PDA

View Full Version : Round 9: RAIDERS vs TITANS

DIEHARD
25-04-15, 06:55 PM
RAIDERS vs TITANS

DIEHARD
26-04-15, 08:32 PM
Raiders upset the Bunnies!

<script height="349px" width="620px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=fd5fc71d2bcc4b60a622cf8d3348d605&ec=VxZmxxdDrzNpyfrIftNZArxuM0mo8E7e"></script>

DIEHARD
27-04-15, 12:44 AM
Raiders rebuild ahead of schedule as Canberra emerges as a finals contender

The Raiders continue to make a mockery of the many critics who made them wooden spoon favourites before season kick-off, and are playing even better than their 4-4 record suggests. Canberra squandered an 18-0 lead at home to St George Illawarra, and never really recovered mentally before a heavy loss to the Roosters the next week. Heavyweights Melbourne Storm also were forced to work extremely hard to grind out a 14-10 win, and the Raiders more than held their own against the defending premiers on Sunday. Canberra will head into the representative break extremely pleased with their progress in their second season under Ricky Stuart's mentorship.

SECOND-HALF WOES WELL AND TRULY BURIED

It was just two weeks ago the Raiders couldn't score a point after half-time if they were given 12 tackles a set. They were outscored 18-80 after half-time across the first six rounds, but have won that ledger 44-6 the past two weeks in comeback wins over the Tigers and Rabbitohs. The Rabbits are now in a massive hole, having lost four of their last five games. Incredibly Canberra boasts a 4-1 road record thus far this year, but are winless in three attempts at home. They have a chance to rectify that against the rejuvenated Gold Coast Titans after the representative break.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs continued their slump with a narrow loss to the Raiders on Sunday afternoon. Photo: Getty Images
Going nowhereL Josh Papalii is tackled. Josh Hodgson pins his ears back. Jason Clark pumps the legs. George Burgess is double-teamed. Jordan Rapana tries to find a way through. Glenn Stewart tries to spark an attack. Josh Hodgson changes direction. Jarrod Hennedy eyes up the defence. Tim Grant is sent to the ground. Dylan Walker receives treatment for a leg injury.

NEW SUPER SUBS CRITICAL

Canberra's bench has been vital in their revival the past fortnight. For the second-straight week big young prop Shannon Boyd had a huge impact, scoring a second individual try in as many weeks to get Canberra right back in the contest at 22-20. He has missed a few weeks this season with a shoulder injury, and that perhaps cost him joining his skipper Jarrod Croker in winning a maiden Country jumper. Although he was named as 18th man late on Sunday night. Bench hooker Kurt Baptiste was again sensational coming on for Josh Hodgson, running for 126 metres off three dummy half darts. His energy and pace have given the Raiders a new dimension. He's cemented his place in the team after only being recalled to first grade last week.

FRESH START FOR THE FRESH PRINCE

Canberra winger Edrick Lee revealed he shaved off the game's most famous flattop because "he wanted to be known more for his football than his hair". He took a giant step toward doing just that by scoring the first two tries of his season. The first four-pointer was a professional finish out wide after Jack Wighton opened up space for him on the inside. Late in the game his previous history as a basketballer helped him when he plucked a Sam Williams kick above his hand to plant the match sealer.

JOSH PAPALII A LUCKY BOY

By his own admission Josh Papalii "hasn't started the season too good" and struggled to make his usual impact after being shifted from back row to prop early this season. His move back to the edge the past fortnight has helped him regain some of his mojo, but most observers felt he was lucky to be named 19th man in Australia's Test team to play New Zealand on Friday. Papalii played a big part in last year's Four Nations campaign after injuries hit a number of leading props.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/

teke
27-04-15, 02:57 AM
Pound the Raiders edges with Speed

DavidBouveng
27-04-15, 05:17 AM
this will be a good game against the other vastly improved side in the comp.
should be really good to watch.

TITAN PETE
27-04-15, 05:19 AM
Who would have thought 6 weeks ago that this may be the match of the round , 2 teams in great attacking form

DIEHARD
27-04-15, 09:50 AM
Who would have thought 6 weeks ago that this may be the match of the round , 2 teams in great attacking form

I would have bet anything against it. Probably the most anticipated Raiders v Titans game ever.

JunctionBlock
27-04-15, 02:30 PM
Good to see no Titans have a date with the judiciary this week. Bird being put on report was an absolute joke in the first place.

5 Year Contract
27-04-15, 04:12 PM
Feels great to be going into another week with optimism! Close to our full strength team (still want Crampton over Zillman but hard to change our winning team). Will be a tough one given Canberra's resurgence (haha actually given both teams last few weeks its the battle of the 2nd half points) but we have more than enough to come away with a win here.

JunctionBlock
30-04-15, 05:09 AM
At least he's being realistic. Mortimer gets asked what now.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/mortimer-vows-fight-titans-place/

K2G
30-04-15, 08:44 AM
At least he's being realistic. Mortimer gets asked what now.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/mortimer-vows-fight-titans-place/

MORTIMER VOWS TO FIGHT FOR TITANS PLACE
Written by GREG PRICHARD, April 30, 2015

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/mortimer.jpg

DANIEL Mortimer is getting close to a comeback from a fractured wrist, but even with his versatility he faces a difficult task to break back into the team with Aidan Sezer and Kane Elgey firing as the halves combination and two hookers already in the 17-man squad.

Mortimer played halfback, with Sezer at five-eighth, for the first three rounds, but has missed the last five. Halfback Elgey, who was re-signed by the Titans on Tuesday, and five-eighth Sezer have been the combination for the team’s last five games – four of which they have won.

Beau Falloon is the starting hooker and Kierran Moseley is backing him up on the bench. Falloon left the field early with a shoulder injury in last Saturday’s 32-28 win over the Warriors, but is expected to be fit for the next game against Canberra at GIO Stadium on Saturday week.

The versatile Mortimer tells RLW he is hoping to be available to play against the Raiders.

“I couldn’t do much in training for the first few weeks because I had to keep my wrist still, in a brace,” Mortimer says.

“But last week I was doing pretty much everything with it fairly heavily strapped. Hopefully, I’ll be back after this week’s bye.”

Asked where he thought he might be able to fit into the squad, Mortimer replies: “I’m not too sure. They’re obviously doing a good job at the moment, so, mate, wherever. I’m hoping my versatility will help.”

Elgey starred against the Warriors and with the club now having beaten off strong interest from Manly to re-sign him it obviously isn’t going to move him back out of the side.

The aim will be to get him ready for a partnership with the club’s huge signing for next year – Daly Cherry-Evans – particularly since Sezer is leaving to join Canberra at the end of the season.

Mortimer appears likely to have to come back with one of Gold Coast’s feeder clubs in the Intrust Super Cup and try to fight his way back into first grade from there.

Dannyboy
30-04-15, 01:27 PM
Go the mighty raiders, should be a great game. May the best team win. Also can't wait to see sezer in green :banana:

teke
30-04-15, 02:00 PM
Go the mighty raiders, should be a great game. May the best team win. Also can't wait to see sezer in green :banana:Few on here also can't wait to see him in Green.

I believe he shoulda been on the right side all along.

Dannyboy
30-04-15, 02:06 PM
That's quite strange that Titans fans can't wait to see one of their best players over the last few years leave... Sour grapes?

Brock O'Brien
30-04-15, 02:12 PM
That's quite strange that Titans fans can't wait to see one of their best players over the last few years leave... Sour grapes?

Seeing as we will have a much better halves pairing without him, it really doesn't bother us

Mr Stupid
30-04-15, 02:22 PM
Welcome Raiders fan, glad you joined us.:thumbsup:

- - - Updated - - -

I think Aiden is a good get for you Raiders. He's better this year under Henry but I can assure you Titans fans haven't been thrilled the last few years. That said, I hope he goes well with Ricky who's good with the halves.

