PDA

View Full Version : Titans: If we sign Scott Prince, should he be captain?

DeeGan
03-03-06, 10:42 AM
Titans: If we sign Scott Prince, should he be captain?

I am of the opinion that Monday or Tuesday next week Scott Prince will make a decision on his future - he either play out his career as a Tiger or Titan. Being a passionate Gold Coast fan, we know where my preference lies, though if we miss out on him we move on and look at other options on the market.

IF we sign Prince though, should he be made our captain straight away?

Look forward to your opinions here.

Queenslander
03-03-06, 10:44 AM
Well simply yes for me. Prince is an experience Grand Final winning captain and im sure that all the team will follow in his example both on and off field. But I think the Titans should wait until the end of this season to announce the captain so that there isnt any other pressure on Prince at the Tigers.

Dakink
03-03-06, 10:45 AM
Im not sure - you couldnt name him captain straight away could you? Perhaps that was part of the deal....

We have a forward leader in Bailey, perhaps you could name him straight away. Though that takes that carrott out of play if you want to entice another player down the track that has captain qualities that may not be on the radar right now.

DeeGan
03-03-06, 11:20 AM
I voted YES.

I think it is important to appoint Scott Prince IF signed as he then becomes the "face" of the Titans player wise and players signed in the future know exactly where they stand when it comes to who will be their captain on/off the field in 2007 and beyond. A premiership winning captain instills confidence and any new player seeing Prince leave a on the up club in the Wests Tigers for a new franchise knows in the back of his head that Prince would not go to a diabolical situation.

Appointing Prince also ends any speculation throughout the NRL season where bored journalists will ask the question "will you be captaining the Titans in 2007?" which will be a distraction. If we get it out of the way we let Prince do what he does best that being play rugby league.

Super Cronk
03-03-06, 11:22 AM
Not if, WHEN.

I think yes aswell. I think alot of young guys would have alot of respect for Prince he has played some great footy and leads by example.

Queenslander
03-03-06, 11:29 AM
I think the Titans should be very careful in the way they use Prince (if he is signed) during this season. He is still at the Tigers and there will be huge pressure from all angles at the Tigers; and this could affect his on field performance.

The Saturday Daily Telegraph understands four-time premiership-winning coach Sheens will seriously consider dumping Prince as Tigers leader if he snubs Wests in favour of the Gold Coast.

DeeGan
03-03-06, 11:37 AM
The above doesn't surprise me, Prince did inherit the job from O'Neill in 2005 - he won't hesitate to do the same again in 2006 I guess.

I am sure we as a club will put Scott first in anything we do in announcing the signing IF we secure the contract.

On second thoughts, the Titans might just as well simply release a statement informing the media that no decision on the Titans captaincy will be made until the 2006 off-season.

Queenslander
03-03-06, 11:48 AM
The above doesn't surprise me, Prince did inherit the job from O'Neill in 2005 - he won't hesitate to do the same again in 2006 I guess.

I am sure we as a club will put Scott first in anything we do in announcing the signing IF we secure the contract.

On second thoughts, the Titans might just as well simply release a statement informing the media that no decision on the Titans captaincy will be made until the 2006 off-season.

Im sure the club will do what is best for Scott Prince seeing that he is their top signing so far.

mb63
03-03-06, 12:33 PM
I would go with Preston Campbell as the 1st skipper & think he would do a great job.

lonegull
03-03-06, 12:33 PM
I voted yes because scott prince is a franchise player who the titans will build there side around and he is not that old so i reckon go scotty for captain and plus he plays the right position for captain always in the thick of things

Titanium_BD1103
03-03-06, 12:40 PM
I am undecided as of yet. At present Preston has been offered the job... if I am right about that.. but Prince would be a great captain and has shown his leadership in leading the Tigers to a premiership.

HOWEVER as everyone is saying Bailey maybe an option or others, so I reckon we wait till end of the season and let fate decide... I AM JUST HAPPY HE SIGNED WITH US.. :D :D

DeeGan
03-03-06, 12:47 PM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,5001,5116329,00.jpg

Come on members - poll your vote!!!! :D

Is this our captain for 2007 and beyond?

Steelers
03-03-06, 03:55 PM
I said NO, because wasn't Preston Campbell promised the captaincy when he signed? I dunno, my memory is bad. Otherwise, I am unsure.

DeeGan
03-03-06, 11:15 PM
I said NO, because wasn't Preston Campbell promised the captaincy when he signed? I dunno, my memory is bad. Otherwise, I am unsure.

Welcome back Steelers ;) No, Presto was not promised the captaincy.

Steve Dangerous
04-03-06, 12:04 AM
i think campbell, prince, and bailey could all be a fine captain potentially. i'd go for prince at this stage, though. although i'm sure on the field a lot of the boys will be leading with their actions and gameplay regardless.

TITANS007
04-03-06, 09:04 AM
I think Princey definately should get the Captaincy nod, however not to announce it until the team gets together to meet in the off season. He is a quality player who has signed a long term deal with the Titans. He leads the boys on the field and has proven to be well liked and respected across the board and is great with the media. I think he will be as inspirational a leader for the Titans as he was for the Tigers in 2005. He seems to relish the role. Well done Titans for getting the most important signature of them all!!

Dakink
04-03-06, 09:33 AM
I dont think Campbell is captaincy material. I would lean towards Bailey or Prince AT THIs stage. No ned to name it no though.