very least, drop the players that deserve to be dropped (I realise by doing this we can't field a team). Mals email today is another waste of data even if it is 6KB. Sick of the talk, start shaming these wankers and let them know it's not just veil threats.

Toads
05-08-19, 08:28 AM
Well said, JB. These slackers have run out of excuses, Brennan has been gone for 3 weeks now. It's all on their shoulders. The Fans and the RL world is watching.

Toads
05-08-19, 08:40 AM
Cheers, Boonarga. Good to hear Birdy is peeved as well. But I think you mightve linked the wrong article, I got the big all in brawl instead.

Im still a bit dirty we didn't give Birdy the send off he deserved. Many hold a dim view of him, but at least he bought into the club and tried to get others to do the same.

willhelm
05-08-19, 08:55 AM
Out of curiosity, who do we think needs to be shown the door and why?

For me, Stockwell is the obvious choice as he offers absolutely nothing. Peachey can piss right off. Don's time is up as he doesn't offer what we need from a modern winger. Sami looks lazy and stupid so he can go. Same for Brenko. Ryley Jacks is an absolute nuffie so he's cut. Sam Stone appears to offer nothing in attack, though to be fair his playmakers aren't exactly setting him up and he did make 43 tackles (2 missed).

Apart from that, I'm not sure who else we can cut. Mo and Wallace have probably been our best all season. Whitbread has been steady and shows a lot of potential imo. Peats (60 tackles) and Proctor (111 m / 33 tackles) put in on the weekend so they get a stay of execution. Ash is only 1 game back so I can't justify dropping him yet, though he didn't look to be taking it seriously and was laughing/grimacing after errors like that show-n-go knock on which ticked me right off. Kelly can stay as he has been one of our few shining lights this year. Watkins needs more opportunities and I think will be solid for us next year.

What I wanna see against the Dragons this week is:

1. AJ
2. Gordon (if healthy)
3. Watkins
4. Kelly
5. Copley if healthy, else Sami (who else do we even have? Kea Pere? Spry?)
6. Boyd
7. Taylor
8. Wallace
9. Peats
10. Mo
11. Proctor
12. Carty
13. Arrow

14. Rein
15. Hipgrave (as a middle)
16. Whitbread
17. Stone

Not pretty but I reckon is the best 17 we can put up.

Boonarga
05-08-19, 08:55 AM
Cheers, Boonarga. Good to hear Birdy is peeved as well. But I think you mightve linked the wrong article, I got the big all in brawl instead.

Im still a bit dirty we didn't give Birdy the send off he deserved. Many hold a dim view of him, but at least he bought into the club and tried to get others to do the same.

I think he’s the one in the picture about to punch the bloke under him.

DavidBouveng
05-08-19, 09:14 AM
so maybe Garth was a Genius keeping these floggings at bay for as long as he did with this group.

sad reflection on the playing group and i feel sorry for Hodges.

Most of the team should be embarrassed to look Wallace or Mo in the eyes.

id say blood some rookies but that would be so unfair for the rookies to have to come in and deal with team mates like this, a bit like Watkins has had to. i hope the guys who are taking the piss enjoy there last 5 games or whatever, and id say don't let the door hit them on the vagine on the way out, but that would be too big an insult to the local GC ladies teams who have more heart in their pinkies than this mob have in their bodies

JunctionBlock
05-08-19, 09:22 AM
Well said, JB. These slackers have run out of excuses, Brennan has been gone for 3 weeks now. It's all on their shoulders. The Fans and the RL world is watching.

This could have huge ramifications. Dead set if I was Holbrook I'd be questioning my decision, asking for more money or burning my contract. Arrow would be thinking, do I stay loyal or go and win a premiership elsewhere and earn the same money.

Willhelm, who do we think needs to be shown the door and why?

Arthurs is going to the Broncos but I'd play him over the rest of our back line
Shannon Boyd (2022) Free to negotiate and would pay for him to leave. Offers nothing when he is fit which is minimal. Getting up there with the clubs worst signings but that is a long list.
Cartwright (2021) free to negotiate. Not sure what to do with him anymore. Doesn't look like KP is giving up his right side.
Copley (2020) free to negotiate and won't be renewed. Broken all the time. Lifts for 1 game every 2 seasons
Don (2020) on minimum wage so good as a back up. Hopefully only for 1 or 2 games a season
Gordon is retiring
Jacks (2019) see ya
Hipgrave (2020) another broken player and so young. Free to negotiate
Latu (2020) Free to negotiate. Useless after being given chance after chance to prove otherwise
Lee, see ya
Matthews Good Bye
Peachey hope the Panthers deal is done
Peats (2020) Free to negotiate. Better off chasing someone younger and hungrier (NZFAN).
Sami (2020) can we find a centre wing that can defend???????? If he wants to go I wouldn't stop him
Stockwell hahahahaha
Ash I'd be pulling a Bulldogs and offer to pay half his wage
Sam Stone fringe player thrown in the deep end. Is sinking.

