PDA

View Full Version : Titans: Why Prince did sign....

Queenslander
05-03-06, 01:40 AM
Red light special
GREG DAVIS
05mar06

THE Queensland Ambulance Service has been revealed as a shock bargaining chip in the Gold Coast Titans' successful signing of Scott Prince.

Test halfback Prince agreed to a four-year deal with the Coast on Friday, citing the "go back to Queensland" factor as the prime motivation for his move from the Wests Tigers at the end of the 2006 season.

Part of that attraction for Prince and his young family was that his fiancee Kristy will be able to resume her career as an ambulance officer by moving to the Coast. "Kristy is an ambo and she wasn't able to work down in NSW because of the different qualifications required," Searle said.

"So the fact that she will be able to work up here again was a significant factor for us, as well as Scott and his family.

"We got our man and the QAS got a recruit as well, so it's a win-win."

The Gold Coast also showcased to the former Cowboys and Broncos No.7 the redevelopments to Carrara and blueprints for the Titans' brand new stadium at Robina.

Prince was also shown plans for the social club ? to be known as the Titanium Bar ? at the site of the old Pink Elephant watering hole in Surfers Paradise.

With the biggest signing in the fledgling club's short history secured, Searle said the recruiting focus would now turn to outside backs and front-rowers.

"We are very happy with our halves (Preston Campbell and Prince) and we have the makings of a good forward pack but I think we have to turn our attention to positions like centre, fullback and a couple more props," he said

"We already have a Test prop with Luke Bailey but we would like to bolster things up front as well as getting a bit of strikepower out wide."

A number of top-quality centres come off contract at the end of 2006, with the likes of Willie Tonga, Mark Gasnier, Ryan Cross and Jamie Lyon yet to decide their futures for 2007.

Searle said he expected Sydney clubs to move quickly to re-sign its stars following the Gold Coast's successful recruitment of Prince.

"We have always been about bringing guys home to Queensland and I think if you have a young family, we would be an awesome option given the difference in the cost of living between here and Sydney," he said. "The Broncos have been able to retain players by offering them less money due to that fact, so we hope to get them for the same reason.

"I expect they (Sydney clubs) will try and have their players signed well before June 30 to stop them going on the open market."

Searle said he received a phone call early on Friday morning confirming Prince's decision. It brought a happy ending to a tense time for the club.

"It one of those situations where you could never be 100 per cent confident. You always wondered what the Tigers had in the bag," he said.

"The Tigers always had the last right of reply and we expected them to throw everything at him but we are delighted with Scott's decision and we look forward to him being a part of our club."

It is understood that Prince spent Thursday night and Friday morning going over the rival offers with manager Steve Robinson before settling on the Titans.

Tigers players are believed to have taken the news a lot better than Wests coach Tim Sheens, who stripped Prince of the captaincy following Friday's announcement.

The Sunday Mail

Titans#1
05-03-06, 08:07 AM
Off Topic but.....

Prince was also shown plans for the social club ? to be known as the Titanium Bar ? at the site of the old Pink Elephant watering hole in Surfers Paradise.

Anyone else stoked about that???

Dakink
05-03-06, 09:20 AM
"Titanium bar"

I vote we change the name of our social thread forum to "The Titanium Bar"!!!!

Titans#1
05-03-06, 09:28 AM
"Titanium bar"

I vote we change the name of our social thread forum to "The Titanium Bar"!!!!

It's already in the "Titanium Forums" which was DeeGan's comprimise, but I would still love to see the change!

DeeGan
05-03-06, 09:53 AM
Nothing new here, Scott Prince was putting family first and I think it's great to see everyone involved is happy. We get Prince, his wife get's a job in her chosen profession.

Off topic...I will look at changing the name if need be though the "compromise" was met for the simple reason a thread was started titled "The Titanium Bar". IMO, the Titanium Forums made more sense. Take the vote to the members at the 'Titanium Forums' and if need be I will make the change which I am happy to do ;)

Dakink
05-03-06, 09:56 AM
Was thinking that so we are in line with the club - their social bar wil be the Titanium Bar!

Our social thread should also be the Titanium Bar - also looks better than "Titans social thread"

Cliffy GC
05-03-06, 05:30 PM
the leagues club sounds good
but i kinda like the idea of the club being very close to the ground
eg manly, sharks and parramatta.

Eel 33
06-03-06, 09:28 AM
the leagues club sounds good
but i kinda like the idea of the club being very close to the ground
eg manly, sharks and parramatta.

This would be ideal provided it can be accomodated somewhere near the stasium. That's not to say that there can't be another venue in SP though.