GOLD COAST TITANS vs NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS
Sunday 06 Mar 2016, 3:30pm, Cbus Super Stadium

Tickets: TBA
Memberships: http://membership.titans.com.au/

Bayside Titan
15-02-16, 07:46 PM
Staff writers
Mon, Feb 15, 2016 - 05:08PM

Titans front-rower Luke Douglas is in danger of missing Round 1 through suspension, one of two players charged by the NRL Match Review Committee from the weekend's NRL trials.

Douglas faces the prospect of missing the Titans' season-opener against the Knights for his grade one carless high tackle on Parramatta counterpart Daniel Alvaro, with a prior non-similar offence in the past two years and 75 carryover points meaning even an early guilty plea would result in a one-match ban. Despite his Round 1 ban, Douglas would be free to play in any further trials for his club as his charge was below a grade three.

Sea Eagles prop Brenton Lawrence was cited for a grade one dangerous contact – head/neck charge for an incident involving Matt Prior, but with an early guilty plea attracting a penalty of 75 carryover points and a prior good record, Lawrence won't miss any game time should he elect to take the early plea.

http://m.nrl.com/douglas-facing-round-1-ban/tabid/10874/newsid/92901/default.aspx

Bayside Titan
16-02-16, 04:05 PM
.@GCTitans forward Luke Douglas takes early plea for careless high tackle, will miss round 1 #NRL

Source FoxSport.

https://twitter.com/foxsportsnews/status/699437769840459778

JunctionBlock
19-02-16, 07:49 AM
Bit of a puff piece regarding the bench spots. Personally if yesterdays rumours of Mortimer heading back to Sydney next year are true then I think I would prefer to persevere with Moseley (if he's fit) this year. But because I'm hearing Daniel Mortimer on the radio for James Frizelle I guess I know what's happening.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/daniel-mortimer-ahead-of-kierran-moseley-in-race-for-gold-coast-titans-bench/news-story/c4524d0eba9231d9dc5a7696061828ee

- - - Updated - - -

Bit more info on Nene and his possible replacement for Rd 1

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/gold-coast-titans-young-guns-have-chance-to-impress-as-nene-macdonald-battles-injury/news-story/0cb942acdcd08ae11f4f4a0c9faec340

Titanic
19-02-16, 12:56 PM
Titanic marketing strategy following:

C'mon you pussies, register for our Fantasy and Tipping comps http://www.leagueoftitans.com.au/images/smilies/frown.png and http://www.leagueoftitans.com.au/images/smilies/smile.png ... ya friggin' sheilas!

Mexican titan
29-02-16, 02:51 PM
I don't know what is going on with ticket sales to this game. Just checked the Ticketek site and 5 bays on the eastern side are showing no tickets available as well as about 7 bays on the western side and 3 bays at the northern end. As per last year the entire south end is showing none available. In other words tickets are being sold in about 10 bays only if what is on the Ticketek plan is right. I know some have to be held to give new season ticket holders a choice but this seems over the top. I don't like one end being blocked off as it just looks amateurish but if more bays are blocked off that would just about do me.
Anyone know what the story is.

DIEHARD
29-02-16, 03:00 PM
I'm tipping the Titans for Round 1.

DIEHARD
29-02-16, 03:00 PM
I don't know what is going on with ticket sales to this game. Just checked the Ticketek site and 5 bays on the eastern side are showing no tickets available as well as about 7 bays on the western side and 3 bays at the northern end. As per last year the entire south end is showing none available. In other words tickets are being sold in about 10 bays only if what is on the Ticketek plan is right. I know some have to be held to give new season ticket holders a choice but this seems over the top. I don't like one end being blocked off as it just looks amateurish but if more bays are blocked off that would just about do me.
Anyone know what the story is.

Well they only just starting selling match tickets a week or so ago... I'm gonna take a look.

Manzo
29-02-16, 03:14 PM
http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/content/knights/club/news/2016/02/29/history_making_debut.html

they are naming a young squad

Titanic
29-02-16, 03:27 PM
I had a similar problem when booking seats for the Broncos game but found it happened because I used the back button to change my options and the system didn't like that.

karnage
29-02-16, 05:25 PM
The Knights look like naming 5 debutantes for Rd 1 and the books still have us as underdogs!! If we don't start fav in this game we will not start fav in a game all season long. The only other real chance would be Rd 2 v The Tigers.

I think we are pretty good value straight up if you want to have a bet on the opener. Even money at home to a bad team with 5 players having their first game looks good to me.

DavidBouveng
29-02-16, 09:14 PM
yeah i think this is perfect for us. unless Nathan Brown knows something we dont. I actually like that he going balls out.

but really it means we should win, and tigers in round 3 should be a win if we are any chance of being competitive this year.

karnage
01-03-16, 08:21 AM
yeah i think this is perfect for us. unless Nathan Brown knows something we dont. I actually like that he going balls out.

but really it means we should win, and tigers in round 3 should be a win if we are any chance of being competitive this year.

We need to be 2-1 at the worst to start the year.

Nols of the Goldy
01-03-16, 12:09 PM
Zilly may be out for the Knights game. On Zero Tackle.

Mr Bods
01-03-16, 02:46 PM
Zilly may be out for the Knights game. On Zero Tackle.

How that Condon bloke gets rehired every year is beyond me

timor 2
01-03-16, 04:03 PM
Titans
1 Will Zillman (c)
2 Anthony Don
3 Josh Hoffman
4 Nathan Davis
5 David Mead
6 Tyrone Roberts
7 Ashley Taylor
8 David Shillington
9 Nathan Friend (c)
10 Agnatius Paasi
11 Zeb Taia
12 Chris McQueen
13 Greg Bird

Interchange
14 Eddy Pettybourne
15 Ryan James
16 Leivaha Pulu
17 Daniel Mortimer
18 Lachlan Burr
19 Leva Li

Coach: Neil Henry

Titanic Believer
01-03-16, 04:10 PM
Leva Li on standby if Zillman out?

