PDA

View Full Version : Round 5: TITANS vs BRONCOS

DIEHARD
27-03-16, 11:35 AM
<br><br><table width='90%' class='theader'><tr style='font-weight: bold; height: 140px;'><td width='40%' class='bgimg tit'>&nbsp;</td><td width='20%' rowspan='2' style='text-align: center; font-size: 60px;'>vs</td><td width='40%'class='bgimg bro'>&nbsp;</td></tr><tr style='font-weight: bold; font-size: 18px;'><td width='40%'>Gold Coast Titans</td><td width='40%'>Brisbane Broncos</td></tr></table><br>
Fri 1 Apr, 8:05PM Cbus Super Stadium<br><br><table width="100%" id="teams"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" align="right" width="40%"><table class="teamlists"><tbody><tr><td align="right"><div>David Mead</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Anthony Don</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Josh Hoffman</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>John Olive</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Nene Macdonald</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Tyrone Roberts</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Ashley Taylor</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>David Shillington</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Nathan Friend</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Ryan James</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Zeb Taia</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Chris McQueen</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Greg Bird</div></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" align="center">&nbsp;</td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Luke Douglas</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Agnatius Paasi</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Leivaha Pulu</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Daniel Mortimer</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Eddy Pettybourne</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Cameron Cullen</div></td></tr><tr><td align="right"><div>Kierran Moseley</div></td></tr><tr style="height:40px;"><td>&nbsp;</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td valign="top" align="center" width="20%"><table class="teamlists"><tbody><tr><td class="tl_position">Fullback</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Wing</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Centre</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Centre</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Wing</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Five-eighth</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Halfback</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Prop</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Hooker</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Prop</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Second Row</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Second Row</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Lock</td></tr><tr><td align="center">&nbsp;</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Interchange</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Interchange</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Interchange</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Interchange</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Interchange</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Interchange</td></tr><tr><td class="tl_position">Interchange</td></tr><tr style="height:40px;"><td class="tl_position">Coach</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td valign="top" align="left" width="40%"><table class="teamlists"><tbody><tr><td align="left"><div>Darius Boyd</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Corey Oates</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Jack Reed</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>James Roberts</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Jordan Kahu</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Anthony Milford</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Ben Hunt</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Josh McGuire</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Andrew McCullough</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Adam Blair</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Alex Glenn</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Matt Gillett</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Corey Parker</div></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" align="center">&nbsp;</td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Jarrod Wallace</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Sam Thaiday</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Joe Ofahengaue</div></td></tr><tr><td align="left"><div>Kodi Nikorima</div></td></tr><tr><td>&nbsp;</td></tr><tr><td>&nbsp;</td></tr><tr><td>&nbsp;</td></tr><tr style="height:40px;"><td>&nbsp;</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

DIEHARD
27-03-16, 11:36 AM
Hopefully we can get a worthy crowd for this derby. Our only derby in 2016 regular season.

Tickets: http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=titans16

TITAN PETE
27-03-16, 02:44 PM
We should see close to 25k for this match anything less barring bad weather will be a fail

Barrels
27-03-16, 04:07 PM
hopefully the home fans see we're in good form and come out to support the team, i'd be reasonably happy with 20k, but 25k should be the aim.

Mr Bods
27-03-16, 05:12 PM
Well I'm hoping my fellow Titan Fans show The Ingrate JRoberts the hatred and disrespect he deserves

Titanic
27-03-16, 05:45 PM
Well I'm hoping my fellow Titan Fans show The Ingrate JRoberts the hatred and disrespect he deservesBloody too right ... I've bought 16 tickets to get my mob from China in and have been coaching them on who and how to hate.

Barrels
27-03-16, 07:28 PM
there should be some pretty dank signage. A few home crowd chants too. Hopefully more Titans fans turn up than broncos fans.

teke
27-03-16, 08:24 PM
there should be some pretty dank signage. A few home crowd chants too. Hopefully more Titans fans turn up than broncos fans.Something like - Roberts please leave Hoffy Alone?

Nols of the Goldy
27-03-16, 09:24 PM
This just in the Courier Mail:

James Roberts says he doesn’t care what former Titans teammates think of him

JAMES Roberts could not care less if his ex-teammates at the Titans think he’s a traitor, with his only concern ahead of the M1 derby being what his Broncos mates think of him.

Roberts had his coming out party against North Queensland last Friday, scoring a crucial late try and setting up Anthony Milford for his try in the first half.

His return to form came at the right time as he confronts the team he left in December after it was discovered the club had forged a signature on his contract.

Titans players weren’t happy when Roberts left. Gold Coast forward Greg Bird said Roberts had used the forged signature as a scapegoat.

Bird is already getting stuck into Roberts, texting him ahead of the derby at Cbus Super Stadium this Friday.

Roberts told The Courier-Mail he expected the Titans to sledge him throughout the match.

“I’m not too sure how they feel about me for leaving but to be honest I don’t care, I’m not worried about the past,” Roberts said.

“For sure, they are going to get stuck into me. I know Greg Bird will be out there giving it to me.

“He messaged me before the game (against Cowboys) and said I will be seeing you next week.

“I’m just worried about the future and I’m happy here at the Broncos.

“As long as the Broncos are happy with me, I’m happy with them.

“It’s only early days but I’m starting to feel more comfortable.

“I probably thought it would take longer to settle in here to be honest, but it was great to get a game like that and it’s important I improve my consistency now.”

The Broncos are likely to be without Jordan Kahu for the clash but Jack Reed will return from an eye injury.

Corey Oates is an outside chance of returning from a shoulder injury.

Cameron Cullen is set to make his Titans debut following an injury to the Titans’ Tyrone Roberts.

Roberts collapsed to the ground clutching his knee in the 48th minute of Gold Coast’s weekend victory over Canberra.

His injury sparked the 14th man fiasco when David Shillington was brought on to replace him even though Roberts stayed on the field.

Cullen was a train and trial player in the pre-season who was brought to the club following Kane Elgey’s season-ending injury.

Tryone Roberts’ injury is minor but he has suffered ligament damage and could miss one or two games.

James Roberts was on the longest try drought of his career, six games, prior to Friday night’s grand final rematch.

He said Wayne Bennett had been stressing to him the importance of defending well, believing his attack was inevitable.

“It was worth the wait. I’ve been focusing on my defensive efforts and it’s paid off with my attack,” Roberts said.

“I was looking to get more involved and get some early touches.

“It’s definitely a confidence booster going into the Titans.

“It’s definitely nice to get that pressure off my back and now I want to bring it next week against my old club.

“I still have quite a few mates at the Titans. I still live down on the Gold Coast so I catch up with a few of the guys.”

Good on ya Birdy, give the Judas heaps for all of us. :fight:

indoallstars
27-03-16, 09:36 PM
If Roberts is out, I would love to see Cameron Cullen have a dig at first grade. It would be good to see if he can secure a spot starting at a local derby, will be great atmosphere. Cmon Cullen

Titanic
27-03-16, 10:42 PM
Just as long as I don't see Zillman or Mortimer in the half's then I'd be fine with just about anyone else ... Cullen seems the logical choice.

DavidBouveng
28-03-16, 12:00 AM
if i knew nothing of Cullen i might be cautious... but in the Burleigh trial he seemed the type to rip in and play with effort. was our best half that day.

Im ok with this. we have a good record of young players stepping up this year for the first time in a while

JunctionBlock
28-03-16, 10:17 AM
Simple game plan. If Jimmy makes a break and has a run, send everything down his side for the next 20 mins because that's how long it takes him to recover. His lazy defence should be exploited, every time we go down that side throw the dummy watch him rush out of the line to intercept or throw a hand at it and go through his gap.

teke
28-03-16, 02:40 PM
Simple game plan. If Jimmy makes a break and has a run, send everything down his side for the next 20 mins because that's how long it takes him to recover. His lazy defence should be exploited, every time we go down that side throw the dummy watch him rush out of the line to intercept or throw a hand at it and go through his gap.thats what Ricky Stuart did to the Titans last yr. Dig in behind him when he rushes up. Worked well

Nols of the Goldy
28-03-16, 06:39 PM
Today in the Courier Mail:

NRL Judiciary: Titans’ Ryan James could miss derby against Broncos

IN-FORM Titans prop Ryan James is set for a date with the judiciary in a bid to play in Friday’s local derby against the Broncos.

James was hit with a grade one dangerous contact charge from Saturday’s comeback win against the Raiders in Canberra.

James, who was captaining the Titans in the absence of Nathan Friend and William Zillman, tackled Raiders winger Jordan Rapana following a 20m restart and appeared to twist his right leg in the process.

Rapana reacted by pushing James but the incident went unnoticed by the on-field referees.

Because of a poor record, James is facing a one-match suspension regardless of whether he enters an early guilty plea or fights the charge and loses at the judiciary.

The Titans will advise the NRL of their decision on Tuesday. Coach Neil Henry said James had been an integral part of the Gold Coast’s early-season success.

“Ryan James has been very good for a few weeks now,” Henry said. “The Broncos are a very good forward pack. We need our big men going forward.

“Luke Douglas hasn’t been getting the minutes he normally does but his quality on the field has been very good. Coming off the bench he’s really added. He’s been strong with his carries and doing a good job defensively.

“At the moment there’s a bit of depth around the squad, particularly the forwards, which is a good thing.”

Friend (head knocks) is expected to return to the team for the Broncos clash after sitting out the Raiders game as a precaution.

Five-eighth Tyrone Roberts is racing the clock to be fit though after suffering a knee injury against the Raiders. Initial indications suggest Roberts’ injury isn’t serious but Cameron Cullen, Greg Bird and Daniel Mortimer are options to fill in if needed.

“He’s a lot better than he was after the game,” Henry said of Roberts.

“The swelling has gone down and he’s walking around OK. We can’t get a scan done until (Tuesday) but I’d say he’d be very doubtful for Friday night. It’s disappointing. He’s been very good for us and is a big part of our kicking game.

“Cameron Cullen is playing good footy for Burleigh and we’ve got Birdy who likes to play there too so we’ll wait and see.”

