PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Squad Signings and Rumours Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Mexican titan
23-11-14, 06:51 PM
We now have some good centre competition for next year after recruiting Crampton and Li. These two are both powerful centres that look very dangerous. Will be interesting to see who fills the other centre spot (one is Roberts). No favourites with Henry so we will have a battle between Crampton, Li, Tighe and Zillman for the other centre spot. Adding O'Neill would be good as well!

All that means to me is that we need a class centre. Roberts will hopefully improve but he was no start last season but granted, heaps of potential. As for the rest, Crampton and Li unproven, Tighe - very average, Zillman - why did you have bring his name up but waste of time.
I agree that it is great that Henry is giving opportunity to young blokes but one definitely needs to step up. When I see people post videos of players doing wonderful stuff in the under 20's that means nothing to me as it's a comp I do not rate. QCup success is a different matter so I am hoping Crampton is the man.

Titan4Life
23-11-14, 07:00 PM
All that means to me is that we need a class centre. Roberts will hopefully improve but he was no start last season but granted, heaps of potential. As for the rest, Crampton and Li unproven, Tighe - very average, Zillman - why did you have bring his name up but waste of time.
I agree that it is great that Henry is giving opportunity to young blokes but one definitely needs to step up. When I see people post videos of players doing wonderful stuff in the under 20's that means nothing to me as it's a comp I do not rate. QCup success is a different matter so I am hoping Crampton is the man.

Mate there aren't too many classy centres out there. What I'm hoping Henry can do is transform these lower name players (Crampton/Li) into classy and powerful centres.

Mexican titan
23-11-14, 08:46 PM
Mate there aren't too many classy centres out there. What I'm hoping Henry can do is transform these lower name players (Crampton/Li) into classy and powerful centres.

I hope he can as well. You are right in that there are very few classy centres available, at least that we know of.

Hail Sezer
24-11-14, 10:14 AM
DB has informed me that the GC Bulletin has reported that Ahwang is back in the frame, being offered a train and trial deal.

That means that we will have Ahwang, Li and Broadhurst all on a train and trial deal. Competition for a contract should be great.

rj62
25-11-14, 08:28 AM
Y
We now have some good centre competition for next year after recruiting Crampton and Li. These two are both powerful centres that look very dangerous. Will be interesting to see who fills the other centre spot (one is Roberts). No favourites with Henry so we will have a battle between Crampton, Li, Tighe and Zillman for the other centre spot. Adding O'Neill would be good as well!

The best thing about Henry is that he recruits lower grade players/young guns such as Moseley, Crampton, Li and Burr, and gives them a chance at first grade. All of the players I previously mentioned look good from the videos provided and hopefully we will see them get a go in the big league. I am a massive fan of seeing little name players succeed in first grade.

After the past years, for me anyway, it sums up the positive feeling I'm getting when I read things like 'No favourites with Henry'. Best breath of fresh air in years

Bayside Titan
25-11-14, 03:18 PM
Y
DB has informed me that the GC Bulletin has reported that Ahwang is back in the frame, being offered a train and trial deal.

That means that we will have Ahwang, Li and Broadhurst all on a train and trial deal. Competition for a contract should be great.

I wonder if now honouring Khans deal its an indication that we won't sign any other centres due to the money we may have saved on Srama going to the Roosters ????

Bayside Titan
25-11-14, 03:18 PM
Y

I wonder if now honouring Khans deal its an indication that we won't sign any other centres due to the money we may have saved on Srama going to the Roosters ????

Titan4Life
25-11-14, 05:20 PM
Y

After the past years, for me anyway, it sums up the positive feeling I'm getting when I read things like 'No favourites with Henry'. Best breath of fresh air in years

Agreed. I honestly believe this club is moving in a great direction and I'm excited to see what happens in the next few years. New coach/es, fresh exciting players like Hoffman and a clean slate is just what we need to keep on moving forward. Go Titans 2015 and beyond!

Titan4Life
25-11-14, 05:39 PM
GOLD COAST TITANS HONOUR CONTRACT WITH BURLEIGH BEARS FLYER KHAN AHWANG
25th Nov 2014
Travis Meyn

THE Gold Coast Titans have honoured a contract with Burleigh flyer Khan Ahwang, allowing him to begin pre-season training three weeks after the rest of the squad.

Ahwang was signed by ex-Titans coach John Cartwright but was then told he was not wanted by Neil Henry when he took up the post.

The decision left the Intrust Super Cup’s top points scorer of 2014 in limbo and unable to find another NRL deal.

After months of negotiating, the Titans and Ahwang came to an agreement for the Bears winger to complete pre-season training with the club in the hope of landing a full-time NRL contract for 2015. Ahwang had his first training run on Friday, where he picked up a hamstring strain.

His cousin, Josh Hoffman, will be unveiled for the first time in Titans colours today after his switch from Brisbane.

Ahwang’s manager Paul Hogan said the prolific points scorer was excited to be entering an NRL system. “He’ll be there training for the pre-season and then they’ll assess at the end of that period where he’s at,” Hogan said. “It gets him a pre-season and that’s an opportunity. “There were a couple of NRL clubs keen on him and the Titans knew that and Carty was keen on him so they jumped in and signed him. “We had some meetings with the Titans and came to this solution. “Khan was a little disappointed at the time because he thought this was his opportunity so he’s happy to get this chance now.”

Titans football manager Scott Clark said Ahwang had the chance to push for an appearance in the pre-season trial matches. Hoffman only recently completed his Four Nations commitments with the New Zealand team and is unlikely to begin with a full training load. Today will also see prop Luke Douglas begin his pre-season training with the club after his ASADA suspension expired over the weekend.

Titanic
25-11-14, 05:47 PM
Anybody rate him over the others vying for the positions ... that must be hard to come late to training with this sort of confidence-sapping media.

teke
25-11-14, 07:10 PM
He could be a real smokey and become teams number 1 centre.

ozynorts
25-11-14, 08:47 PM
And then picks up an injury on day one. Talk about giving the other guys a head start.

TITAN PETE
26-11-14, 08:13 AM
Anybody rate him over the others vying for the positions ... that must be hard to come late to training with this sort of confidence-sapping media.

I have seen Kahn play many matches & rate him highly in attack , Big strong & fast but can be suspect in Defence at times but I'm sure that could be worked on , the one thing for certain is if Kahn is in the side there is no way Sezar will be our goal kicker :thumbsup:

The team is looking very exciting now with so much competition for positions

DavidBouveng
26-11-14, 07:33 PM
someone else mentioned that he was a better goal kicker...

is he really that good to knock out Sezer? Sezer is top handful in NRL i would say.

He must be dynamite. if he at least has some raw talent and ability to score, i will be happy enough. We let in tries no matter who is out there, might as well ave someone who can grab some back for us also.

lonegull
26-11-14, 07:44 PM
Ahwang isn't only a great goal kicker, you should see how far he can punt and drop kick the ball, I watched in amazement at him in a q cup for Burleigh drop kicks the ball 60 to 70 metres and his kicks for touch well if you are in your own twenty expect to be taking the tap in the oppositions 20 as he has got one of the longest drop punts I have witnessed

ozynorts
27-11-14, 08:07 AM
Ahwang isn't only a great goal kicker, you should see how far he can punt and drop kick the ball, I watched in amazement at him in a q cup for Burleigh drop kicks the ball 60 to 70 metres and his kicks for touch well if you are in your own twenty expect to be taking the tap in the oppositions 20 as he has got one of the longest drop punts I have witnessed

That is interesting. I find it frustrating that players don't seem to try and gain distance with kicks to touch. I see teams in their own half take kicks that only gain 20m..... ffs kick it long and give yourself a chance.

Hail Sezer
27-11-14, 08:49 AM
Ahwang's kicking game would rival Pat Richards. If he can iron out his defensive deficiencies, he will be a fair smokey for left centre. Can sniff out an intercept too.

I would not play Khan on the wing though..his form last season dropped and he found it hard to get in to the game when he was shifted there last season

Titanic
27-11-14, 11:03 AM
That is interesting. I find it frustrating that players don't seem to try and gain distance with kicks to touch. I see teams in their own half take kicks that only gain 20m..... ffs kick it long and give yourself a chance.
I'll miss Bailey's quick taps .... not!

Ahwang's kicking game would rival Pat Richards. If he can iron out his defensive deficiencies, he will be a fair smokey for left centre. Can sniff out an intercept too.

I would not play Khan on the wing though..his form last season dropped and he found it hard to get in to the game when he was shifted there last season
I think he'll play where the coach tells him to make the top grade but I get your point, maybe his attitude is what put them off in the first place.

Titan4Life
27-11-14, 05:55 PM
@gc_anthony Any more Titans signings? Justin O'Neil still a chance? Also when will major sponsor be announced? #asklurk

The Lurker: O'Neill a chance, yes… and major sponsor before new year - hopefully

Bayside Titan
27-11-14, 06:19 PM
IMO I would be happy for Khan and Davin Crampton to duel it out all year in the centre spot. Let Roberts have one centre spot.

Titan4Life
27-11-14, 06:50 PM
What about O'Neill? Would he be in anyone's top 17 if we signed him. I think he is a good player that just dropped in form last year (mainly due to injury).

Titan4Life
27-11-14, 07:02 PM
IMO I would be happy for Khan and Davin Crampton to duel it out all year in the centre spot. Let Roberts have one centre spot.

Yes I agree. Hopefully Henry can develop their games and make them capable first grade centres.

teke
27-11-14, 07:06 PM
Oneil is decent, I'd only have him on the wing

Titan4Life
27-11-14, 07:12 PM
Oneil is decent, I'd only have him on the wing

I would put him centre. Don deserves to be one winger as he was one of our better players last year and Mead locks down the other spot.

1. Hoffman
2. Don
3. O'Neil/Crampton/Ahwang
4. Roberts
5. Mead

Bayside Titan
27-11-14, 09:22 PM
What about O'Neill? Would he be in anyone's top 17 if we signed him. I think he is a good player that just dropped in form last year (mainly due to injury).

For me ONeil gets the starting centre spot but Crampton and Awhang pushing for his spot.

Mexican titan
27-11-14, 10:04 PM
For me ONeil gets the starting centre spot but Crampton and Awhang pushing for his spot.

I agree. But I still think if a class centre was available then grab him, although that is not likely now. Too many question marks over all of them, although I hope Roberts will benefit from a new coach (as I hope all of the other players in the squad do). Roberts speed and strength are huge assets but his sideways running and defence need fixing in my book.

teke
28-11-14, 04:52 AM
I would put him centre. Don deserves to be one winger as he was one of our better players last year and Mead locks down the other spot.

1. Hoffman
2. Don
3. O'Neil/Crampton/Ahwang
4. Roberts
5. MeadYou happen to see Oneils short run at centre for the Storm? Steve Michaels had more clue than him in that position, i think Michaels was more physical to.

Id only have Justin on the wing.

JunctionBlock
29-11-14, 03:07 PM
Well that was an interesting read

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/titans-clash-centre-spots/

DIEHARD
29-11-14, 03:34 PM
I really hope we see as much of Don as possible in 2015.

Titan4Life
02-12-14, 08:00 PM
@NRLAgent: BREAKING: Trent Merrin has agreed to terms with the Gold Coast Titans for 2016. Being near the beach a big kicker. Announced next week

GUYS BEFORE ANYONE GETS TOO EXCITED (WINK WINK) I AM FAIRLY SURE THIS RUMOUR IS BULLCRAP, ESPECIALLY AFTER THIS NEXT TWEET

@NRLAgent: Merrin's deal with the Titans is believed to be a club record $900,000/season. Pricey...but CAN play.

amaline
02-12-14, 08:06 PM
The news said he knocked back a 3 year, 2$ M deal with the dragons.

Titan4Life
02-12-14, 08:09 PM
@NRLAgent: @gc_anthony the $900,000 includes 3rd party no one silly enough to use that much cap.

- - - Updated - - -

The news said he knocked back a 3 year, 2$ M deal with the dragons.

Yeah I heard that today. I honestly don't think he's worth $600,000 a season. No forwards should be worth that besides maybe Matt Scott.

Hail Sezer
02-12-14, 09:12 PM
That guy literally makes stuff up for a laugh

He also posted that Brookes and Moses were leaving the tigers today

Titan4Life
02-12-14, 09:16 PM
That guy literally makes stuff up for a laugh

He also posted that Brookes and Moses were leaving the tigers today

Yeah thought so. We may be a silly club at times but we wouldn't offer someone like Trent Merrin $900,000 (or whatever). I think Henry realises we need halves and centres, not forwards. Besides why would he announce a deal for 2016 next week?

Bayside Titan
02-12-14, 11:35 PM
@NRLAgent: BREAKING: Trent Merrin has agreed to terms with the Gold Coast Titans for 2016. Being near the beach a big kicker. Announced next week

GUYS BEFORE ANYONE GETS TOO EXCITED (WINK WINK) I AM FAIRLY SURE THIS RUMOUR IS BULLCRAP, ESPECIALLY AFTER THIS NEXT TWEET

@NRLAgent: Merrin's deal with the Titans is believed to be a club record $900,000/season. Pricey...but CAN play.

Only way I see that this happens is that the whispers about Bird going else where in 2016 come true. from memory Bird is on around $500k and contracted until the end of 2017. So they could use that cash and top it up a bit.

But agree that $900k is way too much for a second rower. Also goes against the recruitment strategy to date for Neil Henry of recruiting Qld players .

- - - Updated - - -

mup23
03-12-14, 12:05 AM
I can confirm @NRLAgent is 100% a joke account

ozynorts
04-12-14, 08:26 AM
Foran wants his contract for 2016 sorted before 2015 kicks off........ I hope we are at least in discussions with him. Not sure we have the money but we need to be at the table.

teke
11-12-14, 03:53 AM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-roster-rater-assessment-of-each-clubs-top-25-players-with-ratings-from-1-16/story-fn2mcuj6-1227150736580

:laugh:

Mr Stupid
11-12-14, 09:09 AM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-roster-rater-assessment-of-each-clubs-top-25-players-with-ratings-from-1-16/story-fn2mcuj6-1227150736580

The wonderful thing about the NRL comp is that on game day you can throw a blanket over these squads and any one of them is capable of beating another. This is an off season, academic excercise but we know these ratings rarely reflect what will actually happen. Underdog status never bothers me.

Titanic
11-12-14, 10:53 AM
A slightly underdone but fair assessment.

Titan4Life
11-12-14, 11:00 AM

How we are rated the worst squad is beyond me. A team with Hoffman (international), Myles and Bird (internationals + origin reps), Taylor (origin rep) and plenty of other potential stars should not be the 16th rated squad. Can't wait until we prove them wrong in 2015.

Mexican titan
11-12-14, 09:29 PM
"Aiden Sezer, an elite half in the making" it said. Well after 53 games it is taking some time.
When I saw the author had us at 16th I thought it was rubbish but then when you read about the other sides, it is hard to see us getting past most of them. My hopes and expectations are for better but it just highlights how many of the newer blokes and juniors will need to step up otherwise the cleanout at the end of 2015 will need to be savage.

Titanic
12-12-14, 11:17 AM
Our internationals are not pivotal ... two slogging 3-games-a-year forwards and a fringe fullback ... plus the rest of our team reads like a used car lot brochure with a few wannabe's thrown in = bottom quarter of the table.

However, the future looks a lot more rosie and that's where we should be focusing our interest and efforts.