5 Year Contract
01-03-16, 04:10 PM
Titans
1 Will Zillman (c)
2 Anthony Don
3 Josh Hoffman
4 Nathan Davis
5 David Mead
6 Tyrone Roberts
7 Ashley Taylor
8 David Shillington
9 Nathan Friend (c)
10 Agnatius Paasi
11 Zeb Taia
12 Chris McQueen
13 Greg Bird

Interchange
14 Eddy Pettybourne
15 Ryan James
16 Leivaha Pulu
17 Daniel Mortimer
18 Lachlan Burr
19 Leva Li

Coach: Neil Henry

**** Off Zilly then would be good to add Olive, Macdonald and GL into the mix pick our best backline to take the field. Take out Mortimer and slot Mosely in when he is fit and with Douglas back in the side honestly thats a pretty competitive team. Obviously this wont happen so it feels like why even bother complaining about Zillman anymore

Manzo
01-03-16, 05:34 PM
if zilly is injured mead at FB, leva lee on wing

Titanic
01-03-16, 05:37 PM
Not sure on Moseley over Mortimer (at nine) ... Moseley didn't provide the WOW factor last season that I had expected and hasn't played pre-season, so at best would be under-done.

As for Zillman ... Mead to 1 and Li on to the wing ... Olive has just joined and others equally as well-credentialed have been training with the team. Li's size wins me. In fact without Zillman and when Macdonald and Douglas return we'll frighten a few teams.

DavidBouveng
01-03-16, 05:46 PM
Not sure on Moseley over Mortimer (at nine) ... Moseley didn't provide the WOW factor last season that I had expected and hasn't played pre-season, so at best would be under-done.

As for Zillman ... Mead to 1 and Li on to the wing ... Olive has just joined and others equally as well-credentialed have been training with the team. Li's size wins me. In fact without Zillman and when Macdonald and Douglas return we'll frighten a few teams.
and they wont even see it coming. if we have a good gameplan and are coached well week to week, our blanced team with no real superstars can surprise some teams.
our forward pack and bench are solid, with a few people that can bang.

without zillman, we have size in Li, Nene and Davis, plus Mead.

and our halves will be adequate enough to at least move the ball to our edge where we have some good runners and have good kicking games.

looking at some team lists today... there are some teams that look a lot weaker than last year.

TitanSam
01-03-16, 06:30 PM
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/titans/new-recruit-could-make-titans-debut-against-knights-if-contract-finalised-in-time/news-story/d2bce60c03418dc9868d855b0fd9dcbc

If Olives contract is finalised by Sunday he may play

Supergoose
01-03-16, 09:50 PM
I have to disagree with Titanic about Moseley. He is clearly a better attacking hooker than Mortimer. The team actually hummed along in attack when he was on at the start of last season. Yes he need to defend a bit better, but that will come with time. He is underdone and needs some match time and fitness but he is far superior to Mortimer as a hooker IMO.

I'm happy for Olive to earn his spot. I thought Davis, Kelly and Leleisiaou all deserve their spot in the queue and I hope Davis has a great Titan debut. I also agree that healthy we are looking good and that the not being healthy thing needs to be looked at. Condon has to be under the microscope. Looking forward to seeing big Pulu go.

I'm hoping Zillman can turn things around after his injury woes. Not holding my breath but if he can capture a glimpse of his early potential, he may just provide an x-factor for us. If it's more of the same, I hope Henry has the cojones to do what's necessary unlike his predecessor.

Titanic
01-03-16, 10:41 PM
Fair enough Goose, I am also a Moseley fan but right now he just doesn't tick enough boxes.

teke
02-03-16, 02:31 AM
Fair enough Goose, I am also a Moseley fan but right now he just doesn't tick enough boxes.I agree

ozynorts
02-03-16, 08:53 AM
I don't think clubs can carry a dedicated hooker on the bench anymore.. With reduced interchange the utility in the bench has to be able to cover hooker AND an injury in the half's or backs. For me that isn't Mosesly at this stage.

Titanic
02-03-16, 10:53 AM
And that opens the debate of the value of "hooker v half's" ... is it better to have a spare 9 covering 9, 6 & 7 or a 6 or 7 who can cover 9 (and dare I say other backline positions). Frankly, I am of the 6 or 7 lobby (except in the case of Mortimer who just is not a half).

Mods, my bad, I'll open a thread for discussion.

JunctionBlock
03-03-16, 08:42 AM
David Mead keen to play fullback if William Zillman ruled out for Gold Coast Titans
March 3, 2016 12:00am
Connor O’BrienGold Coast Bulletin

David Mead in top gear during the Auckland Nines earlier this month. Picture: Getty Images
GOLD Coast’s David Mead is putting up his hand to play fullback if Titans co-captain William Zillman is ruled out of Sunday’s season opener.

Zillman, named at No.1 for the home clash against Newcastle, is battling a calf injury.

Mead looks the man most likely to switch to the back if need be, with Josh Hoffman thought to be more likely to stay in the centres and Leva Li ready to slot in on the wing.

Despite playing the vast majority of his 129 NRL games on the wing, Mead is known to enjoy the responsibility involved with playing fullback.

He had 60 minutes in the custodian role in the opening trial game against Parramatta.

“I really enjoyed getting my hands on the ball a lot more, doing a couple of extra tackles up the middle there and just talking a lot more,” Mead said.

“It’s a bigger challenge than playing on the wing. I guess I enjoy that aspect of it.”

Entering his eighth season at the Titans, he is looking to take the club’s up-and-coming prodigies under his wing, just as the likes of Luke Bailey and Scott Prince did for him back in 2009.

“They helped make my transition into first grade a lot easier because they had been there and done it before and I always sought advice off those guys,” Mead said.

“The average age around here (now) is probably around 22 or 23, so there are a lot of young guys here.

“You try to help them out as much as you can and just help them get that game-day routine or the week’s preparation right,” he said.

The Port Moresby-born flyer says the wisdom passed on to him early in his career had brought about an improvement in his match preparation, which in turn led to him becoming a more consistent force.

“It took me a couple of years before I sort of had that consistency in my game but I’m always still looking to improve and make sure I play to the best of my ability,” the 27-year-old said.

Regarding his personal goals for 2016, Mead is gunning for more chances on the representative stage after lining up for NSW Country the past two seasons.

“It is a goal of mine but I guess that only comes if you are winning games and your own personal performances are up there.

“That’s what I want to focus on: make sure I’m playing good every week and the team is consistent every week.”

DIEHARD
04-03-16, 06:03 AM
I'd be happy if Meady plays #1. Bring it on.

Looking forward to being there.

I still havent bought my memberships, might do that today. I'll probably go Legion.

I'm keen to get some flags and banners going.

JunctionBlock
04-03-16, 11:35 AM
Wacko is saying Zillman out, Mead to FB and Olive to wing. Li was in for cover if Don was out.

gcboyz
04-03-16, 04:48 PM
Wow , I just had two dollars each way on the Titans to win in round one and all of a sudden we are equal favourites at $1.91. Even the bookies are getting on board.

