PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Prince forced to quit

DeeGan
04-03-06, 12:15 PM
Prince forced to quit

By JAMES HOOPER

March 04, 2006

SCOTT Prince -- the Wests Tigers' Clive Churchill Medallist -- was yesterday forced to quit as captain of the premiers after signing a four-year, $1.6million deal to join Gold Coast from 2007.

Prince officially broke the news of his departure to coach Tim Sheens in a one-on-one meeting at the club's Concord headquarters.

Prince's decision to return home to Queensland by signing with the Titans forced him to relinquish the Tigers' leadership role in the interests of team harmony.

Quizzed on the decision to stand aside, a cautious Prince offered: "We just sort of came to a mutual agreement and I thought that it's probably right that I stand down also."

Tigers back-rower Ben Galea remains the favourite to be appointed as the premiers' new skipper, with fullback Brett Hodgson, prop John Skandalis and hooker Robbie Farah also among the contenders.

Sheens declined to comment last night.

The Wests Tigers are in for a turbulent season in 2006 - if they start slow again, I wonder how long before Scott Prince cops the blame for their form and the "he is more concerned with the Titans in 2007" BS spews from former greats like backdoor.