PDA

View Full Version : Round 7: COWBOYS vs TITANS (2018)

DIEHARD
15-04-18, 03:46 PM
COWBOYS vs TITANS

Mr Bods
15-04-18, 04:10 PM
We can’t afford to be 3W 4L
So after dropping today’s game it’s time for the medical staff to work overtime and the footy dept to really lock it down this week
This is a “mini GF”.
We have to overcome today quickly and win this one.

lonegull
15-04-18, 04:27 PM
Worried about what sort of side the titans will assemble, peats if out worries me as this means rein will start and simpkins will have a bench spot as cover
Plus the cowboys will be out to get a win in a big way in front their home crowd, not linking this already could be a bad one if the cowboys and Thurston click

JunctionBlock
15-04-18, 04:47 PM
We're playing better than the Cowboys and that statement includes todays result.

Dooldog76
15-04-18, 07:51 PM
It all depends on our injuries

Titanic
16-04-18, 01:07 AM
I have no problem with Rein replacing Peats ... both have their advantages. James and Boyle should be back while Stockwell will be better for the run.

Mr Bods
16-04-18, 10:42 AM
Grand Final week in Townsville, we have James back, Boyle was concussed so we expect him back, Copley an unknown as I expected him to be out however Brennan described him as having “hamstring tightness” and made it sound like he was taken off due to it being a precaution. So maybe Copley plays.
The definite out is Peats. So who will be the number 17, Simpkins is a contender but he looked like he wasn’t able to keep pace with the game yesterday after his long period out and a few games in QCup.

How about giving Brimson the 17 jumper and a stint at hooker? Does he have playing say 30mins at hooker in him??

JunctionBlock
16-04-18, 01:15 PM
I don't think Brimson has even been named in our 21 yet. I'd say it will be Simpkins.

indoallstars
16-04-18, 02:19 PM
I hope they run with Rein as an 80min hooker, and have a bench of Max King, Morgan Boyle, Keegan Hipgrave, Jack Stockwell. Try match up there forward pack.

Dobes
16-04-18, 03:02 PM
From Fox Sports:

Titans mail: Dale Copley is expected to be rested this week after suffering a hamstring strain over the weekend. Tyronne Roberts-Davis is an option to replace him, as is Brendan Elliot who has had two weeks back from injury.

Nathan Peats (rib cartilage) won’t play which means Mitch Rein will start at hooker and could play 80 minutes. Ryan Simpkins is likely to be kept on the bench as a utility option in case Rein needs a break.

In a boost for the team, Ryan James returns from suspension and Morgan Boyle (concussion) is also expected to return.

Upthetits
16-04-18, 03:36 PM
Nothing on arrows back spasms...?

Titanic
16-04-18, 03:45 PM
I used to have spasms :laugh: but it was soooo long ago it's just a distant memory :nope:

RavShamrock
16-04-18, 03:53 PM
I hope they run with Rein as an 80min hooker, and have a bench of Max King, Morgan Boyle, Keegan Hipgrave, Jack Stockwell. Try match up there forward pack.

Right or wrong he will run with Simpkins to give Rein some type of rest.
80 minutes would be to long to expect Rein to be competitive over at this stage.

rj62
16-04-18, 04:09 PM
Ash ok re concussion ? He was out of sorts after his knock.

Have a mate who is located in Townsville and attends all games and long time supporter. JT is struggling big time with his shoulder. Add that to the overall form and all going well we can have a win.
He also has some name contacts there so waiting for anything he might pass along.

- - - Updated - - -

I used to have spasms :laugh: but it was soooo long ago it's just a distant memory :nope:

:laugh:

Upthetits
16-04-18, 05:30 PM
5 losses in a row now for the cowboys with Paul green just resigning. They will come out firing you'd imagine

5 Year Contract
16-04-18, 06:43 PM
5 losses in a row now for the cowboys with Paul green just resigning. They will come out firing you'd imagine

Yep massive danger game! Cowboys have been off the pace so far this year but trust our luck they will finally hit some form this weekend. I still think we are the better team at the moment. Hoping our forwards and halves use this to make a big statement!

Mr Bods
16-04-18, 07:03 PM
Grand Final week in Townsville, we have James back, Boyle was concussed so we expect him back, Copley an unknown as I expected him to be out however Brennan described him as having “hamstring tightness” and made it sound like he was taken off due to it being a precaution. So maybe Copley plays.
The definite out is Peats. So who will be the number 17, Simpkins is a contender but he looked like he wasn’t able to keep pace with the game yesterday after his long period out and a few games in QCup.
How about giving Brimson the 17 jumper and a stint at hooker? Does he have playing say 30mins at hooker in him??

I’m quoting myself in the hope that I get some answers this time..maybe from HS or mdrew
Is Brimson up to the number 17 role and maybe doing 30mins at hooker?

mdrew
16-04-18, 07:06 PM
No mate, I think it would be unfair on AJ he is just finding his feet at fullback in the QCup

I’m quoting myself in the hope that I get some answers this time..maybe from HS or mdrew
Is Brimson up to the number 17 role and maybe doing 30mins at hooker?

Mr Bods
16-04-18, 07:10 PM
No mate, I think it would be unfair on AJ he is just finding his feet at fullback in the QCup

Thanks mdrew-one last question
Do we have any other number 17 hooker/utility options in our squad other than Simpkins?

I’m a huge fan of Simpkins but he looked off the pace for NRL on Sunday, I’d suggest he needs another two full games in QCup.

gotitans101_
16-04-18, 07:32 PM
Tipping us to get blown off the park for this one. Sorry boys & girls.

mdrew
16-04-18, 07:47 PM
Not really mate

Thanks mdrew-one last question
Do we have any other number 17 hooker/utility options in our squad other than Simpkins?

I’m a huge fan of Simpkins but he looked off the pace for NRL on Sunday, I’d suggest he needs another two full games in QCup.

Bayside Titan
17-04-18, 09:52 AM
Update: @GCTitans lose Nathan Peats (fractured rib) and Dale Copley (hamstring) for Queensland derby with Cowboys @NRLcom

nrl.com/news/2018/04/1…

#NRL*

Mr Bods
17-04-18, 10:00 AM
Update: @GCTitans lose Nathan Peats (fractured rib) and Dale Copley (hamstring) for Queensland derby with Cowboys @NRLcom

nrl.com/news/2018/04/1…

#NRL*

Damn Damn Damn
This game is so incredibly important

BundyTitan
17-04-18, 10:06 AM
Going to be without Peats for a few weeks which will hurt. If only Lawton hadn't left he'd have that bench spot, but not he's stuck behind like 5 hookers at the Warriors. So guessing Simpkins will stay in the 17 jersey and come on to give Rein a spell. At least his defence is solid I guess but not ideal.

Also guessing that Lee or most likely Elliot will be brought in for Copley.

A couple of big losses but at least we get James and Boyle back which will help against this monster Cowboys pack. We have to keep them moving and tire them out this week. Other teams have been exploiting it so we need to do the same.

RavShamrock
17-04-18, 10:09 AM
This could turn out to be a blessing Bodsy.
Rein just might reign and and Brenko just might be the go too

JunctionBlock
17-04-18, 11:01 AM
https://i.imgur.com/IGgn9Hx.jpg

Someones mistaken.

GCTTSD
17-04-18, 01:07 PM
Peatsy said on Twitter that out of all the injuries he's had this one is the most painful

gotitans101_
17-04-18, 03:41 PM
Rib injuries are always the most painful so I'm not surprised in the slightest.

timor 2
17-04-18, 04:07 PM
Titans: 1 Michael Gordon, 2 Anthony Don, 3 Phillip Sami, 4 Konrad Hurrell, 5 Tyronne Roberts-Davis, 6 Kane Elgey, 7 Ashley Taylor, 8 Jarrod Wallace, 9 Mitch Rein, 10 Ryan James (c), 11 Kevin Proctor, 12 Will Matthews, 13 Jai Arrow

Interchange: 14 Max King, 15 Bryce Cartwright, 16 Jack Stockwell, 17 Keegan Hipgrave

Reserves: 18 Morgan Boyle, 19 Ryan Simpkins, 20 Brenko Lee, 21 Brendan Elliot

Phillip Sami shifts from wing to centre for Dale Copley (hamstring) with Tyronne Roberts-Davis called up on the flank. Mitch Rein starts at hooker for Nathan Peats (ribs). Ryan James (suspension) returns at prop, pushing Max King to the bench where Keegan Hipgrave also replaces Ryan Simpkins. Lock Jai Arrow has been named after overcoming back spasms that ended his round six early.

