PDA

View Full Version : My Titans dream

Cliffy GC
06-03-06, 09:32 AM
Been thinking about this alot lately

and i have to be honest, i want to see the titans do well for a couple of reason, the first one and the obvious one is im a gold coaster and have lived here almost 25 years but the other one and the more evil reason is i want to see brisbane fall and fall badly. I want to see young talented kids from SE qld grow up and choose the Titans over the broncos, i want league fans to choose the Titans over the broncos, i want to see the broncos endure seasons with out finals apperances it would be really interesting to see their fans. Brisbane fans have been spoilt for 19 years i want to see how they cope with the lean times fans of all other clubs have to deal.

I may sound, evil, vindictive and maybe a bit bitter but i cant wait to see them suffer, after all if it wasnt for the broncos and news ltd we would still be supporting the Chargers.

Go the titans

Eel 33
06-03-06, 09:39 AM
:yell: Amen Cliffy. The Broncos have been successful from the outset, and it's something the Titans can aspire to. The Broncos are way overdue for a bad patch of missing finals for a few seasons. They will then know what it feels like. Who knows, there may've been another name change in the ensuing time. Hopefully when the tme comes, the rest of the NRL teams will "join together" and push the broncos out of the finals. Maybe then if it happens often enough, we will see the sudden and deathly quiet departure of Wayne Bennett.

lonegull
06-03-06, 10:14 AM
I think with the structures in place this time round the titans will be successful both on and off the field the programs the management have in place will make sure of it

Queenslander
06-03-06, 10:42 AM
The inclusion of another team in SE QLD was to help bring together all fans of in this area together and not dream of the downfall of another team. I am a Broncos fan; but I wouldnt like to see this happen to any club. The idea of including a team in a competition just to destroy another is just plain stupid. What sort of NRL would you like? One that is joined together to bring the best Rugby League to the people or one that creates conflict between teams and fans. That may be your dream CliffGC but its a fools dream

RIP
06-03-06, 11:35 AM
We do need a punch back in league We need a bit of team rivalry go live your dreams cliffy anything is possible :thumbsup:

Dakink
06-03-06, 12:56 PM
Amen to that Cliffy - anytime the Broncos suffer I am in heaven!

TITANS007
06-03-06, 01:54 PM
Been thinking about this alot lately

and i have to be honest, i want to see the titans do well for a couple of reason, the first one and the obvious one is im a gold coaster and have lived here almost 25 years but the other one and the more evil reason is i want to see brisbane fall and fall badly. I want to see young talented kids from SE qld grow up and choose the Titans over the broncos, i want league fans to choose the Titans over the broncos, i want to see the broncos endure seasons with out finals apperances it would be really interesting to see their fans. Brisbane fans have been spoilt for 19 years i want to see how they cope with the lean times fans of all other clubs have to deal.

I may sound, evil, vindictive and maybe a bit bitter but i cant wait to see them suffer, after all if it wasnt for the broncos and news ltd we would still be supporting the Chargers.

Go the titans

I want to see the Titans blow away the competition also, but I don't agree to seeing the Broncos suffer. I think they have been suffering enough over the past few years not making the GF. This is largely due to them being plagued with injury (Along with some other clubs) and I don't wish injury on any player.

I think that as long as the Titans do BETTER than the Broncos, then you should be satisfied. ;) We should really be getting behind all of the QLd teams in some form because come SOO time, you will be cheering for some of the Broncos and Cowboys players to do well along with the Titans boys in the side. :thumbsup:

Dakink
06-03-06, 04:28 PM
Sorry I want them to really really suffer - a spell in the wooden spoon (as unlikely as that will ever be!) would suit me just fine!

DeeGan
06-03-06, 05:39 PM
Hoping to see a Queensland rugby league team suffer is not my idea of a "dream" - we as a State need all three teams doing well in 2007 and beyond to ensure success at the grass roots and more importantly come State of Origin time. If we wish for Brisbane to "fall and fall badly", ask yourself, who does the Brisbane youngster choose to follow when the Brisbane Lions are doing well?

