PDA

View Full Version : Where to from here: The halves conundrum

Pages : [1] 2

Hail Sezer
03-06-15, 12:26 PM
Alright guys, time to move on. DCE backflipping seems imminent with an announcement in half an hour to confirm it.

Let's look forward. We've got a young gun half in LG on the left and need someone to partner him. We've also got 1.2 mil spare.

Currently, we have:
Karl Lawton
Daniel Mortimer

as contracted halves for 2016 (excluding Kane). I think we can all agree that Morts doesn't fit the bill and Lawto is untested and IMO is a hooker.

That brings us the open market. Off contract options are:
Blake Ayshford, Justin Hunt, Kris Keating, Luke Kelly, Samisoni Langi, Jack Littlejohn, James Maloney, Te Maire Martin, Shaun Nona, Manaia Rudolph, Will Smith, Kyle Stanley, Ray Thompson, Chad Townsend
Mitchell Cornish, Shannon Crook, Adrian Davis, Zach Dockar-Clay, Jamal Fogarty, Christian Hazard, Beau Henry, Trent Hodkinson, Isaac John, Mason Lino, Robert Lui, Penani Manumalealii, Todd Murphy, Jayden Nikorima, Jeff Robson, Chris Sandow, Zach Strasser

Of the above, I would be happy with:
Shaun Nona - has aced everything below NRL and the best half in Qcup. Young and from Qld.
Te Maire Martin - best attacking half in u20's, however lacks size required for NRL at this stage and an inexperienced pairing wouldn't be great.
Trent Hodkinson - Wouldn't pay this bloke anything more than 400k based on form - reputation however may inflate his value. Decent goalkicker and strong defender.
Jayden Nikorima - Utility value and X-factor. Again, question is whether he could handle NRL and that makes me highly cautious.
James Maloney - Handy player buuuut highly unlikely to leave chooks.

All have their ups and downs and if I got to choose one, it would honestly be Nona.

Do we have options that are currently contracted elsewhere? Perhaps:
Ashley Taylor
Moses Mbye

I know the above 2 options are popular amongst forum members and I tend to agree. Mbye in particular. The complication here of course is whether they will be granted a release.

So that's the current environment regarding the vacant spot. Thoughts and feelings? Who would you guys like to see?

Yankee Doodle Titan
03-06-15, 12:43 PM
I vote for Will Smith. He'd definitely raise our profile! What? Oh, it's not THAT Will Smith? Okay then, I say Hodkinson, 'cause I think we could get him for under $400k, he has name recognition (although a bit infamous amongst Queenslanders) and I suspect he'd be hungry to prove he wasn't a flash in the pan with last season's performance.

Hail Sezer
03-06-15, 12:55 PM
You forgot Chrissy Sandow!

He's there

in the off contract

without being bolded

like he should be

Titan4Life
03-06-15, 12:59 PM
Good write up HS. DCE was the perfect buy for our club but nothing in the world is perfect so my options (no particular order):

•James Maloney - great goal kicker and also a good in game kicker. Only problem is he is the leagues worst defender in terms of missed tackles

•Moses Mbye - Queensland born kid with a load of potential to be a star one day. Massive x factor. Only problem is I can't see Hasler letting him go.

•Corey Norman - not a fantastic star player but is experienced which Elgey might need alongside him. Can control a game pretty well as shown in recent weeks.

•Ashley Taylor - another young Queenslander with a lot of potential. Similar to Mbye, not sure Bennett will let him go.

Yankee Doodle Titan
03-06-15, 01:34 PM
No to Maloney, he's a grub (remember those weird shoe stealing incidents?). If we could somehow ensure his head gets straightened out and he plays with some consistency, I actually think Sandow would be a good, cheap(-ish) signing.

Boonarga
03-06-15, 01:37 PM
I like the way Christian Hazard plays.

karnage
03-06-15, 02:06 PM
I honestly don't care.

Hail Sezer
03-06-15, 02:10 PM
I honestly don't care.

You care enough to reply to the thread.

10/10 response karnage

indoallstars
03-06-15, 02:19 PM
Before I get caught up in the how I am going to use the rest of this day to destroy "the backfliping grub" DCE's life.

I would go for Corey Norman, agree he doesn't set the world on fire but he grew up on the Coast, can organise a team (to an extent), seems to be popular with team mates, a bit older and has the ability to play fullback as well.

I would also target Moses Mbye just a star player in the making who is still young, I feel if we get Corey and Moses we can shift Corey to fullback or Moses to 9.

Would also target Dale Copley, definitely a future origin player, team would be great with him.

Also target BJ Leilua before Canberra poach him, think we could benefit from his size on the edges and his aggression.

Re-sign Paul Carter, because he is an aggressive tackling machine.

Sign some up and coming junior forwards

karnage
03-06-15, 02:22 PM
You care enough to reply to the thread.

10/10 response karnage

No. I honestly don't care. I highly doubt I will be a member next year and given I probably can't make the next home game v the Warriors I doubt I'll bother going to any of the other home games. Year after year I stump up hard earned money to support a team that is unable to bring me anything but mismanagement, ineptitude and frustration.

The NRL is a joke and next season our team is going to be an absolute trash fire. Right now we have one front rower (Douglas), one decent backrower (James - Taylor sucks and Bird is a grub), one promising rookie half who is no guarantee to ever be anything better than say Luke Brooks or Jarrod Mullen (Elgey), one unsigned(!!) centre (Roberts) and a fullback (Hoffman).

Every other single player would not make the run on team in a top 8 side. No decent free agent will come here because they know they will be playing on a losing side. I'm glad I enjoyed our 3 wins in a row, because we won't be winning ANYTHING for years to come. Our 2015 squad is going to so much worse than the second worst squad that it is not funny.

indoallstars
03-06-15, 02:26 PM
Before I get caught up in the how I am going to use the rest of this day to destroy "the backfliping grub" DCE's life.

I would go for Corey Norman, agree he doesn't set the world on fire but he grew up on the Coast, can organise a team (to an extent), seems to be popular with team mates, a bit older and has the ability to play fullback as well.

I would also target Moses Mbye just a star player in the making who is still young, I feel if we get Corey and Moses we can shift Corey to fullback or Moses to 9.

Would also target Dale Copley, definitely a future origin player, team would be great with him.

Also target BJ Leilua before Canberra poach him, think we could benefit from his size on the edges and his aggression.

Re-sign Paul Carter, because he is an aggressive tackling machine.

Sign some up and coming junior forwards

Obviously re-sign James Roberts.

Pull a Panthers and build around a younger team with some experience in there as well and let them work for each other, will be the ones everyone writes off but its nothing we are not used too already. Who knows this could be a blessing in disguise, up the mighty TITANS!

Hail Sezer
03-06-15, 02:28 PM
No. I honestly don't care. I highly doubt I will be a member next year and given I probably can't make the next home game v the Warriors I doubt I'll bother going to any of the other home games. Year after year I stump up hard earned money to support a team that is unable to bring me anything but mismanagement, ineptitude and frustration.

The NRL is a joke and next season our team is going to be an absolute trash fire. Right now we have one front rower (Douglas), one decent backrower (James - Taylor sucks and Bird is a grub), one promising rookie half who is no guarantee to ever be anything better than say Luke Brooks or Jarrod Mullen (Elgey), one unsigned(!!) centre (Roberts) and a fullback (Hoffman).

Every other single player would not make the run on team in a top 8 side. No decent free agent will come here because they know they will be playing on a losing side. I'm glad I enjoyed our 3 wins in a row, because we won't be winning ANYTHING for years to come. Our 2015 squad is going to so much worse than the second worst squad that it is not funny.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Karnage, although if you don't care about the content within a thread then the general approach is to simply not respond.

I respect your thoughts and always have - please respect mine by not raining on the thread for the sake of venting.

RenegadeGC
03-06-15, 02:33 PM

Dear Karnage

lol Didnt the Bunnies have a run of poor performances and average team for many a years. Yet still had the faithful behind them (even though a few are bandwagon bunnies) now they have one of the highest memberships and a premiership winning team. As I've said before Rome ain't built in a day and neither will the titans, have faith in our youngsters, but to bag LG to me shows that you either 1. Have no respect and hope for LG 2. You really do have your panties in a twist.

You seem like a passionate person, but have spilt milk and throwing toys. I suggest have listen to the song by Chris Brown 'these hoes aint loyal'.

#TitansFaithful #DoWork #TheseHoesAintLoyal

IpswichTitans
03-06-15, 02:35 PM
If i was in recruitment id be going hard after:

1. Moses Mbye (Under Contract in 2016, but some $$$ might bring him home. I love watching him play, he's a superstar. Can't see doggies letting him go though.)

2. Mitch Cornish (Another young Superstar in the making! Love to see him alongside LG)

3. Corey Norman (I Like Him)

Chris Sandow & Trent Hodkinson would be last resorts IMO. Brad Abbey might go alright.

4. Peter Mata'utia (Said it before and i'll say it again, I'm a very big fan of his. He adds some attacking strike out wide.

5. Copley / Kahu (Either One, if we cant manage Mata'utia)

6. Adam Docker / Michael Chee Kam / Alex Glenn / Sika Manu (Need some Big boys)

Just Some of My thoughts. It makes me happy that we now have some more $$$ to throw around!

karnage
03-06-15, 02:35 PM
Haha!! That's all fine - except for the Chris Brown reference!!

Mexican titan
03-06-15, 02:37 PM
Good write up HS. DCE was the perfect buy for our club but nothing in the world is perfect so my options (no particular order):

•James Maloney - great goal kicker and also a good in game kicker. Only problem is he is the leagues worst defender in terms of missed tackles

•Moses Mbye - Queensland born kid with a load of potential to be a star one day. Massive x factor. Only problem is I can't see Hasler letting him go.

•Corey Norman - not a fantastic star player but is experienced which Elgey might need alongside him. Can control a game pretty well as shown in recent weeks.

•Ashley Taylor - another young Queenslander with a lot of potential. Similar to Mbye, not sure Bennett will let him go.

Rather than repeat I pretty much agree with T4L. Main reason I want Maloney is that in addition to his kicking, I believe LG needs someone with a bit of experience around him.
Of course getting Keiran Forum to backflip wouldn't be a bad idea.
And Karnage - the next home game is against the Dogs. I share your disappointment mate but if we all took your approach there will soon be no NRL on the Coast. That is not what I want to see, so lets give the new coach (and soon new owners) time to get team they want and make a judgement then.

karnage
03-06-15, 02:41 PM
Rather than repeat I pretty much agree with T4L. Main reason I want Maloney is that in addition to his kicking, I believe LG needs someone with a bit of experience around him.
Of course getting Keiran Forum to backflip wouldn't be a bad idea.
And Karnage - the next home game is against the Dogs. I share your disappointment mate but if we all took your approach there will soon be no NRL on the Coast. That is not what I want to see, so lets give the new coach (and soon new owners) time to get team they want and make a judgement then.

That's exactly right mate, our very survival is on the line. A lot of the people who criticize my comments may not be putting up the money the way I am to support the team. I will continue to be critical because the people that run this club have to take some of the responsibility for the way this all played out.

The fact remains that next year the only NRL teams that play on the Gold Coast will be the opponent. We will be a QLD Cup team playing in the NRL.

- - - Updated - - -

Apologies to Hail Sezar - he asked me to stop taking his thread off topic, which is fair enough, so I'll say no more here.

RenegadeGC
03-06-15, 02:44 PM
That's exactly right mate, our very survival is on the line. A lot of the people who criticize my comments may not be putting up the money the way I am to support the team. I will continue to be critical because the people that run this club have to take some of the responsibility for the way this all played out.

The fact remains that next year the only NRL teams that play on the Gold Coast will be the opponent. We will be a QLD Cup team playing in the NRL.

- - - Updated - - -

Apologies to Hail Sezar - he asked me to stop taking his thread off topic, which is fair enough, so I'll say no more here.

lol don't apologies to HS, hes only scary cause hes a mod hahaha

IpswichTitans
03-06-15, 02:45 PM
I'm actually pretty excited to see where the club goes after the DCE saga. The only thing that bothers me about all of this is that he didn't announce it earlier, so we would have had some more time to look at our options.

Mexican titan
03-06-15, 02:48 PM

- - - Updated - - -

By replying I might be keeping this a little off topic but why is the club responsible for the way the DCE thing panned out? They had a signed contract but Manly and DCE played within the rules as they stood, and countered the offer. I don't like it one bit but we are mad if we are to think Manly were just going to throw their hands in the air and say, well he has gone. Their members were putting heaps of pressure on the new owner. The situation stinks but I am not sure what more the Titans could have done.

I have put my money on the line as a Titanium member since day 1 and will continue to do so as I have faith in the current coach and Board. I implore others, and you Karnage, to do the same.

lonegull
03-06-15, 03:06 PM
By replying I might be keeping this a little off topic but why is the club responsible for the way the DCE thing panned out? They had a signed contract but Manly and DCE played within the rules as they stood, and countered the offer. I don't like it one bit but we are mad if we are to think Manly were just going to throw their hands in the air and say, well he has gone. Their members were putting heaps of pressure on the new owner. The situation stinks but I am not sure what more the Titans could have done.

I have put my money on the line as a Titanium member since day 1 and will continue to do so as I have faith in the current coach and Board. I implore others, and you Karnage, to do the same.

Couldn't agree more, I will be continuing my support through my families membership this decision galvanises me more to be their for the titans, cant blame anyone from within the organisation their is only one person to blame and that's DCE himself

JunctionBlock
03-06-15, 03:31 PM
I'd go after Chad Townsend if he is still available. Then I'd go after DCE but in a different way.

gotitans101_
03-06-15, 04:04 PM

That's exactly the way I see it, good post mate.

- - - Updated - - -

So now our priority turns to another half, imo, all the off-contract ones are nothing special. We have Elgey but the problem is we don't have a good history of bringing up young talent, that is what worries me the most about him.

And then we need a couple of decent forwards. Forwards like Luke Douglas who actually play with their heart on their sleeve.