JunctionBlock
17-04-18, 04:08 PM
https://i.imgur.com/G3ik2jP.png

shamus
17-04-18, 04:48 PM
If I was Cowboys I would run at TRD all day. Me thinks we are gunna get smashed.

Bayside Titan
17-04-18, 05:03 PM
It’s a juggling act. Some were questioning Reins signing me included however now it comforting that we have a quality hooker to replace Peats for a while.

JunctionBlock
17-04-18, 05:23 PM
If I was Cowboys I would run at TRD all day. Me thinks we are gunna get smashed.

THis team is about seizing your opportunities when they present themselves. Lee and Elliot on the extended bench. TRD has every reason to perform above his capabilities.

Hope the Cowboys underestimate us like some are already.

shamus
17-04-18, 06:00 PM
THis team is about seizing your opportunities when they present themselves. Lee and Elliot on the extended bench. TRD has every reason to perform above his capabilities.

Hope the Cowboys underestimate us like some are already.

I think that was a dig at me. All good, I don’t like bagging players as they always give their all but I remember watching TRD play fullback not so long ago and he was on a different planet when it came to making a tackle. He appeared only half interested. There has been a game or two since where he has done something similar. I hope I am proved wrong this time around and he has a blinder..

GCTTSD
17-04-18, 06:07 PM
Interesting that Lee not named for Burleigh while Elliot and Simpkins are for tweed, don't think Lee's injured so maybe he might squeeze in the 17

gotitans101_
17-04-18, 06:46 PM
Lee can't tackle either remember

JunctionBlock
17-04-18, 07:52 PM
I think that was a dig at me. All good, I don’t like bagging players as they always give their all but I remember watching TRD play fullback not so long ago and he was on a different planet when it came to making a tackle. He appeared only half interested. There has been a game or two since where he has done something similar. I hope I am proved wrong this time around and he has a blinder..

Not a dig. Just don't think we should write the team off against a very ordinary Cowboys outfit. Every team has weak points and most teams are contending with injuries this week. I'd be more worried about a rampaging LoLo through our middle defense, but thankfully James and Arrow are back. Hope Rein has some ticker.

DIEHARD
17-04-18, 08:38 PM
Need for a win to drive tough tussle

KONRAD Hurrell says the Titans can’t underestimate an under-siege Cowboys outfit, as the Gold Coast prepare to crack down on their mistakes ahead of the Queensland derby.

The Titans suffered their third loss of the season on Sunday after an error-riddled performance and a number of injuries saw them fall 35-12 to the Panthers.

They conceded 13 penalties and made 10 errors, as well as 33 missed tackles.

But as they turn their attention to their Townsville clash on Saturday, Hurrell – who made two errors and gave away one penalty – says the team have to crack down on their mistakes and defensive attitude.

“It’s a massive cause of the (loss),” he said.

“We just had a few one-onone missed tackles and that’s what kept the roll on for them... and they won too many penalties.
“That’s what cost us the game.

“We need to regroup on that and see what were our mistakes and why we gave a lot of penalties away.”

Before the loss, the Titans were Queensland’s highestplaced team in the NRL, but they have now slipped behind the Broncos.

A win on Saturday is also important because the Titans have not beaten the Cowboys since 2014, with North Queensland winning their past five meetings.

The Cowboys, however, have had a shocking start to their season – winning just one game from the opening six rounds – but Hurrell said the Titans had to be sure not to take them for granted this weekend.
Given their head-to-head results and the class of the North Queensland playing roster, Hurrell is expecting a fightback from the Cowboys this week.

“It’s going to be a tough one,” he said of the derby showdown.

“They need to win because they’ve been losing. After (Sunday’s) game we need to win as well.

“Both teams will be fighting hard for the two points. We know they’re a team that won’t back down even though they’ve lost a few games. They’ll go until they get a win.

“We can’t underestimate what the Cowboys will do. We have to bring our A-game.”

The Titans are also expected to find out today how long Nathan Peats (rib) and Dale Copley (hamstring) could be sidelined for, after the pair went for scans yesterday.

Jai Arrow (back) and Morgan Boyle (concussion) are expected to be fit for Saturday.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Bayside Titan
18-04-18, 09:08 AM
Lee can't tackle either remember

Agree with the tackle comment there gotitans , however for me at the minute I would like to see him get a run as he has experience and against a side like the Cowboy backs I would hope that he could play well.

I remember talking to someone a while back about TRD and his comments were that TRD looks disinterested, shows no urgency and is not as fast as people think. I know the games I saw him play I tend to agree. Sami is a player that TRD should be like now but looks light years behind.

Mr Bods
18-04-18, 09:57 AM
TRD is a true enigma. There are times where he shows elements of genius and times where he’s off with the pixies. Coach Brennan must see something though and/or his QCup form must be pretty good.

The thought of Sami/TRD together just because they are relative rookies in a massive game does makes me nervous.

mdrew
18-04-18, 12:15 PM
Last weekend in the Queensland Cup Brenko Lee ran for 160 metres from 17 runs, with 55 of those metres post contact. He also had a line break and seven tackle breaks. He did however missed both of the tackles he went in for.

Upthetits
18-04-18, 12:35 PM
No idea what samis defence / defensive reads are like but I guess hes got to start somewhere. Would sami and Kiah cooper be potentially our long term centre pairing?

Hail Sezer
18-04-18, 12:39 PM
No idea what samis defence / defensive reads are like but I guess hes got to start somewhere. Would sami and Kiah cooper be potentially our long term centre pairing?

Kiah isn't even top 30 yet and is playing on the wing in Qcup. He's got a lot to do to be in the frame for that.

Always tough with centres because there are so many potent offensive young centres but finding one that is an efficient defender at a young age is very difficult

RavShamrock
19-04-18, 09:53 AM
I hope TRD and Sami have some history of forming a good combination on an edge because I thinks Green will be salivating over the left edge of TRD/Sami/LG/Mathews and throw in Cartwright to give Mathews a break and holy crap. (Kyle Feldt Hat trick!!!!)
Maybe we should try and and turn this into a shoot out and bring lee onto that wing to give some strike?

Gee I forgot that Lee may only play on the right.

sideline grandad
19-04-18, 10:24 AM
I hope TRD and Sami have some history of forming a good combination on an edge because I thinks Green will be salivating over the left edge of TRD/Sami/LG/Mathews and throw in Cartwright to give Mathews a break and holy crap. (Kyle Feldt Hat trick!!!!)
Maybe we should try and and turn this into a shoot out and bring lee onto that wing to give some strike?

Gee I forgot that Lee may only play on the right.

If past performances count for anything these two had one of the worst defensive records last year playing NYC. Sure hope they prove me wrong against the Cowboys.

RavShamrock
19-04-18, 11:07 AM
Well strike me pink.
What are we doing?

Ausphin
19-04-18, 12:05 PM
I could be proven wrong but on the team list provided they have Don on the left wing with Sami and TRD on the right with Koni.

RavShamrock
19-04-18, 12:13 PM
Surely not!

DavidBouveng
19-04-18, 12:39 PM
I could be proven wrong but on the team list provided they have Don on the left wing with Sami and TRD on the right with Koni.

when you say team list so you mean the normal 1-17 named team? as i i think the three quarter numbers have no correlation to which side they play. They may move Don across to even out the experience, but it will have nothing to do with the team list order. unless you have seen a graphic type list with left and right sides specially shown like the pre game images

normally the team is listed as

1. Gordon
2. Don
3. Copley
4. Koni
5. Sami

but we know they play Don / Koni together and Copley / Sami together.

will be interesting to see how it ends up. TRD did everything you dont want to do as a rookie last year, dropped balls, missed tackles, not chasing hard... whereas Sami has made every post a winner. Hopefully a pre season under garth has brought the magic to TRD as well.

GCTTSD
19-04-18, 12:50 PM
Correct me if im wrong but didn't they play TRD on the right last year and move don to the left, I swear that's happened before, don can play both sides as he did when juggling spots with Mead and Gordon

DavidBouveng
19-04-18, 12:53 PM
Correct me if im wrong but didn't they play TRD on the right last year and move don to the left, I swear that's happened before, don can play both sides as he did when juggling spots with Mead and Gordon

Possibly, and that might be a good thing to balance out the rookies otherwise they will get run at all day, especially with feldt jumping on that side, would rather don going up against him.

