PDA

View Full Version : Round 1: TITANS vs RAIDERS (2018)

DIEHARD
13-02-18, 01:08 AM
3:30pmSUNDAY 11TH MARCH
Cbus Super Stadium

DIEHARD
13-02-18, 01:10 AM
Jai Arrow guaranteed place in Titans round one team despite arrival of Bryce Cartwright
https://www.foxsports.com.au/

That’s the guarantee Gold Coast coach Garth Brennan has given despite the arrival of Bryce Cartwright last week casting doubt over Arrow’s place in the team.

Cartwright had been on the Gold Coast for less than 24 hours before he assumed the lock forward position at pre-season training, the position Arrow seemed certain to fill following his off-season switch from the Broncos.

Brennan wants to give Cartwright a roving commission to play both sides of the ruck and through the middle, a role far removed from the one the industrious Arrow would have performed in his place.

'We had a close relationship''We had a close relationship'0:46
Known for his fitness and high workrate, Arrow has played 12 NRL games for the Broncos in each of the past two seasons and moved south to the Gold Coast to secure a regular place in the starting side.

The unexpected arrival of Cartwright from the Panthers last week immediately placed Arrow’s position in jeopardy but Brennan told foxsports.com.au that the 22-year-old has done everything required to earn a spot in Brennan’s round one team.

“It doesn’t affect Jai Arrow one little bit,” Brennan said of Cartwright joining the team.

“Jai Arrow is probably been my standout trainer, my standout player for the whole pre-season.

“Jai Arrow will be in my team somewhere I can guarantee you that.

“I love him, and you can quote me on that.

“He’s trained the house down, he’s done everything right.

“There’ll be no issue about Jai Arrow finding a spot in my team.”

Watch every NRL premiership game live in 2018 on Fox Sports. Sign up here to stream for free on a two week trial >

Finding a place for both Arrow and Cartwright will be easier for Brennan in the opening rounds as he juggles a forward pack that could be missing four prop forwards due to suspension and injury.

Giant 21-year-old Morgan Boyle is the latest on the injured list after heavy contact at training not only resulted in a cut to the head but the resulting fall to the ground causing a partial dislocation of the shoulder.

Titans medical staff remain confident they can rehab the injury in time for round one but Brennan said he won’t be rushed back until he has recovered completely.

With Jarrod Wallace and Keegan Hipgrave both suspended for round one and Jack Stockwell tracking for a return from shoulder surgery in the first month of the season, Brennan will be required to get creative in the middle third of the field.

Captain-elect Ryan James has been training on the left edge all summer but could shift back into the front row in the early rounds while second-year front-rower Max King could also earn an early shot.

“It’s possible, that’s something that we’ve got up our sleeve,” Brennan said of James starting the season in the middle.

“There are some other options there I might have, moving certain guys into that middle role more so than an edge but Ryan can do that, I know he can do that.

“I’m fairly confident in the stocks we’ve got. Jack Stockwell’s flying at the moment, his rehab is coming along really, really well.

“He won’t make round one but he could come back earlier than a month into the season. He’s flying at the moment which is really promising.

“It’s not ideal having ‘J Wal’ (Wallace) and Keegan Hipgrave suspended but you’ve got Maxy King who did a fantastic job there last year.

“Jai Arrow can push up there and do a little bit of a job if Bryce does play that 13 role and then you’ve got ‘Dark’ (James) as well.”

Boonarga
13-02-18, 07:51 PM
Can't get tickets. Ticketek keeps sending me to the return game in May.

Edit: now working

Surfers66
19-02-18, 02:03 PM
If Cartwright gets the gig at 13 where do you think Arrow will play?
Can he play 8/10 for the first couple of rounds possibly or on a edge?

ja4220
19-02-18, 07:36 PM
If Cartwright gets the gig at 13 where do you think Arrow will play?
Can he play 8/10 for the first couple of rounds possibly or on a edge?

I dare say he will be in the injury ward based on this... Broken ribs don’t heal quickly and aren’t really something you can play with no matter how tough you are.
https://www.titans.com.au/news/2018/02/19/news-broken-arrow/

5 Year Contract
20-02-18, 08:26 AM
I dare say he will be in the injury ward based on this... Broken ribs don’t heal quickly and aren’t really something you can play with no matter how tough you are.
https://www.titans.com.au/news/2018/02/19/news-broken-arrow/

Bugger. Not what I wanted to hear coming into round 1 but it would be silly to risk being out long term and ribs can be tricky.

Mr Bods
21-02-18, 06:37 PM
I asked the Club recently what the Curtain Raisers will be to First Grade this year and I got a reply which I’m very thankful and grateful For which in a very well worded and polite way could be summarised as “we don’t know”.

Mexican titan
21-02-18, 07:53 PM
I asked the Club recently what the Curtain Raisers will be to First Grade this year and I got a reply which I’m very thankful and grateful For which in a very well worded and polite way could be summarised as “we don’t know”.

The NRL is making it less worthwhile to go and spend a day at the footy. Why would you travel any sort of distance and possibly be at the ground for less than 2 hours.
That said I don't really want to watch the under 20's rubbish. Having our "reserve" players playing in the curtain raiser rather than having them scattered among a number of QCup sides is crap. Bring back the traditional reserve grade so we can see how the next in line are going, but that horse has bolted I'm afraid.

Hail Sezer
22-02-18, 01:07 PM
The NRL is making it less worthwhile to go and spend a day at the footy. Why would you travel any sort of distance and possibly be at the ground for less than 2 hours.
That said I don't really want to watch the under 20's rubbish. Having our "reserve" players playing in the curtain raiser rather than having them scattered among a number of QCup sides is crap. Bring back the traditional reserve grade so we can see how the next in line are going, but that horse has bolted I'm afraid.

I loved watching the U20 competition. Not because it was remotely an indication of a player ready for NRL, nor was it even close to NRL, but I found it to be particularly entertaining in its own right. I highly doubt the HD comp will make its way to CBUS though.

I think the ISC feeder teams are lined up to do a few curtain-raiser games however this obviously wouldn't be week in week out. Interested to see what happens really. You raise a good point though MT - a lot of fans won't bother turning up if it is to be at the ground for <2 hours.

What do you guys want to see? Women's? Junior reps? Just tossing ideas out

Mr Stupid
22-02-18, 01:31 PM
Unless it was a genuine Reserve grade comp I'd say not to bother. There's no requirement to have 'a curtain raiser'. A comp like the EPL doesn't and spending two hours at the footy is quite a convenient amount of time. It means clubs would save on labour costs etc. instead of having to pay for security (for example) for a couple of dozen people scattered around the stands. Travelling fans (from either team) may want a bit more of a 'show' but how many members of the Burrow would get an earlier flight from Mascot to catch a GC junior Rep game?

Hail Sezer
22-02-18, 03:03 PM
Unless it was a genuine Reserve grade comp I'd say not to bother. There's no requirement to have 'a curtain raiser'. A comp like the EPL doesn't and spending two hours at the footy is quite a convenient amount of time. It means clubs would save on labour costs etc. instead of having to pay for security (for example) for a couple of dozen people scattered around the stands. Travelling fans (from either team) may want a bit more of a 'show' but how many members of the Burrow would get an earlier flight from Mascot to catch a GC junior Rep game?

Good comparison with the EPL and can see the economic perspective.

Re the burrow - probably none from them or any other Sydney club, but this isn't any different from what was experienced when the NYC was existent. I guess you could also look at that and say why target opposition supporters when we could get hundreds of local kids in the gate who want to watch their mates?

Mr Bods
22-02-18, 03:21 PM
I loved watching the U20 competition. Not because it was remotely an indication of a player ready for NRL, nor was it even close to NRL, but I found it to be particularly entertaining in its own right. I highly doubt the HD comp will make its way to CBUS though.

