PDA

View Full Version : Round 8: TITANS vs SHARKS (2018)

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 08:30 PM
TITANS vs SHARKS
5:30pm SATURDAY 28TH APRIL
Cbus Super Stadium

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 08:36 PM
https://i.imgur.com/JWKSkrk.jpg

Mr Bods
21-04-18, 09:44 PM
Well our blokes are 3W and 4L. Lose this week and our goals change completely for the season.
So I’m sorry to say it but

“This Is Grand Final Week on the Gold Coast.”

It’s put up or shut up.

If we lose this week you may not hear me say “mini GF” again this season.
So Coach Brennan and Staff work your magic and our playing squad get some pride and have a crack
PLEASE!!!!!!!

Hail Sezer
21-04-18, 09:54 PM
Well our blokes are 3W and 4L. Lose this week and our goals change completely for the season.
So I’m sorry to say it but

“This Is Grand Final Week on the Gold Coast.”

It’s put up or shut up.

If we lose this week you may not hear me say “mini GF” again this season.
So Coach Brennan and Staff work your magic and our playing squad get some pride and have a crack
PLEASE!!!!!!!

Haha I love your work Bodsy. I don’t think the forum would be the same without every game being announced as a “Mini GF” at the very least!

Mr Bods
21-04-18, 09:58 PM
Haha I love your work Bodsy. I don’t think the forum would be the same without every game being announced as a “Mini GF” at the very least!

Ha Ha thank you Sir. I mean it though-if we lose to Cronulla you won’t be hearing it the following week. Once you lose 3 in a row then the focus changes to purely getting out of the slump you are in.

RavShamrock
21-04-18, 10:12 PM
Hey Bodsy go and read the post I just added to the cowboys thread.
Brennan needs some magic alright and that's to sprinkle it all over himself.

RavShamrock
22-04-18, 08:44 AM
I'm going to get on the front foot here this morning and introduce a team I think has plenty of upside. Very controversial I'm sure but I'm absolutely sick of safe/same old selections.

1 Michael Gordon, 2 Anthony Don, 3 Brenko Lee , 4 Konrad Hurrell, 5 Phillip Sami, 6 Bryce Cartwright, 7 Ashley Taylor, 8 Jarrod Wallace, 9 Mitch Rein, 10 Jack Stockwell 11 Kevin Proctor, 12 Ryan James (c), 13 Jai Arrow
Interchange: 14 Max King, 15 Leilani Latu , 16 Will Matthews, 17 Morgan Boyle

- - - Updated - - -

If we pretty much put the same team on the paddock as against the cows we lose.
Maybe Kane could come onto the bench to provide some backs cover?

JunctionBlock
22-04-18, 09:01 AM
I'm going to get on the front foot here this morning and introduce a team I think has plenty of upside. Very controversial I'm sure but I'm absolutely sick of safe/same old selections.

1 Michael Gordon, 2 Anthony Don, 3 Brenko Lee , 4 Konrad Hurrell, 5 Phillip Sami, 6 Bryce Cartwright, 7 Ashley Taylor, 8 Jarrod Wallace, 9 Mitch Rein, 10 Jack Stockwell 11 Kevin Proctor, 12 Ryan James (c), 13 Jai Arrow
Interchange: 14 Max King, 15 Leilani Latu , 16 Will Matthews, 17 Morgan Boyle

- - - Updated - - -

If we pretty much put the same team on the paddock as against the cows we lose.

LOL, we are at odds, might pay to read my post in the Cowboys thread. No to Hurrell, No to Cartwright and I have no idea how Latu made it into your team.

RavShamrock
22-04-18, 09:07 AM
JB at this stage there is no cover for Koni.
If we can get Cartwright to play direct as in the Wallace try then it could be a game changer. (He has the smarts)
Latu has it in him and I'm thinking his spell could have him a new man/player?

Mr Bods
22-04-18, 09:32 AM
Brennan FFS needs to stick to what he spent months working on
LG 5/8
James 2nd row
Arrow Lock
Cartwright interchange Mid Forward till he has the tank to be starting Lock

His plans have come unstuck because his pets he brought with him Latu and Cartwright Suck
Captain James stop giving away penalties, be a vocal leader and enough with the comedy in talking to referees

Under Brennan we have had 3 pitiful efforts where he has then said “this will take time we have to expect performances like this”. What utter garbage, I don’t hear Cleary saying that.

We are 3 players and $700k under the cap. I clearly remember a press conference where Brennan gloated that he had a stack of players and managers contacting him. Well Brennan we have been saying all summer we need another prop and outside back. Where are they??? Im already wondering about what we are being sold.

Wallace allegedly wants to go the friggin Drongoes....Bellamy is off contract this year and is on the record as saying he’d be keen to Coach us.

I’ve had a great nights sleep, walked the dog and had a lovely breakfast.
And I’m still pissed off!!!

This performance against Cronulla needs to be very very special.

RavShamrock
22-04-18, 12:59 PM
I for one am not ready to throw Cartwright to the savages.
To me he hasn't really had the right opportunities this year to get himself going and into top gear. He will improve sharply under the right circumstances.

I like the look of a left edge consisting of Sami/Lee/Cartwright/James (mobile and big).
Earlier I had LG out of my team but I thinks best to have him on the bench instead of Latu (whom I haven't given up on just yet).
If Cartwright doesn't lift and provide a distinctive advantage from the get-go then the hook for LG.
Also LG coming off the bench provides match winning potential and could even give Rein a short break.

I'm not saying the Cows loss was LG fault in any way just looking for that special ingredient that takes this team to another level which I can't see happening under the current formation.

GCTTSD
22-04-18, 02:19 PM
I like the idea of Bryce at 6 getting his hands on the ball more inattack, elegy didn't do much organising anyway I think Bryce would compliment ash in the halves. Also Lee has to come I to the side for either TRD or hurrell, everyone co.plaims about his defence but he can't be any worse then how our other backs have defended this year

BundyTitan
22-04-18, 03:08 PM
Hurrell definitely in need of a kick up the backside. Drop him to QCUP for a few weeks so he can earn his way back into the side. We have nothing to lose bringing Lee and Elliot in for TRD and Hurrell. Our defence on the edges has been bad enough like you said GCTTSD. But not expecting to see Hurrell dropped (would love to be proven wrong), reckon he is pretty safe considering he is one of Brennan's favourite players. When he is on he is on. But that is very rare this past year and a half.

Not sure about Carty at 6. Just don't think that is his position (although what is his position really?). Would rather keep Elgey there. Admittedly I was overreactive after the Dragons game and calling for Elgey's head but he hasn't been our big problem and at least he is having a go. His defence has been better and you can't really blame him last night as the forwards weren't giving him or Ash much to work with. However, I don't know if we will see LG re-signed unless he does step up big time.

Dobes
22-04-18, 04:43 PM
1. Michael Gordon 2. Anthony Don 3. Phillip Sami 4. Brenko Lee 5. Brendan Elliot 6. Kane Elgey 7. Ash Taylor 8. Jarrod Wallace 9. Mitch Rein 10. Ryan James 11. Kevin Proctor 12. Will Matthews 13. Jai Arrow 14. Jack Stockwell 15. Bryce Cartwright 16. Keegan Hipgrave 17. Ryan Simpkins

I don’t think that backline that I’ve mentioned could be any worse than what we named for the Cowboys game. But we definitely need to drop Hurrell to QCUP for a bit. Has not been up to standard at all for the past few weeks. I’m not massive on Sami being in the centres but until we get Copley back, there’s not really much we can do about that. I’m not sure I agree with Cartwright at 6. Elgey could be better but so could everyone else and it’s not like we have much depth in that position at the moment. I think until Peats comes back we should have Simpkins on the bench as a utility.

RavShamrock
22-04-18, 04:50 PM
I know it won't happen but I want Gordon as Captain.
A leader that is - Consistent, Experienced, Skilful, 100% Effort and SMRT….

Mexican titan
22-04-18, 07:32 PM
I know it won't happen but I want Gordon as Captain.
A leader that is - Consistent, Experienced, Skilful, 100% Effort and SMRT….

I wouldn't argue with that. Our current captain plays well every other week and doesn't seem able to rally the troops. He might be better without the weight of captaincy.

Nols of the Goldy
22-04-18, 07:57 PM
Gold Coast Titans coach Garth Brennan hints at selection shocks

TRAVIS MEYN, The Courier-Mail
an hour ago
Subscriber only

TITANS coach Garth Brennan could wield the selection axe in a bid to fix the Gold Coast’s sloppy defence as halfback Ash Taylor battles a nagging hamstring injury.

The Titans are the NRL’s worst defensive team after seven rounds, conceding 197 points in a mixed start to the season.

The Titans have shown they are a sharp team with the football and have little trouble scoring points when they can maintain possession and build momentum.

However attack means little when you concede too many points.

Poor ball handling and ill-discipline crippled the Titans in Saturday’s 26-14 loss to the Cowboys at 1300SMILES Stadium.

The Titans conceded 12 penalties, including 10 in the first half, and made 11 errors to gift the Cowboys a 26-2 lead.

To make matters worse, Taylor was icing his troublesome hamstring on Sunday which has already caused him to miss a game this year.

And he would not guarantee the same 17 would run out at Cbus Super Stadium to face Cronulla on Saturday in the Gold Coast’s first home game since Round 1.

“You never know,” Brennan said when asked if he would show faith in his team.

“There were a lot of positives there. We’re a side that’s building. There is no need to panic.

“Yeah I’m disappointed, but there’s no panic stations here at all.

“We need to be better than that for 80 minutes instead of playing for 15 minutes. If we do that we’ll trouble most teams.

“If we’re not going to stick to what we do all week we’re going to make it hard on ourselves.”

Despite the Titans boasting a squad that was expected to do little this season, Brennan holds incredibly high standards and has guided them to a 3-4 start.

The rookie NRL coach will not accept what he called “schoolboy” errors, in particular players dropping the ball early in sets and from scrums.

Titans prop Jarrod Wallace said the Gold Coast had to accept Brennan’s brutal “dumb” assessment.

“What he meant by that was we had a game plan and didn’t stick to it,” he said.

“We went away from it at times and the Cowboys hurt us. When we did it we scored tries.

“We played dumb footy because we were going away from our game plan which we knew worked.

“That’s what’s so disappointing. We could score points like ‘that’. We are such a good attacking side. We’re not a consistent enough team to do it for the whole 80 minutes.”

Brennan’s suspect left side of Kane Elgey, Phillip Sami and Tyronne Roberts-Davis was brutally exposed by the Cowboys.

Giant Cowboys forward Coen Hess made a beeline for five-eighth Elgey every time he got the ball and Brennan said his 42-game pivot need to be better. They are young guys, but they’ve all had NRL experience,” he said.

“They’re not rookies, it wasn’t their debut. Kane has played a lot of footy. Sami has played junior football in the centres.

“It wasn’t ideal, but they’ve got to learn. We are a young side and that’s what we’re going to go through at his point in where we’re at.

“It’s going to take some hard knocks but those kids have got to learn from that. The NRL is a tough industry.”

