PDA

View Full Version : Round 15: BULLDOGS vs TITANS

DIEHARD
08-06-18, 08:42 PM
1:00pm Saturday 16TH June 2018
Belmore Sports Ground

NZFan
11-06-18, 02:13 PM
I'm hoping that we might see Kane back this week. We don't seem to be able to create try opportunities unless they are off kicks. It's nothing against AJ, I think he's been going alright but he's a fullback long term and it can't hurt to ease him into first grade like what they have been doing with Mo. That left edge defence was no better without Kane last weekend.

Highlights of Tweeds game:

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/20182/06/1/intrust-super-cup-round-14-highlights-tweed-v-capras/

DavidBouveng
11-06-18, 02:27 PM
I'm hoping that we might see Kane back this week. We don't seem to be able to create try opportunities unless they are off kicks. It's nothing against AJ, I think he's been going alright but he's a fullback long term and it can't hurt to ease him into first grade like what they have been doing with Mo. That left edge defence was no better without Kane last weekend.

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/20182/06/1/intrust-super-cup-round-14-highlights-tweed-v-capras/

wheres the thumbs up when i need it

- - - Updated - - -

obviously its a level down from NRL, but Kane sets up one and scores the other and is responsible for two classy tries.

That pass to his runner on the out is exactly what Ash and AJ cant do ( yet for AJ - i know he is young )

Kane running wide off Ash with options short, long and medium, plus Gordon sweeping would taste nice right around now.

JunctionBlock
11-06-18, 03:58 PM
I suppose it's only beneficial if he is in our plans for next years team and a new contract.

DavidBouveng
11-06-18, 08:39 PM
very True JB.

i'm resigned to him probably not being here next year, but we haven't played any better since he has been out of the team,so lets hope Garth is willing to keep assessing him and his card isn't marked

Mr Bods
11-06-18, 09:02 PM
Did CartWrong play QCUP on the weekend??

ja4220
12-06-18, 05:45 AM
He isn’t on the Seagulls team list according to the QRL website.
http://live.qrl.com.au/match/748c4389df13312ed/dae8409c6343e5df8

Mr Bods
12-06-18, 01:00 PM
If CartWrong didn’t play any footy last week, what do you guys think of that decision?
I could go on a rant but I’d rather know what you guys think.

Hail Sezer
12-06-18, 01:06 PM
If CartWrong didn’t play any footy last week, what do you guys think of that decision?
I could go on a rant but I’d rather know what you guys think.

We would probably need to know why he didn't play before ranting too hard mate. Could be a number of reasons.

JunctionBlock
12-06-18, 03:07 PM
https://i.imgur.com/9eLeDGB.png

- - - Updated - - -

Time to see what Olive could have done for us if he stayed injury free.

Mr Bods
12-06-18, 03:22 PM
I want to see something from Morgan Boyle.
Imagine he had the mentality of Hipgrave.

shamus
12-06-18, 04:22 PM
Cartwright 18...me thinks he will play

Upthetits
12-06-18, 04:46 PM
I want to see something from Morgan Boyle.
Imagine he had the mentality of Hipgrave.

That was be amazing to see...if only

teke
12-06-18, 06:37 PM
You get to see it this weekend. His name is Klemmer

DIEHARD
13-06-18, 11:47 PM
NRL video preview of Bulldogs vs Titans https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/13/bulldogs-v-titans---round-15/

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 02:08 AM
Titans cult hero to play 100th NRL game against Bulldogs
https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au

IT’S something Anthony Don never thought he’d be discussing.

The Titans cult hero will line up in his 100th NRL game tomorrow, a mark he never thought he’d achieve.

The Grafton product, who didn’t believe he would even be good enough to play in the state league for Burleigh, was amazed to have made his NRL debut, let alone be on the cusp of celebrating 100 games for the one club.

Don’s is a story of perseverance as much as talent.

It’s about hard work and dedication and enjoying the ride along the way.

And it’s a reminder in an era in which schoolboys are contracted to clubs in their teens and have never had a job or life experience outside of football, that rugby league is only a game — and that playing in the NRL is a privilege and treasure to be enjoyed.

“I guess that’s just part of my personality — I don’t really rate myself that much, at footy or anything,” Don said.

Asked if he ever thought he’d be talking about playing 100 NRL games, Don was almost embarrassed.

“Of course not. I didn’t think I was good enough for Burleigh,” he said.

“Obviously it’s an honour and something I’ll look back on when I’m finished as a great achievement.

“I’m happy to play 100 for the Titans, it’s a great milestone that I’m proud of.”

