PDA

View Full Version : Round 5: TITANS vs SEA EAGLES (2018)

DIEHARD
01-04-18, 08:33 PM
TITANS vs SEA EAGLES
SUNDAY 8TH APRIL, Marley Brown Oval, Gladstone

DIEHARD
01-04-18, 08:34 PM
Tickets: http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=TIT0518&v=MBO&p=ETAN2018704GS

DIEHARD
01-04-18, 08:34 PM
Actually this game is already sold out, not sure on capacity. Probably not much.

General public allocation exhausted

JunctionBlock
01-04-18, 09:28 PM
Surely we'll see more Titans fans than Manly fans in Gladstone?!?!

JunctionBlock
01-04-18, 09:44 PM
https://i.imgur.com/OxbMkHP.png

teke
01-04-18, 11:51 PM
Time for a Titans reality check next Round :D

ozynorts
02-04-18, 07:57 AM
Time for a Titans reality check next Round :D

And I will be there in person to see it...... Can't wait

Titanic
02-04-18, 09:39 AM
With both teams showing some form the NRL couldn’t have asked for a better promotion of the game ... Ozy you are one lucky SoB going there.

Mr Bods
02-04-18, 11:33 AM
We need to continue improving and have back to back quality performances and wins. Plus it’s Manly featuring DCE and given Manly cheated In order for him to backflip which was such a Low Act then this is a very important game for us fans. That backflip caused our club great pain and brought us to our knees.
Manly are definitely beyond the pale thanks to its lack of integrity towards us.

So get out the streamers folks-this is a “must win”.

Mexican titan
02-04-18, 01:17 PM
We need to continue improving and have back to back quality performances and wins. Plus it’s Manly featuring DCE and given Manly cheated In order for him to backflip which was such a Low Act then this is a very important game for us fans. That backflip caused our club great pain and brought us to our knees.
Manly are definitely beyond the pale thanks to its lack of integrity towards us.

There is too much hate in your life Bodsie. You hate the Broncos, the Storm and now poor old Manly. You should try being a lover, not a fighter.

Mr Bods
02-04-18, 01:21 PM
There is too much hate in your life Bodsie. You hate the Broncos, the Storm and now poor old Manly. You should try being a lover, not a fighter.

My hate list in exact order is Drongoes, Parramatta (while Hayne is there), Melbourne, Manly, Easts, Canterbury. 6 teams out of 16 isn’t that bad is it? When Hayne is gone Parramatta won’t even be on the hate list.

Nols of the Goldy
02-04-18, 01:30 PM
Bodsie you and I could be twins. That is my list too with the exception of order even down to the Parra reference. They were my team growing up (in Parra) and I have always had a soft spot for them until this year and Haynes return. However the Drongoes are number one for me without a doubt with Manly a close second.

Mr Bods
02-04-18, 01:35 PM
^^^ yeah I’ve always got the impression we are a couple of freaks on similar wavelengths Nols

Some info for everyone
Kane Elgey due to run with the Comm Games Baton at 240pm on ch7

Titanic
03-04-18, 01:05 PM
Far out! I don't think I've looked forward to a game so much since .... last week :)

DavidBouveng
03-04-18, 02:37 PM

So get out the streamers folks-this is a “must win”.

I come at it from a different way to you Bodsie.

Although I also am disgusted with the 'ethics' Manly displayed cheating to entice Cherry Evans to reneg, we should send them flowers and a card as its the BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED.

If Cherry Evans never agreed to take money outside the cap and cheat the game, then we never would have signed Ashley Taylor.

the best thing that ever happened i tells ya

timor 2
03-04-18, 04:01 PM
Gold Coast Titans v Manly Sea Eagles, 2pm Sunday at Marley Brown Oval

Titans: 1 Michael Gordon, 2 Anthony Don, 3 Dale Copley, 4 Konrad Hurrell, 5 Phillip Sami, 6 Kane Elgey, 7 Ashley Taylor, 8 Jarrod Wallace, 9 Nathan Peats, 10 Ryan James (c), 11 Kevin Proctor, 12 Will Matthews 13 Jai Arrow

Interchange: 14 Mitch Rein, 15 Max King, 16 Bryce Cartwright, 18 Morgan Boyle

Reserves: 18 Leilani Latu, 19 Jack Stockwell, 20 Keegan Hipgrave, 21 Tyronne Roberts-Davis

The Titans are unchanged after their re-jigged forward pack helped produce a stunning form reversal against Brisbane last week.

JunctionBlock
03-04-18, 05:06 PM
https://i.imgur.com/y7A5fyI.png

Had to check the Sea Eagles website for confirmation because Kelepi Tanginoa has been named on the NRL.com website at 17 but then mention Jack Gosiewski in the 17. So Tanginoa is out (ACL) Gosiewski in at 17.

Mr Bods
03-04-18, 05:31 PM
Last time we played Manly we got pumped at home 30-10 and Manly didn’t have Tom T that day either. Coach Brennan needs to have our men equally as focused and probably playing better than Sunday for us to be any chance of getting the points in what to me is a “must win”.

Manly are right on their game this year.

teke
03-04-18, 06:56 PM
I come at it from a different way to you Bodsie.

Although I also am disgusted with the 'ethics' Manly displayed cheating to entice Cherry Evans to reneg, we should send them flowers and a card as its the BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED.

If Cherry Evans never agreed to take money outside the cap and cheat the game, then we never would have signed Ashley Taylor.

the best thing that ever happened i tells yabest thing thats happened to Manly aswell cause DCE is levels above any other half in the game and will probably stay that way for the next 5 yrs

JunctionBlock
03-04-18, 06:59 PM
best thing thats happened to Manly aswell cause DCE is levels above any other half in the game and will probably stay that way for the next 5 yrs

The only way he is levels ahead of any other half is because he has the neck of a giraffe. If you're talking skills then I hope your workplace doesn't drug test.

RavShamrock
03-04-18, 07:06 PM
best thing thats happened to Manly aswell cause DCE is levels above any other half in the game and will probably stay that way for the next 5 yrs

Well he should be a shoo in for rep honours then?
I would hope not.

- - - Updated - - -

Just looking at the benches for our game (which I'm considering as a yard stick this year) I think we have them covered.

Mexican titan
03-04-18, 08:31 PM
Last time we played Manly we got pumped at home 30-10 and Manly didn’t have Tom T that day either. Coach Brennan needs to have our men equally as focused and probably playing better than Sunday for us to be any chance of getting the points in what to me is a “must win”.

Manly are right on their game this year.

Wouldn't say that Manly are right on their game Bodsie. Only 10 days ago Souths murdered us and Manly were flat, which hopefully was due to playing in 40 deg heat the week before.
The Titans never have a better chance to beat Manly with Tommy T and Sironen out who have been going well. You are correct that the Titans have to improve on the Broncos effort. I watched that game again today and while I was over the moon on Sunday that the Titans won, the Broncs were just terrible. Probably the worst I've seen them play for a long while. We also saw the Titans have a great win over the Storm last year and we saw just how it all unravelled after that game.
As for me I don't really enjoy these games anymore but a win to the Titans would do a lot to get the season going and might get the club some respect. So c'mon Titans.

Mr Bods
03-04-18, 09:22 PM
^^^ MT you are doing the transition slowly and thankfully you are headed in the right direction. Having done it myself though I do recommend just ripping the band aid off and just fully embracing the Titans. It’s surprisingly easy and feels good.

RavShamrock
03-04-18, 09:40 PM
Bodsy you are such a gentleman.

RavShamrock
03-04-18, 10:46 PM
Taylor to face Hannant?
Author QRL Media Timestamp Tue 3 Apr 2018, 07:48 PM

Former Test forwards Dave Taylor and Ben Hannant could give fans another reason to arrive early for Sunday’s momentous NRL clash in Gladstone.

Previous teammates at club, state and national level, the two big boppers are a potential Intrust Super Cup match-up when the CQ Capras take on the Burleigh Bears at Marley Brown Oval.

The game is being held in Gladstone as a curtain-raiser to the Gold Coast Titans v Manly Sea Eagles NRL fixture.

Taylor has been named to suit up in jersey 12 for the Capras, while Hannant has not been officially listed by Burleigh, despite speculation he is ready to return from hamstring injury.

However, if Hannant’s debut in round two is anything to go by, we know Burleigh is reluctant to throw the star signing under the spotlight and he could well be a last-minute inclusion when team sheets are handed to match day officials.

Interestingly, Hannant was in the same team as Taylor when he made his debuts for the Broncos, Queensland and Australia.

The last time they played on opposite sides at NRL level was September 5, 2015 when Hannant’s North Queensland Cowboys defeated Taylor’s Gold Coast Titans 42-12.

Around the Intrust Super Cup, it’s the names that are missing that are creating as much consternation as those that have been announced.

Young Tonumaipe’a will be missing from the Easts Tigers line-up in their clash with the Redcliffe Dolphins, having been named for call-up to the Melbourne Storm.

Tonumaipe’a scored three tries in a rout of the Sunshine Coast Falcons last week.

Brandon Smith has also been named for another week with the Storm, while the impressive Patrick Kaufusi is on the extended bench in number 19.

Redcliffe has not named Jonus Pearson, but he could well be available after the Brisbane Broncos selected State of Origin winger Corey Oates ahead of him.

Corey Jensen was initially named for the Townsville Blackhawks to play the Tweed Heads Seagulls, but has since been called up to the NRL and replaced by Rod Griffin, with Ross Bella coming on to the bench.

Meanwhile Shaun Nona, a premiership player for both the Northern Pride and Illawarra Cutters and former QRL Representative Player of the Year, has been omitted from the Wynnum Manly team to tackle Souths Logan.

Nona, who is contracted to the Broncos, was also overlooked for selection in Wynnum’s breakthrough win against the previously undefeated Norths Devils last week.

One player who has been named to take his place again this week is Mackay Cutters fullback Lachlan Coote, with the former NRL premiership winner still working his way back from hamstring injuries.

JunctionBlock
04-04-18, 06:52 AM
They get better curtain raisers than us

Titanic
04-04-18, 10:03 AM
They get better curtain raisers than usMy thoughts precisely ... surely it’s a no-brainer to have QCup before a home fixture.