I applaud the success and longevity of Brisbane and the Newcastle Knights who entered the competition back in 1988 with us (as the Giants). We as a club could learn alot from a team like the Brisbane Broncos who set the standard for professionalism many years ago for ALL NRL clubs and their blueprint has been used many times over by those who had to catch up.

I am all for stirring the Brisbane vs Gold Coast rivalry - no questions asked, though I won't for one minute wish for ANY Queensland rugby league club in the NRL to suffer periods of a "lean trot".

MOPL
06-03-06, 05:50 PM
Cliffy
Spoken like a true Manly supporter where your best days are behind you. From the side that went broke, engulfed North Sydney and sent them packing into the wilderness.

The Club who single handily bought the heart and soul from Western Suburbs whilst trying to buy a premiership back in the 80's they forgot about local talent and skill and Parramatta

But to Manly's credit they have not stopped trying to buy a Premiership in fact they had some success under "Two Bob Fulton" who bought almost an entire side to beat St George in 96 and they are Ian Roberts, Mark Carroll, Craig Innes, Matthew Ridge, Cliff Lyons, Nic Kosef, David Gillespie, Jim Sedaris, Terry Hill, Craig Feild, Neil Teirney not bad 11 out of 13.

Any how under Des Hasler you have continued to buy players and you have continued to fail looks like another great year for thr Sea Gulls bet you can't wait to support a winnning side in 2007

DeeGan
06-03-06, 05:57 PM
Hoping to see a Queensland rugby league team suffer is not my idea of a "dream" - we as a State need all three teams doing well in 2007 and beyond to ensure success at the grass roots and more importantly come State of Origin time. If we wish for Brisbane to "fall and fall badly", ask yourself, who does the Brisbane youngster choose to follow when the Brisbane Lions are doing well?

I applaud the success and longevity of Brisbane and the Newcastle Knights who entered the competition back in 1988 with us (as the Giants). We as a club could learn alot from a team like the Brisbane Broncos who set the standard for professionalism many years ago for ALL NRL clubs and their blueprint has been used many times over by those who had to catch up.

I am all for stirring the Brisbane vs Gold Coast rivalry - no questions asked, though I won't for one minute wish for ANY Queensland rugby league club in the NRL to suffer periods of a "lean trot".

One thing I will add is this: the Super League war whilst not forgotten and forever a blight on our game is best left in the past. I can not forgive what News Ltd. and co. did to the game though I am prepared to cross the bridge in order to see our game continually grow and improve rebuilding from that period.

Steve Dangerous
06-03-06, 06:29 PM
I'm going to have to agree with queenslander and deegan here.

my support is for gold coast to do well, not for other teams to fail. and if our entry did cause a downfall in brisbane than that would be a sign that it wasn't the right time to let us in, and i don't agree with that at all. i want to see all qld teams thriving and league in qld to be healthy. it'll be a great feeling if we beat brisbane in a match, but as competitive rivals not cut-throat enemies.

The Original Idiot
06-03-06, 08:57 PM
I don't really wish hard times on any team, cause I like a nice even comp where different teams are at the business end each year. But I'll make a special exception for the Broncos. They haven't been out of the finals for a while. They have had such a large talent pool to pick from as well. I'd like to see them going through a rough patch for a couple of years. I want to see teams like Canberra, Souths and NZ in the Final Four.

Steelers
06-03-06, 09:35 PM
I am sick of the monopoly the Broncos have in QLD. Thankfully recently the Cowboys have gained some support so it is shared, but every 2nd person you ask here in SE QLD is a Broncos supporter.

Cliffy GC
06-03-06, 09:41 PM
Cliffy
Spoken like a true Manly supporter where your best days are behind you. From the side that went broke, engulfed North Sydney and sent them packing into the wilderness.

The Club who single handily bought the heart and soul from Western Suburbs whilst trying to buy a premiership back in the 80's they forgot about local talent and skill and Parramatta

But to Manly's credit they have not stopped trying to buy a Premiership in fact they had some success under "Two Bob Fulton" who bought almost an entire side to beat St George in 96 and they are Ian Roberts, Mark Carroll, Craig Innes, Matthew Ridge, Cliff Lyons, Nic Kosef, David Gillespie, Jim Sedaris, Terry Hill, Craig Feild, Neil Teirney not bad 11 out of 13.