Dannyboy
30-04-15, 02:55 PM
Austin and sezer in the halves is a very, very good halves combo.
And with a forward pack in 2016 of:

8. Vaughan
9. Hodgson
10. Tamou
11. Papa
12. Whitehead/ Soliola
13. Fensom

14. Baptiste
15. Soliola/ Whitehead
16. FPN
17. Boyd

And a backline of:
1. Wighton
2. Lee
3. Croker
4. Waqa
5. Rapana
(Pending a big name outside back signing)

We will be premiership contenders as early as 2016!
That is surely one of the best forward packs in the Comp. Also a very handy backline. For those wondering " who is whitehead?" He is in the top two 2nd rowers in the whole English super league.

Tamwelg
30-04-15, 02:57 PM

No sour grapes around here mate. Most would be wishing him well with you guys next year and beyond. To say he has been one of our best over the past few years is off the mark though. He has come good this year and is playing some good footy right now and he and Elgey will be a great halves pair for the rest of this year, but his past few years were average and we will have a halves pairing of DCE and LG next year.

Tamwelg
30-04-15, 03:00 PM
Austin and sezer in the halves is a very, very good halves combo.
And with a forward pack in 2016 of:

8. Vaughan
9. Hodgson
10. Tamou
11. Papa
12. Whitehead/ Soliola
13. Fensom

14. Baptiste
15. Soliola/ Whitehead
16. FPN
17. Boyd

And a backline of:
1. Wighton
2. Lee
3. Croker
4. Waqa
5. Rapana
(Pending a big name outside back signing)

We will be premiership contenders as early as 2016!
That is surely one of the best forward packs in the Comp. Also a very handy backline. For those wondering " who is whitehead?" He is in the top two 2nd rowers in the whole English super league.

I'm glad you are happy with the way your side is looking for next year, but here in this thread is not the right place to discuss this. Please feel free to discuss next weekends game in this game thread at anytime.

JunctionBlock
30-04-15, 04:44 PM
Dannyboy's forgetting who his coach is.

teke
30-04-15, 05:19 PM
That's quite strange that Titans fans can't wait to see one of their best players over the last few years leave... Sour grapes?Sour grapes? My avatar says otherwise...I'm a manly fan dishing out a dose of reality. He won't be missed imo

GCTTSD
30-04-15, 07:20 PM
Falloon is out for a month. Guess we'll be seeing mortimer off the bench playing hooker next week

Titanic
30-04-15, 10:55 PM
Nah mate. We would have preferred him to stay but he is destined to go to lock once his defence picks up … not much for leading the team around and couldn't find grass with a kick at a Mullumbimby bbq.

DIEHARD
01-05-15, 12:15 AM
Yea Sezer has been great for us and I will miss him. He will go from strength to strength and the Raiders deserve a break. Great signing.

Mr Stupid
01-05-15, 08:32 AM
Falloon is out for a month. Guess we'll be seeing mortimer off the bench playing hooker next week

This could be full circle for Morts. Injury ensures he loses his halves spot and another injury sees him back at hooker/utility off the bench. A position most would agree he's better suited for and that he's had great success at in the past. We're living in interesting times Gentlemen (and Ladies).

TitansFan92
01-05-15, 10:01 AM
This could be full circle for Morts. Injury ensures he loses his halves spot and another injury sees him back at hooker/utility off the bench. A position most would agree he's better suited for and that he's had great success at in the past. We're living in interesting times Gentlemen (and Ladies).

I think that would be his best position. Just come on for 10-20 mins to give Moseley a breather until he get the fitness to become an 80 min hooker. Then we can let Mortimer leave.

TITAN PETE
01-05-15, 10:34 AM
I think that would be his best position. Just come on for 10-20 mins to give Moseley a breather until he get the fitness to become an 80 min hooker. Then we can let Mortimer leave.

That's the role he played for the Roosters & its the only role he should ever have..

karnage
03-05-15, 10:08 AM

I agree with you but I still prefer Mosely off the bench at this stage. Falloon isn't popular on here, but I like him.

5 Year Contract
03-05-15, 05:03 PM
i'd say we will be without bird for this game now after a dumb lifting penalty in the Anzac test. Stupid penalty

DIEHARD
03-05-15, 05:15 PM
i'd say we will be without bird for this game now after a dumb lifting penalty in the Anzac test. Stupid penalty

Yea Bird will be gone after that.

DavidBouveng
03-05-15, 05:21 PM
the raiders would have beat australia today. or should have played for Australia. the canberra players kiled it in the city country match,

hope they all have big heads and dont us coming this week

teke
03-05-15, 05:23 PM
the raiders would have beat australia today. or should have played for Australia. the canberra players kiled it in the city country match,

hope they all have big heads and dont us coming this weekThey have a great forward pack, Wighton will be playing origin in the future.

DIEHARD
03-05-15, 06:21 PM
Canberra Raiders players steal the show in City v Country encounter
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/

The Canberra Raiders contingent left their mark on the representative stage and hope their eye-catching form in the City v Country fixture carries into the NRL.

Raiders five-eighth Blake Austin capitalised on his elevation into City's starting side with a brilliant individual performance, scoring a hat-trick of tries and saving two with desperate tackles.

But it was his Canberra teammates Jarrod Croker, Jack Wighton and Paul Vaughan who will have bragging rights after Country's 32-22 win in Wagga Wagga on Sunday.

The quartet, plus prop Shannon Boyd, who was 18th man for Country, will return to the Raiders in high spirits for Saturday's match with the Gold Coast Titans at Canberra Stadium.

The Raiders will be aiming for their third straight victory after back to back wins over the Wests Tigers and defending premiers South Sydney before the representative break.

The Country centre pairing of Croker and Wighton showed they wouldn't look out of place in the NSW side.

Both scored inside the final 10 minutes to seal the victory - Wighton linking up with Joel Thompson before Croker used good strength to crash over from close range.

Croker wants to use the game as a springboard for his return to the Raiders, but is confident he could do the job for NSW if called up.

"I think I could, but I think there's a fair few people in front of me," Croker said.

"I'm not going to put my neck out there, but I'd love to get a crack, all 34 blokes on the field would.

"I'm just excited about the win.

"I thought all the Canberra boys played really well, so hopefully we can take that form back to Canberra and keep building."

It was Croker's first game for Country after 148 appearances for the Raiders in the NRL.

He was also 19th man for NSW last year.

Austin also rose to the occasion in his debut for City.

Originally selected on the bench, Austin made the most of his opportunity to start at halfback after South Sydney's Luke Keary pulled out with injury.

He crossed for three tries, but it was defence that caught the eye.

Austin pulled off a try-saving tackle on Dragons second-rower Tyson Frizzell before showing an impressive turn of foot to chase down Gold Coast Titans winger David Mead.

"I was pretty happy with my game all round," Austin said.

"My defence is something that has to be good and I find my attack flows off the back of that.

"It was a pretty big thrill to play for City.

"People say the game doesn't mean anything, but having the week in camp and being around some high-quality players, I'll be able to take that confidence back to Canberra."

Wighton did his chances of being a bolter for State of Origin no harm with another strong showing and made a quick adjustment back to the centres.

Meanwhile, Vaughan provided plenty of punch in the middle for Country when he was injected off the bench.

DIEHARD
03-05-15, 11:47 PM
GOLD Coast Titans’ Greg Bird faces an uphill battle to be available for the club’s round nine NRL game against Canberra Raiders after being put on report during Australia’s disappointing loss to New Zealand.

Bird, who was under threat of missing the Anzac clash after being put on report for two tackles the week before, will be in doubt for the trip to Canberra after producing a lifting tackle on Kiwi Jason Nightingale during the 26-12 loss.

The 30-year-old will be forced to endure another frustrating wait to see whether or not he features in the Titans line up on May 9.

“It’s frustrating and happens these days with rugby league,” Bird said.

“You go and make tackles and sometimes the referees see something different then you but it’s not for me to make a comment on and I don’t think there was too much in it.”

