PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Expectations

Titanic
11-11-14, 11:12 AM
This squad is a lot better than the 2014 season mainly due to the ppl we have let go. Top 12 might be a possibility
This post raises an interesting question: what constitutes reasonable expectations for the coming season? So I have created a poll.

And to get the ball rolling ... I voted 13-16 and am not going to be disappointed if that's where we end up for the following reasons:

1. We look very average at 1, 6, 7 and 9 (there will be fierce competition for the spots but the choices we have are hardly world shattering).

2. We have cleaned out a lot of our roster which means we will be short of combinations.

3. We have commenced a youth policy and we will be short of experience.

4. We have a new coaching team and with change will come some level of settling down.

5. We have changed training venues (see point 4).

6. The clean-out will also have unsettled the leadership group.

7. The majority of other clubs have not been so destabilised.

In summary, my points are not meant to be in the negative, just an appraisal of our current situation ... I hope we kick ar$e but am being realistic.

lonegull
11-11-14, 11:28 AM
I think top anywhere in the top 8 should be an achievable target

karnage
11-11-14, 11:54 AM
I was being optimistic when I put 9th to 12th. The thing is, I've felt better about this off season than I have in 5 years at least. I'm really going to enjoy watching the team develop next year. We are going to cop some absolute beltings next season but you never know, we might just produce one or two of our own as well - soemthing that NEVER happened under Cartwright.

Hail Sezer
11-11-14, 12:07 PM
Put 9 to 12 as I couldn't bring myself to click the option that included the spoon, however i'd be surprised if we got above 10th. Titanic has raised some valid points and IMO the Raiders, Sharks, Tigers and Knights are all in the same boat as us.

As many people have said before, if we play an attractive brand of footy and some of our young guns make a name for themselves then I will be satisfied with season 2015.

lonegull
11-11-14, 12:07 PM
well said Karnage couldn't agree more, their is a heap of upside with the titans, changes have been made so feeling good about the whole situation

TitansFan92
11-11-14, 12:57 PM
I went 9-12 but I believe if the players play to there full potential we can make the top 8

Bayside Titan
11-11-14, 01:30 PM
I went 9-12 but hope we sneek into the eight.

Just think that the "Spine" will need to evolve.

Titanic Believer
11-11-14, 01:37 PM
I voted 9-12 as well hopefully at the higher end simply because there is a lot of restructuring in other teams.
I'll be happy if the team:
Keeps a fighting spirit and puts in every week for 80 minutes
Learns how to put the other team to the sword on the days the opposition is off the pace.
Score trys from structured plays (not rely on flukes, intercepts and other teams dropped balls).
Some future stars start to emerge.

Titan4Life
11-11-14, 09:15 PM
My expectations for 2015 are:

1. Finish somewhere between 9-12 on the ladder. I acknowledge that the club is going through a rebuilding stage and it will take 2-3 years for combinations to be formed etc. I would even be happy with a 13th place finish as long as the team completes expectation 2.

2. The team goes out there every week and gives 100%. In our 8 year history we have not performed at our best mainly because of poor effort from several players. Guys like Bird and Myles need to step up to mentor the young blokes.

3. There is no favouritism for spots in the team. How people like Zillman have kept their spot despite poor performances is ridiculous. Keep everyone on their toes and challenging for spots.

4. We see some young guys like Hudson, Elgey, Hazard, Broadhurst, Paasi etc debut in first grade if other players are not performing. We need to focus on youth and the future because an acing roster has been our problem in the past. Who doesn't enjoy seeing a young kid make first grade and absolutely kill it?

5. I would like to see our attack and defence improved. Like others have said we can't rely on lucky tries, intercepts and poor defence from the opposition. Let's get some structure and look dangerous every set of six. In defence we need to hit hard and work together to stop line breaks, tries and tackle busts from the other team. Our defence and attacking stats were horrific in 2014.

6. Stay in close games and don't give up. We need to show resilience and don't let teams run away with it in the last 20mins. Be a threatening team that opposition fans fear being in a tight contest with.

