PDA

View Full Version : Round 3: TITANS vs DRAGONS (2018)

DIEHARD
11-03-18, 07:38 PM
TITANS vs DRAGONS

SUNDAY 25TH MARCH Clive Berghofer Stadium

Mr Bods
17-03-18, 04:50 PM
100% this game has to be treated as a “must win”. We are going to need some supporters out there because we need some love from the whistleblowers to help us along.
It might be Round 3 but this is crunch time.

Titanic
17-03-18, 11:21 PM
James/Rein/Wallace
Cartwright/Proctor
Arrow

Taylor
Elgey
Sami/Copley/Hurrell/Don
Gordon

Latu/Boyle/Hipgrave/King

JunctionBlock
18-03-18, 07:18 AM
I wouldn't put Carty on the edge defending next to LG. James needs to stay out there.

Peats
Arrow, Wallace
James, Proctor
Cartwright
Sami, Copley, Hurrell (if fit), Don
Gordon

Rein, Latu, Hipgrave, Boyle. But that bench is hard too choose.

Mr Bods
18-03-18, 07:48 AM
Cartwright is terrible. Bring him into the game after 30mins at Lock after the settling in period.
Wallace Peats Hipgrave
James Proctor
Arrow
Taylor LG
Sami Copley Hurrell Don
Gordon

Latu King Cartwright Rein

JB could you wait till he at least plays one good game before calling him Carty. No way has he earned the affection of the fans yet.

JunctionBlock
18-03-18, 02:09 PM
Cartwright is terrible. Bring him into the game after 30mins at Lock after the settling in period.
Wallace Peats Hipgrave
James Proctor
Arrow
Taylor LG
Sami Copley Hurrell Don
Gordon

Latu King Cartwright Rein

JB could you wait till he at least plays one good game before calling him Carty. No way has he earned the affection of the fans yet.

Carty Party at yours when he plays a good game. Deal.

Mr Bods
18-03-18, 02:25 PM
^^^ definitely-once he hits his straps I’ll be jumping on the Carty Party Bus for sure. I need to wipe John Cartwright from my memory.

Titanic
18-03-18, 02:34 PM
Cartwright is coming off a season and a pre-season of confidence-sapping Griffin-poop ... I'm not a fan really but am prepared to give him a go. We need more than just hard-running forwards or we'll never beat anybody. I'm tired of 'we really had a dig'.

Mr Bods
18-03-18, 02:40 PM
^^^ agree agree agree....However-there were a number of times last year when we had That bloody Hayne infecting our lives when our men turned it up and embarrassed us all. So seeing a good effort week in/week out has become something that is non-negotiable again.

I hope MT sees this-because of that horrendous piece of poop Hayne I’m seriously thinking of cheering for Manly this arvo. That’s just crazy stuff.

Mexican titan
18-03-18, 02:51 PM
I hope MT sees this-because of that horrendous piece of poop Hayne I’m seriously thinking of cheering for Manly this arvo. That’s just crazy stuff.

Just seen it Bods, about 10 minutes before kick off. I'll hear your Manly chant from here I'm sure.

RavShamrock
18-03-18, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't put Carty on the edge defending next to LG. James needs to stay out there.

Peats
Arrow, Wallace
James, Proctor
Cartwright
Sami, Copley, Hurrell (if fit), Don
Gordon

Rein, Latu, Hipgrave, Boyle. But that bench is hard too choose.

I think your pretty on the money here JB.

Just can't have Boyle in front of king at this point.
As someone else on here and even though Arrow makes an awesome lock, Cartwright at Lock brings a dimension (advantage) to our game that not many other teams could emulate.

TITAN PETE
18-03-18, 04:31 PM
I'm with Titanic Rein is our fit & 1st choice no9

ozynorts
18-03-18, 04:33 PM
, Cartwright at Lock brings a dimension (advantage) to our game that not many other teams could emulate.

At his best, I would agree, but he is a long way from his best. Arrow at 13 and Cartwright to the bench until he shows that he is starting to find his groove here.

Upthetits
18-03-18, 04:34 PM
Dragons broncos then now im most worried about manly...their defence is extremely impressive and they're offloading like the warriors.....

RavShamrock
18-03-18, 04:35 PM
I'm with Titanic Rein is our fit & 1st choice no9

Sure he's outplaying peats at present but I do like what he's bring off the bench.
Pretty sure peats wouldn't make the impact

TITAN PETE
18-03-18, 04:49 PM
Sure he's outplaying peats at present but I do like what he's bring off the bench.
Pretty sure peats wouldn't make the impact

I think Rein would be ideal to start against his old team , his Defence is far superior to Peats at the moment & we will need that next weekend

RavShamrock
18-03-18, 04:52 PM
At his best, I would agree, but he is a long way from his best. Arrow at 13 and Cartwright to the bench until he shows that he is starting to find his groove here.

Point taken Ozy but who's your starting props/team?

JunctionBlock
18-03-18, 05:11 PM
Either way, hopefully we can come in under the radar for this game and catch the Dragons thinking they're 2018 premiers like a few of their fans are.

Barrels
19-03-18, 03:57 AM
We need to persist with cartwright at 13 for the next few weeks until were guarenteed that its not for him. J wal to start and latu to bench. Something like:

8. Arrow
9. Peats
10. Wallace
11. Proctor
12. James
13. Cartwright
14. Rein
15. Latu
16. Hipgrave
17. King/Boyle/Matthews

ozynorts
19-03-18, 08:02 AM
Point taken Ozy but who's your starting props/team?

Wallace into prop for Arrow, nothing else needs to change.

TITAN PETE
19-03-18, 11:37 AM
We need to persist with cartwright at 13 for the next few weeks until were guarenteed that its not for him. J wal to start and latu to bench. Something like:

8. Arrow
9. Peats
10. Wallace
11. Proctor
12. James
13. Cartwright
14. Rein
15. Latu
16. Hipgrave
17. King/Boyle/Matthews

You have the right 18 but I would be inclined to leave Latu out & run with a far more mobile & fast forward pack which is exactly what the Dragons have, looking forward to Hipgrave coming up against Frizell

Titanic Believer
19-03-18, 12:48 PM
You have the right 18 but I would be inclined to leave Latu out & run with a far more mobile & fast forward pack which is exactly what the Dragons have, looking forward to Hipgrave coming up against Frizell

We definitely havent seen the best of Latu. Remembering some of his appearances off the bench last year.

TITAN PETE
19-03-18, 12:59 PM
We definitely havent seen the best of Latu. Remembering some of his appearances off the bench last year.

That's is best position for mine at the moment , he has too many holes in his defence & too slow

RavShamrock
19-03-18, 01:11 PM
Wallace into prop for Arrow, nothing else needs to change.

Sorry Ozy but Latu isn't going good enough to start IMO.

RavShamrock
19-03-18, 05:44 PM
Does anyone know how Stockwell is shaping up and is there any expectation around for this guy?

Mr Bods
19-03-18, 05:47 PM
Does anyone know how Stockwell is shaping up and is there any expectation around for this guy?

I could be very wrong as I’m relying on my fading memory but I believe all of Stockwell, Lee and Elliot are due back in Round 3/4.

Barrels
19-03-18, 06:53 PM
I was a big fan of elliot a few years back. It will be interesting to see whether he shapes up on the wing or is a replacement for gordon at the back

timor 2
20-03-18, 03:12 PM
Titans v Dragons

Sunday, 25 March

Toowoomba Sports Ground

3:10pm (QLD time)

1. Michael Gordon

2. Anthony Don

3. Dale Copley

4. Konrad Hurrell

5. Phillip Sami

6. Kane Elgey

7. Ash Taylor

8. Jai Arrow

9. Nathan Peats

10. Leilani Latu

11. Kevin Proctor

12. Ryan James ©

13. Bryce Cartwright

14. Mitch Rein

15. Will Matthews

16. Morgan Boyle

17. Jarrod Wallace

18. Keegan Hipgrave

19. Joe Greenwood

20. Alexander Brimson

21. Tyronne Roberts-Davis

Titanic
20-03-18, 03:22 PM
If that's the team then I'm assuming King is injured and I have to question carrying two 80 minute hookers in preference to playing Hipgrave over Peats ... our soft underbelly will be exposed. Latu must have got those goat pics from Wilbur.

Mr Bods
20-03-18, 03:45 PM
^^^ King not in the 21 is odd. He’s not mentioned in the injury report, my guess is they want him to get some serious mins into him this week in QCUP.

Bayside Titan
20-03-18, 03:51 PM
Maybe he has another head knock on the weekend. So I think from memory if you have two head knock on a row you have to miss a week.

RavShamrock
20-03-18, 03:51 PM
Not far off the money for mine.
I would say Matthews is riding the "playing the previous team" accolade but in saying that he might just have a blinder

Numbers
20-03-18, 04:49 PM
The match preview on nrl.com https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/20/gold-coast-titans-v-st-george-illawarra-dragons-round-3-preview/ mentions King being unavailable because of illness.

Bayside Titan
20-03-18, 04:55 PM
The match preview on nrl.com https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/20/gold-coast-titans-v-st-george-illawarra-dragons-round-3-preview/ mentions King being unavailable because of illness.

