PDA

View Full Version : Round 2: SHARKS vs TITANS (2019)

DIEHARD
23-02-19, 01:34 PM
SHARKS vs TITANS
3pm, SATURDAY 23RD MARCH, Shark Park

https://www.titans.com.au/draw/

DIEHARD
18-03-19, 09:32 PM
Tyrone Roberts and Ash Taylor ruled out of Gold Coast Titans’ match against Cronulla Sharks
https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

GOLD Coast’s hopes of rebounding from Sunday night’s horror show against Canberra have already been dented.

Titans players are hoping for a big effort against Cronulla at Shark Park this Saturday to prove their 21-0 loss to the Raiders was a mere blip on the radar.

However, they will have to do so without both of their first-choice halves.

Tyrone Roberts was helped off the field in an injury-shortened Round 1 outing for the five-eighth. Picture: AAP Image
The Titans have confirmed five-eighth Tyrone Roberts will miss two to three weeks with the achilles strain that forced him off Cbus Super Stadium just 12 minutes into his return to the NRL from the English Super League.

Ash Taylor too will be forced to sit on the sidelines again due to a quad complaint.

The pair’s absence has brought Ryley Jacks firmly into calculations for a Titans debut, having spent the past two weeks playing for Tweed in the Intrust Super Cup.

Alternatively, Tyrone Peachey and AJ Brimson could again combine in the halves as they did for much of the Raiders clash – but there is a feeling that Jacks could provide more direction for the side’s attack.

DIEHARD
18-03-19, 09:34 PM
For anyone headed down or in the area.

Venue: Shark Park, NSW
Date: Sat 23 Mar 19 3:00pm - v Titans

https://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/Show.aspx?sh=SHA0219&utm_source=NRLTickets&utm_medium=Web&utm_campaign=2019Premiership

DIEHARD
18-03-19, 09:36 PM
Queensland Maroons prop Jarrod Wallace says Gold Coast Titans must quickly lift their NRL level

GOLD Coast prop Jarrod Wallace has slammed his side’s Round 1 performance as “unacceptable” and has called for a far better display against the Sharks this Saturday night.

After a pre-season full of hope, the Titans were badly beaten 21-0 by Canberra in wet conditions at Cbus Super Stadium on Sunday night.

Players reacted with resounding accountability, with “unacceptable” proving Wallace’s buzz word in an interview with the Bulletin.

“It was disappointing,” was the five-time Maroons prop’s blunt assessment.

“We obviously wanted to come out and put in a good Round 1 performance and we didn’t do that. We gave them too much ball and with a side like that who are so big and mobile, the momentum that they can build obviously shows why they ended up putting (21) points on us.

“I thought our defence was really strong in first contact and things like that but when you have got to do tackle after tackle after tackle, it’s just never going to work.

“We would finally get the ball back after working hard and then drop it or throw some stupid offload. It’s just unacceptable.”

Wallace said it will be important to respond swiftly in the form of a better showing at Shark Park.

“The positive thing is that it is only Round 1 so we have got to build on that but you don’t want to be going too far (without getting it together),” he said.

“We want to make sure next week we go back to the drawing board … it was just unacceptable for the kind of team thing that we are trying to build here.”

Round 1 game of the NRL Telstra Premiership between the North Queensland Cowboys v St George Illawarra Dragons from 1300 Smiles Stadium, Townsville. Dragons Tyson Frizell in the hands of the trainer after colliding with Cowboys player Jordan Kahu. Picture: Zak Simmonds

Fellow forward Jai Arrow urged fans to keep the faith.

“Don’t panic. It’s a long season and things can happen,” he said.

“We’ll be better, I can guarantee that. Obviously it’s time to stop talking now and go put the talk into actions.”

Titanic
19-03-19, 12:45 AM
You’ve just got to wonder if Roberts hadn’t got tangled in that *****-slapping fracas he wouldn’t have the injury.

JunctionBlock
19-03-19, 07:09 AM
Big ask this week. Johnson can usually make a mockery of our defense. Shame we won't be at full strength so hopefully we can fly under the radar and surprise a few.

rj62
19-03-19, 07:50 AM
I’m hoping Johnson has one of his many cold games.

Also would want to see Jacks in the halves with AJ.

Ash looking likely for round 3, does anyone know ?

JunctionBlock
19-03-19, 09:10 AM
I’m hoping Johnson has one of his many cold games.

Also would want to see Jacks in the halves with AJ.

Ash looking likely for round 3, does anyone know ?

According to the injury report he is recovering from a quad injury and is aiming for round 3 return.

GCTTSD
19-03-19, 09:25 AM
Huge opportunity for Riley jacks, Canberra game might've gone abit different if we had his direction and kicking game out there. I hope he proves to be the controlling half that we need to steer the ship and let ash or Tyrone or aj play off him

Toads
19-03-19, 09:30 AM
They're saying Tyrone is gone for possibly at least a month with a injury to his Achilles tendon.

Mr Bods
19-03-19, 11:56 AM
I’d love to see Brimson at FB, Gordon wing, Lee Centre, Peachey 5/8, Jacks at Half. Copley dropped, Rein on bench but no Peats at Lock. Just share the hooking duties. There’s an argument to recall Don for Sami too. I’d give him one more chance.
James didn’t play that much of the game at 2nd row, once Cartwright came on James went to prop and then came off for a rest and returned at prop. Don’t like that strategy, James and Proctor should play the 80mins, Cartwright when he comes on should play at Lock. Add some creativity to the middle of the field once there’s fatigue.
I also wonder if Mo should start the game with JWall benched purely on form. JWall has been all talk for quite a while now.

So my team would be
AJ, Gordon, Lee, Kelly, Sami, Peach, Jacks
Mo, Peats, Boyd, James, Proctor, Arrow
King, JWall, Cartwright (all As middles), Rein

rj62
19-03-19, 03:12 PM
In other changes to last week’s team, Anthony Don returns to the Titans starting side as a reward for his excellent form for Burleigh Bears in the Intrust Super Cup last weekend.

Don replaces Phillip Sami, who moves back to the interchange bench against the Sharks.

Centre Dale Copley drops out of the 17 with a recurrence of the calf complaint that hampered his pre-season.

Sharks vs Titans

Saturday, 23 March

Shark Park

2:00pm (QLD time)

1. Michael Gordon

2. Anthony Don

3. Tyrone Peachey

4. Brian Kelly

5. Brenko Lee

6. Alexander Brimson

7. Ryley Jacks

8. Jarrod Wallace

9. Nathan Peats

10. Shannon Boyd

11. Kevin Proctor

12. Ryan James ©

13. Jai Arrow

14. Phillip Sami

15. Moeaki Fotuaika

16. Max King

17. Bryce Cartwright

ozynorts
19-03-19, 03:42 PM
I just don't get Sami on the bench and someone needs to pull Wallace's head out of his a$$, way to many stupid penalties.

JunctionBlock
19-03-19, 04:12 PM
https://i.imgur.com/zZoOkOR.png

BundyTitan
19-03-19, 04:33 PM
Good to see the Don back as I think we missed his try scoring prowess last week, he can find the line nine times out of ten. Also good to see Lee keep his spot. As much as I love Sami, Lee gives us more post contact metres and starts our sets off with good kick returns. Not agreeing with Sami on the interchange though as I hate backs off the bench. Hopefully Rein is in the 14 jersey with team list updates later in the week as we missed his spark and speed around the ruck.

Great to see Jacks get a run too as he will add the control and kicking game that we desperately missed last week. He can run the side while AJ shows his running game (will be less stress on him as last week he was trying to be the conductor which doesn't suit him).

Cronulla will be tough to beat but we will be a better side in the dry weather, with an actual half (praying he doesn't go down 10 minutes in..) and hopefully a better effort with better discipline.

Boonarga
19-03-19, 04:37 PM
Happy to see a player (Don) be rewarded for good form and called up.
Why is there a winger on the bench?

BundyTitan
19-03-19, 04:55 PM
Happy to see a player (Don) be rewarded for good form and called up.
Why is there a winger on the bench?

Was asking myself the same question, surely Rein comes onto the bench instead. Unless he is planning to do what he did last week and bring Arrow off, put Peachey at 13 and move Sami to left centre maybe??

lonegull
19-03-19, 06:27 PM
I’d like to know when was the last time a winger was selected on a bench, maybe Jason nightingale but this selection doesn’t make any sense whatsoever

Mexican titan
19-03-19, 07:36 PM
I’d like to know when was the last time a winger was selected on a bench,

And a pretty average winger at that. Having him on the bench is beyond words, although that could (should) change before kickoff. I don't really agree with Rein and Peats both being in the 17 unless they just straight swap, but surely there is a better interchange forward in the club rather than name Sami.

