PDA

View Full Version : “Top Secret” plan to transform the Titans into Brisbane’s second NRL team

Dobes
17-07-19, 07:02 PM
This apparently involves the Titans playing 8 games a season at Suncorp stadium under a new name. Super League heavyweights and a former Melbourne storm boss said to be involved in this proposal.

https://mobile.twitter.com/9NewsSyd/status/1151412033281130497?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

This link explains it further: https://www.facebook.com/9NewsQueensland/videos/1215689611945121/

Mr Bods
17-07-19, 07:06 PM
I’m so angry
We change Coaches and out comes the Brisbane Hate Media with all guns blazing
GAGF!!
Makes you want to be violent

Dobes
17-07-19, 07:09 PM
I’m so angry
We change Coaches and out comes the Brisbane Hate Media with all guns blazing
GAGF!!
Makes you want to be violent

Absolute joke Bods... “South East QLD Titans”. How ridiculous is that...

Mexican titan
17-07-19, 07:16 PM
The two people behind it are absolute ex Super League scum in my opinion. I could go on about this story but I'd only get Diehard in trouble.
If the powers that be read this, I can assure them that I will not be following any team called Titans playing out of Brisbane. Don't treat us as fools by saying the team would still train on the Coast. Quite simply Bods said it best, just GAGF.

Titanic
17-07-19, 07:17 PM
If Ribot de Brittlesack has anything to do with our club I’m goneski from rugby league for whatever is left of my miserable life.

Mexican titan
17-07-19, 07:20 PM
If Ribot de Brittlesack has anything to do with our club I’m goneski from rugby league for whatever is left of my miserable life.

And Chris Johns - that bloke is just dying to have relevance.

BundyTitan
17-07-19, 07:21 PM
Such a ludicrous and stupid idea. How they think current Titans fans will support anything to do with this is laughable, I know I won't. That being said there hasn't actually been any meetings or official moves, all just talk atm. Lets hope it stays that way

Nols of the Goldy
17-07-19, 07:21 PM
I am furious. If this is anywhere near the truth then as others have said they can GAGF well and truly. I will be done 100% and will letting them know tomorrow. How the hell do they think it will make any difference and it most certainly will not end well. What a circus we have become :fist:

Mexican titan
17-07-19, 07:26 PM
Rebecca and Darryl need to kill this off now. For every hour they remain silent........

BundyTitan
17-07-19, 07:29 PM
The club needs to send out a statement by tomorrow. Like you said MT the more oxygen they allow this to gain, the more it will continue to burn and lead to it happening.

Hopefully it's all just talk and rubbish like the good old Gold Coast Bears lies a couple of years ago

Mr Bods
17-07-19, 07:33 PM
And Denis Watt must clarify his “last stand” comment and say it’s been totally overblown
I was told Watt was some great operator
His “last stand” comment has opened up completely the NSW/Brisbane Death Troll the GC pile on
This stress to your long suffering members is not acceptable!!!

JunctionBlock
17-07-19, 07:53 PM
I guess the plan to merge us with the NS Bears and what was the other one, Bundaberg or whatever it was has been flogged to death they needed new material.

Boonarga
17-07-19, 08:47 PM

Absolutely. That person tore apart this game and it still hasn't recovered. Must not ever be involved with the Titans.

Toads
17-07-19, 08:54 PM
The Club has the fan base around them, they just need to get their act together to give them a reason to get the bums back on seats come game day.

Just another horse**** article from the Drongoes up the M1

JunctionBlock
18-07-19, 08:35 AM
Story is all over GoldFM this morning. Club needs to get on record and say it's crap. Anyone that thinks this plan would attract a wider fan base need only to think back to the Brisbane Bears playing out of Carrara.

Initially the only way to save this club is to win games. Melbourne are giving the team an opportunity this Sunday by resting half their A team. We lose to the B squad then we have another week of headlines telling us all how much we suck.

BundyTitan
18-07-19, 01:15 PM
Well done titans. A statement had to be put out ASAP

Gold Coast Titans Executive Chairman Dennis Watt has dismissed reports that the Club is discussing plans to rebrand and relocate to Brisbane.

“For the benefit of Titans Members, fans and sponsors, here are the facts: We are the Gold Coast Titans, and that is how we will stay,” Watt said.

“The Gold Coast is our city, and we are here to stay to proudly represent our community.

“The Gold Coast and Northern Rivers region has a long and proud history with rugby league stretching back to the game’s roots in this country. We are custodians of the game in our region, and passionate supporters of rugby league and our community.

“We are not moving anywhere, nor are we changing our name or ownership.

“We are committed to the Gold Coast, as evidenced in our current negotiations for an early conversion of our five-year extension on our lease at Parkwood, and our development application for the Titans Community Club, which is currently before Council.

