PDA

View Full Version : Tweed Heads Seagulls 2018

mdrew
04-01-18, 07:48 PM
As per QRL.com.au

Tweed Heads Seagulls Gains and Losses 2018

Gains: Hiale Roycroft (North Queensland Cowboys NYC), Jacob Pottinger (Mackay Cutters), Beau Cordtz (South Sydney NYC), Cheyne Whiteaw (North Sydney Bears), Rory Lillis (Gold Coast Titans NYC), Ethan Roberts (Gold Coast Titans NYC), Eli Levido (Nth Sydney Bears), Rhys Jacks (Toronto Wolfpack)

Losses: Nick Harrold (Tugun), Carne Doyle-Manga (Norths Devils), Phoenix Hunapo (Norths Devils)

Mr Bods
04-01-18, 07:52 PM
^^^ anyone in particular that Seagulls fans should be excited about?

mdrew
04-01-18, 09:04 PM
Second rower Hiale Roycroft who represented QLd U20's in 2017 as well as playing a number of Queensland Cup matches is a tough hard powerful young man to watch and front rower Cheyne Whiteaw could surprise.

I was surprised Hiale Roycroft did not get a Cowboys Development deal but their loss

^^^ anyone in particular that Seagulls fans should be excited about?

ALX25
04-01-18, 09:16 PM
Definitely Levido, surprised he didn't stick around at the Bears/Rabbitohs.

mdrew
30-01-18, 06:31 PM
A couple of additional players who will be looking to break into the Teed Heads Seagulls Queensland Cup side are recently signings Theo Hippi (second row) and Kainoa Gudgeon (wing)

ALX25
28-02-18, 12:18 AM
https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/28059179_1818373031515967_1908536959476989716_n.pn g?oh=d99efd28265b9300f678c02a4f88f25d&oe=5B0145BA

DIEHARD
13-03-18, 11:13 PM
WHITELAW RAISES THE BAR FOR SEAGULLS
http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/13..4.jpg

Tweed Heads captain Cheyne Whitelaw has set new benchmarks for the Seagulls this season.

ASK Tweed Heads Seagulls boss Matthew Jobson what he thinks of the club’s new captain, and what you’ll get is the affirmation of a man supremely confident in another’s leadership qualities.

That man is Cheyne Whitelaw, the freshly anointed captain of the Intrust Super Cup club, who, with being handed the role has received a resounding endorsement from his teammates, coaches and the club.

Jobson said Whitelaw’s attitude had simply blown everyone at the club away since he was recruited from North Sydney Bears in the off-season.

“In off-season training, Cheyne has simply been the benchmark for everything we’ve done,” Jobson said.

“Coaches, off-field staff and everyone at the club have been so impressed with him, his attitude to training and impact on the group. Cheyne has been a standout in every aspect of training and preparation and it was an easy choice in the end.

“ He’s also incredibly experienced at this level, having made the NSW Cup team last year.”

In promoting Whitelaw, 2017 incumbent Sam Meskell joins the club’s reigning player of the year, Lamar Liolevave, as vice-captains.

“That’s an excellent leadership group,” Jobson said.

Tweed’s ISC campaign began on Sunday with a 24-12 loss to Norths Devils. They travel to Souths Logan at 3pm on Sunday for Round 2.

DIEHARD
22-03-18, 09:11 PM
Seagulls to lose centre
http://www.goldcoast.com.au

TWEED Heads have been dealt a major blow ahead of their Gold Coast Intrust Super Cup derby against Burleigh with talented centre Brayden McGrady rubbed out for the next three matches.

McGrady was charged with a grade three dangerous throw during the second half of Tweed’s 28-10 loss to Souths Logan on Sunday.

The Seagulls minimised damage by accepting the early guilty plea of three weeks, rather than risking a five-game ban had they unsuccessful fought the charge.

Burleigh won’t have their full cavalry available either with Matt White still sidelined due to a two-game suspension.

DIEHARD
22-03-18, 09:23 PM
http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/21.1.jpg

DIEHARD
24-03-18, 04:04 PM
Selfless offer says it all - Tweed impressed by new captain’s dedication

A 22-year-old who has not even played a trial game in club colours might not seem like the ideal candidate to elevate into the captaincy.

Yet one conversation alone sums up exactly why Cheyne Whitelaw – who will lead Tweed Heads out for the first time today at lock against Burleigh, despite not being named – was the prime choice.

At the Seagulls’ season launch earlier this month, new chief executive Matt Jobson announced the club’s intentions to get involved with local charity programs and mentoring, though exact plans are still to be refined.

“The next week Cheyne came and saw me off his own bat and said, ‘I heard what you said at the launch – I’ve got some really big off-field goals myself, I’d love to get involved’,” Jobson said. “He wanted to donate some of his playing fee. He wanted any involvement he could possibly have.

“I said, ‘hold off on the donation of the playing fee; you don’t make enough money’, but what we are trying to do is have a mentoring program, a bit of a support outreach program – whatever shape that looks – and he said ‘mate, that’s fantastic’. “He is a fantastic kid … he has got leadership written all over him.”

Whitelaw joined Tweed in the off-season from Rabbitohs feeder club North Sydney.

“Footy is a massive, huge goal of mine but me moving up from Sydney wasn’t just about that – it was also about ticking a few other boxes,” he said.

