PDA

View Full Version : Round 23: TITANS vs MANLY

DIEHARD
13-08-18, 04:51 PM
TITANS vs MANLY
FRIDAY 17TH AUGUST, Robina

teke
13-08-18, 05:10 PM
Give us LG early so we can start planning our 2019 assault.

DIEHARD
13-08-18, 05:35 PM
Game offers a chance to jump above Manly on the ladder and further from the bottom. With games against Storm and Cowboys, it's going to be a tough end of the season. Storm will be buoyed by Slater's exit and Cowboy doing it for JT.

Titanic Believer
13-08-18, 06:00 PM
wow! a tough end to the season. But I hope there is some joy in it. I don't want to end the season on a downer. Cows and Storm my back up teams. (Queenslander) so we better win over Manly.

On this season, I have softened in my "hate" of other clubs. Finding myself actively cheering for Newcastle and the Tigers this year. I must favour the underdogs.

DIEHARD
13-08-18, 06:02 PM
On this season, I have softened in my "hate" of other clubs. Finding myself actively cheering for Newcastle and the Tigers this year. I must favour the underdogs.

I certainly save a lot of hate for certain clubs, especially the Broncos. But those years in the NRL wilderness and the slaughter of Super League forever made me a Rugby League fan. So you find yourself cheering underdogs for the good of the game and willing certain results. But all that also leads to US winning, Rugby League and Queensland and future expansion needs us to be successful.

Menoitios
14-08-18, 12:42 PM
This should be an interesting game. Their big blokes fired last week (AFB in particular) and DCE was on fire in the second half.

Ash better be switched on this week! I reckon we'll roll them by 8.

teke
14-08-18, 01:27 PM
This should be an interesting game. Their big blokes fired last week (AFB in particular) and DCE was on fire in the second half.

Ash better be switched on this week! I reckon we'll roll them by 8.I reckon Manly will roll the tits by plenty

Menoitios
14-08-18, 01:37 PM
Sea Eagles v Titans: Round 23 preview

The battle among teams to avoid the wooden spoon is almost as intriguing as what's happening at the top end of the Telstra Premiership ladder.

This Friday night clash brings together the 12th and 13th-placed teams, both with 7-14 records.
Sitting just one win behind the Sea Eagles and Titans in a three-way tie for last place are the Cowboys, Bulldogs and Eels - all desperate to avoid finishing at the bottom of the pile.

So with that in mind, this game should be more intense than what you might normally expect from a 12 v 13 duel.

Key match-up: AJ Brimson looked right at home in his first game at fullback for the Titans and it remains to be seen if the spot will be his going forward into next season. He'll face a great test in trying to match it with in-form Manly fullback and NSW Origin star Tom Trbojevic this week.

For the Sea Eagles to win: As mentioned, 'Turbo Tom' has been great since returning from a triumphant Origin series in which he was one of the standout performers for NSW. Daly Cherry-Evans has also played well and if the pair maintains their recent form Manly should come away with a victory.

For the Titans to win: Have to feel for Garth Brennan and the Titans after last week's golden point loss. Despite clearly being the better team for a large majority of the game, they still lost, giving up a try in literally the final second of regulation time. So the simple lesson here is to follow one of rugby league's oldest adages - play for 80 minutes.

Sea Eagles Stat Attack: The Titans will have to tie up Martin Taupau every time he carries the ball, though it might be easier said than done. The Sea Eagles prop leads the NRL in off-loads with 64, with Andrew Fifita (62) second.

Titans Stat Attack: Crafty Ash Taylor knows how to create for his teammates, with his 17 try assists tying him with Johnathan Thurston and Luke Keary in first place. But Taylor doesn't always get it right - his 17 handling errors are also the most in the NRL.

And another thing: If the Titans don't win this one, they might not win again this year given they host the Storm and Cowboys in the final two rounds. The same could be said for Manly, with road games against the Wests Tigers and Broncos to close out their 2018 campaign.

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles v Gold Coast Titans, Friday 6pm at Lottoland

Head-to-head: Played 17; Sea Eagles 1 wins, Titans 7 wins
Previous result: Titans won 32-20 at Marley Brown Oval in round 5
Points per game: Sea Eagles 20.5; Titans 18.9
Points conceded per game: Sea Eagles 24.3; Titans 24.2
Televised: Live on Nine, Fox League

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/14/manly-warringah-sea-eagles-v-gold-coast-titans-round-23-preview/

- - - Updated - - -

I reckon Manly will roll the tits by plenty

Yeah nah...

I think you must have not only your fingers and toes crossed...but also your wires! ;)

timor 2
14-08-18, 04:04 PM
Sea-Eagles v Titans
Friday, 17 August
Lottoland
6:00pm

1. Alexander Brimson
2. Anthony Don
3. Konrad Hurrell
4. Brenko Lee
5. Phillip Sami
6. Kane Elgey
7. Ash Taylor
8. Jarrod Wallace
9. Nathan Peats
10. Ryan James ©
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Keegan Hipgrave
13. Jai Arrow

14. Mitch Rein
15. Moeaki Fotuaika
16. Jack Stockwell
17. Will Matthews

18. Brendan Elliot
19. Jai Whitbread
20. Leilani Latu
21. Bryce Cartwright

JunctionBlock
14-08-18, 04:17 PM
https://i.imgur.com/TJeCzUn.png

Titanic
14-08-18, 04:18 PM
Matthews ... I’ll be totally stuffed. I would start Cartwright in front of this pipe-cleaner.

