PDA

View Full Version : Greg Bird

mup23
08-12-14, 12:31 PM
Not the biggest offence but a bad look. Good time to offload him, he must still have pretty strict code of conduct clauses in his contract

Mr Stupid
08-12-14, 12:48 PM
http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/12/08/12/03/nrl-star-greg-bird-issued-with-criminal-infringement-notice#7KPZjgfjVYVqQYcA.99

A real Captain's knock. :fist:

Toads
08-12-14, 12:56 PM
Never know.. Birdy n Carney could take their show on the road together. Throw in Oldman Hoppa, for a good measure.

karnage
08-12-14, 01:11 PM
This could be a real positive for us. Bird goes, frees up salary cap space, allows a team player to take his place and frees Myles up to be a sole captain.

#sackBirdy

teke
08-12-14, 01:30 PM
I agree piss this bloke off

Bayside Titan
08-12-14, 01:31 PM
Not a good look for him or the club. I don't understand what he was thinking? Bad look when one of your club captains do this on the back of the club struggling to get a major sponsor.

karnage
08-12-14, 01:32 PM
I agree piss this bloke off

lol... There are a loooot of puns to be run with on this one.

JunctionBlock
08-12-14, 01:46 PM
Footage apparently on Nine news tonight.

C-Whiz
08-12-14, 01:56 PM
I'd be happy if the club lets hm go. Like others have said, frees up a few issues.

It's not the biggest scandal in RL, but the timing is very ordinary, and its indefensible.

Mexican titan
08-12-14, 03:48 PM
I'd be happy if the club lets hm go. Like others have said, frees up a few issues.

It's not the biggest scandal in RL, but the timing is very ordinary, and its indefensible.

I can see why people are wanting him to get the chop but are we going well enough to cut a state of origin player? Just asking. However I would use it as the excuse to take the captaincy off him. I think he has a poor relationship with the refs and spends too much time complaining and giving away dumb penalties. Let him just play and we might all be better off.

mup23
08-12-14, 04:18 PM
If that state of origin player isn't improving the team/squad/club then yes.

GCTTSD
08-12-14, 06:16 PM
We should just take the captaincy off him

Titanic
09-12-14, 12:50 AM
Take the (c) off the big "C", imho ... and 10 points to the person who suggested that the cops were lucky it wasn't Nate Myles wedding.

ozynorts
09-12-14, 07:53 AM
It just show's that he isn't captaincy material and at the very least needs to be fined and lose the role.
I am not in favour of releasing him if it means we have to pay him while he plays elsewhere.
Certainly wouldn't be offering him the type of money he will be asking at the next contract, let him find another club that will pay him silly money.

Bayside Titan
10-12-14, 11:30 AM
Interesting reading one of the articles in the Gold Coast Bullitin and see that it was co written by Lexie Cartwright. I wonder if she put her hand up for that story to do.

Titan4Life
10-12-14, 11:31 AM
IMO I think we should strip him of the captaincy and make Myles the sole leader. Bird may play better with less stress of being a captain. Hopefully it will also stop a lot of his whinging to the ref which puts a bad look on the team. However, I don't think we should sack him. He is still a very good player that might just need a kick up the backside by Henry.

Titanic
10-12-14, 01:51 PM
Totally agree T4L, this is the only solution + a substantial fine.

Titan4Life
11-12-14, 05:34 PM
@proshenks - BREAKING NEWS: Gold Coast captain Greg Bird has broken down at training today with a knee injury. Full extent of injury unclear. #NRL

Bird not having a good week after his wedding. A few jokes going around social media saying "Bird's knee is weak as piss" :laugh:

- - - Updated - - -

INJURY UPDATE: @travismeyn - Greg Bird suffered a minor medial strain at training this morning. Scans tomorrow but expected to be fine after Xmas

DavidBouveng
11-12-14, 06:48 PM
i think losing captaincy sounds about right.

we ar a club that needs to be moving onwards and upwards without bad examples.

we have two young players who are in trouble with the police for drinking matters, and the captain gets pinged....its just not leadership.

you think this doesnt effect our already tough battle finding a major sponsor? it does

you think this doesnt take club managements time and focus off more important matters? it does

We need to better than the rest as we dont have enough credibility to brush over it.

psmitty
11-12-14, 07:15 PM
Maybe it is just me but is it strange that the day he faces the disciplinary hearing is the day he goes down injured until after Christmas. Is this just a cover up story for what really occurred in this meeting today. Maybe there is more to this story.

Titanic
11-12-14, 07:27 PM
I have no issue with Bird dropping his bundle and buggering off ... he can't do too much more damage than what he did with the refs last year and his antics this year ... anything to get some action back into our left side attack. DB is very right about having a drunken clown (or two) as the club leaders ... terrible example.

I wonder what PC thinks about it all?