“I wanted to contribute either my money or time towards charity this year.

“I’m also trying to encourage the boys to get around the community and build a community in Tweed, which apparently they have lost a little bit in the last couple of years.”

Whitelaw missed the first two rounds of the Intrust Super Cup season after dislocating his left wrist in Gold Coast’s NRL trial against Brisbane last month.

DIEHARD
29-03-18, 10:39 AM
Young prop ticks boxes at Seagulls

MOEAKI Fotuaika has been turning heads in his introduction to senior football but Tweed Heads coach Ben Woolf is not getting carried away, telling the teen prop to work on his defence.

After a big pre-season, he has been testing himself in the starting front-row for Intrust Super Cup side Tweed Heads and has not let anyone down. Woolf praised the young gun for not taking a backward step against Burleigh’s hardened forward pack during the Seagulls’ 32-12 loss on Saturday.

Room for improvement remains but Fotuaika is ticking the boxes.

“He has got some defensive issues and effort issues at times but they are things you learn,” Woolf said. “I went through some stuff with him on Friday.”

Tweed face Papua New Guinea abroad on Sunday.

DIEHARD
31-03-18, 02:15 PM
WINGER-TURNED-PROP ON FOR GULLS TRIFECTA

TRISTAN Lumley has made the ultimate rugby league transition and now he wants to build on an unusual record in his Tweed career.

Lumley burst onto the under-20s as a winger for Brisbane and thought the outside backs would forever be his territory.

But with each passing year he has moved closer to the point where he is now a regular starting Intrust Super Cup prop for the Seagulls, despite only tipping the scales at 103kg – and that’s after stacking on 5kg in the off-season.

“I’m usually a backrower now but Woolfy (Tweed coach Ben Woolf) asked me if I wanted to play front-row and I said ‘yeah, no worries, I’ll take the challenge’ and the last three games I thought I have gone pretty well,” Lumley said.

He produced his best effort yet last weekend against Burleigh, taking on the likes of Luke Page to earn praise from Woolf.

Another fearsome challenge awaits tomorrow when Tweed face the Hunters in Port Moresby.

Strangely, though, the premiers are the only team Lumley has defeated since joining the Seagulls midway through last year.

While winless against the other 12 clubs, Lumley and Tweed have combined to be two-from-two against the Hunters in 2017 – first in PNG by 14-10 and then by 26-18 at Piggabeen in Round 25 to avoid the wooden spoon.

Now the 25-year-old painter is on the hunt to extend that winning record.

“I know what we have got to do,” he said. “All we have to do is complete our sets, kick the ball out so we can get set restarts because their back three are dangerous and see how we go.

“They have only won one game this year so we have got to go over there thinking we can win it.”

For cross-town rivals Burleigh, they will be out to extend their unbeaten start to the season which has them sitting atop the ladder.

The Bears, who may have Titans centre Brenko Lee on deck pending fitness, host the Magpies today at 4pm.

Mr Bods
02-04-18, 01:10 PM
Seagulls are close to being uncompetitive.

DIEHARD
06-04-18, 05:40 PM
LONE WOOLF IN TIPS

TWEED Heads Seagulls coach Ben Woolf found himself in hot water with the Gold Coast Titans recently.

Woolf, a former Titans under-20s coach, tipped against the Titans in a newspaper tipping competition when they faced the New Zealand Warriors in Auckland.

Woolf was correct as the Warriors beat the Titans, but it did not go down well with heavy-hitters at the Titans, who are Tweed Heads’ feeder club and provide NRL-contracted players to the Seagulls.

It’s safe to say he probably won’t be tipping against the Titans again this season and will be going with his heart rather than his head for the Gold Coast.

http://www.couriermail.com.au

TITAN PETE
07-04-18, 02:49 PM
The Seagulls are rubbish today with Latu & Simpkins looking out of touch with this grade

Great to see young Woolfy playing for his uncle against his dad ....... There's probably only a few on here that will know how good this kid could be , great to see he's moved from the Donkeys to the Cows

mdrew
07-04-18, 03:42 PM
One of the few positives for Tweed Heads today was the play of AJ Brimson who was back at fullback and had his best match of the season.

Agree with you about young Woolf mate if he can stay injury free he could be anything

TITAN PETE
07-04-18, 11:51 PM
One of the few positives for Tweed Heads today was the play of AJ Brimson who was back at fullback and had his best match of the season.

Agree with you about young Woolf mate if he can stay injury free he could be anything

I think he's far better right now than Nikkorema is right now but I knew you would be probably the only one who's familiar with the kids ability

DIEHARD
14-04-18, 02:07 PM
Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Tweed Heads Seagulls
http://www.qrl.com.au

BMD Kougari Oval on Saturday, April 14 – 7pm
Head-to-Head: Wynnum 20 Tweed 15
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #WYNvTHS
Livestream: Seagulls TV (https://livestream.com/accounts/9436031/events/8151931)

The competition’s two ‘Seagulls’ cross flight paths in a crucial match for both sides in a match-up that has been dubbed ‘the flockbuster’.

Tweed is yet to get off the mark after five losses, while the Gulls from Wynnum Manly slipped down the ladder last week after a shock 40-6 loss to Souths Logan.

Wynnum will relish a return to the bayside to play in front of a vocal home crowd, where they have beaten Tweed Heads in the past four encounters at BMD Kougari Oval.