JunctionBlock
14-08-18, 04:18 PM
BCarty makes the extended bench.

Menoitios
14-08-18, 04:55 PM
Kingy would have been handy this week (and all the other weeks). I think I'd take Whitbread over Carty and Matthews.

JunctionBlock
14-08-18, 07:11 PM
Barrett just quit. Hopefully some turmoil at the club for us to captilaise on.

JunctionBlock
14-08-18, 07:23 PM
Oh man, I wonder if the inks dried on LG's contract. That's rough.

DavidBouveng
14-08-18, 08:06 PM
Oh man, I wonder if the inks dried on LG's contract. That's rough.

Will work out better for LG this way.

he will likely get Toovey - a tough as heck half who can teach him how small men do it.

or Henry is the other tip and he was his biggest supporter up here.

5 Year Contract
16-08-18, 07:51 PM
Barrett just quit. Hopefully some turmoil at the club for us to captilaise on.

I thought that would happen last week with the panthers but it was more capitulated than capitalised. I still think we roll manly this weekend

teke
17-08-18, 02:24 AM
I still think we roll manly this weekend:laugh:

I have to add more characters to the post, but the laugh was all i wanted

DavidBouveng
17-08-18, 07:12 AM
:laugh:

I don't think anyone at Manly has the right to laugh at anyone else at the moment.

It takes a lot to be the most dysfunctional team in this on running joke of a competition, but Manly have taken the cake this year hands down.

teke
17-08-18, 12:10 PM
I don't think anyone at Manly has the right to laugh at anyone else at the moment.

It takes a lot to be the most dysfunctional team in this on running joke of a competition, but Manly have taken the cake this year hands down.

I'll give this one aswell

DavidBouveng
17-08-18, 01:31 PM

I'll give this one aswell

:poke:

Detwelve12
17-08-18, 05:10 PM
Must admit im looking forward to tonights game.

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 05:13 PM
Guess who's back.....back again.....

https://i.imgur.com/rFeFwMA.png

- - - Updated - - -

Manly 1-17

Titan68
17-08-18, 05:25 PM
GEEZ NO , NO , NO , NO , NO , NO , NO , NO , NO , NO

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 05:35 PM
Matthews got dropped....lesser of two evils? Maybe he's improved? Maybe he wants to play well in front of Unci John?

Dooldog76
17-08-18, 05:42 PM
Let’s see how it goes... fox sports commentators bagging Elgey already. Going to be a cracker of a game.

BundyTitan
17-08-18, 05:51 PM
I don’t see why we are up in arms about Cartwright coming in? He may have been awful but he’s been dropped and this is his chance to prove he wants to be here. I actually feel better with him in the team over Matthews.

Dooldog76
17-08-18, 05:52 PM
Matthews got dropped....lesser of two evils? Maybe he's improved? Maybe he wants to play well in front of Unci John?

I think I prefer Cartwright

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 05:57 PM
I think I prefer Cartwright

If Cartwright can't out play Matthews then I hope he had a one way ticket and he can sleep at Uncle Johns house. Problem is that if he replaces Hipgrave then the supposed defensive liabilities of LG will be exploited once again due to the fact we give him a 2RF who can't tackle alongside him.

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 06:08 PM
Credit to Taylor for that 40/20. Made it look easy. Good start in a game that neither team is giving anything up for free.

Hopefully Don can get a couple more tonight.

Dooldog76
17-08-18, 06:12 PM
If Cartwright can't out play Matthews then I hope he had a one way ticket and he can sleep at Uncle Johns house. Problem is that if he replaces Hipgrave then the supposed defensive liabilities of LG will be exploited once again due to the fact we give him a 2RF who can't tackle alongside him.
Definitely more of an attacking weapon. Be interesting to see how he’s used.

- - - Updated - - -

That was way too soft

gotitans101_
17-08-18, 06:13 PM
Hipgrave again

What a signing.

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 06:15 PM
Hipgrave again

What a signing.

I would have thought our fullback one on one would have had a better showing, not the bloke that wasn't marking his opposite.

But holy **** that was soft after the kick off. Jesus, someone needs to kneecap T Turbo.

gotitans101_
17-08-18, 06:17 PM
oh yeah great defence there

we are definitely on the up

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 06:19 PM
Three more games and I never have to watch Hurrell again, surely.

BundyTitan
17-08-18, 06:19 PM
I am so over Elgey, how can one guy let so many overlaps happen. Hurrell too.

Pathetic last 10 minutes from the whole team too.

