PDA

View Full Version : Round 20: TITANS vs NZ WARRIORS

DIEHARD
21-07-18, 05:29 PM
TITANS vs NZ WARRIORS

Mr Bods
23-07-18, 03:48 PM
I have never gotten over the disrespect shown by the Warrior Fans in the disrespectful behaviour they displayed when asked to be silent for a few moments after David Mead’s Dad passed away.

Also I don’t recall us ever beating the Warriors at home, certainly not with me in attendance and their fans really rub our noses in it when it’s clear they have it wrapped up.

It’s becoming a sh*t sandwich this season and I’m not ruling out yet the possibility of us getting the wooden spoon.

Gee it would mean a lot to me if we won this one.

The Knights showed that a flat pass on our goal line to a hard running big guy is lethal against us.

NZ through Luke and all their athletic big guys have those ingredients in spades.
Brennan and our team desperately need to address this.

DavidBouveng
23-07-18, 03:59 PM
i don't think we will get spoon bods, the teams below who have won 3 all year would need to win 3 from 6 which i cant see one of them doing let alone two. and that's if we are win less on the road home.

Funny you say you don't recall us winning there because in refreshing you i will put out one flame and enrage another - LG went sick scoring 2 i think, set up another 2 or 3 and we won in a high scoring game where they came back late.

I just want to see improvement, commitment to some sort of game plan and a little bit of respect for our jersey.

Mr Bods
23-07-18, 04:02 PM
^^^^ really??? How can I not remember this. I believe you I’m just stunned I don’t recall it.

Does anyone else remember this?? Wonder how we can look up the history of games between us and them at Robina

PS would really appreciate someone posting evidence or a link to our last win at Robina against NZ if there ever was one.

DavidBouveng
23-07-18, 05:45 PM
Sorry Bods, i thought you meant away from home. we did that over there. sorry i misread it somehow.

although we did beat them at least once i can recall, in the first semi of 2010 to gain a week off before facing the Roosters in the GF qualifier.

Mr Bods
23-07-18, 05:52 PM
^^^ yeah that would be the last time for sure, you have solved it DB. Well done. It would be that semi in 2010.

Dooldog76
23-07-18, 06:37 PM
That’s because it’s a home game for the warriors. I hate these games just because we are clearly outnumbered in support and we are the home team.

5 Year Contract
23-07-18, 08:06 PM
Im excited for this game because im heading down from CQ to watch it! Been a long time between home games! Even shelled out for front row so they better ****ing win! Honestly though will be a tough game but id love for us to finally knock the warriors over at our home ground.

timor 2
24-07-18, 03:01 PM
Titans: 1 Michael Gordon, 2 Anthony Don, 3 Konrad Hurrell, 4 Brenko Lee, 5 Phillip Sami, 6 AJ Brimson, 7 Ashley Taylor, 8 Jarrod Wallace, 9 Nathan Peats, 10 Ryan James (c), 11 Kevin Proctor, 12 Keegan Hipgrave, 13 Jai Arrow

Interchange: 14 Mitch Rein, 15 Moeaki Fotuaika,16 Jack Stockwell, 17 Will Matthews

Reserves: 18 Leilani Latu, 19 Brendan Elliot, 20 Morgan Boyle, 21 Kane Elgey

Titans: Will Matthews replaces Leilani Latu on the bench in the only change.

Warriors: 1 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, 2 David Fusitu'a, 3 Gerard Beale, 4 Solomone Kata, 5 Ken Maumalo, 6 Blake Green, 7 Shaun Johnson, 8 James Gavet, 9 Issac Luke, 10 Agnatius Paasi, 11 Isaiah Papali'i, 12 Tohu Harris, 13 Simon Mannering

Interchange: 14 Jazz Tevaga, 15 Sam Lisone, 16 Joseph Vuna, 17 Bunty Afoa

Reserves: 18 Peta Hiku, 20 Karl Lawton, 21 Leivaha Pulu, 22 Mason Lino

Warriors: Blake Green returns at five-eighth for Mason Lino. Tohu Harris is back in the second row; Simon Mannering moves to lock with Adam Blair suspended. Sam Lisone replaces Tevita Satae on the bench.

Upthetits
24-07-18, 03:25 PM
Good to see latu dropped. I felt watching live he was responsible for the last try the Knights scored to win the game. Ball went 2 wide of the ptb he stopped / slowed his run then realised he made a mistake once they passed back inside and was half a metre short of making the tackle. Game was at 24-24 and we're defending on our line.

BundyTitan
24-07-18, 03:28 PM
Good to see latu dropped. I felt watching live he was responsible for the last try the Knights scored to win the game. Ball went 2 wide of the ptb he stopped / slowed his run then realised he made a mistake once they passed back inside and was half a metre short of making the tackle. Game was at 24-24 and we're defending on our line.

Agree he was looking better but still has these lazy parts of his game, especially in defence.

My only concern is replacing him with Matthews who shouldn't even be in first grade. Bring Boyle in.

Mr Bods
24-07-18, 03:34 PM
What the hell is going on with Boyle?? On recent selection evidence Latu, Matthews and Whitbread are all ahead of him. A year ago when he signed a new contract we were doing cartwheels about him.

Titanic
24-07-18, 03:36 PM
The Pipe-Cleaner ... oh well I will just shut the fug up :(

Hail Sezer
24-07-18, 03:46 PM
What the hell is going on with Boyle?? On recent selection evidence Latu, Matthews and Whitbread are all ahead of him. A year ago when he signed a new contract we were doing cartwheels about him.

his form for Burleigh hasn't really warranted selection IMO

Mr Bods
24-07-18, 04:02 PM
his form for Burleigh hasn't really warranted selection IMO

And that in itself is puzzling. The guy should have come on in leaps and bounds and he’s floundering.

JunctionBlock
24-07-18, 06:56 PM
You can't make this stuff up.

https://i.imgur.com/xjTzN11.png

- - - Updated - - -

Taken from the Courier Mail article....

THE NRL has left itself open to more claims of nepotism by sacking two officials from the Canberra Raiders-Cronulla Sharks refereeing debacle but retaining Gerard Sutton in first grade.

Sutton, the brother of referees boss Bernie Sutton, has had a slight demotion to handle the New Zealand v Gold Coast game despite the fact he ignored a touch judge’s flag and refused to stop the game.

If you don't laugh you'll break something.

Mr Bods
24-07-18, 07:01 PM
^^^ yeah and Sutton was the referee when we were robbed in that semi final against the Drongoes in 2016
He’s an absolute cheat and it’s a disgrace we have to cop him

DavidBouveng
24-07-18, 07:55 PM
his demotion is to ref us, what an insult

Titanic
24-07-18, 09:04 PM
his demotion is to ref us, what an insultThere is a limit and that’s it! Whoever said that should apologize to both the Titans and the Warriors. That’s totally uncalled for and any spin on ‘I was referring to the scheduling priorities’ just won’t wash. What an ar$ehole.

Mr Bods
24-07-18, 09:29 PM
Brennan at his press conference today once again dropped his “we’re a young side” line. He’s now offering excuses pre-game. I don’t like it. He’s covering his bum with this mantra.

Hail Sezer
24-07-18, 10:02 PM
Brennan at his press conference today once again dropped his “we’re a young side” line. He’s now offering excuses pre-game. I don’t like it. He’s covering his bum with this mantra.

relax matey...he's got a couple of go-to lines and I learned pretty quickly that they're just media conference fillers...theres no doubt about that :)

Mr Bods
25-07-18, 08:04 AM
^^^ I saw what you did there HS. Very good.

Menoitios
25-07-18, 11:39 AM
And that in itself is puzzling. The guy should have come on in leaps and bounds and he’s floundering.

