PDA

View Full Version : Round 8: BULLDOGS vs TITANS

DIEHARD
16-04-16, 06:41 PM
<br><br><table width='90%' class='theader'><tr style='font-weight: bold; height: 140px;'><td width='40%' class='bgimg bul'>&nbsp;</td><td width='20%' rowspan='2' style='text-align: center; font-size: 60px;'>vs</td><td width='40%'class='bgimg tit'>&nbsp;</td></tr><tr style='font-weight: bold; font-size: 18px;'><td width='40%'>Canterbury Bulldogs</td><td width='40%'>Gold Coast Titans</td></tr></table><br>
Sat 23 Apr, 3:00PM ANZ Stadium<br><br><table width="100%" id="teams"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" align="right" width="40%"><table class="teamlists"><tbody><tr><td align="right"><div>Will Hopoate</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Curtis Rona</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Josh Morris</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Kerrod Holland</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Sam Perrett</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Josh Reynolds</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Moses Mbye</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Aiden Tolman</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Michael Lichaa</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>James Graham</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Josh Jackson</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Tony Williams</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Greg Eastwood</div></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" align="center">&nbsp;</td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Sam Kasiano</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Tim Browne</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>David Klemmer</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Adam Elliott</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Lloyd Perrett</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Craig Garvey</div></td></tr><tr style="height:40px;"><td align="right"><div>Des Hasler</div></td></tr></tbody></table></td><td valign="top" align="center" width="20%"><table class="teamlists"><tbody><tr><td class="tl_position">Fullback</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Wing</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Centre</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Centre</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Wing</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Five-eighth</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Halfback</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Prop</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Hooker</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Prop</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Second Row</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Second Row</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Lock</td></tr><tr><td align="center">&nbsp;</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Interchange</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Interchange</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Interchange</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Interchange</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Interchange</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Interchange</td></tr><tr style="height:40px;"><td class="tl_position">Coach</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td valign="top" align="left" width="40%"><table class="teamlists"><tbody><tr><td align="left"><div>William Zillman</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Anthony Don</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Josh Hoffman</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Nene Macdonald</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>David Mead</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Tyrone Roberts</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Ashley Taylor</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>David Shillington</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Nathan Friend</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Ryan James</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Zeb Taia</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Chris McQueen</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Greg Bird</div></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" align="center">&nbsp;</td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Luke Douglas</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Leivaha Pulu</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Agnatius Paasi</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Kierran Moseley</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Eddy Pettybourne</div></td></tr><tr><td>&nbsp;</td></tr><tr style="height:40px;"><td align="left"><div>Neil Henry</div></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

ozynorts
16-04-16, 07:23 PM
This game could be really ugly. Dogs will be primed after losing tonight.

5 Year Contract
16-04-16, 09:04 PM
I've lost faith in Henry to be honest. Im expecting a unchanged team with Bird in and Paasi back to the bench. Falling into the Carty trap of playing favourites regardless of form. After today im not expecting much from us. I pray Bird reads the team the riot act and leads from the front. At this stage we know Zillman will be fullback regardless of form. Hoffman, Don and Nene will all be there taking the place of a junior and Morts will be there over Cullen.

Just-a-Fan
16-04-16, 11:37 PM
I know this wont happen but
1 Mead is our best FB
2 Robert-Davis/GL/Kelly give 1 of them a run drop Hoffman Zillman and Don
3 Macdonald
4 Davis
5 Olive
6 Robert
7 Taylor/Cullen if Taylor not recover but would sooner he be given a rest
8 Shillington
9 Friend
10 Douglas
11James out a bit wider and got to middle to replace Douglas
12 Taia
13 Bird
14 Paasi
15McQueen give Bird and Taia a rest
16 Pulu/Peteru is Pulu is injured
17Lawton/Cullen/Mosely anyone but not Mortimer
Go Titans

Dooldog76
18-04-16, 06:08 PM
I'm confident of a win. Last week was disappointing and didn't reflect the effort we put in. We are still sitting ninth and it will be a great test for us. I like what Henry is doing, although he made a few errors last week. You have to try things and maybe he just wanted to mix things up. Compared to this time last year we are 100 times better, on and off the field. I would dearly love some of the younger outside backs get a run. I liked the direction we were headed in the first five rounds. Without "zilly" bashing we just don't seem to have the urgency when he's playing. Mead needs to be fullback. There will be complacency among the dogs, there always is and we seem to go fairly well against them. Our forward pack is awesome, just need to cut out the missed tackles and work for each other in defence. I think everyone was a little let down by our effort last week because we have been playing so well up until then. Looking forward to a quality win. Up the Titans!!!

Titan4Life
18-04-16, 07:38 PM
Guessing that Moseley will come in for Mortimer, Bird in for Pulu and Burr in for Pettybourne. Seems like that would be most likely but we will find out tomorrow I guess.

JunctionBlock
18-04-16, 08:04 PM
Good news is that sanity has prevailed and Ryan James isn't on the charge sheet for this weeks judiciary.

DavidBouveng
18-04-16, 09:31 PM
Peteru has been back for a week or so i think.I wouldnt mind seeing him in the team

Barrels
18-04-16, 09:47 PM
I really want to see Lynch get a go, but with peteru and Burr still on the raider im happy to just see some young guys get a go regardless. Burr needs some work but i think we can still get some good out of him. mosely has been a bit disappointing but what can you do i guess?

Just-a-Fan
18-04-16, 10:09 PM
Peteru is the go for me can get some good meters and has a good off load and dont miss many tackles
I like Burr but he misses a lot of tackles
Has anyone heard how Taylor is ? I like him to play but think he should be rested for a week Cullen would do ok again
Moseley I am guessing to get that bench spot or will Lawton get his chance he can play half as well
Put Macdonald back to left centre and leave him there and bring in Davis on the right
Zillman left wing but would sooner Olive and put Hoffman the right wing but would sooner U/20 Robert -Davis there
Mead to FB but I know it not happen looks like ou forwards will have to win it for us

Titanic
18-04-16, 11:34 PM
What kind of teams beat the 'Dogs? Busy teams that move their big forwards around. My worry for this game is our forwards seem to be running out of steam and are falling back into that 4 hit-ups to an inside ball and a kick ... we'll need more than that.

Manzo
19-04-16, 07:19 AM
just for interest davis has been in good form in the qld cup, as has peteru, burr and lawton

i really cant blame henry if he plays burr, he has been great in qld cup- just needs to show it in 1st grade

olive hasnt been amazing in qld cup, i would pick davis ahead of him now

Yankee Doodle Titan
19-04-16, 07:58 AM
If we have Zillman, Mortimer and Hoffman in the side for this match, I predict we'll be routed.

Even without them we'd probably lose, but I would rather see young, hungry players getting experience (and getting better) than watch these three 'veterans' punching a clock for a paycheck.

