PDA

View Full Version : Bird misses 8 weeks

timor 2
06-05-15, 08:00 PM
Titans back-rower Greg Bird was tonight unsuccessful in having his dangerous throw charge downgraded.

This means he will miss eight NRL matches, not returning until the round 19 clash with Newcastle Knights. It also puts Bird out for the entire State of Origin series.

Bird was charged with a grade two dangerous throw from his tackle in last Sunday's Test match on Kiwi winger Jason Nightingale.

Bird appeared before the NRL judicary panel this evening with Jim Hall as his legal representative and argued that the tackle should have been downgraded to a grade one. However the panel upheld the original charge.

Head coach Neil Henry, who accompanied Bird to Sydney for the hearing, said:

“We are obviously very disappointed at the outcome, we thought we mounted a strong case for a downgrade from a grade 2 to grade 1, and had evidence to prove that but unfortunately that wasn’t the case with the judiciary.

"As a club we are very disappointed to lose the services of Greg for an extended period of time now but we accept we had a fair hearing in there.”

TITAN PETE
06-05-15, 08:06 PM
Time to get used to footy life without Bird.. Who wants the jersey, I'm willing to back Burr

Bayside Titan
06-05-15, 08:10 PM
Yeah I think if we keep developing Burr or Robinson they could both do a great job.

JunctionBlock
06-05-15, 08:19 PM
Tell Kevin Gordon he's playing lock until he signs with the Cowboys.

TITAN PETE
06-05-15, 08:22 PM
Tell Kevin Gordon he's playing lock until he signs with the Cowboys.

Why he's doing a great job for Burliegh & he's their highest paid player

Titan4Life
06-05-15, 08:33 PM
Time to get used to footy life without Bird.. Who wants the jersey, I'm willing to back Burr

Ridge is close to being back as well so he is another option but until he returns Burr definitely gets the nod for me. Is getting better as the weeks go on.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously though, I am having trouble understanding how Birdy got 8 weeks but Josh Reynolds, who is a proven scumbag, only gets 1 for his third tripping charge. Surely his carry over points must be loaded up as well especially with speartackles thrown on top of the trips?

Mexican titan
06-05-15, 08:42 PM
Ridge is close to being back as well so he is another option but until he returns Burr definitely gets the nod for me. Is getting better as the weeks go on.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously though, I am having trouble understanding how Birdy got 8 weeks but Josh Reynolds, who is a proven scumbag, only gets 1 for his third tripping charge. Surely his carry over points must be loaded up as well especially with speartackles thrown on top of the trips?

I might be wrong mate but I think the loadings are for similar offences. For example you don't get loadings for trips then added to dangerous throws. Bird was in more trouble as he had three similar offences in the last year or so. You are considered dumb if you keep going to the judiciary for the same offence and fair enough in my opinion. Carry over points do get added but they are different to loadings.
Clear as mud!

Titan4Life
06-05-15, 08:45 PM
I might be wrong mate but I think the loadings are for similar offences. For example you don't get loadings for trips then added to dangerous throws. Bird was in more trouble as he had three similar offences in the last year or so. You are considered dumb if you keep going to the judiciary for the same offence and fair enough in my opinion. Carry over points do get added but they are different to loadings.
Clear as mud!

So how many loading points do you get for a trip? Reynolds has done it twice this year and another time last year as well. I'm not saying he should have been sitting on the sideline for weeks on end but surely he deserves more than 1?

Mexican titan
06-05-15, 08:56 PM
So how many loading points do you get for a trip? Reynolds has done it twice this year and another time last year as well. I'm not saying he should have been sitting on the sideline for weeks on end but surely he deserves more than 1?

Here you are - hope this helps:

Prior similar offences

If the player has been convicted of the same or similar offence in the two-year period immediately preceding the incident, the player is liable to an increase equivalent to 50 per cent of the base penalty for each previous offence. The exception to this rule is Grade 1 offences where the player will only carry the loading for a 12-month period.

Prior non-similar offences

Further, if the player has been previously convicted of an offence other than the same offence in the two-year period immediately preceding the incident, the player is liable to an increase equivalent to 20 per cent of the base penalty for each previous offence. For the offence of a Careless High Tackle Grade 1, players only carry this loading for a 12-month period.

7. Carry-over points

Note when reading the charge sheet, the carry-over points are always added to the penalty points to determine the penalty to be served. i.e. John White's early plea result would be 286 + 62 = 348. A player's carryover points will be progressively reduced by five points for each match he competes in without further charge.

8. Send Off

In the event a player is sent from the field for misconduct, the player will receive a discount from any resulting charge for that incident. The player will have one point deducted from the charge for each whole minute of the match he misses due to the send-off.

