PDA

View Full Version : Round 2: NZ WARRIORS vs TITANS (2018)

DIEHARD
13-02-18, 01:09 AM
12:00pm SATURDAY 17TH MARCH
Mt Smart Stadium

shamus
13-02-18, 07:05 AM
I am heading over for this one.

Mexican titan
13-02-18, 08:24 PM
Hey DH, can these game threads be put in the Titans games folders. No big deal I know but I'd rather the topical issues threads be kept separate.

Mr Bods
13-02-18, 08:40 PM
Hey DH, can these game threads be put in the Titans games folders. No big deal I know but I'd rather the topical issues threads be kept separate.

Good Call MT-I’d like that too

MT-you renewed your membership yet??

Mexican titan
14-02-18, 10:05 AM
Good Call MT-I’d like that too

MT-you renewed your membership yet??

Yes all done mate. I hope that at the end of this season I will not even have to consider whether I re-join and just do it straight away, but that's in the clubs and players hands. Though the whole place looks a lot more solid than last year so I am expecting a positive year.

DIEHARD
14-02-18, 01:31 PM
I think usually the current game threads have been in the main forum and then moved afterwards to be archived. So I made the first home and first away game. Interested to hear people's views.

Mexican titan
14-02-18, 03:15 PM
I think usually the current game threads have been in the main forum and then moved afterwards to be archived. So I made the first home and first away game. Interested to hear people's views.

OK. I thought you might have been going to load all the home games in the main forum now. In that case if it's only the current game I don't really care either way. Cheers.

Mr Bods
14-02-18, 03:32 PM
Yes all done mate. I hope that at the end of this season I will not even have to consider whether I re-join and just do it straight away, but that's in the clubs and players hands. Though the whole place looks a lot more solid than last year so I am expecting a positive year.

Excellent news brother MT
Next mission is to get you to drop that Manly half of you and get you totally dialed in.

Mexican titan
14-02-18, 04:03 PM
Next mission is to get you to drop that Manly half of you and get you totally dialed in.

That will not be happening Bodsie, however I do expect the Titans to rise up the table this season and fear that Manly may slide a little. In a funny way it may come down to the same issue for both sides and that is 5/8. Here we may have a problem with a bloke that cannot defend and at Manly we have a problem with....well we let a 5/8 go and have no obvious replacement. Probably young Lachie Croker will get the job but as you can see that position may determine how well both sides go.

Anyway, we have hijacked this thread which is supposedly Titans V Warriors. I think the Warriors will come near last this year so this is quite simply an early must win game for the Titans.

ozynorts
15-02-18, 07:49 AM
We always have trouble beating the Warriors regardless of how well either team is playing but I hope we can kick the season of with a win over our bogey team.

DIEHARD
11-03-18, 07:36 PM
Bump. Round 2!

Warriors come off beating the Rabbits in Perth.

Mr Bods
12-03-18, 09:32 AM
Now that we have finished celebrating we need to deal with that atrocious start yesterday when fresh footballers simply ran through our middle with ease. I honestly thought they were simply more fired up, after the warm up our blokes strolled off whereas the Raiders were doing a lot of hugging, I think they were more up for an early onslaught.
However, are there any changes we should consider making in order to be less wafer thin at the start.

JunctionBlock
12-03-18, 10:06 AM
Now that we have finished celebrating we need to deal with that atrocious start yesterday when fresh footballers simply ran through our middle with ease. I honestly thought they were simply more fired up, after the warm up our blokes strolled off whereas the Raiders were doing a lot of hugging, I think they were more up for an early onslaught.
However, are there any changes we should consider making in order to be less wafer thin at the start.

Our guys were hugging in the shed (via foxsport).

Titanic
12-03-18, 10:16 AM
As long as they weren’t kissing, read iphonex ad here :( old school I’m sorry to say.

Mr Bods
12-03-18, 10:50 AM
Our guys were hugging in the shed (via foxsport).

All hugs aside I do think there was an ambush that we weren’t ready for. I think it was mental however do you think some changes to the starting 13 could be in order?

JunctionBlock
12-03-18, 11:12 AM
All hugs aside I do think there was an ambush that we weren’t ready for. I think it was mental however do you think some changes to the starting 13 could be in order?

I think we are just notorious slow starters at home. Same as last year and year before. Hopefully with all the away games this season we do better.

As for the Iphone ad, I saw that for the first time yesterday at the movies. Had to have a laugh, not at the gay part but at the end when it says "Filmed on an Iphone X" and then there is a disclaimer at the bottom regarding additional software and hardware used.

Mr Bods
12-03-18, 11:58 AM
CM already trying to cause problems for us by publicising an alleged squirrel grip by Proctor

Mexican titan
12-03-18, 01:19 PM
CM already trying to cause problems for us by publicising an alleged squirrel grip by Proctor

One of the shows on Fox last night carried on about it as well. I just tried to find the judiciary stuff on the new NRL site and couldn't find it so hopefully he will not get charged. The Canberra bloke might have liked it!

EDIT; Just read that the NRL has issued Proctor with an official warning notice. After the drugs stuff last year you'd think Proctor be a bit smarter but you can't put brains in a statue.

JunctionBlock
12-03-18, 04:01 PM
One of the shows on Fox last night carried on about it as well. I just tried to find the judiciary stuff on the new NRL site and couldn't find it so hopefully he will not get charged. The Canberra bloke might have liked it!

EDIT; Just read that the NRL has issued Proctor with an official warning notice. After the drugs stuff last year you'd think Proctor be a bit smarter but you can't put brains in a statue.

Usually with crap like that it'd be a fine.