Titan4Life
11-12-14, 07:38 PM
I have no issue with Bird dropping his bundle and buggering off ... he can't do too much more damage than what he did with the refs last year and his antics this year ... anything to get some action back into our left side attack. DB is very right about having a drunken clown (or two) as the club leaders ... terrible example.

Yep I think a kick up the **** may be what Bird needs. He played solid this year but that's not good enough when you're the team leader. You have got to play out of your skin and be an example for the young players. His arguing with the ref is not a good look for the team. Bird really needs to step up next year with hopefully no (c) beside his name. Myles also needs to stop playing at 50% as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe it is just me but is it strange that the day he faces the disciplinary hearing is the day he goes down injured until after Christmas. Is this just a cover up story for what really occurred in this meeting today. Maybe there is more to this story.

Yeah very strange timing isn't it. Guess we will find out what is happening tomorrow.

shamus
12-12-14, 09:55 AM
I know he was out having dinner and obviously had some bevvies but nowhere in any media whatsoever does it say he was drunk. We are getting as bad as the regular journos who want a headline to print...

Bayside Titan
12-12-14, 10:51 AM
Find out at 10.15 what happens.

DavidBouveng
12-12-14, 10:58 AM
I know he was out having dinner and obviously had some bevvies but nowhere in any media whatsoever does it say he was drunk. We are getting as bad as the regular journos who want a headline to print...

Greg Bird was quoted in a few media reports saying he will consider giving up alcohol after this incident.

I think that is indicating he was drunk.

shamus
12-12-14, 11:06 AM
Greg Bird was quoted in a few media reports saying he will consider giving up alcohol after this incident.

I think that is indicating he was drunk.

Not quite true......I am not defending him but he didn't raise the issue of 'himself' giving up alcohol. It was raised to him by the media.. "would you give up alcohol". He was caught between a rock and a hard place there...If he says no then a new debate starts, so the easy answer is yes, he will consider it.

I would suggest by now he has considered it and the answer is no.

TBH........I don't care if he stays or goes. The latter is way too hard a punishment for this particular misdemeanor........but he should definitely lose Captaincy.

Titanic
12-12-14, 11:13 AM
The club wouldn't sack him but he could do a massive dummy-spit ... he has never seemed the type of bloke to be contrite over his own failings.

Mexican titan
12-12-14, 11:13 AM
What gets me is he had just left the Beach Hotel ( a place where I have been smashed many times) and decided to have a splash. The are plenty of dunnies at the Beach Hotel and it's like he thought "nah it's just easier to go outside". Dumb.
I am not worried about what he did, moreso the stupidity of him.

Titanic
12-12-14, 11:19 AM
MT, I've had a few there myself but I reckon it went like this ... "p1ss on the pigs, hahahahaha" that sounds more like one of our blokes after a lot to drink and don't forget they were chasing him so he did something to attract the attention.

DavidBouveng
12-12-14, 11:21 AM
Not quite true......I am not defending him but he didn't raise the issue of 'himself' giving up alcohol. It was raised to him by the media.. "would you give up alcohol". He was caught between a rock and a hard place there...If he says no then a new debate starts, so the easy answer is yes, he will consider it.

I would suggest by now he has considered it and the answer is no.

TBH........I don't care if he stays or goes. The latter is way too hard a punishment for this particular misdemeanor........but he should definitely lose Captaincy.

I get what your saying, but if he wasnt drunk then he might have said ' it had nothing to do with drinking, it was just an error in judgement and im embarrassed about it, or something similar.

I agree just saying he will consider it was the smoothest way to get through the question, but i also think by that point, him being at least a little drunk is widely assumed and accepted.

i dont think its extremely bad in light the usual NRL antics, but with a young squad and no sponsor we deserve better.

Toads
12-12-14, 11:29 AM
Well, it's good enough to being 10:30am for my liking. Have we any news yet?

Titan4Life
12-12-14, 11:42 AM
@jbcallinan : Greg Bird fined $15k and stripped of co-captaincy. Now sitting on grounds of termination if breaches code again

Titanic
12-12-14, 11:43 AM
and fair enough too.

mup23
12-12-14, 11:43 AM
Meyn reporting that he was stripped of captaincy

shamus
12-12-14, 11:44 AM
There you go Toads...courtesy of T4L

@jbcallinan : Greg Bird fined $15k and stripped of co-captaincy. Now sitting on grounds of termination if breaches code again

Titan4Life
12-12-14, 11:55 AM
It is a $15k fine which is also fair. Good on the club for having the guts to step up and not tolerate this sort of stuff. He commited a breach at the wrong time when we are looking for sponsors and trying to look professional. At least now he can concentrate on his footy.

- - - Updated - - -

James Roberts fined $3k. Annersely said the Bird decision had to happen as the club has 'standards'.