Morgan did his shoulder in the preseason (dislocation). Then busted it again in round 8 against the knights (no dislocation but too much loose movement). They were tossing up wheather to operate or not and decided to rehab it for a couple of weeks and see how it went.

I think it still bothers him pain wise and he is a bit down on confidence with it. Surgery in the coming off season??

DIEHARD
25-07-18, 01:13 PM
Demoted to a TITANS v WARRIORS NRL game. What a stunning insult. And let's remember, the NZ Warriors are in the 8!

DIEHARD
25-07-18, 01:18 PM
It’s Hip to play fair
http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

GOLD Coast coach Garth Brennan has warned newly re-signed forward Keegan Hipgrave to rise above the baiting or expect a demotion to reserve grade.

The 21-year-old is tipped for big things and last week committed to a Titans side that will boast a pack full of representative forwards next season.

Hipgrave has earned a reputation for his aggressive on-field ways and this week described himself a “controlled loose cannon”.

Last month he became the first NRL player in 16 years to be sin-binned twice in one game, spending two stints off the field in his side’s Round 14 loss to South Sydney.

Brisbane’s pack also got the better of him and, after conceding another ill-timed penalty in the weekend’s loss to Newcastle, Brennan said Hipgrave needed to stop being taken advantage of by opposition nigglers.

“He’s got to be smarter than that. That’s just being dumb,” Brennan said.

“You’re going to play against a lot of players that are very good at that (niggling).

“If you’re going to bite every week then you’re going to be spending a fair bit of time on the sideline and if you’re doing that you’re going to be spending a bit of time at (Queensland Cup feeder clubs) Tweed or Burleigh.”

Hipgrave gets the chance to heed Brennan’s advice when the Titans take on the eighth-placed New Zealand Warriors at Cbus Super Stadium on Sunday.

Kane Elgey is on standby for boom Titans five-eighth AJ Brimson as he battles to overcome a concussion suffered on Saturday.

Elgey has not played at NRL level since Gold Coast’s Round 7 loss to North Queensland in April.

A groggy Brimson was helped from the field in Newcastle after copping a heavy hit while attempting to make a tackle.

Veteran second-rower Will Matthews has been named to make his return for the game, with prop Leilani Latu set to be relegated to 18th man.

For the Warriors, Blake Green and Tohu Harris have been included but they lose suspended prop Adam Blair.

Out-of-favour Titans recruit Bryce Cartwright is set to return for Tweed Heads after almost a month out following a broken hand.

Cartwright had been dropped by Brennan before the injury after a string of poor defensive efforts.

DIEHARD
25-07-18, 01:20 PM
Titans v Warriors: Green, Harris back for Warriors
http://www.nrl.com

Tough loss for the Warriors last week – their fourth at home this season. Their determined effort against the premiers would've been sufficient to beat most teams, but the Storm are the masters of low-scoring trench warfare and the Warriors shouldn't have lost any confidence.

Strangely enough, the Warriors have been more successful on the road than they have at home so they should feel good about their chances against arguably the competition's most inconsistent team. They also have a lot more to play for than the Titans and look they're in a finals frame of mind judging by last week's committed display.

They need Blake Green to return fully fit but the Warriors should still be aiming for a top four finish, despite the solid form of the teams above them.

The Titans ruined their faint finals hopes by blowing a 24-10 lead against the Knights last week and their main motivation now will be to play a nuisance role in the run to the finals.

Key match-up: Ash Taylor v Shaun Johnson. Taylor has come under fire at different stages of the season and has been feeling the heat again lately after some up-and-down performances. The main knock on Taylor is that he looks content to sit back and let the game happen around him, rather than taking ownership of his team and putting his stamp on the game. He does it at times but the Titans would be a lot better if he could motivate himself to stay switched on for 80 minutes. He should embrace the challenge of out-playing Johnson. It may or may not be good enough to get his team a win but at least it might get a few critics off his back.

For the Titans to win: Again the main factor here is what the Titans get out of Taylor. If he can weave some of the magic he's capable of and be a true leader, an upset isn't out of the question. The Titans also need a collectively strong performance from their forwards to try to take some of the sting out of the Warriors' big pack.

For the Warriors to win: The Warriors should have too much attacking potency in their spine, especially the irrepressible Isaac Luke. If Luke, Johnson and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck lead the way the Warriors will have too much pace out wide. They should also look to utilise their size and speed up front.

Titans Stat Attack: Fullback Michael Gordon may be in the twilight of his career but he still gives it his all each week, leading the entire league in support runs with 496 (well ahead of the second-placed Luke Keary's 432).

Warriors Stat Attack: The Warriors dominate this match-up, winning 14 of their past 15 games against the Gold Coast. They are unbeaten at Cbus Super Stadium since 2010. David Fusitu'a has scored seven tries in seven games against the Titans.

And another thing: Since joining the NRL in 1995 as the only non-Australian club, the Warriors have qualified for the finals seven times, capturing their only minor premiership in 2002 and playing in two grand finals ('02, '11). If they were to end up dropping out of the top eight it would be their longest finals drought (eight years) in club history. The Titans have been in the competition since 2007 and reached the playoffs three times.

Titans: Will Matthews replaces Leilani Latu on the bench in the only change.

Warriors: Blake Green returns at five-eighth for Mason Lino. Tohu Harris is back in the second row; Simon Mannering moves to lock with Adam Blair suspended. Sam Lisone replaces Tevita Satae on the bench.

Head-to-head: Played 23; Warriors 16 wins, Titans 7 wins
Previous result: Warriors won 20-8 at Mt Smart Stadium in round 2
Points per game: Titans 18.4; Warriors 18.9
Points conceded per game: Titans 25.1; Warriors 18.7
Televised: Live on Nine, Fox League

Petero Civoniceva's prediction: I think the Warriors win this one. They weren't too far off the mark against the Storm and they've got a lot to play for, so I see them competing strongly through to the end of the year. The other factor is that the Warriors have been one of the best teams on the road, even though they haven't been as successful at home. The Titans had a good lead last week against Newcastle and couldn't finish the job and I just don't see them winning this game given what's at stake for the Warriors.

Tip: Warriors by 8

DIEHARD
25-07-18, 01:25 PM
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2018/07/nrl-warriors-hooker-issac-luke-slams-nrl-over-referee-demotion/_jcr_content/par/image.dynimg.full.q75.jpg/v1532486576556/v2-Luke.jpg

DIEHARD
25-07-18, 02:20 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Relegated? 🤔 <a href="https://t.co/rbAwrp9bcU">pic.twitter.com/rbAwrp9bcU</a></p>&mdash; Vodafone Warriors (@NZWarriors) <a href="https://twitter.com/NZWarriors/status/1021683456248401920?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 24, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" ch****t="utf-8"></script>

Numbers
25-07-18, 04:47 PM
^^^^ really??? How can I not remember this. I believe you I’m just stunned I don’t recall it.

Does anyone else remember this?? Wonder how we can look up the history of games between us and them at Robina

PS would really appreciate someone posting evidence or a link to our last win at Robina against NZ if there ever was one.

Hey Bods, the “Rugby League Project” website is a good resource for finding out the answer to this sort of question. Here is a link to a page that has links to display our head-to-head record against other teams in the comp: http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/teams/gold-coast-titans/head2head.html

If you then click through to us versus the Warriors you can click on the 'add/change parameters' link if you want to then limit the list to games played at Robina: http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matches/Custom/NzQtLS0tLTE0OS0tLS0tLTEwLS1uLS0tLS0tLS0=

It doesn’t make for pretty reading; we’ve lost seven straight!