Manzo
04-03-16, 06:49 PM
knights have a lot of rookies, what you guys reckon?

i think big high ball then birdy can (legally) crunch the young FB, hopefully make him nervous for the rest of game

TitanSam
05-03-16, 09:11 AM
TravisMeyn - Zillman OUT , Olive IN

Manzo
05-03-16, 12:22 PM
http://www.nrl.com/zillman-ruled-out-by-titans/tabid/10874/newsid/93458/default.aspx

yep and mead to FB

Titanic
05-03-16, 01:12 PM
My satellite provider has canned the Setanta Sports channel and thus my lounge-lizard HD NRL :( so cancelled the first game bbq and it's off to our local sports bar until I can change provider :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
05-03-16, 02:20 PM
My satellite provider has canned the Setanta Sports channel and thus my lounge-lizard HD NRL :( so cancelled the first game bbq and it's off to our local sports bar until I can change provider :thumbsup:

I hope you can sort it out, or stream it or something.

DIEHARD
05-03-16, 02:20 PM
Happy for Mead to be at fullback. Very happy.

DIEHARD
05-03-16, 02:24 PM
Gold Coast Titans fans urged to use public transport for Knights clash

GOLD Coast Titans fans have urged the community to make the most of added public transport services to cheer the team on in tomorrow’s season opener against Newcastle.

Shuttle buses will be made available earlier, while more services will run from Palm Beach for southern residents.

Long-time supporter Danielle Brand declared free public transport was by far the easiest way of getting to and from Cbus Super Stadium in Robina.

“(When we have) parked down the road, it’s not as easy to get out in that traffic,” Ms Brand said.

“We prefer to park ‘n’ ride. It’s quicker for the young ones.”

Rhonda Toms, a Titans fan since the team began in 2007, encouraged people to lap up the atmosphere.

“It’s always fun to be on a bus with Titans fans and even the opposition sometimes — there’s a lot of banter that goes on,” she said.

She said Gold Coasters were spoilt when it came to getting to the ground.

“I travel to away games and you don’t get this everywhere,” she said.

“You have to pay for your transport if you want to go and watch.”

Fellow fan Frankie Varley agreed, claiming stadiums of rival teams such as Canberra, Melbourne and Cronulla were far more difficult to get to.

Shuttle buses will run from Firth Park in Mudgeeraba and the Broadbeach South event bus stop on the Gold Coast Highway, while routes also service fans coming from areas, including Southport, Reedy Creek and Pacific Fair.

Parking is available at train stations, with the heavy rail taking fans to Robina station, roughly 300m from the stadium.

Tickets are still available at Ticketek or at the gate.

For more information on how to get to the game, visit the TransLink website.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/

DIEHARD
05-03-16, 02:24 PM
No disrespect to them, but the club must stop using the same 6 fans in photo ops. It makes the fanbase look tiny and plays favourites. Someone at the club should be managing our supporter base image, which should be deep and diverse. All good for them to attend, but place fresh faces at the forefront.

TITAN PETE
05-03-16, 02:26 PM
Happy for Mead to be at fullback. Very happy.

I can see him scoring 2 tries with a Man of the March performance tomorrow

TitanSam
05-03-16, 02:30 PM
I can see him scoring 2 tries with a Man of the March performance tomorrow but still get dropped back to the wing for Zilly when he comes back

DIEHARD
05-03-16, 02:52 PM
Gold Coast Titans v Newcastle Knights

Cbus Super Stadium
Sunday, 5.30pm AEDT

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."

The words of great American horror writer HP Lovecraft will resonate strongly with fans of both the Titans and Knights as dramatically remodelled rosters take the field with the initial aim to prove the doubters wrong.

Titans coach Neil Henry will unveil a completely new halves pairing in Tyrone Roberts and Ashley Taylor along with new recruits Nathan Friend, David Shillington, Chris McQueen and Zeb Taia while Newcastle coach Nathan Brown has named a club record five debutants including the Saifiti twins, Jacob and Daniel.

Given both teams are unfancied this season, two points and the confidence a win will bring is absolutely critical at this time of the year.

Watch out Titans: Sione Mata'utia and Jake Mamo had been touted as the players to succeed Kurt Gidley as Knights fullback but former Bulldogs junior Jaelen Feeney has trumped them both to get the nod for Round 1. Pivotal in the halves in Newcastle's NSW Cup premiership win last season, Feeney was 18th man three times for the NRL team and now finally gets his chance in the top grade. A Queensland under-20s representative in 2014, it is fitting that the Nerang Roosters junior makes his first grade debut in front of friends and family on the Gold Coast.

Watch out Knights: He's somewhat of a gentle giant but teammates have seen a fire in the eyes of prop David Shillington that they predict will see the former Raider back to his best. With Test and Origin experience Shillington brings a 'follow me' style of leadership to the Titans very much in the mould of former skipper Nate Myles. A prolific offloader of the footy, Shillington will give the Titans plenty of second-phase options which will disrupt the Knights defence and provide opportunities for the likes of Will Zillman and David Mead in mid-field. Gold Coast boasts a very experienced forward pack in 2016 and that platform for the backs will all start with a Shillington charge.

Key Match-up: Tyrone Roberts v Trent Hodkinson. When combinations are very much in their infancy the role of the halfback to keep the team's course steady is all the more important, so much rests with the two new No.7s. Facing off against the club where he played 97 NRL games in his first game for the Titans, Roberts will be the senior partner alongside under-20s player of the year Ashley Taylor and eager to show that the Knights had a first-class half already on their books. Hodkinson comes into the Knights set-up as the incumbent NSW half and surrounded by a bunch of talented kids that coach Nathan Brown has decided are ready for the deep end. Last tackle options, completed sets and turning four points into six; they are the crucial responsibilities both men have ahead of them.

The History: Played 14; Titans 5, Knights 9. A controversial try to Dane Gagai and a perfect evening of goal-kicking from Tyrone Roberts saw the Knights edge past the Titans in Round 3 at Cbus last season and then Gold Coast produced one of their worst displays of the year in going down 30-2 in Newcastle in Round 19. The Knights have won four times in five visits to Robina, their only loss coming in Round 1, 2009 (34-20).