Supergoose
12-12-14, 09:10 PM
We need the likes of James and Ridge to go to the next level and Zillman or another centre candidate to find something they haven't yet shown us for us to be competitive. Throw in Sezer and Mortimer to be a whole lot more consistent and Moseley to push Falloon back to the bench. There's a lot that needs to click, let's hope Henry can mould them into a team that plays with a lot of heart and can push every team.

gotitans101_
15-12-14, 02:03 PM
How we are rated the worst squad is beyond me. A team with Hoffman (international), Myles and Bird (internationals + origin reps), Taylor (origin rep) and plenty of other potential stars should not be the 16th rated squad. Can't wait until we prove them wrong in 2015.

lol what a rubbish article. Bulldogs #1? Broncos #4? Really? And we're behind rubble like the Raiders and Eels without Hayne? This Ben Glover fella is clueless.

"Aiden Sezer, an elite half in the making" it said.

:laugh::laugh:

karnage
15-12-14, 03:51 PM
Where'd we finish last year boys?? We recruited one player for 2015 - a player who couldn't nail down his preferred spot at his previous club.

You talk about Bird and Myles as internationals but they never, ever play like they're internationals in Titans colours.

We may not be 16th but we are definitely not any better than 14th. The Raiders and Dragons are the only teams that we may finish in front of next season.

Titan4Life
15-12-14, 03:56 PM
Where'd we finish last year boys?? We recruited one player for 2015 - a player who couldn't nail down his preferred spot at his previous club.

You talk about Bird and Myles as internationals but they never, ever play like they're internationals in Titans colours.

We may not be 16th but we are definitely not any better than 14th. The Raiders and Dragons are the only teams that we may finish in front of next season.

We have signed Hoffman, Burr, Moseley etc. One of those players is a proven international while the other two are promising juniors that have plenty of talent.

Does it occur to you that maybe they suffered from Cartwright's poor coaching style. Give them a chance next year.

I see us finishing 12th which leaves us in front of Tigers, Dragons, Raiders and Eels. They all have average rosters too.

patskE
15-12-14, 04:22 PM
so looks like we need a new lock...

Titan4Life
15-12-14, 04:25 PM
I wonder if we are now going to try and recruit another forward or if we are just sticking with what we've got.

patskE
15-12-14, 04:33 PM
i hear steve micheals can play lock

K2G
15-12-14, 04:35 PM
i hear steve micheals can play lock

Apparently zillman is a supreme athlete. I'm sure he would dominate at lock.

Edit: I think the Paul carter news will be massive for Ben Ridge's chances of getting a regular starting spot in the side, one way or another. I think its between him, bird and myles form the 13 in round 1. My prefference would be Bird.

teke
15-12-14, 06:10 PM
Bird needs to be in the middle of the park. That is one of the most crucial things Titans need next yr.

JunctionBlock
15-12-14, 07:24 PM
You would hope that Bird gets lock. It's his preferred position in any case. I hope that it opens up a chance for Srama to get a look in at hooker.

karnage
15-12-14, 09:32 PM
We have signed Hoffman, Burr, Moseley etc. One of those players is a proven international while the other two are promising juniors that have plenty of talent.

Does it occur to you that maybe they suffered from Cartwright's poor coaching style. Give them a chance next year.

I see us finishing 12th which leaves us in front of Tigers, Dragons, Raiders and Eels. They all have average rosters too.

I wrote the last sentence wrong - it was meant to say that others will see only those teams as worse, sort of justifying the authors opinion. I'm actually optimistic about next year. Something I haven't been for a very long time.

I'm not too worried about Carter being sacked either, we are stil rebuilding and a strong culture of accountability is more important than short term success.

I've got a bit to say about our draw for next season but I'll start a different thread.

TITAN PETE
15-12-14, 09:56 PM
so looks like we need a new lock...

Ben Ridge will start the new year with a full pre season & injury free potential to be a future Captain of the club , the lock jersey was going to be his even if Carter was in the squad

Hail Sezer
15-12-14, 10:02 PM
Ben Ridge will start the new year with a full pre season & injury free potential to be a future Captain of the club , the lock jersey was going to be his even if Carter was in the squad

He'll need to start taking the player profiles on the website seriously first

He wrote that the area of his game he most wants to improve in 2015 is his kicking game :laugh:

Look here:
http://www.titans.com.au/team/profiles/ben-ridge.html

Titan4Life
15-12-14, 10:02 PM
We have two possible forward packs IMO.

OPTION 1 -
8. Douglas
10. James
11. Myles
12. Taylor
13. Bird

OR

OPTION 2 -
8. Douglas
10. Myles
11. Taylor
12. Bird
13. Ridge

I think option 1 would be the best choice. Bird should play 80 mins, Taylor and Myles can be rotated around with Burr and Ridge, James and Douglas can sub with Ioane/White and Hala.

Hail Sezer
15-12-14, 10:04 PM
We have two possible forward packs IMO.

OPTION 1 -
8. Douglas
10. James
11. Myles
12. Taylor
13. Bird

OR

OPTION 2 -
8. Douglas
10. Myles
11. Bird
12. Taylor
13. Ridge

Swap Taylor and Bird in option 2

I agree that option 1 looks the best

Titan4Life
15-12-14, 10:07 PM
Swap Taylor and Bird in option 2

Done. Will that put Taylor on the right edge?

nimud
16-12-14, 02:01 PM

Ben Ridge is the next Will Mathews.

TITAN PETE
16-12-14, 09:41 PM
Ben Ridge is the next Will Mathews.

What playing 1st grade for the Dragons

teke
16-12-14, 10:12 PM
Burr is gonna kick someone out before the end of the yr and keep it til he retires.

Ridge isn't going lock down any spot imo

Hail Sezer
17-12-14, 08:33 AM
Congratulations to Kane Elgey and Kierran Moseley who were yesterday both named in the Emerging Maroons squad for 2015. This is the junior version of the emerging Origin squad

Full squad is here:

Emerging Maroons Squad 2015

(QAS – January 15-18)

Jai Arrow – Brisbane Broncos
Luke Bateman – Canberra Raiders
Jordan Drew – Brisbane Broncos
Jayden Nikorima – Brisbane Broncos
Joe Ofahengaue – Brisbane Broncos
Marion Seve – Wests Tigers
Coen Hess – North Queensland Cowboys
Brenko Lee – Canberra Raiders
Ashley Taylor – Brisbane Broncos
Lindsay Collins – Brisbane Broncos
Patrick Kaufusi – North Queensland Cowboys / Northern Pride
Nene MacDonald – Sydney Roosters
Lloyd Perrett – Canterbury Bulldogs
Kierran Moseley – Gold Coast Titans
Cameron Munster – Melbourne Storm / Easts Tigers
Corey Oates – Brisbane Broncos
Brendan Elliot – Sydney Roosters
Patrick Mago – Canberra Raiders
Kane Elgey – Gold Coast Titans
Kyle Feldt – North Queensland Cowboys / Northern Pride
Ethan Lowe – North Queensland Cowboys / Northern Pride
Shaun Nona – Melbourne Storm
Javid Bowen – North Queensland Cowboys / Northern Pride
Hymel Hunt – Melbourne Storm / Easts Tigers
Sam Hoare – North Queensland Cowboys / Mackay Cutters
Blake Leary – Manly Sea Eagles

nimud
17-12-14, 08:38 AM
What playing 1st grade for the Dragons

Lot's of promise, but will get let go.

Titan4Life
17-12-14, 04:00 PM
Good news everybody :)

Titans star Aidan Sezer wants to lead and secure new contract
Nathan Ryan FOX SPORTS
December 17, 2014 2:37PM

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2014/12/17/1227159/445525-6f0bc2c0-859b-11e4-bf87-d1f7005bd55e.jpg

GOLD Coast five-eighth Aidan Sezer has lofty expectations for 2015 – declaring his desire to become a leader of the team and repay the faith shown by the club in a bid to secure a new deal.

The 23-year-old is off contract at the end of 2015 and is keen to prove he can play a big part in delivering regular finals campaigns to a success starved Titans fanbase.

Sezer played 13 games this year, having missed half the season with a torn pectoral muscle. In 2013 he played 22 games, following his 18 in his rookie 2012 season.

Despite speculation the Sydney boy is homesick - and links with a move to the Roosters - the playmaker says he is keen to extend his tenure at the club and learn under new coach Neil Henry.

“I was out for a long time last year, which was pretty disappointing from my behalf,” Sezer told foxsports.com.au.

“I’m happy at the Gold Coast. I’ve been here for a few years now and with Neil (Henry) coming on board I’m enjoying it a hell of a lot more.

“You always owe the club – they are the ones who have been loyal to you and gave you your start.

“You always want to put your best foot forward each week. I’m pretty passionate about the club so I want to see us do the best we can and pay back our fans who have been pretty loyal.”

An Indigenous All Stars representative, Sezer has had a horror run with injuries.

Prior to his NRL debut in round seven of 2012 he had a knee reconstruction while playing in the Holden Cup for the Bulldogs.

After tearing his pectoral off the bone against Brisbane in round 10, Sezer says it’s time he stands up.

“This will be my fourth season now so I think it’s about time I step up and become a leader,” he said.

“That’s something I’m striving to do and perform to my ability each week like I know I can and I’m pretty sure Neil and the coaching staff will get that out of us.”

With Henry now at the helm following the resignation of John Cartwright, Sezer says the former Cowboys and Raiders mentor has wasted little time putting the entire roster on notice.

“It’s been pretty exciting,” he said of the change.

“When a coach is there for a long time things can get pretty comfortable and players can get comfortable.

“Neil has come in and put everyone on edge. All the boys know we need to work hard for each other and if we don’t we won’t be part of the squad… It’s going to be good for us.”

Having lost a heap of experience with the likes of Luke Bailey, Ashley Harrison, Mark Minichiello and Albert Kelly out the exit door at the end of the 2014 season, the Titans have recruited well to fill the void.

One of their high-profile recruits is former Brisbane fullback Josh Hoffman but Sezer admits he is unsure whether Hoffman, speedster David Mead or utility William Zillman will wear the no. 1 next season.

“Hoffy is a great buy for us,” Sezer said.

“He is a strong ball runner and has played Test footy – he is going to add a lot to our squad and if he plays fullback it will be good for us halves.

“We’re not looking too far ahead. We have William Zillman who is one of our co-captains and Meady put his hand up last year and performed well.

“He played about six matches (at fullback) and got about four man of the matches.”

TITAN PETE
17-12-14, 04:04 PM
Great news just sign him up now before the new season begins so the only thing he needs to worry about is playing Footy .... but not on a 5 year deal :rolleyes:

Titan4Life
17-12-14, 04:12 PM
Great news just sign him up now before the new season begins so the only thing he needs to worry about is playing Footy .... but not on a 5 year deal :rolleyes:

Yeah I really hope we resign him. I feel like he will improve greatly under Henry/Matterson and he will become a leader for us. I say secure him to a 2 or 3 year deal. We don't want a repeat of Zillman :)

- - - Updated - - -

Wait a minute... "William Zillman who is one of our co-captains now."

Is that a mix up by Sezer or is he our new vice-captain replacing Bird?

ozynorts
17-12-14, 04:22 PM
Zillman was vc this last season.

Mexican titan
17-12-14, 04:26 PM
Yeah I really hope we resign him. I feel like he will improve greatly under Henry/Matterson and he will become a leader for us. I say secure him to a 2 or 3 year deal. We don't want a repeat of Zillman :)

- - - Updated - - -

Wait a minute... "William Zillman who is one of our co-captains now."

The last sentence also threw me - it is not written well but he I think he means that Meady was man of the match at fullback in 4 out of 6 appearances. He is obviously no judge.
Anyway, in relation to contracting him beyond 2015 I guess we need to lock him up but I would do two years tops. I am giving him the benefit of needing a decent coach for him to kick on but I have this nagging suspicion that he is too slow. The trouble is that if he fails to kick on next year he should be punted and the contract extension will have been a waste of money. However I would hate to see him not secured and then he go and succeed somewhere else. I would prefer to see how he goes in the first 6 or so matches next season but commercially that will be too late for him.
So, in summary two years but try to avoid paying top dollar.

DavidBouveng
17-12-14, 09:32 PM
Can't be assed quoting, but his first comment about enjoying it a hell of a lot more with Neil Henry is a fairly big statement.

Geeman
20-12-14, 02:34 PM
O'neill has signed a 2 year deal with the cowboys, so I guess that answers the question about him...
http://www.nrl.com/justin-oneill-signs-with-cowboys/tabid/10874/newsid/83333/default.aspx?cid=NRL_HP_Hero

amaline
20-12-14, 02:34 PM
O'Neil signed with the Cowboys.
http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/cowboys-sign-justin-oneill/

So close....

Titan4Life
20-12-14, 02:37 PM
Damn he could have been a real good centre option for us. Oh well guess we will have to work with what we have got. Roberts on one edge with Crampton/Don/Zillman/? fighting it out for the other spot.

Titanic
20-12-14, 02:42 PM
The PNG Hunters hooker Puaru has taken a trial offer from Souths … we certainly missed a chance there (but I didn't think too much of Teteh though).

DavidBouveng
20-12-14, 03:54 PM
T4L,

i just noticed your signature / banner.... should i be worried about Sezer getting on the drink and causing us issues? the other three are the booze hounds keeping us in the papers for negative reasons

Titan4Life
20-12-14, 04:06 PM
T4L,

i just noticed your signature / banner.... should i be worried about Sezer getting on the drink and causing us issues? the other three are the booze hounds keeping us in the papers for negative reasons

Hahaha I just noticed that. Maybe I should choose a new sig to stop Sezer from getting in strife when drinking :laugh:

DavidBouveng
20-12-14, 08:30 PM
as for O'neil, i think he would be a good signing, but we arent really at a point where he is going to help us. We are at the bottom and in a couple of years when we are nearing our best, we can cherry pick some players to fill the gaps in certain roles. right now hed be wasted.

for the cowboys, its a great signing. he comes into an established system, with a high functioning team that should be top 4. He adds depth and a bit of class without anyone expecting miracles from him. he can just be a high quality finisher.

Titan4Life
21-12-14, 02:00 PM
Interesting... what does everyone think?

Matai to Titans
Gold Coast are closing in on Manly centre Steve Matai for 2016 despite the Sea Eagles offering him a two-year contract extension. The Titans are one of three clubs to have expressed interest in the veteran centre, who is off contract at the Sea Eagles at the end of next year. Matai's future at Manly was up in the air this year – there was speculation he would be heading home to New Zealand, but it looked like he would ink a new deal to finish his career a one-club man. The Sea Eagles could battle to keep Matai as they look to retain halves Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/eels-begin-to-dream-of-a-life-after-jarryd-hayne-20141220-12bise.html

Hail Sezer
21-12-14, 02:17 PM
Interesting... what does everyone think?

Matai to Titans
Gold Coast are closing in on Manly centre Steve Matai for 2016 despite the Sea Eagles offering him a two-year contract extension. The Titans are one of three clubs to have expressed interest in the veteran centre, who is off contract at the Sea Eagles at the end of next year. Matai's future at Manly was up in the air this year – there was speculation he would be heading home to New Zealand, but it looked like he would ink a new deal to finish his career a one-club man. The Sea Eagles could battle to keep Matai as they look to retain halves Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/eels-begin-to-dream-of-a-life-after-jarryd-hayne-20141220-12bise.html

Great player but old and injury prone. Not what we need IMO

K2G
21-12-14, 02:44 PM
Not to say he doesn't still have good footy in him, but he is towards the back end of his career, is injury prone and isn't the kind of talent I see living up to or exceeding the standard he's set at Manly. Not the most likeable bloke either, but i suppose that's neither here nor there.

