PDA

View Full Version : Brian Carney: 2006 NRL Season Debut Thread

DeeGan
05-03-06, 02:26 PM
Brian Carney: 2006 NRL Season Debut Thread

http://smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/03/02/briancarney_narrowweb__300x367,0.jpg
2007 Gold Coast Titans recruit Brian Carney for the Knights

Irish born winger Brian Carney was the third player we signed last season and the 2006 NRL season will see him stopping over in the city of Newcastle in which he will be making his NRL debut. Brian Carney is a world class winger who has represented Ireland in the 2000 World Cup and since then Great Britain going on to become one of the best wingers in the game today.

This season I will be keeping a close eye on the UK export and keep forum members up to date with his stats as well as give my opinion on how our star recruit for 2007 is fairing in his first crack at the NRL.

DeeGan
05-03-06, 02:26 PM
2006 Statistics

Rd:1 20 runs - 198m - 3 line breaks - 1 try - 2 tackles (0 missed) - 1 error

DeeGan
05-03-06, 02:27 PM
2006 Newcastle Knights Draw and Results

Round 1: Newcastle vs Parramatta: WON 25 - 6

Round 2: Canberra vs Newcastle:

DeeGan
05-03-06, 02:29 PM
Round 1: http://www.nrl.com/portals/0/Logos/Clubs/11_t.gifNewcastle Knights vs http://www.nrl.com/portals/0/Logos/Clubs/13_t.gifParramatta Eels
Venue: Energy Australia Stadium March 11, 2006

Knights: Milton Thaiday, Brian Carney, Matthew Gidley, George Carmont, Anthony Quinn, Kurt Gidley, Andrew Johns (c), Craig Smith, Danny Buderus, Josh Perry, Steve Simpson, Clint Newton, Regan Tanner.
Interchange: Adam Woolnough, Daniel Tolar, Riley Brown, Kirk Reynoldson

Eels: Wade McKinnon, Luke Burt, Ben Smith, Timana Tahu, Eric Grothe, John Morris, Tim Smith, Nathan Cayless (c), PJ Marsh, Paul Stringer , Nathan Hindmarsh, Chad Robinson, Glenn Morrison
Interchange: Mark Riddell, Dean Widders, Josh Cordoba, Michael Vella, Matt Petersen, Daniel Wagon. (two to be omitted)

Referee: Russell Smith

Dakink
05-03-06, 04:19 PM
Looking forward to his performances - cheap at Sportal too!

lonegull
06-03-06, 08:14 AM
he is going to be the find of the season he is a great player :yell:

DeeGan
09-03-06, 05:56 PM
Round 1: http://www.nrl.com/portals/0/Logos/Clubs/11_t.gifNewcastle Knights vs http://www.nrl.com/portals/0/Logos/Clubs/13_t.gifParramatta Eels
Venue: Energy Australia Stadium March 11, 2006

Knights: Milton Thaiday, Brian Carney, Matthew Gidley, George Carmont, Anthony Quinn, Kurt Gidley, Andrew Johns (c), Craig Smith, Danny Buderus, Josh Perry, Steve Simpson, Clint Newton, Regan Tanner.
Interchange: Adam Woolnough, Daniel Tolar, Riley Brown, Kirk Reynoldson

Eels: Wade McKinnon, Luke Burt, Ben Smith, Timana Tahu, Eric Grothe, John Morris, Tim Smith, Nathan Cayless (c), PJ Marsh, Paul Stringer , Nathan Hindmarsh, Chad Robinson, Glenn Morrison
Interchange: Mark Riddell, Dean Widders, Josh Cordoba, Michael Vella, Matt Petersen, Daniel Wagon. (two to be omitted)

Referee: Russell Smith

I was going to be at this game though a change of plans has come my way and I will not be in down south which is disappointing as I wanted to be there LIVE for the debut of our UK import Brian Carney.