Thanks Numbers. Good seeing you again mate.

Mr Bods
20-03-18, 04:55 PM
^^^ that’s pretty concerning given he has a Heart Condition.

DIEHARD
21-03-18, 01:40 AM
Taylor to suit up for Titans in Toowoomba
https://www.nrl.com/

Gold Coast’s master playmaker Ash Taylor has vowed there is no way he will miss his homecoming match against the St George Illawarra Dragons at Toowoomba’s Clive Berghofer Stadium on Sunday.

However, if he did, a 19-year-old destined to play NRL before the end of the season could be in the reckoning to make a country-based debut.

The Titans competed admirably without Taylor’s class and end-of-set finesse in going down 20-8 to the Warriors last Saturday but coach Garth Brennan admitted it may have been a bit too much to ask Bryce Cartwright to fill the No. 6 role with little familiarity with his new teammates.

The coach took teenager Alexander (AJ) Brimson to Auckland with the 19-man squad but admitted it wasn’t the right time, place or opposition to blood the classy youngster.

Brimson was again named in the Titans’ 21-man preliminary squad today and although he’d give nothing away to unnecessarily pressure the kid, Brennan may be more likely to throw Brimson into the action this time – just as Kane Elgey was in round 4 in 2015 when injury forced Neil Henry’s hand.

“I was never going to rush AJ in against the Warriors,” said Brennan.

“A trip over to NZ in front of a big physical Warriors pack on a bit of a high … that wouldn’t have been fair to the kid.

“When he debuts, it will be the right decision. When that is I don’t know but we will keep working away with him and getting him ready and hopefully the time will come to give him a crack and it will be the right time.”

That time may remain supposition if Taylor’s determination is a gauge. Brennan says it was just a “hot spot” on a scan that determined Taylor missed the trip to Auckland and not a tear, and Taylor will do everything he can to get on the paddock.

“Ash is very keen to go back home and get out there in front of family and friends. I sent him a text after the match and spoke to him about how he was feeling and whether he’d be right for this weekend or whether I’d rest him and the response I got I can’t repeat. He is doing everything he can to get on the paddock.

“The injury happened in the first half against Canberra and he finished the game and was doing all he could still and probably could have played on the weekend but it wasn’t worth risking him, especially with the travel on a plane to New Zealand. Hopefully he will get through this weekend.”

With Taylor back, and Queensland prop Jarrod Wallace having his first hit out of the year due to suspension, the Titans will have a whole lot more to throw at the in-form Dragons than they did at the Warriors.

And while the hype will be around Taylor, who moved from St George to Toowoomba as a 10-year-old, just as exciting is the prospect of Wallace combining with former Broncos teammate and good mate Jai Arrow.

With Wallace out and NRL novices in Morgan Boyle, Max King and Keegan Hipgrave coming off the bench in the first two rounds, the performance of Arrow – who had started just four times in the previous two seasons with the Broncos – has been outstanding.

“I wish I had 16 more Jai Arrows; isn’t he a super talent,” enthused Brennan.

“In the first two weeks he has been enormous. For a young guy with as limited NRL experience as Jai has.

“They are very close, they have come through Brisbane together, I think they will feed off each other and I think Jai will hopefully grow another leg with Jarrod in the team and that can only benefit the team for Jai Arrow to go to another level, because he has been enormous.”

Brennan has chosen Wallace to the bench although he hinted that might change. Yet he admitted he may have to slow Wallace’s eagerness and ensure he feels his way into the season.

“He hasn’t trialled and a little underdone so taking him out of those early exchanges might get a few more minutes out of him,” Brennan said.

“That’s what I’m thinking at the moment but things could change as the week goes on.

“We’re a young inexperienced side and to have a State of Origin player come back into your team will only boost us; we can’t afford to have Origin quality players on the sideline, we need to have them on the park.

“He’s very determined. I got a text message form him after the game as well I can’t repeat – they [Taylor and Wallace] are both firing to go.”

DIEHARD
21-03-18, 02:33 PM
Taylor & Wallace raring to go
https://www.titans.com.au/

Once the dust had settled after the round two match against the Warriors last weekend, Coach Garth Brennan looked at his phone and in amongst the stack of text messages were two he was eager to read.

Halfback Ash Taylor (hamstring) and prop forward Jarrod Wallace (suspension) had text the coach immediately after the match telling him that they were ready to go and couldn’t wait for the round three match to kick-off.

Both players have differing motivations with Taylor keen to play in front of the Toowoomba faithful whilst Wallace is itching to get out there for his first match of season 2018.

“He’s (Taylor) got a bit of training to do between now and Sunday but we’ll see how he progresses,” Brennan said. “Fingers crossed he’ll be right to go.

“Yeah, he is (keen to play), going back home. He’s keen to play in front of family and friends. I had a text from him after the game and he said he’ll be right for this weekend.

Wallace has been itching to go since Christmas and after a tough training regime, the Origin representative is ready to go.

“I want to ease him into the game, he hasn’t trialled and might be a little underdone,” BrennaN said in relation to his selection on the interchange bench.

“He’s in great shape, he struggled early but he’s ripped, he’s trained really hard and he had his shirt off last week showing it off, which I found a bit disturbing but we’re excited to have him back.

“To have an Origin player come back into the side is important for us and we can’t have players of that calibre on the sidelines.

“I got a text message off him as well so they’re both raring to go.”

DIEHARD
21-03-18, 02:57 PM
Gold Coast Titans must lift to rattle St George Illawarra Dragons in Toowoomba
https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au

REIGNING Titans player of the year Anthony Don says Gold Coast must find next gear for when they play in front of their “second home” crowd.

The Titans were handed a convincing 20-8 defeat by the Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium on Saturday, extending the latter’s head-to-head record to 14 wins in the past 15 clashes between the sides.

Gold Coast’s focus now moves to the first of two home games they will play in regional Queensland.

On Sunday next week, they will host red hot St George Illawarra at Clive Berghofer Stadium in Toowoomba.

“We’ve got a lot of work to do before next week,” Don said.

“They (the Dragons) have come out and started this comp really well.

“We’re looking forward to getting up to Toowoomba, our second home, and seeing all of our fans up there.

“We are going to put on a good show against the Dragons and hopefully we get a win.”

Don said effort had been present in abundance in Auckland but other areas had let them down.

“A few of the final touches and a few of the tackles on the try lines probably wasn’t good enough,” he said.

“We tried our guts out but probably a little bit of class in the second half let us down.”

Things did not go the Titans’ way either, with star half Ash Taylor (hamstring) ruled out pre-game and then three tries being denied by the bunker.

Taylor is expected to join prop Jarrod Wallace - whose suspension has now been served – on the returning list in Toowoomba.

Mr Bods
21-03-18, 03:25 PM
^^^ this article was written by a muppet. We weren’t convincingly beaten by NZ, we were dead unlucky and it could easily have been much different.

DIEHARD
21-03-18, 03:30 PM
^^^ this article was written by a muppet. We weren’t convincingly beaten by NZ, we were dead unlucky and it could easily have been much different.

True!

DIEHARD
21-03-18, 03:30 PM
Titans v Dragons: Taylor back, Dragons double up

The NRL heads to Toowoomba with Gold Coast hosting a game away from Cbus Super Stadium. Paul McGregor's Dragons, excellent starters in recent years, are looking formidable again. The Red V are striving for three straight wins, and will fancy themselves despite being on the road.

The selections: Halfback Ash Taylor returns for the Titans after overcoming a hamstring niggle, with Bryce Cartwright back to lock. Prop Jarrod Wallace is a welcome inclusion after serving a two-game suspension. For St George Illawarra, expect to see Jeremy Latimore take his place on the interchange bench in jersey number 18, with Hame Sele the likely swap.

The key match-up: Ben Hunt v Ash Taylor. Dragons playmaker Hunt has already begun to justify his large pay packet, combining astutely with Gareth Widdop. Taylor is destined to be one of the competition's leading lights over the next few years, and he was sorely missed in last weekend's defeat versus the Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium.

For the Titans to win: They need to try and negate the brilliance of the Dragons halves as well as the go-forward of props Paul Vaughan and James Graham. The Broncos and Sharks failed to do so, and despite what promises to be a vocal crowd the Dragons will be brimming with confidence.

For the Dragons to win: Avoid flashy plays, stick to their systems. The Dragons are well drilled under McGregor, but at times can overplay their hand. Hunt brings experience and composure to a team who has been crying out for a top level halfback since Mathew Head moved on.

Titans Stat Attack: Missed tackles. It is alarming to say the least. 91 from two games. Their support play when in possession of the ball is encouraging – it is the best in the competition (475).

Dragons Stat Attack: With 54 points to their name, they have been entertaining. Only the Sea Eagles (72) and Raiders (56) have troubled the scorers more.

And another thing: Dragons Nene McDonald was on the books of the Titans in 2015 and 2016 before shifting clubs last year. The Papua New Guinea international is a natural finisher and no doubt will be keen to haunt his old club with a couple of four pointers.