7. Make CBUS Stadium a fortress that other teams fear. Put in good performances and win games at home. This will attract fans to come to home games and therefore increase numbers.

Some of these expectations may not happen in the first year but most of them hopefully will. One thing is for sure, I am so bloody excited for 2015! Up the Titans!

Mexican titan
11-11-14, 09:28 PM
Pretty good summary T4L.
I have gone 9th to 12th and I hope it will be the upper end of that group. Frankly 13-16th regardless of how they play etc will not be satisfactory in my opinion.

ozynorts
12-11-14, 08:21 AM
Yep 9-12 here too. Hoping that we see an improvement in our attacking structures and better overall defence. I agree with the comments made about it taking time and I hope that the roster continues to evolve and change until the balance is right.

Geeman
12-11-14, 01:51 PM
I have gone 9-12, mainly because there seems to be huge roster changes for quite a few teams, so it kind of puts them in the same boat as us, and I am just hopeful that the new regime King seems to be bringing in has a positive effect on the whole playing group. The new coaching staff seem determined to change the deficiencies of the past and have easily highlighted our past issues, so I have high hopes, without expecting too much.

K4SE
22-11-14, 11:33 PM
I'm going 9-12 because I am excited to see Henry take control and sweep out the cobwebs and it feels like a new start. I hope that 2015 see the team playing at 100% effort each game with some structure and a renewed confidence and commitment.

From what I have read I also feel that Henry won't accept anything less than the best and that mediocrity should be a thing of the past so I hope this translates into results.

Supergoose
24-11-14, 12:08 AM
I have gone 5-8. There's no reason that with the cultural and coaching changes the cattle we have can't make a dent in the opposition. Guys like James and Ridge are ready to go to the next level and our recruiting has been solid if not spectacular. If we get some results from Crampton and any of our recruits we could be in for some finals action. I'll remain optimistic until we see otherwise

Titanic
03-12-14, 11:40 AM
NRL WOODEN SPOON BETTING
$4 Raiders
$5 Dragons
$5 Tigers
$6 Eels
$7 Titans
$9 Knights
$15 Sharks
$34 Warriors
$51 Cowboys
$67 Storm
$81 Sea Eagles
$101 Broncos
$101 Bulldogs
$101 Rabbitohs
$101 Roosters

Numbers
03-12-14, 12:21 PM
NRL WOODEN SPOON BETTING
$4 Raiders
$5 Dragons
$5 Tigers
$6 Eels
$7 Titans
$9 Knights
$15 Sharks
$34 Warriors
$51 Cowboys
$67 Storm
$81 Sea Eagles
$101 Broncos
$101 Bulldogs
$101 Rabbitohs
$101 Roosters

Betfair paints an even bleaker picture. On their market to win the 2015 Premiership we are a relatively distant second last, ahead of only the Raiders.

teke
03-12-14, 01:03 PM
Bloody Broncos have really fast forwarded their building. They look like a strong top 4/5 team

Titanic
03-12-14, 02:27 PM
Broncos are possibly a top 8 but I can't see them in front of Soufs, Manly, Storm, Dogs, Cows or freakin' Rorters for that matter, with either Panthers or Sharks rounding off the eight.

Mexican titan
03-12-14, 04:59 PM
Broncos are possibly a top 8 but I can't see them in front of Soufs, Manly, Storm, Dogs, Cows or freakin' Rorters for that matter, with either Panthers or Sharks rounding off the eight.

Geez for a minute I thought you said the Sharks rounding off the eight............hang on you did say that. You might get good odds on that, although if they can keep Lewis on the field they have a chance. That's a big ask though as he is one of the most injury prone players in the NRL.
Regrettably I think Teke might be right in relation to the Broncos. I see a huge improvement in them and I even wouldn't be surprised if they go pretty close to winning it. I see it as being between them, Souths, Roosters and Cows.

mup23
03-12-14, 05:30 PM
Just on the ponies and the "Bennett factor"
In 2011 the Knights finished 8th and with Bennett a lot of people tipped them to finish in the top four in 2012 and win a premiership in 2012-2014. They finished 12th. They had a good run in 2013 finishing 7th and falling just short of the grand final. In 2014 they finished 12th.
The game has changed a lot since he was at the top of the game, plus he had every advantage possible with the ponies in the 90s and early 2000s.
The ponies will be relying on players like Hunt, Milford and Copley who all had break out years in 2014 (Milford started to come good at the end of 2013) but they're all young blokes that will be studied a lot more than ever before in the off season. Technically none of them can suffer second year syndrome but they can all definitely go through something similar.
Gillett and McCullough are being figured out by other clubs, Thaiday is past his best and Hodges could easily miss half (or more) of the season.