Titanic
03-06-15, 04:15 PM
Not Sandow, not Kelly but a stable NRL-level 5/8 that will let Elgey play 7 ... so who's that? Only Norman or Maloney ... I want a Queenslander who knows what it means to lead from the front and one of those choices actually has a combination with Hoffman, FFS plus he has something to prove to those Ponies up the highway.

K2G
03-06-15, 04:30 PM
My list (in order of preference):

1. Moses Mbye
2. Ashley Taylor
3. Corey Norman

My 'worst nightmare' signings (in order of most to least scary):

1. Chris Sandow
2. Trent Hodgkinson
3. James Maloney

Henry is a spineless pussycat who only cares about his personal win/loss tally and not the long-term future of the club if he doesn't

1. Strip the captaincy from Myles (give it to Douglas) and seek an immediate release for him, or atleast drop him to Qcup
2. Give Elgey some of the goal-kicking, and more of the general play kicking duties.
3. Blood Hazard and Fogarty over coming weeks to see what they can do at NRL level. Let Sezer come off the bench.

I'm also excited about the opportunities our DCEless future now holds - but the club needs to start thinking beyond 2015 finals footy.

Show and Go
03-06-15, 04:40 PM
There is a few options.

Firstly we chase Ashley Taylor, Jayden Nikorima and Moses Mbye. If we can't grab them we chase James Maloney to play beside Elgey for a few years while develop another young half.

- - - Updated - - -

1. Strip the captaincy from Myles (give it to Douglas) and seek an immediate release for him, or atleast drop him to Qcup

This should be happening ASAP.

MightyTitans
03-06-15, 04:57 PM
I say get either of the following- a kelly, carney, sandow. All right edge half. Forget about signing a left edge like hod, cornish, maloney etc

teke
03-06-15, 05:01 PM
All are good options, Titans need forwards !!!!!!!

3 or 4 of them.

Regardless of what some say there is good talent in this side of its around a brute pack

MightyTitans
03-06-15, 05:03 PM
Titans need to take a page out of panthers book, buy all the best juniors

Pallas
03-06-15, 05:38 PM
A replacement half is not even our most pressing concern, who do you think is going to be captain next year.....

TITAN PETE
03-06-15, 05:50 PM
A replacement half is not even our most pressing concern, who do you think is going to be captain next year.....

Ryan James

The plus side is all the good players off contract will know we have plenty of cash to spend

Hail Sezer
03-06-15, 05:51 PM
lol don't apologies to HS, hes only scary cause hes a mod hahaha

Haha please, you're my squire. So are you C2G with your cheeky little peasant thumbs up

Show and Go
03-06-15, 06:03 PM

Zillman is the obvious choice.

Seriously I think Luke Douglas is the man for the job.

Titan4Life
03-06-15, 06:08 PM
Daly Cherry-Evans backflip: Trent Hodkinson, James Maloney best halves options market
Dan Walsh FOX SPORTS
June 03, 2015 3:01PM

NEIL Henry and the Titans have copped one hell of a blindsiding by Daly Cherry-Evans backflip with a twist (because a straight backflip ends up with DCE still facing the same way).

With the whole ‘will he, won’t he’ saga dragging on for four months after Cherry-Evans initially committed to the Titans, a number of attractive playmaking/marquee options on the open market have since disappeared.

But King Henry knows his court needs an experienced playmaker, and said as much during the Titans presser on Wednesday following DCE’s announcement.

“There are a number of halfbacks who haven’t signed contracts … high profile ones,” Henry said.

“We probably need some experience in the halves, goalkicking would be an advantage.”

“We have made recruitment and retention decisions based on the personnel we thought we’d have in place next year. That’s now changed. We’ll reassess, we’ll regroup.”

A few minutes earlier Gold Coast CEO Graham Annesley declared the Titans won’t try and tempt departing five-eighth Aidan Sezer to go back on his deal to join Canberra next year.

“We’re not about to try to get anyone to renege on a deal that they’ve entered into — that would be double standards on our behalf,” Annesley said.

So while there is no player that measures up to either DCE’s calibre as a player or marquee potential, it’s off to market the Titans go in search of an experienced hand to partner promising tyro Kane Elgey.

TRENT HODKINSON

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2015/06/03/1227381/666618-c8c94a22-09b6-11e5-a3ac-5ee400cf9dbf.jpg

Hodkinson fits Henry’s bill to a tee. At 26, the NSW halfback is the same age as Cherry-Evans, though does have a worrying injury history that has been linked to a significant downturn in form this year.

The Dogs half has been negotiating a stay at Belmore for some time, and is understood to be close to agreeing to terms with the club. But with his old team Manly now out of the running for obvious reasons, the Titans could enter the race for his signature late.

While Hodkinson doesn’t offer the brilliance of Cherry-Evans and isn’t exactly the type of halfback you build a side around above all else, his standing as one of the game’s genuine good guys, pinpoint goalkicking and a steady playmaking hand are his obvious advantages.

JAMES MALONEY

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2015/06/03/1227381/666680-ec490da2-09b6-11e5-a3ac-5ee400cf9dbf.jpg

Another whose future will become clearer now the DCE drama has been put to bed, Maloney’s intentions are also to stay with his current club the Roosters. But if the Gold Coast are after a player who rivals Cherry-Evans all-round ability, Maloney is as close as they’ll get in the current market.

Maloney has proven himself one of the game’s better halves since arriving at Bondi in 2013, playing a major role in the Chooks premiership success that year and the fact they’ve stayed at the pointy end of the NRL ladder since.

Maloney’s only obvious weakness is his defence, which has seen him miss the most tackles (42) in the game this year. But otherwise his experience, playmaking ability and goal kicking make him an attractive option.

CHRIS SANDOW

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2015/06/03/1227381/666706-f5b8ac30-09b6-11e5-a3ac-5ee400cf9dbf.jpg

The wildcard in the bunch, and also one of the more likely replacements.

One of the most thrilling players in the game on his day, Sandow has been on the outer at Parramatta this year after knocking back a two-year extension in February, and now is all but out the door for 2016.

At the right club and in the right footballing structure, Sandow’s livewire, madcap approach to the game still has plenty to offer.

Whether the Titans are the right club, and whether Sandow has enough experience to guide a player like Elgey is another question. Another element is while Sandow has been on a $550K deal at Parramatta since 2012, his market value has dropped well below that now, and his services will cost far less than those of Cherry-Evans, Hodkinson or Maloney, allowing the Titans to recruit in other areas as well.

THE REST

Of the rest of the off contract playmakers, there is promise and potential aplenty.

Expect Todd Carney’s name to be thrown into the mix, but it’ll take a lot of smooth talking to get any contract for the injured Catalans five-eighth approved by the NRL.

Robert Lui remains off contract at the Cowboys and shapes as an option with reasonable first grade experience, though has spent much of his career battling form, weight and off-field issues.

Canberra’s Mitchell Cornish has already accepted he won’t be at the Raiders in 2016 due to a surplus of halves in the nation’s capital, and has been touted as Titans-bound already.

Partnering Cornish and Elgey would give the Gold Coast two of the game’s brightest young playmakers, but as seen at the Tigers with Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks, the short term pay-off is having two young halves steering the ship has it’s teething problems.

Luke Kelly (Parramatta), Isaac John (Penrith) and Tim Moltzen (Tigers) are other options, though all have struggled to crack first grade in 2015 and would be a far cry from the quality Cherry-Evans would’ve offered the Titans.

Boonarga
03-06-15, 06:16 PM
Daly Cherry-Evans backflip: Trent Hodkinson, James Maloney best halves options market
Dan Walsh FOX SPORTS
June 03, 2015 3:01PM

Expect Todd Carney’s name to be thrown into the mix, but it’ll take a lot of smooth talking to get any contract for the injured Catalans five-eighth approved by the NRL.

Robert Lui remains off contract at the Cowboys and shapes as an option with reasonable first grade experience, though has spent much of his career battling form, weight and off-field issues.

If Packer and Wicks can get contracts...

Robert Lui? One of the worst halves ever to play first grade.

GCTTSD
03-06-15, 06:27 PM
I would like to see corey norman, hodkinson or cornish partnered with elgey

Smakked
03-06-15, 06:48 PM
Who ever we get I hope we dont pay over for them

Nols of the Goldy
03-06-15, 06:57 PM
The mention of Kelly on here, do you mean Albert Kelly. If so he has just signed another one year extension with Hull as has Maurice Blair.

Geeman
03-06-15, 06:58 PM
I don't think Hodkinson would be too bad, the injury side of it is a bit of a worry, but a stable, no-frills half with a good kicking game to partner Elgey and let him do his thing...

Davis13
03-06-15, 07:00 PM
Please not sandow

gotitans101_
03-06-15, 07:24 PM
I'd rather Maloney than all of them. He's done it all before.

ozynorts
03-06-15, 07:35 PM
Ok am I missing something here. Why are we being linked with half backs??????????? We have Elgey and need a 5/8. most of the names put up are half backs. The two 6's that stand out are Maloney and Norman.

JunctionBlock
03-06-15, 07:40 PM
Ok am I missing something here. Why are we being linked with half backs??????????? We have Elgey and need a 5/8. most of the names put up are half backs. The two 6's that stand out are Maloney and Norman.

Chad Townsend. Having a career year.

Hail Sezer
03-06-15, 07:54 PM
Titans turn to Eels star Chris Sandow and Bulldogs’ Trent Hodkinson

EXCLUSIVE Chris Garry and Peter Badel
The Courier-Mail June 03, 2015 7:00PM

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2015/06/03/1227381/808430-4492501e-09c5-11e5-aa98-4a5250cbf318.jpg

THE Gold Coast Titans will chase Parramatta star Chris Sandow as their ideal replacement for Daly Cherry-Evans with Bulldogs half Trent Hodkinson also an option.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Gold Coast coach Neil Henry wants former Titan prodigy Sandow or Origin-winner Hodkinson to partner Kane Elgey in the halves.

The Titans were always uncomfortable with the $1.3 million a season they were paying for Cherry-Evans.

There were fears a raft of injuries next season would put them over the cap if they had to bring in replacements.

Following the Cherry-Evans backflip they have switched gears.

The Titans want to have a more rounded squad rather than piling their cash into a marquee.

The Titans now want a half under $500,000 a year, with Sandow and Hodkinson fitting that bill.

Hodkinson has been in poor form this year but did lead NSW to an Origin win and Canterbury to a grand final last season.

Sandow has been erratic as always for Parramatta but is a match winner and could be the spark outside the organising Elgey.

The Titans sacked Sandow in 2008 after he missed a series of training sessions.

Roosters five-eighth James Maloney could be an option but is asking too much at the moment and is in poor form also.

Henry wants a goal-kicking half to replace Canberra-bound Aidan Sezer. The Titans will not try to get Sezer to backflip from his Raiders deal, they believe they priced him right at about $400,000.

Cherry-Evans’ late call revealing he was staying at Manly means there is precious little left on the market for the Gold Coast.

There are only four halves playing regular NRL that are still available, being Sandow, Hodkinson, Maloney and Ray Thompson who is a bench hooker for the Cowboys.

Robert Lui and Isaac John would be cheaper, short-term fixes while St Helens half Luke Walsh has been offered to NRL clubs.

Titans coach Neil Henry said Cherry-Evans decision to backflip three months after he signed had hurt their recruitment plans significantly.

“The impact has been significant because with such a marquee player it really did limit us with our recruitment and our recruitment strategy and factoring that into the salary cap,” Henry said.

“It was a considerable amount of work that had to happen for Daly to come on board to start off with.

“There are a number of halfbacks that haven’t signed contracts and high-profile ones so we’re just have to see.

“It certainly does free up a bit of money in the cap and we will have to look at that for the future of the club.

“No firm offers because it was really pointless to put an expression of interest in a player given that we don’t know if it was going to happen.

“It was purely hypothetical. We just have to have a look in the market now.

“We probably need some experience in the halves. Goal kicking would be an advantage.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/daly-cherry-evans-backflip-titans-turn-to-eels-star-chris-sandow-and-bulldogs-trent-hodkinson/story-e6frf3xc-1227381808458

Toads
03-06-15, 07:59 PM
If that's Plan B, fark that then..

Geeman
03-06-15, 08:05 PM
I don't think Sandow would be any good for us - Form is all over the place, and not sure about his record off the field either. I know he had issues a few years ago, but maybe he has got through them...

JunctionBlock
03-06-15, 08:05 PM
If Sandow is a Titan then no longer shall I be.

Titan4Life
03-06-15, 08:08 PM
Sandow should not be our primary target but I'll support whoever comes to the Titans. Who knows, maybe a show of faith with a new contract could help him pick up his form and same goes with Hodkinson. Guess we will see though. The next few weeks will definitely be interesting.

Mexican titan
03-06-15, 08:10 PM
In relation to the article above, please not Sandow. In addition to the off field dramas with him I don't see him as an ideal compliment to LG. Hodgo and Maloney fit the bill and I would be happy with either, although the Maloney missed tackles stats is a worry.
Two young halves at this stage is too risky - the Wests Tigers are the perfect example and Brooks has gone backwards this year (of course they will both have blinders on Friday now that I have said that).

JunctionBlock
03-06-15, 08:16 PM
Not to mention we don't have the forward pack to allow Sandow the time to perform without pressure. Which is the only time he performs.

Smakked
03-06-15, 08:44 PM
Out of all that has been mentioned I would go Maloney. He is really the only one who is sorta consistence.

GCTTSD
03-06-15, 08:45 PM
Whilst sandow wouldnt be my first choice, i wouldnt mind him partnering elgey. We know elgey plays best when hes the dominent half and is directing play and calling the shots and sandow can sit back let elgey steer the ship and chime in in the attack

IpswichTitans
03-06-15, 09:05 PM
I want youth! Mbye / Cornish / Hazard are all worthy IMO.

But Jimmy Maloney would be my pick of the senior bunch. Wouldn't mind Norman either.