Prediction: Dragons by 10

Titans: 1 Michael Gordon, 2 Anthony Don, 3 Dale Copley, 4 Konrad Hurrell, 5 Phillip Sami, 6 Kane Elgey, 7 Ashley Taylor, 8 Jai Arrow, 9 Nathan Peats, 10 Leilani Latu, 11 Kevin Proctor, 12 Ryan James (c), 13 Bryce Cartwright

Interchange: 14 Mitch Rein, 15 Will Matthews, 16 Morgan Boyle, 17 Jarrod Wallace

Reserves: 18 Keegan Hipgrave, 19 Joe Greenwood, 20 AJ Brimson, 21 Tyronne Roberts-Davis

Titans halfback Ash Taylor returns from a hamstring niggle, pushing Bryce Cartwright back to lock and Will Matthews to the bench. Prop Jarrod Wallace returns from a two-game suspension picked up in round 26 last season via the bench. Keegan Hipgrave drops to the reserves with Max King (illness) out of the 21.

Dragons: 1 Matthew Dufty, 2 Nene Macdonald, 3 Euan Aitken, 4 Tim Lafai, 5 Jason Nightingale, 6 Gareth Widdop (c), 7 Ben Hunt, 8 James Graham, 9 Cameron McInnes, 10 Paul Vaughan, 11 Tyson Frizell, 12 Tariq Sims, 13 Jack De Belin

Interchange: 14 Luciano Leilua, 15 Kurt Mann, 16 Leeson Ah Mau, 18 Hame Sele

Reserves: 18 Jeremy Latimore, 19 Zachary Lomax, 20 Reece Robson, 21 Blake Lawrie

The Dragons have named the same team as last week, with Jeremy Latimore in jersey 18 again likely to come onto the bench on game day.

Gold Coast Titans v St George Illawarra Dragons, Sunday 3.10pm AEST (4.10pm AEDT) at Clive Berghofer Stadium

Head-to-head: 19 games, Dragons 12 wins, Titans 7 wins

Points per game: Titans 19; Dragons 27

Points conceded per game: Titans 24; Dragons 14

Televised: Live on Nine, Fox League

JunctionBlock
21-03-18, 05:23 PM
I've got a feeling we could see an upset. Just got one of those "underestimated" feelings. Hope I'm right.

Upthetits
21-03-18, 07:48 PM
So do I mate

ja4220
21-03-18, 08:18 PM

Have to agree, we created enough opportunities. It was just a little bit of finishing that bought us undone. Not expecting miracles but I think we will be a lot more competitive than we are given credit for.

Titanic Believer
21-03-18, 10:00 PM
We aren't going to win many games as long as we keep missing 40 tackles a game.

Upthetits
21-03-18, 10:43 PM
Really need more focus on wrapping up the ball and also hitting and sticking.

5 Year Contract
22-03-18, 02:02 PM
We aren't going to win many games as long as we keep missing 40 tackles a game.

Has been a huge issue especially around the middle of the ruck. When we moved on Paasi, Pulu etc last season I was sure that our middle of the ruck defence would be sealed up but it has been ordinary to say the least. We seem to continually miss a tackle up the middle which leads to a break and poor old Gordon busting his ass to cover. Peats and Latu have been especially bad

Titanic
22-03-18, 03:27 PM
Nailed it ... Peats and Latu

Upthetits
22-03-18, 07:04 PM
Really feel Latu should be moved to the bench for Wallace

JunctionBlock
22-03-18, 07:30 PM
Really feel Latu should be moved to the bench for Wallace

Only thing I'm hoping is that Wallace needs to find his match fitness and this will be rectified in the next couple of rounds.

DIEHARD
22-03-18, 08:10 PM
Hurrell determined to build on century
http://www.goldcoast.com.au

ON Sunday, Konrad Hurrell will bring up his century and he has already set himself the goal of playing another 100 games all for the Gold Coast in promising signs for Titans fans.

Hurrell has been a revelation on the Coast since cutting short an often troubled tenure at the Warriors to move midway in 2016.

In just 28 appearances for the Titans, the exciting centre’s impact has been enormous on and off the field.

He put his transformation down to the way the club has backed him.

“It just feels good when someone has faith in you,” Hurrell told the Bulletin. “(My career) has been a rollercoaster but I’m glad I made it here.”

It’s taken more than six years for Hurrell to crack the ton but he feels there are many more barnstorming performances to come – and he doesn’t want to pull on any NRL jersey other than that of the Gold Coast. “I feel like I’m home now and hopefully I will stay here for a bit longer,” he said.

“The boys help to make you feel welcome at the Titans and the coaching staff, they have been looking after us very well. Why would you want to move away from where you are being looked after?

“From what I have been going through here at the Titans, I reckon I can probably get another 100 (games) just by how the coaches and the staff and all the trainers are here looking after me and for myself knowing what I need to work on.”

Titans coach Garth Brennan last week hailed Hurrell as one of his favourite NRL players in a show of just how highly he is regarded.

“Obviously he is the coach and he is the big dog so for him to say that I’m one of his favourite players, it feels good,” the Tongan international said.

“There is a lot of pressure in that but it makes me keep working hard so I can stay in his favourite books.”

Hurrell will mark up on St George Illawarra centre Tim Lafai in Toowoomba on Sunday as the Titans strive to bounce back from their 20-8 Round 2 away loss to the Warriors.

DIEHARD
22-03-18, 08:32 PM
Ash Taylor declares himself a certain starter against Dragons at Clive Berghofer Stadium
http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

ASH Taylor has declared he will play in the Titans’ trip to Toowoomba no matter what in a sign of his commitment to putting on a show for his home region.

The 23-year-old was shattered to miss Gold Coast’s away loss to the Warriors last weekend due to a hamstring niggle but put his availability beyond doubt for their Round 3 showdown against unbeaten St George Illawarra.

“It feels good,” Taylor said of his hamstring.

“Obviously it pulled up a bit sore against the Raiders the first game but full confidence now and I am back training with the boys.

“It was a massive call for the coach to pull me out of the game – I was pretty disappointed actually that I didn’t even get a chance to play.

“It’s 100 per cent this week and I’m going to make sure I’m not on the sidelines.”

Taylor, in fact, said he was never going to miss the opportunity to play at Clive Berghofer Stadium – the venue for several of his junior footy grand finals – having missed a pre-season NRL trial there against Brisbane last month.

“No matter how bad the hammy is or anything else, I am playing it,” he said.

“It’s very special to play in front of my family and friends back in Toowoomba. It’s going to be very exciting.

Having won first-up against Canberra, the Titans were unable to cover the loss of their star half in a 20-8 defeat to the Warriors.

The result immediately sparked talk of whether the club will struggle any time Taylor is out, much like the Cowboys did for so long whenever Johnathan Thurston was sidelined.

Taylor shot down that theory.

“Just because I am not in there doesn’t mean they can’t do a good job,” he said.

The Titans-Dragons contest will begin at 3:10pm on Sunday.

DIEHARD
22-03-18, 08:32 PM
Taylor ready for reunion with Hunt

Increased future opportunities was behind Gold Coast Titans halfback Ash Taylor's decision to depart the Brisbane Broncos in 2015.

The player ahead of him at the time? A talented playmaker by the name of Ben Hunt.

Fast forward three years and the pair now find themselves at different clubs chasing the same dream, starting with their round three clash at Toowoomba's Clive Berghofer Stadium on Sunday.

"I grew up under him [Hunt]," Taylor recalled on Thursday.

"I was in the 20's system when he was in first grade and was looking up to him. I know what he can do on the field, he can do some freakish stuff and is always competing so we're going to have our hands full."

Ironically, the Broncos did their best to lure Taylor back to the club in 2017 after confirmation Hunt was headed to the St George Illawarra Dragons, but the Indigenous All Stars representative remained loyal to the Titans, signing a long-term extension.

Shutting down the early season form of St George Illawarra halves Hunt and Gareth Widdop looms as critical for the Titans. The pair have guided the Dragons to the top of the table after two rounds.

"You've just got to take your opportunities," Taylor said.

"Obviously, the teams in the first few rounds didn't put too much pressure on them. We're going to attack them all across the park, I think that's the biggest thing.

"They have some big busting forwards up front that we need to bring back down to earth and make sure our big boys are on the mark."

The clash on Sunday marks a special occasion for 23-year-old Taylor, who returns to his hometown to play at a ground he once called his spiritual home.

"I'm sure the community is excited about the day and everyone is looking forward to the day," he said.

"I played a few games at Clive Berghofer, that was where all our grand finals were played."

Taylor said he was a certain starter for the clash after missing last week's 20-8 loss to the Warriors and even declared he would take to the field injured if it ensured he would take part.

"It was just a precaution thing last week, a massive call for the coach to pull me out of the game," he said.

"It's 100 per cent this week and I'm going to make sure I'm not on the sidelines. No matter how bad the hammy is or anything else, I'm playing it."

The return of Taylor is another boost for the Titans outfit who also welcome back Queensland prop Jarrod Wallace for his first game of the season after serving a suspension for a shoulder charge in round 26 last year.

Wallace faces a tough challenge up front to start his season with James Graham and Paul Vaughan in strong form early.

"The last few weeks I've been anxious and nervous … not a good feeling," Wallace said.