“We are regularly approached by good people who want to help the Titans reach their full and successful potential, and we appreciate their support of the Club.

“But while we never stop listening to interesting proposals, and will always keep an open mind about possibilities to grow and strengthen the Titans, the possibility of restructuring, relocating and rebranding the Club has not been contemplated.

“Yesterday’s media speculation is incorrect.“

JunctionBlock
18-07-19, 01:17 PM
Just saw the email. Exactly what was needed. Channel 9 and the local media won't cover this though. Just want headlines.

Mr Bods
18-07-19, 01:18 PM
Well done titans. A statement had to be put out ASAP

Gold Coast Titans Executive Chairman Dennis Watt has dismissed reports that the Club is discussing plans to rebrand and relocate to Brisbane.

“For the benefit of Titans Members, fans and sponsors, here are the facts: We are the Gold Coast Titans, and that is how we will stay,” Watt said.

“The Gold Coast is our city, and we are here to stay to proudly represent our community.

“The Gold Coast and Northern Rivers region has a long and proud history with rugby league stretching back to the game’s roots in this country. We are custodians of the game in our region, and passionate supporters of rugby league and our community.

“We are committed to the Gold Coast, as evidenced in our current negotiations for an early conversion of our five-year extension on our lease at Parkwood, and our development application for the Titans Community Club, which is currently before Council.

“We are regularly approached by good people who want to help the Titans reach their full and successful potential, and we appreciate their support of the Club.

“But while we never stop listening to interesting proposals, and will always keep an open mind about possibilities to grow and strengthen the Titans, the possibility of restructuring, relocating and rebranding the Club has not been contemplated.

“Yesterday’s media speculation is incorrect.“

Excellent. Nipped in the bud
GAGF Ribot/Johns, Drongoes Hate Media, ch9 Brisbane and the GC Graveyard Lemmings in general

DIEHARD
19-07-19, 01:17 AM
I'll never forget or forgive what John Ribot and his Super League did to the sport. He is the last person who should be involved in this club.

There are room for more teams in Queensland but the Titans must stay put. They must also service northern NSW, something I can't see happening effectively from Brisbane.

The "Last Stand" comment was very poor and ill judged.

JunctionBlock
19-07-19, 09:58 AM
So what do you do as a responsible journalist when the rumours you reported on are down and out quashed? Do you print a retraction? No, you start the article with the quote from the horses mouth quashing the rumour but then double down again with a fresh rumour and end the article repeating the rumour that has quashed. Congratulations leeches.

NRL 2019 | Gold Coast Titans hit back at relocation rumours
The Gold Coast Titans have hit back at claims they’re set to move but a report says there is some truth to the rumour.

Andrew McMurtry@AndrewMcMurtry news.com.auJULY 18, 20196:20PM

Reports of the Gold Coast Titans moving to Brisbane have been slammed by Titans executive chairman Dennis Watt.

Channel 9 reported last night former Melbourne bosses John Ribot and Chris Johns were set to lead the charge to relocate the Titans to become Brisbane’s second NRL side.

But the rumours have been slammed as “incorrect” with Watt reaffirming the side would remain the Gold Coast Titans.

“We are regularly approached by good people who want to help the Titans reach their full and successful potential, and we appreciate their support of the club.

“But while we never stop listening to interesting proposals, and will always keep an open mind about possibilities to grow and strengthen the Titans, the possibility of restructuring, relocating and rebranding the club has not been contemplated.”

While the permanent move to Brisbane has been publicly quashed, there may be some truth the decision to move.

On Triple M’s The Big Breakfast with Marto, Robin and Nick Cody, Ben Dobbin reported the side would move to Brisbane to play two NRL games “hopefully a year”.

It’s a move to “increase revenue” Dobbin reported with the move likened to teams taking games interstate or to regional areas.

Get your 14 day FREE trial of Kayo Sports and live stream the 2019 NRL Premiership Season. Every match of every round, live and on demand in HD on your TV or favourite device. Or catch up with Kayo Mini’s the next morning.

On Nine News sports editor Cameron Williams reported on Wednesday night that there was a “top secret” plan to shift the side north and change the name.

“Some rugby league heavy-hitters are involved in a top secret plan to transform the Gold Coast Titans into Brisbane’s second rugby league team,” Williams said.

“Nine news understands up to eight Titans games a season would be played in Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium under a new name.

“Super League heavyweights and former Melbourne Storm bosses John Ribot and Chris Johns are said to be involved.”

On The Sunday Footy Show last week, NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler savaged the club and proposed the move north.

“Are the Gold Coast a chance of moving a little bit north? Ipswich?” Fittler asked on The Sunday Footy Show.