The Titans are unlikely to appeal a $5000 fine for briefly fielding 14 players against the Raiders.

Veteran prop David Shillington was the extra player who left the field because of some quick-thinking teammates.

“I got on the field and Ash Taylor and Zeb Taia screamed at me to get off because Tyrone was still on,” Shillington said.

“It disadvantaged us. I left a gaping 15m hole where I ran off around the posts. If they (Raiders) just ran where I went off they probably would have scored. It might have been a really sad story if Ash and Zeb weren’t alert.”

Henry said Zillman was a chance of returning from a calf strain but could make his comeback through the Intrust Super Cup.

mdrew
28-03-16, 08:03 PM
Can not believe that James is likely to miss the match but Maguire is not even facing a charge for a blatant elbow on the Cowboys hooker, interesting one that.

Just-a-Fan
28-03-16, 11:20 PM
I hope James get off he has been fantastic off the bench i think its the impact we need I am sure now Shillo will be better now as well just hope Roberts can play if not put in Cullen he show he can handle it in a trial we signed him for it Friend should be back again as well mean Mortimer or Moseley to get dropped I would swap Olive and Macdonald but play Olive centre and put Hoffman the wing and if Davis is back I would give Don a rest seems to be off his game I think olive is the only 1 to have a chance to match Jimmy the Jets speed My team would be
1 Mead
2 Davis/Don
3 Macdonald
4 Olive
5 Hoffman
6 Roberts/Cullen
7 Taylor
8 Shillo
9 Friend
10 Douglas
11 Taia
12 McQueen
13 Bird
14James/Pettybourn
15 Paasi
16 Pulu
17Mortimer/Moseley
Up the Titans

Manzo
29-03-16, 09:03 AM
i think zilly will return through qld cup, as all of our backs have been performing and you cant really just drop a performing player...

ryan james was awesome last week we need him against broncs, if davis does return we cant pair him up with jimmy-- davis is big, powerful (not fast), jimmy would run rings around him

timor 2
29-03-16, 05:02 PM
Titans
1 David Mead
2 Anthony Don
3 Josh Hoffman
4 John Olive
5 Nene Macdonald
6 Tyrone Roberts
7 Ashley Taylor
8 David Shillington
9 Nathan Friend (c)
10 Ryan James
11 Zeb Taia
12 Chris McQueen
13 Greg Bird

Interchange
14 Luke Douglas
15 Agnatius Paasi
16 Leivaha Pulu
17 Daniel Mortimer
18 Eddy Pettybourne
19 Cameron Cullen
20 Kierran Moseley

Coach: Neil Henry

Manzo
29-03-16, 05:32 PM
Broncos
1 Darius Boyd
2 Corey Oates
3 Jack Reed
4 James Roberts
5 Jordan Kahu
6 Anthony Milford
7 Ben Hunt
8 Josh McGuire
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Adam Blair
11 Alex Glenn
12 Matt Gillett
13 Corey Parker (c)

Interchange
14 Jarrod Wallace
15 Sam Thaiday
16 Joe Ofahengaue
17 Kodi Nikorima

Coach: Wayne Bennett

they have their strongest line up :(
hopefully cullen gets a shot a 17th man

Bayside Titan
29-03-16, 05:45 PM
Scans on Tyrone Roberts' knee show no significant damage, will be monitored by Titans staff in coming days.

From Tony Webeke.

karnage
29-03-16, 06:43 PM
Scans on Tyrone Roberts' knee show no significant damage, will be monitored by Titans staff in coming days.

From Tony Webeke.

YES!! Thanks for the heads up - I had been waiting on this news all week. That implies that he is a chance for Friday night??

shamus
29-03-16, 07:14 PM
I just finished reading an article about Alfie Langer and how much coaching he does on the field. It brought back memories of me watching (and commenting on) him in the past. I had forgotten all about it actually. Take note on Friday night and I think we all should be yelling at him to get off. People think Toovey was bad.....Nah, Langer wins by the proverbial country kilometre.

Titanic
29-03-16, 07:54 PM
A sign for the cameras and commentators to pick up

JunctionBlock
29-03-16, 08:29 PM
Broncos
1 Darius Boyd
2 Corey Oates
3 Jack Reed
4 James Roberts
5 Jordan Kahu
6 Anthony Milford
7 Ben Hunt
8 Josh McGuire
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Adam Blair
11 Alex Glenn
12 Matt Gillett
13 Corey Parker (c)

Interchange
14 Jarrod Wallace
15 Sam Thaiday
16 Joe Ofahengaue
17 Kodi Nikorima

Coach: Wayne Bennett

they have their strongest line up :(
hopefully cullen gets a shot a 17th man

If you want to be positive about it, 2 through to 5 are all nursing injuries.

DavidBouveng
29-03-16, 08:51 PM
broncs are coming of an overtime win, a mentally big game in which they had to be 'up' for the GF rematch in front of 45k fans whether they want to acknowledge it or not.

they will be spent and in a slight lul, and unlike previous years, we are strong enough to stick it out if we can shock them early.

they are ripe i tells you all. ripe.

Just-a-Fan
30-03-16, 11:56 AM
I would start Douglas and keep Paasi and James fresh off the bench ( if James gets off should do its a nothing tackle)
Bit worried about Hoffman marking the jet but need to make the Jet do so hard work take him awhile to recover and rushes out of the line need Taia to run at him and Hunt to tire them both out
Cullen will hold his own I am sure he will be picked has a good tackle on him (just not sure if he has played right side)
Taylor should step up for this 1 and Shillo will get us a 150meter game
Would of liked Olive to be on the left side but has the chance to show Reed up get between him and Oats and set up Don
need to start our game early not let them get a try or 2 on us Go the TITANS you have got this

Manzo
30-03-16, 02:57 PM
hoffy seems to be improving defensively he is not up to a good standard yet but is getting better--------- olive should hold his own against reed--

hopefully donn can handle corey oats

Titan4Life
30-03-16, 05:54 PM
Ryan James apparently heading into the judiciary soon to fight the charge. Hoping he gets off.

Titan4Life
30-03-16, 06:57 PM
And he's found not guilty. Free to play Broncos.

Thank god!

Manzo
30-03-16, 07:26 PM
http://www.nrl.com/james-free-to-face-broncos/tabid/10874/newsid/94358/default.aspx

DavidBouveng
30-03-16, 07:28 PM
http://www.nrl.com/james-free-to-face-broncos/tabid/10874/newsid/94358/default.aspx

great news!

wish i could give you more than one thumbs up

Tamwelg
30-03-16, 07:59 PM
great news!

wish i could give you more than one thumbs up

Great news indeed. He's been on fire this year.

TITAN PETE
30-03-16, 08:06 PM
I beleive James has been our best player & I was more concerned about losing him rather than any other player in the squad :thumbsup:

#bringonthedonkeys

Manzo
30-03-16, 08:14 PM
we need to find out if tyrone is ok now

DavidBouveng
30-03-16, 08:41 PM
I beleive James has been our best player & I was more concerned about losing him rather than any other player in the squad :thumbsup:

#bringonthedonkeys

its not even close. James, large gap, then Bird and Taylor, then a bunch of players right behind them

Mexican titan
30-03-16, 08:53 PM
Great news about James.
Just checking the Ticketek site and I reckon it's disappointing that the south end is still blocked out and not being sold. Surely a marquee game like this should have the full stadium open whether its needed or not. To have an entire end empty looks bad on tv at any time let alone a game like this.
I understand why the Titans are forced to do this but I get really resentful that Stadiums Qld are such deadsh1ts when it comes to stadium deals and it was our taxes that paid for the bloody place.

teke
30-03-16, 09:40 PM
Broncos have the ability to blow the Titans out of the water, Titans will be competitive in patches

Titanic
30-03-16, 09:45 PM
I must admit that I thought that the Raiders would give us a drubbing but I am certain that the Ponies will ... yet I have still tipped the lads to cause an upset :)

teke
30-03-16, 09:52 PM
I must admit that I thought that the Raiders would give us a drubbing but I am certain that the Ponies will ... yet I have still tipped the lads to cause an upset :)i hate the donkeys with a passion, hope the boys strangle em

Mexican titan
30-03-16, 09:57 PM
I must admit that I thought that the Raiders would give us a drubbing but I am certain that the Ponies will ... yet I have still tipped the lads to cause an upset :)

What worries me is that the Raiders should have given us a drubbing and would have until they went to sleep, starting with Shillos try. We played lousy that game and while it was great to stay close enough to get the win, I think it papered over a whole lot of errors we made. Hopefully the Broncs will suffer a let down after beating the Cows which they obviously built themselves up for.
I'm hopeful that the Raiders game was the poor one and that we will give a good account of ourselves. Listening to the journos on all the sports shows, it seems like we are developing a fair bit of credibility and I just hope it is not undone in one game.

Toads
30-03-16, 10:57 PM
Broncos have the ability to blow the Titans out of the water, Titans will be competitive in patches

This sums it up for me. Just hope the patches are many, and with long durations. If Friendy is back this week he just might be enough to get us over the line.

Nothing is sweeter than toweling the Donkeys at home. :thumbsup:

Just-a-Fan
30-03-16, 10:58 PM
Just read this from roar http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/03/30/titans-lead-comp-wheres-love-media/
was the first time in a long time to read good report on the Titans
Good that James is back I do hope he still starts off the bench seem to suit him and give us drive and direction
Just hope Roberts can play but Cullen wont let us down

Bayside Titan
31-03-16, 12:34 AM
My blood will boil if he is playing Friday night.708

teke
31-03-16, 01:22 AM
My blood will boil if he is playing Friday night.708He's coming back mate, embrace it

shamus
31-03-16, 08:47 AM
Great news about James.
Just checking the Ticketek site and I reckon it's disappointing that the south end is still blocked out and not being sold. Surely a marquee game like this should have the full stadium open whether its needed or not. To have an entire end empty looks bad on tv at any time let alone a game like this.
I understand why the Titans are forced to do this but I get really resentful that Stadiums Qld are such deadsh1ts when it comes to stadium deals and it was our taxes that paid for the bloody place.