It was just one of many disappointments for a sluggish Australian side which struggled to match the enthusiasm of a Kiwi side determined to make the most of the extended stay in Brisbane after Friday night’s game was cancelled.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/

ozynorts
04-05-15, 06:29 AM
Honestly Bird is becoming more of a liability every week. If he isn't involved in an off field incident he is "waiting on the judiciary". He needs to pull his head in and sort out his tackling issues.

Mexican titan
04-05-15, 07:27 AM
Honestly Bird is becoming more of a liability every week. If he isn't involved in an off field incident he is "waiting on the judiciary". He needs to pull his head in and sort out his tackling issues.

It was interesting watching the game and listening to Gus Gould's description of the Bird tackle. He had so long to take his arms away from the blokes leg but he still went on with it. Gould described it as "dumb" which was pretty accurate- for the tackle and the tackler.

Mr Stupid
04-05-15, 08:25 AM
Mortimer off the bench in for injured Falloon? Yes?

ozynorts
04-05-15, 09:05 AM
It was interesting watching the game and listening to Gus Gould's description of the Bird tackle. He had so long to take his arms away from the blokes leg but he still went on with it. Gould described it as "dumb" which was pretty accurate- for the tackle and the tackler.

During Origin last year Gould was calling him a ball hog!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IpswichTitans
04-05-15, 10:14 AM
Expecting....

1. Hoffman
2. Don
3. Roberts
4. Zillman
5. Mead
6. Sezer
7. Elgey
8. Douglas
9. Moseley
10. Pettybourne
11. James
12. Taylor
13. Myles (If Greg Bird is Suspended)
-----------------------------
14. White
15. Ioane
16. Burr
17. Mortimer

TitansFan92
04-05-15, 11:28 AM
Expecting....

1. Hoffman
2. Don
3. Roberts
4. Zillman
5. Mead
6. Sezer
7. Elgey
8. Douglas
9. Moseley
10. Pettybourne
11. James
12. Taylor
13. Myles (If Greg Bird is Suspended)
-----------------------------
14. White
15. Ioane
16. Burr
17. Mortimer

Except for White I would happy with that team. If Zillman pick up some minor injury not career ending, maybe stub his toe or something hahaha so Crampton can get a go to prove himself that would be fine by me.

JunctionBlock
04-05-15, 12:47 PM
Bird looking at 6-8 weeks for his tackle in the test match. Gets a 150% loading for his previous indiscretions.

TitansFan92
04-05-15, 02:08 PM
Bird looking at 6-8 weeks for his tackle in the test match. Gets a 150% loading for his previous indiscretions.

To be honest I think its fair and its time for him to leave the club imo.

TITAN PETE
04-05-15, 02:41 PM
Greg Bird facing eight-week ban for tackle on Kiwi Jason Nightingale

AAP •
Gold Coast Bulletin •
May 04, 2015 2:17PM

GOLD Coast Titan Greg Bird is set to miss most of NSW’s State of Origin campaign for his ugly tackle on New Zealand’s Jason Nightingale in Sunday’s rugby league Test.

The veteran forward faces up to eight matches on the sidelines after being hit with a grade two dangerous throw charge by the match review committee today.

Due to three similar offences in the past two years and loading, the offence carries with it a six-week ban if Bird takes the early guilty plea.

If he decides to fight the charge at the judiciary and loses, he will be suspended for eight games.

Bird lifted Nightingale’s legs as the Kiwis winger was upended in a 74th minute tackle during the Kangaroos’ 26-12 loss at Suncorp Stadium.

- - - Updated - - -

Bird played a rubbish game as did most of the pack but his effort in lifting Nightingale may cost him a lazy $120K :surprise:

Mexican titan
04-05-15, 02:45 PM

Selfish attitude I know but this is why I never want our blokes in Rep teams (this and injuries). Sure they need to be played and blokes learn a lot from being in camp with the top players but now we lose him for 6 weeks when he wasn't playing for us and the club gets no compensation. Yes it was a dumb tackle but now it's a big cost at our expense. I know in soccer you miss games from the comp you get suspended in but that wouldn't work here as Bird is unlikely to ever be picked 6-8 times for the Kangaroos again.
Yep selfish I know but winning the comp far outweighs Test and Origin for me.

Mr Stupid
04-05-15, 02:48 PM
Bird played a rubbish game as did most of the pack but his effort in lifting Nightingale may cost him a lazy $120K :surprise:[/QUOTE]

We still have to pay him if he's suspended, right? Or not?

Hail Sezer
04-05-15, 02:51 PM
We still have to pay him if he's suspended, right? Or not?

I think pete is referring to the Origin bonuses

Smakked
04-05-15, 03:35 PM
This will be a good game i think, i expect lots of footy to be played and alot of trys. Looking forward to this one.

karnage
04-05-15, 04:33 PM
$120k?? They get $30k per origin. How does that add up to $120k, do they get a winning bonus or something??

TITAN PETE
04-05-15, 07:56 PM
$120k?? They get $30k per origin. How does that add up to $120k, do they get a winning bonus or something??

I was told by a current player it's now $40k per match with 50% held back in a super fund until they retire from the game as is with all rep matches

Mr Stupid
05-05-15, 07:26 AM
Gee it's good money for doing what you love. Yes I know all the 'body on the line' and limited career time stuff, they're still very lucky. And good luck to 'em. :)

karnage
05-05-15, 01:46 PM
I was told by a current player it's now $40k per match with 50% held back in a super fund until they retire from the game as is with all rep matches

Wow! That is some good coin.

timor 2
05-05-15, 04:02 PM
Titans
1 Josh Hoffman
2 Anthony Don
3 James Roberts
4 William Zillman
5 David Mead
6 Aidan Sezer
7 Kane Elgey
8 Luke Douglas
9 Kierran Moseley
10 Nate Myles
11 Ryan James
12 Dave Taylor
13 Lachlan Burr

Interchange
14 Matt White
15 Edward Pettybourne
16 Mark Ioane
17 Daniel Mortimer
18 Davin Crampton

Coach: Neil Henry

TitansFan92
05-05-15, 04:10 PM
Titans
1 Josh Hoffman
2 Anthony Don
3 James Roberts
4 William Zillman
5 David Mead
6 Aidan Sezer
7 Kane Elgey
8 Luke Douglas
9 Kierran Moseley
10 Nate Myles
11 Ryan James
12 Dave Taylor
13 Lachlan Burr

Interchange
14 Matt White
15 Edward Pettybourne
16 Mark Ioane
17 Daniel Mortimer
18 Davin Crampton

Coach: Neil Henry

Would rather see Eddy start and Myles go to Lock. But its a good team with Crampton maybe getting a chance to play.

Mr Stupid
05-05-15, 04:11 PM
C'mon Zilly, twinge something in training.:drinkies:

JunctionBlock
05-05-15, 06:45 PM
Good to see Crampton make a list even if it is at 18th man. At least we know that he's a consideration. Paasi still injured? I'll be interested to see how Burr goes playing lock. I wonder what his minutes are going to be like?

DavidBouveng
05-05-15, 06:54 PM
our team list's slow and steady evolution is similar to a word puzzle type game i cant recall the name of where you change one letter at a time and the end word is totally different:

foot
fool
fowl
cowl
cows
mows

where slow changes result in totally new entity by the end.

James to second row
hoffman in
hoffman to FB
burr on bench
burr in team
elgey in (and now never leaves)
paasi and petty from no where to in and around bench or starting
crampton to 18th man
crampton to where next?

our end of year team might not be 100% different, but the changes will be significant, and the players in the 17 will almost all be the right ones i think. apart from the usual suspect...but in our brief history so far with King Henry, if anyone is going to cut through the TP bulldust its him.

TITAN PETE
05-05-15, 07:48 PM
Scratch Mortimer or Zillman & that's the best 17 this season for me looks far more stable:thumbsup:

teke
05-05-15, 08:26 PM
If there is no Bird this week and If Myles carries his Kangaroo form
Into the game Raiders will run riot

- - - Updated - - -

our team list's slow and steady evolution is similar to a word puzzle type game i cant recall the name of where you change one letter at a time and the end word is totally different:

foot
fool
fowl
cowl
cows
mows

where slow changes result in totally new entity by the end.