Menoitios
04-04-18, 10:39 AM
For those of us at the game (I'll be there for sure) keep an eye on the Capras number 9, Billy Gilbert. He's a fair dinkum champion with a heart as big as Phar Lap! Some are already calling him leagues answer to the honey badger. lol

I've always wondered what you'd get if you put the heart of one of these little blokes into a Dave Taylor or Tony Williams. An unstoppable monster I'd reckon. Here's an article about him...

Outback Bill: Incredible story of rugby league’s new cult hero.

IN an era of beep tests, Yo-Yos and BMIs, Billy Gilbert is a throwback to a time when men became match fit simply by doing manly things.

Gilbert's name will be unfamiliar to all except those in the southwest of NSW and the most staunch of Sharks supporters but his on-field exploits for the CQ Capras in the Intrust Super Cup and his extraordinary pre-season regimen is winning him plenty of admirers in Rockhampton.

The Capras will form part of a major footy festival in Gladstone this Sunday as the Titans take their home game against the Sea Eagles to Marley Brown Oval where Gilbert is likely to feature prominently against Burleigh.

His 67th minute try sparked the Capras' come-from-behind win over Ipswich last Thursday but it was the 21-year-old's stat line the week before that underlined his skill and high workrate.

Although the Capras went down narrowly to the Mackay Cutters 18-16 in Round 3, Gilbert walked from the field with a stats line of 47 tackles, 149 metres run, six tackle breaks, one try, one line break, two offloads, a try assist and a line break assist, his incredible workrate the by-product of 55 days spent in the outback completing backbreaking work in order to provide food for a crocodile farm.

"At the end of last footy season I went to the Northern Territory, shooting feral buffalo and horses for use in crocodile farms," Gilbert told the QRL website.

"You'd do seven animals in the morning, have lunch, then do another seven in the arvo.

"You shoot them, drag them up, spin them on their side, skin them, bone them, roll it over and do the other side.

"I tell ya, the humidity was off the Richter scale. She was a decent workout."

But that wasn't his only outback experience of the summer, Gilbert also travelled 1300 kilometres from the Northern Territory town of Katherine to help cull 40 wild camels.

"I told me old man that I wanted to work real hard, just kill myself with work, and leave no stone unturned," said Gilbert, who hails from Darlington Point 33 kilometres south of Griffith, population just 1,016.

"I'm in Rockhampton, living 1800km from home, I've got no family here, nothing in general, nothing to lose.

"I might as well give this everything I've got.

"Going to the desert, the middle of nowhere, and hunting animals while I knew everyone else was on off-season was something I wanted to do from a mental aspect."

They're the type of qualities all coaches would kill to have in all of their players but Capras coach Kim Williams conceded they have to rein in 'Outback Bill' for fear of setting unreasonable expectations.

"He's a character from the past; one of the sort of blokes the game probably misses a bit these days," Williams said.

"You could say he's a bit unique, but we don't ever want him to change.

"He's got a great attitude, is a sponge for information and is highly motivated to be the best he can.

"That absolute enthusiasm and drive to succeed is a fantastic strength, but we also have to temper it because he sets pretty high standards of himself.

"He needs reminding just to live in the moment sometimes."

In addition to his efforts on the field Gilbert's laid-back bush persona is also winning him plenty of fans, the 85kg No.9 taking his dog along when asked to do some local media.

"You could say he has the same outlook on life as most folks from this region," Williams explained.

"We call him 'The Man of The People' because you can't help but warm to him."

https://www.northernstar.com.au/news/cq-capras-hooker-billy-gilberts-unusual-preseason-/3377260/

Titanic
04-04-18, 11:05 AM
Great article ... I’ve coached all over the joint and could write books about players like this guy ... it’s what makes me puke thinking of Hayne and Myles.

Menoitios
04-04-18, 11:20 AM
Great article ... I’ve coached all over the joint and could write books about players like this guy ... it’s what makes me puke thinking of Hayne and Myles.

Yeah mate, I know what you mean. I'm great mates with Jason Hetherington. When he was coaching the Capras here, he was always on the lookout for raw boned country lads. They're just naturally tough and willing to have a dig! They don't sook either!

JunctionBlock
06-04-18, 03:38 PM
Gulp....

https://i.imgur.com/b1I8Mr3.png

RavShamrock
06-04-18, 04:46 PM
Hey Brennan do us all a favour and make sure you get one-on-one with Taniela Paskeka at some stage over the weekend and tell him how great you can make him at this club. And tell him the home truth about Manly going no where fast whilst the Cherry wanker is at the helm which is basically for ever. LOL!

RavShamrock
06-04-18, 05:11 PM
DCE: Silver lining in Titans contract saga

Author Margie McDonald Senior Reporter Timestamp Fri 6 Apr 2018, 08:01 AM

It is three years since Daly Cherry-Evans reneged on a four-year deal with Gold Coast Titans by recommitting with the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

A world of pain descended on the then 26-year-old, father of two, throughout those deliberations.

The headlines weren't kind and the name-calling was pretty intense. The media camped outside his home.

On Sunday, Cherry-Evans faces the Titans for the third time since that dramatic turn of events in round five Telstra Premiership action at Marley Brown Oval, in the central Queensland coastal city of Gladstone.

Once again his name is in the headlines – and it relates back to that eight-year, $10 million contract he signed in June 2015. This time the debate is whether the third-party agreements in it were part of salary cap breaches Manly have been fined $750,000 for. The club is appealing the penalties.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg said last week no current players in the Sea Eagles squad had question marks over their contracts. The sanctions relate to up to 15 former players over the past five years.

Cherry-Evans tried to clear the air after the 32-16 win over Canberra last weekend.

"It's certainly not nice when your name is attached to something like that," he said.

"I certainly wasn't surprised that they [media] somehow found a way to put my name in front of it."

Sitting with NRL.com in the stands at Lottoland, Cherry-Evans knows his Titans saga will always be part of his story. But he also knows he changed a piece of rugby league contracting history.

"I thought of this the other day," he said with a wry smile.

"I'd like to think my rugby league success would have a bigger bearing on people's perception of me. But when it's all said and done, I'm not naive to think that I haven't changed the rules.

"I tell you why I don't cringe about it or feel awkward about it. The rule being changed because of what I went through has meant I've helped shape that side of the game.

"The game certainly looks a lot better, a lot cleaner, not as messy anymore, where contracts are concerned."

Cherry-Evans had bought a house at Mermaid Beach so he fully intended going to the Titans. But after he changed his mind, the public outcry of it all prompted the NRL to change the rules.

The NRL scrapped the round 13 deadline, which allowed a player signed for another club for the next season to go back on their word and re-sign with their current club before that mid-year, June 30, date.

The game's governing body replaced it with a 10-day cooling off period for any new contract and it became known as "the Cherry-Evans rule".

That too has now been scrapped under the new collective bargaining agreement signed last December by the NRL and the RLPA so players have no escape route out of a deal.

The move is designed to take some power away from player managers.

Cherry-Evans looks back on that time and knows it made him stronger and wiser.

"No one got hurt; no-one was injured; no one was sick. So the reality is it wasn't too bad a situation," he said.

"But what it did do was take me and my family through the papers for a very long time … a lot longer than anyone anticipated or wanted. So, in hindsight, it was a very tough part of my life and my career.

"But it certainly shaped the person I am today and I have no regrets about what happened. Things could have been done differently but that's certainly not a regret.''

He said he had seen former Titans chairwoman and now part-owner, Rebecca Frizelle, several times since, and the pair had been "pleasant" to each other.

But the experience of 2015 means he does not engage on social media, apart from an Instagram account that has been fairly dormant, although he's contemplating rebooting.

"I'm thinking of using it a bit this year. I post no photos of my family but I would like the fans to see how much fun it is around the boys at training and at games.

"I'm proud to show that side of Manly to a larger audience."

- - - Updated - - -

What an absolute twat. He just doesn't get it this bloke.
He's got the emotional intelligence of a F$%king Maggot. I hope we get some well overdue payback on this douchebag on Sunday.

Titanic
06-04-18, 05:12 PM
I totally enjoyed the way Fletch blew-off DCE’s little story of him and Ben Barba doing a runner from a taxi in Mackay.

DIEHARD
06-04-18, 05:14 PM
Proctor delighted to be back home

KEVIN Proctor says his move to the Gold Coast has had its intended effect as he prepares to run out for his 200th NRL match on Sunday.

Proctor signed with the Titans ahead of last season in a homecoming for the 29-yearold and his partner Leesa.

“I only really moved for my family,” said the former Palm Beach Currumbin High student.

Despite some “bumpy” times, he hailed the move from Melbourne as being positive.

“We are really happy here, with our house we’re renovating, and the kids love it here too,” he said.

“It’s a great lifestyle and I’m sure that my parents and my missus’ parents are really happy that we’re back up here too.”

The Melbourne premiership winner is feeling physically and mentally ready for a big season as his combination with Ash Taylor gradually develops towards the level he achieved alongside Cooper Cronk at the Storm.

The Titans are looking to back up their upset win over Brisbane by defeating a hot and cold Manly side in Gladstone.

“It’s a big game for us to test that we’re not a one-game miracle,” Proctor said.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
06-04-18, 05:37 PM
Brennan no soft touch
http://www.couriermail.com.au

GARTH Brennan slammed the Titans as “soft” in a savage sledge that has fuelled the Gold Coast’s revival.

The Titans recorded one of the club’s most famous victories when they stunned the Broncos last Sunday in a 26-14 boilover at Suncorp Stadium.

The Gold Coast’s first win against the Broncos in Brisbane in 11 years came a week after the club’s second-biggest ever loss, 54-8 to the Dragons.

In a brutal honesty session, new coach Brennan labelled his team soft and challenged them, particularly the forwards, to respond against the Broncos.

Test backrower Kevin Proctor, who will play his 200th NRL match against Manly in Gladstone on Sunday, said Brennan had set a new standard at the club.

“He was calling us soft, he was calling us that as a group,” he said.

“The boys really took it on board and didn’t want to play soft again. We don’t want to get called that again.

“All the boys really rallied and trained well that week.

“We really stood up. We need to be a consistent footy side and stand up again this week.”