Although soundly beaten in the end by Townsville last week, the Tweed did push the Blackhawks and were unlucky not to put more points on the board, particularly via the dangerous AJ Brimson who came agonisingly close to scoring on several occasions.

Ethan Roberts was named in the 6 for Tweed Heads earlier this week, but will miss this matching having made an early guilty plea for a shoulder charge.

mdrew
14-04-18, 08:33 PM
26-22 win for Tweed Heads in Round Six against Wynnum Manly with Titans Development contract player Kiah Cooper with a try and Titans Top 30 contracted AJ Brimson also scoring.

Former Titans NYC player Braydon McGrady with the match winning try in the last minute

Hail Sezer
15-04-18, 09:11 AM
26-22 win for Tweed Heads in Round Six against Wynnum Manly with Titans Development contract player Kiah Cooper with a try and Titans Top 30 contracted AJ Brimson also scoring.

Former Titans NYC player Braydon McGrady with the match winning try in the last minute

Brimsonnwas outstanding at fullback. Much better than in the halves.

DIEHARD
15-04-18, 01:02 PM
Lucky strike hands Tweed Heads win
https://www.qrl.com.au/

A field goal gone wrong was just the luck the Tweed Heads Seagulls needed to break their duck this season – with the side scoring in the last minute of play to overcome Wynnum Manly 26-20.

Despite suffering some heavy losses this year – both Gulls always lift for what has become known as the ‘flockbuster’ – and their Round 6 encounter was no different.

In a game that saw plenty of entertaining play and two key sin binnings (Wynnum’s Payne Haas in the 24th minute and Ryland Jacobs in the 64th); scores were locked at 22-22 with just over a minute and half remaining.

The ball went to Eli Levido, whose field goal attempt hit the right upright before being regathered by Lindon McGrady, who then kicked out to the right wing where cousin Brayden McGrady scooped it up and ran in the match-winner.

It was Brayden’s third try of the night and he was mobbed by team-mates as they celebrated their first win.

Earlier in the evening, it had seemed that the home Seagulls were on track to continue their recent domination over Tweed Heads at BMD Kougari Oval where they had won the past four encounters.

After Tweed Heads gave up back-to-back penalties; the home team were able to convert them into an easy try to Mitchell Frei in the 13th minute on the left-hand side after running through the line.

This was followed up only three minutes later by hard-running forward Til Vea on the other side of the field.

However, Tweed Heads were then able to defend back-to-back sets of their line and it seemed to give them confidence.

They were finally able to break through however when they had a one-man advantage when Haas was binned for repeated infringements inside the 10; with winger Kiah Cooper opening his side’s account.

With just under 10 minutes to go in the half, McGrady had his first of the night and the successful conversion for Levido had the visitors up 12-10, a lead they held onto at the break.

McGrady had his second try only three minutes into the second half – but it came from some great team play in the lead-up, with the Tweed Heads forwards able to work their way up the middle with speed, with an offload to the inside finding support before the ball was worked out to the potent right edge.

Both teams then fell into bad habits in the middle period of the half, with handling leaving much to be desired.

But the visitors were the ones to break the funk when they put on a cleanly executed set play that found fullback AJ Brimson running into a gap to extend their lead.

Wynnum Manly needed the momentum to change and it did thanks to some strong work for their forwards. Junior Pita made a huge bust through the middle before offloading to Vea who was brought down a metre from the line.

The NSW Seagulls then committed a professional foul and the referee sent Jacobs to the bin, and the home side immediately capitalised with young Broncos Patrick Carrigan over, reducing the margin to 20-14.

The game was on a knife-edge when Pat Templeman collected an intercept when Tweed Heads were pressing to extend their lead, racing down the field to score in the left-hand corner. He had no problem converting his own try to draw the scores level, but the Wynnum Manly fightback was to be cruelled by a stroke of fortune for Tweed Heads five minutes later.

See the full scoring details and final team line-ups for this game at QRL Live

TWEED HEADS SEAGULLS 26 (Brayden McGrady 3, Ryland Jacobs, AJ Brimson tries; Eli Levido 3 goals) def WYNNUM MANLY SEAGULLS 22 (Mitch Frei, Til Vea, Patrick Carrigan, Patrick Templeman tries; Patrick Templeman 3 goals) at BMD Kougari Oval.

DIEHARD
21-04-18, 01:35 PM
Tweed’s bold strategy

TWEED Heads will run with a bold strategy that they readily acknowledge could count against them in the 2018 Rugby League Gold Coast Agrade competition.

The Seagulls will this season send fringe Intrust Super Cup players to other clubs when not required by Ben Woolf’s state league side.
Jenan Parrish and Siuatonga Likiliki are aligned with Runaway Bay; Beau Cordtz with Southport; and Ali Grant with Northern Rivers Regional Rugby League club Ballina.

While Tweed won’t come up against any of their own tomorrow when they face fellow ISC club Burleigh, they are prepared for the fact their new approach could bite them.

“Woolfy has said this, we would love to see Beau Cordtz come out for Southport and score three tries against us because that puts everyone on notice,” said Seagulls chief executive Paul Stephenson.

“We would love to see Jenan come out and be man of the match and cut us open in the middle. He has done a preseason with us and if he is going well, he will get another opportunity at the next level in Queensland Cup and that is a really good thing for us.”
Stephenson believes there are multiple benefits.