JunctionBlock
19-04-16, 09:42 AM
I'm pretty sure Mortimer will be out after the hamstring strain from last week. Zilly hasn't done anything to lose his spot. Hoffman will play so we need Ash or Roberts to develop their cut out pass. Hopefully LG can give them some pointers.

I'm with you Manzo, I think Davis would make a good edition to the squad. Didn't he play 2nd row for Parra in the lower grades?

Hail Sezer
19-04-16, 01:21 PM
I'm pretty sure Mortimer will be out after the hamstring strain from last week. Zilly hasn't done anything to lose his spot. Hoffman will play so we need Ash or Roberts to develop their cut out pass. Hopefully LG can give them some pointers.

I'm with you Manzo, I think Davis would make a good edition to the squad. Didn't he play 2nd row for Parra in the lower grades?

Davis played centre in SG Ball, wing for Aus schoolboys and then Centre/Fullback for Eels NYC.

timor 2
19-04-16, 05:05 PM
1William Zillman
2Anthony Don
3Josh Hoffman
4Nene Macdonald
5David Mead
6Tyrone Roberts
7Ashley Taylor
8David Shillington
9Nathan Friend
10Ryan James
11Zeb Taia
12Chris McQueen
13Greg Bird
INTERCHANGE
14Luke Douglas
15Leivaha Pulu
16Agnatius Paasi
17Kierran Moseley
18Eddy Pettybourne
REFEREES
Ashley Klein
Chris James
Ricky MacFarlane

JunctionBlock
19-04-16, 05:11 PM
So same team as last week but Moseley for Mortimer and Bird gets his spot back from suspension. Pettybourne apparently only dislocated his finger (here I thought Henry said it was a compound fracture).

According to the injury report Peteru made a successful comeback from his knee injury but has an abdominal strain from last weekend

Manzo
19-04-16, 05:35 PM
full doggy team

Will Hopoate
Curtis Rona
Josh Morris
Kerrod Holland
Sam Perrett
Josh Reynolds
Moses Mbye
Aiden Tolman
Michael Lichaa
James Graham ©
Josh Jackson
Tony Williams
Greg Eastwood

Sam Kasiano
Tim Browne
David Klemmer
Adam Elliott
Lloyd Perrett
Craig Garvey
Des Hasler

5 Year Contract
19-04-16, 06:15 PM
Same team named that has underperformed our last 3 losses in key positions. Solid logic. Hoping bird, taylor and roberts and the forward pack fire this week as apart from Mead our backline is Medicore. Theres always hope though

TITAN PETE
19-04-16, 10:48 PM
So same team as last week but Moseley for Mortimer and Bird gets his spot back from suspension. Pettybourne apparently only dislocated his finger (here I thought Henry said it was a compound fracture).

According to the injury report Peteru made a successful comeback from his knee injury but has an abdominal strain from last weekend

Eddy was leaving a blood trail up the centre tunnel & went straight to hospital for surgery on Saturday afternoon, a little worse than a dislocation I'm confident in saying

JunctionBlock
20-04-16, 08:26 AM
Eddy was leaving a blood trail up the centre tunnel & went straight to hospital for surgery on Saturday afternoon, a little worse than a dislocation I'm confident in saying

Ok, well it could still stand to reason that the dislocation could have split the skin but I guess the good news was that it wasn't a fracture? I was quoting the round 8 injury report....

X-rays found that Eddy Pettybourne did not fracture his finger that was dislocated against the Dragons. He has it in a splint and has been chosen as 18th man for this weekend’s game, although his progress will be checked during the week.

JunctionBlock
20-04-16, 08:43 AM
Same team named that has underperformed our last 3 losses in key positions. Solid logic. Hoping bird, taylor and roberts and the forward pack fire this week as apart from Mead our backline is Medicore. Theres always hope though

With the exception of last week, if I'm being honest with myself, the team is overperforming. I had no confidence in T. Roberts, I wasn't expecting to even see Ash play first grade this year and (gulp) Zillman hasn't been Zillman in his last two outings. Friend strengthens up the middle and Bird is playing like its a contract negotiations. No Mortimer this week but is replaced with Moseley who hasn't performed liked we had hoped when people were comparing him to a young Cam Smith. From where I was sitting preseason it was like we were signing a retirement village of a forward pack but to my amazement they are one of the best things in this team.
It's too early in the season for a coach to write it off (especially when we are 9th) and start chopping and changing to blood possible future players or "try" players in different positions.
Some of these losses are harder to swallow because we were competitive when we never thought we would have been.

Just reiterating, with the exception of last week.

ozynorts
20-04-16, 09:52 AM
With the exception of last week, if I'm being honest with myself, the team is overperforming. I had no confidence in T. Roberts, I wasn't expecting to even see Ash play first grade this year and (gulp) Zillman hasn't been Zillman in his last two outings. Friend strengthens up the middle and Bird is playing like its a contract negotiations. No Mortimer this week but is replaced with Moseley who hasn't performed liked we had hoped when people were comparing him to a young Cam Smith. From where I was sitting preseason it was like we were signing a retirement village of a forward pack but to my amazement they are one of the best things in this team.
It's too early in the season for a coach to write it off (especially when we are 9th) and start chopping and changing to blood possible future players or "try" players in different positions.
Some of these losses are harder to swallow because we were competitive when we never thought we would have been.

Good post mate, sums it up for me as well.

The really disheartening thing about last week was even though there had been a clear out of a lot of players the team went back to the bad habits of previous years. After the start this year I was hoping that we had moved past that lame duck hit it up for a cross field kick style that was so prevalent for so many years.
Here's hoping that we get back to the type of footy we showed before last week and things improve.

5 Year Contract
20-04-16, 11:29 AM

Hoffman, Don, Nene and Morts in my eyes arent performing (key positions). Zillman I would 100% have in my team given his last 2 performances just in the centres as mead is a better fullback. What I meant was apart from most of our backline the rest of the team have been doing fantastic (like you said apart from last week). Our halves and forwards is what has been keeping us in the game and also winning our first few games.

I think now would be the time to at least bring Davis and GL up and give Nene and Don some time in Q-Cup. The alarm bells our past 3 loses is that we are an extremely competitive team but our backs just arent offering anything apart from Mead and the odd Zillman timed backline run. Biggest thing I have noticed is watching Nene and Don's side of defence it always seems to be backpedalling with the threat of an overlap occuring from Don and Nene not marking up. Teams are starting to notice and exploit this now. Major changes arent needed but I have seen enough of a slide especially in Don and Nene to warrant a change

shamus
20-04-16, 12:59 PM
I must be missing something? I agree about Nene but why the knives for Don? I have only seen the occasional mishap (as all players have). The only stand out was when he was being unselfish last week going for a bomb and he tapped it back when he would have scored had he held on to it. As for defense, if the team doesn't slide or Nene creeps in too far he has no choice but to move in also, which leaves a huge gap down the touchline. Very very similar to what Mead had to do last year with Roberts inside him.

