DIEHARD
15-07-18, 07:13 PM
KNIGHTS vs TITANS
SATURDAY 21ST JULY
McDonald Jones Stadium

DIEHARD
15-07-18, 07:42 PM
SOS LG?

I haven't been able to see much of him in QCUP.

Do we recall him for another crack or consider him on the way out and persist?

I think he has done his penance and deserves another shot.

Brimson 1, LG 6, Gordon 5?

DIEHARD
15-07-18, 07:47 PM
I actually think AJ's performance will keep LG out of the side. Brennan won't reshuffle.

DavidBouveng
15-07-18, 08:06 PM
I actually think AJ's performance will keep LG out of the side. Brennan won't reshuffle.

yeah Ash is the one who needs time to regroup.

We should note - we have only scored 2 tries in two games AT HOME against origin affected teams and BOTH tries were Props scoring from another prop passing! what the hell back line -take some pride and score some mother fing tries!

DIEHARD
15-07-18, 08:10 PM
We should note - we have only scored 2 tries in two games AT HOME against origin affected teams and BOTH tries were Props scoring from another prop passing! what the hell back line -take some pride and score some mother fing tries!

Excellent observation.

JunctionBlock
16-07-18, 05:27 AM
Hurrell should be getting ready for 100% of the traffic coming his way in this game.

Mr Bods
16-07-18, 06:07 AM
We are playing Newcastle away not the Warriors at home

Menoitios
16-07-18, 06:48 AM
I don't see the sense in moving Gordon from fullback to wing. Gordon has been solid at the back and chimes in well in attack. I think AJ could handle fullback, and I know Gordon could play wing...but without AJ's defence in the 6, we would be getting carved up frequently.

I hate to say it but...Ash is our weak link at the moment. What happened to those across field bombs to Don?? With Ash playing poorly it makes a lot of other players in our side look ordinary unfairly. He needs to find his mojo quickly.

NSW Titan
16-07-18, 07:09 AM
Don't know about dropping ATay but maybe bench him drop Rein and bring Elegy into the halves?

JunctionBlock
16-07-18, 07:17 AM
We are playing Newcastle away not the Warriors at home

YOu make a very good point. Hahahahaha

NZFan
16-07-18, 07:22 AM

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. After his comments in the press conference also, there's no way he's dropping either of them. I'd personally like Ash to move to 6. Did anyone else notice just how much he drifted out of the second half once his lip was down? It left AJ doing a lot of the playmaking/end to sets, which he did an okay job at without being great.

AJ to one, Gordon to 5 and Sami to 3. I'd even reinstate Koni at 4 (But wouldn't be upset if he wasn't he looks like he could do with a few fitness sessions instead). LG back to 7.

Be nice to see Whitbread given another crack too. He kind of has that Elliot Whitehead style of play to him.

Mr Bods
16-07-18, 09:38 AM
^^^ you are a man after my own heart. I love this post. For those freaking out about LG defence we can play James at 2nd row to be his bodyguard, we have an abundance of Middle Forwards and surely nobody wants Matthews out there anymore.

So FFS Brennan swallow your pride and name this lineup
AJ
Gordon
Sami
Hurrell/Lee (don’t care)
Don
Taylor
LG
Mo
Peats
Wallace
James
Proctor
Arrow

Stockwell
Latu
Hipgrave
Cartwright/Rein (Peats can play 80min and if he has to come off put Taylor at hooker, if Cartwright is still not right then put up with Rein a bit longer because you let another local junior Lawton go you genius just like you are about to lose LG)

And we are playing Newcastle away!!!!!!!

Titanic
16-07-18, 11:26 AM
It seems that Newcar$ehole will have Ponga back this week.

gotitans101_
16-07-18, 11:37 AM
As much of an ATay fan I am, I think it's time he gets a stint in QCup not only to find some form but to show that his recent performances on the sort of money he's on is unacceptable and he needs to man up.

I read on another forum somewhere that LG's long run of awesomeness in QCup came to an end on the weekend (or last weekend). Can someone here fill me in on what they may have meant? Bad game or injury?

JunctionBlock
16-07-18, 12:44 PM
It seems that Newcar$ehole will have Ponga back this week.

He's training but they are saying they won't risk him if he's not 100%.

- - - Updated - - -

^^^ you are a man after my own heart. I love this post. For those freaking out about LG defence we can play James at 2nd row to be his bodyguard, we have an abundance of Middle Forwards and surely nobody wants Matthews out there anymore.

So FFS Brennan swallow your pride and name this lineup
AJ
Gordon
Sami
Hurrell/Lee (don’t care)
Don
Taylor
LG
Mo
Peats
Wallace
James
Proctor
Arrow

Stockwell
Latu
Hipgrave
Cartwright/Rein (Peats can play 80min and if he has to come off put Taylor at hooker, if Cartwright is still not right then put up with Rein a bit longer because you let another local junior Lawton go you genius just like you are about to lose LG)

And we are playing Newcastle away!!!!!!!

Cartwright has a broken hand.

teke
16-07-18, 01:18 PM
As much of an ATay fan I am, I think it's time he gets a stint in QCup not only to find some form but to show that his recent performances on the sort of money he's on is unacceptable and he needs to man up.

I read on another forum somewhere that LG's long run of awesomeness in QCup came to an end on the weekend (or last weekend). Can someone here fill me in on what they may have meant? Bad game or injury?Are you looking for a "bad game" response?

Mr Bods
16-07-18, 02:24 PM
He's training but they are saying they won't risk him if he's not 100%.