What are the Odds? Titans $2.07, Knights $1.74. Not the biggest betting game of the round with Sportsbet but the flow of money has been for this year's wooden spoon favourites, the Titans, up against last year's spooners, the Knights. There's 50 per cent more invested on the Gold Coast in head-to-head betting, but when it comes to the winning margin, it’s all 1-12 for the Titans rather than 13-plus. Latest odds at Sportsbet.com.au

Match Officials: Referee: Henry Perenara; Assistant Referee: Chris James; Touch Judges: Clayton Sharpe and Peter Gough; Review Officials: Bryan Norrie and Matt Cecchin; Senior RO: Luke Patten.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 6.30pm AEDT

The way we see it: Youth and enthusiasm can be an exhilarating mix but when it comes to the crunch it will be the senior players on both sides that will determine the victor. Hodkinson will be eager to show his knee troubles are behind him and form a productive partnership with Jarrod Mullen while up front the likes of Kade Snowden, Jeremy Smith and Robbie Rochow have to lead the way. On paper the Titans have a greater balance of youth and experience and on their home turf should do enough to start 2016 with a win. Titans by eight points.

http://www.nrl.com/

Titan4Life
05-03-16, 03:06 PM
Hoping Meady kills it at the back. Only issue is, if he does have a MOM performance at the back, does Zillman come straight back in (likely) or do we have more brains than that?

JunctionBlock
05-03-16, 03:42 PM
TravisMeyn - Zillman OUT , Olive IN

That's the problem with being the bottom of a page (2). I posted that news yesterday at 11:30am.

Manzo
05-03-16, 06:25 PM
Hoping Meady kills it at the back. Only issue is, if he does have a MOM performance at the back, does Zillman come straight back in (likely) or do we have more brains than that?

i think if he gets MOM we have enough brains to keep him there, but if he doesnt zilly will be straight back

DIEHARD
05-03-16, 06:27 PM
Titans v Knights: David Mead has chance to push case for Gold Coast No. 1 jersey
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/

A FITTER David Mead will get another opportunity to mount his case for the Gold Coast’s No. 1 jersey against Newcastle.

Mead will move to the back in place of injured co-captain William Zillman (calf), paving the way for South Sydney recruit John Olive to make his Titans debut.

Olive only joined the club on Monday but will be rushed on to the wing for the Cbus Super Stadium clash against a Knights side with five NRL debutants.

Mead has made no secret of his desire to be a career fullback but the extremely fit Zillman is coach Neil Henry’s first-choice custodian.

Running out games has been the NSW Country representative’s battle but co-captain Nathan Friend said he had made big improvements.

“He keeps telling me the (winning) percentage when he plays fullback is quite high,” Friend said.

“He’s got a great running game. It’s always good when they kick downtown and he’s carrying it back for us.

“He’s a strong ballrunner, takes the right options and is a good talker. I’m looking forward to him at the back. He works on his game tirelessly and nutrition is a big part for him.”

Zillman hasn’t played an NRL game since Round 10 last year and is expected to be available to face Melbourne next weekend.

Henry said Mead was relishing the prospect of moving into the role and had worked on his fitness.

“He likes to get back there and bring the ball back,” Henry said.

John Olive will make his debut for the Titans against the Knights. Picture: Adam Head
“He’s really worked hard on his aerobic conditioning.

“It’s a very demanding position. There’s a lot of unseen running that goes on.

“The best fullbacks are clocking up 10km easily in a game. He’s an explosive runner but he’s got to be able to stay on the ball.”

A calf problem for winger Leva Li meant Olive was pushed straight into the side.

DIEHARD
05-03-16, 06:29 PM
CAPTAIN'S CALL: Nathan Friend
<script height="349px" width="620px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#ec=I1NGZsMTE6BkZsjpDf6RfmULDnRPJy6X&pbid=fd5fc71d2bcc4b60a622cf8d3348d605"></script>

DavidBouveng
05-03-16, 08:36 PM
actually i forgot about Meads winning % when he plays at the back.

its like 70% or something. and he won 3 MOM's in about 6 weeks in his only real stint there.

im now putting the house on us

gotitans101_
05-03-16, 08:41 PM
It never seems to matter though. Whenever Zillman is fit they always slot him straight in at #1. So annoying.

Manzo
05-03-16, 09:06 PM
sounds like a positive article diehard..... hopefully he can hold the fb position at least everyone now knows he wants to play there

Titanic
05-03-16, 10:07 PM
It never seems to matter though. Whenever Zillman is fit they always slot him straight in at #1. So annoying.If I treated the rest of the playing group with such disrespect when I was coaching I would have been run out of town. On a brighter note, Friend's interview was refreshingly entertaining ... he'll make a huge difference running the ruck.

TITAN PETE
05-03-16, 10:09 PM
Tomorrow our season begins with probably 99% of the RL community expecting us to receive our 2nd Wooden Spoon at seasons end so I see the plus side in that we still have a team to support & with little to no expectations 'm hoping to prove the doubters wrong with a win & what ever follows in the weeks ahead..

Excited about kickoff & watching Friendy back where he belongs leading our side out on the park..

#itsback

DavidBouveng
05-03-16, 11:01 PM
yeah i like his thinly veiled contempt for previous staff. and his wifes lol.

Titan4Life
06-03-16, 05:51 AM
Today is the day boys. Very excited to see how we go and especially the new boys. Also Mead at fullback!

Titans by 8-12.

shamus
06-03-16, 10:03 AM
Today is the day boys. Very excited to see how we go and especially the new boys. Also Mead at fullback!

Titans by 8-12.

Nah......I have an all up with Titans 13+

DIEHARD
06-03-16, 01:08 PM
Fired up, ready to go.

I'm like a kids again waiting for the footy. It was always a bit part of my life.

I've tipped us. We can do it with some devil may care football.

I've watched 5 games this weekend of Rugby League, I can't get enough.

TitanSam
06-03-16, 01:12 PM
Predictions for first tries lads?

DavidBouveng
06-03-16, 01:23 PM
Fired up, ready to go.

I'm like a kids again waiting for the footy. It was always a bit part of my life.

I've tipped us. We can do it with some devil may care football.

I've watched 5 games this weekend of Rugby League, I can't get enough.

yeah me too mate. enjoyed watching so many players in new teams too.

thursday night footy is great, and its like xmas early to get footy on thursday, but friday is time to pay the piper, and i feel unsatisfied with only one game now.

- - - Updated - - -

Predictions for first tries lads?

Zeb

DIEHARD
06-03-16, 01:29 PM
Titans vs Knights game day info - CLICK HERE (http://www.titans.com.au/content/titans/club/tickets/game_day_information.html)

Game Times:

3:05pm - Gates open
3:10pm - NYC Under 20's match
5.30pm - Titans v Knights 5:30pm

DIEHARD
06-03-16, 02:43 PM
I'm still working but I'll get there at about 4pm it seems.