Brian Smith I think will put Eric Grothe Jnr. on Carney's wing which will be a stern test for the Great Britain international making his debut in the NRL competition.

Matt Gidley and Carney tore up the trials so I am expecting a try on debut for the UK flyer and look forward to seeing how Andrew Johns uses his new speedster.

More after the game!

Kingytek
10-03-06, 08:27 AM
This game will be very interesting this weekend. I can't wait to see Carney playing a match in the NRL, just stay injury free for 2006 and beyond!

mayzie
11-03-06, 08:04 PM
Carney played really well and he is going to score some great tries for the titans.
cant wait to put $20 on him to be first tryscorer in our first game 2007.

Luke
11-03-06, 08:16 PM
He played a good game Carney scoring a try and Breaking out of a few tackles.

Eel 33
12-03-06, 09:54 AM
Carney played really well and he is going to score some great tries for the titans.
cant wait to put $20 on him to be first tryscorer in our first game 2007.
Should have put it on last nights game, i wonder what he was paying?

DeeGan
12-03-06, 05:23 PM
What a great debut for Brian Carney where he totally outplayed his opposite number Eric Grother Jnr.

Stats:

20 runs - 198m - 3 line breaks - 1 try - 2 tackles (0 missed) - 1 error

Brian Carney is a crowd favourite already at Newcastle and John Cartwright would of be over the moon to see Carney handle himself so well in his debut against last season's minor premieres.

Titanium_BD1103
12-03-06, 06:23 PM
He is going to be a star for the NRL.

I was so happy to see how well he went last night and to see him combine so well with Thaiday and to be such a crowd pleaser. He was tough, and very clever and gave Newcastle an extra dimension, and that is a hard thing to say when you have AJ in your side.. :)

Well done to Brian and keep it up... you are making 2007 more and more promising every day.. :D

Coaster
12-03-06, 07:11 PM
He had a great game, cant wait for him next year.

Also i thought
Bailey
Preston
Prince
and Laffranchi all had good games

DeeGan
18-03-06, 01:25 PM
Round 2: http://www.nrl.com/portals/0/Logos/Clubs/14_t.gifCanberra Raiders vs http://www.nrl.com/portals/0/Logos/Clubs/11_t.gifNewcastle Knights
Venue: Canberra Stadium, 3.00pm March 19, 2006

Raiders: Clinton Schifcofske (c), Adrian Purtell, Phil Graham, David Howell, Adam Mogg, Jason Smith, Lincoln Withers, Willie Raston, Simon Woolford, Troy Thompson, Ben Jones, Jason Croker, Alan Tongue
Interchange: Todd Carney, Terry Martin, Tom Learoyd-Lars, Michael Hodgson

Knights: Milton Thaiday, Brian Carney, Matthew Gidley, George Carmont, Anthony Quinn, Kurt Gidley, Andrew Johns (c), Craig Smith, Danny Buderus, Josh Perry, Steve Simpson, Kirk Reynoldson, Reegan Tanner
Interchange: Adam Woolnough, Daniel Tolar, Riley Brown, Todd Lowrie.

Referee: Jason Robinson

DeeGan
18-03-06, 01:33 PM
Round 2: http://www.nrl.com/portals/0/Logos/Clubs/14_t.gifCanberra Raiders vs http://www.nrl.com/portals/0/Logos/Clubs/11_t.gifNewcastle Knights
Venue: Canberra Stadium, 3.00pm March 19, 2006

Raiders: Clinton Schifcofske (c), Adrian Purtell, Phil Graham, David Howell, Adam Mogg, Jason Smith, Lincoln Withers, Willie Raston, Simon Woolford, Troy Thompson, Ben Jones, Jason Croker, Alan Tongue
Interchange: Todd Carney, Terry Martin, Tom Learoyd-Lars, Michael Hodgson

Knights: Milton Thaiday, Brian Carney, Matthew Gidley, George Carmont, Anthony Quinn, Kurt Gidley, Andrew Johns (c), Craig Smith, Danny Buderus, Josh Perry, Steve Simpson, Kirk Reynoldson, Reegan Tanner

Referee: Jason Robinson

The temperature is going to be a pleasant 27 degrees tomorrow in Canberra so the Knights are not going to be dealing with the cold conditions which would of suited Brian Carney.