Mr Bods
25-07-18, 05:04 PM
Hey Bods, the “Rugby League Project” website is a good resource for finding out the answer to this sort of question. Here is a link to a page that has links to display our head-to-head record against other teams in the comp: http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/teams/gold-coast-titans/head2head.html

If you then click through to us versus the Warriors you can click on the 'add/change parameters' link if you want to then limit the list to games played at Robina: http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matches/Custom/NzQtLS0tLTE0OS0tLS0tLTEwLS1uLS0tLS0tLS0=

It doesn’t make for pretty reading; we’ve lost seven straight!

Thanks Numbers that’s awesome mate and it shows DB was right
Ever since the 2010 Semi they have totally owned us
I’d suggest like no other
A win over this mob would make me so happy

Dooldog76
26-07-18, 06:23 PM
Possibility that Harris and Luke could be out for the warriors. Gee I hope so.

JunctionBlock
27-07-18, 03:03 PM
Possibility that Harris and Luke could be out for the warriors. Gee I hope so.

Good news, neither of them travelled over to Oz. They're out.

Mr Bods
27-07-18, 03:53 PM
When we played The Drongoes, Easts and Newcastle in recent weeks they all had star players out too and look at how that worked out for us

Dooldog76
27-07-18, 05:49 PM
Good news, neither of them travelled over to Oz. They're out.

Good news indeed. Luke is a big out.

indoallstars
27-07-18, 07:08 PM
Not feeling confident about this game, I never do especially against Warriors (or Broncos). I

will be happy if AJ stays sharp defensively, if Atay doesn't do stupid unecessary things and whinges to the refs, Wallace doesn't give away unnecessary penalties, and Sami brings the ball back straight with speed.

JunctionBlock
28-07-18, 08:04 AM
Not feeling confident about this game, I never do especially against Warriors (or Broncos). I

will be happy if AJ stays sharp defensively, if Atay doesn't do stupid unecessary things and whinges to the refs, Wallace doesn't give away unnecessary penalties, and Sami brings the ball back straight with speed.

I think AJ may still have to pass a concussion protocol to line up. Expect Latu to take Matthews spot again. Courtesy of Wacko

Mr Bods
29-07-18, 09:47 AM
Still time for Gold Coast Titans half Ash Taylor to become one of game’s greats

ASH Taylor has vowed to keep working on his game as he comes to terms with the trolls who have attacked his form following a recent slump.

Taylor rejected the idea missing Origin selection had led to a slump but admitted his “personal performance hasn’t been great” as the Titans battle to finish the season with pride after missing the finals.

One of the rising stars of the competition, Taylor was being considered by the Maroons ahead of Origin III before coach Kevin Walters plumped for Daly Cherry Evans, who led Queensland to victory in his representative return.

GET A NEW SET OF HEADPHONES WITH YOUR DIGITAL SUBSCRIPTION

Ash Taylor of the Titans is tackled during the round 18 NRL match between the Gold Coast Titans and the Sydney Roosters at Cbus Super Stadium. Photo: Getty Images
His performances since then have not been up to his highest standard, with Taylor rating his effort in the 34-0 thrashing by the Broncos “probably the worst game of my career”.

But dealing with the vitriol of fans is something new for the 23-year-old.

“There’s some people that are out there just to hunt you down when you have your bad games,” Taylor said.

“You just wonder where they were when you were playing the great games — what they were thinking then.

“But I try not to get involved with that stuff.

“People have their opinion and that’s fine, that’s the nature of the game. It’s just being one of those guys, you know how it feels now, to string along some poor games and people are judging you on those games and forgetting about the rest of the season or the rest of your career.

“But I need to be better and I’m going to keep training hard.”

While Taylor has stepped up this season, with Gold Coast coach Garth Brennan demanding he run the team, he has just over 60 games to his credit in only his third full season in the NRL.

Ash Taylor is coming to terms with criticism after a recent slump. Photo: Getty Images
“People take it to heart when I don’t have the best performances and start picking and blaming but I’m only 60 games into my career, so hopefully I’ve got another 10 years in me and I’ll keep working and going on,” Taylor said.

At the same point in their careers, many of the game’s best halfbacks were only just starting to make their mark and Taylor has time up his sleeve.

Cooper Cronk had 148 NRL games under his belt before he made his Maroons debut off the bench with Darren Lockyer and Johnathan Thurston in front of him.

While Thurston made his Origin debut after just 39 games, Daly Cherry Evans — who was preferred to Taylor for Game Three this year — had played 69 times before winning a single Queensland cap in 2013 and was used only sparingly over the following few years until three years in the wilderness between 2015 and 2018.

Cooper Cronk had played almost 150 NRL games before he made his Origin debut in 2010.
While Mitchell Pearce made his debut after 30 games, he has admitted it was too early and he was not ready.

Taylor is determined not to get stuck in the same rut.

“I just need to get back in the mindframe of being happy playing footy,” he said.

Why is Taylor talking about the fans at all? If you are on a Million Dollars it’s fair enough that fans want leadership and improvement. I continue to be concerned about Taylor. Does he have it mentally to be a champion player??

DavidBouveng
29-07-18, 10:15 AM
Ash denies the origin non selection isnt related to his slump, after actually saying it was responsible for his bad game against Brisbane. ok den.

Titanic
29-07-18, 11:27 AM
Can he get fit is my question? Carrying too much to be dynamic.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 11:30 AM
http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/IMG_2339.jpg

http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/IMG_2340.jpg

http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/IMG_2341.jpg

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 11:32 AM
Warriors wary of Titans trip despite dominant record
https://www.stuff.co.nz/

David Fusitu'a scores a try during the Warriors' win over the Titans in March.

The Warriors have done a pretty good job of ignoring head-to-head records this season and they will have to do so for a different reason on Sunday.

Winning 14 of their last 15 meetings, including the last seven on the Gold Coast, there is no other team the Warriors have enjoyed more success against than the Titans.

It's a staggering figure, even taking into account that the Titans have spent almost as long out of the finals as the Warriors since 2012. The one year they did finish in the top eight, in 2016, the Warriors still won both games the teams played.

With the Warriors having so much to play for and the 12th-placed Titans out of the finals contention, this is a match the visitors are expected to win.

But it also shapes as a potential danger game if they turn up in "holiday mode", as captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck put it this week, or if they have one eye on next week's game against the Dragons.

Not that coach Stephen Kearney believes that will be an issue.

"We've done a pretty good job of that all year," Kearney said.

"From our point of view, what's happened in the past means nothing if you don't turn up on Sunday at two o'clock with the right attitude.

"They're a good footy team that probably hasn't had a great deal of luck.

"I think the last five games they averaged 20 points for and 21 against.

"They always put themselves in the contest. They've got some real football about them."

The Titans are rebuilding under first year coach Garth Brennan but their roster is much stronger than their 6-12 record suggests.

They have a particularly rugged forward pack, including Kiwis international Kevin Proctor, Queensland duo Jarrod Wallace and Jai Arrow and fringe NSW prop Ryan James. If they can produce enough front-foot ball, talented young halfback Ash Taylor is more than capable of putting on a show.

The loss of Issac Luke to a calf injury is also a big blow to the Warriors, who have struggled in his absence at times this season without his impact around the ruck. They are also missing senior forwards Tohu Harris (knee) and Adam Blair (suspension).

Jazz Tevaga has replaced Luke in the starting side and is expected to share the dummy-half role with Karl Lawton, who has been brought onto the bench.

On the plus side, the Auckland outfit is relishing the chance to return to Queensland for the second time in three weeks, with the temperature at kick-off forecast for 24 degrees.

They have produced some of their best performances in dry and fast conditions, including the recent win over the Broncos, which favours their expansive style.

But remaining patient in attack has been a major theme this week and halfback Shaun Johnson says it's important that they find the right balance with the football.

"When we've got good weather and good dry footy obviously we can promote the ball a bit more and play some second-phase footy," Johnson said. "I know other teams don't like it when we get in that mood so hopefully we get over there and earn the right first through hard running and then start playing some Warrior ball."