5 Year Contract
20-04-16, 02:10 PM
I must be missing something? I agree about Nene but why the knives for Don? I have only seen the occasional mishap (as all players have). The only stand out was when he was being unselfish last week going for a bomb and he tapped it back when he would have scored had he held on to it. As for defense, if the team doesn't slide or Nene creeps in too far he has no choice but to move in also, which leaves a huge gap down the touchline. Very very similar to what Mead had to do last year with Roberts inside him.

Look I really like Don and he is solid under the high ball but he doesn't add anything in attack and has a number of defensive lapses during the game. The big thing is that he really doesnt elevate the team and he has no pace. When you have guys like Davis and GL who have all the potential in the world to be really explosive first graders I guess it comes down to when you pull the trigger.

Don is obviously not apart of our future so when do you make the switch. To me Don has looked really sluggish with each game so I think now would be the time. Full agree with you on Nene though he needs QCup time bad to get his defensive timing right. Also for all the pace he showed on that runaway try he seems to jink and jive at the line. To me Davis has shown he is a big damaging runner who can crash through/over the line so if he is fit I would have him there.

I definitely agree you cant over-react and change a team every time there is a bad game. The big thing to me though is in past seasons when do we accept mediocrity as the norm and when do we begin to ask what justify's 1st grade selection. To me the exciting thing is that we seems to be building great junior talent and hopefully if we continue to build we will begin to see competition for starting spots.

teke
20-04-16, 02:28 PM
I got biiiig issues with Hoff, bigger issues with him than Zilly, would love to see Davis back in that spot.

DavidBouveng
20-04-16, 03:20 PM
i think DOn was actually really good last week. got two good line breaks that were from his own creation, one of which big metres and Tyrone scored next play after getting a crack at the shot defense.

He should have just scored that try instead of tapping it, but otherwise it was his best game of the year.

Manzo
20-04-16, 05:29 PM
Kierran Moseley hopes to use his recall to the NRL team to not only secure his immediate future in the top grade but also open the door to a contract extension at the Gold Coast Titans.

With Daniel Mortimer ruled out with a hamstring strain for Saturday afternoon’s game against the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium Moseley returns to the first grade team for the second time this season and at the venue where he won consecutive grand finals with the Panthers in under-20s in 2013 and the NSW Cup team a year later.

The Canterbury clash will be his first in the NRL at ANZ Stadium but how long he stays in the top grade will depend on what contribution he can make off the bench on Saturday.

Moseley’s only NRL game this season was against Canberra in Round 4 where he helped to inspire a second-half comeback with his work around the ruck but says he doesn’t feel any pressure to perform, just an opportunity to play his natural game against the big Bulldogs forward pack.

"It's not really pressure," Moseley told NRL.com.

"The best way for you to approach it is to play the normal style of play that you do play each week and what's pretty much got you there.

"You put the pressure on yourself and then you start worrying about not being there next week and things like that but for myself I'm just going to try and do what I've been doing down in Q Cup and a little bit more."

Fighting for a spot in the 17 during the pre-season alongside the likes of Mortimer, Nathan Friend and Matt Srama, Moseley suffered a syndesmosis injury to his right ankle during a wrestling session and missed all the club’s trial games.

It gave Mortimer and Friend the jump on him but he has been diligently working away in the background to improve his kicking game to the point where it can be used as an attacking weapon by the team.

With kicking options to his left and right in halves Ashley Taylor and Tyrone Roberts, Moseley doesn’t expect to be called upon to kick any 40/20s on Saturday but said in order to keep pace with other hookers in the NRL he needs to be able to execute under pressure in the attacking zone.

"I have been working on my kicking game. It's only going to help the team and help my chances of being in the team. I'm still working on kicking in general play," said Moseley, who has kicked just 10 times in 17 NRL games for the Titans to date.

"You've got to have that as part of your game because which way the fullback positions himself, he's just looking at the halves and it's an easier option for the hooker to jump out and put one in [to the in-goal] to get a repeat set and build pressure.

"In 20s I loved jumping down a short side, looking up and playing up and dropping one in. I did get a few of them in 20s but being first grade it's a little bit harder with the amount of feet going down short sides and halves wanting to kick.

"It's a bit harder in first grade but I still need to work on that."

Coaching staff at the Titans have been impressed in recent weeks with the way Moseley has been bringing forwards onto the ball whilst playing for Tweed Heads in the Intrust Super Cup and he admits that he needs to trust his instincts more in the NRL arena.

"I sort of come into first grade and hold back a bit but Neil [Henry, Titans coach] and the staff have given me a bit of confidence and telling me to play how I play and to do pretty much what has got me to where I am now," said the soon-to-be 22-year-old.

"The structures from last year in the first grade team is a lot different to this year.

"Neil and the coaching staff are trying to push that a bit more for us hookers because of the reduction in the interchanges and to bring us into the game a little bit.

"If I keep my eyes up and what's happening around the ruck that helps me a lot when I get the chance to play first grade."

Currently studying a Certificate IV in Youth Work, Moseley told NRL.com that he has settled well on the Gold Coast and is eager to stay at the Titans beyond the 2016 season.

"I'd love to stick around the club and be here for a while," said Moseley, who is one of four hookers off contract at the Titans this season.

"The club has been really good to me in getting me up here and giving me an opportunity and I'm just trying to do my best to get another contract."

5 Year Contract
20-04-16, 05:32 PM
I got biiiig issues with Hoff, bigger issues with him than Zilly, would love to see Davis back in that spot.

Agreed! he seems to be first picked each week on reputation alone. Seems to stifle our attack with a inability to pass and is a huge defensive liability.

Barrels
20-04-16, 05:40 PM
I actually think Nene has been alright, he's been doing all you can ask, he has a few issues defensively, but hoffs are worse.

I would probably think about swapping Hoff for Davis. I really liked Davis and i would be more than happy to have him back. I would move Mead back to Fullback and Zillman out to Meads wing. I'd drop Don, he hasn't been playing anywhere near his potential for the last 5ish weeks and he is most likely to not be resigned at the end of this season, i reckon it's time to pull the trigger and give BK/GL/Olive/TRD a go and see what they can make of it.

Looking into the next few years, backline should be something like

1. Mead
2. Olive
3. Mcdonald
4. Davis
5. BK

and then later down the track something like

1. GL
2. Olive/TRD
3. McDonald
4. Davis
5. BK

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed! he seems to be first picked each week on reputation alone. Seems to stifle our attack with a inability to pass and is a huge defensive liability.

he's most likely only picked to justify his pricetag, remember reading somewhere he turned down a 700k offer from canberra to come to us, pretty worrying what he is on if it's true

Titanic Believer
20-04-16, 06:14 PM
It's a long season, and as much as I would like to see the future, I recon the old backline need a bit more time to justify their payments. Looking at the game last week there were a few lost chances which if grasped may have led to a win. Our assessment of the team would have changed accordingly. I have only seen the young guns play in one Under 20s game and I didn't see anyone crying out for selection. Davis however probably deserves a chance as he seems to be doing well in Qcup.