RavShamrock
19-04-18, 01:02 PM
Personally I don't remember Don on the left

- - - Updated - - -

Also I think if we start breaking up combinations to accommodate a player then we are well and truly desperate

DavidBouveng
19-04-18, 01:42 PM
i dont remember Don alot on the left but i do recall him scoring a hat trick maybe against Canberra one day (or was it a double?) and i was scared each time cos he was planting it one handed and a bit casually.

but he is definitely a right winger by trade.

Maybe don has requested a transfer away from Koni's side due to workplace stress with the bad reads and dropped balls

Upthetits
19-04-18, 01:53 PM
If TRD is left to go up against Kyle Feldt he's going to have a bad night. Felt would have to be one of the best jumpers in the comp.

psmitty
19-04-18, 01:59 PM
I don't see anything in Sami that gets me excited. His jink reminds me a bit of kevin gordon.

BundyTitan
19-04-18, 03:28 PM
I don't see anything in Sami that gets me excited. His jink reminds me a bit of kevin gordon.

It's the little things Sami does like always getting involved and taking tough carries out of our half and there's no doubting his effort. Remember he is only young and developing still skill wise, but you can't teach the effort he shows. Will be interesting to see him at centre as Garth has said that he will likely be there long term.

As for TRD, he has shown glimpses of flashiness but also unfortunately a lot more defensive lapses and missed tackles. Never know though, maybe he has worked hard over the pre-season and will hopefully put in a solid performance. Something must have made Garth choose him over guys like Lee and Elliot so we just have to trust the selection and see how he goes.

JunctionBlock
20-04-18, 07:56 AM
Whilst I have enjoyed watching Sami bringing the ball back out of our half he has been very quiet the last two games. He isn't looking for the ball as often. Not sure why but I do remember seeing an article regarding him pulling up sore after the first few games of the year. Maybe he's doing a "Nene" and dropping off the pace a bit to save the body.

DavidBouveng
20-04-18, 09:47 AM
I read on an article from titans.com.au that Will Mathews expects it to be more difficult with a new combo outside him and the article references sami and TRD outside him, so i guess Don is staying put.

transfer request denied apparently

RavShamrock
20-04-18, 09:57 AM
This feels like "smoke and mirrors" from Brennan (I hope).
Would be a great way to get Green to focus on an overwhelming weakness but then the old switch-a-roo.

Hail Sezer
20-04-18, 01:12 PM
I read on an article from titans.com.au that Will Mathews expects it to be more difficult with a new combo outside him and the article references sami and TRD outside him, so i guess Don is staying put.

transfer request denied apparently

Wasn't this always the case?

Don is often named on the other side in team lists however always plays right wing outside Koni. Has been happening on occasion with the team-lists for the past year or 2

Unless I've missed something in which case ignore this haha

psmitty
21-04-18, 07:05 AM
I think we are going to get a hiding today. Cowboys are due for a win and a lot of there top players are getting a roasting in the media so have something to prove. I am very worried about Sami and TRD I would be running down that side all day if i was the cowboys.

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 09:01 AM
Gooooooooo Teeeeeaaaaaammmmmmmm

Mr Bods
21-04-18, 09:25 AM
^^^^ amen JB
Grand Final Day today
This is a true Must Win Event

5 Year Contract
21-04-18, 12:29 PM
Hoping for an ambush today like we did against the donkeys. Hopefully the axe has added some extra starch to our defence

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 01:31 PM
Wow thanks for reminding me the game is today and not tomorrow. :ugh:

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 01:33 PM
Morgan’s in mix for role as Maroons maestro
QUEENSLAND selector Darren Lockyer insists Michael Morgan is not in danger of being axed by the Maroons.

Morgan’s form throughout North Queensland’s five-game losing streak has been poor, with an abdominal strain that resulted in the five-eighth missing the first fortnight almost certainly a factor in his freefall after last year’s superb finals performances.

The Maroons need to blood a new-look halves combination this year following the representative retirements of Cooper Cronk and Johnathan Thurston.

Morgan was considered a certainty for the Queensland halves, but Cameron Munster and Ben Hunt are now in the box seat to wear the Maroons’ No.6 and No.7 jumpers for State of Origin I at the MCG.

Morgan is likely to claim the No.14 jumper in which he launched his Origin career, but Lockyer said Maroons hierarchy were yet to rule him out of starting contention.

“There is still plenty of time for Morgan to find some form,” Lockyer said. “Queensland has a history of rewarding those who haven’t let them down in the past.

‘‘I don’t see that changing moving forward. But those players in form at club level are giving themselves the best chance of being selected.”

The Cowboys need Morgan to fire against the Titans in Townsville tonight.

Cowboys lock Jason Taumalolo said the Kangaroos No.6 was lacking confidence. “He has to find a lot of confidence,” he said. “We all know what Morgo is capable of. ‘‘He showed that last year. “For him to be playing the best footy he can, it’s all about confidence. “The more he finds himself playing good footy, the more confident he will be and it will be better for not only himself but the team.”

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 01:34 PM
Eyes on the prize: Garth

TITANS coach Garth Brennan has urged halfback Ash Taylor to find consistency in his game before worrying about playing State of Origin for Queensland.

Taylor will confront Maroons legend Johnathan Thurston when the Titans face the struggling Cowboys in Townsville tonight.

Taylor has shown glimpses of brilliance this season and while he has embraced Brennan’s challenge to “own” the Titans, the talented playmaker still has some way to go before he is a consistently dominant halfback in the NRL.

“I wanted him to own the football team – that was what I challenged him to do,” Brennan said.

“The more he does it and more consistency he gets, then that’s going to get him to where he wants to be.
“You can talk rep footy but you need to be consistent every week to do that.”

RavShamrock
21-04-18, 01:49 PM
Gee I hope we bring Lee onto the wing I think he'd be an attacking weapon and probably better than TRD in defence.

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 01:57 PM
Green lays down the law

COWBOYS coach Paul Green has ordered his misfiring team to “do their job” in a short and bristly pre-game press conference as they look to turn their faltering season around against Gold Coast tonight

A prickly Green was in no mood for speaking expansively with the media yesterday morning as the club looks to avoid a sixth straight defeat at 1300SMILES Stadium.

Asked what he would tell his players before the mustwin clash, Green replied: “Doing their job.”

Prompted to elaborate he said: “I think consistently across the board, individuals probably just haven’t quite done their job and it’s reflected how we’ve played as a team. At times, we’ve missed our assignments a little bit.

“We’ve changed training up. We’ve got to change something, we’ve got to snap out of what we’ve been doing.

“We’ve been starting poorly, simple errors at times are hurting us.”

Green has remained calm and composed in the public spotlight despite his team’s struggles, but it’s clear they’re running out of time to justify his faith.

He ended lengthy contract talks by announcing he has resigned until the end of 2021, but those feel-good vibes have been replaced by the enormous challenge of guiding the team out of a horrid slump.

The Cowboys will field the same 17 which lost 27-10 to the Bulldogs last week, the same team who couldn’t score a single point against the Roosters last night.

“It probably wasn’t as good a training week as we had last week, so hopefully the result will be different,” Green said.

“We didn’t train as well as we could have done on Wednesday, today was a good session though.

“We’re not far off. I know that might sound different but the last few weeks we’ve been beaten by a try but the opposition have kicked a few more penalty goals which has blown the score out a bit.

“I’ve said all along, the biggest thing we’re struggling with is if something goes against us, our confidence saps out of us.

“We’ve got to trust our game and trust each other, and work harder.”

Green rubbished suggestions the team’s fairy tale run to last year’s grand final has affected them mentally or physically.
“No, that was last year,” he said.

“It was a good six or eight months ago, so if we’re still tired because of what we did eight months ago, we’ve got some problems there.”

The Cowboys haven’t lost six straight games since the end of the 2010 season, when they finished 15th with just five wins.

“We’ve played from behind in basically every game except the Sharks (round one win),” Green said.

“We need to fix our discipline up, our penalties are hurting us early.”

Source: Townsville Bulletin

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 01:58 PM
Determined Asiata vows to restore fear factor

CONFIDENT: John Asiata at North Queensland Cowboys training this week. Picture: ALIX SWEENEY
A TRIP to Townsville was once rated arguably the stiffest road test the NRL has to offer.

But Cowboys forward John Asiata has vowed the club will fight to restore its intimidation factor at home after losing five of their last six matches at 1300SMILES Stadium.

The venue is no longer turf on which opponents fear to tread with the Cowboys dropping two of three home games so far this year, and the last three in 2017.