Mr Bods
12-03-18, 04:18 PM

Yeah it’s pretty stupid and grubby. We don’t want our players doing stuff like that. I realise Proctor scored a try yesterday but otherwise I wasn’t all that impressed. I’m still wanting a lot more from old Cokey The....oh ok I won’t say it, from Proctor.

JunctionBlock
12-03-18, 05:02 PM
Yeah it’s pretty stupid and grubby. We don’t want our players doing stuff like that. I realise Proctor scored a try yesterday but otherwise I wasn’t all that impressed. I’m still wanting a lot more from old Cokey The....oh ok I won’t say it, from Proctor.

I thought he played the best we've seen in a Titans jersey yesterday TBH.

Mr Bods
12-03-18, 05:12 PM

He hasn’t really played too many good games in regards to my high expectations of him. In my opinion the best game he played for us was when we beat Cronulla at Shark Park last season.

Mexican titan
12-03-18, 05:15 PM

I thought his performance was mixed yesterday. He dropped a couple of passes at bad times and even though he went to the line a few times, he never looked like poking his nose through or offloading. His defence was ok from what I recall. On the positive at least he seemed to be wanting to get more involved yesterday.

Titanic
12-03-18, 08:00 PM
Proctor is a workhorse or at least that’s what Bellamy expected so I think we shouldn’t be looking for a Mannering rather than an SBW. Are you allowed to use SBW? Would I be fined or just get a Warnering? See what I did there Shamus?

rj62
12-03-18, 08:35 PM

“Can’t put brains in a statue” LOL

I’m stealing that..:D

Dooldog76
12-03-18, 08:56 PM

Yeh, maybe we’ve been a bit harsh. But he dropped the ball a lot yesterday and I did see a raiders player blowing up at him as well. I think hipgrave needs to come into the side. At the expense of Boyle.

Menoitios
13-03-18, 07:24 AM
Watch the sharks players next game they play. They have their hands right up near their opponents jatz crackers in almost every tackle. I think KP's hand got wedged in their on the ground and he was just trying to pull it out as both he and Rapana raced to get to their feet.

Titanic
13-03-18, 08:18 AM
Coke Zero’s arm was turned the other way, it was just caught in there. Anyway, Rap-a-nana has minuscule cajones just ask Sloppy Seconds Leilua.

gcboyz
13-03-18, 09:45 AM
Kevin Proctologist was not guilty, just doing his job.

GCTTSD
13-03-18, 02:01 PM
I think we need someone like arrow, hipgrave or Mathews starting at lock this weekend to tighten Up our middle defense in the first 15 and then bring Cartwright on to do what he does

timor 2
13-03-18, 03:01 PM
Warriors v Titans

Saturday, 17 March

Mt Smart Stadium

5:00pm (NZ time)

1. Michael Gordon

2. Anthony Don

3. Dale Copley

4. Konrad Hurrell

5. Phillip Sami

6. Kane Elgey

7. Ash Taylor

8. Jai Arrow

9. Nathan Peats

10. Leilani Latu

11. Kevin Proctor

12. Ryan James ©

13. Bryce Cartwright

14. Mitch Rein

15. Max King

16. Will Matthews

17. Morgan Boyle

18. Keegan Hipgrave

19. Joe Greenwood

20. Jai Whitbread

21. Alexander Brimson

JunctionBlock
13-03-18, 03:37 PM
No changes at this stage

https://i.imgur.com/HCihNXU.png

Mr Bods
13-03-18, 03:57 PM
I remain concerned about how we started on Sunday.
I think Cartwright to the bench with Boyle starting,I’m suggesting Boyle over King purely due to size, then Cartwright can come on after 20mins at lock and add a bit of extra creativity to our attack after the settling in period.

Menoitios
13-03-18, 04:05 PM
I'm more nervous about this week than last week. Last week I was thinking a loss was probable due to lack of player cohesion, being so many are new to the side, but look what happened.

This week I'm expecting an even better performance so the old nerves are playing up a bit.

Bugger it though, I might as well go right out on a limb....

Titans 30 - Warriors 18

MOM - Ryan James

Proctor, Arrow and Latu will also have big games with Don to score a double.

I feel Elgey is in for a blinder this week and Gordon will be at 100% with the goal kicking.

RavShamrock
13-03-18, 04:15 PM
In all honesty I think it is a good thing Brennan has left the side unchanged as the desire to start better this week will be solely in the hands of the guilty parties whom have the incentive of righting a wrong. The best motivation I believe (Bennett's a master of it)

shamus
13-03-18, 07:45 PM
Flights booked...check
Accommodation...check
Tickets to game...check

Catch yas when I get back ����

DIEHARD
13-03-18, 10:11 PM
http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/13.3.jpg

ozynorts
14-03-18, 06:24 AM
http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/13.3.jpg

Yep and we have to play them at Mt Smart where they tend to play their best footy.

ja4220
14-03-18, 06:51 AM
But from memory that win in 2015 was one of Elgeys break out games! Anzac Day if memory serves me correctly.
Hopefully he can repeat the result ;)

indoallstars
14-03-18, 07:06 AM
I am pretty sure there was a stat from the previous raiders game where whoever was winning at half time always went on to win the game. We finally might be breaking some hoodoos

rj62
14-03-18, 10:14 AM
I always view the warriors at home a threat to any team at any time.

If we compete I will be more than happy, if we win I’ll be over the bloody moon like I have been since Sunday.

JunctionBlock
14-03-18, 12:13 PM
Hot tomato just reported that Ash hasn't trained today due to hamstring soreness after the Raiders game.

DavidBouveng
15-03-18, 08:10 AM
i remember during the game Ash was stretching it out a bit after a long kick, hope its ok.

From memory he was in doubt for so many games last year with hip problems and then played every game of the year, so maybe this is just how he rolls

Bayside Titan
15-03-18, 10:03 AM
Taylor came to the sideline at about the 15 minute mark and mentioned that his hammy was tight. They kept on putting deep heat or what ever on it.

