PDA

View Full Version : WE GOT HIM!!!!! Prince signs!

DeeGan
03-03-06, 11:40 AM
What a great day in our short history!!!!!

WESTS Tigers captain Scott Prince has agreed to a four-year deal with the Gold Coast Titans.

The Clive Churchill Medallist told his Tigers teammates and coach Tim Sheens this morning he would return to Queensland when his contract with the
premier finishes at the end of this season.

"This morning Scott has told the players and the coach and I've told the management that, yes, he will be going to the Gold Coast," said Prince's manager, Steve Robinson.

"He hasn't signed but he's agreed to a four-year deal with the Titans.

"It was important for him to get this thing out of the way and everyone can move on.

"Obviously there's disappointment at the Wests Tigers and it was a hard decision to make."

Halfback Prince, 26, joins internationals Luke Bailey and Brian Carney and five-eighth Preston Campbell as the Titans' marquee signings.

Kingytek
03-03-06, 11:44 AM
YEE HAW!
Go PRINCE you good thing!!!!!

Queenslander
03-03-06, 11:46 AM
WOO HOO!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Dakink
03-03-06, 11:48 AM
YES! We can now build around the quaity we have signed!

Super Cronk
03-03-06, 11:48 AM
i am so surprised......not.

Great signing by the titans...big loss for the tiges.

DeeGan
03-03-06, 11:59 AM
To say I am over the moon is an understatement, it is fair to say it is a little emotional at this end albeit for 5 minutes. Scott Prince is THE signing we had to make and a huge round of applause and THANKYOU to all involved in making this happen for the Gold Coast Titans.

Look at the make-up of the starting line-up right now:

1 -
2 - Matt Petersen
3 -
4 -
5 - Brian Carney
6 - Preston Campbell
7 - Scott Prince
8 - Luke Bailey
9 - Nathan Friend
10 -
11 - Anthony Laffranchi
12 -
13 - Luke O'Dwyer

From 5 to 8 is a "fantasy football" grouping for ANY team let along a new team making their debut in 2007!!!

The pieces are falling in to place and with the best off field team in the business steering the ship, we are going to hit the ground running in 2007 and push for a finals spot no question in my mind! Can we do a Melbourne Storm? Let's see what happens first though Big Kev (RIP) is not as excited as I am right now!

See you in 2007 Scott Prince!!!!

Let's hope the minority of so called Tigers fans give him a break and help him in enjoying his last season as a Tiger.

Kingytek
03-03-06, 12:01 PM
From what I have reado so far on the Tigers site they are all quite happy for him and well wished all around. Thats great sportsmanship!

DeeGan
03-03-06, 12:03 PM
From what I have reado so far on the Tigers site they are all quite happy for him and well wished all around. Thats great sportsmanship!

Awesome, the majority of Wests Tigers fans are amongst the best in the NRL no question, like any club, a minority can spoil it. Great to read though :D

Research Station Drive
03-03-06, 12:08 PM
Fantastic news.

It's all coming together nicely.

Wests are really going to struggle losing Prince! There's not much halfback talent on the market.

robrabbitoh
03-03-06, 12:12 PM
worst keeped secret he was always gonna sign and based on a family decision

Dakink
03-03-06, 12:17 PM
We arelooking Great for the '07!!!

This is fantastic news and something for the club as a whole to build on. Should make singing other players that bit easier. Bailer, Prince, Carney!!! Hopefully players will sign for less to play with players like them!

Kingytek
03-03-06, 12:20 PM
The Prince\Laffranchi combo will work wonders. They know each other style of play!!!

DIEHARD
03-03-06, 12:21 PM
This is fantastic news! Thank you Scott! Thank you Titans!

We will be a huge force in 2007 with Preston and Scott leading us around. Prince will bring so much interest and fans to the Titans.

I just got up and switched on the news. And I thought wouldn't it be fantastic if when the sports headlines come on one of them was "Scott Prince signs with the Gold Coast Titans" and it was!

Amazing! This is a huge day for the Gold Coast!