Leaves James, Mofo, Rein, Proctor, Wallace, Whitbread, Arrow, Farmer, Roberts, Spry, Tannah Boyd, Pere???, Watkins, Kelly, AJ, Don.

NZFan
05-08-19, 11:14 AM
This is the bit that annoys me the most.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/05/never-beaten-like-that-before-unwanted-titans-history-beckons/

Throughout the whole year it has been the senior guys that have been making the most mistakes. Don was atrocious last night (again) with his defensive reads and Peats was dropping balls and missing tackles. On top of that we regularly have Gordon gets getting run around or over as our last line of defence, Roberts making poor decisions and missing crucial tackles and Copley either flying out of the line and missing his man or hobbling off injured.

Everyone keeps saying that we need leadership from our senior players but our senior players are our biggest liability. Yeah Stockwell is an absolute plodder and Jacks doesn't seem to be able to create anything but they aren't the ones who are losing us the matches. Go back and watch from this year and in particular the last month, most of the tries have been conceded by our senior players.

JB Roberts would be on peanuts, I'd be paying as much as his wage to get rid of him also.

JunctionBlock
05-08-19, 11:58 AM
Probably the third article I've read with direct quotes from Peats saying senior players need to step up and talk is cheap its time for action. Maybe he should stick to being funny on twitter because that's where his talents end.

willhelm
05-08-19, 12:02 PM
I think that's unfairly harsh on Peats, JB. He tackled his guts out yesterday and while he did make errors, that's a reflection of how the team is going as a whole. He hasn't had his best season (or couple of seasons) but he is putting in effort. I believe he will come good again under Holbrook.

JunctionBlock
05-08-19, 01:07 PM
I thought he was outplayed by a kid who was playing his 2nd NRL game as his opposite number.

willhelm
05-08-19, 01:13 PM
I thought he was outplayed by a kid who was playing his 2nd NRL game as his opposite number.

Sure he was, but it’s a team sport and how well the team is going determines how well each individual is going. I don’t think a direct 1:1 comparison gives the full picture.

TitansState
05-08-19, 03:46 PM
I think that's unfairly harsh on Peats, JB. He tackled his guts out yesterday and while he did make errors, that's a reflection of how the team is going as a whole. He hasn't had his best season (or couple of seasons) but he is putting in effort. I believe he will come good again under Holbrook.

As I've said previously about Peats, yes he has a high work rate, but he also has defensive issues. Up close and personal (just the basic hit-ups) he's able to make tackles, but once things start getting creative around the middle his defensive woes start to show. Add that to the fact he passes in slow motion and only plays half the amount of games per year, I would resign him for half his contract.

Everyone keeps saying that we need leadership from our senior players but our senior players are our biggest liability.

Couldn't agree more. Our so-called "leaders" and "experienced players" are currently being outplayed by a 19 year old coming off our bench.

Mr Bods
05-08-19, 04:47 PM
Leadership or lack thereof was talked about over the Off season but there was a don’t be negative rule you were only allowed to talk about how wonderful our roster was
It’s true.

To be competitive and grow maybe we all need to be real about our shortcomings and not sweep them under the carpet.
I’m loving this brutal list analysis that’s going on at the moment

Holbrook could do a lot worse in getting good info by reading our forum in its current state

He’d be much better off reading the brutal analysis going on in here right now than talking to blokes in the “footy industry”.

Titanic
05-08-19, 05:08 PM
Just finished Slater’s book. The Storm way seems to be brutally honest peer appraisals ... there would be a few tears from our lot.

JunctionBlock
05-08-19, 05:44 PM
Just finished Slater’s book. The Storm way seems to be brutally honest peer appraisals ... there would be a few tears from our lot.

Then they'd take a couple of months off full pay and go fossicking with mum and dad.

DavidBouveng
05-08-19, 06:18 PM

i remember Kearney tried to implement it when he left storm and coached Parra - the sooks couldnt take it, especially Hayne.