This week will be the test a greatly improved performance or win will tell the tale of whether changes are needed.

Titan4Life
20-04-16, 06:45 PM
God Pete Badel giving me a heart attack on NRL 360.

Said breaking news on Ash Taylor suffering from an injury. Turns out it is just stomach cramps but he was rushed to hospital and could miss the Dogs game.

ozynorts
20-04-16, 06:45 PM
Breaking news is that Ash Taylor has been taken to hospital today. Cullen trained in his place.

JunctionBlock
20-04-16, 08:57 PM
No menstrual jokes....period.

Titanic
21-04-16, 12:24 AM
The secret protected species list:

1. Zillman ... a lot said and nothing to be added except he is replaceable by Mead
2. Mortimer ... a lot said and nothing to be added except he is replaceable by ... ? A 50/50 dilemma; Cullen or Moseley.
3. Hoffman ... not enough said and he is replaceable by ... ? An irresistible conundrum: Zillman or Davis or Olive or ... daylight.

The underwhelming list:

1. MacDonald ... too much said as he is in the development phase of his career.
2. Don ... too much said as he is solid rather than a star but still outstrips the alternatives.
3. Moseley ... largely written off but is very much still a work in progress.

The wish list:

1. Coote
2. Sarginson to star
3. Te'o

Bayside Titan
22-04-16, 10:39 AM
https://twitter.com/travismeyn/status/723293458291531776

Scrap that. Titans coach Neil Henry says Ashley Taylor "highly unlikely" to play. Mystery illness/injury. @cmail_sport @SuperCoachNRL #

Likely Cullen to come in.

JunctionBlock
22-04-16, 10:59 AM
Some guy on FB last night said he ran into him at a fish and chips shop and he said that Ash told him that he'd be sweet. This isn't a joke.

"So just casually waiting for my fish and chips and guess who walks through the door... ASHLEY TAYLOR!! Acting like a kid at Christmas i knew straight away it was him because what 22yr old has a grey spot of hair. Had a good chat to him seems like a pretty decent bloke. Sounds pretty crook but he's adamant he will be right for the weekends game. I asked if he lived in the area he said no i just come and buy my old boss dinner every thursday night."

indoallstars
22-04-16, 04:03 PM
Since most reports say ATay is out, I just hope Cullen has a decent enough game to say he needs a position somewhere on the team. I don't expect a win against the dogs however Des has the greatest losing % to the Titans, we are a hoodoo team for them. Long weekend here we come!

Barrels
22-04-16, 04:34 PM
Anyone else read about Bird telling cullen to hold off resigning so cullen can get more $$$. apparently now birdies on the wrong side with Titans management. Lurker reckons he won't be here in 2017.

JunctionBlock
22-04-16, 05:36 PM
His advice should have been learn how to play hooker. Has the Lurker ever been correct? Bird has a contract and we need him probably a little more than he needs us or could get by going to another club.

There are also rumours doing the rounds that Seggy maybe available a lot sooner than expected as he is fit but Wallace is still keeping his position.

DIEHARD
23-04-16, 02:05 PM
'Hungry' Cullen ready for second shot
http://www.nrl.com/

Most players only watch themselves play under the critical eye of the coaching staff in Monday's video review but Cameron Cullen was so excited to have made his NRL debut for the Titans in Round 6 that he watched it back as soon as he got home to the Gold Coast.

After an encouraging first-up display Cullen has earned a second start in the NRL due to the absence of halfback Ashley Taylor. Taylor was initially thought to have been suffering from either appendicitis or a gall bladder infection when he was admitted to hospital during the week but coach Neil Henry said they now believe it to be a minor tear in the oblique muscle that was enough to prevent him from travelling with the team.

Taylor's misfortune is Cullen's gain, the 22-year-old to partner Tyrone Roberts in the halves against the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium on Saturday afternoon, the fourth different halves combination the Titans have used in four straight weeks.

Having spent time with both the Broncos and Cowboys, Cullen's opportunity to join the Titans came when Kane Elgey suffered a season-ending knee injury in pre-season training and impressed in his first start against the Sharks.

The diminutive No.7 scored a try late in the first half and played nice and direct with his sharp running game, doing enough to satisfy himself that he hadn't been overawed by the occasion.

"I don't get much sleep after games, especially a debut, so I went straight home and watched it when I got home," Cullen said.

"I'm always pretty critical of my own performance after any game. There were things that I could improve on but I was happy with how I played, that's for sure.

"I was happy with what I did out there and obviously look to build on that any more games I get.

"I didn't feel nervous running out to be honest. I felt good, after the warm-up and everything was done I felt good and ready to go. I tried not to think about it all week and keep the emotion out of it so I could go out there and do my job.

"A couple of days after I reflected on it and it's massive for me. It's been a goal of mine for a very long time, I've put so much hard work into it and to finally achieve it was a bit of a relief.

"I'll never forget the experience and it's definitely made me hungry to play more."

At a time of the season where continuity of personnel is important the loss of Taylor is another disruption the Titans could do without.

After two weeks out with a knee injury Tyrone Roberts made his return last week against the Dragons and coach Neil Henry remains confident that he and Cullen can combine well against a Bulldogs team who lost narrowly to the Warriors last weekend.

"We have had four different combinations in four weeks but 'Cullo' playing on that left side, he can stay there and Tyrone will be on that right side where he's played most of his footy anyway for us in particular," Henry said.

"Cullo didn't let anybody down in that debut game against Cronulla. He scored a try and he's nice and direct.

"Tyrone might have to take on a bit more of the kicking but he tends to be the dominant kicker anyway. Ash has been good but I think we've got a capable back-up."

Two points behind the Bulldogs on the ladder and level with five other teams on six competition points, Henry said that while they face a difficult assignment it is important to try and keep pace with the top eight.

"There are a lot of teams on similar points and you can drop down the ladder pretty quickly," Henry said.

"We've had a few thereabout kind of games with a couple of five-point losses but it is a tough assignment down there. Their form has been a bit up and down too and they'll be smarting after that loss to the Warriors.

"They got back into that game late and we'll need to improve to be a chance of beating them down there.

"It's not insurmountable but we need to go down there and play to our ability."

DIEHARD
23-04-16, 02:24 PM
Updated team lists: Bulldogs v Titans

Titans playmaker Cameron Cullen made his NRL debut in Round 6. Credit: Robb Cox. Copyright: NRL Photos.
Titans halfback Ashley Taylor is out of Saturday's clash with the Bulldogs after being hospitalised with abdominal pains during the week.

Fellow rookie Cameron Cullen returns to the side in Taylor's place.