JunctionBlock
19-03-19, 07:38 PM
I’d like to know when was the last time a winger was selected on a bench, maybe Jason nightingale but this selection doesn’t make any sense whatsoever

Dufty, last weekend.

My guess is that Semi is on the bench as halfs cover once again. Half goes down, Peachey to 5/8 Semi to centre.

Mr Bods
19-03-19, 07:42 PM
Dufty, last weekend.

My guess is that Semi is on the bench as halfs cover once again. Half goes down, Peachey to 5/8 Semi to centre.

And if nobody goes down???

JunctionBlock
19-03-19, 07:43 PM
And if nobody goes down???

Then his bum gets sore. I don't know. Don't get me wrong, I was WTF when I saw the bench too.

PS the Dragons lost last weekend.

Dooldog76
19-03-19, 07:57 PM
Sami decision is perplexing at best. But on the bright side, we lose our starting halves and we can still field what I think is a pretty competitive side. In the last couple of years the sharks games have always been close and we have got a few wins against them. I think we may surprise some people.

DIEHARD
20-03-19, 10:51 AM
I'm happy that we aren't afraid to drop and promote. I'm happy to see Don back.

I know very little about Jacks, but he seems to have a wrap around the forum as an organiser.

DIEHARD
20-03-19, 10:51 AM
Gold Coast playmaker Ryley Jacks in the box seat
https://www.titans.com.au/

Cooper Cronk showed Ryley Jacks exactly how to succeed in the NRL and had no idea he was even doing it.

Like the studious carpentry apprentice that he was coming out of the under 20s, Jacks arrived in Melbourne at the end of 2016 and immediately went to work learning from a man with a masters in play-making.

Given the haphazardness of the Titans' attack when they were forced to play 68 minutes against the Raiders without Ash Taylor and Tyrone Roberts, having Jacks waiting in the wings is the ace up coach Garth Brennan's sleeve that he knew he would need to pull at some stage in 2019.

His preference would have been to wait longer than round two to use it, but with Roberts set to miss three weeks and the uncertainty surrounding Taylor's quad injury, Jacks now has the perfect opportunity.

More than anything they need a calm head who can put the structure they have built all pre-season into practice and Jacks took lessons from the very best.

The 26-year-old Queenslander spent the first seven games of his NRL career as Cronk's halves partner and said his education extended far beyond what happened over the course of 80 minutes.

"Cooper was massive. I followed him around a lot," Jacks told NRL.com of his single season as Cronk's teammate in 2017.

"I'd watch what he was doing before a game and after."

After two years in the Roosters' under-20s system, Jacks was playing for Burleigh in the INtrust Super Cup in 2015, convinced his NRL dream would not come true.

A move to the Sunshine Coast Falcons in 2016 provided a pathway to the Melbourne Storm where he made his NRL debut and played 25 games over the past two seasons.

He returned to the Gold Coast in the off-season a vastly different player and one who carries with him the simple philosophy employed by Storm coach Craig Bellamy.

"Getting to be in that system for two or three years was unreal, you just learn so much," Jacks said.

"I feel as though I'm a totally different player to what I was in '15," said Jacks, who has guided Tweed Heads to two straight wins to start the season.

"They strip it right back as soon as you get there. It's all about basic stuff.

"I was a bit surprised when I first got there how simple it was. You've just got a few jobs that you need to do but you've got to nail them.

"That was the first thing, your fitness and your basic catch-pass. You'll work on that for pretty much the whole start of pre-season and then you start getting into more specific things when you start playing.

"But they strip it right back and start from the start, which I didn't think NRL clubs would do."

"Nailing" your job and "stripping back" the game is apt terminology for a young man who is a qualified carpenter, his time on the tools not excusing him from the initiation all Storm players are subjected to.

"As soon as you get down there you've got the two weeks on a construction site during the day and then train in the arvo," Jacks said.

"For me, that was pretty much what I did for four years so when I got there I was a little bit upset. I thought I'd just become a full-time footballer and then I've got to go back to work.

"You do two weeks of that and then you're off to the torture camp for three days of hell."

He returned to the Gold Coast determined to play his way into the starting side for round one but a hyper-extension of his elbow came at the worst possible time.

"Three weeks in a brace which was probably the last thing I wanted after doing a full pre-season," Jacks said.

"That was hard, having to watch the rivals for your spot go out and train."

He missed the opening trial against the Cowboys as Roberts captained an inexperienced team and then played the second half against the Broncos as the Titans gave up an 18-0 lead to lose 25-22.

But he gets his chance against the Sharks on Saturday afternoon determined to put his classes with Cronk into practice.

DIEHARD
20-03-19, 11:14 AM
Brimson bounce back

GOLD Coast young gun AJ Brimson is keen to make amends for his Round 1 performance after being named as part of the Titans’ newlook halves pairing.

Coach Garth Brennan has been forced to reshuffle his playmaking positions for Saturday’s clash with Cronulla following injuries to Tyrone Roberts (achilles) and Ash Taylor (quadricep strain).

The Titans yesterday named Brimson at fiveeighth while former Storm player Ryley Jacks will debut for his new club in the No.7.

Brimson was thrust into the playmaking role after 12 minutes of Sunday’s match against Canberra when Roberts left the field injured.

Brimson admitted it wasn’t a top effort but was keen to improve while Roberts and Taylor recovered.

“I didn’t have my best game on Sunday,” Brimson said.

“If that’s the role (Brennan) wants me to do (play in the full 80 minutes) than I’ll definitely be keen for it.

“(Losing Roberts to injury) hurts a lot. Obviously, Tyrone was always going to be the halfback, running the team around and I was focusing on just running the ball.

“That changed on Sunday and my role changed to direct the team around.

“Obviously, there’s going to be a few sprays which we deserve but I think we just want to wipe it and start again I guess.”

The 20-year-old said he enjoyed training with Jacks in the halves and said “it wasn’t a bad option” to partner him on the paddock at Shark Park on Saturday.

Winger Anthony Don has also made his way back into the starting squad after an impressive outing for Burleigh in the Intrust Super Cup at the weekend.

Phillip Sami has been moved to the bench for the return of Don, while centre Dale Copley drops out of the 17 with a calf complaint.

Brennan’s forward pack remains the same as last week and lock Jai Arrow said the team had to harden up against a fired-up Sharks outfit looking to make amends for their Round 1 loss.

“The Sharks are a big forward pack and if we’re not running harder than them, they’re obviously going to dominate us,” he said.

“We want to be up for it.”

DavidBouveng
20-03-19, 05:52 PM
I think Sami on bench is essentially having a utility ( peachey ) on bench, except our utility is good enough that we want him on for 80 minutes instead of the winger.

I guess we can be happy that Garth is totally moving away from the Peats / Rein combo, but i personally want Rein in the 17.

This early season injury malarkey has the potential to put our season and Brennans job under pressure very early which turns the whole season into a long drawn out grind. If we are down 0-3 or so and have injuries to key players the season will disappear very quickly which would be a shame.

Also happy with Lee - i thought he was best out of our 3/4 line the other night. much stronger carries than the rest and he has now seemingly jumped Sami as well as Don and is our first picked winger. good on him for working his ass off and earning that.

RavShamrock
20-03-19, 08:03 PM
Almost annoying how much sense you make DB

DavidBouveng
20-03-19, 08:23 PM
Cheers Ravs, good to annoy someone for the right reason for a change

DIEHARD
21-03-19, 11:40 PM
LU preview: https://leagueunlimited.com/news/32934-sharks-v-titans-preview/

DIEHARD
21-03-19, 11:41 PM
Jai Arrow optimistic of dodging back troubles after good signs from Gold Coast Titans Round 1

IT wasn’t the Round 1 result Jai Arrow was hoping for but there was a left-field positive for the Gold Coast workhorse to take out of the first NRL weekend of the season.

The only downside to Arrow’s breakout 2018 campaign was the back troubles he battled through.

The 23-year-old reassessed over the summer how he can prevent a recurrence of the injury and it seems as if his additional work is already reaping the rewards.

“I have done a lot more stretching than I probably had last year and a lot more ice baths for sure,” he said. “I’m just trying to maintain my body.”

The indication that it is doing the trick?

“I was in bed straight after the game (on Sunday night) and fell asleep pretty quick whereas usually I can’t really sleep after games so it’s obviously a good sign for me there,” he added.

“I will just keep doing that and hopefully that works.”