Hail Sezer
03-06-15, 09:10 PM
I want youth! Mbye / Cornish / Hazard are all worthy IMO.

I want youth too and anyone who knows me knows that I favour younger players in the context of our club's position but I'm just not sure that our setup would cater for having one partner LG in the halves.

The tigers are the example used and even they have Robbie Farah at the other key spine position of hooker. We have 21 year old Kierran Moseley who doesn't have that experience and leadership.

It's tough and I'd love an LG/Mbye halves pairing but I can see it being far too much pressure on an inexperienced spine.

Hail Sezer
03-06-15, 10:14 PM
Wow..the Bulldogs forum really, really want Hodkinson gone. Like really bad. Begging us to take him off them.

NSW Titan
03-06-15, 10:53 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing hodko, sandow or Maloney here, also like the sound of Mbye and Cornish and maybe even Isaac John, if all else fails I could live with lui or maybe even a luke walsh

K2G
03-06-15, 11:11 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing hodko, sandow or Maloney here, also like the sound of Mbye and Cornish and maybe even Isaac John, if all else fails I could live with lui or maybe even a luke walsh

If that's what you could live with, i'd hate to think what 'scraping the bottom of the barrel' would look like to you.

I'd rather let Mortimer, Hazard and Fogarty play 6 than waste money on half the blokes you just mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow..the Bulldogs forum really, really want Hodkinson gone. Like really bad. Begging us to take him off them.

Can you imagine the hate doggs fans would have for our club if we signed their saviour Moses Mbye right now? Holy hell - it'd be worth it just for that. They already love that we took Sezer, Carter and Burr ... If we stole Mbye and left them with 'Hokko.' Damn, I don't even know - there would be riots in Bankstown.

NSW Titan
03-06-15, 11:43 PM
Well considering hazard and fogarty are both unproven at nrl level at this stag I'd go with those mentioned, Mortimer will be playing hooker for the rest of his time here unless injurys occur

Boonarga
03-06-15, 11:56 PM
Here's a left field name I saw in another forum... Quade Cooper.
Unlikely as the rugger players are probably on higher money than league players these days.

Titanic
04-06-15, 12:12 AM
Norman then Hodgkinson then Maloney but not much between them, imho … would like MBye in the rotation but that is just wishful thinking as he would look good in the centres.

JunctionBlock
04-06-15, 06:13 AM
Seriously, whats wrong with Townsend?

Titan4Life
04-06-15, 06:26 AM
Seriously, whats wrong with Townsend?

Not entirely sure but isn't his mum sick in Sydney? Wouldn't make much sense for him to come to the GC. Guess we could try but doubt it would happen.

RenegadeGC
04-06-15, 06:34 AM
Yeah family member is sick. Hence why the Warriors will give him an early release to go back to Sydney. I doubt they would release him to come to the GC.

karnage
04-06-15, 08:31 AM
The only suggestion on this thread worse than Trent Hodkinson is Quade Cooper. Trent Hodkinson is a very, very limited footballer who stifles attack, especially in the attacking third. Quade Cooper plays an irrelevant sport and should stay there.

amaline
04-06-15, 08:37 AM
The only suggestion on this thread worse than Trent Hodkinson is Quade Cooper. Trent Hodkinson is a very, very limited footballer who stifles attack, especially in the attacking third. Quade Cooper plays an irrelevant sport and should stay there.

Has Trent always been bad? I thought last year or the year before he went alright. But maybe I'm just remembering his fantasy scores...

Julius Sezer
04-06-15, 09:04 AM
No to Hodkinson. I don't want an inconsistent player like Sandow. Best way to go is either Corey Norman or James Maloney. But it would be great if we can snag Todd Carney on cheap money. Then we can spend the rest of the money on forwards.

JunctionBlock
04-06-15, 09:51 AM
Yeah family member is sick. Hence why the Warriors will give him an early release to go back to Sydney. I doubt they would release him to come to the GC.

His contract is up this year so no release necessary. Barba's dad was sick too when he wanted out of the Dogs. Guess he got over the flu so he went back to a Sydney based team.

RenegadeGC
04-06-15, 10:09 AM
His contract is up this year so no release necessary. Barba's dad was sick too when he wanted out of the Dogs. Guess he got over the flu so he went back to a Sydney based team.

He still has one more year. At like the Tomkins release. Warriors will release due to compassionate grounds. They want to keep him but are willing to let him go back to Sydney to be closer to family. More than happy to be proven wrong if there is some where saying he is off contract thus year. :)

Lol okay I'm wrong haha just seen a post. I know they wanted to resign him though hahaha. Lucky I'm not an agent or recruitment staff haha

Smakked
04-06-15, 10:55 AM
Not many options really is there, going to be a few years before we make the finals I would say. Carney or Maloney would be good but unsure if NRL would allow a contract with him. Other then those 2 there is no one else, sandow is a no go for me, to inconsistent and I can see him getting into the party lifestyle up here. The 2 youngens Hazard and Fogarty I don't know a lot about, are they ready for the step up to nrl?

Titanic
04-06-15, 11:06 AM
Henry states that Sandow is his prime target ... WTF!!!!!! and to be honest I quite liked (not in that way) Matty Smith the Pommie half last 4 nations.

http://www.nrl.com/titans-disillusioned-by-dce-decision/tabid/10874/newsid/86774/default.aspx

amaline
04-06-15, 11:10 AM
Henry states that Sandow is his prime target ... WTF!!!!!!
http://www.nrl.com/titans-disillusioned-by-dce-decision/tabid/10874/newsid/86774/default.aspx

Did he say Sandow specifically? I thought he said he'd like someone with experience in the halves and goal-kicking would be an advantage.

Hail Sezer
04-06-15, 11:12 AM
Did he say Sandow specifically? I thought he said he'd like someone with experience in the halves and goal-kicking would be an advantage.

He didn't say anyone specifically, just that we want an experienced one who goal kicks. The author then listed the most logical options.

Brock O'Brien
04-06-15, 11:12 AM
Henry states that Sandow is his prime target ... WTF!!!!!!

Nowhere does it says Henry said he wants Sandow mate

Titanic
04-06-15, 11:24 AM
sorry guys referenced the wrong article and can't get back into the Tele hwich is where I think I saw it ...anyway doesn't matter ... sorry again

RenegadeGC
04-06-15, 11:27 AM
Experience an goal kicking would mean Maloney and Hodgkinson, at of all the youngens including our own Hazard and Fogarty I would love to see titans pick up Shaun Nona, by far the best half running around in QLD Cup the last couple of years, and has the awards and recognition to back it up. Also a very very handy goal kicker.

NSW Titan
04-06-15, 11:53 AM
Mbye kicks aswell doesn't he? I'd like to see him here, haven't seen nona play but sounds good also wouldn't mind Townsend but pretty sure he's a done deal at sharks

K2G
04-06-15, 12:00 PM
Experience an goal kicking would mean Maloney and Hodgkinson, at of all the youngens including our own Hazard and Fogarty I would love to see titans pick up Shaun Nona, by far the best half running around in QLD Cup the last couple of years, and has the awards and recognition to back it up. Also a very very handy goal kicker.

Yeah I liked what small amount i've seen of Nona's play. Starred for QLD Residents last month, played really well for Pride beating Panthers Cup side on GF day last year. Has a really dangerous short kicking game, can kick goals, good slight of hand and can put players into space. Also, spending the year under Belamy, and learning from Cronk, Smith and co wouldn't of hurt his development at all ... only thing I wonder about is his game management skills, and in this sense, am not sure if his play style will compliment Elgey (very similar in a lot of ways). That said - I'd rather him than Sandow or Hodgkinson.

For me, If we're going youth - I think Ash Taylor has the highest ceiling and provides the best stylistic compliment for LG ... Although the amount of time they'd need to develop as a pair would test the patience of most Titans fans. I don't think Taylor is as NRL ready as Elgey was/is but he will be a very 5/8 with some time.

What are others opinions on Nona, Taylor or any other young half not currently playing in the NRL?

Seems like most everyone would prefer an established NRL player?

- - - Updated - - -

Mbye kicks aswell doesn't he? I'd like to see him here, haven't seen nona play but sounds good also wouldn't mind Townsend but pretty sure he's a done deal at sharks

Mbye isn't going anywhere. Loves it at the dogs and is viewed as a future captain.

Townsend wants to return to a Sydney club, and like you said - is rumoured to have already signed to the sharks.

Mexican titan
04-06-15, 12:08 PM
Yeah I liked what small amount i've seen of Nona's play. Starred for QLD Residents last month, played really well for Pride beating Panthers Cup side on GF day last year. Has a really dangerous short kicking game, can kick goals, good slight of hand and can put players into space. Also, spending the year under Belamy, and learning from Cronk, Smith and co wouldn't of hurt his development at all ... only thing I wonder about is his game management skills, and in this sense, am not sure if his play style will compliment Elgey (very similar in a lot of ways). That said - I'd rather him than Sandow or Hodgkinson.

For me, If we're going youth - I think Ash Taylor has the highest ceiling and provides the best stylistic compliment for LG ... Although the amount of time they'd need to develop as a pair would test the patience of most Titans fans. I don't think Taylor is as NRL ready as Elgey was/is but he will be a very 5/8 with some time.

What are others opinions on Nona, Taylor or any other young half not currently playing in the NRL?

Seems like most everyone would prefer an established NRL player?

- - - Updated - - -

Mbye isn't going anywhere. Loves it at the dogs and is viewed as a future captain.

Townsend wants to return to a Sydney club, and like you said - is rumoured to have already signed to the sharks.

For me the ideal is to get Maloney and one of the gun young blokes like Nona or Taylor. My main interest in Maloney is that he is experienced and I believe the team needs one experienced half to complement LG's inexperience. I would hope that we can just develop a Nona/Taylor until Maloney leaves or changes positions but whether a young half would come under those circumstances is debatable. If not I believe experience is the priority as I like many others have had enough of baby steps and we need to get into finals before we lose even more support.

Yankee Doodle Titan
04-06-15, 12:44 PM
Blech! This whole thread is like people squabbling over who gets the last of the leftover chips sitting under the buffet heat lamps.

For marketing purposes we need a 'name' in our side, and none of the guys we're talking about provide that. I'm coming around to the idea of just getting some quality Qcup, etc., youngster (like that Nona kid you all are talking about) and then drop the serious money into getting Sam Burgess (and maybe the other Burgess brothers, as well) into our side to beef things up. That's as close to a crowd-pulling 'name' as I can think of.

Show and Go
04-06-15, 12:54 PM
May as well fold if Sandow is the primary target for Neil Henry. That'll be the mother of all **** ups/

K2G
04-06-15, 01:01 PM
Blech! This whole thread is like people squabbling over who gets the last of the leftover chips sitting under the buffet heat lamps.

For marketing purposes we need a 'name' in our side, and none of the guys we're talking about provide that. I'm coming around to the idea of just getting some quality Qcup, etc., youngster (like that Nona kid you all are talking about) and then drop the serious money into getting Sam Burgess (and maybe the other Burgess brothers, as well) into our side to beef things up. That's as close to a crowd-pulling 'name' as I can think of.

I agree YDT. There are no more 'marquee' halves left on the market. Let's not spend big on that position until there is one we want.

TitansFan92
04-06-15, 01:06 PM

Although a big name would be good. We did that already at look where that got us....

I would like us to sign Maloney on a 2 year deal on no more then 600k a year and Nona to a 3 year deal for around 200k per year. Maloney so he is able to mentor Nona and LG both of which are still young and need experience to help them develop.

We also need to re sign Roberts ASAP. Also re sign Passi and Pettybourne. Release Taylor to go to the super league.

Sign Molo, Docker and McQueen

5 Year Contract
04-06-15, 01:16 PM
Although a big name would be good. We did that already at look where that got us....

I would like us to sign Maloney on a 2 year deal on no more then 600k a year and Nona to a 3 year deal for around 200k per year. Maloney so he is able to mentor Nona and LG both of which are still young and need experience to help them develop.

We also need to re sign Roberts ASAP. Also re sign Passi and Pettybourne. Release Taylor to go to the super league.

Is the club echoing your sentiments or is it back to square one recruitment wise?

RenegadeGC
04-06-15, 01:18 PM

Is that a hint that Plan B is in effect TF92?? and thats who we will be going after?

I like the thought of Maloney and LG combo with Nona learning the ropes and possibly given shot. 600k a year seems a big price for Maloney though.

Surfers66
04-06-15, 01:39 PM
Friday tomorrow guys, probably get away with wearing a titans jersey at work or wherever you me be.

Lets show some support.

Yankee Doodle Titan
04-06-15, 01:50 PM

Yes, but the rules have since changed, no? Any big name we go after now only has 10 days to stab us in the back :banana:

In all seriousness, I'm more than happy to trust you guys who actually know who's hot and who's not in the world of footy. I just don't like Maloney. The whole frickin' shoe thief thing... But, eh, I'll live if that's what Titans HQ decides.

TitansFan92
04-06-15, 02:10 PM
Is the club echoing your sentiments or is it back to square one recruitment wise?

I wouldn't say we are back to square one but with DCE no longer coming we are able to rethink our plan and go after players that were previously out of our price range because of how much of our cap was taken up by DCE.

Is that a hint that Plan B is in effect TF92?? and thats who we will be going after?

I like the thought of Maloney and LG combo with Nona learning the ropes and possibly given shot. 600k a year seems a big price for Maloney though.

The club always had a shortlist of replacements since the news of a possible backflip was mentioned but no formal meeting have been held. That will be done over the next 2-3 weeks and hopefully by then we will have a player or players signed to replace DCE. 600k may be a little much but his asking price is a little higher.

I must say I was pissed off yesterday about DCE. I was ready to rip peoples heads off but after a recruitment meeting this mourning I think it will be a blessing in that we can now go for a more well rounded team and not just one big name. One man does not make a team.

Mexican titan
04-06-15, 02:12 PM

Pretty much what I prefer ........so lets get it done then. Simple eh!