I read somewhere that the Southern end is open as the Broncos away supporters sit there. I could have been dreaming that but I don't think so.

I just went onto the Ticketek site and clicked away supporters bay. Only single seats are available in section 17. So you maybe right, Section 17 is the Southern end but it is in the corner.

I also went to www.viagogo.com/au/Sports-Tickets/Rugby-League/National-Rugby-League-Premiership/Brisbane-Broncos-Tickets and although I suspect they are only allocated a certain amount of seats they are nearly sold out. 4 tickets left...........1 Steel and 3 Gold. So someone needs to think long and hard and ensure all seating is available coz I reckin' it will be our biggest crowd in a while.

Bayside Titan
31-03-16, 09:16 AM
He's coming back mate, embrace it

Hope you are wrong mate. Although in the article it hinted that Zilly could come back through QCup. Which I think is fair. Not pick him for such an important game.

5 Year Contract
31-03-16, 10:35 AM
My blood will boil if he is playing Friday night.708

The sports media. Who analyse ever single detail of every single club, coach player. How in the absolute **** does Zilolol get positive articles about being some kind of inspirational leader, player, must be included in our club? Most disheartening thing I read was an interview with Henry saying Zillman EARNED the right to be included straight away. If by earned you mean a bull**** contract then yes he is earning....he is earning money that could be faaaaar better utilized re-signing our youth and attracting better players. Day= ****ing ruined

- - - Updated - - -

Also Roberts conifmed as out for this week. I dont mind that. Give Cullen a crack and not rush TR back its still a looooong season

Titan4Life
31-03-16, 11:34 AM
Roberts confirmed out and Zillman is training with the NRL squad this morning. Ffs Henry you better not do what we think you are. If Zillman walks straight back into a jersey that'll do me.

How guys like Mead and Olive can give 110% and play well only for Zillman to just take their place is ridiculous. Oh well nothing we can do.

JunctionBlock
31-03-16, 11:36 AM
Who bet 50000 vcash on the Titans?

I think Roberts not playing was always on the cards. Like everyone, hope it's Cullen and not Mortimer.

Barrels
31-03-16, 11:38 AM
It would be a travesty but what will do if he comes back and plays well.

Titan4Life
31-03-16, 11:48 AM

Been waiting years for him to play good, so if it happens of course we won't criticise. However he needs to do it consistently. 9 games out of 10 he'll have a shocker with a rare game when he'll actually go well. I want him to return to his best and I think we all do, but we haven't seen that since 2011.

Him being co captain though, I can't see him returning through QCUP. That appointment of captaincy just strengthened his immortal status in team selection.

- - - Updated - - -

Rookie Titans halves set to face Broncos
Thursday, 31 Mar 2016 11:29am
Source: AAP

Brisbane discard Cameron Cullen looks poised to make his NRL debut against the Broncos for Gold Coast on Friday.

Cullen is set to feature in an inexperienced halves pairing alongside another ex-Bronco, Ashley Taylor, after the Titans confirmed Tyrone Roberts would miss the Queensland derby with bone bruising on his knee.

It's a dramatic career turnaround for the 22-year-old, who was cut by the Broncos in 2014.

After failing to land a deal with North Queensland, Cullen decided to pursue one last avenue at an NRL career at the Titans following the death of his brother Justin last year.

If selected Cullen and Taylor - who has just four NRL appearances to his name - will line up against Brisbane match-winners Ben Hunt and Anthony Milford.

The only other option for Titans coach Neil Henry is take Greg Bird out of the back-row and into five-eighth.

Henry says Cullen's performance against a near full-strength South Sydney in a pre-season trial had convinced him the youngster could handle a debut in such a big game.

"He's done enough full-time training to have that not worry him," Henry said.

"We'll just need to look at more what our pack looks like if we were to shift Birdie anyway. I know Eddy Pettybourne's back in there but Birdie's role around that lock, running both sides of the field, is pretty handy for us."

The Titans have confirmed captain Nathan Friend, who sat out last week's win over Canberra after suffering two head knocks in the opening three matches of the year, will return against the Broncos.

Henry did say however it is unlikely Will Zillman will feature despite being all but completely recovered from a calf injury.

5 Year Contract
31-03-16, 12:05 PM

Nothing and I mean absolutely nothing would make me more happier than if this was true. If he finally showed just something enough to justify his spot in first grade let alone captain. 4 years of promise so far and nada.

DIEHARD
31-03-16, 12:34 PM
Ill get off work for this early, head down. I live for the derbies.

Glad Friendy is back.

DIEHARD
31-03-16, 12:36 PM

I notice he doesnt mention Super League. I wonder why. Should be reason #1.

DIEHARD
31-03-16, 12:37 PM
Here is another one, they murdered the South Queensland Crushers and Gold Coast Chargers in cold blood.

SEQLD Exclusivity contract...

Brock O'Brien
31-03-16, 01:49 PM
It's really relieving that Mortimer's not even being mentioned as an option in the halves any more.

Mr Bods
31-03-16, 03:18 PM
I just read Bennett's Self entitled nasty jibe at Coach Henry.
I'll be going to tomorrow's game filled with pure hatred at Ingrate Roberts and the Arrogant spoilt rotten Brisbane Non-Rugby League fans. What a low life Ingrate Roberts is after our club rehabilitated his miserable pathetic existence.
It could be on in the stands tomorrow.
I hope our men know how important this fixture is to us.
Go our community and go Titans.

teke
31-03-16, 03:28 PM
Who has that Hodges is a grub banner, Cross out the name and stick Roberts on it :D

TitanSam
31-03-16, 03:29 PM
I just read Bennett's Self entitled nasty jibe at Coach Henry.
I'll be going to tomorrow's game filled with pure hatred at Ingrate Roberts and the Arrogant spoilt rotten Brisbane Non-Rugby League fans. What a low life Ingrate Roberts is after our club rehabilitated his miserable pathetic existence.
It could be on in the stands tomorrow.
I hope our men know how important this fixture is to us.
Go our community and go Titans. Agreed about the rehabilitation part. If it wasn't for us he'd still be living in his car in Western Sydney or possibly in prison.. Regardless wether his contact was forged he should always be grateful for what this club did for his career. Made me absolutely sick when he said he learned more in two weeks than in two years with the Titans.. Wether he did or not doesn't matter at least show some respect for the club that saved you.

Manzo
31-03-16, 03:34 PM
bugger this is the game where we need tyrones long kicking game, what are cullens strengths / weaknesses ?

Titanic
31-03-16, 03:53 PM
There was a nuffie called Jet,
Who thought he was the very best yet,
Even Greg Bird,
Hated the turd,
And the whole pack vowed to collect Jet's debt.

DIEHARD
31-03-16, 04:21 PM
Nice to see that many in sports journalism are about as clueless as many in political journalism.

That is why I am so supportive of young aspiring sports journos who love and understand the game.

DIEHARD
31-03-16, 04:36 PM
Titans prepare to throw rookies into deep end

The Titans are weighing up whether they can trust the most inexperienced halves pairing in the club's history to engineer a win against competition favourites Brisbane at Cbus Super Stadium on Friday night.

Coach Neil Henry confirmed on Thursday morning that five-eighth Tyrone Roberts would miss the game due to bone bruising in his knee and is now toying with the idea of handing Cameron Cullen his NRL debut against the club where he played under-20s.

A Gold Coast junior, Cullen was only brought into the Titans' full-time squad in the wake of the season-ending knee injury to Kane Elgey in January but impressed in a trial game against Souths and has since performed strongly for Burleigh in the Intrust Super Cup.

The 22-year-old would partner 21-year-old Ashley Taylor in the halves with a combined five games of NRL experience between them but Henry believes he showed enough in the trial game against South Sydney to indicate he could handle the occasion.

The last time the Titans fielded a halves combination with less than 10 games of first grade experience was in Round 9, 2012 when Aidan Sezer and Jordan Rankin paired up against the Wests Tigers, but Henry has confidence in Cullen's composure.

"I thought that in the trial against Souths, they were nearly full strength and he handled that. He went through for a try and set up another try so he's done enough full-time training for that not to worry him," Henry said.

"He's been around in a few systems and he's still only young. He did a pre-season with the Broncos and then up there with the Cowboys but is a local boy from Cabarita. It is a good story for a bit of perseverance but he's only a young player and he's developing his game as well.

"He's been solid in Queensland Cup, Burleigh are travelling along OK. He was good against the Mackay Cutters and in his last game at the top level was that Souths trial and he was very handy there as well.

"Whether or not we think this game will be his debut game or not we'll make that decision later."

If the Titans decide not to risk Cullen against the Broncos it is likely that Greg Bird will shift to five-eighth and Eddy Pettybourne would come back into a reshuffled forward pack.

The final make-up of the Titans' 17 is unlikely to be known until an hour before the 7.05pm kick-off in Queensland with Ryan James to take his place in the team following his successful trip to the judiciary on Wednesday night, Nathan Friend to return at hooker and William Zillman a slim chance to play his first game of the season.

Rather than being concerned by the unsettled nature of their preparation, captain Nathan Friend says it is a good opportunity to display the depth they have in key positions.

"That's what you do off-seasons for, you always slot players in and out and you do that during the week," said Friend, who returns from a week off due to repeated head knocks.

"We always have rotations whether it's two or three in certain positions and that kind of depth is what breeds success and we've still got that at present.

"Obviously we've lost Kane Elgey but apart from that most positions can be filled quite easily.

"It's a really good opportunity for ourselves to see where we're at. We are only early on in the piece so it's a great yardstick for us.

"Last weekend's game between [Brisbane] and North Queensland was a high quality game and we know that if we want to be competitive we need to match it this weekend with the Broncs."

http://www.nrl.com/

DIEHARD
31-03-16, 04:37 PM
Wayne Bennett slams Gold Coast Titans over James Roberts saga ahead of local derby
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/

BRONCOS coach Wayne Bennett has launched a savage attack on the Titans’ administration as a war of words broke out over James Roberts ahead of tomorrow night’s derby clash on the Gold Coast.