Plenty of better options off contract in 2016.

Titan4Life
21-12-14, 02:50 PM
Yeah I think we should wait until younger and better options become available. We need a centre with 5+ years left in him to build combinations, not just a quick fix. That being said, I wouldn't be disappointed if Henry signed him as he is in the top 5 centres in the game. His injuries and age do worry me though.

Titan4Life
22-12-14, 10:38 AM
TITANS SET TO SIGN COWBOY

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Joel+Riethmuller+l636vrc80Rsm.jpg

Titans coach Neil Henry could be set to sign one of his old favourites – Cowboys back-rower Joel Riethmuller. It was Henry who brought Riethmuller into the NRL in 2011 and the veteran coach has always had a high opinion of the Italian Test forward.

Riethmuller was out of favour at the Cowboys last year – he managed just five NRL games and spent much of his time at the Northern Pride. The Titans have some money to spend in the salary cap following the sacking of talented hooker Paul Carter after a second DUI. The former Ipswich forward has played all of his football at lock or second row but could even slot in at hooker at times in matches.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/moles-monday-scoops-29/

*Credit goes to RenegadeGC for finding the info. Just thought I'd put it in an appropriate thread

Titanic
22-12-14, 12:19 PM
I would be quite happy without either Matai or Riethmuller tbh.

Titan4Life
22-12-14, 12:26 PM
They both bring experience to an inexperienced squad which is good. The only issues are their age and Matai's injuries. However, stats show Matai still has a lot of good footy left in him which could outweigh the negatives.

Riethmuller is a hard working player and you'd have to think his salary would be pretty low. A cheap buy that does his job on the field. I think we should sign him.

So:

Matai - maybe, depending on the amount of salary he requests (don't pay extreme overs)

Riethmuller - yes

Mexican titan
22-12-14, 01:21 PM
They both bring experience to an inexperienced squad which is good. The only issues are their age and Matai's injuries. However, stats show Matai still has a lot of good footy left in him which could outweigh the negatives.

Riethmuller is a hard working player and you'd have to think his salary would be pretty low. A cheap buy that does his job on the field. I think we should sign him.

So:

Matai - maybe, depending on the amount of salary he requests (don't pay extreme overs)

Riethmuller - yes

Generally agree. Reithmuller has never done anything to make me sit up and think we should grab him but at the right price, yeah why not.
Matai - obviously I hope he stays at Manly but I reckon he would be a great buy at the right price. I think he is a cheap shot merchant and has his report card marked by the refs but he plays hard and is a class centre. I know people think he is injury prone especially that issue he has where he seems to injure his shoulder/neck in just about every game he plays but he rarely goes off and doesn't miss many games (other than suspension!).

Titan4Life
22-12-14, 01:31 PM
Generally agree. Reithmuller has never done anything to make me sit up and think we should grab him but at the right price, yeah why not.
Matai - obviously I hope he stays at Manly but I reckon he would be a great buy at the right price. I think he is a cheap shot merchant and has his report card marked by the refs but he plays hard and is a class centre. I know people think he is injury prone especially that issue he has where he seems to injure his shoulder/neck in just about every game he plays but he rarely goes off and doesn't miss many games (other than suspension!).

Just looked up and you are completely right about Matai regarding his injuries. Many people like me say he is always injured when in fact he rarely misses a game. He might go down injured but he usually gets up and plays on. Here are his stats from last year. Notice the amount of games he played.

2014 STATS:
Games played - 26 (OBVIOUSLY MEANS HE MISSED 1 GAME OR SO)
Tries - 13
Try assists - 9
Run metres - 2706m
Linebreaks - 18
Tackles - 168

I'm gonna stick to my statement and say we should target Matai seriously as he still has a lot of good footy in him and possibly 3 years left. However, we shouldn't pay overs for him (I wouldn't pay more than $500,000 a year for him).

DavidBouveng
22-12-14, 11:08 PM

there are only a few players i have ever really disliked, and Matai was one. he was such a cheap shotter as you said. and overly aggressive almost unnecessarily so. like past the normal aggression you need and into crazy town...

but over the last few years, he has toned it down and found a much better balance. He has a pretty bad rep and wont shake it (a bit like 'Dave Taylor is lazy and inconsistent' me thinks), but if anyone actually watched him closely and disregarded his past, he is an impressive player who knows when to run, when to pass and is a great defender. It hurts me to say, but i actually have a fair bit of respect for what he does.

That being said, he would be a bit old perhaps for 2016 to be really bothering with in my opinion, but if he came aboard for the right price i could live with it.

Titan4Life
23-12-14, 02:10 PM
This was posted on a FB page '2015 NRL Premiership Season':

More rumours floating from Manly Warringah Sea Eagles as Kieran Foran may exit the club it seems almost certain that star halfback Daly Cherry-Evans who has represented Australia and Queensland could follow in his footsteps with Gold Coast Titans and Parramatta Eels the front runners to sign him up.

Says we are the frontrunners to sign DCE (as well as Parra). However, I'm not getting my hopes up yet. This page had no source to back this info so I won't believe it until I see it. Would be extremely happy if it came true just not trusting this page's credibility.

K2G
23-12-14, 02:31 PM
This was posted on a FB page '2015 NRL Premiership Season':

More rumours floating from Manly Warringah Sea Eagles as Kieran Foran may exit the club it seems almost certain that star halfback Daly Cherry-Evans who has represented Australia and Queensland could follow in his footsteps with Gold Coast Titans and Parramatta Eels the front runners to sign him up.

Says we are the frontrunners to sign DCE (as well as Parra). However, I'm not getting my hopes up yet. This page had no source to back this info so I won't believe it until I see it. Would be extremely happy if it came true just not trusting this page's credibility.

I can't see DCE leaving Manly ... but if he does, you wouldn't think he'd go the club where Watmough is.

Bayside Titan
23-12-14, 02:51 PM
DCE would be the player that Titans need on and off the Field, more so off the field. He would bring in a bunch of sponsors and corporate interests as well. I think from memory that DCE wants the contract stuff sorted before the season starts. So not long to wait now.

ozynorts
23-12-14, 02:59 PM
DCE would be the player that Titans need on and off the Field, more so off the field. He would bring in a bunch of sponsors and corporate interests as well. I think from memory that DCE wants the contract stuff sorted before the season starts. So not long to wait now.

And a player of his quality makes it easier to attract other quality players to the team.

Bayside Titan
23-12-14, 05:08 PM
And a player of his quality makes it easier to attract other quality players to the team.

Absolutely!! Other player would think long and hard if a player of his caliber was with the Titans.

Geeman
24-12-14, 06:11 PM
Agree mostly with what you are saying, although I have never really disliked Matai - I think the outlawing of the shouldercharge has done wonders for his game, now he seems to focus more on his general gameplay rather than putting on the biggest hits he can...

Titan4Life
29-12-14, 08:44 PM
@NRLDD : "@GCTitans set to announce the signing of Eddy Pettybourne for 2015"

Mexican titan
29-12-14, 09:47 PM
@NRLDD : "@GCTitans set to announce the signing of Eddy Pettybourne for 2015"

After leaving Souths only stayed one year at the Tigers,playing 12 games. Then went to Wigan and has left there after one year of a two year contract for personal reasons.
Seems a bit unsettled to me and he never has struck me as being anything more than a very average player.

TITAN PETE
30-12-14, 07:37 AM
I used to think he was going to be something special but now I think he Will bolster the Bears forward pack for 15'

Titanic
30-12-14, 11:05 AM
At least he doesn't play centre too ... duh, sorry, Cartwright has gone.

Titanic Believer
30-12-14, 01:22 PM
If we sign Pettybourne he will just add to a big list of question marks for 2015. These include new young players, players with past and present issues, players who have had injury troubles and players who have yet to show their early potential. It shapes to be an interesting year. If a few of them get their act together we may be competitive if not look out wooden spoon. I can't wait for the trials.

DavidBouveng
30-12-14, 01:46 PM
i thought he was awesome as a young forward at souths. he was an animal ripping in with great enthusiasm.

should have stepped up by now if he was going to be really good, but maybe he Henry could get it happening. have been many worse signings.

teke
30-12-14, 10:27 PM
Good signing, consolidating 14th position

Titan4Life
31-12-14, 01:26 PM
Whispers getting louder. Looks like it will be official soon:

@RLW_Mole: "BREAKING Strong mail in San Francisco that Eddy Pettybourne is off to @GCTitans in 2015 #SCOOP"

@RugbyLeagueNews: "Former Rabbitohs & Tigers forward Eddy Pettybourne is set to join Gold Coast Titans for season 2015"

DB I totally agree. I am interested to see what Henry can do to improve him. He has shown potential the last few years so hopefully Henry can break the barrier.

On another note: I wonder what has happened to the Riethmuller rumour. Anyone heard anything?

Bayside Titan
31-12-14, 02:02 PM
Whispers getting louder. Looks like it will be official soon:

@RLW_Mole: "BREAKING Strong mail in San Francisco that Eddy Pettybourne is off to @GCTitans in 2015 #SCOOP"

@RugbyLeagueNews: "Former Rabbitohs & Tigers forward Eddy Pettybourne is set to join Gold Coast Titans for season 2015"

DB I totally agree. I am interested to see what Henry can do to improve him. He has shown potential the last few years so hopefully Henry can break the barrier.

On another note: I wonder what has happened to the Riethmuller rumour. Anyone heard anything?

If he does sign it could be that Henry is cementing the lower end of the cap for us. Abit of depth.

Titan4Life
31-12-14, 02:09 PM
If he does sign it could be that Henry is cementing the lower end of the cap for us. Abit of depth.

It is good we are getting some depth in the forwards. After losing Carter, Bailey, Harro, Mini etc we were looking shaky there but now with Pettybourne, Burr, Robinson and maybe Riethmuller we are starting to get some handy competition for the forwards. None of the players I mentioned are world beaters but they show a lot of potential and I have faith Henry can help them improve their games.

Henry has history of being able to make lower name players a big part of the team. Let's hope he can do it for us as well. Bring on 2015 :thumbsup:

Titanic
31-12-14, 07:04 PM
The thing I have liked about Pettyborune previously is that he stands deep and hits the line hard ... perhaps our forwards can take a lesson from that [enter Myles name here in particular].

Titan4Life
31-12-14, 07:08 PM
The thing I have liked about Pettyborune previously is that he stands deep and hits the line hard ... perhaps our forwards can take a lesson from that [enter Myles name here in particular].

I barely remember him but from what I do remember he can bend the line and is quite solid in defence. Like you said, he runs onto the ball which gives him extra force in the run. Not a world beater but above average definitely.

Mexican titan
31-12-14, 08:51 PM
Not a world beater but above average definitely.

I hope you are right in Henry bringing out the best in him, but I do not remember him as above average. Remember the tigers let him go after one year and he has left Wigan after one year so something doesn't add up.
Our success will depend on how many players Henry can get major improvement out of. Particularly the halves and the hooker.

Titan4Life
31-12-14, 09:07 PM
I hope you are right in Henry bringing out the best in him, but I do not remember him as above average. Remember the tigers let him go after one year and he has left Wigan after one year so something doesn't add up.
Our success will depend on how many players Henry can get major improvement out of. Particularly the halves and the hooker.

He wasn't a bad player from memory (though I can hardly remember him) that wasn't a world beater but definitely not **** either.

Definitely agree that Henry bringing the best out of our spine will be a deciding factor for our success. This is Sezer's make or break year IMO. It's time for him to live up to his potential. The forwards like Myles and Bird also need to step up and be role models for the younger forwards (well on the field anyone hahaha).

Titan4Life
01-01-15, 01:47 AM
Pretty sure it's all but confirmed. Eddy himself favourited the tweet. Anything can happen but for now it's 99.99% guaranteed.

Titanic Believer
01-01-15, 04:06 PM
This is a real test of Henry's coaching ability. To get this group of unknowns, unfulfilleds, unwanteds, and under performers, to understand and undo years of disappointment will be an unbelievable accomplishment.

DIEHARD
01-01-15, 11:05 PM
This is a real test of Henry's coaching ability. To get this group of unknowns, unfulfilleds, unwanteds, and under performers, to understand and undo years of disappointment will be an unbelievable accomplishment.

Let's see if Henry can weave some Bellamy style magic.

Titanic Believer
02-01-15, 09:36 AM
Let's see if Henry can weave some Bellamy style magic.

The difference is the proven core of players that the others can connected and be lifted by. There is none of that for us. So if it happens it will be a greater accomplishment.

Titan4Life
02-01-15, 10:01 AM
The difference is the proven core of players that the others can connected and be lifted by. There is none of that for us. So if it happens it will be a greater accomplishment.

Very true. Henry needs to make these lower name players such as Burr, Petty etc to perform week in week out. Bellamy does that but he also has the help of the Melbourne Big 3. Definitely agree that it will be a massive task for Henry but hopefully he can help our 1, 6, 7 and 9 combine and from partnerships if they stay healthy.

I am really interested to see what partnership Sezer and Hoffman can form. That could be a lethal combination if worked on for years. Our spine isn't the greatest but it has potential and I'm interested to see if Henry can help it live up to that potential.

teke
02-01-15, 02:29 PM
Unless Sezer lifts 200% increases his speed and plays tougher at the line I don't see him improving at all. The team is going to need a really good spark next to him at halfback

Titan4Life
02-01-15, 02:57 PM
Unless Sezer lifts 200% increases his speed and plays tougher at the line I don't see him improving at all. The team is going to need a really good spark next to him at halfback

You're always so negative teke. Sezer is not that bad, he just needs to work on a few aspects. His kicking game is good and he is not too bad in defence. I think he needs to stop running the ball so much and focus on setting up a few tries/linebreaks for teammates.

I think Henry will help Sezer. He definitely needs a halves partner such as DCE (;)) to help with the pressure. However, I think with a bit of attacking coaching from Henry and Matterson and the set plays will improve his game.

Mexican titan
02-01-15, 05:24 PM
You're always so negative teke. Sezer is not that bad, he just needs to work on a few aspects. His kicking game is good and he is not too bad in defence. I think he needs to stop running the ball so much and focus on setting up a few tries/linebreaks for teammates.

I think Henry will help Sezer. He definitely needs a halves partner such as DCE (;)) to help with the pressure. However, I think with a bit of attacking coaching from Henry and Matterson and the set plays will improve his game.

Teke probably grew up watching some Manly 5/8's like Ciffy Lyons, Fulton, Allan Thompson and now Foran so he is probably a bit like me when it comes to Sezer.
Sezer's defence is ok as you say but his kicking game is so so - not bad in the opposition 20 but rarely finds the grass when clearing kicking. He never takes the line on and even though you don't have to be quick to be a 5/8 (Lyons and Foran prove that) you need to be a quick thinker and Sezer is lacking here.
However, Henry must have learnt plenty from Thurston so hopefully he can bring Sezer on. Frankly if he doesn't we are in trouble and Sezer would have trouble seeing the year out. I just hope Henry improves him and I am cautiously optimistic.

Titan4Life
02-01-15, 06:46 PM
Yeah I know MT. I'm just a person/fan who thinks of something in a positive way. I have my doubts too but I am confident in Henry at this point in time. Agreed that Sezer needs to find the grass more in his long range kicks. Catching the ball on the full gives the man at the back plenty of extra metres and momentum. One of my main dislikes of him is his inability to set up linebreaks/tries. He needs to stop running the ball so much and focus on trying to put other players through gaps. Once again, I am confident with the help of our attacking coaches (Henry and Matterson) along with set plays being introduced in our team his game will improve.