For the Bulldogs, Crag Garvey has been included on the interchange with Adam Elliott and Lloyd Perrett dropping off the extended bench.

Bulldogs
1 Will Hopoate
2 Curtis Rona
3 Josh Morris
4 Kerrod Holl
5 Sam Perrett
6 Josh Reynolds
7 Moses Mbye
8 Aiden Tolman
9 Michael Lichaa
10 James Graham (c)
11 Josh Jackson
12 Tony Williams
13 Greg Eastwood

14 Sam Kasiano
15 Tim Browne
16 David Klemmer
21 Craig Garvey

Titans
1 William Zillman
2 Anthony Don
3 Josh Hoffman
4 Nene Macdonald
5 David Mead
6 Tyrone Roberts
19 Cameron Cullen
8 David Shillington
9 Nathan Friend (c)
10 Ryan James
11 Zeb Taia
12 Chris McQueen
13 Greg Bird

14 Luke Douglas
15 Leivaha Pulu
16 Agnatius Paasi
17 Kierran Moseley

DIEHARD
23-04-16, 02:28 PM
Bulldogs v Titans: Schick Preview

ANZ Stadium
Saturday, 3pm

Sometimes the Telstra Premiership can throw up anomalies that are hard to explain yet impossible to ignore.

For the past four seasons the Bulldogs have been perennial premiership contenders and the Titans haven't finished better than ninth yet it is the Titans who have won four of the past five meetings between these two teams.

The Bulldogs call ANZ Stadium home yet technically have not won a 'home' game there this season. (Their 42-12 win over the Rabbitohs in Round 4 was a South Sydney home game.) On the other hand, the Titans have only been defeated once at ANZ Stadium since 2008, recording four wins against the Bulldogs and Rabbitohs.

Like the popularity of the Kardashians and the combination of chocolate and peanut butter there are some things beyond our understanding and perhaps that includes a stranglehold that the Titans hold over the Bulldogs.

Or Des Hasler's men could flex their considerable muscle as they did against Souths, blow the slow-starting Titans off the park and give the rest of the NRL a reminder that it might not necessarily be an all-Queensland grand final for a second straight year.

The only changes for the Bulldogs are the additions of Lloyd Perrett and Craig Garvey to an extended bench while the Titans again go into a game with a different 17 that took the field the week prior.

Lock Greg Bird is back from suspension but Gold Coast will be without Daniel Mortimer (hamstring), hooker Kierran Moseley included on a five-man bench.

The match will see Greg Eastwood play his 200th NRL game and Luke Douglas become just the 21st player to play 100 games for two NRL clubs when he runs out for his 100th game for the Titans, the 246th NRL game of his career that began with the Sharks in 2006.

Watch out Bulldogs: It has been evident this year that Ryan James is no longer to be content as a contributor to the Titans, he wants to be a leader. The most penalised player in the competition last season wasn't in the top 50 heading into Round 7 and produced an 80-minute performance that saw him yield 171 metres along with 61 tackles and three tackle busts. Averaging close to 60 minutes per game he faces off against Canterbury skipper James Graham on Saturday with a responsibility to lead his forward pack into battle against one of the most formidable opposition in the competition. It's an assignment he is looking more and more ready to handle.

Watch out Titans: Nathan Hindmarsh once described him to me as the hardest player he ever tried to tackle and while he may not receive many of the plaudits Bulldogs winger Sam Perrett is in a rare vein of form. In addition to scoring a crucial try he produced a terrific defensive effort marking up on Marika Koroibete in the Bulldogs' win over the Storm in Round 6 and then last week against the Warriors he crossed twice in the space of four minutes, had two try assists, three line breaks, five tackle busts and two line-break assists. A brilliant dummy-half runner, you know Perrett will be dependable, but he might also be brilliant.

Key match-up: Greg Eastwood v Greg Bird. Full disclosure; I'm an unabashed fan of 'Beastwood' and the fact that he is footballer first, athlete second. Playing in his 200th NRL game he brings so much skill to the Bulldogs through the middle of the field and with minimal physical exertion is able to put attacking players flat on their backs through impeccable defensive technique. Greg Bird had to sit on the sideline last Saturday as he served a one-game suspension for a careless high tackle and will be eager to push his case for selection in the Test team in a fortnight. You're never exactly sure what you're going to get with these two but you know that at any moment they can deliver the game-changing play that turns a contest on its head.

History: Played 13; Bulldogs 6, Titans 7. With four wins from their past five games the Titans' recent record against the Bulldogs is their equal best in the NRL despite going down 36-14 in Gosford last year. Canterbury winger Curtis Rona scored a double on that occasion, the second time he had done so in as many games against Gold Coast. In seven of the 13 games between the two teams the Bulldogs have kept the Titans to one try or less in the first half and gone on to win five of them, the biggest shock coming in Round 26, 2014 when the Titans came from 18-0 down at the break to win 19-18.

What are the odds: Bulldogs $1.35, Titans $3.20. There are almost as many individual bets on the Titans to cause an upset, however there's twice as many dollars invested on the Bulldogs to win this game. Bulldogs 1-12 is more popular than a 13-plus victory according to Sportsbet. Latest odds at Sportsbet.com.au.

Match officials: Referee: Ashley Klein; Assistant Referee: Chris James; Touch Judges: Ricky Macfarlane and Anthony Eliott; Review Officials: Jason Robinson and Ben Galea; Senior RO: Bernard Sutton.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 2.30pm.

How we see it: A demanding fortnight on the road to Melbourne and Wellington will have been physically taxing on the Bulldogs but expect them to respond in a big way on home soil. Providing the weather is good a 3pm kick-off will suit their halves pairing of Josh Reynolds and Moses Mbye who will look to stretch a Titans defence that has to first contend with the big Bulldogs forwards. If the Titans concede first points – as they have for the past six weeks – it could turn into a long afternoon. Bulldogs by 14 points.

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 02:47 PM
Key Match Up Greg Eastwood v Greg Bird. Who writes this stuff?

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 03:22 PM
Yeehaa, cashed in a couple of get out of jail free cards but finally scored first. Nice work. Looked soft but got the result.

- - - Updated - - -

Nene still unimpressive with his grasping at air defensive style.

If we pushed up as a team when attacking I think some of the opportune offloads we see would make us look a much better offensive team. Too many times do we see a free hand a look but no one running onto a possible offload.

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 03:35 PM
How pissed off is Mead getting playing outside gluegun hands Hoffman? It's getting well beyond the joke now.

Boonarga
23-04-16, 03:36 PM
McDonald on fire. Throws the ball away then gives a soft penalty.

psmitty
23-04-16, 03:36 PM
McDonald - dropped balls, penalties and missed tackles. Needs some time in Q Cup

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 03:44 PM
Got to agree, I've seen enough from Nene today to think Davis gets a spot back. He is so far out of position and commiting to tackles that McQueen has covered. He needs some work. Shame.