Any how under Des Hasler you have continued to buy players and you have continued to fail looks like another great year for thr Sea Gulls bet you can't wait to support a winnning side in 2007
hahahha one of ure best cyclops

dont u love the brisbane fans and their one eyes.

I gotta disagree with deegan on this one.

Can someone tell me what brisbane did for QLD Rugby league when they masterminded super league an event that single handedly killed two queensland clubs and then signed an exclusivity clause preventing another sE qld club for 6 seasons.

All i can say is red hill has alot to answer for and i cant wait for them to be number 3 in QLD behind the titans and cowboys.

Steve Dangerous
06-03-06, 10:52 PM
I am sick of the monopoly the Broncos have in QLD. Thankfully recently the Cowboys have gained some support so it is shared, but every 2nd person you ask here in SE QLD is a Broncos supporter.

i think it's good to support the local team... which is why i'm proudly a titan. makes a lot more sense than just picking a team.

Cliffy GC
06-03-06, 11:17 PM
i think it's good to support the local team... which is why i'm proudly a titan. makes a lot more sense than just picking a team.
great point

in 2007 i will have manly - the club representing the area i was born and family come from and The titans, the club representing the area i have lived for the last 20 odd years.

I really dont understand people who chop and change their loyalities.

MOPL
07-03-06, 09:58 AM
Poor Cliffy
What a pity you can't see the trees for the forrest. My point was 100% accurate, Manly have constantly plundered others players forcing those plundered to continue to develope locals. The lesson for the Titans is to use and develope local talent and mix in quality players not simply buy "champions" as you have seen in the cricket when the world side toured a teams of champions will not beat a champion team.

And for the record i am not a Bronco's supporter, although the culture and business sassy they have used over the last 19years is a lesson to all in the game on how to successfully operate a Club and Football side.

They are (Bronco's) and have been in the comp for the long term something the Titans should aspire to and for Titans supporters to focus on the "long waiting downfall" of the Broncos shows your short sightedness as there will be another 14 teams to beat before you are the best.

So try to be objective and encourage others, welcome competition as the Titans have been welcomed, we don't need bad blood amongst Queenslanders as we should be proud our state has 3 teams in the NRL AND WE WANT THEM ALL TO SUCCEED

Titanium_BD1103
07-03-06, 10:54 AM
Well said there MOPL and I agree with you.. having been a Norths supporter when that all occured.. :(

As for Cliffy... mate I know we all dislike the Broncos... but to want them to fail and suffer.. well that is just going too far IMO... I know I want the Roosters to do badly.. but I never would want them to fail and have to leave the comp... NO TEAM DESERVES THAT NO MATTER NOW MUCH YOU DISLIKE THEM.. :)

I hope that the Titans, Broncos and Cowboys and serve all of Queensland and make rugby league in QLD stronger. I hope they all succeed and provide great rivalry and that the NRL stays strong for many a time to come.

Sure people make mistakes... but we all have to forgive some time.. if we don't we turn bitter and twisted. Brisbane was not the only club to make that mistake with Super League... my club and others did too.. and paid the price in the long term. Mistakes happen though.. and we must all learn to get over them in due time.

I know people will hate me for saying this... but as much as I hate Super League and what it did to the game... it set up the game for what it is today... if there had been no war, then the game would still be on the same level IMO as it was 10 years ago in terms of promotion, business nouce and club admin... but that is just my opinion there... ;)

Eel 33
07-03-06, 11:00 AM
:yell: Amen Cliffy. The Broncos have been successful from the outset, and it's something the Titans can aspire to. The Broncos are way overdue for a bad patch of missing finals for a few seasons. They will then know what it feels like. Who knows, there may've been another name change in the ensuing time. Hopefully when the tme comes, the rest of the NRL teams will "join together" and push the broncos out of the finals. Maybe then if it happens often enough, we will see the sudden and deathly quiet departure of Wayne Bennett.