RavShamrock
22-04-18, 08:10 PM
Thanks Nols I was just looking for that article

- - - Updated - - -

Actually its just Meyn regurgitating the post press conference.
The title is misleading but I wish was true.

teke
22-04-18, 10:26 PM
Interested to know if Garths game plan included forcing his halfs to run.

They do not run and it's frustrating, both are very good at it.

This team has a back 3 that has no running impact and halfs that do not run.

Anyhow meh

Boonarga
23-04-18, 12:11 PM
Game is at 5:30pm, not 3:30 as per the OP.

DIEHARD
23-04-18, 08:23 PM
Game is at 5:30pm, not 3:30 as per the OP.

Thank you! I must have cut and pasted HK time. Confusing when they don't just list the timezone on the websites.

DIEHARD
23-04-18, 11:37 PM
Sharks spine feels settled: Townsend
https://www.nrl.com/

It may have taken seven rounds but the key players in Cronulla's all-important spine are finally showing some promising signs.

With Matt Moylan back at five-eighth the Sharks turned in one of their better attacking performances of the year with a 26-22 home win over the Penrith Panthers on Sunday.

Halfback Chad Townsend has had to regularly adjust to various alterations to the spine, playing alongside both Moylan and Trent Hodkinson in the halves and Moylan, Josh Dugan and Valentine Holmes at fullback.

Townsend believes the Sharks are finally feeling comfortable with the new-look combinations. He hopes that they build on Sunday's performance and use it as a springboard for the remainder of the season.

''There has been a few changes and things like that,'' Townsend said.

''We don't want to use that as an excuse but on the weekend we felt really comfortable. We were able to score 26 points which was enough to get us the win.

''Moving forward, if we can now build on that combination and get some solidarity there, hopefully we can string some performances together.''

Moylan showed plenty of attacking flair against the Panthers, earning high praise from Sharks hooker Jayden Brailey.

Brailey said the former Panther's playmaker's leadership and positive attitude on and off the field shone through in his impressive performance.

''I thought he [Moylan] was outstanding,'' Brailey said.

''Everyone around him knew what they were doing and he took a big job in leading us around the park, so I think he's going to keep kicking on from here and have a good season.

''I think he plays his best footy when he's confident and happy. He seemed really relaxed through the week and I think that was the difference.

''We had a pretty good attitude all week. He led that for our team and we were just very positive.''

Despite the pressure of not having their senior players in Paul Gallen and Wade Graham and losing Luke Lewis is the 13th minute, Townsend said it was the Sharks' camaraderie that drove their success.

''Our backs were against the wall during the week,'' the 27-year-old said.

''To lose some of our senior players and some of our leaders in our forward pack, and then to have guys come in and really stand up and play well and to get a win at home was definitely something we needed.

''We really wanted to lift our energy and make sure we were feeding off positive vibes, and we were showing plenty of encouragement. It was just about keeping it simple and playing for each other."

RavShamrock
24-04-18, 11:05 AM
Well it's team list Tuesday and If TRD is named in the side today that is my yardstick for a loss. Simple as that.
Would be interesting to know how many of TRD's appearances in the NRL have been in a winning side? I'm guessing not many if any.

GCTTSD
24-04-18, 11:39 AM
I would drop TRD for Elliot and Hurrell for brenko, don't think Hurrell will be dropped though as he's brennans favourite centre, bit I think he needs some time in q cup to work on his defence and handling and show everyone that if your not playing good enough you won't be in the team, like Cleary did with nofalouma in round 1

Upthetits
24-04-18, 01:59 PM
I think hurrel just needs not thrash so much once tackled. I realise he's fighting for a quick ptb but I'd happily give up a second or 2 to be able to hold onto the ball. A bit deeper backline in attack and he should be right. His defence isn't the worst but he just seems like he's too heavy sometimes... Not sure how considering he played the World Cup In the off season.

Titanic
24-04-18, 02:21 PM
I’m glad you mentioned that our backline should stand deeper ... when we do we look much better. Flat passes at the line should be magic balls and not stock plays.

Regarding Hurrell he looks unfit and desperate to do something grand. Muscle-up boy, go hard and don’t think too much ... currently he reminds me of a bush turkey; scratching around aimlessly :)

JunctionBlock
24-04-18, 02:51 PM
Anyone else hearing LG is going to be dropped and Cartwright his replacement?

BundyTitan
24-04-18, 02:58 PM

Where'd you hear that mate?

JunctionBlock
24-04-18, 03:02 PM
SuperCoach forum

RavShamrock
24-04-18, 03:16 PM

Sure did. LG to bench and Brenko in for TRD.
Where did I hear it you say?
Ravs' post.

JunctionBlock
24-04-18, 03:24 PM
Sure did. LG to bench and Brenko in for TRD.
Where did I hear it you say?
Ravs' post.

At least you didn't say LG out for Hastings.

BundyTitan
24-04-18, 03:25 PM
At least you didn't say LG out for Hastings.

Don't you mean Hurrell out for Hastings? Hastings is the next GI at centre

JunctionBlock
24-04-18, 03:29 PM
Don't you mean Hurrell out for Hastings? Hastings is the next GI at centre

https://i.imgur.com/EFYYp1a.jpg

RavShamrock
24-04-18, 03:29 PM
I thought Hastings name was banned from this forum.
Thanks boys for giving it oxygen.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

BundyTitan
24-04-18, 03:46 PM
BREAKING: @GCTitans have dropped Kane Elgey. Hearing Bryce Cartwright will be named at five eighth - opposite former @PenrithPanthers team mate Matt Moylan.

From Josh Massoud on twitter. Well I didn't expect that, thought he had been better the last few weeks. But gotta trust Brennan

- - - Updated - - -

TRD also dropped in favour of Elliot who slots into centre and Sami goes back to the wing

JunctionBlock
24-04-18, 03:46 PM
BREAKING: @GCTitans have dropped Kane Elgey. Hearing Bryce Cartwright will be named at five eighth - opposite former @PenrithPanthers team mate Matt Moylan.

From Josh Massoud on twitter. Well I didn't expect that, thought he had been better the last few weeks. But gotta trust Brennan

Obviously Brennan knows what his plan is and wasn't happy it wasn't executed last week but I don't think Cartwright showed much when he replaced Taylor a few weeks back.

It is what it is but not sure how Hurrell and Co. fit into your plan of dropping the ball failing to impact on a game either.

Hail Sezer
24-04-18, 03:47 PM

Good mail JB

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously Brennan knows what his plan is and wasn't happy it wasn't executed last week but I don't think Cartwright showed much when he replaced Taylor a few weeks back.

It is what it is but not sure how Hurrell and Co. fit into your plan of dropping the ball failing to impact on a game either.

agree

JunctionBlock
24-04-18, 03:50 PM
Good mail JB

- - - Updated - - -

agree

https://i.imgur.com/6HFGcO5.jpg

Mr Bods
24-04-18, 03:53 PM
Sad to see LG get dropped but I’m certain he can get his confidence back in QCup and come back later in the season and be a great 5/8.

JunctionBlock
24-04-18, 04:01 PM
https://i.imgur.com/8MqCZkK.png

JunctionBlock
24-04-18, 04:15 PM
BRENNAN: Elgey has a few things to work on
Author Titans.com.au Timestamp Tue 24 Apr 2018, 04:04 PM

Coach Garth Brennan has stressed that local junior Kane Elgey is still in his 2018 plans but has today not named him in his starting side to face the Cronulla Sharks at Cbus Super Stadium on Saturday.

Elgey, along with Tyronne Roberts-Davis have not been selected in the side, with Bryce Cartwright named in the five-eighth position whilst Brendan Elliot is set to become Titan #138, being named at centre.
Brennan today spoke about the need for Elgey to go back to the Intrust Super Cup to work on a number of things before he can earn his NRL spot once again.

"I've had a good chat to Kane and he knows exactly what is needed," Brennan said. "He understood and will look to get some confidence back via Queensland Cup.

"It's mainly in defence but he needs to make more of an effort to run a team and he should be able to do that for Tweed."

Cartwright played in the five-eighth position in the round two loss to the Warriors but Brennan believes he has learnt a lot since then and also become a lot more comfortable as part of the Titans side.

"People seem to forget that Bryce played his best footy at five-eighth during the 2016 season at the Panthers. He has worked on his match fitness and has increased his minutes over the past couple of weeks so I believe he'll be fine."

RavShamrock
24-04-18, 04:35 PM
Well I for one am happy Cartwright is named at 6.
Where do we rate Elliot's defence? If it gets a pass I'm happy with this side for now.
Obviously we may struggle if a back goes down. Touch wood

- - - Updated - - -

Actually if Brimson was ready would be exciting to see him replace Hipgrave.

RavShamrock
24-04-18, 04:49 PM
LOL, we are at odds, might pay to read my post in the Cowboys thread. No to Hurrell, No to Cartwright and I have no idea how Latu made it into your team.

Gee I wish Brennan named Latu on the bench I would have fallen off my chair :laugh:

JunctionBlock
24-04-18, 05:33 PM
Gee I wish Brennan named Latu on the bench I would have fallen off my chair :laugh:

If there is one thing we can agree upon it's that we all want the WIN.

RavShamrock
24-04-18, 06:44 PM
You're spot on there mate.
If Elliot can defend Cartwright's outside shoulder and WE CLOSE DOWN DUGAN we are in for a really good win here. (And I guess Elliot can defend or Brennan would not have introduced this combo).
I just watched some Elliot highlights and he sure has experience on his side, shows speed and can finish. So he gets his chance here.

I know these two sides historically have close encounters but I'm tipping Titans 13+ and Cartwright man of the match.
It's a shame the Gallen punce isn't playing because the smash-up would taste even better.

Mr Bods
24-04-18, 06:48 PM
Grand Final week for us and Coach Brennan has embraced it by going for a physically big team and wanting to have the defensive side of our game as strong as he can make it.

rj62
24-04-18, 06:56 PM
I’m happy for the change , though still not sold on Cartwright as a 5/8.
Just glad Garth made the decision. Koni will need to pull his finger out not to be next.

- - - Updated - - -

Grand Final week for us and Coach Brennan has embraced it by going for a physically big team and wanting to have the defensive side of our game as strong as he can make it.

We have a lot of G F weeks :laugh:

Mr Bods
24-04-18, 06:57 PM
^^^ if we lose this week I won’t be declaring one next week
Our focus will shift completely to getting out of a form slump

Dooldog76
24-04-18, 07:35 PM
I don’t think Cartwright is the answer, I actually don’t think his defense is any better than elgey’s. I would understand AJ Brimson getting a run, but Cartwright is better to provide impact off the bench. He is not a five eighth and he consistently makes poor fifth tackle options. I know it’s a buzz word, but he has no game management skills at all. Poor decision in my opinion, but I’ll be happy to be proven wrong.

teke
24-04-18, 07:35 PM
I think went a long way to playing themselves into form last gaame. They will be very hard to beat

Dooldog76
24-04-18, 07:36 PM
And I agree bodsie, mini gf this week. 3 losses in a row and rot starts to set in.

teke
24-04-18, 07:41 PM
BRENNAN: Elgey has a few things to work on
Author Titans.com.au Timestamp Tue 24 Apr 2018, 04:04 PM

Coach Garth Brennan has stressed that local junior Kane Elgey is still in his 2018 plans but has today not named him in his starting side to face the Cronulla Sharks at Cbus Super Stadium on Saturday.