The Broncos enjoyed a triple treat on Thursday with injured trio Jordan Kahu (shoulder), Jack Reed (eye) and Corey Oates (shoulder) all cleared to start against the Titans at Cbus Super Stadium.

But the joy at their return was overshadowed by Bennett’s backhander at the Titans over the treatment of Roberts, who sensationally quit the club over summer following the contract-forgery farce.

James Roberts at Broncos training on Thursday ahead of the clash with his former club.
Titans coach Neil Henry fired a barb at Roberts on Wednesday, questioning if he was really in peak form, but Bennett returned serve today to set up a spicy Queensland grudge match.

Bennett suggested Henry was riddled with jealousy for Brisbane snaring Roberts and he then unloaded on Gold Coast hierarchy for the forged signature that led to the resignation of football manager Scott Clark.

“At the end of the day, it was the Titans’ administration, it wasn’t James’ fault what happened,” Bennett fired.

“It hurts a bit, you bring a guy through and you do a lot of things with them and you know how hard you work with them to get them where they are. You have difficult moments with them so I can probably understand Neil’s position a little bit.

“(But) no-one should look at James.

“If you had the situation he had, we would all walk away from our contract.

“He didn’t walk away but you take the opportunity because it was pretty deceitful what happened and he was affected by that.

“I can understand Neil’s position with that, envy and jealousy comes into it because you are envious James isn’t there anymore and you are jealous of what he can bring and you want it in your team.”

Roberts trained strongly this morning and is primed to unleash his best against his former club after his breakthrough performance for the Broncos against the Cowboys last week.

“I’m pleased to see James was excited at training,” Bennett said. “We play a team game here, we don’t play an individual game. If James does his job, we’ll be happy with him.”

Oates and Reed looked fully fit on Brisbane’s left flank, while Kahu wore a Brent Tate-style neck brace to prove his fitness on the right wing for the Titans clash.

Bennett later revealed Kahu was so happy with his session he would not required the neck brace tomorrow night.

“He won’t be wearing it in the game. He finished the training session without it so he won’t be needing it in the game,” Bennett said.

Bennett has slammed the Titans handling of the James Roberts saga.
“We don’t play players here injured it’s as simple as that. Everybody that goes out there is fit to play and has been tested, done everything they are supposed to do. Injured players don’t play with confidence and have the belief they should have. If you are in playoffs and grand finals, sometimes you take a different approach but not with 24 weeks to go in the season. All the guys are fit and are ready to go.”

Bennett is wary of a Titans side that has surged into the top four after three wins in the opening month headlined by last week’s gutsy 24-20 defeat of the Raiders in Canberra.

James Roberts in action for the Gold Coast Titans in 2015.
“You don’t win three games out of four and not do some things well,” he said. “They have the highest ball control in the competition, they are ranked No. 1 so they are controlling the ball pretty well and giving themselves a chance to win games.

“They are playing with a fair bit of spirit. We expect a pretty similar game to the Cowboys last week.”

kioli
31-03-16, 06:17 PM
Seems like a lot of Donkey fans will be heading down for the derby, can't wait for it!

Mexican titan
31-03-16, 10:19 PM
Seems like a lot of Donkey fans will be heading down for the derby, can't wait for it!

Seems like a few might be heading down. There are a few hundred seats to sell at the northern end and I assume the south end will then be put on sale. All other areas are down to single seats. I haven't seen bays 1-7 go on sale at any stage and I didn't think members had taken up all of the available seats in those areas but I gather they must be sold as the rest of the western side is down to singles and nothing else has been put on sale.

gotitans101_
31-03-16, 10:56 PM
What exactly did Bennett say about Henry? All I saw was the stuff about Roberts.

Titanic
31-03-16, 11:04 PM
What exactly did Bennett say about Henry? All I saw was the stuff about Roberts.Called him envious and jealous? What a prima donna.

Nols of the Goldy
31-03-16, 11:42 PM
Wayne Bennett slams Gold Coast Titans over James Roberts saga ahead of local derby

BRONCOS coach Wayne Bennett has launched a savage attack on the Titans’ administration as a war of words broke out over James Roberts ahead of tomorrow night’s derby clash on the Gold Coast.

The Broncos enjoyed a triple treat on Thursday with injured trio Jordan Kahu (shoulder), Jack Reed (eye) and Corey Oates (shoulder) all cleared to start against the Titans at Cbus Super Stadium.

But the joy at their return was overshadowed by Bennett’s backhander at the Titans over the treatment of Roberts, who sensationally quit the club over summer following the contract-forgery farce.

Titans coach Neil Henry fired a barb at Roberts on Wednesday, questioning if he was really in peak form, but Bennett returned serve today to set up a spicy Queensland grudge match.

Bennett suggested Henry was riddled with jealousy for Brisbane snaring Roberts and he then unloaded on Gold Coast hierarchy for the forged signature that led to the resignation of football manager Scott Clark.

“At the end of the day, it was the Titans’ administration, it wasn’t James’ fault what happened,” Bennett fired.

“It hurts a bit, you bring a guy through and you do a lot of things with them and you know how hard you work with them to get them where they are. You have difficult moments with them so I can probably understand Neil’s position a little bit.

“(But) no-one should look at James.

“He didn’t walk away but you take the opportunity because it was pretty deceitful what happened and he was affected by that.

“I can understand Neil’s position with that, envy and jealousy comes into it because you are envious James isn’t there anymore and you are jealous of what he can bring and you want it in your team.”

Roberts trained strongly this morning and is primed to unleash his best against his former club after his breakthrough performance for the Broncos against the Cowboys last week.

“I’m pleased to see James was excited at training,” Bennett said. “We play a team game here, we don’t play an individual game. If James does his job, we’ll be happy with him.”

Oates and Reed looked fully fit on Brisbane’s left flank, while Kahu wore a Brent Tate-style neck brace to prove his fitness on the right wing for the Titans clash.

Bennett later revealed Kahu was so happy with his session he would not required the neck brace tomorrow night.

“He won’t be wearing it in the game. He finished the training session without it so he won’t be needing it in the game,” Bennett said.

“We don’t play players here injured it’s as simple as that. Everybody that goes out there is fit to play and has been tested, done everything they are supposed to do. Injured players don’t play with confidence and have the belief they should have. If you are in playoffs and grand finals, sometimes you take a different approach but not with 24 weeks to go in the season. All the guys are fit and are ready to go.”

Bennett is wary of a Titans side that has surged into the top four after three wins in the opening month headlined by last week’s gutsy 24-20 defeat of the Raiders in Canberra.

“You don’t win three games out of four and not do some things well,” he said. “They have the highest ball control in the competition, they are ranked No. 1 so they are controlling the ball pretty well and giving themselves a chance to win games.

“They are playing with a fair bit of spirit. We expect a pretty similar game to the Cowboys last week.”

What a wanker Bennett is.

gotitans101_
31-03-16, 11:45 PM
yeah I just read the entire thing, wow, Benny just keeps on giving doesn't he.

Nols of the Goldy
31-03-16, 11:48 PM
This also just in. God I hope they smash the little pr..k tomorrow night. He was always going to leave, just trying to deflect from what a traitor he is.

The $15,000 reason James Roberts left Titans and joined Broncos

JAMES Roberts did not leave the Gold Coast because his signature had been forged. He left because the Titans would not help to pay for their mistake.

As Wayne Bennett unloaded on the Titans’ bungle this week, The Courier-Mail can reveal the $15,000 reason James Roberts really left the Titans.

It was reported that Roberts left solely because of the illegal contract. But Roberts thought he owed the Titans for resurrecting his career two years earlier, so he told them he would stay.

But it is understood the Titans would not agree to a fee, believed to be around $15,000, to cover the legal costs required for Roberts’ management to sort out the contract bungle.

Had the Titans paid those costs, Roberts would be playing in a blue strip at Cbus Super Stadium on Friday night.

Titans coach Neil Henry this week questioned whether Roberts was really in peak form and Bennett returned serve by suggesting Henry was jealous of Brisbane snaring Roberts, unloading on the contract bungle that led to football manager Scott Clark resigning.

“At the end of the day, it was the Titans’ administration, it wasn’t James’ fault what happened,” Bennett said.

“He didn’t walk away but you take the opportunity because it was pretty deceitful what happened.

“I can understand Neil’s position with that, envy and jealousy comes into it because you are envious James isn’t there.’’

Roberts still has great friends at the Titans and holds no grudges over the affair.

His manager Jeremy Donovan confirmed the legal fees were the major reason Roberts left the Titans.

Titans chief Graham Annesley declined to comment on Roberts’ contract, or Bennett’s harsh words, but said he still had a good relationship with the centre.

“I’ve always had a good relationship with James and still do. We both shook hands at the end of it all and moved on,” Annesley said.

Donovan praised how Annesley handled the situation but said the club just refused to budge on picking up the tab for sorting the mess out.

“It was confusing at the time because we didn’t forge the signature, but we had to sort it out,” Donovan told The Courier-Mail.

“It was a serious legal matter. James wanted to stay even after the signature issue. He was very settled and he is still living on the Gold Coast.

“James just wants to move on because he has no hard feelings for the club and still has great friendships there.

“Graham Annesley was great and I have immense respect for him and the Titans are playing great footy now.

“The Titans really helped James when he needed it and he’ll never forget that but he repaid them on the field.

“You can’t keep telling someone they are broken, though.”

Brock O'Brien
01-04-16, 12:12 AM
What is that last line referring to?

teke
01-04-16, 01:49 AM
What is that last line referring to?That is a strange line to end a article with

Titanic
01-04-16, 02:00 AM
I assume it refers to either Henry's comments that Roberts is playing injured or his previous comments about Roberts still being a work in progress ... whatever it may be, I find it hard to comprehend that the club didn't have 15k to seal the deal. If that is the case then it seems like taking "not paying overs" a little too far considering it was the club's bungle.