Brennan’s challenge was accepted by the Titans, who were physically stronger and more determined than the Broncos.

They were led superbly in the engine room by captain Ryan James, young lock Jai Arrow and Proctor, who is back to his best after a poor debut season on the Gold Coast last year.

Arrow has exceeded expectations in his first four matches for the Titans and said the team did not want to produce another embarrassing performance again.

“We came out and made a statement and that’s something we want to do every week,” he said.

“We’ve got to take in the same attitude and hopefully get the job done against a side that’s been travelling well in Manly.”

Brennan looks set to field an unchanged side against the Sea Eagles at Marley Brown Oval, with only backrower Will Matthews rested from training yesterday.

The Gladstone clash is a Gold Coast “home” game, but the fourth of six straight away matches for the Titans because of the Commonwealth Games. › THE two Penrith fans who racially abused Greg Inglis have been indefinitely banned from attending NRL games.

The NRL yesterday announced the two spectators would be barred until they had proven they had undergone education and apologised to the South Sydney skipper.

Dooldog76
06-04-18, 05:56 PM
Will Matthews out. Infected cut.

DIEHARD
06-04-18, 07:02 PM
LeagueUnlimited Preview: Titans v Sea Eagles preview - LINK (http://leagueunlimited.com/news/31534-titans-v-sea-eagles-preview/)

DIEHARD
06-04-18, 07:02 PM
Brennan: One week won't break Cartwright
http://www.nrl.com

Garth Brennan insists one minute in one game is not going to break his star recruit Bryce Cartwright, and Gold Coast Titans forward Jai Arrow reckons one great game could make the former Penrith Panther.

Call it the 'Cartwright conundrum' if you like but the Titans are yet to unlock the key to the ball-playing back-rower.

Last week the Titans put in their best display of the season with a 26-14 win over the Brisbane Broncos, a game in which Cartwright played just one minute off the bench.

Brennan told NRL.com Cartwright would play more minutes against the Manly Sea Eagles in Gladstone on Sunday and insisted last week's lack of game time would not dent the 23-year-old's confidence.

"One week is not going to break him," Brennan said.

"He he's had a tough year Bryce, but it wasn’t on purpose that I left him off.

“The boys were defending so well against Brisbane I just didn’t want to break their mojo, but if we were 12 points behind or needed points you would have seen Bryce out there.

"He'll play a lot more minutes against Manly but it is about me not putting him under the pump when he is down on confidence."

Arrow, who like Cartwright joined a new club in the off-season, said his fellow forward had unveiled "freakish" skills at training and just needed to get the self-belief to do it in a game.

“Once he grows in confidence and gets used to the structure he will kill it," Arrow told NRL.com.

“I think Bryce can only go up from here. At training I've seen his ability to see things and ball play, and that pretty freakish flick pass as well that comes off more often than not.

"As Garth says, it will take time for Bryce to play the footy he has in the past."

Bryce’s uncle, John Cartwright, had a remarkable around the corner pass he used to unveil at the line for the Penrith Panthers in his pomp.

Panthers premiership winner Scott Sattler said Bryce had even more skill than his famous uncle.

“John was one of the toughest and most skilful modern day forwards with beautiful, subtle, light hands but I reckon Bryce has more hand-to-hand skill than his uncle," Sattler told NRL.com.

"Bryce can play before the line, through the line and he can play late but he is a different player to John.

"Bryce probably has to watch vision of [former Cronulla captain] Gavin Miller, a guy that could play tough early and then brought finesse into his game.

"He has just got to grit his teeth and play really physical and aggressive early on in the match and see what happens."

Brennan said he was confident the penny would drop soon, but he added he was not concerned if it took a while for Cartwright.

“He is not a dummy, Bryce, he knows what he needs to work on," Brenann said.

“He is a work in progress. We are in no rush to get him where we need him to be."

JunctionBlock
06-04-18, 07:37 PM
- - - Updated - - -

[B]What an absolute twat. He just doesn't get it this bloke.
He's got the emotional intelligence of a F$%king Maggot. I hope we get some well overdue payback on this douchebag on Sunday.

It'd be kind of like the first person caught shagging a farm animal coming out in ye olde days saying because of what I did they made a law against it! It's my legacy.

RavShamrock
06-04-18, 07:46 PM
LOL! Yes JB

DIEHARD
07-04-18, 12:38 PM
The story behind how we lured the Titans to Gladstone
https://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au

TWO mates sitting on a couch watching footy together was all it took for the Gladstone NRL idea to be conceived.

Gladstone Region mayor Matt Burnett and Ocean Tyres owner Lance Backer sat beer in hand with their feet up before Lance made a remark that would kick start our NRL adventure.

"Lance and I were watching footy, a Titans game, and he said 'you know they've got to move next year and won't be able to play at Cbus (Stadium)? - they have to move because the Commonwealth Games are on',” Cr Burnett said.

"I said 'really? where are they going?' and he said 'well I don't think they even know yet, they could come to Gladstone - so that's where it began.

"He asked whether we can do it and I said of course, we can we just need to start the conversation.

"If they're getting booted out then the state government will have to compensate them for moving.

"What we did then was, I met with some officials at the Titans and asked what we'd have to do to get the Titans to come to Gladstone next year when they get kicked out for the Commonwealth Games.

"They said we were actually the first people to come to them - the conversations from there went backwards and forwards and then I had a conversation with Titans CEO Graham Annesley and went down and met with him and asked him what we had to do.

"He said they'd come up and check us out and from there the rest is history.”

Lance's version of events is similar to those of the Mayor.

"I suggested to Matt they'll have some away games because of the (Commonwealth) Games and said I'd to take him down to a game and introduce him to the Titans management,” he said.

"We set up a meeting with Titans management and Matt did the rest.

"Because I'm a foundation member I suggested it to him, he came down for a couple of games as a guest and I introduced him to Graham Annesley and the major players and he ran with it.

"He did all the hard work after that - it's a credit to Matt in my opinion - he bided against Rockhampton, Sunshine Coast and Mackay.

"There was a fair bit involved apparently and very tenaciously, like a fox terrier, he pulled it off and here we are.”

A Balmain Tigers supporter as a kid, Lance became a Titans' supporter and foundation member in 2007.

"There were 100 foundation members invited to buy in to the Titans,” he said.

"There's actually only 17 paid-up foundation members left from the original 100 and this is our 12th season.

"With my business, I like to give my customers an opportunity to take them away for a game and when the Gold Coast Titans became a club I applied to get involved. There were two tickets left and I got the last two seats.

"So I was fortunate and every year since their inception we go down to the home games and if I can't make it, our staff or customers go during the year.”

Despite Backer's unwavering support, there were times when he considered giving up his foundation membership.

A Wooden Spoon in 2011, salary cap breaches, financial problems leading to the resignation of inaugural CEO Michael Searle and a cocaine scandal involving a number of high-profile players had Backer ready to rip up his tickets.

"Over the 12 years I've been very frustrated with the issues and adverse publicity, I was very close to pulling out a few times because I didn't want to be associated with all the stuff that happened,” he said.

"But I've stuck with them mainly because of one man and that's (Titans sales manager) Tony 'Knackers' McDonald.

"Him and I have a very good relationship and it's because of Knackers that myself and Ocean Tyres are still with the Titans.

"He's a funny bugger, he's passionate and it's because of him that we're still there. I've built up a really good relationship with him and his wife Danielle.”

Despite playing the role of matchmaker with the Titans and Cr Burnett, Lance was quick to acknowledge the hard work conducted by the mayor behind the scenes.

"I'm really thankful to Matt for his persistence, for his support. It's really great for Gladstone and the community.

"I just hope now we can get a purpose-built stadium in the future with a 10,000 minimum capacity to bring the boys back again.”

DIEHARD
07-04-18, 12:40 PM
Titans skipper keen for Gladstone clash
https://www.cqnews.com.au/

RUGBY LEAGUE: The 2018 season may have started in bright fashion for the Gold Coast Titans but captain Ryan James knows his side can't afford to rest on its laurels after an impressive 26-14 victory against Brisbane Broncos last Sunday.

The Titans' fast start against the Broncos, where they led 10-0 after five minutes, will need to be replicated against Manly Sea Eagles at Marley Brown Oval tomorrow afternoon.

Manly is more than capable of blowing sides away early on in a contest, with its 54-0 Round 2 demolition of Parramatta testament to that.

"They've been pretty good the whole year,” James said.

"They had that hiccup against Souths (in Round 3) but they always try to come out and start really fast and strong.

"Hopefully the travel wears them down a bit and we start like we did against the Broncos - that was probably the best start we've had all year.

"We just need to back up what we did last week because one good win doesn't justify what you've done all year.”

Both sides sit at two wins and two losses this season, making tomorrow's result even more crucial as teams battle to climb the NRL ladder.

The Titans skipper feels his side is better positioned player-wise this season, especially in the forwards with off-season recruits Bryce Cartwright, Jai Arrow, Will Matthews and Leilani Latu adding some much-needed starch to their forwards, who are led by 26-year-old James.

Having new coach Garth Brennan at the helm has also spurred the squad to aim even higher.

"Obviously with a new coach you're trying to impress and we know every spot is up for grabs and everyone is just trying to play their best footy,” James said.

"We have pretty good depth as well - we've got a couple boys coming back from injury who could probably push for a first-grade spot.

"It's good to have depth this year whereas last year we were lacking in the forwards but this year we've got a lot of good, young forwards who can come step into a spot if someone gets injured.”

The Titans kicked off its season by edging the Raiders 30-28 on the Gold Coast but have been on the road since with games in Auckland, Toowoomba and Brisbane.

The 193cm, 106kg back-rower, who can also play at prop, has felt the excess travel has helped galvanise the squad while on the road.

"It's always good just to get away and be around the boys. You start bonding more as well and once you get closer you start playing better footy,” he said.

As far as playing in Gladstone is concerned, the New South Wales Origin hopeful is calling on the Marley Brown Oval crowd to cheer on his side.

"It would be great to get as many Titans' fans out there as possible... If it can feel like a home game it would be great to run out there in front of some supporters,” James said.

"Our Legion follows us everywhere and if we can get the community behind us as well that would be great.”