I think the ISC feeder teams are lined up to do a few curtain-raiser games however this obviously wouldn't be week in week out. Interested to see what happens really. You raise a good point though MT - a lot of fans won't bother turning up if it is to be at the ground for <2 hours.

What do you guys want to see? Women's? Junior reps? Just tossing ideas out

Yeah my initial hope when they got rid of NYC was that we could watch a QCup Game as the Curtain Raiser. That hasn’t really changed.

Titanic
22-02-18, 03:31 PM
QCup please otherwise queuing is a nightmare.

ja4220
22-02-18, 08:04 PM
The only thing with having QCup games is that the clubs themselves will lose revenue.
My preference would be increased squads and a proper second tier reserve grade. But as has been mentioned not likely to happen.

Mexican titan
22-02-18, 08:19 PM

Of course I would expect to be a genuine reserve grade comp. When I lived in Mexican state I used to follow Manly all over the place and always went to Penrith, Parra, Canberra etc. If I lived there now there is no way I'd drive these distances to be at a ground for only two hours. That and the crazy kick off times have really affected the amount of travelling supporters down there these days.
I agree with Bods that QCup is the next best option but we only would see a handful of our NRL players in waiting as they are scattered. Anyway I'll drop off, reggie reserves are not coming back so I just have to accept it.

Mr Bods
22-02-18, 08:36 PM
^^^ brings a tear to my eye MT. From the age of about 10 to when I was 14 my mum would drop me off at Endeavour Field at about 1145am and then I’d watch all 3 grades and I’d get picked up about 2km away from Endeavour Field at 530pm every 2nd Sunday.
Then on the Tweed in ‘88 I was able to do the same thing at Seagulls Stadium as an older teenager.
That structure was the Bomb and is why I just lived Rugby League.

Anyway as you said it’s not going to happen again. The next best I can hope for is to watch a few of our squad members playing QCUP.

Upthetits
24-02-18, 07:32 PM
Could someone confirm the game time. Says 1730 on nrl site broadcast said 6pm this thread says 330?

Mr Bods
24-02-18, 07:36 PM
Could someone confirm the game time. Says 1730 on nrl site broadcast said 6pm this thread says 330?

530 QLD Time

JunctionBlock
05-03-18, 06:49 PM
Reports that Arrow will be getting a spot in the front row. Rein off the bench. Sami on one wing and TRD if Don doesn't pass a fitness test on the other.

It's getting close now....

And it looks like Lawton will get a run this weeknd off the bench due to Roache season ending injury. So it looks to have worked out for him. At the other end McQueen named in reserves for the magpies.

RenegadeGC
05-03-18, 07:57 PM
Reports that Arrow will be getting a spot in the front row. Rein off the bench. Sami on one wing and TRD if Don doesn't pass a fitness test on the other.

It's getting close now....

And it looks like Lawton will get a run this weeknd off the bench due to Roache season ending injury. So it looks to have worked out for him. At the other end McQueen named in reserves for the magpies.

I dont think Lawton will, I seen former Burleigh Bears Junior Sam Cook is debuting for Warriors. Which would mean Luke and Cook as hookers. Lawton to ISP?

Titanic
05-03-18, 10:20 PM
Here’s my first season resolution ... if Greenwood’s selected I’m watching on tv. He’s my new Wilbur.

mdrew
06-03-18, 03:05 PM
The forward pack is certainly big and strong

timor 2
06-03-18, 03:09 PM
Titans v Raiders

Sunday, 11 March

Cbus Super Stadium

5:30pm (QLD time)

1. Michael Gordon

2. Anthony Don

3. Dale Copley

4. Konrad Hurrell

5. Phillip Sami

6. Kane Elgey

7. Ash Taylor

8. Jai Arrow

9. Nathan Peats

10. Leilani Latu

11. Kevin Proctor

12. Ryan James

13. Bryce Cartwright

14. Mitch Rein

15. Max King

16. Will Matthews

17. Morgan Boyle

18. Joe Greenwood

19. Jai Whitbread

20. Tyronne Roberts-Davis

21. Alexander Brimson

JunctionBlock
06-03-18, 03:18 PM
https://i.imgur.com/xfl1JgN.png

Mr Bods
06-03-18, 03:41 PM
I like our team a lot but gee the Canberra team on paper is really strong.
I have a belief that if you don’t want a minimum of 2 of your first 4 games then you cannot make the top 8 so given our draw I’m afraid to say that this is “a mini GF” this Sunday.
We can’t afford to ease our way in and hope for a run of wins, we just don’t have the squad for that.
Am expecting our men to really put in on Sunday, some of our efforts last year at home were disgraceful,they need to regain the respect of the local community and give locals something to get excited about.

Titanic
06-03-18, 04:33 PM
Cant remember seeing Arrow play so I’ll reserve judgement on him but when Wallace and Hipgrave are available then do Matthews and Rein move out? I have Canberra in my final eight so I’m just hoping we give a good account of ourselves. Go Titans!

JunctionBlock
06-03-18, 04:57 PM
https://i.imgur.com/qLNtwhC.png

Hopefully causes some dramas mid way through the game for Canberra

DavidBouveng
06-03-18, 07:20 PM
Canberras size in the forwards and unpredictability in the backs scare me, but there halves are mud.

Sezer has never really amounted to anything. He is an average half with a good goal kicking rate, and Sam Williams cant decide if he is a raider or a dragon.

their first choice hooker and best player is out, and a rookie basically coming in.

If we can muscle up attitude wise and not let them run over us, we will do well.

Mexican titan
06-03-18, 07:38 PM
^^^ brings a tear to my eye MT. From the age of about 10 to when I was 14 my mum would drop me off at Endeavour Field at about 1145am and then I’d watch all 3 grades and I’d get picked up about 2km away from Endeavour Field at 530pm every 2nd Sunday.
Then on the Tweed in ‘88 I was able to do the same thing at Seagulls Stadium as an older teenager.
That structure was the Bomb and is why I just lived Rugby League.

Anyway as you said it’s not going to happen again. The next best I can hope for is to watch a few of our squad members playing QCUP.

Well the game before the NRL is....an under 12's school match. FMD, disgraceful.

Mr Bods
06-03-18, 07:40 PM
^^^ speechless

Mexican titan
06-03-18, 07:43 PM
^^^ speechless

And I didn't mean any disrespect to the kids playing. But as I said in earlier posts the NRL are really getting away from the concept of a day at the footy.

Mr Bods
06-03-18, 07:58 PM
And I didn't mean any disrespect to the kids playing. But as I said in earlier posts the NRL are really getting away from the concept of a day at the footy.

I remember (as you and so many others would) when you would get 3 grades of footy PLUS a junior game around the Under 12 age group at halftime of Third Grade and Reserve Grade.
That’s where the under 12s belong on game day.

DavidBouveng
06-03-18, 09:32 PM
Speaking of school kids, even having the high school comp and Keebra park and PBC playing would be decent, id like that

but under 12's is crazy

teke
07-03-18, 03:21 AM
Cant remember seeing Arrow play so I’ll reserve judgement on him but when Wallace and Hipgrave are available then do Matthews and Rein move out? I have Canberra in my final eight so I’m just hoping we give a good account of ourselves. Go Titans!Arrow is my roughie for Broughton Medal winner this season. He gives me good vibes.

He wont be a big stand out but will be rock solid all season, the type of player Qld will pick from nowhere and become part of their winning culture

lonegull
07-03-18, 06:05 AM
Arrow is my roughie for Broughton Medal winner this season. He gives me good vibes.