- - - Updated - - -

Cartwright has a broken hand.

Thanks scoop, of course I know that but they aren’t long injuries. He’d be very close now to returning.

NZFan
16-07-18, 02:33 PM
I read on another forum somewhere that LG's long run of awesomeness in QCup came to an end on the weekend (or last weekend). Can someone here fill me in on what they may have meant? Bad game or injury?

Scored in the 74th minute so doubt it was injury. Team got beat convincingly though so perhaps he didn't have such a great game. Doesn't matter regardless, Garth won't ever pick him again. He can't now. If he brings him back and he plays the house down then Garth has egg on his face. If he comes back and fails then people say why did he ever bring him back.

The few weeks left in the season are going to be interesting. Brennan keeps saying over and over that we will be a better team at the end of the season than at the start, but in my opinion they have a long way to go. I personally think we were better at the start APART FROM his recruits he brought in. The were all pathetic, but he put that down to forming combinations. I hope we can turn things around.

DIEHARD
16-07-18, 03:13 PM
When LG originally got dropped, I thought it would be short vacation to QCUP.

JunctionBlock
16-07-18, 04:23 PM
Thanks scoop, of course I know that but they aren’t long injuries. He’d be very close now to returning.

Hahaha didn't that airline go bust? OK, Ponga could probably play but it's kind of a "it's just the Titans we don't need to risk him kind of vibe". He's looking at Rd 20-21.

Cartwright is looking at Round 20 before his hand has healed.

Are we changing the name of the thread or are we just living with this?

DIEHARD
16-07-18, 04:29 PM
Are we changing the name of the thread or are we just living with this?

Oh WHOOPS.

I'll fix it.

Was wondering why people were talking about Ponga. :laugh:

JunctionBlock
16-07-18, 04:34 PM
Oh WHOOPS.

I'll fix it.

Was wondering why people were talking about Ponga. :laugh:

Mid season transfer.

gotitans101_
16-07-18, 05:15 PM
Are you looking for a "bad game" response?

No, I honestly wasn't. Hearing of LG tearing it up week in week out in Qcup got me a little excited to the point where I was actually interested to see how he might go if he were to given another crack at first grade. As surprising as it might sound to some of you, just because some of us were calling for his head two months ago doesn't mean we outright hate the guy forever and want him to fail. We wanted him to find some form (shock horror) and it sounds like he's done just that. Good on him I say.

5 Year Contract
16-07-18, 06:16 PM
No, I honestly wasn't. Hearing of LG tearing it up week in week out in Qcup got me a little excited to the point where I was actually interested to see how he might go if he were to given another crack at first grade. As surprising as it might sound to some of you, just because some of us were calling for his head two months ago doesn't mean we outright hate the guy forever and want him to fail. We wanted him to find some form (shock horror) and it sounds like he's done just that. Good on him I say.

Now would be the time to bring him on seeing as we arent going to be playing finals footy. Whatever Brennans long term plan is he need to start implementing it. I would love to see LG off the bench as a utility to spark tiring defences but alas I fear he is already lost so they wont give him game time

DIEHARD
16-07-18, 06:29 PM
Next time we drop anyone to QCUP, let's make sure we do an exceptional job monitoring their form.

gotitans101_
16-07-18, 06:35 PM
Now would be the time to bring him on seeing as we arent going to be playing finals footy. Whatever Brennans long term plan is he need to start implementing it. I would love to see LG off the bench as a utility to spark tiring defences but alas I fear he is already lost so they wont give him game time

Same, I like that idea tbh.

DIEHARD
16-07-18, 07:03 PM
I would love to see LG off the bench as a utility to spark tiring defences but alas I fear he is already lost so they wont give him game time

That's a more realistic hope.

DavidBouveng
16-07-18, 07:31 PM
two things i wonder with LG -

1. there was talk about some misbehaviour earlier in the year and he hasn't been sighted since. is there a chance we are just waiting for his contract to expire so as not to draw too much attention a la manly and Jackson Hastings.

2. if he is dead to Brennan, is Brennan not bringing him back at the risk of him starring and then Brennan looking silly for not resigning someone who is playing well?

just conspiracy theories for sure, but form doesn't seem to be the lone factor in selection or non selection so thought i might speculate

Dobes
16-07-18, 09:18 PM
To be honest, I think it’s time Taylor was dropped for a change. Hasn’t been performing as well as we all know he can of late and him being dropped for a week or two might help him. I also think we should bring in Cooper. No better time than now since we’re playing the Knights. In saying this, I’d go with this team:

1. Gordon
2. Don
3. Sami
4. Lee
5. Cooper
6. Brimson
7. Elgey
8. Wallace
9. Peats
10. James
11. Proctor
12. Hipgrave
13. Arrow

14. Rein
15. Fotuaika
16. Stockwell
17. Latu

Might as well try and get as prepared for next season as we can be. This ones gone anyway.

ozynorts
17-07-18, 06:00 AM
two things i wonder with LG -

1. there was talk about some misbehaviour earlier in the year and he hasn't been sighted since. is there a chance we are just waiting for his contract to expire so as not to draw too much attention a la manly and Jackson Hastings.

2. if he is dead to Brennan, is Brennan not bringing him back at the risk of him starring and then Brennan looking silly for not resigning someone who is playing well?

just conspiracy theories for sure, but form doesn't seem to be the lone factor in selection or non selection so thought i might speculate

That is the thing with being a fan, we don't get to hear the conversations and see the training sessions. If Elgey has shown Brennan that he is not a player that is willing to work with the coach then it makes the coaches decision for him. I am not saying that this is the case but for the club to not offer him a new deal speaks to more than form issues in my opinion...