“Why wouldn’t the Gold Coast be the second Brisbane team? There’s 4,000 people turn up to watch them each week. Let’s not call it a success.

“They had a couple of good years at the start, without a doubt, and they played semi-finals. But it’s far from a success.”

Phil Gould also said the club had “failed over a long period of time to establish what kind of club it is”.

The Titans have an average home crowd of 11,206, the second lowest in the NRL.

The speculation of a move has ramped up after Garth Brennan was fired by the Titans.

Watt said the sacking and new coach search was the Titans’ “last stand”.

With plenty of candidates putting their hand up, rugby league great Peter Sterling said Brennan’s sacking was a disappointment.

“I was hoping that he would have success,” Sterling said on Macquarie Sports Radio’s Halftime with James Willis. “I think a number of players did let him down.

“I thought they would be an improving side this year with some of the imports that they brought in. He had and has got plenty to offer as a first-grade coach. When that next opportunity arises he’d probably be more credentialed.”

Mr Bods
19-07-19, 11:02 AM
Win on Sunday and this garbage goes away for a little while

Upthetits
19-07-19, 11:16 AM
They already play magic round in brisbane and the double header vs manly and bronx storm. 2 games in brissy a year. Dobbos a deadset flog

Mr Bods
19-07-19, 11:36 AM
They already play magic round in brisbane and the double header vs manly and bronx storm. 2 games in brissy a year. Dobbos a deadset flog

Yeah he’s such a tool. I’m sick to death of these Brisbane flogs like Dobbo, Badel, even King Wally who meddle in our business.

DIEHARD
19-07-19, 02:31 PM
Fittler isn't qualified to make fun of Titans crowds. Especially so inaccurately. I mean look at the Roosters crowds over the years.

DIEHARD
19-07-19, 02:43 PM
For people interested in some comments from the general NRL community. Check this out. https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/south-east-qld-titans.476805/

I'm on page 3 and the idea is being roundly ridiculed. And of course we are copping it for being a basket case. I've chipped in some comments as a proud Brisbane boy and Titans member since 2007.

gotitans101_
19-07-19, 04:52 PM
When is our next Channel 9 game? It'd be a good time to give that stooge Fittler a piece of mind.

Toads
19-07-19, 07:00 PM
Dobbos a deadset flog

Cameron Williams makes a great sidekick for Dobbo, he's been rubbishing us for years as well. Mostly likely these two tools come up with this nonsense.

BundyTitan
24-07-19, 06:26 PM
Okay did anyone else see Nine News tonight? I’m very concerned after hearing Kelly said “I’m not strong on the Titans name” and “I don’t think the Gold Cost represents who we are”.....WHAT

Mr Bods
24-07-19, 07:33 PM
No...been trying to find it but no luck yet

Mr Bods
24-07-19, 08:42 PM
Okay did anyone else see Nine News tonight? I’m very concerned after hearing Kelly said “I’m not strong on the Titans name” and “I don’t think the Gold Cost represents who we are”.....WHAT

I just saw it and I hated it. Our club leaders continue to say things that upset and give anxiety to us true GC Titans fans.

https://twitter.com/9newsgoldcoast/status/1153934889105817602?s=12

Mexican titan
24-07-19, 08:52 PM
I just saw it and I hated it. Our club leaders continue to say things that upset and give anxiety to us true GC Titans fans.

I must have missed some of it on the news. I heard his comment about the name and he said something along the lines that our boundaries stretch beyond the Gold Coast i.e. northern NSW. However I didn't hear his comments about moving games away from Robina. I don't pay close attention anymore to Titans stories on the GC channel 9 news - it sort of loses appeal when they still run the pre story advert "that in 2019 we are ready". They should change that, because we weren't ready and are still not ready.

willhelm
24-07-19, 09:21 PM

I can see why you’re concerned Bods but to put an optimistic spin on it I believe he was saying that our catchment area is more than just the Gold Coast as we also cover Northern NSW and Toowoomba. Perhaps even Ipswich. He’s trying to expand the catchment area for what can be considered a Titans “local junior” in the public’s minds. I agree that it sounds bad when he says he’s not sure that the Gold Coast name reflects the area we represent but we also didn’t hear the context of the question he was responding to. I can’t see them changing the branding anytime soon.

Regarding the moving games from Cbus comment, he said that they can knock the 8 games idea on the head. He said that we already take one away from home for Magic Round and that they may consider one more, so two total. Not worth hitting the panic button over and I can see it being a good commercial move in the interim until the club is more financially viable.