- - - Updated - - -

In all seriousness, I'm more than happy to trust you guys who actually know who's hot and who's not in the world of footy. I just don't like Maloney. The whole frickin' shoe thief thing... But, eh, I'll live if that's what Titans HQ decides.

We have a few blokes playing for us that have done a bit more than just throw a few footy boots away.

JunctionBlock
04-06-15, 02:20 PM
"Mourning" I see what you did there.

Please, Just say no to Sandow. We can't be that desperate.

Geeman
04-06-15, 05:35 PM
If he did come here, I wonder if Maloney would still make appearances on the footy show - could help with our public profile to a degree.

Toads
04-06-15, 05:36 PM
Hail Sezer, this thread needs a poll. I feel the need to vote against any idea of Maloney coming on board. Damn, I'd nearly reconsider the Sandow option.

**** it, I'd even settle for our young guns being blooded 'n hire Lockyer to show 'em a thing or two.

Geeman
04-06-15, 05:39 PM
I wonder why King is refusing to look at Super League for talent?

Hail Sezer
04-06-15, 05:46 PM
Hail Sezer, this thread needs a poll. I feel the need to vote against any idea of Maloney coming on board. Damn, I'd nearly reconsider the Sandow option.

**** it, I'd even settle for our young guns being blooded 'n hire Lockyer to show 'em a thing or two.

Poll added :)

Show and Go
04-06-15, 06:17 PM
I wonder why King is refusing to look at Super League for talent?

How many Pommie halves have come to the NRL and succeeded??

The Mole
04-06-15, 06:21 PM
I'm not fussed out on missing DCE because our halves is not the biggest problem. We have some talented young halves in Fogarty and Hazard who are capable of playing 1st grade. Our biggest problem is our forwards and lack of leaders/captains in the team.
Neither Myles, Bird or Zillman are captain material, neither is Douglas.
Ryan James is the best option of the lot yet this is the first year he's cemented a starting spot.

I'd prefer QLD halves.No to Hodkinson, Maloney and Sandow.

Fogarty and Mbye are my top two options. I rate Hazard as well but I see him as a bench hooker/half basically what Mortimer does for us now.

Two left field options are Shaun Nona and Josh Drinkwater both have been the best halves in the QLD/NSW cup.

I'd really like the club give Fogarty a go. He's not that far from Elgey when it comes to talent, it wasn't long ago Fogarty was the better of the two IMO but then of course came Elgey's breakout year. I'm sure fans and people of the coast would back a young Titan junior and local halves combo over someone like Maloney, Hodkinson and Sandow. And the best part they wouldn't be overpaid.

Titanic
04-06-15, 06:51 PM
Dare I mention we should get Page back and if we want a crowd pleasing unknown forward then grab Ottio or a strike centre then Teteh both from the Hunters for a song. I voted Carney but would be very happy with Norman and Fogarty off the bench but some big big thumping pigs is what we really need ... why not Shillo the Pillow, he's showing some form too?

Mexican titan
04-06-15, 08:31 PM
I'd really like the club give Fogarty a go. He's not that far from Elgey when it comes to talent, it wasn't long ago Fogarty was the better of the two IMO but then of course came Elgey's breakout year. I'm sure fans and people of the coast would back a young Titan junior and local halves combo over someone like Maloney, Hodkinson and Sandow. And the best part they wouldn't be overpaid.

I disagree with you there mate. I think most people on the Coast want success, and in the shorter term that will be gained by getting an experienced half to go with Elgey. It would be great if two Gold Coast products eventually become the halves but would we have a club by then.
Had we not wasted the last three years under Cartwright most of us might have more patience.

Boonarga
04-06-15, 08:38 PM

Not too many have come. Millward and Bishop did quite well.

mdrew
04-06-15, 08:48 PM
My ideal would be Moses but we had him signed to a junior development contract and then basically said to him a few years ago, thanks but no thanks, likely he may not want to come back. Also we had Joe O in our development squads as a 13 year old and now he is a star in the making with the Broncos. Thanks heavens different people are involved with our junior development.

teke
04-06-15, 09:02 PM
Not too many have come. Millward and Bishop did quite well.Hanley

Hail Sezer
04-06-15, 09:21 PM
Much love to the person who voted for Steve Michaels.

I saw Massoud tonight reported that Mbye is our #1 target. However it's highly unlikely that he will be released by the Bulldogs. Glad we are trying though..we have been far too passive in the player market in the past.

mup23
05-06-15, 03:45 AM
Go after Mbye for 2017 and hope the dogs turn on him and release him early in 2016. If we can get him, any stop gap half would be fine for a year or so- Fogarty, Hazard, Walsh, Carney would all sign a one year deal

ozynorts
05-06-15, 07:38 AM
I can't see the Dogs releasing Mbye. Hodkinson is having an average season and Reynolds is a brainsnap away from a long suspension. He has too much upside for them to let him go.
Parramatta have Foran coming in and Norman will be surplus to requirements and add the fact that they have cap issues I think he could be released early by them.
Is Norman a long term option for the team? Not sure but he is an older head that can help steady LG as he grows into his position. Norman also brings versatility.

Geeman
05-06-15, 08:43 AM

Widdop is going alright

Bayside Titan
05-06-15, 09:47 AM
My order is
1.Mbye
2.Maloney
3.Nona
4.Norman

Titanic
05-06-15, 11:29 AM
I repeat; Wigan's Matty Smith would be very useful (watch out for sunburn) but he's a really good organiser, can tackle, has a kicking game and big game experience ... we could do much worse.

JunctionBlock
06-06-15, 09:36 AM
Townsend signed by the Sharks. Plus the Sharks announce a major sponsor.

TITAN PETE
06-06-15, 09:40 AM
I repeat; Wigan's Matty Smith would be very useful (watch out for sunburn) but he's a really good organiser, can tackle, has a kicking game and big game experience ... we could do much worse.

He's an excellent player would prefer him over the 2 overrated halves on the market

JunctionBlock
06-06-15, 04:02 PM
With the Sharks signing Townsend that drops them out of the race for Maloney. Manly can't afford him and the Roosters can't pay big dollars for him. We might be a chance of paying a fair market price.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/james-maloney-could-leave-the-sydney-roosters-at-end-of-the-year-20150604-ghgrro.html

Geeman
08-06-15, 06:17 PM
After a bit more consideration, I am starting to think Maloney might be an o.k fit for us.
Also, after watching the Dogs/Dragons game, I get the feeling they have no intention of letting Mbye go anywhere. Hope I'm wrong

The Mole
08-06-15, 08:54 PM
I disagree with you there mate. I think most people on the Coast want success, and in the shorter term that will be gained by getting an experienced half to go with Elgey. It would be great if two Gold Coast products eventually become the halves but would we have a club by then.
Had we not wasted the last three years under Cartwright most of us might have more patience.

No doubt people want success but I disagree that you need an experienced half to have success. I'll use Manly for example, in 2010 Hodkinson announced he was going to the dogs leaving Manly without an establed halves partner. Lyon was valuable at center more than he was at 5/8 so rather then signing any half available they promoted DCE meanwhile the Raiders who lost Campese to a season ending injury signed premiership winning half Matt Orford who was out of form and carrying injuries (much like Hodkinson now) to a big money deal to add experience. Ofcourse 2011 came, DCE was a success and Orford was a flop.

Majority of the people on this forum think that Mybe is the best option- not a experienced half.
Majority of the people on this forum thought that LG should be picked over Mortimer and retained over Sezer- again not an experienced half.

Yes I'm using selective situations to prove my point :p but truth is there is not a blue chip half off contract atm. By blue chip I mean a half that can win or have a massive influence in winning a game. Out of the three we are linked to Maloney, Sandow or Hodkinson could you honestly say they can win us games. If I had to chose out of them it would be Maloney then daylight. At least their would some upside to signing him from both an on and off-field perspective. I'm not saying your wrong, signing either one of them could be a good signing but it's a big gamble, especially when they will take up a lot of $$$.

It seems like the club is trying to sign a big name player not for what they can offer to us but rather signing a somebody with reputation to save face from getting our pants pulled down by DCE. I'd rather the club sign Mybe or promoted Fogarty, sign some forwards and backs and save money. The roosters and warriors both use to spend under the cap because apparently whatever remaining can go towards future seasons cap.
Teams have made the grand final with ordinary halves pairing. If Fogarty or Hazard don't work out then we wait till another blue chip half becomes available. Yes my approach is likely to cause more losses than wins but you know what hurts more than your team losing, your team being a joke. ATM we are a laughing stock in the eyes of supporters and yes even players. Players use us as negotiating tool to bump up their price or come here expecting a pay day.

Anyway the next few months for us will be interesting to say the least.

God forbid if we sign Robert Lui and have a halves pairing of Lui and Sandow.

Mexican titan
08-06-15, 09:20 PM
No doubt people want success but I disagree that you need an experienced half to have success. I'll use Manly for example, in 2010 Hodkinson announced he was going to the dogs leaving Manly without an establed halves partner. Lyon was valuable at center more than he was at 5/8 so rather then signing any half available they promoted DCE meanwhile the Raiders who lost Campese to a season ending injury signed premiership winning half Matt Orford who was out of form and carrying injuries (much like Hodkinson now) to a big money deal to add experience. Ofcourse 2011 came, DCE was a success and Orford was a flop.

Majority of the people on this forum think that Mybe is the best option- not a experienced half.
Majority of the people on this forum thought that LG should be picked over Mortimer and retained over Sezer- again not an experienced half.

Yes I'm using selective situations to prove my point :p but truth is there is not a blue chip half off contract atm. By blue chip I mean a half that can win or have a massive influence in winning a game. Out of the three we are linked to Maloney, Sandow or Hodkinson could you honestly say they can win us games. If I had to chose out of them it would be Maloney then daylight. At least their would some upside to signing him from both an on and off-field perspective. I'm not saying your wrong, signing either one of them could be a good signing but it's a big gamble, especially when they will take up a lot of $$$.

It seems like the club is trying to sign a big name player not for what they can offer to us but rather signing a somebody with reputation to save face from getting our pants pulled down by DCE. I'd rather the club sign Mybe or promoted Fogarty, sign some forwards and backs and save money. The roosters and warriors both use to spend under the cap because apparently whatever remaining can go towards future seasons cap.
Teams have made the grand final with ordinary halves pairing. If Fogarty or Hazard don't work out then we wait till another blue chip half becomes available. Yes my approach is likely to cause more losses than wins but you know what hurts more than your team losing, your team being a joke. ATM we are a laughing stock in the eyes of supporters and yes even players. Players use us as negotiating tool to bump up their price or come here expecting a pay day.

Anyway the next few months for us will be interesting to say the least.

God forbid if we sign Robert Lui and have a halves pairing of Lui and Sandow.

Geez mate I can disagree with a fair bit of what you have posted - and that is a good thing and what this forum is about. Nothing wrong with some differing opinions.
Specifically about the above:
*Manly lost Hodgkinson in 2011 and the premiership winning halves were DCE in his first year with Foran, in his third year. Foran by this stage had already played test football for the Kiwis, so Manly had one well established halves partner. DCE got his chance when Hodgkinson left, nothing to do with Orford.
* most people on here were happy for LG to be retained over Sezer but that was because DCE was coming.
* I do believe Maloney can win us games in partnership with Elgey . I am less inclined to say that about Hodgkinson and like you, definitely don't want Sandow.
* I don't really accept that the club is trying to sign a big name based on DCE pulling our dacks down. Their view might be the same as mine in that we need an experienced half to work with Elgey, rather than take the risk and expose two young blokes. Don't get me wrong, I would love to get Mbye but I would like some insurance with an experienced half as well.
* I can't think of too many sides winning the comp with ordinary halves pairings.
* Finally I definitely do not agree that our team is a laughing stock at the moment. We are two points out of the eight, have lost three games by very little, and the standard of improvement from last year is enormous.
* as far as I know you cannot carry over salary cap underspends through to the next season.

Anyway mate, appreciate your opinion. I'm sure we have the same end result in mind, just a different view on how to get there.

DavidBouveng
08-06-15, 09:31 PM
Geez mate I can disagree with a fair bit of what you have posted - and that is a good thing and what this forum is about. Nothing wrong with some differing opinions.
Specifically about the above:
*Manly lost Hodgkinson in 2011 and the premiership winning halves were DCE in his first year with Foran, in his third year. Foran by this stage had already played test football for the Kiwis, so Manly had one well established halves partner. DCE got his chance when Hodgkinson left, nothing to do with Orford.
* most people on here were happy for LG to be retained over Sezer but that was because DCE was coming.
* I do believe Maloney can win us games in partnership with Elgey . I am less inclined to say that about Hodgkinson and like you, definitely don't want Sandow.
* I don't really accept that the club is trying to sign a big name based on DCE pulling our dacks down. Their view might be the same as mine in that we need an experienced half to work with Elgey, rather than take the risk and expose two young blokes. Don't get me wrong, I would love to get Mbye but I would like some insurance with an experienced half as well.
* I can't think of too many sides winning the comp with ordinary halves pairings.
* Finally I definitely do not agree that our team is a laughing stock at the moment. We are two points out of the eight, have lost three games by very little, and the standard of improvement from last year is enormous.
* as far as I know you cannot carry over salary cap underspends through to the next season.

Anyway mate, appreciate your opinion. I'm sure we have the same end result in mind, just a different view on how to get there.

i think you can, or could until recently. it beggars belief, and i only remember it as it knocked me off my chair when i first heard it a couple of years ago.

ill try and see if i can read up on it and find out definitively.

Mexican titan
08-06-15, 09:49 PM
i think you can, or could until recently. it beggars belief, and i only remember it as it knocked me off my chair when i first heard it a couple of years ago.

ill try and see if i can read up on it and find out definitively.

Had a quick look and all I could find was that if you underspend in one year you can prepay current players part of next seasons salary. It cannot go on to a following years cap but I suppose if you prepay blokes it essentially is, mind you it is risky paying someone early.

