PDA

View Full Version : Round 8: COWBOYS vs TITANS (2019)

DIEHARD
28-04-19, 12:46 PM
COWBOYS vs TITANS

FRIDAY 3RD MAY 2019
Venue: 1300SMILES Stadium
#NRLCowboysTitans

DIEHARD
28-04-19, 12:57 PM
Hey Titans friends. Sorry I've dropped off the face of the earth. I went to Japan for a couple weeks and then ended up getting some sort of flu that I am still trying to fight off. That said I did manage to enjoy the two wins we got lately. And saw the first half of yesterday's match. I'll be catching up with everyone's comments and the remainder of the match, as well as this press conference from the coach. Thanks to every for starting the new match threads.

lonegull
28-04-19, 04:27 PM
Good timing for titans Jason tamoulolo will be back

TitanPremiership
28-04-19, 08:00 PM
I just wanted to be the one to say "Mini GF"!

Titanic Believer
28-04-19, 08:04 PM
Are we going to play the Cows into form?

Mr Bods
28-04-19, 08:10 PM
This group needs to get some credibility and respect back. At 2W 5L that’s all they have to play for and if they respect Brennan they will deliver an 80min effort this week.
If they think Brennan is a nuffy then we will see the usual indifferent slop again which is “our brand” these days when we play Brennan-ball.

For mine our “mini GF” was round 3 v Souffs and we are nowhere near playing another one.
We need to stop being slop and nothing else.

JunctionBlock
29-04-19, 06:41 AM
Why doesn't the Captain have to go to the presser after the game with the coach? What should happen is the press gets to ask the coach to turn up with a nominated player ie Ash Taylor. Make these numptys answer for themselves why they seem disinterested. Put them on the spot. Maybe the club after the open training session could open the floor to fans to ask questions. I'd leave work to go down there if I had the chance to confront them face to face.

BundyTitan
29-04-19, 09:14 AM
What is even more shocking and confusing to me about Ash is that I thought for sure that having Big Mal around the club would fire him up and get him performing. Having an ex QLD coach and current Aus coach around, wouldn't you want to impress him and stake your claim (he's openly talked about his desire to play Origin) but he's not even in the discussions now and rightly so. He is actually looking fitter this year and has lost some weight but still can't make a tackle and even his kicking game isn't leading to points now. He's gone so far backwards and looks like he'd rather be out at Surfers rather than playing footy. No longer can he use the excuse of "being young" or "not having stability in the halves". He's got his best mate alongside him and he's now 24, he should be leading the side and we built the club around him. But instead he's throwing the towel in and not giving a crap (he's not alone but he's on a million bucks so deserves to wear the main of the criticism). All I can say is thank god we have Tyrone.

ozynorts
30-04-19, 03:18 PM
Titans vs Cowboys
Friday, May 3rd, Cbus Super Stadium, 6:00pm

Titans: 1. Michael Gordon, 2. Anthony Don, 3. Tyrone Peachey, 4. Brian Kelly, 5. Phillip Sami, 6. Tyrone Robert, 7. Ashley Taylor, 8. Jarrod Wallace, 9. Mitch Rein, 10. Shannon Boyd, 11. Kevin Proctor, 12. Bryce Cartwright, 13. Jai Arrow
Interchange: 14. AJ Brimson, 15. Moeaki Fotuaika, 16. Keegan Hipgrave, 17. Max King
Reserves: 18. Jai Whitbread, 19. Jack Stockwell, 20. Will Matthews, 21, Jesse Arthurs

Cowboys: 1. Jordan Kahu, 2. Justin O’Neill, 3. Tom Opacic, 4. Enari Tuala, 5. Ben Hampton, 6. Jake Clifford, 7. Michael Morgan, 8. Matthew Scott, 9. Jake Granville, 10. Jordan McLean, 11. Gavin Cooper, 12. Josh McGuire, 13. John Asiata
Interchange: 14. Kurt Baptiste, 15. Coen hess, 16. Scott Bolton, 17. Francis Molo
Reserves: 18. Corey Jensen, 19. Mitchell Dunn, 20. Jason Taumalolo, 21. Gideon Gela-Mosby

JunctionBlock
30-04-19, 03:29 PM
I had this image in my mind of Brennan wiping his brow and saying "phew" when we are able to bring back injured players so he doesn't have to make the hard decisions that, at this point, probably need to be made.

At least LoLo is on the extended bench again.

Upthetits
30-04-19, 03:53 PM
Isnt this game in townsville??

Mr Bods
30-04-19, 04:35 PM
Brennan is incapable of making a tough decision
He is an indifferent players (Taylor Proctor) best friend

TitansFan
30-04-19, 04:43 PM
How Proctor makes that starting side ahead of any of those blokes in jerseys 15-19 is beyond me.

Hopefully the inclusion of Brimson can make a difference.

ozynorts
30-04-19, 04:46 PM
Isnt this game in townsville??

That’s hilarious, I just did a copy and paste from the net.

Mr Bods
30-04-19, 05:41 PM
How Proctor makes that starting side ahead of any of those blokes in jerseys 15-19 is beyond me.

Hopefully the inclusion of Brimson can make a difference.

Agree 100% with you but having said that I don’t think at the moment the make up of the 17 is all that relevant. Our squad has an attitude problem and that’s the only issue that needs addressing.

Mr Bods
02-05-19, 05:38 PM
Anyone know which 2 players have been culled from the list of 21 so far?