Arrow will be part of a pivotal forwards battle between the Titans and Sharks this Saturday, with the hosts boasting renowned metre-eaters such as Andrew Fifita and Paul Gallen.

“The Sharks are a big forward pack and if we’re not running harder than them, then they are obviously going to dominate us,” Arrow said.

DIEHARD
21-03-19, 11:42 PM
Don's unexpected shot at Titans history
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/20/dons-unexpected-shot-at-titans-history/

It took just one week and two tries for Anthony Don to earn an NRL recall and now the Titans cult hero has a piece of club history in his sights.

In a vastly different team to the one named by coach Garth Brennan for round one, Don returns on the right wing at the expense of Phillip Sami while Ryley Jacks and AJ Brimson form a new halves combination for Saturday's clash with the Sharks.

Captain Ryan James (illness), Ash Taylor (quad), Tyrone Roberts (Achilles) and Dale Copley (calf) were all absent from training on Wednesday as were Jack Stockwell and Will Matthews who are battling hip and Achilles injuries respectively.

It's an early test of the club's new-found depth but Don has earned a reprieve on the back of a strong performance for Burleigh in the Intrust Super Cup having been a shock omission to face the Raiders last Sunday.

The reigning Members' Player of the Year admitted that he was disappointed to start the year back where his NRL journey began eight years ago but is now in position to write his name into the record books.

Currently tied with David Mead as the Titans' leading tryscorer with 67, Don can set a new mark with a four-pointer at Shark Park on Saturday afternoon after failing to claim the record in the final two games of the 2018 season.

"I haven't been thinking about it to tell you the truth," said Don.

"If I get it this week that'd be great but, if not, it doesn't matter.

"It was quite funny playing for Burleigh last week. When I debuted there in 2011 my club number was 199 and the guys that were debuting on the weekend were 350.

"That was a moment where I realised that I had been around Burleigh and Gold Coast footy for a long time now."

Since making his debut – and scoring a try – in a 28-22 win over the Eels in round six, 2013, Don's status among fans has grown and his performances recognised with a NSW Country jersey and club best and fairest award in 2017.

Titans supporters were left stunned when he was overlooked in favour of Brenko Lee against Canberra for round one but the 31-year-old is now determined to make sure he stays in the top grade.

"To be honest, I was disappointed," Don said of his demotion.

"I hadn't played back at Burleigh for a few years but I made sure I didn't let it get me down.

"I stayed positive. Burleigh Bears are a great rugby league club. I've spent a lot of time there and know a lot of faces and it's right next to my house. So I looked at all the positives and got around the boys down at Burleigh and had a good game on the weekend.

"After playing last week for Burleigh it's probably a bit sooner than I thought.

"I thought I might be in Q Cup for a bit longer but very lucky to get a chance in first grade this week for the Titans against the Sharks.

"Everyone that is in the 17 knows that if they don't play well they might miss out the following week.

"The pressure is on everyone, not just me. I've just got to go out there and do my job and I'm confident I can do that."

Mr Bods
22-03-19, 08:12 PM
Who are the referees tomorrow?

JunctionBlock
23-03-19, 11:06 AM
https://i.imgur.com/kyiNtxO.png

Thank goodness Maxwell is there to help us in the bunker.

Mr Bods
23-03-19, 11:23 AM
^^^^ Maxwell is from The Shire.
We are getting all the Rookie Referees this year

Thanks for posting that JB

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 12:16 PM
Some nice Titans culture building here...

Titan #146, Ryley Jacks.

Jacks was presented his playing jersey by the Titans first ever halfback, Scott Prince.

http://www.diehardtitan.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/23.1.png

http://www.diehardtitan.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/23.2.png

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 12:22 PM
Mead glad to hand Don his tryscoring baton
htto://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au

TITANS great David Mead says he’ll be happy to see Anthony Don break his try-scoring record when Gold Coast’s cult hero returns to the NRL.

Don will make his first appearance of the season for the Titans in today’s Round 2 clash against the Sharks in Cronulla.

The flying winger has been recalled to first grade after Titans coach Garth Brennan wielded the axe on Phillip Sami after the Gold Coast’s Round 1 loss to Canberra.

A fan favourite, Don equalled Mead’s all-time Titans try-scoring record of 67 when he scored seven tries in five games late last season.

But he failed to cross in the Gold Coast’s final two games of the year and was overlooked for Round 1 selection this season, leaving him stranded with Mead.

Mead, 30, played 147 games for the Titans to become the fourth-most capped player in the club’s history behind Mark Minichiello (173), Will Zillman (156) and Luke Bailey (150).

Don, 31, has managed to equal Mead’s record in only 110 NRL appearances after debuting as a 25-year-old in 2013.

Now playing for Catalans in the Super League, Mead said Don was deserving of being the club’s all-time greatest tryscorer if he can snare that elusive four-pointer.

“He is obviously someone who’s been very hungry to play in the NRL because he didn’t debut until his mid-20s and now he’s played well over 100 games,” Mead said.

“He’s been outstanding since he started playing for the Titans. I think he is one of the most consistent players I’ve ever played with.

“You know for sure that he will go out and do his job to the best of his ability week-in, week-out.

“He’s a great finisher and he is about to break the try-scoring record. I’m great mates with ‘Boogs’ so I’ll definitely send him a message to congratulate him.”

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 12:25 PM
Titans pack awake to the Gallen factor
http://www.couriermail.com.au

THE Titans’ forward pack has been challenged to stand up against a Cronulla side looking to send retiring veteran Paul Gallen out on a high note in his final NRL season.

Coach Garth Brennan (above) admitted his side was in for a “tough afternoon” but urged his pack to step up.

“I haven’t personally set that challenge for them, but I’m sure they’re well aware that they need to stand up,” he said.

“Forwards go a long way in contributing to winning football games and there’s probably no bigger challenge than that Cronulla pack. Our guys have to stand up and they’re aware of that.

“The boys understand they’re in for a tough afternoon.

“When you look at the middle of Cronulla’s team, in (Andrew) Fifita, (Matt) Prior, Gallen and (Aaron) Woods, they’re a quality pack and the boys have to stand up to them.”

The Titans will be relying on new playmakers in AJ Brimson and former Storm player Ryley Jacks after injuries cruelled them of their regular halves.

Brennan said Jacks would be counted on to control the game, having developed his skills under Melbourne’s Big Three – Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater.

Brennan said: “He’s played with three of the greatest players of all time, Smith, Cronk and Slater, so I’m sure he’s learnt a lot off those guys in terms of game management and that’s probably what we lacked last week in the wet conditions.’’

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 12:32 PM
Video Preview: Sharks v Titans - Round 2 CLICK HERE TO WATCH (https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/20/sharks-v-titans---round-2/)

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 12:33 PM
http://www.diehardtitan.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/IMG_2541.jpg

http://www.diehardtitan.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/IMG_2542.jpg

http://www.diehardtitan.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/IMG_2543.jpg

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 01:08 PM
Confirmed line up.

The final 17 is as follows:

1. Michael Gordon
2. Anthony Don
3. Tyrone Peachey
4. Brian Kelly
5. Brenko Lee
6. AJ Brimson
7. Ryley Jacks
8. Jarrod Wallace
9. Nathan Peats
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Ryan James ©
13. Jai Arrow

14. Phillip Sami
15. Moeaki Fotuaika
16. Max King
17. Bryce Cartwright

Upthetits
23-03-19, 01:16 PM
So sick of seeing proctor hitting a short ball and not taking the hit then getting the offload and its only been one game. Its deadset identical to last season. The blokes out wide need ball.

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 01:19 PM
OK just renewed my Watch NRL membership. I'll be watching this on the TV and look forward to sharing the game with you.

Eyes on our forwards and Jacks' debut. Pleased to see Don return. We will have a dry track in Cronulla.

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 01:27 PM
Was uncertainty if Shaun Johnson is playing today for the Sharks. But he will be.

Sharks: John Morris named an unchanged side following last week's loss and has stuck with that 17. Paul Gallen will equal the Sharks' all-time appearance record held by Andrew Ettingshausen with 328 games. Scott Sorensen and Kyle Flanagan were cut an hour out from kick-off, while Bronson Xerri and Braden Hamlin-Uele were omitted on Friday.

From NRL.com

Boonarga
23-03-19, 01:35 PM
If Don could learn to return balls like Kahu he wouldn't have to worry about his place in the team. His meandering kick returns are his only failing.

Mr Bods
23-03-19, 01:52 PM
Some nice Titans culture building here...

Titan #146, Ryley Jacks.