He wont be a big stand out but will be rock solid all season, the type of player Qld will pick from nowhere and become part of their winning culture

I totally agree, this bloke is a diamond in the rough will churn out big minutes and not frightened to roll the sleeves up and do the hard yards, the big plus with arrow watch his defence around the middle

Titanic
07-03-18, 07:44 AM
Thanks lads, that’s what I like to read.

RavShamrock
07-03-18, 07:52 AM
I really do like the look of the leg/line speed of our forwards.
Have no doubt this is a good mobile pack that will ambush a lot of teams. Actually, I'm thinking most teams will struggle to match our mobility and if Brennan has got this group super fit then this would be a lethal combination indeed.
Does anyone know how mobile Stockwell is... cause that would be some icing?

The backs aren't the quickest going around though but I think they can hold their own.

Mexican titan
07-03-18, 11:12 AM
For those intending to travel by train on Sunday, well there aren't any. Buses replacing trains and yet another piece of wonderful timing by QR.

JunctionBlock
07-03-18, 12:36 PM
For those intending to travel by train on Sunday, well there aren't any. Buses replacing trains and yet another piece of wonderful timing by QR.

Look at the positive, the QR carpark will be empty.

JunctionBlock
07-03-18, 12:48 PM
Getting some nice articles from Neil. Interesting quotes regarding Arrow and Co....

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/06/recruits-headline-new-gold-coast-titans-side-named-for-round-1/

Mr Bods
07-03-18, 08:58 PM
Good Times knowing our boys are under the radar (touch wood) preparing to play for a game of footy while the Drongoes are the club going into this season covered in slop, slime, poo and vomit.
Badel’s Articles have been predictably soft.

Titanic
07-03-18, 09:30 PM
I thought Badel stuck it to the Ponies over the Lodge issue. Just goes to show he has no loyalty even to the hand that feeds him.

ozynorts
08-03-18, 08:42 AM
The Broncos and the NRL are getting a heap of heat over how they have hidden Lodge away. Had to laugh at Bennett claiming an agenda, if they had let him speak before now this storm would have had time to die down.

JunctionBlock
08-03-18, 08:47 AM
What are peoples thoughts on the up coming game? Who's tipping us to start the season with a win? I think we can blind side them. Hopefully grind out a win, just need to keep that ball away from their backline.

ozynorts
08-03-18, 09:10 AM
Their pack is always a massive problem for us. If they get some direction around the ruck then we will have our hands full I think.

Mr Bods
08-03-18, 02:54 PM
Their pack is always a massive problem for us. If they get some direction around the ruck then we will have our hands full I think.

Given our pack is mobile and speed out wide is not our strength I think we need to play a style of “total football” where we need to move the football relentlessly and try and gas our opposition.
Structured footy will not work for us.
Everyone needs to be looking to support their team mate for offloads and all players need to chance their arm.
We should look to keep the ball in play and when we get a penalty, we need to kick for touch or take the tap quickly rather than have a committee meeting.
We need to almost reinvent the game like the Dutch did in soccer in the 1970s when they invented the soccer version of “total football”.

DavidBouveng
08-03-18, 03:42 PM
Given our pack is mobile and speed out wide is not our strength I think we need to play a style of “total football” where we need to move the football relentlessly and try and gas our opposition.
Structured footy will not work for us.
Everyone needs to be looking to support their team mate for offloads and all players need to chance their arm.
We should look to keep the ball in play and when we get a penalty, we need to kick for touch or take the tap quickly rather than have a committee meeting.
We need to almost reinvent the game like the Dutch did in soccer in the 1970s when they invented the soccer version of “total football”.

We could go a step further with inspiration from the Walker Bros Coaching Bible ( available at all good book stores ) and wrestle less in the ruck when defending, giving the other team less time to restructure for the following plays, less time to plan and literally less time with the ball in hand.

Mr Bods
08-03-18, 03:51 PM
^^^ oh yeah I forgot about the Ipswich Walker Brothers game plan. I think they call it “contract football”. Thanks for that info on what ploys they employ in defence, I didn’t know about that.

DavidBouveng
08-03-18, 04:05 PM
^^^ oh yeah I forgot about the Ipswich Walker Brothers game plan. I think they call it “contract football”. Thanks for that info on what ploys they employ in defence, I didn’t know about that.

That's just one element, i also forgot to mention they also have less time to recover and get a breather before they have to kick and chase downfield and defend again.

Upthetits
08-03-18, 04:38 PM
Sounds like it'd work against Canberra, especially being first game of the year. Hopefully Hayden Knowles has the lads in top shape.

RavShamrock
08-03-18, 09:19 PM
It's called "running them off their feet" in all sports.
Pretty much the way this game has gone and the coaches whom are proactive in this will be most successful.
Goodnight to the likes of Bennett and bring on the rule of Brennan.

TITAN PETE
09-03-18, 07:28 AM
What are peoples thoughts on the up coming game? Who's tipping us to start the season with a win? I think we can blind side them. Hopefully grind out a win, just need to keep that ball away from their backline.

We need to win it & I believe we will

Toads
10-03-18, 09:05 AM
Glad to see Sami named, was concerned he may have got pushed aside with the purchases and reshuffle over the off season.

I'm with you, Pete. I reckon we got their measure. We just might have to work their edges though. :D

JunctionBlock
10-03-18, 09:38 AM
I don't think Sami will be there when others are back from injury (Lee and Elliot).

DIEHARD
10-03-18, 11:26 AM
Tickets on sale here: http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/Show.aspx?sh=TIT0118

DIEHARD
10-03-18, 11:36 AM
James seen as a danger
http://www.couriermail.com.au

THE Titans will stick solid with a promise to play entertaining footy and unleash captain Ryan James as a widerunning forward.

James (pictured) will start in the back row in tomorrow’s NRL Round 1 clash against Canberra at Cbus Super Stadium despite the Gold Coast battling a shortage of props.

With Jarrod Wallace and Keegan Hipgrave suspended, and Jack Stockwell (shoulder) injured, coach Garth Brennan will start with a front row combination of Jai Arrow and Leilani Latu.

Arrow, 22, made one starting appearance in the front row during his 24-game Broncos career while Latu started in 14 of 49 games at Penrith.

Brennan said James would spend some time in the front row, but the rookie coach is determined to use him as a backrower on the left edge.

“He brings a real threat,” Brennan said.

James, 26, equalled the record for the most tries scored in a season by a front rower when he crossed 12 times in 2016. Prop Morgan Boyle will make his first appearance this season from the bench after overcoming a shoulder injury.

DIEHARD
10-03-18, 12:04 PM
THE TFH-branded Titans jersey is not the only new look Gold Coast players will be donning against Canberra tomorrow night.

The Titans will sport the colours of their respective junior clubs with the socks they wear out onto Cbus Super Stadium.

It’s part of an initiative to promote junior sign-on days ahead of the grassroots rugby league season.

The socks will show off the Titans’ strong homegrown links, with seven players representing clubs from either the Rugby League Gold Coast or Northern Rivers Regional Rugby League competitions.

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

DIEHARD
10-03-18, 12:04 PM
Rivals admit shock over a call to snub Austin

RICKY Stuart’s shock ploy to bench Canberra star Blake Austin even took his Gold Coast counterpart Garth Brennan by surprise.

Austin has been a central figure at the Raiders for years now but was overlooked for a starting halves spot, with Aidan Sezer and Sam Williams instead given first crack.

Austin will wear the No.14 at Cbus Super Stadium tomorrow night.

Stuart has opted to include three halves in his side plus hooker Siliva Havili as they try to cover for injured English rake Josh Hodgson.

“Yeah it probably did (surprise me) a bit,” Brennan said, two days before his first NRL game in charge of the Titans.