DeeGan
03-03-06, 12:25 PM

This is fantastic news and something for the club as a whole to build on. Should make singing other players that bit easier. Bailer, Prince, Carney!!! Hopefully players will sign for less to play with players like them!

That is exactly it Dakink, the big four signings of Prince, Bailey, Campbell and Carney are players we can build around attracting players to the club who would be willing to sign for less for two reasons;

1. The lifestyle and

2. The calibre of talent on and off the field with the Titans

What's next for us? Signing Billy Johnstone!

mb63
03-03-06, 12:28 PM
Great coup.Side is really taking shape to be a very competitive team in 2007.

lonegull
03-03-06, 12:28 PM
just goes to show money isnt everything in rugby league scott has out his family first before the monet because the tigers deal was worth a lot more than the titans godd on ya scottie :thumbsup:

Titanium_BD1103
03-03-06, 12:30 PM
YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY.. OMG WHAT ELSE CAN I SAY WOOOHOOOOOOOO.... :D :D :D

This is the dream signing of the Gold Coast and will make for a very strong halves combination in 2007, CONGRATS TO THE TITANS and well done for the way they handled things.. and lets hope that Scott has a great season to come and we can get a great player and make him the toast of the town in 2007.. :)

NOW IT IS TIME TO PARTY.. :D :D

DeeGan
03-03-06, 12:43 PM
We should see a media conference from Michael around 1.30pm re: the signing. Keep your eyes and ears out for it - the big fella will the one with the smile from "ear to ear" :D

lonegull
03-03-06, 12:43 PM
I hope the management cracks open a bottle of bubbly because they bloody deserve it i will be having a coldie for the titans management this arvo. go the titans you beauty

DeeGan
03-03-06, 12:45 PM
I hope the management cracks open a bottle of bubbly because they bloody deserve it i will be having a coldie for the titans management this arvo. go the titans you beauty

Yep, my lunch will be an extended one this afternoon before heading out tonight to toast the signing :D

toddy
03-03-06, 12:47 PM
Now we need a quality fullback and the nucleus is complete.

Dakink
03-03-06, 01:03 PM
Is Clint Greenshields signed up yet - was outstanding for the Dragons last year!

DeeGan
03-03-06, 01:04 PM
Is Clint Greenshields signed up yet - was outstanding for the Dragons last year!

He is available for 2007 at this point unless signed up between now and June 30, 2006 by the Dragons.

DIEHARD
03-03-06, 02:35 PM
How lucky are we that we didn't have to wait until half way through the year for this fantastic news!

I think having him on board will also help bring other players to the Titans come June 30.

Moejoe
03-03-06, 03:05 PM
This is awsome news...Finanly our side is starting to take shape....

Wont be long now untill we know who our 07' squad is.

Congratulations to all involved in this historical signing.

Slaytera
03-03-06, 03:08 PM
Oh, HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!. 2007 Year of the Titans

Titans#1
03-03-06, 03:10 PM
This from yahoo7.com.au

Prince takes punt on Gold Coast
Date: 03/03/06
By Daniel Pace

Scott Prince's manager says the Wests Tigers captain has risked his NRL career by agreeing to a four-year deal with the Gold Coast Titans.

Steve Robinson also pleaded with the Titans to aggressively chase more top class internationals to build on their current roster for the 2007 season and beyond.

Halfback Prince, 26, told his Tigers teammates and coach Tim Sheens he would return to Queensland when his contract with the premiers finishes at the end of this season.

The Clive Churchill medallist has agreed to a deal worth a reported $1.4 million - about $100,000 less per season than he would receive at the Tigers.

"There's a lot of pressure now on him to keep his career on track," Robinson told AAP.

"He's never been short of a challenge. He knows he's putting his career on the line."

Robinson implored the Titans to further boost their depth following the recruitment of internationals Luke Bailey and Brian Carney and Penrith five-eighth Preston Campbell, who will partner Prince in the halves next year.

"We just hope these guys (the Titans), through getting Scott's signature, can now find and sign some reasonably good players to go with it," Robinson added.

"You'd like to think they can now start to really push ahead to build on what they've got.