Jacks was presented his playing jersey by the Titans first ever halfback, Scott Prince.

http://www.diehardtitan.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/23.1.png

http://www.diehardtitan.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/23.2.png

And on Monday Prince will be wearing a Broncos Polo working with Indigenous Kids in Schools on the GC/Northern NSW.
Meanwhile our club will once again have close to Zero presence in our schools.

Mr Bods
23-03-19, 02:05 PM
As I was saying Jarrod Maxwell is from the Shire

JunctionBlock
23-03-19, 02:10 PM
As I was saying Jarrod Maxwell is from the Shire

Picked it like a dirty snoz

- - - Updated - - -

Who says lightning doesn't strike twice. Old lightning Maxwell

- - - Updated - - -

If Don could learn to return balls like Kahu he wouldn't have to worry about his place in the team. His meandering kick returns are his only failing.

I was at the game last night. When he went to the wing and did nothing even the Cowboys fans were mocking him. From memory he ran the ball back hard once.

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 02:10 PM
Ah damn it, hard to disagree but that was a great effort by Arrow. Great play by whoever that Shark was, mm in that. Hopefully we keep the pressure and we can bank some points.

Good start by our Titans, forwards look strong. Nice take Don under pressure.

JunctionBlock
23-03-19, 02:12 PM
I'm liking what I'm seeing at the moment that's for sure. Hopefully we can convert possesion to points sooner rather than too later.

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 02:13 PM
:salute: Peachey.

JunctionBlock
23-03-19, 02:19 PM
Someones swapped Brimsons sticky with pure and simple

ozynorts
23-03-19, 02:20 PM
The break and try were caused by Peachey rushing out of the line.

lonegull
23-03-19, 02:20 PM
Lol our defence on the edges is a shamble

JunctionBlock
23-03-19, 02:21 PM

What choice does he have when they're caught short?

Whats Doing
23-03-19, 02:22 PM
We would have to be the slowest team in the comp.

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 02:23 PM
Keep playing Titans.

Mexican titan
23-03-19, 02:23 PM

I thought Lee was to blame. He was nowhere when the try was scored.

JunctionBlock
23-03-19, 02:24 PM
Good kick return from Don and Gordon

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 02:25 PM
AJ why. Grubber on the 2nd wasn't the option.

Hail Sezer
23-03-19, 02:26 PM
I thought Lee was to blame. He was nowhere when the try was scored.

He’s just following his centre like he’s supposed to

JunctionBlock
23-03-19, 02:27 PM
Cartwrights on already

Whats Doing
Peachy defence is horrendous

lonegull
Peachey again been the sharks best

Hail Sezer
and again....

gotitans101_
That was Peachy again.

Honestly don't think we've been too bad this afternoon apart from those easy tries against us.

lonegull
23-03-19, 02:28 PM
So much for running harder tackling harder, they look flat and slow this will will get ugly

ozynorts
23-03-19, 02:28 PM
Sharks are just toying with Peachy

BundyTitan
23-03-19, 02:29 PM
Peachey is playing pathetic, you’d think he would have learnt his lesson with their first try

gotitans101_
23-03-19, 02:34 PM
That was awful. We have to be the most ******ed team in the comp.

JunctionBlock
23-03-19, 02:34 PM
Lucky we have a centre on the bench.

TitansState
23-03-19, 02:35 PM
Can we sub peachy off for sami

lonegull
23-03-19, 02:35 PM
What a joke so much for all the talk in the preseason nothing has changed, slow no attack and soft defence

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 02:36 PM
That was both humiliating and why I love our sport. Peachey again couldn't wrap that ball up.

psmitty
23-03-19, 02:36 PM
Pathetic. Same as last year and every year before. Looks like it will be our mini grand final next week against a team that should whip our ass.

lonegull
23-03-19, 02:37 PM
Goes to show how good our defence is Aaron Woods making yards in the middle

gotitans101_
23-03-19, 02:37 PM
Where do we go from here?

JunctionBlock
23-03-19, 02:43 PM
Where do we go from here?

Hopefully over the try line, we can't go pointless twoweeks in a row

- - - Updated - - -

Surely after that exit set we bring Mofo on. we went nowhere.

lonegull
23-03-19, 02:44 PM
When does questions start getting asked about Brennan?

- - - Updated - - -

Peachey again three try assists

gotitans101_
23-03-19, 02:45 PM
hahahahahahha

lonegull
That’s how second rowers should run a line

Whats Doing
Three tries through Peachy. Just pathetic

JunctionBlock

- - - Updated - - -

By us or the club? Club already extended his contract and we can't afford top tier coaches so don't hold your breath.

gotitans101_
23-03-19, 02:46 PM

- - - Updated - - -

The biggest mistake was going with a coach with 0 NRL experience.

Whats Doing
23-03-19, 02:46 PM
The wooden spoon

JunctionBlock
23-03-19, 02:48 PM
Points before halftime or I'm going to help the missus clean out the shed.

Mexican titan
23-03-19, 02:48 PM
He’s just following his centre like he’s supposed to

You are still supposed to be on a man. He wasn't within 10 metres of anyone.

JunctionBlock
23-03-19, 02:49 PM
Penalty for attacking with the feet or knees?

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 02:49 PM
20-0 and it's not even half time. Makes me wonder if we can score at all.

We need halftime but this game is getting out of reach.

Edit: So close by AJ, that'd have been timely points.

JunctionBlock
23-03-19, 02:51 PM
Shed cleaning it is. Adios

TitanPremiership
23-03-19, 02:52 PM
I don't ever stop watching before the 80 minutes but I don't think I will make it through this time.

ozynorts
Speechless, 120 minutes without scoring.

lonegull
1000 tackles on the sharks try line 2 minutes out from half time and still can’t get a try

DIEHARD
GB has to rip into them. This is unacceptable.

lonegull
23-03-19, 02:54 PM
I don't ever stop watching before the 80 minutes but I don't think I will make it through this time.

I am like you never walk away but today after that performance bloody hell i got better things to do than watch a diabolical footy team which hasn’t got a clue

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 02:54 PM

And if fans like us are feeling that, imagine the average punter. Tuning in and seeing 20-0 at half time. Weekends are precious time and they must be well spent. This isn't good enough, we just don't have the depth.

I don't think we are completely broken though.

ozynorts
23-03-19, 02:56 PM
GB has to rip into them. This is unacceptable.

Nope, let them sit in silence as both Brennan and Mal pace around just staring each of them down.

Titanic
23-03-19, 02:57 PM
I said it last week and I’ll say it again ... it all starts with Peats slow service. He offers nothing in attack. I’m flying home tonight and my excitement to watch the team is at about the same level as my opinion of our new jersey.

lonegull
23-03-19, 02:58 PM
I said it last week and I’ll say it again ... it all starts with Peats slow service. He offers nothing in attack. I’m being flying home tonight and my excitement to watch the team is at about the same level as my opinion of our new jersey.

Totally agree offers nothing and you are spot on his service is very slow

Mexican titan
And if fans like us are feeling that, imagine the average punter. Tuning in and seeing 20-0 at half time. Weekends are precious time and they must be well spent. This isn't good enough, we just don't have the depth.

I don't think we are completely broken though.

Not sure about your comment about depth. I think it's more about heart and ability. Manly would kill to have the depth that the titans have. For example who can lose your top two halves and have the cover the titans have. It appears to me the problems run deeper. How can we turn talented blokes like Peachey in to incompetent mongs.

Mr Bods
Sure it’s only sport
But in a sporting context this performance and effort this year has been disgraceful, embarrassing and very upsetting.
These blokes are on huge money to represent our community and we hand over extremely valuable hard earned money to be members and we are just given Sub-Standard slop.

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 03:01 PM
I said it last week and I’ll say it again ... it all starts with Peats slow service. He offers nothing in attack. I’m flying home tonight and my excitement to watch the team is at about the same level as my opinion of our new jersey.

Oh **** that is a low benchmark.

gotitans101_
23-03-19, 03:02 PM
BTW the Peachey / Lee combination was a disaster just waiting to happen. I don't know why anyone is surprised.

Titanic
23-03-19, 03:04 PM
Why has Peachey been a utility? Because he is one ... on the other hand we’re starting to see a bit from Cartwright who looks eager.

DIEHARD
Sami hasn't come on yet.

If we are going to make a fight of it, it'll be with the forwards.

DIEHARD
... on the other hand we’re starting to see a bit from Cartwright who looks eager.

He has made some errors, but been unlucky on a couple and wrongly called that he played at a ball that gave Cronulla another set.

