PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Titans Captain

DIEHARD
14-05-15, 10:42 AM
Who should be Titans captain?

I was going to make a poll but really there aren't many candidates!

DIEHARD
14-05-15, 10:43 AM
My vote definitely is DCE.

He has the leadership skills and we need a fresh start. It'd be like being a new club again.

Davis13
14-05-15, 10:53 AM
Zillman coach, captain, ceo

JunctionBlock
14-05-15, 10:59 AM
Guiding us around the park, sitting next to the coach for press conferences, poster boy for the Titans in 2016. It has to be DCE.

nimud
14-05-15, 11:08 AM
Luke Douglas - plays tough; plays for 80 minutes, and never gets injured.

Will most likely be either Greg Bird (if he's not in gaol) or Zillman (lifetime contract)

Toads
14-05-15, 11:21 AM
There can only be one.. Timba.

Titanic
14-05-15, 12:08 PM
Douglas and DCE as co-captains.

As for Zillman? what is it that lumberjacks call when they fell large trees .... Timbaaaaaaaaa ... I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay ...

Mr Stupid
14-05-15, 02:05 PM
:laugh:
Douglas and DCE as co-captains.

As for Zillman? what is it that lumberjacks call when they fell large trees .... Timbaaaaaaaaa ... I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay ...

:laugh:

kioli
14-05-15, 03:50 PM
I'd be very surprised if it's not DCE.

Hail Sezer
14-05-15, 03:58 PM
loling so hard at all the Timba references

GCTTSD
14-05-15, 04:16 PM
It has to be the horse whisperer without a doubt

NSW Titan
15-05-15, 09:31 AM
Give it to Douglas for 2 or 3 years then promote James or Elgey to captain if they are still with us, it will most likely be dce or Zillman though, if Sezer was staying id pick him

DIEHARD
16-05-15, 05:34 PM
So Titanic, you back the concept of Co-Captains? Just curious on your view.

Douglas is a good suggestion as captain.

Boonarga
16-05-15, 10:31 PM
We all saw Douglas at the toss for the extra time tonight right?
Captain? hahaha

Titanic
16-05-15, 10:32 PM
No mate, I don't but I can't see how the club can appoint a new recruit as sole captain although DCE could make and argument and Douglas stands out as a member of the older guard.

shamus
17-05-15, 08:46 AM
We all saw Douglas at the toss for the extra time tonight right?
Captain? hahaha

I had my ears on listening to the refs and it was slightly embarrassing... The refs had a giggle at Douglas's expense when he walked away.

TITAN PETE
17-05-15, 08:47 AM
I think it will be a definate no for Dougy to be Captain next season after last nights efforts & maybe if DCE isn't the sole captain & we look at co captains I wouldn't mind given James a shot his game is improving 2nd to none this season & I'm sure a "C" or "VC" next to his name will help him even further

DIEHARD
17-05-15, 01:44 PM
No mate, I don't but I can't see how the club can appoint a new recruit as sole captain although DCE could make and argument and Douglas stands out as a member of the older guard.

Well I guess when our culture stocks and culture are at a low watermark, it is a lot easier to bring someone else in. Especially someone who is a Kangaroo, Maroon and Premiership winner.

Titanic
18-05-15, 12:15 AM
You're probably right but it shows how poor we really are when the best we can roll out is 'poopy draws'.

Chaserz
18-05-15, 03:42 AM
Poopy draws? That's rather an understatement. If it wasn't for Sezer leaving, I'd pick him. As for Dougy - no.

DIEHARD
28-08-15, 01:06 AM
Greg Bird’s Gold Coast Titans captaincy hinges on upcoming court case
http://www.couriermail.com.au/

GREG Bird’s dreams of regaining the Gold Coast captaincy hinge on the outcome of his court case.

Bird has deputised as a stand-in skipper four times this season while regular captain Nate Myles has been sidelined.

The 31-year-old was strip*ped of the co-captaincy he shared with Myles for two seasons in December after being caught urinating in public.

Coach Neil Henry experimented with Ryan James and Luke Douglas in place of Myles but reverted to Bird in recent weeks.

Bird has made clear his *desire to captain the Titans next season when Myles heads to Manly and the duty clearly brings out the best in the *Origin star on the field.

But his chances depend on whether he can clear his name after being charged with *cocaine offences in February.

