PDA

View Full Version : Teammates want Titan defector to be skipper

Luke
05-03-06, 12:26 PM
Teammates want Titan defector to be skipper
March 5, 2006

TIGERS back-rower Ben Galea has declared he and his teammates would fully support Scott Prince retaining the captaincy this season despite the halfback's decision to go to the Gold Coast next year.

Galea has been touted as one of the favourites to take over the captaincy from Prince, who relinquished the role when he announced he would move to the Titans in 2007.

Galea said coach Tim Sheens had not yet discussed the captaincy issue with the players, but revealed Prince would have the support of his teammates to stay as skipper.

"I don't know what's happened, whether it's simply a decision from Tim or the Tigers board but if they asked the players whether they still wanted Scott as captain, I'm sure all of us would be happy to have him," he said.

Galea, who has been with the Tigers since 1999 and captained the side several times when former skipper Darren Senter was injured, said if the opportunity arose he would be honoured to take on the role full-time.

"It's something every player wants to do, captain their club," he said. "It's always something to look forward to. It's a great honour to captain a first-grade rugby league team.

"I've done it on a few occasions in years gone by but I'm not holding my breath, it's up to the coach to make that decision."

Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce said he was disappointed with Prince's decision to leave the club, but was glad the saga was over and the premiers were rid of off-field distractions before the NRL season opener on Friday.

Noyce pointed to the coaching merry-go-round as a potential source of instability at other clubs.

"We're happy that it has all been dealt with and we can all now concentrate on football," he said.

"We were happy with the process but not happy with the answer and if we had to do it again, we would do it the same way. Now we can focus on what will be a big year ahead and start planning for life after Scott.

"Whether Scott made his decision in March or in June or July, it probably would have been the same. We are still in an amazing position.

"We've got a coach for the next three years, which is a good thing considering what else is going on in the coaching ranks at the moment, and we have three-quarters of our squad signed up for next year, both of which will give us a lot of stability."

The Tigers said they would explore all options in the search for a halfback successor to Prince for 2007 but recruitment manager Warren McDonnell said a replacement for the 2005 Clive Churchill medallist could already be at the club.

"We're going to have a look outside the club, but we have got a lot of good young kids here," he said.

Benji Marshall's manager, Martin Tauber, said the star five-eighth had not been put off by his scrum partner's move to the Gold Coast. Marshall signed a new three-year deal with the Tigers in November.

"He would have liked Scott to have stayed at the club," Tauber said. "But in deciding to stay with the Tigers, the only guarantee Benji wanted was that Tim Sheens would continue to be coach."

SHM.com

Dakink
05-03-06, 12:42 PM
Good attitude from the club - some of their fans elsewhere could do well to learn from the players and officials at there own club.

qld power
05-03-06, 12:49 PM
good on them

DeeGan
05-03-06, 02:00 PM
What do we believe?

Prince either stepped down after reaching a "mutual agreement" with Sheens or

Prince was forced to relinquish the role?

Depends on who you listen too - Sheens showed last season he was happy to change captains last season even when O'Neill came back, it is in him to "force the hand" of Prince here.

Personally, I believe the best man for the job should be given the (c) next to his name. At the Wests Tigers, Prince is the best man for the job.

If the Tigers don't see it that way and want to further disrupt the season (well I shouldn't say that as Prince again may have stepped down) then I would be looking to the future and get stability at the helm - give the job to Brett Hodgson.

TITANS007
06-03-06, 02:01 PM
What do we believe?

Prince either stepped down after reaching a "mutual agreement" with Sheens or

Prince was forced to relinquish the role?

Depends on who you listen too - Sheens showed last season he was happy to change captains last season even when O'Neill came back, it is in him to "force the hand" of Prince here.

Personally, I believe the best man for the job should be given the (c) next to his name. At the Wests Tigers, Prince is the best man for the job.

If the Tigers don't see it that way and want to further disrupt the season (well I shouldn't say that as Prince again may have stepped down) then I would be looking to the future and get stability at the helm - give the job to Brett Hodgson.

I agree that Prince should remain captain for this year. I believe he was forced into stepping down. Do you really think he would want to give up the gig? He was absolutely relishing in the role, proven by his Dally M award for captain of the year. I don't think there would be a player around who wouldn't want the honour of being captain, and once getting there, would find it extremely difficult to relinquish. If his team mates want him there, then there's your answer. Why fix something that ain't broke?!

Eel 33
06-03-06, 09:55 PM
Too late. Prince has relinquished the captaincy and that honour has been handed to Brett Hodgson. Good choice IMO. It won't be the last time Prince will be captain of the side though.