PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Spooners ?

TITAN PETE
31-07-15, 09:48 PM
After the Tigers toweling the Storm tonight we will have certainly firmed into a short priced favorite to claim the spoon again & that's not what this club wants or needs , the next few rounds will show if any of the players have put the cue in the rack for the rest of the season apart from Myles because his efforts have been obvious of late

gotitans101_
31-07-15, 10:25 PM
either us or the Knights. Pretty sad considering this was our so called 'rebuilding' year.

Titanic
31-07-15, 11:53 PM
What I don't get is how pundits are constantly saying we need to feel the pain before it gets better ... WTF have the last 4 years been about then?

DIEHARD
04-08-15, 06:44 PM
Our win against the Eels was critical. I reckon Knights. Based on for and against and games coming up.

Smakked
05-08-15, 08:35 AM
I still think the spoon will be ours

Titanic
05-08-15, 10:30 AM
I still think the spoon will be ours
Me too but mathematically. ......

karnage
05-08-15, 11:55 AM
The Knights are a hot mess right now. I'd be very surprised if they won another game - they just conceded 40 to the offensively anemic Dragons!!

We will win one more before the season is out. Don't be surprised if we win in the last round with JT, Morgan, Matt Scott, Tupou and Granville all rested before a qualifying final. (Here's hoping!!)

shamus
25-08-15, 10:02 AM
We beat Dragons we don't get the spoon.

NSW Titan
25-08-15, 10:10 AM
Unless tigers win their last 2 games and Newcastle win one more

Titanic
25-08-15, 11:01 AM
Newcastle don't need to do anything unless we win at least one more which is unlikely ... it's all in the hands of the Tigers now, imho.

Titanic Believer
25-08-15, 04:41 PM
Wonderful having something to put interest into the final games of the year. it's the reason we beat the Raiders, they didn't have anything to play for.....tongue firmly in cheek!

shamus
25-08-15, 06:14 PM
Unless tigers win their last 2 games and Newcastle win one more

Panthers are still a chance as well

DavidBouveng
25-08-15, 07:21 PM
regardless of where we finish, would most people agree we are quite a bit better than last year?

winning 8 games for the spoons shows how good this comp is. In the super rugby and AFL, the bottom team usually wins 2 or 3 max, and there is often a second team only slightly above that.

we might get the spoon, but we also are only 2 wins behind teams who were fighting for finals up until last weekend. small consolation, and the spoon will sting, but my point is more that ladder position doesn't tell the full story of the year sometimes.

Mexican titan
25-08-15, 07:36 PM
regardless of where we finish, would most people agree we are quite a bit better than last year?

winning 8 games for the spoons shows how good this comp is. In the super rugby and AFL, the bottom team usually wins 2 or 3 max, and there is often a second team only slightly above that.

we might get the spoon, but we also are only 2 wins behind teams who were fighting for finals up until last weekend. small consolation, and the spoon will sting, but my point is more that ladder position doesn't tell the full story of the year sometimes.

I would agree that we are much better to watch this year than last. Defence is still a problem but we are much better to watch in attack. I know all sides cop injuries but I think I read that LG and Sezer have played together 7 times this year and we won 4 of those ( I might stand corrected but I think that's right). If you keep winning 4 in every 7 you play finals footy.
Missing DCE and losing Sezer, I hope doesn't set us back as it's essential we improve quickly and hopefully make the finals next year. Oh for some hard running hard hitting forwards.

mup23
25-08-15, 08:19 PM
Elgey is our shining light and will make everything OK. We're 8-7 with him compared to 0-7 without him. Spoon or not (I think we're safe) our future on and off the field is better than it has been for a long time

DavidBouveng
26-08-15, 06:52 AM
I would agree that we are much better to watch this year than last. Defence is still a problem but we are much better to watch in attack. I know all sides cop injuries but I think I read that LG and Sezer have played together 7 times this year and we won 4 of those ( I might stand corrected but I think that's right). If you keep winning 4 in every 7 you play finals footy.
Missing DCE and losing Sezer, I hope doesn't set us back as it's essential we improve quickly and hopefully make the finals next year. Oh for some hard running hard hitting forwards.

agree 100% and ive said a few times on here. LG and SEzer play the season and we make the 8. defense would still be an issue, and we would still need a few forwards, but those two would have found a way to beat enough of the mid -low teams to get us in.

JunctionBlock
26-08-15, 07:50 AM
agree 100% and ive said a few times on here. LG and SEzer play the season and we make the 8. defense would still be an issue, and we would still need a few forwards, but those two would have found a way to beat enough of the mid -low teams to get us in.

I think cause we have a vested interest in the team that we see things worse than what they are. You look at the last couple of games for the Cowboys and their defense has been terrible at the start of the game but they are able to turn their lack of defense into possession and attack.