“Blake is a class player. I had a bit to do with Blake at Penrith when I first went there and he is a quality player, and himself and Sezer have had a strong combination over the last few years.”

He is wary of Williams though, who has returned from the English Super League after six seasons as an NRL fringe playmaker.

“Sam Williams has been there I think three times so he knows the club, he knows the players. He controls the game very well,” Brennan said.

“I think they have got a really good mix there with what they are doing.

“Obviously there’s some possibility that one of their halves may end up going to nine but I’m not too concerned about Canberra, it’s more about us and that’s what we’ve focused on all week.

“They are a threat, there’s no doubt about that and we are well aware of that, but we need to get our own backyard in order … if we can do that, we can be a threat to anyone else and they can worry about us.”

The match starts at 5.30pm.

Dooldog76
10-03-18, 12:38 PM
Ok, I’m kicking off with my blind optimism again, but I am really keen to see how we go. The back row of proctor, James and Cartwright is one of the best we’ve had, certainly up there compared to when we had Harrison and bird in their prime playing in the back row. In Gordon, we have a solid fullback, something we haven’t had since Campbell in my opinion. We have a solid halves pairing, I’m just hoping the gel and work together. Although I really liked Tyrone Roberts I also believe he was definitely responsible in part for Taylor and Elgey not clicking. Our left side is a worry, but we just need to play like the team that was playing before “fly boy” came and as long as we are competitive, I see that as an improvement. I can’t wait to see the style of play that Brennan has been working on and I am looking forward to seeing a win in the stands on Sunday. Can’t wait.

DavidBouveng
10-03-18, 08:57 PM
super pumped as well Dooldog

I did see today that James and Elgey together have a better bond and will defend better i beleive as they are very close and played together a fair bit.

LG correctly points out that while he missed plenty of tackles, he often had a new centre and second rower pairing ever few weeks and it was hard to build any trust or continuity.

Im hoping James' strength and fire can help LG out plenty and he goes well.

Because while Ash is our Money man, LG had a more outstanding patch of games in his rookie year than Ash ever has, and if he fires and complements Ash's kicking and organisation well we are cooking.

Titanic Believer
10-03-18, 10:02 PM
I love the optimism. But having seen a few games this weekend I feel that our backline defense will be our undoing this year though the forwards look solid if they work hard for each other. Apart from a fragile Hurrell I don't think we are much of a threat out wide and have little depth. Still, bring on the season and prove me wrong.

Upthetits
11-03-18, 01:41 AM
We had the same backkline as last year and were in a lot of games but destroyed by injuries. We have points in us we if stay injury free (which I'm hoping we will down to new found fitness from Hayden Knowles) will go well. It may take a bit but we have never had more attacking options. It's a long season we need a good run. I may be optimistic but we weren't far off and if we play with heart anythings possible. The tigers defence kept them in it which was all heart, their ability to throw the ball around won them the game. If we can show up in defence anything is possible.

Dooldog76
11-03-18, 09:24 AM
Now with the knights, tigers and warriors getting wins, it puts a little bit of pressure on us I think.

ja4220
11-03-18, 09:27 AM
LG correctly points out that while he missed plenty of tackles, he often had a new centre and second rower pairing ever few weeks and it was hard to build any trust or continuity.

I think if you look in to it , in the big picture, Elg was far from the worst half in the comp as far as missed tackles. From memory our 3 halves from last year were all somewhere around the 45 to 55 mark. Far below people like Maloney who were closer to 80 from memory (can’t find the stats on the new nrl site.)
Kane gets a called out because of some highly visible misses, name Coen Hess, but as has been pointed out they were just as much a failing in the defensive system as big versus small.
I hope he has a great year, I like many others have watched him through Juniors, watched him debut and felt for h8m when he did his knee.

Mr Bods
11-03-18, 10:00 AM
Now with the knights, tigers and warriors getting wins, it puts a little bit of pressure on us I think.

Today is a must win given our draw.

Mr Bods
11-03-18, 03:14 PM
What the hell, the forecast was it would be dry this arvo and there’s nothing on the Radar yet it’s pouring here at Currumbin and on the TV it’s pouring at the Suns game in Southport.

DIEHARD
11-03-18, 04:10 PM
Titans v Raiders teams: Line-ups for Round 1 clash
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au

TITANS v RAIDERS: The teams are in for the Round 1 clash between Gold Coast and Canberra.

TITANS V RAIDERS

SUNDAY, 6.30PM (AEDT), CBUS SUPER STADIUM

TITANS

1 Michael Gordon

2 Anthony Don

3 Dale Copley

4 Konrad Hurrell

5 Phillip Sami

6 Kane Elgey

7 Ashley Taylor

8 Jai Arrow

9 Nathan Peats

10 Leilani Latu

11 Kevin Proctor

12 Ryan James (c)

13 Bryce Cartwright.

Interchange:

14 Mitch Rein

15 Max King

16 Will Matthews

17 Morgan Boyle

18 Joe Greenwood

19 Jai Whitbread

20 Tyronne Roberts Davis

21 Aj Brimson

Players cut: To come

Late Mail: To come

RAIDERS

1 Jack Wighton

2 Nick Cotric

3 Jarrod Croker (c)

4 Joseph Leilua

5 Jordan Rapana

14 Blake Austin

7 Sam Williams

8 Junior Paulo

9 Siliva Havili

10 Shannon Boyd

11 Josh Papalii

12 Joseph Tapine

13 Elliott Whitehead.

Interchange:

6 Aidan Sezer

15 Luke Bateman

16 Dunamis Lui

17 Iosia Soliola

Players cut: Charlie Gubb, Brad Abbey, Royce Hunt, Craig Garvey

Late Mail: Ricky Stuart will make one major change to his line-up for the Raiders’ round one clash against the Titans with Blake Austin to replace Aidan Sezer at five-eighth. Sezer will start from the bench and is expected to spell Siliva Havili at hooker at some point in the clash against the Titans on the Gold Coast. Sezer spent time at dummy-half in Canberra’s trial match against the Bulldogs and is Stuart’s preferred option to spend time in the role after Craig Garvey ran out for feeder club Mounties. Austin partners Sam Williams in the halves in the only expected change to the side.

DIEHARD
11-03-18, 04:22 PM
NRL.com Preview

Titans v Raiders: Don returns, Austin benched
http://www.nrl.com

Despite battling pancreatitis, a shoulder reconstruction and a shoulder infection in the off-season, Anthony Don has been named to start on the wing by Gold Coast Titans coach Garth Brennan at Cbus Super Stadium this Sunday versus the Canberra Raiders.

On the other wing is Philip Sami, who has edged out fellow young gun Tyronne Roberts-Davis for the role. Forward recruits Jai Arrow and Leilani Latu will start in the front-row with Bryce Cartwright named at lock. Joe Greenwood drops off the bench with Max King and Will Matthews named on the bench. Mitch Rein has also been named on the bench at hooker.

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has named Siliva Havili to make his debut at hooker, beating Craig Garvey for the role, who is named in the reserves. Sam Williams has been named at halfback to play alongside Aidan Sezer, with Blake Austin a handy off the bench as the utility.

Joseph Tapine will start in the back-row and shifts Elliott Whitehead to lock and Iosia Soliola to the bench.

The Gold Coast Titans have had an injury-disrupted pre-season campaign but the late arrival of Penrith forward Bryce Cartwright gives them an extra dimension in attack, while Michael Gordon will be a stable influence at the back as well as a reliable goal kicker.

The key match-up: All eyes will be on the halves and the hookers in this game. Can Kane Elgey and Ash Taylor start off the season the right way? Will the Sam Williams over Blake Austin experiment work and how well will Siliva Havili fare in place of the injured Josh Hodgson?