Edited

"broken" refers to the article on the back page of Friday's Bulletin ... lol

Just-a-Fan
01-04-16, 02:45 AM
We all know Roberts can play and burn any side but he has got weakness as well he run out of energy quick if u can make he work hard he goes quiet or does some silly things and gives away penalties
Hoffman just cant give him room cuz he will burn Hoffman
I think all this is a game plan to try to put our boys off the game
I think Hunt is the 1 to watch this week as he has been quiet and will use Roberts as a dummy play
just keep the line and make them earn it
Roberts wanted to leave that is it bottom line cuz 50000 more a season for the bungle seems to be a lot more the 15000 for legals
good luck to him and may he find what he want at the Broncos but hope the jet just stays grounded at CBUS

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 09:07 AM
Just another click bait story purely because of the local derby tonight. If $15K would have sealed it then why would he take a $100K pay cut to leave. Pure fiction as usual. I hope his knees bend the wrong way tonight and it's the last we hear about the moron. I've rarely seen someone so disrespectful and stupid.

TITAN PETE
01-04-16, 02:29 PM
I'm very happy to know neither Cullen nor Zillman will be playing tonight & im hoping for Bird to be a few "Legal" late shots on Milford :thumbsup:

GCTTSD
01-04-16, 04:05 PM
I wanted to see cullen play but i think bird will go good tonight in the halves and i think ash will go to another level without roberts

DIEHARD
01-04-16, 04:17 PM
Looks like I might have to watch from the office with a pizza. Still mulling it over.

Just remember that in this day in 1995, News Ltd and the Broncos launched their civil war.

Manzo
01-04-16, 04:33 PM
best choice would be play cullen, leave birdy at lock and let him play a bit like a half

Barrels
01-04-16, 04:52 PM
when did they say cullen wouldnt be playing?

Titanic
01-04-16, 05:50 PM
I have 2 repeat 2 tickets spare for the game ... sms me on 0011-86-13813381070 if you want ... Section 21 Row 8

TITAN PETE
01-04-16, 06:28 PM
when did they say cullen wouldnt be playing?

When I mentioned it :D

IpswichTitans
01-04-16, 06:37 PM
Aquis Titans coach Neil Henry has made an interesting tactical switch for tonight’s clash with Brisbane Broncos by moving lock Greg Bird to five-eighth.

There has been much speculation about whether 22-year-old Cameron Cullen would make his debut in the big local derby which will attract a crowd of over 20,000 but Henry has made the decision to move Bird to the position where he has won two man of the match awards for NSW.

Agnatius Paasi will come into the starting line in the back row and Eddy Pettybourne will come onto the bench.

The team is: Mead, Don, Hoffman, Olive, Macdonald, Bird, Taylor, Shillington, Friend (capt), James, McQueen, Taia, Paasi. Interchange: Douglas, Pulu, Mortimer, Pettybourne.

- http://www.titans.com.au/news/2016/04/01/bird_to_fill_five_ei.html

Manzo
01-04-16, 06:46 PM
oh well see how he goes,

Barrels
01-04-16, 06:51 PM
not sure it is that good a choice

Manzo
01-04-16, 06:55 PM
mortimer could b a decent asset today, we need the extra kicker as birdy isnt real flash with kicking

GCTTSD
01-04-16, 07:13 PM
I think ash can handle the extra kicking, bird will be fired up and hopefully smashing milford and roberts

IpswichTitans
01-04-16, 07:29 PM
What's the crowd looking like?

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 08:01 PM
At least Roberts won't have far to go to hospital.

teke
01-04-16, 08:03 PM
Shilo out, did quad in warmup

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 08:12 PM
From bad to worse. Shillo injured in warm up and Burr steps in. Great.

- - - Updated - - -

That couldn't be a worse start. Roberts a dead set twat. Hope he leaves in a coffin.

Manzo
01-04-16, 08:14 PM
wth birdy!

gotitans101_
01-04-16, 08:15 PM
Nene and Olive are a big sorry defensively on that edge.

Manzo
01-04-16, 08:15 PM
try save dave mead!
aND olive v roberts not hoffy

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 08:17 PM
Good kick from Ash Taylor. Shame our players covered their heads rather than playing for the ball.

Supergoose
01-04-16, 08:18 PM
I thought Roberts would massacre Hoffman tonight, obviously Henry thought so too so has switched sides with Olive.

Manzo
01-04-16, 08:21 PM
roberts playin well, birdy trying hard

- - - Updated - - -

roberts knock on, keep booing:)

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 08:23 PM
Stand him up in the tackle and have Birdy smash him under the ribs. Unfortunately if he doesn't fall over when he has the ball we can't tackle him.

Manzo
01-04-16, 08:27 PM
birdy do not kick!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

mead is givin it his all

gotitans101_
01-04-16, 08:33 PM
Nene & Olive getting schooled. They're shirt grabbers.

titanfan1980
01-04-16, 08:34 PM
After the first try we were tackling our asses off and I was seeing that we were hanging in.. Then olive easy drop and really poor miss

Supergoose
01-04-16, 08:34 PM
Broncos undeterred by the position switch, still targeting the left edge.

Barrels
01-04-16, 08:35 PM
another soft try we were doing well too

- - - Updated - - -

Taylors kicking is brilliant. very good future there

- - - Updated - - -

good shot by pulu

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 08:36 PM
What a shock, Badger is giving us the rough end of the stick for penalty calls.

Our left edge is non-existent. If Hoffy isn't good enough to mark Roberts then he isn't good enough for 1st grade.

Very frustrating watching our 'big brother' treat us with such disrespect as none is due.

Manzo
01-04-16, 08:43 PM
james r is very sore

- - - Updated - - -

meady try..........

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 08:46 PM
Just typing that every man and his dog can see Roberts injured, why the hell aren't we sending everything his way...... and finally, Meady gets one.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL how good was that reverse angle showing Roberts trying to get back to defend. Send it all at him. Make him look like the bludger he is. Torture him, plus it makes Bennett look like a goose after saying he doesn't play players that aren't 100%.

teke
01-04-16, 08:51 PM
Dam man that was an impressive first half by the Titans.

The forwards working extremely impressively

Barrels
01-04-16, 08:52 PM
we are not getting the rub of the green from the refs

Manzo
01-04-16, 08:53 PM
hopefully robert is finished for the night, will make olives task easier-- he still could run but dam he was sore after woods....

now 2nd half- birdy cant kick
let ash run
pulu playing well

teke
01-04-16, 08:55 PM
Another effort like that first half and I will be satisfied.

We'd be giving any team fits tonight, not saying winning but keeping them verrrry honest

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 08:59 PM
If Roberts goes and the Broncos stop sending everything down our left edge we can breath a sigh of relief. Hoping to see more from Paasi this half.

Manzo
01-04-16, 09:02 PM
robert has just put the broncos jersey back on- (in the sheds)

Barrels
01-04-16, 09:04 PM
looks like roberts is coming back on

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 09:08 PM
Then I hope we keep running at him.

Barrels
01-04-16, 09:11 PM
geez. that was poor defence there

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 09:19 PM
Thank God for the man with two first names or this would be a different story altogether.

gotitans101_
01-04-16, 09:21 PM
Time to address that left edge defence I think, 3 easy tries down that side.

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 09:21 PM
Two penalties in a row, this is going to hurt. We can thank our lucky stars Milford is playing like Mortimer tonight.

Manzo
01-04-16, 09:22 PM
refs are killing us

Barrels
01-04-16, 09:22 PM
were going to open up now. brisbane getting the 50/50 calls here

jacksonm
01-04-16, 09:25 PM
Understand its abig game but picking Bird at 5/8 is so defensive and never works, should have gone with Cullen as points are needed vs donkeys

gotitans101_
01-04-16, 09:25 PM
Olive & MacDonald have to go. This is disgraceful

Manzo
01-04-16, 09:26 PM
for who? zilly...........?

JunctionBlock
Is that the impact replacement hookers are supposed to have?

Barrels
ugh. another poor defensive read

jacksonm
01-04-16, 09:27 PM
Disappointing effort from centres and wingers, work to do on out first up defence

titanfan1980
01-04-16, 09:27 PM
Iggy literally just got put back on for Ryan James who mind you is not missing any tackles and is busting his a** out there and he falls off why don't we all get off the passi Train cause he just got caught ball watching after being on the field for 2 minutes

gotitans101_
01-04-16, 09:28 PM
for who? zilly...........?

at least Zillman can tackle

Barrels
01-04-16, 09:30 PM
but how do we fix this poor defence?

- - - Updated - - -

oh no taylors down

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 09:31 PM
If Ash has hurt his shoulder, get him off. This game is done. Put mortimer in the halfs with hoffman for all I care. Preserve what little hope we have by keeping Ash safe.

Barrels
01-04-16, 09:34 PM
well. taias over. 16 minutes left. 12 points in it.

Manzo
01-04-16, 09:35 PM
not done yet- hopefully

Barrels
01-04-16, 09:37 PM
oh damn son. It is on!!!!!!!!!!!

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 09:37 PM
Iggy literally just got put back on for Ryan James who mind you is not missing any tackles and is busting his a** out there and he falls off why don't we all get off the passi Train cause he just got caught ball watching after being on the field for 2 minutes

If there's a Paasi train then I'd love to be the conductor. All aboard the Paasi train, I love Paasi, if Paasi was a food I'd eat it all day. Even my wife loves the Paasi (but that while she was going through an experimental stage at Uni). If you don't love Paasi then dare I say you may be batting for the other team. People always say that they want to smash the Paasi but he takes a licking and keeps on giving.

Great second try for Zeb after a great offload from the Paasi master.

Barrels
01-04-16, 09:39 PM
this is exciting. very nerve racking

Manzo
01-04-16, 09:40 PM
mead dam fit

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 09:41 PM
Does our left edge not know that when we chip over on our 5th it's their job to attack and try and retain the ball? Seems to be some confusion.

Manzo
01-04-16, 09:41 PM
broncs look shot

Barrels
01-04-16, 09:42 PM
roberts edge. attack it

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 09:42 PM
And Mortimer destroys our resurgence. Everybody thank Daniel.