Just googled and found it’s Matthews and Arthurs

Taumalolo is still in the NQ squad

Chinners
02-05-19, 06:16 PM
Don v Hampton in the air would surely be a target. And then out to the left, could get some rewards bombing O'Neill

JunctionBlock
02-05-19, 06:38 PM
Runours floating around the SuperCoach realm is that Arrow will be out this week with a knee injury. Anyone hear anything more than rumours at this stage?

Mr Bods
02-05-19, 06:46 PM
^^^ on the website there’s photos of him training freely with no strapping on his knees. Find it highly unlikely.

Upthetits
02-05-19, 07:50 PM
Don v Hampton in the air would surely be a target. And then out to the left, could get some rewards bombing O'Neill

Welcome mate, i truly hope so

TitanPremiership
02-05-19, 10:14 PM
I must've just got really negative last week after we started getting pumped... just wrote a massive thing about line speed and how it would not only reduce the penalties as we wouldn't have to lie on the opposition as much but also put less stress on the defensive line. To justify my point I rewatched bits and pieces of the game, but from what I saw it was actually alot better then what it seemed in my memory. I think that is going to be one of the biggest things for us this week especially if Taumalolo is included in the side. The Tigers just seemed to get plenty of post contact metres and that resulted in the excessive lying to allow for the reset of our line (hence the penalties, gees a few were dodgy though). Can't afford that this week. Also expecting a big one from Taylor. No halves get 3 weeks to get their act together at other clubs and some article referencing Mal talking about Taylor this week has given me hope. Never been able to be too negative about the bloke after some of the wins he has put together over the years but we are a third of the way through the season and realistically we are 2-5 with one of those wins being just about gifted to us by the Knights. Cowboys attack is also strongest going down the defences right edge from what I could tell so he is going to have to muscle up in defence. Personally I haven't been impressed with Peachey at all regardless of what the commentators seem to keep saying. Most of the tigers tries last weekend went down his side and I thought Kelly played alot better on that side of the field against the Knights so a bit confused with the switch. edit: Tyrone had to play in the middle however, no tries went outside Kelly against the Knights. The one where Ponga slipped through seemed to be between the two Tyrones.

Sorry for the massive amount of blabber but would be good to hear some others thoughts on some of it.

gotitans101_
02-05-19, 10:18 PM
Runours floating around the SuperCoach realm is that Arrow will be out this week with a knee injury. Anyone hear anything more than rumours at this stage?

Yeah I saw that too. You'd think there'd at least be some strapping on it though like Bodsy said it were true.

Titanic
03-05-19, 08:18 AM
The rise and fall of the performances is not surprising really but Taylor is either carrying an injury or psychologically damaged. His form is woeful. Kelly on the left, Cartwright on the right, Peachey off the bench and Proctor at Pizzey.

ja4220
03-05-19, 10:07 AM
Proctor at Pizzey.

The Bears are going alright,what makes you think we'd want him ;)

SCoast Titan
03-05-19, 11:49 AM
Love 'em or hate 'em, just don't ignore 'em

Author
Tony Webeck
NRL.com reporter
Timestamp
Fri 3 May 2019, 09:00 AM

Whether the Titans win or lose on Friday night isn't the problem; it's the fact not enough people care either way that should have players and club officials most concerned.

Every club in the Telstra Premiership wants to be loved and have the various merchandise and membership revenue streams associated with that but you are doing something right if there is a healthy dose of hatred among the constituents of the 15 other NRL fan bases.

Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold is experiencing more pressure than the lungs of a rookie free diver just eight weeks into the gig because for all of their big crowds and large membership there are plenty who hate the Broncos.

A trophy cabinet with six premierships tends to do that to people.

Despite two grand finals in the space of four years, Cowboys coach Paul Green is suddenly under the pump as the rugby league world ponders why the giants of North Queensland have suddenly fallen asleep.

Cowboys v Titans - Round 8

>
Cowboys v Titans - Round 8
Everyone who lives outside of Dee Why and Collaroy hates Manly because... well, because they're Manly, and that seems to be working a treat for Des and his patchwork quilt of a football team.

Like Brisbane and most recently Melbourne and the Roosters, eight grand final appearances since 1987 is all the fuel haters need for anti-Sea Eagles sentiment to run rife.

Whipping boys for so long, it became apparent many people hated Souths when they won the 2014 premiership.

Ridiculed, yes, but hated? Apparently so.

Respect – however begrudgingly it may be given – is often the underlier of the teams we despise.

Success breeds its own level of contempt because it makes the team that we support suddenly feel inferior but at least they elicit an emotional response.

The same can't be said of the Titans.

Titans forward Keegan Hipgrave.
Titans forward Keegan Hipgrave.
©Scott Davis/NRL Photos
Gold Coast residents bask in the sun of the eastern stand dressed in the colours of the visiting team and more often than not head home to Burleigh, Miami or Palmy happy their local side has lost.

The Titans do have a small band of extremely devoted fans but unlike the Burrow, the Kennel or the Bronx Nation, people don’t hate those in the Legion, they feel sorry for them.

Hatred in sport is a sign of respect and this Gold Coast team is yet to earn it.

Senior players know a loss this week could be all but fatal to their finals hopes but after last week's capitulation to the Wests Tigers most people expect them to play the Cowboys into some form rather than bounce back.

At least when they had Greg Bird there was a lightning rod for opposition fans to focus on but until Keegan Hipgrave can string three games together there's no one player considered worthy of booing.