Titanic
03-01-15, 12:59 AM
Any 5/8 worth his salt controls the team and Sezer doesn't, end of story … we have plodding forwards doing that and until that is rectified we will be very average.

Hail Sezer
07-01-15, 08:33 PM
Meyn confirming via twitter that Eddy Petty will be joining us from next week on a 1 year deal

Hail Sezer
08-01-15, 05:59 PM
Manly Sea Eagle Steve Matai ponders a future with Gold Coast Titans or New Zealand Warriors

January 8, 2015 5:04PM
SMH
Nathan Carter

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2014/09/12/1227056/957823-e391458c-397b-11e4-826f-067092016968.jpg

Steve Matai has increased speculation surrounding his possible departure from the Manly Sea Eagles at the end of the season.

Matai, still recovering from off-season shoulder surgery, said on Thursday the Gold Coast Titans may be a potential destination at the end of 2015.

"It'd be a good option, my partner's family's from up there, from Byron Bay, so it's only half an hour away," Matai said. "We haven't had anyone around a lot, my family's in New Zealand and hers is in Byron Bay. With the kids, it makes it easier having family around. New Zealand's always an option, just for family there, and Gold Coast is an option too if each is going to show interest. It's just good to have family around which we haven't had for a long time. Both options I'd be open to."

Matai, a former New Zealand international, has already tried to leave the Sea Eagles in the last 12 months. Multiple requests for a contract release were denied last year, preventing him from moving back across the Tasman to join the Warriors.

Matai took part in a sporting contest of an unusual kind on Thursday as rugby league players faced off against hip hop superstars in a virtual football match. Lupe Fiasco and B.o.B were in Sydney to kick off their Australian and New Zealand tour with Nelly for what promoters billed "the ultimate hip hop concert".

Banter was flying thick and fast as the two rappers took on Matai and teammate Jamie Buhrer, also undergoing rehab, in the EA Sports game FIFA 15.

While Fiasco and B.o.B. were clearly unfamiliar with the rules and dynamics of "soccer", the rappers put in a solid showing for first-timers, with only a late goal from the league duo salvaging a 1-1 draw.

Buhrer enjoyed competing against the musicians. "It was awesome, it really was," he said. "I'm a gamer at heart. They're really funny fellas, it was a pleasure to be playing alongside them and just to be amongst it."

Matai agreed, adding he had grown up listening to reggae and hip-hop. "It's pretty surreal to be sitting there with world superstars playing like we're at home on the lounge," he said.

Both players are confident of returning for the Sea Eagles' round one clash against the Parramatta Eels, but will likely miss the Auckland Nines pre-season tournament.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/manly-sea-eagles/manly-sea-eagle-steve-matai-ponders-a-future-with-gold-coast-titans-or-new-zealand-warriors-20150108-12jktw.html

Titan4Life
08-01-15, 06:43 PM
Matai wouldn't be a bad signing IMO. He definitely goes down a bit during games but people exaggerate the amount of injuries he apparently has. Sure he's 32 or so but he still has a lot of good footy left in him and he would have to be a better option then Crampton or even worse Zillman :ugh:

As for Pettybourne I think he is a good addition that will add some extra strike to our pack. He is a decent player that will do his job so I'm fine with it.

Mexican titan
08-01-15, 08:14 PM
Personally I think matai is just what the Titans need but I do understand peoples concern about his age and the stage of his career.

Titanic
11-01-15, 11:53 PM
An interesting stat from a Penrith fan:

Of 55 players who have left the Panthers after just 1 first grade game, a couple of them had careers in England, and a couple of others played a handful of games in the NRL, and most by far were never heard of again. Only two players have had what you'd call reasonable first grade careers after leaving Penrith having played one first grade game.

They are Darrien Doherty (66 games for 6 clubs after leaving Penrith)
and Phil Howlett (70 games for Parramatta and Souths).

Lets hope Kieren Moseley can join those two and have a worthwhile career. His one first grade match (against Manly in Round 25) was a blinder.

Toads
12-01-15, 09:44 AM
Anything a Frog would say should be taken as/with a pinch of salt.. Shonky bugga's at the best of times.

Bayside Titan
12-01-15, 02:16 PM
Manager says Manly’s Matai unlikely to join Gold Coast Titans
TRAVIS MEYN
GOLD COAST BULLETIN
JANUARY 12, 2015 11:05AM
Manly Sea Eagle Steve Matai’s manager says he won’t be joining the Titans unles the GC si
Manly Sea Eagle Steve Matai’s manager says he won’t be joining the Titans unles the GC side can put up some serious cash.
STEVE Matai’s manager says it’s unlikely the hard-hitting Manly centre will be on the Gold Coast next year unless the Titans can stump up some serious cash.

The Titans have been in *negotiations with Gavin Orr about luring the ex-Kiwi Test centre north to add some strike power to their backline.

MATT SRAMA SAYS HE HAS A POINT TO PROVE AT TITANS

MILES STEPS UP AS TITAN’S SOLE CAPTAIN

Matai, 30, is off-contract at the end of the year and expected to leave Manly to chase a big-money deal which could be his final NRL contract.

The Sea Eagles blocked a release request from Matai last year to join the Warriors and the 202-game veteran said he was eyeing off the Gold Coast to be closer to family.

“It’d be a good option, my partner’s family’s from up there, from Byron Bay, so it’s only half an hour away,” Matai told Fairfax media outlets.

“My family’s in New Zealand and hers is in Byron Bay. With the kids, it makes it easier having family around.

“New Zealand’s always an option, just for family there, and Gold Coast is an option too if each is going to show interest. It’s just good to have family around, which we haven’t had for a long time. Both options I’d be open to.”

However, the Titans aren’t in the ballpark, financially, according to Orr.

“I know the Titans are pretty interested but I don’t know if they’ll be able to come up with the money,” he said.

“They’ve been talking to me for the last few weeks.

“Steve has always stayed for less at Manly. When he comes off this year he’s going to consider all options.

“There’s an opportunity to get a bit closer to family in Byron. It would have to be a good deal to pull him out of Manly. We’ll wait to see what Manly come back with.

“They’ve (Titans) shown some interest but at the moment it’s not where it needs to be for him to consider it.”

The Titans have plenty of room to move in their 2016 *salary cap.

Veterans Ashley Harrison, Mark Minichiello and Luke Bailey departed last year while highly paid halfback Albert Kelly was released to the English Super League.

Coach Neil Henry is going about assembling a squad he is comfortable with and is expected to target some high-profile players.

Orr said that the Titans had registered an interest in the Sea Eagles’ star playmaker Daly Cherry-Evans but it was too early to say what their chances were of poaching him. “They’ve shown some interest in him but at this stage we haven’t talked any figures,” he said.

Titanic
12-01-15, 02:37 PM
Highly paid halfback Albert Kelly, I wonder who wrote that ... amazed to say the least. Matai, good player that he is, should not be on the top of our hitlist and certainly not to become another Gold Coast retiree ... we should be able to develop centres but DCE is a diffrent story. Throw the cheque book at him and then look after the rest of our squad.

Titan4Life
12-01-15, 03:05 PM
Definitely agree DCE should be our top priority. Matai is one of the top centres in the game but is getting old and will only be around for a couple more years. I wouldn't be disappointing if we signed him but a halfback of DCE's calibre is what we need. Not only does DCE peform on the field but he would also attract fans, sponsors and hopefully more star players to the Titans.

TitansFan92
12-01-15, 07:22 PM
I think we are going to have to pay overs for any decent player to come to the club at the moment including DCE. I'm not saying that I don't want him at the club but in reality we will have to fork out as much as 1.3 million a season to get him here and imo that is to much. I don't think he is worth that much and is defiantly not worth more than Smith, Thurston or Inglis all of which are only on 1.1 million or less a season.

In my honest opinion I say we offer DCE no more then 950k a season but here he has the chance to be apart of rebuilding this great club. If he don't like it then tough there are far better players we can go after.

Mexican titan
12-01-15, 08:13 PM
I think we are going to have to pay overs for any decent player to come to the club at the moment including DCE. I'm not saying that I don't want him at the club but in reality we will have to fork out as much as 1.3 million a season to get him here and imo that is to much. I don't think he is worth that much and is defiantly not worth more than Smith, Thurston or Inglis all of which are only on 1.1 million or less a season.

In my honest opinion I say we offer DCE no more then 950k a season but here he has the chance to be apart of rebuilding this great club. If he don't like it then tough there are far better players we can go after.

Mate you have raised many interesting discussion points in your short post. Agree that DCE is not worth more than Smith, Thurston, or GI but you are right in that the the Titans will need to pay overs to get star players.
The points you posted I found interesting is the bit about DCE coming here and being part of the rebuilding. Why would a young player want to risk his career and do that. Certainly I can understand an older player doing that but a young bloke may not be able to produce as much without as many quality players around him and he might sink his career and put his rep spots in jeopardy. Interesting discussion point though and I can see both sides.
Your final point about there being far better players to go after - interested who you have in mind. Personally I think Foran is a better option as he is a class organizer and he doesn't miss matches due to origin.

teke
12-01-15, 09:00 PM
Agreed, Dce's career will go down the gurgler if he comes here. If we had another couple of class players in the spine then it might be a diff story

Hail Sezer
12-01-15, 09:12 PM
Agreed, Dce's career will go down the gurgler if he comes here. If we had another couple of class players in the spine then it might be a diff story

LG ;)

TitansFan92
12-01-15, 11:41 PM
Mate you have raised many interesting discussion points in your short post. Agree that DCE is not worth more than Smith, Thurston, or GI but you are right in that the the Titans will need to pay overs to get star players.
The points you posted I found interesting is the bit about DCE coming here and being part of the rebuilding. Why would a young player want to risk his career and do that. Certainly I can understand an older player doing that but a young bloke may not be able to produce as much without as many quality players around him and he might sink his career and put his rep spots in jeopardy. Interesting discussion point though and I can see both sides.
Your final point about there being far better players to go after - interested who you have in mind. Personally I think Foran is a better option as he is a class organizer and he doesn't miss matches due to origin.

I would rather see Foran here for many reasons. For one we don't lose him during origin. 2, he plays a more aggressive style which I like and lastly I think he is a better player in the sense that he knows his place in his team and won't cause a rift in the team like DCE clearly did at Manly. Not saying I know what happened at manly but you could clearly see players did not like the bloke that much.

The players I think we should also target would be Hurrell and McCullough. I think they would make a great addition to the club.

Bayside Titan
15-01-15, 08:12 PM
Titans Sign Eddie Pettybourne
Posted by therealsteavis
By NEIL CADIGAN

The Titans have signed experienced NRL forward Eddie Pettybourne for next season. The 26-year-old recently returned from Wigan in England where he was granted a release on personal grounds.

Head coach Neil Henry said the club was extremely fortunate to secure a forward of Pettybourne’s talent and experience to cover for Paul Carter who was dismissed by the club last month.

“He’s a hard-running back or front rower who’s had a lot of experience at the top level and I know Wigan were very happy with his form last season,” Henry said. “He was prominent in their run to the grand final and had proved himself at NRL level.

“He has returned to Australia because of family seasons and we were quick to act after learning that. He’s be a valuable addition and we are very lucky to have a player of his stature to replace Paul.”

Hail Sezer
15-01-15, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the Titans Eddy Petty

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/1-15-2015/NwHX7G.gif

Titan4Life
15-01-15, 08:37 PM
I think he could prove to be a good buy if Neil and co can get a few issues out of his game such as the high shots (thanks HS) and his errors. Needs to be involved and make strong hitups and tackles that put us on the frontfoot. Not sure if he will make the starting lineup. Possibly in the #12 jersey if Myles is a prop in 2015.

K2G
16-01-15, 12:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY0HOAFCSXY

:drinkies: :rolf:

karnage
16-01-15, 08:51 AM
Happy new year guys.

I'm praying that Matai is just using us as contract leverage for the deal he obviously wants, over the Tasman. Recall that his team mate Jamie Lyon played the identical hand when he wanted a few percent more from his last deal with the Sea Eagles.

Matai is still a quality player, but it is indisputable that his best days are behind him. Paying big dollars for declining players, regardless of their quality, IS NOT the road to success.

Hail Sezer
16-01-15, 05:49 PM
Myles to open talks with Titans
By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
NRL.com
12:00pm Fri 16th January, 2015

http://www.nrl.com/Portals/NRL/images/39/39783_20_2.jpg

The Titans' likely captain for 2015, Nate Myles's management will meet with club officials next week about extending his stay on the Gold Coast.

It may just be the new faces or the different training facilities but Gold Coast captain elect Nate Myles insists the Titans are in a good transitional phase, and he wants to be part of it beyond 2015.

With his contract at the club due to expire at the end of this season, Myles and his management will begin talks with the Titans hierarchy next week in an endeavour to extend his stay on the Gold Coast beyond four years.

As the club enters a new phase in the aftermath of the John Cartwright-Michael Searle era that delivered an NRL club back to the Gold Coast but also the ill-fated Centre of Excellence, a player of Myles's standing would appear to be a priority signing.

And while the 29-year-old is eager to re-establish the Titans as a finals threat he jokingly added that the club may have different ideas.

"I'd dare say the club thinks I'm getting old and fragile but I'm feeling good," Myles told NRL.com.

"There's no doubt the club's in a good transition. The club as a whole is so different now... It could just even be my narrow mind thinking that just because we've changed training facilities the club's changing but it feels a lot different.

"It's a different club with a whole different crew here, obviously the coaching staff and all that's different, but it's a good place at the moment and I'm really enjoying it."

After six weeks of the 2014 season the Titans were one of the competition front-runners but soon spiralled out of control both on and off the field, twice registering record-equalling six-game losing streaks that eventually saw Cartwright and Searle both relinquish their roles in the football department, roles they had held since the club's inception in 2007.

As the Titans prepared for what would be Cartwright's final game in charge in Round 22, Myles gave the playing group a severe dressing down on the training paddock but said he never questioned their commitment to the cause.

"You can always run harder, you can always catch a ball but once you start doing those things where you're not running hard or catching every ball that you should be, I think that's a matter of not having your head in the right place," Myles said.

"I think we probably addressed that at that time, the fact that we could all do a lot more in regards to training and taking it onto the field.

"Our attitude towards effort was probably the one thing that kept us all going. No one ever gave up; I think it was just our attitude towards football and playing smart and playing the type of football that would help the people around you, that was probably at a minimum at a lot of stages for us."

The Titans have not been sighted in September football since they were defeated by the Roosters in the Preliminary Final of 2010, a game in which Myles was a member of the opposition.

Twelve months later he had signed to move to the Gold Coast and he admitted that the current team needs to return to the style of football that made the Titans so competitive in their early seasons.

"My thoughts on the Titans were that they were always physical, they were always fast and played that type of footy and I think we need to get back to that for sure," said Myles, who was awarded the Ron McAuliffe Medal as Queensland's best player of the 2014 Origin Series during the off-season.

"I've always had the highest thoughts and images of the Titans and I still do. I think it's a fantastic club and I've said it from the start, it's the third club I've been at and it's easily the most involved in terms of community work.

"I'll never forget the day where they put down the promo paper and they don't even tell players that they're going, they put it down as a voluntary option and it would just get filled up and guys would go and do it.

"That shocked the **** out of me when I first came here because that just wasn't how I come through and did it all."