Bird and his four Titans teammates — Beau Falloon, David Taylor, Jamie Dowling and Kalifa Faifai Loa — will have their cases mentioned on October 7.

Henry said the outcome would prove pivotal to Bird’s chances of leading the team.

“The key to Greg will be the off-field court case,” Henry told Fox Sports.

Titans coach Neil Henry is looking forward to clearing his club’s decks.
“We need a resolution and so do all the players involved for their own careers. Hopefully we get a resolution this year.

“If we can do that and it goes the way we hope it does and there are no charges, then certainly he comes into the mix.

“The board have made a clear stance on it. Until there’s a resolution to the whole thing then that won’t be a possibility.

“I can see their point of view. It doesn’t diminish me using him as an on-field leader.”

A five-person disciplinary committee decided to strip Bird of the duty in December and the club’s board will ultimately decide whether he is fit to lead the team again.

Titans chairwoman Rebecca Frizelle said the issue wouldn’t be discussed until the court case had been resolved.

“The board made its position very clear when it handed down its penalty to Greg following the Byron Bay incident,” she said. “Given the matters still pending before the courts, the board’s decision remains unchanged.”

The Titans are suffering a void in leadership personnel as Henry rebuilds his team.

Bird suffered what was thought to be a season-ending quad injury against Canberra last Sunday and will miss this weekend’s game against *St George Illawarra.

TITAN PETE
28-08-15, 07:06 AM
I beleive the captain needs to be on the field for the 80 minutes & I think the maturity that LG has shown this season says to me he has what is needed to be our captain for many years to come

GCTTSD
28-08-15, 08:31 AM
I believe bird should be captain for the next couple of years while elgey gains more experience. I dont know if elgey would be ready for the captaincy now but definitely in the future he is the guy wee need to build our team around

K2G
08-10-15, 11:09 PM
Greg Bird cleared of drug charges, eyes Gold Coast Titans captaincy
TRAVIS MEYN | The Courier-Mail (http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/greg-bird-cleared-of-drug-charges-eyes-gold-coast-titans-captaincy/story-fniabrr8-1227562514610)

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/2802e03cd5bcc868394f22a73f5d9bf8?width=650

GREG Bird says he would be “honoured” to captain the Gold Coast Titans again after the NSW Origin enforcer had cocaine charges thrown out of court.

Bird joined former Titans teammates Beau Falloon, Ashley Harrison and Kalifa Faifai Loa in having their charges dismissed in Southport Magistrates Court, nearly eight months after the scandal emerged.

The 31-year-old underwent surgery on his wrists this week but has wasted no time in setting his sights on regaining the leadership of the club that resurrected his career in 2010.

Bird co-captained the Titans alongside Nate Myles in 2013-14 before having the duty stripped when he was caught urinating in public in December last year.

He only managed a handful of games this year due to injury and suspension but the 212-game NRL veteran is determined to replace the Manly-bound Myles as captain.

“Captaincy is not something you can ever expect to be simply given,” Bird told The Courier-Mail.

“It’s something you must earn.

“I love the club and if those in control deem I am the best person again to lead the players on the field then I would be honoured to do so.”

Bird has never shied away from his desire to be captain and the responsibility clearly brings out the best of the tough forward given he was crowned the club’s player of the year in 2013, his first season in charge.

Coach Neil Henry is a fan of Bird’s on-field tenacity and competitiveness while the playing group has noticed a positive shift in his training, off-field standards and approach to the game this year.

Rookie halfback Kane Elgey said Bird’s teammates viewed him as a leader.

“We’ve always seen him as our natural leader anyway, regardless of whether he’s our captain,” Elgey said.

Henry experimented with Ryan James and Luke Douglas as captains throughout the season and the duo was even used on club promotional material.

But his preference to use Bird in the back end of the year while Myles was injured showed just how highly the coach rates him as a leader.

Bird’s biggest challenge will be convincing the club’s board he is the right man to lead it into a new era and CEO Graham Annesley said captaincy candidates hadn’t been discussed.

“That’s a matter that hasn’t even been considered,” he said.

“The players are on leave and it doesn’t need to be addressed until early in the new year. It’s far too early to speculate on what Neil’s views about captaincy might be.”

The Titans begin pre-season training on November 2 and Henry is unlikely to make an appointment until well into the preparation.