Say what you want about the after-effects of the Jarryd Hayne circus but for the 12 months he spent at the club, the Titans mattered.

State Of Origin: Rivalry Without Rival - Rabbitohs

>
State Of Origin: Rivalry Without Rival - Rabbitohs
They mattered to members, supporters, Gold Coasters and opposition fans. What they did on and off the field mattered to media outlets up and down the eastern seaboard in anticipation of the ‘Hayne Plane’ taking flight.

The Titans kick off Magic Round next Thursday but if you went purely off the promotion of Brisbane’s festival of rugby league you’d be forgiven for thinking they’d been given the weekend off.

People rarely talk about the Titans because in their eyes they simply don't matter.

"I'd liked to be talked about for the right reasons,” says coach Garth Brennan.

“We've got to be performing on the field to be talked about in those veins.”

And Brennan’s right. The Titans will only earn respect by winning games and it has to start on Friday night.

It won’t be easy – no game in the NRL ever is – but however they go about it the Titans have to return from Townsville with two competition points.

If they don’t, Gold Coast won’t be talked about negatively, they simply won’t be talked about at all.

Mr Bods
03-05-19, 12:01 PM
^^^^ yeah that’s right. Due to our players and coach we have no respect and yes there are many campaigners that live in our community that go to one game a year where they hate on their own community, the one that gives them a great life. Ingrates.

To me given we are 2W 5L (great job Brennan) the focus purely is respect and relevance

NZFan
03-05-19, 01:36 PM
I saw that trailer last night for the magic weekend during the Matty Johns show. The Titans and I think the Cowboys were the only two teams that didn't have a highlight clip feature with one of their players in it. Anyway, I agree with most of that article. The thing about Hayne is he did bring media attention and the Titans just don't seem to get a mention otherwise.

We need to start winning. Like Mal said at the start of the season, anything short of making the 8 is a fail. If we lose tonight and results go against us we could actually be sitting last after a third of the competition.

Titanic
03-05-19, 03:43 PM
I noticed we weren’t in the promo too plus the first game of the magic round ... rubbish but looking forward to tonight just the same.

Mr Bods
03-05-19, 04:00 PM
The game should be at CBUS
It’s not a double header or triple header so it’s different

Most people wouldn’t be heading up for the magic round till Friday arvo anyway

I think people who are going up for the entire thing including our match wouldn’t have minded spending Thursday and Friday here anyway before going up to Brisbane for the weekend

It’s stupid

- - - Updated - - -

No late changes we are 1-17

- - - Updated - - -

And Taumalolo is starting

timor 2
03-05-19, 04:25 PM
Hope boyd and arrow mark taumaolo like pangi jnr did for the Broncos .. ..

GCTTSD
03-05-19, 04:39 PM
This should be the final straw for ash, of he doesn't take contrl and do his job he should be dropped to reserve grade or the injury ward if he's not fit now that Brimsons back

gotitans101_
03-05-19, 04:43 PM
I noticed we weren’t in the promo too plus the first game of the magic round ... rubbish but looking forward to tonight just the same.

Yep, noticed this too. Disgraceful.

NZFan
03-05-19, 04:47 PM
Agreed Bods. Would be much better playing that game at home. I can't imagine there will be much of a crowd on the Thursday.

The away kit that we are wearing must be the uglist kit in the competition.

Can't help feeling that we are going to be up against it in the forwards tonight. Arrow up against JT is a close competition but I'd give every one of their forwards the nod one on one, if I had to choose between them

Dooldog76
03-05-19, 04:55 PM
I'm tipping AJ to have a blinder.

JunctionBlock
03-05-19, 05:10 PM
I'm tipping AJ to have a blinder.

Looks like Gordon will be off and AJ on sooner than expected.

This will be interesting if he makes the position his. Heres his chance

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe not

5 Year Contract
03-05-19, 05:13 PM
ballhandling....ballhandling...****ING BALLHANDLING!!!! every week! are we a legit NRL team. how many more sitters are we going to drop

Nam78
03-05-19, 05:14 PM
Wow a terrible attempt from Arrow.

gotitans101_
03-05-19, 05:22 PM
ffs Wallace is so soft. He just jogs into their defensive line every single time. There's no oomph in his runs at all. Plodder.

Titanic
03-05-19, 05:29 PM
Arrows missed tackles for both tries ... that middle is crap

gotitans101_
03-05-19, 05:30 PM
Thanks a lot Sami you dead ****

Mexican titan
03-05-19, 05:31 PM
Dropped ball by AJ and an out on the full by Roberts, two tries. Can anyone in this team concentrate for 80 minutes without gifting tries.

Please allow this try. Tough call but Sami you goose

gotitans101_
03-05-19, 05:31 PM
Sick of the dead****s in this team. **** it.

JunctionBlock
03-05-19, 05:33 PM
Sick of the dead****s in this team. **** it.

Just jumped back in here to same the same thing. We are the dumbest ****ing team in the NRL. What a stupid ****

- - - Updated - - -

Sami needs to be dropped next week totally based on that. Bring back Lee

NZFan
03-05-19, 05:33 PM
Doesn't that just summarise our season. The discipline in this club is just disgusting. That would have been one for the highlight reel that we would have seen over and over again.

Nam78
03-05-19, 05:34 PM
No words!......

JunctionBlock
03-05-19, 05:36 PM
Ever seen a ref change his mind? Just watch a Titans game.