Ok, maybe I got this thread all mixed up. I DO NOT want any sort of collusion by teams to deliberately push others out of the finals. I meant the Broncos don't know what it's like to miss the finals on a regular basis and one of these days they are going to find out. Through hard work and a bit of luck to the other teams, they can make life hell for the broncos and they end up missing the finals. That in one way would be good for another team to participate in the finals, and would be a kick up the bum for the broncos, and potentially bring out an even stronger desire to be better than they've ever been. As for the Wayne Bennett comment, it probably won't be a quiet departure as i'd hoped, a statue next to Wally at Lang Park could be a good tribute.

Queenslander
07-03-06, 12:13 PM
hahahha one of ure best cyclops

dont u love the brisbane fans and their one eyes.

I gotta disagree with deegan on this one.

Can someone tell me what brisbane did for QLD Rugby league when they masterminded super league an event that single handedly killed two queensland clubs and then signed an exclusivity clause preventing another sE qld club for 6 seasons.

All i can say is red hill has alot to answer for and i cant wait for them to be number 3 in QLD behind the titans and cowboys.

If your still holding a grude over Super League then you need to get over it. What was in the past, was just that; in the past. If the Chargers were to continue to this current date would they have such a great on and off field organisation just like the Titans currently have? Perhaps the loss of the chargers was a blessing in disguise, if you still had the Chargers you wouldnt have the Titans. And currently the Titans look much better than previous attempts of a Gold Coast franchise.

DeeGan
07-03-06, 02:43 PM
Poor Cliffy
What a pity you can't see the trees for the forrest. My point was 100% accurate, Manly have constantly plundered others players forcing those plundered to continue to develope locals. The lesson for the Titans is to use and develope local talent and mix in quality players not simply buy "champions" as you have seen in the cricket when the world side toured a teams of champions will not beat a champion team.

And for the record i am not a Bronco's supporter, although the culture and business sassy they have used over the last 19years is a lesson to all in the game on how to successfully operate a Club and Football side.

They are (Bronco's) and have been in the comp for the long term something the Titans should aspire to and for Titans supporters to focus on the "long waiting downfall" of the Broncos shows your short sightedness as there will be another 14 teams to beat before you are the best.

So try to be objective and encourage others, welcome competition as the Titans have been welcomed, we don't need bad blood amongst Queenslanders as we should be proud our state has 3 teams in the NRL AND WE WANT THEM ALL TO SUCCEED

Great reply MOPL :clap:

..::Coops::..
07-03-06, 06:56 PM
Firstly, i am a passionate Broncos supporter and ofcours3e do NOT want the broncos to fall,

but as the saying goes "to be the best you have to beat the best"
wouldn't you prefer to beat a competitive Broncos team, rather than a Broncos team which whom are crap??

Cliffy GC
07-03-06, 09:42 PM
i love how precious the cyclops fans become.

This could be a fun year to watch if what some people predict is true and slide commences

MOPL
07-03-06, 09:50 PM
Cliffy
Have you borrowed that name after the famous Cliff Lyons? If so I would remind you Cliffy was a North's player before Manly poached him, also in that year they bought Mitchel Cox from Norths. Cliffy could play and still gets around the A Grade comp on the norhtern beaches in Sydney

Cliffy GC
08-03-06, 02:24 AM
Cliffy
Have you borrowed that name after the famous Cliff Lyons? If so I would remind you Cliffy was a North's player before Manly poached him, also in that year they bought Mitchel Cox from Norths. Cliffy could play and still gets around the A Grade comp on the norhtern beaches in Sydney
interesting yet totally uninformed comment mate

if you had read "From the bush to brookvale - The Cliff Lyons story" you would have known that norths didnt want him, he played one season for norths and about 14 for manly he wasnt even a norths junior mate, he was graded at cronulla so if u want to mouth off u should atleast know ure facts mate

