PDA

View Full Version : James Roberts reminds Greg Bird of a young Greg Inglis

K2G
26-07-14, 12:30 AM
Gold Coast flyer James Roberts reminds Greg Bird of a young Greg Inglis

CHRIS GARRY THE COURIER-MAIL (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/gold-coast-flyer-james-roberts-reminds-greg-bird-of-a-young-greg-inglis/story-fni3grk4-1227001855325) JULY 26, 2014

JAMES Roberts is already the fastest man on the Gold Coast and Titans captain Greg Bird has even compared him to a young Greg Inglis.

Bird declared the Northern Rivers talent could be anything and if last week’s scintillating performance against Newcastle is repeated even semi-regularly, Bird will be right.

Roberts, the 21-year-old nephew of ex-St George speedster Amos, showed last week he possessed an even greater attacking threat than the man he effectively replaced, Jamal Idris.

In the Titans shock win over Newcastle, Roberts caught the ball in his own 20 metre zone, palmed off Joseph Leilua then ran around flyer Jake Mamo in a 50m burst that set up Anthony Don for a try.

Mamo, 20, is considered one of rugby league’s fastest men and Roberts burned him.

Bird said Roberts’ pure athleticism sparked memories of when he first laid eyes on a skinny Inglis slashing down Melbourne Storm’s wing.

“I remember seeing Greg Inglis play a long time ago ... and James has the same Indigenous skinny long legs and he’s also fast, big, strong,” Bird said.

“He needs to keep a level head and I am sure he will play representative footy.

“He’s all class. You saw the try he set up on the weekend.

“He’s still quite green but I am sure as he plays more football we will see more consistent 80 minute performances.

“We have seen flashes of brilliance from him but I know he will be a star of the future.”

Roberts will be unleashed at CBus Super Stadium on Saturday against the Parramatta Eels in what promises to be a high scoring affair.

The Titans have an awful home record this season while the Eels have an awful away record.

Something has to give and Roberts looms as the man to take advantage in the centres.

Roberts has not been timed in a sprint since high school and has little memory of the athletics background that shaped his blinding speed.

“Well put it this way, I always won the race,” Roberts said.

“It is good to be fast. Can’t train speed.

“As a 14-year-old I did 11 (seconds) flat but that was the last time I was timed and that was Year 8 I think.

“I loved doing athletics but it was just for fun.”

In an ominous warning for rivals, Roberts is far from top speed following repeated ankle injuries.

"Nah, nowhere near yet,” Roberts said.

“I am still trying to not get injured. It (ankle) still tightens up.

“I am slowly getting it back.

“I reckon last year in the pre-season that’s when I felt the fastest. It has been unfortunate the injuries.

“I am feeling more comfortable each week and I’m enjoying being at the Titans.

“If we win this week we are in the top eight. It is a huge game. I haven’t won here at home yet.”

Roberts made his NRL debut for South Sydney one month after his 18th birthday.

He didn’t taste first grade again until the middle of last year when he scored six tries in six games for Penrith.

One of those games was a 40-18 thrashing of the Titans, in which Roberts scored three tries and Gold Coast coach John Cartwright wondered how potent his team could be with the speedster in the centres.

It only took him 12 months to find out.

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2014/07/25/1227001/853935-8e8e6d1c-13c4-11e4-9633-5d2eb5bc90d6.jpg

mup23
26-07-14, 12:42 AM
Why aren't clubs doing timed 100m sprints?

teke
26-07-14, 02:32 AM
No need to really, some clubs like the titans do 5, 10, 40 mtr darts.

His fend for his size is every bit as deadly as GIs

teke
26-07-14, 03:07 AM
Marika - Mamo - Mead - Roberts

Make it happen, its not like these players will be busy on GF day :D

Titans flyer James Roberts has been generally considered as the fastest man in the NRL, particularly since he gave Krisnan Inu almost 15 metres start and ran him down in 2011.

However, the Melbourne’s Storm’s new recruit Marika Koroibete could be even faster.

When the Raiders Jarrod Croker grabbed an intercept pass from Cooper Cronk in the 76 minute on Saturday night, Koroibete was on the opposite side of the ground and some 25 metres behind Croker. But he almost managed to catch him over 80 metres.

The Storm’s GPS tracking clocked Koroibete at 37.3kph (23.2mph)

The Storm were playing the Raiders and not the Broncos but Koroibete was running just as fast as a real four legged Bronco.

A horse averages 40kph (25mph) and the Jamaican world record holder Usain Bolt has topped 44km/h at his fastest during a 100m race. The six-time Olympic champion averages over 37.5kmh as he thunders down the track over 100m.

Compare the flying Fijian Koroibete with Matt Shirvington, who claimed five consecutive Australian national titles for the 100 metres sprint event, including the 1998 Commonwealth Games.

Marika Koroibete ran the equivalent of 10.36 seconds last Saturday night in footy boots on a bog track after nearly 80 minutes of game time, which was not a surprise given he was clocked at 10.75 over 100 metres three years ago in Fiji.

Koroibete grew up on his family farm in the remote Fijian village of Navaiyawa and to get to his home town he had to travel 20 kilometres a day over hills by foot to get to school and back.

When Koroibete’s father said goodbye to him at the airport he told him to not come back unless he has a contract. It was not long before he was signed by Wests Tigers but was quickly snapped up by the Storm.

“I’m playing with some of the best (players) in the world and a good coach too,” the quietly spoken Koroibete said.

James Roberts has clocked 36kph but has several team mates who are also rockets, like Albert Kelly, David Mead and Kevin Gordon.

Other NRL players who have registered on the GPS as flyers include Glen Fisiiahi (36kph), Shaun Johnson (35kph), Manu Vatuvei (34kph).

Let’s hope the NRL Marketing Department has taken note. A match race between James Roberts and Marika Koroibete would be exciting prior to the grand final, and while the winner is in doubt, the two speedsters would not be out of place in Glasgow tomorrow for the XX Commonwealth games.

karnage
27-07-14, 12:36 PM
An Alternative Headline:

GREG BIRD REMINDS ME OF SOMEBODY WHO SHOULD BE TRADED AT THE END OF 2014

teke
27-07-14, 01:04 PM
An Alternative Headline:

GREG BIRD REMINDS ME OF SOMEBODY WHO SHOULD BE TRADED AT THE END OF 2014Yes yes yes YES

TITAN PETE
27-07-14, 01:51 PM
An Alternative Headline:

GREG BIRD REMINDS ME OF SOMEBODY WHO SHOULD BE TRADED AT THE END OF 2014

As long as he takes the Co Captain & the Turd Package with him

Titanic
27-07-14, 02:29 PM
Totally agree ... get the cancer out ... that little gang of turkeys have gobbled the club up ... when players run your club (and I consider Cartwright nothing more than an ex-player in denial) then the club is doomed.