I can honestly see them finishing outside the 8

Titanic
03-12-14, 07:40 PM
I agree with you m23, whether Milford is really an NRL 5/8 is a really huge question and as for the Sharks MT, they have a team on paper that could sneak into the 8 in front of those below them rather than being up with the ones in front of them, imho.

Titan4Life
03-12-14, 08:06 PM
My predicted top 8 for 2015 is:

1. Cowboys
2. Roosters
3. Panthers
4. Bulldogs
5. Broncos
6. Rabbits
7. Sea Eagles
8. Storm

9. Sharks
10. Warriors
11. Titans
12. Knights
13. Dragons
14. Eels
15. Tigers
16. Raiders

Mexican titan
03-12-14, 08:16 PM
My predicted top 8 for 2015 is:

1. Cowboys
2. Roosters
3. Panthers
4. Bulldogs
5. Broncos
6. Rabbits
7. Sea Eagles
8. Storm

9. Sharks
10. Warriors
11. Titans
12. Knights
13. Dragons
14. Eels
15. Tigers
16. Raiders

Pretty much agree with your top 8 and bottom 8 except for the order. I think the Rabbits will finish higher than 6th and Panthers below 3rd. Of those outside the 8 I think Warriors and Parra will go close and possibly make it, probably at the expense of Manly and Storm.
When you look at the top 8 you have listed and then consider others such as Parra, Warriors and the Sharks it sobers me up as to the Titans top 8 chances. It's hard to see any of those teams missing out at the Titans expense but I am hoping.

Titan4Life
03-12-14, 08:25 PM
Pretty much agree with your top 8 and bottom 8 except for the order. I think the Rabbits will finish higher than 6th and Panthers below 3rd. Of those outside the 8 I think Warriors and Parra will go close and possibly make it, probably at the expense of Manly and Storm.
When you look at the top 8 you have listed and then consider others such as Parra, Warriors and the Sharks it sobers me up as to the Titans top 8 chances. It's hard to see any of those teams missing out at the Titans expense but I am hoping.

I honestly don't think Parramatta will make the 8 or even go close to getting in the finals. Hayne was holding up that team almost single handedly and they will seriously struggle without him.

Sharks may get there but I see them just missing out. They will definitely improve a lot next year but players must step up if they want to make the finals.

Warriors are hot and cold so I really don't know about them. They are a team who when they play good, they are on fire but when they are down on form, they play ****. Depends if Johnson plays consistent for once and also their forwards need to stop being lazy.

I think we have a fairly good chance to make the finals next year. A team with Myles, Bird, Taylor, Hoffman and Mead could be dangerous but we need the whole team to step up. However I think we will finish 9-13 and I won't be disappointed with that because I realise we are in a rebuilding phase.

jacksonm
03-12-14, 08:58 PM
All good points and summary above, like others I would like to see us +60% at home. As important to me is a club improvement with crowds and the performance of the u20's. I'm encouraged by the last few months and hopefully we are well on the way to having a club with soul.

Mr Stupid
05-12-14, 11:22 AM
Bloody Broncos have really fast forwarded their building. They look like a strong top 4/5 team

Boyd out for the season having done his achilles. Milford to FB you'd imagine.