TITAN PETE
23-03-19, 03:05 PM
Peachy should be charged with 4 try assists for the opposition

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 03:06 PM
Peachy should be charged with 4 try assists for the opposition

We should be charging Sharks fans. :(

Introducing the rival team Titans membership...

TITAN PETE
23-03-19, 03:06 PM
Why has Peachey been a utility? Because he is one ... on the other hand we’re starting to see a bit from Cartwright who looks eager.

The only player that looks dangerous we should play him @ 6 in the 2nd half

lonegull
23-03-19, 03:07 PM
26 tackles in the sharks 20 metre area in first half and still cant get a point on the board

TitansState
23-03-19, 03:09 PM

Yep. Doesnt know how to facilitate from dummy half. Passes too close to the line where there is a brick wall already set. No post contact meters...wateva.

gotitans101_
23-03-19, 03:12 PM
That was terrible. Again, straight through Lee and Peachey.

ozynorts
23-03-19, 03:14 PM
That last break, Peachey was nearly 10 m in front of the rest of the line.

Whats Doing
23-03-19, 03:14 PM
Crickets Peachy defence still diabolical. Just sticking out an arm and they make 60 metres

rj62
23-03-19, 03:15 PM
Thank F*****G Christ

Bayside Titan
23-03-19, 03:15 PM
*. Click * channel changed from 502 to the Movie channel.

Firetruck
23-03-19, 03:16 PM
I am absolutely convinced that Peachey best position is No.14. Arm grabbing centres who repeatedly come out of the line are not what is needed.

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 03:16 PM
Oh thank god we scored.

Arrow has been fantastic for us.

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 03:17 PM
*. Click * channel changed from 502 to the Movie channel.

You missed a try. :p

gotitans101_
23-03-19, 03:17 PM
Love Arrow, one of the few players who can hold his head up after that second half.

lonegull
23-03-19, 03:18 PM
Jai Arrow how we would give to have a few of him

- - - Updated - - -

Love Arrow, one of the few players who can hold his head up after that second half.

Yep

gotitans101_
23-03-19, 03:19 PM
** first half I meant.

Boonarga
23-03-19, 03:26 PM
The biggest mistake was going with a coach with 0 NRL experience.

More than John Morris.

TITAN PETE
Why can’t this halfwit Nable tell the difference between Kelly & Peachy

Mr Bods
FFS stop running around players
Spread the ball to Peachey Kelly etc

gotitans101_
23-03-19, 03:27 PM
More than John Morris.

It's his second game lol

rj62
23-03-19, 03:27 PM
Ryan James reminds me of a mobile marshmallow. He’s got no fire in him.

gotitans101_
23-03-19, 03:28 PM
Peats hahahha

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 03:28 PM
Sin bin but Im not getting excited because I remember what happened last year.

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 03:29 PM
We are playing with blinkers and not looking for opportunities.

Mr Bods
23-03-19, 03:29 PM

Spot on
What happened to him
Fire Up

lonegull
23-03-19, 03:32 PM
Stat says it all 51-8 tackles in opposition 20 titans over sharks and we only have 6 points on the board

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully Brennan has a admission ticket to watch the tweed and Burleigh game he might learn a thing

ozynorts
23-03-19, 03:34 PM
Spot on
What happened to him
Fire Up

Extra running on the edge is gassing him is my guess

rj62
Spot on
What happened to him
Fire Up

Compare him to others who rip and tear and scratch for every metre, who attack the line angry. Nope he ambles up almost expecting to be tackled rather than thinking he can break the line.
It’s not good enough.
Where’s Boyd?

lonegull
Sharks a man down but still can create a two man overlap

rj62
23-03-19, 03:36 PM
Correct me if I’m wrong - has Jacks got no kicking game?

Mexican titan
23-03-19, 03:38 PM

I've been saying that for some time. You can't have a captain like that. He has been extremely disappointing for the last two seasons in my opinion with a few big efforts the exception.

- - - Updated - - -

Correct me if I’m wrong - has Jacks got no kicking game?

Seems to be the case mate.

Mr Bods
23-03-19, 03:39 PM
Extra running on the edge is gassing him is my guess

When Cartwright comes on he goes into Prop

TITAN PETE
23-03-19, 03:40 PM
Luckily we only have Souths next week

Mr Bods
Can we see some ad lib football please

psmitty
Bring on our X Factor in Sami.

Boonarga
Cartwright takes Fifita down at full gallop. Welcome back Bryce.

rj62
23-03-19, 03:42 PM
Can we see some ad lib football please

I’d settle for some football...

Mr Bods
23-03-19, 03:44 PM
I’d settle for some football...

Amen

teke
23-03-19, 03:47 PM
Titans back 3 just about the worst in the comp for starting a offensive set.

BundyTitan
23-03-19, 03:49 PM
I have never been more embarrassed to be a titans fan and that’s saying something with how terrible we’ve been for the last 7 or 8 years. I don’t know what Brennan did this off season but this group looks like they’ve never even trained together before. We look clueless and like we have no game plan. I don’t know if we will ever see success. Our roster is the best it’s been and still we look worse than ever.

rj62
23-03-19, 03:51 PM
Arrow pops a good pass to no one l own near the line - every other team in the comp would have someone grabbing that and having 2nd dig.

Today for me -

Jacks very disappointing. I was really looking forward to him playing. What a let down.

We had no imagination in attack it was very boring

On my occasions it looked like boys against men

We need 10 Jai Arrows

BundyTitan
23-03-19, 03:51 PM
Arrow is the only person in this club with a heart. I feel so sorry for him, he deserves better

Mr Bods
23-03-19, 03:54 PM
Menoitios (who if he reads this I wish him all the best with great respect) brainwashed us into false hope and now reality is setting in

- - - Updated - - -

Bring on our X Factor in Sami.

Great point
In a game of footy when down 20-6 why not bring him on for a forward with say 15mins left and have a reshuffle and start chasing the points down

psmitty
23-03-19, 03:56 PM
I called it last year but Brennan needs to go. Nothing has changed.

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 03:56 PM
Well that sums up the day. Fortunately Sharks couldn't put on any more points, but gee we have no penetration or organisation.

Hurry back Tyrone Roberts.

rj62
23-03-19, 03:57 PM
One positive I guess is they didn’t concede a point in the 2nd half

TitanPremiership
23-03-19, 03:58 PM
AJ nearly scoring at the end of the first half forced me to watch the whole game and I started running in circles like a lunatic celebrating our first try of the season. Overall still pretty painful stuff but I guess I'm used to it.

rj62
I called it last year but Brennan needs to go. Nothing has changed.

Bit premature - wait until he gets his 1st choice halves back.

Mexican titan
Arrow must be gutted. I thought he was the best player on the field.
Time for Brennan to bite the bullet. Change the captain, get Rein in for Peats, just for starters or the season will be over very early.

Mr Bods
Arrow shakes his head at Fulltime totally disappointed whereas Cartwright/Peachey/Wallace all smiles having a social event

One of my pet peeves as a supporter

Detwelve12
23-03-19, 04:00 PM
Arrow must be gutted. I thought he was the best player on the field.
Time for Brennan to bite the bullet. Change the captain, get Rein in for Peats, just for starters or the season will be over very early.

Totally agree. Peats needs to be dropped am earn his spot back.

gotitans101_
23-03-19, 04:00 PM
Arrow shakes his head at Fulltime totally disappointed whereas Cartwright/Peachey/Wallace all smiles having a social event

I hate that as well. Not sure why you'd be smiling after a performance like that. Arrow looked gutted.

TitanPremiership
23-03-19, 04:01 PM
In Menoitios' absence I'll pick up the slack in the positivity department... We won the second half 6-0!!!

TITAN PETE
23-03-19, 04:05 PM
In Menoitios' absence I'll pick up the slack in the positivity department... We won the second half 6-0!!!

Don’t forget we also won the penalty count 14-5 & had 56% of the ball

Dobes
23-03-19, 04:06 PM
Side needs a significant change next week if we’re any chance of beating Souths. Peats needs to be dropped and replaced by Rein. Rein just has that agility and creativity to his game that Peats seemingly hasn’t. Kelly has dropped more balls than a blind juggler. James does not belong in the second row, put him back at prop and move Boyd to the bench. Both of our halves lack any play making skills it seems. 100% Brimson belongs at fullback. Jacks has an extremely basic kicking game and no creativity, just does all the basics. Maybe what I’ve said isn’t the answer, but we cannot field that same squad next week, something needs to change.