"It's a good test for me, even with Paul Vaughan there as well. I love playing against guys like that because it brings the best out in me."

JunctionBlock
23-03-18, 12:45 PM
From Wackos whispers

Titans vs Dragons

Titans set to welcome Ash Taylor from hamstring injury after he failed to play last week in New Zealand. Only possible change to 17 could be Will Matthews who is in some doubt after picking up cork last weekend with Keegan Hipgrave on standby should he be ruled out. Dragons will have same change as previous weeks with Jeremy Latimore coming onto bench for Hame Sele in only change to 17 named on Tuesday.

Upthetits
23-03-18, 03:36 PM
Yeah boys love me some hipgrave

shamus
23-03-18, 06:10 PM
Wallace to give away the most penalties...fatigue factor.

DIEHARD
24-03-18, 03:01 PM
TITANS FLYERS ADD ELEMENT OF SPICE TO DERBY

http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/24.1.jpg
Young guns Kiah Cooper and Tyronne Roberts-Davis will face off today. Picture: GOLD COAST TITANS

TWO of the Gold Coast’s brightest emerging flyers will go head-to-head today in a thrilling spectacle for fans at Piggabeen Sports Complex.

Among the highlights of the Coast’s Intrust Super Cup derby between Tweed Heads and Burleigh from 1.10pm will be the battle between 20-year-olds Kiah Cooper and Tyronne Roberts-Davis.

Cooper, the cousin of Ash Taylor who joined the Titans this season on a development contract, will line up on the right wing for Tweed, directly opposite Roberts-Davis on Burleigh’s left flank.

The latter is the cousin of Taylor’s ex-halves partner Tyrone Roberts and is looking to add to the six NRL games he has played to date.

Cooper is excited for the match-up, having known his teammate-turned-rival for five years now.

“We went on a France tour together. It will be funny versing him,” Cooper said.

“His footwork is good and he’s got a lot of speed – especially on me, he’s way faster than me.”

Burleigh coach Jimmy Lenihan was pleased with Roberts-Davis’ Bears debut last weekend against Redcliffe but noted Cooper will take some stopping.

“He is probably a bigger, heavier body and has got a heavier carry,” Lenihan said of Cooper.

“He really gets Tweed off to a really good start with carrying the ball forward for them.”

While the Bears have lost Ben Hannant to a hamstring injury, they have been boosted by the addition of Titans second-rower Joe Greenwood.

DIEHARD
24-03-18, 03:02 PM
Wallace reserves offer rejection

JARROD Wallace was prepared to take the ultimate drop from State of Origin to reserve grade this weekend.

The hardworking prop told Gold Coast coach Garth Brennan he would do the team thing if need be, having missed the opening two rounds of the NRL season due to a suspension hanging over from last year.

“I said to him the other day, obviously the boys are playing well, I was happy to come back through Tweed or Burleigh,” Wallace said.

“Whatever I had to do for the team but I’m just thankful he has chucked me on the bench and now I’m just excited.”

Wallace’s naming on the interchange puts him in unfamiliar territory – Sunday against the Dragons is set to be the first time in 555 days that he has played from the bench, including two State of Origin starting appearances in that time. The 26-year-old though said it will not change his role and is stoked to be finally pulling the boots back on.

“The last few weeks I have been sitting there anxious and nervous,” he said. “Sitting there and watching the boys play, it’s not a real good feeling but they did really well.”

DIEHARD
24-03-18, 03:02 PM
Free to make it Rein

MITCH Rein says he has been given a licence to unleash the dynamic running game that had him on the cusp of a State of Origin jersey a few years back.

The hooker’s six-year, 132-game career at St George Illawarra came to a sour end in 2016 as contract extension negotiations broke down, with Rein eventually switching to Penrith.

He wasted little time in firing a shot at the Dragons, claiming soon after that his former club’s restrictive playing style had hurt his development.

“I know what I’m capable of and playing (at the Dragons), with all the limitations of what you’re allowed to do and what you’re not, that’s one thing I’ve noticed coming here (Penrith) – it’s a lot more positive,” he said at the time.

Rein’s Panthers deal didn’t go to plan either. He spent the majority of 2017 in reserve grade before linking up with coach Garth Brennan at the Gold Coast for this season.

The 27-year-old has already impressed in his first two games in Titans colours and revealed Brennan had given him more freedom to showcase his running game.

“Yeah, I guess so,” he said.

“When I have been coming on, there has been a few more opportunities, a few tired guys, so I’m just playing what’s in front of me.”

Rein admits he still reflects on the end of his time at the Dragons but will get a chance to set the record straight tomorrow when he lines up against the Red V for the first time in his NRL career.

“I spent a fair bit of time down there but that was a few years ago now so it is going to be awesome to come up against a few old mates,” he said.

Meanwhile, Ryan James expects the return of Queensland Origin prop Jarrod Wallace will allow him to run amok on the edge against the Dragons.

The Gold Coast captain is happy to have Wallace back from a three-game suspension as the NRL side looks for ways to plug their own defence.

“I get to go back out on the edge and get to stay there now,” James said.

“I will find my way into the middle at some stage but that was always the plan.”

DIEHARD
24-03-18, 03:04 PM
http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/24.2.jpg

DIEHARD
24-03-18, 04:00 PM
Wallace return frees up Titans' James
https://www.sbs.com.au

Gold Coast captain Ryan James expects to benefit personally from the return of prop Jarrod Wallace from suspension to play St George Illawarra in the NRL.

Ryan James expects the return of Queensland Origin prop Jarrod Wallace will allow him to run amok on the edge against St George Illawarra.

The Gold Coast captain is happy to have Wallace back from a three-game suspension as the NRL side looks for ways to plug their own centre-field defence and stop the unbeaten Dragons on Sunday.

James played in the front row last season and, while he will still do stints in the middle this season, is likely to see more time in the second row with Wallace's return.

"I get to go back out on the edge and get to stay there now," James said.

"I will find my way into the middle at some stage but that was always the plan."

The Titans leaked an equal NRL-high 91 missed tackles across the first two games of the season, with Wallace's size and pedigree set to benefit a squad that's light on representative experience.

"It's (defence) been a focus since November to be honest," Brennan said.

"With Jarrod back in we're getting close to where we need to be ... bringing an Origin quality player into our squad ... it's massive."

The Dragons started the round on top of the table and, with Brisbane recruit Ben Hunt pulling the strings, will provide the new-look Titans an opportunity to see where they're at.

"They're red-hot. Broncos and Cronulla are the two scalps they've had, quality teams and did a quality job on both those teams."

Wallace will push Keegan Hipgrave out of the 17, while Ashley Taylor is fit to play after missing last week's game with hamstring soreness.

DIEHARD
24-03-18, 04:03 PM
Titans star Ash Taylor reveals his best Toowoomba insights
https://www.thechronicle.com.au

GOLD Coast Titans star Ash Taylor has revealed his "must do" things in Toowoomba ahead of Sunday's historic NRL clash in the city.

The Toowoomba product says Tabletop Mountain is the ultimate thing to cross off the Garden City bucket list, while dining out at Club Glenvale is his choice restaurant.

In a video posted by the Gold Coast Titans, Taylor goes from half-back to tourism promoter with the one-minute clip, tackling the big question first: the 'must do' in Toowoomba.

"Tabletop Mountain if you're really into outdoor adventures," he says.

"That's really a nice one to do. It's (a) good view."

Staying true to his sporting prowess, Taylor bills Club Glenvale on Boundary Rd as his favourite restaurant.

"My favourite is probably the Glenvale hockey club," he says.

"It's a pretty big pub and it's a pretty good set-up.

"If you're lucky you'll get to watch a hockey game and have a few quiet beers but other than that it's a good feed and I just love going there with my mates."

While State of Origin, and especially game three last year, is his favourite live event in Queensland, Taylor's dream holiday destination is with family and friends in the outback.

"Obviously going back home to St George," he says.

"It's in the country and I just love visiting family and just going back to connect to nature and see family and friends at the same time."

Taylor will line up for the Titans at Clive Berghofer Stadium on Sunday for the historic clash against St George Illawarra Dragons.

Mr Bods
25-03-18, 02:18 PM
Anyone in The Forum gone to the game on The Members Trip?
How was the trip there if so and what’s the Titan to St Merge supporter ratio inside the Ground?

Mexican titan
25-03-18, 02:36 PM
AS hoped by many, Wallace is starting and Latu to the bench. Hipgrave in the 17.

Mr Bods
25-03-18, 02:42 PM
AS hoped by many, Wallace is starting and Latu to the bench. Hipgrave in the 17.

Love the 17-just would of liked Cartwright beginning on the bench and Hipgrave starting. Only a minor detail though.

Mexican titan
25-03-18, 03:09 PM
I'm glad Gasnier is in the studio and not at the ground. Christ is there a dumber and more annoying commentator than this mong.
And then Blocker Roach spoke.

Titanic
25-03-18, 03:11 PM
Anasta would be one ... in fact I dislike most of them.