It came about fortuitously really.

Don’s breakout 2010 season for the Grafton Ghosts attracted the attention of Queensland Cup clubs as he scored a record 40 tries in the Northern Rivers Regional Rugby League competition, along with 71 goals in a 302-point season haul.

“There were a couple of Queensland Cup teams that were making some contact through coaching staff at Grafton and friends of friends but they were teams like Redcliffe and Norths Brisbane and I didn’t really want to move to Redcliffe,” Don said.

“I thought the easiest option would be to go to the Gold Coast.

“My brother was living here and I had a lot of friends here from Grafton, so I contacted Burleigh and I had a meeting with the coach Paul Bradley and the CEO Damien Driscoll and had a conversation with them.

“And I think my mum may have sent some newspaper clippings behind my back.”

Others may have believed in Don but his own conviction took a bit longer.

“I remember my train of thought was: ‘There’s only two teams on the Gold Coast, I can’t be in the best two teams’ worth of players on the Coast’,” he said.

“But I thought I had to give it a crack because that was the next progression.”

A strong season with Burleigh led to Don being given a train-and-trial deal with the Titans and while he arrived at just 89kg, he grabbed his chance and hasn’t looked back since making his debut against Parramatta in Round 6, 2013.

The grandson of former Kangaroos tourist and coaching great Ron Willey, Don feels privileged to be making a living doing something he loves.

“I’d be playing regardless. If I wasn’t playing footy, I’d probably be playing AFL or I’d just be playing any sport really,” he said.

“But footy’s the sport I grew up playing and I’ve got family tradition in the sport, so it was always going to be my No. 1 pick and I’m lucky to have done what I’ve done so far.”

Don will turn 31 at the end of the season but hopes his late start in the NRL could extend his shelf life, hopefully with the Titans, with whom he has opened negotiations for next year.

“My body’s fresh at the moment and I could definitely see myself playing for the next two or three years, no doubt,” he said.

“It just depends what happens with injuries and form and things like that.”

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 02:13 AM
Titans must overcome Belmore Oval emotion: James
Neil Cadigan https://www.nrl.com/

Gold Coast skipper Ryan James has played down the relevance of Saturday's clash with Canterbury prop David Klemmer, who gained what could have been James' spot in the NSW line-up for Origin I before a late change of heart by selectors.

Yet there is no doubt Blues coach Brad Fittler will be watching James' performance closely against Klemmer and the under-fire Aaron Woods as a genuine test of whether James is ready for the Origin arena.

James will go into the Belmore Oval clash without Queensland prop Jarrod Wallace because of suspension, and interchange prop Max King who won't play again this season after being booked in for a shoulder reconstruction.

That means Jack Stockwell [who starts] and Morgan Boyle, whose only football since round eight has been a run off the bench in the Intrust Super Cup, fill the void alongside an under-pressure James.

James says he will undoubtedly seek to get the measure of Klemmer and Woods, but says dealing with the extra passion the Bulldogs will show during their once-a-year appearance at their historic suburban ground is the biggest focus.

"Brenko Lee spoke to us about Belmore being the Bulldogs' spiritual home and how they grow an extra leg there, like the Tigers at Leichhardt, so it's going to be a tough challenge," James said.

"Woods and Klemmer are both world class players, Australia and NSW reps.

"But it was the same having the Burgess boys running at us last week. So we will try to take the same plan into this game and try to calm their middle down.

"It is always good to go out there against the best front-rowers. But I will go out there to play my best game and that will be the goal, to try to get over both of them.

"That's what I try to do every game, get over the top of your opposing numbers and that this game won't be any different."

James said the Bulldogs' form is better than their position on the ladder indicates and they will be much tougher to beat at Belmore than at ANZ Stadium. And former Bulldog, now Titans centre Brenko Lee, has warned his teammates of that.

"Brenko warned that they will came out with a bit of emotion and we'll have to weather the storm and get into the grind with them," James said.

"They have lost six games by just six points or less and have been in the contest just about every game. And we go down there a couple of players short, so we know what we're in for."

Meanwhile, Titans coach Garth Brennan says the club will look at promoting players from within their feeder teams Burleigh Bears and Tweed Heads Seagulls to fill their 30-player roster by the June 30 deadline, rather than look for token signings from other clubs to meet the NRL's requirements.

With forward Joe Greenwood released to return to England to take up a contract with Wigan, the Titans will be back to 27 players [although they have two on their second-tier cap].