James to second row
hoffman in
hoffman to FB
burr on bench
burr in team
elgey in (and now never leaves)
paasi and petty from no where to in and around bench or starting
crampton to 18th man
crampton to where next?

our end of year team might not be 100% different, but the changes will be significant, and the players in the 17 will almost all be the right ones i think. apart from the usual suspect...but in our brief history so far with King Henry, if anyone is going to cut through the TP bulldust its him.King Henry was the fella who dumped Mead from fb to put Zilly back there

Mexican titan
05-05-15, 08:47 PM
If there is no Bird this week and If Myles carries his Kangaroo form
Into the game Raiders will run riot

King Henry was the fella who dumped Mead from fb to put Zilly back there

Geez mate, I like reading your opinions but is there any chance of a bit of positivity breaking out just occasionally. This team has made huge advances this year, yet I think before most games you have sounded the death knell beforehand.
I agree that Meady was poorly treated in past years but it's hard to argue that Henry has got it too wrong this year.

Titanic
05-05-15, 09:34 PM
You're just saying that MT :) :)

Nick
05-05-15, 09:43 PM

+ a couple of envelopes along the way ;)

teke
05-05-15, 10:35 PM
Geez mate, I like reading your opinions but is there any chance of a bit of positivity breaking out just occasionally. This team has made huge advances this year, yet I think before most games you have sounded the death knell beforehand.
I agree that Meady was poorly treated in past years but it's hard to argue that Henry has got it too wrong this year.henryd done a good job but let's see how the yr ends.

Bird is a big part of the current Titans good form

Yankee Doodle Titan
06-05-15, 12:06 AM
Bird is a big part of the current Titans good form

I've only been a convert to rugby league for a couple of seasons now, so I don't claim to have anywhere near the powers of analysis you guys have...but, seriously? I agree he's been in good form this season, but I can't see how the Titans would be any lower on the ladder without Bird. I genuinely would like to know why you rate his contribution so highly.

teke
06-05-15, 12:22 AM
I've only been a convert to rugby league for a couple of seasons now, so I don't claim to have anywhere near the powers of analysis you guys have...but, seriously? I agree he's been in good form this season, but I can't see how the Titans would be any lower on the ladder without Bird. I genuinely would like to know why you rate his contribution so highly.He's a great talker but his value to the team is his defence, not only does he hardly miss any tackles he makes alot of dominant tackles. Myles sometimes plays at origin level Bird always does.

Titanic
06-05-15, 12:53 AM
The debate centres on whether his defensive efforts outweigh his misdemeanours … if you add up the penalties, the poor carries, the diving antics and the occasional missed tackles then there is room for debate … and I have purposely not mentioned the off-field stuff which may well negate this debate shortly anyhow.

teke
06-05-15, 02:08 AM
The debate centres on whether his defensive efforts outweigh his misdemeanours … if you add up the penalties, the poor carries, the diving antics and the occasional missed tackles then there is room for debate … and I have purposely not mentioned the off-field stuff which may well negate this debate shortly anyhow.Good pt, I was thinking more him vs others in the side

ozynorts
06-05-15, 05:59 AM
The debate centres on whether his defensive efforts outweigh his misdemeanours … if you add up the penalties, the poor carries, the diving antics and the occasional missed tackles then there is room for debate … and I have purposely not mentioned the off-field stuff which may well negate this debate shortly anyhow.

This is what has been bothering me lately as well. He is a courageous player who puts it all on the line every week but he just has these brain fades and they appear to be more common now.... I get frustrated watching him throw his hands in the air and hurl abuse at a referee after he has knocked a ball on.
Agree though his weekly effort is above Myles who seems to cruise a lot of the time.

Numbers
06-05-15, 10:35 AM
He's a great talker but his value to the team is his defence, not only does he hardly miss any tackles he makes alot of dominant tackles. Myles sometimes plays at origin level Bird always does.

I agree that Bird can be a dominant tackler but I think it is well wide of the mark to claim that he hardly misses any tackles. In general Bird misses 10-15% of the tackles he attempts. For a backrower this certainly ain't praiseworthy.

Yankee Doodle Titan
06-05-15, 11:16 AM
He's a great talker but his value to the team is his defence, not only does he hardly miss any tackles he makes alot of dominant tackles. Myles sometimes plays at origin level Bird always does.

I agree that Bird is solid in defense, but he's an old dog who can't learn new tricks. "Tricks", in this case, meaning "not lifting the tackled player's legs above horizontal." The guy himself has admitted that he's having trouble adjusting his tackling technique so as not to fall afoul of the refs.

Anyhow, sorry to veer off topic.

DavidBouveng
06-05-15, 06:18 PM
yeah missing a third of the season because a game not even played for the club hurts.

like Josh Reynolds, Bird and his suspension history is going to be a large cloud hanging over any club who signs him... any minor charge will be ramped up like crazy with loading...both might end up the way of Travis Burns and have to go to Super League to escpape it.

JunctionBlock
06-05-15, 06:18 PM
Bird gone for 8 weeks. Downgrade was unsuccessful.

Mexican titan
06-05-15, 06:25 PM
Bird gone for 8 weeks. Downgrade was unsuccessful.

What really p1sses me off is that all the comments are about him missing the origin series. Nothing about us, we are only just the club that pays his weekly wage.

gotitans101_
06-05-15, 06:28 PM
The stupidity of some players is beyond belief. Bird can f*** off to the Knights next year as far as I'm concerned, not only would he fit in well there but I hear they're looking for a replacement for Beau Scott next year.

TITAN PETE
06-05-15, 06:55 PM
Birds 8 weeks should spell the end of his Origin career if not more ..

JunctionBlock
06-05-15, 06:57 PM
News could get worse for him come Friday. This may be the least of his worries.

TITAN PETE
06-05-15, 07:01 PM
News could get worse for him come Friday. This may be the least of his worries.

Let's hope but I won't be surprised for another adjournment

Titanic Believer
06-05-15, 07:30 PM
Birds loss is an opportunity for one of the young blokes. I hope they grab it. Although I am happy we are looking promising this year I still see it as rebuilding and that means working through the prospects for next year and getting some experience under their belts.

Mexican titan
06-05-15, 07:36 PM
Let's hope but I won't be surprised for another adjournment

I would think it will be adjourned for sure. TF92 said in an earlier post that the club will get more clarity about the charges/evidence against him but I still can't see how the club can act as judge and jury until the court case is over. I wouldn't be surprised if he has signed with some other club before the court case is over, but would a club take the risk of signing a player who potentially could be deregistered if found guilty.
I have been pretty impressed with Bird's form this year and as others have said, he does add some mongrel factor but I am just about over him. He gets as many headlines for what he does away from the footy field which just means damage to the brand and he seems as dumb as dogsh1t, both in what he does on the field and off it.

- - - Updated - - -

Birds loss is an opportunity for one of the young blokes. I hope they grab it. Although I am happy we are looking promising this year I still see it as rebuilding and that means working through the prospects for next year and getting some experience under their belts.

Agreed. I have not been that happy with Burr, Robinson or Simpkins when they have had their chances this year but I also had this as a rebuilding year and am happy for these blokes to get more chances to develop.

Smakked
09-05-15, 02:37 PM
We look disorganised atm

teke
09-05-15, 02:46 PM
Getting hammered by their huge boppers

K2G
09-05-15, 02:46 PM
What the F is sezer doing on the left side all game? He needs to F* off back to the right side...

The reffing of this game is so one-sided. Hard to watch.

JunctionBlock
09-05-15, 02:48 PM
Myles looks like he's made a decision. He doesn't want to play for us anymore. This is embarrassing, how do you get to NRL level, and this is aimed at the entire team, and not know how to tackle. 9 rounds in and we are all wrestling against each other and still can't put a player on the ground.

