PDA

View Full Version : The Official XVIII Melbourne Commonwealth Games Thread

Titanium_BD1103
15-03-06, 09:21 AM
YAY it is only around 11 hours till the opening ceremony of the 2006 Commonwealth Games from Melbourne... :D

Australia has a great chance of sweeping the pool at these games and making history in many sports, and there is a good chance we will see some very special performances from Australians and non-australians alike.

The opening ceremony looks really promising and very interesting from the glimpses I caught on TV last night... and I am looking forward to this immensely... :)

So here is the thread to post up the details of anything happening in the Commonwealth Games, results, articles, questions of who is medal chances, or even just a run down of your favourite sporting star.

I look forward to seeing us all Green and Gold with Pride and screaming GO AUSTRALIA as would be said by the Nova Network over the next 12 days.. and may Australia win plenty.... :win: :win:

Mod note: The question was meant to read GOLD MEDALS.

Dakink
15-03-06, 12:40 PM
Nice - I stickied the thread so we can keep an eyeon the updated tally as we go along.

Looking forward to seeing some of the nations and athletes you dont normally get to see in bigger events like the WC and Olympics.

Dakink
15-03-06, 12:41 PM
Do you mean Gold medals in the Poll? I read in the paper today that they hoped to win 88 gold alone!!

Titanium_BD1103
15-03-06, 12:43 PM
Dakink I am too... like Samoa and the Solomon Islands and the fastest man in the world in Asafa Powell... he will be great to watch... :D

Some details about the opening ceremony.. well in particular Delta singing in the opening ceremony.. :)

from heraldsun.com.au

Delta Goodrem to star at opening ceremony
Cameron Adams
15mar06

Goodrem has written a stirring new song for the big occasion, Together We Are One.

While the spotlight is on Delta, boyfriend Brian McFadden ? who co-wrote the song ? will be watching from the crowd.

"I just want to give the best performance I can," Goodrem said yesterday.

"I am an adopted Melburnian so I'm just so proud.

"I wanted to give something back to a city I absolutely love.

"It feels like home to me."

Goodrem lived in Port Melbourne while filming her role as Nina Tucker in Neighbours.

Her Games ballad harks back to the positive theme of her 2002 No. 1 Born to Try.

Goodrem wrote the song as a tribute to the staff and volunteers behind the Games.

"There is no doubt in my mind these Games are going to be the best ever," she said.

"But to make them successful takes the most phenomenal effort.

"Having been involved in the opening ceremony, I've seen a slice of what it takes to put an event like this on ? from the people backstage, to volunteers, staff, officials and, of course, the athletes.

"I wanted to write a tribute to all those people, to say after all the toil, and the blood, sweat and tears, the time has finally arrived for them to be rewarded. We're all united by this moment."

Together We Are One will be available on the opening ceremony album, which will be sold at the MCG tonight and in stores from tomorrow.

"I just hope it's something that people enjoy. It's aspirational," Goodrem said.

"It's my favourite kind of song to write. The lyrics are just so inspiring ? together we are one. The message is so perfect for the Games."

Goodrem and McFadden wrote the song with British musician Guy Chambers.

"I had known about the Games for a while and they had asked if I could write a song," Goodrem said. "I had a couple of songs I was working on, but I just wasn't sure about them.

"Then, a couple of weeks ago, Brian and I went into a studio with Guy in London and got this done in one day.

"It's just such a wonderful message about putting our differences behind us and all coming together.

"The lyrics are very special and I just love this song."

Chambers co-wrote songs on Goodrem's Mistaken Identity album and McFadden's Irish Son album. He came to prominence as Robbie Williams' songwriting partner.

Goodrem and McFadden reached No. 1 in Australia exactly one year ago with the duet Almost Here. Their relationship has since blossomed.

It will be Goodrem's second MCG appearance. She performed at the AFL Grand Final last year amid controversy.

After a mix-up by organisers, Goodrem was double booked with local singer Silvie Paladino to sing the national anthem.

A gracious Goodrem sang I Am Australian instead.

Titanium_BD1103
15-03-06, 12:45 PM
Oh and here is the song.. :)

Delta Goodrem's song

15mar06

The song Delta Goodrem will sing at the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony. It was written by Goodrem, Brian McFadden and Guy Chambers.

Together We Are One

Here we are
Sharing our lives
We made it through
The good and bad times
And still we stand
With hope in our hearts
No matter what
We will play our part
And now we've come so far
One chance to touch a star
Go higher ... and higher
Find your guiding inspiration
In a place where dreams are made
With a lifetime's preparation
It's no time to be afraid
Put our difference behind us
While you shine like a sun
See what we've all become
Together we are one
Inside, your heart and soul
You reach so high
To reach your goal
And her we stay
With everything
You gave it all
Till there is nothing left
Seek out the strength to win
No thoughts of giving in
Go higher
Then higher
Put our differences behind us
While we're shining like a sun
Together we are one
Put our differences behind us
While we're shining like a sun
Together we are one

I reckon this is a nice song... it encapulates the idea of striving to achieve your best goals and going for gold.. but I still like Nollsy Shine song more.. that would have been cool to have... :D :D

Titanium_BD1103
15-03-06, 12:46 PM
Oh yeah Dakink.. LOL sorry I stuffed that up.. YES PEOPLE GOLD MEDALS NOT ALL MEDALS... :D :D... because we are, as the media is stating said to win 88 gold alone.. :)

Titans#1
15-03-06, 12:54 PM
I vote for a humble 60-80... can't be TOO good... lmao

Eel 33
15-03-06, 02:17 PM
I think they will fall just short of the 100 mark. The rest of the commonwealth will want to knock us off in our own backyard.