Meanwhile, three-game rookie Joseph Vuna is set to make the first start of his NRL career after Harris' return from a knee injury was put on hold.

Vuna has been called into the back-row with Leivaha Pulu, who has recently recovered from 14 weeks out with a broken foot, taking his place on the interchange.

Peta Hiku and Mason Lino are the two players left on the extended bench with Kearney to finalise his line-up one hour before kick-off.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 11:32 AM
Warriors focus on developing teenage second-rower Isaiah Papali'i
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/

A new focus on the Warriors' left-side attack has allowed teenage second-rower Isaiah Papali'i to prove there is much more to his game than just tackles and hit-ups.

The Warriors red-hot start to the season saw them direct much of their play down the star studded right edge featuring Shaun Johnson, Tohu Harris and try-scoring machine David Fusitu'a.

Ahead of today's clash against the Gold Coast Titans at Cbus Super Stadium, coach Stephen Kearney explained a recent change in emphasis has seen the left edge fed more ball to allow Papali'i's game to flourish in just his second season of first grade.

The 19-year-old has quickly earned a reputation as a tireless worker in defence and a strong ball-runner, but recent games against the Sharks and Broncos have showcased his ability to offload and spread the ball to create tries for his centre partner Solomone Kata.

"We looked at our attacking structure and the right-edge was getting a bit of air time and we weren't going to the left as often, so we needed to balance that out," said Kearney.

"In the last few weeks we've looked to do that and it's been a conscious work-on for us and Isaiah has got the capabilities.

"We've just got to keep reminding ourselves that he's still only 19 and we're trying to push stuff on him pretty quickly but it's all a really good part of his learning and development."

The Warriors have injury concerns with hooker Issac Luke (calf) and Harris (knee) both sidelined but Papali'i feels he is hitting his straps physically after overcoming a knee injury suffered in the round two win over the Titans.

The eighth-placed Warriors yesterday plugged the gaps with bench utility Jazz Tevaga promoted into the No 9 role and three-game rookie Joseph Vuna into the second-row, as they look to bounce back from last week's loss to Melbourne.

"I'm back to 100 per cent," said Papali'i.

"I don't take notice of it anymore which is definitely a good sign. It's been coming along really well and the rest of the body is holding up well.

"[I didn't come back injured] but wasn't 100 per cent. But all of that was part of the healing process so to feel back to 100 per cent is good."

Papali'i goes about his business with little fuss or fanfare and is yet to win the type of praise that Australian commentators like to direct towards his Titans opposite and fellow second-year rookie Keegan Hipgrave.

Kearney prefers his players go under the radar but says Papali'i's break-out season hasn't gone unnoticed by rival coaches, including Storm mentor Craig Bellamy.

"I do like it that way. But I was talking to [Bellamy] on the weekend and he mentioned Isaiah so he's not going under the radar for some.

"I made the point that we've got some young kids here and he said 'well there are some good ones' and Isaiah was the name that he mentioned.

"That's what I like about Ice, he just goes about his business and does it well.

"He's a good learner and I enjoy working with him. He's got a bright future with the club."

Mr Bods
29-07-18, 11:44 AM
Headed off now for the first time ever to a game where my coach has already offered up an excuse for losing when at his last presser he said “we are still a young team”.
Give a playing group an excuse and they will take it with both arms.
If we somehow win it will be as sweet as it gets because of their rude disgraceful fans. I’ll never forget the disrespect to David Mead and his Dad as long as I live.
New Zealanders are fantastic people, I love going there but this crew that support NZ and live in SE QLD-massive thumbs down.

See u on the flip side brothers and sisters of the Beautiful Little City

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 11:55 AM
Sorry to hear about this incident you speak about. Meady was always one of my favourite Titans.

But for me I find Warriors fans to be good but that always helps when they have the wood on us. The true test is how fans conduct themselves after a loss. (Gee many Broncos fans were poor winners a few weeks ago)

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 11:56 AM
Pulu set to answer SOS call from Warriors
https://www.nrl.com/

Leivaha Pulu can't wait to return to lock horns with his former Titans team-mates as he answers an urgent call of duty from the New Zealand Warriors following 14 weeks on the sidelines that he says was both a blessing and "torture".

The 28-year-old back-rower was initially named on the Warriors' extended bench for the round 20 clash at Cbus Stadium but with Adam Blair suspended and Tohu Harris (knee) ruled out along with hooker Issac Luke (calf), the visitors are suddenly short of go-forward muscle.

Those notable absences should open the door for Pulu on the interchange bench, with Bunty Afoa set to start in Harris's absence.

Last week Pulu made his comeback from a serious foot injury with a 60-minute effort in the Warriors' Intrust Super Premiership loss to Wyong, another of the Tongan international's former sides.

Showing glimpses of the tearaway form that helped the Warriors start the 2018 season with five straight wins, he had 10 runs for 76 metres and made 26 tackles without a miss.

Pulu said it was tough to sit on the sidelines for 12 rounds.

"Just when the brothers go to war, not being part of it," he said.

"It's easy being part of the good times but, say we had a loss, you want to help out in every possible way. And plus learning to walk again. I was in the cast for about two to three weeks and yeah, it was torture."

Fortunately, Pulu had his faith to keep in strong.

"I've been blessed," he said.

"Through my faith and through my walk, you know everyone goes through their seasons and I believe my season [the recovery from injury] that I went through was ploughing season and that was the time where I had to work the hardest, and I believe I've put myself in a good situation right now, being in the pecking order of the 17.

"I had time away with my family, my body was well rested and [now] it's the later part of the season, I believe it's time to really step it up and do my bit for the team.

"I give all my glory to the man above just for the stability in my walk and just to be amongst the boys. I love it, I love being here, I love being around the boys, it's a good bunch of boys, it's just awesome."

Pulu made his NRL debut for the Titans against the Newcastle Knights in round one of the 2016 premiership and went on to make 45 of a possible 49 appearances for the Gold Coast before joining the Warriors this season.

He started for the Warriors where he left off for the Titans, appearing in each of the Auckland-based club's five straight wins to start the season and scoring a try in a 30-6 thrashing of the Roosters in round four.

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney loves Pulu's aggressive edge but the player himself knows he has to keep an even keel.

"At the end of the day I think I've just got to come in and do my part," he said.

"I don't want to be too aggressive and leave a big hole in the defence line. So if I can come on and bring energy wherever I can, even if it means in a recovery session or warm-up or whatever, just to get the boys buzzing.

"The boys have done really well. They've played some really amazing footy but it's upwards and onwards from here."

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 11:57 AM
Geezus, Warriors have won 14 of their last 15 against us.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 12:03 PM
LATE MAIL: Titans v Warriors
https://www.titans.com.au/

Coach Garth Brennan has confirmed his side for the match against the New Zealand Warriors at Cbus Super Stadium.

The side is as follows:

1. Michael Gordon
2. Anthony Don
3. Konrad Hurrell
4. Brenko Lee
5. Phillip Sami
6. AJ Brimson
7. Ash Taylor
8. Jarrod Wallace
9. Nathan Peats
10. Ryan James ©
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Keegan Hipgrave
13. Jai Arrow

14. Mitch Rein
15. Moeaki Fotuaika
16. Jack Stockwell
17. Will Matthews

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 12:06 PM
I'm tipping us to win today. I'm confident.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 12:12 PM
Warriors: The Warriors lost Issac Luke and Tohu Harris, with Jazz Tevaga (hooker) and Joseph Vuna (second row) coming into the starting side. Karl Lawton & Leivaha Pulu join the interchange.

Bayside Titan
29-07-18, 12:23 PM
Man there should be a huge crowd here today. It’s a cracker of a day here.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 12:26 PM
Man there should be a huge crowd here today. It’s a cracker of a day here.