Mr Bods
24-07-19, 09:33 PM
I can see why you’re concerned Bods but to put an optimistic spin on it I believe he was saying that our catchment area is more than just the Gold Coast as we also cover Northern NSW and Toowoomba. Perhaps even Ipswich. He’s trying to expand the catchment area for what can be considered a Titans “local junior” in the public’s minds. I agree that it sounds bad when he says he’s not sure that the Gold Coast name reflects the area we represent but we also didn’t hear the context of the question he was responding to. I can’t see them changing the branding anytime soon.

Regarding the moving games from Cbus comment, he said that they can knock the 8 games idea on the head. He said that we already take one away from home for Magic Round and that they may consider one more, so two total. Not worth hitting the panic button over and I can see it being a good commercial move in the interim until the club is more financially viable.

Thanks for the alternative view. I’ll sleep a bit better. The original GC Team was Gold Coast-Tweed Giants.
Could handle the name Gold Coast-Tweed again for sure.

In regards to home games I am non-negotiable on that one.

BundyTitan
24-07-19, 09:55 PM
Good call willhelm and could be the media trying to spin it but was really concerning to hear him say that.

The most worrying comment was the first one where he said “I’m not strong on the Gold Coast name”. That’s hard to spin...

Bronco Bill
24-07-19, 10:09 PM
He said that we already take one away from home to Suncorp for Magic Round and that they may consider one more......

It always starts with one.

willhelm
24-07-19, 10:31 PM
Always? Is there a long history of teams moving more and more home games prior to (implied) relocation that I’m unaware of?

JunctionBlock
25-07-19, 08:29 AM
Take the games to wherever the club will make a profit.

BundyTitan
25-07-19, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't actually mind the club taking say 1 or 2 games to Suncorp and 1 game to either Sunny Coast or one of the Northern NSW towns. Just to grow the club and earn some extra profit. Just as long as they aren't taking any more than that away or re branding us.

Mr Bods
25-07-19, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't actually mind the club taking say 1 or 2 games to Suncorp and 1 game to either Sunny Coast or one of the Northern NSW towns. Just to grow the club and earn some extra profit. Just as long as they aren't taking any more than that away or re branding us.

Doubt I’ll continue my membership if we are taking games away from the GC and just taking the p**s with the name Gold Coast.
We either are Gold Coast or not.
I despise greatly this moving game stuff.

BundyTitan
25-07-19, 01:02 PM
Doubt I’ll continue my membership if we are taking games away from the GC and just taking the p**s with the name Gold Coast.
We either are Gold Coast or not.
I despise greatly this moving game stuff.

Yeah but mate eventually you've gotta start thinking about what can make the club more viable and we can earn a lot more money to keep us financially afloat too. No one is saying take every game away but 1 or 2 a year won't hurt to grow the club.

Rabbitohs take games to Cairns or Perth (and recently Sunshine Coast this year), Bulldogs take a game to NZ, Eels and Panthers take games to Darwin. And there's more that do it too

Mr Bods
25-07-19, 01:30 PM
1 for Drongoe Idiot “magic” round
And 1 somewhere else is my absolute limit

willhelm
25-07-19, 02:37 PM
Yeah but mate eventually you've gotta start thinking about what can make the club more viable and we can earn a lot more money to keep us financially afloat too. No one is saying take every game away but 1 or 2 a year won't hurt to grow the club.

Rabbitohs take games to Cairns or Perth (and recently Sunshine Coast this year), Bulldogs take a game to NZ, Eels and Panthers take games to Darwin. And there's more that do it too

Yep, I agree. First step is to make the club financially viable before we get to be choosers.

NZFan
25-07-19, 02:52 PM

Would be nice if they could take one to Darwin as thats where I'm living at the moment. Didn't we take one to Tamworth this year as well as the magic round? That's enough isn't it. You have to cater for your core supporter base first. There's a lot of people on the coast that have been through thick and thin supporting the club. It's unfair on them to take games away from them. If they want to get more supporters they need to start winning it's that simple.

BundyTitan
25-07-19, 03:10 PM
Would be nice if they could take one to Darwin as thats where I'm living at the moment. Didn't we take one to Tamworth this year as well as the magic round? That's enough isn't it. You have to cater for your core supporter base first. There's a lot of people on the coast that have been through thick and thin supporting the club. It's unfair on them to take games away from them. If they want to get more supporters they need to start winning it's that simple.

Nah that Tamworth game was a Tigers home game that they took there. Which further proves the point. I agree you can't take too many away, that would be absolutely craziness and you may as well relocate us with that. But surely 1 or 2 couldn't hurt as almost every club does it. They could always bring one to Bundaberg for me :laugh:

Mr Bods
25-07-19, 03:24 PM
Go to years and years of watching us struggle and stumping up money to keep our club alive
Then take games away from us

Thanks a lot guys
Great stuff

willhelm
25-07-19, 03:25 PM
We need to walk before we can run, Bods. Our first focus must be on future-proofing the club. We can't have all our dreams come true right away.