Titanic
15-03-18, 11:15 AM
Too early to risk it ... give AJ a shot ... I’m not pushing Brimson’s lot but Taylor can’t be risked.

teke
15-03-18, 02:09 PM
Super impressed with warriors in rd 1, they'll be hard to beat

JunctionBlock
15-03-18, 03:21 PM
Too early to risk it ... give AJ a shot ... I’m not pushing Brimson’s lot but Taylor can’t be risked.

Carty would go into the halfs first. I believe he's been training there this week just in case. Ash is expected to play BTW.

Hail Sezer
15-03-18, 03:57 PM
Carty would go into the halfs first. I believe he's been training there this week just in case. Ash is expected to play BTW.

AJ heading over to NZ too which is interesting. Purely as cover but cool to see he's in the picture

Mr Bods
15-03-18, 04:02 PM

Does anyone know if Bryce Cartwright has a nickname other than “Carty”. Every time I read the work “Carty” I just cringe, it just makes me think of John Cartwright.

- - - Updated - - -

AJ heading over to NZ too which is interesting. Purely as cover but cool to see he's in the picture

Is anyone also going over as cover for Koni?

Titanic
15-03-18, 04:10 PM
Is anyone also going over as cover for Koni?Shamus

Mr Bods
15-03-18, 04:17 PM
Shamus

Titanic I’m talking about who is cover for him to play Centre not cover for biggest pig at the Seafood Buffet.

TITAN PETE
15-03-18, 04:28 PM
The Warriors may have found there missing link in Green he is a true 5/8 & they were easily the most impressive side from round 1 but we all know @ the end of the day they have always been the biggest disappointment in the NRL & consistency is not their strong suit

#toomanybros

C-Whiz
15-03-18, 05:12 PM
No more hoodoo's, we are a really fresh squad, almost reborn. No baggage except from round 1 where I'm hoping those rookie defensive errors are hard learnt lessons, not to be repeated.

Never confident going across the ditch but NZ have already played their best game of footy for 2018. They usually win big and then drop a game so lets hope that happens.

Titanic
15-03-18, 05:53 PM
I attribute Koni's form to his having his 'fro contained

gotitans101_
15-03-18, 06:09 PM
Super impressed with warriors in rd 1, they'll be hard to beat

yeah i don't see us beating them tbh

DavidBouveng
15-03-18, 06:40 PM
all you negative nancies... you probably thought we were in trouble at 18-0 as well :poke:last week.

RavShamrock
15-03-18, 08:09 PM
No more hoodoo's, we are a really fresh squad, almost reborn. No baggage except from round 1 where I'm hoping those rookie defensive errors are hard learnt lessons, not to be repeated.

Never confident going across the ditch but NZ have already played their best game of footy for 2018. They usually win big and then drop a game so lets hope that happens.

If you meant for this to be contradictory then it is genius

gotitans101_
16-03-18, 12:02 AM
all you negative nancies... you probably thought we were in trouble at 18-0 as well :poke:last week.

many things had to go right for us in that game and they did. Not buying the whole 'this team has changed' crap until I see some consistency - do it week in, week out, then we'll talk.

JunctionBlock
16-03-18, 06:37 AM
One of the things that went right is when the majority of the fans gave up at 18 Nil (me included) Ash didn't drop the bottom lip and start kicking stones and give up. He stepped up and played on.

Titanic
16-03-18, 10:18 AM
I don’t like all you cynics, sceptics and naysayers on here ... that’s my domain so nick off.

TITAN PETE
16-03-18, 10:29 AM
I don’t like all you cynics, sceptics and naysayers on here ... that’s my domain so nick off.

Don't worry mate remember you are unsinkable :p

JunctionBlock
16-03-18, 01:01 PM
Wackos Whispers:

Warriors vs Titans

Warriors are set to be 1-17 with no late changes expected. Titans had Ashley Taylor and Konrad Hurrell fail to train during week due to managing the players work loads but both aren’t in doubt. Leilani Latu dislocated his finger in the first half last week but has trained and will play. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Keegan Hipgrave finds a way into 17.

gcboyz
16-03-18, 02:09 PM
I have a sense that there are going to lots of surprises from Darth Brennan this year. I watched the Warriors trial and when the game was still close in the final ten minutes he threw a couple of rookies onto the field.

Hail Sezer
16-03-18, 02:11 PM
Taylor out

oh no

GCTTSD
16-03-18, 02:22 PM
I wanna see AJ debut but I think the best option might be Carty to half and hipgrave or Mathews to lock tightening up our middle defense

mdrew
16-03-18, 02:27 PM
Cartwright to half, Boyle to Lock and Hipgrave to bench

Randomologist
16-03-18, 02:58 PM
So Boyle, a prop, is playing lock alongside Arrow, a lock, playing prop?

gotitans101_
16-03-18, 03:22 PM
you can't have Carty playing halfback, surely?

ja4220
16-03-18, 03:27 PM
This is where I think Jamal Fogarty would be worth a spot in the 30.
He is more of an organising half than Kane has shown to be. I haven’t seen much of AJ but also seems to be the running creative type that works best with a structured organiser.
I don’t see that in Cartwright either. Just my thoughts

Mr Bods
16-03-18, 03:47 PM
That’s a bummer about Taylor especially given his confidence is up but bring it on I say.
LG will be running the show at 1/2
Cartwright 5/8
Arrow lock
Boyle prop
Hipgrave bench

Everyone of those blokes are capable of doing a good job.
Go Titans

JunctionBlock
16-03-18, 04:05 PM

Brimson may still come off the bench.