“They are getting a player that is potentially a junior there back to their club to play A-grade, which should help increase the standard of what they are doing and help increase that relationship with us and them as well,” he said.

“For our A-grade side it potentially selfishly gives them a little bit more consistency. And it also keeps all of those guys on their toes as well – they know that they are not only competing against the guys in their side to make Queensland Cup, they are competing against guys all over the competition.”

DIEHARD
28-04-18, 12:00 PM
Good mate James has advice for axed Elgey

RYAN James is proof being dropped to the Intrust Super Cup is not the end of the world.

The Gold Coast captain’s good mate Kane Elgey was axed from the NRL side this week after a prolonged lean run of form and has been tasked with wearing the No.7 jersey for Tweed Heads in their match in Mackay today.

James drew on his experience to assure Elgey he can salvage his season for the Titans.

“Obviously, he is probably disappointed,” James said.

“I told him one of the best things that happened to me was when John Cartwright dropped me back in 2013 and I came back with seven games to go and pushed my way into that Prime Minister’s side.

“I had about four weeks back in state league and re-found some form and came back and started playing simpler footy.

“If Kane can do that, he will be fine.”

James said Elgey is a level above the ISC, as proven by his stint for the Seagulls prior to getting his NRL call-up in 2015.

“I remember going down and watching him and he was setting up tries and scoring tries, so hopefully he can just re-find that form down there and bring it back to the first grade side,” he said.

Elgey will reunite with Tweed coach Ben Woolf, who was excited to have him on deck for his young side that are coming off back-to-back wins.

“He is a class player. I worked with Kane in the under-20s, my first year coaching he was the captain of the side back then,” Woolf said.

Mr Bods
28-04-18, 01:12 PM
Tweed Heads been close to a train wreck this year but I’m looking forward immensely to today’s game

BundyTitan
28-04-18, 01:32 PM
AJ Brimson over after 3 minutes, what a talent

Mr Bods
28-04-18, 01:32 PM
Looking very much like a typical Ben Woolfe coached team to me this talented Seagulls team
I’ll leave my comment at that

gotitans101_
28-04-18, 01:36 PM
Brimson looks good though

edit: fking autocorrect.

Mr Bods
28-04-18, 01:43 PM
Finally LG and Brimson combine and a try is scored without a hand being laid

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah classic genius pass from LG

gotitans101_
28-04-18, 01:43 PM
Elgey - the king of second grade.

Mr Bods
28-04-18, 01:55 PM
Yep forget about going onto the market for a FB.
Next year Mick G to wing and Brimson to FB.
That issue is sorted.

Hail Sezer
28-04-18, 02:00 PM
That issue is sorted.

What’d I tell ya ;)

Mr Bods
28-04-18, 02:15 PM
What’d I tell ya ;)

I always listen

RavShamrock
28-04-18, 02:24 PM
That issue is sorted.

Gee whiz Bodsy I know the kids going pretty good today but **** Gordon is going to well atm IMO.

Mr Bods
28-04-18, 02:27 PM
Gee whiz Bodsy I know the kids going pretty good today but **** Gordon is going to well atm IMO.

I said next season

RavShamrock
28-04-18, 02:27 PM
Also I recon Latu is going pretty well today. The only forward really bending the line, his defence has been good and he's got that silky pass. I don't recon we've seen the last of him in Titans colours IMO.

Mr Bods
28-04-18, 02:28 PM
LG in QCUP is immortal like

RavShamrock
28-04-18, 02:28 PM
I said next season

Yes I know mate but do you think Gordon is just going to fall off a cliff?

Mr Bods
28-04-18, 02:29 PM
Yes I know mate but do you think Gordon is just going to fall off a cliff?

I said Gordon to wing and Brimson FB

RavShamrock
28-04-18, 02:34 PM
Also I recon Latu is going pretty well today. The only forward really bending the line, his defence has been good and he's got that silky pass. I don't recon we've seen the last of him in Titans colours IMO.

Right on cue Latu scores

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I know Bodsy but I can't see that happening from where we sit right now IMO.
Gordon just looks forever youthful at present.

- - - Updated - - -

A bit like Billy-the-kid

gotitans101_
28-04-18, 02:34 PM
LG in QCUP is immortal like

he needs to learn to play amongst the men.

NZFan
28-04-18, 02:54 PM
Fotuaika looks to be quite promising too. Only problem I have with switching Gordon to the wing is the backline becomes even smaller. Would be great to see the elgey/brimson combination in first grade though

DIEHARD
12-05-18, 01:21 PM
The Tweed kid ready to take on NRL

KONRAD Hurrell is set to be the prime drawcard for Tweed Heads today but it is his Intrust Super Cup centre teammate who could be the one doing the damage for the Seagulls.

Brayden McGrady, 21, has an exceptional record of 10 tries from five starts in 2018 and, according to former coach Aaron Zimmerle, possesses all the attributes to push on to make his mark in the NRL.

“In terms of potential and talent – and they are two dangerous words – he is NRL quality,” said Zimmerle, who stepped back from the Tweed post at the end of last season.

“He can beat a man in front of him any day of the week and that’s what makes him so exciting.

“He can do it with speed, he can do it with touch and skill, he can do it just with his strength.

“Some of his wrestling when we have had combative type wrestling sessions, he’s the last man standing. He will outwrestle every bloke in the squad and you look at him physically and go, how did that happen?