Mr Bods
25-07-19, 03:35 PM
We need to walk before we can run, Bods. Our first focus must be on future-proofing the club. We can't have all our dreams come true right away.

Where do you live currently? I’m thinking you aren’t a GC resident.

BundyTitan
25-07-19, 03:39 PM
Where do you live currently? I’m thinking you aren’t a GC resident.

C'mon don't be so overprotective mate. Just because we want to look after the future of our club does not mean we are haters of the Gold Coast. We are agreeing that it should remain GC Titans but like every club we should be looking to grow the club whenever we can

willhelm
25-07-19, 03:49 PM
I live in Brisbane for work but spent 23 years of my life on the GC and was born there. I’m just as much of a Gold Coaster as anyone, so I resent the implication, thank you very much.

Mr Bods
25-07-19, 04:06 PM
I just want transparency so we can have some context. It’s obvious Bundy is in Bundy, NZFan revealed he’s in Darwin and thank you for that and I was keen to know where wilhelm was coming from metaphorically and literally. Its helpful if people put it in their profile so you don’t need to ask.

I’m not buying into this get our games out of GC agenda. No way. In fact no apologies given for asking if you aren’t here.
How to future proof?
A-get the 20k plus fans of 2007-2010 back by being successful.
B-local juniors brought on, kept and brought back
C-don’t take the p**s at the local community by being a quasi GC team, the locals will see right through that and conclude that the club isn’t fair dinkum. They have to be the local GC/Northern Rivers/Tweed team.

Games in Brisbane play into the hands of the non-viable folk. It destabilises. Every game in Brisbane will provoke relocation discussion.

I take the point about the Drongoe Round and how clubs take 1 game a year away somewhere. Northern NSW preferably. That’s the limit.

Might as well have merged with the Bears and followed their model of playing 3 games on the Central Coast and 1 at North Sydney Oval every year and had the financial stability of their leagues clubs backing us. We didn’t want that then and was a key factor in why we backed Daryl and Rebecca.

Be GC.

Mexican titan
25-07-19, 05:17 PM
I just want transparency so we can have some context. It’s obvious Bundy is in Bundy, NZFan revealed he’s in Darwin and thank you for that and I was keen to know where wilhelm was coming from metaphorically and literally. Its helpful if people put it in their profile so you don’t need to ask.

I’m not buying into this get our games out of GC agenda. No way. In fact no apologies given for asking if you aren’t here.
How to future proof?
A-get the 20k plus fans of 2007-2010 back by being successful.
B-local juniors brought on, kept and brought back
C-don’t take the p**s at the local community by being a quasi GC team, the locals will see right through that and conclude that the club isn’t fair dinkum. They have to be the local GC/Northern Rivers/Tweed team.

Games in Brisbane play into the hands of the non-viable folk. It destabilises. Every game in Brisbane will provoke relocation discussion.

I take the point about the Drongoe Round and how clubs take 1 game a year away somewhere. Northern NSW preferably. That’s the limit.

Might as well have merged with the Bears and followed their model of playing 3 games on the Central Coast and 1 at North Sydney Oval every year and had the financial stability of their leagues clubs backing us. We didn’t want that then and was a key factor in why we backed Daryl and Rebecca.

Be GC.

I agree with you Bods in that one game perhaps two home games away is the limit. For me it's probably one.

One thing people seem to forget these days is that since the new media deal, clubs are funded by grants to the value of the salary capplus 30% (I think). They only need to cover admin costs (non playing staff and the cost of running games) and although these costs are significant a successful team results in bigger crowds and sponsorship revenues. Playing your games at home surely makes it easier to win.
A few weeks ago Darryl Kelly said the poor performances this year would result in them making a loss when in fact they had expected a small surplus. This implies that we DO NOT need to take games away for the owners to make a profit. The danger of private ownership is that there is profit....and larger profit and while I don't want our owners to make a loss I don't want them to sell our soul just to make a bigger profit. If I could be convinced that our survival required games to be taken away then ok, and I agree that we should play a game away as part of Magic Round or in the scrub to help grow the game but that is all. Darryl's words indicate to me that we do not need to take games away.

Dobes
08-09-19, 08:16 PM
Good to see this stupid shxt refuted by the owners.

Titans owners put rumours to bed about team relocating to Brisbane

“WE’RE not going anywhere.”

That’s the defiant message from Gold Coast Titans owners Rebecca Frizelle and Daryl Kelly, who have put to bed the scuttlebutt and “ignorant opinions” about the Coast franchise packing up shop and moving up the road to Brisbane.