DavidBouveng
16-03-18, 09:38 PM
That’s a bummer about Taylor especially given his confidence is up but bring it on I say.
LG will be running the show at 1/2
Cartwright 5/8
Arrow lock
Boyle prop
Hipgrave bench

Everyone of those blokes are capable of doing a good job.
Go Titans

who hacked Bodsy's account?

RavShamrock
16-03-18, 09:47 PM
I hope Boyle proves me wrong because I have him marked as a powder-puff aka Shillo-the- pillow v2

Mr Bods
17-03-18, 09:10 AM
who hacked Bodsy's account?

Ha Ha nah it’s the real Bods
A lot of the stuff I used to complain about are gone now such as bad eggs in the squad, weaknesses in rehab, lack of bias towards local junior talent and the instability of our future......our squad is still a bit weak but everything else has been pretty much addressed so I’m now much more upbeat about how our effort’s on a consistent basis will be from now on.
Today isn’t a “must win” either so I’ll be just looking for the men of the GC to just have a decent hard crack at breaking the NZ Curse.

Mexican titan
17-03-18, 09:33 AM
Today isn’t a “must win” either

So it isn't a mini grand final then?

Actually I think this one is pretty important. Despite the Warriors good win last week, most people tip them for the bottom few teams and these are the ones we must beat to have any chance of making the 8. That might be a dream as well but we need to win these games.

Mr Bods
17-03-18, 10:12 AM
So it isn't a mini grand final then?

Actually I think this one is pretty important. Despite the Warriors good win last week, most people tip them for the bottom few teams and these are the ones we must beat to have any chance of making the 8. That might be a dream as well but we need to win these games.

It’s a Mini GF whenever your win/loss percentage going into a game is Less Than Or Equal To 50%.
What is non-negotiable (something I copped a lot of flak for 12 months ago) is that after 4 rounds you must have won at least 2 games or you can say goodbye to the Top 8 and start planning for 2019.

Titanic
17-03-18, 10:26 AM
Don't worry mate remember you are unsinkable :pyou obviously haven’t seen the hole in my bottom :)

DIEHARD
17-03-18, 12:07 PM
Heard that Warriors are doing $15 tickets so should be a big crowd.

DIEHARD
17-03-18, 12:13 PM
http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/17.1.jpg

DIEHARD
17-03-18, 12:13 PM
Chance to set season alight
http://www.goldcoast.com.au

IF Gold Coast can defy Ash Taylor’s absence and their horrible history against the Warriors to win today, the signs could be good for the year ahead.

The Titans are looking to be two-from-two for just the second time in their NRL history.

The only other time they achieved the feat – in 2010 – they went on to enjoy their best ever campaign, making it all the way to the preliminary final.

However, going by Titans coach Garth Brennan’s assessment of the Warriors’ 32-20 win over South Sydney last weekend, repeating the feat is going to be no easy task.

“The Warriors were clinical for 80 minutes,” Brennan said.

“I have said it a few times this week that it was probably the best 80-minute performance I have seen from a Warriors team.

“I thought they were really well led in their pack with Tohu Harris and Adam Blair and some of the guys they have had there for some time.

“They have always been big and physical but they have come with some really steely edge about their pack at the moment with those two guys coming into their squad.”

Adding to the threat posed by the Auckland outfit has been five-eighth Blake Green’s recruitment to steady the ship alongside electric halfback Shaun Johnson.

Meanwhile, the match will mark Gold Coast centre Konrad Hurrell’s first time playing against his former club at Mt Smart Stadium.

“I wouldn’t swap him for another centre in the game,” Brennan beamed. “His work ethic at training is enormous.”

DIEHARD
17-03-18, 12:16 PM
Leading role for Elgey
http://www.couriermail.com.au

KANE Elgey will get his chance to lead the Gold Coast Titans after Bryce Cartwright was thrust into a makeshift halfback position for today’s clash with the Warriors.

Cartwright will start in the halves at Mt Smart Stadium after Ash Taylor succumbed to a hamstring injury.

Taylor should be available for the Gold Coast’s fixture against St George Illawarra in Toowoomba next weekend.

It is somewhat of a left-field move by coach Garth Brennan to replace Taylor with Cartwright, however Elgey will play the traditional halfback role.

Elgey, 24, is off-contract this season and fighting for his NRL future on the Gold Coast.

Cartwright started at fiveeighth in 20 of 69 matches for Penrith and trained mostly at second-receiver when Taylor missed Wednesday’s session.

The halves are not a foreign position for Cartwright and Elgey will be lumped with the responsibility of calling the shots against the Warriors.

Taylor’s omission and Cartwright’s shift from lock has opened the door for forward Keegan Hipgrave to make his second NRL appearance.

Hipgrave, 21, made his debut in last year’s final round match against the Sydney Roosters and received a onematch suspension.

The former Broncos junior has been a standout throughout the pre-season, with his aggressive attitude earning comparisons to ex-NSW Origin enforcer Greg Bird.

Hipgrave’s former Broncos teammate Jai Arrow, now also at the Titans, said the Gold Coast product was raring to go.

“I’ve been really proud of Keegan this pre-season,” he said. “He rips and tears with the way he plays. He’s 100-mile-an-hour. He likes to get in and get the job done.

“If you’re not running harder than him … he’s going in to hopefully kill you.’’

The Titans have lost 13 of their past 14 matches against the Warriors, however the Gold Coast’s only win in that period was in Auckland in 2015.

Dooldog76
17-03-18, 01:47 PM
Pumped to see hipgrave. If we can shut down Johnson and get in his face, we can get this win. Needs to be won on defense and not a comeback. I’m confident we can get the win.