5 Year Contract
16-06-18, 07:38 AM
Im optimistic for this one. Bulldogs will either be pulling out the stops for their departing stars or will roll over due to the shambles at their club. As i say before every game i'd love to see: Fast start, no silly penalities, no dropped balls and convert opportunities. Can we not start every game on the backfoot and for gods sake can we have 13 men on the field for the full 80 minutes!

BundyTitan
16-06-18, 07:51 AM
Need a win today and we've got a big chance but not if we don't hold the ball and if we keep giving away dumb penalties. There's no wonder we leak points and can't score when we have the ball, we are too buggered from defending. Reckon James will have a massive game with RCG now out for Origin 2 and the rest of the forwards will need to follow the way and lift against the likes of Klemmer, Jackson and Faitala-Mariner. Hopefully can get the W for Don's 100.

Mr Bods
16-06-18, 09:09 AM
Surely our players are as sick of losing as we are.
I really don’t want to be on here tonight having another night of lamenting.
We are all Nice humans and deserve a break.

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 01:06 PM
Was talking to my mum, huge Titans fan, said if we don't win this we can't win anything. And she points out that the game is at Belmore and the Bulldogs will probably rise. No easy runs for us.

Love to be there though. I hope they continue Titans matches at Belmore and I can get a piece of that one day.

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 01:22 PM
Front of the Bully

http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/16.4.jpg

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 01:24 PM
Titans heavyweights celebrate cult hero’s 100th game
https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

ANTHONY Don’s century for the Titans is a celebration for the late bloomer.

In a sport where talented athletes are identified and developed from a young age, Don’s NRL debut in 2013 at the age of 25 was an aberration.

But his dedication to the game he loves has won the admiration of his teammates and Titans coaching staff, who have praised the cult hero ahead of his 100th match against the Bulldogs in Sydney on Saturday.

Titans captain Ryan James, a close friend of Don’s said the winger had not expected to even make the NRL level.

“I think he was stoked to get one game but for someone to come through and debut late and play 100 games is a massive achievement,” James said.

“For him to do what he has, debut late and then just keep playing, it’s a massive achievement for him and

“He’s a massive part of our team. Over the past six years, you could probably count the number of balls he’s dropped on one hand.

“We know he’s always just going to be that stable player for us and he always has been.

“He just seems to get the job done. He’s actually quite athletic — although he doesn’t look it — and he’s a great finisher.

“He just brings morale around the team and he’s a great mate really.”

Don won the Paul Broughton Medal as the Titans’ best and fairest last year and James said his success after being outside the development system was a great example for other kids.

“He did it in reverse — he went and did his Uni degree and then went and taught at schools — and he’s just another Northern Rivers kid playing for the team that was produced here for us,” James said.

“I’m probably not more proud of anyone that’s reached 100 games than I am of him.”

Titans coach Garth Brennan said Don’s story was a great example for those dreaming of an NRL career.

“He’s a local guy who came good later in his career and it’s one of those stories that everyone loves,” Brennan said.

“It’s a feel-good story for someone to get a crack later in their career and to go on to play 100 first grade games is a testament to Donny, that’s for sure. It’s an important thing that if you believe in it and you want to work hard and you never give up, then good things can happen to those people.

“Donny never gave up, he kept trying hard and enjoying his footy and things have come for him and now he’s enjoying his 100th game.”

Don hoped he could provide motivation for others wanting to follow their sporting dreams.

“It could be a good thing in the long run,” he said.

“It might be able to prolong your career like mine will.

“I wasn’t making any of those (junior) teams, I came a completely different path.

“I’m essentially getting towards the back end of my career.

“Other people, they might be thinking: ‘What am I going to do and what’s the next chapter in my life going to be?’

“But I’ve got a teaching degree and I’m studying business so hopefully things will fall into place when that time comes.

“I just realises how lucky I am.”

JunctionBlock
16-06-18, 02:06 PM
Proctor finally found a hole.

ozynorts
16-06-18, 02:11 PM
Haaaaa Gordon nearly blows the try and does a streak to score

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 02:14 PM
http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/16.10-1.jpg

http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/16.7-1.jpg

http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/16.7-1.jpg

http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/16.8-1.jpg

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 02:15 PM
Looking good so far gang.

JunctionBlock
16-06-18, 02:16 PM
Even the commentators "what do you need to do to get an advantage as a Titan?"

Good easy shift for a double for Gordon.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking good so far gang.

You're mum would be pleased.

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 02:22 PM
You're mum would be pleased.

Sure would. She is a passionate fan, loves league. Also sewed me more than one big Titans flag.