Ms Frizelle said despite all of the talk, the team cannot legally be moved unless the co-owners decide they want to do that.

“We haven’t paid it much attention, because we thought it was so fanciful and ridiculous, we just put it to the side and thought ‘how silly, no one is going to buy into that’,” Ms Frizelle said.

“But it unsettles our fans and members, which is fair enough, so we need to put this to rest.

“It just won’t happen, legally, despite what anybody wants, it can’t happen unless the Frizelle’s and the Kelly’s agree to it. And we’re never going to agree to it.

“I think the hard part for us is the game has a problem with people who suffer from relevance syndrome, it’s a terrible virus in rugby league, but it strikes a number.

“I think we sometimes fall at the hands of that, because we have so many wonderful helpers on the sidelines commenting that really have no understanding of what’s going on, none whatsoever.”

Titans co-owner Darryl Kelly said there was no chance of a move.

“We’re the only ones who can make the decision and we’re not going anywhere.

“We only invested for one reason, because we thought the Gold Coast deserved and needed a bloomin’ NRL side and it’s something we still believe in.

“We’ve had the club for two years, it’s a bit early days to be calling for it to be shifted.

“And as far as I understand it the broadcasters want more Queensland teams not less Queensland teams … why would you give up the Gold Coast for goodness sake, it’s rugby league heartland.”

Ms Frizelle said there was no way the NRL would let the Titans be moved from one of the greatest breeding grounds for rugby league talent in the country.

“The NRL did not spend 15 or 20 million dollars, a substantial amount of money, to keep the club alive after it went into administration, only to move it’s licence.

“If they were going to do it, they would have moved it then, when they were the owners, and they didn’t.

“They know how important it is to have a club here, it is very strategically important to them as a region, they are never doing it.

“We’re defending over 100 years of rugby league on the Gold Coast, it’s a heartland for rugby league, it’s the second largest junior nursery in the country, we’ve invested over $1.2 million in junior rugby league players that hasn’t been done before, if that isn’t a clear signal in what we’re doing to build for the future, than I don’t know what is.”

Although the Titans aren’t going anywhere, Ms Frizelle said she believes if another team is to go into Brisbane, a 16 team league would be the way forward.

“Firstly you’ve got to think about the funding model. Where’s the funding going to come from to field a 17th team? The clubs all get grants, there is only a certain amount of funding, so it’s got to come out of the existing clubs, who will have to accept less to fund another team.

“The broadcasters aren’t going to pay more to put another team in.

“You come back to that simple math, the clubs aren’t going to cop getting less than what they are now to put a 17th team in, this is my theory.

“You come back to the 16, it would make sense that they would move a club, or put out offers, but they can’t move any club, unless the club wants to move.

“The broadcasters don’t want less teams in Queensland, they want more.”

She said there has been a lot of great work going on off the field, with the club hopefully turning it around on the park next year.

“There are so many great things happening behind the scenes, the club has never been in a better position then it is now.

“Obviously our on field performance is disappointing, it’s certainly not where we expected it to be. We can’t forget half of our playing roster got lost to injury at the start of the year, we lost our two halves at the start, we lost our captain, ever since then, we’ve been ravaged by injury.

“We’re putting our tender together now to have an NRLW team and we will keep pressure on until we get one.

“We have some of the most loyal fans and members in the game and we have some of the best sponsors and partners in the game and we’re so appreciative of that. We will fight and continue the good fight and we won’t lose and we will be hear talking and laughing about this in another 20 years.”

Mr Bods
08-09-19, 08:26 PM
^^^^ Love It!!

Titanic
08-09-19, 09:51 PM
People who suffer from “relevance syndrome” ... you have to admit that shot at the NRL fringes has been a long time coming.

Whats Doing
08-09-19, 11:51 PM
Great article and I hope we keep the front foot on the throat of the scum like Badel and Rothfield

willhelm
09-09-19, 08:04 AM
Long overdue, love it

DavidBouveng
09-09-19, 09:08 AM
strong words.

Ive said all along that it would never happen simply due to the investment into pathways and also the new leagues club means our owners are committed and the only we move is if they want to and those investments mean they dont. you dont build a leagues club if you have one foot out the door.

And now they have said as much.

So the pity of it all is that so much media real estate is wasted on a nothing story. wasting 10-15 minutes of a one hour show on a fantasy.

BundyTitan
09-09-19, 09:13 AM
What an article, absolutely love it. Buzz can crawl back into his cave and realise we're here to stay on the GC. Something on twitter made me laugh, a year or two ago both Kent and Rothfield said that a Sydney team should be relocated and fast forward 2 years and they say you can't move a Sydney club as it would be detrimental and that the Titans should be moved :nope:

People in the media are only picking on us because we are coming last and have had our worst season to date. Yet still we average 2k more in crowd attendance than the "mighty" Red V. Glad to hear the owners are committed and now hopefully we can turn it around on the field in 2020 and beyond so these journo's jump off our back.