Elgey, along with Tyronne Roberts-Davis have not been selected in the side, with Bryce Cartwright named in the five-eighth position whilst Brendan Elliot is set to become Titan #138, being named at centre.
Brennan today spoke about the need for Elgey to go back to the Intrust Super Cup to work on a number of things before he can earn his NRL spot once again.

"I've had a good chat to Kane and he knows exactly what is needed," Brennan said. "He understood and will look to get some confidence back via Queensland Cup.

"It's mainly in defence but he needs to make more of an effort to run a team and he should be able to do that for Tweed."

Cartwright played in the five-eighth position in the round two loss to the Warriors but Brennan believes he has learnt a lot since then and also become a lot more comfortable as part of the Titans side.

"People seem to forget that Bryce played his best footy at five-eighth during the 2016 season at the Panthers. He has worked on his match fitness and has increased his minutes over the past couple of weeks so I believe he'll be fine."I wouldnt be surprised if Elgey retires from footy after current cotract. He just comes across as a chilled dude just making ends meet.

Upthetits
24-04-18, 07:56 PM
I don’t think Cartwright is the answer, I actually don’t think his defense is any better than elgey’s. I would understand AJ Brimson getting a run, but Cartwright is better to provide impact off the bench. He is not a five eighth and he consistently makes poor fifth tackle options. I know it’s a buzz word, but he has no game management skills at all. Poor decision in my opinion, but I’ll be happy to be proven wrong.

I agree. Really. Hope he has a blinder but we really need it. If we lose this I wouldn't mind seeing AJ given a go

Titanic
24-04-18, 09:08 PM
James is not an edge runner in my opinion. The year he scored lots of tries was as a middle forward. He runs like a plodder but can get a sneaky line break in occasionally. Now the Elgey/James myth is broken he can get about concentrating on his job.

ja4220
24-04-18, 09:59 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if Elgey retires from footy after current cotract. He just comes across as a chilled dude just making ends meet.

I am thinking mid season release to Manly myself...

RavShamrock
24-04-18, 10:08 PM
I originally thought it a good idea for Dark to ride shotgun for Cartwright playing at 6 but this is probably just robbing Peter.
Anyway, I remember one of our trial matches where Cartwright went to 6 for a period and did a lot of first receiver stuff and took a fair bit of pressure off Ash. Even though things were pretty clunky at the time I thought the setup was good and looked intimidating/menacing close to the line. When Cartwright gets the early ball and can run at the line and/or bring a forward on with a good line (like he did with Wallace against cows) or swing to Ash we will be near unstoppable (well in theory anyway).

- - - Updated - - -

I am thinking mid season release to Manly myself...

I will get absolutely crucified for this but what the heck.
If Manly could afford it a swap for Hastings perhaps. :fight:

Mr Bods
24-04-18, 10:25 PM
Don’t give up on Kane yet lads. Some time running the show for Tweed Heads could be what he needs.

gotitans101_
25-04-18, 03:10 AM
I mean, I'm glad Elgey is dropped....but for Cartwright?

His D is no better than Elgey's, and Brennan saying Elgey needs to be able to run a team is a bit rich considering Carty is no leader either.

gotitans101_
25-04-18, 03:22 AM
Don’t give up on Kane yet lads. Some time running the show for Tweed Heads could be what he needs.

To me he just hasn't looked the same since coming back from his ACL. Some players get their mojo back while others are never the same. Same goes in any sport really. I'm thinking Elgey is the latter....but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

ja4220
25-04-18, 05:49 AM
I mean, I'm glad Elgey is dropped....but for Cartwright?

His D is no better than Elgey's, and Brennan saying Elgey needs to be able to run a team is a bit rich considering Carty is no leader either.

This is the bit I don’t get. Brennan has constantly stated that it’s Ash’s team, and Ash needs to take charge of the team etc etc.
So if it’s Ash’s team why does Kane need to work on running it.

Titanic
25-04-18, 06:48 AM
Brennan is running out of excuses. I totally agree with Elgey being dropped but how many games will Cartwright get? He is looking more like the coach’s pet and that’s the way to split a group.

RavShamrock
25-04-18, 07:44 AM
You might be underestimating the ability of the Coach and Cartwright I would suggest.
Obvisouly they are totally different players but Cartwright is a much bigger body and I would hope not miss so many 1on1.
As tough as it might seem I agree with Brennan “this is best for the team”.

psmitty
25-04-18, 08:21 AM
I think dropping LG is a good move. I hope he comes good but currently it does not look good. He reminds me of Zillman a bit who promised a lot at the start but has performed well bellow his first year with a few good games thrown in among a lot of crap.

With Brennan dropping LG it shows what Brennans thoughts are of him going forward. I would not be surprised if Brennan decides not to re-sign LG next year. I for one do not think he is worth his current $600,000 wage or not even close.

JunctionBlock
25-04-18, 08:43 AM
Brennan is running out of excuses. I totally agree with Elgey being dropped but how many games will Cartwright get? He is looking more like the coach’s pet and that’s the way to split a group.

I'm worried about the same thing. But at least he dropped Latu when it came to it.

My other worry is that we can't even get the basics right as far as completing a set of 6, now we are adding the unknown of Cartwright at 5/8 and his unseen offloads it could turn messy very quickly and if it does then I'm guessing it will shut Cartwrights confidence down and any use he maybe to us.

RavShamrock
25-04-18, 08:47 AM
How is Cartwright an unknown at 6 he went close to NSW selection whilst playing there?

Dooldog76
25-04-18, 08:49 AM
I have no problem with Elgey being dropped, as long as his replacement is a capable player in that position. Cartwright offers nothing more than Elgey does in that position and his defense is woeful. He’s a shirt grabber. He is better providing impact off the bench. I have seen nothing from him that says he is a five eighth. And the argument that he was tearing it up at five eight two years is not valid, because Elgey was doing the same thing two and a half years ago.

RavShamrock
25-04-18, 08:50 AM
I think dropping LG is a good move. I hope he comes good but currently it does not look good. He reminds me of Zillman a bit who promised a lot at the start but has performed well bellow his first year with a few good games thrown in among a lot of crap.

With Brennan dropping LG it shows what Brennans thoughts are of him going forward. I would not be surprised if Brennan decides not to re-sign LG next year. I for one do not think he is worth his current $600,000 wage or not even close.

Yep the price might not get you dropped but it certainly comes with an expectation. So probably a good point when managers are chasing ridiculous monies for their client that at the end of the day the player will have to back it up

Menoitios
25-04-18, 08:51 AM
I think waiting this long to drop LG was a good move by Brennan. It shows that he gave him every chance to find his form and that he backed him to come good week after week. This move puts the onus on LG. If he can find his form and improve his defence, the door's still open.

I don't think LG offers enough in attack to justify the idea of putting a tackling machine next to him each week to improve his sides defence. Without Taylor on the field, I expect a 5/8 to step straight up and take control. He doesn't do that at the moment.

Dooldog76
25-04-18, 08:58 AM
I'm worried about the same thing. But at least he dropped Latu when it came to it.
My other worry is that we can't even get the basics right as far as completing a set of 6, now we are adding the unknown of Cartwright at 5/8 and his unseen offloads it could turn messy very quickly and if it does then I'm guessing it will shut Cartwrights confidence down and any use he maybe to us.
I agree. His fifth tackle options are atrocious. It usually comes down to him crabbing across the field, putting a kick dead or throwing some ridiculous no look flick pass or some ridiculous Hail Mary to the wing. This is going to get messy.

JunctionBlock
25-04-18, 09:00 AM
How is Cartwright an unknown at 6 he went close to NSW selection whilst playing there?

In 2016.

Menoitios
25-04-18, 09:08 AM
Playing Cartwright at 5/8 is a stop gap. I think Peachy will wear the 6 next year unless Cartwright kills it there and makes that spot his own. In that case, when Peachy arrives...I fear for Koni.

JunctionBlock
25-04-18, 09:14 AM
I'm not saying Cartwright doesn't have talent, we've seen it, in 2016. But 2 years later he is a shadow of his former self and isn't playing better football to unseed LG.

RavShamrock
25-04-18, 09:38 AM
The form around Cartwright is a bit fuzzy. I don't think previous game circumstances have let him show his true form so lets give him benefit of doubt at this stage.
I for one am excited to see this team changed up but do admit I'm a little nervous about the new comobos.

JunctionBlock
25-04-18, 09:49 AM
His form sure is fuzzy, he started at lock, didn't work, dropped to the bench, played 2 mins in his first bench game because he wasn't needed. Skip ahead to last weeks game and we fall apart when he comes on for Matthews.

Don't get me wrong, hope he finds form, we have hm for four years, but he hardly has earned a starting 5/8 spot.

RavShamrock
25-04-18, 10:13 AM
His form sure is fuzzy, he started at lock, didn't work, dropped to the bench, played 2 mins in his first bench game because he wasn't needed. Skip ahead to last weeks game and we fall apart when he comes on for Matthews.

Don't get me wrong, hope he finds form, we have hm for four years, but he hardly has earned a starting 5/8 spot.

Good we agree his form is fuzzy.
!.Yep, isn't a lock.
2. Going to the bench is not dropping these days is more tactical (like if Lg went to bench instead of left right-out).
3.The way a game pans out is hardly his fault.
4. Mate seriously, we were so lucky in that game there were so many penalties and dropped ball because that never gave the Cowboys the fluency required to get at our left edge (thank god it would have been a blood bath). Only circumstantial that the cows got a little bit of fluency coincidental to Cartwright's injection IMO.

JunctionBlock
25-04-18, 10:22 AM
https://i.imgur.com/M6TNCRT.jpg

Dooldog76
25-04-18, 10:25 AM
He’s a turnstile and no better than Elgey in defense. Also has no game management at all. He’s an impact player off the bench. And when he learns to tackle he will be an awesome 2nd rower.

RavShamrock
25-04-18, 10:50 AM
Come on guys lets get some positivity going here and stop being so hypocritical.

We have been whinging and whining for years that things never change around here and when they start to we poo poo it.
We should be standing and applauding Brennan.
Lets get behind this coach on the way to success, not after it which is nothing but shallow support.

Dooldog76
25-04-18, 10:56 AM
I have an opinion on Cartwright. You have an opinion on TRD. Like I said, no problem with Elgey being dropped, just who he is being replaced with.

DIEHARD
25-04-18, 11:26 AM
While I may not agree how the players have being dropped and changed, I do agree with it happening. It should create a better culture in our squad and one that is more sharp and competitive. I'll be interested to see how LG goes for Tweed as a playmaker.

JunctionBlock
25-04-18, 11:34 AM
Come on guys lets get some positivity going here and stop being so hypocritical.

We have been whinging and whining for years that things never change around here and when they start to we poo poo it.
Lets get behind this coach on the way to success, not after it which is nothing but shallow support.

Not bagging the coach, hoping for the W. I'm more in awe of your reasoning to support your arguments.