Mr Bods
25-03-18, 03:14 PM
Once again we are world champions at the horror start

RavShamrock
25-03-18, 03:14 PM
No doubts we will win this. (Cameron McInnes at hooker, give me a break!)
Dragons line up like a bottom 8 side so time to launch our true potential/ability.

gotitans101_
25-03-18, 03:17 PM
Elgey is trash. Drop ball, bad read, then gives away a penalty, all in the space of 5 minutes.

lonegull
25-03-18, 03:24 PM
Blocker roach commentating and Henry perenara refereeing bloody hell

rj62
25-03-18, 03:25 PM
LG is seriously starting make me wonder if he’s up to standard

GCTTSD
25-03-18, 03:30 PM
Sami is standing at half catching the kickoffs, to me that shows how low on confidence Kane is

lonegull
25-03-18, 03:33 PM
LG is seriously starting make me wonder if he’s up to standard

I am thinking the same

rj62
25-03-18, 03:37 PM
Koni run the f*****n thing

lonegull
25-03-18, 03:38 PM
Elgey confidence is shot grasping at air got beaten three times in one play and gives away a penalty, its time AJ

rj62
25-03-18, 03:40 PM
Elgey confidence is shot grasping at air got beaten three times in one play and gives away a penalty, its time AJ

Yep

lonegull
25-03-18, 03:42 PM
No urgency in defence this could get ugly we look spent already

- - - Updated - - -

I just wish Koni would have a look at other centre and how they defend he just seems to take the wrong option all the time

rj62
25-03-18, 03:42 PM
Paper thin defence out wide

Nols of the Goldy
25-03-18, 03:43 PM
Right about now makes we wonder how would we be this year if Tyrone Roberts was still partnering Ash.

rj62
25-03-18, 03:44 PM
No urgency in defence this could get ugly we look spent already

- - - Updated - - -

I just wish Koni would have a look at other centre and how they defend he just seems to take the wrong option all the time

I’m not convinced Koni actually wants to tackle

gotitans101_
25-03-18, 03:45 PM
Latu is useless. Looks slow, always shirt grabbing.

Randomologist
25-03-18, 03:45 PM
Latu should have ended that straight away

mdrew
25-03-18, 03:46 PM
St George are not beating us, we are beating ourselves

lonegull
25-03-18, 03:46 PM
Lol at our defence absolutely woeful when a team gets second phase you just have to laugh and think how terrible our defensive structures are

- - - Updated - - -

St George are not beating us, we are beating ourselves

You can say that again we are making them look top notch

gotitans101_
25-03-18, 03:48 PM
It's gonna be a long season.

rj62
25-03-18, 03:49 PM
Wtf .....,

5 Year Contract
25-03-18, 03:49 PM
Game 3 of the season and im just getting tired of it. Same old weak middle. Same old players waiting for the attacking player to come to them. Same old silly mistakes and not taking advantage. What will it ever take to change this team

JunctionBlock
25-03-18, 03:50 PM
I'm done with Koni and Latu already. Neither of them are NRL standard.

lonegull
25-03-18, 03:52 PM
Game 3 of the season and im just getting tired of it. Same old weak middle. Same old players waiting for the attacking player to come to them. Same old silly mistakes and not taking advantage. What will it ever take to change this team
Yep couldn’t agree anymore

rj62
25-03-18, 03:52 PM
Just dodged a bullet - they had 300 guys lined up out the back

Mexican titan
25-03-18, 03:54 PM
Latu is a waste of space. He makes Elgey look like a top defender. And i hate to say this but koni is useless as a centre these days. He is slow as and the opposition know it.

- - - Updated - - -

New coach, plenty of changes off the field but on field it's the same old crap.

JunctionBlock
25-03-18, 03:59 PM
Koni better not try and call Sims out. If he has to tackle he'll just embarrass himself.

Getting fired up over foul play isn't make up for the absolute trash he is showing on the field. Brennan got some coaching decisions to make from here in, problem is, everyone else is a defensive liability too.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess Sims get the last laugh, we lose Taylor and he stays on.

rj62
25-03-18, 04:00 PM
Cheap shot and we lose our half. bull****

gotitans101_
25-03-18, 04:01 PM
Why is Latu so slow and fat? I don't remember him being this bad at Penrith. Looks like we signed a dud.

lonegull
25-03-18, 04:02 PM
Diabolical can sum that half up, why is Hipgrave left on bench until 2 minutes to go in first half, not sure on Brennan’s thinking but he offers so much just in enthusiasm alone

5 Year Contract
25-03-18, 04:06 PM
pathetic half of football. When we did look good we could never finish. Pushed passes, missed opportunities. Our defence is just bad. Gaps in the middle and our centres and wingers just plant their feet and hope for the best. Watch Widdop fly up out of the line and hit wallace and then look at Elgey. Couldnt even salvage a try at the end to get us in with a slight chance. Will take a Dragons implosion to win this right now and even worse I think we are going to get towelled in the 2nd half if Taylor isnt back

- - - Updated - - -

If this continues this will be where Brennan proves his mettle as some of our established players need to go back to QCup for fitness and to learn how to tackle.

lonegull
25-03-18, 04:08 PM
See how it pans out in second half but I hope Brennan starts asking questions of the commitment of some players

JunctionBlock
25-03-18, 04:10 PM
- - - Updated - - -

If this continues this will be where Brennan proves his mettle as some of our established players need to go back to QCup for fitness and to learn how to tackle.

Thinking the same thing. Time to be a coach that won't stand for this standard. Your spot is there for you to lose. Plenty of people have shown they don't deserve a spot today.

lonegull
Wonder how many missed tackles are recorded in first half it would be a record

GCTTSD
Surely AJ gets a run next week, anyone know how he went this week?

Mexican titan
I was a bit concerned about all these signings from Penrith and was hoping that it wasn't a case of jobs for the boys. It appears Latu might fit that category.

lonegull
25-03-18, 04:13 PM
Thinking the same thing. Time to be a coach that won't stand for this standard. Your spot is there for you to lose. Plenty of people have shown they don't deserve a spot today.

Exactly he going to have to make a call shortly with a few players, going to be interesting if we get flogged and the press conference to see what Brennan’s metal is or will he play the lovey dovey card and not upset the players

rj62

Titans 25

Dragons 12

JunctionBlock

Fox stats are saying 15

Mr Bods
25-03-18, 04:17 PM
Amazing comeback coming up in the second half I’m sure

JunctionBlock
25-03-18, 04:23 PM

I'll take what hes taking

lonegull
25-03-18, 04:24 PM

Your watching a different team bodsy, can’t score against a 12 men side and dragons look like scoring lol

gotitans101_
25-03-18, 04:24 PM
We aren't playing the Raiders.

Mr Bods
25-03-18, 04:25 PM
^^ yeah it was tongue in cheek
This is pure rubbish
Reality check of the highest order

lonegull
25-03-18, 04:26 PM
Ultimate insult dragons scoring points with a man in the bin

rj62
25-03-18, 04:27 PM
From bad to worse

GCTTSD
How the f**K are we getting iutnumbered in defence when they have a man in the bin??

Mr Bods
What the hell was that by Taylor
My god a trip
We have the Drongoes next week

lonegull
How can the dragons still create a man over lap with only 12 men just goes to show how woeful our right edge is

JunctionBlock
25-03-18, 04:28 PM
What the hell was that by Taylor
My god a trip
We have the Drongoes next week

Can't win give the sponsors a plug. Trip a deal

5 Year Contract
25-03-18, 04:29 PM
That'll do it. Deja Vu by round 3. Loooooong year methinks

rj62
25-03-18, 04:29 PM
Our back line defence is simply pathetic

Koni is scared of getting hurt

lonegull
25-03-18, 04:30 PM
Every single player back pedalling on their heels not sure who the defence coach is but that’s under 8 stuff waiting for the opposition

- - - Updated - - -

Is Hipgrave playing what is Brennan doing

gotitans101_
25-03-18, 04:31 PM
How can the dragons still create a man over lap with only 12 men just goes to show how woeful our right edge is

lmao it's such a joke.

lonegull
25-03-18, 04:31 PM
Sami once again having a dig, maybe a better option at centre at present

Titan68
25-03-18, 04:32 PM
People can’t blame Elgey , for all this today
The team is playing “ **** “.
Kicking out on full from restarts
Tripping , C ‘MON

rj62
25-03-18, 04:33 PM
Elgey has to be dropped

BundyTitan
25-03-18, 04:33 PM
Latu absolutely lazy and slow, mustn't have done any fitness in pre season. And we all wanna see Elgey do well but as the games go on it is getting harder and harder to justify his selection. A week to forget.

lonegull
25-03-18, 04:36 PM
Have a look at Elgey Titan 68 tell me one thing he has done today to warrant keeping his place albeit there are other players as well but Elgey today has been disgraceful watch the replay and tell me how many times he is left grasping thin air

- - - Updated - - -

Another case of defenders flat footed and retreating

JunctionBlock
25-03-18, 04:36 PM
21 mins of this ****e to go.

BundyTitan
25-03-18, 04:37 PM
I know Dragons are likely a top 4 side but honestly we are getting demolished through the middle and ran around on the edges, can we get a decent defensive line for one year please.

rj62
25-03-18, 04:38 PM
38 missed tackles so far

gotitans101_
25-03-18, 04:39 PM
Sami one of the only shining lights in this team today.