Imagine our lot... dear lawd

5 Year Contract
05-08-19, 07:23 PM
Late to the party but yesterday is not acceptable in any way shape or form. I could give two ****s who we have out or what we have left to play for but the players should be absolutely disgusted in themselves. Problem is im guessing they arent. So much for playing for contracts. No leadership, a poor club culture and most importantly absolutely missing the mark on all key signings is crippling the club. Praying for some off season magic as we need to clear out 2/3's of our playing roster.

BundyTitan
05-08-19, 07:36 PM
Full respect to Proctor for taking responsibility and fronting up to replace Mal:

Dear Bundy,

I asked Mal Meninga if I could take over his regular Monday message to Members for this week so that I could address you all directly.

I am very thankful to Mal that he agreed to give me the opportunity.

This is a very difficult column to write. But I thought it was important that I, as the team captain on Sunday, talk to our Members about what happened at the Sydney Cricket Ground against the Roosters.

I would like to start by apologising to you, our Members, for the performance of the team on Sunday.

It was unacceptable.

It was not the type of performance that the Titans as a Club, our Members, fans, sponsors, supporters, or the region we represent, deserve.

As a playing group, we were humiliated, embarrassed and appalled at the result and the way that we played as a team.

I know that our Members, who love the Club so much, endured the same emotions.

Supporting the Titans is supposed to be a source of pride and passion. But we players know that there has been very little to be proud about this season, and even less so on Sunday.

It has been a hard year, and you deserve better than the results we have delivered.

Yes, there were factors that contributed to the loss to the Roosters.

Ryan James, Tyrone Roberts, Jai Arrow, AJ Brimson, Shannon Boyd, Keegan Hipgrave and Dale Copley are among the first players picked when fit, but all were missing with injury.

Our fullback, and most experienced player, Michael Gordon only lasted half an hour before he joined them on the sideline with an injured hamstring.

That’s eight of our top players all unavailable because of injury.

Undoubtedly the injury toll was a factor. But it is not an excuse.

The people that love and support this club expect the Titans to do their best every time they play – win, lose or draw – regardless of who is on the field, or who is missing from the team.

What happened on Sunday was nowhere near our best.

I don’t have any explanation for why the game panned out the way it did.

Yes, the Roosters are a terrific team. But we trained well, prepared well, and I thought we were ready to give them a scare.

Instead, it turned into a nightmare for us, our Club and our Members and supporters.

And we’re sorry.

We have five weeks left in this season to redeem ourselves, and repay the faith and patience of our Members and fans by showing the true character of this team and the pride of the individual players that are in it.

This is what will be driving the Titans for the rest of the season.

It is important to us, and we take the responsibility seriously.

We have not, and will not, give up. We are resilient. We are accountable for an unacceptable performance.

We are proud of being Titans, and need to prove to you – our loyal supporters – that we deserve your trust to turn last weekend around.

We will not give up. We hope that you will not give up on us.

Regards,

KEVIN PROCTOR
TITANS CO-CAPTAIN

- - - Updated - - -

Let’s just hope that they actually put words into action as to me it didn’t look like they had pride in the jersey against the Roosters. We can’t afford to give up this season, yes we are all counting down the days until the end of 2019 but the players should still be playing to avoid the spoon and to give us members something to take half pride in.

JunctionBlock
05-08-19, 07:47 PM
Dragons next week. Not exactly setting the world on fire. Lets see what these words mean. Not expecting anything personally. Even when you have no expectations of this team they let you down.

Still say Mal has a lot to answer for. Everyone keeps saying that our performance and culture is the worst it's ever been and there is a bloke collecting a wage whose title is literally Head of Performance and Culture.

BundyTitan
05-08-19, 07:54 PM
Dragons next week. Not exactly setting the world on fire. Lets see what these words mean. Not expecting anything personally. Even when you have no expectations of this team they let you down.

Still say Mal has a lot to answer for. Everyone keeps saying that our performance and culture is the worst it's ever been and there is a bloke collecting a wage whose title is literally Head of Performance and Culture.

Amen to both statements there. All year we’ve heard “we will turn it around, stick with us” and yet last week shows that it looks like they don’t care and just want mad Monday to come. Enough sh*t talk and actually start ripping in for once. And Mal has done nothing and seems like the players aren’t intimidated by him at all (thought for sure that would be his strength but nope). Not even the Australian coach can scare these sooks

Boonarga
05-08-19, 09:47 PM
FFS! He laments that many 'top' players were unavailable and then says that's not an excuse! Why even mention it then?
We had 17. They had 17. They turned up to play. Our guys turned up to make sure they got paid.
Show some damn passion on the field. Don't giggle and laugh when errors are made. Don't come off at the end of the game all smiley.