Being captain of the anti-hurrell brigade I was hoping for a different kind of change.

RavShamrock
25-04-18, 11:46 AM
Ok JB here's your chance to share your genius on whom you would change Hurrell out with and what other changes you would have made to the team after such a diabolical performance against the Cows?
I hope hope for Brennan's sake he is tuned in

sideline grandad
25-04-18, 11:48 AM
While I may not agree how the players have being dropped and changed, I do agree with it happening. It should create a better culture in our squad and one that is more sharp and competitive. I'll be interested to see how LG goes for Tweed as a playmaker.

LG going from Titans under Brennan to Tweed under Woolfe will not improve his skills. if anything he will go backwards.

RavShamrock
25-04-18, 11:59 AM
Well probably lucky LG isn't going back to the bears then he might have not gotten a spot at all?

Dooldog76
25-04-18, 12:05 PM
Yeh I’m hoping he finds a little bit of confidence and variation in his game.

RavShamrock
25-04-18, 12:33 PM
Hey Bodsy. I think you'll love what spud has to say in his first 10 seconds of this clip.:salute:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/24/spudds-plan-to-fix-sea-eagles/

Dobes
25-04-18, 12:59 PM
Guys, if you haven’t yet bought your tickets for the game, there’s a discount code “ANZAC2FOR1”. Put that in the password box and get 2 tickets for 1.

RavShamrock
25-04-18, 01:02 PM
Yeah lets get there and support the lads after all we are undefeated at Cbus this season.:)

Mr Bods
25-04-18, 01:03 PM
Hey Bodsy. I think you'll love what spud has to say in his first 10 seconds of this clip.:salute:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/24/spudds-plan-to-fix-sea-eagles/

Damned straight
I know I’m a fossil but I can’t stand seeing it
Show that you care as much as the rest of us

JunctionBlock
25-04-18, 02:40 PM
Ok JB here's your chance to share your genius on whom you would change Hurrell out with and what other changes you would have made to the team after such a diabolical performance against the Cows?
I hope hope for Brennan's sake he is tuned in

From a mental institute to Mensa in a day. I don't think there is any genius to be had. Without a team with injuries we barely scrape together, now we are lost with no depth to be found. Brennan even said it in the press conference, no one out there last week was on debut and have NRL experience but we can't trust the fit players to do their job at the moment. How many NRL centres have we let go in the last couple of years? Nene, GL, Davis, at a stretch Hoffman and going back further Takairangi. Point is, this isn't Brennans team yet. What worries me that of the people Brennan has signed, Bryce, Latu, Elliot, Lee, Rein, Stockwell and Matthews, one has fuzzy form, the next two were below TRD in the pecking order, Rein is a success no doubt and the next two got their spots due to fuzzy form guy not being a locks bum hole so we had to rearrange the team to cover his ass.

What changes would I suggest out of what we currently have. Little to none. If Copley was fit, Hurrell to Elliot. Cartwright should be forced to find his fuzzy form in Qcup with Latu.

RavShamrock
25-04-18, 02:58 PM
No genius to be had is an understatement.
I hope Brennan didn't tune in because he'll be hard to wake for Saturday after that yawn fest.

Menoitios
25-04-18, 03:21 PM
Love to see this version of Cartwright this week...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-eBgdbyPDw

JunctionBlock
25-04-18, 03:32 PM
No genius to be had is an understatement.
I hope Brennan didn't tune in because he'll be hard to wake for Saturday after that yawn fest.

Ok.

RavShamrock
25-04-18, 03:40 PM
Love to see this version of Cartwright this week...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-eBgdbyPDw

Me to meno.
Gee he can find the line when in form and maybe we should wear a pink strip.
The other thing I noticed he combined with Latu a fair bit.

Menoitios
25-04-18, 04:53 PM
Me to meno.
Gee he can find the line when in form and maybe we should wear a pink strip.
The other thing I noticed he combined with Latu a fair bit.

Poor old Latu. How has he been going?? I liked him in the 1st game against the raiders. Those little passes before the line were awesome! After that game he must have found where Garth hides the cookie jar.

rj62
25-04-18, 05:36 PM

:thumbsup:

RavShamrock
25-04-18, 05:39 PM
Poor old Latu. How has he been going?? I liked him in the 1st game against the raiders. Those little passes before the line were awesome! After that game he must have found where Garth hides the cookie jar.

If we watch the seagulls go around on Saturday we’ll have the chance to see how Latu is travelling along with some other Titan contracted players as well. Al though I doubt we’ll see Simpkins in this game he’s the only forward named as a Titans reserve?

Mackay Cutters v Tweed Heads Seagulls at BB Print Stadium, Mackay on Saturday, April 28 – 1.10pm * (Channel 9 TV game)
Tweed Heads Seagulls

1. AJ Brimson 2. Ryland Jacobs 3. Kiah Cooper 4. Brayden McGrady 5. Tevita Folau 6. Lindon McGrady 7. Kane Elgey 13. Cheyne Whitelaw (c) 9. Sam Meskell 10. Leilani Latu 11. Lamar Manuel-Liolevave 12. Tristan Lumley 14. Ryan Simpkins 15. Maia Sands 17. Rex Johnson 8. Moeaki Fotuaika 16. Tony Matautia 17. Eli Levido 18. Hiale Roycroft

Titanic
26-04-18, 12:05 AM
With regard to Hurrell, I don’t get the “Lee can’t tackle” lobby. We haven’t seen that first hand and the bar isn’t very high is it ... missed tackles, dropped balls and misreads.

gotitans101_
26-04-18, 02:14 AM
With regard to Hurrell, I don’t get the “Lee can’t tackle” lobby. We haven’t seen that first hand and the bar isn’t very high is it ... missed tackles, dropped balls and misreads.

yeah that's true. Look, I'd give Brenko a run but I wouldn't bet on him being any better than Hurrell as far as his defence goes.

Titanic
26-04-18, 04:08 AM
yeah that's true. Look, I'd give Brenko a run but I wouldn't bet on him being any better than Hurrell as far as his defence goes.I feel if he can worry the defence with the ball, doesn't give away stupid penalties, catches the goddamned thing and doesn't have a ridiculous haircut then he's a sure thing :)

Dooldog76
26-04-18, 07:22 AM
Koni has always had an error or two in his game. It’s just that he plays with passion and enthusiasm that hasn’t been seen in our side for a long time. This year however, his effectiveness is down and his errors are way up. I could put up with it if the errors were not in our 20 meter zone but they always seem to be at the worst possible time and position. I actually thought he’d be the first to go, will be interesting how they all respond this week.

JunctionBlock
26-04-18, 09:24 AM

I'm happy to see Lee on the wing as he is a winger. He was leading the comp in tries scored two years ago and the Bulldogs dropped him due to his defense. When copley is back I'm happy to see Elliot move to the right centre spot. If we had reliable players in our back line Sami should move to centre (as he is supposed to be a centre) and Lee could go on his outside. Personally I think Elliot gets first shot on form.

Hail Sezer
26-04-18, 09:27 AM
Pleased to see Elliot get a go on that left edge. Brenko had his chance in the trial at both left and right centre and let in 3 or 4 tries himself (no exaggeration if you've seen the footage). He then had the chance to redeem when going to Burleigh and was poor again defensively and ended up on the wing for them so that he was't the pivot for defensive decisions when teams ran shape at his edge.

Who would have thought we would miss Copley this much?

BundyTitan
26-04-18, 10:27 AM
Pleased to see Elliot get a go on that left edge. Brenko had his chance in the trial at both left and right centre and let in 3 or 4 tries himself (no exaggeration if you've seen the footage). He then had the chance to redeem when going to Burleigh and was poor again defensively and ended up on the wing for them so that he was't the pivot for defensive decisions when teams ran shape at his edge.

Who would have thought we would miss Copley this much?

Don’t think any of us could have predicted that Copley would be our biggest threat out wide and that he’d be our best centre. What a year aye.

Does anyone know what Elliot’s defence is like? Haven’t really watched him in the past defensively but know that he’s pretty quick and good attacking wise. Interested to see if he helps that left edge (big job ahead of him).

Also I’m not sold on Carty at 6 but he did play some of his best footy there and hasn’t got the best defence but he’s a bigger body at least. And getting more footy in his hands is best, as long as Brennan pulls his head in and tells him to play simple and let Ash take control. I can also understand the logic of not rushing AJ in too quickly as it might be better to keep him in QCUP for a bit longer. He’s been killing it but let him keep getting the experience. Willing to trust Brennan’s call on the #6 jersey.

Hail Sezer
26-04-18, 01:17 PM
Apparently Brenko back to left centre for Burleigh this weekend, TRD left wing.

Mr Bods
26-04-18, 02:20 PM
Such a big test for ATay tomorrow
He’s never really run the show for the full 80 that I recall
He has gotten away with his disappearance acts with Roberts and LG at 5-8 but he can’t tomorrow
Cartwright cannot do the organising role he just needs to be an attacking weapon playing outside ATay
Also there is no way Cartwright should be allowed to kick the ball
He did some kicking against NZ and it was woeful
Two more sleeps to Grand Final Day on the GC

teke
26-04-18, 02:25 PM
Sharks should be able to pump this side by 20

DIEHARD
26-04-18, 02:48 PM
Video NRL preview https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/26/titans-v-sharks---round-8/

Titanic
26-04-18, 03:46 PM
Sharks should be able to pump this side by 20teke old mate, time to shed all that Ponies negativity and get back in the fold :)

JunctionBlock
26-04-18, 03:58 PM

Maybe pray for rain and we can smack them by 20 like last year.

Surfers66
26-04-18, 04:01 PM

Imagine what the sharks would do to Manly!

gotitans101_
26-04-18, 04:15 PM
Sharks are overrated this year imo

indoallstars
26-04-18, 04:16 PM
I recon we will win this game:

1. We are Sharks boggey team
2. We win considerably more games when Atay and Elgey do not start together
3. We win games we shouldn't, and loose games we should win

RavShamrock
26-04-18, 05:03 PM
4. And we are undefeated at Cbus this season.

teke
26-04-18, 05:42 PM
Get the forum to turn on u instead of each other - mission complete.

....but the sharks should win

Titanic
26-04-18, 09:55 PM
Get the forum to turn on u instead of each other - mission complete.

....but the sharks should winlol

DavidBouveng
26-04-18, 10:03 PM
Titanic, ol' teke and i chat before most titans games and despite his best efforts to pretend otherwise, his heart is pure and he is one of us.

He has plenty of Manly in him too of course, but if we didn't let titan / manly half casts on this forum we wouldnt have any discussion probably.

Bayside Titan
27-04-18, 07:55 AM
Titanic, ol' teke and i chat before most titans games and despite his best efforts to pretend otherwise, his heart is pure and he is one of us.

He has plenty of Manly in him too of course, but if we didn't let titan / manly half casts on this forum we wouldnt have any discussion probably.

DB - you might want to ensure Teke is sanitised as he has that “Bronco Stench” on him to ensure he fully comes back to the fold ;-)

5 Year Contract
27-04-18, 08:24 AM
We always seem to stand up against the sharks but after last week I dont think we can even rely on a upset win anymore. Good to see LG back to QCup he needs to have a stint there and work on his defence and gain some more confidence. Cartwright should offer some more attack and hopefully a bigger body in defence but damn Ash is going to have to finally take control of this team.