For Canberra Raiders to win: Hold onto the ball. If the Raiders can do that they can put points on almost anybody in the competition with their backline that is buzzing with talent and ability to find the line.

For Gold Coast Titans to win: Senior players such as Ryan James and Bryce Cartwright will have to lead from the front as the side tries to gel amid massive player turnover this off-season.

Canberra Raiders stat attack: The side will be hoping to replicate their 87 per cent completion rate the last time the side's met in round six last year, which was their second highest completion rate for the season, resulting in a 42-16 victory.

Gold Coast Titans stat attack: A tough year for the Titans saw them win only four of their 12 home matches, while averaging less than 20 points a game. Gold Coast will also be hoping for much luck with injuries this season, having used 34 players and 10 rookies in 2017.

And another thing: This weekend mark's Ricky Stuart's 100th game in charge of the Raiders, while the man leading the Titans Garth Brennan is making his debut in the NRL.

Venue: Cbus Super Stadium

The prediction: Raiders by 12.

Cbus Super Stadium, Sunday March 11, 5.30pm (6.30pm AEDT)

Head-to-head: Played 20, Titans 11 wins, Raiders 9 wins.

Last five games:

Round 6, 2017; Canberra Raiders def. Gold Coast Titans 42-16.
Round 16, 2016; Canberra Raiders def. Gold Coast Titans 30-22.
Round 4, 2016; Gold Coast Titans def. Canberra Raiders 24-20.
Round 24, 2015; Gold Coast Titans def. Canberra Raiders 28-12.
Round 9, 2015; Canberra Raiders def. Gold Coast Titans 56-16.
2017 points per game: Titans 16.4; Raiders 22.4.

2017 points conceded per game:

Televised: Live on Fox League

Titans: 1 Michael Gordon, 2 Anthony Don, 3 Dale Copley, 4 Konrad Hurrell, 5 Phillip Sami, 6 Kane Elgey, 7 Ashley Taylor, 8 Jai Arrow, 9 Nathan Peats, 10 Leilani Latu, 11 Kevin Proctor, 12 Ryan James (c), 13 Bryce Cartwright

Interchange: 14 Mitch Rein, 15 Max King, 16 Will Matthews, 17 Morgan Boyle

Reserves: 18 Joe Greenwood, 19 Jai Whitbread, 20 Tyronne Roberts Davis, 21 Aj Brimson

Raiders: 1 Jack Wighton, 2 Nick Cotric, 3 Jarrod Croker (c), 4 Joseph Leilua, 5 Jordan Rapana, 6 Aiden Sezer, 7 Sam Williams, 8 Junior Paulo, 9 Siliva Havili, 10 Shannon Boyd, 11 Josh Papalii, 12 Joseph Tapine, 13 Elliott Whitehead

Interchange: 14 Blake Austin, 15 Luke Bateman, 16 Dunamis Lui, 17 Iosia Soliola

Reserves: 18 Charlie Gubb, 19 Brad Abbey, 20 Royce Hunt, 21 Craig Garvey

Match officials: Main referee: Henry Perenara, Assistant referee: Dave Munro, Touch judges: Adam Cassidy, Rohan Best.

JunctionBlock
11-03-18, 05:28 PM
Anyone else nervous?

ozynorts
11-03-18, 05:29 PM
Neil Henry is in the commentary box.

DIEHARD
11-03-18, 05:31 PM
Here we go... Good luck Titans.

DIEHARD
11-03-18, 05:31 PM
Neil Henry is in the commentary box.

Oh yes he is, that voice was familiar. That's a strange twist.

ozynorts
11-03-18, 05:36 PM
Not a good start boys.

Titanic
11-03-18, 05:37 PM
That was really ordinary ... from the pop-gun 6th tackle option and the easy meters to the terrible read.

JunctionBlock
11-03-18, 05:38 PM
How small does Arrow look compared to the other front row.

Can't get much of a worse start than letting a rookie hooker score against you and make it look easy.

ozynorts
11-03-18, 05:39 PM
Bryce you can shove those up your back door

- - - Updated - - -

Ouch this is painful

JunctionBlock
11-03-18, 05:40 PM
Terrible terrible. Making average players look good.

DIEHARD
11-03-18, 05:40 PM
Back to back tries to the Raiders. A terrible start. Poor defence.

ozynorts
11-03-18, 05:42 PM
Justin Hodges is not a commentator, take note please Foxtel

teke
11-03-18, 05:42 PM
Man oh man...

JunctionBlock
11-03-18, 05:43 PM
Just going to throw this in here because it's the last time we'll see it like this. Absolute rubbish.

https://i.imgur.com/5zCiHl7.png

ozynorts
11-03-18, 05:43 PM
Defense looks like Swiss cheese

rj62
11-03-18, 05:46 PM
What the hell.....money well spent ��

- - - Updated - - -

Be nice to see what we can actually do with the ball

ozynorts
11-03-18, 05:47 PM
That’s better

rj62
11-03-18, 05:48 PM
What we can do is score tries..... yeah boys

- - - Updated - - -

Jesus our defence is a worry

JunctionBlock
11-03-18, 05:49 PM
Phew. A glimmer...

Titanic
11-03-18, 05:49 PM
James lifted them with a big effort.

ozynorts
11-03-18, 05:51 PM
Nice work Koni

JunctionBlock
11-03-18, 06:02 PM
Latu is looking the goods. We need to learn how to play with carty too.

An exit set would have been nice. Hope Gordon didn't come here thinking he'd have a nice easy path to retirement. Poor blokes going to be one big bruise by the end of the season cleaning up this defences mistakes.

- - - Updated - - -

How good is it to have the blood pumping again. Back on the blood pressure meds I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Sooooo whinging to the ref does get him to change his mind?

lonegull
11-03-18, 06:04 PM
Our defence is woeful around the ruck Canberra big boopers will take this all game

DIEHARD
11-03-18, 06:04 PM
Well at least Neil Henry is enjoying the afternoon...

lonegull
11-03-18, 06:06 PM
Morgan Boyle only be out on the field for 5 minutes and already looks fatigued

gotitans101_
11-03-18, 06:07 PM
nope.

we are still a joke.

JunctionBlock
11-03-18, 06:08 PM
Nice kick. Hope we can capitalise inside their 20

Titanic Believer
11-03-18, 06:09 PM
LG being rag dolled by Tapine

JunctionBlock
11-03-18, 06:10 PM
Live in hope, die in despair.

lonegull
11-03-18, 06:13 PM
Have they trained as a team in the off season it doesn’t look like it

- - - Updated - - -

Keegan Hipgrave will be a welcome addition into the side

JunctionBlock
11-03-18, 06:14 PM
I'm screaming because I'm bemused at how Gordon couldn't just fall over the line and score and all of a sudden Ash and LG combine. Great work, looks like it's "I hope we can score more points than we let you score against us"

DIEHARD
11-03-18, 06:14 PM
Ooooo Gordon so close, but forced back... The agony.

Edit: LG scores off a Taylor kick.

We aren't licked yet. Half time approaches and we can pretend it's a new game.

rj62
11-03-18, 06:15 PM
Nice to have a kicker

JunctionBlock
Have they trained as a team in the off season it doesn’t look like it

- - - Updated - - -

Keegan Hipgrave will be a welcome addition into the side

And Wallace

ozynorts
LG being rag dolled by Tapine

With the amount of missed tackles and feeble attempts at defence and you pick out Elgey. Really?

JunctionBlock
11-03-18, 06:21 PM
Better than I thought we were going to be after those first 18 points. Thankfully Leilua dropped it over the line.