Firetruck
23-04-16, 03:46 PM
McDonald is being schoole....by anyone who wants to run in his general direction.

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 03:46 PM
We are looking a different team after the first 40 mins compared to last week. Hopefully we can still come home strong.

Titanic Believer
23-04-16, 03:49 PM
Don looks lost in defence.

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 03:51 PM

Cause he can't find the guy that's supposed to be on his left.

Boonarga
23-04-16, 03:52 PM

A winger can only tackle what the inside players leave him with. Not his fault.

Barrels
23-04-16, 03:53 PM
I have actually really been impressed with Zilly. he has shown a great amount of character in his defence and he has been getting into James Graham a bit. Don and Nene's edge has been destroyed by the attack. Might be time to give Davis and Olive a go.

Taia is a tank, he plays with so much effort, really like him. Forwards as a whole have been solid. Defence needs a bit of work but otherwise we are looking okay. hopefully the Bulldogs forwards tire out in the second and we can start moving through the middle and maybe the rain will clear up and we can start working the offload.

Anyway we are looking better than last week, we tend to come home stronger in the second half anyway so hopefully we can get something going.

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 04:08 PM
Cullen with a brilliant 40/20 in these conditions and then the refs stifle any quick play. The refs were in position and we get told to wait.

- - - Updated - - -

5th tackle option looking unrehe****d, unpolished and panicked. Nothing wrong with a repeat set ppl.

gotitans101_
23-04-16, 04:08 PM
man..you can't drop Cullen from this team..has HAS to fit in somewhere.

Also, bring back Davis!

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 04:10 PM
Ugh. No one expecting an off load and we pretty much lead the NRL in offloads. Now Bird is off. Worst news we could have received.

Boonarga
23-04-16, 04:11 PM
Definite crusher on Bird. Being who he is there will be nothing done.

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 04:14 PM
Definite crusher on Bird. Being who he is there will be nothing done.

Klemmer basically sprawls on his neck and holds, no review, no penalty and lets face it, when has a bulldog ever gone to a judiciary and not got off.

Boonarga
23-04-16, 04:26 PM
Bird gets it! Bypass Hoffman, straight to Mead.

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 04:26 PM
Winning formula, Bird worked it out. Cut out ball past Hoffman and Mead will score. Poor bastards hand is nearly falling off with all the waving he's doing looking at a clear track in front of him all arvo.

5 Year Contract
23-04-16, 04:35 PM
Work Mead! All i'll say is what I said all week. Out left is just bleeding metres for the 5th game in a row. Take 20m, a line break or both whenever you want to run at Nene. The longer we want to go with a giant centre who wont run hard and a winger with no pace we wont be competing at our best.

All that said Cullen needs to be our utility!

- - - Updated - - -

Team needs to take note of Cullen. 110% in everything he is doing

- - - Updated - - -

Finally some luck!!!!!! love it

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 04:35 PM
Thank christ Hoffman didn't need to pass that. Nail biter finish again.

Barrels
23-04-16, 04:36 PM
aye that is stingy
as i said last week, im really starting to hate these close finishes from us, hopefully this week we can finish it off

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 04:37 PM
James Graham barking at his team, douchebag you dropped it one off the scrum 10 mins ago.

- - - Updated - - -

No penalty for Bird that if he did it to someone would be out for a week. How about a bit of consistency.

5 Year Contract
23-04-16, 04:39 PM
Come on boys grind this out!!!!!!!! AND THERES OUR LEFT EDGE!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

WHAT WAS THAT. WHY NOT TAKE THE FG!!!! ****ING STUPID!!!!

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 04:40 PM
Zilly field goal from Rd 26 2014. Can lightning strike twice?

5 Year Contract
23-04-16, 04:41 PM
Although my posts like manic depressive geeze we are LIFTING this last 10. Love it

- - - Updated - - -

ROBERTS HAS NO IDEA

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 04:43 PM
Moseley you ****ing moron.

5 Year Contract
23-04-16, 04:43 PM
****ing blown this completely a DISGRACE

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 04:45 PM
Thank you Morris, you and Moseley can buy each other a beer.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy ****, are you kidding me. Time to calm your tits and tell these fringe players to take a back seat (except Cullen).

5 Year Contract
23-04-16, 04:48 PM
What was Roberts reasoning by turning down 2 FG attempts with the second kicking on tackle 4 with an open line!!! Moselys was a coach killer.

- - - Updated - - -

Was that an attempt???

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 04:48 PM
First set of six it would appear we have no plan. That would have needed Pat Richards to drop kick it from there.

5 Year Contract
23-04-16, 04:52 PM
Here we go. They seriously need to talk this god damn attempt over here because I cant take another blown chance

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Roberts you are costing us today mate

- - - Updated - - -

Tough to take that one. Nothing to say. There for us but couldnt get it

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 04:52 PM
When you need someone to stand up.

Can't wait to see Birds stats. He was magnificent tonight. Another hard loss.

5 Year Contract
23-04-16, 04:53 PM
Cant be given more chances to win at the end there but not good enough Roberts made 4 **** choices that cost us.

Great courage show for us to get back in there but again we are starting with a handicap when we are putting our best 17 out there.

Bird and Cullen deadset that is players giving everything they have and leaving it on the field.

Ah wells onto next week our looks like our season is heading down the ****ter

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 04:55 PM
We are getting better. But it seems to be off Birds back, so if he gave advice to some up and coming that might see him get a pay rise then management can take a hit. We aren't much without him in my opinion.

5 Year Contract
23-04-16, 04:57 PM
We are getting better. But it seems to be off Birds back, so if he gave advice to some up and coming that might see him get a pay rise then management can take a hit. We aren't much without him in my opinion.

He is our Captain regardless of the C next to Zill and Friend on the score sheet

Toads
23-04-16, 04:58 PM
Really missed not having Ash Taylor there the last 10 minutes (at least).

Oh well, so glad our for 'n against is still intact. So much better than a few years ago when we'd leak lots of points in last ten minutes of a game. That appears to be the real gain we've had so far this year, compared to others. We're gettin' there. :)

Barrels
23-04-16, 04:58 PM
Are we unlucky or just ****, sometimes i honestly just can't tell.

**** i can't wait until next year when we have Elgey and Taylor as our halves combinations with Cullen on the bench replacing Mortimer. Roberts was outshadowed by a 2-game rookie today. Shows how desperate we were after that whole DCE backflip. Speaking of which, guess who would have nailed the fieldgoal attempt. ****ing disgraceful.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. **** Golden Point. **** The Bulldogs. **** Tyrone Roberts. **** DCE. and Don and Nene can **** off back to Queensland cup where they belong.

TitanSam
23-04-16, 05:00 PM
"Moseley is the answer he provides so much spark off the bench." - LOL

*Olive has an average game against Broncos*

"Olive needs to be dropped what a terrible player". - guaranteed he would've done a better job than Nene today.