“He has got all these attributes that most people would die for.”

The next step for the Goondiwindi product, whose right edge combination with fiveeighth and cousin Lindon McGrady has been a major weapon for Tweed, is to produce the goods consistently.

Zimmerle’s successor Ben Woolf hailed McGrady as a “super talented kid” but acknowledged he still has room for improvement.

“He lacks a bit of conditioning ... he doesn’t shine in the pre-season, put it that way,” Woolf said.

However, come game time he has an uncanny knack of getting across the line and Woolf praised his defensive ability too.

Tweed host Ipswich from 1.30pm today at Piggabeen.

JunctionBlock
12-05-18, 03:10 PM
Tried to find a stream of the game but unable too. From the scoreboard it looks like LG and Kiah Cooper are doing well.

DIEHARD
12-05-18, 04:03 PM
http://www.titansupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/12.3.jpg

Mr Bods
12-05-18, 05:12 PM
If anyone was at the game could we have a few comments on how our squad members went please

JunctionBlock
13-05-18, 08:32 PM
https://www.qrl.com.au/news/20182/05/13/intrust-super-cup-round-10-highlights-tweed-v-jets/

Some highlights for you Bods. Not much but it's something.

Mr Bods
13-05-18, 08:37 PM
^^^ unreal thanks heaps

DIEHARD
18-05-18, 08:48 PM
Tweed Heads Seagulls v Northern Pride
http://www.qrl.com.au
Piggabeen Sports Complex on Sunday, May 20 – 2pm
Head-to-Head: Pride 12 Tweed 9
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #THSvPRIDE

Both teams come into this game with wins; the Pride a close 26-24 win over Redcliffe, while the Gulls fought back against Ipswich to win 20-18.
Tweed Heads are again expected to have Titans Kane Elgey and Konrad Hurrell in their team, and there is talk that Bryce Cartwright may join them.
There is also speculation that following an impressive three-try haul against the Phins last weekend, Pride youngster Enari Tuala is edging closer to adding to his one NRL appearance.
The Pride have won the past seven games played against Tweed Heads, with the past two games decided by two points.
The Pride have also won the past three games they have played at Piggabeen
However, the Seagulls are in good form and have won their past four games.
This will be the 150th Cup game for Pride stalwart Brett Anderson, who also previously played with the Young Guns.

DIEHARD
19-05-18, 01:06 PM
Tweed Heads Seagulls enjoying their influx of Gold Coast Titans NRL players

THE PAUPERS have become the princes – for now.

Traditionally hamstrung by a lack of resources, Tweed Heads will take a million-dollar roster spruced up by Titans feeder players into their Intrust Super Cup clash against the Northern Pride tomorrow at Piggabeen Sports Complex.

It makes for roster mismatches such as Kane Elgey, who is on a contract said to be around $600,000, against opposite No.7, little-known Jordan Biondi-Odo.

The latter, Todd Carney’s replacement at the Pride, is a storeman who juggles two jobs and is on small match payments only.

Shooting for five straight wins, the Seagulls are also expected to have Titans-contracted players Konrad Hurrell, Leilani Latu, Ryan Simpkins, Brendan Elliot and Kiah Cooper on deck.

“I guess there’s a bit of irony to it,” said Tweed boss Paul Stephenson. “We’ve been considered an under-resourced club for a long time and we’re benefiting from having some quality guys coming back.

“We’ll ride the wave. We say all the time, we look at ourselves as a development club and we don’t say “no” to key guys coming back. We’ll continue to offer them the opportunity to come back and play well for us and make their way back into the NRL side.”

Meanwhile, Burleigh’s Jamal Fogarty is racing the clock to return from an ankle injury to face Easts today at Cbus Super Stadium from 12.40pm.

Coach Jimmy Lenihan said the halfback would be a huge inclusion.

“Just his organisation and talk helps everyone else play better,” Lenihan said.

Henare Wells will line up in the centres, allowing Jamie Dowling to jump back into the forward pack.

“Jamie has always been a good back-rower for us who gives us a bit of strike as well,” Lenihan said.

“It’s probably time he gets a little bit of an identity instead of just filling holes for us.”

Mr Bods
19-05-18, 01:47 PM
^^^^ Seagulls were insipid without the top up players earlier in the year

GCTTSD
20-05-18, 05:35 PM
Anyone know how elgey, Hurrell, Cooper and Elliot and co went today?

JunctionBlock
21-05-18, 08:47 PM
Anyone know how elgey, Hurrell, Cooper and Elliot and co went today?

https://www.tweedheadsseagulls.com.au/gullies-make-if-five-straight-and-show-pride/

No video but a match review. Main mentions right down the bottom. Latu looking like he's on the improve.

mdrew
21-05-18, 09:46 PM
Highlights

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/20182/05/21/intrust-super-cup-round-11-highlights-tweed-v-pride/

https://www.tweedheadsseagulls.com.au/gullies-make-if-five-straight-and-show-pride/

No video but a match review. Main mentions right down the bottom. Latu looking like he's on the improve.

mdrew
09-06-18, 07:41 PM
13-12 win for Tweed Heads Queensland Cup side against the CQ Capra's with Kane Elgey a try scorer

DIEHARD
10-06-18, 05:54 PM
Tweed Heads Seagulls sweating on scan results for Cheyne Whitelaw’s knee injury

A NERVOUS wait looms for Tweed Heads with inspirational skipper Cheyne Whitelaw to get scans on a knee injury.

