PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Thurston bucks Cowboys hype

Queenslander
05-03-06, 01:46 AM
Thurston bucks Cowboys hype
GREG DAVIS
05mar06

DALLY M medal winner Johnathan Thurston isn't buying into talk of the Cowboys being favourites for next Sunday's blockbuster against the Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium.

The Broncos were thumped 58-10 by Melbourne in their last trial match and have a host of players recovering from injury with precious little game time under their belt going into Round 1.

On the other hand, the Cowboys looked sharp in their clinical 42-0 dispatching of Souths in Mackay with the likes of Thurston, Matt Bowen and Ty Williams in menacing form.

Despite the two sides taking contrasting trial form into the "local derby", the North Queensland playmaker said the Broncos could never be written off.

"I think we have to be the underdogs going into Suncorp Stadium," Thurston said.

"They'll have the home crowd and the home ground advantage in their favour and they beat us down there last year so it will be tough for us.

"I don't think we should be favourites and you never take a team like the Broncos easy especially with guys like Darren Lockyer in their side."

Thurston said the Cowboys players were keen to make amends on the hallowed turf of the redeveloped Lang Park where North Queensland suffered a 29-16 loss in the corresponding match last year.

"I know I'm itching to get back there and I know all the boys are itching to go because it is a big occasion for both clubs and it's a great way to kick off the season," Thurston said.

"We are all looking forward to it and hopefully we can keep our trial form going.

"The young guys have really stepped up and put pressure on the older guys and that competition for spots is only helping the boys play better and better.

"It keeps everybody on their toes and we can't wait for the season to start."

Twelve months ago at Suncorp Stadium, Thurston was playing his first game for the Cowboys but his impact at the club has been such that he will be North Queensland's vice-captain for this clash.

The leadership role follows his State of Origin debut last year and the Dally M medal win.

"It was a big honour to be named vice-captain of the Cowboys and I hope it can only help my football," he said.

"I want to be more consistent this year and my main goal is to keep performing week-in, week-out and help the boys."

He said he would love to be considered for the North Queensland captaincy down the track.

"That's a few years away yet because Travis (Norton) has plenty of football left in him but that would be huge honour and privilege," Thurston said.

Even though he is locked in a battle with Scott Prince for the Queensland halfback spot, Thurston said Origin commitments would be the furthest thing from his mind next weekend.

"I can't do much about Origin but play good footy for the Cowboys."

The Sunday Mail

Dakink
05-03-06, 09:01 AM
I cannot wait for this game - should be cracker!!

RIP
05-03-06, 11:51 AM
I love these matchers but is there tickets left?

Queenslander
05-03-06, 04:55 PM
I love these matchers but is there tickets left?

Yes there are some left; 30,000 were purchased in the first week and another 15,000 are expected to buy within the next week so get in early to get the best seats.