PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast Titans keen on Josh Hoffman

DIEHARD
20-10-14, 01:23 AM
Gold Coast Titans keen on Josh Hoffman after Kelly and Blair leave

THE Gold Coast Titans are realistically in the market now for wantaway Broncos fullback Josh Hoffman after the shock departure of halves Albert Kelly and Maurice Blair to the UK Super League.

Reports of the Titans opening talks with Hoffman surfaced earlier this month, however there was little hope of the club fitting the star under the salary cap.

Hoffman was granted permission to explore offers from other clubs by new Broncos coach Wayne Bennett after being told he was not guaranteed the fullback role.

It is understood the Canberra Raiders have offered $600,000-plus a season to secure the Kiwi Test star.

However, the weekend announcement of Kelly, 23, and Blair, 30, transferring to Hull KR in England for next season makes for a whole new ball game by giving the Titans some salary cap flexibility.

Gold Coast coach Neil Henry believes his club now has the cash to attract a quality fullback or centre to the club with Hoffman a possibility.

“He (Hoffman) would be a player we’d be interested in,” Henry said.

“There is no doubt he is a quality player (and) I think we can certainly be in the market.”

Henry believes the Gold Coast lifestyle would be a big selling point for Hoffman as opposed to relocating his wife and young daughter.

“If it comes down to where he wants to live then we think we can be attractive on that end,” Henry said.

“We are not up there competing with the real cashed up clubs (but) there will be some player movement with a few clubs juggling their salary cap.”

Hoffman’s manager Paul Hogan confirmed he has held talks with Henry and new Titans recruiter Jamie Mathiou, however no official offer has been made.

“I’ve had some conversations with Neil (Henry) and Jamie Mathiou,” Hogan said. “There has been no further movement. We’re taking it a little bit at a time, make sure we are making the right decision.”

The possibility of Hoffman joining the Titans would create a logjam for the No.1 jersey with William Zillman and David Mead.

But Henry said if Hoffman joined the Gold Coast there was no guarantee he would be given the fullback role.

“It is all hypothetical (but) he is a player who can play centre, five-eighth and fullback,” Henry said.

Titans CEO Graham Annesley yesterday denied the release of Kelly and Blair was linked to the club’s salary cap sanctions handed down by the NRL last week.

The club was fined $225,000 with a further $75,000 and four competition points suspended for two years in relation to a breach involving the contract of former captain Scott Prince in 2012.

“It is completely unrelated (to the salary cap fine),” he said.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

Arcane
20-10-14, 03:38 AM
Glad to hear, I'm all for Hoffman positive steps in the right direction. Let's just hope the lure of playing on the coast under a new system is something he wants

Hail Sezer
20-10-14, 06:53 AM
Just seeing Mathiou's name being thrown in there as a point of contact makes me feel much more confident about us securing players.

Im a bit torn on hoffman. I dont want him as a centre, but im not sure he would bring more than Mead would at fullback. However at the same time, he may be our only hope of getting Zillman OUT of fullback.

Maybe we can pay the raiders to take Zillman? :thumbsup:

TITAN PETE
20-10-14, 08:00 AM
$600k from the Raiders,,,there must be a $300k living away from home allowance attached to that figure...

If they sign him for $300k I'd be happy with that

Titan4Life
20-10-14, 03:15 PM
TITANS SURGE INTO FAVOURITISM TO SECURE HOFFMAN
Rugby League Week
October 20, 2014

A WEEK ago they were feeling the salary cap squeeze but now the Gold Coast Titans could be on the verge of snaring the best fullback on the open market.

Neil Henry’s shock decision to release backs Albert Kelly and Maurice Blair to join Hull KR in the Super League has immediately eased the club’s 2015 salary cap strain, putting them in prime position to capture disgruntled Broncos custodian Josh Hoffman.

The Warriors and the Dragons are also said to be in the hunt for Hoffman, however with the opportunity to stay in Queensland and the ability to offer the 26-year-old a starting fullback gig – the Titans have now surged into favouritism to secure his services.

“He (Hoffman) would be a player we’d be interested in,” Henry told the Gold Coast Bulletin.

“There is no doubt he is a quality player (and) I think we can certainly be in the market.

“If it comes down to where he wants to live then we think we can be attractive on that end.

“We are not up there competing with the real cashed up clubs (but) there will be some player movement with a few clubs juggling their salary cap.”

Hoffman’s manager Paul Hogan confirmed he had been in talks with Henry over a potential deal, however at this stage, no offer has yet been made.