Barrels
01-04-16, 09:43 PM
you are kidding me. argh

- - - Updated - - -

thats a knock on but milfords wasnt?

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 09:44 PM
If Gillett goes off, that right edge for the Broncos is ours for the taking. He's the only person defending.

Barrels
01-04-16, 09:45 PM
Paaaasiiii

- - - Updated - - -

danmit.now we are shot

mdrew
01-04-16, 09:45 PM
well done refs News Corp wins again

John Smith Sith
01-04-16, 09:46 PM
We really suck, we can't even get a captain that can play 40+ minutes FFS

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 09:47 PM
How are they saying that the Gillette shot was penalty worthy, it was over the shoulder.

Short kick off and lets hit back.

correction, short kick off by anyone but Bird. Have we forgotten our Nines kick offs? grubber the bloddy thing along the ground. FFS!

Barrels
01-04-16, 09:48 PM
I dont usually blame the refs but tonight has been a bit shotty

psmitty
01-04-16, 09:49 PM
Bird and Mortimer should never kick again.

Barrels
01-04-16, 09:51 PM
should have played cullen

teke
01-04-16, 09:53 PM
There is some promise about how we are playing.

I enjoyed the contest

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 09:53 PM
At least we won't give up this year. Made it look respectable. Shame we were missing Tyrone cause it would have been an interesting game after watching where we ended up.

mdrew
01-04-16, 09:54 PM
Wow next year with Elgey and Taylor should be special

gotitans101_
01-04-16, 09:55 PM
What do we do about Olive & Macdonald? Those first two tries were a direct result of them shirt grabbing.

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 09:56 PM
What do we do about Olive & Macdonald? Those first two tries were a direct result of them shirt grabbing.

Should have moved McQueen over there. At least he does his job.

TitanSam
01-04-16, 09:58 PM
What do we do about Olive & Macdonald? Those first two tries were a direct result of them shirt grabbing. to be fair Olive is only 19 haha, he's still eligible for 20's and after his previous performances I'm very happy for him to retain his spot after an average performance from him tonight he's been great the previous weeks

mdrew
01-04-16, 10:00 PM
Brian Kelly

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 10:00 PM
to be fair Olive is only 19 haha, he's still eligible for 20's and after his previous performances I'm very happy for him to retain his spot after an average performance from him tonight he's been great the previous weeks

100% don't agree. He's had his taste. If he has any confidence left let him find it again in the 20's then Q cup then we'll see where he's at.

gotitans101_
01-04-16, 10:01 PM
to be fair Olive is only 19 haha, he's still eligible for 20's and after his previous performances I'm very happy for him to retain his spot after an average performance from him tonight he's been great the previous weeks

yeah mate I know, he's only young, and it's not his fault the coach continues to put him out there against good attacking teams. I think Henry needs to switch something up though after tonight, it was plain to see that the D on those two wasn't up to first grade standard tonight. It wasn't just Olive, but Nene as well. We need some steel on our edges and we just don't have it with these youngsters.

Barrels
01-04-16, 10:02 PM
We would have won that with tyrone. But as mdrew said, Next year we are going to give the comp a serious crack with Taylor and Elgey.

We need to work on our defence. That Nikorima try was pretty weak and would have been the difference. Bird shouldn't kick off either, or kick in general.

We didn't play overly bad. A bit more class and experience would have got us home in the end there. I think we need to look into infusing some guys like GL into the outside backs too. Don and hoffy haven't really been doing it for me these last few weeks.

The Broncos are the best team in the comp without a doubt. But we need to start our games so much better too. Lack of control showed tonight and Roberts was a result of that.

I still think we can be a dark horse for the 8. Just the little things we need to work on. I think we have Sharkies coming up so hopefully shillo and roberts returns.

I personally think It might be time to at least see how Zillman is going. Maybe Q cup next week? I think Zillman was a bit more defensively sound but Roberts and Kahu are nothing to scoff at. We were very threatening when we were getting that quick play the ball but a few late errors cost us the game in the end. Hopefully Paasi doesnt face any sanction over that tackle.

JunctionBlock
01-04-16, 10:03 PM
LOL Daniel Mortimer got Fletchers Encouragement Award for tonights game.

Gets a free car wash voucher. If the Fox comedy commentary team can see it then why can't the person who is paid to be a coach not?

Worth noting that the penalty count was 6 to 3 in favour of the Broncos. I guess those third party agreements spread wide enough to include the refs.

Barrels
01-04-16, 10:07 PM
Daniel Mortimer is hopeless. I have said it before, Ill say it again. I'll even telegram to Neil Henry as he clearly hasn't discovered the internet, because if he had, he would already know that Mortimer is Hopeless.

decentrix
01-04-16, 10:07 PM
I don't post a lot, but it is sad to see so many people calling themselves Titans fans then throwing all the guys under a bus when they make some mistakes. This year was written off by so many people in the forum and outside, yet we have a few wins and all of a sudden you expect us to always perform?
We just took it to the team that is favourite to win the premiership, IF we were smashed by 30+ points then it would be a different story, but we came within 8 points. (Which should have only been 6 if it wasn't for some dodgy calls from the ref)

Give the team what they need, Support, not criticism.

We should all be proud, as Titans fans, that our boys are playing with heart and passion again.

gotitans101_
01-04-16, 10:08 PM
With all my negativity out of the way, I am happy with our overall performance against the Broncos tonight. Lots of courage to hang in there until the very end, and we never really looked like we were truly out of it. At least we put up a fight against them, unlike in previous years where we'd get smacked hard.

mdrew
01-04-16, 10:11 PM
Have to give Ash Taylor credit he was great also well done to the crowd brilliant stuff to every Titans supporter there.

patskE
01-04-16, 10:12 PM
all these new rules to speed up the play but yet they stop for play for a minute due to a guy out the back of play/off the field injured and let them get back in the line...

gotitans101_
01-04-16, 10:12 PM
Have to give Ash Taylor credit he was great also well done to the crowd brilliant stuff to every Titans supporter there.

Agreed, our supporters were LOUD on TV tonight, well done guys.

Barrels
01-04-16, 10:13 PM
all these new rules to speed up the play but yet they stop for play for a minute due to a guy out the back of play/off the field injured and let them get back in the line...

yeah that was a pretty dodgy call. We had two players down but the refs allowed bronx to play on. not sure how i feel about it.

teke
01-04-16, 10:16 PM
Nene and Olive side had troubles because the Bronx were eating the Titans up from the inside and allowing the outside men alot of room.

I expected big things from Nene this yr but atm Im almost certain Olive would be better on the left wing with greater speed and urgency than him. Olives a first grader and needs ball carry time.

patskE
01-04-16, 10:19 PM
We lack that edge in attack, seems like most our trys are simple, Its prob due to our back line being young, but we need to develop some decent set plays and start breaking the line a bit more. Only way we get down the field is from a error or a penalty.
the outside backs need to look at how mead attacked the ball, noticed in that cross field chip, I think Olive stopped as he thought Kahu was getting there first but the bounce would of been in his favour, or off a bomb, we had 2 titans players coming through on 1 broncos player standing alone, but instead of contesting(Olive with a running start with Kahu jumping from a standing start) they threw their arms up in the arm to put him off.

*edit*

Man its roberts that we are missing so badly... that speed, those line breaks are what we are lacking atm...

Barrels
01-04-16, 10:20 PM
I think Nene is better in at centre. Olive should maybe play a bit of Q cup, but he is still young. really wanna see Davis return though. Burr didn't look too bad either. The way I look at it...

It's not every week you verse the Broncos

mdrew
01-04-16, 10:22 PM
But when the Broncos had a player down out the back of the in goal the refs stop play money talks

yeah that was a pretty dodgy call. We had two players down but the refs allowed bronx to play on. not sure how i feel about it.

Supergoose
01-04-16, 10:29 PM
I think the common denominator on the left edge is Zeb Taia. Hoffman was far worse on that side in the last few weeks than Olive. I would rather Nene in the centres. Give Bird the left edge backrow spot and play Taia in the middle. Paasi should start at lock. Taia and McQueen have been running nice lines in attack but that left edge had been looking shaky all season. I don't think you can lay the blame solely on the half and backs out there, the backrower is responsible for holding it together.

Ausphin
01-04-16, 10:46 PM
Nene and Olive side had troubles because the Bronx were eating the Titans up from the inside and allowing the outside men alot of room.

I expected big things from Nene this yr but atm Im almost certain Olive would be better on the left wing with greater speed and urgency than him. Olives a first grader and needs ball carry time.

Agree. Defence is all about communication, experience and execution. We have a 19 year old centre and 21 year old winger. To me Nene looks nothing like the glimpses we saw late last seaon. He is a big unit, but stops and dances at the line on hit-ups or kick returns.

I like what i see in Olive and would be more tempted, despite what others think, to stick Zillman in the centres and put Olive outside him on the wing. McDonald also needs to find some form back in qcup.

Also, Don is solid and tries his heart out, but would like to see what else we have as the season plays out.

TITAN PETE
01-04-16, 10:51 PM
Just got home from the match & haven't read the previous comments but when you remember we went in without a true no6 & our no1 meter eater front rower were out I'm not too disappointed to be only beaten by 8 points by a full strength Premiership Favorite & when you consider the fact that the Donkeys were offside all night & we never looked like getting a penalty ... Every week I have mentioned how big a motor big Zeb has & tonight he destroyed them along with our rising star in Ash Taylor,,, 2016 is not looking too shabby

DavidBouveng
01-04-16, 11:00 PM
i think first one was shirt grabbing - but the second two their inside guy was no where to be seen and got confused so they both had to come in otherwise hunt or boyd scores inside them untouched.

good guts again to stay in the contest and fight till the death, Morts chip kick was low % and gave them the ball on the broncs 40 metre line and killed the momentum we had. we were on a roll and were making huge metres. then to make a good job of it he also knocks on after milf and one of our forwards both knocked on without it being picked up in previous few plays.

shouldn't be too hard on him, his wobbly pass rolling on the ground to no one ended up being a try assist.