Nene doesn't offer much. You'd think that after Munster, Holmes, Lee etc out he'd play his guts out each week to try and break into that QLD spot.

titanfan1980
23-04-16, 05:01 PM
Here we go. They seriously need to talk this god damn attempt over here because I cant take another blown chance

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Roberts you are costing us today mate

- - - Updated - - -

Tough to take that one. Nothing to say. There for us but couldnt get it

Today?? He's been costing us all year he is honestly useless, drop balls can't kick, Cullen kicked a 4/20 and found grass, Roberts finds players every time. He should be last in halves rotation elgey, Taylor, Cullen, daylight, Roberts.. Our forwards tried so damn hard.. James made nearly every tackle in that last set then charged it down..

Titanic Believer
23-04-16, 05:02 PM
Are the stats showing our defence is ....:nope:.. but our scramble and heart way up there. How many line breaks against us but still hanging in and finding a way to be competitive. An expected but very disappointing loss. Changes in the backline next week, and Cullen our bench utility?

Barrels
23-04-16, 05:04 PM
Cullen has to play to some degree. He is brilliant. I'd start him over roberts next week most definitely

Titanic
23-04-16, 05:08 PM
Gee, lads that's a bit over the top. We lost that in the ten minutes before 1/2 time not in the last ten minutes. Imagine having no FG strategy? Henry is a frigging genius. It is as obvious as the titanic nose on Laurie Daley's face that the first half starts are because we don't have the best team on the field.

Not sure why Moseley is copping so much grief. He was brought on late in a game that was a real slogging affair and did what he could with limited chances. Made some mistakes but less than Zillman's dropped balls or Macdonald's missed tackles or Hoffman's hogging.

I liked very little about that game except that we dug in. Douglas was awesome in my opinion while Pulu and Paasi's go forward are great. I totally agree that Taia is a machine but McQueen is a burn-out in attack after covering MacDonald in defence. I'll save the best for last ...

Our half combination must be Cullen/Taylor ... Cullen's frantic defence really locks-up that left side ... Roberts should be the utility.

3 from 8 with 4 losses in a row means it's time for changes ... Davis for MacDonald, Olive for Don and if we have to have Zillman then get Mead back on the right.

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 05:09 PM
Mortimer is out for two to four weeks but I can't see Henry dropping Moseley for a player that, correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't played 9.

5 Year Contract
23-04-16, 05:12 PM
Yeah until we lifted at the end we need to fix our defensive line. The end score didn't really reflect that we were giving up huge yards every set. No one was pushing up off the line so the Bulldogs could just take whatever metres they wanted.

We also looked really flat in attack for most of the match especially when in the opposition 20. We seemed to be flat footed and trying to then barge over the line instead of steaming onto the ball and pushing the dogs back.

Alot to work on and we all know King will name an unchanged team next week (apart from Ash coming back in) so I dont know. At the moment we are being competitive on grit, scramble, individual brilliance and a bit of luck. The difference between being competitive and winning is not something I think we will see if Henry continues down the same path this year

gotitans101_
23-04-16, 05:21 PM
"Moseley is the answer he provides so much spark off the bench." - LOL

*Olive has an average game against Broncos*

"Olive needs to be dropped what a terrible player". - guaranteed he would've done a better job than Nene today.

Nene doesn't offer much. You'd think that after Munster, Holmes, Lee etc out he'd play his guts out each week to try and break into that QLD spot.

Davis should be given another crack before Olive imo

Also can't see Henry running with a Taylor / Cullen halves combo...Roberts will be there so long as he's fit.

Smakked
23-04-16, 05:24 PM
What a ****ful game , Henry needs to make some hard decisions next week. As soon as it went to golden point i knew we would not win. Bird is on fire but he seems the only one putting in 100% , both him and James.

ozynorts
23-04-16, 05:25 PM
I think that game is a true representation of where we stand. The players all tried hard but there are some areas that need a lot of work.

Barrels
23-04-16, 05:27 PM
it's time we stopped using the "well we got close but we were just beaten by the better team" card and actually started to chase results. Henry needs to shed some players, we can't keep lying to ourselves and say this is descent football.*

*I am of course talking to Neil Henry and Titans staff. I know everyone here thinks along a very similar wavelength.

JunctionBlock
23-04-16, 05:30 PM
Not sure why Moseley is copping so much grief. He was brought on late in a game that was a real slogging affair and did what he could with limited chances. Made some mistakes but less than Zillman's dropped balls or Macdonald's missed tackles or Hoffman's hogging.

I liked very little about that game except that we dug in. Douglas was awesome in my opinion while Pulu and Paasi's go forward are great. I totally agree that Taia is a machine but McQueen is a burn-out in attack after covering MacDonald in defence. I'll save the best for last ...

Our half combination must be Cullen/Taylor ... Cullen's frantic defence really locks-up that left side ... Roberts should be the utility.

3 from 8 with 4 losses in a row means it's time for changes ... Davis for MacDonald, Olive for Don and if we have to have Zillman then get Mead back on the right.

I think Moseley needs to be held to task on his 5th tackle option late in the game, hopefully that will come up in their review session. I can't agree that there wasn't much to like. I thought that was one of our best games to date.

Like the idea of Nene to Davis but that's a great idea regarding doing a "Penrith" and changing the halfs combination and moving Roberts to the Utility.

Titan4Life
23-04-16, 05:53 PM
Honestly, while I'm disappointed by the loss I still can see we have improved 100% on last year. We seem to this year be fighting until the end and showing a heap of effort. One point of the game that stands out for me is the Ryan James charge down. That kind of effort is absolutely outstanding and shows that Ryan is putting his absolute best in. While effort doesn't win you games, it certainly builds character for the future.

Also, I think if we had Taylor today we probably win. 95% of Roberts kicks went straight to men and he couldn't kick a field goal. Can't say for sure but I reckon Ash would have nailed one.

We seem to just be missing that last piece of the puzzle. Getting so close but losing games by 1-6. Just lacking that extra bit. Once we find that, we will be competitive.

teke
23-04-16, 06:02 PM
Entertaining game.

There wasn't anything new we didn't know. Attack sux, we need centres and good ole butterfingers is still FB. I think if Hoff lets go of 2 passes Mead scores, he is a big problem.

Stylistically the Titans match up well with the way the dogs play

Geeman
23-04-16, 06:53 PM
Slight technical hitch with the round 8 moejoe voting, Paasi is listed twice and Taylor is there instead of Cullen :laugh:

Firetruck
23-04-16, 07:08 PM
Given that they got so close to the Dogs tonight, the Coach won't make many changes for next week . Except for a dropped ball, Zillman had a fairly good game so he is safe ( not that he would ever be in danger). But Nene cannot continue to hold down a spot in first grade. His lack of commitment and technique in defence is shocking. Can only be Davis and Olive to choose from because the lads in NYC aren't up to first grade yet.

gotitans101_
23-04-16, 07:24 PM
I think we've been calling for Nene to be dropped for quite a while now...funny how we notice he's down on form but the coach doesn't.

