PDA

View Full Version : Prince braced for fans' reaction

Cliffy GC
08-03-06, 08:28 AM
www.foxsports.com.au
Prince braced for fans' reaction
By Brent Read
March 8, 2006

WESTS Tigers halfback Scott Prince has spoken of his relief at having his future resolved and his fears that fans could turn on him if his form dips during the season.

Prince described how he felt a massive weight had been lifted from his shoulders following his decision to join Gold Coast next season on a lucrative four-year contract.

The former Tigers captain could not contain his excitment at what lay ahead.

"I feel good. My mind is clear," he said.

"I feel 20 kilos lighter with all this weight off my shoulders.

"I'm excited because we're going into this year defending a premiership and also, with my future sorted out, I know what's ahead.

"I don't have to worry about that. I want to leave here on a high."

Prince and coach Tim Sheens also allayed any concerns their relationship may have been affected by the ongoing Gold Coast saga, which came to a close last Friday when Prince decided to join the Titans.

The pair decided immediately Prince would step down from the captaincy. Brett Hodgson was announced as his successor on Monday.

Advertisement:
However, Sheens made it clear he would continue to use his chief playmaker as a sounding board.
"It won't change Scott's game," Sheens said.

"He understands without a long-term commitment to a group it's hard to lead them.

"I speak to him the same way I did last year. I ask him his position on something the same way I talk to Benji (Marshall) and Hodgo and the nine (hooker Robbie Farah).

"If I make a decision it will involve those four players as well. I won't change my attitude to Scott one bit."

Prince is, however, expecting his relationship to change with the fans.

The reaction to his decision to leave the club for the Titans has been met with mixed response.

There are those who accuse him of disloyalty and those who believe he had every right to test himself on the open market.

He's bracing for an adverse reaction should he struggle with his form at any point during the year.

"I think if my form drops, a lot of people might speculate and start talking about my head (being) already gone," Prince said.

"I won't be listening to that. I want to go out and play good, consistent football.

"Everyone has their down points in the season. I am going to try to play my best every week. That's my personal goal."

The Australian

I think he'll be right they might come up with some comments the first few home games, but if the tigers are winning because of him fans forget fast. I remember midway through manlys 13 game winning streak in 1987 ronnie gibbs signed funnily enough with the Gold Coast as well, i remember seeing a sign on the hill saying "give back Igors (terry randalls) jersey" the bitterness lasted one match as he played a major role in our premiership win in 87.

Eel 33
08-03-06, 10:49 AM
Lets see what happens friday night. There will be some who cant help themselves.

Super Cronk
08-03-06, 10:54 AM
Yeh there will be some who cant help themselves. But just aslong as it doesnt go any further then boo'ing.

Queenslander
08-03-06, 12:18 PM
99% of the crowd will control themselves but there will be a few there to stir the pot.