PDA

View Full Version : Storm have a shot at Orford

Super Cronk
04-03-06, 02:09 PM
Theage.com.au

THE Melbourne Storm will be better off this year without Matt Orford because the former star half-back, for all his on-field brilliance, could not produce the team-oriented style needed for the Storm to be a premiership contender, recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan said yesterday.

With the National Rugby League season to start next Friday, the Storm had spent the off-season bedding down a new game plan centred around new half-back Cooper Cronk and his partnership with five-eighth Scott Hill.

It was a game plan O'Sullivan was confident would produce a style that the Storm had been trying, but failing, to produce for several years. It is also one that O'Sullivan said could not have been implemented had Orford not jumped ship to Manly at the end of last season. O'Sullivan said Orford had a tendency to "play the way Ox (Orford) wanted to play, rather than for the betterment of the team". It was not the only flaw in the fabric of the team structure but the Orford-led on-field performance was often exposed against the better outfits.

The Storm starts its season against the New Zealand Warriors in Auckland next Sunday and O'Sullivan said he was confident the new style of play, where Cronk would use Hill as a link man to his classy outside backs and run off the forwards more than Orford, would take the Storm past its recent semi-final ceiling.

Cronk is one of several players coming out of contract this year but O'Sullivan, who went to Sydney yesterday for talks with Cronk's manager, said he was confident an extension could be finalised within days.

After an off-season of speculation about Cronk's ability to step into the position previously held by stars Orford and Brett Kimmorley, the 22-year-old's pre-season form has impressed. He has been mentored by former Test five-eighth Matthew Johns.

"I always said Cooper Cronk was a better player than Matt Orford at the same age and same stage of careers, so Cronk taking the next step was not a risk," O'Sullivan said.

Cronk, who has spent the past couple of seasons as a back-up for hooker Cameron Smith and Orford, or as a stand-in for five-eighth Hill, said he was looking forward to the start of his first NRL season as a first-choice player.

"It's been really enjoyable," he said. "The coaching staff at the Storm have shown me a lot of faith and given me the first crack (at half-back). The hard work has been done so hopefully, it turns out good for me with performances on the paddock from here on in.

"It's exciting to go into a season having a particular role to play in the team. I've got the chance at it now but I haven't established myself as yet.

"There's still a lot of work to be done to fulfil having the No. 7 jersey."

Cronk said he wanted to stay in Melbourne and was confident negotiations for a three-year deal with the Storm would be finished by next week, and he could continue to concentrate on the encouraging partnership with Hill that was on devastating show against the Broncos last weekend.

He said he did not feel any pressure taking over from Orford. "Pressure's what you make of it, mate. The guys around me are helping me out and so are the coaching staff, so we're just playing footy and having a bit of fun with it," he said.

---

As another storm fan said on the storm forum "thems fightin words!"

Steve Dangerous
04-03-06, 03:09 PM
lol i remember when the northern eagles swiped kimmorley and he had a crap year. i wonder if the same will happen with orford on manly.

Super Cronk
04-03-06, 03:12 PM
lol i remember when the northern eagles swiped kimmorley and he had a crap year. i wonder if the same will happen with orford on manly.

If orford can fix his inconsistentcy the he will be a damn good halfback. But he goes missing...cant kick and altho a decent defender he comes up out of the line to much.

Steve Dangerous
04-03-06, 03:25 PM
they're really fortunate to have the cronkster waiting in the wings. what could have been a really bad loss instead has lots of positives... plus coops is a qlder, i think.

Super Cronk
04-03-06, 03:48 PM
they're really fortunate to have the cronkster waiting in the wings. what could have been a really bad loss instead has lots of positives... plus coops is a qlder, i think.

Yeah, thing is cronk still has alot to learn...he already has plenty of skill so he can only grow as a player. And the news that he may be re-signing next week is awesome.

And yes he is a QLD'er yet another QLD bloke who has done excellent at the storm.