Mr Bods
17-07-18, 11:31 AM
To be honest, I think it’s time Taylor was dropped for a change. Hasn’t been performing as well as we all know he can of late and him being dropped for a week or two might help him. I also think we should bring in Cooper. No better time than now since we’re playing the Knights. In saying this, I’d go with this team:

1. Gordon
2. Don
3. Sami
4. Lee
5. Cooper
6. Brimson
7. Elgey
8. Wallace
9. Peats
10. James
11. Proctor
12. Hipgrave
13. Arrow

14. Rein
15. Fotuaika
16. Stockwell
17. Latu

Might as well try and get as prepared for next season as we can be. This ones gone anyway.

If Taylor was dropped and LG elevated to the 7 jumper that would be absolute gold.

timor 2
17-07-18, 03:02 PM
Newcastle Knights v Gold Coast Titans, Saturday 3pm at McDonald Jones Stadium

Knights: 1 Nick Meaney, 2 Ken Sio, 3 Cory Denniss, 4 Shaun Kenny-Dowall, 5 Nathan Ross, 6 Connor Watson, 7 Mitchell Pearce (c), 8 Josh King, 9 Danny Levi, 10 Daniel Saifiti, 11 Aidan Guerra, 12 Mitch Barnett, 13 Herman Ese'ese

Interchange: 14 Jamie Buhrer (c), 15 Chris Heighington, 16 Lachlan Fitzgibbon, 17 Jacob Lillyman

Reserves: 18 Brent Naden, 19 Sam Stone, 20 Jack Cogger, 21 JJ Felise

Sione Mata'utia (concussion) is out, with Nathan Ross joining the backline and Lachlan Fitzgibbon returning from suspension on the bench.

Titans: 1 Michael Gordon, 2 Anthony Don, 3 Konrad Hurrell, 4 Brenko Lee, 5 Phillip Sami, 6 AJ Brimson, 7 Ashley Taylor, 8 Jarrod Wallace, 9 Nathan Peats, 10 Ryan James (c), 11 Kevin Proctor, 12 Keegan Hipgrave, 13 Jai Arrow

Interchange: 14 Mitch Rein, 15 Moeaki Fotuaika,16 Jack Stockwell, 17 Will Matthews

Reserves: 18 Leilani Latu, 19 Brendan Elliot, 20 Jai Whitbread, 21 Morgan Boyle

Jai Arrow and Keegan Hipgrave return, pushing Jarrod Wallace to prop, Moeaki Fotuaika and Will Matthews to the bench and Leilani Latu and Jai Whitbread to the reserves.

Mr Bods
17-07-18, 03:09 PM
He has picked Matthews again. Latu, Whitbread and Boyle are behind Matthews in Brennan’s pecking order. Yep.

NZFan
17-07-18, 03:16 PM
Elgey not in the 21 Bods, unless he's injured I'm guessing he's signed elsewhere and will be off this week.

Mr Bods
17-07-18, 03:28 PM
Elgey not in the 21 Bods, unless he's injured I'm guessing he's signed elsewhere and will be off this week.

Yeah I noticed that but maybe Brennan just digging his heels in or he needs more forward and outside back options in reserve than halves.
I gotta feeling you might be trying to stir me up NZ.

Titanic
17-07-18, 03:30 PM
Matthews has the goat pictures :(

NZFan
17-07-18, 03:34 PM
I'd like him to stay just just much as you would Bods. Something just doesn't seem right though. Despite him playing the best footy he can for Tweed, and our halves looking arguably worse (as a whole) since he's been dropped, he seem's to be slipping further behind in the pecking order.

Also, Elliot named as well. Thought his release was meant to be immediate?

The things I do to not see Reins hopeless name included every week.. So frustrating.

5 Year Contract
17-07-18, 03:49 PM
I really thought after how Matthews played last week and how Latu actually had a bit of a dig last week we would see Latu in and Matthews out.

Mr Bods
17-07-18, 03:53 PM
^^^ don’t know what happened at the start of the year but I’ve seen enough in the last two games to be convinced he is an impact bench front rower, I wouldn’t start him but off the bench he offers genuine game changing quality.

Matthews would be a handy Captain-Coach for the Currumbin Eagles

5 Year Contract
17-07-18, 04:03 PM
^^^ don’t know what happened at the start of the year but I’ve seen enough in the last two games to be convinced he is an impact bench front rower, I wouldn’t start him but off the bench he offers genuine game changing quality.

Matthews would be a handy Captain-Coach for the Currumbin Eagles

Yeah he seemed a bit off pace at the start of the year and was very sketchy in defence the first few rounds (he wasnt alone). I heard Greg Alexander wrapping Latu on commentary about the potential they saw in him at penrith. We have him for a few years and with the season over I think id be pulling the trigger on him to get him back up to first grade as an impact player off the bench. With Boyd here next year we should have a monster pack and Matthews sure as hell aint apart of our long term plans.

gotitans101_
17-07-18, 06:06 PM
Is Will Matthews Brennan's Will Zillman?

JunctionBlock
17-07-18, 06:06 PM
We should win this. Surprised to see Matthews in the mix too. Hopefully drops out between now and Saturday.

Titanic
17-07-18, 06:10 PM
Henderson the Goat for Cartwright, Wilbur the Horse Botherer for Henry and Matthews the Pipe Cleaner for Brennan ... they must be very damaging photos.

lonegull
17-07-18, 06:17 PM
I think Latu showed enough last week to warrant selection on the bench again, not sure how Mathews gets the gig in front of him

DavidBouveng
17-07-18, 06:27 PM
Latu was good last week. would like to see something from him this last 7 weeks heading into post / pre season so we can count on him next year.