BundyTitan
25-03-18, 04:39 PM
Also is Cartwright playing? Done absolutely nothing three weeks in a row.

JunctionBlock
25-03-18, 04:40 PM
Bryce is a marshmallow.

gotitans101_
25-03-18, 04:40 PM
Also is Cartwright playing? Done absolutely nothing three weeks in a row.

another dud.

lonegull
25-03-18, 04:41 PM
Koni smashed only his second run of the game

JunctionBlock
25-03-18, 04:42 PM
Sims 2 Koni 0

BundyTitan
25-03-18, 04:42 PM
Wish we had a player with some fire in the belly like a James Graham or a Sam Burgess who when they get smashed get back up and smash the bloke back twice as hard. Our pack may look good on paper but we have no hard runners who would worry a defensive line.

lonegull
25-03-18, 04:44 PM
Going to be a hard sell trying to get new fans to Cbus by the time the titans get back their best of luck with attracting fans with this crap

gotitans101_
25-03-18, 04:45 PM
And to think I thought we actually had a chance against the Broncos next week.

lonegull
25-03-18, 04:47 PM
Wonder what the Burleigh bears are doing next Sunday night

- - - Updated - - -

Sims 2 Koni 0

Make that 3-0

JunctionBlock
25-03-18, 04:47 PM
And to think I thought we actually had a chance against the Broncos next week.

At least we'll play the Donkeys back into form.

Sims 3 Koni should just go home

Detwelve12
25-03-18, 04:48 PM
Have i mentioned how much i hate Phil Gould. I have never been more confident of a person suffering from delusions of grandeur.

Titan68
25-03-18, 04:49 PM
Lonegull , if ya going on todays game , Elgey isn’t the only player who should have a look at themselves.
There’s 16 other players who need to have a good long look at themselves also.

Mr Bods
25-03-18, 04:50 PM
Oh well so much for Super Coach Brennan. Another trying season ahead. So embarrassing.

JunctionBlock
Have i mentioned how much i hate Phil Gould. I have never been more confident of a person suffering from delusions of grandeur.

I've made a pact with myself that if I ever see him in the street I'm going to punch him in the face.

rj62
Time for some decisions Garth

AJ must be give a run - Elgey out for a while

lonegull
25-03-18, 04:51 PM
Lonegull , if ya going on todays game , Elgey isn’t the only player who should have a look at themselves.
Read my post again named Elgey but did say there were others

gotitans101_

The difference is Elgey has shown nothing since his return from injury last year. It isn't 2015 anymore.

Randomologist
Cartwrights got the speed of Ryan James with the work rate of Jarryd Hayne

Upthetits
This is depressing. I really thought we were in with a chance this week.

rj62
Oh well so much for Super Coach Brennan. Another trying season ahead. So embarrassing.

No one said super coach - breath of fresh air mainly . The air is just in a small bag this afternoon.

BundyTitan
25-03-18, 04:52 PM
Just like every other year, things just never seem like they get better. We say 'fresh start' and talk up our chances and every year this happens. Gotta ask yourself if we will ever be competitive or if we will continue to be the jokes of the NRL. You look at the Tigers who don't have a great roster by any means but they show effort and they put in for each other in defence and even the Knights are digging in. Honestly hate to say it but the other spoon contenders are all firing and well we look absolutely pathetic.

gotitans101_
25-03-18, 04:53 PM

I tried to tell people not to read too much into that win against Canberra. We are the same rubbish team we've been since 2011.

This club is in real strife if something doesn't change soon.

BundyTitan
25-03-18, 04:53 PM

No one is saying Elgey is the only one at fault. No one showed any sort of effort today. But questions have to be asked if 1. Elgey is the right one to partner Taylor, and 2. If Elgey is really the one to carry us to the top 4.

lonegull
25-03-18, 04:54 PM
The difference is Elgey has shown nothing since his return from injury last year. It isn't 2015 anymore.

Yep how long does he need it’s a big step from the NYC and Elgey is the classic example of a great player against his own age but when it comes to playing against men different story

Mexican titan
25-03-18, 04:54 PM
I can't think of too many worse efforts than this. Defence has just been a total joke both in the middle and wide. There's been plenty of blokes singled out with Latu, Elgey, Koni due special mentions for their pathetic efforts but our captain James has been missing after that great round 1 effort.
Lost for words about this disgrace really.

JunctionBlock
25-03-18, 04:55 PM
Don't believe the commentators. Fox sports has us at 32 missed tackles with 6 mins to go.

lonegull
25-03-18, 04:56 PM
Don't believe the commentators. Fox sports has us at 32 missed tackles with 6 mins to go.

I thought 32 is being good to the titans I thought it would be nearly double that

5 Year Contract
25-03-18, 04:57 PM
I dont pay membership every year to have my team turn up like they did today. Im not silly enough to ever think you are going to win every game but this consistent lack of effort makes me wonder what is going on. Is the GC just the big contract, beaches and sun lifestyle ploy for players? Look at what Brad Thorn has done with the QLD Reds every single player has to earn their place in the team week in week out regardless of how big your contract is (I know apples and oranges here but still). Our 17 today is not up to first grade standard in a number of areas. If you cant tackle or arent fit enough then **** off back to QCUP and decide if you want to be a first grade player. Brennan and the club as a whole need to start doing instead of just talking. I have faith in Brennan in a coach and all rebuilds take time but we are talking about the same issues we have had since carty

Mr Bods
25-03-18, 04:57 PM
No one said super coach - breath of fresh air mainly . The air is just in a small bag this afternoon.

I’ve heard lower grade players referring to him as that term
It’s been said
Don’t overanalyse-it’s just a reality check for everyone

rj62
25-03-18, 04:59 PM
45 missed tackles so far

- - - Updated - - -

Weak as piss defence

Hail Sezer
25-03-18, 04:59 PM
Yep how long does he need it’s a big step from the NYC and Elgey is the classic example of a great player against his own age but when it comes to playing against men different story

To be fair Kane was great when he first played against men in 2015. AJ is yet to show dominance at ISC level either so not sure what the solution is in the short term.

Hoping Brennan wields the axe but with the squad we’ve got, who do we even bring in?

For a long time we have blasted our left edge defence but after tonight it’s fairly obvious our right edge is just as shoddy. Long season ahead fellas buckle up

rj62
25-03-18, 05:01 PM
I’d like to see wholesale changes - left field question . Rein at 5/8?

lonegull
25-03-18, 05:02 PM
So much for Brennan’s commitment to the titans fans that every week they will compete and the team they are playing will know their in a game

The press conference will be interesting will see what Brennan is made of see if he is a powder puff coach or not

JunctionBlock
25-03-18, 05:03 PM
Makes me wish I had Widdop in my supercoach team. If there are no changes to next weeks team then I'll have no respect for the coach. Some of these players should have big enough stones to hand their jersey to the coach in the sheds right now. if the likes of Koni, LG, Latu and Bryce don't they're having a lend of all of us as fans of the Titans.

gotitans101_
25-03-18, 05:03 PM
I’ve heard lower grade players referring to him as that term
It’s been said
Don’t overanalyse-it’s just a reality check for everyone

Well said Bodsy. I was never truly sold on Brennan tbh, so what, the guy is a supercoach in the lower grades? He's unproven at NRL level. If you want to see a good coach who can turn a team's attitude around look no further than Ivan Cleary at the Tigers.

lonegull
25-03-18, 05:07 PM
To be fair Kane was great when he first played against men in 2015. AJ is yet to show dominance at ISC level either so not sure what the solution is in the short term.

Hoping Brennan wields the axe but with the squad we’ve got, who do we even bring in?

For a long time we have blasted our left edge defence but after tonight it’s fairly obvious our right edge is just as shoddy. Long season ahead fellas buckle up

That’s what worries me HS we haven’t got the depth

One question though is fogerty an option I know he hasn’t got a contract with the titans but gee what I have seen of Burleigh he is looking the goods

GCTTSD
25-03-18, 05:16 PM
Look at the tigers, everyone fighting for their spot, nofalouma dropped first round, everyone digging in for each other in defence, that's all I wanna see, is that too much to ask? Garth needs to make a statement this week that that's not good enough, drop elegy, Latu, and possibly Carty, copely, peats and maybe a few others

teke
25-03-18, 05:17 PM
Such a poorly coached side, the cohesion and desire in defence shows it.

This team is wooden spoon material atm

Titanic
25-03-18, 05:17 PM
I must admit to having a slightly different perspective fellas ... that was a really poor bitter effort for sure but with our roster and new set-up we were always going to finish near the bottom ... 13-16 was my pick and with that comes some horror performances and that was one ... my expectation is some serious sorting-out of the issues through selection ... now the hard work really starts but I wouldn’t be expecting too much too soon.

JunctionBlock
25-03-18, 05:20 PM
I must admit to having a slightly different perspective fellas ... that was a really poor bitter effort for sure but with our roster and new set-up we were always going to finish near the bottom ... 13-16 was my pick and with that comes some horror performances and that was one ... my expectation is some serious sorting-out of the issues through selection ... now the hard work really starts but I wouldn’t be expecting too much too soon.