Great to hear. Unfortunately even though I got a season pass, I can't make it. (Wedding planning)

But this combined with the cheaper ticket deals will hopefully bring in some more people.

If we can turn around our terrible record against the NZ Warriors recently, we can build this into one of the event games we need to anchor us down on the coast and boost our averages.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 01:11 PM
Good pressure. AJ’s kick ingoal ensures we get the ball back. Hopefully we can convert these opportunities.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 01:14 PM
YOU BEAUTY. WOW.

I thought we were sunk in the Hipgrave obstruction.

Hurrell gets his try against his old club. Woo.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 01:19 PM
Piss weak effort to keep Johnson out, jersey grabs. Scored at will there. Was looking good before that lapse.

Mr Bods
29-07-18, 01:34 PM
Where’s JWall gone
He’s not sitting on the bench

Ronny
29-07-18, 01:35 PM
Where’s JWall gone
He’s not sitting on the bench

subbed out for now!

Should have kept the pressure on and tapped. 2 points! F*&^k me! then he misses!

Mr Bods
29-07-18, 01:36 PM
All good I see him now

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 01:37 PM
Excellent set by Titans. Great run by Sami. Can’t believe we didn’t go for the try and we came up empty after Gordon missed. Put em to the sword.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 01:40 PM
We should be burying the Warriors here not going for goal. At least this time Gordon was successful. 8-6. Hopefully we can bank some tries soon cause we will need them to beat the Warriors.

gotitans101_
29-07-18, 01:41 PM
Keegan Hipgrave you absolute dope.

Ronny
29-07-18, 01:42 PM
Warriors look gassed already! Hopefully more tries to follow

Was that Hipgrave giving that penalty away?

gotitans101_
29-07-18, 01:43 PM
Warriors look gassed already! Hopefully more tries to follow

Was that Hipgrave giving that penalty away?

yes, it's about all he's good for.

Ronny
29-07-18, 01:44 PM
That was far too easy there, Hipgrave again?

gotitans101_
29-07-18, 01:45 PM
That was far too easy there, Hipgrave again?

yep, straight over the top of him.

A real questionable signing imo

Barrels
29-07-18, 01:48 PM
our defence is dreadful. thats 3 forwards that cant stop an 80kg hooker. Its ridiculous

Mr Bods
29-07-18, 01:53 PM
As a lifetime fan of Sir Greg Bird could Hipgrave please not ever EVER be compared to Birdy again
What an insult to a skilful and reliable footballer who played at the very highest levels

Ronny
29-07-18, 01:59 PM
Gee that Lawnton defence was utter garbage!

IF we aren't careful, based on the last 5-10 mins, Johnson is going to carve us up in the second half.

I don't think Hipgrave has done anything anywhere near useful so far

Mr Bods
29-07-18, 02:01 PM
Gee Lawton has been more than useful
I have an idea let’s get rid of a young local junior passionate for the club that can play multiple positions and bring in a recycled hooker from elsewhere that’s a one trick pony

Whats Doing
29-07-18, 02:03 PM
Our tackle wrestle is abysmal as ever. Lawton’s came directly from failing to control the tackle. Titans were supposed to do a lot of defence this week. Well that has been a waste

GCTTSD
29-07-18, 02:06 PM
We should've never taken the two, had the warriors on the back foot and let them back in the game

gotitans101_
29-07-18, 02:07 PM
We should've never taken the two, had the warriors on the back foot and let them back in the game

Yes, but we are a dumb team so I'm not surprised by those decisions.

Ronny
29-07-18, 02:14 PM
BOOM!!!!!!

Mr Bods
29-07-18, 02:16 PM
Peats looks absolutely disgusted about being replaced

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 02:16 PM
Let’s keep it up Titans. We need this win.

Mr Bods
29-07-18, 02:19 PM
There’s the Million Dollar halfback with a game changing error

BundyTitan
29-07-18, 02:20 PM
BRIMSON. This kid is absolutely brilliant

gotitans101_
29-07-18, 02:21 PM
holy ****.....AJ...take a bow.

Mr Bods
29-07-18, 02:26 PM
Heart attack stuff AJ not giving it to Gordon then

Ronny
29-07-18, 02:26 PM
And another one for AJ. Great try!

JunctionBlock
29-07-18, 02:27 PM
Just got home. had to watch the first half on the phone. Looking pretty good out there. Remembering how to score some tries. Brimson a real talent.

BundyTitan
29-07-18, 02:27 PM
Stand and applaud AJ!!! What a bloody beauty of a try (almost butchered it though :laugh:)

I still think he’s a 5/8 long term. Building with every game and has been absolutely superb there.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 02:28 PM
holy ****.....AJ...take a bow.

AJ is mercurial. Nearly bombed that one by not passing but he juggled and retained. Been our best today.

Barrels
29-07-18, 02:29 PM
i was just about to comment about rein before that happened but seriously rein can have some great awareness out of dummy half. he tore newcastle up a few times last week and he only suffers major setbacks that the rest of the team does

- - - Updated - - -

also ajs defence has been overly impressive so far

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 02:30 PM
15,149 crowd at today's game.

Ronny
29-07-18, 02:31 PM
haha big Koni trying to get off the ground. At least he is trying and putting pressure on the catcher and not waiting!

gotitans101_
29-07-18, 02:34 PM
Hipgrave is a disgrace.

BundyTitan
29-07-18, 02:35 PM
Surely we re-sign the Don. I mean seriously are we going to lose him over 60k?

DIEHARD
Don has also been very good for us.

JunctionBlock
Sami with a step we've been waiting to see. Yew

DIEHARD
Surely we re-sign the Don. I mean seriously are we going to lose him over 60k?

We should sign Don. It would be an investment in club culture. The fans want it.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 02:36 PM
And Sami bags a try adding to his strong game. On ya mate!

Ronny
29-07-18, 02:36 PM
Great step from Sami

yes, The don needs to be resigned. Maybe Hipgrave can give some of his money back?

Mr Bods
29-07-18, 02:37 PM
Boys need to dig in here
NZ can pile on points if they get a sniff

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 02:38 PM
What. A. Step.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">What a step!<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NRLTitansWarriors?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NRLTitansWarriors</a> 32-12 with 12 minutes remaining. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TelstraPremiership?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TelstraPremiership</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NRL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NRL</a> <a href="https://t.co/d8ar5yFcoG">pic.twitter.com/d8ar5yFcoG</a></p>&mdash; NRL (@NRL) <a href="https://twitter.com/NRL/status/1023442408774615040?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 29, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" ch****t="utf-8"></script>

Ronny
29-07-18, 02:39 PM
Boys need to dig in here
NZ can pile on points if they get a sniff

Warriors can score but I don't see them getting 20 in 11 mins.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 02:41 PM
Warriors can score but I don't see them getting 20 in 11 mins.

Yea hopefully we can bag some more. This is healing to my soul.

Mr Bods
29-07-18, 02:43 PM
Yes
Put the boot in now for Meady and his Dad
Good times

BundyTitan
29-07-18, 02:44 PM
Actually seeing us attacking and being good with the footy is weird. Just wish we could keep this up all year.

Brimson best on park today for mine.

Ronny
29-07-18, 02:46 PM
Lets go for another one in the last 5 mins.

Brimson and Sami for me. Taylor gone missing again

DIEHARD
Sami score another try. Are we near record margins for us?

I think 42 is our biggest winning score against the Eels. (42-4: Round 11, 2013)

JunctionBlock
We really are a confidence based team aren't we?

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 02:47 PM
Knock on Warriors!

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 02:48 PM
Write up Koni for a good game too.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 02:49 PM
Vossy "And the Giants, Seagulls, Chargers, Titans...."