-Credit to T4L for the original posting, just had it in the wrong place

http://www.nrl.com/myles-to-open-talks-with-titans/tabid/10874/newsid/83407/default.aspx

DavidBouveng
16-01-15, 06:06 PM
such a great comment about the community work. Myles honesty and delivery really sells it as something out of the ordinary.

K2G
24-01-15, 11:52 PM
From Courier Mail's 'What's the Buzz' JANUARY 24, 2015 11:00PM (http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/whats-the-buzz-michael-slater-quits-but-fattys-back-for-22nd-year-on-nrl-footy-show/story-fniabksc-1227195801500?nk=818959cfd1bacd120dfa59004a333c4a)

"SPOTTED II

MANLY’S off-contract halfback Daly Cherry- Evans having dinner with Titans coach Neil Henry at Leichhardt’s Grappa restaurant. No prizes for guessing topic of conversation."

- - - Updated - - -

Signing DCE would surely help the crowd numbers and sponsorship issues ... not to mention our credibility on and off the field. Not getting my hopes up, but I hope we're in the fight.

Hail Sezer
25-01-15, 10:23 PM
From an article about Keary and Reynolds..

"....The Daily Telegraph understands Keary is close to agreeing to a contract extension with the premiers and the announcement could come sooner rather than later."

..."Manly are also interested in the Gold Coast’s Aidan Sezer as a back-up option for 2016."

..."It was revealed in The Sunday Telegraph that Titans coach Neil Henry had dinner last week with Cherry-Evans in Sydney. The Gold Coast see the halfback as the player they want to build their club around.

They are said to be working hard at every level to come up with a package that would make the player tipped to be the future Queensland and Australian captain the Gold Coast’s latest attraction — on and off the field."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/south-sydney-rabbitohs-step-up-bid-to-secure-adam-reynolds-and-luke-keary/story-fniabob6-1227196234361

Cliffs:

-Keary re-signing with Souths
-Manly after Sezer if they lose Foran/DCE and can't get Reynolds
-We're throwing the kitchen sink at DCE

Titan4Life
25-01-15, 10:33 PM
From an article about Keary and Reynolds..

"....The Daily Telegraph understands Keary is close to agreeing to a contract extension with the premiers and the announcement could come sooner rather than later."

..."Manly are also interested in the Gold Coast’s Aidan Sezer as a back-up option for 2016."

..."It was revealed in The Sunday Telegraph that Titans coach Neil Henry had dinner last week with Cherry-Evans in Sydney. The Gold Coast see the halfback as the player they want to build their club around.

They are said to be working hard at every level to come up with a package that would make the player tipped to be the future Queensland and Australian captain the Gold Coast’s latest attraction — on and off the field."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/south-sydney-rabbitohs-step-up-bid-to-secure-adam-reynolds-and-luke-keary/story-fniabob6-1227196234361

Cliffs:

-Keary re-signing with Souths
-Manly after Sezer if they lose Foran/DCE and can't get Reynolds
-We're throwing the kitchen sink at DCE

My reaction:

-Meh I would rather DCE
-I hope we don't lose Sezer if we don't get DCE. We would be left without any decent half.
-I would be throwing everything at DCE. He is in the top 5 halves in the game and we haven't had a really good half since Prince.

I would really love to see Sezer stay if we also recruit Cherry. I think they could form a good combination with each other and also Hoffman. I think a spine that looks like; Hoffman, Sezer, DCE, Moseley would be a threat in the competition.

teke
25-01-15, 11:52 PM
Pfft I don't want Sezer at Manly

Mexican titan
26-01-15, 12:06 AM
Pfft I don't want Sezer at Manly

Me either

Hail Sezer
26-01-15, 05:25 AM
My reaction:

-Meh I would rather DCE
-I hope we don't lose Sezer if we don't get DCE. We would be left without any decent half.
-I would be throwing everything at DCE. He is in the top 5 halves in the game and we haven't had a really good half since Prince.

I would really love to see Sezer stay if we also recruit Cherry. I think they could form a good combination with each other and also Hoffman. I think a spine that looks like; Hoffman, Sezer, DCE, Moseley would be a threat in the competition.

We all would but if we missed DCE then Keary wouldve been a good target

Bayside Titan
27-01-15, 12:32 PM
Paddy Kilmurry from the Bulletin Tweeted @paddykilmurray: Old mates and current teammates.... but for how much longer? @9NewsGoldCoast http://t.co/uSxHZFqMBh

Picture was of Burr and Sezer. Over the weekend someone on LU suggested that Sezer may go to Manly if they loose Foran to Parra. Could be interesting?

K2G
27-01-15, 02:12 PM
NRL 2015: Gold Coast Titans half Aidan Sezer quiet on Manly Sea Eagles rumours (http://m.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-2015-gold-coast-titans-half-aidan-sezer-quiet-on-manly-sea-eagles-rumours/story-fniabrr8-1227198181756)
ED JACKSON
AAP
JANUARY 27, 2015 12:08PMGOLD

Coast half Aidan Sezer says he’s loves playing at the Titans and isn’t aware of any interest from rival NRL clubs.

Sezer is off-contract at the end of the season and was linked to Manly last weekend in a report claiming the Titans were preparing a bid for Sea Eagles’ star Daly Cherry-Evans.

Sezer, a 23-year-old Canterbury junior, has been with the Titans since moving north in 2011.

He says he hasn’t heard about any offers or interest from other clubs.

“I love playing up here and that’s as much as I’m going to say at the moment,” he said.
“I don’t really know too much on where you’re going there.”

Despite the Titans reportedly being in the market for a marquee half such as Cherry-Evans, the club will start the year with Sezer and Daniel Mortimer as the playmaking combination.

Having returned from a serious pectoral injury at the back end of 2014 to partner Mortimer, Sezer says there’s a lot to like about the developing combination.
“Mortsy and I really enjoy each other’s company ... he’s a terrier and he likes to get amongst things,” he said.

“I enjoy playing outside him. He’s really stepping up in pre-season and been a leader.”

Both Sezer and Mortimer will be part of the Titans’ squad for the Auckland Nines this weekend.

Sezer says the carnival will be a good break from the rigours of pre-season.

“Hopefully we can go out there, have some fun and perform well for our fans,” he said.

- - - Updated - - -

Odd comments. Sounds like he'd be terrible at the poker table.

Titanic
27-01-15, 02:45 PM
Yep, deal me in :)

ozynorts
27-01-15, 04:25 PM
That's why they have managers........ They are able to say "they" haven't spoken to anyone but sure as $hit his manager has...

Titanic
27-01-15, 08:39 PM
The parasites have to make a buck ... how I hate that. Just imagine if everybody stayed with their club the poor bastards would be penniless.

Mexican titan
27-01-15, 08:59 PM
The parasites have to make a buck ... how I hate that. Just imagine if everybody stayed with their club the poor bastards would be penniless.

Hardly, they get a percentage of every contract. But I take your point, they can't just cop 7% of $500,000 if they can push a player up to $600,000 even if it means relocating. Managers have no morals but we are well and truly stuck with them.

K2G
27-01-15, 10:48 PM
Sezer backs himself in earning new Titans deal
TODD BALYM NEWS LIMITED JANUARY 27, 2015 11:00PM | Couriermail.com.au (http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/nrl-season-2015-aidan-sezer-backs-himself-in-earning-new-titans-deal/story-e6freon6-1227198712904?nk=6140838b56b4063f5f59197f696aa571)

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2015/01/27/1227198/713042-59a34302-a5f5-11e4-a11e-9d15a37a8504.jpg

GOLD Coast’s Aidan Sezer has deferred all contract negotiations until well into the new season, with the off contract Titans playmaker determined to prove his worth before seeking an upgraded deal.

With some of the NRL’s biggest name halves off contract in 2015, the first dominoes started to fall on Tuesday as South Sydney’s premiership duo Adam Reynolds (until 2017) and Luke Keary (2016) both signed new deals at the Rabbitohs.

Keary had been a potential Titans target, with the club now set to turn their full attention to Manly’s Daly Cherry Evans.

Sezer has been mentioned as a potential target for Manly if the Sea Eagles fail to retain either Kieran Foran or Cherry Evans, but the 23-year-old dismissed talk of his future yesterday as he prepares to open his season at the Auckland Nines.

Sezer and his manager haven’t spoken to any clubs, including the Titans, about his future with the five-eighth only focused on getting his career trajectory back on track after a 2014 ruined by persistent injuries.

“I’ve addressed it (my future) numerous times that I love playing up here,” Sezer said.

“It’s as much as I want to say at the moment.’’

Sezer’s 2014 season started with a hamstring strain in the trials, which ruled him out of the Nines, and was then severely disrupted by a torn pec muscle that cost him half a season.

Sezer is hoping to take his game to the next level this year with a full preseason under his belt, more professionalism in his training under the new Titans coaching staff and some quality training time alongside likely halves partner Daniel Mortimer.

“We’re a team that were disappointing last year, we want to rectify a few things,” Sezer said. “Hopefully we can go over to the Nines and start it off on a good note.

“I reckon the trials are massive in terms of getting (my) timing back. You train for several months but in terms of game fitness and game awareness you can’t replicate that other than in a game. I place high importance on it as a half.”

Mexican titan
28-01-15, 09:27 AM
I have been critical of Sezer like many others but I like his positive attitude in the above article. It would be great if his game goes up a few levels this year and hopefully prove it was the coaching and the teams style of play that was holding him back.
It's a huge year for him, and a few others.

Titanic
28-01-15, 11:21 AM
A huge year would help his market value as well but rather the devil you know if he can hit his stride. I like the fact that we have Hazard, Moseley, Elgey and Fogarty behind Sezer and Mortimer who both have experience ... this balance is so much better than slotting the likes of Zillman in the halves just to fill the position.

TITAN PETE
28-01-15, 11:48 AM
I think Sezar has a very good manager who knows there are limited amounts of quality halves in the competition & if he shines his worth will increase which is a win win for us but he has a huge amount of improvement required to warrant a pay rise just yet, fingers crossed for both parties

Titan4Life
29-01-15, 09:30 PM
I know it's the lurker and the info is not 100% but here is an answer which I hope is not true:

@gc_anthony Who is the favourite to snare DCE? Also what is the latest on Matai? Are Titans a good chance for either? #asklurk

The Lurker: DCE doesn't want to leave Sydney. Sharks favourite at this stage but Foran's decision will have huge bearing. Few clubs after Matai and we know Warriors are the keenest. But Toovey insists the fiery one won't be going anywhere.

DavidBouveng
29-01-15, 09:55 PM
i would love DCE, but if we didnt get him... i cant see him being a shark. just doesnt fit right,

they have such chips on shoulders and wanky 'hard done by' persepctive because THEY broke the rules. dont want DCE getting bogged down in Gallen and Flano's gritty style.

at least go play for melbourne, bulldogs, rabbits... somewhere that will improve him, not a club needing HIM to improve the club

Mexican titan
29-01-15, 10:02 PM
I know it's the lurker and the info is not 100% but here is an answer which I hope is not true:

@gc_anthony Who is the favourite to snare DCE? Also what is the latest on Matai? Are Titans a good chance for either? #asklurk

The Lurker: DCE doesn't want to leave Sydney. Sharks favourite at this stage but Foran's decision will have huge bearing. Few clubs after Matai and we know Warriors are the keenest. But Toovey insists the fiery one won't be going anywhere.

In relation to Matai this comment was posted on the Silvertails Forum earlier today:
"Spoke to him yesterday, he is still undecided. He was never going to the Titans though, he laughed at that write-up. He was a bit underwhelmed at Manly's offer so far, but he still loves it at Manly. I think he'll stay after talking to him, provided Manly add a few more $$ to their initial offer."
I am very wary of people who quote things stating they have spoken to the player as there is no way of proving it so take it as you like. Like DB I can't see DCE going to the Sharks but all this talk is giving me the irrits. I know that I am talking through my pocket but it seems wrong to me about all this talk about players in 2016 when we haven't even had a game in 2015 yet. The AFL seem to be able to manage player movements in a better way so why can't the NRL - but that is a topic done to death and not for this thread I guess.

Titanic
29-01-15, 10:29 PM
i would love DCE, but if we didnt get him... i cant see him being a shark. just doesnt fit right,

they have such chips on shoulders and wanky 'hard done by' persepctive because THEY broke the rules. dont want DCE getting bogged down in Gallen and Flano's gritty style.

at least go play for melbourne, bulldogs, rabbits... somewhere that will improve him, not a club needing HIM to improve the club
That would be us too.

DavidBouveng
29-01-15, 11:54 PM
oh absolutely it is Titanic. but my bias would forgive him for that,

but if its not us, then let us see the best of him.

Titan4Life
30-01-15, 07:37 PM
Slow and steady as Titans join race to sign Manly halfback Daly Cherry-Evans
CHRIS GARRY NEWS LIMITED
JANUARY 30, 2015 5:16PM

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2015/01/30/1227202/608423-03092bdc-a84e-11e4-b4a3-9d4f296075c1.jpg

DALY Cherry-Evans has revealed he is a long way from re-committing to Manly, if he does at all, while Neil Henry has finally admitted the Titans are negotiating to bring the star halfback to Queensland.

Cherry-Evans would be the greatest signing in the Titans' history but they are one of just five NRL clubs, including Manly, chasing the Maroons star.

The Titans are considered the only club capable of luring Cherry-Evans from the northern beaches.

Cherry-Evans has already rejected an offer from the Sea Eagles and told The Courier-Mail his contract negotiations would drag into the season.

However, Manly coach Geoff Toovey said he was confident of ending the negotiations before the season started.

The Sea Eagles initially wanted to finish them before Christmas.

Cherry-Evans said his next contract was too important to rush.

"That was never a target of mine ... to have it finished by the start of the season," he said.

"We are not where we need to be with anyone.

"When I find a good enough deal, I will be happy to talk about it.

"At the moment it is not in a position to move forward quickly.

"Don't get me wrong, when it happens I hope it happens quickly.

"I learned from previous years. I need to cover everything before I commit to a club long term."

Cherry-Evans would not reveal which clubs he was favouring.

"I think it is fair to leave everyone out of it until a deal is done," he said.

"By me not renegotiating a deal with Manly ... I knew what position I was putting myself into by being a free agent."

Henry said he felt the Titans' chances of snaring Cherry-Evans depended on whether his halves partner Keiran Foran stayed at Manly.

The Titans have a large amount of cap space for 2016 with a host of first graders off-contract at the end of this season.

They will be able to make Cherry-Evans a more than competitive offer and also have the come home factor in their back pocket.

"A few clubs are interested in Cherry-Evans. He's a quality player but he's pretty settled at Manly," Henry said.

"They have got him and Kieran Foran and it will be a battle to keep two players of that calibre.

"If Keiran does move on I would think Daly would stay.

"We are one of a few clubs interested.

"Are we the club to entice him back to Queensland? That remains to be seen."

Toovey was adamant the saga would not affect the club's 2015 season and believed it would be settled by the start of the season.

"We are hoping that is the case but I wouldn't put a deadline on it," Toovey said.

"They are both professional. Hopefully they make a decision soon."

Mexican titan
30-01-15, 08:45 PM
Jeezus T4L, you won't give up on this will you.:fight:
If Foran and DCE both leave Manly I am heading to the cliff.:cry::drinkies:

Titanic
30-01-15, 10:07 PM
I really hope we don't lock down a deal with DCE or any marquee player until we've had a good look at what we have.