GCTTSD
Our middle defense is terrible, need either Mathews or arrow or hipgrace at lock and Carty coming off the bench as utility instead of rein

DIEHARD
Wow what a tackle by Matthews. Straight on the 2018 highlights reel, hell the NRL 2019 promo!

lonegull
11-03-18, 06:22 PM
Mitch rein added some spark when he came on the enthusiasm lifted you could see

rj62
11-03-18, 06:24 PM
Better than I thought we were going to be after those first 18 points. Thankfully Leilua dropped it over the line.

I thought we were looking at 50 by half time so I agree. What’s with proctors hands ??
Nice clouds coming over the ground too

Mr Bods
11-03-18, 06:27 PM
I feel like that 18-0 lead early was purely off the back of Canberra being more fired up and on a mission. While our blokes were thinking that they’d ease their way into it.
So disappointing.
Hope my next post after fulltime is one of Glory.

Titanic
11-03-18, 06:28 PM
Peats was absolutely pathetic but Rein made a huge difference. Also, I wasn't a fan of Matthews coming back but gee he's stiffened the defence right up. Arrow impressed me too and the backs have looked like ... well, like backs ... amazing.

First half pass applause also to: Koni, James, Taylor, Elgey, Gordon (go low to score mate), Copley and Matthews.

Coke Zero is living up to his name ... zero balance, runs hard, scores a try but drops every second pass.

Let's win the second half!

DIEHARD
11-03-18, 06:40 PM
I think we will turn things around the in the second half. Looking better.

JunctionBlock
11-03-18, 06:42 PM
Nicely done, thank god Rapana chose to watch that pass sail past out of reach.

DIEHARD
11-03-18, 06:42 PM
Hope we can convert this field position and opportunities. Three penalties in a row.

DIEHARD
11-03-18, 06:43 PM
Sami with the one handed dive to score. Here we come. Great pass by Taylor.

ozynorts
11-03-18, 06:51 PM
Nice pass by Elgey, Copley tried to mess it up. Cmon boys

JunctionBlock
11-03-18, 06:52 PM
Yew....

Seen more of Proctor this game than the entirety of last season. Good to see LG play with confidence too.

Boonarga
11-03-18, 06:52 PM
Very poor crowd. Must be the lowest I've seen.

JunctionBlock
11-03-18, 06:56 PM
Bit of luck going our way.....c'mon

DIEHARD
11-03-18, 06:57 PM
Hope Konrad is ok, doesn't look good but soldiering on.

DIEHARD
Very poor crowd. Must be the lowest I've seen.

Raiders aren't a good drawer, even though they have a loyal and visible fanbase.

Rain also wouldn't help.

Disappointed too.

ozynorts
Arrow is very impressive. Must go to 13 and Cartwright to the bench

NZTITAN
I think Jai Arrow might already be one of my all-time favourite players

JunctionBlock
11-03-18, 07:02 PM
This set will be brutal off our line

DIEHARD
11-03-18, 07:05 PM
Crowd really getting behind the team.

ozynorts
11-03-18, 07:05 PM
That’s BS, Rapana was offside

JunctionBlock
11-03-18, 07:09 PM
Jesus, the highs and lows. This game is crazy entertaining for a fan.

DIEHARD
11-03-18, 07:18 PM
Sweet six to go! Lets go Titans!

DIEHARD
11-03-18, 07:19 PM
WTF is Cartwright doing trying to be a hero. Passes to no one and then a flick pass.

ozynorts
11-03-18, 07:19 PM
Boooooommmmm

- - - Updated - - -

WTF is Cartwright doing trying to be a hero. Passes to no one and then a flick pass.

He has been ordinary

DIEHARD
11-03-18, 07:20 PM
Digital group huggggg!!! Konraddddd under the posts!!!! You beauty!!!

gotitans101_
11-03-18, 07:22 PM
Boooooommmmm

- - - Updated - - -

He has been ordinary

Hopefully Garth sets him straight after the game. No need for the rubbish he's pulled tonight.

ozynorts
11-03-18, 07:22 PM
Defibrillator please

lonegull
11-03-18, 07:23 PM
Bloody hell what a win great to see finally some pride and passion, our bench tonight was outstanding

DIEHARD
11-03-18, 07:24 PM
OH RUGBY LEAGUE!!!!!! TITANSSSS!

What a finish. Heart in my mouth stuff.

Well done boys! What a come back! Our 2018 campaign is on.

NZTITAN
11-03-18, 07:24 PM
that was one of the most fun games ive seen

lonegull
11-03-18, 07:25 PM
Arrow showed tonight what a player he is as I said in a post a week ago he is a diamond in the rough and don’t forget he didn’t play a trail so will only get better with the run
Mitch rein great of the bench along with Mathews and King

rj62
11-03-18, 07:28 PM
In Garth we trust

#thrunthru

You bloody beauty!!!!
I don’t want to leave

Titanic
11-03-18, 07:30 PM
Be hard to fault anyone in that so I choose my wife who when Koni scored went 20 wet, bedraggled feet in the air screaming and then asked “did we win?”

Great gutsy win, great season start and onya Coach Brennan and the new Board.

Boonarga
11-03-18, 07:30 PM
Oh dear. After a dozen minutes this looked like being the longest season ever. Plenty to like once we got some ball and those big green boppers slowed down. I'm not too down on Cartwright but Arrow must play in the 13.

Who is the guy that has taken over Will Matthew's body? Outstanding return to the club.

DIEHARD
11-03-18, 07:33 PM
Titans stage great escape to beat Raiders
http://www.nrl.com

The Gold Coast Titans have produced a remarkable fightback to claim an improbable 30-28 victory over the Canberra Raiders on Sunday night at Cbus Super Stadium.

Down 18-0 after the visitors started the game with a stunning three-try blitz in the first 12 minutes, the Titans mounted a stirring revival to tie it up at 24-24 with 18 minutes remaining.

Canberra broke the deadlock with Joseph Leilua’s 67th minute try off a cross-field bomb before Konrad Hurrell pounced onto a short kick to crash over under the posts to cap an amazing comeback.

The Raiders looked set for a comfortable win after bolting to an 18-0 lead, but the Titans regrouped to tie it up with 18 minutes remaining.

The Titans seemed to be in for a long afternoon when the Raiders exploded out of the blocks with tries to Saliva Havili, Jack Wighton and Elliott Whitehead.

Gold Coast eased the pressure with Kevin Proctor’s 13th minute try but the visitors were well on top when Aidan Sezer converted Junior Paulo’s try to make it 24-6 after 25 minutes.

Down but not out, the Titans bridged the gap with Kane Elgey’s 35th minute try for a 24-12 half-time score.

Mr Bods
11-03-18, 07:33 PM
Friggin epic
My next post did get to be one of Glory
Good times
Enjoy the night brothers and sisters of the Beautiful City

JunctionBlock
11-03-18, 07:36 PM
What a win. Complete turn around, back to the old 2016 team of never say die and play for the bloke standing next to you.
https://i.imgur.com/1cJCz8b.gif

BundyTitan
11-03-18, 07:43 PM
Well at least as Titans fans we are used to games that test our hearts like that. Seriously unbelievable to see us actually attacking with structures, which hasn't been seen for years. With the forwards gaining plenty of ground and the backs rolling off the back of it, we look so dangerous. Jai Arrow is an absolute machine, James lifted the team with strong carries and Elgey seemed to have his confidence back. Consistency is key for us. Started the game thinking "here we go again" but finished thinking that we could do some damage this year if we play like we did in the second half. Gotta love supporting the Titans.

Ausphin
11-03-18, 07:44 PM
So happy for the boys and Garth.

Like everyone else I thought here we go again after 15 minutes, but showed some real ticker.

Only 1 game but left edge defence was fine. Looked ordinary up the middle in defence, but cleaned that up in 2nd half.