Titanic
05-12-14, 05:41 PM
Boyd out for the season having done his achilles. Milford to FB you'd imagine.
They do have the Pommie and Hodges too but if Milford goes back they are without a 5/8 and will have to look to their younger brigade ... interesting times ahead for Bennett and I wonder what the bookies are saying now.

ozynorts
03-03-15, 02:03 PM
Hold the phone, stop the press, we are 4th........................ :rolf:
The ladder on the NRL website has us sitting in 4th without a game being played so perhaps we can just go straight to the finals?????:nonono:

DIEHARD
03-03-15, 02:22 PM
Hold the phone, stop the press, we are 4th........................ :rolf:
The ladder on the NRL website has us sitting in 4th without a game being played so perhaps we can just go straight to the finals?????:nonono:

Woohoo!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/nrl2015_zpsbs4bhwnq.jpg

ozynorts
09-09-15, 09:08 PM
Well just read back through this thread and only one person who voted got it right........Not me.
Interesting to read some of the predictions for the top eight too.

DIEHARD
10-09-15, 12:10 AM
I didnt even reply to this. But Im pretty sure I thought about 12th.

Looking back, 2015 was such a wild ride. But we got through it. And I'm happy that the club has sorted out some major major issues. Ownership. :)

Titanic Believer
10-09-15, 07:04 AM
I voted 9-12 as well hopefully at the higher end simply because there is a lot of restructuring in other teams.
I'll be happy if the team:
Keeps a fighting spirit and puts in every week for 80 minutes
Learns how to put the other team to the sword on the days the opposition is off the pace.
Score trys from structured plays (not rely on flukes, intercepts and other teams dropped balls).
Some future stars start to emerge.

At least one "hoped for" came about with LGs emergence. and there was some actual attack.

Titanic
10-09-15, 01:41 PM
Well just read back through this thread and only one person who voted got it right........Not me.
Interesting to read some of the predictions for the top eight too.That's me alright and here is what I expected:

And to get the ball rolling ... I voted 13-16 and am not going to be disappointed if that's where we end up for the following reasons:

1. We look very average at 1, 6, 7 and 9 (there will be fierce competition for the spots but the choices we have are hardly world shattering).

At #1, Zillmana and Hoffman swapped until Timbaa went missing and Mead entered the rotation. At #6 and #7, Zillman, Hoffman and even Taylor were who we backed-up Sezer and Mortimer (yes Mortimer) until Elgey got a shot. At #9, Moseley was backed up by Simpkins until Falloon got back who in turn was backed-up by Moseley and Redman (in 3 years nobody will remember this bloke).

2. We have cleaned out a lot of our roster which means we will be short of combinations.

Half's, both edges and outside backs never developed combinations.

3. We have commenced a youth policy and we will be short of experience.

Elgey, Moseley, Paasi, Burr, Macdonald, Peteru, Li, Redman and even Roberts are all novices to some extent.

4. We have a new coaching team and with change will come some level of settling down.

Crystal ball material here? Not at all, what we saw was what we got.

5. We have changed training venues (see point 4).

Got even worse when TSS threw us out.

6. The clean-out will also have unsettled the leadership group.

Smart **** that I am was proven so right by our leadership group of "Don't raise a sweat" Myles, "Never to be seen again" Zillman and "The most suspended player ever" Bird all shone for their lack of game time.

7. The majority of other clubs have not been so destabilised.

Nearly got pipped here by the Tigers and the Knights but picking 13-16 and an Elgey masterclass saved me.

In summary, my points are not meant to be in the negative, just an appraisal of our current situation ... I hope we kick ar$e but am being realistic.Well we didn't kick ar$e but I am now, as I was then, not suicidal about the result yet I expect a whole lot more next year. And you read it here first ... we will not make the finals next year but will finish about the same although we will enjoy the year a lot more.

ozynorts
10-09-15, 02:24 PM
On the field the end result was disappointing. I was hoping for a little better but injuries hurt us again.
Off the field though was huge. Having the old regime swept out by the NRL was club saving. Going forward this gives the club security and it gives me confidence that we can turn it around.
An aside here is that DCE has put a huge hole in the plans and it will take some time to recover from that.

DIEHARD
10-09-15, 03:10 PM
Got even worse when TSS threw us out.

Damn I forgot about that!

Titanic
10-09-15, 05:14 PM
Damn I forgot about that!Crikey I thought you never forgot anything :)