Upthetits
07-04-18, 04:06 PM
Boom Manly Sea Eagles fullback Tom Trbojevic is a strong chance to make an early return from injury in tomorrow's NRL clash against Gold Coast Titans at Gladstone's Marley Brown Oval.

Trbojevic injured his right ankle late in the Sea Eagles' 32-16 victory against Canberra last weekend and was expected to miss two weeks.

The 21-year-old travelled with the squad to Gladstone and has been named among the reserves for the Round 5 clash.

The dynamic runner trained strongly away from the main group at Manly's Captain's Run on Saturday morning with a final call on due to be made on his fitness come match day.

Manly coach Trent Barrett hasn't ruled Trbojevic out at this stage.

"Yeah he's a chance. He'll train again this morning and we'll make a decision on that tomorrow," he said.

"He's still got plenty of time but he's running really well and we expect him to play."

The Sea Eagles will also welcome back representative centre Dylan Walker, who plays his first match of the season after breaking his leg playing for the Prime Minister's XIII against Papua New Guinea last September.

"We all know how good a player Dylan Walker is," Barrett said.

"He brings a lot of enthusiasm and a bit of x-factor, but we're certainly not expecting miracles from Dylan in his first game for a long time."

Barrett expects his side to confront a Titans squad with an extra spring in its step after an impressive win against the Broncos last Sunday.

"They were really good last week, I thought their energy was good and they played really physical," he said.

"They've got some pretty handy players in there and (Ash) Taylor is a real threat and Konrad Hurrell has been playing really well as well.

"We know who we have to contain but it's about us doing our job properly and getting a result."

Manly held its Captain's Run at Marley Brown Oval and Barrett said he liked the Gladstone facility, but doesn't expect too much support from the stands come 2pm Sunday.

"We'll expect a pro-Titans crowd being up here in Queensland but that certainly doesn't worry us," he said.

"We've just got to do our job but the town has been really good. It's really friendly place and they've done a really good job of the oval so I'm looking forward to it."

DIEHARD
07-04-18, 08:11 PM
Bryce Cartwright set to start in second-row after Will Matthews ruled out

GOLD Coast have been forced to make a change from the team that stunned the Broncos.

Will Matthews has been ruled out of the Round 5 clash with Manly in Gladstone tomorrow, with coach Garth Brennan revealing it had stemmed from the win at Suncorp Stadium.

“He cut his leg last week in the game and it got a little bit infected,” Brennan said.

Max King has been named in the starting side at second-row but the 20-year-old usually plays prop or lock.

Bryce Cartwright was spotted training on the left edge during the week and is a more likely candidate to directly replace Matthews.

Keegan Hipgrave has been promoted to the bench.

The other man excluded from the 19-man squad was prop Leilani Latu, who played for Tweed Heads today in Townsville.

Tyronne Roberts-Davis and Jack Stockwell are on the extended bench and will line up for Burleigh in the Marley Brown Oval curtain-raiser against Central Queensland if not required by Brennan.

The Bears will kick-off at 11:45am, with the Titans to start at 2pm.

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au

Mr Bods
08-04-18, 12:59 AM
No to Cartwright starting at 2nd row. This is a massive game and we need a strong pack.
Move James to 2nd row and start King at prop.
Then bring on Hipgrave/Boyle/Cartwright for Wallace/King/Arrow as required and have James/Proctor play the full 80 in the second row.
Brennan needs to stick to his guns in how he planned things in the pre season.
Hope our blokes stand up tomorrow in their application.

Upthetits
08-04-18, 07:13 AM
I like this idea much better than carty starting 2nd row.

RavShamrock
08-04-18, 07:42 AM
Bodsy James must stay in the middle that is paramount.
If Cartwright can't handle slotting into that second row position then he probably shouldn't be on the bench.
Boyle played some second row last year maybe he can do a job there to start?

ozynorts
08-04-18, 07:45 AM
It’s game day. :) bit overcast at the moment but looking like a great day. Can’t wait.

JunctionBlock
08-04-18, 10:38 AM
Reports that Tommy Turbo failed the fitness test so won't play today.

ozynorts
08-04-18, 11:25 AM
Just saw Annersley arrive. Also it looks like Neil Henry might be in commentary again as I am sure I saw him arrive too

ozynorts
08-04-18, 12:20 PM
Was good to see Chris Knell, had a quick chat.
The boys should hopefully come out to warm up soon will try to get pics

ozynorts
08-04-18, 12:31 PM
Reports that Tommy Turbo failed the fitness test so won't play today.

Just asked J Turbo and yes Tom T is out.

DavidBouveng
08-04-18, 01:08 PM
i like King in second row. he has been running wide and Kane turning him back inside a little bit when he has been on.

He has strong D and fit too. better option than carty right now.

ozynorts
08-04-18, 01:13 PM
Dave Taylor is huge, looks like a wombat crawled into his jumper

JunctionBlock
08-04-18, 01:26 PM
Manly 1-17

Titans have King to Matthews edge, hipgrave promoted to bench.

Mr Bods
08-04-18, 01:55 PM
Last time we played at a low key Country venue we were hopeless
Then.a week later on the big stage the concentration and application was great

Now we are back to a low key country atmosphere again...

- - - Updated - - -

Just asked J Turbo and yes Tom T is out.

What percentage of the crowd are Manly and what percentage are going for us??

ozynorts
08-04-18, 01:58 PM
- - - Updated - - -

What percentage of the crowd are Manly and what percentage are going for us??
Much more Titans gear than Manly mate. :) lots of people also wearing other clubs

Mr Bods
08-04-18, 02:00 PM
Much more Titans gear than Manly mate. :) lots of people also wearing other clubs

That’s good news
The people of Toowoomba totally dogged us and went for St Merge
Toowoomba-never again. Done their dash.

RavShamrock
08-04-18, 02:02 PM
Good work Ozy.
Nice to hear some ground level commentary

Mr Bods
08-04-18, 02:05 PM
Far out there are some members of The Legion there
I take my hat off to them.

- - - Updated - - -

Mini GF Kicking Off now
This needs to be a complete performance or we are under big pressure

Randomologist
08-04-18, 02:09 PM
Already following the script, poor defence on the edge, give away a penalty and then concede a try before touching the ball. Come on boys

Mr Bods
08-04-18, 02:15 PM
Manly look more fired up to me
Something I find unacceptable

- - - Updated - - -

Lucky Wallace try should have us on the job now

ozynorts
08-04-18, 02:17 PM
We are running into a stiff breeze

rj62
08-04-18, 02:18 PM
How much better value is Gordon than the broken Cessna from last year

mdrew
08-04-18, 02:19 PM
Penalties killing us already

JunctionBlock
08-04-18, 02:20 PM
It's the obligatory blow 4 penalties early to let the players know who's boss.

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 02:21 PM
That’s good news
The people of Toowoomba totally dogged us and went for St Merge
Toowoomba-never again. Done their dash.

The problem is all the Dragons fans in SEQLD would have traveled, and I'm sure there is a lot more Dragons merch out there than Titans. Look at Brisbane games, and our visual support is disgraceful. I think the local authorities and media did their bit for the Titans, but the result was overwhelming Dragons attendance.

JunctionBlock
08-04-18, 02:34 PM
How has Koni not been given the instruction not to throw the footy away when he's in a tackle to attract a penalty. It's 50/50 at best probably more 30/70.

- - - Updated - - -

Bodsy, did you see what Carty did?

rj62
08-04-18, 02:38 PM
Boom - just don’t let them score before half time

- - - Updated - - -

How quick is our play the ball when we get moving

- - - Updated - - -

Farkkkkk Koni

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 02:39 PM
Ah heartbreaker with Konrad losing the ball. B. Cartwright looking good so far.

How good is that Bunnings? They'd be enjoying some free advertisement.

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 02:40 PM
Great pass by DCE to us. Let's not lose our heads now.

Damn it....

rj62
08-04-18, 02:41 PM
Bull**** call on proctor

JunctionBlock
08-04-18, 02:41 PM
So last week it was a strip against us when Lodge went for the offload this week its a loose carry from Proctor.

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 02:42 PM
Lots of turn overs on the last in this game.

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 02:45 PM
Good call to go for the two.

JunctionBlock
08-04-18, 02:48 PM
Lots of turn overs on the last in this game.

I like that we are running it.

- - - Updated - - -

Please please please please

rj62
08-04-18, 02:50 PM
Get that into ya!!

JunctionBlock
Yeah baby. Couple less nudie runs from the forwards.

DIEHARD
Well done Boyle, first NRL try for him. :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 02:51 PM
I like that we are running it.

Me too, a bit of that makes good Rugby League.

RavShamrock
08-04-18, 02:51 PM
12 down and running into a stiff breeze this is where I"D expect the weak gutted Cherry wanker to go missing in the second half

ozynorts
08-04-18, 02:52 PM
Manly look more fired up to me
Something I find unacceptable

- - - Updated - - -

Lucky Wallace try should have us on the job now
Just gotta breath mate, and then believe

rj62
08-04-18, 02:52 PM
What a great half

Agree with you JB - we look great running the ball

Boonarga
08-04-18, 03:00 PM
Elgey. Is he back? Confidence looks good. Trying things. Running. Defending well.

Mexican titan
08-04-18, 03:01 PM
How good is that Bunnings? They'd be enjoying some free advertisement.

You concentrate on Bunnings but I noticed the Dan Murphys.

Pretty good all round performance by the Titans and they should go on with it with the wind behind them.

GCTTSD
08-04-18, 03:03 PM
Good to see Cartwright running hard first before thinking about the fancy stuff

RavShamrock
08-04-18, 03:06 PM
Elgey. Is he back? Confidence looks good. Trying things. Running. Defending well.

Nots sure if he's back but he's well on his way

- - - Updated - - -

Here we go Tits fire up

ozynorts
08-04-18, 03:07 PM
You concentrate on Bunnings but I noticed the Dan Murphys.

Pretty good all round performance by the Titans and they should go on with it with the wind behind them.

And one end of the ground has a pub that overlooks the ground. I asked Chris why there wasn’t a members function in there today and he said that the pub had already sold out the function room 24 hours after the game was announced.

rj62
08-04-18, 03:10 PM
Has to be HIA

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 03:11 PM
Come on Titans hold the line. We got to survive this.