This should be a tough game against a Canberra team brimming with confidence after last weeks unexpected win.

Let's hope our boy Brian Carney can put the off-field drama behind him and pick up where he left off in round one where he lead all in the NRL with 198m in what was a great debut.

DeeGan
20-03-06, 10:12 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200603/r75737_214063.jpg

Well, 70-32 win to the Knights and our boy Brian Carney misses out on a try - I would be giving him heaps at training :laugh:

Here is the score-card:

Canberra Raiders: 32
Tries: Phillip Graham(2), Troy Thompson, Alan Tongue, William Zillman(2)
Goals: Todd Carney 4/4

Newcastle Knights: 70
Tries: George Carmont(2), Kurt Gidley(2), Matthew Gidley, Andrew Johns(2), Todd Lowrie, Anthony Quinn, Steve Simpson, Reegan Tanner, Daniel Tolar
Goals: Andrew Johns 11/12

Brian Carney's stats:

13 runs for 88m - 1 tackle break - 2 tackles - 1 miss 1on1 - 2 offloads

I am not sure there was a bad player for the Newcastkle Knights.

DEEGAN RATING 7 from 10 - Much to like about the play of Carney who is adapting well to the NRL game. Playing in a side containing so much attacking talent around the ruck will take some time to get familiar too though you wouldn't know it with Carney. I think Carney's best work is done in those tight games as we saw last week - look for a brilliant match up next week against either Hazem El Masri or Matt Utai.

shavenjas
21-03-06, 08:56 AM
Well guys & girls you wont here me bag this Titans winger real good signing, real good winger.

mayzie
21-03-06, 01:06 PM
nice to be back talkin bout his footy rather than a nothing incident at a pub.

Dakink
21-03-06, 01:18 PM
nice to be back talkin bout his footy rather than a nothing incident at a pub.

Here Here to that!

lonegull
21-03-06, 03:18 PM
well said mayzie

The Dave
25-03-06, 02:29 AM
Another try for Carney

Dakink
25-03-06, 09:07 AM
And great defence on his line - showed his strength when he collared a dogs player from behind and lifter him off his feet to halt a run for the line.

DeeGan
25-03-06, 10:37 AM
Round 3: http://www.nrl.com/portals/0/Logos/Clubs/11_t.gifNewcastle Knights vs http://www.nrl.com/portals/0/Logos/Clubs/5_t.gifCanterbury Bulldogs

Newcastle v Canterbury at EnergyAustralia Stadium, 7:30pm

Interchange: Adam Woolnough, Daniel Tolar, Riley Brown, Todd Lowrie

Bulldogs: Luke Patten, Hazem El Masri, Andrew Emelio, Willie Tonga, Matt Utai, Daniel Holdsworth, Brent Sherwin, Chris Armit, Corey Hughes, Roy Asotasi, Willie Mason, Andrew Ryan (c), Tony Grimaldi
Interchange: Reni Maitua, Mark O'Meley, Adam Perry, Nate Myles

Referee: Steve Clark.

DeeGan
25-03-06, 10:49 AM
The score-card from the game last night:

Newcastle Knights: 46

Tries: Milton Thaiday (3), Danny Buderus, Matthew Gidley, Todd Lowrie, Brian Carney
Goals: Andrew Johns 9/10

Canterbury Bulldogs: 22
Tries: Hazem El Masri, Andrew Emelio, Corey Hughes, Willie Mason
Goals: Hazem El Masri 3/4

Crowd: 25,504
Half time: Knights 34 Bulldogs 6

Brian Carney's stats:

10 runs for 72m - 1 line break - 2 tkl breaks - 3 tkls - 1 error - 1 Try

Newcastle firmed as NRL Premiership favourites last night with a crushing win over the Canterbury Bulldogs who came with the wrong game plan last night and walked off the field without the two points for the troubles. Milton Thaiday continued to impress though it is a little far fetched from the CH9 commentary team to suggest he is THE threat for Minichello's rep jumpers - for starters he is a Queenslander I have read and he will not surplant Bowen, Slater or Schifcofske IMO.