They have been outscored 146-78 in their last six home games after losing just one in 2016, and the rot must stop tonight as they look to avoid a potentially fatal sixth straight defeat against the Gold Coast Titans.

“We want to turn everything around, both away and at home,” Asiata said.

“Especially here – this is where we do all our hard work, this is where in pre season we’re doing the tough yards, and we don’t want to be dominated when people come here.

“It is embarrassing but we’re ready this week to turn it around and turn our season around.

“When teams come here we want them to fear us in a way, that this is our backyard and we’re not going to let anyone dominate us.”

The Cowboys have been slow out of the blocks this year, which has put their attack under immense pressure.

The club has changed their training routine this week in an effort to find a spark.

“It’s just simple errors we’re doing which is hurting ourselves, just discipline in individual roles,” Asiata said.

“It’s the first five to 10 minutes where it’s hurting us most. We’re not disciplined enough to get in the grind and get teams in the deep end.”

Asiata is looking to add to an already memorable few days after his wife, Shailah, told him they’re expecting a boy. They welcomed firstborn daughter Eleana into the world late last season.

Cowboys hooker Jake Granville has pledged to unleash his dangerous running game after being nullified so far this year.
“I suppose I could work on my attack a lot more,” Granville said.

“I don’t think I’ve run as much as I think I should, and I’ll continue to work at that.

“I think we’re making enough metres, it’s more me picking up my cues better and having the confidence to run as much as I usually do.”

Source: Townsville Bulletin

Dobes
21-04-18, 04:05 PM
Gee I hope we bring Lee onto the wing I think he'd be an attacking weapon and probably better than TRD in defence.

Same here mate. I feel very worried about TRD on that side especially with Sami. You can bet the Cowboys are going to attack that side like crazy tonight. Just hope if that’s what they end up going with, that TRD has a blinder. Fingers crossed.

GCTTSD
21-04-18, 04:45 PM
Titans:*1 Michael Gordon, 2 Anthony Don, 3 Phillip Sami, 4 Konrad Hurrell, 5 Tyronne Roberts-Davis, 6 Kane Elgey, 7 Ashley Taylor, 8 Jarrod Wallace, 9 Mitch Rein, 10 Ryan James (c), 11 Kevin Proctor, 12 Will Matthews, 13 Jai Arrow

Interchange:*14 Max King, 15 Bryce Cartwright, 16 Jack Stockwell, 17 Keegan Hipgrave

Reserves:*20 Brenko Lee, 21 Brendan Elliot

Morgan Boyle and Ryan Simpkins drop off the extended bench.*Phillip Sami shifts from wing to centre for Dale Copley (hamstring) with Tyronne Roberts-Davis called up on the flank. Mitch Rein starts at hooker for Nathan Peats (ribs). Ryan James (suspension) returns at prop, pushing Max King to the bench where Keegan Hipgrave also replaces Ryan Simpkins. Lock Jai Arrow has been named after overcoming back spasms that ended his round six early.

gotitans101_
21-04-18, 06:57 PM
Was Simpkins injured or just dropped for Hipgrave? If the latter, then kudos to Brennan, again.

Mr Bods
21-04-18, 07:13 PM
Gotta play our best 17 this is Grand Final Night
Palace fully decorated and pizzas consumed
Time to get serious

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 07:13 PM
Both teams 1-17

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 07:16 PM
Gotta play our best 17 this is Grand Final Night
Palace fully decorated and pizzas consumed
Time to get serious

Bunkered down on my bed here in HK, WatchNRL app at hand.

I agree, this really is our Grand Final. Cowboys are so well overdue for a form change and we have seemed to have been the turning point so often for players form. Let's hope not to night. Give it another week Thursto.

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 07:24 PM
Bunkered down on my bed here in HK, WatchNRL app at hand.

I agree, this really is our Grand Final. Cowboys are so well overdue for a form change and we have seemed to have been the turning point so often for players form. Let's hope not to night. Give it another week Thursto.

He's not playing for QLD this year so a touch up after a kick will do me just fine.

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 07:26 PM
He's not playing for QLD this year so a touch up after a kick will do me just fine.

Oh yea, I forgot he retired from rep footy.

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 07:31 PM
The Cowboys have lost five of their past six games on home soil.

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 07:40 PM
Phew... Cooper obstruction. Lucky escape.

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 07:42 PM
First time I've seen a call like that go our way, mind you it was off a questionable penalty.

At least we have the unbiased Kevin walters commentating tonight. :ugh:

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 07:44 PM
Sweet here is a chance, Cowboys lost it.

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 07:46 PM
Couple of rubbish jerseys out there. :ugh:

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 07:47 PM
Wow, no hands on that whatsoever, another great call backed by the supposed QLD coach.

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 07:49 PM
Go for the try!

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 07:50 PM
Nah take the two.

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 07:51 PM
Nah take the two.

Seems I'm greatly outvoted.

Think we are in for a tough one? Maybe a bit of pressure off and a buffer.

Titans 2-0

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 07:53 PM
Argggghhhhhh my mate Koni. When is enough enough. We can't do any worse defensively so why no try someone who can actually take a hit up.

DIEHARD
Oh great. They get a penalty in front. Could be level soon.

Yes Kevvie the Axe will be watching loving that tackle, although he is now a Titan if you paid attention.

rj62
Tick tock Koni

Mexican titan
21-04-18, 07:55 PM
Argggghhhhhh my mate Koni. When is enough enough. We can't do any worse defensively so why no try someone who can actually take a hit up.

Every bloody week you can count on it. His hands are diabolical.

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 07:56 PM
Oh great. They get a penalty in front. Could be level soon.

Yes Kevvie the Axe will be watching loving that tackle, although he is now a Titan if you paid attention.

Trevor?

- - - Updated - - -

Every bloody week you can count on it. His hands are diabolical.

Can't catch, can't tackle, now can't run the ball. Surely he has a target on his back now?

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 07:57 PM
Trevor?

Yep.

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 07:57 PM
At least LoLo is having a shocker too.

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 07:58 PM
Bludger of a game so far.

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 08:00 PM
Normally we can't control the ruck at all and now all of a sudden we are lying on the tackled player too long?

Mr Bods
21-04-18, 08:01 PM
I’m slowly starting to lose it
The body language, errors, lack of talk and brain fades are making me concerned

gotitans101_
21-04-18, 08:01 PM

yeah it's coming

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 08:02 PM

At least it's both sides. Wait till fatigue sets in. Then we're in for a real snooze fest.

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 08:06 PM
This game isn't QLD Derby standard. It isn't Queensland Cup. It isn't BRL... It isn't...

gotitans101_
21-04-18, 08:06 PM
this is so bad lol

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 08:08 PM
We should get in a huddle and all just BREATH in ..... and OUT.

- - - Updated - - -

Must be time for someone to go to the bin so some tries can be scored.

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 08:09 PM
Ryan James has just provided the most entertainment this evening.

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 08:10 PM
50/50 possession

Penalties Cowboys 9 Titans 5

Mr Bods
21-04-18, 08:11 PM
We looked onside then to me
Referee starting to play to the crowd

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 08:11 PM
Ash kicks out of the full from the kick off. :fist:

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 08:13 PM
Ryan James has just provided the most entertainment this evening.

It's a short list, it's either singing Barry Manilow songs or James' comedy routine.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the game Bryce. Think there was a hole you were supposed to be standing in just then.

Mr Bods
21-04-18, 08:13 PM
I better just put the phone down till Fulltime
I’m so close to saying things I might regret

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 08:15 PM
Cowboys 12-2. 37th minute.

NZTITAN
21-04-18, 08:19 PM
I highly recommend to all of you to find a team to support in another league (NBA/NFL) to take your mind off this team every so often.

it also makes the losses wayyy easier to digest particularly if that team you choose is playing well

rj62
21-04-18, 08:19 PM
**** sake :mad:

gotitans101_
21-04-18, 08:20 PM
i am sick of this team.

DIEHARD
I highly recommend to all of you to find a team to support in another league (NBA/NFL) to take your mind off this team every so often.

it also makes the losses wayyy easier to digest particularly if that team you choose is playing well

Well I got Diehards in BRL. And I follow a couple Super League and Championship sides.

JunctionBlock

By the looks of things the Warriors are taking applications.

I'm sorry but brennan has to answer as to why you put TRD, Sami, Cartwright and LG on the one side.