Titanic
09-10-15, 12:49 AM
Wouldn't get my vote if he was the last man standing.

teke
09-10-15, 04:48 AM
Same, I'd give captain and vice captain to the men out of Elgey Dougie Mead

JunctionBlock
09-10-15, 07:10 AM
He gets my vote. I can't think of anyone else in the team that has the capability to be captain. He plays better football when he is given the role. Only thing that needs to be sorted out is Elgey taking control of calling plays so that Bird doesn't pull a "Gallen" and stifle the play when we try and go wide.

ozynorts
09-10-15, 07:51 AM
He had his chance and pissed it up against the gutter, literally, so no thanks to Bird. He has had more chances than anybody at this club to sort his ****e out but has proven time and again that he is not smart enough to realise his opportunities.
His on field leadership is not the best either. He flat out abuses referees and then can't understand why we lose the penalty count, he is a play killing ball hog and over calls plays that stifle those around him.

Toads
09-10-15, 08:01 AM
Same, I'd give captain and vice captain to the men out of Elgey Dougie Mead

Those are definitely good choices for Vice Captains, but depending how Friendy comes through pre-season training, I'd be inclined to throw his name into the ring for the Captaincy at this stage.

As for Birdy, it'd be best if he stopped dreaming..

TITAN PETE
09-10-15, 08:53 AM
Co Caprains may be the way to go again & I'm not referring to Bird/Myles era more like when Prince & Bails were running the show

Douglas/LG
Douglas/Mead

Friend/LG
Friend/Mead

James/LG
James/Mead

Every Match we will not have one of the forwards (apart from maybe Friendy) on the park throughout the 80min whereas baring injury the backs will be there for the full 80.

NSW Titan
09-10-15, 09:24 AM
Nathan friend for captain but is it really worth putting him there if he's only gonna be here one year...

Mexican titan
09-10-15, 09:28 AM
He had his chance and pissed it up against the gutter, literally, so no thanks to Bird. He has had more chances than anybody at this club to sort his ****e out but has proven time and again that he is not smart enough to realise his opportunities.
His on field leadership is not the best either. He flat out abuses referees and then can't understand why we lose the penalty count, he is a play killing ball hog and over calls plays that stifle those around him.

Spot on with everything you say Ozy....but who do you suggest. I also agree with the posts of JB, Toads and Pete.
I hadn't thought of Friend until Toads raised it and reckon he would do well. However it is his first year back and although players are supposedly tough, they seem to get easily offended when it comes to management issues. So to keep the peace I would probably lean towards the co- captain option of Douglas/LG, not that I like the idea of co-captains.
Ozy is right with his comments about Bird. In addition to the drugs thing (and he should be out buying lottery tickets for getting off that) the other things should rule him out.

JunctionBlock
09-10-15, 09:32 AM
I just don't see Douglas as Captain material. He's very quiet and goes about his own business on the field. LG as a vice or co-captain would be good considering we are building around him and he will hopefully be around for longer than two years. If Mead was at fullback then I would feel comfortable with that but realistically he's going to be on the wing. James had the captaincy for a portion of last season and didn't inspire me to say give it to him full time, he also seemed to have lost it to Birdy in the latter part of the season.

Goes to show how good we are going when no one is a stand out for captain material.

Zillman? :helpme:

Toads
09-10-15, 09:49 AM
Nathan friend for captain but is it really worth putting him there if he's only gonna be here one year...

I think so, because there'd be every chance Elgey would probably take it over from 2017. Friendy would hopefully be a mentor/seat warmer of the Captaincy for next year alone. But still, a bit early to call like mentioned in the article on the previous page.

ozynorts
09-10-15, 10:27 AM
Spot on with everything you say Ozy....but who do you suggest. I also agree with the posts of JB, Toads and Pete.
I hadn't thought of Friend until Toads raised it and reckon he would do well. However it is his first year back and although players are supposedly tough, they seem to get easily offended when it comes to management issues. So to keep the peace I would probably lean towards the co- captain option of Douglas/LG, not that I like the idea of co-captains.
Ozy is right with his comments about Bird. In addition to the drugs thing (and he should be out buying lottery tickets for getting off that) the other things should rule him out.