SCoast Titan
12-09-19, 08:16 PM
https://www.titans.com.au/news/2019/09/07/our-home-our-team/

The vid from presto should be sent to every nrl journo to show the passion and hard work that is on the Gold Coast

Mexican titan
16-09-19, 09:52 AM
58 - NIL. I think the Broncos should be relocated to be the second team on the Gold Coast. They are never going to win anything in Brisbane.

Whats Doing
16-09-19, 12:12 PM
58 - NIL. I think the Broncos should be relocated to be the second team on the Gold Coast. They are never going to win anything in Brisbane.

How sweet that game was.

Titanic
17-09-19, 02:23 AM
58 - NIL. I think the Broncos should be relocated to be the second team on the Gold Coast. They are never going to win anything in Brisbane. Bwahahaha that’s going straight to Courier Mail MT

SCoast Titan
17-09-19, 07:23 PM
I’m a Broncos fan. Here’s why their pub session pisses me off

September 17, 2019 3:50pmby Chris PaineSource: FOX SPORTS
Sep 20 20197:50PM

COMMENT

At least half a dozen Broncos were out at the pub late on a Saturday night in Sydney playing the pokies.

The club’s first question when we first contacted them with the story on Tuesday was: “Were they drinking?”. The implication is if they were just at the pub to play Queen of the Nile, where’s the problem?

Here’s the problem. I’m a lifelong Brisbane Broncos fan and it pisses me off. I don’t care if they were playing the pokies or not. I don’t care if they were drinking or not. They’re grown men on their own time and to be perfectly honest, it sounds like a half decent Saturday night. No, it pisses me off because about 16 hours later they had the biggest game of their season, and for many of the players the biggest of their careers. And they didn’t just fail, they quit. They quit on themselves, the club and the fans.

When it comes to professional sport, preparation is everything. Peyton Manning once drove through snow and unlocked the gates of his team’s headquarters himself at 11pm to start preparing for the Super Bowl. This was roughly half an hour after winning one of the biggest games of his career. He was straight into the film room, getting himself prepared, figuring out how to fix what few mistakes he’d made that night.

Michael Jordan once took a young Tiger Woods to Madison Square Garden at 5am the day of a game against the Knicks. He wanted to show him first-hand what being a professional looks like. Jordan made Woods toss him the ball with just the right amount of backspin, so he could practise his fade-away jumper. They practised it 200 times. That night, Jordan hit the game winner: a fade-away jumper.

Fans expect nothing more than effort. You play your heart out for my club, and do everything in your power to give your very best, you’ll never hear me complain. You want to know they care just as much as you do. That they have pride in the jersey you grew up wearing in the playground.

As a charmed Broncos fan growing up in Brisbane in the 90s, I just believed the club was supposed to win. What I now know is that it was supposed to win because Wayne Bennett built a winning culture through effort, hard work, respect and a commitment to excellence at all times. It’s no wonder the boys tell at least one yarn every week on The Matty Johns Podcast about a player who worked his **** off, and revel in the tale. Effort is everything.

I’m not sure there’s a world where I believe your best possible preparation for a must-win final, away from home, includes sneaking out the team hotel for a late-night pokies session. Far be it from me to decry a spin or two on Where’s The Gold on a Saturday evening, but I’m not the one here preparing to represent a professional rugby league club just hours later. If they’d gone out and belted the Eels, this wouldn’t be a story. But they didn’t, and it is.

When we contacted the Broncos earlier today, it was the first they’d heard of their players’ pokies outing. Anthony Seibold nor any of the Broncos officials had any idea. They told us they’d get us a response.

It’s a good thing the club is about to kick off a review. First item on the agenda: know everything about your operation. Not knowing is just as bad, if not worse, than knowing. It doesn’t say a hell of a lot about Seibold’s standing in that locker room. You can’t imagine a Wayne Bennett team pulling this sort of stunt.

Some of the culprits are just teenagers, but for some of the others -- Gillett, Milford, McCullough -- these are veteran leaders. They should know better. They should know what excellence looks like and set the tone, not join in on the shenanigans.

I was six years old when Steve ‘The Pearl’ Renouf took a long pass from Alfie Langer on the first tackle and sprinted 95 metres to score one of the great grand final tries. The Broncos went on to belt the Dragons 28-8 and win the first of five premierships that decade. I was 12 when Gorden Tallis won the Clive Churchill Medal in his first season as a Bronco. I was 14 when Shane Webcke played in the 2000 grand final with a broken arm. I was 20 when the Broncos won a title to end Webcke’s final game, Darren Lockyer’s finest season. And we beat the Storm. Everyone loves to beat the Storm.