Titanium_BD1103
16-03-06, 10:47 AM
Some insight into the Opening Ceremony.. :)

From news.ninemsn.com.au

Melbourne puts its stamp on 18th Games
Wednesday Mar 15 22:56 AEDT

Frolicking koalas, a flying tram and a duck have starred in a Commonwealth Games opening ceremony that celebrated the city of Melbourne.

From the football code born in Melbourne to the creation of one of the city's most recognisable cartoonists, the Victorian capital shared the ceremony with 4100 athletes and 75,000 onlookers.

Australia's premier sporting arena, the Melbourne Cricket Ground, was turned into a stage for a ceremony that officially starts the 18th Commonwealth Games.

From cricketers Max Walker and Simon O'Donnell to Australian football legend Ron Barassi, the ceremony was filled with elements of Melbourne.

Melburnians themselves became part of the event, yelling out a countdown of previous Game host cities before the ceremony got underway.

It started with a Melbourne icon, a W-class tram which winged its way down from the top of the MCG's Great Southern Stand.

John Brack's famous painting "Collins St, 5pm" proved the inspiration for the crowd leaving the tram, throwing off their overcoats to reveal colours in every shade of the rainbow.

A creation of cartoonist Michael Leunig, a duck, shared the stage with 12-year-old Melbourne schoolboy Sean Whitford in one of the ceremony's key components.

Leunig's short poem about the duck, and of keeping one's innocence, were central elements to the story played out in the centre of an arena more used to cricketing and football champions than singing and dancing children.

But it wasn't just the MCG. The nearby Yarra River was instrumental in the ceremony.

Huge fish images, which have floated on the Yarra for the past fortnight, came to life, brightly lit before they sprayed water.

The Games baton was passed down the centre of the river by captains from the AFL's 16 teams, cheered on by tens of thousands of members of the public.

Surfboats were rowed up the Yarra, each bearing the flag of the past 17 countries to host the Commonwealth Games.

After appearing to walk on water, Barassi went up a set of stairs that appeared from out of the river to carry the baton up to the Swan St bridge where he handed it to running great Herb Elliott.

Even Melbourne's central business district was not left out of the ceremony - pyrotechnics leapt from a range of buildings, chasing their way towards the MCG.

Melbourne's Arts Centre spire materialised at one stage: another icon to make its way into the event.

There were elements of past Australian opening ceremonies. Instead of Brisbane's giant kangaroo Matilda, a giant inflatable koala battled above the MCG with other marsupials including ones on a giant thong - similar to the one that featured in the Sydney Olympics.

While there was plenty of focus on Melbourne's recent past, ceremony organisers ensured the nation's first inhabitants were also recognised.

Actor Ursula Yovich played a woman in bark canoe, rowing herself to the centre of the MCG as Aboriginal culture, its stories and history were celebrated.

Two hours of new music was created for the ceremony, but it was a popular hit of the past - The Church with "Under the Milky Way" - that was used as a backdrop to one of the ceremony's highlights.

As motorcyclists did tricks, members of the Australian Ballet Company were elevated into the air, dancing in mid-air.

There were large rounds of applause as the 71 nations and territories entered the MCG, with Scotland, South Africa, India, Canada, Fiji and New Zealand all enjoying strong support.

But the biggest cheer of the night was saved for the Australian team, headed by walker Jane Saville who carried the Australian flag into the MCG.

The ground almost physically shook as the crowd took to its feet, widely applauding the Australians as they marched, skipped and rolled their way into the arena.

The adulation for the Australian team was almost matched by the support Dame Kiri Te Kanawa received as she sang Happy Birthday to Queen Elizabeth which seamlessly segued itself into an upmarket version of God Save the Queen.

Former Olympic greats Cathy Freeman, Ron Clarke and Marjorie Jackson-Nelson were last but one to carry the baton.

Queen Elizabeth, who received the baton from Victorian Governor and running legend John Landy, said the Games were a chance for all members of the Commonwealth to come together, no matter their differences.

"Tonight we celebrate the value of sport as a means of bringing together people from 71 nations and territories, and from a wide range of cultures, traditions and beliefs," she said.

The Queen also paid tribute to Australia, highlighting how other cities had held previous Empire and Commonwealth games.

"I would like to remind you of the very successful games at Sydney in 1938, in Perth in 1962, and in Brisbane in 1982.

"Together they underline the impressive contribution that Australia has made to the successful development of the Commonwealth, and to the encouragement of good sportsmanship and friendliness throughout the Commonwealth."

And with that, the Queen declared the Games open.

?AAP 2005

I thought the opening ceremony was impressive... I loved the athletes coming out so happy and cheerful, how Barrassi walked on water and the song Delta sung.. very inspirational IMO.. :D

The start however was a bit confusing.. too melbournised I have heard the media say.. I reckon maybe not.. maybe just a bit too focused on showing Victoria to the world instead of Australia.. But very cool none the less.. I loved the thong and the magic of the duck.. even if I didn't understand it entirely... :D :D

Well done Melbourne and bring on the competition.. LET THE GAMES BEGIN

Super Cronk
16-03-06, 11:39 AM
I watched a bit of the ceremony last night....and i just have to ask, was the guy that planned it on acid or some type of other drugs?

Also what is with every Australian event we have to have a kid flying around in the air..

Queenslander
16-03-06, 12:12 PM
I watched a bit of the ceremony last night....and i just have to ask, was the guy that planned it on acid or some type of other drugs?