- - - Updated - - -

Titans sanction Bird and Roberts
Fri 12th December, 10:00AM

http://wa1.www.titans.com.au/content/titans/club/news/2014/12/12/titans_sanction_bird/_jcr_content/par/image.img.jpg/1418342662533.jpg

The Board of the Gold Coast Titans has approved sanctions to be imposed on Greg Bird and James Roberts as a result of significant brand and reputational damage suffered by the club arising from recent incidents of unacceptable public behaviour by both players.

In both cases the players breached the Titans Code of Conduct and the NRL Code of Conduct which they are legally bound to comply with at all times under the terms of their NRL playing contracts.

Titans Chief Executive Officer, Graham Annesley said today, “Whilst the circumstances of these incidents are serious enough alone to warrant club imposed sanctions, the details pale into insignificance compared to the damage done to the club’s standing in the community at a time when the Board and management are doing everything possible to rebuild the Titans brand and ensure the long term sustainability of the club.

“All players need to accept personal responsibility for their actions and recognise that incidents of this nature not only damage the reputation and commercial prospects of the club, but also bring the image of the NRL and the game of Rugby League into substantial disrepute”, Annesley added.

The Titans Disciplinary Committee gave both players the opportunity to explain their actions and whilst Greg and James expressed remorse, the committee formed the strong view that the damage inflicted on the club and the game leaves no alternative but to send a clear message that any reoccurrence may place the continuation of their contracts with the club in jeopardy.

The Board has approved the following sanctions:

Greg Bird:

A fine of $15,000 To be deducted from his 2015 salary
Ineligibility for selection as team captain effective immediately
Formal notice that any further breaches of the NRL Code of Conduct during the remaining term of his contract may be viewed as grounds for termination by the club

James Roberts:

A fine of $3,000 To be deducted from his 2015 salary
An independent assessment to determine any required rehabilitation programs
Formal notice that any further breaches of the NRL Code of Conduct during the remaining term of his contract may be viewed as grounds for termination by the club

Toads
12-12-14, 12:01 PM
Yup, Pretty fair well thought out outcome for Birdy's indiscretion. I don't think I could've come up with a better solution..

Titanic
12-12-14, 12:08 PM
Yup, Pretty fair well thought out outcome for Birdy's indiscretion. I don't think I could've come up with a better solution..
Don't be so humble old mate, we know they still tie them to the mast and flog them up where you are ... and I can promise you we have a better solution over here ... the 'now you see them, now you don't solution' where you just quietly disappear to a camp in far western provinces for re-educating.

Toads
12-12-14, 12:22 PM
Well, at least their a bit PC over your way. The Death Buses dont sound too bad, compared to being whipped within a inch of your life 'n pushed into the river thereafter. :p

Titanic
12-12-14, 12:35 PM
lol ... the other very good thing they have over here, is the death penalty where they don't mess around with the cost of lethal injections and doctors and witnesses and so on, just the price of one bullet at close range.

JunctionBlock
12-12-14, 01:26 PM
Roberts' charges were dropped. That's a bit harsh.

shamus
12-12-14, 01:29 PM
lol ... the other very good thing they have over here, is the death penalty where they don't mess around with the cost of lethal injections and doctors and witnesses and so on, just the price of one bullet at close range.

I think you can have 2 side by side and 1 bullet does the trick...

Mexican titan
12-12-14, 02:09 PM
Most of us here thought losing the captaincy was the right option and I think it will be a blessing in disguise. Fortunately the Titans have Nate Myles on this years membership cards not both 2014 captains. The 15k fine is fair enough as well.
As for Roberts, even though the charges were dropped, he probably needed a warning shot and 3k fine is fair enough.

Mexican titan
12-12-14, 02:09 PM
Most of us here thought losing the captaincy was the right option and I think it will be a blessing in disguise. Fortunately the Titans have Nate Myles on this years membership cards not both 2014 captains. The 15k fine is fair enough as well.
As for Roberts, even though the charges were dropped, he probably needed a warning shot and 3k fine is fair enough.

Geeman
12-12-14, 09:05 PM

I have Bird on my new membership card. I wonder if this makes it a rare, "collectors edition"...

Chaserz
12-12-14, 11:21 PM
Hmm, I have some mixed thoughts about it, although I do agree on the loss of captaincy and the $15k fine. Timing couldn't be worse, though.

(Can't wait what I will get on my membership card :P).

Mexican titan
13-12-14, 02:30 PM
I have Bird on my new membership card. I wonder if this makes it a rare, "collectors edition"...

They must have different players on different categories of membership then I guess. Yours must be a collectors edition for sure!

kioli
13-12-14, 02:57 PM
I have Birdy on mine aswell. Wonder if it's based on anything or if Myles/Bird were just randomly used on half of the cards each.