"It'll be a little disappointing if they don't but we can't do much about that at this stage.

"That's up to the club to do the right thing."

Robinson insisted money was never an issue for Prince in joining the fledgling Gold Coast franchise.

"I never had to go in and bang any tables talking about dollars and cents," Robinson pointed out.

"I only spoke to the Titans yesterday about dollars and cents and how long's this (the negotiations) been going on?

"The money is there but it's not the issue. The money he's been offered from both places is comparable to his standing in the game."

The Tigers gave Prince permission to negotiate with the three Queensland clubs to sort out his future before the season started on March 10 but Brisbane and North Queensland dropped out of the race after expressing concerns over the negotiation process.

Prince, who had stints with both the Broncos and the Cowboys before signing with Wests at the end of 2003, has always said he wants to move back to Queensland.

"In the end the Sydney way of things ... I wouldn't say it's been difficult but he's never really wanted to live here," Robinson said.

"The Wests Tigers have been terrific to him, no question about it, and I think they've been good for each other.

"But there's always going to be a winner and a loser and the lure to come back to Queensland was too strong.

"There's nothing down here that he's got any problems with other than Sydney itself.

"Club-wise, player-wise, coach-wise, there's nothing here at the Tigers you can put a finger on why he's going home."

qld power
03-03-06, 03:21 PM
awsome news

TITAN PETE
03-03-06, 03:22 PM
BRILLIANT NEWS !

I'd be happy if we could grab someone like Greensheilds but if we could get a pair of "MATTS" (King & Cooper) that would something special !!

To dream is good :roll: !

Bring on 07

Pete

Dakink
03-03-06, 03:40 PM
Too late Cooper has already signed with the Dragons and is STAYING PUT!

Steelers
03-03-06, 03:43 PM
What a signing, this is a big day for the Titans

The Original Idiot
03-03-06, 05:40 PM
Good to see you again Steelers. Fantastic news for the club.

Queenslander
03-03-06, 06:09 PM
From the titans website

Titans crown a Prince!

The Gold Coast Titans? recruitment program has hit top gear with the news that Tigers? Telstra NRL Premiership winning captain Scott Prince has accepted a four year contract to move to Queensland and play for the team starting in its? inaugural season in 2007.

Prince spent much of February contemplating the change after seeking approval from Wests Tigers to investigate contract options with the Cowboys, Broncos, and NRL newcomers the Gold Coast Titans

Prince said, ?It is a relief to have made this decision in many ways. The first is that I now have clarity about my future in particular this year and my commitment to the Tigers and that means I can focus on the Tigers NRL campaign. My fianc?e Kristy and I can plan in advance to move our family back to Queensland and I am very excited about being a part of the Titans as a start up club next year.?

Speculation has been rife in recent weeks about where Prince would end up. The decision made even harder for the champion halfback as he pondered leaving the team he led to glory in the 2005 NRL Telstra Premiership.

?This decision was always going to be a tough one but in the end it was my family that won out. Kristy and I had always planned to move back home to Queensland in the future and the opportunity with the Titans brought that forward,? said Prince

The news has sent a wave of excitement through the Titans administration and management team. The fledgling club set to benefit in many ways from the signing of one of the best half backs in the world.

Managing Director Michael Searle said, ?This is a great result for not only the Gold Coast Titans but equally for Queensland and will lead to even greater interest in the club from sponsors and supporters. We see the NRL?s 16th team expansion as an opportunity to bring Queenslanders back to play in front of their families and I am so happy for Scott and Kristy and their children. I am sure no Rugby League fan would begrudge a young man bringing his family home to Queensland.?

Prince?s signature is expected to assist the Titans in its? recruitment program adding a key component to the calibre of players already signed.

?Scott Prince is an important signing that will create player credibility in the market for the Titans. It lays an important platform for us to build the best possible squad for season 2007. We do, however, have a significant amount of work to do before we feel comfortable about our squad and it?s competitiveness in 2007.?

Prince informed Coach Tim Sheens and his team mates of the decision at Tigers training this morning while Player Manager Steve Robinson advised the club management of Prince?s intentions.

