PDA

View Full Version : NT: Demons given flick, Eels the yardstick

DIEHARD
12-03-16, 10:34 AM
NT Government slams Melbourne Demons for lack of community engagement, seeks replacement AFL club
http://www.ntnews.com.au/

THE Melbourne Demons are set to be given the flick from the NT.

The NT News understands the government is disgruntled with the Demons’ lack of community engagement, and are strongly considering ditching the Dees for another deal with an AFL club.

Port Adelaide and Essendon are set to become the Territory’s AFL affiliate, with the Demons deal ending this year.

Minister for Sport and Recreation Nathan Barrett would not concede the portfolio wanted to end the Demons’ Territory tenure, but said the government had received interest from other clubs to play AFL fixtures in the NT.

“Through the AFL, three clubs have expressed an interest to play in the Territory — these clubs are Melbourne Demons, Essendon and Port Adelaide,” Barrett told NT News.

“There is a clear process for the clubs to register their interest through the AFL.

“My door is always open to both the AFL and the clubs.”

Barrett said community engagement, including visits to communities, schools and junior clinics was the backbone of any deal.

“It’s important that it’s not just about hosting a game,” he said.

“It’s about providing junior development for the kids, the local coaches and helping the parents who take their kids to the games to play footy.”

Barrett said the two-year deal with the Demons was a “a resounding success”, resonating with Territorians.

Chief Minister Adam Giles was more direct in his displeasure with the Demons.

“I support development of industry, development of sport, making sure that coaches are being supported to develop their skills,” he said on Darwin radio station Mix 104.9FM today.

“I want pathways and development.

“That is what I have been happy with the Parramatta Eels about and I haven’t necessarily been as happy with the Melbourne Demons about their community approach.”

Melbourne play Port Adelaide in Alice Springs on May 28, and Fremantle Dockers at TIO Stadium on July 9.

But the matchday experience for revellers is a mere sideshow according to Giles.

“The games are good, and we enjoy the games, but to me it’s about the community engagement pathways in development,” he said.

“That’s what I want to see more of out of the AFL.

“There a few other clubs that are scouting around and we’re talking to about whether or not they can offer a different deal for AFL.”

Giles said Parramatta’s investment in Territory talent was a yardstick, with junior Territorian Eels earning spots on Parramatta playing lists.

The Eels CEO John Boulous was in Darwin this week spruiking his club’s desire for an additional deal after the current four-year agreement ends next year.

The Eels play Gold Coast Titans at TIO Stadium on June 11.