Dooldog76
17-08-18, 06:20 PM
That was disgraceful

teke
Manly gonna flog them and i'll be embarassed. Both garbage teams

5 Year Contract
We can sign the Australian backline but until this constant "GRABBING" bull**** excuse for defence this club continues to peddle out every ****ing week then we will not compete. Im so ****ing tired of the same grabby, half assed, no heart attempts every week

gotitans101_
17-08-18, 06:21 PM
Manly gonna flog them and i'll be embarassed. Both garbage teams

we are way more of a joke than Manly are. Same **** week after week. Where is the improvement? There is none. Next year is going to be another long year so long as we keep all these turnstyles in our team.

Whats Doing
17-08-18, 06:22 PM
The problem is in the middle. They are not moving up at all in defence and Manly are making ridiculous metres. Don’t blame the outside edges if the middles are doing SFA.
The forwards are a disgrace defendively

gotitans101_
17-08-18, 06:23 PM
The problem is in the middle. They are not moving up at all in defence and Manly are making ridiculous metres. Don’t blame the outside edges if the middles are doing SFA.
The forwards are a disgrace defendively

Yeah true, our forwards are soft as butter too, but our edge defence is awful and has been awful for years.

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 06:24 PM
Manly's second phase and quick play negates you moving up off your line, they have to hold.

5 Year Contract
17-08-18, 06:25 PM
If the very real threat of the spoon cant get us to offer up more than "this" then I continue to question the culture at the club. Coaches sure as **** haven't changed it. What will it take

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 06:26 PM
Good news for those of us playing T Turbo in SuperCoach. He's on 105 after 22 mins.

Ausphin
17-08-18, 06:29 PM
If Lee and Hurrell are anywhere near our starting lineup next season we are in massive trouble. Both are horrendous in defence.

2 games to go in the season, seriously Garth, give Sami a shot in the centres. Can't be any worse.

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 06:30 PM
And who would play outside him?

ozynorts
17-08-18, 06:31 PM
Good news for those of us playing T Turbo in SuperCoach. He's on 105 after 22 mins.

And like some sort of fool I didnt either captain or vc him.

- - - Updated - - -

And who would play outside him?

Give Leo a shot

Ausphin
17-08-18, 06:34 PM
AJ just saved a try twice in 3 tackles. He must be our fullback next season.

I like Hipgrave's intensity, but a bench player at best atm, a starting quality 2nd rower is our #1 priority.

teke
17-08-18, 06:36 PM

Lol he gonna hit 2 billion

lonegull
What about a defensive coach might be a start because at the moment they haven’t got a clue on how to tackle

gotitans101_
lmfao that defence hahahaha

Dooldog76
17-08-18, 06:37 PM
I might as well put a gag ball in my mouth. This is truly awful.

Ausphin
17-08-18, 06:37 PM
And like some sort of fool I didnt either captain or vc him.

- - - Updated - - -

Give Leo a shot

I don't think Leo can because he is not contracted.

Don't really care who plays there, we are only talking 2 games this year. Hell, stick Brenko there. Presume TRD is still injured.

I just think AJ will be fb next year and Gordon, Don and Sami battling for the wings, but I think long term Sami could be a centre.

BundyTitan
17-08-18, 06:38 PM
We deserve the spoon, absolutely embarrassing. Not one ounce of improvement in our defence all year. Have we been doing anything at training?

gotitans101_
17-08-18, 06:39 PM
So I'm still wondering what Garth Brennan has improved from Neil Henry's coaching?

edit: I actually take some of that back. Some of the players in this team weren't signed by Brennan so I'll give him a bit of leeway there.

lonegull
17-08-18, 06:41 PM
Actually I have never seen a tackling bag in any photos of training sessions maybe they might purchase one next year

- - - Updated - - -

So Garth’s presser “we are a young team .............

gotitans101_
17-08-18, 06:42 PM
"We are a young team. I say it every week, they never gave up until the end. We'll be better for it. They'll learn from that."

lonegull
17-08-18, 06:43 PM
Brimson is the only one who don’t need tackling practice another try saver

Dooldog76
Can’t wait for Cartwright to come on.

psmitty
We have gone backwards from last year. All of our key players have gone average to terrible. Our backline is crap and those who think the addition of Peachy and Boyd will change things are in fantasy land. We are a bottom four team even with them in the team. I think this will only lead to the sacking of Brennan which I am for. It may not happen this year but it will be where it ends. If we pay peanuts we get peanuts.

Firetruck
17-08-18, 06:45 PM
How in hell can Brennan keep Hipgrave on the field? His missed tackles are embarrassing. And Wallace...he was blowing like a steam engine after 10 minutes and, as usual, gets replaced after 15. Not good enough. I think he needs to get his swollen head deflated. The saving grace when Walkace goes off is that we can bring on an 18 yo in MoFo to show them all how to eat Metres and tackle.