That is really the problem here isn't it. We haven't had real leadership in the playing group for years and now we have no stand out as captain for next year.
Bird was given the job after "showing" he had come good after the whole glassing thing. He repaid that faith by committing another off field unsavoury incident and has forfeited any claims he thinks he might have.
Friend is the only realistic option for me. Those that say he is only here for one year seem to forget that he is a foundation member of this club and has served his dues and this would be the perfect way to send him off. Hodges was only captain of the Bronco's for one year.......
At this stage I wouldn't give Elgey a VC role purely to remove that pressure from him and allow him to mature as a first grader. 2nd year syndrome anyone... He would be in the leadership group though learning from Friend about the standards required to be a professional footballer and captain.
We would need a VC and to me that is the harder one to pick. No to Bird, Zillman, and James.(needs to get his aggression under control first and get more consistency)

gcboyz
09-10-15, 10:47 AM
The selection of captain must be part of our rebuilding process. We need to make a statement to the NRL, our sponsors, our fans, and the wider Rugby League community. This is an area where we must employ a "no ********s" policy.

For me, I would be delighted to see Friendy given the honour. We have him signed for a year, but that might extend to two.

Mead, Zillman and James as candidates for VC.

Let us not pile any pressure on the young guns yet, their time will come.

K2G
09-10-15, 11:06 AM
I think, whether we like it or not, the players themselves should determine who the leaders and captains are amongst the group - not us, or the coach. Making that call based on what we see just isn't enough. Who do the young blokes look up to in terms of their footy careers? who stands up during the countless hours of gruelling pre season training, who does the young bloke call when he has some off field issues and needs to talk to an old head, or who puts an arm around the young bloke / pulls him aside to give him advice or push him forward with a few words of experience? - they're things we're not privy to that are ultimately crucial in such a decision. The players will respond better to some than they do to others. I can see Bird beating Friendy out in this capacity.

I agree with ozynorts that LG should be given at least another year without the responsibility - but it's only natural that the team will start looking to him to lead them, perhaps before he is ready to do it. Without a doubt, the heir apparent.

Should Bird be re-appointed (which I personally have no qualms with), he definitely needs to spend some time watching vision of blokes like Cam Smith communicating with the reffs though. Deadset liability in that regard.

IpswichTitans
09-10-15, 11:18 AM
Give it to LG so he doesn't leave!

shamus
09-10-15, 11:24 AM
Wouldn't get my vote if he was the last man standing.

Well you could but he wouldn't have anyone to bark orders at..

ozynorts
09-10-15, 11:48 AM
I think, whether we like it or not, the players themselves should determine who the leaders and captains are amongst the group
Hmmm I see what you are saying but don't know if I agree. The coaches see these guys every day and see who "leads" the team around BUT they must also have as captain someone who can see the bigger picture.You may have a guy that the team looks up to and follow anywhere, but he might not be the right candidate because he only thinks of himself. Wests Tigers anyone?

Titanic
09-10-15, 12:46 PM
I certainly can see Friend or even Friend/Mead getting the big (c) and Elgey as primary playmaker gets the calls anyway without having the added responsibility thrust onto a player who is still a rookie.

What I can't see is Bird ever taking instructions from anyone, certainly not Elgey, and that will be our biggest issue in 2016. I like James 50% of the time and he hasn't demonstrated any of the requisite attributes to be a captain except being local which is just not enough.

Well you could but he wouldn't have anyone to bark orders at..So absolutely correct but I still wouldn't, he's just an aging dill who didn't have coke at his bucks party nor pee on police car ... bwahahahaha.

DIEHARD
09-10-15, 01:49 PM
Make Friend captain.

DIEHARD
09-10-15, 01:54 PM
Gold Coast Titans founding father Paul Broughton sees Greg Bird as club leader
http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/

TITANS founding father Paul Broughton says this year’s drug saga won’t define Greg Bird and that the Origin enforcer can return to a leadership role at the club.

Bird’s drug supply charges were thrown out in court yesterday along with those of former player Ashley Harrison and 2015 Titans Kal*ifa Faifai Loa and Beau Falloon.

The prosecution’s case was built on text and phone conversations between alleged cocaine kingpin John Touma and Bird last year, in which he referred to an order of “Grange”.

The order for the expensive red wine was alleged to be a code for a cocaine order.

But Chief Magistrate Chris Callaghan yesterday said he did not believe the prosecution would be able to convince a jury in “any way, shape or form” based on the evidence presented.

Other former Titans Dave Taylor, Joe Vickery and Jamie Dowling have been committed to stand trial.

It ended a tortuous year for the 31-year-old Bird, who was stood down for two NRL games after being caught up in the alleged drug ring.