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 03:15 PM
Great tackle B.Cartwright. Phew. :surprise:

JunctionBlock
08-04-18, 03:16 PM
Great tackle B.Cartwright. Phew. :surprise:

Is he Carty yet?

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 03:16 PM
Is he Carty yet?

Never again.

Mr Bods
08-04-18, 03:24 PM
What you think of the James on report incident??

JunctionBlock
08-04-18, 03:24 PM
Never again.

How about Barty? B Cartwright takes way too long to type.

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 03:26 PM
****kking DCE...... ****

JunctionBlock
08-04-18, 03:28 PM
Of all the people...I was screaming for a hammy to go. Then I saw Koni chasing and thought fate might pick the wrong hammy.

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 03:29 PM
That hurt. I loathe that lowlife.

Mr Bods
08-04-18, 03:31 PM
If we blow this it will be bitter

DIEHARD
Oh we could be in big trouble here... :fist:

JunctionBlock
Koni is now on my list. Sorry but he is not NRL level.

rj62
08-04-18, 03:32 PM
Ffs we don’t deserve that

gotitans101_
08-04-18, 03:32 PM
All started by Koni's stupid kick up the other end. ****ing idiot.

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 03:34 PM
Oh thank you Don, thank you.

gotitans101_
08-04-18, 03:35 PM
Gladstone sound like they're firmly behind us...don't **** this up boys.

JunctionBlock
08-04-18, 03:36 PM
And that guy just passed a concussion test. Hahahahahaha

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 03:36 PM
OMG!!! PLAYED IT THE WRONG WAY. HAHAHA HAVEN'T SEEN THAT FOR YEARS.

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 03:37 PM
Gladstone sound like they're firmly behind us...don't **** this up boys.

Yes the support and noise and colour has been fantastic. Let's do it for them.

Mr Bods
08-04-18, 03:39 PM
This is where we need Taylor and LG to step it up and lead us

TITAN PETE
Brennan needs to put Hurrell on notice he has been rubbish for the past 4 weeks & defense is far more important than attack

Elliott & Lee I'm sure are back from injury

Our forward pack is very good this year , very mobile

rj62
Yeah baby

Come on boys

BundyTitan
08-04-18, 03:40 PM
Have we forgotten to kick occasionally on tackle 5? Fair enough running it when you have numbers or momentum but that hasn't been the case. Put in a grubber Ash.

JunctionBlock
08-04-18, 03:41 PM
Gotta stop going Hurrell side for the 5th. He's got nothing.

BundyTitan
08-04-18, 03:42 PM
Hurrell surely has to be put on notice, defence is being terribly exposed and fitness doesn't look up to scratch.

Mr Bods
08-04-18, 03:43 PM
Just when you need a play from Taylor he puts it out on the full

JunctionBlock
08-04-18, 03:44 PM
Phew, forward a mile.

Just go back a bit. hastings should enter the stawell gift. Fastest 15m dash to put that hit on Taylor. I'm sure he wasn't offside becasue the refs are always spot on.

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 03:44 PM
Forward. Phew... Manly have the momentum here, can we turn it around or withstand this? 10mins is a long time in our sport.

BundyTitan
08-04-18, 03:47 PM
That clock is ticking down so slow, going to be a long 7 minutes

- - - Updated - - -

Geez Gordon makes a difference to this team, smart footballer

JunctionBlock
Nice leave by Gordon.

And then heart attack city from Sami (who's been quiet)

DIEHARD
The Titans are really testing our hearts in the second half.

JunctionBlock
08-04-18, 03:48 PM
Woohoo, is Don Is Gooooood.

amaline
Gotta stop going Hurrell side for the 5th. He's got nothing.

Lol

BundyTitan
YES, finally running it gets the result. This would be a character building win, been under the pump for the last 15 minutes

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 03:49 PM
Oh yesssssss...... fanbase group hug. You beauty.

Don in the corner after running the last. High risk but the cards landed our way.

rj62
Donnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Mr Bods
Please kick this Mick

rj62
Handy conversion this would be

JunctionBlock
08-04-18, 03:50 PM
Lol

That was all Don. Koni just funnelled the ball and didn't even draw the player.

BundyTitan
08-04-18, 03:51 PM
God damn it, that would've put us a bit at ease. How is there still 5 minutes left....

- - - Updated - - -

Don't think my heart can take golden point today, hold on fellas

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 03:51 PM
Just when we really needed that 2 points to make it an 8point buffer. Hopefully we can tough out the last few mins.

JunctionBlock
08-04-18, 03:52 PM
Anyone on field want to find the guy with the air horn?

DIEHARD
Don't think my heart can take golden point today, hold on fellas

Yea I want this win and then I can move onto deathriding Parra.

BundyTitan
Gordon close to MOM, had a massive game

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 03:53 PM
I love having Gordon back there. How fast were those bloody Manly players coming for them? Scary stuff.

DIEHARD

Agree.

BundyTitan
Thought Taylor bagged that one, at least we get the dropout as 7 tackle set would've been costly

BundyTitan
08-04-18, 03:54 PM
YES!!! Either way this could be the game. We either have 6 to go or try

JunctionBlock
08-04-18, 03:55 PM
Hope it's not Patten in the bunker again.

Mr Bods
Award the try you mongrel

BundyTitan
Arrow deserves a double today, been our best all year and once again one of the best on field today along with Mick

- - - Updated - - -

Confident here as it's gone up as a try

DIEHARD
:ugh: Try? What a frantic minute of footy.

BundyTitan
08-04-18, 03:56 PM
TRY, no way they can overturn that.

- - - Updated - - -

:ugh: Try? What a frantic minute of footy.

Heart pumping at an abnormal speed

Mr Bods
Ref said try so has to give it if no evidence

JunctionBlock
TRY, lets get some KFC!

DIEHARD
I agree, can't overturn that.

BundyTitan
YEWWW what a win for the boys, that's the game :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 03:57 PM
Oh... wow. What a game. Well done Titans. Thank you Gladstone!

gotitans101_
Arrow is amazing.

rj62
Oh boys you bloody beauty !!!!!!!!!!!!

JunctionBlock
08-04-18, 03:58 PM
Proctor for the tww. How good is that?!?!

What a fortnight.

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 03:59 PM
These games and these wins are so important to bag, before we can return home. I'm really pleased to see the Vs and also against teams such as the Broncos and Manly.

That's a little payback to the Giraffe.

rj62
08-04-18, 04:02 PM

Totally agree

ozynorts
08-04-18, 04:03 PM
That was huge. Great atmosphere at the ground and huge cheer at the end. Gladstone really supported the Titans. Even better we are ahead of the donkies now

mdrew
08-04-18, 04:03 PM
Max King good also. We have the makings of a good pack for years to come

BundyTitan
08-04-18, 04:04 PM
HOW GOOD IS THAT. Still some things to work on but we are building and building as the weeks go on.

Firmly believe our forward pack can match it with just about every other one in the comp. Mobile and plenty of effort to go along with it. Arrow honestly has to go close to buy of the year, has been absolutely huge and wouldn't be surprised if he's chucking on a maroon jersey this season or next. Need to keep this guy for a very long time.

Gordon has been massive for us, added so much to this team and a major reason we are getting results like these. The experience and effort he brings to the side is so valuable as shown by moments like leaving the kick in the second half to gift us 7 tackles, the tackle on a much bigger Fonua Blake and the electric kick returns. Such an improvement on the Horse Whisperer.

Hurrell definitely has to be under pressure. Great guy and an absolute character but he looks either injured or unfit and his defence and handling of the footy is evidence of it. Probably lucky we don't have great depth in the backs but Lee should be a chance if he is going well in QCUP (although his defence isn't much better).

Just great to finally watch Titans games with excitement and belief. We now sit 3-2 (who would have thought?) and even better we are the current leaders of Queensland. Go you Titans!

gotitans101_
08-04-18, 04:04 PM
It's finally happening. I'm finally starting to feel it.

RavShamrock
08-04-18, 04:10 PM
That was huge. Great atmosphere at the ground and huge cheer at the end. Gladstone really supported the Titans. Even better we are ahead of the donkies now

Yeah that came across on the tele. Well done Gladstone thanks for the great game and support.

lonegull
Very scrappy win but will take it, good to get a win when we know that we didn’t play the best. Arrow once again unbelievable his work rate is astounding, Flash Gordon at the back Brilliant also his positional play and reads in defence were great.

TITAN PETE
Jai Arrow Man of the Match & buy of the year

The most impressive thing about our forward pack is Proctor is our weakest link & he's not going anywhere , our future looks awesome

amaline
08-04-18, 04:11 PM
Lol

I know. I couldnt help it though.

RavShamrock
08-04-18, 04:13 PM
I feel that score line really flattered Manly.
Well the Cherry wanker did get an intercept but did F***ALL else.
Get that up you low life to never play for QLD again. Thank God

Sit there in the sheds counting your dirty money you grub

rj62
08-04-18, 04:22 PM
6th on the ladder after that.

Just seeing us play as a team and get that quick play the ball happening.

Great win

JunctionBlock
08-04-18, 04:30 PM
I know. I couldnt help it though.

Commentator curse.

We just pushed The Storms out of the 8. Feels good.

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 04:53 PM
Post match press conference - https://www.titans.com.au/news/2018/04/08/post-match-press-conference/

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 04:54 PM
Match report.
http://www.titans.com.au

If the Gold Coast Titans go places this season they may well look back on the day in Gladstone where star recruit Bryce Cartwright got his mojo back as a defining turning point.

After playing just one minute the previous week in the win over the Brisbane Broncos after a lacklustre start to his Titans career, Cartwright was a menacing presence on the edge in the Gold Coast’s 32-20 win over the Sea Eagles in front of 5135 fans in central Queensland.

While confidence comes and goes, class is permanent, and Cartwright flick pass in the 26th minute for Jai Arrow to score oozed skill and guile. It gave the Titans a crucial edge against a brave and injury-ravaged Sea Eagles.

The Titans gave their coach Garth Brennan some nervous moments and it took until the 79th minute to put Manly away, when Arrow scored his second.