Let’s now look to the stats. We had 56% possession of the ball and completed 71% of our sets. Cronulla had 44% possession and completed only 64% of their sets.. Cronulla had a worse game than us based on the stats, despite the scoreline. What does that tell us? Defence isn’t the biggest of our issues. I’m not suggesting it is not an issue at all, but our attack is by far the biggest issue. It’s not good enough that we’re without Taylor. If we are a team of first grade standard, we should be more than capable of playing without him.

JunctionBlock
23-03-19, 04:11 PM
Where to from here? If we roll out the same team then I question the sanity of our coach. I guess next weeks team will depend on whos healthy in the halfs.

Don did enough to keep his spot. Lee should be under pressure to keep Sami out, Peachey may become another panther playing in the lower grades (although I doubt Brennan would have the balls). Jacks looked good at Melbourne because it's the storms. AJ needs the fullback roll because he's not able to play his game in the halfs, so what do we have to lose?

All the talk was we have depth and there is competition for positions so make your move Brennan.

GCTTSD
23-03-19, 04:13 PM
We packed any sort of leadership out there, James peats Proctor and Gordon were pretty poor, need more from our senior players, maybe arrow should be captain

JunctionBlock
23-03-19, 04:14 PM

More positives, Sami is healthy, unless he did a quad on the sideline bike

Mr Bods
23-03-19, 04:46 PM

That’s damning. You should win a game comfortably with stats like that.

The Mole
23-03-19, 05:07 PM
Peats is not a bad player just a very overrated one. We have too many overrated plodders in our team.

For those of you just now jumping on the dump Peats for Rein bandwagon. I'll leave this here; a post I made last year after Round 23 against Manly . I might be back to rant later maybe.

Rein > Peats
Come 2019 Rein needs to be starting and playing 80 if he can.
Peats should be bench lock/backup hooker at best. Can't believe Peats is on 600K compared to what Rein offers.

If you notice what Garth's vision is for the team, he's signed big players to get on the front foot (Boyd) and players with second phase play/offloading ability (Cartwright, Latu and Peachy) which we've lacked over numerous years. If it pays off we'll see huge benefits from it, whether his signings perform for him better in 2019 is another question.

Peats wouldn't be able to capitalize on the roll on/quick play the balls, Rein does which makes a huge difference to the team despite his occasionally poor service and defense.
It's a no brainer really.

rj62
23-03-19, 05:22 PM

Yep. I can’t recall having a smile on my face whenever we lost (many moons ago)

Titanic Believer
23-03-19, 05:25 PM
I saw the writing on the wall and painted my kitchen instead. I have the strong feeling that we have been conned about our depth. We have a mediocre team and depth to match. I come to this conclusion watching the other teams play this year. The intensity and desire is something that I haven't seen from the Titans ever or at least since Friendy played. I have never seen our pack monster another pack. None of our backs can turn nothing into something. For me to be interested again the team will need to win big next week against a team playing well not a team that plays badly..........."fat chance"

Mexican titan
23-03-19, 05:26 PM
Peats is not a bad player just a very overrated one. We have too many overrated plodders in our team.

For those of you just now jumping on the dump Peats for Rein bandwagon. I'll leave this here; a post I made last year after Round 23 against Manly . I might be back to rant later maybe.

I can't disagree with a word of that Moley.

Titanic
23-03-19, 05:33 PM
I hope our coach reads the Forum, I agree with nearing everything written and wondered where Moley had gone. I remember that post.

Peats without the beard had some mojo ... apart from the criticisms already made, his flapping his arms around in a “what are we doing, don’t blame me manner” is pretty de-motivating.

On the positive... the coach is not blind.

rj62
23-03-19, 05:46 PM
Just once I wish we would stop the continual trying to barge over the line - forward after forward. Its boring , easy for the opposition to defend and above all , guys 9/10 times we come up empty. We dont have enough mongrel in any of our players at the moment to put fear into the opposition or who actually BELIEVE they can break the line.

So stop it.

Just stop it.

gotitans101_
23-03-19, 05:48 PM
Arrow -

299m
28 runs
23 tackles
7 tackle breaks
4 offloads
2 line breaks

Legend.

JunctionBlock
23-03-19, 05:48 PM
Got all the way to the 3:50 mark of the post match interview before I heard "we've gotta be better than that."

He gave a rap to Jai, he said we should take confidence in crossing the line four times but for no result. Won't rush Ash and Tyrone back.

lonegull
23-03-19, 05:49 PM
Just watched the press conference and yep I knew exactly what would be said “we won the second half and got over the try line four times and we can take positives from that” bloody hell that gets my blood boiling

Mr Bods
23-03-19, 05:58 PM
I hope our coach reads the Forum, I agree with nearing everything written and wondered where Moley had gone. I remember that post.

Peats without the beard had some mojo ... apart from the criticisms already made, his flapping his arms around in a “what are we doing, don’t blame me manner” is pretty de-motivating.

On the positive... the coach is not blind.

Absolutely-that body language by Peats where he did a shrug repeatedly just instils negativity
His indifference for a guy with a reputation of being a real competitor is baffling

DavidBouveng
23-03-19, 07:22 PM
Rein has to come in.

James back to middle, Carty has proved he can play in the 12.

Brennan has shown he can make big calls, so im optimistic but hearing him play the no confidence card after round 2 is alarming. that's his job... to have the players so well drilled that they feel confident they are prepared to handle anything.

He is under serious pressure already regardless of Ash and Tyrone being out. It actually gives him more excuses than he deserves cos i dont think we would be playing any better with those two really, and then he would be REALLY under the pump trying to defend this rubbish.

This week is going to piss me off either way - either we will get lapped by souths, or will win and we wonder WTF has been happening these last two weeks.

DIEHARD
23-03-19, 07:29 PM
Jai Arrow’s mammoth effort can’t get Titans home against Sharks
https://www.couriermail.com.au/

The Titans failed to capitalise on an improved forward pack performance after being downed 20-6 at Shark Park on Saturday afternoon.

Gold Coast weren’t able to contain a dominant Sharks pack in what was Paul Gallen’s equal club record 328 games for Cronulla.

Despite winning their past three from four games down in The Shire ahead of the match, the Titans lacked the attacking flair of regular halves Ash Taylor and Tyrone Roberts.

They should take solace though from an improved forward pack and defensive effort, led by an incredible performance by lock Jai Arrow.

Coach Garth Brennan challenged his forwards heading into the match to “step it up” against a strong Cronulla side and they certainly showed glimpses of improvement.

The front three in Ryan James, Jarrod Wallace and Arrow were able to build momentum early in the first half through strong carries up the middle.

Arrow racked up a whopping 299m from 28 hit-ups in a losing side, and one linebreak.

It was his effective offloads which also helped his side get on the front foot but his rampaging runs failed to be converted into any points.

It was a case of so close, yet so far for the Titans who had three disallowed tries and were held up over the line on several occasions.

Gold Coast started the game with plenty of energy and would have been in the lead after just five minutes but tries to James and Arrow were turned down by the video referee.

It took 130 minutes of football, but the Titans finally got their first four-pointer for 2019 through winger Brenko Lee who took advantage of some scrambling Cronulla defence.

Their possession on the Sharks line should have been converted into more points after having been tackled 59 times inside Cronulla’s 20-metre line.

They seemed to lack the experience and kicking game of Titans’ regular halfback Ash Taylor as new halves pairing AJ Brimson and Ryley Jacks attempted to take control of the game.

Brimson and Jacks will require some more time to settle into their new playmaking roles and will need to work on their kicking game if the Titans are to score more points.

In the end, Gold Coast were completely outshone by the experience and skill of Sharks’ halves Shaun Johnson and Chad Townsend — who celebrated his 100th NRL match.

Sharks winger Sione Katoa’s first half double opened the scoring through clever ballwork from his halves.

A comedy of errors by Tyrone Peachey and Bryce Cartwright then saw Cronulla extend to a 14-0 lead after 26 minutes of the match.

A Briton Nikora try just before halftime took Cronulla into the break 20-0.

The only points to come in the second half came through Lee in the 47th minute.

The Gold Coast now heads to ANZ next week to take on the competition-leading Rabbitohs.

FIVE THINGS WE LEARNED

1. Titans coach Garth Brennan challenged his forward pack to step it up against a strong Cronulla side and they certainly did. Jai Arrow (299m) and Ryan James (171m) did their best to build momentum through the middle of the park. Both had opportunities to score but were both disallowed by the video referee.

2. Titans’ new halves pairing in AJ Brimson and Ryley Jacks will need more time to settle into their new roles. Jacks had a nervy start for his new club, making two critical errors and some poor kicking options. Brimson was a livewire at five-eighth and chanced his arm at a few short kicks on the line but wasn’t able to convert into points.