Was really pleased with Ash and LG. Flash was solid at the back. But special mention to the following 4 who were immense:-

Jai Arrow - unbelievable. Must start in the middle, either prop or lock
Mitch Rein - really good. Peats was disappointing but Rein played big minutes and was great.
Will Matthews - can play either wide or in middle and worked hard
Max King - thought he was great. I thought when Hipgrave/Wallace come back he will be first to go but he was excellent tonight. Give him the nod over Boyle for next week.

So happy for the boys and Garth. Tough assignment against Warriors at home who looked good (and fit) yesterday.

JunctionBlock
11-03-18, 07:52 PM
It also brings happiness to my life that the Broncos are bottom of the ladder and that plodder Hayne was terrible for his special team.

psmitty
11-03-18, 08:05 PM
https://twitter.com/GCTitans/status/972772246115643397

teke
11-03-18, 08:06 PM
That's a nice solid foundation for Elgey and Taylor to spring off for the rest of the season, their connection was great and the attack is something not seen in this club for yrs.

I claimed Arrow first so he is mine !!

RavShamrock
11-03-18, 08:10 PM
Guts effort…
Ryan James turned things around once sent to the middle (man of the match IMHO)
Rein was better than Peats.
Best - James, Arrow, King, Mathews, Hurrell, Rein
Below par - Boyle, Latu, Peats, Cartwright

TitansState
11-03-18, 08:21 PM
Good game and effort at the end. Cartwright's flick pass to the ground at the end of the game was very high iq play. It threw the Raiders off. They were all like what the hell is this guy doing and soon after we score. ����

TITAN PETE
11-03-18, 08:32 PM
I Agee with you Rav , James was the best on field & probably his best ever game for the club , zero rubbish he just played footy
31 quality tackles
19 hit ups for 197 metres , he was awesome & without a doubt him going to the middle & Rein replacing Peats turned the game , Boyle,Mathews & King off the bench were great & Arrow must go to 13 , Latu is a bench player not a starter he's too slow around the ruck & was found out, all in all we didn't have a bad player except for Peats his 1st 20 is something you will never see him do again I'm sure,,,Sami has a wing spot to lose the kid has plenty of talent & his weight gain is very noticeable

We had 60% of the pill so we should have won the match & im very thankful I was there to watch it live :)

rj62
11-03-18, 08:35 PM
It also brings happiness to my life that the Broncos are bottom of the ladder and that plodder Hayne was terrible for his special team.

That’s the sweet kicker.......Brisbane last and Hayne, failure...... love it x 2

Ausphin
11-03-18, 08:40 PM
Good game and effort at the end. Cartwright's flick pass to the ground at the end of the game was very high iq play. It threw the Raiders off. They were all like what the hell is this guy doing and soon after we score. ����

Lol. I think we are going to have to take our lumps with Cartwright. Looks dangerous with ball in hand but needs to improve his defence.

I think if Arrow adds some kgs him and Wallace can be our starting props for a long time to come. Originally I wanted him for lock too, but I think Cartwright adds something in attack that we haven't had for a long time.

James was great tonight but still want to see him on the edge.

Hard to see any changes next week (Wallace still suspended), but I could see Hipgarve coming on the bench instead of Boyle.

DavidBouveng
11-03-18, 08:47 PM
everyone hear has nailed it about Arrow being an absolute standout, and Rein change the team when he came on.

King was great, him and Jai Arrow were tough as hell together, and Matthews played like i didn't know he could.

but the supreme leader Ryan James was EPIC. he moved into the middle, snapped anyone who came his way in half, made bullocking runs all night ( the hard ones too), i could not have been more impressed.

Special mention to Kane and Ash who combined really well at times, and you could see they had a plan and some structures for the entire set and communicated it well.

Koni was king of the backs and ran hard all night too, but all of them did a good job including Sami and Copley. gordon Looked to sweep and ball play more than i realised he could, and once we get more continuity it will flow better i think.

Only disappointment was Carty and his defence ( Makes Kane look like Cement Gillespie )and questionable ball control, although once he moved into a first receiver role he looked better and was giving good shifts to Ash and Kane behind the lead runner. Lets let him warm up and assess after half a season. When Wallace is back i believe Arrow gets the 13 and Carty has to show his wares from the bench for a bit.

two thing i have mentioned previously, but cant be bothered finding is that Garth's decision to play rookies in the first trial really impacted our cohesion and really should have cost us that win. in defence there was no confidence or trust. By second half they were combining well in 2 and 3 man tackles jamming blokes hard.

Secondly - and i've said this for a couple of years but we are a shootout team. Scores are is gonna be 34-30, 36-28, and sometimes higher and we need to score more than most cos we cant defend.

If Garth can, and i think he can, build a defensive structure and tackling techniques that can reduce the tries we let in over next season or two, we are going to be cooking, as our attack should only improve as Ash, Kane, Peats, Koni, Same etc grow and develop.

Titanic
11-03-18, 08:51 PM
That’s the sweet kicker.......Brisbane last and Hayne, failure...... love it x 2and how did DCE go?lololol

I forgot to mention that we looked intimidated by their forwards for a long period. Coke Zero fondling Rap-a-na-na’s jatz crackers changed the complexion of the game ... looked like he was in up to his wrist :)

gothabull
11-03-18, 08:52 PM
That’s the sweet kicker.......Brisbane last and Hayne, failure...... love it x 2

So happy Kane and eldgey kicked some srs yewwww!

Titanic Believer
11-03-18, 09:00 PM
Great win and we can only get better as combinations build. In the early stages I would have been satisfied with getting close because I started thinking there have been so many changes in personnell that their understanding of each other would be limited in actual match conditions. So to get a win...wow.

Mexican titan
11-03-18, 09:17 PM
Interesting reading the comments on here at half time and then now when I get home. The Raiders should have had that game in the bag by half time but I thought their big side might hit the wall if we got a mountain of second half possession which happened.
It was great to see LG and Taylor's attacking skills on show and I agree with whoever said we should just cop Cartwright at the moment because he will add something we haven't had for a while. Sure he did a couple of dumb things and his defence was poor but he threw some great passes to LG and AT when he took first pass off the ruck.
But for all that, James had an unbelievable second half and we got home largely on the back of him. That was a real captains knock when we needed him to stand up.
That we won in the end probably covered over some of the first half debacle but it will be an interesting ride this year.

rj62
11-03-18, 09:43 PM
Where is Andrew Voss?

Tosser

Titanic Believer
11-03-18, 09:50 PM
Happy for a win but 46 missed tackles...a fair bit of work to do.

gothabull
11-03-18, 11:39 PM
Where is Andrew Voss?

Tosser

Yes he is , and how good was koni he was outstanding tonite his run up on Crocker was awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

The boys seriously just needed to tackle there steroid legs lower in the first 10 minutes��

Toads
12-03-18, 12:20 AM
First 10 minutes (3 tries) was a cringe-fest, was worried they were going t put 50 on us at that stage, but the lads did eventually come around. And the second half was good to see us finally wear them down and grind out a win. Most impressive bit of the night, all the the lads were there for the full 80 minutes. For the last few years we'd have a few that would switch off. They're showing renewed ticker under Brennan's guidance.

Koni fitness has gone above and beyond I thought he could ever reach, especially when reflecting back on what he was like when he first joined us. Back then, 10 minutes of solid running would pretty well see him gassed for rest of the game. That was the surprise of the night. :)

Good way to start off the season, wore the Raiders down 'n bagged 2 points two points for the effort. Bring on the Warriors.!

Canon
12-03-18, 07:38 AM
What a win. Complete turn around, back to the old 2016 team of never say die and play for the bloke standing next to you.

...and let the oppostition score 2-3 tries before you start! That part I could do without , but they looked really sharp with the ball tonight. Promising!