- - - Updated - - -

One out hit up, one out hit up, one out hit up, one out hit up, one out hit up, kick. Carty footy.

gotitans101_
09-05-15, 02:49 PM
can we get some better forwards k thx

lonegull
09-05-15, 02:49 PM
Myles heart is not with the Titans is so obvious in plays just get rid of him before the June 30 deadline

gotitans101_
09-05-15, 02:55 PM
lol Austin @ half time "Our big boys having a field day out there", you got that right.

Titanic Believer
09-05-15, 02:58 PM
Just wondering how long you have to hold someone before they call held? On that point, once the player is stopped why isn't a third man locking up the legs?

lonegull
09-05-15, 02:59 PM
lol Austin @ half time "Our big boys having a field day out there", you got that right.

Thought the same, how much confidence would the raiders have in the dressing room when Austin saying things like that

JunctionBlock
09-05-15, 03:01 PM
Mead was a disgrace when Crocker scored under the posts, he didn't even attempt to cover him when the two on one pass was so obvious and telegraphed. This lack of effort does my head in. Time to rev the team up or start dropping players.

Hail Sezer
09-05-15, 03:02 PM
Sezer needs to take a backseat so that LG can get take some control as he did versus the Warriors. We get that our left side is where we are likely to score points today but that doesn't mean that Sezer needs to be there, Kane is more than capable..

TitansFan92
09-05-15, 03:04 PM
I am going to leave my comments until the end of the game but that was a piss poor effort by the whole team that half. Its easy to blame it on the refs but its our teams fault not the refs.

- - - Updated - - -

Sezer needs to take a backseat so that LG can get take some control as he did versus the Warriors. We get that our left side is where we are likely to score points today but that doesn't mean that Sezer needs to be there, Kane is more than capable..

But Sezer is trying to help his new team win.

teke
09-05-15, 03:06 PM
Sezer needs to take a backseat so that LG can get take some control as he did versus the Warriors. We get that our left side is where we are likely to score points today but that doesn't mean that Sezer needs to be there, Kane is more than capable..should prob give sezer the green jumper now

Toads
09-05-15, 03:08 PM
The Titans 'n I have something in common this arvo, where we both keep nodding off throughout the game.. *yawn*

ozynorts
09-05-15, 03:09 PM
The defensive effort today so far is woeful. We also look so disinterested in attack. Hope the second half is better.

JunctionBlock
09-05-15, 03:23 PM
Good to see our big bopper last 15 mins again. DT must be doing that impact game thing again, where he goes off for 60 mins and has an ice cream or a banana then comes back on and goes to ground faster than a shovel.

- - - Updated - - -

8160 crowd attendance and the media will probably blame the Titans for the poor attendance.

- - - Updated - - -

Are there 13 men out there? The gaps in our defence are staggering.

lonegull
09-05-15, 03:25 PM
Austin must have spiders in him everyone frighten to tackle him

Smakked
09-05-15, 03:25 PM
Why can't we put players on the ground. This is boring as **** to watch

JunctionBlock
09-05-15, 03:27 PM
How will the Titans respond after this???? Oh, we'll let Canberra run through our nil defence and score.

lonegull
09-05-15, 03:29 PM
We are a bunch of soft c@$ks except Ryan James

gotitans101_
09-05-15, 03:32 PM
F/A will be ****ed again after this.

Smakked
09-05-15, 03:32 PM
todouble that's it all over

TitansFan92
09-05-15, 03:33 PM
We are a bunch of soft c@$ks except Ryan James

Nah Ryan James just wants to fight everyone. He has poor discipline and needs to pull his head in. I have had enough I have switched the game off. A piss poor effort and a sad excuse for an NRL side today.

JunctionBlock
09-05-15, 03:33 PM
We are becoming Canberra's highlight real.

Toads
09-05-15, 03:34 PM
Looks like 50+ is going to put on us today. :doh:

JunctionBlock
09-05-15, 03:36 PM
As a Queenslander, if there's one positive, hopefully we just played Austin into a NSW jersey.

That and we will go under the radar again as a team to take seriously for our next couple of games.

lonegull
09-05-15, 03:42 PM
Nah Ryan James just wants to fight everyone. He has poor discipline and needs to pull his head in. I have had enough I have switched the game off. A piss poor effort and a sad excuse for an NRL side today.

Without James showing some aggression today Canberra would of put a heap more points on us I know he gave away a few
Penalties but at least he he showed a bit of passion not like a few other blokes just playing for a pay cheque

teke
09-05-15, 03:43 PM
Raiders have dug in behind Roberts defensive position all day,

JunctionBlock
09-05-15, 03:44 PM
Wow, Canberra are lining up to score. Once they are within our twenty it's just a matter of guessing which "tackle" they'll score on. We can't even wrap up their smaller guys from offloading.

titanfan1980
09-05-15, 03:44 PM

Lol we get it you hate Ryan James even in recent weeks he's been one of our better performers you still find a way to rip into him, just so you know he's not being spoke about origin circles cause he's going bad haha ease up and put the haterade away

JunctionBlock
09-05-15, 03:46 PM
Aiden sezer can stay down there. Hands Lee a gift.

gotitans101_
09-05-15, 03:46 PM
hey Sezer, leave those passes to LG hey?

titanfan1980
09-05-15, 03:47 PM
Right hand edge has just been decimated almost all there try's that way

Hail Sezer
09-05-15, 03:50 PM
Wish Jimmy had the lungs to go an extra 10 metres. Would've had him.

Very disappointing today on a lot of fronts. We're so far away from our structures.

- - - Updated - - -

lol oh wow

teke
09-05-15, 03:51 PM
Told u, Greg bird disappearing from the right means big trouble

gotitans101_
09-05-15, 03:51 PM
couldn't watch anymore of that rubbish, we looked slow and disinterested, forward pack got hammered, outside backs shirt pulling again. zzzz

TitansFan92
09-05-15, 03:52 PM
Lol we get it you hate Ryan James even in recent weeks he's been one of our better performers you still find a way to rip into him, just so you know he's not being spoke about origin circles cause he's going bad haha ease up and put the haterade away

Last time I checked I am aloud to have an opinion you don't like it not my problem. I don't hate Ryan actually far from it but his discipline is letting him down.

JunctionBlock
09-05-15, 03:54 PM
Has Elgey gone off for the second half. He deadset hasn't seen any ball. Now that I say that, have we had an attacking set in the second half?

Great offload Burr, might want to strap some side mirrors on to him next week so he can see if there are any Titans around.

Toads
09-05-15, 03:55 PM
Got me ****ed why the NRL brought in the time off rule in the last five minutes of play, early this year. No Ref ever seems to call it..

gotitans101_
09-05-15, 03:55 PM
^^

Not a lot Elgey / Sezer could do in that second half when the Raiders are ploughing through our forwards all night. Seriously tonight just proved how sh*thouse our forwards are compared to most teams in the NRL.

lonegull
09-05-15, 03:56 PM
Need to move quickly to next week and get that loss out of our system

Titanic
09-05-15, 04:06 PM
got off a plane in LA and caught the last 2 minutes :) what was that?

gotitans101_
09-05-15, 04:11 PM
got off a plane in LA and caught the last 2 minutes :) what was that?

you don't even wanna know.

Titanic Believer
09-05-15, 04:13 PM
They went up the middle. It has been our weakness. Bird does make a difference, The score would have been much worse without Ryan James. He was the only player with any impact I hardly saw Taylor in the second half. Basically there is a lot of rebuilding still to do and while the Raiders are in form, I don't really think at our best we can monster any team. We may have some wins when others are off their game but not when the other teams are at their best. It's time to find some dominant forwards and the rebuilding begins when Myles leaves. Don't get me wrong Myles tackles his heart out but he has no attacking impact.

JunctionBlock
09-05-15, 04:15 PM
Ok, positivity. Burr is still doing some dumb sh!t but at least he's having a hard go. Made more metres than anyone else. Up there with the tackle count too. Hoffman didn't look terrible in a terrible team. James showed what he's capable of. I thought he was our best, it's a shame the rest of the team didn't follow. He conceded one penalty.