5 Year Contract
17-08-18, 06:46 PM
Can’t wait for Cartwright to come on.

hey ill give him a shot at this stage none of our other forwards look like they want to play tonight so hopefully he does

Ausphin
17-08-18, 06:47 PM
I am not overstating this, without Brimson they would be 40+

lonegull
17-08-18, 06:49 PM
Brenton lee looks like an under 6 kid playing against men he hasn’t got any idea in defence

gotitans101_
We have gone backwards from last year. All of our key players have gone average to terrible. Our backline is crap and those who think the addition of Peachy and Boyd will change things are in fantasy land. We are a bottom four team even with them in the team. I think this will only lead to the sacking of Brennan which I am for. It may not happen this year but it will be where it ends. If we pay peanuts we get peanuts.

Our signings have a lot to do with it too I think. When we signed Hurrell and Lee I expressed my concerns over their defence and now it's showing....badly. We sign rejects from other clubs but we hardly, if ever, improve them. We sign Peachey next year who is a great player in a good team but how will he go in a team like ours? He will just add to our defensive softness if you ask me.

lonegull
I am not overstating this, without Brimson they would be 40+

Totally agree

teke
17-08-18, 06:50 PM
Poor Brimson makes his way into 1st grade as a half prospect and ends up mastering the hooker position with the amount of tackling hes had to do

lonegull
17-08-18, 06:50 PM
Got to give credit also to big Mo fantastic effort once again

BundyTitan
17-08-18, 06:51 PM
AJ sand Mo are just about the only positive points to take out of this year, and of course the Don as always.

gotitans101_
17-08-18, 06:53 PM
When do Lee and Hurrell's contracts run out?

I know they aren't the only ones but those are the two I'd be getting rid of first. They will never learn how to defend.

Wallace is stuck here for however many years we re signed him for.
Proctor I'm not sure of.
Hipgrave is stuck with us.

Whats Doing
17-08-18, 06:54 PM
Manly should have put 40 on us.

Brennan has done nothing in defence this year and I think we are actually worse this year.

The forwards do not move off the line and Manly are strolling upfield like a Sunday walk.

Brennan is not the answer to solve our defensive issues and in fact we have gone backwards.

Kelly and Frizelle need to do something urgently

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 06:57 PM
Well this ain't good. You get the feeling that Manly could score on any set of six with our back peddling. This is US trying to avoid the spoon against a lesser team (on the ladder).

Maybe our attack should be sent down Kelly's side because he used to be a Titan and can't defend either.

Good to see Garth giving them a spray. if they don't respond then they are either incapable or have no respect for coach and team.

Dooldog76
17-08-18, 06:58 PM
I hope Brennan is peeling the paint off the walls right now.

GCTTSD
17-08-18, 06:59 PM
Garth looked absolutely furious yelling at the guys in the sheds, good signs, didn't think he had it in him

gotitans101_
17-08-18, 06:59 PM
if they don't respond then they are either incapable or have no respect for coach and team.

Look out, I got laughed at for suggesting that last week.

Anyway like I said, I don't 100% blame Garth...some of the players he's got to work with...no coach could turn them around (looking at you Lee and Hurrell). But he is responsible for some of our questionable signings that's for sure.

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 07:01 PM
When do Lee and Hurrell's contracts run out?

Lee just got a one year extension through 2019
Hurrell is on the same contract to finish next year too.

Keep in mind these are both second choice centres due to injury.

Rabbitohs are in contention this year and got smacked when their first string backs were replaced last night too. Fairs fair.

gotitans101_
17-08-18, 07:04 PM
Lee just got a one year extension through 2019
Hurrell is on the same contract to finish next year too.

Keep in mind these are both second choice centres due to injury.

Rabbitohs are in contention this year and got smacked when their first string backs were replaced last night too. Fairs fair.

Who else is injured? Copley and ?

Ausphin
17-08-18, 07:05 PM
In my mind any debate about AJ playing 6 or 1 should be over. At this stage in his career his best value to us is at fullback.

His defence and workrate is outstanding and he showed just before halftime what he can do chiming in to the backline. I love Michael Gordon but he doesn't make half the defensive stops AJ has.

I think Ryley Jacks is the best of the options out there at 6. If not, based on our current squad I want to see-

Brimson
Don
Sami / Peachey
Copley
Gordon / Sami
Peachey / Roberts (God forbid)
Taylor

gotitans101_
17-08-18, 07:08 PM
Gordon could move to the centres couldn't he?

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 07:11 PM
Who else is injured? Copley and ?

Due to injury and a terrible roster. haha

- - - Updated - - -

This is the part we all get our hopes up. Manly have gone to sleep thankfully. Hopefully we can captialise even further.

Nice start to the second half and thankfully a forward pass called on Manly.

ozynorts
17-08-18, 07:12 PM
There could be 80 plus points scored in this game

Hail Sezer
Look out, I got laughed at for suggesting that last week.

Anyway like I said, I don't 100% blame Garth...some of the players he's got to work with...no coach could turn them around (looking at you Lee and Hurrell). But he is responsible for some of our questionable signings that's for sure.

No. We laughed at you because you said Brenko Lee jersey grabs because he doesnt want to play under Brennan lol. Still funny.