Mexican titan
17-03-18, 01:53 PM
It’s a Mini GF whenever your win/loss percentage going into a game is Less Than Or Equal To 50%.
What is non-negotiable (something I copped a lot of flak for 12 months ago) is that after 4 rounds you must have won at least 2 games or you can say goodbye to the Top 8 and start planning for 2019.

I think we'll struggle to win next week and we have broncs away soon. So to be 2 and 2 after 4 rounds or better, it makes games like this a must win.

JunctionBlock
17-03-18, 02:13 PM
Am I to one eyed, which defender was disadvantaged when our lead runner runs through the line unimpeded?

BundyTitan
17-03-18, 02:19 PM
Am I to one eyed, which defender was disadvantaged when our lead runner runs through the line unimpeded?

It's the no-commonsense inside/outside shoulder rule which is just ridiculous, no one was disadvantaged

JunctionBlock
17-03-18, 02:19 PM
How good is Michael Gordon, misses RTS but gets up and backs up and saves the try with a tackle on Fusitua.

Upthetits
17-03-18, 02:24 PM
Copley defensive read costs us first try

BundyTitan
17-03-18, 02:25 PM
That is annoying, we've actually been the better team thus far but not capitalising on our chances.

JunctionBlock
17-03-18, 02:31 PM
These commentators are doing my head in. Don't agree with that decision, but shouldn't have been in that position in the first place. Hopefully Hipgrave can snap Johnson in half.

Dooldog76
17-03-18, 02:31 PM
Ok, so what was the difference between that and our try that was disallowed?

rj62
17-03-18, 02:32 PM
Insufficient evidence ...... uurggh

lonegull
NRL bunker so inconsistent

ozynorts
Cartwright fails to come up with the rest of the line creating a staggered line and then just hangs out the washing as RTS strolls through.

rj62
17-03-18, 02:33 PM
That is annoying, we've actually been the better team thus far but not capitalising on our chances.

Spot on

ozynorts
17-03-18, 02:38 PM
Can someone please mute Anasta

Titanic
17-03-18, 02:38 PM
Sami had that ball knocked out of his hand and should have been a line drop out.

gotitans101_
17-03-18, 02:41 PM
Elgey sucks

Take control ffs

Titanic
17-03-18, 02:42 PM
That’s a poor decision on top of some really poor tackling.

5 Year Contract
17-03-18, 02:44 PM
No ash=no creativityl. Our forward go forward is good but thats about it

BundyTitan
17-03-18, 02:47 PM
That's a costly error, would been handy to get some points before half time

- - - Updated - - -

The ideas are there in attack and that was the right play but the execution is lacking

rj62
17-03-18, 02:48 PM
Drop the no look pass LG

lonegull
17-03-18, 02:48 PM
Elgey just not stepping up and taking control this game is made for him but playing second fiddle

Mr Bods
17-03-18, 02:51 PM
Can’t say I’m unhappy
Our men are having a crack
We’ve been unlucky in general in the key moments
And Referees not doing us any favours

See what the second half brings us

GCTTSD
17-03-18, 02:51 PM
This game is so frustrating, every 50/50 call or opportunity is going against us and we look so lost in attack, elgey needs to step up and touch the footy more

Mexican titan
17-03-18, 02:53 PM
I'm a Peats fanbut he seems slow today compared to the zip that Rein gave us last week. And ffs put them on the ground and stop the offloads.
Still in this because it's the warriors.

JunctionBlock
17-03-18, 02:58 PM
Looks like someone put a hangi down for the half time feed in the dressing rooms. Crazy eats.

TitansState
17-03-18, 02:58 PM
I could sub in for the warriors right now and read all our plays. Where's our attacking structure, like wtf. How many hitups do you need to take at the opponents line. We don't need to gain any more metres lol. We are at their *** line. We shouldn't have to rely on one guy to set up all our tries.

That being said, mirror image of last week. Prob gonna end up loving the Titans again at the end of the game.

gotitans101_
17-03-18, 02:59 PM
Is Latu injured? I tuned in half way through the first half...but he's only on 9 pts on Supercoach.

Titanic
17-03-18, 03:00 PM
Apart from the commentary and the refs I’d only chip Peats who just looks way off the pace. Otherwise not too bad. We’re having a crack and trying some stuff ... just can’t get the rub.

NZTITAN
17-03-18, 03:02 PM
Im probably in the minority but im actually quite happy with Phillip Sami as our starting winger

gotitans101_
17-03-18, 03:03 PM
Im probably in the minority but im actually quite happy with Phillip Sami as our starting winger

No way. Sami is awesome. I'll take him over turnstyle Brenko Lee any day of the week.

BundyTitan
17-03-18, 03:03 PM
Is Latu injured? I tuned in half way through the first half...but he's only on 9 pts on Supercoach.

Plenty of runs but he's definitely not a metre-eater, expecting more from him

- - - Updated - - -

Agree with you mate. Sami has been awesome and he's only young so got plenty of time to improve even further

ozynorts
17-03-18, 03:06 PM

Nope he is just a crap SuperCoach player. And yes I have him to.

gotitans101_
17-03-18, 03:07 PM

well, he's goooone for me this week. Had enough of him. A starting prop scoring 9 pts in 40 minutes? What a bludger.

Something is definitely wrong there - he wasn't that bad at Penrith and had a great offload too.

BundyTitan
17-03-18, 03:07 PM

At least you blokes aren't playing fantasy. On -1 point currently :mad:

ozynorts
17-03-18, 03:09 PM
Don doesn’t look right, doesn’t seem to be able to stride out

Titanic
17-03-18, 03:10 PM
Latu today was busily ineffective ... he’s an impact forward and we will go much better when Wallace returns.

gotitans101_
17-03-18, 03:20 PM
Why did we sign Cartwright?

lonegull
17-03-18, 03:20 PM
That’s the difference rein breaks through no one in support the warriors every offload they have three or four there backing up

ozynorts
17-03-18, 03:23 PM
Why did we sign Cartwright?