MOPL
08-03-06, 11:37 AM
interesting yet totally uninformed comment mate

if you had read "From the bush to brookvale - The Cliff Lyons story" you would have known that norths didnt want him, he played one season for norths and about 14 for manly he wasnt even a norths junior mate, he was graded at cronulla so if u want to mouth off u should atleast know ure facts mate
Cliffy
Thanks for clearing that up and confirming Manly did poach him from Norths so again my facts were correct. No mention from you regarding Mtchell Cox, although i did forget about Don McKinnon and good old Billy Hamilton if i had more time there would be many many more Chris Close, Paul Vautin, Tom Mooney, Ray Higgs, Ray Brannigan, Geoff Gerard, Kerry Boustead, Phil Lowe, Bill Hardy, even good old Des Hasler

If you could just check the other 12 odd players i have metioned that Manly poached in their win over StGeorge in the 90's and confirm if i am correct as well that would be teriffic

Don't want to get my facts wrong Mate

Queenslander
08-03-06, 12:05 PM
i love how precious the cyclops fans become.

This could be a fun year to watch if what some people predict is true and slide commences

If by "some people" you mean you; then you are misinformed. Why are you trying to drag out this argument for? Many people here have disagreed with you. I think its time to move on from your hatred of the Broncos and focus on your team and what they do on the field. The only time you should worry about the Broncos is when Manly or the Titans play them.

MOPL
08-03-06, 01:21 PM
If by "some people" you mean you; then you are misinformed. Why are you trying to drag out this argument for? Many people here have disagreed with you. I think its time to move on from your hatred of the Broncos and focus on your team and what they do on the field. The only time you should worry about the Broncos is when Manly or the Titans play them.
Well said.

Cliffy stop playing the man and start playing the ball your attitude towards others who have an opinion and facts to back those up.

Comments made in reaction to your single minded and incorrect and inflammatory remarks should be considered not rejected by you and then subjected to your unfriendly remarks.

Again we are all on the same side. Go Queensland, Go the Broncos, Go the Cowboys and bring on the Titans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Original Idiot
08-03-06, 05:16 PM
What's wrong with disliking your teams local rivals? I'm sure over half of all sports fans do that. You cannot ignore the facts: The Broncos have been in the playoffs for a long time now, and they have an enormous talent pool. I think it's time for them to have a bad season and miss the finals.

Queenslander
08-03-06, 05:20 PM
What's wrong with disliking your teams local rivals? I'm sure over half of all sports fans do that. You cannot ignore the facts: The Broncos have been in the playoffs for a long time now, and they have an enormous talent pool. I think it's time for them to have a bad season and miss the finals.

So the Broncos shouldnt be in the playoffs this year cause they have been one of the best teams of the past 10 years? This sounds like a typical case of tall poppy syndrome.....a desire to knock a person/persons down when they are doing well. If the Broncos play well and are in the top 8 then they deserve to be there. In fact any team that plays well and gets into the top 8 deserve to be there.

The Original Idiot
08-03-06, 05:25 PM
^ I just want a competition where different teams make the business end of the season- if the NRL was like the English Premier with the same teams at the top of the ladder every year, the finals would not be as interesting.

Queenslander
08-03-06, 05:31 PM
^ I just want a competition where different teams make the business end of the season- if the NRL was like the English Premier with the same teams at the top of the ladder every year, the finals would not be as interesting.

As do I; but you cant help teams that always seem to make the finals. Melbourne Storm have made numerous finals recently....but you dont seem to be telling them to give way for other teams. I respect your opinon but you are mocking my team by saying that its their time to depart the finals because of the fact they have been there too much recently. As I have said in my previous post if any team is in the top 8 they deserve to be in the finals. Even if its the Broncos. We just have to wait 26ish weeks to find out who makes it.

Des
08-03-06, 05:49 PM
I think Cliffy GC needs to grow a second head on he's shoulders, because with the two eyes he has at the moment he seems to be very one-eyed. Maybe with four eyes he's might see the picture with whats happening at the Broncos a little bit clearer( No offence to people who wear glasses) If he is claiming to be a LOCAL why dosn't he go back to Sydney and support Manly( The Silvertails). The only reason all these so called LOCALS bag the Broncos is because the have been so successful over the years and their southern teams haven't. If you don't like the local teams go home. Long Live The Brisbane Broncos until next year when the Titans SMASH Manly all over the park. Cheers Cliffy :fence: :fence: :fence:

Titanium_BD1103
08-03-06, 05:55 PM
Ah Ok then... I think this topic is headed somewhere I don't want to head... :(

As for it though.. I will say this... and that is that sure it is ok we dislike teams, I dislike the Roosters, and I dislike some of the things Brisbane does. HOWEVER that gives you no right ever to want a team to fail and become a disaster, and if you do think this.. IMO and only IMO... you should keep those opinions to yourself... there is no need to say something like that on a public forum... :)

AS FOR you all who are saying it would be nice to have different teams in the 8.... well get this, those teams who make the 8 constantly are there BECAUSE THEY ARE GOOD. The good teams do well, and deserve where they are... there is no reason for everyone to be jealous... and this years NRL will be the closest hopefully in seasons.. so be happy about that.

I reckon RL fans should be happy that the comp is such a good one... and that we have strong teams. As much as I don't like them, I respect them for the dynasties they create.. the Broncos are one of the teams at the top of the dynasty tree... and until they break rules to win a comp.. then we have no right to bag them for being good.. ;)

That is my opinion take it or leave it.

..::Coops::..
08-03-06, 07:34 PM

AIN"T GONNA HAPPEN!!! :p

MOPL
09-03-06, 12:33 PM
To me the top 8 is ridiculous, how can you lose more than you win and make a playoff series? It is (regarded by some clubs) as a major achievement in just making the 8th spot, I see it as a failure as you have just been the 8th worst team in the comp. Look at your win vs loss ratio and for and against that's the real test

Having 8 out of 15 teams qualify fo a final series is only for Tv ratings and a way to get extra publicity for sponsorship dollars

It is also adds weight to the popular theory that the competition is so close (this is not true at all) and everyone is a chance (everyone is a chance regardless of the numbers for finals footy, you've got to be in it to win it thoery)

For a true reflection of how close the comp is look at the for and against of all teams, some sides have 30% differential and the for and against when compared to the top 4 teams and the rest of the comp is highly imbalanced.

Everyone is a chance no matter how many teams can qualify for finals footy and surely the most consistent team should be rewarded an extra privilege for achieving that goal when finals time comes around.

If the veiw is the extra teams in the final series is a good thing then reduce the playoffs to 7 sides giving first past the post a week off in recognition for their achievement..What was wrong with the old 5 team final series?

Food for thought

Cliffy GC
09-03-06, 01:03 PM
To me the top 8 is ridiculous, how can you lose more than you win and make a playoff series? It is (regarded by some clubs) as a major achievement in just making the 8th spot, I see it as a failure as you have just been the 8th worst team in the comp. Look at your win vs loss ratio and for and against that's the real test

Having 8 out of 15 teams qualify fo a final series is only for Tv ratings and a way to get extra publicity for sponsorship dollars

It is also adds weight to the popular theory that the competition is so close (this is not true at all) and everyone is a chance (everyone is a chance regardless of the numbers for finals footy, you've got to be in it to win it thoery)

For a true reflection of how close the comp is look at the for and against of all teams, some sides have 30% differential and the for and against when compared to the top 4 teams and the rest of the comp is highly imbalanced.

Everyone is a chance no matter how many teams can qualify for finals footy and surely the most consistent team should be rewarded an extra privilege for achieving that goal when finals time comes around.

If the veiw is the extra teams in the final series is a good thing then reduce the playoffs to 7 sides giving first past the post a week off in recognition for their achievement..What was wrong with the old 5 team final series?

Food for thought

I'll show what was wrong with the Final 5 as far as the NRL and channel 9 are concerned

Top 5
Weekend 1 - 2 games
Weekend 2 - 2 Games
Weekend 3 - 1 Game
Grand Final

6 games, 6 lots of gate taking 6 lots of Tv Ratings

Final 8
Weekend 1 4 games
Weekend 2 2 games
Weekend 3 2 Games
Grand Final

9 games 3 more lots of gate takings and 3 more lots of tv ratings.