Coach John Cartwright said, ?He?s a Queensland boy returning home and he is a perfect fit for the club both on and off the field. I have every confidence that Scott Prince will be the cornerstone of our club for the term of his four year contract?

Football Manager Scott Sattler a personal friend of Prince believes his former team mate will thrive on the Gold Coast.

?I can?t help feeling that Scott will be right in his element here. It?s like all the pieces of the jig saw will fit for him here in that his family will be happy to be home and this will mean he will continue to hit the good form we have seen from him in the past couple of years?, said Sattler.

Searle also paid tribute to West Tigers management and the way that they have handled the situation.

?We would like to acknowledge the professionalism and integrity of Steve Noyce and Tim Sheens and the West Tigers? administration. They obviously highly regard the importance of the player and his family?s welfare and we would like to endorse the open and honest approach to this delicate issue.?

Steve Dangerous
03-03-06, 06:13 PM
amazing news.

beyond awesome. i can't believe we're going to have such a strong team in our first year. with a base like this it's more of a storm-entry than say a cowboys-entry.

[BroncosGirl]
03-03-06, 06:30 PM
This is great news, looking good for the Titans. Good to see Prince will be back in QLD again :D

Steelers
03-03-06, 06:31 PM
Good to see you again Steelers.

Thanks mate I have been in a battle with Bigpond for the last 2 weeks about my ADSL connection. They kept on telling me on the phone that it was working fine, even though I couldn't connect to the net. Finally, today after school, I came home and saw that my DSL light on my modem was on :D

dean
03-03-06, 07:01 PM
Congratulations to all involved in securing the services of Scott Prince.YEEHAA!!! What an awesome asset for the MIGHTY TITANS and their legion of fans, a major drawcard for aspiring young talent to be lured to the coast.Bailey,Campbell,Carney, Friend, Laffranchi, Odwyer and now Prince.Everyone i talk to is abuzz with excitement for season 2007 and prince is the icing on the cake.WELL DONE TITANS .Bring on 2007, Can't wait YEEHAA!!!

Luke
03-03-06, 07:08 PM
Good news for all Titan fans.

Dakink
03-03-06, 09:03 PM
Thanks mate I have been in a battle with Bigpond for the last 2 weeks about my ADSL connection. They kept on telling me on the phone that it was working fine, even though I couldn't connect to the net. Finally, today after school, I came home and saw that my DSL light on my modem was on :D

And here I was thinking you musta been on detention or something... :naughty:

sinkn annie
03-03-06, 09:57 PM

Pretty excited for a saints fan..... :ok:

Dakink
03-03-06, 10:05 PM
Hehe Titans arent too far behind!!

Cliffy GC
04-03-06, 03:12 AM
awesome work

i cannot believe how good an operator Micheal Searle is

if they can fill the rest of the 25 man squad with some quality top 8 spot beackons in 2007

figjam
04-03-06, 05:50 AM
Congrats on signing a champ, Scotty is a great player I hope he goes well with you guys.
I'm a tiger supporter and in my eyes family will always come first naturaly I would have loved to have seen Scotty stay with the tigers but life goes on.
I now have 2 teams to watch the tigers and the titans. :)
Bring on 2007.

Dakink
04-03-06, 09:41 AM
Hey Figjam!! thanks for your kind words! Hope you stick around to watch Scott at the Titans and I hope you join us here regularly at the Titans!

Queenslander
04-03-06, 10:21 AM
Prince favours family over fortune
By Stuart Honeysett
March 4, 2006

NEW Gold Coast recruit Scott Prince said yesterday a desire to return to his home state overpowered anything Wests Tigers could offer - including the captaincy and at least an extra $50,000 a year.

The Tigers halfback confirmed the game's worst-kept secret when he announced he was turning his back on the joint-venture club he won a premiership with last year to become the Titans' latest big-name signing.

The Tigers responded by stripping Prince of the captaincy, as the club had foreshadowed.

A replacement is yet to be named but the Brett Hodgson is the early favourite, with Ben Galea, Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah contenders.