3. Bryce Cartwright is still far from being back to his best. The forward made two critical errors during the match which gave the Sharks good field position and came close to scoring. He looked hesitant in attack and made just 52m from six runs during his 59 minute stint.

4. Cronulla’s halves Shaun Johnson and Chad Townsend are in form, setting up two tries and made two linebreak assists between them. Fullback Matt Moylan also had a hand in one try and teamed up well with his halves pairing.

5. The Sharks right edge is shaping to be one of the most potent in the NRL. Winger Sione Katoa racked up 216m, four linebreaks and bagged a first half double. His inside centre Josh Dugan also looked dangerous, scoring a try and setting up another.

rj62
24-03-19, 09:32 AM
Absolutely-that body language by Peats where he did a shrug repeatedly just instils negativity
His indifference for a guy with a reputation of being a real competitor is baffling

I missed that....must have turned it off before. Was it after the siren?

Dooldog76
24-03-19, 10:07 AM
My thoughts:
The first half was atrocious and the third try that Cronulla scored was off a forward pass. What bummed me most is that it seemed like ages before the ball finally got to peachy before he fumbled it. No effort. No one was pushing up with arrow and that one out hit up stuff is embarrassing. I'm also not sure how Bronson wasn't given a penalty try. My thoughts go back to the finals game against the Broncos and they were awarded a penalty try for much less. I lament.
The most worrying thing was the lack of communication in our plays. How many times did they have to concede a tackle because they were running behind players? Schoolboy errors.
Second half we had a dig and arrow was immense. It's only round two, but after that effort I feel like we will be saying that up until round 15.

Mr Bods
24-03-19, 11:02 AM
I missed that....must have turned it off before. Was it after the siren?

No No it was constantly in play when we were in possession. Titanic wrote a post about it too. Waving his arms about at his side like a shrug communicating to the team “what do I do now” as if we are a disorganised shambles.
Terrible look.

NZFan
24-03-19, 11:20 AM
I was at this game and watching it live noticed some very worrying signs. For so long we have been hearing about how the boys are so well drilled and the fittest they have been in a long time. Apart from perhaps Peats, Arrow and a few select others I didn't see many signs of this. In the second half when the play was in front of me I watched our defensive line time after time lumber back the ten metres and most of the time barely make it. It might seem like I am picking on him but in one set I watched Don (who was in front of me, thats the only reason I am using him as an example) not make the 10 metres when the play was on the other side of the field and turn his back to the play of the ball when it was getting passed from dummy half. Kelly wasn't much better. To me that shows negligence and laziness. Either this is some great spin doctoring by our media department about how the players are super fit or the players are just taking shortcuts. Either way this attitude won't win games.

There also seems to be absolutely no game plan apart from trying to bend the line with our middle forwards. For two weeks we have attempted to do this and for two weeks we have lost the forward battle. Even when we do break the line like Arrow did, we don't know what to do next. Nobody is pushing up in support and nobody is organising the next play. However, I can't see this changing any time soon because at the moment we don't seem to have any other viable options.

Our left side defence is still an absolute shambles. We have been saying it for years but nothing has changed. We had the chance to recruit a decent left side back rower over the off season but for some reason nobody viewed that as a priority so here we are still.

I don't think all is lost just yet but Brennan needs to make some serious decisions and needs to make them quick.

For me; I echo the sentiments of everyone else about getting Rein back. I do think Peats should still start the game but get subbed 50min in and allow Rein to spark the attack. However, Peats does need to be put on notice and somebody desperately needs to teach him how to pass off the ground again because his service has seriously gone down hill since Brennan arrived.

I would like to see Proctor change sides to the left and stiffen that sides defence. He is offering nothing on attack on the right side so why not give somebody else a crack. I'd personally start with Hipgrave for his aggression (who cares about the penalties at least there will be a sign of effort) and then give Cartwright a run there. James back to the middle where he belongs.

I think Boyd should also be used more as an impact forward, coming on after 20min when their forwards are starting to tire. James to start with Wallace, but he also needs to lift his game and stop giving away needless penalties. On a side note he was also in front of me when he came off and he is still not where he should be weight wise. If you compare him to MoFo - there is light years between their physiques. If I had to choose between them I'd much rather have Mo in the 17.

Other than those things; I think Micks time is up. He's looking tired out there and we need spark from a fullback. I'd put AJ back there as soon as we have a half return from injury. I'll keep bleating on about it but Don is never going to get us into the finals. I'd give almost any of our other outside backs a run there (apart from Copley) but we desperately need some youth and some flippen speed in our outside backs.

But I guess the last point I'd like to make is one that I feel needs to happen immediately. If we are ever going to see a change of culture to one that prioritises winning then we need to give Arrow the captaincy. It is plain to see that he is not only our best player but also a natural born leader. James has done well over the years but it has taken its toll on him. Every week Arrow leads from the front and does his best to lift the players. We haven't had a player at the club who plays as hard as he does for a very long time. It will be interesting to see whether Brennan can see that this season or if we will be forced to wait until it is all but lost again before he starts making those big calls that he keeps going on about.

Mr Bods
24-03-19, 11:41 AM
^^^ awesome post. I thought we looked less fit and struggling to get onside v Canberra too.
The loss of the Catterick Crew to Penrith is an unmitigated disaster.
Last year despite not being a good year for us was outstanding in health and fitness.

DIEHARD
24-03-19, 02:14 PM
Excellent post NZFan, thanks for taking the time to write that up. Your on ground observations are concerning.

I was thinking yesterday (along with many), in the aftermath and the realisation of Arrow's stats how good a captain he would make. Also his attitude post game, mentioned by Bods. Arrow really got noticed once again by the NRL community.

I agree with Rein. And 100% that we should be playing AJ at 1 and not follow the vogue of putting fullbacks at 5/8th.

I'd personally start with Hipgrave for his aggression (who cares about the penalties at least there will be a sign of effort)

We do lack passion and effort. God, it's nearly non existent from our side.

Mexican titan
24-03-19, 02:24 PM
Yes, great post NZfan.
The only thing I didn't like reading was Hipgrave - I don't want him anywhere near the side unless his discipline has changed. I agree re Rein but I think it should be one or the other as I think Rein can go the 80 minutes. Peats needs to be dropped.
I also watched the two games after hours and couldn't help think just how much faster across the park that three of those 4 sides (not Manly unfortunately) were than us. We are a really slow and lumbering side and I thought that buying Boyd was just more of the same. I have not been proven incorrect at this stage.
It's early days but Brennan will soon be getting very nervous when he sees Meninga near the training field as happens most sessions. There is a ready made coaching replacement right there.

DIEHARD
24-03-19, 02:31 PM
Titans need belief they can still win
http://www.sundaymail.com.au

GOLD Coast coach Garth Brennan admits his side needs to find some confidence and believe it can win again if it is to be a serious premiership contender this season.

The Titans failed to capitalise on an improved yet patchy performance yesterday afternoon, going down 20-6 to Cronulla in front of 15,217 fans at Sydney’s Shark Park.

Expectations were high for the Gold Coast leading into the 2019 season following the recruitment of Mal Meninga as the new performance boss but last night they sat at the bottom of the NRL ladder.

The Gold Coast have lost both their games to start this season but perhaps in a more worrying trend, they managed two wins in their last nine games of the 2018 season.

With largely the same personnel on the roster, Brennan said the losses were beginning to take a toll.

“We’re getting close, just not close enough.

“We’re a team that’s hoping that we can win and not believing that we can win.

“That’s probably a bit because they’re down on confidence at the moment.

“We crossed the tryline four times and couldn’t take a break and didn’t deal with the disappointment of not getting a try.

“We’ll keep working hard and putting ourselves in a position to win games.”

There were glimpses of hope for the Titans’ future during yesterday’s clash.

Lock Jai Arrow put in a mammoth performance in the middle.

The 101kg Queenslander was a standout, racking up 299m from 28 hit-ups playing in a losing side.

It came after Brennan challenged his forward pack to “step it up” against the Sharks this round following their poor Round 1 performance against Canberra in Robina.

“He’s special, isn’t he?” Brennan said of Arrow.

“If everyone showed as much passion as what Jai Arrow showed there today (yesterday), then the result is probably different.’’

Gold Coast started the game with plenty of zip and would have been in the lead after five minutes but tries to captain Ryan James and Arrow were turned down by the video referee.

It took 130 minutes, but the Titans got their first fourpointer for 2019 through winger Brenko Lee, who took advantage of some scrambling Cronulla defence.