I approve. Especially when Corey Parker says "Just Chargers" :D

Ronny
29-07-18, 02:52 PM
This score hasn't helped the warriors for and against on the ladder

JunctionBlock
29-07-18, 02:52 PM
Great win. Didn't see it coming to be honest. Gotta give a wrap to rein too.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 02:54 PM
Gotta give a wrap to rein too.

True. He had a hand in many things, including the Brimson try with the offload to Gordon.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 02:55 PM
This score hasn't helped the warriors for and against on the ladder

How good is it to hear the commentators talk us up saying "Which other big scalps will the Titans take in the run home?"

Mr Bods
29-07-18, 03:01 PM
Happy to eat my words today on Rein
Good times
Enjoy a win guys and gals

- - - Updated - - -

What our club does post win needs massive improvements
The Western Members side are basically totally brushed

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 03:09 PM
Titans notch their biggest ever win over Warriors
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/29/gold-coast-titans-notch-their-biggest-ever-win-over-the-warriors/

A five-minute blitz from Brenko Lee paved the way for the Gold Coast Titans to score a 36-12 win over the New Zealand Warriors at Cbus Super Stadium on Sunday.

After Warriors halfback Shaun Johnson turned in a brilliant display in the first 40 minutes, Lee gave his side control of the match after the break.

The centre, who signed a one-year contract extension in the days preceding the Warriors clash, broke through the Warriors defence to send Anthony Don over for a try in the 42nd minute before doing it all himself with an intercept try four minutes later.

Those tries set the stage for the Titans to score their seventh win of the season.

A 65th-minute try scored by Phillip Sami featured him stepping his way past Warriors fullback Roger Tuivasa-Scheck. Sami later added a second try for the day.

After the Titans opened the scoring with a Konrad Hurrell try in the sixth minute, Johnson brilliantly stepped his way past both Keegan Hipgrave and Ryan James to score his side's first try in the 11th minute.

That solo display lifted the visitors and set them on the way to a 12-8 half-time lead. The lead would have been bigger if not for a forward pass ruling taking the gloss of what would have been a great Warriors try.

Johnson was heavily involved again, but the final pass from Solomone Kata to Ken Maumalo could have been better directed.

Dooldog76
29-07-18, 03:23 PM
Happy to eat my words today on Rein
Good times
Enjoy a win guys and gals

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE

What our club does post win needs massive improvements
The Western Members side are basically totally brushed

Totally agree bodsy, however we are in the eastern stand and unless you are in the legion, you get nothing.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 03:27 PM
Totally agree bodsy, however we are in the eastern stand and unless you are in the legion, you get nothing.

The club needs to sort it out so it is as fair and equitable as possible. All members are equal in my view of the world.

Anyway... celebrating.... :banana:

NZFan
29-07-18, 03:27 PM
Rein did have a hand in a few things but he still stifles our attack at times by overplaying his hand. I thought he had a very even game with Lawton. The Warriors were looking very tired when he came on though so he did bring some impact.

That Sami sidestep! Wow!

Ash just doesn't look happy out there and his decision making seems to be getting worse every week. Thankfully we have Brimson who likes like he's going to be superstar.

Both Koni and Lee were very good defensively too.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 03:29 PM
Titans thrash Warriors, young gun stars
http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

THE Titans have given a glimpse into their future, with AJ Brimson leading them to their first home win against New Zealand in seven years.

The Titans scored 28 unanswered points in the second half to beat the Warriors 36-12 with Brimson outstanding in an allround display of skill and grit.

The 19-year-old had already shown himself to be an NRL-calibre half but in just his 10th game in the top grade, Brimson sealed his reputation as a matchwinner, orchestrating the Titans’ second-half comeback.

Coach Garth Brennan has been asking his five-eighth to step up and take some pressure off the beleaguered Ash Taylor.

And Brimson responded magnificently in front of a crowd of 15,149, with an allround performance that marks him as one of the rising stars of the league.

While he scored a try in the second-half rout, it was Brimson’s game management and defence that was most impressive.

Four tackle breaks, two line breaks, two line break assists and a try assist show how involved Brimson was in a game the Warriors were desperate to win to keep their finals hopes alive.

And after former Titan Karl Lawton scored in the shadows of halftime to give New Zealand a 12-8 lead at the break, it seemed as though their dominance on the Gold Coast would continue.

Lawton came into the match having scored two tries for the Warriors this season but neither was as sweet as when he crossed against his old side.

A Palm Beach Currumbin product, Lawton was praised as the future of the club when he re-signed last year but he was jettisoned by the Gold Coast not long after they signed Mitch Rein.

But in promising signs for the Titans’ future, generation next stepped up in the second half to lead them to a win.

The newly re-signed Brenko Lee made his mark early in the second half as the Titans charged back into the game, setting up a try for Anthony Don and scoring himself from an intercept to hand the lead back to the home side.

The tries continued to rain for the Titans, with Brimson and Phillip Sami scoring as the future of the club stood up.

Sami notched his double with an audacious step around Tuivasa-Sheck, with the Titans leaving the Warriors finals hopes on life support.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 03:30 PM
'He got me' - Tuivasa-Sheck bamboozled by Titans youngster's savage 'ankle-breaker' step in big loss
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/

The New Zealand Warriors have missed a chance to nail down an NRL finals spot as Gold Coast ran away 36-12 winners at home.

The Titans turned it on in a five-try second half on Sunday afternoon to get one back against a Warriors side that had won their past seven games at Cbus Super Stadium.

It may have come too late to save their own season but the Titans' razzle-dazzle has at least given the Wests Tigers hope.

The result left the ninth-placed side just two wins adrift of the Warriors, who missed a golden chance to consolidate their first finals appearance since 2011 against a team they'd beaten in 14 of their past 15 contests.

Their dominance looked set to continue when the visitors turned the momentum to lead 12-8 at halftime, only for the Titans to produce some of their finest football under first-year coach Garth Brennan.

First, a Brenko Lee linebreak put Anthony Don over before the centre juggled a sharp intercept to jag one for himself.

When AJ Brimson backed up Mitch Rein's dart from dummy-half it was 26-12 and the Warriors looked out on their feet.

Winger Phillip Sami then capped a fine game with a wicked step on Roger Tuivasa- Sheck for the first of his two late tries.

"He got me," Tuivasa-Sheck admitted about the Sami step after the match.

The Titans survived a video review for obstruction as Konrad Hurrell opened the game with his first try since round one.

But they spilled the ball from the returning set and Shaun Johnson made the most of it, dancing through two would-be tackles to score almost untouched.

Gold Coast then ran 95m in three tackles but curiously opted to take the two points when awarded a penalty.

Michael Gordon missed the kick but made amends when put in the same situation moments later.

That put them ahead by two but also allowed the tiring Warriors to turn the momentum.

A reply eventually came through former Titan Karl Lawton after the Warriors were piggybacked by a needless penalty late in the previous set.

Jarrod Wallace's availability next week could be the only concern for the Titans after the Queensland forward's role in a tackle that sent James Gavet from the ground.

Whats Doing
29-07-18, 03:33 PM
He might not have been best on field but Rein changed the game when he came on with his running. Great game

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 03:36 PM
Match highlights https://www.titans.com.au/news/2018/07/29/match-highlights/?camefrom=EMCL_2412825_107277889

C-Whiz
29-07-18, 04:07 PM
I was at the game on our attackng 20m line, and I can say Brenko Lee looked like the biggest bludger out there in the first 40 minutes. He was slow and lazy, seemed totally disinterested. I'm guessing he copped a blast (or I totally misread his effort) at half time because he was the best on field for the second half IMO.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 05:35 PM
Young guns Sami, Brimson suggest Titans' future is bright
https://www.nrl.com/

Gold Coast Titans winger Phillip Sami – the man who did an RTS on the Warriors' RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) to score a stunning try on Sunday – admits he and Titans teenagers AJ Brimson and Moeaki Fotuaika still pinch themselves that they are playing in the NRL together.