TITAN PETE
06-03-16, 02:44 PM
I'm the only one lined up at Gate B

#letmein

DIEHARD
06-03-16, 03:22 PM
I'm the only one lined up at Gate B

#letmein

It's like Black Friday in the USA, no one get in the way of Pete.

Mr Bods
06-03-16, 04:13 PM
This effort by the under 20s is nothing short of pitiful.
Ben Woolf has got to be kidding.

Barrels
06-03-16, 04:47 PM
i got a quick look at the score on NRL.com and it doesnt look to good

Titanic
06-03-16, 05:21 PM
Can't wait ... watched the Bunnies wallop the Chickpees (see what I did there Shamus) but the injuries ... wtf?

Titan4Life
06-03-16, 05:34 PM
Here we go! Cmon lads!

Btw we have another new sponsor, Trip a Deal. Good to see more sponsors jumping on board.

Barrels
06-03-16, 05:53 PM
John Olive bringin the goods. Sounds like there were a few Newcsatle chants goin on there. All looking pretty good so far.

- - - Updated - - -

i though GMT was our back sponsor? what happened to them?

TitanSam
06-03-16, 05:54 PM
Yeeeewww Johnny

JunctionBlock
06-03-16, 05:56 PM
John Olive bringin the goods. Sounds like there were a few Newcsatle chants goin on there. All looking pretty good so far.

- - - Updated - - -

i though GMT was our back sponsor? what happened to them?

GRT Global Road Technologies. Dust suppressant guys for the mines. Guess they didn't feel the need to continue getting a community presence on the Gold Coast.

Titanic
06-03-16, 05:58 PM
Greg Birds PASSES!!!! and we score

Barrels
06-03-16, 05:59 PM
GRT Global Road Technologies. Dust suppressant guys for the mines. Guess they didn't feel the need to continue getting a community presence on the Gold Coast.

My bad. Bit of a shame, signed on only last year.

- - - Updated - - -

that pass from Bird was mint. Brilliantly played.

- - - Updated - - -

could swear Sims wasn't square when he made that strip but :/

gotitans101_
06-03-16, 06:03 PM
No way was Korbin square there...doesn't excuse the flimsy edge defence though.

Barrels
06-03-16, 06:04 PM
I didn't expect us to defend that. Anyway we got the ball back now so we need work with what we have.

- - - Updated - - -

take that back, we've lost any mojo we had

JunctionBlock
06-03-16, 06:06 PM
easy easy metres against us. Still can't control a ruck. Year after year.

Barrels
06-03-16, 06:14 PM
poor last ttackle option from morts. Should've got it to a real half for a grubber.

JunctionBlock
06-03-16, 06:17 PM
Gotta say Ash Taylor is impressing me. For his "debut" he's handling himself very well and as we knew his kicking game is pin point accurate. Even Roberts should play AFL with the distance on his kicks.

Barrels
06-03-16, 06:20 PM
good first half effort. Bit scrappy but the weather doesn't look too good.

Titanic
06-03-16, 06:20 PM
Pretty fair 1st half in those conditions.

teke
06-03-16, 06:21 PM
I like the first 40 of the yr, it was a nice solid start

5 Year Contract
06-03-16, 06:22 PM
Not to get too far ahead but solid first half. Great kicking game and performance from the halves so far. Still a few errors but given the conditions thats ok but again we let the pressure straight off with an error like we did so many times last year. Again this game shows Zilly belongs no where near the team. Friendys defence has been great but definitely need more of a spark at #9 off the bench and hopefully that will be Mosely. Hopefully we go on from it from here

Geeman
06-03-16, 06:33 PM
Pretty pleased with the first half, I can accept the errors given it is their first proper match together, and happy with how we are looking so far.

Titanic
06-03-16, 06:39 PM
Built well and Don in ... Davis great kick, Roberts great chase set it up.

teke
06-03-16, 06:40 PM
March premiers, you heard it here first !!

JunctionBlock
06-03-16, 06:42 PM
How long is Ash Taylors contract for?

rj62
06-03-16, 06:49 PM
10 years too much to ask...?:)

- - - Updated - - -

loving this....

JunctionBlock
Dead set, Mortimer better not get a try assist for that complete and utter muff up (for lack of a naughty word).

Barrels
looking pretty good now boys

Titanic
06-03-16, 06:50 PM
Funniest try ever ... but I'll take it.

JunctionBlock
06-03-16, 06:50 PM
As Brock Lesnar would say, we got chicken salad from chicken sh!t.

Titanic
06-03-16, 06:55 PM
Pulu over run twice ... back to the QCup.

rj62
06-03-16, 06:57 PM
how can the co-captain be bought back in......?

Barrels
06-03-16, 07:05 PM
i don't ever want to see Zillman in this team again. Time to hang up the boots i reckon

- - - Updated - - -

at least the weather up there looks nice ;)

- - - Updated - - -

don't understand how that was our knock on, looked to me like an offside from newcastle but...

JunctionBlock
Pulu over run twice ... back to the QCup.

Is the alternate Burr though?

rj62
i don't ever want to see Zillman in this team again. Time to hang up the boots i reckon

- - - Updated - - -

at least the weather up there looks nice ;)

"Injury forces retirement......?"

Barrels
06-03-16, 07:06 PM
oh Newcastle just scored. Poor defence but the weather doesn't look too good

Titanic
06-03-16, 07:06 PM
Is the alternate Burr though?Douglas in, James to back row.

JunctionBlock
06-03-16, 07:11 PM
With Zillman injured and Friend off since the 30th minute, did the club do the only sane thing and make Mortimer captain? Hopefully after this game he'll get a seat on the board of directors.

rj62
06-03-16, 07:17 PM
Well, I'm bloody happy with that!!!!!

That bloke Henry goes alright eh?

Great work !!!

Titanic
06-03-16, 07:31 PM
Also happy with that and thought pretty much every one went well in patches. Sure we can nit pick but in the rain and first game up, great start. Hoffman's defence was fantastic but the one and only time he passed he passed into Uate's mit. Honestly that bloke could not pass wind after a dozen boxes of Heinz baked beans.

Generally though, I could not fault anybody's effort. I even felt Pulu redeemed himself after getting smashed by that cheap-shot from the big blouse Pauli Pauli.

Titan4Life
06-03-16, 07:31 PM
Well what a win for the lads! Great to start the season with a win and there were some positive signs. Just my thoughts:

-Halves were fairly good. Roberts steered us around the park, was solid in defence and did nothing wrong. Ash has a great kicking game. Might as well include Bird in here as he set up two tries with some great passes!