Hail Sezer
09-05-15, 04:21 PM
Yeah agree with you JB I thought James and Hoffman were our best, with Moseley also providing some nice plays albeit some poor defence. Burr is very raw but has a high workrate and like you said he really has a go. A lot of learning to do but I really am a fan of him and have faith in him.

Taylor was almost non-existant and with Bird's suspension he really needed to step up. Disappointing.

K2G
09-05-15, 04:22 PM
We looked for short-cuts that whole second half. wild passes, hail-mary kicks, short kick off, harassing the reffs for penalties... Looked afraid of the hard work - but there was still enough there to be positive about i thought. Like the panthers thrashing, I think it'll be one of those losses we take a lot out of tbh. How to deal with disappointing reffing and harsh penalties needs to be addressed by the coach.

Elgey was far too quiet and Sezer far too dominant today. Other than our forwards getting smashed, that was the biggest difference between today and our last few wins i thought. Elgey will learn to call the shots with experience.

Ryan James was huge for us on both sides of the ball. Bagging him is ridiculous. Petty had some great moments too, and Douglas had a typically solid game. If we had another James and Pettybourne in our pack, we'd be a much better team.

Hopefully Myles makes his mind up about his future soon. He has made some epic cover tackles for us over our last two games - but he just doesn't seem to be all there for us right now.

White is a bit of a waste of space off the bench. Would love for us to sign a big forward before June 30.

Ioane probably needs to string a few together before he shows his worth, and Taylor the big idiot tried his guts out, but also needs a few games to get back up to speed.

Burr is coming on nicely. He is going to be a good one.

Mosesely also showed his inexperience with that butchered try today - would've scored himself had he dummied before wighton lined him up, but his work to create the line-break was special.

Mead had a shocker.... but I really liked what Hoffman provided for us today. Zillman was nowhere to be seen.

Lee and Croker pwnd Roberts today - but if anyone deserves a pass, it's probably jimmy who like Taylor, always tries his guts out.

Mortimer was meh. Made a few silly decisions like the 'who do i pass it too' 360 spin around on the fifth tackle - but between him and falloon ... i'd probably rather persevere with morts.

Love Don's work for us. Could've got more involved - but is becoming a bit of a danger man for us out on the left.

Tough loss, but I think we will bounce back and be better for it.

Smakked
09-05-15, 04:28 PM
That was the worst defensive effort i have seen by any team for a long while. Cant believe we couldn't put players on their back at all.

rj62
09-05-15, 04:29 PM
Two weeks ago most here (me included) were jumping through hoops with the excitement of what our team did. Today everyone wants the entire team sacked and changed and people here are even having a go at each other amd also criticized everyone and everything.

Reminds me of Bronco supporters. Sadly.

I get that frustration leads to this but Jesus it makes for ordinary reading. Fact is we won't be world beaters right away because we won a few on the trot. We won't be world beaters right away because we signed LG. we won't be world beaters the day DCE turns up and we certainly won't be world beaters with members who are continually critical to the point of extreme when we have a loss albeit a big one.
If you can coach better, or recruit better or get more out of who we have, get in there and have a go, otherwise just support the team ffs.

I actually thought we were due for a loss off the back of these past 3 wins and Canberra in Canberra can always be a tough one on the right day. Today was the right day for them.

I'd rather look ahead than back and I'd rather stand behind the people running the show at the moment than stab their eyes out with a rusty knife. I reckon they know a shed load more than I and most of us here will ever know about what's happening on and off the field with the players, club, facilities and contracts.

Just my 2 cents worth....

JunctionBlock
09-05-15, 04:31 PM
Just to show how much our right side defence is going to get hammered, Don didn't make one tackle today. Didn't have too.

DavidBouveng
09-05-15, 04:33 PM
not a huge amount to say. hoff was really good in a beaten team. I like Burr. James also.

most others were quiet or just got outplayed.

our 'inspirational leader' has had two poor games inside a week and maybe it is he who has his value incorrect, not the titans.

as for Bird... anyone saying we wouldnt have got flogged with him playing are kidding. he's no better than James for temper / attitude and when it comes to the end of the game and all is lost he is just as likely to do something and get him self suspended as he is to help us.

across the board we were down, and maybe it brings us down to earth after all our positive press and wins lately.

on a totally different note...i thought Don was a head down bum up 100% attitude guy... but his one handed carry of the ball today for his tries was a bit risky, as was him flicking it in goal. i didn't mind the flick actually, as he backed his skill, but it doesnt seem like the Don i thought he was. hope they quietly coach him to use two hands where possible ( iknow on one of his tries he only could use one hand)

p.s. Mortimer was fine today. no problems with him coming off bench

gotitans101_
09-05-15, 04:35 PM
I actually thought we were due for a loss off the back of these past 3 wins and Canberra in Canberra can always be a tough one on the right day. Today was the right day for them.

We were due for a loss yes, but can you really blame people for being angry for losing the way we did? We are the first team to have 50 put on us this year, that's just not good enough.

Titanic Believer
09-05-15, 04:41 PM
How can a big hulk like Taylor only have 21 run metres?

rj62
09-05-15, 04:48 PM
We were due for a loss yes, but can you really blame people for being angry for losing the way we did? We are the first team to have 50 put on us this year, that's just not good enough.

I don't like it either, not one bit but I also know spewing vitriol here won't make us a better football side.

K2G
09-05-15, 04:53 PM
not a huge amount to say. hoff was really good in a beaten team. I like Burr. James also.

most others were quiet or just got outplayed.

our 'inspirational leader' has had two poor games inside a week and maybe it is he who has his value incorrect, not the titans.

as for Bird... anyone saying we wouldnt have got flogged with him playing are kidding. he's no better than James for temper / attitude and when it comes to the end of the game and all is lost he is just as likely to do something and get him self suspended as he is to help us.

across the board we were down, and maybe it brings us down to earth after all our positive press and wins lately.

on a totally different note...i thought Don was a head down bum up 100% attitude guy... but his one handed carry of the ball today for his tries was a bit risky, as was him flicking it in goal. i didn't mind the flick actually, as he backed his skill, but it doesnt seem like the Don i thought he was. hope they quietly coach him to use two hands where possible ( iknow on one of his tries he only could use one hand)

p.s. Mortimer was fine today. no problems with him coming off bench

Good post mate.

The one area where I thought we missed Bird today, was his influence on Sezer on that right side. I think Bird simplifies Aiden's game if only by demanding the ball so often. Sezer really looked confused with options today. He has the skills to do it all, but often chooses the wrong option, or by thinking too long reduces his time to make the right choice. Bird helps him play smart imo. That we didn't force one drop out, or attempt to do so more often was criminal i thought. With all those big boys Canberra have, I expected us to be turning them around far more than we did.

But I agree, Bird in and of himself doesn't help us stop/score 40 points.

Completely agree with your sentiments re: Myles - kidding himself if he thinks he's earned a pay rise. We will miss his intangibles if he goes, but not enough to break the bank for.

Also, I think Don doesn't score either of his two one-handed tries, had he taken your advice mate. Unless he learns to get lower, sooner and spear in, his one handed efforts are the only way we score those tries. His in goal passing is another story...

Love your posts recently DB. Quality.

DavidBouveng
09-05-15, 04:59 PM
cheers mate.

i will re watch his tries again...but his first one he definitely had time and space to use two hands. second one he strode over and diced with a few defenders trying to get closer to posts... he just seemed a bit balls out today.
last one was a miracle and only possible with one hand, both knees up, boths feet up, and sphincter tightened to extreme levels.

it was just a prevailing cavalier way of carrying ball that will one day come back to bite us if he isn't careful. more than that...i just never saw Don that way. Maybe its the bushie in him, but i thought he was a really cautious player.

EDIT: i re watched them just now. first one was closer than i thought. but i think even running and diving exactly the way he was, two hands was better and possible. especially when hes carrying it in the arm the defenders coming from. doesnt take much to jolt it out.

but he scored 3 tries, played well....i think its a lesson he can earn from before it hurts us.