JunctionBlock
12-03-18, 07:53 AM
...and let the oppostition score 2-3 tries before you start! That part I could do without , but they looked really sharp with the ball tonight. Promising!

True, it is a roller coaster being a Titans fan.

Carty's little flick passes may have been ill timed on the weekend but it's how he plays, coach and players should be aware of it and use it to our advantage. It worked at Penrith, he needs someone aware to push up with him, he's also an offload king. At the risk of being battered, I found Koni kicking option to be just as frustrating, but he won the game for us so he's all good.

Canon
12-03-18, 08:16 AM
True, it is a roller coaster being a Titans fan.

Carty's little flick passes may have been ill timed on the weekend but it's how he plays, coach and players should be aware of it and use it to our advantage. It worked at Penrith, he needs someone aware to push up with him, he's also an offload king. At the risk of being battered, I found Koni kicking option to be just as frustrating, but he won the game for us so he's all good.

I really think Carty is going to open up the game for the Titans attack. Last night Talyor and Elgey really combined well but when they're on the same side of the ruck the opposition knows where it's going. Having a lock that can ballplay on the other side keeps the defence off balance and keeps some of the heat off the halves. He was ordinary last night but there were glimpses a couple fo times when the Titans were on the attack (and he's only been here a couple of weeks).

Bayside Titan
12-03-18, 09:54 AM
Good first up win and like others was questioning my logic in driving down the M1 to watch the first 15 minutes. But as the the Titans attitude before Hayne signed started to come through. The injection of the likes of King, Boyle and Matthews was great. They didn’t do anything special but did a great job. Matthews put on two great hits just to remind us all that he has something to offer the club. But for mine Arrow and James were great. Anyhow , tick , round one done and 25 to go. Hipgrave must comeback into the squad who sits out ?

gotitans101_
12-03-18, 10:11 AM
What did Vossy do or say? Why is he a tosser?

Upthetits
12-03-18, 03:59 PM
Morgan Boyle is a big body but from what I saw he didn't offer much. Would probably drop him for hipgrave, love the aggression he brings. Felt Mathew's added more defensive stability, king and rein were better than I expected.

Titanic
12-03-18, 11:16 PM
Not even a mention from Ikin that I could hear on NRL360.

Menoitios
13-03-18, 07:16 AM
Rein was the surprise for me. I wonder if Peats is carrying some sort of niggling injury? Out of the two of them, Rein was far more effective.

Come on Peatsty, time to rise to the challenge, mate! This in house hooker battle could turn out great for us. Two blokes, both very competitive and determined to make a bigger impact than each other. Peats with his defence to start and Rein to come on and carve up the opposition once they start to lag.

Another bloke that needs a mention......Latu. He looks like he's dropped a bit of weight and played long minutes, considering the little bursts from the bench he used to do at Penrith. I hope it doesn't become the norm for him, but those couple of passes he threw just before he hit the defensive line were good too. Shows he isn't just a big lumbering front rower.

JunctionBlock
13-03-18, 10:29 AM
Rein was the surprise for me. I wonder if Peats is carrying some sort of niggling injury? Out of the two of them, Rein was far more effective.

Come on Peatsty, time to rise to the challenge, mate! This in house hooker battle could turn out great for us. Two blokes, both very competitive and determined to make a bigger impact than each other. Peats with his defence to start and Rein to come on and carve up the opposition once they start to lag.

Another bloke that needs a mention......Latu. He looks like he's dropped a bit of weight and played long minutes, considering the little bursts from the bench he used to do at Penrith. I hope it doesn't become the norm for him, but those couple of passes he threw just before he hit the defensive line were good too. Shows he isn't just a big lumbering front rower.

Don't forget Peats is coming back from shoulder injury and only played in one of the two trial matches. Latu played for 40 mins on the weekend.

Menoitios
13-03-18, 11:34 AM
Don't forget Peats is coming back from shoulder injury and only played in one of the two trial matches. Latu played for 40 mins on the weekend.

I can't wait for Peats to hit full fitness then. What a dynamic duo they'll make. Will keep the opposition honest in attack and defence.

Latu has something about him I really like. I think he'll take his game to another level this year.

JunctionBlock
13-03-18, 12:03 PM
Agreed on Peats and Rein, killer combo.

Latu needs to lift his work rate though if he's only on the field for 40 mins. 15 tackles, 8 hitups for 49 metres. But like you said, he's also willing to pass at the line. (Maybe I'm bitter because he's in my supercoach team)

Titanic
13-03-18, 04:53 PM
Latu needs to stop racing up out of the line in defence.

gotitans101_
13-03-18, 08:37 PM
Agreed on Peats and Rein, killer combo.

Latu needs to lift his work rate though if he's only on the field for 40 mins. 15 tackles, 8 hitups for 49 metres. But like you said, he's also willing to pass at the line. (Maybe I'm bitter because he's in my supercoach team)

yep me too, and tempted to get rid of him for someone whose actually gonna make me some cash.

Menoitios
13-03-18, 09:04 PM
Latu needs to stop racing up out of the line in defence.

Nah mate, La2 (that saved me feck all time!) is showing his eagerness to meet the opposition. If the rest of the slack bastards in the defensive line would move up with him we'd be dominating without the ball.

That's my attempt at levity. As you all get to know me you'll see that I enjoy the funny side of life. That and seeing the Bronco's lose.

No wait...same/same. LOL!

DIEHARD
13-03-18, 10:09 PM
Taylored win sets tone

ASH Taylor believes his Titans side can use elements of their Round 1 victory as a blueprint to stopping one of the NRL’s worst hoodoos.

Gold Coast’s record against the Warriors is diabolical.

They have one win from the past 14 NRL clashes between the teams, despite the Auckland club making the top eight only once in that period.

The Titans’ last head-tohead victory came in April 2015. Before that it was September 2010.

The Warriors landed another mental blow by taking the honours in a pre-season trial on the Sunshine Coast two weeks ago.

But Taylor feels their 30-28 triumph against the Raiders acted as an ideal preview to what they can expect at Mt Smart Stadium this Saturday.

“I think they are similar to Canberra,” Taylor said of the Warriors.

“They have some size up front and some big outside backs that get some momentum for them.

“We have just got to work hard on the stuff that we didn’t do right and things that we can adjust to prepare for the Warriors as well as we can.”

Taylor will be high on confidence after producing the perfect response to coach Garth Brennan’s challenge to channel his idol Johnathan Thurston by coming up with the right play at the right time.

Brennan’s comments had come after their scratchy trial loss to the Warriors on the same weekend a piece of JT magic stole victory for North Queensland against Melbourne.

Fast forward to Round 1 with two competition points on the line and Taylor delivered his own stroke of genius, a tricky grubber that found centre Konrad Hurrell.

Brennan insists the young playmaker has room for improvement, such as in his game management, but praised his courage and fast learning.

“He dug in and finished the game well and came up with that big play at the end,” Brennan said.

Taylor himself said he had been inspired by his teammates’ never-say-die attitude in an effort that reminded him of their 38-36 win over Melbourne last season.

“There was about eight minutes to go and we said there is plenty of time. We kept calm and just played footy,” Taylor said.

C-Whiz
15-03-18, 04:59 PM
I was right behind our goal posts for this game and cringed as I watched that first try, then shock and dsbelief after 10 minutes.

I didn;t even bother giving anyone a gobful, I was just devo'd. Started thinking about 2019, but by halftime I thought we looked like we could make a game of it. In the end we got the win but more importantly we showed some good footy and probably had another couple of tries in us.

I'm hoping we tighten up that middle/ruck defense moving forward but I did like some of the ball movement in attack. No polish yet but at least it looks like we are going to have a crack this year.