Whitelaw left the field after 11 minutes in the Seagulls’ 13-12 win over Central Queensland that was sealed by a Lindon McGrady field goal. The Capras had a shot at a one-pointer of their own on the buzzer but were unsuccessful.

The result would have placed Tweed inside the Intrust Super Cup top six if not for Norths’ comeback on Sunday afternoon to beat Redcliffe.

But for now, all eyes are on Whitelaw.

Coach Ben Woolf conceded “it doesn’t look overly promising” but believes his players can lift if their leader is sidelined.

“The boys showed they got through 70 minutes without him and obviously had burnt an interchange,” Woolf said.

“The back end of the game was really end to end and we hung tough and eventually ground them down and got the win.”

Vice-captains Lamar Liolevave and Sam Meskell are set to step up in Whitelaw’s absence, though experienced Titans players such as Kane Elgey also shape as an option.

Burleigh fell 30-28 to the Northern Pride at Pizzey Park, with coach Jimmy Lenihan lamenting a slow start.

“We got what we deserved,” he said.

“We didn’t do a very good first half and then the start of our second half was pretty poor. Football has a funny way of giving you what you deserve.”

Mr Bods
16-06-18, 01:53 PM
Seagulls v Norths on ch9 now
Can’t say any of the Titans lads are knocking the door down for a first grade recall

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 05:08 PM
From Tweed to Tonga? Koni stars
https://www.qrl.com.au/

Konrad Hurrell scored two tries and set up another as Tweed Heads contributed to Norths' descent from the head of the table with a 28-24 win at the Piggabeen Sports Complex.

In contention to represent Tonga next Saturday against Samoa in the Pacific Test, Hurrell was more than a handful.

The NRL personality player marked up against young Bronco Gehamat Shibasaki, who was named at halftime in the XXXX Queensland Residents squad to play New South Wales Residents next Sunday in Sydney.

Yet it was fair to say Hurrell took the points decision, and not only on the scoreboard, where Tweed won and Hurrell scored two tries to Shibasaki's one.

It was a helter-skelter opening to the game, with four tries posted in an incredible 10-minute period between the ninth and 19th minutes.

The free-slowing contest had Tweed ahead 16-12 at halftime, but the Seagulls looked set to be challenged for the lead when the second half resumed.

However, Norths conceded two tries which were against the run of play, one to former Knights and Roosters NRL player Brendan Elliott and the second to a clever Hurrell, who anticipated an intercept.

That allowed Tweed to skip ahead 28-18 and seemingly put the game beyond doubt – until a late try by Jack Ahearn made the last three minutes a tightrope walk.

Norths went within inches of scoring a try that would have levelled the game, but ultimately it wasn't to be.

While Hurrell's two tries showcased his barrelling style and uncanny balance, it was the try he set up for Kane Elgey which most pleased the highlight reels.

Hurrell received the ball on the right edge from Bryce Cartwright who held up two defenders and gave a trademark one-handed flick pass that put his outside man in space, Hurrell bursting away before slowing down to pass to Elgey with perfection.

The win will elevate Tweed to sixth spot on the ladder, only a few months after they occupied the caller.

For Norths the opposite is true. From being in equal first place, the Devils are now in danger of slipping outside the top eight.

Next week is a weekend off for both teams while the representative round is held.

Full scoring details and final team lists available at QRL Live.

TWEED HEADS SEAGULLS 28 (Konrad Hurrell 2, Lindon McGrady, Kane Elgey, Brendan Elliott tries; Lindon McGrady 4 goals) def NORTHS DEVILS 24 (Michael Lucas, Gehamat Shibasaki, Jack Miers, Jack Ahearn tries; Luke Pollock 2, Jack Miers 2 goals) at the Piggabeen Sports Complex.

DIEHARD
18-06-18, 12:56 AM
Meanwhile, Tweed Heads moved inside the ISC top six for the first time since Round 1 of the 2016 season by pipping Norths 28-24 in an entertaining encounter.

Titans-contracted forwards Ryan Simpkins and Bryce Cartwright shared players’ player for the Seagulls, with the latter’s effort a perfect response to being dropped from the NRL.

Cartwright looked at home in his preferred right second-row position – which has been blocked at Titans level by Kevin Proctor – frequently causing the Devils’ defensive line trouble.

“He has got that good right-hand offload which probably suited where we played him. He was a real handful when he carried the ball,” said Seagulls coach Ben Woolf.

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport

Mr Bods
18-06-18, 11:53 AM
There’s no point in playing CartWrong in Proctor’s right edge spot in QCup.
Brennan’s vision was to Coach him to play Lock.
He needs to learn to play that position.
Opportunity wasted.

Mr Bods
01-07-18, 05:02 PM
Seagulls lost to Burleigh 34-16 today.
If anyone went then a few comments would be appreciated

mdrew
01-07-18, 05:08 PM
Burleigh backline was just too much for Tweed Heads

Seagulls lost to Burleigh 34-16 today.
If anyone went then a few comments would be appreciated

Mr Bods
07-07-18, 12:50 PM
Seagulls v Wynnum on ch9 today

DIEHARD
13-07-18, 02:26 PM
Tweed Heads Seagulls player with All Blacks pedigree

TWEED Heads’ mid-season recruit Kalani Going brings significant pedigree to Piggabeen Sports Complex.