Offence

Demerit points

Grade 1

Grade 2

Grade 3

Grade 4

Grade 5

Tripping 75 175 275 375 475
Kicking 200 300 400 500 600
Striking 125 225 325 425 525
Intentional High Tackle 550 650 750 850 950
Reckless High Tackle 300 350 400 450 500
Careless High Tackle 75 125 175 225 275
Dropping Knees 200 300 400 500 600
Dangerous Throw 125 325 525 725 925
Law Breaking 75 100 125 150 175
Offensive Language 75 100 125 150 175
Disputing Decision 75 125 175 225 275
Re-entering Play 75 125 175 225 275
Contrary Conduct 125 225 325 4 25 525
Obstructing 75 125 175 225 275
Detrimental Conduct 125 225 325 425 525
Dangerous Contact - Head 100 250 400 550 700
Dangerous Contact - Other 100 250 400 550 700
Shoulder Charge 200 350 500 650 800

EDIT: Now in relation to Reynolds he was charged with a Grade 1 Tripping which is 75 points. He had 1 x similar charge (plus 50%) plus 4 x non similar charge (plus 20%) in the last two years. So add 70% to 75 plus he had 32 carry overs and he is still under the 200 points which means only one week.

Early guilty pleas also result in a 25% reduction in points. Bird's charge totalled 812 points which would have been reduced to 609 if he pleaded guilty.

Mexican titan
06-05-15, 09:24 PM
Most Games Suspended 1998-2015

Player Games

John Hopoate 45
Craig Smith 34
Luke O'Donnell 29
Greg Bird 29
Danny Williams 28
Jason Stevens 27
Adrian Morley 26
Fuifui Moimoi 25
Travis Burns 25
Ruben Wiki 23
Michael Crocker 22
Ben Ross 20
Paul Gallen 20
Steve Matai 20

NSW Titan
06-05-15, 10:46 PM
Isn't Bird and everyone else's court case coming up soon anyway?

Yankee Doodle Titan
06-05-15, 11:04 PM
Most Games Suspended 1998-2015

Player Games
Greg Bird 29
Paul Gallen 20
Steve Matai 20

Wow! Bird has been suspended more than Gallen and Matai?! Those two thugs have done everything short of shiv other players on the field. This really opens my eyes about Bird (and to how one-eyed I've been when it comes to my own team, if I'm being honest). I hope Burr really starts hitting his straps during the next eight weeks.

shamus
07-05-15, 06:56 AM
I didn't realise that either. Wow, more than a season sitting on the sideline!

I assume that includes this 8 weeks? So it was 21 before yesterday??

Smakked
07-05-15, 08:21 AM
29 weeks is ok LOL

Just remebered when my old man was playing he got suspended for 32 weeks in one hit.

Mexican titan
07-05-15, 08:46 AM
I didn't realise that either. Wow, more than a season sitting on the sideline!

I assume that includes this 8 weeks? So it was 21 before yesterday??

Yes mate. The 29 includes the 8 weeks he is about to start.

NSW Titan
07-05-15, 10:08 AM
Don't forget too Bird left the nrl for a season aswell

shamus
07-05-15, 04:37 PM
29 weeks is ok LOL

Just remebered when my old man was playing he got suspended for 32 weeks in one hit.

32 weeks............must have been ONE big hit! :fight:

Mexican titan
07-05-15, 04:51 PM

Not necessarily...Hopoate got 12 weeks just for a poke.:poke:

teke
07-05-15, 05:09 PM
Not necessarily...Hopoate got 12 weeks just for a poke.:poke::laugh::laugh:

DavidBouveng
07-05-15, 05:48 PM

you cant deliver that line and have a smiley face using a 'chocolate finger' to make a poking gesture. im eating here.

Geeman
07-05-15, 05:58 PM

Funniest thing I've read on here in a long time :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Toads
07-05-15, 06:18 PM

But he got a few pokes in before he got pinged for it though?

Smakked
07-05-15, 08:15 PM

It was mate, running flat out and lifted the elbow across the guys nose, he got a trophy that year for most tenacious player.

JunctionBlock
08-05-15, 07:53 AM
Gold Coast Titans hardman Greg Bird to count the cost after eight-match ban
TOM BOSWELL& DEAN RITCHIE GOLD COAST BULLETIN MAY 07, 2015 12:00AM

MISSING out on State of *Origin could be the least of Greg Bird’s problems with the Gold Coast Titan facing the possibility of losing a large chunk of his salary due to his eight-week suspension.

Bird was charged with a grade two dangerous throw by the NRL match review committee for his ugly tackle on New Zealand winger Jason Nightingale in last Sunday’s Test match.

It was Bird’s fourth dangerous throw charge in the past 12 months, his loading a whopping 150 per cent.

He pleaded guilty but sought a downgrade to a grade one, losing his case at the judiciary last night.

Had Bird won the case, he would have missed two games and been available for Origin I in Sydney on May 27.

The NRL judiciary panel of Chris McKenna, Bronson Harrison and Mal Cochrane took just 11 minutes to deny the downgrade.

The suspension means Bird will miss all three Origin games and won’t return for Gold Coast until Round 19.

Titans boss Graham Annesley said the club was yet to decide if it will invoke an NRL clause which gives them the power to sanction players who breach the rules of the sport or governing body both on and off the field. With Bird on an estimated $550,000 a year, his eight-game suspension could see him potentially lose a six-figure sum from his salary.