Bird then missed club games and the Origin series due to an eight-match suspension for a lifting tackle on Kiwi winger Jason Nightingale while playing for Australia.

But Broughton said the drug saga that has plagued Bird this year would only make the back-rower better.

“I actually believe it won’t define him and he will go on to do great things from here,” Broughton said.

“I’m sure that he will emerge from it as a much stronger person.”

Broughton said not only did Bird deserve to play out the remaining two years on his contract, which the club has said he will do, but backed him to be the Titans leading man next season after the departure of Nate Myles to Manly.

“He is a born leader and I think he should be captain,” Broughton said.

“He is entitled to get back on the football field and be the player that he is.”

Bird acted as vice-captain when Myles was injured for parts of this season and was previously co-captain before being stripped of the title after being caught urinating in public in December.

Bird said yesterday he would be honoured to captain the Titans if called upon.

“Captaincy is not something you can ever expect to be simply given,” Bird said. “It’s something you must earn.

“I love the club and if those in control deem I am the best person again to lead the players on the field then I would be honoured to do so.”

Coach Neil Henry is a fan of Bird’s on-field tenacity and competitiveness while the playing group has noticed a positive shift in his training, off-field standards and approach to the game this year.

Rookie halfback Kane Elgey said Bird’s teammates viewed him as a leader.

“We’ve always seen him as our natural leader anyway, regardless of whether he’s our captain,” Elgey said.

DIEHARD
09-10-15, 01:56 PM
Co Caprains may be the way to go again & I'm not referring to Bird/Myles era more like when Prince & Bails were running the show

Douglas/LG
Douglas/Mead

Friend/LG
Friend/Mead

James/LG
James/Mead

Every Match we will not have one of the forwards (apart from maybe Friendy) on the park throughout the 80min whereas baring injury the backs will be there for the full 80.

Good options.

Bayside Titan
09-10-15, 02:51 PM

Douglas/LG
Douglas/Mead

Friend/LG
Friend/Mead

James/LG
James/Mead

These would be my hopes. No to having Bird as Captain if the Titans are trying to wash away the 2015 year.

ozynorts
09-10-15, 04:31 PM

It is this sentence that worries me. So he was a lazy trainer? Party animal?
I like what Bird brings to the game with his effort and aggression but his leadership IMO is lacking.

- - - Updated - - -

Friend and Mead sounds good.

JunctionBlock
09-10-15, 05:42 PM
I like what Bird brings to the game with his effort and aggression but his leadership IMO is lacking.

- - - Updated - - -

Friend and Mead sounds good.

I read that as he realised what he has done and he is trying to make amends. While he was stood down and whilst he sat out for 8 weeks he could have switched off like Myles and done nothing. Instead he tried to do everything he could off the field cause he wasn't allowed on the field.

Titan4Life
10-10-15, 09:38 PM
Bird should be captain. We need a leader who talks on the field and leads by example in his work ethic.

Just needs to sort his off field stuff out.

DIEHARD
11-10-15, 02:49 PM

That's a good point.

Titan4Life
22-01-16, 02:13 PM
So what's everyone's opinion on this now?

My thoughts are that since we are trying to rebuild our franchise and clear our name we should appoint Douglas as the captain. However I'm sure Bird will still be an on field leader and talk the boys up.

Just think that Dougie is a better face for the club and Bird can do his leading on the field.

Barrels
22-01-16, 02:18 PM
So what's everyone's opinion on this now?

My thoughts are that since we are trying to rebuild our franchise and clear our name we should appoint Douglas as the captain. However I'm sure Bird will still be an on field leader and talk the boys up.

Just think that Dougie is a better face for the club and Bird can do his leading on the field.

Couldn't agree more. Make douglas the face of the club but let birdie talk the boys up.

patskE
22-01-16, 02:52 PM
I Like douglas but he doesn't scream captain to me, plus he is off half of the game. Bird also gets suspended too much, if he goes a year without I would think about it next year, also he has to stop those weak dives he does. its a hard one... I would have LG as captain in a year or two but there are only a handful of players in our team atm who could. Zillman, Bird, Douglas and james... Not sure if I would want any of them as captain personally.
Thinking bird as it might help him clam down and take ownership.