Mathews surprised at start of year, and looked very capable but has dropped to the standard we expect. he really shouldnt see much more time in FG.

next year rotation of James, Wallace, Boyd, Mofo seems pretty promising. If Latu gets it together he can be important as well.

i also think after watching James closely lately, being one of his biggest supports here, and I actually take claim to being the first to notice his transition from firebrand to workhorse 2 years ago when everyone at first thought he was just playing soft... so i know my Ryan James.... but i think with Arrow playing 80, Proctor playing 80, hopefully another second rower playing 80.... James needs a spell in matches again.

He has been a hero and done so much dirty work, but we need slightly more impact, and also a bit less of the slowness and lethargy that creeps in when he is buggered. Love him, but we need to help him by relieving some of the burden

JunctionBlock
17-07-18, 06:35 PM
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/17/garth-brennan-calls-for-video-referral-system-rethink/

Here's the article we all knew would come. An apology from Sutton. It also explains the Elliot situation toward the end of the article.

Just on James, I think he stays out there for 80 because of our defensive issues we were having at the start of the year when we went to the bench. Since then he's just been left out there to tighten it all up.

Mr Bods
17-07-18, 06:40 PM
DB-How about a rotation of Wallace/Boyd/Mo/King with Proctor/James being the 2nd row, Arrow lock and one of Latu/Hipgrave/Boyle/Stockwell being the third forward on the bench? Won’t go into the utility spot as there are too many factors at play there.
Injuries will come into play to ruin it of course.

Gee we need to get rid of CartWrong and use his money to get another good back or two.

Whats Doing
17-07-18, 07:03 PM
Lee defensive deficiencies was all too evident last week. He might ok in attack but can be a turnstile in defence far too often

DavidBouveng
17-07-18, 07:25 PM
DB-How about a rotation of Wallace/Boyd/Mo/King with Proctor/James being the 2nd row, Arrow lock and one of Latu/Hipgrave/Boyle/Stockwell being the third forward on the bench? Won’t go into the utility spot as there are too many factors at play there.
Injuries will come into play to ruin it of course.

Gee we need to get rid of CartWrong and use his money to get another good back or two.

I don't hate James on the edge, but he plays best in the middle in my opinion. would need to see a few games of him playing pure left edge before i could be sure as its been a while.

I feel like Henry only played him wider that year to build his motor up before moving him back.

I do think Hipgrave brings something different if he can keep focused and reign it in just a little bit. Asides from Maybe James and Arrow, Hipgrave looks in terrific shape and fiercely fit. Can bounce around all game making good hit ups and taking shots at blokes. With our penchant for metre eaters like James, Wallace, Arrow, and Proctor a hole runner basically, Hipgrave can be the x factor out there for us.... as long as he can stay on the field

Titanic
17-07-18, 09:44 PM
I’d include King in that DB ... he maybe injured but we miss his work off the bench. 80 minutes of James in the middle is worth far more than him languishing on an edge.

DIEHARD
18-07-18, 01:53 AM
Knights v Titans: Rossdog replaces Sione; Arrow bolsters Titans
https://www.nrl.com/

Given how Newcastle performed before Mitchell Pearce got injured, it probably shouldn't have come as a surprise that the Knights won in his first game back, halting a three-game losing slide with a courageous come-from-behind victory over wooden spoon favourites Parramatta.

Okay it was only the Eels, but after falling behind 10-0 in 10 minutes a Pearce-driven Knights clawed their way back to claim their seventh win of the season and keep their ever-so-slim finals hopes alive.

Poor old Nathan Brown. The scenarios that must run through his head if Pearce and now Kalyn Ponga (hamstring injury) had been on board for every game. If the Knights don't win on Saturday they can definitely forget about the playoffs.

The Titans dropped to 6-11 with last week's home loss to an under-strength Roosters side and have welcomed back Origin duo Jai Arrow and Jarrod Wallace.

Key match-up: Jai Arrow will be looking forward to his first game back at club level now that the Origin series is wrapped up. Arrow played a key role in the Maroons' game three victory and will be looking to wreak havoc on the Knights forwards. Daniel Saifiti should take it as a personal challenge to keep Arrow as quiet as possible.

For the Knights to win: It's stating the bleeding obvious but Pearce will have to cast a long shadow for Newcastle to be successful. Brown got good contributions from other sources but with Ponga still a week away from returning, Pearce needs to be on his game from start to finish.

For the Titans to win: Wins over Canterbury and the Wests Tigers in rounds 15 and 16 had some pundits thinking the Titans could make a run at the top eight. But then came a harsh reality check in the form of a 34-0 loss to the Broncos in round 17, which was followed by last week's loss to the Roosters. Garth Brennan has to get his team clicking on all cylinders like they did against the Bulldogs and Eels and Ash Taylor needs to run the ball more.

Knights Stat Attack: It's no surprise that the Knights have relied heavily on the impact of Pearce this season – last week's win ended a six-game losing streak at home, while Newcastle have won five of eight games with Pearce in the side. Pearce has only lost twice in seven games at McDonald Jones Stadium.

Titans Stat Attack: The Gold Coast have had the wood on Newcastle in recent times, winning four of their past five against the Knights with Konrad Hurrell scoring doubles in both games against Newcastle last season.