RavShamrock
27-04-18, 09:10 AM
Hey Bodsy just for you….

SATURDAY, 28 APRIL 2018

Gates Open - 3.15pm

Curtain Raiser kick off - Navy Tridents v Army Lightning - 3.20pm

Mr Bods
27-04-18, 09:17 AM
^^^ it’s a women’s game I believe
Much better than a game of friggin touch!!!

RavShamrock
27-04-18, 09:19 AM
We always seem to stand up against the sharks but after last week I dont think we can even rely on a upset win anymore. Good to see LG back to QCup he needs to have a stint there and work on his defence and gain some more confidence. Cartwright should offer some more attack and hopefully a bigger body in defence but damn Ash is going to have to finally take control of this team.

Exclusive Ash Taylor column: How Gold Coast Titans will get the best out of Bryce Cartwright

TITANS
April 27, 2018 6:40am
by ASHLEY TAYLOR
Source: FOX SPORTS

WHEN we run out onto Cbus Super Stadium on Saturday against the Sharks I’ll have a new halves partner and there’s no doubt it will be a different dynamic.

Bryce Cartwright has different traits to Kane Elgey. Kane is more of a genuine half whereas Bryce is a good runner of the ball and a big body with some incredible skill.

I’m sure he’ll be up to the job we need him to do.

Bryce has had to move around in a few different positions already this season and he’s probably found it tough to get into the game when he has come off the bench in recent weeks.

I imagine it’s difficult for anyone who comes off the bench to get into the flow of the game when they come on so I’m sure Bryce will appreciate being out there from the opening whistle.

He played some exceptional footy when he played five-eighth at the Panthers so he knows what he has to do.

He’s also been coached by Garth Brennan in the past so he knows what ‘Brenno’ expects of him and ‘Brenno’ knows how to get the best out of him.

As for how we’ll combine together, we’re still trying to work that out.

He’s more than capable of playing his side and putting on moves on his side of the field but we’ll just have to see how it pans out and what the coach wants.

We had a run on Tuesday, our main session was on Wednesday and then we’ll finish off with the captain’s run Friday.

Once we work out the combination that’s going to work best we’ll stick with it.

While I’m happy that Bryce has got his chance, obviously I feel for Kane.

You don’t want to see anyone get dropped out of the squad but I know he’s going to go back and kill it in the Intrust Super Cup to prove a point, that he belongs in the NRL.

Anytime someone gets dropped it’s hard because you know the talent is there, they might just be down on form a little bit or coming back from injury.

As a half you need to play with a level of confidence and calmness that makes the rest of the boys feel good about how the team is going.

I’ve been frustrated and disappointed in a few areas of my game this year but it’s important that when you do feel a little bit off that you work out different ways to get yourself back into the game.

Sometimes that can be hard to do but you just have to go out there and enjoy your footy.

Even though you might be behind on the scoreboard you’ve still got to enjoy it, learn how to react it in a positive way when things might be going against you.

Everybody’s different but as a halfback you have to be confident in everything that you do.

People like Mitchell Pearce, Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk, you see how they prepare for a game and they just have this calming influence over everybody and a sense of belief that they can get the job done.

I’ve tried to work on that the past few weeks and I think I’ve been doing a good job in trying to pump some people up and give them some energy to feed off.

I’m only 52 games into my career so it’s hard to know whether I’m doing that or not.

It’s something I know I’ll have to get better at as I go on.

Titanic
27-04-18, 04:14 PM
Speaking of curtainraisers; can anybody else remember the incredible running brawl between Qld and NSW Firies before the very first State of Origin? Never saw anything better until Artie ran on.

Bayside Titan
27-04-18, 04:29 PM
Speaking of curtainraisers; can anybody else remember the incredible running brawl between Qld and NSW Firies before the very first State of Origin? Never saw anything better until Artie ran on.

No but I remember in Rugby Days at Browne Park in Rocky watching NQ Army v SQ Army as a curtain raiser and the first 10 minutes was both teams bashing each other. Oh good times..... maybe the girls can do the same.

Mr Bods
27-04-18, 04:29 PM

Hey Titanic how did Dally Messenger play when he scored a hat trick against Glebe? Were they individual efforts of were the tries laid on for him on a silver platter.

DIEHARD
27-04-18, 08:22 PM
Hey Titanic how did Dally Messenger play when he scored a hat trick against Glebe? Were they individual efforts of were the tries laid on for him on a silver platter.

Hahahaha. Titanic was also a regular at the George Hotel...

DIEHARD
27-04-18, 09:03 PM
Titans v Sharks: Graham out; Cartwright to halves
http://www.nrl.com

This is the type of game that will have almost everyone tipping the Sharks based on their gutsy win over Penrith and Gold Coast's loss to the Cowboys.

But it probably won't be that cut and dried.

The Sharks had their backs against the wall last week and were spurred on by a vocal home crowd. They got the job done but wins don't always make you as hungry and determined as losses, so the challenge this week for the Sharks is pick up where they left off.

That will be easier said than done against a team that has lost two in a row and has aspirations to make the finals. The Titans need to show us if those top eight plans should be taken seriously.

Key match-up: In some games it looks as though Ash Taylor can do anything he wants on a football field, which is why it leaves you scratching your head that he doesn't play at a high level from week to week, although he does have youth on his side. This week he is up against Chad Townsend and the Titans will be counting on a take-charge performance from the 23-year-old halfback.

For the Titans to win: Again, this team's prospects hinge largely on what they get from their hot and cold halves. Taylor needs to make sure the Titans play their own brand of football and avoid getting caught up in how the Sharks want to play.

For the Sharks to win: They can't take their vocal fans on the road, but the Sharks would've taken a lot of confidence out of their win over Penrith and should be eager to prove they have turned the corner. They will be hard to stop on Saturday if Moylan, Josh Dugan and Andrew Fifita play like they did against the Panthers. Wade Graham is also tipped to return.

Titans stat attack: The Titans are a bit of a bogey side for Cronulla, winning five of their past seven meetings with the Sharks. They have won three of their past four home games against the Sharks.

Sharks stat attack: Fifita leads the NRL in off-loads (26) but he has also been penalised a chart-topping 12 times. Moylan's 13 overall errors for the season has him at the top of the negative plays list.

And another thing: Gold Coast prop Jarrod Wallace will chalk up his 100th NRL game after starting his career with the Broncos.

Titans: 1 Michael Gordon, 2 Anthony Don, 3 Brendan Elliot, 4 Konrad Hurrell, 5 Phillip Sami, 6 Bryce Cartwrighitans:t, 7 Ashley Taylor, 8 Jarrod Wallace, 9 Mitch Rein, 10 Ryan James (c), 11 Kevin Proctor, 12 Will Matthews, 13 Jai Arrow

Interchange: 14 Max King, 15 Jack Stockwell, 16 Keegan Hipgrave, 17 Morgan Boyle

Reserves: 18 Brenko Lee, 19 Ryan Simpkins

Titans coach Garth Brennan dropped five-eighth Kane Elgey from last week's team beaten by the Cowboys, moving Bryce Cartwright to five-eighth. Morgan Boyle returns on the bench, while winger Tyronne Roberts-Davis has also been dropped. Phillip Sami reverts to wing and Brendan Elliot will play centre. Brennan cut AJ Brimson and Elgey from an extended reserves bench 24 hours before kick-off.

Sharks: 1 Josh Dugan, 2 Edrick Lee, 3 Jesse Ramien, 4 Ricky Leutele, 5 Valentine Holmes, 6 Matt Moylan, 7 Chad Townsend, 8 Andrew Fifita, 9 Jayden Brailey, 10 Matt Prior, 11 Scott Sorensen, 12 Wade Graham (c), 13 Joseph Paulo

Interchange: 14 Jayson Bukuya, 15 James Segeyaro, 16 Avagalu Seumanu***ai, 17 Kurt Dillion

Reserves: 18 Kurt Capewell, 20 Braden Uele

In a late blow for the Sharks, co-captain Wade Graham (hamstring) did not fly to the Gold Coast and is now likely to make his comeback next week against Parramatta. Jayson Bukuya (groin) returns on the bench, bumping Kurt Capewell out of the 17. Capewell and Braden Uele are reserves, with Jack Williams and Trent Hodkinson omitted from the squad on Friday night.

Head-to-head: Played 17; Titans 8 wins, Sharks 8 wins, 1 draw
Matches at venue: Played 7; Titans 4 wins, Sharks 2 wins, 1 draw
2017 results: Titans won 16-12 at Southern Cross Group Stadium in round 8 and 30-10 at Cbus Super Stadium in round 19
Points per game: Titans 18.6; Sharks 16.3
Points conceded per game: Titans 28.1; Sharks 19.7
Televised: Live on Fox League

Steve Turner's prediction: The Gold Coast Titans were poor last weekend and the Sharks were brilliant under adversity. The 2016 premiers showed signs of what people have come to expect of them. Their spine fired for the first time in 2018, Andrew Fifita was outstanding and they won without Paul Gallen, Wade Graham and Luke Lewis. The Titans have too many areas in their game to fix and won't have the class to match the visitors. Sharks by 12.

DIEHARD
27-04-18, 09:06 PM
Brennan wants dominant Cartwright at Titans
http://www.nrl.com

Gold Coast coach Garth Brennan says Bryce Cartwright needs to come out of his shell and have the confidence to be dominant around his new teammates when he steps into the five-eighth position against Cronulla at Cbus Super Stadium on Saturday night.

And he says an "opposed" ball session at training this week gave the best indication he might be set to do that and turn the corner with his career.

Cartwright has seemed hesitant to assert himself in his first seven matches in a Titans jersey and Brennan said that reflected his lack of confidence as he has been getting used to the players around him and his role in the side.

While Brennan conceded switching Cartwright to five-eighth was "not ideal", it may be the catalyst for him play the attacking football he was recruited to provide.

"The way he trained there [at five-eighth] on Wednesday, when he really took control and he was telling guys where to go, was exceptional," Brennan said.

"He probably steered them around more than Ash [Taylor] did, which was really exciting to see.

"That is only going to help with his confidence going forward.

"He has missed a lot of footy and been moved around positionally for a while, and we moved him again which is not ideal.

"A lot of it [lack of preparedness to dominate] is him still getting to know the players around him, on and off the field.

"They really responded to him [in the training session], and the more they respond, the more confidence he will get with the teammates around him."

Brennan hopes the switch of Cartwright to five-eighth is temporary. He wants the multi-talented Kane Elgey to regain confidence in his ability, particularly his defence.

Yet he pointed out Cartwright was Nathan Cleary's halves partner when he was introduced into the Panthers' side in 2016 and they quickly created a dominant pairing.

After playing the first 12 games of that season in the second row (one starting on the bench), Cartwright played the last 14 matches at five-eighth. Penrith won 10 of the next 13 games after Cartwright was switched to five-eighth in round 14, moving from 11th to sixth.