He has shown nothing that warrants a starting spot and a 4 year deal.

JunctionBlock
17-03-18, 03:27 PM
Peats might need a bit more match fitness but he's also not showing his usual competitiveness either.

Can't blame Carty for an offload when the crowd gets to tell the ref their opinion and he blows a forward pass.

Latu was a sell last week after his 20 odd points from 40 minutes. He's not a workhorse type forward, passes before the line and hasn't got a high workrate. something like 0.6 ppm. Sold him for Rochow.

So James can't stand in the line and impede but Pulu can?

Braith should be on the sideline wearing lycra and shaking pom poms. Never knew he was a Warriors cheerleader.

lonegull
17-03-18, 03:30 PM
Hipgrave and Arrow once again impressive against the warriors big pack

Mr Bods
17-03-18, 03:30 PM
JB-I’m wondering if u r geeing me up by persistence with the term “Carty”. This game just sucks. Nothing has gone our way.

Dooldog76
17-03-18, 03:31 PM
I feel as though we’ve been robbed by the refs in this game. I honestly do.

lonegull
17-03-18, 03:31 PM
Anyone listening to fox and Anasta what a wanker hasn’t said one positive thing about the titans all game

gotitans101_
17-03-18, 03:32 PM
Is it time to blood Brimson?

We have no halves depth. Cartwright isn't a half.

lonegull
17-03-18, 03:33 PM
Sami today has been good in doing the tough yards

TITAN PETE
17-03-18, 03:34 PM
We have been punished by the gaylords with whistles today ,,, I thought lastnights game showed that match fixing is alive & well , today we have never been allowed to compete fairly, never believed we could win it but we weren't allowed to try either

The good part of the match is we look pretty good considering our no1 player isn't on the park

lonegull
17-03-18, 03:34 PM
Jamal forgety would of been good today if he was contracted

rj62
17-03-18, 03:35 PM
Bloody offloads !!

lonegull
17-03-18, 03:37 PM
The thing that worries me today is that if ash doesn’t play the next 23 rounds this is what is going to be offered , Brennan might need a change in strategy with recruitment or just give AJ a go

Ausphin
17-03-18, 03:37 PM
We dont look like coming back but i am not devastated. We have been ok today.

Like I said last week, we will have to take our lumps with Cartwright, but he offers something we haven't had since Bird with his ball play.

I didn't know about Arrow at prop as he gives away some kgs but he bends the line with every carry. For me him and Wallace start with Latu off the bench.

King has been better than Boyle too through 1st 2 rounds.

LG again the punching bag for this forum. Unwarranted in my opinion. With Taylor being such a dominant half it was always going to be tough with him out.

GCTTSD
17-03-18, 03:39 PM
Elgey needs to go back to q cup, never wanna see Carty in the halves unless he's with ash and it's time to give an a go, a time K ow how he went last week?

lonegull
17-03-18, 03:42 PM
Ausphin I disagree about Elgey today was the day he could of made a statement, our forward went forward and weren’t dominated just needed him to take a bit more control and show that he can be a dominate half

Dooldog76
17-03-18, 03:43 PM
Anasta is a rock ape... and illiterate

GCTTSD
17-03-18, 03:43 PM
We dont look like coming back but i am not devastated. We have been ok today.

Like I said last week, we will have to take our lumps with Cartwright, but he offers something we haven't had since Bird with his ball play.

I didn't know about Arrow at prop as he gives away some kgs but he bends the line with every carry. For me him and Wallace start with Latu off the bench.

King has been better than Boyle too through 1st 2 rounds.

LG again the punching bag for this forum. Unwarranted in my opinion. With Taylor being such a dominant half it was always going to be tough with him out.

Elgey played his best football in 2015 alongside guys like Mortimer and zillman, he looks lost out there today

gotitans101_
17-03-18, 03:44 PM
Elgey played his best football in 2015 alongside guys like Mortimer and zillman, he looks lost out there today

he looks like a kid playing a man's game.

JunctionBlock
17-03-18, 03:44 PM
JB-I’m wondering if u r geeing me up by persistence with the term “Carty”. This game just sucks. Nothing has gone our way.

You're living in the past Bodsy, live in the present and have a Carty Party.

I don't think LG has been woeful. Had a try disallowed for himself. Hasn't been a dominant half ever for us. If we could do it all again maybe having Brimson on the bench may have not been a bad idea. Refs haven't been kind, video refs haven't been kind. I guess Ash gets to earn the wage he commands considering LG is on half that.

lonegull
17-03-18, 03:45 PM
he looks like a kid playing a man's game.

Totally agree

Mr Bods
17-03-18, 03:47 PM
Efforts been good and nothing has gone our way. We’ve been really unlucky with some crucial calls. They will learn a lot from this loss. It’s our epic bogey team too.
Regroup for next week in Toowoomba which will be a massive game for us now.

lonegull
17-03-18, 03:47 PM
If there is anything to take out of today’s game one thing is that we never gave up trying

gotitans101_
17-03-18, 03:49 PM
why do all our marginal passes get called forward?

Mr Bods
17-03-18, 03:50 PM
If there is anything to take out of today’s game one thing is that we never gave up trying

We had every reason to drop our bundle too.
I primarily wanted to see effort today and we got that.
Fingers Crossed now for the injury report.

JunctionBlock
17-03-18, 03:52 PM
We had every reason to drop our bundle too.
I primarily wanted to see effort today and we got that.
Fingers Crossed now for the injury report.