5 Year Contract
03-05-19, 05:36 PM
Im just so tired of this team. A first grade team doesnt constantly make these bonehead mistakes. Every week we compete but we are just let down by constant errors and dumb plays. Been this way since carty. I really miss the days of enjoying watching rugby league. Seem few and far between these days

Mexican titan
03-05-19, 05:37 PM
What a bs penalty. You are meant to stand up and play the effing ball.

In general play we have shown enough to win this but the errors and dumb play will probably let the cows get too far away.

JunctionBlock
03-05-19, 05:38 PM
What a bs penalty. You are meant to stand up and play the effing ball.

Look who ruled on it, our mate Badger, the biggest cheating ref in the NRL. He overruled the main ref!!!!!

NZFan
03-05-19, 05:40 PM
Arthars in for Sami next week. If Brennan doesn't drop him after that then we will never change. Lee is crap, Arthars is outplaying him in QCup

gotitans101_
03-05-19, 05:41 PM
Bryce Cartwright, the guy that no club except us wanted.

5 Year Contract
03-05-19, 05:42 PM
WOW!!! dumb play cartwright followed by penalty on the 5th!!! On fire boys!!!!

JunctionBlock
03-05-19, 05:43 PM
Another 5th tackle penalty after a 1% pass from Cartwrong to no one to a side of the field whereby my mate Sami can't even run. FFS have we got a coach sending down messages or is he writing his defeat speech for the presser.

Nam78
Soft penalties! What!!!!!

5 Year Contract
I honestly think we are a better team than the cowboys right now but we just cant execute basics. We are our own worst enemy.

Mexican titan
03-05-19, 05:44 PM
Two 5th tackle penalties on our line. Have our blokes got no game sense. Especially with trigger finger Badger around.

JunctionBlock
03-05-19, 05:45 PM
Arthars in for Sami next week. If Brennan doesn't drop him after that then we will never change. Lee is crap, Arthars is outplaying him in QCup

You're probably right,but it doesn't matter anymore with this rabble.

5 Year Contract
03-05-19, 05:46 PM
You're probably right,but it doesn't matter anymore with this rabble.

Proctor can join him. Offers 0

Mr Bods
03-05-19, 05:47 PM
I’m angry with both our players, our coach but mainly the referees and bunker

This is match fixing

JunctionBlock
03-05-19, 05:48 PM
Brennan needs to make the statement now. If Sami comes back out for the second half then I'm done.

- - - Updated - - -

This is match fixing

Bunker has been spot on. The rest I agree with though. **** Badger

NZFan
03-05-19, 05:50 PM

This is match fixing

Our players need to be held accountable for this one. The coach has no idea but he can't physically stop them from giving away stupid penalties

JunctionBlock
03-05-19, 05:51 PM
Our players need to be held accountable for this one. The coach has no idea but he can't physically stop them from giving away stupid penalties

Mondays email from Mal will be his resignation. Why would you hang around for this ****

gotitans101_
03-05-19, 05:52 PM

agree 100%.

TitansState
Held my tongue last week about it being the Coach's fault. Can't find myself blaming players who I don't even think should be on the team. So long as he keeps fielding the same team, whatever.

Dooldog76

This is match fixing

I agree. They are looking for ways for us to lose.

5 Year Contract
03-05-19, 05:53 PM

Agreed some soft penalties. Refs didnt kick the ball out on the full, drop 2 sitters 10m out. throw 2 absolute 1% chance passes 5m out from the try line. Sometimes you cop some rough referring but we put up absolute horse **** that first half and deserve every point against us.

Mexican titan
03-05-19, 05:53 PM
Brennan needs to make the statement now. If Sami comes back out for the second half then I'm done.

- - - Updated - - -

Bunker has been spot on. The rest I agree with though. **** Badger

I agree re Sami JB but i wouldn't waste a change on him now. As i say to my staff on Fridays - don't worry about it now, lets discuss it first thing Monday.

If we were closer I'd back us in from here but we won't be able to put 40 minutes together.

JunctionBlock
03-05-19, 05:57 PM
I agree re Sami JB but i wouldn't waste a change on him now. As i say to my staff on Fridays - don't worry about it now, lets discuss it first thing Monday.

If we were closer I'd back us in from here but we won't be able to put 40 minutes together.

He's lame (not to mention stupid), no need for him to be out there. Make your changes and game plan in the dressing room and tell the moron to organise his own flights home.

Deadset if I was in that dressing room I'd be throwing mobile phones at half the players with the Neds app up and tell them to smile for the camera.

5 Year Contract
03-05-19, 05:57 PM

Most frustrating thing MT! Id take 40mins of good footy from us. Can you imagine 80 mins if we put together just play simple footy? Yeah there will be mistakes yeah there will be the odd penalty but if we could just go a full 80 minutes with no silly mistakes (dropping 2 sitters 10m out, cartwrights 2x waste of possession passes, kick out on the full for no reason and most importantly no dumb penalties). Are we a different team? I dont know? I sure as **** think we win some of thee 50/50 games we always seem to lose.

Mr Bods
03-05-19, 05:58 PM
I’m angry with everyone
Referees
Bunker
Brennan
Players
Cartwright
Proctor

This match should be closer despite our dumbness and brain farts

It’s just so upsetting
When they bring the effort and are smart they display sublime attacking skills but then they do dumb things or are soft on the line and the referees are looking to ping us but give us nothing in return

Then people see our team struggling and use it to have a go at our city and community when most of us are aspirational hard working trustworthy and trying to build something here

It’s crap and it Sucks and we do it too tough

Let’s hope for a second half we deserve

5 Year Contract
03-05-19, 06:01 PM
He's lame (not to mention stupid), no need for him to be out there. Make your changes and game plan in the dressing room and tell the moron to organise his own flights home.