Titan4Life
22-01-16, 03:49 PM
I Like douglas but he doesn't scream captain to me, plus he is off half of the game. Bird also gets suspended too much, if he goes a year without I would think about it next year, also he has to stop those weak dives he does. its a hard one... I would have LG as captain in a year or two but there are only a handful of players in our team atm who could. Zillman, Bird, Douglas and james... Not sure if I would want any of them as captain personally.
Thinking bird as it might help him clam down and take ownership.

Don't know if that last bit is correct..remember when he was captain in 2014 and he ended up urinating in public on his wedding day.

Douglas isn't a talker but he is a cleanskin and would be the perfect face of our club and eventually we can give it to LG or James. We are in the start of trying to clear our bad image.

While I do love Birdy it is unfortunate that he always seems to stuff up. If we do give him captain he has to be on his last chance. Because him as the face of our club doesn't make us look like a clean club.

I would go:
Douglas - off field captain who represents us in the media etc
Bird - on field leadership role to fire up the boys and lead by example

GCTTSD
22-01-16, 03:54 PM
How long has friend got left? I reckon he would be a goot short term option

NSW Titan
22-01-16, 03:59 PM
What about mead? Mead or friendy imo

Titanic
23-01-16, 01:54 PM
Mead will be picked in every game, never gets replaced or suspended, has a very good reputation and can lead by example but can he talk? He would get my vote just in front of Douglas.

Manzo
23-01-16, 01:58 PM
captain needs to play 80min i think-- mead would be great

i personally wouldnt mind birdy

teke
23-01-16, 02:50 PM
Mead will be picked in every game, never gets replaced or suspended, has a very good reputation and can lead by example but can he talk? He would get my vote just in front of Douglas.I've heard him say pass me the *** ball, shift it right about 2 mill times a game.

ozynorts
23-01-16, 04:19 PM
I have said it before but my issue with Bird is his on field interaction with the referees. Good captains talk to the refs, he yells at them.. We won't win any penalty counts with him as captain. His individual play as captain is outstanding but a captain is more than that. A good captain is someone who the referees respect on a team and I don't think he is viewed that way by officials.
Give it to Friend with Bird as vc might work.

Titanic
23-01-16, 08:54 PM
I've heard him say pass me the *** ball, shift it right about 2 mill times a game.That's my point, hardly effective sadly ... maybe getting the (c) would help that.

TITAN PETE
14-02-16, 10:14 AM
Co Captains it is again , the Work Horse & the Horse Whisperer :thumbsup:

Bayside Titan
14-02-16, 10:18 AM
Co Captains it is again , the Work Horse & the Horse Whisperer :thumbsup:

So Douglas and Timba?

TitanSam
14-02-16, 10:20 AM
Co Captains it is again , the Work Horse & the Horse Whisperer :thumbsup: Dougie and Zill? I'm allright with Dougie but how Zillman gets the captaincy let alone start in the 17 is beyond me. Friend would've been the best option in my opinion.

TITAN PETE
14-02-16, 10:25 AM
There's only one Work Horse in my eyes & it's not Douglas :eyebrows:

Bayside Titan
14-02-16, 10:46 AM
There's only one Work Horse in my eyes & it's not Douglas :eyebrows:

Got it.

Titanic
14-02-16, 12:53 PM
Co Captains it is again , the Work Horse & the Horse Whisperer :thumbsup:co-captains suck and Zillman just doesn't cut it :(

Toads
14-02-16, 03:52 PM
... he really shines at training though.

teke
14-02-16, 04:54 PM
@&$( off Zillman

JunctionBlock
14-02-16, 07:00 PM
I'll start by asking, is this confirmed? and secondly, Is this serious?

DavidBouveng
14-02-16, 07:53 PM
my biggest problem with TTP being co captain is that it gives me concern that next year we might...god do i have to say it... re sign him.

If we were thinking of moving him on, we wouldn't be making him co captain surely.

Toads
14-02-16, 09:02 PM
Now you're scaring me, DB. *faints*

JunctionBlock
14-02-16, 09:13 PM
my biggest problem with TTP being co captain is that it gives me concern that next year we might...god do i have to say it... re sign him.

If we were thinking of moving him on, we wouldn't be making him co captain surely.

Nobody panic, we didn't re-sign last years captain. There is still hope.

teke
14-02-16, 09:34 PM
Nobody panic, we didn't re-sign last years captain. There is still hope.Probably still offered Myles a contract though.