Titan4Life
23-04-16, 08:08 PM
I'm a Neil Henry supporter. Love what he's done for our club.

But surely he realises something isn't working. I am a Nene fan in attack but his defence is being targeted. Would hope Davis comes in.

There needs to be some changes. Not sure we will see them though because we aren't being beaten by big margins.

rj62
23-04-16, 08:40 PM
I think we've been calling for Nene to be dropped for quite a while now...funny how we notice he's down on form but the coach doesn't.

Who's your replacement ?

Barrels
23-04-16, 08:45 PM
I too have to give Henry praise, but surely by now he can see something is the problem. I really think we should try a halves pairing of Cullen and Taylor, with Roberts off the bench. Zillman was okay but Nene and Don should probably be dropped. Nene is good in attack but he and don were ran all over today. Zillman showed alot of courage with some of his last moment tackles. I really think we should try to get 80 mins out of friend. he could have been the difference in the last 10 minutes of that match.

rj62
23-04-16, 08:48 PM
After the first 2 games this season I felt a change. I'm not sure if it was belief , trust, hope ... I really have no idea but I do believe that the coach has instilled something in this group.

They are scrambling , they are playing decent footy compared to seasons past and more importantly we are competing and not getting belted each week.
Not forgetting we've got our chief playmaker out and are now relying on a bloke that has a couple of NRL games to his name. No pressure at all (?!?!?) but I reckon he's handling it brilliantly.

King was obviously p'd off at the presser as I'm sure the guys are as well.

I backed them to be in the final 8 after 2 rounds and I'm still on that bus.

Hang in there fellas - it's not far away.

DavidBouveng
23-04-16, 10:13 PM
tyrones upside to Cullen was his experience, but if a 100 game half cant get a field goal over the bar with three opportunities in good field position, then we might as well use Cullen instead of tyrone from here on out. Cullen pumped a mean 40/20, runs and tackles ( even if he misses some, he slows it down ala presto ), and fights till the end. for mine, he is like a smaller, less hot headed, but more skillful Paul Carter, and it is crystal clear in my mind he should be the bench utility. He could make a good little career out of it for a few years and then get picked up by another team, or come into our once someone steals Ash or LG for millions.

James and Bird were huge, and Taia was making heaps of runs when the going was tough. Pulu tried hard, but i dont think there is as big a gap between him and Paasi as there was 8 weeks ago. Pulu has improved and Paasi declined slightly. Douglas was strong too.

I'll stick my neck out and say that friend's value is more for team culture and professionalism, and defence more than attack. Im glad we have him, but i hope we find a long term solution soon.

Zill went back to what we know he is with some shoddy hands, and i was so excited about what Nene was gonna do this year, but he is a shadow of last years player.

Cannot fault our effort, but execution is wanting. with Meads extra metres from FB, maybe we are 10m closer for those Fg attempts today, maybe Davis gets a hand free and uses his ball handling that no one else in our backloine has to put Don away...

we are SO CLOSE due to the effort from forwards and our scramble...but the points / metres / ingredients we need are being lost at the selection table each week.

Just-a-Fan
23-04-16, 10:28 PM
There are 2 problems in our side Hoffman and Zillman
Nene is a Left centre playing on the right but made 27 tackle and only missed 2 so I dont get it why people are saying he cant make a tackle
Josh Hoffman cant read plays hogs the ball should of passed 2 or 3 times today it took a cut out pass from Bird to Mead and miss Hoffman to score Zillman wont put his bidy on the line to stop a try Josh Jackson try where was
Zillman jumping ovr him Mead would of tried every thing to stop it
I really feel sorry for the players this week most of them played with big hearts and to go down in extra time
Everyone knows Roberts cant kick field goals so why didnt our Captain step up and take it he has kicked them before
Moseley and Cullen had good games
I yhik we will not win many games with Zillman in the FB and Hoffman centre spot

Whats Doing
23-04-16, 11:02 PM
Roberts showed at the Knights he lacked confidence and skills. Apart from a go and show, he is a one trick pony and nothing else. He cannot prise a defence open with ball skills and he passes so far away from the defensive line that it poses no threats at all to the defence. Compare his skill set to that shown by Cullen in only his second game when he double pumped to put Taia in for the try. Roberts leadership in golden point was non existant and I will be glad when Elgey and Taylor are our halves next year with Cullen the back up.

The centres are also in need of a major overhaul with Nene and Hoff clearly out of their depth as centres.

shamus
24-04-16, 01:06 AM
Bombing on the 3rd tackle, 30 metres out at 20 all with 5 minutes to go. WTF!

Roberts does not have a football brain. Sorry Tyrone.

DIEHARD
24-04-16, 02:15 AM
Bombing on the 3rd tackle, 30 metres out at 20 all with 5 minutes to go. WTF!

That was tragic.

Happy to see us compete and get back into it. Very encouraging. But we really were found out in experience and organisation.

I really enjoyed seeing Mead's try and some lovely play leading up to it.

JunctionBlock
24-04-16, 08:06 AM
I'm not blaming this game on Roberts. We knew when he came here he wasn't a game winning half or we would have had to pay more than $150K for him. As a QLDer I've sat back for years and watch the supposed best halfs NSW can muster miss field goals time and time again. Heck last week it took Cronk three attempts. A win would have been great again but it wasn't expected.

Hopefully some subtle changes next week and we keep improving. At least we aren't getting 50 or 60 points put on us. We are competitive and the law of averages says that at sometime we will steal a win.

TITAN PETE
24-04-16, 09:27 AM
Just watched the replay & it's great to see the boys never throw the towel in no matter what the scoreline is but the coaching decisions still need plenty of work , for me Henry's biggest mistake (apart from picking Zillman in the squad)was not putting Friend back on in the last 10 minutes , we needed experience & Mosely showed he has zero when it was required , I would like to see Cullen given a go as our utility on the bench some stage throughout the season, he may be a better option than Morts.

Great games from our forward pack again today Bird & James are playing brilliant footy along with Zeb,Pulu & Douglas is hitting some really good form now, Passi was much quieter this week.......I think Macdonald could be something special if he wasn't so lazy

Bring on the Melbourne Prawns

teke
24-04-16, 08:32 PM
I think Macdonald could be something special if he wasn't so lazy
I knew he was another E Tonga, if they just knew what they could do with a diff attitude

gcboyz
28-04-16, 05:42 PM
Probably not the best game from Tyrone Roberts , however to me our biggest problem is lack of kickers. When there only two kicking options we become predictable. The Bulldogs knew every time who the ball was headed to on the fifth tackle. We need a hooker and a fullback who are both kicking options as well. No secret we are a better side with Ash Taylor playing.
I am still not convinced that Moseley is our long term hooker and our current fullback options seem unable to kick or pass.