And another thing: It's no top-of-the-table blockbuster but this is a crucial game for the 11th and 12-placed teams on the ladder and they will no doubt view each other as very beatable. Defence has been a problem for both teams all year, with the Knights conceding 444 points and the Titans 427. No other team has given up 400 yet.

Newcastle Knights v Gold Coast Titans, Saturday 3pm at McDonald Jones Stadium

Knights: 1 Nick Meaney, 2 Ken Sio, 3 Cory Denniss, 4 Shaun Kenny-Dowall, 5 Nathan Ross, 6 Connor Watson, 7 Mitchell Pearce (c), 8 Josh King, 9 Danny Levi, 10 Daniel Saifiti, 11 Aidan Guerra, 12 Mitch Barnett, 13 Herman Ese'ese

Interchange: 14 Jamie Buhrer (c), 15 Chris Heighington, 16 Lachlan Fitzgibbon, 17 Jacob Lillyman

Reserves: 18 Brent Naden, 19 Sam Stone, 20 Jack Cogger, 21 JJ Felise

Sione Mata'utia (concussion) is out, with Nathan Ross joining the backline and Lachlan Fitzgibbon returning from suspension on the bench.

Titans: 1 Michael Gordon, 2 Anthony Don, 3 Konrad Hurrell, 4 Brenko Lee, 5 Phillip Sami, 6 AJ Brimson, 7 Ashley Taylor, 8 Jarrod Wallace, 9 Nathan Peats, 10 Ryan James (c), 11 Kevin Proctor, 12 Keegan Hipgrave, 13 Jai Arrow

Interchange: 14 Mitch Rein, 15 Moeaki Fotuaika,16 Jack Stockwell, 17 Will Matthews

Reserves: 18 Leilani Latu, 19 Brendan Elliot, 20 Jai Whitbread, 21 Morgan Boyle

Jai Arrow and Keegan Hipgrave return, pushing Jarrod Wallace to prop, Moeaki Fotuaika and Will Matthews to the bench and Leilani Latu and Jai Whitbread to the reserves.

Head-to-head: Played 19; Knights 10 wins, Titans 9 wins
Previous result: Titans won 33-26 at Cbus Super Stadium in round 11
Points per game: Knights 17.6; Titans 18.1
Points conceded per game: Knights 26.1; Titans 24.8
Televised: Live on Fox League

Petero Civoniceva's prediction: The Knights will have taken plenty of confidence out of last week's win and playing at home is a big advantage. The return of Mitchell Pearce was massive and he brought composure in the tight moments. The Titans have had an up and down season and played without luck last Sunday but I favour the Knights at home.

TIP: Knights by 6

shamus
18-07-18, 06:23 AM
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/17/garth-brennan-calls-for-video-referral-system-rethink/

Here's the article we all knew would come. An apology from Sutton. It also explains the Elliot situation toward the end of the article.

Yep, we all know it was a no try and social media went overboard regarding this but again I will mention that this guy was 100% going to score until an offside Wallace stripped the ball. So if ref or bunker state no try then this is a professional foul and puts Wallace in the bin next to Mathews. So down to 11 players albeit Mathews only had a few minutes of bin time left. Still time for Roosters to do more damage with us only having 11 players for maybe 2-3 minutes and 12 players for a further 7-8. I am uncertain of the rules here but possibly the ref could have awarded a penalty try? Someone else can enlighten me on that. Me thinks we got the right end of the stick on this one.

Menoitios
18-07-18, 06:32 AM

Just on James, I think he stays out there for 80 because of our defensive issues we were having at the start of the year when we went to the bench. Since then he's just been left out there to tighten it all up.

I wish the 2 refs and the ref in charge of the bunker were made to front the media to answer questions on the games like the coaches and captains do after each outing. That might make them start officiating with more common sense, knowing they'll be quizzed after the match.

It comes down to our own performance though I guess. We need to improve our attack and defence. Like they say in the UFC/MMA...don't leave the result in the hands of the officials!

shamus
18-07-18, 06:44 AM
Yep, we all know it was a no try and social media went overboard regarding this but again I will mention that this guy was 100% going to score until an offside Wallace stripped the ball. So if ref or bunker state no try then this is a professional foul and puts Wallace in the bin next to Mathews. So down to 11 players albeit Mathews only had a few minutes of bin time left. Still time for Roosters to do more damage with us only having 11 players for maybe 2-3 minutes and 12 players for a further 7-8. I am uncertain of the rules here but possibly the ref could have awarded a penalty try? Someone else can enlighten me on that. Me thinks we got the right end of the stick on this one.

I just watched a partial replay......Mathews had closer to 3 minutes than 2 still in the bin.

DavidBouveng
18-07-18, 07:27 AM
Its funny shamus, if the refs went that way, i don't think anyone could argue.

they made their life so much tougher than it needed to be by going the controversial route when they had an easy out right in front of their noses!

Titanic
18-07-18, 09:03 AM
Having Matthews off was arguably an advantage :(

Mr Bods
18-07-18, 10:15 AM
I’d include King in that DB ... he maybe injured but we miss his work off the bench. 80 minutes of James in the middle is worth far more than him languishing on an edge.

Oh come on Titanic, being a 2nd rower isn’t exactly being on the wing. You are the 4th person in from the sideline. It would give him James a chance too to really wind up when he does have a run. Plus if it’s LG of The Termite at 5/8 next year that player will need a defensive bodyguard as both as we all know have deficiencies.

shamus
18-07-18, 11:46 AM
Its funny shamus, if the refs went that way, i don't think anyone could argue.

they made their life so much tougher than it needed to be by going the controversial route when they had an easy out right in front of their noses!