Deadset if I was in that dressing room I'd be throwing mobile phones at half the players with the Neds app up and tell them to smile for the camera.

I wish we had a coach who did that. Obviously more interested in being everyone's friend then calling out this bull**** we keep putting up. Where is the pride in the jersey. where is the pride in the team you coach. Hell its your job and you continue this you wont see out the season (well you wouldnt if you were at a club who had money)

- - - Updated - - -

I’m angry with everyone
Referees
Bunker
Brennan
Players
Cartwright
Proctor

This match should be closer despite our dumbness and brain farts

It’s just so upsetting
When they bring the effort and are smart they display sublime attacking skills but then they do dumb things or are soft on the line and the referees are looking to ping us but give us nothing in return

Then people see our team struggling and use it to have a go at our city and community when most of us are aspirational hard working trustworthy and trying to build something here

It’s crap and it Sucks and we do it too tough

Let’s hope for a second half we deserve

100% bods! The talk of expansion comes up we will be first team thrown up to be relocated because we have been awful for years. Im positive there is a good team here but ive yet to see a 80 minute performance. Its so frustrating when every year you think "is this the year" and its just a repeat. We are all diehards, we all want this team to succeed. Its up to the team now to want it too because there seems to be a hell of alot of player on the field who could give a **** about this club

JunctionBlock
03-05-19, 06:06 PM
People that aren't members will no longer be fans. People that are members will be armchair supporters. Clubs dead in a couple of years if this keeps up. Simple as that.

5 Year Contract
03-05-19, 06:10 PM
Proctor breaks the line?!?! Part of that try belongs to hipgrave. The desperation chasing that ball for the dropout then backs it up with a charging run off the kick off. Thats what I like to see

Mexican titan
That's the first team that's fallen for the Taylor to Proctor pass in two years. They are there to be beaten.

JunctionBlock
Good start to the 2nd half, but where my heads at right now all I can think is that Taylor and Proctor will think the short ball works because they scored a try after the 1398th attempt.

gotitans101_
03-05-19, 06:11 PM
Nice kick Ash trololo

5 Year Contract
03-05-19, 06:11 PM
First set back out on the full. AGAIN!!!! can we ****ing execute like a first grade team

JunctionBlock
03-05-19, 06:20 PM
With that kick return we may as well have kicked it out on the full again

- - - Updated - - -

Ref raped on that one as usual

- - - Updated - - -

Now the cowboys are allowed to interchange when a scrum is being packed. So I guess it's make your own rules up tonight

Mexican titan
03-05-19, 06:20 PM
What effing double knock on. Back from Peachey

Fark these errors. Just give them the try so we can get up the other end.

Boonarga
03-05-19, 06:21 PM
Peachey didn't knock-on you tossers

Mr Bods
03-05-19, 06:22 PM
Unbelievable the Peachey decision then
Cheats

JunctionBlock
03-05-19, 06:26 PM
Yew scored.

Mexican titan
03-05-19, 06:26 PM
Nice try. I ragged Ash recently but he's been much improved tonight.

JunctionBlock
03-05-19, 06:27 PM
Nice try. I ragged Ash recently but he's been much improved tonight.

When Ash takes it to the line and takes the hit amazing things happen

TitansState
03-05-19, 06:27 PM
Can't wait to get Gordon back at starting fullback next. Obviously he is 10x the player Brimson is and looks we're really missing him and his errors.

JunctionBlock
03-05-19, 06:28 PM
Can't wait to get Gordon back at starting fullback next. Obviously he is 10x the player Brimson is and looks we're really missing him and his errors.

Go home TitansState you're drunk :laugh:

Mr Bods
03-05-19, 06:28 PM
This is why I always say AJ at FB and Gordon must be on a Wing
Listen to Mr Bods

Mexican titan
03-05-19, 06:29 PM
I must have missed them say Boyd is injured?

Oh there he is. He's played 20 minutes. Must get more out of him.

TitansState
03-05-19, 06:29 PM
Listen to Mr Bods

Same same

JunctionBlock
03-05-19, 06:38 PM
T Roberts gone and with it our chance of winning

- - - Updated - - -

Goodnight sweetheart. Titans owners and promoters can't complain we don't get free to air games when this is what we turn out

- - - Updated - - -

No urgency to pack the scrum with 10 to go. This team are here for the paycheck. Love the club but **** this team.

Mexican titan
03-05-19, 06:40 PM
I reckon we've been a bit stiff....but at the end of the day the cows are a crap side and we should be beating sides like this.

JunctionBlock
03-05-19, 06:50 PM
I reckon we've been a bit stiff....but at the end of the day the cows are a crap side and we should be beating sides like this.

Spoonville. Population: Titans

- - - Updated - - -

Hahahahaha may as well sack the membership team. Won't need one next year. Our players must be seeing double and trying to tackle the illusion rather than the player. ****ing embarrassment.