Also what is with every Australian event we have to have a kid flying around in the air..

The opening cermony didnt offer anything new to me; flying kids....people dressed up as koalas; it was like a big circus!......It was a big disappointment IMO.

Go_The_Doggies
16-03-06, 01:59 PM
well tbh, leading up to the games...i didnt really care...i was only interested in the sevens and the netball....:)

but last night before the ceromony...they had a thing on tv...with dave dobbyn singing his awesome song 'welcome home' at the thingy where hamish marshall was announced flag bearer *respect*....lol i had soo much kiwi pride then haha....then when they showed the massive as haka the nz mens basketball team recieved...it was soo cool lol.

:)

Queenslander
16-03-06, 02:59 PM
Aussies post first win in lawn bowls
March 16, 2006

AUSTRALIA'S women's triples have become the first lawn bowls combination to win a match for the host nation at the Commonwealth Games.

Noi Tucker, Roma Dunn and Ceri Ann Davies overcame a slow start to defeat Samoa in straight sets in their opening round-robin match 13-10 21-3.

Heavy rain overnight and early this morning failed to delay the start time as an enthusiastic capacity crowd filled the Darebin International Sports Centre.

Davies was later pleased with the win, saying a change in strategy after the first set to play longer ends had worked to the Australians' advantage.

"We didn't get off to a very good start and that shows we still have a lot of work to do," she said.

"You really can't afford to take anyone lightly at this level.

"In the second set we found our rhythm playing the longer ends."

The women's triples play again later today against the Cook Islands.

AAP

Go_The_Doggies
16-03-06, 04:49 PM
lmfao..imo..lawn bowls shouldnt be there...but hey...

Titanium_BD1103
16-03-06, 06:30 PM

Australian teenager wins bronze medal
Thursday Mar 16 16:40 AEDT

Australian teenager Erika Yamasaki has won bronze in the women's 48 kilogram weightlifting.

India's Kunjarani Nameirakpam won the gold medal, the first of the Games.

Nameirakpam lifted 94 kilograms in the clean and jerk to post a total of 166 kilograms, edging Canada's Marilou Dozois-Prevost into the silver medal position by one kilogram.

Yamasaki took the bronze with a total of 153kg.

CONGRATS to Erika, you have done Australia so proud by winning in a sport we don't normally go well in... Bronze is a fantastic effort and Australia is so very very proud of you... :D :D

Go_The_Doggies
16-03-06, 07:00 PM
Lol there's a nz gymnist in our team, who's 14....omg..i was good at gymnastics..if it wasnt for assholes that ****ed my toes i coulda been good!!!!...i coulda been at the commenwealth games now!!!!!!!! :p lmfao..na seriously tho...14 years old...im 14..and wat am i doing lol:p:p

Go_The_Doggies
16-03-06, 07:01 PM
That erika girls brings me back memories of mr nigel avery or however u spell his last name :p

only cos they both do/did weight lifting:p

Titanium_BD1103
16-03-06, 07:02 PM
That is true.. and I like the prospects of your gymnnast there Kim... very good and will do well.. :)

Oh its Games time.. I am off to watch them now.. :D :D

Go_The_Doggies
16-03-06, 07:03 PM
They're on over here now:)

i only really take notice of the sevens :):)..well for now

Go_The_Doggies
16-03-06, 08:36 PM
16/03/2006
Marcus Forbes
Kiwi swimmer Moss Burmester left the men's 200 metres Butterfly field in his wake in Melbourne on Thursday night.

Burmester stormed to victory and the Commonwealth Games title at the Melbourne Aquatic centre in a Games record time of 1.56.64.

He joins the likes of fellow Kiwis Anthony Mosse, Danyon Loader and Dave Gerrard in the Commonwealth record books for the event.

"I'm over the moon," Burmester said.

"I'm absolutely stoked, it's unbelievable I don't know what to say."

The former Bay of Plenty swimmer who trains under New Zealand coach Jan Cameron in Auckland now made his intentions known from the beginning.

He made a quick start and was under the world record slpit through the first 50 metres.

But it was in the second half of the race that Burmester showed what he is made of.

He turned with the field close after the first 100 metres but powered away to take a full body length lead at the finish.

Burmester admitted the support he received from the Kiwi crowd in melbourne including his parents really helped.

"Having the Kiwis there definitely helped," he said.

Fellow Kiwi Andrew McMillan finished fifth in the final in a time of 2.00.61.

Meanwhile Helen Norfolk has finished fifth in the final of the women's 200 metres Individual Medley.

Norfolk was well off the pace which was set by Australians Stephanie Rice, Brooke Hansen and Lara Carroll who collected gold, silver and bronze.

man im feeling the love for the kiwis right now man :roll:
im soo happy...GO MOSS :hi:

Titanium_BD1103
16-03-06, 09:10 PM
Congrats to NZ... I loved the Haka done there.. very cool IMO.. :)

OMG.. GO AUSTRALIA GO AUSTRALIA GO AUSTRALIA.. :D

- An Australian Trifecta in the Swimming with Stephanie Rice, Brooke Hanson and Lara Carroll scoring Gold, Silver and Bronze in the Womens individual 200m Medley.. :D

- Ben Kersten winning against all odds and getting Gold in the Cycling 1km Time Trial, the last time the race is ever going to be run in a major comp... :)

- The Meares Sisters, Anna getting Gold and sister Kerrie getting Bronze in the Time Trial... :D

- Travis Nederpelt and Joshua Krogh getting Silver and Bronze in the Swimming and Libby Lenton getting Silver in her first attempt at the 200m freestyle.. :)