Dobes
Why Brennan went with TRD I’ll never know... All he had to do was stay on his man..

gotitans101_
21-04-18, 08:22 PM
By the looks of things the Warriors are taking applications.

I'm sorry but brennan has to answer as to why you put TRD, Sami, Cartwright and LG on the one side.

yeah that's a good point.

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 08:22 PM
That NRL Anzac Day ad is so off. Makes as much sense as the first half.

5 Year Contract
21-04-18, 08:23 PM
Just pathetic across the board. Absolutely piss weak performance that again makes me wonder what its like to enjoy watching your team play. Who is leading this team? When will our halves put our hands up and take control? Silly, silly penalties and for ****s sake can we get a backline sorted! I have had a gutful of the amount of times koni or TRD comes in and creates an overlap. Things better change quick come the 2nd half or im turning it off

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 08:24 PM
yeah that's a good point.

What makes it worse is out of the people in that list LG is our best defender. hahahaha

gothabull
21-04-18, 08:24 PM
That NRL Anzac Day ad is so off. Makes as much sense as the first half.

Totally mate

RavShamrock
21-04-18, 08:25 PM
We warned Brennan plenty on this forum about that edge.
If he sends the same sh!t out after the break they will put 30 down that edge alone.

Dobes
21-04-18, 08:27 PM
Has there ever been a better reason to drop Koni? Just not good enough (tonight especially). Needs to spend some time in the lower grades.

teke
21-04-18, 08:29 PM
Im gonna push this agenda....get Corey Oates, he wants backrower money but we can pay that for him on the wing here. This backline needs oomph , actually needs alot of things but it's a start

JunctionBlock
Maybe now is a good time to start next weeks thread Diehard.....

Dare I say it, there's still a second half and we are playing well below our ability. Maybe it's because I'm watching Treehouse Masters or maybe it's the alcohol talking but surely we can only improve from here.

DIEHARD
"Look it's been a great game, so far." Words of wisdom from Justin Hodges.

5 Year Contract
Has there ever been a better reason to drop Koni? Just not good enough (tonight especially). Needs to spend some time in the lower grades.

Getting to the point where id be bringing Brenko and Elliot in to at least try something different because its the same story every week

Titanic Believer
Not unexpected ...but disappointing.

gotitans101_
21-04-18, 08:31 PM

We have nobody else. Our depth in our backs is still **** despite what others say.

Mexican titan

But who takes his place? We lose Copley and a young inexperienced winger gets moved to the centres so it shows a lack of depth. I reckon from 2-6 we have the worst team in the comp.
Ash kicking out on the full (again) is just an example that this lot don't switch on.

DIEHARD
Maybe now is a good time to start next weeks thread Diehard.....

TITANS vs SHARKS at CBUS. (http://www.leagueoftitans.com.au/showthread.php?28825-Round-8-TITANS-vs-SHARKS-(2018)&p=380526#post380526)

gotitans101_
21-04-18, 08:32 PM
TITANS vs SHARKS at CBUS. (http://www.leagueoftitans.com.au/showthread.php?28825-Round-8-TITANS-vs-SHARKS-(2018)&p=380526#post380526)

at least we're the Sharks's bogey team, we've got that going for us.

Mexican titan
21-04-18, 08:33 PM
Getting to the point where id be bringing Brenko and Elliot in to at least try something different because its the same story every week

Couldn't do any worse.

Titanic
21-04-18, 08:34 PM
Well, I'm tucked up In San Francisco watching on watchnrl.com ... it's 03:30am Saturday morning ... I just took two Panadol either for jetlag or chronic depression. How the hell we can play with only ten players. Hurrell has been shunted on to the wing where no one will pass him the ball and the two "kids" are freaking deers in the headlights. I strongly suggest that tonight in the hotel, the whole rest of the team gets a bar of soap in a towel and beats the crap out of three of them to remind them that its a game of commitment.

gotitans101_
21-04-18, 08:34 PM
Couldn't do any worse.

I dunno man, Brenko is a pretty bad defender

Mexican titan
21-04-18, 08:35 PM

Has to be the dumbest merkin on Fox, just shading Gasnier and Roach.

- - - Updated - - -

I dunno man, Brenko is a pretty bad defender

You're probably right but I'm just clutching at straws.

RavShamrock
21-04-18, 08:36 PM
Well cartwright has to go to centre and push sami to wing. Now!

gotitans101_
21-04-18, 08:36 PM
Why did we sign all these terrible defensive players anyway

And then there's Peachey next year.

ffs

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 08:37 PM
Has to be the dumbest merkin on Fox, just shading Gasnier and Roach.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we need to start a thread where we rank them from worst to best. I don't think it will be too balanced as most are rubbish.

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 08:38 PM

I'm amazed you can understand him. I need subtitles.

Mexican titan
21-04-18, 08:38 PM
I think we need to start a thread where we rank them from worst to best. I don't think it will be too balanced as most are rubbish.

Keep it in this thread DH. It distracts us from the game.

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 08:40 PM

He is such an enthusiastic guy, it's contagious. That's why they call him the hype man.

gotitans101_
21-04-18, 08:40 PM
Almost straight through Elgey again.

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 08:43 PM
Pretty good kick return by Feldt......

rj62
21-04-18, 08:46 PM

Me too

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 08:49 PM
TRD with cramp? LOL

gotitans101_
21-04-18, 08:50 PM
I like Hipgrave, runs hard

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 08:52 PM
I like Hipgrave, runs hard

He's the enforcer we needed. Lolo back on, if he starts with his offload we could be in strife.

5 Year Contract
21-04-18, 08:52 PM
Hipgrave and Stockwell with some good runs. Geeze we arent offering much but a crossfield kick in attack.

BundyTitan
21-04-18, 08:54 PM
Absolutely shameful performance, they didn't even show up tonight

5 Year Contract
21-04-18, 08:55 PM
and that'll do me for tonight. We will be the team with the odd upset but otherwise a long year of pain. Just dont have a complete team to really be a contender in the NRL this year

rj62
21-04-18, 08:57 PM
Voss is such a tool

Upthetits
Absolutely awful showing. Shameful in every sense of the word. They can't even get deep enough to run a backline play at the cows line.

BundyTitan
How does a team go from playing like we did against Manly and Brisbane, to playing like this. Although to be fair Manly are a mess and Brisbane had one of their worst games in their history. I wanted to think that the Dragons game was just a fluke but worried that we just had a few lucky weeks

JunctionBlock
Not seeing anything from Coote that would indicate we need to chase him hard for next year.

Titanic
21-04-18, 08:58 PM
13-16 and playing with heart is all that I wanted ... well I got half of it :(

Dobes
They should be ashamed of themselves. Nothings changed since bringing Garth in. New look, same old sh*t from last year.

Mexican titan
That was a disgraceful call on Wallace - didn't drop that and they score. But who gives.
The worst part about this is that the Cows are pretty bad and they are ahead by 20.

JunctionBlock
Hipgrave is doing his best to line Thurston up.

DIEHARD
I feel bad for ringing my parents and making sure the Foxtel app was working so they could watch this rubbish.

Next week is the time to lay the law down and make some deep cuts.

gotitans101_
21-04-18, 08:59 PM
This team sucks. At least Newy are on the rise. Tigers on the rise. We still suck. And quite frankly, I'm sick of it.

Mr Bods
21-04-18, 08:59 PM
We have played only 7 games this year and in 3 of them St George, Penrith and Nth Qld the effort and discipline have been completely unacceptable.
What the hell is going on with this new Coaching Regime and within the solidarity of the playing squad.

It’s ok to lose but for 3 out of 7 efforts to not be Professional is not on.
I’m really upset. We have plenty of good footy talent in this 17.

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 09:01 PM
We could start a twitter account with dumb comments from commentators.

Walters "Yea they (Titans) need points don't they"

BundyTitan
21-04-18, 09:02 PM
They should be ashamed of themselves. Nothings changed since bringing Garth in. New look, same old sh*t from last year.

Yep just like every other year, a few dropped balls and we crumble to bits and give up. Never changes

- - - Updated - - -

This team sucks. At least Newy are on the rise. Tigers on the rise. We still suck. And quite frankly, I'm sick of it.

And you are not alone there, I think we are all with you. Sick of being the 13-16 team that scraps a win or two here and there.

Mexican titan
21-04-18, 09:04 PM

You just beat me to it. Then he just said "the Cowboys have their mojo back". FFS they are playing against a rabble.

gothabull
21-04-18, 09:06 PM
Yep just like every other year, a few dropped balls and we crumble to bits and give up. Never changes

- - - Updated - - -

And you are not alone there, I think we are all with you. Sick of being the 13-16 team that scraps a win or two here and there.