The performance of the three in their side's 36-12 win showed what the Titans may be set to reap out of a frustrating and often heartbreaking 2018 season.

Sami, who turns 21 this Thursday, is the oldest of the trio with Brimson turning 20 in September and Fotuaika 19 in November.

Sami and Brimson had their best performances of the season against the Warriors while front-rower Fotuaika continues to amaze with his maturity and consistency as the youngest prop in the NRL.

In only the second time Sami has been put into the clear this season, after he latched onto a pass from Michael Gordon off a Ryan James offload.

He came to Tuivasa-Sheck and stepped from his left foot then right, at full speed, to leave the Warriors skipper in a tangle, almost tripping over himself.

"I surprised myself to be honest," said Sami, who has missed only one match this season, through injury, after debuting last year at 19 (and playing four games in 2017).

"He's the one doing it to everyone else, so do it to him was a bit incredible.

"My plan was to go right and make him commit then step left. I'm lucky enough it worked.

"That was pretty much the first time I was given a lot of space this year and to come to a fullback like that.

"I would love to have more opportunity to do something like that but I am just happy to be playing NRL and trying to improve.

"AJ, Mo and I often look at ourselves and say how strange it feels to all be in the NRL together this year after playing 20s last year. But we also talk about being consistent week in week out and earning our place in the team and I think we are doing that."

Brimson was brilliant for the Titans, scoring a try, and playing a hand in two others while also kicking smartly and coming up with some first-class defence near his line.

"I thought AJ stepped up; he feels more comfortable in his skin, like he belongs [in the team]," Titans coach Garth Brennan said of his performance.

"He is starting to really feel a part of it and has taken that role away from Ash [Taylor] a little bit which I have been asking from some of the players to do.

"I have been saying all year how exciting it is where this club is heading. We have some super kids coming through and some experience guys around then.

"You look around the side and Phil Sami is young, Ash is young, AJ is young, Jai Arrow is young, Mo Fotuaika is only 18 and to be doing what he is doing at 18 is enormous.

"They will be better for the experience and hopefully some of the older guys will be better."

Add 21-year-old firebrand forward Keegan Hipgrave, who was more subdued and controlled against the Warriors than what he had been in recent weeks, Max King (21), Jai Whitbread (20) and Morgan Boyle (22) and Titans certainly have a pack with their best days ahead.

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 07:17 PM
Do yourself a favour and pour a glass of your favourite and enjoy this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hMUzEa3OIBo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DavidBouveng
29-07-18, 07:54 PM
After about 6 weeks of effort based play and not much else, Aj has increased his involvement handily every week ovr the last few, to the point he has been more integral to our performances then Ash the last 2 games. It was when AJ left with concussion that we fell in a heap against knights.

His energy and fitness are top level, his passing and kicking confidence is increasing each week as is his general confidence as seen by his decision to dummy the FB and go alone. no way he does that 1 month ago.

I think for all the doom and gloom - we need to give Garth credit for bringing him along nicely this year.

all the backs were outstanding from numbers 1-6, and Ash was reasonable.

Special mention to Sami gave the follow up break out effort we've been waiting for since broncs earlier in season. even prior to consigning RTS to the ankle store, he was playing really well and was often in the middle doing work. good on him.

Peats was tough as nuts and made lots of great tackles and solid hit, and Rein along with Brenko was the game changer and momentum swinger. He was awesome and is regularly making darts in behind enemy lines. If any of the bench hookers are 1 trick ponies - it is Lawton who only seems good for a dummy half scoot and score. its a good trick, but the occasional dive over does not a hooker make. I am more than comfortable with Rein over Lawton.

all the forwards were decent. Proctor had a lot of strong runs in first 20 or so, was waiting for him and ash to do the short ball wrap play that they do similar to JT / Cooper and Slater / Kefusi. it never came for some reason.

I am worried about Arrow. If he isn't right, and last 2 weeks indicate he isn't quite as he is coming off a lot more often then rest him and get his body right.

awesome crowd, beautiful day, and maybe a glimpse that the future isn't as bad as we feared, and might creep up on us sooner than we thought.

Mr Bods
29-07-18, 08:06 PM
^^^ I did say after the game that I’m happy to eat my words over Rein DB
No need to rub it in

It’s very easy to wait until 5hours after Fulltime to come waltzing in as the grand poo bah full of wisdom

And Brimson is a 1
His best work is classic sweeping number 1 type involvements

DavidBouveng
29-07-18, 08:15 PM
^^^ I did say after the game that I’m happy to eat my words over Rein DB
No need to rub it in

It’s very easy to wait until 5hours after Fulltime to come waltzing in as the grand poo bah full of wisdom

And Brimson is a 1
His best work is classic sweeping number 1 type involvements

said it 10 days ago, and at least a few other occasions, so i'm not coming in here as captain hindsight.

I am not saying i disagree about AJ, but i am not convinced yet that he wont be a 5/8th long term.
I like when he runs direct, keeps us straight and then that allows the outside guys to have space and hit holes. his tenacious running means you have to commit as a defender.
He has played a lot more 5/8th than fullback in his career speaking to people who watch him a lot.... and bigger thing is, even if he was intended to be a fullback, if his performance indicate he can be a really good 5/8th or that is what is best for the team... shouldnt we be flexible enough to work through that.
Some of his most important contributions are his defence. he stopped two big guys today from scoring almost in a row. do we want to give that up and let him make 1 or 2 tackles a game? and insert Carty, Tyrone, Peachey etc, none of whom will be as strong a defender. we finally fixed that issue, we want to undo it already?

Can a mod please change my title to 'Grand Pooh-Bar of Wisdom', if only to annoy Darren for a little while, then change it back

Mr Bods
29-07-18, 08:27 PM
^^^ There’s no doubt Howie Cunningham that you’ve been consistent in your preference of Rein over Lawton
You were of that opinion when Lawton got rissoled. 100% give you that. Rein as a 17 remains a concern though if there’s an injury in the backline and a reshuffle is needed.

I think Peachey footy that got him a Blues jumper was very much on the back of his 5/8 performances when Cleary was injured.
So a 1679 Of AJ/Peach/Taylor/Peats excites me for next year.

Peachey as a centre to me is a waste of a truly dynamic X Factor player

Cartwright is the piece that I can’t figure out even if he hits form and is on his game again one day.

DavidBouveng
29-07-18, 08:32 PM
^^^ There’s no doubt Howie Cunningham that you’ve been consistent in your preference of Rein over Lawton
You were of that opinion when Lawton got rissoled. 100% give you that. Rein as a 17 remains a concern though if there’s an injury in the backline and a reshuffle is needed.

I think Peachey footy that got him a Blues jumper was very much on the back of his 5/8 performances when Cleary was injured.
So a 1679 Of AJ/Peach/Taylor/Peats excites me for next year.

Peachey as a centre to me is a waste of a truly dynamic X Factor player

Cartwright is the piece that I can’t figure out even if he hits form and is on his game again one day.

yeah i agree Peach plays well at 5/8, but i cant see Gordon getting shafted to the wing, he would be leading our player of the year probably or close to it.

So maybe Peach wears 14 for a year, and Rein only plays when Peats is injured, although the courier mail article you commented on earlier suggests Rein deserves Peats spot even.

i have no idea how Garth will sort out his spots next year, there is a lot of moving parts to consider.

Carty for me - if he EVER plays again slots into that 12 jersey unless we get Glenn or a genuine 12. Hipgrave is still a liability for mine.

Mr Bods
29-07-18, 08:36 PM
yeah i agree Peach plays well at 5/8, but i cant see Gordon getting shafted to the wing, he would be leading our player of the year probably or close to it.