I'm multi-screening HK v Japan RL and Bulldogs v Titans now.

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 02:24 PM
Great run by Gordon. Must be 70-80m there. I can feel my endorphins rising.

JunctionBlock
16-06-18, 02:25 PM
Gordon is killing it. Good vision

BundyTitan
16-06-18, 02:28 PM
Wow what a start, this is beautiful to watch. Gordon playing like he is 22 again, Proctor hitting holes and James is a certainty for Origin. Need to keep it up and hopefully the Dogs keep playing awful.

JunctionBlock
16-06-18, 02:30 PM
Klemmer living up to Teke's hype

BundyTitan
16-06-18, 02:30 PM
OH MY LORD THE DON, thought he had stuffed it but never doubt the man

ozynorts
16-06-18, 02:31 PM
Is Don is good.

DIEHARD
On ya Don with that amazing aerial effort to score in your 100th game.

JunctionBlock
Is Don is Goooooood. Give him a pen at half time.

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 02:32 PM
Games like this suck me into buying a new Titans jersey or something. Hope we can keep it up. Long way to go.

22-0 14 mins to go until half time.

I think I'll give my nuisance Bulldogs friend a call at half time and give him a rev up.

gotitans101_
16-06-18, 02:34 PM
Can we replace Sami? He doesn't do anything.

JunctionBlock
16-06-18, 02:42 PM
And Sami fulfils the jinx.

- - - Updated - - -

Arrrrggghhhhh we're starting to take things lightly.

- - - Updated - - -

Refs evening up the penalties before half time.

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 02:43 PM
Crazy bounce there.

Fortunately we defended our line on that set. 4mins left in first half.

gotitans101_
16-06-18, 02:45 PM
that wasn't forward.

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 02:47 PM
Shame the Bulldogs scored in that, there was a forward pass in that passage. Especially with just seconds left in the second half.

JunctionBlock
16-06-18, 02:49 PM
Hmmm, no obstruction, if I see the video ref walking across a road I guess I can run him over because he's not in the way?

Mr Bods
16-06-18, 02:51 PM
Very annoyed with our attitude from the time we were up 22-0
Brennan needs to send them out very focussed for the second half

gotitans101_
16-06-18, 02:51 PM
Gordon's hand was under the ball too. But it's okay, we can overturn that when it's the Titans.

Dooldog76
16-06-18, 02:54 PM

Probably because we are not used to being in this position. Ever.

rj62
16-06-18, 03:00 PM

Why focus on the last 5 minutes of the half what about the first 35 minutes, jesus .

- - - Updated - - -

This , to me, is just brilliant to watch, Proctor finally running into holes, defence standing up, nominal errors, halves running at the line , Don being Don.

I just want to pile more on in the 2nd just like the first.

Cmon boys keep at it

Mr Bods
16-06-18, 03:02 PM
Why focus on the last 5 minutes of the half what about the first 35 minutes, jesus .

- - - Updated - - -

This , to me, is just brilliant to watch, Proctor finally running into holes, defence standing up, nominal errors, halves running at the line , Don being Don.

Cmon boys keep at it

Jesus yourself
I’m talking the last 15mins not the last 5mins from when we were 22-0 up as I clearly stated
We got sloppy
If we don’t reset we can blow this

gotitans101_
16-06-18, 03:03 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Cmon boys keep at it

It's great to watch, but don't forget, it's only the Bulldogs.

rj62
16-06-18, 03:06 PM
It's great to watch, but don't forget, it's only the Bulldogs.

Talk about glass half full guys, take it when it’s there irrespective who its against.

Would you prefer you’d be 20 points down ?

- - - Updated - - -

Jesus yourself
I’m talking the last 15mins not the last 5mins from when we were 22-0 up as I clearly stated
We got sloppy
If we don’t reset we can blow this

You missed the point......there’s a lot more positives than negatives so far.

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 03:07 PM
OK I'm back and only watching the Titans.

Hong Kong just won their first ever international test against a very tough Japan in Tokyo.

gotitans101_
16-06-18, 03:09 PM
Talk about glass half full guys, take it when it’s there irrespective who its against.

- - - Updated - - -

Well it'd be nice to be 20 up against a decent team rather than a completely rabble.

JunctionBlock
16-06-18, 03:11 PM
Congratulations to the Hong Kong RL team. We're not winning the contest for ground position here. Hope we find our first half spark.

Suns gone down so hopefully not an issue from now.

Mr Bods
16-06-18, 03:11 PM
Next try all important for mine
Dogs score next and they’ll have a sniff

JunctionBlock
16-06-18, 03:12 PM
Wow, what a try. Come on guys, if we are going to whinge about this then I think it might be time to lay off the keyboard.