Exactly. What I don't comprehend is why no football callers or media have mentioned this at all.

Sorry......Just realised that we have stolen the Newcastle game thread.

JunctionBlock
18-07-18, 11:50 AM
He may not have been sent off. We also had a player interfered with inside the ten when we had a quick tap and we didn't even get a penalty. So who knows what the refs would have done.

TITAN PETE
18-07-18, 06:15 PM
Having Matthews off was arguably an advantage :(

Started the year on fire & now I think he’s another Simpkins & should be in Q Cup

Menoitios
21-07-18, 10:10 AM
Anyone heard of any late changes??

Titanic
21-07-18, 10:23 AM
A few of us will be at Parkwoods to watch the game for anyone interested in some friends to celebrate with or for a shoulder to cry on depending if you are the glass half full supporter or the other kind :)

Menoitios
21-07-18, 10:34 AM
A few of us will be at Parkwoods to watch the game for anyone interested in some friends to celebrate with or for a shoulder to cry on depending if you are the glass half full supporter or the other kind :)

Cheers, mate. I'm in Rocky sadly (on so many levels) LOL

One thing's for sure...I'll be half full win, lose or draw.

And as full as a goog if we win!!

gotitans101_
21-07-18, 02:26 PM
Wow.....Ash is actually trying!

BundyTitan
21-07-18, 02:27 PM
Taylor has completely lost all confidence. His usually spot on kicks have been ordinary and he is making mistakes left right and centre. He needs a confidence boost somehow.

gotitans101_
21-07-18, 02:38 PM
We need to lock up Fotuaika asap

gotitans101_
21-07-18, 02:51 PM
Wow.....Ash is actually trying!

Not having much success though.

DIEHARD
21-07-18, 02:54 PM
Hey everyone enjoying the game here at Parkwood with other fans off the forum. Great to share the game. Shame we are only two
Points up. But I’ll take it. James, Wallace, Fotuaika and Don going wel. Shame to let in that try just before halftime.

lonegull
21-07-18, 02:57 PM
Need to shut Levi down in second half around the ruck he is engaging the markers or if markers not there taking the run

- - - Updated - - -

We need to lock up Fotuaika asap

Signed for four years

ozynorts
21-07-18, 03:11 PM
What a ball from Brimson, reminds me of someone??

BundyTitan
21-07-18, 03:11 PM
Brimson WHAT A BALL. Growing with every game, and hopefully he keeps to add stuff like that into his game.

gotitans101_
21-07-18, 03:12 PM
Need to shut Levi down in second half around the ruck he is engaging the markers or if markers not there taking the run

- - - Updated - - -

Signed for four years

nice, thanks.

BundyTitan
21-07-18, 03:15 PM
What a ball from Brimson, reminds me of someone??

Was just about to say the same myself, sure to cause a stir with some on here ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Need to keep this up, good to see Ash with a lucky yet good play there. Hopefully gets his confidence back.

DIEHARD
21-07-18, 03:15 PM
You beauty! Open the gates! What’s that two tries in five mins?! Just checked NRL.com and it says three minutes!

I was a bit thrown by Sami when he was so chilled after his try. I thought it was called back by the ref.

DIEHARD
21-07-18, 03:16 PM
Brimson WHAT A BALL. Growing with every game, and hopefully he keeps to add stuff like that into his game.

Was a beauty!

DIEHARD
21-07-18, 03:24 PM
Hope AJ is ok.

gotitans101_
21-07-18, 03:29 PM
pretty bad miss by Hipgrave there

lonegull
21-07-18, 03:38 PM
Levi carving up the ruck area

- - - Updated - - -

Ash Taylor woeful

gotitans101_
21-07-18, 03:38 PM
I'm sick of this. Taylor is ****ing ****house

a_guest
21-07-18, 03:39 PM
Hipgrave 8 missed tackles, 2 errors.

Remind me why people are talking up this plodder?

lonegull
21-07-18, 03:39 PM
Wallace woeful also

gotitans101_
21-07-18, 03:40 PM
Hipgrave 8 missed tackles, 2 errors.

Remind me why people are talking up this plodder?

I have no idea, but I agree. Stats don't lie.

lonegull
21-07-18, 03:46 PM
Great will be an extra man on the field this last 10 minutes

- - - Updated - - -

Lol what a joke

mdrew
21-07-18, 03:46 PM
Sigh you could see that coming

gotitans101_
21-07-18, 03:47 PM
we can't even beat Newcastle without Ponga LOL

Mr Bods
21-07-18, 03:55 PM
Great stuff Brennan. 24-10 to 24-30. Would have been good to have LG off the bench today for AJ.

- - - Updated - - -

Rein great dropped ball
Total trash
Wouldn’t it be good to have LG there now

gotitans101_
21-07-18, 03:56 PM
Great stuff Brennan. 24-10 to 24-30. Would have been good to have LG off the bench today for AJ.

- - - Updated - - -

Rein great dropped ball
Total trash
Wouldn’t it be good to have LG there now

lol because LG was the lord and savior of this team when he was in the side

TitansState
21-07-18, 03:56 PM
This team..

lonegull
21-07-18, 03:57 PM
Why o why do we put ourself through this

Mr Bods
21-07-18, 03:59 PM
lol because LG was the lord and savior of this team when he was in the side

I don’t recall ever laughing at one of your comments
How rude is that
He’d have been much better off the bench in this predicament than Rein when AJ came off

DIEHARD
21-07-18, 04:01 PM
Gee it all fell apart when AJ went off. :cry:

Titan68
21-07-18, 04:04 PM
The coach will say , Taylor was one of our best
As i said before , we’re boys playing a mans game

Firetruck
21-07-18, 04:14 PM
Can someonfrom the Club who reads this site please provide the following to Ash Taylor.
“ 6.00 pm Tuesday night, Pigabeen Oval, Carramar Drive, Tweed Heads West. Ask for Kristian.