Cold hard facts money drives it, out and out the Top 5 is the best system to decide a fair premier. I also like the fact that under a top five u have a clear
2nd,3rd 4th and 5th place getter as one team is elimated a week.

lonegull
09-03-06, 02:34 PM
Should be top 5

The Original Idiot
09-03-06, 05:34 PM
Let me get this straight. You want a competition with 15 teams (soon to be 16) with only 5 finals spots? This is not the QLD cup, it is a much bigger competition. 8 spots is fine.

And that's bad? Australian Rugby league needs money. We do not have the funds available to the AFL, which we could put to good use. Our financial situation is pretty bleak compared to the AFL. Does channel 9 shell out 7.8 million for League? And you're saying we should cut most of the finals series, the time of the year that generates the most revenue for the game?

ETA: Sorry 780 mil. My bad.

Eel 33
09-03-06, 09:48 PM
The finals series is always going to be debated on how many teams should be in it. Channel 9 are going to dictate what happens whilst it holds the NRL free-to-air contract. Come up with a better solution and submit it to both Channel 9 and the NRL.

MOPL
09-03-06, 10:05 PM
Let me get this straight. You want a competition with 15 teams (soon to be 16) with only 5 finals spots? This is not the QLD cup, it is a much bigger competition. 8 spots is fine.

And that's bad? Australian Rugby league needs money. We do not have the funds available to the AFL, which we could put to good use. Our financial situation is pretty bleak compared to the AFL. Does channel 9 shell out 7.8 million for League? And you're saying we should cut most of the finals series, the time of the year that generates the most revenue for the game?
You will note that the AFL has just negoatiated a hug deal with 7 and 10 worth some $750mil..

The only reason they have had to extend the top 5 is to earn extra revenues they need due to the poor tv deal the league continually accept from 9

Once there were 18 teams and it was top 5 finals, they were genuine finals contenders not the 4 pretenders we endure through the final 8 series now

Oh and if you think that a finals series should have 40 plus score lines between the best 8 teams and thats good for the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Queenslander
09-03-06, 10:25 PM
You will note that the AFL has just negoatiated a hug deal with 7 and 10 worth some $750mil..

The only reason they have had to extend the top 5 is to earn extra revenues they need due to the poor tv deal the league continually accept from 9

Once there were 18 teams and it was top 5 finals, they were genuine finals contenders not the 4 pretenders we endure through the final 8 series now

Oh and if you think that a finals series should have 40 plus score lines between the best 8 teams and thats good for the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both the Eels and the Dragons were beaten by lower teams last season. The top 8 system is good as it forces the top teams to always play well even against the "lower" teams. If the top teams dont come to play during the finals they will be punished for it. The Eels who were the highest ranked team were beaten by 29 points by the Cowboys. Im sure many will say that its not fair for the Eels to have lost cause the Cowboys were lower than them; but the fact is that they got beaten at a time when they cant afford to lose.

MOPL
09-03-06, 10:44 PM
Both the Eels and the Dragons were beaten by lower teams last season. The top 8 system is good as it forces the top teams to always play well even against the "lower" teams. If the top teams dont come to play during the finals they will be punished for it. The Eels who were the highest ranked team were beaten by 29 points by the Cowboys. Im sure many will say that its not fair for the Eels to have lost cause the Cowboys were lower than them; but the fact is that they got beaten at a time when they cant afford to lose.
Being beaten by a lower team is ok but how low should you go? Why should you be given an opportunity to be in the playoffs if you don't even qualify in the top half of the comp?

What was the score between Parra and Manly? And those blowouts have been going on since the inception of the final 8

With the inclusion of the Titans should we make it a top 9 as we are adding another team

The sooner the league stops making commercially unsound deals with "our games" tv rights we will enjoy a better brand of footy.

It used to be a big deal to make the finals and now you only have to win 50% of your regular seasons games. Te balance is wrong

Queenslander
09-03-06, 10:56 PM
Being beaten by a lower team is ok but how low should you go? Why should you be given an opportunity to be in the playoffs if you don't even qualify in the top half of the comp?

What was the score between Parra and Manly? And those blowouts have been going on since the inception of the final 8

With the inclusion of the Titans should we make it a top 9 as we are adding another team

The sooner the league stops making commercially unsound deals with "our games" tv rights we will enjoy a better brand of footy.

