PDA

View Full Version : DCE accused of recruiting for Titans

K2G
19-03-15, 10:08 PM
Daly Cherry-Evans accused of contacting Dane Gagai to convince him to join Gold Coast Titans
BARRY TOOHEY THE DAILY TELEGRAPH (http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/daly-cherry-evans-accused-of-contacting-dane-gagai-to-convince-him-to-join-gold-coast-titans/story-e6freon6-1227270126186) MARCH 19, 2015 11:00PM

GOLD Coast- bound Manly star Daly Cherry-Evans has been accused of allegedly contacting Newcastle centre Dane Gagai in a bid to convince the Queensland Origin hopeful to spurn offers from the Knights and Brisbane to join him at the Titans next season.

Under fire for the way he openly conducted his own contract negotiations before revealing he was quitting the Sea Eagles at the end of the season to link with Gold Coast, Cherry-Evans is certain to come under further scrutiny over these latest claims.

The Daily Telegraph has been told the star halfback is already actively playing a recruitment role for the club he will join in 2015.

It’s alleged he personally rang Gagai earlier this week in an attempt to entice the off-contract Knights star to the Gold Coast in 2015 with Newcastle CEO Matt Gidley refusing to hose down the explosive claims.

While Gidley would not identify Cherry-Evans by name, he made it pretty clear the Manly halfback was at the centre of the controversy.

“I’ve been made aware of approaches to some of our off-contract players by a leading halfback in the game,” Gidley confirmed.

“I’d rather not say any more than that at this stage.”

A source at the club revealed the Knights are privately fuming over the Gagai approach, which comes after the Titans officially joined the race to sign him by tabling a lucrative offer.

“Who is on his hit list? How many other players are being contacted?” the source said.

“It’s a dangerous game to be playing when you are still at your current club.”

Gagai’s manager Steve Gillis, who was ironically in meetings with Titans players and club management on the Gold Coast on Thursday, refused to confirm or deny the phone call took place.

“I’m not making any comment on it,” Gillis said.

Titans coach Neil Henry claimed there has been no instruction to Cherry-Evans about taking an active role in recruitment for next season.

“I heard the rumour about it (the phone call) happening but that was the first I’d heard of it,” Henry said.

“I haven’t spoken to Daly since he signed with us so if he is ringing any players, it is not with my knowledge. I can’t vouch for the other recruitment staff here at the club.”

Henry confirmed the Titans had joined the race for Gagai’s signature and hat already tabled an offer.

“He’s a very good player who we’d love to have come to the club,” Henry said.

DavidBouveng
19-03-15, 11:06 PM
go Chez.... go get them baby

Davis13
19-03-15, 11:19 PM
Why is this even a story who cares if he wants ring a mate and try convince him. Sure
It's not the first time a player has done it.

Titanic
20-03-15, 12:09 AM
Storm in a tea cup … I just hope he rings Sam Burgess and Greg Ingis too.

lonegull
20-03-15, 07:03 AM
good on him, must of been a slow day for the media. So this doesn't happen in league ,mates ringing each other to join them at different clubs, I am sure at origin time I bet there is a bit of recruiting that goes on behind the scenes

- - - Updated - - -

another good thing to come out of this story is that DCE is not thinking about pulling out of the contract if he is looking to help recruit players for next year

ozynorts
20-03-15, 07:46 AM
This story is hilarious. If the clubs recruitment guys contact Gagai that's ok, but if his mate calls him that is unacceptable.......

TITAN PETE
20-03-15, 07:53 AM
Part of his new contract is to be part of the recruiting team , he's obviously a team player :eyebrows:

JunctionBlock
20-03-15, 07:56 AM
And I'm sure Gallen and Bird haven't been speaking.

Mexican titan
20-03-15, 08:23 AM
Why is this even a story who cares if he wants ring a mate and try convince him. Sure
It's not the first time a player has done it.

Exactly.
No story here. Next.

TITAN PETE
20-03-15, 08:30 AM
And I'm sure Gallen and Bird haven't been speaking.

They are best mates but I don't think you will find Gallen playing for the Knights next year

JunctionBlock
20-03-15, 09:35 AM
They are best mates but I don't think you will find Gallen playing for the Knights next year

The rumours early were Bird to Sharks, thus the point of saying Gallen saying to Bird, "yeah come play for us" holds as much weight as this excuse of a news story trying to put the boot in DCE cause it's the flavour of the month.

Hail Sezer
20-03-15, 09:46 AM
I wasn't confident of DCE and was proven wrong so I'm willing to hold a bit of hope for Gagai too. With Mathiou and DCE on board, our recruitment looks to have more strength than ever

Toads
20-03-15, 09:50 AM
This article sums up the typical opinion out there by various journo's. Where they'll try 'n beat up any snippet of information (whether it be true or false) and do their utmost to make the Titans and/or players look bad for it. This story is a perfect example of that.

Titanic
20-03-15, 11:03 AM
we're playing the Knights so they needed something.

DavidBouveng
20-03-15, 12:43 PM
yeah its a bit odd. The knights were very happy for bennett to bring some dragons with him which he would have been working on while still AT the dragons.

It goes on in every rep camp that's ever been held...move along nothing to see here.

the only people to be happy or sad in this is the titans and the fans. shows DCE is already thinking of us and next year.

5 Year Contract
20-03-15, 03:30 PM
onya DCE! Sour grapes by the knights there

DIEHARD
20-03-15, 06:51 PM
I'd be really happy if he was doing this.

Either overtly or otherwise he will bring us players.

DIEHARD
21-03-15, 04:34 PM
DCE no Titans recruiter, says Henry

Gold Coast coach Neil Henry has emphatically denied media suggestions the Titans are using Daly Cherry Evans as a recruiter.

Off-contract Newcastle star Dane Gagai was reportedly sounded out by Cherry Evans about joining him at the Titans from next season, when the Sea Eagles star will move to Gold Coast on a four-year deal.

Henry, who has admitted the Titans are interested in luring former Brisbane player Gagai back to Queensland, says any conversation between Gagai and Cherry Evans was nothing more than a friendly catch-up.

He said the fact a story had come about because of their conversation was more about the Knights trying to hold on to their player.

"Cherry Evans makes a call because they know each other," Henry said.

"He's not recruiting for us. Players talk all the time.

"(Reporter) Barry Toohey made a bit of a point of it with a player they're trying to re-sign.

"There's a bit of publicity about that, which was motivated that way and I don't think there's anything in it."

The Titans will face Gagai's undefeated Knights at Robina on Sunday.

wwos.ninemsn.com.au

Titanic
22-03-15, 12:38 AM
They should be ripping into Hoffman too and every other player who talks to someone from another club.