“I’ve had some conversations with Neil (Henry) and Jamie Mathiou (Titans recruiter),” Hogan said.

“There has been no further movement. We’re taking it a little bit at a time, make sure we are making the right decision.”

Last week the Titans were fined $225,000 with a further $75,000 and four competition points suspended for two years relating to a breach dating back to 2012.

However, CEO Graham Annesley denied the release of Kelly and Blair were anyway relating to the sanctions handed down.

“It is completely unrelated (to the salary cap fine),” Annesley told the Gold Coast Bulletin.

Titanic
20-10-14, 06:44 PM
$600k from the Raiders,,,there must be a $300k living away from home allowance attached to that figure...

If they sign him for $300k I'd be happy with that
100% correct ... but where does he fit? left centre? ... if we re-deploy Zillman out of position, like anywhere in 1st grade at all other than on the wing, then we are truly kidding.

Titan4Life
20-10-14, 07:34 PM
If Hoffman signs with us he must play fullback. I rate him above both Mead and Zillman. He is defensively strong and runs the ball back with impact and intent. Mead should be our second choice fullback but I would rather an international at the back. Hoffy would be great at centre but he would preform much better at FB. Mead is also an exceptionally good winger who has played his best footy there.

teke
20-10-14, 08:12 PM
I'd be stoked with Hoffy here cause it will mean Mead walks

Titan4Life
20-10-14, 08:18 PM
I don't see why people rate Mead over Hoffy. Here is from an article in 2013 about Hoffman:

There can be little doubt about the quality of Hoffman's running game. He made more tackle breaks than any other player in the NRL in the 2013 regular season (a bragging right that was Barba's the year before). He can also do the job in defence, ranking third in the league for try saves last season.

Hoffman crossed for 15 tries in 2012 – seven more than any other Bronco – while also leading the club for line breaks and ranking second (behind Kangaroos workhorse Corey Parker) for metres gained.

teke
20-10-14, 08:22 PM
Hoffy is an established fb in a better side, of course he's going to have better stats.

Mead is trying to become an established FB and I've told him many times it wont be for the Titans.

He should go forth and get his dream wherever he can, most prob in the UK.

Titan4Life
20-10-14, 08:26 PM
What player in their right mind would leave the big league to play in the UK? If Mead does want to stay in the NRL he will have to suck it up and play wing because no club needs him atm. Hoffman>Mead for fullback.

teke
20-10-14, 08:31 PM
What player in their right mind would leave the big league to play in the UK? If Mead does want to stay in the NRL he will have to suck it up and play wing because no club needs him atm. Hoffman>Mead for fullback.As I see what player wouldnt want to leave this mess of a club when you've been Zillman'd after getting 4 or 5 Dally M pts from 6 games, 4 MoM, PLayers players in a Rep. If you need more reasons, you can throw in more money, more fun, playing in a position you desire to improve at...shall i go on?

Scary words - He's not guaranteed to get FB if Titans got him....lol....why else would we chase him.

Zillman is one powerful dude

Hail Sezer
20-10-14, 09:03 PM
As I see what player wouldnt want to leave this mess of a club when you've been Zillman'd after getting 4 or 5 Dally M pts from 6 games, 4 MoM, PLayers players in a Rep. If you need more reasons, you can throw in more money, more fun, playing in a position you desire to improve at...shall i go on?

Scary words - He's not guaranteed to get FB if Titans got him....lol....why else would we chase him.

Zillman is one powerful dude

lol'd

Titan4Life
20-10-14, 09:08 PM
Zillman'd (verb) - the act of being ****ed over by you're coach for his bromance relationship with William Zillman

Mexican titan
20-10-14, 09:21 PM
I don't see why people rate Mead over Hoffy. Here is from an article in 2013 about Hoffman:

There can be little doubt about the quality of Hoffman's running game. He made more tackle breaks than any other player in the NRL in the 2013 regular season (a bragging right that was Barba's the year before). He can also do the job in defence, ranking third in the league for try saves last season.

Hoffman crossed for 15 tries in 2012 – seven more than any other Bronco – while also leading the club for line breaks and ranking second (behind Kangaroos workhorse Corey Parker) for metres gained.

Couldn't agree more. The infatuation some have with Mead as a FB, based on very little evidence, surprises me a bit. I would take a proven fullback over one that MIGHT be a good fullback any day.

Titan4Life
20-10-14, 09:24 PM
Couldn't agree more. The infatuation some have with Mead as a FB, based on very little evidence, surprises me a bit. I would take a proven fullback over one that MIGHT be a good fullback any day.