BundyTitan
16-06-18, 03:14 PM
WOW incredible try, why can’t we play like this every week. No silly knock ons, no dumb penalties and patience in attack. Having a great game in all aspects.

Mr Bods
16-06-18, 03:15 PM
Massive...that’s the steadier we needed

gotitans101_
16-06-18, 03:17 PM
Wow, what a try. Come on guys, if we are going to whinge about this then I think it might be time to lay off the keyboard.

But can we back it up against the Tigers next week? Doubt it. Sick of getting excited over a team that breaks your heart the week after.

ozynorts

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly right. All we can ask, regardless of ladder position is that we beat the teams lower than us in the ladder and we are currently 20 points up in the Dogs.
Stop trying to find negatives Bods, you might actually find it more enjoyable

DIEHARD
Ah damn it. Very disappointed to see us concede a 70m try to a drop ball.

It's not over.

Dooldog76
16-06-18, 03:18 PM
I’m sick of the fox commentary. All they want is for the bulldogs to win. Over it.

JunctionBlock
16-06-18, 03:18 PM
But can we back it up against the Tigers next week? Doubt it. Sick of getting excited over a team that breaks your heart the week after.

Dunno, enjoying this week rather than worrying about something I have no control over.

Mr Bods
16-06-18, 03:20 PM

I stand by that the last 15mins of the first half as worrying
That try was a relief to me
You don’t want to unleash the dogs of war

ozynorts
16-06-18, 03:22 PM
I stand by that the last 15mins of the first half as worrying
That try was a relief to me
You don’t want to unleash the dogs of war

Dogs of Bore more like it these days

JunctionBlock
Surprised Brenko didn't back himself against Frawley there. He used to be a speedster, not sure why he isn't unleashing it.

gotitans101_
God dammit Taylor.

Mr Bods
16-06-18, 03:23 PM
Oh god we let them score straight away
I’m done for today in here
Might message again tonight
Fingers crossed

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 03:23 PM
I’m sick of the fox commentary. All they want is for the bulldogs to win. Over it.

I think they just barrack what side most of the viewers are on or sympathetic to.

gotitans101_
16-06-18, 03:24 PM
Jeez Gordon's been good. Even got the fend out today.

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 03:24 PM
Dogs have some momentum here.

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 03:25 PM
Jeez Gordon's been good.

That was a great fend.

JunctionBlock
16-06-18, 03:27 PM
What are the Dogs of Poor going to do with Mbye leaving after this game. They are dog gone awful.

Real chance for another try. Hope for a good attacking set and some good finishes. Brimson needs to step it up a gear.

ozynorts
16-06-18, 03:28 PM
And we score again.

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 03:28 PM
Who is this player wearing 11? Well done Proctor. Can't remember a better game from him in a Titans jersey. :nope:

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 03:29 PM
What are the Dogs of Poor going to do with Mbye leaving after this game. They are dog gone awful.

I just can't understand how much of a wreck Parramatta and Canterbury are. And I don't even know where they would start.

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 03:30 PM
If we win this it'll make the record between the clubs stand at 16 games with 8 wins each.

Boonarga
16-06-18, 03:33 PM
Lol at Mbye. His “effort” on Proctor would have made Cartwright proud.

JunctionBlock
16-06-18, 03:38 PM
I just can't understand how much of a wreck Parramatta and Canterbury are. And I don't even know where they would start.

I would like to suggest that Hayne is responsible (somehow) for both.

Hail Sezer
16-06-18, 03:40 PM
Don’s ability to be effective in broken field play is very poor

Should be bread and butter for a a winger

JunctionBlock
16-06-18, 03:48 PM
Don’s ability to be effective in broken field play is very poor

Should be bread and butter for a a winger

I think sometimes he surprises with his lanky efforts in poorer defensive teams but lacks the speed for a length of the field try.

These obviously aren't the same refs as Origin if that was called forward to Don.

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 03:50 PM
I'll start dialing my Bulldogs mate...

JunctionBlock
16-06-18, 03:54 PM
And it's official, Klemmer is a piece of ****. Hope he gets sited for that and the high shot and loses his origin spot.

- - - Updated - - -

Great win against a team that we should have beaten. I enjoyed that. Hope we take some confidence into next week.

rj62
16-06-18, 03:55 PM

Couldn’t agree more. Go boys

gotitans101_
16-06-18, 03:57 PM
**** you Klemmer.