That was a great pass from Kane. Well timed too. How bittersweet is it seeing him play well :cry:

Nols of the Goldy
Hang on what happened. I blinked and now we have scored two tries. :surprise::banana:

lonegull
Why can they come out and produce this football at the start of the 2nd half

gotitans101_
17-08-18, 07:13 PM
No. We laughed at you because you said Brenko Lee jersey grabs because he doesnt want to play under Brennan lol. Still funny.

That was a great pass from Kane. Well timed too. How bittersweet is it seeing him play well :cry:

What about when the whole team are doing it? Wouldn't that mean there's no commitment?

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 07:14 PM
Let's not argue. Enjoy the chance we have created.

Hail Sezer
17-08-18, 07:16 PM
What about when the whole team are doing it? Wouldn't that mean there's no commitment?

100%

They arent all horrible. Just the majority lol. Lets remmeber we have a roster full of notoriously poor defenders whether it be through reacting or contact - Ash, Kane, Hurrell, Lee, Hipgrave, James, Rein, Carty..says a lot

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 07:18 PM
Singing in the Rein
Purple Rein
It's reining Tries
Rein down in Brookvale
Who'll stop the Rein

Nols of the Goldy
17-08-18, 07:19 PM
Whatever Brennan said seems to have worked. This is a different team second half.

lonegull
A bit of line speed in defence and look what’s happening, also must make a special mention to rein we look very lively when he comes on

gotitans101_
that Manly defence

Nols of the Goldy
17-08-18, 07:20 PM
Are you OK Teke :wave:

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 07:20 PM
Are you OK Teke :wave:

Noooooooooooooooo

Don't jinx us

ozynorts
17-08-18, 07:21 PM
Whatever Brennan said seems to have worked. This is a different team second half.
Combined with Manly switching off a bit and we are in with a huge show

Hail Sezer
17-08-18, 07:22 PM
Blocker please dont encourage it

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 07:23 PM
I tell you what if Sami had have chased through that kick from Ash that Turbo tried to clear with a kick we may have scored. No penalty for the check off the ball. At least the refs are consistently ****.

Hail Sezer
17-08-18, 07:25 PM
Taufua and errors in your own 20, name a more iconic duo

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 07:26 PM
Here we GOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Blocker, you're an idiot.

gotitans101_
17-08-18, 07:27 PM
I like what Stockwell has brought to the team. He's a good bench forward imo and gives his all when he comes on.

JunctionBlock
Taufua and errors in your own 20, name a more iconic duo

Uate and a high ball?

lonegull
A game of two half as the saying goes

teke
Haha so embarassing and fulfilling at the same time.

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 07:30 PM
AJ Brimson. Seriously, I'll garnish my wage to prop his up if we're ever in danger of losing him.

lonegull
17-08-18, 07:31 PM
Wow brimson just wow

gotitans101_
17-08-18, 07:32 PM
AJ!!!!!!!!!!!!

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 07:33 PM
Still haven't seen Bryce....or Bods

Nols of the Goldy
17-08-18, 07:34 PM
AJ definitely deserves Rookie of the year. How good is he :p

ozynorts
Still haven't seen Bryce....or Bods

Was thinking the same thing

5 Year Contract

hey teke!!! Do you like apples...…

HOW YOU LIKE DEM APPLES BUDDY

BundyTitan
17-08-18, 07:35 PM
Okay I eat my words, we've gone from our worst ever half of footy to almost our best ever.

Brimson you star, this guy is superb.

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 07:36 PM
The horror on Hurrells face when he knew he was going to have to defend the try line on his own was equal to the horror on my face when I realised Hurrell was going to have to defend the try line on his own.

gotitans101_
17-08-18, 07:38 PM
The horror on Hurrells face when he knew he was going to have to defend the try line on his own was equal to the horror on my face when I realised Hurrell was going to have to defend the try line on his own.

hahahha

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 07:42 PM
So do we avoid the spoon with this?

Nols of the Goldy
17-08-18, 07:44 PM
Gees the Manly crowd are woeful at best but they have deserted the ship already. Great for team morale.

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 07:46 PM
11 on 13 and they score. We are doing exactly what Manly did at half time. This is where we learn to shut a game out. Grrrrrrr

BundyTitan
17-08-18, 07:46 PM
So do we avoid the spoon with this?

Yeah you would think so now, although I thought we were safe weeks ago too.

Dooldog76
17-08-18, 07:47 PM
Must’ve been one hell of a spray

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 07:51 PM
This is upsetting me now. This is how we lost last week and we haven't learnt our lesson. That doesn't show improvement that shows complacency.

BundyTitan
17-08-18, 07:51 PM
Very disappointing to let them score a couple of consolation tries, especially after taking the 2 vs 11 men...

But a win means avoiding the wooden spoon so we will take the 2 points.

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 07:52 PM
As Brock Lesnar would say "we took chicken Sh!t and turned into chicken salad".

gotitans101_
17-08-18, 07:52 PM
Bad D Taylor.