DavidBouveng
08-06-15, 09:52 PM
yeah i cant recall it exactly, but i remember thinking why wouldn't you just stack one year get the premiership then let it crumble the next year. gotta be better than finishing 7th to 14th every year.

back ending contracts is the same crap too. just keeping players together whose combined value is worth more than the salary cap, then pay the piper down the road, like manly and the dragons have had to do recently.

both got premierships too.

Hail Sezer
10-06-15, 07:05 PM
Matt Logue ‏@mattlogue7 11 mins
In tomorrow's @bigleaguemag, the @GCTitans not interested in signing @TheParraEels Chris Sandow, plus James Maloney's asking price too high

Good and bad news I suppose. Asking price is one thing, market value is another. Low demand currently means that he may not be able to uphold that asking price. Doubt Manly, Cronulla or the Roosters will be willing and able to offer more than we could. I hope, atleast.

TitanSam
10-06-15, 07:11 PM
In tomorrow's @bigleaguemag, the @GCTitans not interested in signing @TheParraEels Chris Sandow, plus James Maloney's asking price too high

Good and bad news I suppose. Asking price is one thing, market value is another. Low demand currently means that he may not be able to uphold that asking price. Doubt Manly, Cronulla or the Roosters will be willing and able to offer more than we could. I hope, atleast. at least we aren't interested in Sandow which is good, I think Hokkos asking price is high too, wonder how much Maloney is asking for.

Titan4Life
10-06-15, 07:50 PM

Good and bad news I suppose. Asking price is one thing, market value is another. Low demand currently means that he may not be able to uphold that asking price. Doubt Manly, Cronulla or the Roosters will be willing and able to offer more than we could. I hope, atleast.

Got Matt to explain a little bit more and he said that Maloney may take less, but the Roosters have already tabled final offer and won't stand in his way if he decides to chase more. Also says that the club might not want to put all their money into a half.

Anyway, I would have loved to see Maloney at the club (might still happen, who knows) but Hodkinson would not be a terrible buy and is the NSW halfback. Hopefully if we did sign him it might boost his confidence and get his game back to the 2013/2014 days. Plus, he is one of the better defensive halfbacks around compared to Maloney who is topping the missed tackle count by plenty. That being said I'm still hopeful Maloney might sign but Hodko would be alright. We can't afford to be too picky.

Great news though that we aren't after Sandow!

TitanSam
10-06-15, 08:00 PM
Got Matt to explain a little bit more and he said that Maloney may take less, but the Roosters have already tabled final offer and won't stand in his way if he decides to chase more. Also says that the club might not want to put all their money into a half.

Anyway, I would have loved to see Maloney at the club (might still happen, who knows) but Hodkinson would not be a terrible buy and is the NSW halfback. Hopefully if we did sign him it might boost his confidence and get his game back to the 2013/2014 days. Plus, he is one of the better defensive halfbacks around compared to Maloney who is topping the missed tackle count by plenty. That being said I'm still hopeful Maloney might sign but Hodko would be alright. We can't afford to be too picky. if I'm to be perfectly honest, I don't mind at this point, one or the other, just please not Sandow or Lui. You're right, we can't be too picky, one or the other would be fine, because if we're too picky, in an instant they'll both be off the market and we'll be stuck with morts or Sandow for 2016. We need to be aggressive but table a good offer, not huge since they both have flaws, but at the same time it's kinda down to them two, so an offer to get either one across the line.

Mexican titan
10-06-15, 08:11 PM

Anyway, I would have loved to see Maloney at the club (might still happen, who knows) but Hodkinson would not be a terrible buy and is the NSW halfback. Hopefully if we did sign him it might boost his confidence and get his game back to the 2013/2014 days. Plus, he is one of the better defensive halfbacks around compared to Maloney who is topping the missed tackle count by plenty. That being said I'm still hopeful Maloney might sign but Hodko would be alright. We can't afford to be too picky.

Great news though that we aren't after Sandow!

You also told Matt that you would buy the mag. I am sure you will.:thumbsup:

Hail Sezer
10-06-15, 08:14 PM

It's going to be a good issue of @bigleaguemag with news and @greg_inglis on the cover as a robot for our technology issue as well.

Apparently.

Go buy it T4L and tell us all what the Maloney article says :thumbsup:

Mexican titan
10-06-15, 08:17 PM
It's going to be a good issue of @bigleaguemag with news and @greg_inglis on the cover as a robot for our technology issue as well.

Apparently.

If gc Anthony T4L doesn't tell you, I will be getting a copy at the game on Sunday and will let you know! Not so interested in the robot stuff though as I know that will be about Carty's game plans.

Titan4Life
10-06-15, 08:22 PM

Yeah of course....:ugh::laugh:

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently.

My shout aye? Was never actually planning to, just trying to seem like a good bloke. A little bit like the current Manly and QLD 1/2 :thumbsup:

Nah I'll try to get it but no guarantees.

Titan4Life
10-06-15, 09:34 PM
He's a good young kid with massive potential but he's not worth $700k imo

Bulldogs move to secure Moses Mbye as Titans wait in the wings

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/sites/sbs.com.au.news/files/styles/full/public/images/2/7/270315m_BulldogsTigers_800x600.jpg?itok=Rsni_g6W&mtime=1427458116
PETER BADEL THE COURIER-MAIL
JUNE 11, 2015 12:00AM

THE Titans will have to pay $700,000 a season to poach Moses Mbye from Canterbury as Bulldogs coach Des Hasler moves to offer the Queensland sensation a contract extension.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Mbye has become one of the most sought-after playmakers in the code, with four clubs vying for the Noosa Pirates product’s signature.

Gold Coast’s interest in Mbye has developed into informal talks and the Titans will get a close-up view of his class when the Bulldogs run onto Cbus Super Stadium this Sunday.

It is understood the Titans are prepared to pay Mbye around $400,000 annually, but that figure is not palatable to a player rated a future Origin star by former Kiwi Test pivot Benji Marshall.

Mbye broke the spirit of Marshall’s Dragons outfit last Sunday with a late field-goal, prompting Hasler to suggest a contract upgrade to stave off the Titans.

The 21-year-old is off-contract at the end of 2016 but there are fears the Josh Reynolds-Trent Hodkinson halves alliance could push the Maroons’ under-20s ace to the Coast.

“I have spoken to the Bulldogs and there is an indication they want to extend Moses’ contract,” Mbye’s manager Simon Mammino said.

“Several clubs, including the Titans, have expressed interest in Moses. We haven’t started formal talks with the Bulldogs but we’ve indicated we will go down that path soon.

“The issue for the Titans is not so much affordability, but more about freeing up Moses’ services to get him next year.

“The Titans need a halfback for next year and Moses is already contracted to Canterbury for next year.

“We are waiting to see where the cards fall at Canterbury. We’ll only explore other avenues if Moses stuck and not playing NRL, but Des is giving him his opportunity so that’s all Moses can ask for.”

Daly Cherry-Evans’ decision to renege on the Titans has freed-up around $950,000 a season under the salary cap.

That means the Titans could ostensibly afford to meet Mbye’s $700,000 price tag, but they are wary of outlaying a marquee salary for a player who has played just 19 NRL games.

Former Bulldogs skipper Michael Ennis watched Mbye flourish in Canterbury’s under-20s outfit and says the club cannot afford to lose the African maestro.

“Moses is a superstar of the future,” Ennis told NRL360.

“Every opportunity he has had, whether it be centre, halfback or five-eighth, he has excelled.

“The cards will have to come out soon. If they keep Hodkinson and Reynolds, you’d imagine Mbye will say if I want to play seven or six I have to go somewhere else.

“The Bulldogs don’t want to lose someone of his quality because he is so good.”

Asked if returning to Queensland was a key factor for Mbye, Mammino said: “Every Queensland kid at some stage thinks of coming home. If they say they’re not, they are telling fibs.

“Moses is pretty settled in Sydney, he has a child on the way so if he’s playing regular football at the Bulldogs it will be hard to see him leaving.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/bulldogs-move-to-secure-moses-mbye-as-titans-wait-in-the-wings/story-fnp0lyn3-1227391734642?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

IpswichTitans
10-06-15, 09:37 PM
Id pay whatever to get him! He will be a Superstar.

Hail Sezer
10-06-15, 09:39 PM
Where did this 700k per season figure come from? Has Badel just made it up? Absolutely no reference whatsoever

jacksonm
11-06-15, 07:47 AM
Media reports this morning that we have signed Corey Norman

Hail Sezer
11-06-15, 07:50 AM

Source?

JunctionBlock
11-06-15, 08:38 AM
$700k a year for M'bye, pass. $400K a year sure. Leaning toward Hodko now. Maloney hasn't exactly set this year on fire but defensively he's the worst in the league. Hodko has his haters but at least he's stronger in defense which we lack in.

Smakked
11-06-15, 09:02 AM

Source? Cannot see it anywhere

jacksonm
11-06-15, 09:06 AM
On Twitter , reading the play

Hail Sezer
11-06-15, 09:11 AM
On Twitter , reading the play

He's not media and his tweet said "if the rumours are correct". Just following speculation. Think we can disregard :)

gotitans101_
11-06-15, 05:11 PM
I hope we never sign Corey Norman tbh

TitanSam
11-06-15, 05:56 PM
Yea I'd be gutted if we signed Norman when theres other players on the market. Tbh it would feel like, if during the buildup to Christmas, Mum drops hints that she's going to get you something cool asf, then she ends up getting you a sewing kit :/

DavidBouveng
11-06-15, 09:18 PM
i still am ok with Norman. he has decent control and kicking on his side. can run. good to watch sometimes.

his interview with Fletch and hindy was piss funny. he seems like a super funny kid, but i think he could be a bit of a stirrer / wind blokes up as Tim Mannah yelled over the top of the interview that a few blokes in the team have had to give him a thumping.

Hail Sezer
24-06-15, 02:50 PM
TITANS RISK LOSING OUT

THE Gold Coast are in danger of missing out on signing a marquee playmaker with the club not entering the race for Kieran Foran and yet to make Trent Hodkinson an offer.

With Foran’s multi-million dollar deal with Parramatta at risk of collapsing, the Titans have the salary cap space to chase a player of his calibre, however Titans boss Graham Annesley denies he is on their hit-list.

“We’ve had no talks to the best of my knowledge with Kieran Foran,” Annesley told foxsports.com.au on Wednesday.

“From the discussions I’ve had with (our recruitment staff), there has been no discussions with him.”

The Titans have been linked with Junior Kiwis playmaker Te Maire Martin who has caught the attention of a number of clubs.

Last month North Queensland made a play for the Tigers Holden Cup captain in a bid which would have seen him join the Cowboys this season but his current club blocked the move.

Hodkinson is also on the Titans’ radar after Daly Cherry-Evans backflipped on his decision to join the club on a four-year-deal.

“We haven’t tabled an offer to Hodkinson at this stage,” Annesley said.

“I think there has been some initial discussions but there hasn’t gotten further than that.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-market-watch-titans-have-no-interest-in-kieran-foran-yet-to-offer-trent-hodkinson-deal/story-fn2mcuj6-1227412897898

TitanSam
24-06-15, 02:58 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-market-watch-titans-have-no-interest-in-kieran-foran-yet-to-offer-trent-hodkinson-deal/story-fn2mcuj6-1227412897898 Beat me to it. I'm nervous about this, I don't want another rebuilding year, I dont. I want to be competitive next year, and I hope our recruitment team is realising this

K2G
24-06-15, 03:24 PM
Happy to see the club hold its ground (like it did with the jersey sponser) and wait to sign the right player at the right price. I'm all for signing a young 6 and watching the club build a dynasty around LG, James, Roberts and Co.

I'd bet we have offers on the table for Mbye and Martin still. I'd be happy with either tbh. If we sign Hodko, I won't be dissapointed, but i hope we don't go full ****** with our cap space to get him..

Mexican titan
24-06-15, 03:27 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-market-watch-titans-have-no-interest-in-kieran-foran-yet-to-offer-trent-hodkinson-deal/story-fn2mcuj6-1227412897898

Surely the quotes attributed to Graham Annesley are not correct. He couldn't be leaving negotiations to recruitment staff as I would expect the CEO gets involved soon after initial dialogue has taken place with the players/player managers. If we wanted to sign Foran or Hodkinson you would assume the CEO would be directly involved and quotes like “I think there has been some initial discussions but there hasn’t gotten further than that” surely are taking the p1ss. The boss makes the decisions and if I was a player manager and still was dealing with the club underlings I wouldn't take the club seriously.

As I said, the quotes mustn't be correct or I would think Graham is just keeping things low key and that things are really happening in the background. I don't blame him if he is gun shy after the DCE farce and doesn't want it played out in the media. God I hope it's the case, because reading the article just makes us look like amateurs. Smokescreen surely.

teke
24-06-15, 03:29 PM
Hodko to sign with the knights

Mexican titan
24-06-15, 03:36 PM
Hodko to sign with the knights

That was doing the rounds about 24 hours ago - refer signings and rumours thread.

Bayside Titan
24-06-15, 04:38 PM
Someone raised the question on Twitter is Corey Norman a chance? I think if he is the best of who we can get then maybe?? I think that he plays ok.

Hail Sezer
24-06-15, 04:42 PM
Someone raised the question on Twitter is Corey Norman a chance? I think if he is the best of who we can get then maybe?? I think that he plays ok.

He's still under contract. We can't get him unless he gets a release. Parra would not release him especially given the Foran drama

Smakked
24-06-15, 07:01 PM
I dont think we are going to sign anyone for another half seems we are not really looking which is odd ?

TitanSam
24-06-15, 07:06 PM
I dont think we are going to sign anyone for another half seems we are not really looking which is odd ? I kinda get the feeling that the recruitment team doesn't really care to a degree.

Hail Sezer
24-06-15, 07:21 PM
I kinda get the feeling that the recruitment team doesn't really care to a degree.