"Bryce is a pretty good organiser and people forget he was the five-eighth when Nathan Cleary made his debut at Penrith in 2016 [Cartwright moved there the following weekend actually, replacing Jamie Soward], and helped Nathan with the transition," Brennan said.

DIEHARD
27-04-18, 09:14 PM
Gold Coast Titans props Jarrod Wallace and Ryan James on being back at Cbus Super Stadium
http://www.goldcoast.com.au

GOLD Coast’s NRL return to Cbus Super Stadium couldn’t come soon enough, with star prop Jarrod Wallace revealing the side fell short of the goals they set for their six-week travel block.

The Titans have not played at their Robina home field since Round 1, when they charged home to stun Canberra.

Since then, their travel path has taken them to Auckland, Toowoomba, Brisbane, Gladstone, Penrith and Townsville – and now back to the Coast, at last, to face Cronulla at 5.30pm tonight.

Wallace said a mission had been set to win four games in the six-week period between true home games and conceded they were disappointed to emerge with only two victories.

“A couple of us said we would like four from the six travelling,” he told the Bulletin.

“We were a little bit off but it wasn’t dire straits … now we have just got to be focusing on the rest of the year and now we’re back at home, that crowd and that atmosphere always helps us.

“And just that feeling of being in our sheds, being on our field always helps you as well. That’s our fortress where you don’t want to get beaten.

“We have still got plenty of games there to do that. We have got some tough games coming up too, especially the Sharks.”

Though unable to meet their lofty expectations, the side are still within striking distance with a 3-4 record.

“We would like to be going better but we’re definitely not going terrible,” Wallace added.

“It’s just such a tight comp at the moment. We’re not in a bad position.”

The match will be Wallace’s 100th at NRL level and he’ll get to lead the team out ahead of his old Titans under-18 teammate Ryan James.

“We played SG Ball together in 2009 so it’s going to be great running out behind him for his 100th game,” said James, now the club’s NRL skipper.

“He has come back to where it started and hopefully he can finish it here as well. I’d love to play with Jarrod long-term and I think we go well together up in the front-row.”

James was equally excited to return to Cbus, where they last year trounced the Sharks 30-10 in torrential conditions.

“Hopefully it’s going to be a packed stadium,” he said.

“The field is looking in the best condition it has looked in and I’m just stoked to be back home playing in front of my family.”

Dooldog76
28-04-18, 07:05 AM
It’s GF day. I’m pumped. I really hope we get a win.

TITAN PETE
28-04-18, 07:13 AM
Might have to get directions to the stadium , it's been a long wait

We'll win this

JunctionBlock
28-04-18, 08:05 AM
No Gallen, No Lewis and now no Graham. We can't ask for much more....surely.

Titanic
28-04-18, 08:28 AM
To Bodsie and DH (what does that mean again?) I am very disappointed to read that that’s the best you’ve got. Messenger was an overrated twat who lived off his reputation and the goodwill of the refs. As for the George ... no self-respecting person has ever called that watered-down, swill-serving hole their ‘local’.

Mr Bods
28-04-18, 09:00 AM
^^^ and now I’ve been well and truly told.
Today is so big, it’s so huge i can barely contain myself.
Dools stole my thunder but yes indeed this is GF Day on the GC.
Fire Up, get your family members fired up and get to this huge game for our season.
I don’t want this thread to be a miserable place at 8pm tonight

5 Year Contract
28-04-18, 09:56 AM
No but I remember in Rugby Days at Browne Park in Rocky watching NQ Army v SQ Army as a curtain raiser and the first 10 minutes was both teams bashing each other. Oh good times..... maybe the girls can do the same.

Remember them fondly! Im heading to the great browne park tonight to watch the coal train shamble around for the capras

RavShamrock
28-04-18, 10:59 AM
Remember them fondly! Im heading to the great browne park tonight to watch the coal train shamble around for the capras

5Y make sure you let us know how the big thunder bum goes?
Also, I'd be interested to hear if he's putting any more bums on seats up there?
cheers

- - - Updated - - -

No Gallen, No Lewis and now no Graham. We can't ask for much more....surely.

And Fifita as Captain :laugh:
That'll do me

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully Cartwright can blow the lid off today and if he does, I think we may well look back at this day as the "RECKONING" (well that's what I'm calling it anyway).
After a mammoth team bonding road trip and near close to a full strength side there should be no excuses. Go get em boys!!!!!!

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 11:55 AM
Titans glad to be home

GOLD Coast’s NRL return to Cbus Super Stadium couldn’t come soon enough, with star prop Jarrod Wallace revealing the side fell short of the goals they set for their six-week travel block.

The Titans have not played at their Robina home field since Round 1, when they charged home to stun Canberra.

Since then, their travel path has taken them to Auckland, Toowoomba, Brisbane, Gladstone, Penrith and Townsville – and now back to the Coast, at last, to face Cronulla tonight at 5.30pm.

Wallace said a mission had been set to win four games in the six-week period between true home games and conceded they were disappointed to emerge with only two victories.

“A couple of us said we would like four from the six travelling,” he told the Bulletin.

“We were a little bit off but it wasn’t dire straits … now we have just got to be focusing on the rest of the year and now we’re back at home, that crowd and that atmosphere always helps us.

“And just that feeling of being in our sheds, being on our field always helps you as well.
“That’s our fortress where you don’t want to get beaten.

“We have still got plenty of games there to do that. We have got some tough games coming up too, especially the Sharks.”

Though unable to meet their lofty expectations, the side are still within striking distance with a 3-4 record.

“We would like to be going better but we’re definitely not going terrible,” Wallace added.

“It’s just such a tight comp at the moment. We’re not in a bad position.”

The match will be Wallace’s 100th at NRL level and he’ll get to lead the team out ahead of his old Titans under-18 teammate Ryan James.

“We played SG Ball together in 2009 so it’s going to be great running out behind him for his 100th game,” said James, now the club’s NRL skipper.

“He has come back to where it started and hopefully he can finish it here as well. I’d love to play with Jarrod longterm and I think we go well together up in the front-row.”

James was equally excited to return to Cbus, where they last year trounced the Sharks 30-10 in torrential conditions.
“Hopefully it’s going to be a packed stadium,” he said.

“The field is looking in the best condition it has looked in and I’m just stoked to be back home playing in front of my family.”

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 12:06 PM
Sharks coach Shane Flanagan says Dugan will play at fullback, Moylan will play at five-eighth

SHARKS coach Shane Flanagan has revealed a dislocated shoulder to star recruit Matt Moylan forced him to play six different spine combinations in the first seven rounds.

The five-eighth suffered a shoulder injury in round two against the Dragons and was eased back into NRL action from the back when he returned in round five.

Matters were complicated even further fullback Josh Dugan picked up a groin strain against the Eels in round three.

“At some stages earlier in the year I had to play a little bit of the game,” Flanagan said.

“To be really honest Matty had a bad shoulder injury.

“He subluxed his shoulder in a game out here in round two or round three and struggled with contact. “We had to protect him a little bit and that’s why we had to play him at fullback.

Matt Moylan dislocated his shoulder against the Dragons.

“Two of those players we were pushing them to get ready for week in week out.”

Flanagan had previously declared Moylan was the best fullback at the club.

But with both players now fully fit and after his side’s gutsy 26-22 win over the Panthers last weekend, Flanagan says he’s finally settled on a spine.

“Is that what I’m going to settle on in my spine? 100 per cent,” he said.

“That’s where we trained in the off-season. In the back of my mind I probably always thought that was our best combination.
“Josh [Dugan] got the coach’s award from all the coaches and Matty Moylan had a hand in all the tries.

“They’re both over their injuries which is great ... I think we will see the best of them over the next couple of weeks.”

With his attacking combination determined, Valentine Holmes looks to be locked into a wing spot at least for the foreseeable future.

The representative flyer was eyeing a switch to fullback but the arrival of Dugan and Moylan has seen him drop down the pecking order for a number one jumper.

“Everyone wanted Val to play fullback, Val just wanted to try fullback,” he said.

“We gave it 12 months last year, he did a reasonable job but he’s a quality winger and at the moment he’s the best right winger we have in our club.

“Val will do whatever the team requires of him.

“He’s contracted here for a couple of years. He won’t be going anywhere.”

With his key men decided and healthy, Flanagan’s focus ahead of Saturday’s clash against the Titans shifts to his injury woes in the forwards.

Backrower Wade Graham was ruled out of the game with a hamstring injury and did not fly to the Gold Coast and is now looking for a return next week against Parramatta. Captain Paul Gallen and Luke Lewis are also out through injury.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 12:39 PM
League Unlimited preview - http://leagueunlimited.com/news/31709-titans-v-sharks-preview/

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 12:47 PM
http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/FullSizeRender-3.jpg

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 12:47 PM
http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/FullSizeRender-4.jpg

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 05:23 PM
Jarrod Wallace will play his 100th game tonight.

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 05:35 PM
#### first touch of the ball for Koni and he lost it... :frown:

BundyTitan
Nothing we don’t already know but Koni is really struggling, seriously his error rate...

gotitans101_
how many mistakes does this plum have to make to get demoted?

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 05:38 PM
Yea held up.

gotitans101_
28-04-18, 05:39 PM
fibber Koni

Whats Doing
28-04-18, 05:49 PM
How many games do we let in the first try. FFS

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 05:54 PM
Deadset what other club has their former coach follow them around like a commentary ghost?

BundyTitan
28-04-18, 05:57 PM
Absolutely frustrating game. We have actually been the better side but once again as Brennan said "we can be a dumb football team". We make two breaks and both lead to errors and then this one leads to a penalty as well. Need to smarten up and quick.

rj62
28-04-18, 05:57 PM
#### first touch of the ball for Koni and he lost it... :frown:

Time must be coming ..,

gotitans101_
28-04-18, 06:00 PM
Arrow...what a future he has. He's in everything.

Whats Doing
28-04-18, 06:00 PM
Completion rate 60 percent. Do we ever learn

BundyTitan
28-04-18, 06:12 PM
Completion rate 60 percent. Do we ever learn

And that try there is what happens when you defend so much...Cronulla are over

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 06:13 PM
****. Jai Arrow off injured (ribs?)

Boonarga
28-04-18, 06:16 PM
Has Taylor touched the ball in their 20?

Mr Bods
28-04-18, 06:23 PM
Has Taylor touched the ball in their 20?

I just told Taylor to get involved in the game
These referees are giving us nothing

What’s the go with Arrow??

gotitans101_
28-04-18, 06:25 PM
****. Jai Arrow off injured (ribs?)

they said Back injury on ABC grandstand. Dunno if he'll be back.

NZFan
28-04-18, 06:27 PM
Ash continuing to fade out of games. Koni's hands have been terrible but his running metres have been good

GCTTSD
28-04-18, 06:28 PM
Forwards are holding there own, the only difference between the two sides is the halves, if ash can take control and we can hold the ball we can win

BundyTitan
28-04-18, 06:36 PM
On a positive note Elliot has been pretty solid in defence. Hasn’t offered much in attack but his defence has been good.

- - - Updated - - -

We seriously need to hold the bloody ball and score, Sharks errors are giving us chance after chance.