You are a smart man MT. My brain is burning from the crap I am hearing on FB about Mead. Saying he is better than Inglis and Slater is plain ridiculous. Mead is good but I prefer Hoffman every day of the week.

teke
20-10-14, 10:13 PM
Couldn't agree more. The infatuation some have with Mead as a FB, based on very little evidence, surprises me a bit. I would take a proven fullback over one that MIGHT be a good fullback any day.As would I, hence my stance on getting hoff or whoever and pushing Mead to further his career elsewhere

Titan4Life
20-10-14, 10:25 PM
As would I, hence my stance on getting hoff or whoever and pushing Mead to further his career elsewhere

Further his career in the UK hahahahaha :laugh: No one has ever done that

teke
20-10-14, 10:35 PM
Further his career in the UK hahahahaha :laugh: No one has ever done thatIt sure beats 10 plus yr Titan multiple spoon reciever

Titan4Life
20-10-14, 10:41 PM
It sure beats 10 plus yr Titan multiple spoon reciever

Confidence in the team.... I love it. I know it's not ideal but at least try to have some hope.

Titanic
20-10-14, 11:33 PM
Nah mate ... we need hookers and centres more than we need a fullback right now ... Hoffman doesn't bring enough to warrant the spend, imho ... and because of that I'd rather lash out on finding or re-signing some younger talent and having something up the sleeve for 2016 and beyond. I have to add that the Hunter's hooker rates a look (MOM against Tonga last weekend again).

Kevin Rablin
21-10-14, 07:52 AM

in 2012 nrl.com did an artical with stats saying hoffman was the worst (or least effective) fullback in the comp defensively

- - - Updated - - -

If Hoffman signs with us he must play fullback. I rate him above both Mead and Zillman. He is defensively strong and runs the ball back with impact and intent. Mead should be our second choice fullback but I would rather an international at the back. Hoffy would be great at centre but he would preform much better at FB. Mead is also an exceptionally good winger who has played his best footy there.

mead is an international, plays fb for png.

Kevin Rablin
21-10-14, 08:04 AM
in all honesty i dont think hoffman would be good for us. he would have to play fullback otherwise he would be in the same position he is in now, looking for a club to play fullback in. i dont think we really gain anything with him being here. his positive attributes, in my opinion, mead has. hoffman cant pass or kick, mead isnt a noted ballplayer either. both return the ball hard. i dont see what people see in hoffman that they dont see in mead. of course gthis is only my opinion though.

shamus
21-10-14, 06:40 PM
You are a smart man MT. My brain is burning from the crap I am hearing on FB about Mead. Saying he is better than Inglis and Slater is plain ridiculous. Mead is good but I prefer Hoffman every day of the week.

Wow!...Can you show the source that actually states that!

It's OK...I found your other post...yep...someone was on the wacky tobaccy

Titan4Life
21-10-14, 06:49 PM
Wow!...Can you show the source that actually states that!

It's OK...I found your other post...yep...someone was on the wacky tobaccy

I was absolutely shocked from what they said and embarrassed that them two morons are Titans fans. To compare an unproven fullback to two of the best (Slater may be past his best but still) fullbacks in the game is completely stupid.

Davis13
21-10-14, 09:32 PM
I like Hoffman but I think we owe it to meady to have a shot. Imo based on what we have seen from
him he could be something special for the Titans at fb (would love to see him
be a one club player) but we will see.

Mexican titan
21-10-14, 09:57 PM
I like Hoffman but I think we owe it to meady to have a shot. Imo based on what we have seen from
him he could be something special for the Titans at fb (would love to see him
be a one club player) but we will see.

I am sure Mead will get a shot. Whether he or Hoffman wins out, at least either can play another position. Of course we haven't sorted out Zilly who should not be the FB but also can't play anywhere else.

Davis13
21-10-14, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing zilly in more of a utility role off the
Bench.

Kevin Rablin
22-10-14, 07:53 AM
Bench.

For Burleigh?

Bayside Titan
22-10-14, 10:11 AM
For Burleigh?

That's where I was thinking;-)

- - - Updated - - -

For Burleigh?

That's where I was thinking;-)

TitansFan92
22-10-14, 10:49 AM
Bench.

Don't know what you have been smoking but I think you are going a bit loopy mate. I wouldn't even have him playing for Burleigh. I wouldn't wish him on any club. I would even go as far to say that I would pay his contract out just so he could piss off and play park footy because that is all he is good for.

karnage
23-10-14, 10:10 AM
I think the dilemma with the Hoffman v Mead argument is that Hoffman is probably a better fullback RIGHT NOW whereas Mead significantly more upside.