Dooldog76
03-05-19, 06:51 PM
We did lose 3 players tonight

NSW Titan
03-05-19, 06:52 PM
Is it too much to ask that your team is competitive week in week out.. I've forgotten what it feels like to enjoy watching football

C-Whiz
03-05-19, 06:53 PM
That last 90 seconds is EXACTLY what we are. A team that will try early, but we are quitters at the end.
We can talk about the try's tha might have been, but better teams, with more maturity and better leaders would have at least played out the 80 and saved some respect for themselves and the fans. No excuses for that last minute.

TitansState
03-05-19, 06:54 PM
Positives from tonight: AJ Brimson
Positives for next week: Garth will probably reward Brimson with that special spot on the bench with the prize number 14 jersey.

In all seriousness though, I'd like to see Arthars get a run next week.

Dooldog76
03-05-19, 06:54 PM
I thought Hipgrave was pretty good tonight.

Mr Bods
03-05-19, 07:00 PM
Argggggggggggggg so frustrating
These guys they take our money, enjoy the lifestyle, get loved by our loyal suffering fans but don’t make us proud and give our community and city a joyful buzz.

The referees sucked but our effort and application is not NRL standard. On average I reckon we get about 30mins per game where they are switched on and apply themselves.

Thanks Brennan. Thanks heaps mate. You really have not delivered on the BS you told us to get the job.

2W 6L is a crisis. Brennan has to go and he can take Hodges and Burt with him.

Mexican titan
03-05-19, 07:00 PM
Just back to Boyd. He played 20 minutes then had a massive break. Surely if he comes off after 20 minutes then has a 20 minute and half time break which is over half an hour, he should be right to start the second half. Why bring him back so late when the game is as good as gone. Another Brennan coaching mystery. But things are going well so why change things.

JunctionBlock
03-05-19, 07:03 PM
What if we were playing a quality team tonight? We just lost to a team lower than us on the ladder and they doubled our score! Imagine if that was any other team that might contend for the 8. Is there a mercy rule or would they allow a team to put 80 points on us?

Upthetits
03-05-19, 07:11 PM
We should have easily won that. I feel if we had only gordons injury we would have.
2 soft trys directly behind the ruck and 1 disallowed which should have been awarded.
3 injuries.
Brimson needs to start fullback.
Authers needs to take samis wing spot he hasnt impressed me since last year.

Also play short ball on block plays all first half. Play out the back all second half. Broncos done it for ages and it works. Few opportunities went begging wide

- - - Updated - - -

Just back to Boyd. He played 20 minutes then had a massive break. Surely if he comes off after 20 minutes then has a 20 minute and half time break which is over half an hour, he should be right to start the second half. Why bring him back so late when the game is as good as gone. Another Brennan coaching mystery. But things are going well so why change things.

Why would you waste an interchange? You cant sub players for fun at halftime this isnt under 10s. The team looked good tonight in attack minus cartwrights issues. Our defence needs work theres no doubt about that. Im happy with brennan for now i think theres alot of misdirected anger. Proctor needs to go. Brimson needs to start and authers needs to replace sami.

RavShamrock
03-05-19, 07:12 PM
Listen to Mr Bods

Actually Bodsie, I think you will get your wish next week as long as Gordon passes his tests?

Just need to find a new supersub

Boonarga
03-05-19, 07:25 PM
Proctor. In the second half. The outside=in play from Taylor to Proctor to Brimson. Cows had it covered all the way and were waiting to smash AJ. Proctor still went ahead and passed it because "hey, that's how the move goes!"

Mr Bods
03-05-19, 07:29 PM
Actually Bodsie, I think you will get your wish next week as long as Gordon passes his tests?

Gordon and Roberts both looked like concussions so they will play fingers crossed
Sami looks soft tissue so he will be gone a few weeks
I’m not sure if we have any troops returning, I don’t think we do. Copley is a few weeks off. We need more from Peachey too, play him at Lock

So in my post game anger with sweet FA thought here’s the team I want
AJ
Don
Kelly
Lee (maybe Arthur’s)
Gordon
Roberts
Taylor
Arrow
Rein
Wallace
Proctor
Hipgrave
Peachey

Boyd
Mo
King
Cartwright

JunctionBlock
03-05-19, 07:36 PM
Peachey is not a lock. He can't tackle, remember?

I just watched the presser on NRL.com, was it missing the first part of the interview? Started with Brennan saying about the NRL needs to consider an 18th man to cover the head knocks, then he does a shout out to TeMarie Martin and then jumps up and runs out.

Never mind found it on the Titans site. https://www.titans.com.au/news/2019/05/03/post-match-press-conference/

**** me sideways. He's happy with the gutsy performance. Has questioned the refs decision on the Sami interference, questioned the try awarded for the NQ 2nd last try and commended Sami for being gutsy and toughing it out with an injury.

Mexican titan
03-05-19, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE
hy would you waste an interchange? You cant sub players for fun at halftime this isnt under 10s.[/QUOTE]

So you are happy with way Boyd is being used. But you right it isn't under 10's. They play more minutes.

Mr Bods
03-05-19, 07:38 PM
Peachey is not a lock. He can't tackle, remember?

If he can play hooker then he can play Lock

JunctionBlock
03-05-19, 07:50 PM
If he can play hooker then he can play Lock

He can't play hooker. At this stage he can barely play centre. He's a centre/half/fullback.

Check out the press conference.

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2019/05/03/post-match-press-conference/

I'm thoroughly confused.