Their possession on the Sharks’ line should have been converted into more points after having been tackled 59 times inside Cronulla’s 20m line.

They seemed to lack the experience and kicking game of No.7 Taylor as new halves pairing AJ Brimson and Ryley Jacks tried to take control.

Brimson and Jacks will require some more time to settle into their new playmaking roles and will need to work on their kicking game if the Titans are to score more points.

In the end, Gold Coast were outshone by the experience and skill of Sharks halves Shaun Johnson and Chad Townsend, who celebrated his 100th NRL match.

Winger Sione Katoa’s firsthalf double helped guide Cronulla to a 20-0 halftime lead.

DavidBouveng
No dount Arrow is our best player right now, but I dont know if we really want to load him with the captaincy right now do we?

He is still a baby really, and has had injuries most of last year. Lets let him get a proper season under his belt first i think for his own benefit as much as anything.

I really like James, but in the same vein as the coach - if you cant get your team 'up', then maybe its time to look elsewhere for a captain.

Peats could have made the team his by now, but looks like he will not get there, and there is an opportunity for Ash if he grows up in the next year or two to be our leader. but he is a ways off. I think James will see out the year, but if Arrow keeps it up he may find himself and Ash as Co-Captains in the near future.

also - should out the titans / Manly fans on the forum. you guys are gonna have a rough year. and i feel sick about our team, imagine having that two times over... i hope the liquor cabinets are well stocked and your have a good sense of humour cos damn 2019 is going in dry on you folk.

DIEHARD
5 THINGS WE LEARNT YESTERDAY
http://www.sundaymail.com.au

1 Titans coach Garth Brennan challenged his forward pack to step it up against a strong Cronulla side and they certainly did. Jai Arrow (299m) and Ryan James (171m) did their best to build momentum through the middle of the park. Both had opportunities to score but they were denied by the video referee.

2 The Titans’ halves pairing AJ Brimson (right) and Ryley Jacks will need time to settle into their new roles. Jacks had a nervy start for his new club, making two critical errors and some poor kicking options. Brimson was a livewire at fiveeighth and chanced his arm with a few short kicks but wasn’t able to convert.

3 Bryce Cartwright is still far from being back to his best. The forward made two crucial errors which gave the Sharks good field position and the hosts came close to scoring. Cartwright looked hesitant in attack and made just 52m from six runs during his 59-minute stint.

4 Cronulla’s halves Shaun Johnson and Chad Townsend are in form, setting up two tries and made two linebreak assists between them. Fullback Matt Moylan also had a hand in one try and teamed up well with his halves.

5 The Sharks’ right edge is shaping to be one of the most potent in the NRL. Winger Sione Katoa (left) racked up 216m, four linebreaks and bagged a first-half double. His inside centre Josh Dugan also looked dangerous, scoring a try and setting up another.

DIEHARD
24-03-19, 02:33 PM
also - should out the titans / Manly fans on the forum. you guys are gonna have a rough year. and i feel sick about our team, imagine having that two times over... i hope the liquor cabinets are well stocked and your have a good sense of humour cos damn 2019 is going in dry on you folk.

:laugh:

For this reason I follow the BRL, Super League and Championship. (I don't really have a QCUP team) Going to watch a livestream of the Diehards later today.

I just need to see someone I care about winning!

Boonarga
24-03-19, 02:44 PM
^^^ awesome post. I thought we looked less fit and struggling to get onside v Canberra too.
The loss of the Catterick Crew to Penrith is an unmitigated disaster.
Last year despite not being a good year for us was outstanding in health and fitness.

We seemed to have a LOT of players going down with cramps yesterday. Far more than is normal.

ozynorts
24-03-19, 03:04 PM
Good summary nzfan, and also agree with MT about our pack.
I don’t agree with Hiprgrave though. He’s a loose cannon. People like to compare him to Bird but I think we have a much better version of Bird in Arrow. Offers the same sort of work rate as Bird without the rubbish.

Titanic
24-03-19, 03:12 PM
Don’t agree with Arrow as captain yet but James needs to be in the middle. They look tired, not unfit, imho. Start King at left edge. Boyd, Peachy and Cartwright are all bench forwards. Kelly to left centre and blood a rookie on the right.

rj62
24-03-19, 03:57 PM
No No it was constantly in play when we were in possession. Titanic wrote a post about it too. Waving his arms about at his side like a shrug communicating to the team “what do I do now” as if we are a disorganised shambles.
Terrible look.

Ah ok....Frustration?

Titanic Believer
24-03-19, 04:30 PM
Watching the Canterberry Parra game. We may be able to beat the Dogs!

DIEHARD
24-03-19, 05:23 PM
Watching the Canterberry Parra game. We may be able to beat the Dogs!

Woah what a score reversal from what it was when I was viewing, it was about 10-0 to the Dogs. Ended 36-16 to the Eels.

Mexican titan
24-03-19, 07:30 PM

Thanks for your concern DB. The difference this year from last is what? I was conditioned to this last year but while I had few hopes for Manly I was really hoping the Titans would salvage this year for me.
I have a few o/s trips booked now that it's not worth sticking around for the footy. I used to check the draw before I booked holidays but not anymore. the worst part about it is I'll still stream at least the radio coverage wherever I am, so I don't really escape.

Mr Bods
24-03-19, 07:45 PM
^^^^ what a surprise to hear a Silvertail has multiple overseas trips lined up
It’s a tough life

Mexican titan
24-03-19, 08:32 PM
It’s a tough life

Hah. You are a Cronulla boy, also near the water except on the south side.
I'll be going in to debt to avoid the footy matches! If I was a Silvertail I'd still be living there.

Titanic
25-03-19, 10:35 AM
Thanks for your concern DB. The difference this year from last is what? I was conditioned to this last year but while I had few hopes for Manly I was really hoping the Titans would salvage this year for me.
I have a few o/s trips booked now that it's not worth sticking around for the footy. I used to check the draw before I booked holidays but not anymore. the worst part about it is I'll still stream at least the radio coverage wherever I am, so I don't really escape.Subscribe to watchnrl.com and get a vpn ... you'll never miss a game, while sipping Maitais and being served by scantly-clad nubile wenches, no matter which side you bat on :laugh:

It’s a tough lifeGee Bodsie that's harsh :) I live on international flights and on the Coast or in China depending how you classify that but I can tell you it is a hard life ... especially being a Titans supporter :cry:

Upthetits
25-03-19, 12:17 PM
Feels like gath cant even get the basics right. Everygame the shortball to proctor doesnt work. Everygame when they play aj out the back he gets shutdown too fast. This has been going on for far to long. Why are they not standing deeper in attack inside the opposition 20? If you compare how deep the sharks were on their backline plays to us its ridiculous to think these professional footballers cant figure it out on their own.

If they rush proctor and aj get peachey to drift around,, run the block play with proctor and brimson but have peach float outwider of brimson and take the long ball. If they rush the whole 3 chip over the top for the outside men. The fact they have not changed anything from last season in regards to basic setup inside the opposition 20m frustrates me beyond belief.

This constant bash a front rower over the line is under 14s stuff. It just gives the offensive line way to much time to setup and shoot up from nearly offside on our wide men. I understand improvement will come the more games this team plays together but to not see any improvement since last season is truly worrying signs.

Also i would like to see rein back in the fold, we need some speed through the middle.

The Mole
25-03-19, 06:20 PM
Feels like gath cant even get the basics right. Everygame the shortball to proctor doesnt work. Everygame when they play aj out the back he gets shutdown too fast. This has been going on for far to long. Why are they not standing deeper in attack inside the opposition 20? If you compare how deep the sharks were on their backline plays to us its ridiculous to think these professional footballers cant figure it out on their own.

If they rush proctor and aj get peachey to drift around,, run the block play with proctor and brimson but have peach float outwider of brimson and take the long ball. If they rush the whole 3 chip over the top for the outside men. The fact they have not changed anything from last season in regards to basic setup inside the opposition 20m frustrates me beyond belief.

This constant bash a front rower over the line is under 14s stuff. It just gives the offensive line way to much time to setup and shoot up from nearly offside on our wide men. I understand improvement will come the more games this team plays together but to not see any improvement since last season is truly worrying signs.

Also i would like to see rein back in the fold, we need some speed through the middle.

We must have similar minds. I agree with everything.

Titanic
25-03-19, 07:05 PM
Stand deep and run on to the ball ... when did the game stop depending on forward momentum? The answer is NEVER.

ozynorts
25-03-19, 07:21 PM

Great post mate. On Rein and Peats, Ennis on the big league wrap touched on Peats and his lack of creativity. We aren’t the only ones that can see it.