I think we were all expecting some horrible performances however that doesn't soften the blow.

Mr Bods
25-03-18, 05:22 PM
I think we were all expecting some horrible performances however that doesn't soften the blow.

I seriously thought that those days of getting seriously annihilated, humiliated and embarrassed were over with the heralding of the new owners and coach

Hail Sezer
25-03-18, 05:25 PM
That’s what worries me HS we haven’t got the depth

One question though is fogerty an option I know he hasn’t got a contract with the titans but gee what I have seen of Burleigh he is looking the goods

He’s not really unless we have a genuine reason for not playing A and can justify this to NRL. I personally don’t think Fogarty is NRL standard although he is a very good Cup player.

- - - Updated - - -

Look at the tigers, everyone fighting for their spot, nofalouma dropped first round, everyone digging in for each other in defence, that's all I wanna see, is that too much to ask? Garth needs to make a statement this week that that's not good enough, drop elegy, Latu, and possibly Carty, copely, peats and maybe a few others

Lol mate we wouldn’t even be able to fied a team

RavShamrock
25-03-18, 05:30 PM
FU$King bad.
I was an LG fan but I know when to jump. He is offering nothing.

The only answer from where we sit for 5/8 is to up the ante for Peach and play him there.
We must take some desperate action or we'll struggle to win another game this year.

Might as well experiment all over the park we could not play any worse.

TITAN PETE
25-03-18, 05:46 PM
Embarrassing is the only thing to say

Wallace looks a month behind where he needs to be , should've started with Burleigh or Tweed

Most of our points came through Hurrells side of the park , something there needs serious work

Panthers are as good as gone with Cleary surely the Peach wants an early out..

If Simms isn't sighted the Dragons become the Donkeys twin

Mr Bods
25-03-18, 06:10 PM
Hoping the soothing measured words of DB can help me feel better
Bad enough dealing with the Sunday night blues but to have this humiliation thrown in it’s a bit distressing

JunctionBlock
25-03-18, 06:21 PM
Watched the presser. Anything I would have been happy to hear wouldn't have been professional and everything I did hear hasn't affected my feelings after that game and looking forward.

After three games we are still blaming new structures and combinations? He thought we never gave up? Anyway, nothing could be said that was going to be both professional and appeasing for my thirst for blood.

rj62
25-03-18, 06:26 PM
Hoping the soothing measured words of DB can help me feel better
Bad enough dealing with the Sunday night blues but to have this humiliation thrown in it’s a bit distressing

Lol
Beer also helps

lonegull
25-03-18, 06:35 PM
Just watched the press conference, what is Brennan thinking with some of his comments like titans never gave up come on he must of been watching the kids playing on the hill, I was one hoping Brennan came out in the press conference and made a statement and grilled the players for what they dished up but wasn’t I wrong talked like he supported their efforts and blamed being a new side with new structures come on Garth pull the other one he should of been glowing red with steam coming out of his ears but he seemed relaxed and not to fussed about the game

BundyTitan
25-03-18, 06:38 PM
While I admired Brennan's positive attitude at the start of the season, the presser was embarassing to watch. As Junction pointed out, blaming new combinations and structures is pathetic (he said how the right side was all new however Ash, Proctor, Koni and Don was our right side last year). I understand coaches often can't say what they actually think but him saying Elgey did plenty of things well and that it's all part of the "journey of a player"...surely he can't believe that. And him saying that he believed we were trying 110% the whole game is worrying if that is true. Hoping we aren't stuck with another coach that is content with that sort of performance.

Mr Bods
25-03-18, 06:38 PM
^^^ yeah I was very underwhelmed too. I don’t like making excuses such as new combinations, new structures, it will take time. It gives the players a crutch to lean on.
I can only hope he’s saying one thing to the press and another thing behind closed doors to them.

Hail Sezer
25-03-18, 06:42 PM
^^^ yeah I was very underwhelmed too. I don’t like making excuses such as new combinations, new structures, it will take time. It gives the players a crutch to lean on.
I can only hope he’s saying one thing to the press and another thing behind closed doors to them.

Trust me Bodsy he will be giving it to them behind closed doors. A few players were found out during pre season for effort and were given a real serve/dealt with pretty firmly..

Not at all surprised a rookie coach plays it safe and maintains optimism at all costs toward the media. Doesn’t want to create headlines or become a meme. Let’s try and keep this in mind before flipping out over a press conference like half of the Titans Facebook community

Mr Bods
25-03-18, 06:48 PM
^^^ I don’t do FB......much more measured and knowledgeable community in here. Got rid of FB a decade ago and never looked back. I guess that’s one reason why I am so prolific in here.
I’d hate to see the FB page right now.
Glad to read your comment then re The Coach behind closed doors.
Hope they show them the game on the Bus Trip Home.

ozynorts
25-03-18, 06:59 PM
I have nothing other than that was pathetic.
I have also cashed in my Elgey chips, he is just struggling. Our edge defence is as bad as it has ever been and that’s saying something.
Gotta go stir a pot now with my Wooden Spoon.

karnage
25-03-18, 07:05 PM
Still driving home from Toowoomba.
- If Latu plays one more game for the Titans it will be one too many.
- Ryan James should not play on an edge.
- Cartwright sucks but unfortunately LG sucks more. Move Carty to 6 because we can’t have two complete defensive liabilities on he field at once.
- Positives: Proctor and Sami tried hard.

Marvin the Titan
25-03-18, 07:20 PM
I’d like to see wholesale changes - left field question . Rein at 5/8?

I don’t think that’s left field at all. I was thinking the same.

RavShamrock
25-03-18, 07:21 PM
James was more a true reflection in the press conference of how things went today.
I’m going to say it up front never have I seen a worst performance from a Titans team.
I don’t give a stuff what Brennan said in the press conference because at the end of the day he is responsible and any more performances like today then put his head straight on the chopping block so we can minimise the damage.
Get some balls Brennan as we’ve been way to exposed to this type of bullsh!t and we ain’t going to take it anymore.

I was full of optimism leading into the game today now I’m feeling more displeasure with the club than any other time in history.
(How the hell do we expect to get new members when the forever faithful are struggling with the current state of play.)

rj62
25-03-18, 07:27 PM
I don’t think that’s left field at all. I was thinking the same.

The fact that he runs at the line at the very least is worth exploring. Plus he can tackle.
What’s to lose?

Boonarga
25-03-18, 07:28 PM
It's not all bad.
1. The mighty Western Suburbs Magpies are back in the comp and leading after 3 rounds.
2. I don't have to waste any money going to Lang Park next week to watch that sh!te.

Mexican titan
25-03-18, 07:29 PM
Trust me Bodsy he will be giving it to them behind closed doors. A few players were found out during pre season for effort and were given a real serve/dealt with pretty firmly..

Not at all surprised a rookie coach plays it safe and maintains optimism at all costs toward the media. Doesn’t want to create headlines or become a meme. Let’s try and keep this in mind before flipping out over a press conference like half of the Titans Facebook community

Like you, I would be hoping that he goes ballistic behind closed doors. That press conference had a touch of the old Carty press conference where we all waiting for some reaction but got nothing.
I just wish he wouldn't trot out the frap about new combinations, left side blah blah. Better to say nothing than talk BS. Don't hang the players in public but don't say stuff that you think any supporter will swallow. That today was lack of heart and poor skills, nothing else.There are some horrible signs that many of these blokes are just lapping up the easy money on the Coast and not putting in, locals included.
Oh well that does me on the NRL for tonight. I'll switch on the cricket and watch our team play within the spirit of the gentlemans game. Oh wait.

Marvin the Titan
25-03-18, 07:41 PM
I’ve been an Elgey fan for a while, but time is surely up. Cartwright doesn’t have the defensive starch to play in the middle, but could have makings of a handy utility. Peats needs a kick up the ****. We can’t afford to be playing two hookers. We need the extra bench forward. My team looks a little like this;
1. Gordon
2. Don
3. Copley
4. Hurrell
5. Sami
6. Rein
7. Taylor
8. Wallace
9. Peats
10. James
11. Proctor
12. Hipgreave
13. Arrow
14. Cartwright
15. Latu
16. Mattews
17. King

Titanic
25-03-18, 07:48 PM
Ok but would put Brimson in 6, lose Peats for Rein and get Simpkins on the bench.

Mexican titan
25-03-18, 07:51 PM
Ok but would put Brimson in 6, lose Peats for Rein and get Simpkins on the bench.

Shows how bad we are going when blokes like Simpkins start getting a mention.

JunctionBlock
25-03-18, 08:01 PM
Problem I see is that after what was in the presser (new combos etc) doesn't that tie his hands with not changing too much up?

HS, are the players that were "found out during preseason" in the squad now? If so then I don't think they were dealt with "firmly" enough and we are seeing it on the field unfortunately.

Anyway, Broncos next week and they are looking absolutely terrible so anything could happen (with the right ref).

RavShamrock
25-03-18, 08:01 PM
I'd say Titanic is just looking for some cover for Rein in his team

Marvin the Titan
25-03-18, 08:03 PM

You might be right. It just worries me that our poor defence seems to derive from a lack of trust in our young halves. Particularly on our left edge. I’m not convinced another young half is the answer. An older head might be the short term solution while Elgey goes back to QCup to rebuild.