Ash long licking was great early, but once Bird kick out on the full and it was all on Ash, they smashed him and the time he got tackled on the fifth with the ball meant there was literally not one effective kicker who could get it away decently. bird ended up keeping it inside the sideline so i guess that a positive.

Mead made an early error that cost us bad ( Nene probably could have shown more urgency ) but after that he was immense. taking two hit ups in some sets, smashing both wingers when they were near certain to score. He was awesome.

Pulu was great when he was on, he is a genuine NRL player now i think. will add some punch every week when he comes on.

James was great again - good metres, almost a try assist, and i was one who was all over Paasi as our gun prop in the pre seaon, but James has outperformed him every week after round 1.

Paasi has let people through for tries last week and this week by being fatigued or just not sliding well and he is far from the guy in the 9s and the preseason. he was jamming some blokes at the end and set up a try. really love him, and hope he gets back on track.

Neil Henry has got most right this year, but Bird to 6 was an error. Brisbane play a real territory game and we needed two kickers badly. especially as we don't have super creative hooker or Fb.. we needed someone with a playmaking skill set, and Bird hasnt really been a 5/8 since the days he was kneeing blokes in the head. and Bird has been so good at 13, we hurt two spots... I hope Neil sorts this out as it is not a solution if Tyrone is out for many more weeks

overall, cant fault the spirit or effort, our forwards are a genuine pack who work hard together. We are still heading in the right direction and a credible performance against one of the title favourites doesnt hurt

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT on mead: he ran for 50% more hit ups that any one else on our team. and almost 50% more metres.

thats a huge gap on both fronts

teke
01-04-16, 11:03 PM
EDIT on mead: he ran for 50% more hit ups that any one else on our team. and almost 50% more metres.

thats a huge gap on both frontsHe was sitting in 6th position in the League for All run mtrs last week and with another 150 mtrs tonight he's getting this team in great position.

Loving the Kumul hits to save the tries

DavidBouveng
01-04-16, 11:04 PM
EDIT on James: he is NOTHING like the player we thought we had. he is much better than the firebrand rookie that we have seen last few years. He also was very close to tears immediately after the game, was doing some heavy breathing to try and control himself, but his lips and red eyes were giving him away. love his effort and commitment and desire for us. he is a proud titan junior who will be as important as Kane and Ash in getting us to the promised land.

45 tackles tonight, along with 100+ metres. one error.

Hail Sezer
01-04-16, 11:09 PM
I don't post a lot, but it is sad to see so many people calling themselves Titans fans then throwing all the guys under a bus when they make some mistakes. This year was written off by so many people in the forum and outside, yet we have a few wins and all of a sudden you expect us to always perform?
We just took it to the team that is favourite to win the premiership, IF we were smashed by 30+ points then it would be a different story, but we came within 8 points. (Which should have only been 6 if it wasn't for some dodgy calls from the ref)

We should all be proud, as Titans fans, that our boys are playing with heart and passion again.

I'm fine with criticism but there have been some ridiculous comments in this thread to summarise the game. Suggesting McQueen would have done a better job on Roberts than Olive could have? Hahaha yeah alright. Can only imagine the slaughter on that edge if that had happened.

Good game to spectate despite the result and Ash Taylor is going to be something special. Has been summarised well but I'd like to reiterate that Pulu is improving each and every week. He plays hard and can stick in the contact too, which is what we were missing with Burr who could hit but had trouble sticking. Pulu working over Parker in that tackle was superb!

Anyone else see how long the Broncos trainer was on the field for at particular patches? just walking behind the PTB and barking instructions? I swear it was a good 15 minute time frame.

RenegadeGC
01-04-16, 11:15 PM
Anyone else see how long the Broncos trainer was on the field for at particular patches? just walking behind the PTB and barking instructions? I swear it was a good 15 minute time frame.

Thats what a good trainer/assistant coach does. Until officials tell them to get off then they will loiter and act as another half.

On a side note... Im turning into a Ash Taylor believer. I like the kid. Very composed, steers the ship well and has a good kicking game. LG and Ash Tay Tay show should be good to watch over the next couple of years.

Hail Sezer
01-04-16, 11:17 PM
Thats what a good trainer/assistant coach does. Until officials tell them to get off then they will loiter and act as another half.

On a side note... Im turning into a Ash Taylor believer. I like the kid. Very composed, steers the ship well and has a good kicking game. LG and Ash Tay Tay show should be good to watch over the next couple of years.

A-tay* ;)

DavidBouveng
01-04-16, 11:25 PM
can we pay Scotty or Presto to be ours trainer then?

its an odd rule, the rules say they cant be on for defence as they will help team plug holes, but they can be on and direct the attack like a coach.

I remember one origin series - Kimmorley was 7, and Andrew Johns was basically doing his whole job for him except the actual passing kicking. it was like Johns was using VR and Kimmorley was his avatar.

there was a good article during the week about it, and to fine us for 14 men on with no effect, but have trainers giving full coaching and guidance is madness

Titan4Life
01-04-16, 11:32 PM
Agree with most of the comments on here, especially yours DB. Just about summarised it perfectly.

-Mead made that early error but after that, in his usual fashion, he tried his guts out and just got stuck in. Could have been a worse score had he not smashed Oates and Kahu on the line.

-Pulu is impressing me more every week. Getting through the work and adds a bit of energy to the team when he comes on. Also shut down a lot of Broncos offloads when he was on.

-Paasi let Roberts walk through the middle in the first half but dug deep in the last 20.

-James; what can I say? He is a completely different player this year. By far our best player imo this year, getting through plenty of work and is using his aggression for good this year. He is the future leader of our pack, if he isn't already. Build a pack around him.

-Don has gone really quiet, not terrible but haven't really noticed him the last few weeks. Still safe as houses under the high ball. Olive had a few defensive mistakes but I still think he has a massive future. He definitely tries hard.

-A Tay (yes HS haha) is an absolute gun already and will only get better. Every single one of his grubbers close to the line are deadly and his bombs stay in the air for an eternity. Great kid and I drool about the future of our club with an LG/A Tay combo.

Good effort but just beaten by a classier side. We will also be much better with Shillo and Tyrone back, missed both tonight and still only just lost. I'm very positive even with this loss.

Mexican titan
01-04-16, 11:37 PM

I certainly agree with your last line mate in that I am delighted how the team are playing with passion and heart.

In relation to the errors I do believe they must be highlighted and discussed as much as the good stuff because eliminating some of the stupid errors will mean we play finals footy. For example Meady's early error lead to a dropout and an immediate try - bingo 4-0 inside 5 minutes. After that I reckon Mead was one of our best but that early error badly hurt us and those sorts of things must be cut out, as we have been making them for years.

However I reckon the positives far outweighed the negatives tonight and I think we badly missed Roberts. Bird played well I reckon but not really a strong 5/8's game and his kicking was terrible. WE didn't get a lot of great field position tonight and it always seemed the Broncs were starting sets at least 30 metres out rather than much closer to their line.

It was also great to hear the louder support when the Titans ran on. Hopefully the effort convinced a few that we have a team worth watching and they'll return.

Titan4Life
01-04-16, 11:39 PM
Just a side note boys that I hate to break to you all but apparently Ash Taylor is gone for next week. Injured his shoulder.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/footy-form/gold-coast-titans-fairytale-run-hits-a-hurdle-in-derby-defeat-to-broncos/news-story/816e11ccbbe78921b11ae249c33fa54d

Hopefully he will end up being alright though. Tough kid.

Bayside Titan
01-04-16, 11:43 PM
Just got home from the match & haven't read the previous comments but when you remember we went in without a true no6 & our no1 meter eater front rower were out I'm not too disappointed to be only beaten by 8 points by a full strength Premiership Favorite & when you consider the fact that the Donkeys were offside all night & we never looked like getting a penalty ... Every week I have mentioned how big a motor big Zeb has & tonight he destroyed them along with our rising star in Ash Taylor,,, 2016 is not looking too shabby

Agree with yours and HS comments. One thing that became clear to me was that Henry going for Bird over Cullen was that he was hoping that defence was going to get him the win. Bird played well however I felt we missed his work in the middle. IMO Taylor is going really well and will create quite the quandary next year if all 3 halves are fit. On Taylor tonight I thought it was a tad much to try and get a win with him being the primary play maker. I would of liked to have seen Cullen used and then maybe Burr would not have been needed despite Shillos injury.

Mead is really making the fullback roll his own.
Pulu is slowing coming together.

It's been pointed out some of our short comings however I felt that we could have ran more traffic at Roberts and Gillet as both were really struggling with an injury of some sort.

It's a loss , but one we can learn from and one that we didn't get a hiding and kept on trying.

Just-a-Fan
02-04-16, 12:34 AM
I blame Henry for the lose to be honest why do you give a player a contract and not play him Cullen is a half Birds a forward Taylor needed to have some one to help with his kicks
Olive was moved again so I feel a bit sorry for him really and had a few big misses I still think Macdonald needs to go to the centre spot not the wing he can take a hit and still off load to the wing
Taylor was good and showed us he can play but really did miss Roberts there to help him
I could say something about the refs but what is the point we all know how it is
I feel very proud of our boys tonight stay in all the way had some lapses but team is only young
We were in it intill the Mortimer factor came into it sorry he is 1 player that that kills our go forwards
Mead what can I say about him to me was the best on the field on both side
Keep up the great work guys go get the sharks next game

Titanic Believer
02-04-16, 12:42 AM
Good game which met my hopes and expectations. Titans showed grit and determination when they could have been blown away. With two of our key players out. I recon Bennet isn't too happy with the Broncs performance.
Mead was inspirational following the early error.
Our backs have a lot to learn but they are mostly young. Brian
Ash Taylor's kicking game was good but there were some awful kick options which cost big time.