Good win boys. Please back it up next week against the Tigers.

rj62
16-06-18, 03:57 PM
Who is this player wearing 11? Well done Proctor. Can't remember a better game from him in a Titans jersey. :nope:

Was thinking the same - best game for us since signing

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 03:58 PM
And it's official, Klemmer is a piece of ****. Hope he gets sited for that and the high shot and loses his origin spot.

- - - Updated - - -

Great win against a team that we should have beaten. I enjoyed that. Hope we take some confidence into next week.

Yea and apparently our team will be staying down in Sydney in preparation.

rj62
16-06-18, 03:59 PM
Well it'd be nice to be 20 up against a decent team rather than a completely rabble.

I don’t think our opposition give a toss when they beat us , they take the 2.

Exactly what we’’re going to do.

Great effort guys!

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 04:00 PM
I'm a realist but damn, I'll take any positive that comes along and enjoy it. Because Rugby League is my antidote to this dark world.

(That's also doubly the reason why it is so painful when we are aimless and inexplicably rubbish)

BundyTitan
16-06-18, 04:02 PM
That is the sort of game that makes us love the Titans. To be fair the Dogs were absolutely woeful, but we were outstanding especially in that opening 20-25 minutes. A great win which gives us a bit of breathing room from the bottom of the table. We need to turn up like that every week and cut out the silly errors and penalties. Up the mighty Titans.

gotitans101_
16-06-18, 04:03 PM
We have to back that performance up against the Tigers....or else it really doesn't mean a lot. Though we'll be missing some troops (Arrow, Wallace and maybe James).

Mr Bods
16-06-18, 04:11 PM
Enjoy the evening
So great to have a win
A rare victory beer and a scotch later tonight
Good times

JunctionBlock
16-06-18, 04:11 PM
Yea and apparently our team will be staying down in Sydney in preparation.

I don't think there are any club games next week. Origin on Sunday and internationals.

ozynorts
16-06-18, 04:14 PM
The positives to take from today.
We identified a weakness, formulated a game plan and executed it.
Players were pushing up in support, running into holes and taking their chances.
The one BIG caution is that the dogs are rubbish in attack so our defence was never really challenged. The Tigers will ask a lot of questions and we will be missing James, Arrow and Wallace.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think there are any club games next week. Origin on Sunday and internationals.

Yep do the boys can go to the Canterbury leagues club and enjoy the win.

JunctionBlock
16-06-18, 04:15 PM
Am I missing something? Our next game is the 1st of July. Surely they will back up from origin this sunday (24/6)?

ozynorts
16-06-18, 04:27 PM
Good point JB, forgot this is the rep round so yes we should have a full team.

gotitans101_
16-06-18, 04:28 PM
Am I missing something? Our next game is the 1st of July. Surely they will back up from origin this sunday (24/6)?

forgot. Yeah, should have a full team by then.

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 04:54 PM

Oh thanks for that. Looking forward to the Pacific Tests and the Sunday Origin.

GCTTSD
16-06-18, 05:04 PM
I feel like the team loses any structure we have with rein at hooker, he always trys to run and then passes to anyone when there's no room to run

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 05:07 PM
Press conference.
https://www.titans.com.au/news/2018/06/16/post-match-press-conference/

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 05:07 PM
Match highlights https://www.titans.com.au/news/2018/06/16/match-highlights/

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 05:10 PM
Bulldogs slump to worst NRL start in 54 years with loss to Titans
https://wwos.nine.com.au/

Bulldogs slump to worst NRL start in 54 years with loss to Titans
Canterbury have slumped to their worst start in 54 seasons after being thumped 32-10 by Gold Coast.

The Bulldogs had much to play for at their spiritual home of Belmore Sportsground, with Moses Mbye featuring in his last NRL game for the club, but they were woeful in the six tries to two defeat.

With just three wins under their belt this year, it's the club's worst start through 14 games since their wooden spoon season in 1964.

The 22-point loss was the side's worst under Dean Pay and saw them slip to 15th on the ladder.

Halfback Ash Taylor was chief destroyer, setting up three of the Titans' six tries.

Michael Gordon ran for 183 metres, grabbed two first-half tries and made four linebreaks, while Ryan James made a compelling case for a NSW call-up, racking up 121 metres, 44 tackles, a linebreak, two tackle breaks and a try in a 73-minute effort.

Gordon's early double had the Titans scoring at nearly a point a minute.

James went into the game looking to prove something to the NSW selectors with Reagan Campbell-Gillard (broken jaw) ruled out for Origin II and made a big statement when he powered past Blues prop David Klemmer to score.