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 06:40 PM
You beauty. Rein scores from dummy half, near the posts. I think that was a try, even though we couldn't get a good look at it.

Glad we didn't go for the two, which was my impulse at the time.

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 06:41 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rein throws the dummy and burrows over!<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TelstraPremiership?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TelstraPremiership</a><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NRLTitansSharks?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NRLTitansSharks</a><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NRL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NRL</a> <a href="https://t.co/D1VoB04Mve">pic.twitter.com/D1VoB04Mve</a></p>&mdash; NRL (@NRL) <a href="https://twitter.com/NRL/status/990148639463899136?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 28, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" ch****t="utf-8"></script>

gotitans101_
28-04-18, 06:47 PM
to you guys at the ground, well done, you're REALLY loud on TV lol

Yessss, Arrow is ready to come back.

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 06:48 PM
to you guys at the ground, well done, you're REALLY loud on TV lol

Yea and in trying circumstances. Lots of rain.

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 06:49 PM
Tremendous defence Gold Coast! Could turn the game.

gotitans101_
28-04-18, 06:50 PM
awesome D there

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 06:51 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The cover defence the <a href="https://twitter.com/GCTitans?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@GCTitans</a>! ��<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NRLTitansSharks?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NRLTitansSharks</a> 8-9 after 54 minutes.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NRL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NRL</a> <a href="https://t.co/tP2VWysNol">pic.twitter.com/tP2VWysNol</a></p>&mdash; NRL (@NRL) <a href="https://twitter.com/NRL/status/990151311420096513?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 28, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" ch****t="utf-8"></script>

gotitans101_
28-04-18, 06:55 PM
i'd like to see Taylor run the ball more tbh

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 06:57 PM
Forward pass from B.Cartwright....

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 06:59 PM
Laugh out loud moment when Dugan knocks on.

gotitans101_
28-04-18, 06:59 PM
lol Dugan.....

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 07:05 PM
Crowd 12,713

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 07:19 PM
Sweet shot, we are level.

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 07:22 PM
WTF B.Cartwright, should have passed not dummied.

And now the Sharks are up 10-9 with a minute to go... They'll just kick this out.

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 07:24 PM
That's it. Charge down off B.Cartwright will wind the clock down. Frustrating. I thought we were the better team. But couldn't complete and poor last tackle options.

gotitans101_
28-04-18, 07:26 PM
Carty is still dog****. Too big, too slow to be a 5/8.

Randomologist
28-04-18, 07:27 PM
Yes we lost, Cartwright shouldn't be half and we didn't complete well but our defence was great, good signs and maybe Brimson to get a run next week?

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 07:29 PM
He threw too many forward passes and flat balls. Seems like he doesn't want to take the line on.

rj62
28-04-18, 07:32 PM
He threw too many forward passes and flat balls. Seems like he doesn't want to take the line on.

Neither he or Ash look interested in taking the line on. Compare that to Moylan who makes it his game to have a go.

Boys have seriously got to have a go

Mr Bods
28-04-18, 07:33 PM
Proctor effort at the end was terrible
This one hurts

gotitans101_
28-04-18, 07:33 PM

He just isn't a half. Do we have any other halves to choose from besides Elgey?

Neither he or Ash look interested in taking the line on. Compare that to Moylan who makes it his game to have a go.

Boys have seriously got to have a go

Agree, Ash too predictable. Pass to Proctor. Pass to Proctor. Put a grubber in...he never runs it and the opposition knows he won't.

Dooldog76
28-04-18, 07:36 PM
That hurt.... a lot

gotitans101_
28-04-18, 07:36 PM
I'm not as hurt as others, funnily enough. Because the effort was there for the full 80 unlike last week. Pretty proud with how we defended tonight tbh.

NZFan
28-04-18, 07:40 PM
Cartwright is already reminding me of zillman. Payed way too much and picked because he is the coaches pet. All he had to do was pass and we win but went for the hero play. The way our forwards and bench went tonight I don't see a place for him in the 17.

On the other hand Elliot was good. Strong defensively

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 07:42 PM
Cartwright is already reminding me of zillman. Payed way too much and picked because he is the coaches pet. All he had to do was pass and we win but went for the hero play. The way our forwards and bench went tonight I don't see a place for him in the 17.

I'm also getting a David Taylor vibe...

Dooldog76
28-04-18, 07:47 PM
On the other hand Elliot was good. Strong defensively

Offered nothing

gotitans101_
28-04-18, 07:47 PM
yea Dave Taylor v2

Dooldog76
28-04-18, 07:59 PM
Cartwright looked like he had no ideas or creativity at all. He was awful. The stupid errors and penalties cruelled us. Arrow is god. I’m getting drunk now.

- - - Updated - - -

^^^ and now I’ve been well and truly told.
Today is so big, it’s so huge i can barely contain myself.
Dools stole my thunder but yes indeed this is GF Day on the GC.
Fire Up, get your family members fired up and get to this huge game for our season.
I don’t want this thread to be a miserable place at 8pm tonight

Sorry bodsie, I just saw this. Couldn’t help myself

Randomologist
28-04-18, 08:11 PM
Does anyone know how Elgey went for Tweed?

JunctionBlock
28-04-18, 08:17 PM
Just got home, no disrespect but I haven't read the comments.

Not a Brennan hater nor will I start to be but this loss falls firmly on his shoulders for his team selection.

Cartwright has surely proven now that he is a 2nd rower that can't tackle and a 5/8 that can't make plays. All he did for me tonight is reaffirm that he is the trouble in the team not LG. When we get a real 2nd rower defending out wide we hold the line (yes it helps when the other team just throw one out hit ups at you) however when he comes on in off the bench (previous games) as a 2nd rower we leak points (case in point the Cowboys game). What a plodder.

Not sure how the refs keep their jobs but I'm sure they under instruction to make life hard for us.

*Puts on Anti-Hurrell Brigade hat*. All I'll say is, First three touches. That is all.

Now to show you the respect and read your comments.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't see the game but people at the ground said he killed it. Apparently Latu did as well? Someone may need to confirm that.

Looks like it looked the same on TV as it did at the ground.

Dooldog76
28-04-18, 08:21 PM

Carved it up in the first half with AJ. Set up a couple of tries and scored two

Titan68
28-04-18, 08:23 PM
“ AGREED 1000 per cent JunctionBlock , with your comment. “

Dobes
28-04-18, 08:26 PM
I think we need to drop Hurrell and Proctor personally. Like JB said, Hurrells first three touches were just shocking. I don’t think Proctor provides anything in attack. Every time he runs the ball he just stops once someone gets him, much like Aaron Woods does. And he makes a lot of mistakes.

BundyTitan
28-04-18, 08:28 PM
Well that was a bludger of a game and a shattering finish. Was willing to let Brennan give Cartwright a go at 6 but obviously we can tell that he is not a half's ****hole. Can't kick and just tips on the ball and looks like he's having a Sunday stroll. Honestly if we don't see Brimson get a shot next week in the 6 jersey that will just about do me. Give the kid a shot, at least he would be energetic and add some spark.

Arrow is an absolute god and we better hold onto him for the next decade, never gives up and works his ass off. James also good as was Hipgrave.

Elliot whislt not flashy in attack was great in defence and tightened up that left edge. Should definitely hold his spot.

Hurrell played somewhat better this week but the first run of the game he drops it. Just doesn't look threatening with the ball anymore. Shadow of what he was the last 2 years

Well another loss for the books and not the worst performance defensively but ball handling and attack wasn't good enough. Move on to next week down in Canberra where we must have a different #6. BRING IN BRIMSON!

Mr Bods
28-04-18, 08:29 PM
I’m gutted
3W 5L
We are in trouble now
We have issues to fix for sure
Effort good but structurally Brennan needs to work on things
I still think Cartwright should be a Mid Forward coming off the bench
James 2nd row
LG 5/8

Referees killed us no doubt they gave us nothing
Cartwright dummy killed us too
BUT there was a defensive effort by Proctor on the tackle before the 2nd FG by Cronulla that was so pathetic at such a big moment that I’ll never forget it.
I don’t think I’ll comment again tonight
It just sucks

gotitans101_
28-04-18, 08:34 PM
We.need.Roberts.Back.

Or go to the market and look for an established 5/8 who can take pressure off Ash. Only have to look at what Blake Green has done to Johnson's game this year at the Warriors.

Dobes
28-04-18, 08:40 PM
We.need.Roberts.Back.

Or go to the market and look for an established 5/8 who can take pressure off Ash. Only have to look at what Blake Green has done to Johnson's game this year at the Warriors.

I think we need to chase Ryley Jacks hard. I think he’s the sort of half we need for sure. Elgey only plays well when his confidence is up and Cartwright just doesn’t belong there.

Titan68
28-04-18, 08:44 PM
Hurrell needs to be dropped. It always seems , when you take a player out of the Storm system , and put them at another club , it just doesnt work the way it should , RE - Kevin Proctor

NZFan
28-04-18, 08:45 PM
Saw the Tweed game on TV and Elgey looked really good for 70min. Tried a little too much in the last 10 when they were 20 points up but pretty much played like he did when he first burst on to the scene for the Titans. Set up a couple, took the line on and scored one of his own as well. Also had a really good combination with Brimson at the back. Be interesting to see what Garth does because I'm sure the commentators said Tweed have the week off next week, is there any point on him sitting around watching when he could be playing and getting his confidence back.

Also on Brimson, they interviewed Wolfe mid game and he said that Brimsons best rugby has been at fullback this year. He did say that he could easily play either five-eighth or fullback but seemed to look a little less comfortable at the start of the season in the five eighth role, particularly trying in controlling the team.

Latu looked good as well. Didn't do anything spectacular but carried strong which is what we want him doing.

gotitans101_
28-04-18, 08:47 PM
I saw that game and yeah, Elgey / Brimson combo was dangerous but it's not as if the Cutters threw much at Tweed tbh. It looked more like a training run for them.

Dobes
28-04-18, 09:31 PM
Shall we start a thread for next weeks game?

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 09:36 PM
Shall we start a thread for next weeks game?

Oh yea thanks for reminding me. http://www.leagueoftitans.com.au/showthread.php?28829-Round-8-RAIDERS-vs-TITANS-(2018)

Dobes
28-04-18, 09:39 PM
Oh yea thanks for reminding me. http://www.leagueoftitans.com.au/showthread.php?28829-Round-8-RAIDERS-vs-TITANS-(2018)

No worries. :banana:

RavShamrock
28-04-18, 09:48 PM
Defensive oriented game tonight and the sharks basically out defended us (they scrapped better). In saying that we were light years in front of how we defended against the cows.
After an average first half we were pretty unlucky and could have won the game with around 2:41 left on the clock when Ash put a bomb ending in an unbelievable flick pass from Cartwright to James whom wasn’t ready and went straight thru his fingers.

The negativity being sent Cartwright’s way is unwarranted IMO. Even though he was far from perfect he had a pretty good game and for those who say he did’t run enough he ran for 76m to Moyland's 80m. I think Ash ran for 7m.

We need some bloody second phase play for goodness sake our offload number were pathetic at 9.

Also our all round kicking game was crap and we only kicked for 276m to their 422m.