So maybe Peach wears 14 for a year, and Rein only plays when Peats is injured, although the courier mail article you commented on earlier suggests Rein deserves Peats spot even.

i have no idea how Garth will sort out his spots next year, there is a lot of moving parts to consider.

Carty for me - if he EVER plays again slots into that 12 jersey unless we get Glenn or a genuine 12. Hipgrave is still a liability for mine.

Good repartee then DB.
Where in the world is Mexican Titan???
Has he gone underground since Manly’s Epic snatch defeat from the jaws of victory Effort yesterday???

Titanic
29-07-18, 09:25 PM
After the hollow weeks previous I am pleased that we are on the plus side of the scoreboard but I’m not getting carried away. Nor am I going to enter the sizzling debates over who performed better this week, especially after struggling through p5 of this thread. I am very pleased we won... onwards and upwards!!

DIEHARD
29-07-18, 09:34 PM
Titans v Warriors: Five things we learned
Travis Meyn, The Courier-Mail
https://www.couriermail.com.au/

1. TITANS five-eighth AJ Brimson is one of the NRL’s hottest young playmakers. Brimson has been a success story for the Gold Coast in a disappointing season and showcased his talent with a brilliant solo effort in just his 10th NRL game.

2. BACK-UP Gold Coast hooker Mitch Rein should be the Titans’ starting No. 9. Rein has played all 19 games for the Titans this year and has outperformed Nathan Peats despite being paid about $400,000 less. He deserves to start.

3. THE Warriors are the NRL’s greatest disappointments. New Zealand could have cemented eighth place and a finals berth by beating the Titans but imploded after leading 12-8 at half-time in what was a typical Warriors performance.

4. TITANS winger Phillip Sami has some of the sharpest feet in the game. Sami’s “ankle-breaking” step on Warriors fullback Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was brilliant to watch, especially considering RTS is one of the NRL’s best steppers.

5. THE Titans will be sweating on the availability of captain Ryan James and prop Jarrod Wallace following a suspected “crusher tackle” on Warriors prop James Gavet. The incident looked innocuous but the NRL is keen to stamp those tackles out.

Barrels
29-07-18, 09:53 PM
Summed up everything perfectly DB. We need to keep building on this confidence and that was something garth bought up in the presser. Imagine if we get cartwright back into some form we could be flying, just hope it isnt that big an ask

DavidBouveng
29-07-18, 09:56 PM
Summed up everything perfectly DB. We need to keep building on this confidence and that was something garth bought up in the presser. Imagine if we get cartwright back into some form we could be flying, just hope it isnt that big an ask

glass half full says that adding an in form Carty, Big Boppin' Boydy and the Peach could have us fairly flying if Brenko, Sami, AJ, etc keep this up and continue to find form.

Dare we dream?

Upthetits
30-07-18, 06:26 AM
If only we didn't get robbed in the rabbits and roosters games. Going to be an exciting year next year. More than happy if we finish 12th or above this season.

JunctionBlock
30-07-18, 06:37 AM
I'm happy with Peachey in the centres. He is still dynamic and unpredictable out there. I wouldn't want to be the winger on his outside as you won't see much ball. Rein as 14 is still good as our utility is on the field that can cover numerous positions. This is why I think we are in the position of pushing Don out as he isn't as "needed" as previous years.

If the competition of having AJ getting the lime light doesn't entice Taylor into some form then I think he's just getting fat (literally too) off his massive pay day and isn't buying into any culture. We know he has the talent but now he needs to earn his pay packet.

Great win, great buzz on the coast because of it and finally hearing some positive comments on the radio regarding our performance.

DavidBouveng
30-07-18, 06:41 AM
I'm happy with Peachey in the centres. He is still dynamic and unpredictable out there. I wouldn't want to be the winger on his outside as you won't see much ball. Rein as 14 is still good as our utility is on the field that can cover numerous positions. This is why I think we are in the position of pushing Don out as he isn't as "needed" as previous years.

If the competition of having AJ getting the lime light doesn't entice Taylor into some form then I think he's just getting fat (literally too) off his massive pay day and isn't buying into any culture. We know he has the talent but now he needs to earn his pay packet.

Great win, great buzz on the coast because of it and finally hearing some positive comments on the radio regarding our performance.

i think we can add you JB to our list of gold Coast Talents coming into form.

last week or two has been fire. Are you and Garth putting in extras after training?

JunctionBlock
30-07-18, 10:13 AM
i think we can add you JB to our list of gold Coast Talents coming into form.

last week or two has been fire. Are you and Garth putting in extras after training?

I think I just forget to breath sometimes, but thank you.

DIEHARD
30-07-18, 11:13 AM
I thought I would share the front of the GC Bulletin's sports page.

http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/29.1.jpg

DIEHARD
30-07-18, 11:13 AM
Gold Coast Titans’ young guns put finals on agenda for 2019
https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

GARTH Brennan’s assertion the Titans are on the road to a strong future gained its biggest tick of approval yesterday as generation next led the Gold Coast to a drought-breaking win against New Zealand.

Five-eighth AJ Brennan, three-quarters Brenko Lee and Phillip Sami and forwards Keegan Hipgrave and Moeaki Fotuaika were instrumental in the win, with Brennan optimistic about the club’s future next season.

“It’s exciting where this club’s heading, we’ve got some super kids coming through and we’ve got some really good experienced guys around them that are helping them,” Brennan said.

“You go through our side — Phil Sami’s young, AJ’s young, Ash is young, Jai Arrow’s young, Moe Fotuaika’s only 18 and doing what he’s doing as a front-rower in the NRL is enormous.

“There’s a massive upside for the Titans.

“We’ve had some heartbreaking times this year and we’ve had some performances that haven’t been where they need to be but I know we’re heading in the right direction.”

One of the features for the Titans is the “experienced” players Brennan talks of are all relatively young as well.

Aside from fullback Michael Gordon, who turns 35 at the end of the season, entrenched Titans players Ryan James, Jarrod Wallace, Nathan Peats and Kevin Proctor are in their late 20s and at the peak of their powers.

Blooding players like Brimson and Fotuaika this season as Sami, Hipgrave and Arrow build on their NRL experience puts the Titans in the box seat for 2019 when the heat will be on Brennan to produce a top-eight result in his second year as head coach.

“I know (the experience they get) this year is going to be great for them going forward,” Brennan said.

“Those guys will be better for the experience, those younger guys, and hopefully some of our senior guys will develop into the leaders that we need them to be.”

DIEHARD
30-07-18, 11:20 AM
TOP FIVE TITANS
https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

AJ BRIMSON

Outstanding in defence again. Scored a try and looked dangerous every time he ran to the line. Made two huge tackles on Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to stop tries. His best game so far in first grade.

BRENKO LEE

In just 10 minutes after halftime, showed why the Titans have given him another year at the club. In setting up a try for Anthony Don and scoring himself through an intercept, Lee almost singlehandedly turned the tide.

RYAN JAMES

While he posted 116m and 23 tackles, James has had better games statistically this season. But few have been as important. The captain led by example, with his offload to set up Phillip Sami’s first try outstanding. Has maintained an incredible standard to be rated one of the league’s best 80-minute forwards.

PHILLIP SAMI

A two-try effort left him equal with Anthony Don on 11 as the club’s leading try-scorers this season. But it’s not just his ability to finish that is impressing, with the 20-yearold displaying greater confidence and a step and speed that will keep him in the Titans team for years to come.

KEEGAN HIPGRAVE

Caught backpeddling at marker as Karl Lawton charged over for a try that put the Warriors back in the lead but that was one of the few mistakes Hipgrave made as he cemented his position as the aggressive force the Titans need. Finished with 117m and 28 tackles to join a celebration of the team’s young guns.

JunctionBlock
30-07-18, 11:46 AM
Poor old Rein missed out on a shout out.