Reimis Smith looked like he was set to run 90 metres untouched however the play was called back because of a Bulldogs touch.

And from the next play the Titans spread it from the scrum and went 22-0 up when a flying Anthony Don crossed in their corner.

The Bulldogs' only joy in the first-half came when Mbye - who departs for the Wests Tigers in a mid-season move next week - crossed in the shadows of the break.

After leading 22-4 at halftime, the Titans extended their lead when they ran it on the last and Taylor showed great vision to chip for an unmarked Phillip Sami, effectively sealing the game.

Klemmer could come under the scrutiny of the match review committee for a late shot on AJ Brimson in the final minutes.

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 05:25 PM
Pride in the jersey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6YloZwR9Vw&feature=youtu.be

Titanic
16-06-18, 05:34 PM
Dogs had Klemmer, Woods, Jackson, Eastwood, Marina, Hopiate, Mbye and Tolman who are all quality players so stop belittling our effort. I think we went better because we didn’t have Untrustworthy players. Good win.

rj62
16-06-18, 05:34 PM
Pride in the jersey.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 05:36 PM
Titans gate-crash Mbye's farewell party
https://www.titans.com.au/

The Bulldogs couldn't deliver a win for Moses Mbye in his last game in the blue-and-white jersey but Ryan James might have done enough to earn a NSW Origin spot as the Titans overwhelmed Canterbury 32-10 at Belmore Oval on Saturday.

Mbye did score a try – his 15th and last for the club in 94 games – on the half-time bell, but the game was all but gone after just 40 minutes at 22-4. And so is the Bulldogs' 2018 Telstra Premiership season.

The loss was the Dogs' fourth in succession and 11th for the year.

The Titans were impressive at a ground that is not easy on visiting teams at the best of times, especially now with the western end decorated in all the emblems and years of Canterbury's eight premierships. The Titans are still searching for their first title after 11 years in first grade.

It was only the fifth win of the year for rookie coach Garth Brennan but he has all the ingredients to build on with his smattering of Origin and international players like Kevin Proctor, Jarrod Wallace, Jai Arrow, Michael Gordon and Nathan Peats. James could now be added to that list.

The game was effectively over when Anthony Don scored a 24th-minute try in the right corner in his 100th NRL game. That shot the score out to 22-0.

But the intrigue was definitely still there as an Origin spot opened up in the NSW forward pack with the broken jaw to Penrith's Reagan Campbell-Gillard in Friday night's loss to the Roosters at Allianz Stadium.

The Titans skipper is most likely locked in a tussle with Dragons forward Tariq Sims for the call-up.

When James pushed through the tackle of David Klemmer and Aiden Tolman in the 20th minute to score near the posts, he would've earned a big tick in Brad Fittler's coaching sheet.

Remember it was Klemmer who was given a Blues spot for Origin I at the 11th hour because of his strong showing against Wests Tigers in round 12.

Klemmer may have a nervous wait while the match review committee scrutinises his hit on Titans five-eighth AJ Brimson in the 79th minute.

The Bulldogs prop appeared to blindside the No.6, although the referees took no action.

James was rested in the 74th minute but little wonder after 51 tackles, 126 metres and 11 hit-ups.

Underneath most of the good work of the Titans was the very talented head and boot of halfback Ash Taylor. He handled twice in Phillip Sami's 45th-minute try, but it was the class of his superb corner kick that hung in the breeze and fell right into his winger's hands that even had Bulldogs fans applauding.

The fans stayed on their feet as just minutes later Bulldogs centre John Olive picked up a loose pass from the Titans and sprinted 70 metres to score under the posts.

And then again they were disappointed when Kevin Proctor ran off a Taylor pass in the 58th minute through feeble defence for the visitors' sixth try of the afternoon.

The Bulldogs had won their past three games against the Titans but they didn't look dominant at any stage this time.

As impressive as the win was for Gold Coast it only shifts them from 12th to 11th on the ladder. So they will need to string a few more wins together in the remaining 10 rounds.

It was the Michael Gordon show early in Saturday's game. He scored two tries within six minutes – converted both – and then made another break upfield that eventually led to the James try. Gordon converted that too.

That meant 14 points in 20 minutes by the Titans fullback, but he wasn't done for the afternoon. It was his pass that put Don over in the right corner.

By half-time Gordon had already racked up 155 metres, a line-break assist, a try assist, alongside his two individual four-pointers. For game's end he had 194 metres, four line-breaks and three tackle-breaks to add to his points haul.