Halves Kane Elgey and Ash Taylor backed up their superb performance against the Broncos while lock Arrow took another step towards a Maroons jersey in front of coach Kevin Walters.

The Sea Eagles had already lost Curtis Sironen and Kelepi Tanginoa for the season with ACL injuries before the match.

Fullback Tom Trbojevic failed a late fitness test, while winger Brad Parker complained of stomach cramps in the warm-up and was replaced by Jonathan Wright.

He became the Sea Eagles No.603 and the club’s second debutant on the day with bench forward Jack Gosiewski also playing his first NRL game for Manly, after six for South Sydney.

The Sea Eagles were celebrating inside the opening two minutes with a try to debutant Wright on the left.

The kicking wizardry of Taylor saw Jarrod Wallace score on the back of a kick and the scores level at 6-6.

Before the game Arrow told NRL.com about his appreciation for the Cartwright flick pass and that it wouldn’t be long before it was unveiled in a game to maximum impact.

With the Titans leading 8-6 in the first half, Cartwright unfurled with his signature play on the fifth tackle near the line and Arrow was the recipient.

Titans bench forward Morgan Boyle scored his first career try when Akuila Uate got smashed by Michael Gordon and coughed up possession with the Titans taking a 20-8 lead into the break.

Daly Cherry-Evans almost came back to bite the Gold Coast Titans on the backside again, this time with a length of the field intercept in the 55th minute when the Titans seemed certain to score.

Minutes later Brian Kelly had bridged the gap to just two points (22-20) after a dart up the middle from dummy half by Api Koroisau.

That set up a grand stand finish with Manly refusing to lay down.

Dylan Walker returned to the field for the Sea Eagles for the first time since the Prime Minister’s XIII clash in September last year after having surgery on a broken ankle and his shoulder.

Walker was tentative out in the centres but will only be better for the run.

The Titans, wooden spoon favourites with some pundits before the season kicked off, are now in the top eight and the best placed of the three Queensland sides.

Mr Bods
08-04-18, 04:59 PM
Consecutive Wins over Brisbane and Manly. These are days to be savoured.

rj62
08-04-18, 05:07 PM
Consecutive Wins over Brisbane and Manly. These are days to be savoured.

With these Coronas !! Great stuff

Mr Bods
08-04-18, 05:16 PM
Massive shout out to the Gladstone Community who unlike the Toowoomba Community got right behind us.

Dooldog76
08-04-18, 05:36 PM
Great win, but we still need a defibrillator in our merch pack. Jai Arrow is the buy of the season in my opinion. He’s so good in the middle. I said it in an earlier post, but Gordon is the best fullback we’ve had since Campbell and that has been a few years. We are starting to really look like a quality team and for me it feels weird getting two wins in a row. Here’s hoping for a third.
The last time I saw a ball played the wrong way was Martin Bella in a state of origin game.

Ausphin
08-04-18, 06:30 PM
Good win. Have to think Arrow will go close to origin based on form this year. Definitely playing better than Papalii, Thaiday, Napa, Cooper.

Although we were awful against the Dragons, our 2 losses were against the 2 teams at the top of the table undefeated after 5 rounds. Also, despite the Dragons putting 50 on us, we still have a better for and against than the Broncos.

Thought Boyle looked better today. Made some impact in defence. Koni still a concern. If LG keeps up his form I wonder if Peachey plays in the centres next year. Some difficult decisions ahead with LG and Copley off contract at year's end. Personally I prefer Copley over Koni.

ozynorts
08-04-18, 06:33 PM
The last time I saw a ball played the wrong way was Martin Bella in a state of origin game.
We had a huge laugh at that. Many comments were made as he allegedly passed a HIA test in the first half.

teke
08-04-18, 07:00 PM
Good win by the Titans.

Two Wrights in the Eagles team equals a big Wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Gordon is the best fullback we’ve had since Campbell and that has been a few years. We are starting to really look like a quality team and for me it feels weird getting two wins in a row. Here’s hoping for a third.
The last time I saw a ball played the wrong way was Martin Bella in a state of origin game.If Mead was in this Titans setup he'd be providing as much if not more than what Gordon is, he's currently tearing up the Superleague and doing what he does best returning 100m tries

Upthetits
08-04-18, 07:00 PM
Glad to come away with the win. Was curious as to why ash Taylor didn't try for any repeat sets when we were on their line, he has one of the best short kicking games around.

Arrow and Gordon WOW.
Proctor tackled his **** off also.

Dooldog76
08-04-18, 07:11 PM
Good win by the Titans.

Two Wrights in the Eagles team equals a big Wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

If Mead was in this Titans setup he'd be providing as much if not more than what Gordon is, he's currently tearing up the Superleague and doing what he does best returning 100m tries

Agree with this. Mead was a beast but he was never really given a run at fullback consistently. If the coaches had shown faith in him then I probably wouldn’t have made the comment.

RavShamrock
08-04-18, 07:16 PM
I see Barrett calling for Cherry wanker's return to Origin for QLD.
Yep, these New South Welshman will try anything to win.

teke
08-04-18, 07:20 PM
I see Barrett calling for Cherry wanker's return to Origin for QLD.
Yep, these New South Welshman will try anything to win.There will be a time when the Maroons will be begging for him to play and I hope he Jamie Lyons their ass and refuses.

Boonarga
08-04-18, 07:27 PM
Glad to come away with the win. Was curious as to why ash Taylor didn't try for any repeat sets when we were on their line, he has one of the best short kicking games around.

Risk Vs Reward. I'm seeing this more often lately. Play out the set and if you don't score then they are playing from the 10 rather than 7 tackles from the quarter line. Trust the defence. I like it.

RavShamrock
08-04-18, 07:44 PM
There will be a time when the Maroons will be begging for him to play and I hope he Jamie Lyons their ass and refuses.

Dido on that Teke.

Actually in all honesty I think if the Cherry wanker ever plays for QLD again that would signal the decline of the QLD spirit and their dominance.

Mexican titan
08-04-18, 08:44 PM
If Mead was in this Titans setup he'd be providing as much if not more than what Gordon is, he's currently tearing up the Superleague and doing what he does best returning 100m tries

Sorry to disagree but Gordon is a better fullback than Mead was ever going to be and has been for a while. I'm pleased that Meady is going well in the Super League but that comp is far behind what we have here.

I thought the Titans win over the Broncos had a question mark as the Broncos (pleasingly) are playing terribly, but I thought Manly turned up to play and todays win had a lot more merit. It was great the Titans came through their patches of poor play and were back to finishing stronger by the end. Arrow and Gordon superb, and not too many bad performances at all other than those already mentioned.

DavidBouveng
08-04-18, 09:17 PM
Arrow > Josh Macguire. Kevvie wont upset a winning team this year, but its a matter of time till he owns that 13 for them.

Happy overall, happy seeing a team that looks well coached and this is very early days, imagine once we are closer to the final product that Brennan is aiming for.

The players walking around on field talking after the game looked so content and satisfied and close as a team.

If we score on that play instead of DCE going the length we would have really gone on with it, but he took the momentum back and it was a wrestle form then on. proud we stuck it out.

teke
08-04-18, 09:38 PM
There is room for MacGuire and Arrow in the Maroons Id say

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 11:52 PM
Titans too good for Sea Eagles in Gladstone

NRL: A party atmosphere engulfed Marley Brown Oval yesterday as Gladstone turned out in force to celebrate a centenary of rugby league.

Fans queued long before the gates opened to secure a place on the hill or in the grandstand, packing out all corners of our hallowed ground.

The sell-out crowd of 5135 were treated to an enthralling contest between the Gold Coast Titans and Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles with the Titans prevailing 32-20 in the Round 5 match.

There was a huge cheer as the Titans kicked off, but it was short lived as the home side conceded a penalty in the first set which led to the opening try to Manly winger Jonathan Wright.

The Titans struck back in the seventh minute when an Ash Taylor cross-field kick was batted back by captain Ryan James into the path of prop Jarrod Wallace, who crashed over the line.

Michael Gordon added the extras to square the match at 6-6, although Manly soon responded through a Daly Cherry-Evans penalty goal in the 11th minute.

The game began to settle into a rhythm despite a strong south-easterly breeze making life difficult for both sides.

The Titans found the chalk again in the 27th minute when Jai Arrow crossed for the first of two tries to hand Gold Coast a 12-8 lead.

Manly conceded a cheap penalty in front of the posts in the 36th minute and the Titans had no hesitation in taking the extra two points to open up a six-point lead.

Titans interchange Morgan Boyle scored right on the stroke of half-time to hand Gold Coast a 20-8 lead at the break.

Both sides went at each other to begin the second half but it was the Sea Eagles who made the brighter start, albeit against the run of play as an 85-metre intercept try to skipper Daly Cherry-Evans breathed life back into the contest at 22-14 after 55 minutes.

Manly struck back again only minutes later when hooker Api Koroisau made a bust with centre Brian Kelly backing up to plant the ball down next to the posts to bring the visitors within two points.

The Titans lost Dale Copley to concussion which forced a backline reshuffle, resulting in back-rower Bryce Cartwright shifting to the centres.

The tensions began to build heading into the final 10 minutes as an engaged Gladstone crowd cheered on every hit with a cacophony of noise.

A wayward kick out on the full by Ash Taylor had Manly back on the attack, but they couldn't capitalise as Joel Thompson had a try disallowed due to a forward pass in the lead-up by Koroisau.

The Titans were doing just enough to hold on and seemingly sealed the contest with a try to winger Anthony Don in the 74th minute.

Gordon couldn't convert from the sideline which gave Manly a sniff at 26-20 as the clock continued to tick down.

Taylor attempted a field goal with two minutes left, which was touched by a Manly player, resulting in a line drop-out.

The Titans sealed the victory, its third of the season, when Arrow scored his second try in the dying seconds.

Titans forward Kevin Proctor took the conversion in his 200th game and made no mistake from right in front.

Despite a few nervous moments midway through the second half, Titans coach Garth Brennan thought his side deserved the two competition points.

"I thought it would've been really disappointing if the boys didn't get the result today," he said.

"They worked really hard but made it hard for themselves at times in the second half.

"There were some gutsy performances there, especially after losing Dale Copley.