Good game, Johns ran the show as per usual (has there been a more dominant player when fit?) and Danny Buderus was awesome in attack and defence.

DEEGAN'S RATING: 7/10 - Brian Carney was good last night in thereabouts one half of football, looking at the above stats, he was in for a big night if he lasted 80 minutes. Carney scored a good try off a good second man play instigated by Johns and once again showed he is in for a big season on the end of this backline.

The Original Idiot
25-03-06, 03:58 PM
^ Isn't Thaiday from Ballina? Dakink might know.

Dakink
25-03-06, 04:03 PM
^ Isn't Thaiday from Ballina? Dakink might know.

He played for Lismore Marist Brothers before being signed by the Tahs, then came back to play for Ballina in the local NRRRl before the Knights picked him up. He is originally from NTH of the border though.

DeeGan
25-03-06, 04:05 PM
Thaiday is a Townesville junior The Original Idiot :D Played for Townesville Souths.

Dragons
25-03-06, 09:58 PM
Thaiday is a Townesville junior The Original Idiot :D Played for Townesville Souths.
Ya can read that the wrong way Deegs.........lol

lonegull
26-03-06, 10:54 AM
did carney get injured friday night

DeeGan
26-03-06, 12:28 PM
did carney get injured friday night

He left the field with a cork or hamstring concern from memory. We will learn more on Monday.

DeeGan
02-04-06, 10:00 AM
Round 3: http://www.nrl.com/portals/0/Logos/Clubs/11_t.gifNewcastle Knights vs http://www.nrl.com/portals/0/Logos/Clubs/15_t.gifNew Zealand Warriors
Energy Australia Stadium, 3.00pm Sunday 2 April

Knights: Milton Thaiday, Brian Carney, Matthew Gidley, George Carmont, David Seage, Kurt Gidley, Andrew Johns (c), Craig Smith, Danny Buderus, Josh Perry, Steve Simpson, Kirk Reynoldson, Reegan Tanner.

Warriors: Brent Webb, Todd Byrne, Tony Martin, Clinton Toopi, Manu Vatuvei, Jerome Ropati, Nathan Fien, Ruben Wiki, George Gatis, Steve Price (c), Awen Guttenbeil, Wairangi Koopu, Louis Anderson.
Interchange: Grant Rovelli, Evarn Tuimavave, Epalahame Lauaki, Micheal Luck, Sione Faumuina (one to be omitted).

Referee: Russell Smith.

2005 Matches

NEWCASTLE 16 New Zealand 4 at Ericsson
NEW ZEALAND 30 Newcastle 26 at EnergyAustralia

DeeGan
02-04-06, 10:01 AM
Andrew Johns is ruled out of this contest though there are rumours that this MAY be incorrect hence the reason no amendments made to the above team.

Queenslander
02-04-06, 10:51 AM
Andrew Johns is ruled out of this contest though there are rumours that this MAY be incorrect hence the reason no amendments made to the above team.

Hmmm......perhaps it was a late April Fools joke ;)

DeeGan
03-04-06, 11:50 PM
I will get a chance to watch this game during the week - anyone see how Brian went?

I know he had 177m from 19 hit ups.

Dakink
04-04-06, 09:19 AM
Not the best game from memory.

