PDA

View Full Version : Tallis renews calls to shift Lockyer

Super Cronk
08-03-06, 10:25 PM
foxsports.com.au

FORMER Brisbane captain Gorden Tallis has renewed calls for the Broncos to return Darren Lockyer to fullback ahead of the club's NRL season-opener against North Queensland this weekend.

Tallis said the extra demands placed on Lockyer in defence at five-eighth would erode his attacking ability.

"He's too good to be doing 30 tackles," Tallis told Channel Ten.

"You don't have a Darren Lockyer in your side to do 30 tackles.

"He can still play the same brand of football; they just have to change the number on his back."

Lockyer missed most of the Broncos' pre-season build-up following foot surgery but will lead the club at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday.

His return, as well as that of halfback Brett Seymour, has allowed veteran coach Wayne Bennett to move Karmichael Hunt back to fullback after playing him at No.7 during the trials.

Bennett is expected to officially scratch lock Tonie Carroll from the side tomorrow, with Brad Thorn set to earn an early reprieve.

Thorn was dropped to Brisbane's feeder-club side Toowoomba on Monday, but he may now play for the Broncos after Carroll broke down with a hamstring injury this week.

Carroll has a long history of making miraculous recoveries, but his hamstring is unlikely to be 100 per cent by the weekend.

Dakink
09-03-06, 09:45 AM
Damn in one day I have agreed with QLd'er and now Tallis - I must need my head read!

DeeGan
09-03-06, 05:04 PM
Darren Lockyer's best position is fullback - no question. He moved as it was deemed necessary for the team by Bennett.

As a five-eight his attacking genius is blunted by the workload in defence and I would prefer him playing in the number 1 for Queensland and Australia in particular. Minichello to the wing.