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 07:53 PM
I'm giving odds $1.01 that a first time poster tonight mentions the difference in comments in the first half to the second half.

Ausphin
I didn't want to comment in the 2nd half for fear of jinxing them, but wtf just happened.

Firstly, Blocker and Corey Parker are the worst commentators. I hate every time I hear Parker speak. We are ahead by 18 with 10 to go and get a penalty. A chance to ush it out to them needing to score 4 times (particularly after what happened last week) and these idiots are questioning why take the 2??

Anyway, without wanting to sound like I have an unhealthy obsession with AJ, without him saving at least 4 try opportunities and scoring just before half-time, we are not even in the game at half-time.

I have bagged the guy enough, and he is not fully back, but I will give Ash some props tonight. Defence still not great but he actually seemed to be enjoying himself tonight and showed some classy touches.

teke
Welp. I did text DB it would be 50 all. Not far off

5 Year Contract
17-08-18, 07:58 PM
Two halves. Two teams. One day we will put it together. Some great touches but until we learn to be consistent we are still bottom 4. That said what a 2nd half!!!! Never say die and I would of loved to of heard Brennans rev up

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 08:02 PM
Welp. I did text DB it would be 50 all. Not far off

https://i.imgur.com/Ev3y1Sr.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Bodsy.....Where are you?

Ausphin
17-08-18, 08:04 PM
If both Eels (vs Storm) and Cowboys (vs sharks) lose this weekend we are guaranteed not to get the spoon as they play each other next weekend.

Whats Doing
17-08-18, 08:07 PM
Our defence is still sh!t. Don’t let a win cloud your judgement where those last 2 Manly tries just confirms the huge problems we have

JunctionBlock
17-08-18, 08:10 PM
At least they responded to their coach and answered for their fans and club.

The Mole
17-08-18, 08:12 PM
Rein > Peats
Come 2019 Rein needs to be starting and playing 80 if he can.
Peats should be bench lock/backup hooker at best. Can't believe Peats is on 600K compared to what Rein offers.

If you notice what Garth's vision is for the team, he's signed big players to get on the front foot (Boyd) and players with second phase play/offloading ability (Cartwright, Latu and Peachy) which we've lacked over numerous years. If it pays off we'll see huge benefits from it, whether his signings perform for him better in 2019 is another question.

Peats wouldn't be able to capitalize on the roll on/quick play the balls, Rein does which makes a huge difference to the team despite his occasionally poor service and defense.
It's a no brainer really.

5 Year Contract
17-08-18, 08:14 PM
Rein > Peats
Come 2019 Rein needs to be starting and playing 80 if he can.
Peats should be bench lock/backup hooker at best. Can't believe Peats is on 600K compared to what Rein offers.

If you notice what Garth's vision is for the team, he's signed big players to get on the front foot (Boyd) and players with second phase play/offloading ability (Cartwright, Latu and Peachy) which we've lacked over numerous years. If it pays off we'll see huge benefits from it, whether his signings perform for him better in 2019 is another question.

Peats wouldn't be able to capitalize on the roll on/quick play the balls, Rein does which makes a huge difference to the team despite his occasionally poor service and defense.
It's a no brainer really.
Agree 100% I know Rein is coming on for impact but he just has an energy and explosiveness that Peats is sorely lacking currently

Titanic Believer
17-08-18, 08:17 PM
Stating the obvious. happy to post after a win. But what was It? Storm and Cows will be looking at a gimme for at least one of their last two games. After a full season I can't see us improving defence in the last two games.

DavidBouveng
17-08-18, 08:23 PM
Glad to see Elgey have some fun in his last game or two before he leaves us.

Maybe a Gordon injury a few months ago might have seen this all a bit earlier.

glad to start the weekend off with a win, and rule out the spoon in my eyes.

enjoy the next two weeks guys - last 2 rounds are home games and we get to farewell Slater and JT.

Titanic
17-08-18, 08:36 PM
I'm giving odds $1.01 that a first time poster tonight mentions the difference in comments in the first half to the second half.No brainer ... I’ve just got out of hospital, restrained my kafooffal valve in the first half and tore the flange off it laughing at you guys’ mood swings in the second. Great win and teke’s ‘win by plenty’ prediction was spot on ... not :)

Storm will be resting a few next week.

teke
18-08-18, 01:26 AM
I see Taylor is getting most of the praise, he's got nothing on LG as a playmaker

If anything it just proves what a few have been saying for a long time, LG is a half and Taylor a 5/8

gotitans101_
18-08-18, 02:32 AM
I see Taylor is getting most of the praise, he's got nothing on LG as a playmaker

If anything it just proves what a few have been saying for a long time, LG is a half and Taylor a 5/8

good luck getting DCE to switch jumpers

Titanic
18-08-18, 06:27 AM
If anything it just proves what a few have been saying for a long time, LG is a half and Taylor a 5/8I also believe this. Taylor just doesn’t react fast enough. Next year we’ll see the same thing except Roberts making the decisions. Elgey will hurt us real bad when we play them.