Bayside Titan
25-03-18, 08:12 PM
A small loss of about 10 -16 I would have not been too worried about seeing how it’s round 3. However that loss today is clearly worrying. For mine Dark needs to go back up front. Arrow needs to go in the second row and be on LG side Hippagrave lock.

Marvin the Titan
25-03-18, 08:28 PM
Whichever way we go I think we can all agree that we can’t continue with Cartwright in the middle and Elgey in the halves. Brennan said he wasn’t afraid to make tough calls. It will be interesting to see if he is true to his word. I don’t think I could stand another loss to donkeys.

RavShamrock
25-03-18, 08:38 PM
Actually know that I think about it we have no choice but to move Cartwright to 5/8. Cartwright will defend better than LG and won't be hard to offer more in attack (no brainer)
James back to the middle and Arrow to lock. (Brennan can stick his "ball playing lock" up his clacker.)

gothabull
25-03-18, 08:47 PM

Totally agree mate well said

Hail Sezer
25-03-18, 08:50 PM
Problem I see is that after what was in the presser (new combos etc) doesn't that tie his hands with not changing too much up?

HS, are the players that were "found out during preseason" in the squad now? If so then I don't think they were dealt with "firmly" enough and we are seeing it on the field unfortunately.

Anyway, Broncos next week and they are looking absolutely terrible so anything could happen (with the right ref).

One of them isn’t, another hasn’t played NRL this year.

Feedback from the players is that he is big on effort and application so if that’s anything to go by then today’s lot will get a belting.

Let’s not forget that a week ago we were commending our effort against the warriors and a week before that against the raiders. Not saying that excuses today by any stretch but gives some perspective

Titanic Believer
25-03-18, 08:51 PM
With our up coming schedule and today's (and last two weeks form) the season will be over before we get back to Robina.

Fans were promised a team that would compete......I just didn't realise they meant the Tigers.

It has been too many years of this.......I no longer feel disappointed.

RavShamrock
25-03-18, 08:55 PM
With all due respect HS we are only as good as our last game.
Lets get real!

Mr Bods
25-03-18, 08:58 PM
Floodgates opened today....that’s a very serious matter to address.

RavShamrock
25-03-18, 08:59 PM
With our up coming schedule and today's (and last two weeks form) the season will be over before we get back to Robina.

Fans were promised a team that would compete......I just didn't realise they meant the Tigers.

It has been too many years of this.......I no longer feel disappointed.

Also mate we were promised that we would be the entertainers.
Well we're the entertainers alright it's just for the opposition's fans though

teke
25-03-18, 09:16 PM
There is no puzzle to LG, he is a running half that is not running.

He is the most skillful player in the club and he is the key to a winning outfit.

Carty is nothing like his uncle, he's soft and with a inferior offload

Randomologist
25-03-18, 11:13 PM
Did Hipgrave not play?

Whats Doing
26-03-18, 02:55 AM
Hope Brennan is not a Rick Stone clone or we are in real trouble

JunctionBlock
26-03-18, 06:22 AM

Feedback from the players is that he is big on effort and application so if that’s anything to go by then today’s lot will get a belting.

Let’s not forget that a week ago we were commending our effort against the warriors and a week before that against the raiders. Not saying that excuses today by any stretch but gives some perspective

Cheers, not coach bashing yet. With the results being all over the place in the NRL the last few weeks we aren't in such a dire position as some others thankfully. The last thing we need is to do is go from bad to worse (or worst) by making knee jerk reactions however I still believe some changes need to be made.

Ausphin
26-03-18, 07:27 AM
Even though I was as deflated as everyone else yesterday I resisted the urge to respond straight away when everything was still raw. I have read here and elsewhere posts about Brennan not being up to 1st grade standard and we will struggle to win another game etc. Ridiculous. Give the guys a chance. How he/the team respond to this result will be a real indication.

Granted we were woeful yesterday, but the Dragons have been the form team of the comp putting nearly 40 on the Broncos in rd1. In reality we were never going to be there at the end of the season, but all I was hoping for was a team that improved throughout the course of the year. Yesterday was difficult to watch but we were always going to have our struggles early in the season. I will wait and see how the coach and team respond.

Canon
26-03-18, 08:28 AM
We're still putting a team together. At least we've gone away from the days when we were just buying 30-something hasbeens who only wanted to pick up some money and retire on the coast. Pretty much everyone we've picked up over the last couple of seasons has been young and up coming, still with stuff to prove to get into rep teams.

It was horrible yesterday, but you have to come up with a plan, have faith in it, and stick to it going forward. Or you're just starting from square one all the time...

Numbers
26-03-18, 08:51 AM

Howdy Hail Sezer, you seem the most likely person on the forum to know (but if anybody else does, please feel free to chime in), so can you tell me which, if any, of the coaches in our current set-up is most responsible for coaching our defence? I believe last year under Henry it was Craig Hodges. With Hodges still in our coaching ranks as far as I'm aware, have things changed much with regards to coaching our defence with Brennan coming in?

Mexican titan
26-03-18, 09:19 AM
Howdy Hail Sezer, you seem the most likely person on the forum to know (but if anybody else does, please feel free to chime in), so can you tell me which, if any, of the coaches in our current set-up is most responsible for coaching our defence? I believe last year under Henry it was Craig Hodges. With Hodges still in our coaching ranks as far as I'm aware, have things changed much with regards to coaching our defence with Brennan coming in?

I was just looking at a copy of Saturday's Courier Mail which had a preview of yesterdays game. The was a quote from Brennan that said "we have been concentrating on defence since November to be honest". Hmm, time wasted I guess.

Titanic
26-03-18, 11:26 AM
No MT would’ve been 100

Surfers66
26-03-18, 11:46 AM
Disgusting effort....

Gordon tried hard. Peats was my fav player last year but Rein seems to be going better.
Don was safe and Sami was good. All round pretty terrible game from all.

Geez we miss Greg Bird more than i thought we would.

We need better backs and tougher forwards, over to you Garth!

mdrew
26-03-18, 11:57 AM
Tariq Simms cops a fine. Wow

teke
26-03-18, 12:20 PM
Disgusting effort....

Gordon tried hard. Peats was my fav player last year but Rein seems to be going better.
Don was safe and Sami was good. All round pretty terrible game from all.

Geez we miss Greg Bird more than i thought we would.

We need better backs and tougher forwards, over to you Garth!Watched all of Birds game this yr and he's still thumping blokes in defence, he's also milking every tackle and giving away 2 penalties every game

gotitans101_
26-03-18, 01:34 PM
I was just looking at a copy of Saturday's Courier Mail which had a preview of yesterdays game. The was a quote from Brennan that said "we have been concentrating on defence since November to be honest". Hmm, time wasted I guess.

lol

Surfers66
26-03-18, 01:37 PM
Watched all of Birds game this yr and he's still thumping blokes in defence, he's also milking every tackle and giving away 2 penalties every game

We took the good, with the bad with Birdy... yesterday we played with thirteen Matt Robinsons.....so bad

JunctionBlock
26-03-18, 07:39 PM
Tariq Simms cops a fine. Wow

Any word on Ash and the tripping attempt?

Mexican titan
26-03-18, 07:49 PM
Any word on Ash and the tripping attempt?

Yeah mate, he copped a grade 1 which is a fine. Hipgrave got 90 points for an early plea on a dangerous contact but he has 45 carryovers so I think that means he'll miss a week.

JunctionBlock
26-03-18, 08:27 PM
Yeah mate, he copped a grade 1 which is a fine. Hipgrave got 90 points for an early plea on a dangerous contact but he has 45 carryovers so I think that means he'll miss a week.

Cheers. Can't seem to keep Hipgrave on the field. Bird 2.0

- - - Updated - - -

Mot mine but funny. Gotta love wikipedia....

https://i.imgur.com/kx1zJia.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/twTkx0K.jpg

teke
26-03-18, 10:40 PM
We took the good, with the bad with Birdy... yesterday we played with thirteen Matt Robinsons.....so bad:laugh::laugh:

RavShamrock
27-03-18, 09:47 AM
We took the good, with the bad with Birdy... yesterday we played with thirteen Matt Robinsons.....so bad

Well mate he might be in for a recall the way we're going.

Titanic
27-03-18, 12:09 PM
He won’t give up the big money, the blow or the croissants.

RavShamrock
27-03-18, 01:23 PM
Sh!t, I thought we'd just grab him out of the Bears.
Maybe that's a different Matt?

Mr Bods
27-03-18, 03:39 PM
What was our players behaviours like at fulltime on Sunday? Did they look embarrassed or did they smile and have a social event with the blokes that had just owned them.

JunctionBlock
27-03-18, 04:05 PM
What was our players behaviours like at fulltime on Sunday? Did they look embarrassed or did they smile and have a social event with the blokes that had just owned them.

Koni and Sims had a hug and a laugh.

Hail Sezer
27-03-18, 04:05 PM

onto next week now bodsy

Mr Bods
27-03-18, 04:09 PM
onto next week now bodsy

Ok....it’s just something being a bit old school that I struggle with is lack of hurt after losses