Ohh gummmon ease up

Silence is painful but we've been burnt hard in the media before and after the DCE fiasco I'm not surprised that Annesley is playing it cool. Don't want us to get dragged through a media circus of false expectation again.

I'm concerned about the lack of Halves available but to say they don't care after their efforts in pulling off (nearly) the signing of DCE is pretty rough IMO.

Smakked
24-06-15, 07:24 PM
I don't think it is that they don't car they may be just Gun SHy like the fox sports article said. But maybe they are doing a good job of keeping it secret as to whats going on. We just cannot afford to have another rebuilding year/s crowds are at there lowest and more rebuilding will kill the game up here.

Titan4Life
24-06-15, 07:35 PM
I kinda get the feeling that the recruitment team doesn't really care to a degree.

Totally agree. While I thank the recruitment team for their efforts in (almost) acquiring DCE's signature, they have been quite pathetic ever since he backflipped imo. The fact that we haven't even made an offer to Hodkinson, who is the only decent option left on the market, is ridiculous considering we know that he is close to signing with Newcastle. Also, we set out a plan to sign players such as Johnston, Mata'utia, Joe from the Broncos + more and they have gone elsewhere. Not saying that it is entirely the fault of the recruitment team but we have to step it up.

If the news is true that we haven't made an offer for Hodko, then we are a bloody joke tbh. Rant over.

TitanSam
24-06-15, 07:36 PM
Totally agree. While I thank the recruitment team for their efforts in (almost) acquiring DCE's signature, they have been quite pathetic ever since he backflipped imo. The fact that we haven't even made an offer to Hodkinson, who is the only decent option left on the market, is ridiculous considering we know that he is close to signing with Newcastle. Also, we set out a plan to sign players such as Johnston, Mata'utia, Joe from the Broncos + more and they have gone elsewhere. Not saying that it is entirely the fault of the recruitment team but we have to step it up.

If the news is true that we haven't made an offer for Hodko, then we are a bloody joke tbh. Rant over.
Couldn't agree more

RenegadeGC
24-06-15, 07:41 PM
I think we don't need to overreact in terms of what the recruitment team is doing. If I'm wrong I apologize but has the new contract rule come in play yet. So everything can't be announced until after the 10 day cooling period unless they are released.

I'd take everything written or said in the media with a grain of salt.

Hail Sezer
24-06-15, 08:01 PM

I'll bite.

Pathetic in not making an offer to Hodkinson...within 3 weeks of DCE backflipping. You understand that this has forced us to completely re-evaluate our recruitment plan for 2016 and beyond? We've now got 1.2million we need to re-allocate. That doesn't happen overnight. You want us to sign a marquee player because...he is the only marquee player that is left? I'll admit I'd be fine with Hodko - but to panic because Newcastle have offered and Graham has come out and said that we haven't (which IMO is tongue in cheek anyway) is a bit over the top. Chill out matey!

With regard to your "plan" of signing all those young players. We didn't set out that plan. The media set out that plan for us. We were never going to get Johnston. We don't need him. Trying to pinch the Broncos best up and coming front rower? Lol good fight. Mata'utia said today he was borderline joining us. But what happened? We signed Nene Macdonald who IIRC you are a huge fan of T4L ;)

Be realistic. This is a multi-million dollar cap we are operating with real life people, not a playstation game. Don't buy in to the media with that degree of naivety.

/Counter rant over

- - - Updated - - -

T4L I see you've taken to twitter asking every reporter what is happening as well in case anything changed in the past 15 minutes :laugh:

Titanic
24-06-15, 08:01 PM
What's more annoying?

a. TF92 style insider info bs
b. Dead silence from our recruitment team
c. Losing your left nut in a squirrel grip tackle and your right slammed in the fridge door
d. Watching Friend and Thompson score against us in the same match
e. Being at sixes and sevens about our 6's and 7's.

Titan4Life
24-06-15, 08:04 PM
I'll bite.

Pathetic in not making an offer to Hodkinson...within 3 weeks of DCE backflipping. You understand that this has forced us to completely re-evaluate our recruitment plan for 2016 and beyond? We've now got 1.2million we need to re-allocate. That doesn't happen overnight. You want us to sign a marquee player because...he is the only marquee player that is left? I'll admit I'd be fine with Hodko - but to panic because Newcastle have offered and Graham has come out and said that we haven't (which IMO is tongue in cheek anyway) is a bit over the top. Chill out.

With regard to your "plan" of signing all those young players. We didn't set out that plan. The media set out that plan for us. We were never going to get Johnston. We don't need him. Trying to pinch the Broncos best up and coming front rower? Lol good fight. Mata'utia said today he was borderline joining us. But what happened? We signed Nene Macdonald who IIRC you are a huge fan of T4L.

Be realistic. This is a multi-million dollar cap we are operating with real life people, not a playstation game. Don't buy in to the media with that degree of naivety.

/Counter rant over

Fair enough and you make a great point in a lot of your arguments. All I was saying is that the club seems to be taking their time with player recruitment. Other clubs like Newcastle are talking seriously with Hodko and have apparently already made an offer. None of us know what is happening behind the scenes but from the outside we look a little ridiculous. Just my take.

Hail Sezer
24-06-15, 08:08 PM
Fair enough and you make a great point in a lot of your arguments. All I was saying is that the club seems to be taking their time with player recruitment. Other clubs like Newcastle are talking seriously with Hodko and have already made an offer. None of us know what is happening behind the scenes but from the outside we look a little ridiculous. Just my take.

Love your enthusiasm and passion mate. A few events of the course of this forum have lead to a lot of us being very good at interpreting media reports (thanks David May).

Silence sucks. Especially when we are looking so thin and needing of reassurance. But at the same time we need to be realistic. There is stuff happening behind the scenes....patience is key :)

If you're not good with the patience thing then take the approach that a lot of us do and get emailing the club. They're actually really good at responding and usually leave you with more confidence than you had when you pressed send.

Titan4Life
24-06-15, 08:16 PM
Love your enthusiasm and passion mate. A few events of the course of this forum have lead to a lot of us being very good at interpreting media reports (thanks David May).

Silence sucks. Especially when we are looking so thin and needing of reassurance. But at the same time we need to be realistic. There is stuff happening behind the scenes....patience is key :)

If you're not good with the patience thing then take the approach that a lot of us do and get emailing the club. They're actually really good at responding and usually leave you with more confidence than you had when you pressed send.

I definitely am an impatient person and am very passionate about the club. Like a lot of us, I often believe stuff in the media that is often bs.

Not a lot agree with me but I just think that Hodko's signature is very important for the club especially in our rebuilding stage. Without him, we are left to choose from a basket containing Robert Lui, Chris Sandow or an inexperienced junior. We will not cease if we don't sign him but it will definitely set us back a few years. Hope we get him.

TitanSam
24-06-15, 08:21 PM
Just an idea: Let's say Foran walks out on eels, and signs with the dogs (rumour that has been thrown up). And we offer Mbye say 600-800 K per season.. We are a chance of getting Mbye? Correct?.

mup23
24-06-15, 08:31 PM
Neil Henry and Graham Annesley will look after us

Mexican titan
24-06-15, 08:40 PM
I definitely am an impatient person and am very passionate about the club. Like a lot of us, I often believe stuff in the media that is often bs.

Not a lot agree with me but I just think that Hodko's signature is very important for the club especially in our rebuilding stage. Without him, we are left to choose from a basket containing Robert Lui, Chris Sandow or an inexperienced junior. We will not cease if we don't sign him but it will definitely set us back a few years. Hope we get him.

I'm probably in your camp T4L - anyone that ever worked with me knows I am impatient and a control freak and that is why I don't like the silence. Yeah I know (hope) things are happening behind the scenes and the Managers are often behind all this rubbish, however I guess our recent track record in relation to other issues and the tortoise like progress makes me nervous. I just get more concerned with the quotes I read from Annesley in the article above. As I said, surely he is taking the p1ss.
I'm sure we all want the same outcome but we need to get there (finals) in 2016 not any later.
Anyway we have to deal with it. Lifeline's numbers are jammed with Parra supporters at the moment and they don't have time for us as well.

Mexican titan
24-06-15, 08:58 PM
What's more annoying?

c. Losing your left nut in a squirrel grip tackle and your right slammed in the fridge door

Takes a fair bit of thought but I have come up with the following order of annoyance:
1) b
2) e
3) d
4) a
5) c

Titanic
24-06-15, 10:38 PM
Great call MT … my order is:

c. keeping it real, love my Jatz
d. freak, I hated Friend strolling over untouched and then Thompson in the blow-out
e. why oh why can't we just wave a magic wand?
b. silence may be good but not for my heart
a. not worth losing sleep over

K2G
25-06-15, 12:50 AM
I don't watch enough super league to be completely across this guy's game, but what do people think of Richie Myler, halfback over at wigan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-vAga9p9lg

25 years old, was a teenage sensation, has now played over 100 games with rep experience ... perhaps the biggest knock against him might be that his athleticism doesn't look NRL-level, and utimatley he is not NRL tested and prooveb - but looks to have the kind of dogg-fight determination in him that drags a player (and his team) beyond their natural ability (typical of the best exports from the old dart). Seems to have all the skills required for the position.

Boonarga
25-06-15, 06:06 AM
Without him, we are left to choose from a basket containing Robert Lui, ...

Can we please stop mentioning this name in case someone gets idea's? My grandma is a better player than Lui and she's been dead for 30 years.

JunctionBlock
25-06-15, 06:28 AM
How about we take a collective deep breath and go with "No news is Good News". The club is not going to allow negotiations to be played out in the media again. If they are being upfront with any players management then, if I was in their shoes, I would be saying any rumours regarding negotiations or contract prices will be denied by the club. Take the power of gazumping away from their management and just go about your business quietly and make your announcement once the contract is registered. Point in case is no journo had the inside scoop on Nene or Chadman until they were basically on a plane. Some of this years best finds happened in the off season (Pettybourne, Paasi). We all just need to Chillax.

RenegadeGC
25-06-15, 07:24 AM
How about we take a collective deep breath and go with "No news is Good News". The club is not going to allow negotiations to be played out in the media again. If they are being upfront with any players management then, if I was in their shoes, I would be saying any rumours regarding negotiations or contract prices will be denied by the club. Take the power of gazumping away from their management and just go about your business quietly and make your announcement once the contract is registered. Point in case is no journo had the inside scoop on Nene or Chadman until they were basically on a plane. Some of this years best finds happened in the off season (Pettybourne, Paasi). We all just need to Chillax.

I couldn't agree more. Haha I'm quietly hoping we pull a NZ Warriors and the next piece if recruitment news is of us posting a photo of someone signing. Case in point Warriors Issac Luke and RTS. No media build up no hopes and dreams. Just wham bam thank you mam

mup23
25-06-15, 07:57 AM
Isaac John!

Off contract former NZ Test player who is stuck in reserve grade. Has been around for ages and is only 26. Would be great alongside Elgey and would be good value. I've cracked the code!

shamus
25-06-15, 08:12 AM
What's more annoying?

Has to be C

Titanic
25-06-15, 11:05 AM
I don't watch enough super league to be completely across this guy's game, but what do people think of Richie Myler, halfback over at wigan?
Goes all right but not for Wigan and that is Matty Smith who is the one I think we should get.

JunctionBlock
25-06-15, 11:09 AM
What's more annoying?

I'm going 'e', purely cause I've had kids, had the snip and would be OK with losing a nut if it means we get a good halves pairing for LG.

K2G
25-06-15, 11:48 AM
Goes all right but not for Wigan and that is Matty Smith who is the one I think we should get.

Whoops! *Widnes ...

Yeah, in my limited viewing I'm not as sold on Matty Smith as you are titanic. Has a solid kicking game, kicks goals, - but plays in a dinner suit in the snippets i've seen, and is made to look better than he is with the best hooker, one of the more dominant forward packs, and most gun winger in the comp all surrounding him. If we are going to take anyone from wigan (who isnt richie myler lol), my pick would be Mose Masoe - that said, what do i know...

Interesting to see top two missed tackles count in SL currently are Albert Kelly and Mark Minichello. Go Titans!

Show and Go
25-06-15, 11:57 AM
Our predicament just shows how much DCE and his bull**** has ****ed us over.

GCTTSD
25-06-15, 07:44 PM
If hodkinson goes do knights tyrone robertscould be another option?

Ausphin
25-06-15, 07:47 PM

Is Ben Hampton still available. Had a feeling he was off contract. We could do a lot worse. A young player who has been raised on the Melbourne system.

GCTTSD
25-06-15, 07:52 PM
According to zero tackle, shaun nonas off contract, ben hamptom isnt

TitanSam
25-06-15, 08:02 PM
If hodkinson goes do knights tyrone robertscould be another option? no way not him

Mexican titan
25-06-15, 08:47 PM

No way - if you can think of a bloke that's gone backwards more than him in the last few years you'll do well. Thought he may have been a top player a few years ago but hasn't and seems to get injured a bit.

Hail Sezer
25-06-15, 08:57 PM
Tyrone Roberts was literally for sale on eBay a few weeks ago. That's what knights fans think of him

Titan4Life
25-06-15, 09:06 PM
Tyrone Roberts was literally for sale on eBay a few weeks ago. That's what knights fans think of him

Ah yes. One positive is he'd come cheap and I can't see bidders fighting us for him.

http://cdn.scahw.com.au/cdn-1d08ba9486a3c00/ImageVaultFiles/id_346758/cf_7/ebay-tyrone-roberts-628.jpg

On a serious note, I did hear he has family up here and Newcastle will release him if they get Hodko, so it could be a chance.

Mexican titan
25-06-15, 09:15 PM
Ah yes. One positive is he'd come cheap and I can't see bidders fighting us for him.

http://cdn.scahw.com.au/cdn-1d08ba9486a3c00/ImageVaultFiles/id_346758/cf_7/ebay-tyrone-roberts-628.jpg

On a serious note, I did hear he has family up here and Newcastle will release him if they get Hodko, so it could be a chance.