DavidBouveng
09-05-15, 05:13 PM
as for losing, im very ok with it. you learn from losing more than winning, and we need to be a team that learns as much this year as possible as DCE brings alot of expectation to us.

Burr is progressing, LG is moving along. James is breaking out along with Roberts. Hoff and Zill are jostling and sorting out who is the best. The rest of the pack is falling into a pecking order (petty near top, white down bottom).

Hopefully we learnt a bit about defence today, and improve our ruck work. I trust the new coaching regimen to adjust and make the changes to our game more than the former crew would have.

K2G
09-05-15, 05:14 PM
cheers mate.

i will re watch his tries again...but his first one he definitely had time and space to use two hands. second one he strode over and diced with a few defenders trying to get closer to posts...but even then you can use two hands.

last one was a miracle and only possible with one hand, both knees up, boths feet up, and sphincter tightened to extreme levels.

it was just a prevailing cavalier way of carrying ball that will one day come back to bite us if he isn't careful. more than that...i just never saw Don that way. Maybe its the bushie in him, but i thought he was a really cautious player.

Okay, I'll give you the first try. He could've used two hands on the put down there - Im sure he's argument would be that he was trying to help out his goal kicker as much as possible by bringing the kick in from the sideline as much as possible.

The second try right on half-time was a two hand carry right up until the the moment he bent over to put it down. Same argument as above, but he'd have to be experience zillman levels of un-cordination to fumble that put down.

Third try - had to be one handed.

I say - Keep it up Don!! Those hands are golden.

And, by the way 'Bushy' ??!! Have you ever been to Grafton?! Cracking night life. :laugh:

DavidBouveng
09-05-15, 05:23 PM
Okay, I'll give you the first try. He could've used two hands on the put down there - Im sure he's argument would be that he was trying to help out his goal kicker as much as possible by bringing the kick in from the sideline as much as possible.

The second try right on half-time was a two hand carry right up until the the moment he bent over to put it down. Same argument as above, but he'd have to be experience zillman levels of un-cordination to fumble that put down.

Third try - had to be one handed.

I say - Keep it up Don!! Those hands are golden.

And, by the way 'Bushy' ??!! Have you ever been to Grafton?! Cracking night life. :laugh:

i spent a month there one night let me tell you....

i edited my comment about the second try. he did have two hands the whole way.

DIEHARD
09-05-15, 06:55 PM
Wow, that is a disappointing result. But I managed to sit through the game. Highlight of the game was Don's hatrick and not too much else.

DIEHARD
09-05-15, 06:58 PM
Raiders romp to victory over Titans

Canberra have broken through for their first home win of the NRL season, smashing Gold Coast 56-16.

The Raiders had lost all three previous matches at GIO Stadium, something they hadn't managed to do since 1982 in the club's first year in the premiership.

But, led by their red-hot five-eighth Blake Austin, Ricky Stuart's men avoided such unwanted history with a dominant performance against a Titans outfit missing suspended star Greg Bird.

Austin and skipper Jarrod Croker scored two tries each, with Paul Vaughan, Jordan Rapana, Josh Papalii, Sia Soliola, Edrick Lee and Sam Williams also crossing over for the Raiders' third win on the trot.

Anthony Don was the Titans' only try-scorer with a hat-trick.

Croker's double takes his career tally to 73, making him the club's fifth-leading try-scorer of all time - overtaking Noa Nadruku.

Austin, fresh from scoring a hat-trick in last week's City-Country clash, opened the Raiders' account with a one-man try in the sixth minute.

With a clever goosestep the No.6 fooled big man Dave Taylor and strolled over the line unaided.

But an Austin mistake on the next set proved costly, his poor pass leading to an Anthony Don try on the left-hand edge from a perfectly-weighted kick by Aiden Sezer.

In-form prop Paul Vaughan bit back with a barnstorming four-pointer of his own in the 18th minute, the conversion giving the Raiders a 12-4 lead.

Back-to-back converted tries to skipper Jarrod Croker and Jordan Rapana blew that out to 24-4.

It was Rapana's 11th try in 15 games and came the day after signing a new two-year deal.

Despite dominating the half, the Raiders let Don through for his second of the afternoon just thirty seconds before the break.

Don added a career-first third early in the second half to close the gap to just eight points.

But it was Austin, yet again, who saved the day with more light footwork to bring up his double in the 52nd minute.

It all went the Raiders way after that, Croker nabbing his second and Papalii, Soliola, Lee and Williams adding the others over the final 25 minutes.

Canberra Raiders 56 (Blake Austin 2, Jarrod Croker 2, Paul Vaughan, Jordan Rapana, Josh Papalii, Sia Soliola, Edrick Lee, Sam Williams tries; Jarrod Croker 8 goals) def. Gold Coast Titans 16 (Anthony Don 3 tries; Aidan Sezer 2 goals) at GIO Stadium. Crowd: 8116. Half-time: Raiders 24-10.

http://www.nrl.com/

Supergoose
09-05-15, 07:00 PM
Wow, that was painful to watch. We just couldn't stop them. I agree that we didn't ingratiate ourselves with the refs and the Raiders seemed to get every 50/50 call. How were they allowed to stand and offload after 3 and 4 seconds of no motion and the held calls seemed to take forever. We were always milking but they attracted penalties. The reffing was no excuse but it was awful, nearly as bad as our defence. Our right side was bad but not as bad as our middle which was trampled. They just seemed too big and too strong, I hope it was just a case off us just not turning up today and not a sign of things to come.

DIEHARD
09-05-15, 07:02 PM
Raiders v Titans: Five key points

Canberra put 10 tries past Gold Coast in their Round 9 Telstra Premiership clash. Here are five key points from the Raiders' thrashing of the Titans.

Austin pushes Origin claim

Blake Austin's incredible 2015 season just keeps getting better. He was at his mesmerising best against Gold Coast, stepping off his dynamic left foot to make two clean try-scoring breaks.

Just one week after scoring a hat-trick in the Country-City fixture, Austin also defended well, most notably with a brilliant cover tackle to deny the Titans a certain try in the 62nd minute.

Despite being well and truly off the radar just two weeks ago, the Raiders five-eighth is now firming as a NSW Blues bolter with his sublime form.

After the game it seemed he had more admirers in the opposition team than his own.

"He's a runner and he's strong, he's quite quick and he supports the ball," Titans coach Neil Henry said.

"He can be a handful if you show him some space and we certainly gave him some opportunities today. We're just disappointed in how we let Blake Austin (through), you can talk about his step all you like… but he still went through us.

"We handled him in the back end of the game… but that needed to happen right at the start."

Meanwhile Raiders coach Ricky Stuart did his best to extinguish Origin interest in Austin.

"We're not looking at rep selection were just worrying about him playing for the Raiders and keeping a little bit of stability in his game," Stuart said.

"He's just doing his job for us… we wont be talking about rep football with our players."

Titans will continue to miss Bird's aggression

The Titans sorely missed Greg Bird against the Raiders, and they will continue to do so in his absence.

The suspended Origin star wouldn't have been able to do enough to arrest the 40-point deficit his team eventually fell to, but there were enough signs on Saturday to show that the Titans may struggle against big, aggressive forward packs in upcoming weeks.

Bird has been a constant presence of toughness and aggression in the middle of the field at his time in the Titans, a presence his teammates couldn't manage to cover for.

After the match Neil Henry touched on the controversial policy that has star players suspended whilst playing representative football missing out on Telstra Premiership matches for their clubs.

"We can't do anything about it," Henry said.

"It is a bit of a grey area around if you get suspended representing your country or playing State of Origin, but he had a loading regardless. We just need to cope with that, he could have been out eight weeks with an injury.

"We're fairly healthy as a squad at the moment, we're just missing Greg and it so that's not an excuse for that performance. We're very disappointed… we need to do some soul searching this week and turn up next week."