Looks like Hurrell is doing the usual, couple of games on couple of games off. Pokies at the Parky are going to get a punishment.

teke
17-03-18, 03:52 PM
No shame in that loss, they did ok vs the March Premiers who had a spine is fantastic form.

The return match here at CBus with a full spine Titans will return serve !

Dooldog76
17-03-18, 03:53 PM
I disagree with the hate on Elgey. It’s a bit hard when your halves partner is sub standard in that position. Cartwright is not a half.

Titanic Believer
17-03-18, 03:54 PM
Just tuned in. Please tell me the positives! Not interested in the negatives.

JunctionBlock
17-03-18, 03:57 PM

If you bet on the Warriors 1-12 I've got good news....

- - - Updated - - -

Jai Arrow: 25 runs for 208 metres and 32 tackles.

teke
17-03-18, 03:58 PM
Nothing wrong with LGs performance.

rj62
17-03-18, 03:58 PM

Which is all I was hoping for. Went in not thinking we would win, but just wanted to compete. Throw in a couple of dubious calls and we were will in the hunt to win it. Heads up boys, it’s not all doom and gloom plus we were minus our playmaker.

Mexican titan
17-03-18, 03:59 PM
Hurrell obviously wasn't fit, way down on last week. I actually think we would have given that a shake had Ash played.
As for Anasta, he fapped on about the warriors the whole game and they did nothing special. Disappointed in LG and he needs to take care of thd 600k he is getting because this will be last contract he gets of that size.
Not really that disheartened after that but next few weeks crucial.

K2G
17-03-18, 04:10 PM
Only round 2 and only 1 loss. Plenty of time to improve, and I expect our attack to get much better as the season goes on.

With that being said... It's never a good sign when a team relies on one player completely. That's what we are right now.

Finding it harder and harder to feel optimistic about Elgey. Refuses to take it to the line. Defenders are rarely in two minds when the ball is in his hands, because he catches and then passes immediately, never straightens up. No real threat to run. I watch his game very closely. I was really hoping to see some more confidence in him after a preseason under a new coach. Two games in, and it's very concerning to me that there looks to be little improvement as far as his confidence with ball in hand goes. So frustrating as his passing and short kicking game are both so dangerous when he's accelerating at the line towards defenders in two minds. He needs to get some confidence running the ball, getting whacked and getting back up to do it again. QCup might be the go.

Even more than a middle, I think we're desperate for a young, fast outside back with good support play. Im actually a little disappointed with our lack of support play over the first two rounds.

Super impressed with Arrow. He needs to be in the starting 13 every week. Carty to the bench.

Upthetits
17-03-18, 04:11 PM
Was really impressed with the first 25 or so minutes, good to see we competed till the end.
Thought Copley deserved more early ball from elegy.
Really miss ash's short kicking game.
Arrow is a machine.
Keegan hipgrave, love the aggression.
Latu... Nearly would have preferred AJ over him TBH.

Refs didn't help but was mostly our fault, need to wrap the ball up better.

Dragons, broncos then manly...tough couple if weeks, could get ugly.

rj62
17-03-18, 04:16 PM
In hindsight AJ should have been a bolter

Titanic
17-03-18, 04:17 PM
I don’t have the Elgey hates either ... his no try was very dubious and Peats service was poor which no one seems to recognize. Get Rein starting, get Latu on the bench and start Hipgrave. I must point out that those flat passes are not accidents. They practice that and it’s bs. If you want to break tackle you’ve got to stand deeper and run hard. James doesn’t do enough of that.

JunctionBlock
17-03-18, 04:25 PM
I thought James was very quiet tonight, especially taking into account his form last week.

gcboyz
17-03-18, 04:39 PM
Well i am happy to join the chorus of support for Jai Arrow. He might as well get number 13 tattooed on his back because Cartwright sure as hell ain't getting it back. Big supporter of Morgan Boyle , however i think he has been well overshadowed by Max King.Both of these guys have huge futures when they grow into their bodies.
Rein before Peats as well.
Cartwright to the second row interchange, however he is currently behind lots of players including Greenwood and Simpkins in my book.
Looking forward to seeing this team when they find some cohesion.
Oh and Anasta is a complete Knob.

psmitty
17-03-18, 04:48 PM
LG wasn't great but he wasn't terrible either. I just don't think we can win a premiership with him in the team. $600k I expect more. Copley doesn't excite me either.
Peats I think will come around as the season goes on but Rein is going well up the middle.
Hipgrave needs to be in the team.
Didn't see much of Matthews. I think eventually Hipgrave needs to take over from Matthews.

Mt Smart
17-03-18, 05:12 PM
Just got home from the ground. I thought the Titans were very unlucky and in some instances robbed with the obstruction rulings. Brave effort by your men without your best. There has been a lot made of the Warriors new found fitness and the mobility of their pack.
I thought (I will have to watch the replay) that the Titans forwards were more mobile than their much vaunted opposites, the territory they made in sets and the way they ran in numbers had me worried till late in that game...nice to see a Titans side up against it...hanging tough through the insane forty plus offloads the Warriors threw.

Hurrell needs to get fitter...he is such a waste pf ability the way he looks for short cuts then injects himself in times of Glory (admittedly I am still Salty with him from his time in NZ). Had the Titans been allowed what I thought were legitimate tries that Game would have been very different. All the best for the Season guys...that Mobile forward pack is going to trouble Fatties in this comp (Already out ran the Raiders down and out ran the Warriors most sets).

Titanic
17-03-18, 11:07 PM
Cheers for the positiveness Smarty, as always it’s a pleasure and looking forward to returning serve :)

DavidBouveng
18-03-18, 12:06 PM
I only saw half of the game as i was out, but it looked like we gave everything, and can be fairly proud of the team who had our gun player withdraw a day before the game.