-Forwards looked much better and got us down field well. Shillo and McQueen made some strong carries but the real stand out was Paasi with 180m+ made. Taia very solid in D and Bird was solid as usual.

-Mead, do I need to go on? He should no doubt be our first choice fullback. So fearless under the high ball and a weapon in attack. Olive was strong and picked up a well deserved try. Davis went okay but hogged the ball a bit, not going to criticise though because he went good for a debutant. Don is the man and scored a freakish try.

-Friend helped us a lot when he was on especially stopping half breaks. Mortimer wasn't terrible but still passed a few shockers from hooker.

-Defence overall was solid and we held our own pretty well. Attack looked alright but for obvious reasons, still need a bit of gelling yet. Fairly good for a team that hasn't played together really.

So are we expecting Davis or Olive to drop out next week for Zillman who pushes Mead to the wing...such a shame.

Anyway great win and puts me in a good mood for the week! Up the Tits!

Show and Go
06-03-16, 07:33 PM
Great win! PAASI!!!! He is a ripper. Mead at fullback was very good. Please don't bring Zillman back. So many positives. This team can only improve after that win. Really good stuff.

gotitans101_
06-03-16, 07:33 PM
Not taking much out of that win to be honest, the Knights were awful.

Show and Go
06-03-16, 07:35 PM
There should be a riot if Zillman gets picked next week. He is a dead weight.

patskE
Pulu was a tad excited but looks good. he threw a great cut out pass too.
Did Mortimer keep friend off for the 2nd half or was he injured? he had one of his better game bar for a few errors. I think friends speed is a big factor these days... we needed that zip and looked alot better with morts in there bar for friends tackling around the ruck.

So who do you drop?
Olive made hoffman look good. Made 2 try saving tackles on Gagai from behind, then hoffman finally makes a tackle on him and gets praised by the commentators.
Davis was solid, and his height is a big advantage.
I wouldnt pick zillman again. Just cant fit him in.
But when is MacDonald back? You think he would came straight back in too. I would rather Olive then Don but yeh. Atleast for once we have pressure on players to keep their spot.

rj62
Not taking much out of that win to be honest, the Knights were awful.

Better than starting with a loss.......

Titanic
06-03-16, 07:40 PM
McDonald and Douglas to come in ... now that's good position to be in.

Barrels
06-03-16, 07:42 PM
I reckon if Zillman retires now, he'll get a nice pay packet and leave in a descent position. It's not that i don't like him, but after today i just can't see a spot for him in our team, especially at FB. Him playing any more games is going to ruin his reputation and quite possibly any chance our season has.

JunctionBlock
06-03-16, 07:48 PM
Anyone know the crowd figure. Looked terrible. Hope they counted all the smokers coming back in after halftime to make it look half decent.

Good win. Needed it after the Tigers upset win over the Warriors.

patskE
06-03-16, 07:56 PM
Anyone know the crowd figure. Looked terrible. Hope they counted all the smokers coming back in after halftime to make it look half decent.

Good win. Needed it after the Tigers upset win over the Warriors.

rain would of kept people away/hiding up under the roofs

5 Year Contract
06-03-16, 08:08 PM
Great first up win and with 3/4 the team new you could really tell we are in much better shape than last year. Taylor and Roberts were fantastic with Taylor really impressing given his lack of first grade experience. Our kicking game was superb. Forwards did a great job and our defense was miles ahead of last year. Mead was solid at fullback and again you cant bring Zillman into this team. McDonald and Douglas will come back in but thats it. If Zillman is fullback then I deadset give up on henry given all the great work he has already done with the team. Mortimer didnt do much given the game time and I really hope to see Mosely back soon.

Its only game 1 so cant get overly excited but honestly I really enjoyed watching that game and seeing our new combinations/plays.

Barrels
06-03-16, 08:21 PM
crowd of 8,313. not too bad given conditions but i would've expected more for first round

Tamwelg
06-03-16, 08:25 PM
That was pleasing to watch. Great team performance.

As mentioned by other Douglas to come in (for Pulu?) and Nene (for Davis?)

TITAN PETE
06-03-16, 08:41 PM
Great wn tonight on the back of a forward pack that was hungry & aggressive , I old go as far as saying probably Birds best performance for the club, Passi looks to be building into a great front rower & Big Zeb really surprised me he has a huge motor & looked like he would play anoth 80 if needed, great kicking game from both 6 & 7,

Great way to kick the year off

Smakked
06-03-16, 08:50 PM
Alot to be impressed\happy about that game, they actually were smiling on the field which i have not seen in a log time. Great Win, halves pairing looking good considering they have only been together for not long at all.

DavidBouveng
06-03-16, 08:56 PM
yeah pretty solid across the field. as TP said, the guys nlooked like they were hitting blokes in numbers and were committed to working together as a forward pack.

Shillo must play the ball twice as quick as myles i reckon. He was good in first game.

in a team of good efforts, ill say bird, Paasi and the two half's went best, and a special mention to Mead who shouldnt wear the number 5 again.

Bring in Nene for Davis, who would have got alot from tonight and will go away and work on stuff till he is needed again.

Bring in Dougie for Pulu, who as Titanic mentioned ove ran his first two, but when Pauli Pauli smashed him late ( like he did on Soward last year - he has form as a late shot merchant ), he retuned fire, hit him hard, legal and knocked the ball out. thats a great effort from a rookie. He will see more time when injury inevitably occurs.

and If we dislike Zill... what must knights fans think of Uate...ohmigod

karnage
06-03-16, 08:59 PM
I agree with you re Greg Bird, Pete. I have absolutely no rap for that guy as everybody knows but he really played hard tonight.

We were so much fun to watch. Paasi may end up among my favourite ever Titans players - he is a genuine leader.

I loved the look of Olive, he looks a very likely type but I thought Davis had a long way to go especially in defence.

The kicking game has been mentioned but I can't speak highly enough of the defensive effort Taylor put in, he's got a really strong frame. And well done to Tyrone Roberts, he's going to have his fair share of shocking games this year but he was good tonight and plays with real speed. Fun to watch. Especially playing against Hodkinson who has to be the second most overpaid dud in the whole comp (behind Nate Myles!!).

There is a real positive vibe about the side. We should not kid ourselves that we are title contenders based on that but we should feel pleased to have a team to support that is well coached, plays hard and is entertaining.