It used to be a big deal to make the finals and now you only have to win 50% of your regular seasons games. Te balance is wrong

Thats a stupid argument IMO; 50% of the teams will make the finals; 25% of them will be gone after one week.....then we will be left with 6 teams. If thats too many then Im afraid you will have to build a bridge. :thumbsup: The Top 5 system may have worked back in the day; but the game is adapting. And its not just Rugby League that is adapting many sports are changing structures to lure more fans in. Its just a case where the fans have to accept what is given too them.

MOPL
09-03-06, 11:12 PM
Thats a stupid argument IMO; 50% of the teams will make the finals; 25% of them will be gone after one week.....then we will be left with 6 teams. If thats too many then Im afraid you will have to build a bridge. :thumbsup: The Top 5 system may have worked back in the day; but the game is adapting. And its not just Rugby League that is adapting many sports are changing structures to lure more fans in. Its just a case where the fans have to accept what is given too them.
Again why have 8 when the 7 and 8 have no right being their.Just have 6.

Don't get confused with adapting and what works. Back in the day the crowds at game surpassed the current, there were more teams, a top 5 and a shorter comp, giving player time to recouperate and there were stars aplenty

Adapted we have a longer comp, more reward for under performing, less crowds in club matches and stars a plenty more money for players and teams but our tv rights are back in the old days

My "stupid arguement" does have merit and is backed by facts and just because you have something forced on you does not make it right and you should always challenge change.

Do you think the Titans would have prevailed if they accepted no for an answer?

Queenslander
10-03-06, 09:21 AM
Do you think the Titans would have prevailed if they accepted no for an answer?

The above question has nothing to do with your argument; just that fact that if they said no; they would have continued their push for the 16th team only when submissions were accepted by the NRL.

You stated that crowds in the past were larger; and there was more teams in the competition. Im sure you are referring to NSWRL and back then the fans were not forced to pay large amounts to attend games. If your version of "back in the day" is the 60's and 70's when games were full to above the roof then you have to understand its a different age. People dont flock to games cause they are too busy, and they can watch it on television, listen to it on the radio, or watch it on the internet. We the fans have the ulitmate choice; many choose the easier option of the previous rather than paying large amounts to go see the game live.

I still dont see why you can hate the top 8 system; is it just because there are two extra games per year? In which the top teams are playing against lower sides. And you keep stating the tv rights! Honestly if channel ten or seven got the NRL rights they would do exactly the same thing, why? cause its more games, more money. And no one these days particuarly the NRL will say no to that.

MOPL
10-03-06, 12:08 PM
The above question has nothing to do with your argument; just that fact that if they said no; they would have continued their push for the 16th team only when submissions were accepted by the NRL.

You stated that crowds in the past were larger; and there was more teams in the competition. Im sure you are referring to NSWRL and back then the fans were not forced to pay large amounts to attend games. If your version of "back in the day" is the 60's and 70's when games were full to above the roof then you have to understand its a different age. People dont flock to games cause they are too busy, and they can watch it on television, listen to it on the radio, or watch it on the internet. We the fans have the ulitmate choice; many choose the easier option of the previous rather than paying large amounts to go see the game live.

I still dont see why you can hate the top 8 system; is it just because there are two extra games per year? In which the top teams are playing against lower sides. And you keep stating the tv rights! Honestly if channel ten or seven got the NRL rights they would do exactly the same thing, why? cause its more games, more money. And no one these days particuarly the NRL will say no to that.
The Titans would not have prevailed if they were not persistent raising the 16th team and pushing the league to keep it o the agenda. If the hurdles faced were too big to jump over, its all to hard they and others could have given in and the league would have had their way. Public perception.

My last comment on the "top 8" is there are tems who fall into this system who are not worthy of participating in a finals series. The stronger teams should not have to play these other 2 or 3 sides on prinicpal as they are not good enough and were not good enough through the regular season.

As for the more expanded media coverage of the game, this is correct and people do have other options on how to follow their team. Don't you think then the game regarding advertising rights is worth more across the etra media. Sell it for more
I think we will agree to disagree