"The boys were determined to put on a good performance today and I'm really proud of their effort."

Titanic
08-04-18, 11:53 PM
Gave them a start, clawed our way back into it, nearly surrendered a good lead and finished full of running ... plenty to like about this group.

I am gradually starting to believe in Brennan's structure. I don't have anything really to say about the game or the team except I hope Copley recovers quickly. We won and the Eags got what they deserved. The youth and vigour of this squad is encouraging.

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 11:54 PM
It's Marley Brown Oval like you've never seen it before

A CROWD of 5135 rugby league fans watched Daly Cherry-Evans produce a spectacular 85-metre try at Marley Brown Oval

But the home side - Gold Coast Titans - made history to record a 32-20 win in Gladstone's first ever NRL match for premiership points.

Titans' 200-game milestone man Kevin Proctor hopes to be back in the port city in 2019.

"It was good, especially for a country town and there were heaps of supporters there, which was good and the atmosphere was awesome," he said just before the team did a recovery session at the Gladstone Gladiators swimming pool.

Victorious Titans' captain Ryan James said the team rode on the emotion from the Marley Brown Oval crowd at a time when Sea Eagles threatened to win.

"It was great to come up here and everybody was behind us," he said.

"It felt like a home game and and it was electric out there and I'd love to come back and hope they have us again."

Gold Coast Titans' previous outing to a regional centre was in Toowoomba and coach Garth Brennan said this time it was a great response to give the fans what they wanted.

"The people of Gladstone have been so good and we've been so welcomed since we been here," he said.

"The crowd was great and I think it's fantastic for the game, to be able to bring these games out to these people out in the bush.

"They don't get a lot of footy and I mean they're diehard rugby league fans and it's important that we give back to them.

"I'm really pleased we put on a performance for the crowd and we can send them away with a smile on their face."

James added that the club has embraced its relationship with the country folk.

"We came up here a couple days earlier to get to know the community," he said.

"We did some work up here a couple of weeks ago and Brenton Lawrence did some community work and he planted the seed.

"Hopefully in the future if we ever come up here, everyone still is on our side."

DIEHARD
08-04-18, 11:56 PM
Gold Coast secure back to back upset wins with a 32-20 victory over Manly
Peter Badel

CAN you believe it? Yes, it’s true ... the Titans are currently Queensland’s No. 1 team.

The Titans club that has endured more low points than a deep-sea diver has rocketed into the top eight after two-try workhorse Jai Arrow inspired a gutsy 32-20 defeat of Manly in Gladstone yesterday.

Playing in the town that spawned Queensland Origin great Gary Larson, it was fitting that the Titans’ triumph was built on the very qualities that made him a Maroons ironman — courage and granitelike defence.

The Titans defended like Larson in his pomp to bolt to a 20-8 halftime lead, then summoned true grit to repel a fierce Manly fightback that whittled the deficit to 22-20 entering the final quarter.

Under siege, the Titans prevailed, halfback Ashley Taylor just edging out Daly Cherry-Evans in an epic playmaking duel with a hand in two match-sealing tries in the final five minutes.

The classy Taylor ignited a 74th-minute short-side rush for Anthony Don to cross and when he slipped a short ball for a flying Arrow 90 seconds from time, the Sea Eagles were shot.

Fittingly, Kiwi Test back-rower Kevin Proctor delivered the coup de grace, slotting the final conversion to ice the celebrations of his 200th NRL game.

“The Titans in the past may have got beaten, but we stuck tight and that was the pleasing thing,” coach Garth Brennan said.

“They are believing in themselves. The pleasing thing is the resolve this team is showing.

“I would have been disappointed if we didn’t get the result. We were the better team. Manly really gave it to us, but we’re a tight-knit team.”

For too long, the Titans have resided in the shadow of the mighty Cowboys and Broncos, but they have now won three games this season — as many as Queensland’s Big Two combined.

The metamorphosis has been as emphatic as it is swift. A fortnight ago, the Titans were the NRL’s laughing stock after conceding 54 points against the Dragons on a horrible afternoon in Toowoomba.

Now the Titans are playing with a harder edge. The poster boy is Arrow. The industrious lock is the superglue of their pack.

The 22-year-old former Bronco channelled Larson as he amassed 20 tackles and 143 metres from 17 runs. Oh, and Arrow also produced four tackle busts, two offloads and two line-breaks. Superb.

“Jai was the best on field,” Titans skipper Ryan James said. “He came from the Broncos to play longer minutes. He has been our best for five rounds.”

Arrow’s commitment was infectious. Even troubled recruit Bryce Cartwright lifted, setting up Arrow’s first try in the 26th minute with a clever flick pass. When Dale Copley left the field with concussion, Cartwright answered an SOS at centre.

“Bryce took a real step forward,” Brennan said. “I don’t think he’s ever played centre before, so he stepped in and did a great job.”

GOLD COAST 32 (J Arrow 2 M Boyle A Don J Wallace tries M Gordon 5 K Proctor goals) bt MANLY 20 (D Cherry-Evans B Kelly J Wright tries D Cherry-Evans 4 goals) at Marley Brown Oval. Referee: Ashley Klein, Tim Roby. Crowd: 5,136

5 Year Contract
09-04-18, 07:09 AM
Living in CQ it was fantastic to see such strong support for the titans especially since this is normally donkeys and cowboys territory. A performance like that will also win you a lot of new fans! Well done boys! On a lighter note ran into Henry at a pub in Rocky friday night and I think ever second person came up to him and said "i would of chosen you over Hayne"....poor bastard hahaha

rj62
09-04-18, 07:26 AM
NRL should forget a 2nd Brisbane team and look at CQ

rj62
09-04-18, 08:18 AM
Sorry to disagree but Gordon is a better fullback than Mead was ever going to be and has been for a while. I'm pleased that Meady is going well in the Super League but that comp is far behind what we have here.

I thought the Titans win over the Broncos had a question mark as the Broncos (pleasingly) are playing terribly, but I thought Manly turned up to play and todays win had a lot more merit. It was great the Titans came through their patches of poor play and were back to finishing stronger by the end. Arrow and Gordon superb, and not too many bad performances at all other than those already mentioned.

I have to agree with that 100%. Gordon’s game yesterday was brilliant. He looks like he’s enjoying his football and being part of this evolving club, no doubt he is a leader amongst them.
The commentators (Voss the Toss) have got to stop focusing on his age. I couldn’t care less. The way he’s playing and his goal kicking ability is something we’ve never really enjoyed before.
The value he brings compared to last year is incredible. Throw in Arrow who continues to improve and the entire forward pack and things are looking good.

Great to see the lack of injuries. Is that better personnel or have we just avoided the plague we experienced in past years ? Either way, it’s bloody great to be able to put a full strength side of the park each week.

The way this team is playing , is the way I’ve always hoped we would compete. We may not win every week , but we won’t die wondering if we keep this up.

Have to again say a massive thank you to Messrs Frizelle and Kelly for having faith in our club. Without them , who knows where we would be.

On to next week very tough game against the Panthers which will be another great test of this side.

JunctionBlock
09-04-18, 09:54 AM
Agree with this. Mead was a beast but he was never really given a run at fullback consistently. If the coaches had shown faith in him then I probably wouldn’t have made the comment.

Your statement still stands. Gordon is the best Fullback we've had. Meady was a winger for the Titans.

teke
09-04-18, 12:14 PM

Not a shock, we pretty much dont agree on anything.

From World cup fullback team of the tournament til now Meads form has been better, he's in a garbage team, Gordon is not. Nothing to do with the quality of competition. His impact in defence and ball in hand has been better

JunctionBlock
09-04-18, 12:18 PM
Take it to another thread. This is about Manly getting outclassed on the weekend.

teke
09-04-18, 12:34 PM
Where are those insane ppl asking for Elgeys sacking now?

Form is temporary class is permanent.

He's going to be a wanted man next contract and I reckon Manly will pounce on him

lonegull
09-04-18, 01:16 PM

He's going to be a wanted man next contract and I reckon Manly will pounce on him

I was one who voiced my concerns, and I am not frighten to admit it. He just needs to stay consistent throughout the year 2 games doesn't make a player all of a sudden a star but I am happy to be proven wrong

JunctionBlock
09-04-18, 01:41 PM

With what money?

lonegull
09-04-18, 02:43 PM
With what money?

CLASSIC

Mexican titan
09-04-18, 03:09 PM
Not a shock, we pretty much dont agree on anything.

Not really mate, but people are allowed to question your opinion about Meady you know. I thought he was one of the best Titans wingers we have had but he wanted to play somewhere else and then chose to go in another direction. Good on him for following his choice.

I guess I had better not hijack the thread. Back to thread, it must have been a challenge for Badel to write his match report and put as much praise on the Titans that he did. It must have killed him to write that the Titans have won as many games as the two Queensland "heavyweights" put together. Badel must have been thinking with his big head today.

JunctionBlock
09-04-18, 03:50 PM
Not really mate, but people are allowed to question your opinion about Meady you know. I thought he was one of the best Titans wingers we have had but he wanted to play somewhere else and then chose to go in another direction. Good on him for following his choice.

I guess I had better not hijack the thread. Back to thread, it must have been a challenge for Badel to write his match report and put as much praise on the Titans that he did. It must have killed him to write that the Titans have won as many games as the two Queensland "heavyweights" put together. Badel must have been thinking with his big head today.

Has he got a big head? Because what I can see he's 100% a d!ck

shamus
09-04-18, 05:09 PM
I am glad it was Taylor that threw the pass that DCE intercepted coz if it had been LG the keyboard warriors would have been out in force.

Mr Bods
09-04-18, 05:28 PM
I am glad it was Taylor that threw the pass that DCE intercepted coz if it had been LG the keyboard warriors would have been out in force.

Shamus I have been a steadfast defender of LG so I am with you in standing up for him.....
However
What do you mean by “keyboard warriors”??? You don’t mean any members of the Titans Forum do you? It’s ok to question his defence, confidence and place in the team. Nobody has attacked his character that I’m aware of.