Anything offered to Zilly will probably be accepted by him

DavidBouveng
15-02-16, 06:09 PM
Nobody panic, we didn't re-sign last years captain. There is still hope.

very true.

TITAN PETE
15-02-16, 10:16 PM
I'll start by asking, is this confirmed? and secondly, Is this serious?

Not confirmed in print but it's true

Bayside Titan
15-02-16, 10:29 PM
Not confirmed in print but it's true

Well I will be 50% happy with the captains.

DavidBouveng
15-02-16, 10:54 PM
just to be clear, is the work horse dougie?

teach me how to dougie, teach me teach me how to dougie

Titan4Life
17-02-16, 04:28 PM
Titan Pete you were 100% correct.

@badel_cmail: Breaking: titans tipped to unveil will zillman and nathan friend as co captains. Greg bird snubbed

Show and Go
17-02-16, 04:41 PM
Zillman FFS. What a joke.

Titan4Life
17-02-16, 05:28 PM
I'm just gonna leave my judgements until we see the team play. Not happy with Zillman being named but who knows maybe it will bring the best out of him :ugh:

Boonarga
17-02-16, 07:48 PM
This obviously means that Henry will be running Zillman out onto the field every week. Next, a new 5 year contract.

Titanic
17-02-16, 08:01 PM
Zillman an NRL first grader? Not in a million, zillion years ... and captain, you've got to be joking :(

Toads
17-02-16, 08:13 PM
Dunno whether to laugh or cry..

Though I am pleased Friendy got it over Birdy.

JunctionBlock
17-02-16, 09:15 PM
Well at least I have an answer when the membership people call back. This just shows how out of touch and disconnected from this community the Titans are. NFI.

TITAN PETE
17-02-16, 09:48 PM
Titan Pete you were 100% correct.

@badel_cmail: Breaking: titans tipped to unveil will zillman and nathan friend as co captains. Greg bird snubbed

Why would you doubt me :eyebrows:

Mr Stupid
19-02-16, 11:54 AM
THE MEDDLER FEBRUARY 18, 2016 9:42 AM

Yesterday’s co-captaincy announcement by the Gold Coast Titans is a victory for common sense, for the entire Titans supporter base and most importantly, for the Meddler!!

That’s right folks, it may be a little selfish but by Joey, I’ve been working harder than James Roberts’ contract lawyers for the last few seasons to bring to light the path of common sense that the Titans need to begin to trudge down.

After almost two years of stories about all the absolutely inept business, strategic and team decisions the Titans have made in recent years, finally someone at Robina has listened.

Finally, the path of sense, team, club, culture and community has been chosen.

It is indeed a joyous week to love footy on the Gold Coast.

For those of you who haven’t heard, Titans coach Neil Henry announced this week that returning club legend Nathan Friend and long-serving custodian Will Zillman (aka Reverse-Benjamin Button) are to be the Titans co-captains for the 2016 season.

But I can’t take all the credit for helping the Titans bigwigs come to their collective senses regarding the building of inspirational, sustainable club/regional sporting culture.

Well I can, but I probably shouldn’t.

This is a big win for Titans fans.

We’ve picked two cleanskins.

Sure they aren’t the most inspirational players and yeh, maybe they are a few seasons past winning games of footy off their own brilliance (would love to be proven wrong though this season!).

But what they are is safe.

They are two players who are more likely to help a nanna across a pedestrian crossing than drunkenly stumble onto her front lawn and urinate on (sorry Greg, near) her car.

They are both also unlikely to be there in 2018, when the likes of Taylor and Elgey are at the peak of their prodigious powers winning Gold Coast hearts and minds with that little (C) next to their names on the team sheet. .

It is a safe interim option that has succession plan written all over it.

All round, it is just plain smart.

This latest decision from Titans HQ represents (hopefully) a dramatic shift in thinking that could indicate the club is finally starting to grasp how to play in the big leagues.

And with that in mind we here at the Meddler wish to do something we’ve not done in almost two whole years and say a big, loud and unequivocal WELL DONE to the Gold Coast Titans.

The Meddler

Titanic
19-02-16, 02:09 PM
Titanic marketing strategy following:

C'mon you pussies, register for our Fantasy and Tipping comps http://www.leagueoftitans.com.au/images/smilies/frown.png and http://www.leagueoftitans.com.au/images/smilies/smile.png ... ya friggin' sheilas!