DavidBouveng
06-03-16, 09:04 PM
my oath Karnage, this is a team id come and watch every week. there is a great team spirit surrounding them. so many guys giving it there all trying to make the most of the chance at titans, and they are all so happy for each when they do well.

and we have dougie and nene coming back, as well as Friend playing longer minutes normally and Paasi also got held off and would play more time if it were a closer game i think.

we have a squad that we can br proud of and watch develop.

karnage
06-03-16, 09:19 PM
my oath Karnage, this is a team id come and watch every week. there is a great team spirit surrounding them. so many guys giving it there all trying to make the most of the chance at titans, and they are all so happy for each when they do well.

and we have dougie and nene coming back, as well as Friend playing longer minutes normally and Paasi also got held off and would play more time if it were a closer game i think.

we have a squad that we can br proud of and watch develop.

I like the way you say 'watch develop'. They are not in the hunt this year but the nucleus of this team can lead future sides deep into September.

Mexican titan
06-03-16, 09:32 PM
Great wn tonight on the back of a forward pack that was hungry & aggressive , I old go as far as saying probably Birds best performance for the club, Passi looks to be building into a great front rower & Big Zeb really surprised me he has a huge motor & looked like he would play anoth 80 if needed, great kicking game from both 6 & 7,

Great way to kick the year off

About sums up what I reckon. I thought Paasi would get man of the match but when I saw Fox giving it to Bird I was happy with that. I was probably just rapt in Paasi's incredible development since last year. I was always supportive of Roberts coming here and I think he played a role today that allowed Ash t to settle in to the game, which he did and had more influence as the game went on. Couldn't really think of a bad player to be honest and although I think Newcastle will be in the last couple you can only beat what is in front of you. Really solid overall team performance.
Of course like others I will be at a loss if Zilly gets straight back. A bloke that hasn't played since round 10 last year should be coming back through QCup but it's all been said before.

Barrels
06-03-16, 09:45 PM
just saw the press conference and some news regarding our future.

1. Friendy isn't injured (as i had thought) but he copped a knock to the head and didn't return to the second half as a result of this.

2. Zillman is likely to return next week and most likely in the FB role. When asked about Mead at FB henry avoided the question about leaving Meady at FB but surely after tonight he has to give him a run.

3. Pettybourne has copped a knock and is unsure for next week.

If i personally had to pick a team for next week (and i am Assuming Zillman is in the squad and Pettybourne is rested)

1. Mead
2. Don
3. Hoffman
4. Zillman
5. Nene
6. Roberts
7. Taylor
8. Shillo
9. Friend
10. Douglas
11. james
12. mcQueen
13. Bird
14. Paasi
15. Taia
16. maybe Burr/Lynch or someone else who can fill Pettybournes void
17. Mortimer

karnage
06-03-16, 09:47 PM
Zillman can't be selected. He sucks.

Toads
06-03-16, 09:51 PM
Definitely a refreshing change, probably one of the most enjoyable games I've seen in recent years. Good to see more 'stand outs' than usual, even sensed a bit of unity within the team, it seems the pre-season has been good to us. Also, if Tyrone keeps tonight's performance up he'll be having me eating humble pie pretty soon, he done alright tonight.

Congratulations to all that made it to the game, the numbers may not be the best. But still quite encouraging considering the strife we've been dragged through in the last year or so. Nothing but positives come out of this home game (imo). :)

Barrels
06-03-16, 09:51 PM
Zillman can't be selected. He sucks.

I agree 100% but for some reason Henry seems pretty keen on selecting him. If he's fit, Henry will probably have him in the squad. it's frustrating, but i think it is just something we will have to deal with

DavidBouveng
06-03-16, 09:53 PM
yea the good thing about Ash and Tyrone is that they played solid and within themselves, focusing on serving the forwards and outside backs and kicking well. alot like Lg did on debut last year, then as confidence built, he went bananas.

you guys are gonna freak when you see Ash make a break. not many will catch him. he has serious wheels, but looks like he is gliding on the turf.

and yeah Karnage, imagine watching Paasi develop into our Burgess / Mautlino / Bromwich over next couple of years. he is rapidly becoming the most important guy to sign after Lg before someone tries to poach him. he has tongues wagging the league over with his eye catching displays in the 9s and this game, as well as the last few rounds of last year.

throw in Nene who i think will be a top centre in the game, Ash, LG, GL, Pulu, Peteru, James, tyrone even though he has played 100 games at 24... and there is TONNES to be excited about watching in this team over next period as long as they remain well coached and hungry.

Nols of the Goldy
06-03-16, 10:22 PM
Lots to look forward to after tonight. Passi was great and I hope we sign him up on a better deal before someone else poaches him. Ash and Tyrone seemed to be jelling well and like others have mentioned, it was the first time in a long time that I saw the players really enjoying the game and each other. On another note I saw James Roberts walking over from the station to the game. Some of the fans made him aware what they thought of him. :laugh:

Barrels
06-03-16, 10:24 PM
Lots to look forward to after tonight. Passi was great and I hope we sign him up on a better deal before someone else poaches him. Ash and Tyrone seemed to be jelling well and like others have mentioned, it was the first time in a long time that I saw the players really enjoying the game and each other. On another note I saw James Roberts walking over from the station to the game. Some of the fans made him aware what they thought of him. :laugh:

as unhappy as i am he left, it is sorta our fault so we shouldn't be too hard on him but either way its interesting that he came and watched us.

DavidBouveng
06-03-16, 10:56 PM
he has about 4 members of extended family playing for our 20s and first grade teams, and maybe lives down here so thought he would take it in.

it doesn't really bother me - i don't think his brain is as sharp as his footwork and his advisor's led him down a different path.

PinkGuy
06-03-16, 11:29 PM
As long as he's got more speed than Oxford Street he'll be right. Better stay off that float too.

DavidBouveng
06-03-16, 11:34 PM
As long as he's got more speed than Oxford Street he'll be right. Better stay off that float too.

maybe thats why he was stopping by his old team mates. sunday night drop off

DIEHARD
07-03-16, 12:56 AM
Really happy with tonight's performance. It felt like old times with the fans getting to cheer and cheer and cheer.

I can't see how Zillman comes back into the team.

We have sent a signal that we won't be without a fight in 2016. And it is actually our 4th home win in a row.

We did well in the rain. But damn I got saturated after the game. But the win kept me warm. Some good work from the young halves, Paasi continuing on from the Nines, Mead aquiited himself well and Don, well done. Congratulations to Olive for scoring on debut.