We can keep saying the same things year in and year out but it always comes down injuries for us and we don't have a lot of rep players who play a longer, harder year as opposed to other teams. Perhaps replacing Myles mate, Ferris should become a priority to sign an accomplished conditioning and recovery coach.

The questions remain, How much depth can we afford? How much do we need? What depth does our coach want to use cause this year he has had some players in our top 25 that he won't use over others that WE feel aren't up to standard.

Anyway, yes I think we are playing better footy than last year by a mile. It's a harder comp this year and we are experiencing the remains of a dead dynasty. Will next year be much different? The team on paper would indicate no. But if a few of the behind the scenes problems are resolved then it should flow through.

DIEHARD
26-08-15, 11:46 AM
I was really counting on the Storm to obliterate the Knights. That didn't go to plan...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/spoon_zpsogyunxpx.jpg

gotitans101_
31-08-15, 08:41 PM
yay we avoided the spoon

Mexican titan
31-08-15, 09:00 PM
yay we avoided the spoon

It was funny driving home from the game yesterday and the kids were going through what needed to happen for us to avoid the spoon. To them avoiding the spoon was like making the 8 such was the excitement. We have had too many of these conversations in the last few years. Let's hope next year we are talking about possible finals opponents.

DavidBouveng
31-08-15, 09:02 PM
anyone think that if LG didnt make a late entry to raiders game and play against saints that we would still be short priced to win it?

GCTTSD
31-08-15, 09:28 PM
Dont forget if elgey and/or sezer didnt get injured we would probably be in the 8 considering how close we are already

DavidBouveng
31-08-15, 11:16 PM
Dont forget if elgey and/or sezer didnt get injured we would probably be in the 8 considering how close we are already

no question. if they play 20 games each we are there. which says as much about the comp as it does us. seriously, as well as we have played some times...there was some rubbish in there, and that cant deserve finals. Id rather miss, let the pain sting a little longer and really make a charge at it.

DIEHARD
01-09-15, 02:33 AM
After that great win on Sunday, we look to be safe from the dreaded spoon. Thank god! Well done team!

Titanic
01-09-15, 10:39 AM
After the fantastic example of all things rugby league aka Penriff Panfers choked on their lollies, we do not have to even contemplate the dreaded and much-discussed 'spoon ... congratulations, the worst we can finish is 15th - what a remarkable result ... not :)

DavidBouveng
01-09-15, 07:26 PM
After the fantastic example of all things rugby league aka Penriff Panfers choked on their lollies, we do not have to even contemplate the dreaded and much-discussed 'spoon ... congratulations, the worst we can finish is 15th - what a remarkable result ... not :)

and the best we can finish is equal 9th :thumbsup:

our odds have come in from $6.50 to an outrageous $3.25 to beat cowboys. they might as well call us favourites.

and the best thing for us is the LG - in, Myles - out situation. that works in our favour massively.

if we can find out that Manly and Dragons have rorted the cap before next sunday we might even get to play finals...

Titanic
01-09-15, 07:38 PM
I have to say that Elgey has awakened my interest in rugby league. He's the type of player that you always wished was in your team and not with the opposition. He's surprisingly hardy for a little bloke and will attract large numbers of fans once they work out what he can do. If the Taylor lad is half of Elgey then we have players to build a team around.

My one really big hope for the game against the Cows is that when one of their guys hits Elgey even slightly late then 12 others of ours square it up instantly and hang the consequences.

DavidBouveng
01-09-15, 07:57 PM
I have to say that Elgey has awakened my interest in rugby league. He's the type of player that you always wished was in your team and not with the opposition. He's surprisingly hardy for a little bloke and will attract large numbers of fans once they work out what he can do. If the Taylor lad is half of Elgey then we have players to build a team around.

My one really big hope for the game against the Cows is that when one of their guys hits Elgey even slightly late then 12 others of ours square it up instantly and hang the consequences.

preferably one of the 15 not with us next year! get suspended for 8 weeks and serve it in super league, if they even uphold NRL bans.

but yeah mate. LG has old school class and and for every flash highlight or fancy pass, there is a subtle touch here or there to really engage the purists and show is the real deal

teke
01-09-15, 09:14 PM
and the best we can finish is equal 9th :thumbsup:

our odds have come in from $6.50 to an outrageous $3.25 to beat cowboys. they might as well call us favourites.

and the best thing for us is the LG - in, Myles - out situation. that works in our favour massively.

if we can find out that Manly and Dragons have rorted the cap before next sunday we might even get to play finals...lololol

Titanic
02-09-15, 01:41 PM
if we can find out that Manly and Dragons have rorted the cap before next sunday we might even get to play finals...Both rorted their fans last weekend.

Surfers66
03-09-15, 02:43 PM
Are there any stats people out there?

I want to know a NRL ladder based on the numbers of players used for this season.

Be interested too see if it basically the same.