Titan4Life
31-01-15, 11:16 PM
Gold Coast Titans offer to make Daly Cherry-Evans highest paid player in NRL
January 31, 2015 - 11:00PM
By MICHAEL CARAYANNIS

Gold Coast will try to tempt Daly Cherry-Evans by making the Manly half the highest paid player in the NRL should he join the Titans next year.

The Titans are set to offer Cherry-Evans up to $1.3 million a season to join the Gold Coast side, which has identified the 25-year-old as the player to lead it back into finals calculations.

Regardless of which club Cherry-Evans opts for long term, he is expected to join the likes of Cameron Smith and Johnathan Thurston as the only million dollar players in the game.

Manly, the Titans and Cronulla are in the hunt for the Australian playmaker, with rival clubs told it would take more than a million dollars for Cherry-Evans to leave Brookvale.

Titans coach Neil Henry had dinner with Cherry-Evans in Sydney recently as the Gold Coast stepped up their bid to lure him.

The loss of Cherry-Evans – who played his first junior football at Redcliffe about 1-1/2 hours outside the Gold Coast – would be a cruel blow for the Sea Eagles, who are fighting hard to retain him and teammate Kieran Foran. Titans half Aidan Sezer is also off-contract.

Foran – who will also go close to securing a $1 million contract – has attracted interest from the Eels, New Zealand, the Bulldogs and the Roosters. After South Sydney halves Adam Reynolds and Luke Keary re-signed with the defending premiers last week, the player market will not settle until the Manly pair make up their minds.

Foran told Fairfax Media that he and Cherry-Evans spoke often about their playing futures. While they would like to remain teammates, Foran said that alone would not be enough to keep them at the club.

"We love playing with one another, so it will be a pretty big impact on one another's decision," Foran said. "We're also wary of doing what is right for our families and leave one another to make that decision."

Manly have undergone a dramatic roster reshuffle in recent seasons with the likes of long-term players Brent Kite, Anthony Watmough and Glenn Stewart now playing elsewhere. While the club is hopeful of retaining centre Steve Matai, losing Foran or Cherry-Evans would see the once mighty Sea Eagles torn apart.

Foran said this pre-season was a little strange following the exit of Watmough and Stewart.

"It was a bit different, as it would be losing those sorts of players," Foran said. "There's a lot of new faces around and that has brought a lot of enthusiasm to the joint. Life goes on and you've got to move on.

"We've done that as a club. You can't replace those guys' experience but we're confident in the squad we've got. I was very tight with both boys. You find it different rocking up to training and not seeing your really close mates there but, in saying that, I've got some other really close mates in the side.

"They've made decisions for what's best for them and their families and I'm happy for them.

"Last year was one of those unfortunate years where a lot of that off-field stuff was aired out in public. It was just so hard to control but we feel we've fixed all that up now and [are] moving forward. As a club, we don't lose that winning culture just because a couple of players have left. It's a really strong culture at Manly and that will still be there."

Cherry-Evans and Foran played in Manly's Auckland Nines squad on Saturday. Cherry-Evans captained the side in both of their losses while Foran did not feature in the dying stages defeat to St George Illawarra in the second game.

Bayside Titan
31-01-15, 11:46 PM
$1.3 mil sounds about right. He would be worth every cent on and off the field. He would be the player that could go along way to uniting potential Titans fans not only here on the Coast but also throughout Qld.

Titan4Life
01-02-15, 03:47 PM
What does everyone think about DCE? Yes or no? Many of our fans say he is not worth it but I disagree. DCE is a quality player on the field and much better than Mortimer. Not only would he beneficial on the field but also off it. He has the name to increase our chances of attracting other stars, fans and sponsors. We have over $3m dollars in our cap for next year and paying $1.3m for a player like him is all worth it IMO

teke
01-02-15, 04:19 PM
Not worth it

JunctionBlock
01-02-15, 07:09 PM
If he brings a major sponsor then sign away.

Nick
01-02-15, 07:15 PM
What does everyone think about DCE? Yes or no? Many of our fans say he is not worth it but I disagree. DCE is a quality player on the field and much better than Mortimer. Not only would he beneficial on the field but also off it. He has the name to increase our chances of attracting other stars, fans and sponsors. We have over $3m dollars in our cap for next year and paying $1.3m for a player like him is all worth it IMO

Why do you keep going on with this? We have witnessed we have some good young kids coming through the ranks, why not develop them?

Titan4Life
01-02-15, 07:22 PM
Why do you keep going on with this? We have witnessed we have some good young kids coming through the ranks, why not develop them?

Uhh maybe because there was a new article and I was discussing it. Sorry I thought that was what this forum is for.

We definitely have some good kids coming through the rank but we also have an international and state rep who is one of the top halfbacks willing to discuss signing with us. I won't be disappointed if we don't sign him as we have Elgey and Hazard but DCE would be great for us.

Mexican titan
01-02-15, 09:00 PM
Not worth it

Yeah, not worth 2 bob. Manly are welcome to him!!

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously Nick, if you think the good young kids coming through are in DCE's league , well I'm not here. The good young kids could be anything but........the odds are they will not be, and even if they are they are a couple of years away from being anywhere near DCE. We cannot wait that long. On this forum people like us are the diehards (sorry Diehard) who know most of what is happening player wise around the club and the juniors. However most people on the Coast would still not have a clue about Elgey, Moseley, Hazard etc, and we cannot just hope that they all will develop. Some will I hope. We need marquee players NOW that win us games and get the Coast talking about the Titans again.
I don't want DCE to leave Manly but if he does and comes up here he would be sensational for the place. He would give the club as much as Ablett gave the Suns - and you can see what he has done for them.

teke
01-02-15, 09:12 PM
I'm a huge Dce fan but he's not worth 1 mill a yr let alone 1.3

I'd struggle to get my head around him being worth 7-800 grand.

Titanic
01-02-15, 10:00 PM
Any injuries to our blokes?

Titan4Life
01-02-15, 10:14 PM

If you mean from the nines then I don't think so.

Mexican titan
01-02-15, 10:19 PM
I'm a huge Dce fan but he's not worth 1 mill a yr let alone 1.3

I'd struggle to get my head around him being worth 7-800 grand.

Know what you mean Teke but there would be quite a few blokes on 700 grand now I reckon. Regardless of what we think of that, that is the market unfortunately. I agree that he is not worth 1.3m but there would be third party deals in that I would think. The other factor is that I think we will have to pay overs for a while to get the top blokes here. DCE would attract a lot more members and corporates to the club so he would go a long way to paying his way.

karnage
01-02-15, 11:23 PM
Daly Cherry-Evans is not a player that a team like ours can over spend on. He would be worth every single cent of the rumoured $1.3M that has been bandied around.

The biggest concern is his partner (girlfriend or wife I'm not sure). She's from Sydney's northern suburbs and they bought a nice house together only recently - chances are she's gonna want to live in it.

I'm holding out hope we pull this off, but the likely scenario is that his manager is using us as leverage.

JunctionBlock
02-02-15, 09:11 AM

Sezer got a black eye. That's why we didn't see him on Sunday.

As for DCE, as stated above, his girlfriend and the house. Seems like another player that would have the home sick excuse if he needed a get out clause.

Hail Sezer
03-02-15, 06:50 AM
Gold Coast Titans target Dylan Napa, Manly star Daly Cherry-Evans

CHRIS GARRY
THE COURIER-MAIL
FEBRUARY 02, 2015 11:00PM

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2014/01/20/1226806/142229-2b4431d4-8183-11e3-8c0a-8e0465bef8c3.jpg

THE Gold Coast Titans want to bring the most aggressive player in rugby league, flame-haired firebrand Dylan Napa, home to Queensland.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the Roosters giant is one of the Titans’ key targets for 2016, alongside Daly Cherry-Evans.

Napa is rated a future Maroon and is the last of a dying breed of forwards who base their game on sheer aggression.

The Titans are one of three clubs negotiating with Napa for next season but are the only team offering him a chance to be close to his Brisbane family.

Napa is a 194cm, 110kg forward who first caught the eye when he buried Paul Gallen into the turf during his rookie season.

That hit sparked a social media war between Gallen and Napa’s former Roosters coach Brian Smith.

Even in the Nines tournament, played without the physical intensity of the NRL, Napa was placed on report twice for thumping hits.

The Titans have identified a need for more aggression and Napa fits that bill perfectly.

Napa was signed by the Roosters as a teen after putting two players on stretchers with shoulder charges in an under-18 game in Brisbane.

Gold Coast will have significant cap space to sign new players next year as they enter a rebuilding phase under Neil Henry.

If they manage to sign Napa and Cherry-Evans, it would transform the Titans into top four contenders.

Standing in their way are Manly coach Geoff Toovey and Roosters mentor Trent Robinson.

Robinson said he was aware of the interest in Napa but saw the 22-year-old as a key part of his team for years to come.

“He’s one of the best up and coming front rowers so clubs should be chasing him,” Robinson said.

“We want to keep him but this is the state of the game at the moment.

“It is open season at any time of the year and in any year.

“There will always be interest in good players like him.”

Napa’s aggression does lead to penalties and suspensions, such as the one that saw him ruled out of the finals series for a shoulder charge.

“We want that aggression but we don’t want him to see red,” Robinson said.

“We want the fiery Dylan Napa. We also want it over 80 minutes and round after round.

“He did get suspended and it was in Round 26 but we don’t want to extinguish that fire.”

Cherry-Evans revealed last weekend his contract negotiations would drag into the season because he wanted to properly evaluate all offers — believed to be from five clubs — before deciding his future.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-off-contract-players-gold-coast-titans-target-dylan-napa-manly-star-daly-cherry-evans/story-fniabrr8-1227205323378

JunctionBlock
03-02-15, 07:38 AM
So the following players are off contract this year (off the zero tackle website):

Caleb Binge, Davin Crampton, Jamie Dowling, Kane Elgey, Kalifa Faifai Loa, Beau Falloon, Jamal Fogarty, Christian Hazard, Shaun Hudson, Jai Ingram, Mark Ioane, Nate Myles, Eddy Pettybourne, Ben Ridge, James Roberts, Aidan Sezer, Brad Tighe

Who's not getting re-signed if we are going to have 3 million spare in our cap to chase others?

And who's Shaun Hudson?

TITAN PETE
03-02-15, 10:03 AM
So the following players are off contract this year (off the zero tackle website):

Caleb Binge, Davin Crampton, Jamie Dowling, Kane Elgey, Kalifa Faifai Loa, Beau Falloon, Jamal Fogarty, Christian Hazard, Shaun Hudson, Jai Ingram, Mark Ioane, Nate Myles, Eddy Pettybourne, Ben Ridge, James Roberts, Aidan Sezer, Brad Tighe

Who's not getting re-signed if we are going to have 3 million spare in our cap to chase others?

And who's Shaun Hudson?

Are you taking the piss or have you never watched a 20's match in the past 2 or 3 years ..

I'd sign Napa in a heart beat but i think he'll spend more time than most on the sidelines due to suspensions

Titan4Life
03-02-15, 10:07 AM
Napa would be a good buy for us but not a crucial one. He is a hard hitter with a bright future but he needs to cut the silly penalties out of his game (shoulder charges etc). I wouldn't be paying overs for him as we already have a stack of second rowers at the club.

My 2016 money would be focused on buying DCE and resigning other current players such as Roberts, Sezer, Myles, Elgey, Hazard, Ioane and possibly others.

Hail Sezer
03-02-15, 10:39 AM
Napa would be a good buy for us but not a crucial one. He is a hard hitter with a bright future but he needs to cut the silly penalties out of his game (shoulder charges etc). I wouldn't be paying overs for him as we already have a stack of second rowers at the club.

My 2016 money would be focused on buying DCE and resigning other current players such as Roberts, Sezer, Myles, Elgey, Hazard, Ioane and possibly others.

You'd re-sign 2 players who have never played NRL and one who hasn't proven himself worthy of an upgrade as of yet?

I would give all of those players mentioned this season to prove their worth before making a call like that, although I am confident and hopeful that LG, JR and Critta can all do this.

Supergoose
03-02-15, 10:40 AM
James > Napa

Bayside Titan
03-02-15, 11:20 AM
James > Napa

If James can come good this year and we do sign Napa it would make for a very big front row for 2015.

JunctionBlock
03-02-15, 12:20 PM
Are you taking the piss or have you never watched a 20's match in the past 2 or 3 years ..

Nope not taking the piss. Never heard of him. Very rarely do I get a chance to get to the U20's games, (two young kids just have the attention span to sit through the main game) barely get to the main game on time. Haven't seen his name mentioned once on here as a player of interest.

Bayside Titan
03-02-15, 12:28 PM

Nope not taking the piss. Never heard of him. Very rarely do I get a chance to get to the U20's games, (two young kids just have the attention span to sit through the main game) barely get to the main game on time. Haven't seen his name mentioned once on here as a player of interest.

I'm the same. I have three young ones who have the attention span of the main game. I wouldn't know who Shaun Hudson is as well.

Hail Sezer
03-02-15, 12:29 PM

Mate this should hopefully help..he has been the only 2015 20's eligible player training with first grade for the most part of pre-season too..been in u20s for 3 years and features on the NRL player profiles on the website.

Talented centre who is very good at creating time with the ball. You will see him pop up on the forum much more going forward as I am confident he will have a stellar season in u20s this year and perhaps even see some time in Qcup.

Titanic
03-02-15, 01:05 PM
I would take Napa too. I have to ask, which of our forwards worry other teams' attacks? Cheap shot Bird maybe, but not too many others. I dont feel too worried either way regarding DCE to be honest and I really want some coin spent on our development.

TitansFan92
04-02-15, 02:06 AM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/the-titans-are-expected-to-table-a-club-record-3-million-deal-for-daly-cherry-evans/story-e6frf3xc-1227206963179

This is getting serious. If the club pulls this off it will be the best day in the Clubs recent history.

Titan Crius
04-02-15, 09:19 AM
Mate this should hopefully help..he has been the only 2015 20's eligible player training with first grade for the most part of pre-season too..been in u20s for 3 years and features on the NRL player profiles on the website.

Talented centre who is very good at creating time with the ball. You will see him pop up on the forum much more going forward as I am confident he will have a stellar season in u20s this year and perhaps even see some time in Qcup.

Hi All, First post, have been enjoying this forum and decised to join and make a comment now and again. I am keen follower of NRL & NYC Titan Teams as I believe we are one club and should support all of our teams and be aware of our players in both grades. I love following the NYC squad and I believe after watching for past couple of years that we have some very good talent coming through, especially Coleman & Hudson. Both had great seasons in 2014 and both (I have been told from my sources are training with the NRL squad one or two days/week. imo, Coleman is a outstanding young 2nd row/lock/centre that it seems it being brought along in the correct manner for NRL and Hudson an outstanding Centre/Fullback/wing, has overcome a serious knee injury and finished season in great form and is also being brough along for NRL. I am excited about our year ahead under Henry. always GO TITANS

Hail Sezer
04-02-15, 09:23 AM
Hi All, First post, have been enjoying this forum and decised to join and make a comment now and again. I am keen follower of NRL & NYC Titan Teams as I believe we are one club and should support all of our teams and be aware of our players in both grades. I love following the NYC squad and I believe after watching for past couple of years that we have some very good talent coming through, especially Coleman & Hudson. Both had great seasons in 2014 and both (I have been told from my sources are training with the NRL squad one or two days/week. imo, Coleman is a outstanding young 2nd row/lock/centre that it seems it being brought along in the correct manner for NRL and Hudson an outstanding Centre/Fullback/wing, has overcome a serious knee injury and finished season in great form and is also being brough along for NRL. I am excited about our year ahead under Henry. always GO TITANS

Welcome to the Forum mate!