The 21-year-old from Whangarei, New Zealand, has relatives with international experience in both league and union.

His great-uncle is famed All Blacks halfback Sid Going, who played 29 Tests between 1967 and 1977.

On the league front, uncle Kylie Leuluai is a Leeds Rhinos legend who represented Samoa and New Zealand Maori as well as playing 78 NRL games, including as a Manly teammate to Tweed chief executive Paul Stephenson.

Leuluai is also the cousin of New Zealand 39-Test veteran Thomas Leuluai.

Going grew up in union as an inside centre before switching to the 13-man code when the opportunity came in 2012 to join Canberra’s under-16 Harold Matthews Cup side.

It was only just before June 30 this year that he left the Raiders to link up with the Seagulls, with a keen eye on their NRL affiliate Gold Coast Titans for 2019.

“I was with the Canberra Raiders training full-time and the squad was pretty stacked with big names. I was giving it a crack but it wasn’t enough minutes for me I believe,” Going said.

The middle or edge forward had heard Tweed were interested in him and was impressed by reports that their coach Ben Woolf would reward players on form rather than name.

He played 32 minutes off the bench in his Intrust Super Cup debut against Wynnum Manly last weekend and his haul of 20 tackles and 75m was enough to convince Woolf to name him at starting second-row for Sunday’s home game against Souths Logan.

It’s a key match between two sides whose finals chances are slipping away: Tweed have lost their past two while the Magpies have lost five straight in a slump dating back to the end of May.

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

DIEHARD
13-07-18, 02:29 PM
Tweed Heads Seagulls v Souths Logan Magpies at Piggabeen Sports Complex, Sunday, July 15 – 2.15pm

Tweed Heads Seagulls

1. Talor Walters 2. Kiah Cooper 3. Brendan Elliot 4. Ryland Jacobs 5. Tevita Folau 6. Lindon McGrady 7. Kane Elgey 8. Leilani Latu 9. Eli Levido 16. Maia Sands 11. Lamar Manuel-Liolevave (c) 12. Kalani Going 13. Ryan Simpkins (c) 10. Jarrod Morfett 14. Jack Cook 15. Reece Summer 17. Nathan Young 18. Rory Lillis 19. Tony Matautia

Coach: Ben Woolf

Souths Logan Magpies

1. Corey Allan 2. Benaiah Bowie 3. Lenny Magey 4. Dan Russell 5. Paul Rokolati 6. Guy Hamilton 7. Sam Scarlett 8. George Fai 9. Travis Waddell 10. Rhys Melville 11. Brendon Gibb 12. Simi Fatafehi 13. Phil Dennis (c) 14. Manaia Cherrington 15. William Samuel 16. Daniel Tamou 17. Sam Elliott

Coach: Jon Buchanan

DIEHARD
13-07-18, 02:29 PM
Tweed Heads Seagulls v Souths Logan Magpies
Piggabeen Sports Complex, Sunday, July 15 – 2.15pm
Head-to-Head: Souths Logan 17 Tweed 15
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #THSvSLM

The Tweed Heads Seagulls were left to rue a poor period of defence mid-way through the second half last weekend where they allowed Wynnum Manly to score four tries in 15 minutes to eventually lose a nail biter 24-22.
After producing a mini-surge to move themselves up the Intrust Super Cup ladder, the Seagulls have slipped in recent weeks, posting back-to-back losses.
Success has also been hard to come by for the Magpies who will be aiming to break a five-game losing streak.
Souths Logan have won the past six games played between these two sides, while Tweed Heads have won their past five games at Piggabeen.
Fresh from playing his part in the history-making win in the Under 20s game last night; Corey Allan has been named at fullback for the Magpies this weekend in place of last week’s debutant Tanah Boyd.

Mr Bods
15-07-18, 03:59 PM
Souths Logan annihilated Seagulls today
What a worry
Also the match centre says KCooper interchanged and given he’s a winger I guess that means an injury
And Elliot didn’t play which I guess confirms he is gone to England

Hail Sezer
15-07-18, 04:34 PM
Souths Logan annihilated Seagulls today
What a worry
Also the match centre says KCooper interchanged and given he’s a winger I guess that means an injury
And Elliot didn’t play which I guess confirms he is gone to England

Kiah was sin binned mate

Mr Bods
15-07-18, 06:19 PM
^^^ My Bad HS and thanks

DIEHARD
16-07-18, 02:40 AM
Tweed facing uphill battle

TWEED Heads’ Intrust Super Cup finals hopes are on the brink after slumping to a 36-14 home loss to Souths Logan.

Victory yesterday afternoon would have kept the Seagulls in a share of sixth place; instead they will head into Round 19 in 11th and desperate to regain form.

Tweed trailed by only four points at the break but could not keep pace with the Magpies in the second half.

Their one big positive was a happy return for Ali Grant.

The 24-year-old was back for Ben Woolf’s team for the first time since Round 4 – replacing Talor Walters at fullback – and did not disappoint, scoring a try and winning players’ player.

Grant put his improved form down to a productive stint playing for his junior club Ballina, for whom he had scored 13 tries in 12 games.

“Back there it’s a bit more relaxed and I could work on the things that I need to improve,” he said.