Titanic
02-04-16, 01:27 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed getting to a game ... my wife and my son's first home game with a collection of Chinese plus three Italians who have signed memberships today too. I wasn't disappointed at all and with the rub of the green we could have got a bit closer but wouldn't have won it for the following reasons:

1. They had more experienced players across the field.
2. Their players were played in their natural positions.
3. They trained in their positions all week.
4. Their new three-set play reamed us (more on this later).

I liked a lot of what I saw tonight and make the following comments:

1. James' haircut has turned him into an NRL star.
2. Mead's early mistake took him over the pain threshold and he ran at the line like he used to.
3. Don is a passenger in everything except under the high ball.
4. Last year we all saw that Bird should never play 6 ... nothing's changed.
5. Henry rolled the dice and came up snakes eyes ... Cullen must be used. He's a seasoned QCup 1/2.
6. Taylor still hasn't made a line break but when he works out how to read an NRL defensive line then look out.
7. Burr? You're kidding? No I'm not. Not our best but not our worst either. He won't displace Pulu but he's not far away.
8. Pettybourne is way down the list.
9. Mortimer is rocks and diamonds.
10. Olive and MacDonald should be persevered with. They are young, enthusiastic, inexperienced and error-ridden but they are both talented. They were exposed by the Broncos play that nobody talks about and is a variation of the second man play but if I was Henry I would be copying and it goes like this:

A. Hit a settler to centre field.
B. One of the half's takes it two passes to the left for a quick play the ball.
C. Dummy half throws a long cut out pass back to the other half who gets it behind their right edge forward to Bennett's surrogate who is then outside his man and there's the overlap.

(it is different because they use the whole field and three tackles to set it up rather than from a set piece)

Good game I thought, plenty to like and the crowd was great.

Boonarga
02-04-16, 03:09 AM
Good competitive game and I'm liking the new attitude. We finally have a forward pack that can bend a line.
The call by Henry to have Bird at 5/8 was stupid. Bird has had two great games in that position. Both were Origin which is a different game. EVERY time he has played there at club level has been poor. The problem is that he then thinks he's a 5/8 and can kick the ball.
The Broncs second half tries came on the back of good field position. Position we gave away with midfield bombs they were catching on their 40! Cullen should have played.
That said, Bird was great in defence and very strong when hitting the line in attack.
After attending my first game for the year I can see why Mead has slowed down. He's built like a brick ****house now.

Anyway, pleasing effort from the guys. In recent years we would have been toweled up.

ozynorts
02-04-16, 10:02 AM
Overall I was happy with the effort from the team. After the early Mead mistake that cost us he really stepped up. James is outstanding and, to me, is becoming a front rower like Steve Price. Really works hard, bends the line and never quits.
I wish Mead had a kicking and passing game.......... He could have taken a heap of pressure off if he was able to step in a take a kick or link into the attack and become and extra play maker.
The courage of the team to hang in there so far this season is massive. Teams can't take time off against us anymore. We have come behind in our last 3 games for a 2-1 record. To only lose to the Bronc's by that small of a margin gives a lot of hope for the rest of the season and next year.
Can't wait to see Ash and LG play together....

lonegull
02-04-16, 10:33 AM
Great effort by the Titans last night, just kept grinding away definately a new attitude has been installed into this team. It showed last night that a team can't rely on one kicker got to have an option as poor old bird is not a kicker. Another thing the donkeys where full strength so I am sure sure the players will take that into account and there will be plenty of positive energy to come out of that game. The crowd sounded awesome through the TV well done to all that attended

Show and Go
02-04-16, 10:45 AM
Pretty impressive performance last night IMO. Shut down Milford pretty well. What has happened to Paasi? He has battled since round 1. Ash Taylor is a keeper. He and Elgey will make one hell of a halves combination.

Mr Bods
02-04-16, 10:49 AM
Ok I'm going to throw in my 2cents now
1-these blokes who were odds on despised wooden spoon favourites that had media commentators like Neil BREEN and Andrew Webster saying things like and I quote "with LG gone for the season the Gold Coast are a basket case, they will not win a game and they will not be in the premiership in 2017" have so much resilience and grit. At 22-4 I could smell a 40-4 drubbing and it being an awful night for our club. I wish Annesley could've got us a better squad in terms of talent and shame on him for not doing his job,however, what a great bunch of men, I'm proud to support them.
2-Neil Henry is doing a great job in improving our players, rather than being armchair selectors why not just show some faith for once. When that useless Cartwright was coach we continually recruited exciting players only to see them go backwards under Cartwright coaching. In Henry we have a proper teaching Coach and I love his calmness. He's good for the GC image.
3-I got there early for the under 20s and their effort for a local derby at home was pathetic. Have we got a problem with the way we bring through our youth on the GC? Year in, year out our junior team is a massive underachiever. The way they folded altogether in the last twenty minutes was shameful.
4-Brisbane fans are spoilt rotten self-entitled scumbags that don't have half the passion as the dyed in the wool GC fans.

patskE
02-04-16, 10:51 AM
"CAMERON Cullen is in line to make his NRL debut against Cronulla with the Gold Coast Titans facing a halves crisis after the loss to Brisbane."
So a guy on debut with a backrower outside him? They will prob go with Mortimer and Bird tbh oh god.
Hopefully Roberts is good and Cullen comes into the side for taylor

DavidBouveng
02-04-16, 11:43 AM
Titanic is spot on about that play that smashes up the outside defensive structure.

people saying Nene and Olive were off their man aren't seeing what's happening inside. ( Olive could have made a much better attempt at jimmy the first try of course )

It it is designed that way. The damage wasn't only done inside them, it was done on other side of the ruck almost. By the time theHunt or Boyd got the ball they had options galore and our centre / wing were lame ducks.

Hopefully they hey learn to identify it and a way to defend it better.

JunctionBlock
02-04-16, 12:22 PM
Like I said at the end of the Canberra game, the thing I find most refreshing and encouraging is the fact we look like a team who wants to play for each other now. Last nights efforts were fantastic in some respects but certain decisions that are made (not by the players) are beyond me.

Definitely leaps and bounds ahead of where I thought we would be this year. Our forward pack is looking the goods but as we all feared coming into the season our outside backs have zero to offer in attack, which unfortunately with Jet and Nene last year we looked like having some of those troubles sorted out. I have no idea whats happened to Nene this year.

HS my comment RE moving McQueen to that side was with respect to swapping with Zeb not with Olive. In the same way Jet has Gillette to sort out any traffic that comes his way we needed someone like McQueen to help with the inexperienced duo of Olive and Nene. I'd still be happier with Davis. But again, as I previously said, if Hoffy was swapped to the other edge due to a perceived inability to contain Jet then he shouldn't even be on the field.

Anyway, great effort up front, great spirit and we managed to cover the points spread so even better for the back pocket.

shamus
02-04-16, 12:58 PM
I just looked at minutes played.........Langer played for 50.

Brock O'Brien
02-04-16, 01:49 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the team looks incredibly bunched up for the majority of our sets. I wasn't very impressed with Don's effort last night either, he was on my side of the field and he looked pretty slow and unfit. I also don't like how he basically just skips sideways for runs inside our 20 and barely makes any ground, we need hard charges like Mead was doing. There was a moment in the first half where we had plenty of space on the right side of the field, I think it was McQueen who made a run and there was at least ten metres of open space between the sideline and the Broncos winger if we just got the ball away, but Don was no where to be seen to support McQueen. Also, we tend to just do 4 hitups and then kick for almost every set, I think we could be a lot more dangerous if we used the ball through some backline plays, but that could come down to our main playmaker being out.

Nols of the Goldy
02-04-16, 02:46 PM
I can't talk today from all the screaming, mostly at the ref's calls last night. The Drongos were off side all night and as usual the refs didn't take any notice. However the thing I came away with from last night was the effort our boys put in, compared to the last few seasons where we would have thrown in the towel, we just kept pushing until the last minute. Also the crowd were awesome and the atmosphere was electric. Ash Taylor would have to one of my favourite players. He is such a great kid and was the last person to leave the ground I think walking around talking to the supporters. The future sure looks great for us and I can't wait to see LG and Ash together next year.

isaiah
02-04-16, 02:52 PM
I have been to a titans home game v broncos. It is a fun night. You couldn't really say you don't have a chip on your shoulders as fans.

Hail Sezer
02-04-16, 03:47 PM
Like I said at the end of the Canberra game, the thing I find most refreshing and encouraging is the fact we look like a team who wants to play for each other now. Last nights efforts were fantastic in some respects but certain decisions that are made (not by the players) are beyond me.

Definitely leaps and bounds ahead of where I thought we would be this year. Our forward pack is looking the goods but as we all feared coming into the season our outside backs have zero to offer in attack, which unfortunately with Jet and Nene last year we looked like having some of those troubles sorted out. I have no idea whats happened to Nene this year.

HS my comment RE moving McQueen to that side was with respect to swapping with Zeb not with Olive. In the same way Jet has Gillette to sort out any traffic that comes his way we needed someone like McQueen to help with the inexperienced duo of Olive and Nene. I'd still be happier with Davis. But again, as I previously said, if Hoffy was swapped to the other edge due to a perceived inability to contain Jet then he shouldn't even be on the field.

Anyway, great effort up front, great spirit and we managed to cover the points spread so even better for the back pocket.

My mistake mate. Fair call.

JunctionBlock
02-04-16, 03:59 PM
My mistake mate. Fair call.

All good. You're probably just used to me saying some dumb shi....stuff. Plus my comment was fairly ambiguous.

gcboyz
03-04-16, 05:16 PM
There was a lot to like about our effort and grit that allowed us to hang in there. I am really liking the combined efforts of a tough forward pack. Only having one kicking option allowed Ash to be mauled (particularly by Blair). I am not disappointed with the efforts of our backline, they are mostly still young and learning their craft and they were up against a very seasoned opposition.

Now a word about Jimmy the Judas. I do not believe that the regimented grinding style that the Donkeys play suits his spontaneous abilities. Please keep getting advice from Mundane about how good you are and wait for the clash of egos that that team is littered with.

An extra word for Grandpa Bennett. Please refrain from slagging off our Administration until you want to offer an explanation about Andrew Gee and the bouncing $100k.