Always good to have someone with juniors knowledge on here as it is hard to come across otherwise. Interesting to hear that Coleman has been training with first grade too and I agree with your points about them both.

We have 2 juniors dedicated sub-forums which you may enjoy reading through/posting in:

http://www.leagueoftitans.com.au/forumdisplay.php?41-Titans-Under-20s

http://www.leagueoftitans.com.au/forumdisplay.php?42-Titans-Juniors

Lots of good discussion there

Titan Crius
04-02-15, 09:49 AM
Thank you Hail Sezer, as I said I have been looking at this Forum for a while and have to compliment yourself, MDrew & TitanPete for your great comments on our Juniors & NYC squads, will the Titans post a Trial Squad for our NYC Trial this weekend?, hope that this year they show more of a Club Attitude (NRL, NYC, FEEDER CLUBS, BURLEIGH & TWEED (our Reserve Grades) and provide good stories & info on a consistant basis on all these squads. again thanks

Titanic
04-02-15, 11:38 AM
Welcome TC ... unfortunately the promotion of the other grades is largely left up to the dedicated few like those you have mentioned. Perhaps if there are enough of you watching NYC etc and with an interest to be involved then you guys should band together to become the platform to better promote those teams. I know mdrew has tried on several ocassions to approach the club to help.

Bayside Titan
04-02-15, 01:45 PM
Just a general thought or question do others think that maybe Greg Bird may go back to Cronulla in 2016 to play with Gallen seeing how Gallen has said / suggested that 2016 would be his last?? I would completely understand if that was the case. I think from memory Birds contract finishes 2017 ??

Hail Sezer
05-02-15, 07:27 AM
As T4L eluded to in the DCE thread, the latest article says that we are turning our focus to a gun centre for the future, with Euan Aitken being the target.

Fantastic player, however I would be very surprised to see the Dragons let him go.

Titan4Life
05-02-15, 07:33 AM
Found some videos of Aitken. Looks like a very promising player with a good mix of strength and speed:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZhgzR1AM9zk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c2DU-WSmMEo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Moved the videos to a more relevant thread.

Hail Sezer
05-02-15, 07:58 AM
Hes quality mate and still haa 2015 in under 20s

lonegull
05-02-15, 08:10 AM
Aitken is the Bloke that Benji Marshall has come out in recent weeks and rated the next big thing, so I wouldn't imagine the dragons letting him go in a hurry, he played well in the nines and by the looks of the video he definitely is a player with a big future in the game

Hail Sezer
07-02-15, 10:43 AM
Article in Bulletin today saying that we are in danger of losing Elgey. 4 clubs after him after his 9s performance with formal offers expected next week.

React please Titans.

TITAN PETE
07-02-15, 11:28 AM
Article in Bulletin today saying that we are in danger of losing Elgey. 4 clubs after him after his 9s performance with formal offers expected next week.

React please Titans.

Maybe after tonight his value may rise even further but if I was Kane I would want to wait to see if DCE comes here as I'm sure he'd like to play along side him...also Elgey becomes far more valuable to the Titans if DCE doesn't sign here, would love for this Shyte to be sorted before the season begins, this stuff is the worst part of our game

Hail Sezer
07-02-15, 12:25 PM
Here is the article, apologies for quality

http://s22.postimg.org/ihi9r2jwx/Screen_Shot_2015_02_07_at_12_35_56_pm.png

Didn't catch the author but I'm presuming it is Travis Meyn. From Weekend Gold Coast Bulletin 07/02/2015

DIEHARD
07-02-15, 01:03 PM
Welcome to the forum Titan Crius. Really pleased to have you aboard for 2015.

DavidBouveng
07-02-15, 03:31 PM

React please Titans.

Maybe after tonight his value may rise even further but if I was Kane I would want to wait to see if DCE comes here as I'm sure he'd like to play along side him...also Elgey becomes far more valuable to the Titans if DCE doesn't sign here, would love for this Shyte to be sorted before the season begins, this stuff is the worst part of our game

yeah its tough. we finally found a gun, and people want to grab him before hes even played NRL games.

But then we are tying to steal manlys best player (or one of, for you foran lovers), so we cant complain.

just a frustrating situation all around.

teke
07-02-15, 05:31 PM
I can see a Disaster unfold on a grand scale.

Manly announce the resigning of DCE for the rest of his career while Elgey announces on the same day he has been picked up by another NRL club :D

Geeman
07-02-15, 08:07 PM
MALONEY TESTING MARKET, MAY LEAVE ROOSTERS
THE AUSTRALIAN – FEBRUARY 7, 2015
JAMES MALONEY, NEWS, SYDNEY ROOSTERS
James Maloney

The halves pairing that led the Sydney Roosters to the premiership less than two years ago is on the verge of being split.

James Maloney, whose partnership with Mitchell Pearce played a major role in the Roosters’ 2013 title, has begun testing the open market amid the increasing reality that he may be squeezed out of Bondi Junction at the end of the season.

The Roosters are already struggling to retain young forward Dylan Napa amid interest from the Gold Coast and St George Illawarra.

The difficulty confronting the club is the financial jigsaw puzzle required to retain players such as Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Daniel Tupou and Shaun Kenny-Dowall.

Read more: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/maloney-testing-market-may-leave-roosters-16346/#ixzz3R33uuD62

May be a possibility if DCE doesn't happen. Not worth huge money IMO, but could be worth a look.
(Especially if Teke's prediction comes true...:rolleyes:)

Hail Sezer
10-02-15, 06:46 AM
Article in GCB today - Leva Li is looking likely* to pick up a contract

Edited to say likely - actually read the article and there is no guarantee of it, but Henry said he is a good chance

K2G
10-02-15, 10:40 PM
Excerpt from SMH article 'Canterbury Bulldogs enter race for Daly Cherry-Evans (http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/canterbury-bulldogs/canterbury-bulldogs-enter-race-for-daly-cherryevans-20150210-13az50.html)' by Adrian Proszenko, February 10, 2015 - 10:00PM

" Canterbury have emerged as the dark horse in the race for the signature of Daly Cherry-Evans in a development that clouds the future of grand final halfback Trent Hodkinson.

... it's understood Hasler has asked to have a final crack at Cherry-Evans before he commits anywhere.

The decisions of the Manly stars, who can command seven-figure-per-season price tags, will have huge ramifications for a number of clubs ... Maloney was one of the hottest players in 2013, earning a Blues jersey and piloting the Roosters to a premiership. However, the Roosters have put those negotiations on hold until the other cards fall. Gold Coast playmaker Sezer is keen to return to Sydney and the Roosters, through his manager, have been approached about the prospect of shifting to Bondi Junction .... he could be an option should Maloney depart "

Our priority should be to lock-up Elgey ASAP. Unless we have some good fortune around ownership/sponsers soon - I just can't see us landing DCE. I would also take Maloney over Sezer quite happily.

Mexican titan
10-02-15, 11:00 PM
Excerpt from SMH article 'Canterbury Bulldogs enter race for Daly Cherry-Evans (http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/canterbury-bulldogs/canterbury-bulldogs-enter-race-for-daly-cherryevans-20150210-13az50.html)' by Adrian Proszenko, February 10, 2015 - 10:00PM

" Canterbury have emerged as the dark horse in the race for the signature of Daly Cherry-Evans in a development that clouds the future of grand final halfback Trent Hodkinson.

... it's understood Hasler has asked to have a final crack at Cherry-Evans before he commits anywhere.

The decisions of the Manly stars, who can command seven-figure-per-season price tags, will have huge ramifications for a number of clubs ... Maloney was one of the hottest players in 2013, earning a Blues jersey and piloting the Roosters to a premiership. However, the Roosters have put those negotiations on hold until the other cards fall. Gold Coast playmaker Sezer is keen to return to Sydney and the Roosters, through his manager, have been approached about the prospect of shifting to Bondi Junction .... he could be an option should Maloney depart "

Our priority should be to lock-up Elgey ASAP. Unless we have some good fortune around ownership/sponsers soon - I just can't see us landing DCE. I would also take Maloney over Sezer quite happily.

Wondered how long it would be before Hasler entered the fray. Based on the way he left Manly I wouldn't mind betting Hasler has been involved all the way. Interesting reference to Hodkinson - it was him leaving Manly that opened the door for DCE and now the situation might be reversed.
The comments about Sezer are the direct opposite to what he was quoted as saying recently about wanting to stay on the Coast but I would also take Maloney anyday. As for the Roosters putting negotiations with Maloney on hold until the other cards fall is mainly down to them as they are a massive player in the race for Foran.
As you say, Elgey needs to be locked away otherwise this could all end in tears.
But the whole thing is a bloody circus and it's crazy we are not even talking about the 2015 season. The biggest blight on the game in my opinion.

DavidBouveng
11-02-15, 12:09 AM
go for hodkinson then. he was my pick way back when prince was just beginning to struggle.

Hes no DCE, and the NSW thing is a step away from a home gown hero, but can we be picky?

Show and Go
11-02-15, 05:40 AM
We need to throw everything we've got at DCE. The club needs that face from QLD. It''ll be tough but hopefully we can pull it off. No issue letting Sezer go back to Sydney he is made of glass unfortunately.

Hail Sezer
11-02-15, 07:24 AM
This is hectic. Agree with the majority though..lock up Elgey ASAP and then work from there. I think that any other year, when all these halves weren't off contract and market hadn't frozen because of DCE and Foran...that Elgey would've been targeted far more heavily by this stage as a potential starter. He will show his worth after a few games in Qcup and his value will increase and then we'll find ourselves in a bidding war, no doubt

Also, relevant..

Gold Coast product Jordan Rankin wants to return from England to resurrect his NRL career

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2015/02/10/1227215/093730-1be7343c-b0d2-11e4-bc30-ab71fa641d7f.jpg

TRAVIS MEYN GOLD
COAST BULLETIN
FEBRUARY 11, 2015 12:00AM

FORMER Gold Coast wonderkid Jordan Rankin says he’s ready to return to the NRL after overcoming the mental weights which have bogged down his promising career.

Rankin’s name was etched in rugby league history when in 2008 he became the third youngest first grade debutant ever after ex-Titans coach John Cartwright thrust him into the NRL aged just 16 years and 238 days.

He was supposed to develop into one of the greatest Gold Coast league products ever. The Palm Beach Currumbin student was destined for big things.

But the fairytale didn’t pan out.

Rankin played just 17 NRL matches in six seasons at the Titans, eventually seeking a release to join Hull FC in the English Super League where his road to redemption started.

He managed 22 appearances for Hull last year, scoring nine tries and setting up 13 in an encouraging season which saw him feature mainly at halfback and five-eighth.

Aged 23, Rankin has been earmarked as a fullback this season and believes he’s ready to make the trip back to where it all began.

“I’ve learned a lot over the last year and evolved as a player,” he said from England.

“It was just good to play consistent high-level footy every week. That’s what I came over here to do.

“It gave me the opportunity to run a team and play footy every week which is what I need to do at this time of my career.

“At the Titans I played fullback one week then I was in the halves and then back at Burleigh and floating in and out of the under-20s.

“It was good to come over here and know if I performed well I’d have a spot for the next week.

“It’s really helped me build on my game every week.”

Rankin is off-contract at season’s end but has been offered a three-year contract extension by Hull which would see him stay in the northern hemisphere until the end of 2018.

While he’s enjoying his time in the Super League, he is already eyeing off a return to the NRL.

“I really enjoy the footy over here and it’s given me a new lease on life and how to play,” he said.

“It’s good to travel out of my comfort zone which is what I came over here to do but it’s not home. Home is where I find myself wanting to be in the future.

“I’ve got ambitions and goals to play in the NRL again. It’s something I really want to do.

“Coming over here has made me a better player and whatever chance I get to come back and play in the NRL I’ll take with two hands after the experience I’ve got over here in the last couple of years.”

Rankin would look at any NRL offer in positive light but the Gold Coast is where he wants to be.

He regularly visits family in his home town and made his intentions clear to Titans coach Neil Henry during a chance meeting recently.

“Neil’s a really good coach and good bloke. He’s produced some of the legends in the game and to be coached by someone like that would be an enormous thrill,” he said.

“I just said to him ‘if you’re looking for a half, I’m more than willing to come back and pull on the Titans jersey again’.

“When you’re born somewhere and there’s an NRL team and club you played for you’ve always got a soft spot for them.

“You never know what the future holds.”

Rankin’s NRL debut created a media storm.

The Australian Schoolboys captain was thrust into the spotlight for a cameo appearance off the bench but those 28 eye-catching minutes came with plenty of baggage.

“As a 16-year-old, you don’t learn all the stuff that comes with being a first grader,” he admitted

“You don’t learn it until you mature later in your career. I was still at school and trying to pave my way as a footballer as well as get an education.

“Hearing you’re the third youngest to ever play first grade sits in the back of your mind.

“That’s probably why I didn’t cement my spot at the Titans. I probably didn’t know what my best position was or how to handle myself in those high-pressure situations when it did come to playing first grade.

“I knew I had to get away from that, come over here and work on myself as a player.

“I’ve done what I came here to do. I just want to progress even more now and show I’m a different player to what I was before I left.”

Rankin missed the opening round of the Super League season last weekend because of a shoulder injury and is hoping to be back in the NRL by next year, according to his manager Tas Bartlett.

“He’s been offered a new deal over there which is exciting for him but his focus has always been to go there, develop his game and then come back to the NRL,” Bartlett said.

“There’s a bit of a stalemate with his new deal about an NRL clause being inserted. If we can sort that out he’ll probably ink a new deal.

“He’s enjoying it. It’s the best thing for him in terms of developing.

“We’ve seen players in the last few years go to England for two or three years then come back better equipped. They can come back and their games will be at another level.

“His priority is to be back home for 2016.”

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/gold-coast-product-jordan-rankin-wants-to-return-from-england-to-resurrect-his-nrl-career/story-fnj9yd9w-1227215093784?from=gold+coast+bulletin_rss

Titanic
11-02-15, 11:27 AM
Jordan is like Carter and needs to cool his jets and keep on learning.

TITAN PETE
11-02-15, 11:51 AM
I wish we could just be talking about footy & not have to hear all this crap, the teams involved will show the effects of Chinese whispers & rumours when the season begins ..

teke
11-02-15, 02:23 PM
Rankins talent was butchered by Carty, he has good talent but it wasn't at fb where the master coach gave him ample opportunities.

Hail Sezer
13-02-15, 07:37 AM
Article in RLW today saying that we are increasing our bid to DCE. No figures or anything though..

Also Mole reporting that Manly and a few other clubs want Sezer for 2016 - we already knew that though

TITAN PETE
13-02-15, 10:19 AM
Article in RLW today saying that we are increasing our bid to DCE. No figures or anything though..

Also Mole reporting that Manly and a few other clubs want Sezer for 2016 - we already knew that though

I spoke to Foran yesterday at Surfers & he's not leaving Manly & will be announced before the season kicks off & when i asked about DCE he said thats another story...looking for the best $

Titanic
13-02-15, 11:04 AM
I spoke to Foran yesterday at Surfers & he's not leaving Manly & will be announced before the season kicks off & when i asked about DCE he said thats another story...looking for the best $
Mate, you're in the wrong job :)

Wasn't sure where to post this, but like a lot of us I suppose, I've been following Luke Page's progress at the Raiders. He got a fair bit of stick, possibly warranted on here, but I was pleased to see that he's getting some good press down there and his admission that he didn't give it his all while with us was refreshingly honest ... good luck to him and Titan Dad.