You might be serious and he might have family here...........but NO. Let them keep him and we'll take Hodko.

Hail Sezer
26-06-15, 05:59 AM
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/david-shillington-to-join-the-titans-in-2016-on-a-two-year-deal/story-fni3grk4-1227414119719

GOLD Coast coach Neil Henry may take a younger halves option next season instead of a quick fix as the club embarks on a revolution led by the recruitment of experienced leader David Shillington.

Banned former Dally M winner Todd Carney is not on the Gold Coast’s shopping list, despite reports suggesting he was a priority target, with Henry aware the club’s reputation off the field needs as much managing as their performances on the paddock.

With Shillington filling the spot to be vacated by skipper Nate Myles next season at a far reduced price, Henry can now focus on finding a halves partner for Kane Elgey.

Canterbury halfback Trent Hodkinson remains the highest-profile off-contract halfback, while young inexperienced options could include Junior Kiwis halfback Te Maire Martin, rising Bulldogs star Moses Mbye or Brisbane’s Ashley Taylor.

However, Mbye and Taylor are both contracted for next season and are unlikely to be granted early releases from their current clubs.

Hodkinson has been strongly linked to Newcastle and there is growing concern the Titans could be left empty-handed.

“We’re talking, there are a couple of options there,’’ Henry said. “We’re certainly not in a holding pattern.

“We’re just making sure we get the decisions right and we see who is available.

“There are a couple of young halves on the market too. Some are still tied up at clubs but they could be future first-grade players here.

JunctionBlock
26-06-15, 06:33 AM
We could even be potentially looking at our halves paring when LG returns and Hoffman fills in for Sezer. Who knows?!?!?!?!?

Hail Sezer
26-06-15, 06:40 AM
“There are a couple of young halves on the market too. Some are still tied up at clubs but they could be future first-grade players here."

On the market...tied up at clubs? Does he mean that..

a) we are in talks with a contracted player seeking a release or
b) He's worded it poorly and means that some others apart from those on the market are still contracted at clubs and will be an option in say 2017

DavidBouveng
26-06-15, 11:34 AM
Tyrone was a gun year before last. he was kicking ass under bennett and helped lead them to final four position and lost to the premiers in the GF qualifier.

Everyone had a **** year last year after one of their players tragic accident. and Coach Stone doesnt seem to be doing much this year for ANYONE there. only Gagai is having a good season at the Knights, and maybe Snowden at times.

The whole club has been crap for 18 months, but just prior were on a serious upward trajectory.

i dont think we should sign Tyrone necessarily, but if you took recent form from knights into consideration, they wouldn't field a team.

and as for the ebay thing...if we were smart enough our fans would have had an ebay STORE with Myles, Zillman, Gordon, White all on continual sales.
Every teams fans are very critical of there top players. Knights also dislike Gidley, their heart and soul for the last 5 years. Roosters deathrode Minichello's last year hard. Canberra fans dislike campese so much.

Hail Sezer
04-07-15, 07:06 AM
Gold Coast Titans make an $800,000 offer to Trent Hodkinson

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2015/07/03/1227427/783319-5461de48-2184-11e5-b42c-642ce4bf4440.jpg

TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN JULY 04, 2015 12:00AM

THE Gold Coast Titans could learn as early as next week whether NSW halfback Trent Hodkinson will join the club.

The Titans are locked in negotiations with Hodkinson’s manager, David Riolo, after formally tabling a two-year $800,000 offer to the Blues No.7.

Hodkinson has become the Gold Coast’s prime target after Daly Cherry-Evans backflipped on his four-year commitment to join the Titans.

And their chances of snaring the 26-year-old’s signature increased when the Bulldogs, who are paying Hodkinson’s $500,000 this season, greatly reduced their offer.

The emergence of Moses Mbye has seen Canterbury revise its offer to $300,000-a-season in a move which shows coach Des Hasler is planning to use Mbye at halfback next season alongside club favourite Josh Reynolds.

The Titans would love to poach Mbye but the Noosa product is contracted to Canterbury next year and Hasler will not grant him a release.

Newcastle is the other club negotiating with Hodkinson but the Titans have edged ahead in the race to sign the Blues shot-caller.

Hodkinson has been in Coffs Harbour with the Blues preparing for Wednesday’s State of Origin decider at Suncorp Stadium and said he was hoping to have a decision on his future soon.

”It’s not a distraction at all,” Hodkinson said.

“It has been going on for a while now and I have just have to put it behind me and play some good footy on the field and it will look after itself.

“First and foremost I have an Origin game to prepare for and then get that sorted afterwards.

“I obviously have a couple of options out there and the Dogs (also) trying to squeeze under that salary cap.

“It is tough at all clubs, it has been a slow process but it is something I am keen to get sorted as soon as I can.

“A decision is not too far away. We were pushing to get it done before Origin but if it happens afterwards that is no drama I am focused on the game and I can’t wait.”

The Titans see Hodkinson as the perfect foil for exciting young playmaker Kane Elgey.

A left-foot kicker, Elgey could form a dynamic combination with Hodkinson who is seen as the organising type of halfback.

Elgey has missed the past month with an ankle injury but should return in Monday week’s game against Manly, and Cherry-Evans, at Cbus Super Stadium.

“We’ve got a few guys that have started running like Matt Srama, Kane Elgey, Beau Falloon and Will Zillman,” Titans physiotherapist Greg Condon said.

“They’ll have to get through a full week of training before they‘re available to play but hopefully we get a couple back in the next few weeks.”

Titans centre James Roberts yesterday received a reward for his strong form this year by being called into the NSW Origin camp.

Roberts, who has scored 14 tries in as many games this season, is purely there to gain experience.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/gold-coast-titans-make-an-800000-offer-to-trent-hodkinson/story-fnj9yd9w-1227427782816

Bayside Titan
04-07-15, 09:32 AM
Man $800k abit rich for me. Sooner spend the money on a young half , prop and secondrower.

TitanSam
04-07-15, 10:06 AM
I'm fine with 800K as long as we get him I don't mind. A young prop either Molo or Asofa-Solomona shouldn't be too hard to get 200-300K. And a backrowers we are in negotiations with, so the recruitment team has a plan set out so I'm not so worried anymore.

JunctionBlock
04-07-15, 11:05 AM
Hopefully some third party deals have been transferred over to Hodko from DCE and it's not all out of the cap.

Titanic Believer
04-07-15, 11:11 AM
Man $800k abit rich for me. Sooner spend the money on a young half , prop and secondrower.
Without a brain to guide the team a lot of up and coming forwards won't get us far. Spend big on the talent to guide the team, then train the rest to do their roles the best they can. I think this is Bellamy's philosophy.

Titanic
04-07-15, 11:12 AM
The cap is increasing incrementally anyway so that's not the worry.

Nobody has discussed this yet I think but did anybody else feel that Elgey's injury was because of an extra bit of work by the tackler on that ankle after the try had been scored? And I noticed the same injury coming from the same tackler again last weekend … just saying.

TITAN PETE
04-07-15, 12:36 PM
$800k is what you would expect to pay for a current State of Origin halfback but people shouldn't worry that figure comes out of the Titans bank account half of that figure would be 3rd party deals.

K2G
04-07-15, 12:57 PM
Our entire squad will be coming off contract in 2017 - not sure if that's a good thing or not ???
We might be the only club to not have a player (or coach) contracted now for 2018? I know contracts mean little these days, but interesting no less.

Bayside Titan
04-07-15, 01:37 PM
Without a brain to guide the team a lot of up and coming forwards won't get us far. Spend big on the talent to guide the team, then train the rest to do their roles the best they can. I think this is Bellamy's philosophy.

Mate I agree with what you say , however one angle I'm looking at it is that if Maloney was worth $700k then I think that Hodkinson would only be worth $800k As I believe that Maloney is a better player and my thought would be to go after the positions I said. For example we could go after Isaac John who has test experience to assist LG. I guess I look at Hunt at the Broncos and think the same situation for LG.
I guess also after Pete has said that some of the $800k is TPA then that gives me some comfort that we be spending a whole lot of money out of the Cap.

I guess Pete, Mdrew , HS and the others that know the juniors well can truely comment as to where the Broncos are in that they will not need to look outside to other clubs to recruit. How long will the Titans take to get to that position?

TitanSam
04-07-15, 01:53 PM
Mate I agree with what you say , however one angle I'm looking at it is that if Maloney was worth $700k then I think that Hodkinson would only be worth $800k As I believe that Maloney is a better player and my thought would be to go after the positions I said. For example we could go after Isaac John who has test experience to assist LG. I guess I look at Hunt at the Broncos and think the same situation for LG.
I guess also after Pete has said that some of the $800k is TPA then that gives me some comfort that we be spending a whole lot of money out of the Cap.

I guess Pete, Mdrew , HS and the others that know the juniors well can truely comment as to where the Broncos are in that they will not need to look outside to other clubs to recruit. How long will the Titans take to get to that position? Bro have you not seen Isaac John play before?

Hail Sezer
04-07-15, 02:01 PM
Yeah huge huge no to Isaac John

Bayside Titan
04-07-15, 02:10 PM
It was "For example" not a recommendation!! Or a cheaper option that we may get value out of.

Hail Sezer
04-07-15, 02:13 PM
It was "For example" not a recommendation!! Or a cheaper option that we may get value out of.

Hahaha sure mate I know Isaac John is the wallpaper on your computer..

Interesting that Ash Taylor is now available. We'll have a crack but i certainly think Te Maire is a better player

TitanSam
04-07-15, 02:25 PM
Hahaha sure mate I know Isaac John is the wallpaper on your computer..

Interesting that Ash Taylor is now available. We'll have a crack but i certainly think Te Maire is a better player yea I'd want Te Maire out of all of them. Isaac John hell no

RenegadeGC
04-07-15, 03:29 PM
Broncos have given Ashley Taylor permission to negotiate with other clubs. Who would you take Martin or Taylor???

TitanSam
04-07-15, 03:31 PM
Broncos have given Ashley Taylor permission to negotiate with other clubs. Who would you take Martin or Taylor??? Hodko. But if we choose to sign one of the other two to back them up then Martin

Smakked
06-07-15, 03:39 PM
What about Richie Myler from the UK , he wants to come over and test himself, 150 Games in SL played for ENgland 6 times. 25 Yo

Titanic
06-07-15, 03:54 PM
Anybody rate Jack Littlejohn?

K2G
06-07-15, 03:54 PM
What about Richie Myler from the UK , he wants to come over and test himself, 150 Games in SL played for ENgland 6 times. 25 Yo

See page 11 of this thread.

I like him. Reminds me a bit of James Maloney, but younger and more skillfull. I think he will play NRL at some point, for someone.

Manly lads will know better, but i reckon the kid can play, and has got some size too. Not sure if the halves are where he'll end up though.

Mexican titan
06-07-15, 05:14 PM

He has had few chances at nrl level and has been so so. Manly have used more blokes in the nrl this year than anyone else and have used many blokes in the halves without giving him another chance so I gather he is not setting he world on fire in the nsw cup.

teke
06-07-15, 09:05 PM
Interesting to see how this Hodko thing has panned out. I knew weeks ago he was headed to the Knights through a close mate of his. The media really like to squeeze everything out of these types of situations

DavidBouveng
06-07-15, 11:01 PM
Interesting to see how this Hodko thing has panned out. I knew weeks ago he was headed to the Knights through a close mate of his. The media really like to squeeze everything out of these types of situations

there is slight, but new discussion from some AFL coaches that player moves for following years should not be discussed, and is disrespectful to the player and current club who is paying the current wages.

i think they are right.

the fans love the speculation (actually it more likely infuriates them....but they click like crazy on those articles ), and it one of the most common page fillers for media so i don't see it changing, but i agree with those coaches. its a distraction and not fair.

JunctionBlock
07-07-15, 06:32 AM

Any idea if it was purely money, longer contract or does the club not seem attractive to NRL players?

Titanic
07-07-15, 10:25 AM
Sadly we are AAA on both Stinkopedia and in Doormatland :( amongst player managers.

karnage
07-07-15, 10:34 AM
We have dodged a bullet with Hodkinson. Three years is a very longtime to give such a limited, mediocre player. There is a 99.9% chance that the half we start next season is not as good a player as Hodko, but I'd be willing to bet that at this time next year Knights fans will be dreading the thought of 2.5 more seasons of mediocrity from Hodkinson.

JunctionBlock
07-07-15, 11:20 AM
Townsend officially signed with the Sharks. Not that anyone voted for him anyway.

Bayside Titan
07-07-15, 11:37 AM
We have dodged a bullet with Hodkinson. Three years is a very longtime to give such a limited, mediocre player. There is a 99.9% chance that the half we start next season is not as good a player as Hodko, but I'd be willing to bet that at this time next year Knights fans will be dreading the thought of 2.5 more seasons of mediocrity from Hodkinson.

Also talking to people in medicine about Hodkinsons knees needing the treatment that they did in the last year or so could be problematic in the next year or so. I think from memory he had $10k in treatments done on them and the knees could become a chronic problem in the future.

Mr Stupid
07-07-15, 01:51 PM
Also talking to people in medicine about Hodkinsons knees needing the treatment that they did in the last year or so could be problematic in the next year or so. I think from memory he had $10k in treatments done on them and the knees could become a chronic problem in the future.

And if the Blues win tomorrow he'll be Daley's walk up start for Origin next year. More club absences.

mup23
07-07-15, 02:53 PM
Sadly we are AAA on both Stinkopedia and in Doormatland :( amongst player managers.

Every manager has been on the phone with the Titans trying to get overpaid because we have cap space but the Titans know the value of everyone and are standing strong. I'd much rather this than throwing multi-million dollar 5+ year deals around out of desperation

Titanic
07-07-15, 04:42 PM
Every manager has been on the phone with the Titans trying to get overpaid because we have cap space but the Titans know the value of everyone and are standing strong. I'd much rather this than throwing multi-million dollar 5+ year deals around out of desperation
You nearly had me there except for the "we know the value and are standing strong" bit which I do not agree with ... we would have paid anything for DCE and overs for Hodkinson but they both used and rejected us (one much more than the other). That may turn out great for us but not because our guys wouldn't sign them. We are seen as desperate and we are.

