PDA

View Full Version : Luke Bailey hints the end is near

K2G
21-08-14, 11:18 PM
Milestone man Luke Bailey hints the end of his NRL career with the Gold Coast is near

TRAVIS MEYN THE | COURIER-MAIL (http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/milestone-man-luke-bailey-hints-the-end-of-his-nrl-career-with-the-gold-coast-is-near/story-fniabrr8-1227032119292)| AUGUST 22, 2014 12:00AM

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2014/08/21/1227032/119684-d79a68e6-28f3-11e4-a134-cf54b9daa685.jpg

TITANS bookend Luke Bailey has hinted his NRL career could be nearing the end as he prepares for another milestone in what’s been an illustrious career.

Bailey will become just the second player to notch 150 appearances for the Titans when he runs out against former club St George-Illawarra at WIN Jubilee Oval on Sunday.

It’s a triple milestone event for the club with co-captain Greg Bird playing his 200th NRL match and new halfback Daniel Mortimer notching his 100th.

Bailey is off-contract this season and has been left in limbo following the recent resignation of foundation coach John Cartwright with the Titans yet to appoint a successor.

It will be the 34-year-old’s 269th NRL appearance in a 15-season career which has also included 15 Origins for NSW and four Tests.

And the evergreen prop, whose form has rarely floundered since debuting in 2000, said he was expecting to finalise his future this week.

“A lot of stuff’s going on so I’ll have something by the end of the week,” he said.

“I’ll speak to whoever’s in charge and we’ll make a decision.

“It’s a business. You’ve got to be prepared for that (uncertainty).

“You can point fingers and hate all you like but at the end of the day it’s a business.

“I’m still enjoying my time here.

“I would have liked to have something sorted out earlier but it was really up to me to see how I was feeling towards the end of the season.

“It’s a little bit late now but we’ll work something out soon.”

If Bailey retires, it will officially be the end of an era for the Titans after the only other remaining foundation player, Mark Minichiello, last week announced he was heading to Hull FC in the English Super League.

The 107kg front-rower’s longevity has been amazing with Bird claiming his form was good as the days when he as a Blues mainstay.

Bailey put it down to an evolving attitude in his approach to the game and pleaded with the new brigade to not take their opportunities for granted.

“It’s not about just calling yourself a footy player,” he said.

“You get paid to win games, put bums on seats and win a grand final.

“Before my time’s up I want to get across to these guys not to waste their time.

“I’ve played a long time and a lot of first grade.

“Hopefully we’ve left a bit of a legacy here when me and Mini go.”

It’s taken Bird a while to reach the double century after he debuted for Cronulla in 2002.

The 30-year-old spent a season in the English Super League and said he was determined to taste premiership success on the Gold Coast.

“I’ve still got high hopes of this club moving forward,” he said.

“It’s been a rough couple of years and I know potentially this side can mix it with the good teams.

“It’s just doing it every week and with a few fresh faces hopefully we can take that extra step and play finals football.”

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2014/08/21/1227032/119546-d6aa3ee8-28f3-11e4-a134-cf54b9daa685.jpg

TITAN PETE
22-08-14, 05:14 AM
Bails should replace Gilly

lonegull
22-08-14, 07:07 AM
Bails should replace Gilly

Yep couldn't agree more, perfect candidate

Titan4Life
22-08-14, 07:15 AM
Bull stills gets the metres and tackles but just doesn't offer much in attack. He should definitely be doing some sort of coaching role with the forwards.

JunctionBlock
22-08-14, 08:36 AM
I hope he gets another year. He puts bums on seats, he plays longer and harder than his juniors, he's an icon for the Titans. He's the only person my wife yells out and cheers "Bull" when he gets the ball (even if it is Mathew White half the time).

Titanic
22-08-14, 10:27 AM
Mixed feelings ... I would like him to play one more if only he would not take "quick" taps and he definitely will bring something to the coaching team once he does hang them up.