NZFan
21-07-18, 04:15 PM
Not too disgruntled about the loss. We looked better this week, but we still don't seem to have a game plan.

Not sure if I'm sold on Stockwell. Once Max King is back I think we only have room for one or the other. Latu was okay apart from that one bad pass. I thought he probably should have come on a little earlier for James - he always seems to play 5-10min longer than he should.

AJ is starting to look better and better every week and Ash is looking worse and worse. I know that there is a lot of disagreement round the topic... but Ash is paid almost twice as much as Elgey, is he twice the player?

Titan68
21-07-18, 04:16 PM
Wasting your energy FireTruck
“ IT WILL NEVER EVER HAPPEN TO THE PRINCESS “

Mr Bods
21-07-18, 04:40 PM
The Coach will also say “I’m happy with the effort and they never gave up”.
24-10 to 24-30. It’s just not right.
But ignore me mainly lads, I’ve got some stuff going on in the real world that has me pretty down.

We have to start worrying about the Spoon now.
So must regroup and find a win or two.

What’s the injury report please???

C-Whiz
21-07-18, 04:43 PM
I'm now of the firm belief that Ash Taylor has the occasional good game and gets big wraps for it, but generally plays at a Q-cup level. He is soft. He is lacking mental fitness for this level.

Titan68
21-07-18, 05:03 PM
“ FINALLY “ , someone has said it. About bloody time

gotitans101_
21-07-18, 05:19 PM
I don’t recall ever laughing at one of your comments
How rude is that
He’d have been much better off the bench in this predicament than Rein when AJ came off

Sorry mate, didn't mean to offend you. Just doubt Elgey would have made any difference today. Yes, in hindsight we could have replaced Brimson with him when he came off but I doubt he would have made any difference in that last 20 minutes anyway.

Mr Bods
21-07-18, 05:28 PM
Sorry mate, didn't mean to offend you. Just doubt Elgey would have made any difference today. Yes, in hindsight we could have replaced Brimson with him when he came off but I doubt he would have made any difference in that last 20 minutes anyway.

All good. Im way grumpier than usual at the moment
The real me will hopefully re-emerge soon

NZFan
21-07-18, 05:29 PM
Boy oh boy.. Just watched the press conference and Brennan stated that he thought Ash controlled the game really well. What game was he watching?

gotitans101_
21-07-18, 05:33 PM
Boy oh boy.. Just watched the press conference and Brennan stated that he thought Ash controlled the game really well. What game was he watching?

wtf lol

Boonarga
21-07-18, 05:35 PM
Hipgrave is now one of “those” players. If he is involved in any niggle the refs will penalise him regardless of fault.

Whats Doing
21-07-18, 05:42 PM
Our forwards are mental midgets who hate to get involved in the tough when it’s needed. Soft as marshmallows and James running is much like Woods. Soft as a pillow

ozynorts
21-07-18, 05:45 PM
I'm now of the firm belief that Ash Taylor has the occasional good game and gets big wraps for it, but generally plays at a Q-cup level. He is soft. He is lacking mental fitness for this level.

The commentators are starting to point out his errors and shortfalls. For a long time he was praised regardless of performance but he is getting called out now. Hopefully the external noise will put pressure on him like it did with Elgey and Cartwright.
The effort for most of the game was better but poor tackles (Hipgrave) and brain fades (Wallace) cost us momentum and they were able to score from the extra possession.

DavidBouveng
21-07-18, 05:47 PM
i thought Rein was good in first half when he came on.

AJ showed some good stuff again. how sure are we that Garth sees him as a fullback? He has the makings of a direct foran style running 5/8th.

no point talking about the rest. just a crap fest and at some Point Coach needs to see our chief play makers performance for what it is.

ozynorts
21-07-18, 06:31 PM
But ignore me mainly lads, I’ve got some stuff going on in the real world that has me pretty down.

Hope all comes good for you Bods, chin up.

Titanic Believer
21-07-18, 06:37 PM
When watching Taylor in attack he seemed to be so intent on organising that his head was clearly somewhere else when the ball was in motion. Standing behind the dummy half and sometimes with his back to the ball until a play involving him was planned. I can't recall a half back not being an option in every play. Is he trying too hard?

lonegull
21-07-18, 06:43 PM
When watching Taylor in attack he seemed to be so intent on organising that his head was clearly somewhere else when the ball was in motion. Standing behind the dummy half and sometimes with his back to the ball until a play involving him was planned. I can't recall a half back not being an option in every play. Is he trying too hard?

Yeah I picked up on this on a lot of occasions Ash just stood near the dummy half and looked completely disinterested, also I have picked up another flaw in his game have a look when we are on the front foot Ash seems to be worried about organising the next play instead of looking to support the off load if it comes has been caught out quiet a few time with back turned organising the next play and the ball is offloaded for second phase and hits the ground or Ash knocks it on

DavidBouveng
21-07-18, 06:45 PM
i should say that for the first 50 minutes Ash looked a hell of a lot better than last few weeks and was going to the line and looked 'up'.

then his head dropped when the game turned....or did the game turn when his head dropped?? oooohhh. think on it

Menoitios
21-07-18, 06:48 PM

Yes. He is over thinking and when he gets the ball he's in about 5 minds as to what to do. He needs to calm down and play footy.