DeeGan
11-04-06, 11:48 PM
Let's get this thread back on track. I will use Queenslanders team threads as a starting point from now on given the great job he does for us :D

NEWCASTLE v NORTH QUEENSLAND
at EnergyAustralia Stadium Sunday 3:00pm

KNIGHTS:

1) Milton Thaiday
2) Brian Carney
3) Matthew Gidley
4) George Carmont
5) Anthony Quinn
6) Kurt Gidley
7) Andrew Johns (c)
8) Craig Smith
9) Danny Buderus
10) Josh Perry
11) Steve Simpson
12) Kirk Reynoldson
13) Reegan Tanner

Interchange:
14) Adam Woolnough
15) Daniel Tolar
16) Clint Newton
17) Todd Lowrie

COWBOYS:
1) Matt Bowen
2) Neil Sweeney
3) Josh Hannay
4) Paul Bowman
5) Matt Sing
6) Justin Smith
7) Johnathan Thurston
8) Matthew Scott
9) Aaron Payne
10) Mitchell Sargent
11) Steve Southern
12) Luke O'Donnell
13) Travis Norton (c)

Interchange:
14) Rod Jensen
15) David Faiumu
16) Carl Webb
17) Shane Tronc
18) Gavin Cooper (one to be omitted).

Referee: Paul Simpkins

DeeGan
11-04-06, 11:48 PM
I will post Brian Carney's season stats after this round and his week by week RLW player rating too :D

Super Cronk
13-04-06, 11:27 PM
little off topic but did anyone see him on the footy show? funny guy aswell as a decent player. Always good to have these types of characters in your team.

Steelers
14-04-06, 12:17 AM
Just saw him then (Footy Show didn't start until 11.45 because of the AFL). He has a great personality... down to earth bloke who will get along with everyone at the Titans.

Helen
14-04-06, 02:01 AM
Brian often goes to the Cafe where my daughter works. I was there today and by all accounts he is a nice guy.

Yep I snooped :D

Helen

CWBush
14-04-06, 01:42 PM
There's rumours going around Newie that Carney is reluctant to leave the club at season's end, contract or no. As a Newie fan, I'd be more than happy to see him stay. He isn't the same block-busting player he was during his time in the UK - but he's tireless out of dummy half and gives good support to Matt Gidley.

Dakink
14-04-06, 01:44 PM
Wonder how the Titans would respond to that, would end up costing Carney alot of dollars in contract penalties. Though I think he will look at the challenge of helping set up a new club as too good to pass up! Imagine if Newie won the thing though!

CWBush
14-04-06, 01:46 PM
I think that might have crossed his mind (about Newie going the distance in 2006). It would cost him a fair bit, but it's apparently crossed his mind all the same. As I'm unfamiliar with the Coast's rugby league culture - I can't comment on it in comparison to Newcastle's, but it'd be hard to top in terms of general love for the game and support.

Dakink
14-04-06, 01:48 PM
Newie's league culture would be more ingrained than on the GC, though the GC and surrounds are definately passionate league areas. Lifestyles arent too disimilar if you in the coastal area of Newie (I assume he would be).

CWBush
14-04-06, 01:49 PM
Not sure on where Carney lives. I know a lot of players live in my area of Newcastle (The Junction/Merewether), but he's one I've so far failed to track down. Track is probably the wrong word - I don't actively look. I know Joey lives on my street (the nicer end of it) and Simpson/Kidley are near Souths Leagues.

..::Coops::..
14-04-06, 04:20 PM
little off topic but did anyone see him on the footy show? funny guy aswell as a decent player. Always good to have these types of characters in your team.

yeah he was funnny!! my fave line was when fatty said "mate what's doing with those shoes?"
brian says " mate, unlike your head, i can chnge my shoes!"
:mine:

DeeGan
16-04-06, 07:08 PM
Newcastle Knights: 16
Tries: Danny Buderus, George Carmont, Matthew Gidley
Goals: Andrew Johns 2/3

North Queensland Cowboys: 18
Tries: Matthew Bowen, Mitchell Seargent, Johnathan Thurston
Goals: Johnathan Thurston 3/3

Brian Carney had 16 runs for 120m making 2 tackles and missing another.