GCTTSD
03-05-19, 08:01 PM
Everyone at the club always seems to make excuses and accept mediocrity, we've got two quality centres, a half who should be next in line for Qld, and some rep forwards, we should be a top 8 side or atleast play consistent footy, and execute the basics, why have we never been able to do the simple things like run hard and tackle??

Upthetits
03-05-19, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE
hy would you waste an interchange? You cant sub players for fun at halftime this isnt under 10s.

So you are happy with way Boyd is being used. But you right it isn't under 10's. They play more minutes.[/QUOTE]

Personally id rather him off the bench for the last 15mins of first half and play first 20mins of second. A man with hs lateral movement and motor is not someone you want closing out a game for you in my opinion. But he did make that tackle out wide in the dying stages off a cows half break and i think hes been going alright last 2 weeks. Everyone sees things differently though mate no hard feelings

gotitans101_
03-05-19, 11:04 PM
All I know is that Brimson proved his worth at fullback....again. I don't know how many times Brennan has to see this to permanently make the switch. BLOOD HIM THERE FFS.

NZFan
04-05-19, 09:40 AM
If anyone wants to see how a decent coach handles a defeat like that watch Bellamy's press conference from last night.

Brennan's press conference was pathetic. Yes Granville made first contact but Sami doing that was just stupid and it was so unnecessary. There is no point in arguing with the refs about it because nothing can change now. Discipline Sami and demand better. That second point that he was arguing about was even worse. Cooper didn't even go into the line, he stopped well before it and affected no one. That happens all the time in general play and certainly didn't have an impact on the Cows scoring that try. Talk about diverting the blame rather than owning up to the teams mistakes. The ref's will never give us the rub of the green when we keep giving away stupid penalties. We are the most penalised team in the comp so fix it.

Brennan looks like a desperate man. His pride is getting in the way of him making the tough calls that he said he would do. How many times has he said that he won't rush AJ into first grade, even though he is the obvious choice and is clearly up for playing at that level.

I agree that Boyd needs to go on the bench and provide impact. Start Max King and give him a chance. Start some of these outside backs that haven't been given a crack, we already know what Copley, Lee and Sami can do - not much. Peachey and Cartwright are playing out of position and I can't help thinking that Brennan has made promises to them about having those positions, but they aren't performing. Just try something new Brennan - I'd take anything right now. The game plan with the players that are on the field just isn't working.

Titanic
04-05-19, 01:51 PM
Agree about Bellamy but he can do that. He has the team and the profile to take the high ground. Brennan is on the brink and the blokes he backed-in aren’t exactly returning the favor. I just watched the game again and in fairness if Brimson had started and Kelly and Cartwright minus Proctor had played in position we would have won that.

Bayside Titan
04-05-19, 02:01 PM
Only thing that I liked about the game was that we had set plays that executed well and the attack was showing a glimmer of hope. That is all.

Dobes
04-05-19, 02:08 PM
I reckon we field a team like this for the Sharks game:

1. Brimson
2. Don
3. Kelly
4. Peachey
5. Arthars
6. Roberts
7. Taylor
8. Wallace
9. Rein
10. King
11. Hipgrave
12. Cartwright
13. Arrow

14. Fotuaika
15. Boyd
16. Whitbread
17. Stockwell

It amazes me that Proctor is still getting a starting spot every week. You’ve only got to look at the Knights game (where he didn’t play) to see how much better we go without him. On top of that, putting players in positions that they actually favour will surely make a difference. I like Gordon, but no one can deny the impact that AJ brings to the team. He really lights a fire under everyone when he takes the field. If there was ever a time to try something new with the team, nows that time.

Upthetits
04-05-19, 02:24 PM
I reckon we field a team like this for the Sharks game:

1. Brimson
2. Don
3. Kelly
4. Peachey
5. Arthars
6. Roberts
7. Taylor
8. Wallace
9. Rein
10. King
11. Hipgrave
12. Cartwright
13. Arrow

14. Fotuaika
15. Boyd
16. Whitbread
17. Stockwell

It amazes me that Proctor is still getting a starting spot every week. You’ve only got to look at the Knights game (where he didn’t play) to see how much better we go without him. On top of that, putting players in positions that they actually favour will surely make a difference. I like Gordon, but no one can deny the impact that AJ brings to the team. He really lights a fire under everyone when he takes the field. If there was ever a time to try something new with the team, nows that time.

I dont mind that side. I like the 4 forward bench rotation. I used to feel proctors defence made up for his lack of anything in attack but his defensive reads or perhaps hes getting to tired but he needs a break.

NZFan
04-05-19, 03:14 PM
I like that team as well Dobes but I think I'd try Proctor on the left edge before dropping him all together. Him and Ash just aren't gelling so perhaps he would run better of Roberts. Also he could stiffen that troublesome left edge defence.

I like Hipgrave's enthusiasm from the bench as well so he would take Stockwell's place.

mdrew
06-05-19, 02:50 PM
NRL acknowledges two calls that went against us were wrong, being that Granville contacted Sami first and that the Hampton try should have been awarded a no try. SIGH

Mr Bods
06-05-19, 04:11 PM
NRL acknowledges two calls that went against us were wrong, being that Granville contacted Sami first and that the Hampton try should have been awarded a no try. SIGH

The Referees and Bunker constantly don’t give us the rub of the green

No sports fans put up with what Gold Coasters deal with

gcboyz
06-05-19, 10:09 PM
Rarely see a Titans try that is not referred to the bunker. They seem to be able to nit pick and find a reason that the try should be disallowed. Bunker official Horse Face, on field official Bludger, and Hopeless Henry.
Massive penalty differential in most games and it seems that it is not only opposition teams who have very little respect for us.