AJ was on fire today. I said it earlier on here somewhere that I don't believe in that old theory that you need a ball running half and and attack minded half to compliment them. Rubbish!

In the modern game you need two attacking halves and a good defensive structure. You need to be able to strike from anywhere on the field. Both halves need to be able to attack freely, and they need to attack in every set by running or by kicking.

Side note; Don was very good today I thought.

Titanic
21-07-18, 07:43 PM
If you look at our team and judge it as a premiership threat then we are hopeless ... but as an emerging force we are plodding along pretty ok. Our players at large are inconsistent and our structure fades in and out but there are good signs of improvement. I’m willing to stick with them but it’s hard.

As an aside, it was great meeting some of the Forum personalities, so good in fact that there is an embryonic plan to gather again at Parkwood for the next away game against the Eels. Put it on your calendar :)

Mr Bods
22-07-18, 03:52 PM
Just watched the Press Conference
“We are a young team” which I somewhat disagree with for me is wearing thin. He said we lost our way when losing AJ and having Rein at 5-8....no kidding. Could have had LG as the utility.

Hail Sezer
22-07-18, 04:02 PM
Just watched the Press Conference
“We are a young team” which I somewhat disagree with for me is wearing thin. He said we lost our way when losing AJ and having Rein at 5-8....no kidding. Could have had LG as the utility.

Having LG as a utility purely incase we need a half or 5/8 replacement? Seems like a silly strategy to me and Kane certisnly wouldnt offer any value playing in the middle

Mr Bods
22-07-18, 04:05 PM
^^^^ it’s a fair point HS but I find it odd when Rein comes on and Peats plays lock too. I think our number 17 strategy in general is not quite right.

BundyTitan
22-07-18, 04:21 PM
Rein is a weird one and I honestly can't make a judgement one way or the other on him. He adds energy to our attack no doubt and made a couple of good linebreaks against the Knights, but it seems like he also stifles our attack with his scoots and is a bit of a hog at times when we really need to give the pass. I don't mind him coming off the bench for us but someone needs to tell him to stop going himself 500 times a game.

Mr Bods
22-07-18, 04:41 PM
Could we try Cartwright as the number 17? He has utility value and Peats is an 80min player isn’t he?
Maybe if Peats went off with an injury then we’d go Cartwright 5-8 and Brimson hooker.
If Peats doesn’t get injured and plays the 80min then Cartwright does a stint at Lock.

NZFan
22-07-18, 04:42 PM
Rein did play well last game but that was been one of only a few times that he has. If we are going to persist with him then I don't know why Peats stays on. He's a small middle forward and an easy target. James and Arrow play big minutes every week which leaves the bench very little time on the field. Why not get them out there for some impact?

I agree with what you're saying Bods that the strategy is not quite right and unfortunately I think it comes down to the coach making room for one of his favourite players. The thing that bugs me about Rein is that his defence is very ineffective and gifts the opposition quick play of the balls. Also his service at times can be laboured. Very rarely does he pass from the ground, which ultimately gives our halves less time. Peats is a 80min hooker so why not get creative with our number 17? Lawton was good because he could play plenty of positions but imagine giving Koni a licence where all he had to do was play 20min as hard as he can. It wouldn't always work but it could really lift our team if it did.

gcboyz
22-07-18, 09:44 PM
I have several theories about our recent form.
Notice how other clubs players who were rested after their origin games came back refreshed and played well. We rolled the dice and lost two games.
Jai Arrow had a busted knee and was way down on form and Wallace played without any real aggression. Without any real depth and a few kids elevated to the top squad of 30 just to make up the numbers it was always going to end in tears.

I have no doubt that some of the kids will prove their worth in the future, but it is pretty hard watching at the moment

Barrels
23-07-18, 12:37 AM
We lost the game when brimson got knocked out and all the fans down that end started abusing the players.

Pretty disgraceful from knights fans some of the **** coming out of their mouths at the players, definitely wouldve got in there head and they scored the next set.

We really need to play 80 minutes these next few weeks if there is any hope for next year.

JunctionBlock
23-07-18, 07:45 AM
Just watched the press conference. I think Brennan is just as disappointed as the rest of us. He was asked about Taylor and commented on what he thought he could have done better (considering this is the same coach that said Bryce had a good game two weeks in a row when he obviously wasn't).

As for Rein. I honestly thought he was our best on field. Arrow had to sub out early due to his PCL injury (how he is playing is beyond me) so Rein came on early and busted the Knights up the middle on numerous occasions. He was up in the faces of the Knights every defensive set too. Bods, firstly, hope all is well or getting better with you outside of the forum, secondly if Cartwright starts playing footy again there is no reason he couldn't be an 18. In the second row rotation and there for the utility value he had a few years back.

I see Seagulls got flogged on the weekend. I haven't checked any of the sites but does anyone have any idea what happened and how our feeder players went?

Great to meet you all (that were there) on Saturday at Parklands too. Pleasure was all mine.

Mr Bods
23-07-18, 12:25 PM
^^^ thanks JB for the kind words. Am a bit envious of this Parkwood scene you lads have. I’m at Currumbin and it’s just too far. Not worth it given I can’t have some beers. We want to win some more games for morale and to avoid the spoon BUT Is it worth it now to play busted up players like Arrow???
Maybe we should let him and others get their operations so they are ship shape for the next pre-season.