JunctionBlock
18-08-18, 08:54 AM
No brainer ... I’ve just got out of hospital, restrained my kafooffal valve in the first half and tore the flange off it laughing at you guys’ mood swings in the second. Great win and teke’s ‘win by plenty’ prediction was spot on ... not :)

Storm will be resting a few next week.

Hope all is well.

Bayside Titan
18-08-18, 09:45 AM
If you look at Taylor’s and LG stats for last night LG played all over Taylor. Taylor missed 7 tackles and no line breaks. Last night I thought LG had a better heads up read of game which showed in his line break and to set up Taylor’s try.

Dooldog76
18-08-18, 09:45 AM
Well, they needed a kick in the a##e and they responded well. I’m excited for next year with Boyle and king fit as well as Boyd, Peachey and Roberts signing. Going to be competition for spots.

Bayside Titan
18-08-18, 09:54 AM
Mo continues to impress me more so these stats he was on the field for 28 minutes and ran for 93 metres. Really impressive for an 18 yr old front rower.

Also AJ reminds me of Munster abit.

DavidBouveng
18-08-18, 09:55 AM
If you look at Taylor’s and LG stats for last night LG played all over Taylor. Taylor missed 7 tackles and no line breaks. Last night I thought LG had a better heads up read of game which showed in his line break and to set up Taylor’s try.

there was no comparison at all - LG smoked him, but that's nothing new, he has outplayed or matched him in most games apart from some funky D early in the year and nothing we can do to change it either unfortunately.

we will have no one to blame but our self when LG fires down there and we are still paying a million for a dud.

DavidBouveng
18-08-18, 10:06 AM
For the record, Ash made 17 tackles and missed 7.

LG made 19, and missed 1.

JunctionBlock
18-08-18, 10:35 AM
For the record, Ash made 17 tackles and missed 7.

LG made 19, and missed 1.

LG had to make the tackles, his bodyguard made 17 and missed 6 in 57 mins of game time. That's a worry.

Not going to say anything bad about Ash. He played well last night. He's taken on the kicking duties, he scored a try. 5th tackle options were mainly through him and he got the 40/20, we got some repeat sets from drop outs and he made no errors. He stepped up with a lot more on his shoulders and he didn't crumble as we have seen previously when the bottom lip drops.

LG will be missed and he ran the ball a lot more than Ash but I don't think we are looking for Ash to run on the 5th are we?

MT, TitanPete, Bods, hope you guys are still around. Miss the contributions.

DavidBouveng
18-08-18, 10:39 AM
LG had to make the tackles, his bodyguard made 17 and missed 6 in 57 mins of game time. That's a worry.

Not going to say anything bad about Ash. He played well last night. He's taken on the kicking duties, he scored a try. 5th tackle options were mainly through him and he got the 40/20, we got some repeat sets from drop outs and he made no errors. He stepped up with a lot more on his shoulders and he didn't crumble as we have seen previously when the bottom lip drops.

LG will be missed and he ran the ball a lot more than Ash but I don't think we are looking for Ash to run on the 5th are we?

MT, TitanPete, Bods, hope you guys are still around. Miss the contributions.

hipgrave is a worry

and yeah some fair point about Ash

Boonarga
18-08-18, 10:39 AM

That pass to Taylor. So hard to do and get it right. Elegy did it at full pace and made it look simple.

JunctionBlock
18-08-18, 10:43 AM
hipgrave is a worry

First year and over zealous? I'm hoping we find or can develop an 80 minute back rower for that edge.

DavidBouveng
18-08-18, 11:03 AM
First year and over zealous? I'm hoping we find or can develop an 80 minute back rower for that edge.

yeah hipgrave is 20-25 minutes of unleashed madness and that will bring some missed tackles, so i think asking for 80 is a bit too much for him

- - - Updated - - -

That pass to Taylor. So hard to do and get it right. Elegy did it at full pace and made it look simple.

and the next one onto Hureel was nice, fooled defence into thinking AJ was getting it and landed perfectly for Hurrell to steam onto it. we've missed that all year as Ash has had to be first receiver so much

Dooldog76
18-08-18, 11:42 AM
I honestly believe that Taylor really needs an experienced half with him. Elgey, while not super experienced just takes the pressure off him. While AJ is amazing, I can’t help not think if we had brought Elgey back a bit earlier, results would’ve been different. I know a lot of people in here have had the same argument. When Taylor is playing with confidence, he is one of the best halves going around. He may have missed a lot of tackles, but some of that was his inside Man as well. I’m starting to think that Roberts at half might not be too bad, but then I think of how they held Henry to ransom and can’t really decide.

indoallstars
18-08-18, 12:05 PM
I honestly believe that Taylor really needs an experienced half with him. Elgey, while not super experienced just takes the pressure off him. While AJ is amazing, I can’t help not think if we had brought Elgey back a bit earlier, results would’ve been different. I know a lot of people in here have had the same argument. When Taylor is playing with confidence, he is one of the best halves going around. He may have missed a lot of tackles, but some of that was his inside Man as well. I’m starting to think that Roberts at half might not be too bad, but then I think of how they held Henry to ransom and can’t really decide.