News & Notes ... The Titans had not won outside Queensland this season until today... winger Anthony Don played his 100th game...his seventh try for the season here was the 60th of his career – sitting at No.2 behind David Mead (67) for Titans highest try scorer....Bulldogs forward Clay Priest went off for an HIA in the 44th minute and didn't return.... the Bulldogs have won only one of their past six games at Belmore... After the rep weekend bye, the Bulldogs head up the M1 to play Newcastle, while the Titans head to another historic suburban ground in Leichhardt Oval to face the Wests Tigers...Crowd: 6,874

gotitans101_
16-06-18, 05:40 PM
Pride in the jersey.

Is that Latu lol?

edit: yeah it is. Haha.

NZFan
16-06-18, 06:11 PM
I feel like the team loses any structure we have with rein at hooker, he always trys to run and then passes to anyone when there's no room to run

Agree completely. Not only that but his defence is piss weak as well. Peats is really starting to hit some form now, I don't see the need for him anymore. I'm still gutted we lost Lawton. He was far more versatile and at least when he ran he could actually find the try line.

DavidBouveng
16-06-18, 07:44 PM
James has been epic the last few weeks, and has probably evened the ledger with Arrow as our best forward over first half of season.
he is the heroic leader they can all rally behind.

Gordon was immense today. made a couple errors bu after coming up here as a safe running fullback we've wanted for years, he has been all of that and so much more with his broken field play, passing and timing. He has been an inspired signing.

I can see why AJ runs the ball so much- the thought of a decision terrifies him and gets rattled. he made some quite poor passing choices in traffic today. We probably should have got to 50 if we converted some more opportunities.

Brenko and Copley have made the centre spots theirs to lose.

Hipgrave Smartened up today. glad to see he could reign it in a bit.

Mr Bods
17-06-18, 08:41 AM
I’m desperate to see the spine of Brimson LG ATay Peats with Gordon on the wing before we lose LG.
Coach Brennan take a long term view and give it a try

rj62
17-06-18, 09:32 AM
Press conference.
https://www.titans.com.au/news/2018/06/16/post-match-press-conference/

All I got was 2 minutes of Origin talk....

Titan68
17-06-18, 10:41 AM
Mr Bods , I’m like you , and would love to see a spine of what you mentioned. But I’ve got a feeling LG’s papers are marked.

Mr Bods
17-06-18, 11:01 AM
^^^ this is not a year where we are going to make the finals so it’s development and building culture time. I just think if Brennan doesn’t at least give it a try then in years to come we might really regret it.

DavidBouveng
17-06-18, 12:35 PM
it might take an injury for that to happen i think and i don't really want to wish that on anyone.

to be fair to Garth he has dumped much higher profiles in Carty and Hurrell as well so LG was first go but Garth has been true and relegated based on form which is to be applauded. just hope we get another chance to see him at some point. i have no idea how Koni is going to get back in except for injury

Titanic
17-06-18, 12:39 PM
If Taylor jags a Qld bench spot we might see Elgey again sooner rather than later. My choice would be to axe Rein, play Peats for 80 and get Elgey into the mix. He’s too good for QCup.

Mr Bods
17-06-18, 01:27 PM
Does anyone know what’s doing with Titan Pete?

DavidBouveng
17-06-18, 01:35 PM
If Taylor jags a Qld bench spot we might see Elgey again sooner rather than later. My choice would be to axe Rein, play Peats for 80 and get Elgey into the mix. He’s too good for QCup.

hadn't thought of that. that's a great idea on the bench.

gotitans101_
18-06-18, 01:19 AM
So Klemmer only gets a grade 1 charge for his dog shot on Brimson and is free to play State of Origin. Why am I not surprised?

So much for the crackdown on protecting the halves.

shamus
18-06-18, 03:04 PM
Does anyone know what’s doing with Titan Pete?

Mate, he has moved house and has only recently got internet. He now lives near a pub so may not have much time left over to get on here. :)

Toads
18-06-18, 03:43 PM
Mate, he has moved house and has only recently got internet. He now lives near a pub so may not have much time left over to get on here. :)

:laugh: Good on him. :thumbsup:

Titanic
18-06-18, 04:12 PM
Mate, he has moved house and has only recently got internet. He now lives near a pub so may not have much time left over to get on here. :)internet and a pub ... just needs to find a concubine with boobs on her back near Yatala Pies.

ja4220
18-06-18, 04:59 PM
internet and a pub ... just needs to find a concubine with boobs on her back near Yatala Pies.

Showmans on a Thursday or Friday afternoon ;)