- The Men featuring Ashley Callus, Michael Klim, Brett Hawke and Eamon Sullivan got Silver and almost Gold against the World champion South Africans.. :)

GO AUSTRALIA, and this is only day one... there is plenty more to come.. :D :D

Steelers
16-03-06, 10:41 PM
Australia were narrowly beat by the Poms 14-12 in the Rugby 7's. We needed a conversion after the hooter to tie it up, but it missed :(

Titanium_BD1103
16-03-06, 11:20 PM
Yeah I know.. but we performed well and it was a group match.. we showed that even with 2 players in the sin bin we can perform against the best.. it puts us in good stead for tomorrow.. :)

Well done to our Mens Gymnastics Team... Silver Medals in the Teams Rotation... :D

MOPL
16-03-06, 11:37 PM

If only the tram had hit the queen that would have been gold

Titanium_BD1103
17-03-06, 11:58 AM
AUSTRALIA HAS WON IN THE SHOOTING... CONGRATS TO OUR BOYS AND WELL DONE.. :D :D

from news.ninemsn.com.au

Aussies win gold in 50m pistol pairs
Friday Mar 17 11:37 AEDT

Australia has produced a storming finish to clinch gold in the men's 50m pistol pairs at the Commonwealth Games.

Daniel Repacholi and David Moore edged out India by four shots, with England taking the bronze medal a further four shots back.

Trailing midway though the best of six rounds series, Repacholi, from Victoria and Moore, from New South Wales, fired strongly over the closing rounds to seal gold at the Melbourne International Shooting Club.

Repacholi, 23, scored an individual total of 549 points and Moore compiled 537 for Australia's total of 1,086.

It was Repacholi's Commonwealth Games debut while Moore took his fourth medal following three silvers at Manchester in 2002 and Kuala Lumpur in 1998.

?AAP 2006

Super Cronk
17-03-06, 12:00 PM
With all the shootings over america you would think the would be certs for the gold medal.

Titanium_BD1103
17-03-06, 12:01 PM
LOL they would... but sadly the USA is not a commonwealth country... as for the islands.. they are too laid back to do something like that... :laugh: :laugh:

Super Cronk
17-03-06, 12:09 PM
LOL they would... but sadly the USA is not a commonwealth country... as for the islands.. they are too laid back to do something like that... :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah but even at the olympics they suck.

Go_The_Doggies
17-03-06, 02:24 PM
Congrats to NZ... I loved the Haka done there.. very cool IMO.. :)

Yeh twas cool, but no one does it like the all blacks imo... :happy:

Steve Dangerous
17-03-06, 02:39 PM
oh damn i voted 80-100 because i thought it was for gold medals.

as for any medals, we're expected to get around 200 so this poll is kinda off

Titans#1
17-03-06, 02:42 PM
oh damn i voted 80-100 because i thought it was for gold medals.

as for any medals, we're expected to get around 200 so this poll is kinda off

It is for gold medals steve, BDT forgot to add that bit lol

Go_The_Doggies
17-03-06, 02:45 PM
i just realised us kiwis have quite alot of swimmers tbh:)

Titans#1
17-03-06, 02:46 PM
So Far....

Country - Gold - Silver - Bronze - Total
1 Australia 4 6 4 14
2 India 3 2 0 5
3 Scotland 2 0 1 3
4 England 1 3 4 8
5 Canada 1 2 2 5
6 Malaysia 1 0 1 2
7 New Zealand 1 0 0 1
7 South Africa 1 0 0 1
9 Bangladesh 0 1 0 1
10 Wales 0 0 1 1
10 Singapore 0 0 1 1

Go_The_Doggies
17-03-06, 04:23 PM
So Far....

1 Australia 4 6 4 14
2 India 3 2 0 5
3 Scotland 2 0 1 3
4 England 1 3 4 8
5 Canada 1 2 2 5
6 Malaysia 1 0 1 2
7 New Zealand 1 0 0 1
7 South Africa 1 0 0 1
9 Bangladesh 0 1 0 1
10 Wales 0 0 1 1
10 Singapore 0 0 1 1
imo...we have done well tbh :win:
considering we is a small nation :satan: but this commenwealth games is the biggest group nz have ever had... :naughty:

GO YOU KIWIS

Titanium_BD1103
17-03-06, 06:14 PM
Thanks Titans#1 for updating the medal tally... :D

As for results.. well here it is... GO AUSTRALIA and our Shooting Prowess

from news.ninemsn.com.au

Three shooting gold medals for Australia
Friday Mar 17 17:25 AEDT

Australian shooters Michael Diamond and Adam Vella have won the gold medal in the men's trap pairs at the Commonwealth Games.

Vella and Diamond were able to celebrate even before the competition finished as they were too far ahead to be caught by their nearest competitors, Canada.

Vella's final round of shooting was interrupted twice.
First, a power outage at the Melbourne Gun Club froze the systems that fling the clay targets into the air.

Shortly after, Vella had to stop again as a vehicle began driving across the paddock that lies beyond the range.

The victory was built on two perfect rounds of 25 shot by Diamond after a poor start, while Vella managed three consecutive rounds of 24.

Vella said the interruption had been unfortunate, and it required him to increase his concentration for the final few shots.

"It does break your train of your thought, but we've been around long enough to sort of be able to stay focused and get back into it when we've got to stand back up there again," he said.

"You've just got to be able to re-focus. You really don't want any breakdowns, and then with that car out the front ... so I was happy to get out of it with a 24."

Diamond and Vella combined to take the trap pairs at Manchester where they only won on a countback.