My reason for opposing the Hoffman signing is that I am a proponent for a full rebuild, which means giving Mead a proper chance at fullback so that we actually know what we have got and planning accordingly for 2016 onwards.

Titanic
23-10-14, 02:57 PM
With you there K ... no more desperation signings, just make a plan and follow it.

Bayside Titan
23-10-14, 05:30 PM
Sounds like that the Broncos will pay some money for him to go. So we might stand a chance.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the dilemma with the Hoffman v Mead argument is that Hoffman is probably a better fullback RIGHT NOW whereas Mead significantly more upside.

My reason for opposing the Hoffman signing is that I am a proponent for a full rebuild, which means giving Mead a proper chance at fullback so that we actually know what we have got and planning accordingly for 2016 onwards.

Agree 100%. Difficult thing to manage the player development and the expectations of the fans. As a fan I would like to see Hoffman here as I wonder what other players would consider signing with us if he was to sign with us? But agree like to see Mead developed into a good fullback.

Mexican titan
23-10-14, 08:40 PM
I would much rather Barba at fullback than either Hoff or Mead and now it seems that Brisbane will let him go, I reckon we should chase him.
However I know I am in the minority on here in relation to Barba so take it easy on me guys.:helpme:

Bayside Titan
23-10-14, 08:54 PM
I would much rather Barba at fullback than either Hoff or Mead and now it seems that Brisbane will let him go, I reckon we should chase him.
However I know I am in the minority on here in relation to Barba so take it easy on me guys.:helpme:

I'm not fussy. I'll take Hoffman or Barba.

teke
23-10-14, 09:51 PM
Barba's a front running Bully, great when he's got a team churning ahead but plays very lazy and i can't even remember the last time i saw a good game out of him at FB.

A very risky investment

DIEHARD
23-10-14, 11:20 PM
Barba really has dropped off the face of the earth since his move to the Broncos. Before that he was a legit superstar in my book.

TitansFan92
24-10-14, 12:47 AM
With the right coaching Barba would be great

Titan4Life
24-10-14, 08:22 AM
I'd take Hoffman over Barba any day. Barba only plays good when his forwards are doing most of the work for him (e.g Bulldogs 2012). He hasn't really done anything in the last 2 years so he is not worth it. On top of that he can only play fullback (not very good anymore) and five eighth, whereas Hoffman can go at fullback, centre, wing or five/eight. Hoffman is more versatile and also a better player than Barba.

Toads
24-10-14, 10:01 AM
After giving it more thought. I'm another one that would rather see the money that would be spent on marquee players, go towards building and bring up our own future star players through the ranks.

I know that ideal wouldn't enthuse too many fans in the short term. But it'd definitely be something to be proud of when the dividends star to pay off in a few years time.

I know I also get excited about the big names potentially coming to the Club. But in reality, I/we got to look at this rebuilding phase long term.

Jonathonbcode
24-10-14, 10:29 AM
I don't remember anyone saying that Mead was better then Slater, Inglis or Hayne..or someone in that 'elite' standing, so to speak.

Cartwright for whatever reason, sabotaged the team this year and put his 'boy' in to the fullback spot which was just an atrocity. Mead should at least get the first four to five games at fullback to prove himself..

Kevin Rablin
24-10-14, 01:33 PM
I'd take Hoffman over Barba any day. Barba only plays good when his forwards are doing most of the work for him (e.g Bulldogs 2012). He hasn't really done anything in the last 2 years so he is not worth it. On top of that he can only play fullback (not very good anymore) and five eighth, whereas Hoffman can go at fullback, centre, wing or five/eight. Hoffman is more versatile and also a better player than Barba.

Hoffman can't play 5/8. he can't pass or kick. As for the rest, yes you are right, anywhere else in the back line, while barb can only play 5/8 and fb. i am with toads on this one, would rather save the money for a big name strike player than buy another fill in player

Bayside Titan
24-11-14, 10:45 AM
Article in today GC Bully about Khan Ahwang saying that "Josh Hoffman will be unveiled for the first time in Titans colours today after his switch from Brisbane". It will be good to finally see him in the Titans colours. I hope it stimulates a thought or a conversation by fence sitting supporters to get to games next year or buy memberships.

Bayside Titan
24-11-14, 01:23 PM
https://twitter.com/gctitans/status/536690901762834432

Twitter link to see his photo. Could upload the pic on my iPhone.