Annesley said the option to withhold pay was there but the club had made no decision as to what course of action it would take and had planned no meeting to discuss the outcome of the judiciary.

“There are contractual rules around that kind of thing but the club hasn’t had a chance to consider anything at this stage.”

Titans boss Graham Annesley will not be drawn on whether the Titans will sanction Bird — shattered after Australia’s Anzac Test loss — following his eight-week ban for a lifting tackle.

END

Well if there was ever a time for club to make him feel like he's not wanted and to ship out it would be to try and invoke that clause.

ozynorts
08-05-15, 09:40 AM
Given his recent history with behavioural issues both on and off the field I think they should fine him. He is being paid a lot of money by the club and his reckless actions cost the club. He hasn't learnt his lesson about his tackling technique on the field so perhaps losing some cash might make him rethink it........

Titanic
08-05-15, 10:04 PM
I think 'fine' is the wrong word … he was playing for Australia and not the club and is subsequently unavailable therefore he should have his club salary withheld as he cannot perform his duties through his own actions … in summary why should the club pay him for work he can't do?

Titanic
09-05-15, 10:24 AM
However, I really have to add, surely the club has insurance indemnity against such a turn of events?

JunctionBlock
09-05-15, 11:29 AM
Would you have a no fault insurance policy? I would think they could take one out for injury but for suspension?

Toads
09-05-15, 11:49 AM
While Birdy has all this free time on his hands, the club should utilise him to do as much PR stuff as possible (when he isn't training). Admittedly, he's not one of our shining stars, but it just might be a wake up call that he might need to pull him into line while he's still with us.

Keep him earning his keep while is being kept off the paddock. Otherwise there's a reasonable chance that another off field incident could take place over the next 8 weeks..

Just a thought.

K2G
09-05-15, 10:18 PM
Marketing experts tip sponsors to shy away from Greg Bird
TOM BOSWELL GOLD COAST BULLETIN (http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/marketing-experts-tip-sponsors-to-shy-away-from-greg-bird/story-fnj94ixl-1227347722173) MAY 09, 2015 12:00AM

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2015/05/08/1227347/722145-2eca0f5a-f55d-11e4-ae12-33869197e80f.jpg

MONEY talks and it says there are a million reasons why Greg Bird is fast becoming the least marketable NRL player.

Sports marketing and player branding experts believe the Gold Coast forward stands to lose millions in potential earnings as a result of the damage to his personal brand in the wake of his eight-game ban for a lifting tackle on New Zealand’s Jason Nightingale.

Brand consultant and psychosomatic therapist Claire Kelly said a habit of “self- *sabotage” would have already resulted in Bird losing past revenue and greatly reducing his chances of new opportunities. “He is an interesting one from a marketing and branding perspective because of his repeated issues and problems with his behaviour,” Kelly said.

“I would say if I was a sponsor, I wouldn’t be backing him until he went deeper in to the reasons behind his behaviour.

“He knows he shouldn’t do it and I think he would have lost a bunch of contracts already and a lot of sponsors.

“It could cost him millions because who would want to sponsor or give a contract to someone who continually keeps repeating his negative actions?”

Kelly didn’t believe it was an intentional mindset but rather something that could be stopped.

“He is such a talented athlete and obviously brilliant when he is in form but the program keeps playing out and it needs to be a mental shift that stops it,” said the Gold Coast-based Kelly, a 2012 Australian Olympic volleyballer. “It is like a virus on a computer. You don’t know it is happening then one day the computer reboots itself and you find out the virus has been there for 10, 20 or 30 years.

“Greg would be aware of his self-sabotage but doesn’t do enough work to clear it.”

Brisbane-based Major League Marketing managing director Jason Greenhalgh said Bird and the Titans could suffer from his indiscretions.

“No doubt both the on-field and off-field stuff would have a negative impact,” he said.

“They would be seen by potential sponsors as a negative and the last thing they want to associate themselves with.

“It all comes back to their reputation and even in relation to sponsors for the Titans it’s the last thing they really want to see. Everyone loves a winner and if these things impact on the team winning, then it can be seen as a negative.

“The difficult thing with Greg in particular is that it has been one thing after another.

“I imagine he would be hard pressed to get any new sponsorships. I imagine any sponsors he may have had on board, unless they are very loyal, would have walked away by now.”

Dr Owen Wright, a lecturer at Griffith University’s Department of Marketing, believes fans will be turned away more by Bird’s suspension than any off-field incidents.

“Greg Bird has a long record of tackles of this type but in between he plays unbelievably good football,” Wright said.

“It is important to differentiate between football issues and broader social issues when considering the impact on a club’s brand. Social issues like pub fights, alcohol abuse and misogynistic attitudes damage the NRL as a brand.

“These are situations where incidents go beyond the context of just football. But issues inside football, such as Greg Bird tackles that are penalised and punished, do not affect a club anywhere near as much as social issues do.”