This time they've got room to spare.

Diamond admitted the sell-out crowd at the gun club contributed to the shaky start from both him and Vella in the first round.

"In my first round I got caught up with the crowd and the grandstand and the amount of people that was drawn to this event today," he said.

"After that, it's either you want to win gold or do you want to come last, and I'm pretty sure that we both wantedto win gold."

But the crowd was also a good feeling for Diamond, who after shooting his second perfect score had to put his finger to his mouth and gesture to cheering fans to calm down.

Diamond was happy to have overcome the problems associated with the Athens Olympics where his place in the team was put in jeopardy because of a court case.

He said he has since escalated his training, in recognition of his slow reaction time.

"I've got to put in a little bit more work because my reflexes are slowing down a bit," he said.

"We've got two to four tenths of a second to make a result when you're shooting at a clay target."

Earlier, Australians Suzy Balogh and Deserie Baynes won gold in the women's double trap, compiling a winning total of 87 targets out of 100.

In what amounted to a three-team shoot-off, Canada was second with 84 and New Zealand was third with 78.

But there will be no minor medals awarded as there were only three competing nations.

And Australia also produced a storming finish to clinch gold in the men's 50m pistol pairs.

Daniel Repacholi and David Moore edged out India by four shots, with England taking the bronze medal a further four shots back.

Trailing midway though the best of six rounds series, Repacholi, from Victoria and Moore, from New South Wales, fired strongly over the closing rounds to seal gold at the Melbourne International Shooting Club.

Repacholi, 23, scored an individual total of 549 points and Moore compiled 537 for Australia's total of 1,086.

It was Repacholi's Commonwealth Games debut while Moore took his fourth medal following three silvers at Manchester in 2002 and Kuala Lumpur in 1998.

In the men's 10m air rifle pairs, the Australian team of Ben Burge and Matt Inabinet finished in ninth place, 32 shots behind gold medal winners India.

Bangladesh took the silver medal and Singapore bronze.

?AAP 2006

Oh and by the way Rugby 7's semi AUSTRALIA vs NEWZEALAND.. I can't wait... :)

Go_The_Doggies
17-03-06, 07:03 PM
Imo the whole nz didnt get a medal in the shootin cos there wasnt enough countries or something ffs thts ****, we came 3rd we shoulda got a medal!!!

Titanium_BD1103
18-03-06, 02:20 PM
Daniel Repacholi and David Moore got Bronze in the 10m air pistol and Emma Snowsill won the Gold in the Triathlon today...:D :D

Add to that Ryan Bayley winning the cycling last night and Shaun Finning also winning in the cycling along with Kate Bates... :D :D

Rochelle Gilmore got the silver in the same event as Kate...and the Womans Gymnasts team won another gold... IT IS A GOLDEN DAY AGAIN FOR AUSTRALIA... can't wait to see what tomorrow brings... :)

Here is the medal tally courtesy of news.ninemsn.com.au

1 Australia 13 9 8 31
2 India 5 3 0 8
3 England 4 8 4 16
4 Canada 2 6 4 12
5 New Zealand 2 2 1 5

Kallan
18-03-06, 04:51 PM
Country - Gold - Silver - Bronze Total
1. Australia 15 9 12 36
2. India 6 3 0 9
3. England 4 9 4 17
4. Scotland 3 1 3 7
5. Canada 2 8 4 14
6. New Zealand 2 3 2 7

form ninems.com.au

Go_The_Doggies
18-03-06, 07:50 PM
WOOHOO GO THE KIWIS IN THE SEVENS...man im soo glad tbh i cant be bothered writin a whole lot so yeh...tj will no my proudness:p:)

Titans#1
19-03-06, 09:50 AM

1 Australia 23 15 18 56
2 England 8 11 6 25
3 India 7 3 1 11
4 Scotland 4 4 3 11
5 South Africa 3 1 4 8
6 Canada 2 10 5 17
7 New Zealand 2 3 5 10
8 Malaysia 1 1 2 4
9 Sri Lanka 1 0 0 1
10 Bangladesh 0 1 0 1
10 Papua New Guinea 0 1 0 1
12 Wales 0 0 3 3
13 Singapore 0 0 2 2
14 Fiji 0 0 1 1
14 Isle of Man 0 0 1 1

From comm games site.

Go_The_Doggies
19-03-06, 09:53 AM
imo nz is still going well:D

im gutted bout hamish carter not winning gold tho :(
ohwell **** happens

Go_The_Doggies
19-03-06, 09:54 AM
oh and you 5 that said there is no competition.....there is...in teh sevens:D:D...where was australia??? 4th:p..where was NZ 1st:D:D:D

Titanium_BD1103
19-03-06, 01:01 PM
LOL and who is at the top of the Commowealth Games table... AUSTRALIA... :D :D

YAY everyone.. we got another one after a great night at the pool and the track.. :)

Kerryn McCann has won the Gold in the Women's Marathon.. congrats Kerryn on that.. :D :D

Dakink
19-03-06, 01:03 PM
Updated Tally from foxsports.com,

really goes to show how far ahead of the rest of the Commonwealth we are on a whole - not just one or two sportsmen.

Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 Australia 23 15 18 56
2 England 8 11 6 25
3 India 7 3 1 11
4 Scotland 4 4 3 11
5 Republic of South Africa 3 1 4 8
6 Canada 2 10 5 17
7 New Zealand 2 3 5 10
8 Malaysia 1 1 2 4
9 Sri Lanka 1 0 0 1
10 Bangladesh 0 1 0 1
11 Papua New Guinea 0 1 0 1
12 Wales 0 0 3 3
13 Singapore 0 0 2 2
14 Isle Of Man 0 0 1 1
15 Fiji 0 0 1 1

Queenslander
19-03-06, 03:58 PM
Just a question about channel nine's coverage of the games..........Why is Phil ****ing Gould commenting about cycling......why? Is he now an "expert" on all sports now? :laugh:

Go_The_Doggies
19-03-06, 03:59 PM
Just a question about channel nine's coverage of the games..........Why is Phil ****ing Gould commenting about cycling......why? Is he now an "expert" on all sports now? :laugh:
he clearly wants to be as cool as ray...but its just not happening imo :rotflmao:

Steelers
And why were the studio presenters in the morning AFL commentators?

Titans#1

My fave one is Darryl Eastlake with the weightlifting.. he's a classic.

Titanium_BD1103
19-03-06, 05:04 PM
Its a shooting shootout... :)

Australia's Russell Mark and Craig Trembath- Gold in Double Trap pairs
Australia's Dina Aspandiyarova and Lalita Yauhleuskaya- Gold in the 10m Pistol Pairs
We also won Gold in Synchronised Swimming.. :D :D

GO AUSSIE GO.. :D :D

Go_The_Doggies
19-03-06, 08:53 PM
We won bronze in synchronised swimming imo thats very cool:)

Titanium_BD1103
20-03-06, 08:56 PM
We have Australian Gold Everywhere.. :)

Matt Cowdry has just won the Gold in the 100m Freestyle EAD- For Athletes with a Disability

Lisa McIntosh won the 100m EAD Final

Natalie Grisham has won Gold in the Squash

Brooke Krueger-Billett won Gold in the Hammerthrow

Libby Lenton won the 50m Freestyle

Jane Saville won the 20km Walk

Lauryn Mark and Natalia Rahman won Gold in the Skeet Pairs

EDIT: I forgot the Traveller Joanna Vargas who won the 200m Backstroke

AND FINALLY... BUT MOST SPECIALLY.. :)

Leisel Jones won the 100m Breaststroke.. In a NEW WORLD RECORD time and did the 3 peat... 50, 100 and 200m in the same discipline... :D :D

OMG so much Gold.. so here is the ladder ATM.. :)

Country Gold Silver Bronze Total

1. Australia 39 34 30 103
2. England 17 18 15 50
3. India 11 8 3 22
4. Scotland 7 5 6 18
5. Canada 6 16 12 34

GO AUSTRALIA... we are past 100 only another 100 more or so to go.. :)

EDIT: Sophie Edington has won the 50m Backstroke in a new Games Record.. Giann Rooney is in Silver.. with Tayliah Zimmer in Bronze.. another 3 peat for the Aussies... :)

Titans#1
21-03-06, 10:38 AM

1 Australia 42 38 32 112
2 England 18 21 15 54
3 India 12 8 3 23
4 Scotland 8 5 6 19
5 Canada 7 16 14 37
6 South Africa 6 4 7 17
7 Malaysia 3 3 4 10
8 New Zealand 2 4 9 15
9 Nigeria 2 2 2 6
10 Jamaica 2 1 1 4

Titanium_BD1103
21-03-06, 02:47 PM
This Morning.. :D

Oenone Wood wins Gold in the Womens Time Trial... with Aussies Sara Carrigan and Kathy Watt making it a Trifecta.. :)

Lalita Yauhleuskaya wins gold in the women's 25m pistol

Nathan O'Neill has won Gold in the Mens 40km Time Trial... with Aussie Ben Day scoring Silver.. :D

Titanium_BD1103
21-03-06, 10:46 PM
Tonight.. :)

Australia Breaks a World Record and wins Gold in the Womens 100m Swimming Relay

Australia Breaks a Commonwealth Record and wins Gold in the Mens 100m Swimming Relay

Australia's Stephanie Rice wins Gold in the 100m Individual Medley

Alex Karapetyan won gold in the men's 94-kilogram class Weightlifting

Deborah Lovely won the women's 75 kilogram class weightlifting

Hollie Dykes won the women's floor routine

Damian Istria wins gymnastics gold for Australia in the men's horizontal bar

The medal tally from sportal.com.au

Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
1. Australia 53 47 41 141
2. England 21 25 20 66
3. India 14 9 4 27
4. Canada 11 20 16 47
5. South Africa 9 4 10 23
6. Scotland 8 6 9 23
7. Jamaica 4 2 2 8
8. Malaysia 3 3 4 10
9. New Zealand 2 4 10 16
10. Nigeria 2 3 2 7

Go_The_Doggies
22-03-06, 10:20 AM
Im so happy and proud that Dean Kent got a medal :) he's done so well, considering he nearly gave up the sport last year after the sudden death of his father :( But he's back...and done New Zealand proud:):)

..I'm also very proud of Gordon McCauley considering he got hit by a car on new years eve...now he comes back and gets bronze..while his wrist is still not right...now that is cool :thumbsup: ...he's also a southlander :p:p
The colourful Southlander, whose preparations were seriously dented by a hit-and-run driver in Auckland on New Year's Eve, became the only non-Australian to made the podium at St Kilda after Nathan O'Neill and Ben Day followed a green and gold trifecta in the women's race.

Its a real shame Sarah Ulmer had to pull out :hmm: i hope she races in the other race shes ment to be racing in.

Queen B(Beatrice Faumuina) didnt get a medal *shakes head* :!: .... really she should have imo.....my dad thinks shes should retire....