Even though Arrow was off for some time he ran for 194m wow! Thats right we have a gun.

All in all not the result we wanted but I personally think this was a step in the right direction. They will certainly improve on that for next week if its any consolation.

We’re not out of the fold yet Bodsy.

Whats Doing
28-04-18, 09:50 PM
No Gallen, no Lewis, no Graham and we still lost at home.

Just not good enough whichever way you look at it.

indoallstars
28-04-18, 10:00 PM
No Gallen, no Lewis, no Graham and we still lost at home.

Just not good enough whichever way you look at it.

Agreed, I am not surprised we are favourites for wooden spoon. We played a half strength sharks team at home, and still lost, didn't even look like we would get a try in their red zone.

Atay has been piss poor, he goes missing in games, he doesn't command the ball, can't manage the team, barely even went for a repeat set.

Cartwright didn't set the world on fire but we also didn't look as suspect on our left edge whilst defending.

Koni, proctor also been poor this season, they are suppose to be senior leaders for our young squad. Koni is just dumb and and makes silly errors in crucial periods, proctor is lazy and never sets in the defensive line.

Thank God we got Jai Arrow, Hipgrave, King, seems they are the only ones putting in. I didn't mind Elliot in left centre as well, made a few mistakes but looked solid defensively.

I hope at the end of this season Brennan puts a broom through the squad and only keeps the players which put in each week and want to be here. The rest can jog on, I dont care how big a names they are.

gotitans101_
28-04-18, 10:06 PM
Watching the press conference.....

It doesn't sound like we'll be rid of Carty in the 6 anytime soon :(

RavShamrock
28-04-18, 10:17 PM
Watching the press conference.....

It doesn't sound like we'll be rid of Carty in the 6 anytime soon :(

Nor we should be IMO

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 10:47 PM
The rest can jog on, I dont care how big a names they are.

Proctor.

teke
29-04-18, 01:10 AM
Good close game between 2 teams that will finish near each other at seasons end.

Once again there was little running impact from the back 3 and even less from the halfs, all the running was left up to the overworked forwards who are doing great work.

I am fine with LG being dropped, he was in cruise mode in the Q Cup today and showed he was a level above when he ran. I personally dont think this club is going to get the best out of him, he needs to move on and I know the perfect place :D

Taylor, LG, Carty whoever in the halves...just test the line at least once plz

DIEHARD
29-04-18, 02:23 AM
Presser link https://www.titans.com.au/news/2018/04/28/post-match-press-conference/

NZFan
29-04-18, 06:31 AM
The only thing more frustrating than watching that game is watching the press conference. Was Garth watching the same game?

rj62
29-04-18, 07:17 AM
Good close game between 2 teams that will finish near each other at seasons end.

Once again there was little running impact from the back 3 and even less from the halfs, all the running was left up to the overworked forwards who are doing great work.

I am fine with LG being dropped, he was in cruise mode in the Q Cup today and showed he was a level above when he ran. I personally dont think this club is going to get the best out of him, he needs to move on and I know the perfect place :D

Taylor, LG, Carty whoever in the halves...just test the line at least once plz

Couldn’t agree more re testing the line......just once would be novelty . Seems like they both either lack confidence or are scared of being hurt in a tackle.

JunctionBlock
29-04-18, 07:29 AM
Presser link https://www.titans.com.au/news/2018/04/28/post-match-press-conference/

Just switched it off. I'm at a loss. He has a pet and he takes precedence over local products apparently and he won't waver. There are only two people on the Gold Coast that think Cartwright did alright tonight and I don't have to unignore one of them on this forum to know that he'll be trying to justify his comments earlier in the week.

Teke, if you want LG I wish him all the best and get out of the club. Go somewhere you'll be appreciated. It'll be another Keary IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Couldn’t agree more re testing the line......just once would be novelty . Seems like they both either lack confidence or are scared of being hurt in a tackle.

Not according to Brennan, Cartwright tested the line by taking a couple of hit ups (because he's a got a bigger body). Probably had something to do with everyone over running him because he plays at the pace of Nate Myles.

DIEHARD
29-04-18, 12:52 PM
I really hope we aren't seeing another coach/pet relationship develop. But for me we aren't there yet.

Mr Bods
29-04-18, 01:01 PM
Well after 3 consecutive losses it’s pretty safe to say that the Brennan love is fading away.

RavShamrock
29-04-18, 02:03 PM
I think we’re a fickle lot that have been bashed into pessimism

Mr Bods
29-04-18, 03:14 PM
If we lose this week then it’s 4 losses in a row. That’s when a coach starts to find out who his friends really are and when fans start to really turn feral.

DIEHARD
29-04-18, 03:36 PM
Well after 3 consecutive losses it’s pretty safe to say that the Brennan love is fading away.

Nah I'm still hanging in there. He at least started to drop players. Just hope we don't see a Zillman Effect happening.

It's only Round 7.

Mr Bods
29-04-18, 03:52 PM
Nah I'm still hanging in there. He at least started to drop players. Just hope we don't see a Zillman Effect happening.

It's only Round 7.

In here with the more astute followers things will be much calmer than out there in the Facebook/Twitter/newspaper comments/bar flys world.

DIEHARD
29-04-18, 03:55 PM
In here with the more astute followers things will be much calmer than out there in the Facebook/Twitter/newspaper comments/bar flys world.

True.

http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/R5p9G94.gif

rj62
29-04-18, 07:15 PM

It's only Round 7.

Yeah me too, I’m not going to start throwing rocks at a bloke after half a dozen rounds. We were 15th with 2 wins after round 8 last year so for mine we are in front.

Our problem is we all want results NOW and realistically that’s not going to happen. I’m pretty sure that was the consensus once Garth was appointed and the roster changed.

I bloody well hope it does but all things being equal if we made the 8 this year I’d be happy as a pig in the proverbial.

I vowed to try not to get in the negative bandwagon too soon and I’m sticking with it and still have faith in the coach big time.

#thrunthru

RavShamrock
29-04-18, 07:21 PM
Yeah me too, I’m not going to start throwing rocks at a bloke after half a dozen rounds. We were 15th with 2 wins after round 8 last year so for mine we are in front.

Our problem is we all want results NOW and realistically that’s not going to happen. I’m pretty sure that was the consensus once Garth was appointed and the roster changed.

I bloody well hope it does but all things being equal if we made the 8 this year I’d be happy as a pig in the proverbial.

I vowed to try not to get in the negative bandwagon too soon and I’m sticking with it and still have faith in the coach big time.

#thrunthru

:thumbsup:

Dooldog76
29-04-18, 08:01 PM
I think Brennan is great, still think Cartwright in the halves is a mistake but you have to give things a go for more than a week. If there’s no improvement in his game in that position then I expect Garth to drop him as he has done with latu and Elgey. Time will tell.

DavidBouveng
29-04-18, 09:31 PM
Ash really hasn't done a lot since the first week when he brought us back into the fold against the raiders.

Matt Johns is all over ash as the next big thing, but i think Nathan Cleary is TWICE the footballer, athlete and professional that Ash is at this point and Cleary is a few years younger.

I hope LG gets some confidence in Q Cup - that is what had him primed for his debut a few years ago so lets hope. Most of the forwards have been ok - Arrow, Wallace and King the standouts for me.

i dont know if Ash cant pass to the right, or he and Proctor cant time it, but Proctor is always having to turn, or slow, or reach high for his pass and so can never hit the line properly.

Koni is a hot mess, and his first THREE touches were drops. He is lucky the second was after a shark error, and the third he got lucky with a penalty. he looks sweaty and unfit and i cringe every time he has the ball.

Elliot defended MUCH better then i could have hoped, and actually Ash was super strong on his side. Seems we only let them make metres in the last minute when it counted most... unfortunate.

Arrow should be first picked for QLD and is doing it all with a crook back. most of the others should be a bit embarrassed the new guy is carrying the team on his back. I joked to a friend when we were down 9-2 other night that Arrow would have to score the try, kick the goal, the field goal then take in the pads and corner post after the game by himself as he is the only bloke out there it seems. Wallace has been a willing ally for Arrow. Broncs must be on suicide watch.

From memory the tigers werent too crash hot last year when ivan came in round 4, and its taken them a full year to turn it around, which is still surprisingly quick, so maybe we need to give it some time for the Brennan method to sink in and become the titans method.

that said - almost all of our good recruits are still Neil Henry's (and his team's) doing - Arrow, Wallace, Ash, Copley, King etc. Brennan gets doughnuts for his so far, except for Rein who gets a pass mark. Lets hope he is the football player whisperer he is alleged to be and these guys come good.

Whats Doing
30-04-18, 01:57 AM
I think Garth is going great with cattle he was dealt with although I do question some of his players he had brought in. Look at Newcastle, it took 3 years to rebuild the disaster that Bennett built but it requires a punt on exciting talent a la Ponga and a blend of experience such as Pearce, Griffen etc. Now I would be taking a big punt on Haas and or TJP

Titanic
30-04-18, 02:50 AM
Ponga is a once in a generation player.

DavidBouveng
30-04-18, 06:18 AM
yeah the difference is that Brown made the choice to break Newcastle down to beaded glass and start from the lowest of the low.

Garth ( and Neil who could have done the same as Brown at the same time, but chose to top up rather than rebuild and now we are behind the knights developmentally ) looks like he is going to rebuild on the fly rather than bust it up.

Whether or not they had Ponga Pearce etc this year, Brown has taught them all RUGBY LEAGUE and how to be an NRL player over the last few years, and they have a solid foundation of what is required, so all they needed was a top up of class, and were in fact already beginning to compete with out them last year.

It means newcastle dropped lower and won spoons but have built strength and lasting change whereas we are in danger of just floating around the mid to low areas for the foreseeable future

NZFan
30-04-18, 07:37 AM
I don't think we have got to the point where we have needed to do that though DB. Neil built us a squad which should be able to compete and has done it by bringing local players home. He begun installing that sense of pride in the jersey but unfortunately was undone by the decision to bring in a marketing machine which I think he had nothing to do with. I think we are still seeing the effects of what Jarryd did on Ash because the way he sulks and drifts out of games is exactly the same as Jarryd did.

In saying that I'm not unhappy that Garth is there. He has shown some promising signs of being a good coach. I'm just a bit concerned that he has his blinders on when he it comes to a few players which he has had previous experience with. It was good to see he dropped Latu because he was going terribly, but Cartwright has played 20min of good rugby since being here and has been in the 17 every week. After seeing the article about Bryce's girlfriend texting Garth after the Broncos game concerned of his mental state, I wonder if he has the heart to drop him.

I feel our squad just really lacks some ex factor. Although Mick has been really solid at fullback, I think he could do just as good as job as Don on the wing so be shifted to accomodate Brimson at fullback. It's clear we aren't going to seriously challenge the comp this year (or even the eight) so why not bring him in and get used to the big grade. It worked for Dufty last year and AJ really does have something we are missing - speed and agility.

I also would love to see us have a play at TPJ or Haas to add some size to our front row and move James back out to Elgeys edge. Not only would it beef up our forwards but it has the added benefit of getting one back on the donkeys as well!