Or are you saying he has been copping it in social media unfairly?? I don’t do Facebook or Twitter or Instagram etc I just do the Titans Forum so if he has been copping it unfairly in platforms like that then can you enlighten me a little because that is crap. He is such a good young man and ambassador for our club in the community.

shamus
09-04-18, 05:47 PM
No one on here Bodsy... he gets canned a lot on Facebook Titans supporter sites.....all 785 of them. Not so much in the past 2 weeks though

Dooldog76
09-04-18, 06:07 PM
I’m going to be honest, Elgey’s performance against the dragons had me wanting him dropped, but I have never bagged his character, but I have questioned his performances. He has been solid lately However like many have said, two games don’t make a season and he just has to be consistent. I’m a huge Elgey fan and he has been torn a new one on Facebook, which would affect anyone I guess. It looks like he’s starting to get his confidence back and doesn’t have to compete against Tyrone Roberts anymore.

DavidBouveng
09-04-18, 06:11 PM

yeah it is funny how quiet people are about Ash's game. He was ok, just.

Gave the intercept, which is not the end of the world, it happens, but then missed the initial tackle letting Api through for the second try bringing the game to 2 points, and then puts one out on the full when trying to close out the game.

He was apart of the last try's for us as well so at least he contributed and getting the match back, but the silence was deafening about his errors.

Mr Bods
09-04-18, 06:28 PM
No one on here Bodsy... he gets canned a lot on Facebook Titans supporter sites.....all 785 of them. Not so much in the past 2 weeks though

Thanks Shamus-as I was saying my online behaviour is pretty much restricted to commenting on the Titans in here and on another particular Gold Coast team that plays a certain other code that I won’t mention for fear of being decapitated by Titan Pete.
I find the other platforms like FB, Twitter etc just a bit too nasty for my sensitive soul of GC Love.

Hail Sezer
09-04-18, 08:24 PM
yeah it is funny how quiet people are about Ash's game. He was ok, just.

Gave the intercept, which is not the end of the world, it happens, but then missed the initial tackle letting Api through for the second try bringing the game to 2 points, and then puts one out on the full when trying to close out the game.

He was apart of the last try's for us as well so at least he contributed and getting the match back, but the silence was deafening about his errors.

So true.

Kane is one of the only ones in this squad who actually chose our club over others that were offering much better money and opportunity. He loves the Titans and showed respect, loyalty and commitment to the cub and fans all those years back when he chose us over Manly. Fast forward an ACL injury, followed by a year in a struggling team and a turbulent season for the club in general, and the poor kid becomes the punching bag for those twats on Facebook who's football IQ is lower than Arrow's missed tackle count. I'm all for criticising performance and he was out of form for some time but it's been super refreshing having guys like DB and teke giving real perspective. Absolutely stoked to see Kane getting confidence and I hope that he continues to improve.

On another note - did anyone expect Jai Arrow to be THIS good? I mean I knew he could play but I thought he would be a stats player who just made his tackles and got through work. The guy is a ****ing terminator

TITAN PETE
09-04-18, 08:44 PM
Thanks Shamus-as I was saying my online behaviour is pretty much restricted to commenting on the Titans in here and on another particular Gold Coast team that plays a certain other code that I won’t mention for fear of being decapitated by Titan Pete.
I find the other platforms like FB, Twitter etc just a bit too nasty for my sensitive soul of GC Love.

Always watching Bodsy :eyebrows:

- - - Updated - - -

I'm with you Sezar ,Arrow has been the buy of the year he has an enormous motor & we can expect to lose him 3 times a year

teke
09-04-18, 08:53 PM
Not really mate, but people are allowed to question your opinion about Meady you know. I.Of course you can question whatever you want, you give an opinion and I generally give a different one :D

Dooldog76
09-04-18, 08:57 PM
The main things that have improved our results, as harsh as they may seem are:
Latu being dropped and Cartwright being dropped to the bench and them being replaced with Wallace and arrow has really made the difference. In the first two games the opposition were carving up latu and Cartwright but now our forward pack has some real sting in it.
The question is, who replaces James in the front row this week if he is ruled out? Do you put arrow there and replace arrow with Matthews? Or leave it as is and replace James with Boyle or king?

RavShamrock
09-04-18, 09:17 PM
HS I hear ya about Kane's loyalty and ability but there comes a time when someone has to be called out/made accountable but it should always be kept in perspective. (Simply the team must come first). Not for one second do I endorse any twats on face book because you'd have to be one to be on there in the first place.

As for Arrow he is certainly crushing it well above expectations. Well I suppose if we knew they call him the "Axe Murderer" then we might have had a clue.

Hail Sezer
09-04-18, 09:54 PM
HS I hear ya about Kane's loyalty and ability but there comes a time when someone has to be called out/made accountable but it should always be kept in perspective. (Simply the team must come first). Not for one second do I endorse any twats on face book because you'd have to be one to be on there in the first place.

As for Arrow he is certainly crushing it well above expectations. Well I suppose if we knew they call him the "Axe Murderer" then we might have had a clue.

Completely agree re accountability and I made reference to that in the previous post too. I wasn't using his loyalty as a defence for poor performance - I was using it to give perspective as to why I think the social media comments were inflated, weak and unreasonable when there are others in the team that seemed to avoid criticism week to week (Koni for example). The poor kid became the scapegoat (yes I understand he was performing poorly but refer to above) to the fans he made the sacrifices to stick around and represent when there were circumstances there that I think made it difficult for him to come back and play good footy. Haha i'm guessing you won't have an instagram handle then Rav? Twitter? Tinder? Grindr?

RavShamrock
09-04-18, 10:08 PM
Not on your life HS

teke
09-04-18, 10:40 PM
On another note - did anyone expect Jai Arrow to be THIS good? I mean I knew he could play but I thought he would be a stats player who just made his tackles and got through work. The guy is a ****ing terminatorI knew Arrow would be good but not to the level you are referring. He's a modern day prime Ash Harro in the making.

DIEHARD
09-04-18, 11:15 PM
Great point HS on the topic of Elgey's loyalty to the Titans. Also a measure we should apply ongoing into the future.

DIEHARD
09-04-18, 11:25 PM
Plans for more NRL games at Marley Brown
https://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/

IF MAYOR Matt Burnett gets his way, Gladstone will be hosting regular NRL matches as early as next year.
Following the huge success of the Gold Coast Titans and Manly Sea Eagles clash at Marley Brown Oval on Sunday, Cr Burnett told The Observer preparations are under way to create a master plan for the grounds within the next 12 months.

With the aim to attract state and federal government funding for the upgrade, Cr Burnett said improved facilities could allow Gladstone to host up to two NRL matches a year.

Sunday's game and the week leading up to it proved we have the facilities and certainly the community will to host more games at Marley Brown.

"The (Marley Brown Master) plan will factor in all the modifications we need to make the field, grounds, car park, grandstands and other facilities attractive to the NRL to host regular games here."

The plan would include details on the location of field, where to put future grandstands, what they will cost and how many people the ground will be able to hold.

Cr Burnett said the success of Sunday's game, which attracted more than 5000 people, showed selling tickets at a game at an expanded venue would not be a problem.

"We sold 5000 tickets for the game, and in the week leading up to the game we could have sold another 5000," Cr Burnett said.

"People came from all over Central Queensland to watch the match, meet the players and attend the clinics, we definitely have the numbers to regularly host future NRL games here."

Cr Burnett said the NRL was impressed with how smoothly everything went before, during and after the game.

"Anyone attending the game will attest to how well organised it was, and we proved that Gladstone has ultimate league field for Queensland," he said.

He was keen to build on the success of the event particularly for future generations of local rugby fans.

"One personal highlight of the weekend was seeing the kids come from all over the region to attend the coaching clinics," he said.
"The first clinic sold out, then we extended it and that one sold out as well, but we still had kids swarming down to the field just to watch the players."

He said interest from younger players alone was a worthwhile reason to bring future NRL games to the city.

"There's no reason why Gladstone couldn't become a regular fixture for future games, we've proven we've got the facilities and the backing of the community, we will get them back," he said.

DIEHARD
14-04-18, 01:37 PM
Glad tidings as Titans host away from Coast

IT HAS been a Titans charm offensive. While Prince Charles has been watching the Campbell sisters and Kurt Fearnley do the Commonwealth proud, a forced exit from the Gold Coast’s Robina home, has been a blessing in disguise for the Titans.

The youngest club in the NRL has travelled 1512km to play “home” games in Toowoomba and Gladstone. Surf and sand traded in for cattle stations and mines.

During that time, 21 Titans players reached 1150 people across the two regions through hospital visits, junior league clinics, small business events and throwing their training sessions open to the locals.

With the reception the players received, it could have been mistaken as a royal tour.

With Dan Murphy’s and Bunnings stores dwarfing either end of Marley Brown Oval at Gladstone, the elite players from Manly and the Gold Coast put on one hell of a show.

They ran out of a modest change room, dodging the makeshift television cables and out on to a ground where blokes hung over the fence with XXXX Gold cans in stubby holders.

One of the highlights was Daly Cherry-Evans kicking a penalty goal that landed on the roof of the leagues club.
The Titans loved it.

Gladstone’s first NRL game coincided with the town’s centenary of rugby league.

In an email to the Fox League team, Lance and Vicki Backer who own Ocean Tyres, expressed their joy at seeing the Gold Coast running around in their backyard.

“What a weekend for the Gladstone region who have embraced the Gold Coast Titans as their team!!” the Backers said.
They even offered to hand over a set of tyres for Kevvie Walters’ Datsun 180B.
Getting into these communities has done wonders for the Gold Coast.

Seeing Titans jumpers scattered throughout the crowd, has been welcome for a club that’s struggled to capture the hearts and minds of its supporter base.

There was no doubt the sell-out crowd of 5135 in Gladstone was right behind the Titans. Those close to the club are convinced it was players’ willingness to get into the community that contributed to it.

“It felt like a home game, and it was electric out there and I’d love to come back and hope they have us again.” captain Ryan James said after the match.

The Titans are the only Queensland team in the top eight.

The Hayne experiment is over, and they look like a side who like to play together and want to win together.

The Gold Coast might have just recaptured their mojo, and all they needed was a trip up the M1 to where rugby league lives and breathes to find it.

DIEHARD
14-04-18, 01:40 PM
http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/14.1.jpg