DIEHARD
07-03-16, 12:58 AM
MATCH HIGHLIGHTS v Knights
<script height="349px" width="620px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=fd5fc71d2bcc4b60a622cf8d3348d605&ec=5jYzNvMTE6ijNwgMWcOzWGQF2e0Ck_Nh"></script>

DIEHARD
07-03-16, 12:59 AM
POST-MATCH MEDIA CONFERENCE
<script height="349px" width="620px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=fd5fc71d2bcc4b60a622cf8d3348d605&ec=lscDNvMTE6wkwOPQVA3f_D-dSMCaTP56"></script>

shamus
07-03-16, 07:14 AM
I wish they would throw sub titles up for the questions coz I hear the answers and have to guess the question..

ozynorts
07-03-16, 07:26 AM
There were some good signs there. Bird rediscovered his passing game and we score 2 tries on his side.... The effort was great and the work rate of the team was very good.
There were a few concerns defensively though. Once again our right side defence looked shaky and let in a couple of poor tries but I hope that will be fixed with more time playing as a group.
Mead was very good but tends to carry the ball tucked under one arm so limits his options when carrying it back. He is still a thousand times better than Zillman.

gotitans101_
07-03-16, 07:54 AM
Funny thing is, every one of our new signings which I heavily criticised played well last night. I would love nothing more than to see them maintain that sort of form but if previous years have taught me anything it's not to get too carried away after one win, especially against a likely bottom 8 side.

Bring on the Storm.

Boonarga
07-03-16, 09:41 AM
I often see some of you guys posting suggested teams that leave out Anthony Don.
This guy is severely underrated. The teams lists every week should start with ...
1. David Mead
2. Anthony Don

Titanic Believer
07-03-16, 10:33 AM
Great effort guys and good result. I also can't believe suggestions Don not in team. His fortuitous kick catch from Mortimer still required elusiveness to score. I look forward to the young outside backs improving but slowly does it. Let's see them carving it up in Q Cup before they are considered regulars in the top team. Bring on the Storm. That will be a real measure of where we are at and where we need to go.

Surfers66
07-03-16, 12:12 PM
Shillington a massive upgrade on Nate Myles
Taia/McQueen a massive upgrade on Dave Taylor
Friendy a massive upgrade on Beau Falloon

Sezer a big loss but Roberts will fill the void and hoping for a great season from the halfs.

Great start.

TitanSam
07-03-16, 12:58 PM
My five points although everyone has pretty much summed it all up

1. Mead has to be Fullback. We look so dangerous every time he touched the ball. Zilly offers nothing. Absolutely nothing from the back and doesn't deserve a spot. Zilly is a detrement (that's a word right?) to the side.

2. Our forwards looked great. Shillo was bending the line, Zeb was dangerous, McQueen solid as always, Birdy was one of our best, Vaha provided some aggression and looked strong, and Paasi what more can I say? Just unreal.

3. I don't think we need to buy another centre. It's great to know we have Nene coming back and Davis and Olive impressed me so much last night. Olive had solid carries, and a couple times Gagai slipped through the defence but on both occasions Olive mowed him down and forced a turnover. Davis looked good but needs to work on agility, pretty good defensively.

4. Tyrone + Ash are looking very good, easily dominated Hodkinson and Mullen who were non-existent last night. Those bombs were awesome.

5. Don is the most underrated winger in the NRL. Morts shouldn't be allowed to run the ball or kick.

indoallstars
07-03-16, 02:14 PM
Agree with all the above.

It will be interesting to see how they will figure out the 17 when Peteru and Douglas come back, just imaging Douglas, Paasi and Shillington bringing that ball up. How they balance who starts I do not know.

I am still adamant I don't want Mortimer in the team, I want to see Cullen given a shot in that utility position or even Greg Bird.

When Nathan Friend was on the field he was shooting up and stopping Newcastles attack, he really held the middle in defence. Where Mortimer is just a liability on the field and was lucky with half his attacking plays, a few of them could have easily resulted in an intercept try against a better team.

Overall very happy with the effort put in, including the early enthusiasm and I noticed a lot more communication during the game which you don't generally see from the Titans. Ash Taylor was directing and putting people in their place, this is what we have needed for quite some time.

Surfers66
07-03-16, 03:01 PM
If Friend can play 80, I would go 4 forwards on the bench.......

patskE
07-03-16, 03:37 PM

did he get injured? never saw him on the field after the 25 minute mark or so. I made a comment before but havnt seen anything about it. I thought morts had a decent game, his quickness out of dummy half compared to friend very noticeable. I love friends defence but he lacks that zip we need in attack.

Manzo
07-03-16, 04:19 PM
yeah he had a head knock---- birdy was great, ash is improving (put on a few kg), want to see tyrone take on the line more
bu good performance

Manzo
07-03-16, 04:48 PM
hoffy also passed :) hopefully he learns to do that a little more even though uatai knocked it down

Geeman
07-03-16, 04:50 PM
I will probably get put in my place for saying this, but I don't think Mortimer was as bad as some are saying. Sure, he's not starting hooker material, but as a utility he did the job. I also think the new jersey looked quite good.
All in all, a good effort by the whole team, and I am looking forward to seeing if they can put in that sort of effort every week.

Manzo
07-03-16, 04:53 PM
agree- his kicks were crap but otherwise was ok

kioli
07-03-16, 05:05 PM
Very nice way to start the season, new guys looked good.

I forgot how much I had missed footy (even with the rain drenching everyone on the way out!).

Show and Go
07-03-16, 05:07 PM

I don't think we need 4 forwards on the bench. We have so many that are capable of big minutes as it is. Once we get Moseley back he will really make an impact off the bench I think.

shamus
07-03-16, 05:26 PM
hoffy also passed :) hopefully he learns to do that a little more even though uatai knocked it down

Ironically, if he had dummied he would have scored.

karnage
07-03-16, 07:40 PM

He can't.

Barrels
07-03-16, 07:56 PM
id give cullen the utility position. just as a try out though. I think he could be alright at it and lessen the pressure on Taylor and Roberts

toddythetitan
07-03-16, 10:48 PM
Agree with all the above.

It will be interesting to see how they will figure out the 17 when Peteru and Douglas come back, just imaging Douglas, Paasi and Shillington bringing that ball up. How they balance who starts I do not know.

I am still adamant I don't want Mortimer in the team, I want to see Cullen given a shot in that utility position or even Greg Bird.

When Nathan Friend was on the field he was shooting up and stopping Newcastles attack, he really held the middle in defence. Where Mortimer is just a liability on the field and was lucky with half his attacking plays, a few of them could have easily resulted in an intercept try against a better team.

Overall very happy with the effort put in, including the early enthusiasm and I noticed a lot more communication during the game which you don't generally see from the Titans. Ash Taylor was directing and putting people in their place, this is what we have needed for quite some time.
So you would start the man of the match on the bench as a utility?