Toads
05-08-19, 11:29 PM
Good point, Boonarga. I'll probably have to watch it again. But I didn't notice any of our guys own that loss on Sunday arvo. Not one bowed head or dropped to the ground disappointed in themselves (that I noticed). Most seemed to leave the field without owning that dismal performance. Kinda gives way, showing that we really do have a problem with our culture.

And, yes. It was a good segment on Ch9, Bundy. Even enjoyed the bit that Gould mentioned about the Drongoes, with all their resources they haven't won a premiership in 13 years. Which in the scope of things doesn't make them look any better than ourselves.

Stick that in ya pipe and smoke it, Drongo fans. :D

Titanic
05-08-19, 11:37 PM
Roosters weren’t at full strength either. It’s very nice to have such scripted pieces emailed to us but talk about pulling the wool over our eyes .... baaaaa baaaa (in Chinese ba-ba literally means “sh1t”). As an aside, my son gets great pleasure ordering a ba-ba burger at Grill’d then telling anyone listening that he’s having a sh1t sandwich.

Meninga was an imposing player but never the sharpest knife in the kitchen ... have we all forgotten his comments during the Stupid League stoush? “League has done nothing for me”. What a tosser.

Mexican titan
06-08-19, 11:15 AM

He said Boyd, Hipgrave and Copley are among the first players picked. That seems to indicate a problem right there.

Agree with everything you said JB. Joke of a club at the moment.

Mr Bods
06-08-19, 11:19 AM
The Heat is now firmly on Meninga. The forum has focussed in on him.
Well he needs to not squib it and grab the whistle, not watch Training from the sideline tent or from behind the posts but be dead centre running the show in no uncertain terms.

Let him and the players take total ownership for these 6 weeks.
Hodges and Burt can carry the equipment and mix the drinks.

Whats Doing
06-08-19, 03:18 PM
The Heat is now firmly on Meninga. The forum has focussed in on him.
Well he needs to not squib it and grab the whistle, not watch Training from the sideline tent or from behind the posts but be dead centre running the show in no uncertain terms.

Let him and the players take total ownership for these 6 weeks.
Hodges and Burt can carry the equipment and mix the drinks.

The fact is Meninga is paid to do a job and get results in improving performance and culture. He has been a failure todate and the club has gone backwards.

He needs to perform and if not shown the door by the owners.

We want a results driven club where everyone is accountable for their performance irrespective of who they are.

willhelm
06-08-19, 03:33 PM
The fact is Meninga is paid to do a job and get results in improving performance and culture. He has been a failure todate and the club has gone backwards.

He needs to perform and if not shown the door by the owners.

We want a results driven club where everyone is accountable for their performance irrespective of who they are.

These things don’t happen overnight though. Anyone who has worked in management knows that culture is the most difficult thing to change in any organisation. Mal needs to be given time to implement his methods and see them to fruition. Dumping him because he couldn’t achieve overnight success would reflect poorly on us and further poison the chalice.

Mr Bods
06-08-19, 04:10 PM
Teams have been named
Can someone start up a St Merge thread please

Whats Doing
06-08-19, 04:46 PM
Y
These things don’t happen overnight though. Anyone who has worked in management knows that culture is the most difficult thing to change in any organisation. Mal needs to be given time to implement his methods and see them to fruition. Dumping him because he couldn’t achieve overnight success would reflect poorly on us and further poison the chalice.
Yes I have worked at senior management for a significant number of years. What I said is the club has gone backwards since his appointment and whilst I agree it takes time to improve, anyone in management knows that the benchmark is not to go backwards. Yes give him time but he has a lot to do and must start showing that he is making a positive difference which had not been shown todate

Titanic
07-08-19, 10:01 AM
For Christ’s sake, change management is not rocket science and starts with the management. We have a faceless CEO, a powderpuff position in whatever Meninga’s position is and the playing “staff” hold the franchise to ransom. Of course we are sh1t. Go lean & mean; get some reliable no-name, cut throat managers to drive a purely youth/local policy. Build the brand around grassroots rugby league and tourism because that’s what we’ve got. And tell the bloody truth instead of the insipid drivel we are sprouting at the moment.