I agree with this, I am one of the rare few which actually thinks Tyrone Roberts will be good for the club. He has enough experience to know when to slow or speed up the game, can pop up on both sides of the field, and we know he lifts Atays game.

I think having never give up players like Peachey could be the difference for a lot of our close games. I can't wait to see him and AJ working off each other with their speed and support play, especially if Rein continues his form.

It will be interesting to see what the team looks like at the start of 2019 and at the end of 2019. So many spots up for grabs with multiple players able to cover numerous positions, we def have points in us next season, I just want to see a hard edge to our defense with some good shots on.

shamus
19-08-18, 01:06 PM
I am aware of our abysmal defence in the first half but Manly’s 3rd try came after DCE put a kick through that deflected off a Manly players legs (Jackson)...so had to be offside, AJ knocked on cleaning up so scrum and Manly score. 4th try came from the boys simultaneously taking a Manly player over the sideline as ref called held. Penalty and try to Manly. Still terrible defence but thought I would highlight that.

- - - Updated - - -

Mind you I am watching the reply now and I am cringing at our efforts in the 1st half.

When watching live and we were down 22-6 I went and swapped my PJ’s out for some Titans gear. My actions changed the result of the game. You can thank me later for helping avoid the spoon.

JunctionBlock
19-08-18, 05:38 PM
I am aware of our abysmal defence in the first half but Manly’s 3rd try came after DCE put a kick through that deflected off a Manly players legs (Jackson)...so had to be offside, AJ knocked on cleaning up so scrum and Manly score. 4th try came from the boys simultaneously taking a Manly player over the sideline as ref called held. Penalty and try to Manly. Still terrible defence but thought I would highlight that.

- - - Updated - - -

Mind you I am watching the reply now and I am cringing at our efforts in the 1st half.

When watching live and we were down 22-6 I went and swapped my PJ’s out for some Titans gear. My actions changed the result of the game. You can thank me later for helping avoid the spoon.

Thank you Shamus. My lucky underwear were in the wash so I'm glad someone broke the jinx.

DavidBouveng
19-08-18, 07:11 PM
in all seriousness - it must be one of the most effective sprays ive ever seen. maybe its because it is coming from a guy who doesn't use it often, but i was watching and sat right up from lying down and was getting pumped. Telling the wife this is the Garth i want to see - who is demanding more and expects more, and i left her with the question, ' i wonder if it will be effective?'

Man alive

Titanic
19-08-18, 07:24 PM
You can't let the cart lead the horse ... player-power is just millennial claptrap ... treating these generally well-paid employees like princesses will only get you one thing ... respect, trust and honesty will get you everything ... even if you have to bruise a few egos along the way.

JunctionBlock
21-08-18, 06:48 AM
Gold Coast Titans captain says playing group deserved spray from coach
Emma Greenwood, emma.greenwood@news.com.au, Gold Coast Bulletin
August 20, 2018 3:00am
Subscriber only
TITANS captain Ryan James said his team needed the paint-peeling berating they received from coach Garth Brennan after an insipid first-half effort against Manly on Friday night.

Former policeman Brennan is not afraid to call a spade a spade but has been generally encouraging of his young Titans side as they struggle to find the consistency that can propel them into the top eight next season.

But the affable Brennan reached his breaking point on Friday night after the Titans’ woeful showing in the opening 40 minutes, with James saying the dressing down was just what the team needed.

“It was colourful to say the least,” James said of Brennan’s halftime address that helped turn around his team’s attitude and spur their 42-34 win against Manly.

“We needed it.”

After their capitulation to the Panthers a week earlier, the Titans were determined to start strongly and while they scored first against Manly, the following half-hour was woeful.

“Off the back of what we did last week it was disappointing to start the game like that and the second half showed what we can do as a club and a team,” James said.

“But we can’t keep dishing up something like that in the first half.”

Brennan might be a patient nurturer of talent but he has standards and was ropeable after his side’s opening half.

“The first half wasn’t acceptable defensively, there’s no doubt about that,” Brennan said.

“And it was disappointing.”

Repeated sprays are becoming a relic of the coaching past but a well-timed bollocking — especially from a coach that is usually restrained and encouraging — can be particularly effective and Brennan’s disappointment in his side was palpable.

“It needed a response and I believe in the guys and they weren’t dishing up what I knew they were capable of doing,” he said.

Gold Coast Titans coach and former policeman Garth Brennan delivered a paint-peeling spray to his players at halftime of their clash against Manly. Photo: AAP
“Our attack was never a concern for me, it was just our attitude in defence and our attitude just wasn’t there.

“We conceded 22 points but the way we conceded them was just unacceptable at an NRL level and I believe they’re better than that which is why I challenged them.”

The Titans round out their season with clashes against Melbourne and North Queensland, who will both be determined to perform to their best as they farewell legends of the game.

And the Gold Coast are determined not to earn the fury of their coach again.