Supergoose
08-07-15, 02:17 PM
Not sure $400k per year for 2 years was overs for a starting NRL halfback. I'm glad we didn't get him and I'm hoping if we sign Roberts it'll be for half that with Taylor or preferably Martin being brought in as first choice.

CanterburyMember
10-07-15, 02:00 PM
http://superleague.co.uk/article/32665/dureau-to-leave-catalans

Thoughts?

Bayside Titan
10-07-15, 02:27 PM
http://superleague.co.uk/article/32665/dureau-to-leave-catalans

Thoughts?

I think that he would be good. Plenty of experience. The SL games I have seen him play he play he has played alright. The article says he is coming back so I would think he has a deal done. Maybe Warriors or Manly.

JunctionBlock
10-07-15, 04:07 PM
I think that he would be good. Plenty of experience. The SL games I have seen him play he play he has played alright. The article says he is coming back so I would think he has a deal done. Maybe Warriors or Manly.

Give it 5 minutes, he'll be linked to the Titans.

Bayside Titan
12-07-15, 11:55 AM
What about Sam Williams from Raiders ? Has a few injuries but plays well ?? Good short kicking game.

Titan4Life
12-07-15, 12:17 PM
What about Sam Williams from Raiders ? Has a few injuries but plays well ?? Good short kicking game.
Only problem is that he isn't off contract.

Bayside Titan
12-07-15, 12:43 PM
Only problem is that he isn't off contract.

Sorry what's this "Contract " you speak of???? ;-) do they exist??

Hail Sezer
12-07-15, 03:22 PM
No thanks to Sam Williams

RenegadeGC
12-07-15, 04:17 PM
I think we shouldn't be looking at paying overs for average players. Aka Williams and all these other players that we are linked to Roberts etc. Spend the money elsewhere. Develop and build a side around LG, Mosley and Roberts etc.

teke
12-07-15, 07:41 PM
I think Redman is better than Moseley

Hail Sezer
12-07-15, 07:45 PM
I think Redman is better than Moseley

Huge call when you've seen him play 2 games

Fair though..i know the style of Hooker you prefer. Competition is healthy and I prefer Moseley personally because of the cohesion he brings to our team...everything seems so much more fluid with him there. But I do see Redman's value and with Falloon's departure inevitable, we could see a Moseley/Redman/Mortimer/Lawton battle for the hooking spots.

Getting back on topic, the Te Maire Martin > Panthers rumours were started from Brent Read reporting it on Triple M. He's pretty reliable, think we can almost cross Martin off our list, unfortunately.

TitanSam
12-07-15, 07:50 PM
Getting back on topic, the Te Maire Martin > Panthers rumours were started from Brent Read reporting it on Triple M. He's pretty reliable, think we can almost cross Martin off our list, unfortunately. :/ ah well I really liked the look of him, I'm really hoping we can lock in Ash Taylor now

K2G
13-07-15, 12:13 AM
Richie Myler signed with Catalans.

Also interesting to hear Josh Massoud suggest (https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/a/28732925/the-7th-tackle-with-josh-massoud-and-jim-wilson/?cmp=twitter) that Wayne Bennett may reserve vetoing power over Ash Taylor's release;

Manly is firming to win the race for young Broncos halfback Ash Taylor. The 20-year-old was given permission to leave Brisbane a few weeks ago, with his path to NRL stardom blocked by Anthony Milford and Ben Hunt. However, we've been told the permission is conditional upon head coach Wayne Bennett being satisfied that Taylor's next club is a good fit. Manly sources claim they've met Bennett's approval and are chasing hard for the ex-Schoolboys star to partner Daly Cherry-Evans in the halves from next season.

That doesn't bode well for us.

JunctionBlock
13-07-15, 10:49 AM
Moley's Monday Scoops

The struggle to sign boom Tigers NSW Cup halfback Te Maire Martin has taken a twist.

The Cowboys were close to signing the talented playmaker but he doesn’t want to leave Sydney.

Penrith and Manly have come in with late bids and they appear the new favourites to snare his signature.

TitanSam
13-07-15, 11:01 AM
Hopefully manly can sign him then we'll take Taylor

TITAN PETE
13-07-15, 11:16 AM
Moley's Monday Scoops

The struggle to sign boom Tigers NSW Cup halfback Te Maire Martin has taken a twist.

The Cowboys were close to signing the talented playmaker but he doesn’t want to leave Sydney.

Penrith and Manly have come in with late bids and they appear the new favourites to snare his signature.

I was told this morning Penrith has signed him

TitanSam
13-07-15, 11:23 AM
I was told this morning Penrith has signed him any more news on Ash Taylor, Pete?

Toads
13-07-15, 01:07 PM
any more news on Ash Taylor, Pete?

Ash is at 30.7%

Hail Sezer
13-07-15, 01:13 PM
Ash is at 30.7%

That's bad mail...my source says he's at 30.66 recurring, although I may run a hypothesis test to see if it falls within the rejection region and report back.

TitanSam
13-07-15, 01:22 PM
All wrong, just got mail that confirms Ash Taylor is now at 34%

toddythetitan
13-07-15, 01:24 PM
Hopefully manly sign martin so we can sign taylor

RenegadeGC
13-07-15, 02:04 PM
we wont sign Taylor or Martin... but im speculating at best.

TitanSam
13-07-15, 02:07 PM
CONFIRMED: Te Maire Martin signs with Penrith

Titanic Believer
13-07-15, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=K2G;365077]Richie Myler signed with Catalans.

Also interesting to hear Josh Massoud suggest (https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/a/28732925/the-7th-tackle-with-josh-massoud-and-jim-wilson/?cmp=twitter) that Wayne Bennett may reserve vetoing power over Ash Taylor's

This is concerning. I have a lot of respect for Bennett and the way he mentors players but if he can't give the Titans his nod of approval even though we are close, we are in big trouble. It just seems we are getting other clubs discards?

a really note worthy signing would do a lot for my morale at this stage.

Mexican titan
13-07-15, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=K2G;365077]Richie Myler signed with Catalans.

Also interesting to hear Josh Massoud suggest (https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/a/28732925/the-7th-tackle-with-josh-massoud-and-jim-wilson/?cmp=twitter) that Wayne Bennett may reserve vetoing power over Ash Taylor's

This is concerning. I have a lot of respect for Bennett and the way he mentors players but if he can't give the Titans his nod of approval even though we are close, we are in big trouble. It just seems we are getting other clubs discards?

a really note worthy signing would do a lot for my morale at this stage.

100%. I said a few days ago that if Taylor doesn't come down the road to the Titans and goes elsewhere, then some tough questions need to be asked of the club and recruitment generally. Recently a few people have suggested a few of us take a chill pill regarding our dismay at the lack of signings and see how it pans out. Well the good players continue to get snapped up and we have.....Shillington.
I don't think Taylor is really ready for NRL just yet but it would be nice to get him. The general improvement this year has been good and it would be bad news if we regress next year but that's the way it is looking at the moment.
No one seems to want to come here and we need to know why.

TitanSam
13-07-15, 05:02 PM
Does anyone remember the 'hit-list' of players we wanted to sign that was released after the DCE signing?-how many of them have we actually got? None.

Hail Sezer
13-07-15, 05:11 PM
Does anyone remember the 'hit-list' of players we wanted to sign that was released after the DCE signing?-how many of them have we actually got? None.

How many of them were actually on our hit-list?

1 or 2.

Ease up on the media initiated speculation. Stick to your "source" :laugh::rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

100%. I said a few days ago that if Taylor doesn't come down the road to the Titans and goes elsewhere, then some tough questions need to be asked of the club and recruitment generally. Recently a few people have suggested a few of us take a chill pill regarding our dismay at the lack of signings and see how it pans out. Well the good players continue to get snapped up and we have.....Shillington.
I don't think Taylor is really ready for NRL just yet but it would be nice to get him. The general improvement this year has been good and it would be bad news if we regress next year but that's the way it is looking at the moment.
No one seems to want to come here and we need to know why.

I take your points but I can't help but view this as slightly irrational. I can go through and offer a logical explanation for all of the players we missed out on and I honestly don't think it's a case of players not wanting to come here - it's them being offered better deals elsewhere. DCE, Hodko, Martin, Glenn (we were never gonna get him away if Brisbane wanted him).

We made 3 mid season signings. 3. If that isn't an active recruitment team then I don't really know what to say. All of which are in the 17 for tonight's game.

We've signed others that haven't been made public..we're targeting a bunch of others and sticking to our recruitment plan.

Happy to agree to disagree on this one - big fan of your posts MT. I beg with you - be patient!

Mexican titan
13-07-15, 05:26 PM

1 or 2.

Ease up on the media initiated speculation. Stick to your "source" :laugh::rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Mexican titan;365120]

I take your points but I can't help but view this as slightly irrational. I can go through and offer a logical explanation for all of the players we missed out on and I honestly don't think it's a case of players not wanting to come here - it's them being offered better deals elsewhere. DCE, Hodko, Martin, Glenn (we were never gonna get him away if Brisbane wanted him).

We made 3 mid season signings. 3. If that isn't an active recruitment team then I don't really know what to say. All of which are in the 17 for tonight's game.

We've signed others that haven't been made public..we're targeting a bunch of others and sticking to our recruitment plan.

Happy to agree to disagree on this one - big fan of your posts MT. I beg with you - be patient!

Yeah mate we'll just have to disagree. Without wanting to sound arrogant, my background is Manly where we usually get players we want. Your point about players getting better deals elsewhere I generally cannot accept because you essentially chase hard and get your man, otherwise you might end up with nothing. As for the three mid season signings, that's good but we need top shelf players. I am not one that gets a warm feeling when one or two young blokes make it....but we still miss the finals. We need experience but I have said that too many times now.
Always respect your posts HS and it's good to have a debate about this. Patience is indeed a virtue and I am quite honest when I say that I am not a patient person.

Titan4Life
13-07-15, 08:51 PM

1 or 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I noticed it HS :) You know something mate? haha

JunctionBlock
14-07-15, 06:50 AM
What worried me the most about the lack of Halves signings is when Henry made a specific, off topic comment at an after match press conference regarding never offering Maloney a deal. For that comment to be made it indicated to me that we are struggling to sign big names as there is a perception (be it real or media invented) that people don't want to come here. The only light at the end of the tunnel is that Canberra were in the same boat two years ago.

Titanic
14-07-15, 10:36 AM
Put it into prespective.

If you use Brisbane as an example; what process have they gone through to get a half's pairing since Lockyer and even before? Just list them off. However, the rest of the team stayed on structure and still won more than they lost. And now the questions:

1. How many origin players do they have? Not many but granted more than us.
2. Is their current pairing firing every week? No they are not, yet Milford is improving but he's hardly more than a 50%-er right now and they are top of the table.
3. Do their coaches laugh when getting smashed at halftime?
4. Do their captains laugh at the incredible number of errors made each week?

Our problem is compounded by not having the best half's pairing in the comp but the root of the problem is points 3 and 4 which is the problem with the Titans specifically and the Gold Coast generally, imho. We are just not professional enough.

My solution: get all the deadwood and deadbeats out.

Also why use half's and not halves: (1) half's is short for halfbacks (more than one), therefor an apostrophe "s", and (2) they are not two 'halves' of a whole, the half's are a combination of a halfback and a 5/8 (or standoff if you're a Pommie or non-existant if you're a Titan).

JunctionBlock
14-07-15, 07:47 PM
Just read an article regarding Tyrone Roberts. Claims he's on $385K a year. So to put that into perspective, we went as high as $400K for the incumbent NSW half but this guy COULD (lets not kid ourselves, he ain't coming here for $100k a year, hopefully not at all) come here for close to the same money? WTF???

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/knights-halfback-tyrone-roberts-says-trent-hodkinson-wont-take-his-jersey-easily/story-fnp0lyn3-1227440442123

One thing I thought was funny is how similar the interview sounded to Mortimer when LG hit the scene.

Titan4Life
14-07-15, 07:52 PM
Just read an article regarding Tyrone Roberts. Claims he's on $385K a year. So to put that into perspective, we went as high as $400K for the incumbent NSW half but this guy COULD (lets not kid ourselves, he ain't coming here for $100k a year, hopefully not at all) come here for close to the same money? WTF???

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/knights-halfback-tyrone-roberts-says-trent-hodkinson-wont-take-his-jersey-easily/story-fnp0lyn3-1227440442123

One thing I thought was funny is how similar the interview sounded to Mortimer when LG hit the scene.

Mate just to clarify, I also thought that the Hodkinson deal was 400k per year but it was actually 800k a year for 2 years.

Hail Sezer
14-07-15, 08:50 PM
Mate just to clarify, I also thought that the Hodkinson deal was 400k per year but it was actually 800k a year for 2 years.

You sure..? I'm certain it was 400k p/yr.

Titan4Life
14-07-15, 09:00 PM
You sure..? I'm certain it was 400k p/yr.

Actually no my mistake. The Triple M article said 800k a year for 2 years but they edited it to 400k a year since I last viewed it.

Hail Sezer
14-07-15, 09:07 PM
Actually no my mistake. The Triple M article said 800k a year for 2 years but they edited it to 400k a year since I last viewed it.

No worries mate, you're usually pretty spot on with your research so I was hesitant to post that haha

Titan4Life
14-07-15, 09:25 PM
No worries mate, you're usually pretty spot on with your research so I was hesitant to post that haha

Not to sure about that but I'll take the compliment haha :D

teke
15-07-15, 01:53 AM
(2) they are not two 'halves' of a whole, the half's are a combination of a halfback and a 5/8 (or standoff if you're a Pommie or non-exisnt if you're a Titan).You sure they're not 2 halves of a what is universally accepted as "the playmakers" :)