Pathetic we pass the ball like ****ed up pass the parcel

BundyTitan
21-04-18, 09:07 PM

I reckon he's right, my bet (and it might be crazy) is that the Cowboys might win this as they have scored the most points

Dobes
21-04-18, 09:07 PM
If Garth names this same team next week, I’m done.. Needs to start dropping players. Look at what Ivan Clearys been doing at the Tigers and they’ve been much better for it.

mdrew
21-04-18, 09:09 PM
Hipgrave needs to start

5 Year Contract
21-04-18, 09:09 PM
This team is really sapping my enjoyment for the game. How many more years of "false hope" can you go through before its a given that things dont change. Im signing off for the night. Could give 2 ****s how we line up next week if its going to be this again and again

Titanic Believer
21-04-18, 09:10 PM
Just turned it off. What gets my goat is that all the other struggling teams from last year have improved but we are just the same.......I just can't see any reason to be a supporter..

ps 5 year contract must have been channeling my thoughts as I typed...

gotitans101_
Hipgrave needs to start

It took Brennan until the second half to give him a run...yet his lovechild Bryce comes on mid-way through the first half and lets in a try.

Dobes
Hipgrave needs to start

Yeah you’re right, at least he’s playing like he actually wants to be there

gotitans101_
Just turned it off. What gets my goat is that all the other struggling teams from last year have improved but we are just the same.......I just can't see any reason to be a supporter..

yep, exactly. Something still stinks at this club - dare I say it, is it that the GC just doesn't have a sporting culture? At least that's the vibe I get from non-supporters.

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 09:11 PM
If Garth names this same team next week, I’m done.. Needs to start dropping players. Look at what Ivan Clearys been doing at the Tigers and they’ve been much better for it.

Carty party is over, Hurrellacane has turned into a depression, TRD needs more development. Arrow needs to be 80 minute player and Ryan James needs to be cloned about 8 times.

Impressed with Rein being out there for 80 minutes though.

Dobes
21-04-18, 09:11 PM
They make it very difficult to support them. This is going to be a very long season for us.

rj62
21-04-18, 09:12 PM
Hipgrave needs to start

On tonight’s performance , absolutely

Mexican titan
When TRD just dropped the ball off the scrum first play everyone in my house just p1ssed themselves laughing. That how bad this is, just an embarrassment.

JunctionBlock
Yeah you’re right, at least he’s playing like he actually wants to be there

He plays for a spot every week. Could be why.

Dobes
21-04-18, 09:14 PM
He plays for a spot every week. Could be why.

Exactly. Deserves it too.

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 09:16 PM
Quick play and no mistakes in that set and we get a try.

DIEHARD
Oh so that is what a try looks like.

teke
Jai Arrow is terrific, a bloke doing his job well

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 09:20 PM
Yeehaa, try time. Catching them napping.

Mr Bods
Junk time tries are meaningless other than a bit of pride and help for and against

Elliot and Lee should feel downright disrespected and offended for TRD and Sami being picked ahead of them

DIEHARD
Wallace scores. Bringing some respect back to the scoreline. And we are finally waking up a little, but it's too late. Cowboys have this sealed.

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 09:23 PM
Good to see Ryan is OK after that hitup.

BundyTitan
21-04-18, 09:24 PM
What a draining performance, absolutely pathetic for 75 minutes. Don't know how this team is so inconsistent. One week we are completing sets and getting results and then 95% of weeks we just look like we can't be ****ed. Now while no player gave even half an effort tonight (except maybe Hipgrave, Arrow and Stockwell), changes have got to be made next week.

TRD is not a first grade player and he wouldn't be at any other club. Can't tackle, can't catch and offers nothing. And Hurell can join him in ressies. Don't know what has happened to him over the pre-season but he is a far cry from the man he was last year and in 2016. The only issue is that the depth in our outside backs is pretty slim. Brenko will probably help in attack but his defence has a history of being shaky and Elliot is okay but fairly average and don't know if he'd add much. However, what other choice do we have but to give them a go and see? Roll the dice I reckon.

Elgey and Ash can't be blamed tonight either. Ash admittedly had a few blunders like kicking out on the full and a few terrible crossfield bombs but not much you can do behind a forward pack who is getting dominated. Said last week that our forward pack could compete with any other in the comp. Whoops...they were non existent tonight.

Rein was fairly solid and offers a bit more in attack than Peats does, but possibly runs it too much. Way too many scoots but can't blame him as the forwards were coping a hiding and he was clearly trying to lift the side.

Well we scored a couple of late consolation tries to improve the scoreline but too little too late unfortunately. Trust us to play the Cowboys into form :mad: Oh well we shall see what happens on team list Tuesday and then next Saturday arvo vs Cronulla.

gotitans101_
21-04-18, 09:27 PM
Bryce can **** off too as far as I'm concerned.

Mr Bods
21-04-18, 09:27 PM
At least Wallace and Taylor have a smile on their faces
I know it’s a different era yada yada
But Geee I find it hard to cop

rj62
21-04-18, 09:28 PM
I’m not as gutted as some. No it wasn’t pretty, yes there were a million penalties , yes there were errors , but we didn’t give up even though we couldn’t get into the game.

JunctionBlock
21-04-18, 09:29 PM
Didn't see anyone thinking we were going to win this game earlier in the forum and we lost. So I guess we lived up to our own expectations. Hopefully some changes next week from a fans point of view but I doubt we'll see much difference with quality with what we have as far as replacements.

Have a nice night all. Cheers for the chat.

gotitans101_
21-04-18, 09:34 PM
I really want Tyrone Roberts back at 6. :(

Mexican titan
21-04-18, 09:35 PM
Junk time tries are meaningless other than a bit of pride and help for and against

Elliot and Lee should feel downright disrespected and offended for TRD and Sami being picked ahead of them

I agree re the consolation tries. They mean nothing other than make the score look better and we didn't deserve that. That was a pathetic effort from the start. I'm not calling for James head but surely we can find a captain that revs it up blokes whereas James just goes through the motions like the rest of them. There is more anger among us forumers than what is seen on the field. He doesn't come across as any leader to me. One great game every 3-4 weeks isn't good enough from your captain. I accept that it is not the game to single blokes out so I'll stick to what I said very early in the game that our 2 to 6 are the worst in the comp, but how can you punt that many.
Following this mob is just doing my head in. One week they give you great hope and the next three or four are just hopeless.

Upthetits
21-04-18, 09:38 PM
Extremely frustrating. Hipgrave needs to be in the 17 every week, and come on before Cartwright. Elliot or Lee to take TRDs spot. Hard to judge Sami off one game. Don't know why it took 75minutes for the team to realise they need to start working them through the ruck. Rein ran a few times throughout the game with no one backing up until ash did. Ash should have got to team deeper and looked for a grubber behind as their defence was rushing up in their 20m, he used to have a great short kicking game but for some reason he has barely used it this season. One last thing, these penalties need to stop or we will never be in any games as we will be too gassed by the time the tide changes. Garth has a big week ahead. Good luck to him.

Mexican titan
21-04-18, 09:39 PM
I’m not as gutted as some. No it wasn’t pretty, yes there were a million penalties , yes there were errors , but we didn’t give up even though we couldn’t get into the game.

Sorry mate, I can't cop that and that is a typical Gold Coast laid back and accept it attitude when it comes to sporting teams. I don't mean that as a personal go at you but you say we didn't give up. Perhaps but for mine the effort and commitment was lacking from the start. We just can't keep accepting efforts like that and say well we didn't give up. rant over.

Upthetits
21-04-18, 09:45 PM
Also towards the end Bryce Cartwright took over the team and directed it for the try to Wallace. I realise it was a bump and push over but the fact he's going into first receiver and directing the team shows how little direction we had our there. Ash Taylor is on a million a season, needs to starting earning it

rj62
21-04-18, 09:47 PM
Sorry mate, I can't cop that and that is a typical Gold Coast laid back and accept it attitude when it comes to sporting teams. I don't mean that as a personal go at you but you say we didn't give up. Perhaps but for mine the effort and commitment was lacking from the start. We just can't keep accepting efforts like that and say well we didn't give up. rant over.