DeeGan
04-03-06, 04:13 PM
I think Cronk will handle the job though what is it exactly O'Sullivan is wanting to get from coming out with this? To put more on the shoulders of young Cronk who is apparently a "a better player than Matt Orford at the same age and same stage of careers" - I am not sure O'Sullivan can gauge that just yet despite being in the corner of his halfback.

Super Cronk
04-03-06, 04:17 PM
I think Cronk will handle the job though what is it exactly O'Sullivan is wanting to get from coming out with this? To put more on the shoulders of young Cronk who is apparently a "a better player than Matt Orford at the same age and same stage of careers" - I am not sure O'Sullivan can gauge that just yet despite being in the corner of his halfback.

Its alright...cronk can handle the extra pressure, unlike orford. :emp:

DeeGan
04-03-06, 04:29 PM
Its alright...cronk can handle the extra pressure, unlike orford. :emp:

Perhaps, though as a Storm fan do you find it odd that this has come from "left field" super cronk?

It serves as something to motivate a big performance from Orford against his old club and nothing else for mine.

I am a big fan of Melbourne and those involved with the club which is the only reason why I am questioning this piece.

Super Cronk
04-03-06, 04:37 PM
Perhaps, though as a Storm fan do you find it odd that this has come from "left field" super cronk?

It serves as something to motivate a big performance from Orford against his old club and nothing else for mine.

I am a big fan of Melbourne and those involved with the club which is the only reason why I am questioning this piece.

O'Sullivan is only saying what most people think(well most storm supporters).

I think Orford will lift agianst the storm anyway no matter what anyone says...and i also think the storm will lift agianst manly.

mb63
05-03-06, 04:47 PM
Can't understand why O'Sullivan would do this.Orford was good for the club & there might even be some merit in what O'Sullivan is saying but why bother?Round 1 is not even here so how can we judge whether the Storm are better or worse without him?

Cliffy GC
05-03-06, 05:27 PM
just saved this article and the name of the nuffy who wrote it in the age
i'll bring it back finals time when ox has us in the top 4

im interested to see how the cronkster goes being a fan of the Continous Call the cronkster is one of their heros

Super Cronk
05-03-06, 06:37 PM
Can't understand why O'Sullivan would do this.Orford was good for the club & there might even be some merit in what O'Sullivan is saying but why bother?Round 1 is not even here so how can we judge whether the Storm are better or worse without him?

Orford wasnt that good for the club. Sure some of his good footy got us into the finals but he went missing agian in the finals.

Cliffy GC
05-03-06, 07:27 PM
Orford wasnt that good for the club. Sure some of his good footy got us into the finals but he went missing agian in the finals.
matie talk about sour grapes

how many years did the storm make the finals while he was there???

next thing u will say is kimmorley wasnt that good for ure club.

Super Cronk
05-03-06, 07:33 PM
matie talk about sour grapes

how many years did the storm make the finals while he was there???

next thing u will say is kimmorley wasnt that good for ure club.

No it isnt sour grapes. If you read any of my posts regarding orford you would know that. But some people automatically think " sour grapes". I have always said he is a good halfback, but extremely inconsistent...you will find out for yourself this year. I have also had some pot shots at him but they are tongue in cheek...

And as i said he got us to the finals but he folded in big games. You would know that if you had watched more then 2 storm games a year.

Kimmorley was great for our club....esp when he helped us win the Grand Final. And atleast noddy is consistent and can kick.

Queenslander
05-03-06, 08:45 PM
I personally thought Orford was great towards the start of the last season, and perhaps good enough for the Australian number 7 in the Anzac test; however his form dropped and as super cronk said he was rather inconsistent

The Original Idiot
06-03-06, 09:06 PM
It's not that Orford is bad, but Cronk is a f***ing awesome prospect. I can't wait to see his kicking game into the wind again- he destroyed Burleigh with that.

Super Cronk
06-03-06, 09:58 PM
Orford isnt bad....simply inconsistent. When at his best he is very good. Still not up there with andrew johns or even gower but still good.

And brn2bwyld no mate. telling the truth isnt sour grapes...not one person who has seen orford play can tell me he is not inconsistent.