Titanium_BD1103
22-03-06, 12:31 PM
LOL I think so too Kim... she looked bad last night.. GO DANI.. she showed us the future of Discus is looking Green and Gold.. :D

Today...

Bree Cole and Sharleen Stratton win gold in the 3m springboard synchronised diving

Titanium_BD1103
22-03-06, 09:27 PM
Tonight... :D

John Steffenson blitzes them in the 400m to take Gold.. GO JOHN GO... :D :D

Chantelle Newbery and Loudy Tourky win Gold in 10m Synchronised Platform... :clap:

Dakink
23-03-06, 08:47 AM
Medal Table

1 Australia 57 51 45 153
2 England 22 28 22 72
3 India 16 11 7 34
4 Canada 14 22 17 53
5 Scotland 10 7 9 26
6 Republic of South Africa 9 4 10 23
7 Jamaica 5 2 3 10
8 New Zealand 4 5 12 21
9 Malaysia 3 4 5 12
10 Wales 3 1 7 11

Go_The_Doggies
23-03-06, 07:39 PM
Im soo happy for Valerie Vili :)
She so deserved to win gold!!
I had mini tears in my eyes watchin the medal ceromony...she was crying...she shall be missing her mum :(:(
GO ON YA VAL!!:D <3

Queenslander
23-03-06, 09:36 PM
:radio: Jana Pittman wins Gold, great race by Pittman achieving a new games record :clap: :clap:

Titanium_BD1103
23-03-06, 10:02 PM
Yep it was a great race.. GO JANA.. the local Girl has done us proud.. she is from Baulkham Hills Little Athletics Club.. :)

AUSTRALIA will always love ya Jana.. just try to stay away from the media and you will be fine.. ;)

Also tonight...

EDIT: Congrats to Scott Martin winning Gold in the Discus

Loudy Tourky wins Gold in the 10m Individual Platform in the Diving

The Australian Womens Basketball team wins Gold against New Zealand

Heath Francis wins Gold in the Mens 200m for EAD T46- Athletes with a Disability

Today...

Lalita Yauhleuskaya wins gold in the 10m air pistol

Bruce Scott wins gold in the Open Bore Shooting

Chris Rae wins gold in the 105kg Class in the Weightlifting, Damon Kelly Silver

CONGRATS TO ALL OUR AUSSIES ON DOING THEIR COUNTRY PROUD AND GO AUSTRALIA... :win: :win: :win:

From sportal.com.au

1. Australia 64 55 50 168
2. England 24 32 25 81
3. India 19 12 8 39
4. Canada 16 23 22 61
5. South Africa 10 8 10 28
6. Scotland 10 7 10 27
7. Jamaica 5 2 4 11
8. New Zealand 4 6 12 22
9. Malaysia 3 4 7 14
10. Kenya 3 3 5 11

Go_The_Doggies
24-03-06, 12:43 PM
We just got a silver in the 50k walk....forgot his name tho :o but aussie got the gold & bronze

Oooh and NZ got another Bronze too, cos they gave out two last night in the high jump..we got one...Angela someone lol...

0o0o0 also congrats to the tall ferns, i dont care we didnt win gold, but we gots silver so im happy:D

I think the womens hockey team(the black sticks) got a bronze too.

Super Cronk
24-03-06, 12:49 PM
When do the comm games end?

Go_The_Doggies
24-03-06, 12:58 PM
The closing ceromony is on sunday i think.

Oh we also got a medal in the lawn bowls...lol i was watchin it yesterday man...its actually really interesting to watch lol.

Steelers
25-03-06, 10:38 PM
Well at the moment Australia's medal tally stands at 79 Gold, 64 Silver and 64 Bronze... meaning that we have won 207 medals all up! :win: That is over double what some of our members expected us to get! WELL DONE GUYS AND GIRLS! YOU HAVE DONE AUSTRALIA PROUD! :clap: :clap: And remember to celebrate the Australian way after the closing ceremony... :beer: :beer: :beer:

Queenslander
26-03-06, 12:05 PM
Well at the moment Australia's medal tally stands at 79 Gold, 64 Silver and 64 Bronze... meaning that we have won 207 medals all up! :win: That is over double what some of our members expected us to get! WELL DONE GUYS AND GIRLS! YOU HAVE DONE AUSTRALIA PROUD! :clap: :clap: And remember to celebrate the Australian way after the closing ceremony... :beer: :beer: :beer:

;) The poll is actually for gold medals :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Steelers
26-03-06, 12:21 PM
;) The poll is actually for gold medals :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well if you looked a little harder you would see that...

POLL TITLE: How Many Medals Do you think Australia will win at the Commonwealth Games?

Does it say anything about Gold medals??? ;) lol :laugh:

Titanium_BD1103
26-03-06, 12:28 PM
LOL.. yeah I know Queenslander.. Remind me next time a big event is on.. to ensure that I do enter the poll right in the first place.. LOL.. :D :D

Wow I have been away for 2 days... so where do I start.. I think it will be easier just to post up the days summary for Saturday and Friday from sportal.com.au... so here it is.... ;)

From Friday...

Seven more on field day

Australia has added another seven gold, five silver and seven bronze medals to its tally on the third last day of the Melbourne Commonwealth Games, with the track and field team leading the way with four gold.

Nathan Deakes started the day off on the right foot, setting a new Games record with his time of three hours, 42 minutes and 53 seconds in the 50km walk, adding to the gold he had won in the 20knm walk earlier in the week. Christopher Erickson finished with bronze.