JunctionBlock
07-05-19, 11:02 AM
Mal's email had me very perplexed. Like I said after the watching the press conference, maybe I need to take a step back from league etc but if our club has gone from wanting a winning culture and taking the two points home through effort to what appears to be an attitude of well we didn't win but we didn't walk off the field in disgust of ourselves and the bad calls from the refs.

I don't get it. What am I missing? Yes our attack looked a hell of a lot better when AJ came on, Taylor played a hell of a lot better too, but look at the team we were playing!!!! They were below us on the table and in a form slump and we still can't beat them. Imagine if we played that game against the Rabbits or Roosters, it'd be a massacre.

lonegull
07-05-19, 11:12 AM
Couldn't agree more JunctionBlock I am a little lost on what direction this club is taking, Mal's email was very underwhelming so it seems to me the new culture at the club is that winning doesn't matter any more, not sure what to think at the moment

Mr Bods
07-05-19, 11:45 AM
Mal's email had me very perplexed. Like I said after the watching the press conference, maybe I need to take a step back from league etc but if our club has gone from wanting a winning culture and taking the two points home through effort to what appears to be an attitude of well we didn't win but we didn't walk off the field in disgust of ourselves and the bad calls from the refs.

I don't get it. What am I missing? Yes our attack looked a hell of a lot better when AJ came on, Taylor played a hell of a lot better too, but look at the team we were playing!!!! They were below us on the table and in a form slump and we still can't beat them. Imagine if we played that game against the Rabbits or Roosters, it'd be a massacre.

Mal’s email made me think he has run out of ideas and words of comfort. I think he’s over Brennan like the rest of us.

NZFan
07-05-19, 12:07 PM
Any chance someone could post the email?

JunctionBlock
07-05-19, 12:11 PM
Dear Shaun,

After a very disappointing Anzac week, what I wanted to see from the Titans against the Cowboys was a show of desire.

What I saw jump through the TV screen on Friday night was that the message of making performances matter is resonating with this team.

While leaving Townsville with the two points was the ultimate goal, being able to walk off the field with their heads held high was almost as important.

Yes, it was another loss.

But the performance of the team showed me the Titans have the attitude to want to get better, and get the best out of themselves.

I thought the game against the Cowboys was our best of the season so far to be honest. It was the most dangerous I have seen them in 2019.

They showed great character for the entire 80 minutes to keep hanging in there, when they had so many things going against them.

The Titans were down to 14 men at one stage because of HIA and injury. They were on the wrong end of some tough refereeing decisions, and luck was not on their side.

But they kept persevering. They kept themselves in the hunt.

They kept trying.

Yes, they made things tough for themselves as well – a 65 per cent completion rate was never going to cut the mustard against a team like the Cowboys who were there to just complete their sets.

But here is the thing – and you won’t hear a rugby league coach say this too often: I would prefer to see them play that style of footy and come up with errors, rather than tuck the ball under their arm and play safe to get to a completion rate of 80 per cent.

The only way this Titans team is going to consistently win matches is by playing to its strengths – and what we saw in Townsville is an indicator of what they are capable of.

They looked dangerous with the ball, they asked questions of North Queensland’s defence. They played with freedom and confidence with the ball, and showed great intent with their defence as well.

Yes, there were too many mistakes. But the last thing I would want to see this weekend against the Sharks is for them to go back into their shells because they are afraid of making errors.

The more they play to their strengths and back themselves, the better they will get at it, and the less mistakes they will make.

Perfect practice makes perfect. It starts at training. With a willingness to keep persevering, the rewards will come.

There are still plenty of things to work on as Garth Brennan and his team prepare the team this week. Our discipline is nowhere near where it needs to be.

We are the most penalised team in the competition, and that is
just not good enough.

We are making too many errors with and without the ball to be able to challenge the better teams ahead.

There’s a call within the side called “Scrap”. We need to “scrap” better.

Each player makes it their responsibility to win the contest when the ball is on the ground, a kick comes their way, or an effort is needed. Beat your opposition in every moment.

You must earn the right to win a game.

Like I said, in the game against the Cowboys, I saw a lot of those qualities in the way the Titans played. It is why I think the team is on the right track.

There is still plenty of time to achieve something this season if the players want it badly enough.

While I said all 17 players contributed to the loss to the Tigers, all 17 were responsible for a pleasing display of intent and purpose against the Cowboys.

The key now is for us to build on it, not go backwards because we are worried about making mistakes.

Our key word is accountability to make the right decision, and to execute the right skill when needed. If we have that desire to keep playing with similar intent, the more we will get it right.

Mal Meninga

NZFan
07-05-19, 04:30 PM
Thanks mate. Thats a very interesting take from Mal. Seems like he is running out of things to say

Titanic
07-05-19, 06:09 PM
I think he was just saying what he could to keep some forward momentum ... let's not forget that AJ only got on there because of an injury ... this is perplexing to say the least. I can't believe that Matthews hasn't made it back yet.

DIEHARD
08-05-19, 05:59 PM
It wasn't surprising to see Mal end up in this situation. There is only so many things you can say, especially with things not changing much in recent history. Being forced into a weekly email when the results really are going in the wrong direction can be a trap. I think Mal should just hold fire and chime in when he can and needs to, his impact would be greater. He doesn't need to tie himself to the week in week out results.