I no longer recognise the club I grew up holding in the highest esteem. I’m not sure how old I’ll be when I do.

I know this is an article about the donkeys but a lot of what this guy is saying we have said about our club. If only some of our players showed half the passion that some of our biggest supporters do (most are on here)

Titanic Believer
17-09-19, 08:41 PM
That's a good read and spot on what it takes to get to the top. Our team doesn't have the same history of success. But my hope has always been to follow a team that cares and tries 100 percent when they take the field.

Toads
18-09-19, 08:35 AM
It's all starting to unravel like I mentioned it would earlier this year. The internal review is about to begin, and there will be some players shown the door. But the biggest scalps will be Paul White and Anthony Seibold.

Then all hail, Kevvie Walters. Like the long term Drongo fan that wrote the piece above, they will see Walters as their savior and able to instil some culture back into the joint. It'll take them another couple of seasons to figure out Walters wasn't the answer either. Drongoes' fan best get used to their team to under performing for a few years to come. :laugh:

willhelm
18-09-19, 08:44 AM
No way they sack Seibold one year into a five year contract, especially since they made the 8.

Toads
18-09-19, 08:55 AM
Haha, they stumbled into the 8, and were exposed first game in. Also, it would appear Seibold has started to lose the group when the players opted to go out the night before.

Anyway, I'm not stating that's exactly how it's going to unfold. Just a gut feeling to what I think might come of that mob over time.

Mr Bods
18-09-19, 09:22 AM
Haha, they stumbled into the 8, and were exposed first game in. Also, it would appear Seibold has started to lose the group when the players opted to go out the night before.

Anyway, I'm not stating that's exactly how it's going to unfold. Just a gut feeling to what I think might come of that mob over time.

If any club can afford to pay out a long term coach it’s the Drongoes

JunctionBlock
18-09-19, 12:27 PM
We live on the Gold Coast. How many bikie organisations have we go that would knee cap our long term contract no hopers?

Toads
18-09-19, 01:26 PM
No way they sack Seibold one year into a five year contract, especially since they made the 8.

Also, it begs to question why someone would sign a unproven head coach to a 5 year contract. It hints towards someone making a desperate move to cover their butt. I hope this is also questioned in their internal review.

As much as a turd Bennett can be. They should've done what they couldve to retain him. I wouldn't be surprised there was a great Mexican stand-off between Bennett and White, and White blinked first and Bennett had his way from there on. I'm sure doing White slowly bought much joy to Bennett probably more so than what the final payout figure bought him. :laugh:

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing, the Nick "58-Nil" would be a great name for a trolling account on the Drongoes forum. ;)

Mr Bods
26-09-19, 06:12 PM
They can’t even sell 20000 tickets for Easts to play a GF Qualifier. They should be the team moved to Brisbane.

Mexican titan
26-09-19, 06:29 PM
They can’t even sell 20000 tickets for Easts to play a GF Qualifier. They should be the team moved to Brisbane.

The strange thing is that I was at the gf last year and there was easily 40k roosters supporters there. I think they are just used to success and will probably just wait to go next week. If only we had that choice here.

JunctionBlock
26-09-19, 08:32 PM
They're giving away free tickets so why would you pay.

Menoitios
27-09-19, 09:15 AM
If any club can afford to pay out a long term coach it’s the Drongoes

Included in his 5 year deal (with an option for a sixth) is a performance based termination clause with an agreed pay out figure should the broncos choose to part ways with Seibold. If they decide to punt him...they only have to pay him 12 months salary...not the remainder of what they may owe.

I don't think he was under much pressure this year...but next year will see him under the pump!

DIEHARD
28-09-19, 01:13 PM
This freaked me out. I thought this story was reheated again. I can't be involved with anything Ribot touches.

DIEHARD
28-09-19, 01:14 PM
I'm sure one day soon Walters will be Broncos coach. He will have the weight of the old boys behind him.

Whats Doing
28-09-19, 07:53 PM
There was an mystic article the week after the Broncos got turfed out about all is not right within a certain playing group. Whilst no club was mentioned it seemed to me from the timing of the article that it was the Broncos. I just feel that Siebel has lost the playing group and it would not surprise me that Walters will be there as coach in 2021

Menoitios
02-10-19, 10:29 AM
Walters was on a mission this year wasn't he? His commentary (death riding with thinly veiled comments about their poor coaching) was a joy to watch and hear. Good on him! The more drama the better for the broncos I reckon!!