Taken from someone at the game.
A couple of weeks ago we were savouring a win. I worked in Townsville for a couple of years and went to most cows games.
On any night, it’s a tough gig, when they find a bit of spark it’s even tougher.
Being born on the coast I’ll take it as personal , but I dont take offence to it.
I’d just prefer to support my team through good and bad. God knows we’ve had enough bad over the years.
I didn’t expect them to win but I still backed them in the few tipping comps I’m in. Heart on sleeve rather than brain in gear .

mdrew
21-04-18, 09:50 PM
Arrow, King and Hipgrave tried hard.

Hail Sezer
21-04-18, 09:51 PM
I really want Tyrone Roberts back at 6. :(

I don’t see how that would make any difference at the moment whatsoever?

RavShamrock
21-04-18, 10:00 PM
In all honesty I'm going to point the finger at the coach tonight.
How the hell he went into the game with that left edge is amateur/incompetent. To me the only reason he did was to give the local boys first crack over the new comers as some kind of loyalty and belief tactic. Utter bullsh1t and so bad for team moral because even we as fans know how piss poor that edge looked on paper you don't think the other team mates can see this. That absolutely destroys confidence and developments an unconscious self doubt.

Well hopefully there is no need to play that card again and we can put the best team available on the park every week for the sake of the Fans, Club and players.
Your in the big league now Garth get the fvck with it….

Hail Sezer
21-04-18, 10:10 PM
In all honesty I'm going to point the finger at the coach tonight.
How the hell he went into the game with that left edge is amateur/incompetent. To me the only reason he did was to give the local boys first crack over the new comers as some kind of loyalty and belief tactic. Utter bullsh1t and so bad for team moral because even we as fans know how piss poor that edge looked on paper you don't think the other team mates can see this. That absolutely destroys confidence and developments an unconscious self doubt.

Well hopefully there is no need to play that card again and we can put the best team available on the park every week for the sake of the Fans, Club and players.
Your in the big league now Garth get the fvck with it….

I agree with this in terms of the left edge but I’m not sure I’d be pointing it entirely at Garth when he has a basket of reserve graders to pick from...

Who would you have had as the full left edge? I can’t even think of who we could bring in, as poor as the ones out there tonight were. To me the left edge issue says more about our roster

gotitans101_
21-04-18, 10:16 PM
I don’t see how that would make any difference at the moment whatsoever?

because he can tackle.

oh and because he offered PLENTY more than Elgey ever has in the last 12 months.

Hail Sezer
21-04-18, 10:20 PM
because he can tackle.

oh and because he offered PLENTY more than Elgey ever has in the last 12 months.

Sorry champ forgot you were captain of the anti-Elgey brigade ;):poke:

Understand what you’re saying mate but not sure he’s our saviour

RavShamrock
21-04-18, 10:20 PM
HS I think there would have been plenty of different paths he could have done down for that edge instead of delivering an already proven failure. What type of decision/judgement is that anyway?
I could be wrong but didn't Brennan sign Elliot and Lee and if they can't come into the mix instead of someone like TRD then WTF?

gotitans101_
21-04-18, 10:22 PM
Sorry champ forgot you were captain of the anti-Elgey brigade

he is part of the problem. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you.

Champ? Anti-Elgey brigade?

Fair is fair. I've given him forever. I loved the kid. But he's garbage now. He is a deadset liability. His D is still awful, both is reads and tackling technique, and his A...well...does he offer anything else other than the odd cut-out ball? We are calling for Hurrell and TRD's heads but what about Elgey? What has he done to warrant even being in first grade still?

Mr Bods
21-04-18, 10:23 PM
Just watched the Press Conference
Brennan looked like he might unload on the players but he pulled himself back in and went back to his two favourite post flogging mantras which are
1-I’m satisfied that they never gave up
2-I said all along that we’d get some results like this

Well coach you have had that happen now in 3 out of the 7 performances-the only loss where we went down respectfully was the NZ loss.
Our detractors both of our club and community dine out on garbage dumb half hearted efforts like that.
Next week needs to be something special.

Hail Sezer
21-04-18, 10:25 PM
he is part of the problem. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you.

Just pushing your buttons mate. I know he’s struggling. But I see others who are bigger part of the problem.

Each to their own

- - - Updated - - -

HS I think there would have been plenty of different paths he could have done down for that edge instead of delivering an already proven failure. What type of decision/judgement is that anyway?
I could be wrong but didn't Brennan sign Elliot and Lee and if they can't come into the mix instead of someone like TRD then WTF?

Yes we signed them but can you 100% tell me that their inclusion would see us better off? Brenko is a notoriously bad defender and Elliot isn’t doing much for Tweed

gotitans101_
21-04-18, 10:33 PM
Just pushing your buttons mate. I know he’s struggling. But I see others who are bigger part of the problem.

Yes we signed them but can you 100% tell me that their inclusion would see us better off? Brenko is a notoriously bad defender and Elliot isn’t doing much for Tweed

I agree with this bit. The other problem we have is we have no depth. Brenko simply cannot tackle and Elliot is bog average.

- - - Updated - - -

The question is - how do we get the best out of our current players when they damn well know we have nobody else to replace them with?

RavShamrock
21-04-18, 10:37 PM
- - - Updated - - -

HS there is no Upside to TRD nor does it help the team in any way, especially Sami and LG on his inside.
Would be better even to give some talent from QCup a run/go. Sometimes this can deliver a player that will take it to the next level and there would be no downside on tonights performance
I seen someone on here earlier say Sami had some big runs for Burleigh today. Not sure how the kid goes exactly but just using as an example.
To me if we don't have the talent in the squad then todays game is the exact opportunity we should be trying to unearth the talent we need not flogging a dead horse

Hail Sezer
21-04-18, 10:41 PM
HS there is no Upside to TRD nor does it help the team in any way, especially Sami and LG on his inside.
Would be better even to give some talent from QCup a run/go. Sometimes this can deliver a player that will take it to the next level and there would be no downside on tonights performance
I seen someone on here earlier say Sami had some big runs for Burleigh today. Not sure how the kid goes exactly but just using as an example.
To me if we don't have the talent in the squad then todays game is the exact opportunity we should be trying to unearth the talent we need not flogging a dead horse

I understand exactly what you are saying mate but you need to understand the logistics of what you’re suggesting. It isn’t as simple as we go to QCUP and grab a player who’s playing well.

The club can’t even play a QCUP contracted player unless there’s is no one in the top 30 or development list that is available for that position. In this case we have the players mentioned earlier being Lee or Elliot.

Sami Sauiluma is a good cup player in a good Burleigh side but has been given a go in NRL before and didn’t set the world on fire.

RavShamrock
21-04-18, 10:42 PM
Also I see Brennan today saying he should not have to fill his roster buy June.
Well I say bloody hurry up mate you need some decent cattle urgently form what I saw tonight.

gotitans101_
21-04-18, 10:43 PM
And another thing....

Brodie Croft - dropped for Riley Jacks for underperforming
Matt Frawley - dropped for Marshall King because of his poor defence.

Yet Elgey remains in first grade at this club. It's like he's some sort of protected species. I'm not sure what the answer is - do you put an older head in there to take some pressure off Ash or you look to another rookie to give a go.

RavShamrock
21-04-18, 10:46 PM
I understand exactly what you are saying mate but you need to understand the logistics of what you’re suggesting. It isn’t as simple as we go to QCUP and grab a player who’s playing well.

The club can’t even play a QCUP contracted player unless there’s is no one in the top 30 or development list that is available for that position. In this case we have the players mentioned earlier being Lee or Elliot.

Sami Sauiluma is a good cup player in a good Burleigh side but has been given a go in NRL before and didn’t set the world on fire.

Hey HS are we able to dump players from the roster completely and replace them with Qcup players

gotitans101_
21-04-18, 10:51 PM
Just watched the presser - holy **** is Brennan pissed lol

"we're a dumb football team at times as well" - we sure are Garth, we sure are.

Hail Sezer
21-04-18, 10:59 PM
Hey HS are we able to dump players from the roster completely and replace them with Qcup players

Unfortunately not mate

Just watched the presser - holy **** is Brennan pissed lol

"we're a dumb football team at times as well" - we sure are Garth, we sure are.

Hahaha I’m going to watch it RN. I’ve been waiting for Garth to move past the diplomatic responses and fire up. Know he’s got it in him

RavShamrock
21-04-18, 11:01 PM
Yes Gotit I just watch it to.
He's pissed off and embarrassed as well I recon.
Sure looked like he was cranky with James. Don't blame him sh1t captains knock really.

shamus
22-04-18, 12:13 AM
Turned it off with 15 to go...still don’t know what the final score was. Don’t care ( beer talking) watched a couple of movies to calm myself. Violent movies so that plan didn’t work. All good though. 5 weeks on the road and now back into a routine. Now we see what we are made of.