Prince will see out the year with the Tigers before joining the Gold Coast for four seasons when it enters the NRL as the 16th team in 2007.

"I thought long and hard about it," Prince said. "It was probably one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to face.

"(But) I said it before I got to the Tigers - three years was how long I signed here for and the plan was to stay here for three years and move back to Queensland.

"The things that have happened over the last two years have been unbelievable, not only for myself but for the team and the Tigers.

"It's certainly something I found very hard to get up and walk away from but the urge to go back to Queensland was just too strong in the end."

Prince had already made up his mind he wanted to be a Titan by the time Wests Tigers chairman Warren McDonnell indicated to Prince's manager the club would match Gold Coast's offer - believed to be worth $1.4 million over four years.

The Australian reported this week that Wests Tigers would also offer Prince one of its two third-party agreements worth up to $50,000 a year to sweeten the pot, but negotiations didn't progress to that stage.

It was an offer the Titans could not have matched after they offered TPAs (money that can be earned through sponsorship dollars outside the salary cap) to their first two signings: Preston Campbell and Luke Bailey.

"It's not about the cash, it's about the family," Prince said of a pledge he made to his wife Kristy that they would eventually return home to Queensland to be closer to their families.

"The football; I look at that as a very major challenge. Going to a new team, new franchise, being a part of that and hopefully changing the history of what it's all about up at the Gold Coast.

"They haven't got a good rap in terms of past teams that have been on the Coast, so that's a good challenge."

Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce admitted he gambled in allowing Prince to negotiate with Queensland-only clubs before the June 30 anti-tampering deadline.

"I don't think it's a financial decision in the end," Noyce said. "It's come down to a lifestyle/family decision, so while I'm disappointed with that you've got to respect it."

There had been speculation Prince would lose the captaincy if he signed with Gold Coast, but the 26-year-old maintained the decision to stand down was a mutual one between him and coach Tim Sheens.

"We both brought it up, it was on my mind and his," Prince said of his meeting with Sheens over the captaincy.

"We spoke briefly about it, but I think it's in the good interests of the club and for the team and for myself.

"Whoever he chooses I'm going to support 100 per cent and it's not going to change me as a player."

Prince said he had spoken briefly to Titans officials about being the club's inaugural captain but there had been no formal offer.

Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle said any call on the captaincy would be made by coach John Cartwright.

"We've always been pretty open with him to say he's got all the qualities of a leader," Searle said.

"We don't see that the captaincy is one person. You've now got a leadership panel in football sides.

"We've got players like Luke Bailey, Brian Carney and Preston Campbell in the side and they're all leaders."

Prince said the public criticism he endured during negotiations from Tigers director Ben Elias and former players Tom Raudonikis and Les Boyd had no bearing on his decision.

Prince said things were looking up for the club's opening game, against St George-Illawarra at Telstra Stadium on Friday night, following concerns he raised that the team had an attitude problem.

"It's certainly something we discussed and it starts on the training paddock ... we took a step forward on Monday," Prince said.

"From my point of view, my future's all sorted and now I can concentrate on 2006 with the Tigers. Playing good, consistent football is the way to go and leave here on a good note."

The Australian

Queenslander
04-03-06, 10:25 AM
Prince coup for Titans
Steve Ricketts
04mar06

THE last man to assemble a Queensland NRL team from scratch has urged patience from Gold Coast Titans fans despite the signing of Test halfback Scott Prince on a four-year $1.4 million deal.

Kerry Boustead, who was given the task of building the North Queensland Cowboys from scratch in 1995, yesterday said the Titans' depth would be found wanting in its early years and the loyalty of the fans would be tested.

"I hope the Titans are competitive but I wouldn't be putting too much money on them in the first two or three years," Boustead said.

"If they struggle it will be interesting to see what sort of crowds they get because there are so many counter attractions on the Gold Coast. It's not like Townsville."

Boustead put the Cowboys together at the same time as Darryl Van de Velde built the South Queensland Crushers for their brief life in the national competition.