The Raiders' 2015 purchases shaping as NRL's best buys

Following the announcement of Anthony Milford's departure in 2014, Ricky Stuart and the Raiders mounted an aggressive recruitment drive.

They hotly pursued big names like Kevin Proctor, James Tedesco and Michael Ennis with little luck, and in turn they were widely written-off for season 2015.

In the end Stuart seemingly settled for a bunch of solid purchases, with names like Sisa Waqa, Sam Williams, Frank-Paul Nu'uausala, Josh Hodgson, Sia Soliola and Blake Austin agreeing to ply their trade in the nation's capital.

But against the Titans the 2105 Raiders proved that they are much more than just a solid bunch of recruits. Each of them were in blistering form, justifying Stuart's eye for a good buy.

With their first home win of the season the Canberra Raiders have confirmed they aren't pretenders in the 2015 NRL season.

"I think there's been some astute recruitment and it's working," Henry, a former NRL Coach of the Year recipient while coaching the Raiders, said.

"It's about getting some seasoned first graders around the young crop that they have here and they've brought through their development system.

"I think they do a great job with bringing players through - Croker and Wighton those guys are playing good footy."

James stands tall for fallen Titans

Against a big Raiders forward pack that have been rolling through their opposition in recent weeks, the pressure fell on Titans hard-man Ryan James to make up for Greg Bird's absence.

James ended up having a strong performance, refusing to take a backward step against some of the Raiders big forwards, especially Frank-Paul Nu'uausala.

Despite some commentators suggesting that James was ill-disciplined and allowed his running battles to take him off focus, his aggression was essential in order to halt the Raiders momentum.

"I don't think he overdid it," Neil Henry said.

"I think he was in a battle there with Frank-Paul, I think it was good footy.

"I don't mind that match up, I thought he was outstanding for us and we need more of it."

Canberra's forward pack are dominating the middle

For a third-straight week, the Raiders forward pack has looked at times unstoppable rolling down the middle of the field.

Big Shannon Boyd refused to be brought down, Frank-Paul Nu'uausala was hard as nails and Paul Vaughan never stopped charging the ball forward.

Without the big names of other packs, the Raiders forwards are all in a similar class and have no loose ends.

A proud man, Titans captain Nate Myles' curt response to questioning on how tough the Raiders forward pack were said a lot.

"Yeah they were good," Myles said flatly.

Raiders captain Jarrod Croker provided a little more insight, saying: "It's good to see 17 blokes on the field all playing well and doing their job."

http://www.nrl.com/

DIEHARD
09-05-15, 07:03 PM
Match Highlights: Raiders v Titans
<script height="349px" width="620px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=fd5fc71d2bcc4b60a622cf8d3348d605&ec=Y4b2t5dDqfZafMWSb9AbikBMhySq8flJ"></script>

Smakked
09-05-15, 08:00 PM
Cant see how they are saying Austin for origin , i cant see it myself he is way off it yet.

DavidBouveng
09-05-15, 09:09 PM
i think he is playing out of his skin compared to other contenders. i wouldn't want him coming on just before half time at the moment.

even as first choice number 6, he will bring as much as reynolds and more. maybe not quite as much as Maloney CAN, but is bringing more right now.

i generally believe you need to do it for a full year before you get picked for rep, just to make sure you weren't on a short lived hot streak.

Titanic
10-05-15, 12:27 AM
No doubt Austin has the form … Ioane is just too small for this level and White a hangover of our past … otherwise just a really poor effort from the usual suspects.

Whats Doing
10-05-15, 08:21 AM
Sezer has been always been soft in defence but yesterday was a new low. Also whilst Mosely is good in attack, he is also an arm grabber in defence.

Overall yesterday's performance was totally unacceptable and the titans won't have credibility until their attitude and technique in defence improves markedly.

teke
10-05-15, 10:27 AM
Raiders shredded the Titans middle which allowed them to target specific areas on the fringe.

Ricky has that team going well

TITAN PETE
10-05-15, 11:06 AM
The game doesn't deserve a comment except to say well done to Austin #onfire

DIEHARD
10-05-15, 12:49 PM
It really was a bottom shelf, humiliation. 56 points at this level is awful. And we scored points outwide.

Hey Pete, surely Don deserves mention? Three tries!

DavidBouveng
10-05-15, 06:09 PM
Raiders scored in the 68th, 70th, 72nd, 74th, 75th and 77th minute. six tries in 10 minutes.... gotta be a record.

Mexican titan
10-05-15, 06:23 PM
Disappointing to read all the comments after a few weeks of nothing but positives. I might be getting old and forgiving but it is a year of rebuilding and a few tipped some hidings along the way. At least we'll see who is worth keeping but you could see after the first try that we were not on our game.
Only caught the first 20 and then had scores on the app as I went to see what the opposition was doing. The Suns have crowd fudging down to a fine art as they announced in excess of 12k - 8k max. and the game was as boring as batsh1t. Sorry, don't want to hijack the thread, although it has probably run it's race.
Get back on the horse now for the Sharks.

DIEHARD
10-05-15, 07:29 PM
Hopefully our crowds and future are on the upswing. I'm confident. I could handle a blow out but this was probably a dozen more points than I could tolerate.

Anyway good on Canberra. Their fans are loyal and loud as well.

DavidBouveng
10-05-15, 07:51 PM
Disappointing to read all the comments after a few weeks of nothing but positives. I might be getting old and forgiving but it is a year of rebuilding and a few tipped some hidings along the way. At least we'll see who is worth keeping but you could see after the first try that we were not on our game.
Only caught the first 20 and then had scores on the app as I went to see what the opposition was doing. The Suns have crowd fudging down to a fine art as they announced in excess of 12k - 8k max. and the game was as boring as batsh1t. Sorry, don't want to hijack the thread, although it has probably run it's race.
Get back on the horse now for the Sharks.

its funny the Suns are having their annus horribilis in their 5th year...just like we did.
coming off their breakout year...just like we did
and crowds tumbled...just like ours did.

everyone spouting their success was comparing apples v oranges. our trajectory and crowds were on par with their's year for year roughly...and now we see how they go about digging themselves out like we are beginning to, although we have had to do it without $100M plus sprinkled on us. I actually don't mind AFL or the suns...just the people that death ride us and look down their nose from the sport.

the suns crowds are most certainly fudged...but its much harder to see the blank seats on Tv for Metricon than Cbus so it goes unspoken.

anyways, i personally dont think i have been too negative. quick touch up on a couple of points, but i'm not too fussed. i see the path we are on, trust the club now for the first time in forever and with our better attack and young players..we gonna cop a pasting time to time. consistency is one of the last ingredients to fall into place usually.

Bayside Titan
10-05-15, 08:34 PM
I backed us to loose this game. I thought that our bubble would burst. We were in the game in the first half I thought but got blown away in the second. I thought we got out in our place. Not worried at all with the loss as I saw that some players were having a go and that was enough for me.

At the start of the season I picked we would finish 9-12 anything above is a bonus. I just remind myself that it a rebuilding year and temper my expectations.

Numbers
10-05-15, 11:09 PM
Raiders scored in the 68th, 70th, 72nd, 74th, 75th and 77th minute. six tries in 10 minutes.... gotta be a record.

It was three tries. The scores in the 70th, 74th and 77th minutes were the conversions.

Titanic
11-05-15, 12:32 AM
I have no real issue with such a blow-out … as the only 13-16 finish in 2015 death-rider, this is the type of roller-coaster I expected and have seen nothing to change my mind at all.

However, the better structures, the exposure of our up-coming players and the shedding of the deadwood from our roster which is the majority of the 2014 squad is very reassuring … not disappointing at all … bring it on, suck it up and look towards a much brighter future.

DIEHARD
11-05-15, 04:11 PM
the suns crowds are most certainly fudged...but its much harder to see the blank seats on Tv for Metricon than Cbus so it goes unspoken.

Yea even their loyal fans are saying the same thing and it's turning into a joke.

DavidBouveng
11-05-15, 04:25 PM
ha it did seems quite fast didnt it? thanks for correcting