Carney copped a knock early in the game and never looked entirely comfortable after that hit. I give him credit for remaining on the field given it was looking rather ominous early in the piece.

No try for the Irish winger though he came close in the first half when taking a boot laces ball though bumped in to touch by Neil Sweeney.

Anthony Quinn outshone the Great Britain international in the game of the season.

Kingytek
16-04-06, 08:29 PM
I doubt he has uttered a word about wanting to break his titan contract. It's all the Knights fans starting crap to try to get him to stay!!!

HAHAHAH, oh well. they'll get over it!

lonegull
17-04-06, 11:39 AM
I always had this feeling he might want to stay at newcastle but he seems to nice a guy he will be in the titans jersey 2007

DeeGan
21-04-06, 05:10 PM
Storm Vs Knights
Olympic Park
Sat 7.30pm

Storm
1. Greg Inglis
2. Jake Webster
3. Matt King
4. Chris Walker
5. Steve Turner
6. Matt Geyer
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Garrett Crossman
9. Cameron Smith
10. Brett White
11. David Kidwell
12. Michael Crocker
13. Dallas Johnson

Interchange:
14. Ian Donnelly
15. Ryan Hoffman
16. Jeremy Smith
17. Adam Blair
18. Nathan Friend
19. Matthew Bartlett

Knights
1. Milton Thaiday
2. Brian Carney
3. Matthew Gidley
4. George Carmont
5. Anthony Quinn
6. Kurt Gidley
7. Jarrod Mullen
8. Craig Smith
9. Danny Buderus (C)
10. Josh Perry
11. Steve Simpson
12. Clint Newton
13. Reegan Tanner

Interchange:
14. Adam Woolnough
15. Daniel Tolar
16. Riley Brown
17. Todd Lowrie

Brian Carney is fourth in the NRL in total metres, 888m from 148 hit ups.

..::Coops::..
21-04-06, 05:54 PM
what's black and white and eats like a horse?

a zebra! (courtesy of Brian Carney)

Super Cronk
21-04-06, 06:04 PM
what's black and white and eats like a horse?

a zebra! (courtesy of Brian Carney)

:lol!:

he is a funny bugger. should be a regular on the footy show, or better yet give him his own show!

Coaster
21-04-06, 06:10 PM
The guy is a class act, funny as hell, cant wait to have a beer with him

Chaos
21-04-06, 07:18 PM
The guy is a class act, funny as hell, cant wait to have a beer with him

Yeah...what a great signing.
I new little about the guy at the time he signed for the Titans.
Our culture of signing the person before the player looks like a top idea.
Guys like him will bond a side off the field and guys like Prince will inspire passion on the field.

slinky
25-04-06, 01:43 PM
Yea, Brian Carney is a world class winger and I am very happy with the titans signing of this Irish born winger

DeeGan
25-04-06, 09:28 PM
This thread will be updated tomorrow with game by game stats for Brian with his RLW rating for each round.

DeeGan
30-04-06, 07:13 PM
I have to appologise, this thread just keeps slipping my mind. I will add this as a TO DO item for Outlook. I will finalise the thread tomorrow.

As for Carney today, he had a fair game. I am a little concerned with some of the bad defensive reads that have crept in to his game over the past few weeks - is it simply no confidence in Gidley or quite simply a player struggling to make the right decision? A little of both I think.

I think Luke MacDougall got the better of Brian today.

More stats to come.

patskE
30-04-06, 07:36 PM
yeh deegen i agree
esp when adam mcdougall crossed, he got turned inside out and had his back to him 5m from the line

Dakink
16-05-06, 08:33 PM
Brian Carney was outstanding last week against the Tigers - he was hard tp put down and repeatedly took the load off the forwards. A great performance and if he can keep that up he will be an awesome buy for the Titans!