Boustead did not have the luxury of "marquee" players like Prince and Test prop Luke Bailey, who have signed for the Titans, with veterans Martin Bella and Laurie Spina his two biggest recruits.

Titans managing director Michael Searle acknowledged the club needed to recruit 30 players with NRL experience for 2007 to ensure it had reasonable depth.

Most of those signings will be made after the June 30 anti-tampering deadline and the signing of Prince has made the job a lot easier.

"Scott's signing will create player credibility in the market for us," Searle said.

Coach John Cartwright said Prince was the perfect fit for the club.

"He's the Queensland boy returning home," Cartwright said.

Prince is set to be named Titans captain but his decision to quit the Tigers has cost him the captaincy at the NRL premiers.

Tigers coach Tim Sheens is furious with Prince, who was controversially handed the captaincy over veteran forward Mark O'Neill last year.

Prince hinted yesterday it was a mutual arrangement but there is little doubt he was sacked. Sheens has yet to name his successor.

A former Cowboys and Broncos player, Prince said leaving the Tigers was one of his toughest decisions and in the end it came down to family and lifestyle rather than money. "Purely and simply it was time to go home," he said. "The urge to go back to Queensland was just too strong in the end."

Prince received an offer from Wests Tigers on Thursday and yesterday morning told teammates before training he would be joining the Titans.

Prince's manager Steve Robinson said Prince wanted to get it out of the way as soon as possible so he could focus on Friday's season opener against St George Illawarra at Telstra Stadium.

The Tigers are likely to pursue the signing of an experienced halfback but the most exciting prospect from within their own ranks is Rangi Chase, who played halfback for Keebra Park High on the Gold Coast inside current Wests Tigers ace Benji Marshall.

Tigers prop Anthony Laffranchi is also committed to the Gold Coast in 2007 and Broncos prop Ben Hannant, a Burleigh Bears product, is seen as another target.

But Hannant, who signed for only one year at the Broncos after leaving the Roosters, hopes to sign a new longer term with Brisbane before June 30.

Broncos skipper Darren Lockyer yesterday described Hannant as one of the club's best in the trials and he is certain to be in the 17 for the round 1 match against North Queensland at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow week.

The Courier Mail

Dakink
04-03-06, 10:35 AM
Sheens was furious? Shouldnt have let him negotiate then. I think they mave have been a little journalists preogative. He may have been unhappy but I doubt he was furious!

TITANS007
04-03-06, 10:35 AM
Way to go Titans! Awesome signing in Scott Prince. 2007 is looking better and better!

DeeGan
04-03-06, 10:37 AM
IF Sheens was furious he could of advised the Tigers to not allow Prince to negotiate before JUNE 30 - simple as that.

Was Sheens so confident in re-signing his halfback that he saw this as good public relations in allowing Prince to "talk"? Very naive way of thinking Mr Sheens when Prince has continually stated he was coming down south for a 3 year period before looking to head home.

Dakink
04-03-06, 10:38 AM
I think journalistic "license" was employed here.

DeeGan
04-03-06, 10:40 AM

Agreed - hence the IF.

Queenslander
04-03-06, 10:41 AM

I think you are right; this whole section seems all new to me:

Prince is set to be named Titans captain but his decision to quit the Tigers has cost him the captaincy at the NRL premiers.

Tigers coach Tim Sheens is furious with Prince, who was controversially handed the captaincy over veteran forward Mark O'Neill last year.

Prince hinted yesterday it was a mutual arrangement but there is little doubt he was sacked. Sheens has yet to name his successor.

Have the Tigers actually said that he has lost the captaincy?

DeeGan
04-03-06, 10:45 AM
Prince stood down from the Tigers captaincy - the tip is Brett Hodgson will take over the reigns.

Queenslander
04-03-06, 10:50 AM
Prince stood down from the Tigers captaincy - the tip is Brett Hodgson will take over the reigns.

Ah I see, I must have been overlooking that in all the articles :D

Sharks
05-03-06, 08:35 AM
Prince and Campbell as the halves,i cant ****ing wait for 2007!!!