JunctionBlock
22-04-18, 08:58 AM
Sorry champ forgot you were captain of the anti-Elgey brigade ;):poke:

Understand what you’re saying mate but not sure he’s our saviour

Can I be captain of the anti-Hurrell brigade?

My 2 cents worth is LG isn't the problem, I thought he's been playing a lot better this season. If we have defensive liabilities down our left edge tonight then we have them on our right edge every game. Coach tried to tighten up our left side by moving James out there early in the season but then our middle turned to pudding. Issues with our left edge came the second Cartwright came onto the field in place of Matthews. I would have thought he would have been used only in the event that we were behind on the scoreboard to spark some attack. Unfortunately he was out there for 20-30 minutes before I saw him come in and take a run and an offload, meanwhile he was never covering that edge defensively.

I think if there is one player we can drop at this stage and improve our team it would be Cartwright. Find your mojo and come back or don't. He's capable of great things but we're not getting that. Copley will hopefully be back next week and we'll stop worrying about our left edge for a while meanwhile Hurrell will still be a **** up on the right edge. Hurrells game last night reminded me of Uate's game last week. I was cheering when he didn't **** up. The loudest cheer came when he caught a ball from a kick off. So in summary if there is one player we can drop and not be in fear of being in a worse position it would be Hurrell.

Hail Sezer
22-04-18, 09:16 AM
Can I be captain of the anti-Hurrell brigade?

My 2 cents worth is LG isn't the problem, I thought he's been playing a lot better this season. If we have defensive liabilities down our left edge tonight then we have them on our right edge every game. Coach tried to tighten up our left side by moving James out there early in the season but then our middle turned to pudding. Issues with our left edge came the second Cartwright came onto the field in place of Matthews. I would have thought he would have been used only in the event that we were behind on the scoreboard to spark some attack. Unfortunately he was out there for 20-30 minutes before I saw him come in and take a run and an offload, meanwhile he was never covering that edge defensively.

I think if there is one player we can drop at this stage and improve our team it would be Cartwright. Find your mojo and come back or don't. He's capable of great things but we're not getting that. Copley will hopefully be back next week and we'll stop worrying about our left edge for a while meanwhile Hurrell will still be a **** up on the right edge. Hurrells game last night reminded me of Uate's game last week. I was cheering when he didn't **** up. The loudest cheer came when he caught a ball from a kick off. So in summary if there is one player we can drop and not be in fear of being in a worse position it would be Hurrell.

Good post JB

Captaincy approved

RavShamrock
22-04-18, 09:20 AM
Jb I would love for Copley to be back this week but the injury update was stating 3 weeks.
If there was cover I'd also give Koni a spell but that's no where near the case.

Titanic
22-04-18, 10:30 AM
What’s the matter with that dunder head? Ever since he busted Croker in game one he’s turned to putty. Get a goddamned haircut, get some goddamned attitude or get back to Warriors B’s or C’s. “The best centre in the NRL” is looking like the quote fail of the year.

lonegull
22-04-18, 11:21 AM
Everyone should watch the press conference and see how passionate a coach we have,it great we finally have a coach not sugar coating the players not frightened to let them know if his thoughts, I dare say it may be an interesting week at trading Garth was filthy in the presser he blood was boiling under his skin

Upthetits
22-04-18, 11:41 AM
Just watched it. He is seething at the start and as james first speaks he looks away as if he's about to explode. Very angry man and rightly so. He is correct though, we are only a young side and we will take hits like this as players develope...

JasonE
22-04-18, 12:23 PM
Does anyone know what is happening with Joe Greenwood ?
Last season was a bit of a learning curve and I thought he did ok, I think he offers more than some others that Brennan has preferred so far.

ja4220
22-04-18, 12:46 PM
Yeah I watched the press conference this morning and was like wow.. he is ready to pop his top...
Too his credit he still handled the questions well.

DIEHARD
22-04-18, 02:09 PM
Here is the link https://www.titans.com.au/news/2018/04/21/post-match-press-conference/

psmitty
22-04-18, 03:11 PM
Our backs are our biggest problem except for Gordon and Taylor although sometimes he makes stupid mistakes like kicking out on the full in two or three games this year.

LG has to go. If we are to build a team that can compete for a premiership it will not be with him in our team. He is average at best. Yes I agree he has improved but he has shown almost nothing in over 12 months and I wouldn't be resigning him. I would consider putting peachy there next year. He played exceptional against us last week but I haven't been following him that much to see if consistency is a part of his game.

Don is solid and rarely makes mistakes so I would say that he is the best of the rest outside of Gordon and Taylor.
Hurrell has been playing crap this year but like someone else said I would be prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt on his previous times here on the coast. He needs to find his form quickly but I wouldn't be dropping him.
Copley has played ok this year but don't real see him as a great centre. I wouldn't resign him if we can get someone better. Overall over his time here he has been average.
Sami and TRD I think will turn out to be big nothing burgers. I don't see much in them at all. Yes Sami runs the ball up hard but almost almost gets dragged back and I don't see him breaking any lines or threatening any oppositions.

Our backs are our biggest problem by far and I don't think we have much back up in Lee etc I think we need to look towards the future and get rid of a few of these guys especially LG and Copley and look to buy a decent centre and a good up in coming winger. Just my thoughts.

gotitans101_
22-04-18, 03:53 PM
^ LG I agree with but Copley? He's far from our biggest problem imo.

teke
22-04-18, 06:46 PM
Our backs are our biggest problem except for Gordon and Taylor although sometimes he makes stupid mistakes like kicking out on the full in two or three games this year.

LG has to go. If we are to build a team that can compete for a premiership it will not be with him in our team. He is average at best. Yes I agree he has improved but he has shown almost nothing in over 12 months and I wouldn't be resigning him. I would consider putting peachy there next year. He played exceptional against us last week but I haven't been following him that much to see if consistency is a part of his game.

Don is solid and rarely makes mistakes so I would say that he is the best of the rest outside of Gordon and Taylor.
Hurrell has been playing crap this year but like someone else said I would be prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt on his previous times here on the coast. He needs to find his form quickly but I wouldn't be dropping him.
Copley has played ok this year but don't real see him as a great centre. I wouldn't resign him if we can get someone better. Overall over his time here he has been average.
Sami and TRD I think will turn out to be big nothing burgers. I don't see much in them at all. Yes Sami runs the ball up hard but almost almost gets dragged back and I don't see him breaking any lines or threatening any oppositions.

Our backs are our biggest problem by far and I don't think we have much back up in Lee etc I think we need to look towards the future and get rid of a few of these guys especially LG and Copley and look to buy a decent centre and a good up in coming winger. Just my thoughts.Need a fb, 2 wingers and definitely 1 centre (maybe 2). Alot of changes that definitely won't happen in 1 off season

rj62
22-04-18, 07:11 PM
Everyone should watch the press conference and see how passionate a coach we have,it great we finally have a coach not sugar coating the players not frightened to let them know if his thoughts, I dare say it may be an interesting week at trading Garth was filthy in the presser he blood was boiling under his skin

Refreshing wasn’t it. He was filthy, with good reason.

Toads
23-04-18, 06:49 AM

****aye.. I gotta see this. Can't recall a Titan's Coach ever having a spine.

EDIT: Good on him, that was a fair summary of the player's performance on the night. Such a refreshing change seeing a Titan's coach making players accountable.

Titanic
23-04-18, 09:30 AM
Interesting to see how our precious pups take it.

Mr Bods
23-04-18, 10:02 AM
Interesting to see how our precious pups take it.

It’s a good point you make there. Given our players have seen that they can be involved in the removal of a Coach it does make it difficult for Coach Brennan to immediately have the authority that he should have.

Titanic
23-04-18, 01:29 PM
He should point at least one and make an example immediately. Although you could argue that Latu got that.

DavidBouveng
23-04-18, 05:11 PM
Gordon, Arrow and Wallace only players that should take a pay check from that game, maybe Rein as well

everyone needs to smarten up, 15 errors and 12 penalties - giving the opposition the ball 27 times is rediculous and the smart teams have started giving less penalties and winning again so if we don't adapt we will become irrelevant very quickly.

DIEHARD
23-04-18, 08:22 PM
The sooner the better in terms of laying down the law and making some changes.