The night session at the MCG then exploded with Australian gold with pole vaulter Steve Hooker, long jumper Bronwyn Thompson and hammer thrower Stuart Rendell pushing Australia's tally to 13 athletics gold medals.

All three achieved Games records with Hooker vaulting 5.80, Rendell throwing 77.53 and Thompson leaping 6.97 metres. Dmitri Markov took silver behind Hooker, while Kerrie Taurima did the same behind Thompson. Eliza Stankovic finished with a bronze in the women's 800m EAD to complete a magic day for the host nation.

Australia's men's basketball team followed up the success of the women only 24 hours earlier, but had to fight hard before defeating New Zealand 81-76.

Kelvin Kerkow thrilled the fans out at the State Lawn Bowls Centre by taking out the singles gold medal over Wale's Robert Weale in a tie-breaker. He was so excited he ripped off his shirt in celebration.

The remaining gold of the day came in the men's synchronised 10m platform, where Matthew Helm and Robert Newbery won in comfortable fashion. While there was no more gold for our divers, Sharleen Stratton and Kathryn Blackshaw took silver and bronze in the women's 1m springboard and Newberry and Steven Barnett grabbed bronze in the men's 3m synchro.

The gold rush didn't continue for Australia in the shooting with Lauryn Mark losing a shoot-off and claiming silver in the women's skeet and Ben Burge claiming a bronze medal in the men's 50m rifle 3 positions.

And there was bronze for the Australian team in the team event in the rhythmic gymnastics, as well as to Darren Gardiner in the open EAD powerlifting.

From Saturday...

88 gold looms large

Australia needs a further nine gold medals on the final day of competition of the Melbourne Commonwealth Games if it is to match the expected haul of 88 after the track and field stars led a haul of seven gold on the penultimate day.

Australia won both 4x400m relays in contrasting fashion, with the men's team of John Steffensen, Christopher Troode, Mark Ormrod and Clinton Hill blitzing their event, while the women's team of Jana Pittman, Rosemary Hayward, Caitlin Willis and Tamsyn Lewis finished second only for England to be disqualified for running outside their lane.

The other gold in athletics came in the women's pole vault, where Kym Howe led an Australian quinella with a Commonwealth Games record vault of 4.62m. Tatiana Grigorieva grabbed silver. William Hamlyn Harris picked up a silver medal in the men's javelin, while there were four athletics bronzes, to Mark Fountain a dramatic men's 1500m, Olivier Dziubal in the men's javelin, Alwyn Jones in the men's triple jump and the women's 4x100m relay team.

Australia picked up two boxing gold in the afternoon with Brad Pitt winning his heavyweight final and Jarrod Fletcher successful in the middleweight, while in the evening Matthew Helm took out the men's 10m platform at the diving pool. There was also a silver to Chantelle Newbery and a bronze to Kathryn Blackshaw in the women's 3m springboard.

Australia's other gold of the day came when Hockeyroos took the final 1-0 over India, with Nikki Hudson scoring the winner.

Bruce Quick won bronze in the men's 25m pistol while Clive Barton was unlucky to get silver in the men's skeet. The remaining medal of the day came in the women's doubles tennis, where Jian Fang Lay and Miao Miao won their bronze medal match. Teammate William Henzell gets his chance at gold in the men's singles on the final day.

Australia's netballers will play New Zealand in the final, while Natalie Grinham will be looking to take her gold medal haul to three in the squash doubles.

WOW what an achievement.. GO AUSTRALIA.. THIS IS HUGE.. WE HAVE DONE SO WELL.. I HAVE TO SAY CONGRATS TO all those who have participated.. YOU HAVE DONE AUSTRALIA SO PROUD.. :D :D

But it's not over yet....

TODAY...

Natalie Bates wins the Women's Road Race

Natalie Grisham and Joseph Kneipp win the Mixed Squash... :D :D

GO AUSTRALIA... :win: :win:

P.S. looks like myself and 6 others got this one right.. we have hit 80 gold.. and are headed for 90.. what an effort.. :)

Go_The_Doggies
26-03-06, 05:49 PM
woop woop

we won, we beat australia in the netball

i always knew we would :win:

im so happy....we are now that golden ferns..woop woop...TAKE THAT AUSTRALIA :purdy: :purdy:

Titanium_BD1103
27-03-06, 10:30 AM
Ah Kimmeh... enjoy that while it lasts... we have beaten you in almost everything else LOL.. :laugh: :laugh:

WELL DONE AUSTRALIA AND GO AUSTRALIA GO.. :D :D

84 Gold, 69 Silver, 68 Bronze... 221 Medals

Not only that... but we revealed many great up and coming stars of the future... in the Athletics, Swimming, Diving, Boxing and Gymnastics Arenas... to go with our dominant players in the Swimming and Cycling arenas.

I have to say the 3 who impressed me the most over these games would have to be Stephanie Rice... who showed we have a new medley queen of the pool.. YAY, Melissa Wu... who is going to be a superstar of the future, I mean she is only 13 and scored a 10 in a dive, and John Steffensen... because he is just a true talent... he runs like the wind and has a confidence about him we haven't seen in a long while.. :)

OVERALL THOUGH take a bow Australia... YOU HAVE DONE US ALL SO PROUD AND CONGRATS AND THANKS FOR AN AMAZING 12 days.. good luck for the future and we look forward to hearing many great things for many years to come.. :D

Go_The_Doggies
27-03-06, 02:41 PM
Well TJ...New Zealand have dominated in Netball for the last 3 years *remembers watching the netball world cup at school*....so it shall continue for lots more as we have lots of rising stars:D...(our under 19 or under 20 team won the world cup:))

:D hehe