I cant believe they denied LG's try, he technically put a half step behind his own plaer, but then straightened and no one was impeded imo, and if we go on technicalities, rather than common sense, Pulu being in our defensive line should have rendered their similar try as a no try. just bull****.

So LG gets denied, then Sami unlucky, and it could have been a different match. out forwards matched theirs no doubt at all in my opinion and im really liking our yardage game.

Lets get Arrow and Wallace starting and we are away.

as for Sami...he is showing the hallmarks of a young gun winger taking his opportunities and is our Next Mead or Gordon. he has lost the puppy fat, looks lean mean and does the tough stuff coming out of our own end. Would be a very tough call to bring in brenko or Elliot over him once fit.

Overall i'm not too discouraged with the performance.

DIEHARD
18-03-18, 01:07 PM
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck stars again as New Zealand defeat Gold Coast 20-8
https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

ASH Taylor has become the Gold Coast’s version of Johnathan Thurston after the Titans struggled in Saturday’s 20-8 defeat to the Warriors in New Zealand.

Taylor celebrated his 23rd birthday at home on the Gold Coast with a tight hamstring as The Bunker rained on any chance of the Titans celebrating at Mt Smart Stadium.

With Bryce Cartwright replacing Taylor in the halves, five-eighth Kane Elgey became the chief of the Gold Coast but couldn’t replicate the creativity of the regular Titans No. 7.

Since the start of last season, Taylor has had a hand in more than half of the Gold Coast’s tries and orchestrated last week’s comeback win against the Raiders with a whopping four try-assists.

For years the Cowboys struggled without Thurston and the Titans face becoming a one-man band if they cannot fire without Taylor.

Coach Garth Brennan refused to blame the loss on Taylor’s absence or the Bunker, which denied the Titans three tries and controversially awarded New Zealand a crucial four-pointer.

“I’m disappointed but proud of the effort,” he said.

“I’m not going to blame it on Ash (missing). I thought Kane and Bryce did a really good job.

“There were areas where we might have been a bit better if Ash had of been playing but Kane and Bryce did a good job being thrown in like they were.

“I think they (Bunker decisions) were pretty close to the mark. The referee had a better view than I did.

“That’s footy. Sometimes you get them, sometimes you don’t. That didn’t contribute to us (losing). We could have been better.”

The Titans came out strongly and could have easily had a healthy lead only to have two tries denied, first to Elgey (obstruction) and then Phillip Sami (knock-on).

The near misses proved crucial when David Fusitu’a got the Warriors on the board before Roger Tuivasa-Scheck got the green light despite Nathan Peats being impeded.

The Warriors looked strong again as they surged to another win.

The Warriors dominated possession and field position but the Titans hung on to trail 12-2 and looked to have finally had a slice of luck when Sami went over out wide. But again, the try was denied by the Bunker after Shaun Johnson accentuated an obstruction.

New Zealand got great go-forward throughout the match.

The Titans seemed to drop their heads after the third knock-back and Warriors centre

Solomone Kata scored minutes later to wrap up New Zealand’s 14th victory from their last 15 matches against the Gold Coast.

Offloads were the order of the day for the Warriors.

A leaping Fusitu’a bagged his second late in the game before Anthony Don broke the Gold Coast’s duck without the help of The Bunker with three minutes left.

Taylor is expected to return alongside Maroons Origin prop Jarrod Wallace (suspended) in next Sunday’s showdown with the unbeaten Dragons in Toowoomba.

NZ WARRIORS 20 (D Fusitu’a 2 S Kata R Tuivasa-Sheck tries S Johnson 2 goals) bt GOLD COAST 8 (A Don try M Gordon 2 goals) at Mt Smart Stadium. Referee: Gavin Reynolds, Adam Gee. Crowd: 14,132

DIEHARD
18-03-18, 01:40 PM
Five things we learned — Gold Coast Titans v New Zealand Warriors
http://www.couriermail.com.au/

THE Titans have gone down to the Warriors 20-8 in New Zealand as they struggled without their key man Ashley Taylor.

Here are the five things we learned:

1. The Titans need to create more attacking options. The absence of Ash Taylor (hamstring) saw them devoid of options with the ball as five-eighth Kane Elgey and makeshift halfback Bryce Cartwright struggled to put their stamp on the game. The best teams keep their opponents guessing.

2. Titans hooker Nathan Peats is still not at his best. Peats has been timid defensively in his return from a shoulder reconstruction and had zero runs in the first half. Mitch Rein has looked sharp and may be a better option to start while Peats regains confidence.

3. The Bunker was the Gold Coast’s worst enemy. Kane Elgey and Phillip Sami were denied tries due to obstructions which could have gone the other way. The Warriors were awarded a contentious try to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck despite Peats being impeded.

4. Jai Arrow deserves to keep his starting spot when Origin prop Jarrod Wallace returns from suspension. Arrow has been super impressive in the opening two rounds, racking up 21 runs for 208m and 32 tackles yesterday in another tireless performance.

5. There are positive signs in New Zealand but the Warriors were not overly convincing. Shaun Johnson played far too laterally at times and that is not successful against the better teams in the NRL. The Warriors should not be getting too excited yet.

Mt Smart
21-03-18, 03:18 PM
Cheers for the positiveness Smarty, as always it’s a pleasure and looking forward to returning serve :)

No worries Titanic, always enjoy reading the threads here when our lots are about to face off.

It's been a long time since the Warriors and Titans played each other in an official 'top eight clash' albeit round two.,,,it was still a milestone of sorts, may that continue into the future.

Not looking for Brownie points here, but now I have looked at the replay a few times those obstruction calls were ridiculous, Shaun Johnson clearly milks the second one by walking into the block runner.

Titanic
21-03-18, 04:49 PM
Yep certainly was closer than scores indicate.