TITAN PETE
13-02-15, 11:19 AM
Mate, you're in the wrong job :)

Wasn't sure where to post this, but like a lot of us I suppose, I've been following Luke Page's progress at the Raiders. He got a fair bit of stick, possibly warranted on here, but I was pleased to see that he's getting some good press down there and his admission that he didn't give it his all while with us was refreshingly honest ... good luck to him and Titan Dad.

Luke was a young angry front rower (the best type) but seemed to think he deserved a start in the top grade well before his time, playing 20's for a forward is probably 4 or 5 years before they are anywhere near ready for a 1st grade spot if they are good enough then..

Bayside Titan
13-02-15, 02:01 PM
Just saw this on Twitter Via the Lurker on his Friday wrap.

He could just be up here for the All Stars Game to watch.

Cherry on the Goldy
Daly Cherry-Evans is making a secret second visit to the Gold Coast this weekend as the Titans become the new favourites to sign the Manly superstar.
The mail for months is that DCE and his partner didn’t want to leave Sydney, but the Titans have put an offer to the pair they are finding hard to refuse.
So much so that after a trip to the holiday coast a few weeks back, they are heading back up there this weekend - on the quiet.
With its superb lifestyle and cheaper cost of living than Sydney, the Gold Coast can offer DCE and his young family plenty of positives.
And the Titans are putting together a marquee package that the classy halfback will find hard to knock back.
This weekend could make or break the deal as the Titans put their best offer - watch this space.

teke
13-02-15, 03:02 PM
I spoke to Foran yesterday at Surfers & he's not leaving Manly & will be announced before the season kicks off & when i asked about DCE he said thats another story...looking for the best $thats good to hear about Foran. I will get my mate at manly to push hard for Elgey if DCE comes here.

Bayside Titan
13-02-15, 03:08 PM
thats good to hear about Foran. I will get my mate at manly to push hard for Elgey if DCE comes here.

Nah we will Keep Elgey and Manly can have Morts and Sezer. . ;-)

Hail Sezer
13-02-15, 03:10 PM
Lol teke you talk so much rubbish

Mexican titan
13-02-15, 04:59 PM
Just saw this on Twitter Via the Lurker on his Friday wrap.

He could just be up here for the All Stars Game to watch.

So much so that after a trip to the holiday coast a few weeks back, they are heading back up there this weekend - on the quiet.
With its superb lifestyle and cheaper cost of living than Sydney, the Gold Coast can offer DCE and his young family plenty of positives.
And the Titans are putting together a marquee package that the classy halfback will find hard to knock back.
This weekend could make or break the deal as the Titans put their best offer - watch this space.

What rot. My rates here are dearer than my parents in Manly. Power and water is also more costly here. If he is getting 1 million plus per year, sure he is going to be worried about the cost of living. And superb lifestyle? - yep it's good here but the Northern Beaches of Sydney is pretty damn good as well. It looks if it will come down to money but I doubt if cost of living will be a factor.
Is the Lurker ever right?

teke
13-02-15, 07:05 PM
Lol teke you talk so much rubbishdef can back my talk up.

TitansFan92
13-02-15, 09:22 PM
I love it. You Manly guys aren't liking it now that losing DCE is becoming a reality. DCE for Sezer and Bird for Taumalolo will be a good start for me.

Mexican titan
13-02-15, 09:47 PM
I love it. You Manly guys aren't liking it now that losing DCE is becoming a reality. DCE for Sezer and Bird for Taumalolo will be a good start for me.

That's worth a thumbs down but I'm sure you are a good bloke!
As I have said I prefer Foran but I definitely want to keep both. If DCE leaves and it's still less than 50/50 he will, I hope he comes here as he would be great for the club.

DavidBouveng
13-02-15, 09:52 PM
him touring here is no indication of coming really.

could be him stressing manly to pump more dollars, could be just a little interested.

from memory, didnt we host Farah and Cam Smith at some point?

Hail Sezer
13-02-15, 09:56 PM
Unsure where to post this but Moseley is killing it for Indig All Stars at the moment!

Mexican titan
13-02-15, 10:03 PM
Unsure where to post this but Moseley is killing it for Indig All Stars at the moment!

In the All Stars thread HS!! It's only me and DH over there at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

him touring here is no indication of coming really.

could be him stressing manly to pump more dollars, could be just a little interested.

from memory, didnt we host Farah and Cam Smith at some point?

Hopefully the Titans have put him up at one of those sleazy motels at Labrador and that will be the end of that!

Hail Sezer
13-02-15, 10:04 PM

That would make sense really wouldn't it MT :laugh:

See you there

DavidBouveng
13-02-15, 11:40 PM

- - - Updated - - -

ha! mate i forgot whereabouts on the GC you are from? which suburb again?

Hopefully the Titans have put him up at one of those sleazy motels at Labrador and that will be the end of that!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

i keep quoting wrong ffs.

i been meaning to ask you whereabouts you live on the GC. ive forgotten.

Hail Sezer
14-02-15, 09:30 AM
Titans to issue Leva Li-feline

By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
NRL.com
8:00am Sat 14th February, 2015

http://www.nrl.com/Portals/NRL/images/40/40450_20_2.jpg

Former Wests Tigers and Parramatta under-20s winger Leva Li is set to continue his career on the Gold Coast with Titans coach Neil Henry earmarking him as a project for the future.

Li is one of four players who will turn out in a trial game between the Titans under-20s and Tweed Heads Seagulls on Saturday still hoping to earn a full-time NRL contract along with Jai Ingram, Agnatius Paasi and Damian Sironen.

Although the quartet were previously vying for two vacancies, Henry said the serious pectoral injury to Ben Ridge suffered in the trial against the Warriors last weekend may see three contracts handed out in the coming week.

Ingram would be the likely replacement for Ridge if Henry was to opt for like-for-like but Li's impressive performance against the Warriors and athletic frame has Henry excited about what he could bring to the team in future.

"He's a quiet kid, he's working hard and we're hopeful we can come to some sort of arrangement this week with him," Henry told NRL.com.

"Leva's not a kid who you say you're going to recruit now and he'll play 15 first grade games this year. He's straight out of Parramatta's NYC team playing centre and wing and we're saying he's a bit of a project for the future.

"If we can produce someone that's in our system for a year or two and steps up to first grade then that's going to be a bonus for us.

"We're not a particularly big backline. We don't have 105-kilo wingers. We've got a bit of speed there with 'Meady' (David Mead) and 'Zilly' (William Zillman) and 'Hoffy' (Josh Hoffman) has got a bit of size about him but we're not big through the centres and on the wings. He fits the bill physically for the future."

For 20-year-old Li, the chance to play in an NRL trial last weekend and further press his claims for a permanent position gives him hope that he can provide for his young family.

He has a two-year-old son and said that after receiving offers of only NSW Cup trial contracts in Sydney, was thrilled to finally step out in NRL company in Toowoomba for the Titans.

"That meant a lot to me. First NRL trial, so happy I got through uninjured, can't wait to play again," Li said.

"Hundred per cent, [that was] the most nervous I've ever felt! I was nervous maybe from the hotel; put the headphones on before anyone else while everyone else was still cruising.

"I was trying to calm myself down but it's the best feeling being nervous before a game, come out and get that first carry.

"For me, I had to approach it with everything I had. There's not many clubs out there that offered me much, all I had was maybe a NSW Cup pre-season and once this came up I just had to take it.

"Coming from a family that I come from, all struggle, my parents doing their best to help me out. I've got a twin too, he gave up on footy... It's the only thing I'm good at so if I can repay my parents I'll do my best to."

Ingram's fight to achieve his dream of playing in the NRL has also been hard fought and included under-20s stints at both Melbourne and the Bulldogs. He will play for Tweed in Saturday's trial at Cabarita and could be the beneficiary of the cruel injury to Ridge.

"'Ridgey' will be out for the first half of the season and that might open up the door for Jai Ingram a little bit because we've lost that back-rower. It does make us rethink whether or not Jai Ingram gets the opportunity to get a contract," Henry said.

"We'll make a decision on all these guys next week and it might end up that we end up signing three out of the four guys but Leva we see as part of the future at the moment.

"I'd have to say Agnatius Paasi played really well as well in the front row [against the Warriors]. He had a high work-rate and has worked hard to get his fitness in order and has maintained it and worked very hard since he's been here."

http://www.nrl.com/titans-to-issue-leva-li-feline/tabid/10874/newsid/83830/default.aspx

- - - Updated - - -

Looks as if Li, Ingram and Paasi will all receive contracts

Titan Crius
14-02-15, 10:01 AM
Agree HS, from that Article looks as if Li & Ingram are in for Contracts and between Paasi & Sironen and todays trial crucial for both. Paasi did play well at Toowoomba, but I was also impressed with Sironen and he did have big year for Tweed last year and their Player of the Year, will be interesting to see the result next week

Hail Sezer
14-02-15, 11:51 AM
Agree HS, from that Article looks as if Li & Ingram are in for Contracts and between Paasi & Sironen and todays trial crucial for both. Paasi did play well at Toowoomba, but I was also impressed with Sironen and he did have big year for Tweed last year and their Player of the Year, will be interesting to see the result next week

Tweeds player of the year vs Warriors NSW cup player of the year. Same position, completely different playing styles. A good battle for sure

Titanic
14-02-15, 12:56 PM
I disagree, I think we are stacked with backrowers and Henry is playing ducks and drakes ... Paasi, Sironen and Li for mine or Ingram in and Li with a development scholarship.

Bayside Titan
14-02-15, 11:58 PM
Just saw in Twitter that Matai will stay for another two years at Manly. No mention of money, but he wanted more money to set himself up with. So not sure what that means on retaining DCE and Foran.

Titanic
15-02-15, 11:22 AM
Would anybody be surprised if all three stayed?

Mexican titan
15-02-15, 06:35 PM
- - - Updated - - -

i keep quoting wrong ffs.

i been meaning to ask you whereabouts you live on the GC. ive forgotten.

Runaway Bay DB.

Bayside Titan
16-02-15, 06:26 PM
@chrisgarry1: Gold coast have signed trialist Agnatius Paasi.

Mexican titan
18-02-15, 04:39 PM
Just saw in Twitter that Matai will stay for another two years at Manly. No mention of money, but he wanted more money to set himself up with. So not sure what that means on retaining DCE and Foran.

Well you are right BT and about 5 days ahead of the official announcement which Manly have just done via an email to members.
Two to go:thumbsup:

TitansFan92
18-02-15, 04:49 PM
Well you are right BT and about 5 days ahead of the official announcement which Manly have just done via an email to members.
Two to go:thumbsup:

1 to go mate. Get it right DCE will be here in no time.

DIEHARD
18-02-15, 05:41 PM
Hope Manly paid some overs to help us get DCE.

Come on DCE the Titans need you!

Hail Sezer
19-02-15, 06:47 AM
Via Mole on twitter:

EXCLUSIVE in the Mole in @LeagueWeek today: Greg Bird likely to leave @GCTitans in 2016

DavidBouveng
19-02-15, 08:02 AM
Via Mole on twitter:

EXCLUSIVE in the Mole in @LeagueWeek today: Greg Bird likely to leave @GCTitans in 2016

are there going to be many tears over this?

JunctionBlock
19-02-15, 08:07 AM
I'd be happy if Carter was still around if Bird goes. Hope he can sort his issues out and get back to 1st grade.

Titanic
19-02-15, 01:00 PM
See ya Birdy and don't let the door hit you in the djin.

Hail Sezer
19-02-15, 08:10 PM
@brentread_7 Big news at Gold Coast Titans as well, with captain Nate Myles off contract and being shopped to rival clubs.

- - - Updated - - -

Birdy and Myles could both be on the way out come 2016.

Brent Read also raised the point as to whether DCE was offered captaincy if he came and therefore we were waiting for DCE's decision before pulling the trigger on Myles

K2G
19-02-15, 08:46 PM
Crazy considering Myles is championing the DCE signing so vocally. It would free up that Nappa $$ though...

JunctionBlock
19-02-15, 09:04 PM
I doubt there is an ounce of truth in the tweet. Just like Myles is looking for houses for DCE. You make one joke and a reporter picks it up and makes an entire story out of it.

Mexican titan
19-02-15, 10:01 PM
First to admit neither Myles or Bird have been great for us but geez we must be travelling ok if we can let two current Origin forwards go. I was/am hoping that these two would pick up with new coaching and a better atmosphere about the place.

Titan Crius
19-02-15, 10:08 PM
This Article was in RLW re DCE to Titans.
I am also a big fan of Myles & Bird and they have been fantastic for our Club & to have these 3 players at our club in next couple of years would be crucial to our growth, development and attracting other good NRL players - IMO

RLW Article:
AFL’s GARY Ablett is the biggest name in footy on the Gold Coast right now, but Daly Cherry-Evans can give him a real run for his money if he elects to sign with the Titans in 2016 and beyond.
If the 25-year-old Manly star joins the Gold Coast club he will become a superstar in a major metropolitan region of 600,000 people where rugby league has just one team.
Since the Titans rose from the ashes of previous franchises on the Glitter Strip in 2007, only Scott Prince has had the same drawing power that Cherry-Evans could command on and off the field.
Under coach Neil Henry there is a transformation under way at the Titans and Cherry-Evans can play a major role in plotting a chart to success in future years.
If he decides to head north, he will be joining a club that has moved on from the controversies over debt and governance to one that is planning a multi-million dollar state-of-the-art training facility under the direction of a new board and respected CEO in Graham Annesley.
Cherry-Evans has the talent and time on his side to be one of the greats of the game.
By accepting a lucrative offer from the Gold Coast he can not only set himself up for life financially, but also become a sporting icon in a major Australian city.
Cherry-Evans is now a marquee player in a market where there are a plethora of stars across multiple codes. But if he moved to the Gold Coast, only Ablett will be in his league.
He could become the most marketable league player in the game with a number of third-party options opening up to him.
The opportunities are there because DC-E is a family man who presents an image of quiet confidence and success. Fans will come through the gates to watch him and elite companies and media organisations should be only too happy to utilise his services.
Cherry-Evans’ partner Vessa is a Manly girl whose parents live not far from where the couple reside on the north shore.
But a move to the Gold Coast would see the couple retain that relaxed, beach atmosphere and Cherry-Evans’ parents also live in Brisbane.

The Sharks may well have a say in deciding his future, and no doubt other clubs are keen.
The Titans have made their offer and it is an impressive one from all accounts. But the Sea Eagles remain in the box seat to retain his services for several reasons.
Manly have reached the NRL semi-finals for the past 10 seasons and have won two grand finals in that time.
In the eight seasons of the Gold Coast’s existence they have made the finals only twice.
If it comes down to a choice between the two clubs, the Sea Eagles are streets ahead of the Titans when it comes to history, gravitas and status in the game.
Manly is also a club where players have had such a strong bond, and where the club culture is so tight, that the contractual controversies and boardroom shenanigans of the past have not impacted on-field results.

But the Titans best days must be ahead of them and Cherry-Evans can help create a golden age under a coach who has big plans to build the team into regular finalists.
It is a massive challenge. But it is one Ablett embraced at the Gold Coast Suns when he left powerhouse Geelong, and it is one Cherry-Evans can rise to as well.
- JOEL GOULD.