“It’s a good place to go back to because it’s my junior club and I have still got five of my best mates that play there so it’s just enjoyable and takes a bit of pressure off me. When you are having fun it brings out the best in your footy and it transferred into Cup.

“I just want to come out and play like I do every week for Ballina.”

Grant added the side were disappointed to “let one slip” yesterday but believe finals are still within their grasp.

“It is pretty much semi-final footy for us from here on in.”

Meanwhile, Burleigh have dropped to third on the ladder as a result of their 40-28 loss to Redcliffe on Saturday.

The Bears roared early with Kurtis Rowe and Matt White both finding the line inside seven minutes. The 2016 premiers had stretched their lead to 22-6 by the 23-minute mark before the Dolphins clicked.

Recruit Dylan Phythian was forced from the field in the final minute for a head injury assessment.

Mr Bods
23-07-18, 04:36 PM
That was one brutal flogging that Seagulls got on the weekend
This is a club with a great tradition

I don’t think Woolfe will survive

TITAN PETE
24-07-18, 05:26 AM
That was one brutal flogging that Seagulls got on the weekend
This is a club with a great tradition

I don’t think Woolfe will survive

Woolfe took Tweed from last to being a semi final contender in the last 3 months so I wouldn’t throw him overboard after one horrendous score line, thought you would have blamed Cartwright’s return ..... but if your theory is right then Brennan, Mary Magregor, Barrett & The Hook will all be looking for new jobs next year

Mr Bods
24-07-18, 12:53 PM
Yeah I actually think it was the inclusion of LG that turned their season around. When LG was dropped Seagulls were coming last by a mile and then LG and a few other Titans inclusions took them on a run.

Don’t agree with your examples. I think when a team has 50 put on them that’s a crisis but when it’s over 60 that unfortunately carries death with it.

As a Seagulls supporter I’m just aghast by this result. We are a club with an amazing history. It’s embarrassing.

ALX25
24-07-18, 07:06 PM
How many players were out injured though?

Mr Bods
24-07-18, 07:15 PM
How many players were out injured though?

I don’t know.
How many players out injured would it take to justify conceding 60+ points is my counter question??

JunctionBlock
24-07-18, 07:18 PM
Against the top of the table?

Mr Bods
24-07-18, 07:23 PM
TP, ALX, JB: are you guys Seagulls supporters? Or just sticking up for Woolfe?

I would think the Titans Board would go into meltdown if we gave up 60+ in First Grade regardless of Injuries (a question not yet answered) or opposition ladder position.

JunctionBlock
24-07-18, 07:50 PM
Neither. I just pointed out that 12th was playing 1st.

RenegadeGC
25-07-18, 09:44 AM
I don’t know.
How many players out injured would it take to justify conceding 60+ points is my counter question??

Cheyne Whitelaw, Lumley and McGrady?? But dont know if they makes a 60 point difference.

ALX25
25-07-18, 06:39 PM
No affiliation to the Seagulls or the Coach.

Just thinking logically, perhaps the injuries have taken their toll.

Perhaps the Blackhawks roster were just far superior, and the result was inevitable.

mdrew
29-07-18, 02:34 PM
Good effort for Tweed Heads to defeat Mackay 24-14 this afternoon

Mr Bods
29-07-18, 02:35 PM
Good effort for Tweed Heads to defeat Mackay 24-14 this afternoon

Unreal

DIEHARD
30-07-18, 12:17 PM
Seagulls daring to dream

TWEED have kept their Intrust Super Cup finals hopes alive with a drought-breaking win against Mackay they hope can save their season.

The Seagulls led by 10 points with 20 minutes remaining but the Cutters charged home, scoring two late tries and having the chance to tie the game up with a conversion attempt in the dying stages of the fixture.

The Seagulls’ 24-22 win keeps them in the finals hunt, although coach Ben Woolf conceded the team’s poor forand-against meant they were likely to need an extra win to get there.

“We’ve had a lot of injuries and a lot of changes in the last few weeks, so we needed (a win) to get back on track,” Woolf said.

The Seagulls’ victory broke a four-game losing streak and came with Titans backrower Bryce Cartwright back on the field after his recovery from a broken hand.

“He’s obviously a bit short of a gallop but he had a lot of touches, he was dangerous with the ball and got a few offloads, so he was good,” Woolf said. “The hard thing for us is he’s on that right edge where he hasn’t had a lot of time.

“He had only played the one game with us before he broke his hand. But he was handy for us.” Ryland Jacobs was among Tweed Heads’ best players, scoring in the 26th minute as he rotated between wing and the middle of the ground. “He really stepped up,” Woolf said.

The win leaves Tweed in 11th place but only two points separates the fifth-placed Easts and the Seagulls.

“We’re still only two points out (of the five), it’s a very compressed ladder,” he said.

“We play Easts this week who are two points in front, so it becomes a big game for us.”

Meanwhile, Burleigh have slipped back to outright third on the ladder, two wins behind leaders Townsville after losing to the Hunters in Papua New Guinea yesterday.

The visitors led 10-4 at the break after a pair of tries to Troy Leo but the Hunters hit back with 14 unanswered points in the second term.

Mr Bods
12-08-18, 03:42 PM
If anyone goes to Piggabeen this arvo then could you make a bit of a comment on how Cartwright, Latu and Cooper went please??